Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys. This is Nick Shot screaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 2: And the official Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: At now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Nicky Spagnola. It is Friday, and you know what that means.
Speaker 2: That means that should be easy.
Speaker 4: Dry a new producer's story.
Speaker 2: All start on that one.
Speaker 3: He did such a great job yesterday and he's got so much that on his plate.
Speaker 2: And he o'll put a lot of his plate today Exactly. Y'all got a lot of waiting for that.
Speaker 3: So I went a way off silent country.
Speaker 4: Here we are.
Speaker 3: It is a fabulous Football Friday edition of Mixed Shots inside the SWBC podcast studio where we take our hats and our glasses off. Mickey still has his glasses off.
Speaker 1: What you're supposed to take him off?
Speaker 3: You're supposed to take your hat and your glasses off. Do you know that, Mickey my hat have some respect for us.
Speaker 1: My hat is in the car. My glasses aren't sonnies.
Speaker 3: Okay, we pay homage to Dion back here on the wall. Yeah, how much how many points is Deon going to put up on j Norville and the Colorado State Rams after that, Covent.
Speaker 2: He'll put in Grambling. He puts sixty six on us if I'm not mistaken, So it'll be along that fashion. I'm guessing.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing forty.
Speaker 2: Just forty forty. Oh yeah, that's insulting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he ain't putting the JV in at the end.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, He's going to keep his son in the entire game.
Speaker 3: There are no JV players who came in the transfer portal to Colorado.
Speaker 2: Hey, by the way, uh, Heisman candidate.
Speaker 3: Try shoot or sign us right up there with Caleb Williams and Quinn.
Speaker 1: Yours crazy man right for two games, right right?
Speaker 2: Just think about that, wouldn't it be kind of cool? You know, he come through here and then the Cowboys would draft him, and then Dion will come here and coach come on, come on, man, you love that boy. You have so much work after that, that'd be too much going on.
Speaker 1: I'd have to retire.
Speaker 3: And I don't know, and we aren't going to talk all about that over the course of the next forty five minutes. But I don't understand there, Like everybody is in Boulder this weekend for their pregame shows, and Fox is there for about the third straight week and ESPN College Game Day, and everybody.
Speaker 4: Sixty minutes is they're doing something. Yeah, they really, And.
Speaker 3: They're playing Colorado State. They got Oregon in USC the next two weeks. In two weeks from now, they're playing SC. You think they're If they beat Oregon, they're for sure going to be back in Boulder for the SC game. That's going to be the two Heisman favorites against each other.
Speaker 1: As I was going through the list of games, I didn't see anything I had to watch until I got nine o'clock on Saturday night. In Colorado State, there's no you know, really riveting games unless it's Missouri Kansas does.
Speaker 3: All you need to know about how much confidence Mickey has it is Missoo Tigers against the reigning Big twelve champion, the Kansas State Wildcats, who don't have Douce Vaughan anymore, who pummeled them last year. All right, we had Thursday Night football last night they had the Eagles and the Vikings, a thirty four to twenty eight win for Philly, kicking off our NFL weekend Cowboys Jets three, twenty five, Sunday afternoon with Jim Nansen Tony Romo on the call on the CBS.
Speaker 1: Got I've got one question. Yes, as bad as the Vikings play played, how did they only lose by six points?
Speaker 4: That's a very good question.
Speaker 3: And they were four turnovers, fumble the football away four times. So when they scored, because two fifty nine to twenty eight, that would be the rushing yards. Philadelphia had two hundred and fifty nine yards rushing in Minnesota had twenty eight and lost by six.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: Well, but each team is different. I mean, one team is good at running the ball. One team is good at passing the ball, cousins, one team's good turn over. They're going to run the ball, they're going to pass the ball. That's their best way of winning the game. And even despite turnovers, they were still able to stay in the ball game. But it was always catch up.
Speaker 3: It was catch up, and it was the touchdown that was fumbled through the d zone.
Speaker 1: It was top seven until that happened.
Speaker 2: That was tough. Yeah, that was all right.
Speaker 3: So we let's convene the competition committee here, what do we do about that rule?
Speaker 4: The fumble through the bumble through the end zone rule.
Speaker 1: Tell these young kids to quit reaching for the goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't say do anything with it as it is. Yeah, that's a properly good with it.
Speaker 4: If they got the rule like that, you got to coach.
Speaker 2: You keep throwing the ball out thinking, yeah you get tackled. Oops. You like the Raiders. Remember the Raiders with the fumble purpose on purpose.
Speaker 4: Well they changed the rule on that. Yeah, of course, but because or the Dave Casper.
Speaker 1: Rule, and the reason the rule is the way it is is because they don't want people fumbling the ball into the end zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that's a good call. Don't change that at all.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Now, I heard others complaining about the formation that you guys talk.
Speaker 3: Yes, that rugby formation and the rule of allowing teammate to push the player with the football forward.
Speaker 2: And I was talking to a friend of mine. I brought up to him that you had a little beef with that formats. You said people might get hurt. To my mind, I can't see how people can get hurt on that. I want you guys to kind of build on that quickly.
Speaker 3: Well, in fact, there's a lot of a lot of astute NFL people who are upset with that for safety reasons. In fact, a guy that a proponent of getting rid of that, who has some experience in rugby, Pat Kirwan, who's gone serious NFL radio, former GM in this league. He's been on that soap box all off season.
Speaker 2: That you got it, I don't understand.
Speaker 3: And it's because everyone's getting solow to the ground and you got so much humanity is going to come down on the top of somebody's neck. And on the one, and there's and he has experience in rugby.
Speaker 2: In general, then they would know to protect themselves there.
Speaker 3: Well, they can't at a certain I mean you got you can't wait on you.
Speaker 1: And on that one the Vikings were jumping over the top, which you can't do that on extra points right, and they're jumping over the top landing on top. And on that one I saw somebody had his arm behind Hurts and he was like dragging him. They weren't just pushing, they were pulling too. It's just not football. Yeah, no, wonder they put up the thing. He's done it at thirty one last year, nine or ten conversions. I don't know how you miss.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: I heard other former players talking about how they are going to deliberately start jumping you know, some of going delivery, start jumping over so that they can, you know, get this thing really taken out of the whole game, right. You know, they're going to sabotage it basically, see what you're saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jalen Hurts is strong enough on his own to.
Speaker 2: Get that first.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So uh but anyway, the Eagles.
Speaker 3: Survive, well I say survive, I mean they are out rushing them by that much.
Speaker 4: They should win.
Speaker 3: And as Mickey pointed out, the amazing thing was how close the game was. They've got some questions in Philadelphia on both sides of the ball, their own passing game. And Kirk Cousins threw for over three hundred and fifty yards in that game.
Speaker 1: How many times had Hurts get sacked? You got the stats there.
Speaker 3: I had this I think twice twice, I think, but because they were putting a lot of pressure on him, I had it called up earlier this morning as a matter of fact.
Speaker 2: So if you will stall for two seconds, well, well then you have your receiver. Yeah, like man, he's receivers. Boy, nothing ever changes, does it?
Speaker 1: On the deep passes.
Speaker 2: Well, it was that Brown. Brown said he wasn't getting targeted. Oh yeah, they were sidelines. I can't see Jalen arguing with anybody, you know, I could just see him trying to be the calming off right between that he and that and his receiver doing that conversation.
Speaker 3: Cousins was sacked twice, how much Hurts. Hurts was sacked four times, three of them by my guide, danil Hunter, who somehow lasted all the way to the eighty eighth pick of the draft in twenty fifteen and now has seventy five sacks and seven plus seasons.
Speaker 4: In the NFL.
Speaker 1: I forgot he was from LSU too.
Speaker 3: Yes, and he'd had about three sacks in college at LSU, which may be one of the reasons why.
Speaker 4: But if you saw him coming out of the ydds.
Speaker 2: Why would he all of a sudden be sold. Well, if you.
Speaker 3: Look back at at his time at LSU, you know, back then the SEC was strictly a run first conference, and you can you could tell he was coached to stop the run first. But if he pinned his ears back and came out after you, and it showed in his combine numbers, he ran like a four or five eight the combine.
Speaker 4: And damn he's I mean he is.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's built like a Greek god. And there's no surprise that he's at seventy five sacks now seven.
Speaker 4: Years in the league.
Speaker 1: Hurts, how many times he run?
Speaker 4: Jalen Hurts had.
Speaker 3: Let's see twelve carries for thirty five yards and two touchdowns, eighteen out of twenty three passing for one hundred and ninety three yards, two of them coming on passes to DeVante Smith, covering about one hundred and something yards.
Speaker 1: They couldn't cover. They look, they're dancing with the devil on him running the ball like that. At some point, some point, you're playing with the odds, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And you look at Philadelphia and what they have coming up now.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're having to sort through some.
Speaker 3: Things right now on both sides of the ball, but they have this going for them. It's eleven days before they play another game now, they have the Mini by now, and they're playing Monday night next week, the twenty fifth, at Tampa Bay and then they get Washington and then they're at the Rams and at the Jets.
Speaker 4: Better watch out for the Rams.
Speaker 2: We better watch out for the Rams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I look at six and zero right there before they play Miami on October twenty second.
Speaker 2: Did you see that running game?
Speaker 4: Their Their schedule gets a lot tougher the second.
Speaker 2: You see where they kept running the ball swift? Yeah, not just where they were running right up right up the middle, right the middle, Yeah, right up the middle. We know who's up the middle on that. And every time I looked up, he's standing up looking all steadish, like, yeah, I just opened that hole for him. Yeah, I know this Kelsey dude is a stud boy. Yeah, he's too much. He just looked like a man out there every time they ran the ball. It's too much.
Speaker 3: And there's bit of news that has been passed along to me by producer Supreme, who's making amends for his false starts to begin the show. Eagles cornerback of Ante Maddox here to have torn his pectorial during Thursday Nights.
Speaker 1: Went over the Viking and they were already without Bradbury. Yep, okay, so all right, so the Jets they might have to find a kicker. Do you see that?
Speaker 3: That brings up another thing from last night, because Greg Zerline is their kicker.
Speaker 4: That's right, okay.
Speaker 3: And when they lined up for the on side kick at the end of the game last night and they set the ball on its side without a tea, the little watermelon exactly.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what we all think of. And so I was going, what.
Speaker 6: Are we the only ones Cowboys saw observers that know that that's the watermelont Yeah, I mean because both Herb Street and Michael there was oh man, they've got it lined up on the side.
Speaker 4: What are they doing here? That's strange.
Speaker 3: Usually you would have a tea and you would pop it up and on that third hop that's when you get it.
Speaker 4: You can't you can't do apparently, guy said Atlanta.
Speaker 1: I turned it off after it was the.
Speaker 4: Last night this is over the Cowboys Cowboys Atlanta game from Yeah, but it most people are on social media and it did go viral.
Speaker 3: So I did a little throwback Thursday and out yeah last night CBS eleven pillims and but I was like, I mean, I just it's it's almost like the Hail Mary. I mean, okay, you throw a pass like that, it's gonna it's the Hail Mary.
Speaker 4: If if any kicker lines up a ball. It's it's forever known as the watermelon cat exactly. Now, he did not.
Speaker 3: Execute it nearly like Greg Surline did. And I don't know that you can really execute it on a grass field.
Speaker 2: That's that's so true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true. What's up with Sirline?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: The grass slows it down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, well it doesn't it doesn't have the same English.
Speaker 4: But really, it really showed me English.
Speaker 2: You know I was gonna spend.
Speaker 3: It really showed you how Zerline mastered that kick. I mean, you got to have the perfect touch on.
Speaker 5: It where it just barely goes across, all right, that's probably the key to it's on the kick.
Speaker 1: If Douglas Douglas is listening and he's always hunting cow bytes, that's his cow bytes.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: So what about Zerline?
Speaker 1: Zerline uh sore growing at the end of practice yesterday. It wasn't on the injury report.
Speaker 4: But where did you learn of this?
Speaker 1: Well? Sala told everybody this morning in his press conference after practice that Greg Zuerlin didn't practice. He's got a sore growing, and he kind of said it's it's not serious, but it's fifty to fifty if they if he can kick on Sunday. Okay, So what they're gonna have to do is sign a veteran kicker to the practice squad if somebody wants to come to Dallas. Uh and and then if he can't kick on Sunday when they warm up, then they elevate them as one of their practice squad elevations.
Speaker 4: Thomas Morstead is their punter s m u.
Speaker 1: X and I think he can kick off, So that means Robbie Goole would be in play. But the same three guys are still out there, Mason Crosby, Ryan suck Up and Robbie Goole.
Speaker 2: I mean it doesn't take much of bringing the kicking.
Speaker 1: No, can you know those guys probably been practicing being ready for it. So but yeah, that was big, big headlines in the.
Speaker 4: The viscayno side anywhere ither or Liam hallelujah, or.
Speaker 1: They could poach mar off the Rams. I think he's active, he's active, he's Oh did you see what else they tried to do? They tried to where are my notes? They tried to poach Brett Ripping off the RAMS practice squad, and the RAMS elevated him to He's.
Speaker 3: The first guy I thought Yeah, he's the first guy I thought of that they would probably go after.
Speaker 4: Because he was the backup in Denver.
Speaker 3: Uh, with the offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett. You're looking for somebody who has familiarity with his offense. And I didn't realize at the time until I saw that story that he was on the practice squad with the Rams, and the Rams signed him to their fifty three, knowing that the poaching was about to happen.
Speaker 1: And the Rams said, but they were going to do it anyway.
Speaker 7: It's like okay, right, Well, and then they had their own issue with Stetson Bennett, who went on the Non Football NFI listened shoulder injury.
Speaker 4: Is that what it was?
Speaker 1: That's what they said. It was like, I just.
Speaker 4: I just heard a quote from.
Speaker 1: Was he playing outside on the street or something?
Speaker 3: Well, I just heard a heard a quote from Sean McVay that what.
Speaker 4: He's dealing with is bigger than football.
Speaker 2: Oh so okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: So all right, what about the Cowboys injury situation? Oh this regeneration Friday.
Speaker 1: Doctor Jerry kind of sounded like Tyler Smith not ready to go. But if we anybody to watch practice yesterday and saw him doing rehab on the side. I mean he was doing the rehab well, but he hadn't practiced all week. And I think if you missed two full weeks, you probably need a practice, a real practice before you go out and play.
Speaker 2: So it'll be.
Speaker 3: Former New York Jet third round draft pick Tchuma Edoga going left guard, exactly about Zach Marlin for two. Speaking of growing injury.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw some surprising names on the We'll see.
Speaker 1: We'll see where that one goes. Because he did they list They listed him as did not or limited limited. Yeah, so that means he just didn't do every everything. At least he was out there in pads, right, So we I mean we saw that Donovan Wilson got some padded snaps in practice.
Speaker 4: Burying the lead here.
Speaker 1: Brandon Cooks, I was going through my ye rolling with the long way, and then Brandon Cooks, well, that one was well known, right or was not?
Speaker 4: What we need to make sure everyone knows.
Speaker 2: Like me, finish the statement, please, which one?
Speaker 4: Brandon cooks?
Speaker 1: So he has not practiced these last two days. He has a low grade m c L spring.
Speaker 4: Grade grade one and if it's.
Speaker 1: Grade one, that means it's irritated. It's not doesn't have a tear. So the Super Bowl, he'd play, yes, and he still could play.
Speaker 2: They'll everyone us.
Speaker 1: Right, they'll take it. They'll take it to Sunday, and there's still.
Speaker 4: Twenty more games before this steam plays in the Super.
Speaker 1: But we talked about it yesterday, right because we I talked about how he was doing the rehab stuff and he was moving pretty well. So but again it was forward and backwards. It wasn't sideways. And that's the problem with the m c L problem.
Speaker 4: So doctor Jerry said something about it or not.
Speaker 1: We're going to see.
Speaker 2: We're going to see.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, so it's wait and see on.
Speaker 1: Brain keeping, keeping those that information close to.
Speaker 3: The vestment, okay, and Mickey, and today you seem to be yeah.
Speaker 1: It see what I got underneath when he said that, yes, and they don't. They don't practice today, they practice tomorrow. So today's is an estimation type deal. So they'll probably estimate did not practice, okay, and then you will get an update on.
Speaker 3: He will not be ruled out to know no, yes, okay. We're just getting started here on a mixed shot, so much more to get you ready for Cowboys versus Jets when we come back in a moment.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and.
Speaker 9: They snapped the Prescott who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll run for a perch down.
Speaker 2: Just like football.
Speaker 8: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot Com?
Speaker 10: You know that sounded any It's the crisp crunch, the first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio, sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of school PEPSI finish nachos better with PEPSI.
Speaker 2: That's what I like.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite Wood of Pairing can cracks a kickoff Tailgate's going way past postgame Sunday Night overtimes followed by Monday Morning Swager, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lte and the Cluck, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football tastes like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three. Miller Brown Company, fort Worth, Texas, The Mic Shots.
Speaker 1: Kate Pros Roofing and waterproofing the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: All right, Mickey has given permission to open the phone lines here on this fabulous Football Friday edition of Mixed Shots eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. If you've got an opinion on what's going on on leading up to this game against the Jets, and so, what is it that concerns you the most about the New York Jets. Obviously their defense very strong and starting Zach Wilson at quarterback and not Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: I always said yesterday, the running game. That's what bothers me. The running game. The way they ran it well against a pretty good team in Buffalo. That concerned me. And also the fact that we were giving up five yards per slice in the running game until the wheels came off for the Giants.
Speaker 4: So yeah, till the Giants decided not to run the bar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after I first had the hell out of everybody for some misuson. So yeah, that's it. You gotta worry about how we're going to control it. And once you start giving up the running game, and let's face it, guys, you've got good wide receivers out there, and you know, Zach Wilson. If you let it, you give a guy like that confidence, you know what can happen. And with the Cowboys there's always this Murphy's law. Whatever can happen will happen. You have to look at that as well when you prepare for a game. I'm not just talking as a fan who doesn't want to be frustrated. If I'm a player, then that's how I approach the game. Make sure those two things don't happen.
Speaker 1: And they they their offensive line now they ran the ball well right, but their past blast blocking one all that growth and.
Speaker 3: Makai Beckton at right tackle, former first round draft pick number eleven overall.
Speaker 2: But was getting eaten alive.
Speaker 3: He only has fourteen now fifteen starts in his career. Left tackle Dwayne Brown has two hundred and fifteen starts in his career. He's at the other end of the spectrum, thirty eight years old, and he's been He was a first round draft pick all the way back in two thousand and eight, fifteen years ago. They've got four first round draft picks on their offensive line.
Speaker 2: And when when Aaron Rodgers was back there, he was pressured every time he went.
Speaker 1: Back to pass and he only tried.
Speaker 2: Three times, and each time he was a facing pressure.
Speaker 1: And there was a reason why he got venture right. Right, So the Cowboys need to if they're going to throw the ball, need to take advantage, you know. The other thing I saw and he and it was early. They were cut blocking. They were diving on the tackles, were going down down on the ground to cut them.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And when Micah finished yesterday, when he was walking off, I walked, I said, did you see them cut blocking? He goes, oh, yeah, he goes, you gotta be careful about that, but he goes, I saw it, So you gotta be ready to jump in the air go over. But they were diving, Yeah, was it?
Speaker 2: You think it was just to bring the arms down so they could try some quick passes. I think so.
Speaker 1: And that was both of their first moves.
Speaker 3: But whoever they were supposed to throw the ball to wasn't open apparently because there was like there, Like Mickey said, it was like I saw it one time with Becton, who was his first move. And then okay, quarterback didn't get rid of the ball and so within one more second that player that he was supposed to be blocking is right on the quarterback.
Speaker 1: So that's another reason why they got to stop the run because you force him to throw the ball right.
Speaker 2: But you after having run success.
Speaker 1: Right, because now that slows you down.
Speaker 2: You got the linebackers coming up.
Speaker 1: But they all everybody I talked to in there, they knew it, right, they knew they know they've got to stop the run and that it's got to improve over last year. I think last week jay Ron Curse told me, you know, I said, well, last year, you know, it wasn't that good. He goes, we had too many guys trying to make the play instead of making the play within the scheme of the defense. So you know, it's almost like we don't need any heroes against it.
Speaker 2: And that sounds he's said and done, but control yourself last year and it still didn't get through. But as a team, it's just tough, you know, and it's got to be something that obviously takes an entire off season hopefully to correct. And look, they still came out. Guys weren't really trying to overplay things. We weren't getting hit for big plays. But you don't want this to turn into that, right, You don't want this to turn into that.
Speaker 1: Now, I was looking up Wilson's stats throwing the ball, I didn't look on if he actually ran much during his starts.
Speaker 3: He Let's see, last year he had twenty eight carries for one hundred and two yards average three point six yards of carry. His rookie season, twenty nine carries one hundred and eighty five yards average six point four yards of carry and four touchdowns.
Speaker 4: I mean he can run. He doesn't run a lot.
Speaker 3: That was in last year he made nine starts and twenty eight rushes. Thirteen starts his rookie year, twenty nine rushes.
Speaker 2: I don't think with with Avon Rodgers out, you only got two quarterbacks. I don't think he should be trying.
Speaker 1: Here's here's the thing I saw at the stat that's not by design. Duck out to me. Uh, and he had twenty two starts. He's eight and fourteen. Now that's not all the quarterbacks. He's actually nine and forty nine. That's right.
Speaker 4: No, No, he's actually nine and fourteen.
Speaker 3: He doesn't get credit for his win on Monday Night, right, Rogers gets.
Speaker 4: Credit for that Oh wow place.
Speaker 3: That's where we need an official score in football, you know, like in baseball, you have to go five as a starter to get the win.
Speaker 2: You need to go at least five guy that comes in leg just to believe it.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's like that that gets credit for that win against the Giants where he got hurt.
Speaker 1: As you guys digress forgot. Yeah, it's been sacked sixty nine times, sixty nine times for minus five hundred and fifty the eight yards, so almost ten yards of sack.
Speaker 2: And that's clearly because of lack of recognition. Right, he can't see what he can't see, and if the Cowboys are doing their job, they can keep him confused with our team speed.
Speaker 1: So if you if you slow down the run, then that means you have an opportunity to give him less time in the pocket to try to get comfortable.
Speaker 2: And we're known for that, giving them giving a quarterback less time, known for that.
Speaker 3: So both sides of the ball. Which matchups are you looking forward to? The most individual matchups?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know that they've got somebody on their offensive line that we're going to sit there and go, well, they're going to shut down to Marcus Lawrence.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what I'm looking forward to, the match taking their trying to stop them.
Speaker 2: So Tyron Smith looks good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tyron's good.
Speaker 2: Okay, So who's he going against?
Speaker 3: Well that you know, they have that wh nine scheme where they put their defensive ends way out on the.
Speaker 2: Edge, and he's bringing number ninety one that's coming.
Speaker 3: And John Franklin Myers out of Steven F. Austin in Greenville, Texas had five sacks last year. The inside guy, Quinn Williams let him with twelve.
Speaker 1: Si Ago, Well that's got.
Speaker 8: Him.
Speaker 3: You look for the A and B gap on love that guy. But John Franklin Myers lines up at one of those wide nine s.
Speaker 4: But it was interesting, Yes, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: Carl Lawson was not on the injury report number fifty eight and did not play against Buffalo.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: He had seven sacks last year. Really strong guy, uh six and sixty pounds and you know has you know, he's a veteran guy.
Speaker 1: Doesn't he have to be on there and say full If he didn't play last week, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure why he didn't play.
Speaker 3: So though, the and they've got another second year player, first round draft pick number eleven, Jermaine Johnson out of Florida State, actually started his college career at Georgia. He had a sack against the Bills, their first round pick this year, the Cowboys liked. I know, will McDonald only got in for thirteen snaps in his first game and he was fifteenth pick in the draft this year.
Speaker 2: So all I know is when you look at the last game against Buffalo, I saw number ninety one put in constant pressure and bull left bull rust every time. Yeah, and that so that's something you can see the matchup coming, especially when you talk about, you know, Williams, Williams inside the matchup for me though, you know, if they get a chance to pass it enough, I'd like to see Wilson and DB's going at it against each other. That wide receiver corps is pretty respectful on that end, and they're very feisty. They battle for every ball. I'd like to see if he gets a chance, if Zach Wilson gets a chance to throw it down the field, I'd love to see those matchups. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then conversely, Sauce Gardner against the Cowboy.
Speaker 2: Receiver, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: We need protection up front from either one of those two.
Speaker 2: Happen either side.
Speaker 3: That's what I was looking at that receivers versus corners. Sauce Gardner, who was the defensive Rookie of the Year last.
Speaker 4: Year for the Jets.
Speaker 3: Six to three guy out of Cincinnati and very athletic, runs a four to four and him when.
Speaker 2: He's matching faster than that, Yeah, he looks fast.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're six three, you're covering Brown.
Speaker 2: Right, so he looks really good.
Speaker 3: And then either one of the Cowboys corners against Garrett Wilson.
Speaker 1: That's why the pressure on the quarterback, that's how you control.
Speaker 4: Garrett.
Speaker 2: Well, you'll see some good secondary play in this game, not just good athletes, but this disciplined leets.
Speaker 3: Okay, coming up here on mix shots our picks to click in predictions for Sunday.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite would a pairing can cracks, a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swag Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lte and the two America's team playing America's Greatest School. Miller Lte the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football tastes like middle of Time. Celebrate responsibly twenty twenty three Miliberum Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: They snapped the fresh guy who looks right, It's not there. He escaped flapped. He'll love full French down.
Speaker 4: Just like football.
Speaker 8: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 4: Prescott's gonna run this ship.
Speaker 1: Shelf run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi. And we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana because while you can pile thoseos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of school. Petsy, finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 4: That's what I like.
Speaker 1: Gave that story.
Speaker 8: That's it and rejoins up and go.
Speaker 1: Rally Days, presented by seat Geet, give NFL fans an experience of a lifetime the day prior to the Dallas Cowboy home games on September sixteenth. Enjoy activities at Miller Lighthouse, get a behind the scenes tour of at and T Stadium, and more. Visit at T Stadium dot com Slash Rally Days for more information and to get your tickets today.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, all right, get you ready for Cowboys Jets. We make our picks. We uh start with our pod pics. Okay, everybody, all podcasts making their picks. And here's the question this week for the pod pick, who scores the first receiving touchdown for the Cowboys?
Speaker 4: What do you I'll go first?
Speaker 1: All right, don't take mine.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with the same guy that I picked last week? Who would score the first touchdown for the Cowboys? The first receiving touchdown for the Cowboys. He should have tight end Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: I'm sticking with stubborn. I hope I didn't jinx. I think I jinxed him last week.
Speaker 1: I've got Tony Pollard.
Speaker 3: Okay, Tony Pollard with the first receiving touchdown.
Speaker 1: You can double up?
Speaker 2: Is that me?
Speaker 1: He's good. He had his hand in front of his mouth while he was thinking.
Speaker 3: And Tony Pollard, by the way, had three receiving touchdowns last season.
Speaker 2: If he does score, it's going to be a swing pass. Yeah yeah, if he does score first. But I say fade route, ceedee lamb. Okay, I picked Michael Gallup last week. Did Mike even catch a pass? Last week?
Speaker 4: He caught one pass for ten yards.
Speaker 2: Last week, I say, ceedee lamb.
Speaker 1: He should have had a deep ball. Dack threw it out of bones. He had the guy beat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he threw it away.
Speaker 1: He threw it away.
Speaker 2: He did throw it away.
Speaker 4: Yes, Okay, so you're going with the chalk Lamb.
Speaker 2: There you go. What's it? What's his nickname? Oh?
Speaker 4: I just said you're going with the favorite?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Chalk he's so cool. Meant the betting face.
Speaker 2: He's so cool.
Speaker 3: All right now, Yeah, picks for the game and our picks to click in the game.
Speaker 4: Ever sing you want to go.
Speaker 2: First, I am going first. I'm all prepared for you guys. All right, last time we just we sucked.
Speaker 4: We all got it right.
Speaker 3: We all picked the Cowboys to win, and I came closest on the score with thirty points and they scored forty.
Speaker 2: I'm giving a click. I'm giving more credit to the defense. I'm not gonna have them giving up twenty one points. I'm gonna have them giving up seventeen points. Hopefully this is like an oh, by the way field goal at the end. They're gonna play very solid offensively. Gonna take us a while, but I think we'll get our wheels on just twenty eight to seventeen Cowboys. Ceedee Lamb, two touchdowns.
Speaker 4: Ceede Lamb, not one but two touchdowns first and another. Okay, that's right.
Speaker 2: What was scoring twenty eight to seventeen?
Speaker 4: Twenty eight seventeen Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Well, we're sort of in the same same.
Speaker 2: You are next. According to my roster.
Speaker 1: I've got the Cowboys winning, and a little of this has to do with the Jets having problems with their kicking game. So it's going to be twenty six sixteen Cowboys.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go for two.
Speaker 1: They're gonna go for They're going to go for two. They're going to go for two each time. They're gonna make it and make it. That's how they're getting to succeed Nate sixteen.
Speaker 4: Interesting work on the goal line defense.
Speaker 1: I'll take you back like that, which I thought of that before life.
Speaker 4: I knew was great.
Speaker 2: You picked, you picked the score, You picked the score.
Speaker 4: Now and you're picked to click.
Speaker 1: Oh I got to pick the click.
Speaker 4: Yes, we do this every week every week.
Speaker 1: For you know what, I'm doubling down Tony Pollard.
Speaker 4: Tony Pollard.
Speaker 1: First, we're receiving touchdown and he will be the pick to click.
Speaker 4: Okay, nice, all right?
Speaker 3: I had a final score that I just changed because of what you pointed out about the zerline.
Speaker 4: So you're gonna put twelve now, that's not a bad idea.
Speaker 2: You're gonna miss the extraport.
Speaker 3: All right, I've got the defensive struggle. And how did the Jets win on Monday Night? I believe they won it all the time on a Xavier Xavier get Gibson return walk off punt return. Well, this week we're going to overtime and the Cowboys are gonna win.
Speaker 4: Twenty two to sixteen, same score as the Monday night game.
Speaker 3: Way, Cavante Turpin sixty yard punt return for a touchdown.
Speaker 1: All right, this is supposed to be serious.
Speaker 3: I am serious that the girl was.
Speaker 2: Come on, guys, what do we doing?
Speaker 4: Cavante Turpin punt returned for a touchdown?
Speaker 2: Oh? In overtime?
Speaker 4: In overtime?
Speaker 2: Come on, man, it can't happen twice and row the same team. It will same score. It's come on, man, you are really He must have a lot of money on the line. He needs to win this one, so he needs a long shot. Nobody nobody needs a long shot. So we're looking Turpin as you picked the click click.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, one's uh, trying to look for a little history here. Last time the Cowboys had back to back shutouts. I have to go look it up.
Speaker 2: We musty man, that'd have to go way back.
Speaker 1: No, the last two games of the two thousand and nine season, they beat Washington seventeen to nothing and then beat Philadelphia at twenty four to nothing, and then went into the playoffs and beat Philadelphia again the next week in the wild card game thirty four fourteen would you two thousand and nine season? And then Waite Phillips Wis came off. Wait Phillips made the biggest mistake of his coaching history. They went to Minnesota, a Minnesota team that I think was like averaging thirty points a game. They were piling up all kinds of points, and on the first possession, the Cowboys drove downfield and they had like a fourth and two, fourth and three in somewhat makeable field goal position, and he went for the field goal. As I was saying, field goals aren't going to beat this team, they got beat thirty four to three.
Speaker 2: Well fags, sorry, And then what happened It was way more than the.
Speaker 1: Field goal went down hill. Right after that.
Speaker 2: You're gonna say that's the most important.
Speaker 1: Worst.
Speaker 2: It was way more than the field goal three Yeah, yeahs. Yeah, they would have lost thirty four to seven. And if they were a score maybe not.
Speaker 3: Then the Cowboys couldn't stop anybody the whole first half of the next season, and Wade Phillips was out as the head coach halfway through the twenty ten seasons because.
Speaker 1: The offensive line suddenly got old overnight. They were terrible, just terrible, although Jason kind of turned it around.
Speaker 4: That's why.
Speaker 3: But in that season we went five and three and three, and that's why there was a priority in the draft.
Speaker 4: Tyron Smith, followed by Travis Frederick following.
Speaker 1: Years later, and the next year yep, and next thing you know, you got culture and now you had an offensive line that you could run the ball behind.
Speaker 4: A couple of minutes left.
Speaker 3: Here is this a game where I was thinking about some of the memorable plays in Cowboys history and the kicking game. When the throwback Thursday with the watermelon.
Speaker 1: Onside kick back to where are we started?
Speaker 3: The Randall Williams on kick return for a touchdown about twenty years ago, Okay, that popped into okay, and then I got to think, is this a game where the let's say the Jets are kicking off to start the game. Is this a game where if you're in the position of the Jets, you would start off the game.
Speaker 4: With an on sidekick. No, I don't think so either.
Speaker 2: It shows desperation and their defense.
Speaker 4: So you look at it two ways.
Speaker 3: Their defense is good enough and Sally has so much defensive coach.
Speaker 4: Defensive coach is not going to put his defense in that position.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, he would say, well, even if we don't, if we mess up on the off sidekick, my defense is good enough to hold him at.
Speaker 1: Bay and worth taking that chance.
Speaker 2: But it shows desperation. He's not going to come in with a bunch of tricks.
Speaker 1: That was like last night, there was all this emotion to start the game, and here is the kickf off.
Speaker 2: What happens.
Speaker 3: But you can also look at it if you see a tendency, If you see a tendency where especially because all the kicks are going out of the end zone, and you see a tendency, you have to the other team that they're peeling back.
Speaker 2: You have to see And by the way, there's a difference between looking for trick plays and really trying to head your bets on little things like that. Strategy. Yes, I can see that doing that a lot. This game would mean a lot for them if they were to cover every base to make sure they saw everything.
Speaker 4: And Sean Payton did it in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: I mean we got but he he was, he was, he was realizing he needed to steal a possession because they went doing a very full job.
Speaker 2: I was slowing them down. I can see a lot of strategy here. Yeah, that's about the bet no tricks, no tricky stuff.
Speaker 8: That's why Peyton started his Denver career with an on sidekick on Sunday.
Speaker 4: I did not know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, appenally illegal touching and the Raiders got the balls.
Speaker 4: The game and they lost the game, and they lost the game.
Speaker 1: It was close, too, wasn't it. Yeah it was close seventeen sixteen.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, But I hope that just bringing that up.
Speaker 3: And I know that everyone back in the coaches officers listen to the mix shots, right, that that will bring enough attention to it that they would be watching for the on site veried closely.
Speaker 2: Right, that's right.
Speaker 1: Well, when we when we see John Fossil in the.
Speaker 2: Ready all the time. He'd better be ready for everything.
Speaker 3: Okay, in Missouri beats k State tomorrow, I just hope they keep it close.
Speaker 4: Wow, Case State's a big twelve team. You're in the SEC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't let a big twent first. Oh, Texas beat Alabama list.
Speaker 1: The first week in the SEC?
Speaker 2: Workout right?
Speaker 4: And who's Grambling?
Speaker 2: Gut? I have no idea? Okay, I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma has a cupcake O.
Speaker 4: Colomba plays at Tulsa at fill that you.
Speaker 1: Wear Grambling shirt and you don't know who they're don't know who they're playing.
Speaker 2: Man, I could look at the schedule rat now they are playing. I don't know. It's not they're looking at them. G Su said, Georgia State.
Speaker 1: You know what, when I pulled up red zerline injury, it gave me injuries from when he was here with the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Florida Memorial at Grambling two pm.
Speaker 4: What Florida Memorial.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of them. We have them two pm tomorrow. So we're getting our first win first baby Division two. I don't know, I don't know. They need the money.
Speaker 4: We're all getting the win, getting wins.
Speaker 3: This Weekendsy beats KSE Sate, Grambling beats, Florida Memorial High School and Ou beats.
Speaker 4: And we'll see Missouri playing K State.
Speaker 2: We're playing in high school.
Speaker 3: And will have chat at you again on Monday at noon.
Speaker 2: Go Cowboys and Gramma.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football clubby