Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spafford, joined as always by my partner in crime, Weston Hodkowitz. We're coming to you here from our studios at lambeau Field to review wes a twenty four to nineteen victory over the Los Angeles Rams at Sofi Stadium on Sunday. It was not pretty by any means, but there are no style points in the NFL. Nope, you get the victory, you move on, and the Packers are three and two, bottom line plenty to work on. Lots of good things to take out of this game, certainly when you post a victory on the road. I think this one starts quite frankly though, with the defense coming up up with the stop against a future Hall of Fame quarterback yep, the game on the line. The Packers defense got the stop it needed in the final two minutes to win this.
Speaker 2: Way in the players with which they got the stop with, right, That was the other part of this that stood out to me, and it was on my last tweets the game. As we were getting ready to head down the locker room, a lot of things went into that final drive, a lot of players stepped up, but the fact that it was Eddrin Cooper applying the quarterback hit in the fact that it was Evan Williams in coverage against Colby Parkinson. Now keep in mind he didn't get the PBu or whatever you call it statistically, but his coverage on him made that a very difficult catch and he's going up against a tight end and a slant put route there. But as Evan talked about afterwards, that was probably a case of the Rams going one too many times to the water well there and being able to sort of telegraph it a little bit.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to say, because for those who like my what you might have missed piece with the film clips that I post on Tuesday, I went through the entire film looking at Evan Williams, the rookie safety's game. He had only played maybe three dozen snaps on defense through the first month of the regular season. He played every snap on defense all seventy eight in this game. And in reviewing his game, when you get down to the end, it's fascinating West and you said it, the Rams kind of went to the well one too many times because the water. Well, they but they actually they actually did it in the beginning of the game and in the end of the game at the end of the game because when the defense got the goal line stop on the fourth and goal early in the game, the third and fourth down plays were not exactly the same, but pretty darn close. They were almost identical, and there was a lot of communication going on between McKinney and Williams to get the coverage straightened out, and the Packers end up getting the stop. Well then at the end of the game on the final drive, and I break this down in the video clips, and it's really fascinating to stop the video and look at how things are played on the previous series of downs before the last one where the Packers get the fourth down stop, same drive, but previous series of downs, it's third and ten and the Rams run that bunch concept, the route concept with the bunch to the left and Parkinson the tight end, basically just runs a quick little curl and he makes the catch and Williams tackles him for a nine yard game. It sets up fourth and one. They convert the fourth and one and get the next set of down, and then on the fourth and five. On that next set of downs, they ran the exact same thing. And when you look at how Williams plays those two plays, the first one, at the snap of the ball, he's about eleven yards off of Parkinson and at the time that Parkinson sticks his foot in the ground to make the curl, Williams is about five yards off, and he's he kind of right before that kind of gets rubbed off a little bit by one of the other routes. When it comes at him again on fourth and five, he makes the adjustments. He sees what's coming. He knows what's coming. At the snap of the ball, his gap is closed to about eight yards instead of eleven. At the time of the curl. He's avoided the other rub route much better and he's only three yards off of Parkinson at the time of the curl, so he's right on him. It makes it a much tougher throw for Stafford. And you mentioned you mentioned Cooper with the pressure up the middle, and yeah, the first time the Rams ran it, they got nine yards. If they get nine yards on the fourth and five, of course that drive continues and who knows what happens. Williams made the adjustments incredible work for a rookie, you know, really playing his first full game in the National Football League. To make those adjustments and make the play in that coverage to get the stop and seal the game is tremendous work.
Speaker 2: It is incredible to watch and Matt Lafleur discuss it again on Monday, I mean, just how deep Green Bay is at the safety position. It allowed them to almost dial up a new nickel package, which which consisted of Evan Williams playing on the back end, Javon Bullard still playing in the slot of the nickel in, Keyshawn Nixon for the first time in a full game Basis playing outside on perimeter he'd been in their time to hear and there Packers used them outside in the base this season a couple injury things the past few years, but no, this time. He's out on an island and they rotated Eric Stokes and Carrington Valentine at the other post. A very innovative type scheme that Green Bay had, and they had to work through some things. There were two big, long touchdown drives that the Rams put together that sort of got them started and also had them kind of in control of the game at one point but Green Bay every time they needed a response offensively, defensively, even special teams, they rose to that occasion. So to get back to the initial thing that you came in with about how there's still mistakes, there's things they got to clean up. The encouraging thing to me about this year is they're winning these games. Last year they had to go through these early crucibles. They had to go and take their lumps early, and they had losses like they had in Pittsburgh, they had losses like they had in Atlanta, in Vegas and Vega, in Denver and Denver where it's like exactly, they had stretches and they showed some flashes, but then they something would happen, adversity would hit, and they would they'd fall on the other side of it.
Speaker 3: They're three and two. There's still a lot of work to be done.
Speaker 2: But I felt like this game, in particular, especially having to go cross country to la and then really having a gut check like they did at the end of the first half, it shows this maturity of this team and also the value of having a guy like Jordan Love back out on the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, and staying on the defensive side of things. I mean, what more can you say about Xavier and Kidnahing's point. You know, he he has a hand in both of the turnovers in the third quarter, recovers the fumble that's forced by kings Leannigbari on a great tackle punch out move by by Anigbari. By the way, McKinney gets that fumble recovery. Then he gets his fifth interception in five games as a member of the Packers on an overthrow, and as he's done on multiple multiple interceptions that he's had this season, he just read, he reads the play, reads the quarterback, you know, gets over there and puts himself in position to make the play. Almost got another interception later in the game, almost got number six.
Speaker 2: And that was and that's what he wanted to talk about after the game. Oh yeah, not the five in a row, right, it's the fact that I should have six or should have six exactly.
Speaker 3: It's just remarkable.
Speaker 1: But the but the other key of course to that third quarter is the Packers offense, which had struggled throughout a good chunk of the first half, I mean, quite frankly until the final drive of the first half, which wasn't important drive to get a field goal right before intermission. The offense had hit the big fifty three yard pass to Jayden Reid to set up an early touchdown, but other than that had not really done anything. There were three three and ounce in there in the first half. There was the pick six by Love when he's falling down in the back of the end zone and mistakenly tries to get rid of the ball to save the safety in instead of the safety, it ends up being six points for the Rams. So the offense had really been scuffling. But off of both of the turnovers in the third quarter, the Packers end up scoring touchdowns. You get the long catch and run by Tucker Craft and then Kraft finishes off the longer a little bit more methodical drive. There was a really nice, like twenty yard screen passing there to Josh Jacobs that got the Packers, you know, really knocking on the door in a scoring range. But Kraft finishes off that drive for another touchdown. The second year tight end getting his first two touchdown game career high eighty eight yards receiving. And I'm telling you Wes that that young man number eighty five is turning into a not just a major piece to this offense, but a major weapon in this offense. And we're seeing we're seeing this evolution that the more you put on Tucker Craft's plate, the more he proves he can handle.
Speaker 2: We all knew Xavier McKinney was going to be pretty special. You just see what he's doing in the Giants. In fact, he was twenty four years old. Josh Jacobs was an All Pro. You know, Jaden Reid was the Packers' leading receiver last year. The contributions they've gotten from Tucker Craft in the first five games of this season, I think constitutes at this point breakout player status. A guy that I think when you look at the maturation of a player in the idea of draft and development, he encapsulates that this is a guy that didn't really get his big opportunity until after Luke Musgraves unfortunate injury last season, and he responded. He responded when it's time to block, he responds when it's time to get the first down. And then, as you saw in that sixty six yard pass, when he gets the ball in the open field, his mantra is, I'm not going to let any defensive back tackle me, especially the first one, Yeah, and he is not going to to be denied. And I thought it was a good question and it was a good answer for Matt Lafleur on Monday discussing Craft in the idea of hey, you know he's taking some damage with the shoulder, he's wearing the red jersey during practices, we see the non contact jersey. Can he play this way? And as Matt Lafuur said, he say, yeah, I think he can. Because if you're smart about it, and you're pragmatic about how you use your body and at what points you sort of lay it on the line, it's going to allow you to have a long, sustainable career. It's just being able to know that boundary. And I think Kraft knows it well. And the fact that this guy as a third round pick, you know, from South Dakota State, and we all heard the stories of him coming out about how he could have taken more money, nil deals, he could have transferred, he could have become a more high profile player. This guy's a budding star man. The way he speaks, the way he acts, the way he plays, And the other thing Matt Lafuor said as well to that point about the way he uses his physicality. It reminds him in some ways of a George Kittle type tight end, where hey, he's going to get nicked up a couple times, what he's going to make a lot of plays for you too, that this is the most dynamic all around tight end that I can remember covering so far with the Green Bay Packers. And he's in the infancy of this thing. Yeah, I mean, he can do everything you need a tight end to do. Yeah, and he's doing at twenty three years old.
Speaker 1: And what I like best about this performance in particular, was that for as important as Tucker Craft has been to this offense all season long, and we've seen him make big time plays time after time, last week against Minnesota, he had a holding penalty and he had a fumble, probably the two biggest mistakes we've seen him make in a long time. And he went he goes out there the following week and it's just it's the previous week. The mistakes were done and over with, and he got back to being the guy that he's that he's been right and for a young player that's not easy, but that's how you prove that you're a pro right because bad stuff is going to happen. Nobody's perfect, and some mistakes are more noticeable than others. You know, when that yellow flag comes out, when that ball hits the ground, those are very noticeable mistakes. Other guys make mistakes too that aren't as noticeable. Those are the ones that jump out everybody starts talking about them. And Tucker Craft just you know, I asked him actually about it last week. I haven't been involved in too many scrums at his locker, but I was at the one last week and I asked him, Okay, you've made a bunch of big plays. He came out of the Vikings game with a couple of regrets, like, how you know, what's the line between learning from you mistakes but not dwelling on them so they affect you the next time, right, And he basically just said, you can't turn back the clock. You know, it's all it's all about you learn from mistakes and you move forward. And it's really that simple. And that's so that you're not you're not dwelling on him. You you process the mistakes, but you move forward. And I thought he you know, I thought he did that over the course of these last two weeks pretty impressive, and quite frankly, the Packers needed him. They were down Christian Watson. Also missing Romeo Dobbs, who was suspended for this game for conduct detrimental to the team when he missed practice, skipped out on practice last week Thursday and Friday. Signs are pointing to Romeo Dobbs being back at practice on Wednesday. That's what we heard from Matt Lafleur. So we'll see how that situation evolves this week. But Packers needed Tucker Craft and Jaden Reid to do their thing offensively in this game with Watson and Dobbs out, and those guys delivered.
Speaker 2: I felt like there's a lot of things I've played in the outcome of this game vary, some very peculiar statistics, the fact that Green Bay got I think into the third quarter without having a third down conversion at that point, certainly, the takeover, the takeaways. This streak that Xavier McKinney on is on right now is just unparalleled. But I felt, overall, as I was leaving that stadium, the difference in that game was which team overcame their setbacks better. Packer's probably a little bit deeper in terms of their skill positions than what the Rams are without Puka Nakua, without Cooper Cup. But I mean the fact was is that you saw a player like Craft step up. You saw the second effort yardage that a guy like Josh Shacobs provided in this you know, including getting that touchdown at the end of the first drive or the second drive, excuse me, in the first quarter. The Packers just sort of responded. I felt like the appropriate way they needed to respond. And the other thing I will do commending Matt Lafleur on this. Packers had a lot of adversity at the end of last season. They're in the middle of this run, they're trying to make the playoffs. That JayR Alexander situation happens in Carolina and they shut him down for a very very critical game against the Minnesota Viking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the season was on the line. I mean New Year's Eve week seventeen, second to last game of the season. The Packers gotta have it, and they didn't have Alexander for that ballgame.
Speaker 2: And you know, in this game, Christian Watson was unlikely to play, had not practiced because of the ankle injury. And then you make the decision to to spend Romeo for the conduct detrimental to the team, and talking in the locker room with some of the players, I thought Dontavian Wicks had one of the best points of out of anybody. He's like, we only had four guys up at receiver, but we know they believe in us and we believe in each other. And Jayden Reid said he had good conversations with rome He's excited for him to be back here this week as well. The Packers will proceed and they will take that next step forward, just like they did last year without Jaira and in the aftermath of JayR and how JayR performed then in that game against Dallas in the playoffs. But more importantly, it is about the idea of team and I think these type of victories and how the Packers responded to that adversity once again, it shows you the culture that Matt Lafleur has built in that locker room and also the way in which players I think have responded to each other in understanding that when something comes up, expected unexpected injuries, setbacks, what have you, it's all about the next guy that could potentially make an impact for this football team, and there were several of them in this matchup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you talk about you talk about the resiliency, you talk about bouncing back and recovering. It is absolutely the culture that Matt Lafleur has built in that locker room. It's also what's embodied in his quarterback right in Jordan Love, because we saw it he made. I mean, considering the stakes. Obviously, the interception at the end of the San Francisco playoff game last year was the biggest mistake of his career. This one, I would say was probably the ugliest perhaps a mistake of his career with not taking the safety you know, I mean, he's in the back of the end zone. He's trying to go deep on third and long, and you know, as he sets his feet and then gets hit, ends up, ends up resulting in disaster, in just a gift of a pick six for the Rams. But then what does Jordan Love do? He comes back out, He drives the offense down the field to get a field goal before halftime, so the halftime score is thirteen to ten instead of thirteen to seven. And then he comes out in the second half and in taking advantage of the two takeaways, scores the two touchdowns, ultimately ends up putting together a streak of nine consecutive completions after the pick six and essentially putting seventeen points on the board after a pick six before he throws, before he misses on another pass, before he throws another incompletion. You can't you can't coach that kind of response. You can't teach the mentality, the mental fortitude it takes to respond that way to an absolutely disastrous play that happened in the game, which put the Packers behind a game that they felt they were kind of in control of, even though it was only seven to seven at the time. But the Packers were feeling okay about how things were going, and then suddenly that happens back by your own goal line, and you're losing the game seventeen straight points, nine straight completions after that disastrous play. That that is what is moving the Packers forward right now is Jordan Love as he's still figuring this out. He is not a finished product. He is still he is going to make mistakes out there. Things are not going to be perfect. But what we know about Jordan Love is he's going to shake it off and just play the next play. And that's invaluable not only for him at the quarterback position, but as an example to the team as a whole.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, it's one hundred percent right, Mike, And you know, Mattlelifuler talked about again after the game. I mean, that is Jordan's superpower. And the more I cover this league, there are so many intangibles you look for. You look for size, height, You know, obviously hand size is something people talk about forty times. You know what a guy's arm length is like in terms of just the passing. And then you look at the moxie side of it, and you can't time it. You can't put it on a stopwatch, you can't you know, throw it out there at the co and measure it. But it's a big part of how you play football and of how you play quarterback, and Jordan has it. It's it's something that people have talked about dating back to his time at Utah State. There is this cold, cerebral side to him that is going to weather whatever storms come in his path. Yeah, and a couple of things happen in that game. I got a kick out of. You know, a lot of the Monday Morning quarterbacking of the fifty three yard pass he had to Jden Reid early in that game too. I've had two things that floated through my mind because I saw Barstool put this up as like, oh, he might have some Brett favreblood in him.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, he does, always have that, he does.
Speaker 2: I was preparing people if you go back and bring up all the podcasts and all the appearances, I'm sure I said on these shows too. Going into the twenty twenty three season, I kept telling people just a reminder, there's a lot more Brett Favre to Jordan's game than they're probably is Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, I think Jordan has done a wonderful job of marrying those two things. I think Tom Clemens has built into him the importance of fundamentals and footwork and being on time with your throws. But at the same time, he has a cannon of an arm and he is not afraid to use it. And when you look at that pass to Read yet, yeah it's triple coverage, and you know, Read makes an incredible play.
Speaker 3: But you know what about that.
Speaker 2: The worst thing that happens there is somebody picks it off at the five yard line, right Like. That was kind of the thinking in my head with that. I'm like, if you want to pin him back at the five at that point, fine. But as Jaden Reid talked about afterwards too, he's like Fitt reads out there somewhere. That was the whole, you know, his mindset when he was at Michigan State and it played out there. Jordan is going to put his receivers in an opportunity to make plays in with whatever way you break it down, whether it's Farv, whether it's Rogers, That's what the great quarterbacks do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I love the way that he started that thing.
Speaker 2: Now, as you said with the nine straight completions and the setback with the pick six, it's about consistency and being able to kind of, you know, not have the feast or famine approach this offense, be able to have some more consistency.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, that's it there there, there has been a feast or famine nature to this offense. With in the three games that Jordan Love has played this year, I think we have to remember he's only played three games so far this year, and the last two games he has been dealing with a little bit of limitation with the knee and and all of that kind of stuff. Here's here's what I you know, another quality that I really like about Jordan Love and what I see out there. And sometimes, you know, yes, the you know, the the gun slinger Brett Favre sort of element to him, it's gonna need to be rained in a little bit at certain times. You know, you can't you can't just let that go. And so there's there's gonna be some coaching involved there. You don't want to completely take it away, but yet it's about learning, you know, maybe the right time to take those shots, et cetera. What I love about Jordan Love is that he trusts every single one of those receivers that out there. Dantavian Wicks has had some rough moments, had some big moments, and you know, Wiss has got to be able to shake some of this stuff off and and and start just letting his talent take over and let it shine through. But for whatever struggles Wix is having, that doesn't stop Jordan Love from giving him the opportunity one on one on the double move to put the game away down the sideline right and Jordan put that ball in a pretty good spot. Unfortunately, Wis wasn't able to come up with it. But the fact that you know, Wicks had had dropped a ball earlier in the game, et cetera, and you know that that didn't matter. The game was on the line. Jordan Love sees Dan Tavian Wis out to his right. He knows it's going to be one on one coverage. It's like, all right, kid, let's you know, let's do this. Let's put this game away right here, right now. And it didn't work out. But those are the those are the kinds of things that are gonna that are gonna help a guy like Dontavian Wis get through this knowing that his quarterback has the trust in it. And for me, I mean whether it's you know, whether it's Malie Heath or bow Melton or when Romeo Dobbs comes back, when Christian Watson comes back from the injury, it doesn't matter which guys out there. Tucker Crafted, tight end, Luke Musgrave. Jordan Love trusts all these guys, and I think in the long run, you're going to go through the ups and downs, but in the long run, that's going to serve this offense well and and these guys are going to hit their stride at some point. I am one hundred percent sure of that. We've seen it. We saw it last year. It hasn't happened this year. It's okay. You know, their patience is involved. I understand some of the impatients. I get it. I think they're going to get there. And I think they're going to get there because of some of these qualities that we've seen, The internal qualities of the quarterback himself and his teammates is going to get them there.
Speaker 2: And then being the youngest team of the NFL again going into the season, I just you feel like whatever you see in week five is going to be different than what you see in week five. And there's gonna be this maturation, there's gonna be this progression. There's going to be this idea of Okay, we've done these certain concepts, we've built these concepts, and we're going to improve through this system. When you have that type of stability, same reason why I think there's a lot of reason for optimism and hope. With the defense, Yeah, the pass rush hasn't been as consistent as you want. The run defense's lapsed at times, but the ability to take away the football is something that is is that that's real and being able to build the confidence with that. I mean, I throw out that stat. It's a little bit affected now, but at the end of game day on Sunday, I mean, Xavier McKinney is like tied for fifth or six right now in terms of interceptions for the entire league as far as teams are concerned. Yeah, right, right, And then you see him bringing along like Evan Williams, a guy like Evan Williams alongside, and you see Javon Bullard getting more stop reps an opportunities. You see Eddrian Cooper, if he can put this hip injury behind him, potentially what he could add at this defense as well.
Speaker 1: That sack he had that Cooper had of I mean, that's that's one on one in the open field and Stafford's trying to dodge him, and I mean he just he grabs him by the shoulder pad and just yanks him to the ground like nobody's business.
Speaker 3: I mean, the freaking play started with him over the center.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah, that's a stunt.
Speaker 3: He looped.
Speaker 1: He loops all the way around he has he has to run a long way to get that sack, and then and and he absolutely whip Stafford to the ground for a big loss. Knock the knock the Rams out of field goal. Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, There's just.
Speaker 2: There aren't very many human beings that are gonna be able to do it with that, with that size, with that speed. And again, this is why you stick with it. You just try to corral as many of these wins as possible, and the Packers are gonna need them. We'll talk about in a second with how the NFC North did this weekend, but yeah, this is uh, the Packers are real and I think there's a lot more as dire as it sometimes felt last season when you're just like, Okay, when are they gonna catch their stride here? I just feel like if they can just get some of these wins together, if they can just start building that momentum, the talent is up there, man, I'd put this roster right now. As far as the construct of it up there, you know, with any team in the National Football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's definitely some issues with regard to the drop passes, the penalties, the pass rush when not blitzing, you know, those kinds of things that those are those are the issues that are standing out that the packers need to work on. But there's a heck of a lot of good stuff that's going on out there, and if they can, if they can get some of that other stuff, you know, just you're never going to eliminate all the mistakes, but if you can start to reduce them, you start to bring them down, make fewer of them every game than this team is really going to find itself. I think a little bit of sponsor business here. West Sirius XM. NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need twenty four to seven, three sixty five and that cousin subs. We have something for everyone like our Wisconsin cheese curds, mac and cheese, golden fries, and creamy shakes, all paired with your favorite sub or sub and a bowl Cousin subs. Fifty plus years of better.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Looking around the NFL, two undefeated teams left, Minnesota Vikings Kansas City Chiefs both five and oh. The Vikings get to five and OH with a victory in London, which suddenly became the last straw for Robert Sala as the head coach of the New York Jets. Shortly before we turn the cameras on here today, Sala was fired by Jets owner Woody Johnson. As far as the NFC is concerned, only two other teams aside from the Vikings in the entire conference have fewer than two loss Washington a surprising four and one with rooky quarterback Jaden Daniels doing his thing, and Detroit at three and one they had the early bye in week five, did not play this last week. Thirteen of sixteen teams in the NFC West have two or more losses. Hang on, buckle up, whatever you want to say. This is going to be a long and bumpy ride all the way to December and into January. But you know, the Packers are three and two up. They've chalked up a few wins, They've got plenty to work on, and it's going to take nobody's gonna have anything all that secure before December, you.
Speaker 3: Know, no.
Speaker 2: And it always does feel like this. There's seventeen game weeks and it feels like you just got to claim as many of these wins as possible, stack them in your pile and keep pushing forward. You mentioned all the teams that two wins, two losses, and I look at the Kansas City Chiefs, I look at the Minnesota Vikings, and you respect them both for being five and oh. But neither of these teams is you know, the two thousand and seven New England Patriots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there game. Their games are hard fought. All of all of these are. And you tip your cap to the teams that find a way to win on a consistent basis and put up a record like five and oh by early October, because it's not easy to do.
Speaker 3: And you look at how close it could be for Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm guessing they'd probably still be four and one if they lose that one to Baltimore in the opener. But Minnesota has been in some knockdown, drag out fights, and the Jets did not go away in that game. No, the offense struggled for Minnesota again in the second half to find some you know, when they needed the series, they got it, but for the most part, they really struggled to move the ball without Aaron Jones on the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they and the Vikings needed a defensive touchdown early on Andrew Van Ginkl gets a pick six. They end up beating the Jets by six points. The early pick six was the difference in the ballgame as it turned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, you look at Kansas City. They had their leading rushers Kareem Hunt with one hundred and two yards as long of his longest carry was eight yards Juju Smith Schuster, who's been kind of bouncing around the league as one hundred and thirty yards. I mean, Patrick Mahomes is not doing this with the complimentary parts that we talk about here in Green Bay right now.
Speaker 3: He's having to.
Speaker 2: Now Travis Kelcey erases some of that, but again, you have to work out with the pieces that you have. This week was such an interesting week though. I mean, the Bears took care of business against the Panthers like they like they should. I mean, you look at how these these games played out with just the complete dumpster fire right now that's happening in Cleveland and Washington taking it to them. Yeah, a good Browns defense being able to not be able to stop the Jalen Daniels train. I mean, over and over again, and certainly we'll be talking later this week about the Cardinals and them being able to turn back and have an answer for the forty Niners. This league is so predicated on parody that when you see teams emerge, whether it's four wins five wins, you have to respect it while also acknowledging that it's like the Green Bay Packers are not that far away from it for all their flaws and all their warts in the early part of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know people get tired of me, you know, saying things like it's a week to week league and this league is bonkers, and you know, crazy stuff happens. Here's the thing, Wes. I mean, Week five in the NFL, there were three blocked field goals, two of them returned for touchdowns in the same week in the NFL. Right, and hats off Kolbe Wooden for the Green Bay Packers gets activated blocks an.
Speaker 3: Extra point YEP in the gaming.
Speaker 1: We didn't even talk about that, but that certainly had a factor on the scoreboard as things went, and then the Rams went for two later on they didn't get it, so it was a five point game instead of possibly a three point game with just two normal extra points all that kind of stuff. But my point is It's an example of the crazy stuff that happens. I mean, one second, Seattle is lining up for a field goal with a minute to go to tie the New York Giants at home, and the next thing they know, that ball is blocked and the guy's running the other way, and the New York Giants come out of Seattle, of all places, with a victory. And so you just, yes, there are there. As I said, there's some impatience with the Packers, there's some frustrations at how things look at times, et cetera, et cetera. You just have to keep plowing through. You do your best to try to chalk up as many wins as you can. And as Matt Lafair likes to say, all you can do is keep putting in the work week after week. You put in the work to get the team to where it needs to be. Because this is a long, long roup.
Speaker 2: And there's one division right now where everybody's above five hundred and that's the way it's going to go. And I said it in Insider inbex on Tuesday, Packers cannot do anything about the division right now. They got three more games before they worry about a division opponent. Again, you have to pick up as many of these wis as you can because they're going to be hard to come by within the NFC North. The Bears defense, the way they're taking the woot ball away, the way Minnesota is taking away the football. I mean, these are some difficult opponents that you're going to be facing within your division. For as much, you know, as people have wanted to rip on the North in the past, I've always said it that the amount of teams, yes, green Bay was the staple, but the amount of times the Lions, Bears, and Vikings all found their ways into the playoffs over the last twelve years, it's noteworthy. And right now all three of these teams, other than you know, with green Bay being here, all four of these teams, they have something to believe in right now, and I think that makes this division very dangerous.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The somewhat big picture look for the Packers right now is you have four games before the bye week, and three of those four are at Lambeufield. This is an important stretch for green Bay because you don't you don't get stretches like this very often. Three out of four at Lambelfield before you get to that mid season by and it'll start this week against the Cardinals, a team that we will talk about on our next show, but for now, we're gonna call it a rap on this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team continuing with everything going on here at twelve sixty five, we'll have it for you on Packers dot com for West, I'm Miike. Thank you for tuning in. Everybody. We will see you next time.