Speaker 1: The following episode was recorded before the WGA sag Aftra strikes of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: You know, theater is something that has really been important to me in my life. I moved to New York and was really really tapped into the New York theater scene off Broadway. Still go to theater all the time, see as many shows as I can.
Speaker 3: And today's guest is something that I have never been, which is a major, major Broadway star. So whether you've sung the song Defying.
Speaker 2: Gravity or let it go on repeat, there's no doubt that you have heard her name, Adina Menzel.
Speaker 3: This is going to be a good one. I'm glad you're here. I want to introduce Dina Menzel, who is an incredible performer, a giant of Broadway, of all entertainment. Thank you so much for coming out and hanging out with me today.
Speaker 4: Thank you for that incredible introduction. I'm so I'm one of your I'm been a fan of yours since forever. So just to hear you say all that and then be included in this is is is such a gift. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, we don't I got I have. I'm embarrassed to say this we were chatting before we broll. But you know, I am I'm getting to the age where I start to forget who I've worked with and who I haven't worked with, And so.
Speaker 4: I have not worked with you.
Speaker 3: We have not worked together, yes, but I want I'm embarrassed to say that I've just I've figured out a way that I can avoid getting into a situation with someone that I'm meeting for the first time and saying nice to meet you, and then they turned around and said, you know, we did a love scene, yeah, ten years ago. So there's a thing called the call sheet for people that don't know. And it's this piece of paper that you that you can look at your on your way to the work if it's a movie or a television show, and it tells you all the people that you're about to work with. And I go onto this website and I'm not going to mention the name of the website because they're not paying me anything. But there's this website where you can put people's names in. I can put my name in. Then I can click on this little button that says connections, and it will actually tell me the connection to the person. In other words, it's almost playing the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game for you or for anybody else. So I clicked on it, and here are our connections. Maybe you know or maybe you don't know. The first one that popped up was that you were in a movie called Just a Kiss with Kira Sedgwick. Yeah, so that is our connection. And the other one I also have to mention, which is a little bit more obscure, but all so super cool is it? In nineteen seventy seven, I was in acting school with Winnie Holtzman.
Speaker 4: Huh oh really that's a great one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great connection. Who you can tell people what Whatny Holtzman did.
Speaker 4: Winnie Holtzman, she wrote the was in his screenplay. She is writing that too. She wrote the book to Wicked the musical, and she's did my so called life and tons of things Wicked. She gave the voice, the speaking voice to Alphaba and Glinda. And yeah, she's a friend, had a great actress. She's actually in she's in Jerry Maguire. She's one of those women's sitting in the living room where they're all doing that like men bashing thing, and she's one of those women.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's right. That's right. Well, for those of you that don't know, Adina was in Wicked in an incredible She was wicked and wicked and just me, it was such age and.
Speaker 4: You were nice. I don't know if you remember, and it's totally okay. It's about it's for me to remember because I was new and upcoming, and anytime celebrities came backstage that's a big deal for me. And you probably did it like every day of your life. But you and Kira and all the kids came backstage after Wicked and said hi to me.
Speaker 3: Oh, I had a feeling we might have, but I didn't want to embarrass myself and say that I had done that when I hadn't.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's awesome, And I want you to know also that probably because I was meeting you, I still want to be respectful of your wife, but because you're cute and sexy, I probably wanted to get my green makeup off before I met you so I could meet you like as myself and not as a green witch, which which was probably was one of the the occupational hazards was when I meet like the cute men, I'd have to like either I'd have to run in the shower and try to get the green off quickly and then like look pretty, or I just meet you as the wicked witch and then you never knew who I was when I meet you in other places.
Speaker 3: That's so funny. So we waited like four hours to meet you?
Speaker 4: Then, No, I didn't make you wait four hours.
Speaker 3: But oh, that's really interesting. Okay, So did you always take did you always take everything off? I mean like if the president came or.
Speaker 4: Something, you wouldn't yet, well know, because I didn't want to keep people waiting, So maybe weren't as important because it's there you go.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I didn't make the I didn't make the met or in the makeup list.
Speaker 4: No, it's all about vanity and looks and putting on a good, you know face for you. How do you know?
Speaker 3: I feel about that backstage thing, Like I'm kind of conflicted about it sometimes because I kind of feel like, I don't know, you know, when we go to the theater. On one hand, if I if I really appreciate some someone's performance, you know, I I want to go back and tell them. On the other hand, I feel like sometimes it like the backstage hang can become a performance of its own and it and it is it's it's like asking too much, do you know. I mean even like vocally right, you know, it's you know, your your instrument is like so tired and to keep and talking, as we know, is really much harder on your voice than singing is. So yes, like to have to chat it up with KB and KS and they're annoying kids.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, that was my pleasure, and it was probably it was one of the highlights, I will say, but I hear you. It's it's all part of the job. Like I find. Yeah, it's hard because you don't want to talk too much and you're trying to do eight shows a week, or when I'm on tour in a concert, you know, I try to do the meet and greets after, not before. But but then you'll also have to enjoy it, you know. I mean it's just it's so isolating, especially Broadway, when you have a big taxing role and then you're just you know, you're not socializing and you're going home or you're just seeing a movie or you know, and so you got to take in those moments when people like you I've looked up to my whole life, you know, are coming backstage and I've seen my performance. I have to take those moments in and I think I started realizing more. I realized that more when I had walked orod my son, who's now twelve. You know, having a baby helped me just chill out a little bit more as far as the performance and the perfectionism part of things, because it was like, I'm not going to hit that no one, but he had a fever. I was up all night. I wasn't gonna like not be with my son when he was sick. So I'm gonna sound shitty and that's it. And then I'd end up sounding actually really good because I was just more out of my head and just happy I showed up. And you know, so the expectation changed of myself and would that I became more more liberated. I found so the more I tried to just enjoy and not think of oh my god, you know, I mean, I'm smart and I don't drink and smoke and all that in the middle of a run. But that allowed myself to have a life.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well that's interesting because a lot of people, I think have the misconception that when you have children that now you have given up the fire in your belly in some kind of fig and that you can't and that you can't make these two things exist in one perfect sort of combination, or that you will lose somehow, you know, the edge. They feel the same way oftentimes about you know, getting married or or you know, other other sort of normal kind of things. And and to hear that you actually feel more relaxed as a performer once you once you have a child and and the balance of your problems kind of shifts and you start to appreciate that. That's a that's really cool. But by the way, I don't know if there is a note that you can't hit, so oh.
Speaker 4: You can find them, uh, and they're out there, especially with social media, and they're not fun, but yeah, thank you for saying that, but they're definitely out there. Because the other thing is that I'm not from the auto tune generation, so which I'm not judging by the way, because there's some great stuff you can do, and that actually is a we can get into that after. But the point being is that because I'm from the theater too, and I was a wedding singer when I was when I was like teenager before I got, you know, my first professional job. I just I'm all about, you know, being real and being live, which means that if you're in New Year's Eve in Times Square and it's zero degrees weather, lip syncing might be a good thing for you, you know, because then you just sound great. You don't have to worry that your voice closes up when you hit the heiha at the end of the song. But no, I had to just you know, I knew that all the all the fans in the theater would be want to know if I hit it, if I sang it in the original key, So I kept it in the original key. I mean, so much ego involves, Like sometimes my ego gets the best of me, and I think I have to sing it in the original key and want to do it for Brila and be the real deal, and then I end up, you know, screwing it up, and then people say horrible things about me. So well, where are a lot of people out there that use it as a tool so that they can keep going.
Speaker 3: And I think that you have a certain you know, you've got a certain kind of pressure on you because you have such an incredible instrument and such a range that you know, and and and and and and the ability to sing with such force and such such you know, volume and passion that people tend to, uh, you know, want something from you technically, you know what I mean, and and and that you know that like I I mean, I'm someone that can really appreciate a voice like yours and admire it and also appreciate Bob Dylan, you know, I mean I exactly.
Speaker 4: There are times where I wish I was I I enjoy I wish the people that I listen to are the people that have those textures to their voices that maybe aren't as acrobatic as me, that tell a story just with one note because the sound of living in their voice. And I actually try to counteract some of my technical aspects and the technician and me. And also have found that those times when I've been performing under the weather, really bad argument with someone in my life, you know, something whatever, something going on that first of all, people won't realize half the time unless it's New Year's even, but they don't. They still feel, they still feel the emotion of the performance, and they don't need all that stuff. And so that it's something I've had to learn that's not. I'm not wrapped up. That's not my identity, you know, all wrapped up in these high notes, like you're saying that. I get it. But I can still move people and just tell a story with my voice. I don't have to sing these crazy high long notes. I don't have to impress that all the time.
Speaker 3: And let me just say that, you know, very impressive is your own uh songwriting and you're singing of your own stuff because Broadway is nothing. You know, you're you're delivering someone else's, uh your spin on someone else's material. But they're but correct me if I'm wrong. You know, the notes are very specific. They're they're they're they're written, and you're supposed to sing them the way that the component wrote them. There's no there's no really for improvisation in a in a Broadway score. But I mean I listened to okay, I mean I really I'm sort of feeling bad about this because we were just talking about it. But uh uh Queen of Swords, which I think did you write that one?
Speaker 4: I co wrote it?
Speaker 3: I can't write yeah, no, oh, I love that. I love that song and there is that quick but what is that note? There is a crazy note in there. I mean, I'm sorry, sorry to bring it back to that, but that was me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those are moments where I'm like, I'm going to try to emulate what Chaka Khan would do. At the end of this, I usually give myself little in the studio. Yeah, people go, how do you bel to Dina teach it? I'm like, oh, I just listened to shakakanor Areta and then I try to imitate them and whatever comes out close to that.
Speaker 3: But it's a really super cool song. I love that. It kind of reminds me a little of like Toto. I don't want to get too much in the weeds on yeah, on the on on your your songs, But I mean there are a couple more that I just want to mention that I also love, which is, uh, I do did you write that one too?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I can't believe you're picking up these cool songs that people do not know and that I'm very proud of.
Speaker 3: Well that you don't know them, you should check them out. I mean, uh, Dina, you know the.
Speaker 4: Truth that it's your making the songs that have a kind of an edgier vibe, and that's you know, like if a Dell Disese put out an album, she would put out some crazy efanescence like rock headbanging. I mean there's a side of me that wants because I can't seem to shed the Broadway just to digress for you know, no matter what music I put out, it will always have like Broadway people. If you listen to these people, then you would like this music. And I'm like, this is a like a funky ass rock to And now you're putting you know, Carol Channing as a listening let me go, let me reply, you know, so thank you for picking those songs that have some edge too.
Speaker 3: But I can just mention one more and that is a perfect story and the reason that I love this song. I think about this song. I mean, you know, if you go to I think it should be required listening. You know, when you go to a wedding, it's you know, selling very good time or having a gel or you know whatever it is. And then there's that's that's that green Day song that they always play graduations and and this song should be required for children of divorced parents. It is such a touching, moving the story about what sort of how to how to handle that I mean, I you know, my my wife is a child of divorced parents, and and uh she thought the song was beautiful and and uh, I'm not. But I just think it's I think it's just think it's a gem.
Speaker 4: Thank you. It's funny that whenever I go to the studio to work on new music, my son walk Girls goes, could you write me like a happy song? Only something you wrote for me is sad divorced song to writes something about me being like a powerful boy and good at basketball. I'm like, I'll try, I'll try to fit that. But yeah, it's us. It gets better for anyone out there going through it. And and my ex husband, Tay and I are good friends. And he is in that movie with Kira that're talking about, and there's probably he's probably you guys have probably done something together. I don't know, but it's hard. It's just the most important thing. I really just stressed to people because I watch friends doing it even now. It's just not speaking badly, disparagingly about each other to in front of the kids. It's just whatever you do, it's just and that's and that's no matter what differences we had. He's been really incredible about both of us, about respecting each other in that way, but just yeah, just like kind of failing and not that I came from divorced parents, so I had sworn I wasn't going to do that, you know, and that idyllic perfects upbringing whatever that means, quote unquote and failing my son and not giving that to him. Of course, now he's twelve, and I realize what a cool kid he is, and he's got this great dad and a great step dad and they love each other, and he's got like two rooms and lots of two things and lots of love, and he's going to be a really cool person, probably grown up because he's experienced this in his life. So I wish I would have let myself off the hook back then, but I just felt so like such a failure, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're also trying to I mean I think that, you know, I can't speak for a woman's experience, but I would think that also trying to have a career and be a mom at the same time is a I mean, I've seen it, you know secondhand that it is a very very challenging life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's wanting things for yourself when you're supposed to be giving everything to your family. You know, it's so contradictory. They're just contradicting terms and it doesn't need to be, but it just it's constant, just feels it's constant guilt, and you know, being away and how long and is that okay? And or just being in my home and not giving them all my time and you know working and yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Speaking of parents, were your parents how did they feel about you choosing this life? Was there like a day when you told them?
Speaker 4: Or was it just just I was always saying how about you? I was always singing, you know, jumping up from behind the couch. And uh, my dad was a little bit more uh hesitance, you know, made sure you mine are in business. My mom was always do what you love, got me the lessons, told me she didn't want me to work as a kid. Kid. How young were you when you started? Were you really young or just wow? Teens?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean professionally, I kind of guess I kind of started when I got out of high school.
Speaker 4: Okay, but yeah, she didn't want me doing it before then, so which I'm glad. I'm glad about that because uh, you know, I went to summer camp and had pretty normal life and was in the school plays. And because it comes in Long Island, says at Long Island. Yeah, and then I went to n y U and that was even hard to be. And I went there to tish and everything for theater. But it's even hard to be. I know, everyone loves at school, but it's hard to be in Manhattan studying. You feel like everyone's doing something and you got it's like I'm ready to be I was ready to be out instead of just being some we're on a campus somewhere and just enjoying learning and studying and being in the school place. You know, a clock already. And so I always tell people go somewhere more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of distractions in New York. Yeah, and you have You've got you know, Broad Broadway there just screaming at you.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, you should be doing something, you should be going in Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, on the other hand, I would think that that became, you know, a kind of a driving force for you, you know, at a pretty young age, right.
Speaker 4: And the diversity and outside of school, like just being surrounded by so many people with different passions and that I mean, I think being in Manhattan is the education itself at that age, you know, coming out of that very homogenized white neighborhood and Long Island and being able to see the rest of the world there. So that was the the education really. Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 3: That's a great education. Uh you know, but you know, I like to I like to say that we one of the things that is important to in terms of like, uh, living your life and trying to expose yourself to a lot of different kinds of people is that that's what you're gonna have. Those are the people you're gonna have to play. You know, You're you're you're probably not going to be asked to play, uh, you know, a Broadway singer too often, you know, so you have to you have to go and and uh make yourself available and keep your heart open and and and and that's one of the great things that I found about. Yeah. I moved to New York when I was seventeen, and that whole giant I mean, even though I grew up in the in Philly and the city, but that whole world was so influential on me in terms of the people that I was going to have to play and continues to.
Speaker 4: But you've played such a variety and so then it makes you probably the empathed person that you are because you've you've played people from all sides of politics and spectrum of you know, people's morality and I mean everything. So you've really you're forced to really look at life from so many different through so many different lenses. That makes you That's why, like what you're saying in your introduction, with these six degrees and everybody sort of seeing something in one another, that's probably why you're the perfect one to do this because as an actor, I mean, as actors, we we can get typecasts, but you don't. You play everybody, and so you've had to like really do research.
Speaker 3: And I try, I try, just keep doing shit against the wall to see what sticks. So when you talk about I mean, I'm so many people have mentioned this to you before, but you happen, you don't happen. You've been in these incredibly iconic sort of UH projects and roles like Wicked and Rent uh which which by the way, we also loved that we probably didn't come backstage, or did we You might.
Speaker 4: Have had and and I want to remember it if you did.
Speaker 3: I mean I think I I think I probably went to so I read probably four times. But uh Frozen obviously, I mean, wow, what what you talk about? Iconic piece of pop culture? Uh, Glee, all these things. I don't think it's obviously there's no coincidence that you keep bending up in these things. You are obviously a big part of what makes those things explode in the way that they do. Do you ever like that has your career journey or where you've ended up. Does it ever take you by some prize? Do you ever stop and go I'm surprised, like something like something really surprises you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all the time. Well, first of all, let me bring it down here. Yes, I'm very proud of those zeitgeist moments that I'm a part of, but they are like once each decade, So in between them, there's a lot of uh am I going to work again, obscurity moments, getting dropped from record deals, you know, different things that maybe are the things that give us the enduring, you know, the endurance that we need to stay afloat and keep wanting to be in this business. Maybe, so that's not all like it happens to me, and then it goes away. So then I have to appre I appreciate where I've been and that I had to work myself back up to get there. And so yeah, but but yes, I'm starting to say to myself, now, oh there's a nice there's a nice pattern. They're of these these beautiful roles that are all sort of all connect with like a young audience, no matter how much older I keep getting. It's about really helping people embody and and and be uh, their their strength and the you know, celebrating the the unsung hero, the the maybe the marginalized person or whatever. What is that about? What is it about for me?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 4: And so chicken or the egg? Of course, I don't know. I'm just I don't look at gift horse in the mouth. I'm just I'm happy because I don't know. I don't know why I have I'm just very seekful. I mean, yeah, maybe I have a way of recording, I have a way my voice has something in it, you know. I don't know. I just I know that when the understudy comes on, nobody they all still come in and watch the show. They don't leave, they don't all return their tickets. So it's obviously this I always see is my way of putting myself down. And like Kevin Bagin's, give me a couple of it. Just take it, you know, just shut up. Yes, I'm amazing. I don't know why.
Speaker 3: It's because you have the ability to find the humanity in a witch, you know. I mean, like, so that's that's really what it's about, you know, for for an audience to sit there and and you know, see a witch and find humanity or or an animated character and you know, bring it to life. I think that's really to me that that's what that's what that's what I would I feel. Thank you, you know, and thank you for pointing out that we do have peaks and valleys in our careers, because so often people just look from afar and you know, I think that at a certain point, not everyone thinks that the struggle is over. And I don't think I've ever talked to an actor that just goes, okay, that's it now. I can just ca I did it. I can just kick back, you know. It's it's we're we're we're because we've all been unemployed and because we well I can't talk for everybody, I can tell you for myself. If I'm when a job ends, that's not a vacation, that's like the beginning of the hunt for the next day. So like I've tried to learn in my life.
Speaker 4: To enjoy that time a.
Speaker 3: Week, no, not really, but to take a week to actually call something a vacation, right, because I know that the time in between is not it's I mean, I'm getting a little better at it, but but but I do think that, you know, I'll mention to people, well, you know, that was a really kind of a rough time, and you know, in my career, they're like, what what, why are you what are you talking about? Because they just don't nobody can really like understand that there are these peoples and valleys and that, as you pointed out, we are oftentimes very very hard in ourselves.
Speaker 4: But even within the job, even within the I'm sorry, no, no, no, and in the job and for me, I'm going back and forth to theater and film and TV and record it in a studio which is a very solitary place, and then being on tour in front of lots of people singing myself, you know, like I feel like I never my Like right now I'm doing a film and I always feel like it's the first time because I'm going back and forth to different medium. So the muscle I'm flexing is always I'm like, wait, what camera is as closed as this?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: You know? I just I never feel experienced when I go back to something, even the same with going back to do the stage thing, and it's like, and that's beautiful that there's I'm not it's not predictable, but I also like to feel like an expert once in a while, and I never do.
Speaker 3: You know, Wow, I just want want to ask you one more, uh show biz question, and that is about Uncut Gems, which is one of my favorite movies. I absolutely love that movie. I loved you in the movie, you know, Adam Sandler was fantastic and and Kevin Garnett, Oh my god, what a what a what a performance uh ag gave. I mean I just was like not knocked out by that. I'm not expecting it, and uh, I just wanted to, you know, ask what that what's that? What is that like with the Softy Brothers, Like, I mean, it just the movie has such a like a crazy energy fanaticism.
Speaker 4: Yeah he as, It's not as chaotic as it feels because I was actually trying to think about that when I was on set, like how did they Once I saw them, was thinking, how did they achieve this? What is it? Is it the steady cam?
Speaker 3: Is the thing?
Speaker 4: Is it the environment? They said on set? I mean for Will has two of them, right, and Ben Benny Saffie holds the boom really so he's yeah, so he's like holding them boom. By the way, he's an amazing actor. People probably don't realize that he's starting to do more and more, but he's an incredible actor. You know, you're starting to see him in a lot of things. But he holds the boom and gives you direction right there and then good yeah. And then you have his brother behind the monitor and they're both yelling out things to you. Most of the time they're in sick Sometimes they're and they're contradicting one another.
Speaker 3: But faster slower, faster slower.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or it's more like, okay, leave the script alone and it just improvise it and then they're like, okay, go back to the lines. I'm like, what the fuck are the lines anymore? But that's why Anam was just I just want him to get his his his due. I think he is now, but he's just God. It's just really easy, you know. I mean it would be the same with you. I mean people that are just inhabit the character and the world. All you have to do is to listen and then I sort of relaxed myself. He's just incredible that way. So, I it was so much fun. Plus it was a darker film for me. You know, it's like, it's not it's not a Disney princess. So I'm trying to break out once in a while. I mean, I'm trying to access the other parts of my character and my personality that people aren't aware of when you play a Disney princess. And uh, so that was fun to just do something a little darker.
Speaker 3: Well, you were fantastic in the movie, And for people that haven't seen it, go check out in uncut gems. It's it's a really good movie and it's it is dark, but but she's awesome in it, and uh and and definitely not a Disney princess, so it's it's good.
Speaker 4: Disney Jersey no long Island Princess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: If you were inspired by today's episode, please join us and supporting six degrees dot org by texting the word bacon to seven zero seven zero seven zero. Your gift empowers us to continue to produce programs that highlight the incredible work of everyday heroes, well also enabling us to provide essential resources to those that need it the most. Once again, text b a c N to seven zero seven zero seven zero or visit six degrees dot org to learn more.
Speaker 3: Now, I want to talk about a broader way, which is the foundation that you started. So we're going to bring out your executive director, Tori. Yourbeard is here, so tell me how did you guys meet?
Speaker 4: We have a mutual friend named Philip McAdoo, right, who is in Lion King and Toy is in Lion King. Yes, how did I meet Philip? Philip through Tay my ex. Anyway, we we met and Janine too? Sorry wait is that how? Yeah? So Geno stories as as most of you out there, I know, very wonderful and very successful Broadway composer and and so okay, I had this vision. I had gone to summer camp for the six years of my life. I was very lucky to do that. It was a very bunch of entitled girls in a camp. And as I got older and I started to have some of these roles that were and that were really connecting me to young women, mostly young boys too, or theys as we would say now, but kids really searching for themselves in our identity. I found that I wanted kids to have this experience of going into getting out of the city, going up into the country, being able to rewrite them the themselves, rediscover themselves as young people during the summer, and use the arts to help them do that. So I called, actually called George Wolf and said, will you help me with this? And he said no, but you should call Janine And he said no in a lupping way, he was busy at the time, that you should call Jeanine. And then Janine brought in Toria and this whole team of wonderful, beautiful people that are now my good friends that run that run this with us. And so what we had started with thirty girls from mostly Harlem on the Lower East Side, and now we're not going on a twelfth yere door. Yes we are young. The youngest girls have now come around and are going to be counselors and are taking sort of ownership of the foundation. Itself. And that's always kind of what we hoped for, that we would sort of be able to step back a little and let let them do their thing.
Speaker 3: Is it well, is it in the summer or all the time?
Speaker 5: Be a round the campus in the summer every summer the program is on year round.
Speaker 4: It's grown. Yeah, because we realized that sorry, after the like ten days of being together, that it wasn't you know how like after a film you have a you crash, you could come down from all these wonderful people and this incredible experience you've had. And then so especially with these young people that we were with, I mean they were going back, some of them going back into environments that were challenging for them, and we just we wanted to stay connected, and so we had to keep raising money in order to keep the the programs throughout the year.
Speaker 3: So tell me what the experience would Let's just start with the camp. Let's say what would what would the experience be for for the for for the girl who goes through that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you want to go a Dina? Do you do it? So?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's ever changing.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is that. I guess I'll tell you about what it's like first, and then we'll talk about this ever changing aspect because is that is that's like one of the coolest parts of it to me. But camp is the beginning of the broader way journey. So you start camp, you would start camp between in the summer between fifth and sixth grade, and be welcomed by a whole bunch of people who are super excited to meet you, who feel like they know you already because they've been staring at your photos or your audition submissions, speaking to your parents, speaking to you, and trying as best as you know they can to get to know you. And then we do an orientation, a lot of like contract building with the community, our community to say, like what languages do we what language do we want to use, how do we want to treat each other? All of those things, and then much fun ensues after that. Many classes and what we used to call fundamentals, but that has so have expanded over the years, Like they take many many classes and many creative disciplines, filmmaking, choreography, dance, vocal music, what else, theater, spoken word.
Speaker 4: A lot of fine arts stuff they have. We we've moved around, but the facilities that were able to lease the space from usually have these great, great facilities so they can they do a lot of like painting as well.
Speaker 3: And it's an overnight. It's an overnight in summer.
Speaker 4: Like ten days over. And yeah, and we should say that, we say audition, but we are first thirty girls. All we had what thirty girls audition and we took.
Speaker 3: All thirty that's audition only kind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because we're finding that it's the arts. It's not just about what your quote talents are. The arts are, like we were talking about before Toy came on, Kevin, you know, it's about empathy. It's about walking to someone else's footsteps and understanding other people's experience in life. And for a lot of these young women, I keep saying, I keep hesitating toward because I want to we're struggling with how we how do we say it because we want to be inclusive of everyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we it's every evolving as we get more information back from the folks in our community. But we were saying young women and films or female identifying young folks, and now really I think we're moving towards saying young women and people on the gender expansion or gender expression spectrum.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, that's fantastic.
Speaker 4: But the point being that they that they all we all need to find our voice and like and that, you know, I relate to it because I feel like everyone thinks I have this huge voice and that means I can find a way to express myself on my own personal life because I have to speak voice. But it's not true. I'm constantly searching that voice and how to you know, challenge tackle things in the world. And and and you assume I made them. I made the misconception of assuming that these girls were from really tough neighborhoods, so to speak, which was a misconception to begin with, and then assuming they were going to come in and be loud and often they were actually really shy and insecure, and we needed to help them even just be proud of saying their name and introducing themselves. So it's the art. I'm not doing a good job at this tour. I'm a little out of practice, but like using these the arts are so much more than just for the kid that can kick their leg up to their head or sing out some great no you know, it's they help these our young and really find who they are. And experiment was all different kinds of it was all different kinds of creative outlets to do that.
Speaker 3: Toria, let me ask you, you are a performer, and what was it about your own experience. I don't know a whole lot about your history, but that made you think that this was something that you wanted to get involved with, because obviously, whenever anybody is out there doing good work, there's always a million other things that you could be doing. Was there something in your life that kind of drove you towards this? And also sort of two poor question, what is it that you get out of it?
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, first, I started my artistic journey as a dancer, and I had wonderful mentors, but I was also in small dance companies or smaller regional dance companies at in the beginning, and we had to do a lot of outreach.
Speaker 4: It was part of how the.
Speaker 5: Companies made money or earned, you know, money or grants or whatever to exist to sustain themselves. So I started teaching at a very young age, and I had teaching modeling to me at a young age.
Speaker 4: So from that once.
Speaker 5: I began to develop my own practice as an educator and also deep in my practice as an artist.
Speaker 4: It was it became very important to.
Speaker 5: Me for really using teaching dance specifically as a way of connecting with young people and as a way of expanding all of our like our vision about what life can be. So, like Adina said, I had been working with Philip to develop some programs with young folks around New York and in South Africa at the time, and it was just part it's part of my personal mission.
Speaker 4: I love spending time with young people.
Speaker 5: I have grown so much, like my world has completely opened up because of this opportunity to partner with Adina and everyone else at a broader way, including the young folks. I have seen myself change. I've seen the way I think about myself and my place in the world has changed because of a broader way. I understand accountability in a very different way. And I also learned at a certain point, maybe like a little bit more than halfway through my time out of Bay, which started in the beginning, that as much as I think I'm teaching, if I will just stop talking, I can.
Speaker 4: Actually learn a lot.
Speaker 5: So I have learned so much from the young folks that I am in collaboration with, even as a mentor. You know, now I have a different idea of what that can be. I think peer mentorship is important. I think it's important to allow ourselves to be mentored by people who are younger and maybe less experienced in certain ways than we are. So and it's been so wonderful to continue to work with Adina as your I mean, I feel like we're so different now than we were in the beginning, but we've you know, sometimes people grow apart, and I feel like we've continued to grow together, which is so beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think that you've You've what I've been working on a lot in my life in the past few years is just shutting up and listening. That's and you can imagine, as you can imagine, that's been very challenging for a guy like me. But it really, it really is a really really uh I think that's a really good lesson. That's really uh the inspiring to hear you hear you say that, and tell me a little bit, Torri about the about the impact that you've seen on some of these uh people that that that have attended the program or or continue to come back or or I think I think you mentioned that they sometimes end up working there.
Speaker 4: Wow, let me think about that. I mean, I've seen.
Speaker 5: Young people go from being very shy and withdrawn to being fierce advocates for themselves and other people. I've seen the realization that, you know, if I am the first person in my family to go to college, I don't have to pick like a safe career, or I don't have to follow the path that I've seen other people follow.
Speaker 4: I can chart my own course. I can do something different.
Speaker 5: And most recently, one of our original campers we call them the ogs, joined our board of directors. Oh wow, that's a massive and we have many that are counselors and that work with us in other capacities, But that that was the mark I think we were we've all been waiting for. And to have her voice in there, like guiding the organization is incredible.
Speaker 3: Are the counselors. Are the counselors people that are professionals in the industry or people that you know that people come up and do sort of like drop in seminars. I mean, tell me about the staff.
Speaker 5: Both they're both professionals and some people drop in. Adina's brought in many incredible guest artists, and then we have a roster of creative team members that say we know or anybody knows that wants to come and work with the young person. Thing is is that once they do it one year, they typically always want to do it, so the roster doesn't rotate as much as it as it could, I suppose. But the counselors are usually young people who are studying social work or social justice or nursing, you know, people who really have the desire to work with young people in this capacity because you know, it's hard to be away from home. Like Adina was saying in the beginning, some of these young people have never been away from home, or they they've never been outside of the city environment. So you know, the bugs, the darkness, there's a lot.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, sure, yeah, yeah, wow, that's amazing. So then in the rest of the year, tell me about the other programs that happened outside of the summer camp.
Speaker 4: Mhm.
Speaker 5: We so we have a school year program for the younger participants and they do many of their workshops, but we we most like they'll do like choreography workshops, and we meet up every month to do like what what we call a workshop. But it's really like a long check in and we usually have a topic that are something that's happening that we are gathering around and discussing. We have guest artists come in and just guest speakers. And then we started a program named after Jeanine Tasori, which is is an authorship program, so they make work mentored by professionals in choreography, songwriting, filmmaking and spoken work.
Speaker 4: So that's been really important to Torri and myself, especially that we weren't just this camp in the beginning and this organization that the kids were doing a bunch of revivals of shows that they don't even have a connection to or you know, And so for us, it was about how can we allow them to create and help them execute their own visions. So Janine would have them write a lot in the beginning. We found that their writing turned into their spoken word or so while someone was performing their spoken word their poem, someone else was choreographing a modern piece behind them, and then someone else would compose music to going to neither that kind of thing, and then we'd have more of like a recital where we felt was the celebration of all of their work and teaching them that theyre authors of their own lives and you know as well, and that they have that we want to we want to hear and see what they have to offer.
Speaker 3: So it sounds like you're not doing a production of Footloose there.
Speaker 4: Not out of the rol up possibility.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not, but it could use a little bit of an update, I think.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we would just su mess with it a little.
Speaker 3: I think you'd have to. Well, that is really incredible. I mean, Adina, I know that from myself, stepping into this world was like of you know, trying to figure out how to in some way give back or use whatever kind of celebrity you have to do something in a positive way. Was a little like was overwhelming, and actually sometimes continues to be kind of overwhelming. But it's but it feels as though you found something that's just very much a natural fit with you and where your your heart lives. And certainly to find Toria, you know, and and for you guys to get connected and be able to put this thing together is you must feel really good about it.
Speaker 4: I do. She she and the whole our whole group. They've made me a better person. Honestly, I've learned. I learned more from Toria, the our staff, and our young campers. I've learned more about myself through them than they probably have learned from me. But yes, it is very rewarding and and we I think what we pride ourselves on is that we are malleable and that we are learning and growing. And we we always had this uh illustration of a of a tree that we sort of have these roots that we all need, you know, in the ground, that hold us strong and steadfast, and then we have our branches. But branches can't be brittle otherwise we break. So we have to be able to move and grow and evolve. And it's kind of something that we take an image we take with us and I think as an organization we're doing that as well. And so we so tell us how hold each other accountable.
Speaker 3: Tell us thank you, tell us how people can help out, how they can where they go to find out what you're doing, to to donate or to volunteer, or how they can get involved.
Speaker 5: W w W do people even still say that BroaderWay dot org a broader Way dot org?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you can, like just you could you could sponsor a camper just to get started, like one camper for the summer would be amazing help.
Speaker 3: You know the greatest idea. I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they can get in touch and it will help them, will make it easy for them to help.
Speaker 3: That is awesome. Yes, ser well, thank you guys so much.
Speaker 4: Amazing you for having us on and allowing us to shine light on this organization and just letting me hang out and talk with you is a big buffet list thing for me.
Speaker 3: It was really fun, I really really fun, And thank you both and I will see you down the road.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, thanks for listening to another episode of six Degrees. And if you want to learn more about A Broader Way and all the good work that they are up to, head to our website, a Broader Way dot org.
Speaker 3: You can find all the links in our show notes, and.
Speaker 2: If you like what you hear, make sure you subscribe to the show and tune into.
Speaker 3: The rest of our episodes. You can find six Degrees with Kevin Bacon on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 4: M