Speaker 1: This is too much chocolate.
Speaker 2: You're only two of them, men. I'm anticipating we can take a break at any point.
Speaker 1: Cosha Cosh Show. Well, hey there, welcome to Tosh Show. Eddie, Hey buddy, it's Easter. Oh yeah, you know what that means. A Lincoln logs in me sock drawer.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it means, Lincoln logs.
Speaker 1: In Lincoln logs in me sock drawer. Now, for those of you that don't get that reference, well little Bill Hicks for you. Anyway. Easter, man, I love Easter, probably one of my favorite rabbit centric holidays. Huh is it rabbits? HER's it chickens?
Speaker 3: Wait what bunnies?
Speaker 1: Bunnies? Rabbits and bunnies the same thing for.
Speaker 3: Bunny, but I don't know. Chickens. Bunnies don't lay eggs. Bunny will either do rabbits.
Speaker 1: Guys, he's confusing.
Speaker 3: It's a confusing as the story of Christ.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, okay, anyway, I love Easter. I love the Easter egg hunt. That's my favorite. We do it every day at our house.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: Well, we have a chicken coop. I basically just tell my kids go get the eggs. They're not really hidden. Although my son doesn't like to remove the hens or reach underneath them to grab the eggs. I might just just shoot them away, shoe them away. They bite, I'm like, they don't really bite. They peck. Well, they peck a little bit. That's how they but you just get it if you go quick, they won't. They don't peck me. I put my hands underneath. There are root around. I'm like, oh, that's not an egg. Hello. By the way, just got a new chicken. All right, Okay, now you guys heard the tragic story of Black Betty. Okay, Black Betty has been replaced uh by white pet wow. Mm hmm. She's she's a silky now. She was in a flock of my neighbor's farm, and she's a beauty silky, just a beauty.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't have silkis. I have showgirls, but they're in the same family. I had two white showgirls and and she's like, hey, I think my silky would do good with you because we had two silkies. But my dog killed one of them. And I'm like, oh's tragic. Carl never never messes. He's not even aggressive toward the chickens. But anyway, She's like, can I give you my one silky? And I'm like, well sure, Uh, you know, we'll see if my flock will take her in, because sometimes they'll just peck them to death and kill him if if the other chickens don't like him. But Mike, bring her on over. Let's see how she does. And uh it's she seems to fit in great.
Speaker 3: So far, so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, they're doing they're all they're all great great. I mean, I'm basically just living this house where people just are dropping animals off. The other day, let me try to drop a rabbit off. I said, no, it was the cutest little thing in where I go. No, I got wild rabbits everywhere. I don't need more. By the way, rabbits, Uh, they are a big reason that Carl gets ticks from from time to time.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rabbits carry ticks and uh you know, and and when Carl gets a tick, it's not a big deal. We usually we usually find it get rid of it. But it's so uh concerning because if you get bit by a tick, and you can get lime disease. But here's what you might not know now, I don't want you to look it up because it's probably not true.
Speaker 3: Okay, but in the computer.
Speaker 1: Don't look it up. Don't look it up. Okay. I heard to get lime disease. To get lime disease from a tick, it needs to be on you for like forty eight hours to like two weeks or something. Ridiculous. I'm like, well, if you don't know you have a tick on you for that long, you deserve lime disease. Yeah, now that could be wrong. Why don't you look at it up and see if I'm if I'm in the ballpark, because I'm curious. Now, I certainly don't want anybody in my family to get lime disease. But I also think if if it ticks on you for two weeks, thank you thirty six to forty eight. So my information wasn't completely wrong. The two weeks thing whatever, thirty six hours to four it might as well be a month.
Speaker 3: If it's on there for two days.
Speaker 1: Come on, if you don't know that something's burrowed into your body and eating you for thirty six hours, I mean, then you've got you've got some problems. Thirty person, you're a filthy animal anyway, I don't want to get to do. By the way, she brings this, uh, this bird over and uh, I said, what's her name? You know, got it? I was gonna probably rename her anyway. She says, Oh, we didn't name her chicken. I'm like, oh, I'm like, okay, so now her name is Peggy.
Speaker 4: I'm just thinking, like, what if you had a chicken farm, thousands of chickens. You think they name every one of them?
Speaker 1: You better? I know they do avert Tyson. It says it on the packaging.
Speaker 3: I did hear that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can see the names of the chicken that are the on the Tyson packaging. I think they put that on there. You know. It's like it's like that when you get those lovees, those beanie babies or whatever. It a little backstory on the tag. You're gonna love this chicken. Lucy. She was quite the extrovert. Okay, Well, anyway, Peggy, want to welcome her to the family. And I hope a hawk doesn't get you. Speaking of east Ready Cadbury, are they still in business, because I would go on record as saying Cadberry creamed eggs are the single grossest piece of candy in the history of the world. God, you ever had one?
Speaker 3: Only in an omelet?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's interesting, Eddie's doing Cadberry creamed egg omelets. Sounds good. What do you do? You put a little sponge in there.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we go with either go that or a jelly bean and cheese burrita.
Speaker 1: You ever had a Cadbury cream dig for real?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You have?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Is awful.
Speaker 1: There's no way that's good. The best way to Cadbury cream dig, I would say, is just a poort on your back and slap yourself in the ass.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You feel like you're a part of a production and you're the star.
Speaker 1: There is no chance that that's an enjoyable experience. Now, Cadbury is disgusting. I hope they go out of business. Ah, unless they're a sponsored to this show, then by all means, they did have the cute commercial that. The only thing I like about Cadbury is their annual commercial. Where don't they have something bark bark?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I hope. I just hope before Easter that our president gets the price of Cadbury creamed eggs under control. Amen, that's why you got elected. Ran on it because of Jesus and the price of Cadbury cream eggs. All right, enough of this talk. I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, but I do believe in today's guest. Enjoy mm.
Speaker 3: Casha.
Speaker 1: My guest today is the second generation Chocolate Tear with over thirty years of experience. He and his brother are the Chocolate Kings of Beverly Hills. Please welcome son number one of and Son's Chocolate Tear. Phil. My first question that asked.
Speaker 2: Every guest, Okay, do you believe in ghosts? Oh? I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Check now why am I interviewing you Phil instead of your brother Mark? Was Was there any debate of who should be in the hot seat here?
Speaker 2: I'm son number one? Oh, therefore I get the priority.
Speaker 1: How much older are you than your brother?
Speaker 2: Three years older?
Speaker 1: That's a good difference. Did you enjoy him as a kid, Yeah, like you have a good relationship. Yeah, we were always friends because my brother's just two years younger than me, and I have such fond memories of growing up. And then I talked to my younger brother now is a adult. No, I hated you.
Speaker 2: Do you think he hasn't surprised me with that yet?
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess I tortured him a little more than I realized. But now that we're older, we're good friends. Is working with your brothers had a good idea?
Speaker 2: Yeah for us, it works.
Speaker 1: Well. How long you guys been working together?
Speaker 2: Well, this project's been now five or six years, okay. And previously we always did sort of you know, other stuff on the side together.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: He helped out my mom over the years. So this is just the two of us. It was an easy, you know, pairing.
Speaker 1: You grew up in Los Angeles. Your parents were in a successful chocolate business in Beverly Hills, selling premier chocolate. This is why other parts of the country hate us here in California. You you're aware of that, right. What was childhood like for you?
Speaker 2: It was wonderful, wonderful, very lucky. Lived in La grew up in Westwood around the corner from where the shop was, and had a great younger brother. Parents still together. So growing up, did you eat tons of candy on the chocolate?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: You did?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you have a sweet tooth? I do? Yeah? Dessert at every meal every day? Yes? How you did it? I have it. Do you consider chocolate candy? No, you don't. No, I think I'm with you. I don't ever want candy. I always want chocolate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some chocolate's candy and some chocolate's chocolate too.
Speaker 1: Anyway, how did why did they decide a chocolate shop?
Speaker 2: Well, my mom, she's originally from Brazil. When she came to the United States, she figured out pretty clearly the chocolate really wasn't that great, and so for her, European chocolate was something that was special and enjoyable, and she was able to connect with the manufacturer and start bringing in here so that there was European chocolate here in Los Angeles. And then same thing with coffee, you know, fifteen years later, I think she realized that, well, she realized kind of right away the coffee here isn't also that great. Why don't do coffee too, And so she opened up a cafe, you know, to make local local espressos and brewed coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it's impressive. I mean, I don't ever think I can eyeball a problem and fix it with what do we need more of them?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Beats me. Obviously you grew up. We helped around it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we grew up. We helped her out all the time, Holidays when we opened the cafe, helped her with that, opened the website for her in two thousand and three as the sort of first e commerce, you know, version of the website.
Speaker 1: What made you decide to take over the family business.
Speaker 2: Well, my mom had always suggested it and offered it over the years, and my brother and I didn't live in la And then when we kind of came back here later, she had one last offer and we decided, Hey, you know what, now, now's a good time. We're both here, We're both started moving onto new new types of careers, and it was a good It was a good time.
Speaker 1: Were you negotiating with her? Were you playing hardball?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Is she happy with the direction that you guys have taken the business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's very pumped. She's excited.
Speaker 1: Explain, before you took out, you and your brother took over the business, it wasn't you weren't making your own chocolates for you?
Speaker 2: No, we were not.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, and now, yeah.
Speaker 2: My mom for many, many years imported Swiss chocolate. She had a relationship with a wonderful Swiss manu factor, And when we took over, we realized that it'd sort of become a little out of date sort of boring and you know, traditional, and it was time to kind of re imagine it. So at that point we decided, well we should probably be making our own product as well, and so we brought on a chef, built out a kitchen and really started making the products, you know, the way we wanted to do it.
Speaker 1: What does Anne's sons specialize in.
Speaker 2: Well, we've been doing this for a long time. Originally my mom started, and then when we took over, it really was making it more modern, making it more relevant, using ingredients ethically sourced cacao, local, local dairy to elevate the product, to make it special, and doing you know, thinking about the packaging, making it an experience. So as a gift, it's a special occasion.
Speaker 1: Now your chocolates are made, i mean to sound cliche, the finest ingredients in the world, and your chef that you hired, Chef Sandy from the French Laundry, which is arguably, or not even arguably the fanciest restaurant in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of them.
Speaker 1: I think people say it is the top. At least at one point it was the top, right, all right, she's the pastry chef. That was the change the executive pastry chef. Yeah, executive Patriry number yard you how'd you get her to quit that dump and then come run your world?
Speaker 2: She wanted a change of pace, a change of lifestyle. She was living in Los Angeles at the time, and you know we connected.
Speaker 1: Is she happy with that decision? So far?
Speaker 2: Yes, so far, so good.
Speaker 1: So does the chocolate change if she's not there? It does?
Speaker 2: I mean she makes decisions about everything we do, about the ingredients, about the process, about the freshness, about the design. I mean, we're always thinking of new products.
Speaker 1: So do you know the recipes?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: You don't, I'll be fucked. Oh yeah, Could she give me a recipe for one of your chocolates and I could recreate it? Or is there no way it would happen?
Speaker 2: I don't think you get close.
Speaker 1: I bet I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I don't think you get close.
Speaker 1: I believe I enjoy I enjoy baking in the challenge, but I bet there's no way I get close to it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, we have you know, machines and you know a bunch of equipment that help you do this process. You couldn't do it at home. You could come to the kitchen. You can play with us and see if it works.
Speaker 1: I would enjoy that more than a ride along with a cop if you if you were to give me the two options, right, I mean, unless I got to pick the area that I was going to do a ride on with some some areas are a little more interesting than ours.
Speaker 2: She's great, she'd show you a good time.
Speaker 1: You guys take a lot of pride in your packaging. Yeah, true, true, I mean that was is that your world? Is that what you specialized in? Like, okay, let's make this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you have any direct competition here in Los Angeles for high end chocolate?
Speaker 2: No? Not in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: You have to go to you have to go to Belgium.
Speaker 2: You gotta get on a plane. Yes, i'd say so.
Speaker 1: Does your chocolate ever end up there?
Speaker 2: People definitely take it with them when they go back. If they're visiting Los Angeles and they want to take something home.
Speaker 1: You ever have experts from over there taste it and say yeah, job, well done, Yeah that's yeah. Or do they still stick their nose up because it's like, oh, you're America and so.
Speaker 2: No, we get a lot of positive feedback all the time.
Speaker 1: Wine in God's name. Do we say the word bon bonds in dumb old America.
Speaker 2: It's a generic term that we use, you know, to talk about a piece of chocolate.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So some people say truffles, some people say bonbon some people say praleens. Bon bonn is just a way to sort of talk about a confection.
Speaker 1: Who produces the best chocolate, the Swiss, the Belgians, or the fine Christian folks at Hershey, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Well, they make chocolate candy. That's their thing.
Speaker 1: By the way, I don't know that they're Christian. I just guess that was just a shot in the dark. I performed at their theater and they had they had some kind of rules. Do you remember that, Eddie, They had some rules. I just remember it was like, oh, be careful what you say. I'm like, what, be careful what I say? Get out of here. That old town's kind of weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to Hershey, Pennsylvania. No?
Speaker 2: No, But I just heard an ad. It was yesterday. I was with my kid and we were driving the car and there's a Hershey added for Am and Joy and they're listening to Ingredient and they said, you know, almonds, coconut and chocolate candy. And I said, oh, that's because they can't say chocolate. They can say chocolate candy because it's not necessarily fully a chocolate product.
Speaker 1: So this is you know what you're doing to me right now? You're giving me the whole Like pringles can't say potato chip, right, they have to say crisp. You who can't say chocolate milk? They have to say chocolate drink. Yeah, that's good. You guys do a hot chocolate and chocolate milk and it's incredible.
Speaker 2: My kids love it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't. I don't think I can drink chocolate milk, but I can drink a hot chocolate.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's why I like to be in Europe so much. No one looks down on you for drinking hot chocolate. They're here if I order hot chocolate there. Do you want that lukewarm for your son? I'm like, it's for me. You ever fuck with fudge?
Speaker 2: No, we don't do that. No.
Speaker 1: Do you like fudge?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: I don't like fudge either. I've never liked fudge. People always give me fudge too, am Like, I don't want this. My brother in law just bought me fudge. I told him I don't like it, and he's like, oh, you'll like this. I might, oh, because they know I have a sweet tooth, and so they think like, oh, I'll just give you some fudge. I I don't want fudge. But then they get mad at me because I'm like, well, just take it. I'm like, I'm not going to take it.
Speaker 2: You give it back. Where you get on fondue, I like fun do yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: I despise it.
Speaker 2: Really, I have to do it.
Speaker 1: I have to participate my wife. My wife likes it so so like once, I don't know, every six months we have a fond night at the house.
Speaker 2: Which part don't you like about the fondue?
Speaker 1: The whole process of this is a shitty meal that I'm just dipping things into cheese and then it's like okay, now we're gonna dip stuff into chocolate. Yeah, and it's it's I'm consuming way too much is probably the problem. Where do you stand on marshmallows and chocolate?
Speaker 2: They're good. We make marshmallows, you make in house marshmallows and they taste great. I'm down with it.
Speaker 1: What about uh? The somemore? Yeah, I despise it.
Speaker 2: So, really, you have something for you that's a s'more today?
Speaker 1: Really? Yeah, but it's not a somemore. The idea of making smores is awful because it doesn't work. The chocolate never melts, right, right, you're just basically just playing with fire and breathing smoke all night. It can't be good for you. At what percentage is cocow no longer enjoyable and just medicine for diabetics? What's your max cacow where you're like, all right, that's enough personally? Uh huh.
Speaker 2: I would say maybe eighty percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can go a little darker and I can go a little more, but that's in my wheelhouse. Yeah. How old is your mother? And is she proof that you can eat sweets every day and live a long, healthy life.
Speaker 2: Yes, she is. She was born in nineteen forty six, so she can't do that. She's in there late seventies and she's healthy and happy and ate a lot of chocolate.
Speaker 1: You sell a gorgeous box of four pieces of chocolate on your website for twenty dollars, defend yourself.
Speaker 2: Each piece is made here in lah by a talented team. Each piece is fresh made, you know, with fresh ingredients, high quality cacao, and the packaging is just as special.
Speaker 1: So what does it cost that much?
Speaker 2: Everything, the ingredient, the labor, the packaging.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're appreciating. I talked to a guy, a friend of mine, who runs a restaurant business, and he just screams at me about how impossible it is to make a hamburger to make a profit. He's like, if I don't charge twenty dollars, I make a dollar. I'm like, anyway, I get that it's expensive. Do people just come in just to eat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all the time? Okay, without a box just out of the case.
Speaker 1: Is that cheaper?
Speaker 2: It is a little cheaper.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's good to know. It is. The Great Depression ended in nineteen forty one. So can you explain why raisinets are still around?
Speaker 2: No? Are they still around? I don't know if they are.
Speaker 1: I think they are. They are, they are, all right? Do you like old candies?
Speaker 2: I like milk duds. I do milk dud.
Speaker 1: That'll rip your teeth out. My father in law eats candy that doesn't that. I don't understand. What is he like? I don't know what cp he answers his phone, but he's he's I mean, it's confusing the king and said, I'll eat.
Speaker 2: Like old candy, old style.
Speaker 1: Yes, let me just let me just see if he answers real fast. Hey, hey, tell me five of the gross candies that you like to eat.
Speaker 5: Let's see, boy, I like circus peanuts. I'm gonna say any kind of jelly beans, but especially jelly belly. I like gum drops. I like hot tamalies. Those are really good. And I like nekchos. How's that fiveas?
Speaker 1: That is ridiculous? Do you like any chocolates?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk to you later.
Speaker 2: Mechas, I thought they went out of business. So the store them the bottom in bulk and keeps them.
Speaker 1: They're not fresh. You care about freshness of chocolate?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: How long from when you make chocolate should someone consume it?
Speaker 2: We tell them to eat it within ten days.
Speaker 1: That's easy, easy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know what's wrong with that?
Speaker 1: What about? What about in your shop? How long until you're like, oh, that chocolate's past its prime? We keep it there for a week and then where does it go?
Speaker 2: It usually sells, So we have a system where it's selling within you know what we bring from the catching, from the kitchen to the store selling.
Speaker 1: I could never understand that business that. It's so hard to figure out that kind of stuff. It's a nightmare. By the way, we have some Kirkland signature chocolate in here. Yeah, that can't be fresh either, right, I doubt it?
Speaker 2: No, six months, one year.
Speaker 1: One year? Okay? Ooh what am I looking at here?
Speaker 2: All right? So this is our twenty four piece chocolate box, popular size, and.
Speaker 1: In that box so that how it opens from the sides.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have both a line of modern style and robe chocolates and then a little more traditional European style classic in roadbomb bons.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. Yeah, I see a fancy box like that. Sometimes I'll get a pair of Italian shoes and they come in a shoe box. It's so much fancier than a normal shoebox, which is what we're dealing with here. This is a this is a fancy box. Yeah. But when I'm finished with the chocolate, I mean, you're stuck with the box, am am I? Or am I just getting rid of it? What am I supposed to do with the box? Is my question?
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of people keep them. We do a lot of artist collaborations. We use artist artwork and people keep them.
Speaker 1: And am I supposed to shelf it, display it? This is a box we do. This is let me see this one. This is now this you could put on. I could curate this on my daughter's shelf in her room. That makes sense.
Speaker 2: But that was an artist here in La. He's a muralist. His name is Bumblebee loves You.
Speaker 1: And his name's not Bumblebee loves you.
Speaker 2: It is I have to I call him Bumblebee for short.
Speaker 1: But yes, well right, but his his birth name is not Bumblebee loved But he did the He did.
Speaker 2: A mural that in Palisades at one of the schools that burned down.
Speaker 1: The elementary school. Yeah and yeah, I got you. And so we worked with him to create a box with the artwork. And so you know, this is not the one that burned down. But you did do one of.
Speaker 2: Me did that one and sold out and going to the second version. No, we don't have any.
Speaker 1: You didn't keep one for yourself.
Speaker 2: I might have one somewhere.
Speaker 1: Look at that.
Speaker 2: But you know, when we said, hey, let's go at it again, he said, all right, let's find it. You know, another artwork. This is a school in Rosemead, California.
Speaker 1: That's a beautiful box. By the way, do you have to pay him to do this or was this something that he wanted to do with you guys.
Speaker 2: He wanted to do it, We don't, we both. His fee was donated to the schools we took passed, the Pasadena School District and the Los Angeles School District, and we also donated a portion of the proceeds.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, because I'm like, all of a sudden, now I'm buying art. I mean, the chocolate in and of itself is art, but now you're putting art on top of it. I just want to get my fix. This is a twelve piece by the way. Yeah, best enjoyed within ten days. Store in a cool, dry place. What do you think about refrigeration? No, we suggest you don't know. Uh huh. Yeah. You were horrified when we received chocolates of yours from a guest, a guest of mine, well on the show This Watch Expert. He gave us chocolates, and you guys were worried those things were a bit too old. I think you opened them in March I opened them in March, and that way, we made him in December. That's that's okay, that's well, pass it is that why he gave them to me.
Speaker 2: That's interesting, that's funny he didn't.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's like you think the watch guy would have brought me a watch, right, just gave me old chocolate. Well I thought it was nice anyway. All right, let's see what Let's see what you brought kill.
Speaker 2: We even have a tasting menu for you.
Speaker 1: Look at this, guys, this is unbelievable. H we got the sixty four percent dark chocolate, the PB and Jay. You say pecan or pecan?
Speaker 2: I say Pecanah, what about you?
Speaker 1: I try not to bring it up. What? What the fuck is this?
Speaker 2: This is a pod?
Speaker 1: I love it. This is way do you go to school? You go to your kids schools and give speeches.
Speaker 2: Ever they come to the factory, to the factory.
Speaker 1: That's nice. Yeah, you kind of win coolest dad job.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this is so we're a chocolate tear right as opposed to a chocolate maker. Chocolate maker somebody who takes uh you know, works with the pood right or the beans that are inside, and they turn that into a chocolate product, okay, and a chocolate tear then takes the chocolate product and other ingredients so fruit nuts, you know, marshmallows and puts them all together to create a bonbon, to create a confection.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so that's this is just to liven up the space. This is just to show you. Yeah, this is a cacaw tree that was not going to give us something we can eat, but just to you know, give a little little juju for the room.
Speaker 1: Will it? Ever? What kind of climate do I need for this?
Speaker 2: More tropical?
Speaker 1: I'm not good with plants, man, I just replaced them constantly, that's my thing, all right. So what are we looking at here? Okay?
Speaker 2: So we have got dark chocolate to start off four, going with something that I think you'll like right away.
Speaker 1: That's a safe bed. Do you want me to Should I try one?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Grab it?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: This one? Yeah? And what is this? This is just what's inside of this?
Speaker 2: It's a ganash. So it's just the chocolate, dairy and butter and butter. It's sixty four percent from Madagascar.
Speaker 1: Like the whole thing. That's delicious.
Speaker 2: I like how fast that went down though? That was That was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's delicious.
Speaker 2: The next one is peeb and jay. We use a farmer's market strawberries, create a jam and add another layer of peanut pray lean for a real sort of peb and J flavor.
Speaker 1: Which direction do I need to bite into it to get all of it?
Speaker 2: It's all inside?
Speaker 1: Oh, I know. I didn't know if it was like jelly on this side versus peanut butter.
Speaker 2: Now, no, it's top to bottom. You can take a bite. You'll see it when you write.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. I mean that's fun Too.
Speaker 2: Much milk chocolate for you.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's delicious.
Speaker 2: That's one a chef's favorites.
Speaker 1: There's too much chocolate.
Speaker 2: You're only two two of them in.
Speaker 1: I'm anticipating.
Speaker 2: We can take a break. It ain't point.
Speaker 1: That's funny. We can take a break, all right, all right?
Speaker 2: So the next one is a pecan pray leane and toasted rice. That's this one right here.
Speaker 1: You guys mess with rice Krispy treats. No, at home, we do. My wife makes them does. Yeah, you put chocolate in it?
Speaker 2: No, but like a salted butter, which is really good.
Speaker 1: You guys are living good. Like by the way, this is great too.
Speaker 2: Oh good?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: The next one's back to fruit and back to milk chocolate, all right, Lemon meringue, macadamia.
Speaker 1: This is there's a chance I like this. I would, I was my favorite piece. I would be shocked if I enjoy this really. Oh yeah, I would. There's just no way that I would ever ever see this and go oh lemon ring chocolate. Sure.
Speaker 2: So there's three things going on there. There's that lemon lemon pad if we right, so like a nice citrus flavor, macadamia prey lean, and then a crunchy meringue. So it's got a great texture to it.
Speaker 1: That's really good. I mean it's confusing a little bit with the lemon, but I'm sure I like it. Are these harder to make than the other ones? Because they're no pretty inflame?
Speaker 2: They're all hard. They're all kind of equally hard to make.
Speaker 1: I mean I can imagine, right, but they are like little pieces of art right now. So these are painted with cocoa butter. The team, you know, prepares all the different layers that are going to go inside all the different ingredients, and they use a sort of a cavity mold to prepare the final chocolate, whereas the other ones you had are more traditional chocolate curtain and a road piece that goes through a chocolate curtain machine. Okay, by the way, I just say ten dollars worth of chocolate. He did because when I was a kid, I would go to the store with a quarter maybe fifty cents, and I would get something snow caps. You don't like those.
Speaker 2: As a kid, I didn't like you didn't like snow No, it's you.
Speaker 1: You've been bougie since day one. That is pretty incredible. All right, Okay, where are we at now?
Speaker 2: Salty caramel. This is our first mold apiece.
Speaker 1: This would be my second pick if I was just to read the menu of what I would want, and we'll look at the bottom of that too. That is just so pretty. Mm hmm. That's what you like? You like that one?
Speaker 4: Hm?
Speaker 2: So it's a local butter milk and dark chocolate gnash and then a small sort of salt after you know, it's sort of the end.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's good starting, it's start. Eve get hot in here.
Speaker 2: Now you take your check it out?
Speaker 1: No, I can't. I gotta keep it on for continuity purposes. All right, what do we got left here.
Speaker 2: So s'mores is next. But it's all made for you. This is just you get to enjoy without any doing of the work, doing any of the work. So a layer of vanilla marshmallow?
Speaker 1: Is that what that? This is supposed to represent? The three circles?
Speaker 2: A little bit? Eh, layer layer gram cracker, housemade Graham cracker, and a milk chocolate shell.
Speaker 1: We did it. We found my least favorite. I don't like marshmallows as soon as they taste them, like, yeah, it's just such a it's a consistency thing.
Speaker 3: Clown food.
Speaker 1: It's clown food.
Speaker 2: I say, this one is punk, this one is fruit. This one said you want it off the menu, you can make a substitute coffee.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, no, I don't want coffee. I don't call it. You're now you're really in my wheelhouse of things I don't like, But I like tasting things that I think I would would be furious about.
Speaker 2: Okay, what is it? Passion fruit, fashion fruit, orange, guava. So three fruit flavors?
Speaker 1: Oh wow?
Speaker 2: Got a pat off we at the top and a ganash at the bottom.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm gonna say that that's just that's as good as that world can get and that's that's really it is good. I get why people would say that that's amazing. Yeah, it's just not my pre for chocolate. But that's overwhelming. Yeah, I mean I feel like I just there's so much citrus in my mouth. What are we up to? We're up to a yeah, close to a seventeen to fifty. I gotta get the twenty bucks.
Speaker 2: Here you are?
Speaker 1: This is okay Huntington tea. Yeah, what is this?
Speaker 2: So it's a black tea that we use from the Huntington Gardens in San Marino with a milk chocolate ghanash. It's got a very sort of jasmine herbal dark tea flavor, black tea flavor, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't like tea. I don't like coffee.
Speaker 2: M I think you're gonna say you like it.
Speaker 1: That's way too much chocolate to consume. If you didn't tell me what that was, I think I was anticipating not liking it. And it's good.
Speaker 2: Oh good m h.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's that. I have no idea what I was tasting, but it felt it wasn't recognizable. If I would just again, I don't have the most sophisticated that is amazing. I'm excited about this. This alone is the prettiest thing everything. So do you do you do all this? You pick the fonts? Yes, you do. Yeah, well that's what I care about. All right? Good? Why are you laughing at that? It's just like, gets pretty the fonts are People don't so many times my wife watched me do this stair day, I'm in a store and I said to the lady, I said, I go, do you own this place? And she said no, And I go, WHOA, Can I just give you my two cents? Your storefront window, you're closed a majority of the time, and they don't have a lot of space, but their storefront window everything is facing inward, so when you're outside of the closed store, you're seeing the back of everything on this window. I'm like, what are you doing? I go, please just just turn that around. And she's like, I'll pass the note around and then anyway, she's like, oh, do you need anything? I'm like, no, I do anything.
Speaker 2: What do they sell?
Speaker 1: You know, nick knacks, cute stuff whatever? Like you know, there's cards, there's blah blah blah. It's you know, a California store where you you buy a coffee table, book for eighty five bucks. But I was just like, your window, it's not pretty on the outside, and that's that matters. What are people going to do when they come on the inside. I'm like, well, at that point they're inside, mission accomplished. I just don't want people to fail. That's my point.
Speaker 2: We have great windows. Stuff's facing outside.
Speaker 1: No, my point was the little things matter. You're you're you know, everything looks good, everything's pretty. Thank you. Everybody's on the show gets a gift. Yeah. Oh, it's just stuff that I find around my house. I'm like, oh, this person might like this. Now, do you uh you ever uh make your own pizza?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, yes, what's gonna be?
Speaker 1: I got you sweet this peel. For some reason, I thought, oh, this is in the wheelhouse of a chocolate tear. But I also this metal peel. I'm not good at using it because when it heats up the dough kind of it's I can't slide it off. You have to put meal on it. That's not my thing. Anyway, this peal doesn't work with me. I have to use a wood peel.
Speaker 2: You'll love that, all right, we should try this in the kitchen for sure.
Speaker 1: Sure, that's a nice peal for you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You're gonna want to put that on the floor. That'll scratch my desk all up it probably don't lean it against the wall. You might need to lay that flat. That thing is huge.
Speaker 2: Is a monster.
Speaker 1: Rank Jean Wilder, Johnny Depp, and Timothy Shallow may your Wonka's rank your Wonka's.
Speaker 2: Jeane's number one. I'll do Johnny Depp number two and Timothy number three.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, I want to see how different rs are mine number one, Timothy Shallomey really two? Gene?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Fuck Johnny? Alright, Timothy shallum is a monster. This kid can act. I know. Out of the three of those people, by far the best actor. Come at me. Anybody disagree this guy's getting nominated for Oscars? You think Johnny's been nominated for an Oscar. I don't know that. I'm gonna guess he hasn't. And I know Gene was never nominated for an Oscar him, don't, don't. I'm an employee. Theft Is that a problem?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Not that, not that I know of it.
Speaker 1: I bring it up because my wife she worked at it at Chocolate Place when she was a kid, and it was next to a movie theater and all her friends would come in and she would give them, like you know, it was one of the places where you'd weigh stuff and she'd like, whatever, it was employee theft, All right, it's what she was doing. She was giving her friends forgetting. But Marissa used to come in and she was mean to my wife as a kid in school when my wife was fourteen years old, and my wife would and Marissa would like, hey, here's my candy. I wanted for free, and my wife would charge her. Oh, and that made Marissa furious. I'm told I've heard this story three hundred times. But anyway, then one day the business just closed up. She goes, I show up to work and it was closed and there was no and I go, yeah, because you'd been fucking stealing from them for way too long. You said that your company has twenty to thirty employees depending on the season. Yeah, My question is when is chocolate's busy season?
Speaker 2: From October Halloween time, all the way through Mother's Day.
Speaker 1: All the way through Mother's Day. Yeah, I'm not buying my mom chocolate her Mother's Day?
Speaker 2: What do you get her?
Speaker 1: Usually send her flowers and then she you know, what she does with them. When I send her flowers, she splits them in half. She's that they're too big for my place, and then she just gives the other half to my sister.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of that.
Speaker 1: Do people want to chocolate for for uh? For Christmas? Yeah? End of the year.
Speaker 2: Christmas is the busiest, our busiest time of the year.
Speaker 1: Valentine are still giving away chocolate for Valentine's d Yeah. Do you guys force that on people?
Speaker 2: Probably a little bit with our emails, Yes, we do.
Speaker 1: Wait do you get it? Do you get a discount if you get on the email list?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Good, good for you. That always bothers me. Good time I see a thing, Oh, first time buyer, just give us your email. We'll give you an extra ten percent off of My God, I'd rather not have ten percent right than have to unsubscribe down the road four times. By the way, what do you do at Halloween at your house? What are you given out? Are you giving out your fancy chocolates?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Have you ever?
Speaker 2: Just to friends?
Speaker 1: I mean that would be amazing. Because my manager, Christy Smith, she loves to brag or give three hundred full saized bars out this year and I'm like, who cares, it's shitty chocolate. Now, if you were giving out fancy chocolate, that would be incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'd be very popular on the block.
Speaker 1: You're always in like the fancy gift bags and stuff for like the Oscars things like that.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't do many of those, but I don't know. Okay, No, they usually want it, you know, for free.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the problem I find with show business in general, is a lot of people really just cheap. They just want handouts. Because I'm being honest about it, it always like when I first was in show business and had a bit of success, I was so excited to get them, And now I don't want handles. I'd rather pay to not be annoyed, yeah, or to be like, hey, oh yeah, we'll give this to you, but can we have you post on your social media accounts? And I don't do it. I can't do that anyway.
Speaker 2: Right, And they ask us to pay too. We have to pay to be in. So not only is it freebie, but it's also paid up to participate.
Speaker 1: That is interesting, you is hear that? All right? Is it the goal of every chocolate teer to get in a Kiosk in the airport.
Speaker 2: Yes, that would be We love that. You're not you're serious?
Speaker 1: Really? Yeah?
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: We have people who always come to our shop buy chocolate and take it home. And yesterday there was a family from India. They bought you know, six or seven boxes and they took it with them to the airport.
Speaker 1: We need to get you a duty free spot. And at LAX we're always duty free. By the way, there's no tax, no.
Speaker 2: Tax, no, so we're duty free all the time anywhere.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: We should put that on front of the in front of the shop duty free chocolates.
Speaker 1: How many years has this sword been here?
Speaker 2: Originally? We opened in nineteen eighty three eighty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good run. Yeah, would you guys signed? You guys buy the building your mom fib You guys have forty year lease.
Speaker 2: No, we've We've renewed many times.
Speaker 1: Do they try to kick you out ever?
Speaker 2: No, We're like, no, they won't to day. Yeah, we have a corner a corner location. It's a wonderful spot.
Speaker 1: Where exactly is it.
Speaker 2: We're in Beverly Hills.
Speaker 1: But you can order this online.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yeah, okay, we ship nationwide. We have friends, family, community all over.
Speaker 1: The only time I'm in Beverly Hills where your shop is is for my n T M fertility doctor. What other? All of them are just right there.
Speaker 2: The dentists.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's nice. My dentist is there too? Your dentist there, Yes, he's my dentist. Is the other woman in the practice?
Speaker 2: Is my identity?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: You went to the younger woman I got. I got Larry still on top of his game. He's older, but man's up. You see him. He's a professor at U c l A. Oh, he's the best. I remember once when I was when I first started going there, I was like a young kid fresh off the bus, and he's like, so what do you doing. I'm like, I do comedy And then like he's like, I got I got less moonvez in the chair over there. Let's see if we can get him to give you a show. I was like, all right, let's see if you pull this off, Doc.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: It didn't work, by the way, he has any weird you guys go in any of these uh freaky Beverly Hills sex party? Do you ever get invited to those? With the chocolate? I'm here about these things never once been invited. I've never once seen one, but I but I know they exist.
Speaker 2: We should be there. The chocolate should definitely be That's what I'm talking about. Tell me when you hear about it, I'm not gonna tell you.
Speaker 1: Although it be funny to bring your chocolate to that party, I just thought maybe you guys would be invited because of the you know the nature of it as well.
Speaker 2: It goes well, it pairs nicely, that's good.
Speaker 1: Well, so I appreciate you guys coming by all the all the best, and thank you very much for the chocolate.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it. Thank you all right, pleasure.
Speaker 1: Casha. I want to thank Phil and the fine chocolate tears at anne Son's. I would like to point out that his brother Mark was here and when Phil was giving out chocolates after we finished the interview to the crew here, there were some leftover chocolates and Mark took them home. They weren't in a package or anything. They were they were the ones that we didn't plate. They're still probably fifteen or so pieces, and the crew just watched them put those away and leave with them. I'm just gonna I'm gonna be honest with you, weird disappointed. We didn't have the courage to say anything in the moment, but as soon as he walked out, we're all like, can you believe that he took that? He took all the leftovers? Hot gossip? That was That was the big talk. But I want to thank Phil ann Mark. They do. They do a wonderful job. We got the tossshowstore dot com guys, get your merch new stuff coming soon, Eddie's tour, Daniel Tosh's tour. Check us out, man. I am excited to get to the Midwest, my roots, get back to my roots. What do you think, Carl? Hit up those fine people on Madison, Wisconsin. Go over to Milwaukee on our Harley Davidson. Huh. Head over to Minneapolis St.
Speaker 2: Paul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Twin Cities. Go go stop into Target. Ah, they love the Target there in Minneapol. Maybe go to the Mall of America with my boy. Let him ride the roller coaster at the Nickelodeon Amusement Park. That's there. I really know these markets, don't I Omaha, guess what we're doing in Omaha College World Series. Father in law is gonna come with us, he said, Daniel, that's a bucket list item for me. I really want to thank you. All right, whatever, it's great. We're gonna we're gonna go to the College World Series Kansas City. You know we're doing in Kansas City. Right, We're just gonna eat so much barbecue. We'll let people tell us where to eat and then we'll ignore that and uh just have some grub hub ship us some Nashville barbecue.
Speaker 2: Fight words.
Speaker 1: What's that? Those are fighting words? Now? I we'll get some good barbecue there in Kansas City, and then in Chicago we'll get some of that lasagna pizza and put a pickle spear on our on our hot dog and just be like, well, it was fun knowing you have some alort. You're ready for the free plug. Let's hit the music all like that little scatting, a little scatting for the free plug. It's hard to find a good scat playlist. It always changes. All right, let's do this free plug. I'm positive I'm gonna like this one. This free plug is gonna intrigue the ladies and the gentlemen. Women. Get your summer body ready because it's almost bikini contest season at Flora Bama. The most famous beach bar in the country. They have a bikini contest throughout the summer beginning April twenty six. The top three winners from each contest are then eligible to compete in the Labor Day Bikini Contest Finale for a chance to win five thousand dollars. All contestants must be signed up, registered, and on site no later than two pm on the day of the contest to compete. All contestants must be twenty one or older to register. You know, I don't think you should put a men age. I think you should put a max age. You know it should. Yeah, Oh, you think to twenty one?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's some there's some eighteen year olds that really look great in a bathing suit. You're gonna say that they can't just because they can't partake in the alcoholic beverages. That seems that seems silly. Anyway, bring your ID when you come for the contest. All winners must fill out a W nine to receive their prize money. Oh man, this is where Trump's gonna crack down on some of the illegals that are entering these bikini contests and cleaning up. That's what we don't want. We don't want these illegals with their smoking hot bods to come in and start winning all our local bikini contests. This is a Floriabama. It's located you guessed it on the border of Florida and Alabama. Now have you ever been there to this bar?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 1: I think I think I have. I think I've been there. I don't remember. I wonder if it's actually on the border, like where you can do that thing, will step over a line, go back and forth. Don't forget to stop by the Oyster bar while you're there and also enjoy some live music. It couldn't be a better time. What when's the last time you went to a bikini contest, Eddie?
Speaker 4: I don't think I've ever been to a bikini contest, real serious, Absolutely.
Speaker 1: You've never been to a bikini You've never been at a place where bikini contest is broke out.
Speaker 3: I mean broke out.
Speaker 4: No, maybe they've had them there before, but I have not ever been to one.
Speaker 1: I've definitely. You know, that's got to be just the Florida like there's just always bikini contests at like the beach Wet and Wild used to have.
Speaker 3: That makes sense. Sure.
Speaker 1: I think my sister entered one once.
Speaker 3: She do good, she did what she plays.
Speaker 1: I don't remember, but I know that I was embarrassed because she was doing a French accent and acting like she didn't speak English. Yeah, that's that's my family, always always going for the joke. Well whatever, yeah went and well they used to do. Uh, they used to do like a night series and in the summer. Or this isn't a free plug for them. It's a free plug for a bikini contest at the Flora Bama Bar. So get in there and uh you know, no, no, no, be respectful. And I hope the judging criteria isn't just like, oh this this girl was with some augmentations, should win. No, you know, give some flapjack older brought a chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all we're asking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I wonder if you have to wear a two piece in a bikini a contest. Yes, you think because a lot of girls, I know, for a while in those bikini kinds were wearing those slingshot bathing suits. Remember that that borat war that's called the slingshot. It's it's it's just like covers your your huha, and it's like just a thin little shirt, but that's technically a one piece. That is not that is not a two pie, that is not a bikini anyway. Uh, well, I'll be there, I'll be there, I'll be I'll be there for the whole season. Yeah, well, I'm not gonna. I'm not gonna. I want to make sure I see who wins the final grand prize of five thousand dollars. Nothing validates Bikini Season more than a third place finish at the Flora Bama Bar. See you next week.