Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discuss the top political headlines with some of today's best minds. And according to The New York Times, the Desanta's campaign has burned through nearly forty percent of every dollar he's raised in his first six weeks without ever airing a single television ad.
Speaker 2: What a show we have for you today.
Speaker 1: White House Senior advisor Mitch Landrew explains why Joe Biden has been able to build the strongest economy and generations. Then we'll talk to NYU laws Noah Rosenblum about why Trump and the Heritage Foundation's plans to expand executive power are so scary and dangerous. But first we have former Vermont governor and close personal friend of mine presidential candidate Howard Dean. Welcome back to Fast Politics, Howard Dean.
Speaker 3: Bank nice for having me on as always.
Speaker 1: You're a fan favorite and also one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: That's the more important.
Speaker 1: It's true, I want to talk to you about this. I feel like this Republican primary world, we're just watching it.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting to me. We keep seeing the whole week.
Speaker 1: I feel like was a lot of reporting about the DeSantis campaign having a reset again and again and again. Talk to me about what you're seeing with this crazy Republican primary.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's the most fascinating thing is that all the Republican money is going into Body Cannedy's campaign and no labels. Basically, this is John Roberts legacy. Democracy is for sale, and it is. If you put tons and tons of money into doing all kinds of weird things to undermine the Democratic Party, your opposition, you have a better shot. And these guys, the oligarchs, the right wing oligarchs, are spending money so as a disrupt democracy because they know, in a straight up vote that's fair, the Democrats are going to win. Knock of the Democrats are so wonderful, But because I think people really do want to live in a democratic country, right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, it definitely seems like this is the move. It's this Harlan Crow kind of prop up. I mean, I also think it's like they know Trump can't grow the elector ad so and they know they can't take down Trump because they're too cowardly, and so they've decided that this third party option is the only way they can win.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, that's true. I don't think they're too cowardly to trade takedown Trump. I think they can't take down Trump. They want their money. You know, Republican conferences are great because they run up huge deficits by giving tax cuts, which is George W did it, George HW did it, Reagan did it. Trump certainly did it. They give huge tax cuts for rich people and then they blame and the enormous deficits on the Democrats are too much spending. At this point, they're talking about cutting Social Security and most people don't want to do that, no matter what political part they're in. So is what the Roberts Court did is make democracies for sale, and now many years after Citizens United, these decisions are coming home to roost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's certainly true.
Speaker 1: I mean, you see with this Republican primary group, every strong candidate has their own superpack, right.
Speaker 3: I mean the billions and billions of dollars going into this, many of them are un reported. I mean, they literally bought the Supreme Court. They're flying around justices on their planes and then they put billions of dollars into the process by which Supreme Court justices i mean are are selected. They have destroyed the Supreme Court. Well, the Supreme Court's destroyed itself, but the billions and billions of dollars that are behind this are extraordinary. Look, these oligarchs do not give a damn about democracy. They do not care. And that's true in all societies, not just in the United States. We for a long time had a bulwork against that, although we almost lost it in the nineteen twenties, and fortunately Roosevelt came out long and check some of their power. But they've worked very hard in the last century to get it back, and now they have it back and we are on the precipice.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you, I just want to get to Roosevelt for a minute. I'm sure you saw this MTG speech where she compared Biden to Roosevelt and what Biden is doing to the New Deal, and I was wondering if you had thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I think that's probably true. I'd like to see Biden expand the New Deal, and I think most people would like to see Biden. I mean, the right wingers think that Roosevelt is a bad word. Well, Roosevelt doesn't mean much to many of the people that are still alive, but he did save the country, and ironically, Franklin Roosevelt saved capitalism from itself. And we're going to have to try that again, and it's not so easy.
Speaker 2: Will you say more about saving capitalism from itself?
Speaker 3: I think capitalism works, but nothing works without some regulation, some checks and balances. And what the right winger Republican Party has done by the same technique as Hitler, they through hay in Anger, they have put the oligarchs in control, and the oligarchs that are in control because they have lots and lots of money. And the problem is there's no reasonable solution. You can't fight somebody who owns their own television network with the small amounts of small donations. I mean, it helps, but it's small donations. So Roosevelt came along when this happened in the nineteen twenties and finally the economy collapse, which is eventually what will happen here if this keeps up. Is he put in place guard for the ordinary people, for farmers who are starving, for old people who had no medical insurance and were dying in their apartment. And he put in play some guard so that capitalism worked for everybody and any system. I don't care what system it is, is not going to work unless it works for everybody. This system that we now have does not work for everybody. And the Democrats know it. Sometimes they're courageous enough to say it, and sometimes they aren't. And the Republicans hope the system keeps working for them because all they care about is power. They really don't care about the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's funny because I think about right now, these Republicans, a lot of Republican governors are certainly Sarah Sanders and her ilk are loosening child labor laws in the hope of right. I mean, so insane. And now you're starting to see stories about children getting hurt on the line. I mean that seems like a really good example.
Speaker 4: And why are they doing it?
Speaker 3: Because child children are cheaper and you don't have to give them a lot of benefits because they can get some state benefits. So it makes your business run easily, so you give more money than you're the Republican representative who keeps undermining safety standards for children. And here they are talking about the terrible threat that the point one percent of the American is who a transgender post and Meanwhile, the business community is putting our kids to work when they're fifteen years old in dangerous jobs, and the Republicans are saying that's just great. This is insane. It's going to end badly, and these guys will not have any control over the ending. But the couples that will tell you to be the end of the country if it happens. So we just need some sanity. Unfortunately, forty eight percent of the people in Washington, DC have none, or maybe it's a smaller percentage than that, but the other ones are too afraid to confront the people in their own party.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking at like last week and this week's House schedule and an included platforming. RFK Junior included yet another weaponization committee. Hearing a Republican from Wyoming, Harriet whatever her name is, talking about how Christopher Ray was trying to frame conservatives. I mean, there were just so many yikes moments in this GOP Congress. I mean, do you think that it's smart for Democrats? Should Democrats be running on the fact that Republicans in Congress have lost their minds?
Speaker 2: Harriet Hagerman, that's who I mean.
Speaker 3: I think yes, But that's peripheral. I mean, Democrats have to run on decency and including everybody, and most Americans, believe it or not, across the spectrum, think that everybody ought to be treated fairly. Most people that do not agree with the Supreme Court, and I mean that's why the numbers are so awful. And people think that the Supreme Court is just a political body, which it is, but they think so because the Court doesn't understand fairness, because they don't care about fairness. So most Americans who do care about fairness, and this is people in both parties, although it's obviously skewed towards center left, do think that the decision about saying that the women in Colorado didn't have to help a gay couple if they wanted to her, you know, buy her product. They think that's wrong. Most people do not think that women ought to be told what to do by correct governors like Greg Abbott. They think that's wrong. And politicians should stay out of the bedroom. Most Americans think that by wide margins. So that's what we should run on. And I think we can have a lot of fun with the antics of some of the Republicans. I mean, I thought that Biden put out an ad about Marjorie Taylor Green saying some ridiculous thing. Sure, that's their games because she's got so much publicity now that he represents the Republican Party just as herschel Walker did, and the elections in Georgia for the Senate, So there are individual congress people we can go after if we want to. But the truth is this is much broader than that, and most people in America have no idea who Jim door Jordan is and they wouldn't care. I do think that the broad themes are really important and people know we're right, So we have to articulate that.
Speaker 1: Like I think about this Supreme Court and how when that three ZHO three creative decision, that's the Colorado website designer who hasn't designed any websites but might want to discriminate against gay people. They made a whole showing in that decision of expressive speech, that there's expressive speech and then there's speech speech. And this isn't discrimination because it's expressive speech. It's not true. And in fact we're seeing now as a result of this, already this summer, we're seeing discrimination based on this decision and different we're seeing reporting of people who don't want to marry gay people who are already saying, well three h three creative says I don't have to. It seems like a lot of this very maga Supreme Court opening the door to discrimination. Do you think that's what they're doing? And if it is, are they doing it on purpose or do you think they just don't understand anything.
Speaker 3: No, they're doing it on purpose. The Republican Party, and this of course includes the court justices who were put there by the Republican Party, and they are very wealthy benefactors the Republican Party believes, and they pull for this. The Republican governor in Virginia is a classic case. Reasonably modern Republican got a lot of money.
Speaker 4: But right poem kidded that people.
Speaker 3: Would really be upset if they're on racial stuff going on in the school. So what did they do. They invented this critical race theory thing which doesn't exist in any public school in America, and then went at that saying, oh, they're teaching you to hate your kid. The stances is on this too, but the guy in Virginia did it first. Then they gin up that all your kids are going to suddenly who were born as girls are going to suddenly decide that they want to be men, and that's pretty unsettling the people. You know, if one of your kids decides that they might be transgender, that's a big deal in the family, and most people don't want to have to deal with that. And if you ask the transgender person, they will tell you how hard it was for the most part to get through all that. So the Republicans know that, and in the abstract they can use that to scare the hell out of people, and that is what they are doing. And the Court is absolutely compliant with that. Don't forget literally, you know, and the Federal Society screened these people to make sure that they're ideologically pure before they run them up to the White House, and in the case of a Republican president, simply rubbers Dampson, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, we don't even know how much Trump even knew about these people he put on the Supreme Court, which is probably for the best, because otherwise he put a bonk on there. I just I want to get back to this. Congress has an opportunity here. They can do more to hold this Supreme Court accountable.
Speaker 2: I mean, and if it were reversed.
Speaker 1: If it were a bunch of liberal judges, don't you think Jim Jordan would be ben ghaziing this Supreme Court to the hilt.
Speaker 3: The Republican Party has no principles left. That's not to say there are not some principal people in the Republican Party, but they lack backbone. So they need a combination of a principal transplant and a backbone transplant at the same time. It's a very difficult procedure. I'm told yes, So that's exactly what's going on. Exactly what's going on is you just saw the vote yesterday in the Judicial Committee. Every single Republican senator voted against any kind of accountability to the Supreme Court. They wouldn't even allow them to have an ethics program. That's insane. Now that we can run on because most people don't like the Supreme Court and they know they're politically oriented and they don't like that, so that we can run on.
Speaker 2: This is not a great map for Democrats.
Speaker 1: You have been confronted before, was not a great map for Democrats.
Speaker 2: How do Democrats sort of survive this?
Speaker 3: Actually think we can win this map? It's going to be very hard and that set it's going to be harder than in the House. And one of the most interesting things is what's going on in Alabama over there. It's just's right back to the nineteenth fifties where the Alabama Legislature won't tobay the Supreme Court, even their own Supreme Court which they own in that party, but they will not do what the Supreme Court said, which is to create a second Black district. And they're about to submit a map. Is today the deadline that doesn't conform with the Supreme Court ordering on the subject. That's unbelievable. Here we are, We've wound the clock back eighty years.
Speaker 2: I mean, what happens now with that?
Speaker 3: Damn if I know. That's a compregational moment, and it's going to happen again and again. It's going to happen on the other side. So one of the things that that's going to happen is somebody in Texas is going to get in the fifth mythit that the fists drone and to have an abortion, and they're going to get it from Vermont or New York in the mail. And you know, the fools have run Texas are going to send out an extra will it even the Republicans did have the nerve, I must state a sideline, Ken.
Speaker 2: Paxton, Amazing, Yeah, right, amazing.
Speaker 3: There is a small That's why I say, there is some small amount of backbone and a few people, and sometimes they all get together to add up to one backbone. So there's going to be a confrontation. Somebody's going to put out an extradition wark for a doctor who sent the pills into Texas, and the governor of state is going to obey the state law and not extradite. Then what happens? And then the Supreme Court might order their extradition and there will be no extradition forthcoming. Then what happens? You know, we are rapidly approaching the place where the conspetition is going to fall apart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean what do you do when that? I mean, I guess none of us now right, there's no precedent. I mean we're seeing this already. If Red States refuse to follow the law, then that's what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: When Red States refused to follow the law, it's not a problem because they own the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court just rubber stamps what they do. This Alabama situation is going to be fascinating though, because the Supreme Court spoke first and stead, you have to fix this, and they're not doing it. So we're back sort of where Eisenhower was Neural Warren's chief justice. Whether the Supreme Court is going to do.
Speaker 2: About this huh so insane.
Speaker 3: So we're there and interesting, interestingly, it's not the Blue states to provoke the potential crisis. It's a red state by pushing the envelope. Because if you let people get away with this kind of stuff, they'll go further and further and further. And that's what the right winning the publican party is done.
Speaker 1: So incredible, you are optimistic. I have one last question for you. You're a little bit optimistic about the Senate map.
Speaker 2: Tell me why.
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't say I was optimistic. What I said was, I don't think we should give up on it. I think Tester is likely going to likely going to win, but I think Cruz could lose. That would give us a seat. Managine, I'm not sure what he's going to do. Say we lose that seat, But if Cruz loses and Tester wins, and I think the others supposed up in the air seats, they're not up in the air. I think we're going to be fine in Nevada. I think we find in some of the other states that the inside of the Alway folks are talking about. So this isn't going to happen without effort. There's a ton of Democrats who are working very, very hard to make sure that the Senate doesn't flip on the House side. I think we have a shot taking back the House because I think we'll fix the problem in New York if the Assembly caused by not doing what the just to what they should have, and I think that's probably going to get fixed. I think we'll fix the problem in California. And if Louisiana and Alabama actually do obey the court that they hire to to do all these things, then we'll pick up a couple of seats there, which, of course is exactly why McCarthy and people like that are telling the legislatures, calling into the Alabama legislature telling him not to obey the Supreme Court. That ought to tell you something about the decadence of the Republican Party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the decadence of the Republican Party. Howard Dean, please come back.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Mitch Landrew is a senior White House advisor and former mayor of New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Fast Politics, Mitch Landre.
Speaker 4: It's great to be here. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to have you.
Speaker 1: I was so thrilled that you were appointed to this senior advisor and infrastructure coordinator, and I was thrilled when by and appointed you. And you know for me, your Confederate Monument speech will always make you an incredible, I mean, a hero. I'm sorry to bring this up. I not was a while ago. It was several seasons ago in the reality television news industrial complex that we live in. But you made a choice that almost no other elected officials make.
Speaker 4: Well. Thank you, first of all, thank you for that. Unfortunately, the need to do that and the reason why we had to do it continues to be with us today. Raises this nation's Achilles heal. It always has been, and we have not yet figured out how to adequately confront it or deal with it. You have people today that are trying to ignore the past. They think that ignorance is bliss, and that's the best pathway to a more perfect union, which is completely wrong at this particular point, unlike you know, some other points where we thought that we had that all this issue, it's clearly not. And those monuments are just a symbol of people hanging on to a false past and a false narrative of America that's going to take us in the wrong direction. And so there are many, many, many people who went before me, and there are some really very courageous people out there are still fighting the fight that's based on a really pretty simple principle that we all come to the table of democracy as equals, and that the reason why we said a more perfect Union is to denote that you can't have a reach perfection and you have to keep But we have a long way to go. So I'm hoping that and I'm sure that it's going to happen by the way, that the next generation of leaders at a stepping up, we're going to pick up that mantle that has been laid down by so many people, not the least of which was John Lewis, who unfortunately was taken from us too soon, who reminds us that although we've made great progress, we have a long way to go.
Speaker 1: The speech you gave was about how these Confederate monuments, which are not of the time at the Confederacy. They're actually later as a I mean, you know, a lot of them are not actually civil war monuments. They're set up as a way to keep people down after reconstruction. So I just am wondering, like, are you disappointed that so many years later it has still been so difficult to get rid of them and to move away from.
Speaker 4: This Well, James Baldwin said once that it is because I love the country so much that I reserve the right and assume the responsibility of criticizing her in that vein. You know what that speech was, if people have a minute to read, it was an invitation to people that haven't thought about it very much to open themselves up to understanding our history and our fullness, and to really understand how wonderful the country really could be if we ever could go through and I say, go through the issue of race, because you can't go around it, you can't go over, you can't go under it. It is a wound that has not healed in this nation. And you know that was brought back to us as it is way too frequently. The murder of George Floyd and those that were murdered before him, all the way back to Emmettil and before that, and then all the way through our Trayvon Martin and George Floyd, and so many examples that that would spend all day talking about them to indicate that we have a long way to go on lots of different issues. You see now in the political sphere, you know there'd be actually being a retrenchment, much like had occurred during the area of reconstruction when the black codes came in, and then we made some progress and there was a clap that there was a civil rights and then there was a clap back. Then there was President Obama's election, and now we're at a clap back again. But the issue has been with us since the beginning of time, and it is a constant struggle. And I think that the forces of light have to kind of stay at and keep the shoulder to the wheel because, as I said, freedom's not free. You have to earn it every day, and this is the rent we pay for living in the greatest country in the world. So there is always a level of disappointment that we don't do better. There's also a sense of gratitude for those people that have sacrificed so much to get us this far. But we ought not be clear about what direction we want to go into the country, which is forward, not backward. And I think that if this is not clear to people in America, it should be the diversity as our greatest strength. It's not out weakness. It is the one thing that separates us from every other country. And the idea that we all come to the table of democracy is equals understanding that we've been unperfect and we haven't reached that, But that's what we ought to be reaching for. We ought to be reaching for separation and disunity and oppression and making sure people don't get a right to vote, are making sure that people can't live where they want to live or love who they want to love. We ought to be heading in the other direction. And I think that's what this president has been talking a lot about when he says we want to revive the soul of the nation, we want to unite the country, we want to rebuild the backbone of the country. I think in many ways, you know, President Biden is actually walking the walk on all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's talk about your job in the administration during the Trump administration, every week was infrastructure a week, but he never built any infrastructure. And now Biden is actually building a lot of infrastructure.
Speaker 2: So talk to me about what that looks like.
Speaker 4: Well, as a general rule, the former president really did everything anything he said he was going to do, but she should have tried. So I'll leave that there. Because I'm not involved in the politics and stuff, but I am an American citizen, then I could make observations. I will say this that as a general rule, you know, the federal government over time says we're going to do something, and they pass a bill or they don't pass a bill, and then at some point in time they leave it up to the states and the cities, and you know, to see what might happen. And sometimes passing a bill, as hard as it is, is the end of the route. Well, in this instance of infrastructure, of rebuilding our country, which has a lot to do with whether or not people who have been left out actually have something physically to stand on, can build generation and wealth out of it, actually can get a good job that can bring neighborhoods together. It's critically important and for the last fifty years in this country, all the presidents talked about infrastructure week and then they would have able to deliver. They won't able to pass a bill this president when he ran for office. Remember now, I mean this is a proven fact that now when Joe Biden took off, there was an active insurrection under away, and then there was the worst public health crisis that was seen in our lifetimes plus some. And yet he put a stellar cabinet together, which is right, by the way, a majority female first time in the history of the country, all of whom are better than the next. They're all competent people that are working really, really hard. And he then passed for the most significant pieces of legislation that was seen in the land fifty years, one of which it is the Infrastructure Bill, which is one point two trillion dollars to rebuild the roads, the bridges, the airports, up ports, waterways, to make sure we have high speed internet. Amazingly, not everybody in the nation has it. Can you imagine going through COVID again and having access to high speed internet, how alienated and left out you are, how far behind you would be, Whether you're a kid who's trying to learn or a small business owner. You're a farmer who's trying to do precision agriculture, or a fireman trying to get someplace where you don't know where they are. I mean, that's really kind of crazy that most people in America don't have it. And then making sure that everybody's got clean air and safe water. Now many of us take this for granted, but if you live in the Black Belt, are you living the delta? Are you live in some parts of this country. They're folks that don't have indoor plumbing in this country. And then many of our kids that are sucking dirty water out of lead pipes that are given a brain damage, so we're changing that too. And then finally, as you know, because of the existential crisis of climate we have to move into a clean energy economy. And they're substantial outs of money that are being spent in partnership with the private sector to basically rebuild the entire country. Now, the President not only passed these bills and found the political muscle to make that happen, but then he said this smart thing, and this is what really separates him from past presidents. He said, well that's not enough. Now we've got to get it done. Now we've got to implement it, and usually that's where the federal government stopped. And so he asked me to come up with kind of a lens of being a mayor and said, how'd you rebuild the city of New Orleans? What did that look like? How did it really work? Because he's got it right already, he's a local government guy. It works when the federal government, the state government, and the local governments all know each other, are communicating with each other, are coordinating with each other, and are working across and all the way up and down, so that, for example, all the cabinet secretaries are coordinating their efforts so that when a mayor or a congressman or a community leader comes up here, they don't have to talk to twenty two cabinet metters. They can just talk to one group of people. And then I've talked to all the governmors on behalf of the president and asked them to appoint an infrastructure coordinator. The job it is to coordinate the state. And then I've talked to sixteen hundred mayors and then we put them all in a room together and say, okay, look, you're the team that's got to get this stuff to the ground. So my team is kind of doing the three things. We're building the team, and that's what I just talked to you about today. Now that was the government side, but you got to get the faith based community, the not for profits. Everybody's got to be in the same room. Communities have to set priorities, and so that's the first thing, build the team. The second thing that we're doing is we got to get the money out the door, because if you have a team and you got no money or you got no equipment, you can't get anything done. We've pushed two hundred and twenty billion dollars out of the door in eighteen months. We have thirty five thousand projects that are in some level of formation in forty five hundred communities in all fifty states, in the territories, and in the communities. And then finally, we have to tell the story, which we do because we want to tell them from the perspective of the people who are being impacted, because that's who the president'cyes.
Speaker 2: That makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: So you sort of taking your mayoral wisdom well, and there as a reason for this because oftentimes, and I mean this just observationally, if you're a legislator.
Speaker 4: You're a congressman, you're a senator, you're a state legislator. You generally are advocating for something to happen. You're not responsible for actually getting it done. That's what happened on the executive branch side. But there has been a disconnect on how you execute big, big, big things in this country over the last fifty years. So you actually have to go build and completely rebuild what I call the mousetrap, the execution side of what we're doing, which requires an intense amount of planning, vision, setting priorities, and then actually getting it done. And when I mean getting it done, I mean actually digging dirt and building the bridge, where you're going to do it, who's going to dig the dirt, where you're going to get the materials from, where the employee is going to come from, Which one of the projects are going to get funded. All of those things require an intense amount of communication and collaboration, and of course we haven't done something this big in the last fifty sixty years and arguably since the New Deal. So we're in the process again of doing three things at once that ing up the team. We're getting the money out the door, and then we're telling the story about how it's impacting real people in real time. And I can give you bucketloads of examples of the people that we're touching, because that's what really matters. So like if I'm traveling around the country and I'm in meta Georgia and we're talking about house speed Internet, I'm talking to the men and women that live in that quasi rural community about how it's going to help the principal in that school get those kids of better education. I'm talking to the emergency medical providers about how quickly it's going to help help them get to folks that they really need to do, telling medicine for a grandma or grandpa that might be living out in the rural community that doesn't have access to a community hospital because it closed, maybe because of a state didn't accept medicating. We're talking about, you know, the guy that's working the lock and damn, the Montgomery lock and dam in Pennsylvania because we're trying to make sure that barges can move much more quickly and get more goods from ships to shells more quickly. Who is that guy? Well, how long is he been working there. How much generation of wealth is he able to build up? Is he the third generation? You know, folks are if I'm in the Imperial Valley in California and we're talking about the water crisis out there, meeting a young girl named lose Is with a mom and daddy living in a mobile park, who is working the fields but is not making enough money, and by the way, is drinking water that has arsenic in it. That's to the president. See. So, yeah, it's an infrastructure project, but the whole point is to lift up individuals and to give them opportunities they never had. And so you have if you want to do it fast, but you want to do it right. You don't want to miss anybody, and you want to make sure that you make it part of the pro growth economy, because, as you may recall, not too long ago, people said, oh, this is not going to work. Y'all can't make it happen'll y'all are trying to do too much with this stuff, and so you can't do it fast, you know, And that hasn't turned out to be true. So I just like to tell people that Joe Biden is bringing the receipt right now and I know that have it. When he ran for office, they said he never could get elected. When he got elected, they said it never get anything done. When he started to get everything done, he said that he was too old. And now that the numbers are coming up, roses, we're not in a recession. We don't think the economy looks like it's going into recession, although people have been, you know, saying the sky was falling for the last year and a half. The most noted economists in the country, All of a sudden, thirteen point two million jobs. Hello, how many?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 4: More than in two years that any president has done in four years, the lowest unemployment rate. Oh wait, you can't fix the economy if you don't lay people off and reduce wages. A president said, not only no, but hell no. And now what's happening economy strong, wages are going up, they're gone up. The number of jobs available has gone up, not down. And so all of a sudden, all of a sudden, there's this popular wisdom that was supposed to apply just doesn't apply. It turns out that you got the right man for the right job at the right time in history doing the things that the country has needed for the last fifty years. Everything's coming up roses in many, many ways, although we still have some tremendous challenges that we're not finished. But it looks like we're doing pretty well on every objective metric that you would that you would judge presidents on over time you would like to is a stock market going up or it's going down. It's going up, okay. So so I kind of, you know, I'm a kind of political you know, had you know, kind of chuckles a little bit, and I really kind of start to chuckle the most. And the President's got a good sense of humor and big show, so they'll appreciate this that. And he's told me and everybody else in this administration, don't listen to all the noise. Go everywhere in the country, Red states, Blue states. People voted for it, they didn't vote for it. I represent everybody in the country. Make sure everybody gets it. But he does chuckle a little bit at at us doing groundbreakings in states and congressional districts where congressman has said it has voted against this bill. They said it was socialists, they said it was communists, They said it was going to destroy the country, and they show up for the groundbreakings and the ribbon cuttings. Then they come back to Washington and try and try, and then they vote. They voted against the bill. Then they come back and try to cut the budget. Then they try to claim credit for it. And I think the American people are going to see through that because at the end of the day, the president is like, look, I'm here just to make the country aboutter place, and I'm delivering. I have the receipts and uh, and we're going to keep working at it because you have a long way to go and we have a lot more to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. I want to ask you tell me about the trains. I feel like I can't get a straight answer on the trains. What's the question, Like, what's happening with the trains. I'm very interested in the trains. I love the trains.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you and my boss. If you know, the leader of the free world has a lot on his mind, and he's got a lot going on every day all day. But if you say the word trains in front of him, he's likely to stop and have a very long conversation with you. Okay too, he will remind you of a couple of things. The first thing he will tell you is that he's written on Amtrak more than anybody in the history of the world since the beginning of time. You should It seems a little bit of exaggeration, but not so much because the people of America may not know this. But he he was a local government elected official, and when he ran for office when he was twenty nine, having been on the Delaware on the Council and before when he became a senator because of his tragic family story, as a good dead would he commuted every day back and forth to Washington on Amtrak, and so he has clocked a lot of miles. And he actually, because of that physical experience that he had every day, actually pretty much knows every inch of what they call the Northeast Corridor. So if you live in the South like me, you might not know what that is, or you live in the West you know, you might not know, but the entire corridor from Boston all the way down to Washington, d C. And he wants to make sure that we get fixed at Amtrak's very important. Also, he wants to make sure that we're able to lay down high speed rail somewhere in this country in a reasonably short period of time, and then see if we can connect people in other areas in the country to the extent that it works. So there's sixty six billion dollars in this bill that is designed to improve rail serve was across America, and we're working on that right now. Amtrak, of course, is the big player in that there's a substantial amount of money to actually help fix the tracks, to actually help fix the spaces and the places where the trains stop along not only the Northeast Corridor but across the country. There is substantial amount of money to make sure that folks with disabilities have access. There's a substantial amount of money to actually rebuild the cars for the new clean energy future, so that to make sure that those cars are manufactured with parts that are made in America. We have a number of different companies that have planted new plants in states that are producing thousands of jobs, that are actually doing this very thing, and we're well in the process and well along the way on that. You may have noticed that last week Satadashumer was able to highlight a fairly significant announcement in what they call the Hudson Tunnel are the gateway projects. These are the rail lines in and out of New York and New Jersey, starting on the Northeast Corridor, which of course is one of the most heavily traveled harriets. And so those investments, in partnership with the States, are going to improve rail service in America faily significantly. But that's a big That is a big, big, big project. It's going to cost a lot of money, it's going to take a lot of time, but eventually, you know, we want to make sure we go faster, go safer, get as many people off out of their cars as we can. And if the President says, if you can, you know, get them there faster and cheap. But that's what they're going to do, and that's what that's what we're trying to do.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I hope you will come back.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely come back.
Speaker 2: We'd love to hi.
Speaker 1: It's Molly and I am wildly excited that for the first time, Fast Politics, the show you're listening to right now.
Speaker 2: Is going to have merch for sale over at.
Speaker 1: Shop dot fastpoliticspod dot com.
Speaker 2: You can now buy shirts.
Speaker 1: Hats, hoodies, and toe bags with our incredible design.
Speaker 2: We've heard your cries to spread the word.
Speaker 1: About our podcast and get a topag with my adorable Leo the Rescue Puppy on it. And now you can grab this merchandise only at shop dot fastpoliticspod dot com.
Speaker 2: Thanks for your support.
Speaker 5: Noah Rosenblum is an assistant professor at NYUBAW.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Fast Politics, Noah Rosenbom.
Speaker 4: Hi, so glad to be here.
Speaker 2: We're delighted to have you.
Speaker 1: So just tell us a little bit about what your field of study is.
Speaker 4: I'm a legal historian of constitutional administrative law. I mostly focus on the history of the administrative state. The administrative state, I tell my students it's basically what people think government is. So if you think about every interaction you have ever had with someone you think of as the government, whether it's a tax collector or a mortician or the person who validates your marriage license, they're all different parts of the administrative state. So I work on the legal history of that.
Speaker 1: It's pretty interesting, So let's talk about I think the first thing we need to talk about is this bonkers bombshell piece that was in the New York Times a few days ago, which had the title, which I think is like a little bit misleading considering how bonkers.
Speaker 2: The stuff in the article was.
Speaker 1: But it was Trump and allies forged plans to increase presidential power in twenty twenty five. Talk to me about what you're thinking there was and what you saw.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad to hear you call it bonkers and understated for how extreme the proposals are. That was my reaction too. I think the first thing that can be surprising if you're not a historian is that even though Trump is the one who seems to be pushing this, and the version that Trump is pushing is the most extreme version of it I've come across. Actually, people have been making arguments like this already for nearly fifty years, and during the George W. Bush administration, arguments kind of like this, and when Nybele were made at that time, they really freaked a lot of people out too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that there are a couple of scary things in this article. But the thing we were talking about last night, which I think is perhaps the scariest, is that clearly this push to widen presidential powers is not coming from Don Junior or her Jared Kushner or Donald Trump himself, or even Trump's favorite three piece suited lawyer, Borisch Epstein. This is really coming from a third party heritage.
Speaker 4: Like Tank, right, I would think about this as a deep historical story. So there's a book love by a historian at Columbia named Kimberly Phillips Fine called Invisible Hands, The Businessman's Crusade against the New Deal. And part of what Kim shows in this book is that even all the way back to the nineteen thirties and the first significant institutionalized effort to make the United States more socioeconomically democratic, you've got resistance coming from rich business interests. The villain is the dupap family, and for what it's worth, there's still the villain now. And these rich families who had a lot to lose from the creation of a more economically egalitarian society. Initially they tried to fight the New Deal kind of on its own terms, but that was just incredibly unpopular their position to try to fight the New Deal on its own terms, because after all, the New Deal was about empowering the vast majority of Americans, a special working Americans, and if you're a super rich polutic prat and your whole political position is that you don't want to do policies that benefit the vast majority of the Americans. You're just going to be on the losing side of those fights. So over the course of the next years, they started to change the way they made their arguments and to come up with new ways of trying to attack what were basically social programs that they didn't like. And one version of that attack is this attack on the administrative state. And so you'll remember, back when Trump was president, Steve Bannon famously gave some interview in which he talked about how his goal was to deconstruct the administrative state. And for somebody like me, that's set off alarm bells, because a lot of what the administrative state does is implement those New Deal era programs. Also Lyndon Johnson Eric great society programs, And in saying you want to deconstruct them, what you're really saying is that you want to eliminate those programs. So the question becomes away, So how are you going to go about deconstructing them? And I'm sorry for being such an academic, but I just have to name check two of my incredible co authors Levman and and Ashamed, who both teach at Columbia Law School, and with the two of them, I've been doing some work, and part of what we have been trying to expose is the way in which arguments for presidential control of the administrative state have been a powerful tool for doing what Steve Bannon wanted to do, for trying to undercut the administrative state or deconstruct the administrative state. So I don't think it's an accident at all. You know you were saying a second ago, Molly, these kinds of arguments, they're not coming from Trump or even from World. They're coming from the institutionalized conservative legal movement, and Trump is their useful mouthpiece. And that's exactly right. Right, arguments for strong presidential power, particularly coming from the right, have been used to try to attack the administrative state, which delivers a lot of things that the vast majority of the Americans want and like, and the theory to use it to cut through the administrative state that is a tool of the anti New Deal reactionary right.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I would also add that there are like a lot of people in the administrative state who think of themselves as completely nonpartisan, whether or not they are, but they consider themselves to be above politics. I mean, I would think at least this kind of person existed before Trump ran for office. And so I mean there's a lot of things the government does that have no you know, driver's license from driver's licenses right to fixing roads that have no partisan BND whatsoever.
Speaker 4: Oh no, absolutely, it's not just consider there's even academic evidents. There's empirical evidence that government bureaucrats are actually way less partisan than people think they are, and they tend to have a moderating effect and be more centrist. So even the most extremely liberal government bureaucrat really primarily devoted to public service.
Speaker 2: Right, So let's talk about Article two.
Speaker 1: First of all, when Isaac Chattner from The New Yorker wanted to interview you, did you get scared?
Speaker 4: You know, the scariest moment of my life is opening my seeing an email from Isaac Choetner saying I'd like to talk to you.
Speaker 2: But I think, you know, he.
Speaker 1: Had a good point, which is he wanted to ask you about this larger administrative state. And one of the things that you guys talked about was Article two. First of all, explain to us what Article two means. Second of all, explain to us what Trump thinks Article two means. And third of all, put this all into context for us.
Speaker 4: Please, I'll do my best. What is Article two mean? And that comes back to the point that you made a minute ago about that Bonker's New York Times article. So the New York Times article talked about how Donald Trump wants to consolidate power over the government in his own hands. And as the New York Times article explained, the legal theory for doing that drew from Article two. So what is Article two are? Article two is the second article of the Constitution. It's the article in which most of what the president is able to do legally under the Constitution is elaborated. So what is Article two do? It gives us the basic constitutional framework for understanding presidential power. What does Trump think Article two does? Yes, he told us, right, he says, I have an Article two and it lets me do whatever I want. And Isaac, I'll say it again, right. I think Trump genuinely believes that the Constitution makes the president into something kind of like a king. And in Trump's defense, there are a lot of people who've made arguments that are kind of like that. I don't know anyone who's ever made the argument that Article two creates a kingship. And indeed, even some of the most royalist readings of presidentialism highlight that, in the words of Michael McConnell, a conservative law professor at Stanford, right, the president who would not be king, It's not a kingship. Even the strongest versions of presidentialism would say no, no, Article two did not create a kingship. However, people have elaborated all kinds of arguments that under Article to the president should be able to exercise a tremendous amount of power over the federal government. You have to make those arguments in a constitutional frame, because otherwise, if we were looking for where the president's powers come from, we'd say, while, they come from statutes. But statutes, of course, are drafted by Congress. And shockingly, even though Congress is in the habit of delegating lots of power to the president, Congress isn't in the habit of giving the president so much power that the president can do whatever they want, to run the country any way they want. So if you're going to make arguments that the president has got this kind of expansive article to power the Donald Trump. Right, I have an article too, and it lets me do whatever I want. What you're saying is that the president has the power to cut through a whole bunch of other alleged restrictions on his power, which means you've got to come up with a constitutional theory that would let you cut through those statutes.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's what this.
Speaker 4: Is exactly right. So when I read that New York Times article, like I said, it reminded me of this much longer crusade against aspects of the social democratic state. It echoed a strong version of what sometimes called the unitary executive theory. That was the way that it was described a lot during the George W. Bush years. And it's this idea that because Article two says the executive power shall vest in it's either a president of the United States or the president of the United States, I should really look that one up. But the key client the executive power is vesting in a singular person. That means that the singular person of the president should be able to exercise all executive power. And what is executive power, while it's not legislative power and it's not judicial power, is the way the argument goes. Or in other words, it's not what Congress does and it's not what judges do. But if you stop and think about that for a second, most of what the government does is not what Congress does or what judges do. In fact, for most of us, most of the interactions we've ever had with the federal government are with parts of it that are not what Congress does or what judges do. So what the theory really seems to be saying is that everything that the government does that's not Congress or judges needs to be under the control, maybe even the direction, of the President of the United States. And that might not be a kingship, but it starts to be pretty close to one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's completely crazy. Why do you think that conservative think tanks like Heritage want that?
Speaker 4: That's actually a really deep question. The reason it's such a deep question is because it's not obvious that if you're interested in let's just say market ordering, and in particular low government regulation market ordering, that the way to do it would be to create a super strong president. You might be happy with basis, I'm not one hundred percent positive. That's part of why in this piece that I mentioned with Ashahmed and livmannd we tried to look into the history a little bit. What I can say is that in the nineteen eighties conservatives were really interested in strong presidential power as a reaction to one the already existing social democratic state and to a liberal Congress. So if you think about it, right, by the time we get to the Ronald Reagan presidency, the Democrats have had control of Congress for almost fifty years. Couple, there's you know, Republicans are in charge of Congress for a little bit.
Speaker 1: But this was all because of Nixon. I mean, yeah, Nixon gave it to liberals. I mean, you know, if Democrats had had a guy who did lots of crimes, well it was an all as they would have.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Democrats were in charge of Congress even before Nixon, Right, So it's more like Nixon reads an additional life into the Democratic Congress, and the Democratic Congress isn't always super pro regulatory. That's a much longer story. But if you've got a Democratic Congress and you're a Republican president, then it certainly helps to have a theory of presidential power that will let you ignore what Congress is doing or at the very least cut through some of what Congress is doing. And the fact that the Republicans were perceived to be the party of big business meant that if you were a big business you might want to be behind a strong president who could cut through what the Democratic Congress would do. So that's one bucket of arguments. The other bucket of arguments might just be that by the time we get to the end of the twentieth century, we've already built up a regulatory apparatus, and obviously it's a super imperfect one, right, I don't have to tell the listeners of your show how obviously inadequate the regulatory state has been. Nevertheless, there was a lot of it in place, and so if you were the kind of interest that wanted to cut through those regulatory activities, you had a better chance doing it through the president who could have reached through them, especially if you had a Republican president in office, then you might through Congress. So what Ahmed and minand what ashen Lev and I argue is that actually the reason why folks like Heritage are interested in a strong president is in order to advance deregulatory priorities. Because the president a strong president can be the deregulator in chief. And for what it's worth, that totally explains what it looks like Donald Trump wants to do with the office.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: On the one hand, it does seemed like he wants to use presidential power to advance what are frankly just you know, nativist, xenophobic goals. But when it comes to the actual management of the American markets, you know, if you think about the way that his Environmental Protection Agency acted, the way that he thinks about safety standards right this, it seems likely that were he empowered the way he would like to be, he would be using that power to make it easier for large agglomerations of capital to operate, not harder.
Speaker 1: But these are the same people who were furious with Obama for executive orders.
Speaker 4: Are you suggesting that how people think about executive power based on who gets to wield it. I'm scandalized that political actors are politically are politically active.
Speaker 2: And partisan.
Speaker 4: Part of my journey one of the reasons I'm a law professor is because I was really taken aback by the flip flopping around questions of executive power as we went from the George W. Bush administration to the Obama administration, to the Trump administration now to the Biden administration. And call me old fashioned, but I would like to see some integrity at least in our thinking about what makes for good democratic government.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't think that's happening anytime soon, though.
Speaker 4: You're undoubtedly right. That's why, that's why I became a law professor, and that's why or on the waves trying to help save our country.
Speaker 1: I want to like step back from minute because I'm hoping we can talk about amendments the Constitution. I'm going here like on purpose because one of the you know, we have this very very conservative Supreme Court. Trump managed, with the help of Mitch McConnell, to install three justices really when he should have really only installed one, right because of the timetable, and or maybe two, but it seemed like, you know, they were very smart about the way they did it.
Speaker 2: So now it's a six ' three court. They are in bolden.
Speaker 1: They are remaking our country in weird and wild conservative ways, everything from water to abortion. Congress does have some power here to keep them in check.
Speaker 4: I'd even say Congress has a ton of latent power if only it can get its act together to exercise it.
Speaker 2: So talk to me a little bit about what that would look like.
Speaker 4: So the Constitution says very little about the federal courts. It says that there shall be a Supreme Court, but it doesn't tell us very much about what that Supreme Court has to do. It defines its original jurisdiction, the cases it has to hear as a court of first instance, learn very many of those, and then the Constitution doesn't require the creation of any lower courts at all. It leaves that to Congress to create whatever courts. So, in other words, the Constitution leaves Congress a tremendous amount of space to define the number of justices on the Supreme Court, the kinds of matters that the Supreme Court gets to hear on appeal, the number of other intermediate federal courts that exist, their jurisdiction, and how they go about hearing things. So, if you were a Congress interested in curbing the Supreme Court, you could do it by adding new judges to the court. You could do it by creating lots of other courts and having different kinds of cases in different ways before they get to the Supreme Court. You could also do it by transforming how the Supreme Court itself operates. So let me just say more about this idea because it's one of my favorites. Imagine if instead of having nine justices on the Supreme Court, or twelve justices on the Supreme Court, or whatever, the Supreme Court had one chief judge and every other judge in the federal system were Supreme Court justice, and the Supreme Court heard cases in randomly chosen panels. Most of the federal appeals courts operate this way. There are twenty judges on a federal appeals court, but a case is heard by a randomly chosen panel of three. And there are some good things and bad things about that system. But I'll tell you one thing. It means that instead of having a durable super majority or you can just count the people in advance and know whose personalities you need to appeal to, the composition of the court is the product of a random process, and it will roughly correspond on average to the balance of the other judges where part of the pant or part of the court system as a whole right, So that would be sort of a way of immediately transforming out the court operates and completely constitutional, by the way, truly no problems with it at all. And then a plan that a lot of people have been pushing that is another totally constitutional way of doing things would be to just limit the court's jurisdiction. So very famously, during Reconstruction after the Civil War, the radical Republicans in Congress, the ones who had fought the war to save the Union and were trying to make sure that the treasonous white supremacists in the South who had lost the war and betrayed the Constitution, weren't able to take advantage of the large ESTs of the victorious Union by allowing them back into the Union to undo the victory. Those radical Republicans were worried that the Supreme Court was going to strike down parts of Reconstruction, and so what did they do. They just stripped the court's jurisdiction, and the Court absolutely went along with it, because it's so clear that Congress has that power. I actually think another kind of fascinating moment to think about is after the election of eighteen hundred. So this is back to all of our high schoolistory classes, but up until eighteen hundred, the federal government had been controlled by the Federalist Party, that's George Washington Adams, and the election of eighteen hundred is super vituperative right way high on the partisan opposition scale between Jefferson and Adams, between the Federalist Party and the Democratic Republican Party, Jefferson wins first time. The new government is transferring power between parties, and just to really underscore how much the two parties hate each other, right, each party is convinced that the other one is trying to destroy the public. So, like you know, should remind us of a situation we're currently in. Anyway, when the Democratic Republicans come into power, the Federalists, their enemies, have stocked the federal courts with Federalist judges to try to hold onto power. So it's a lot like the current situation. And in fact the Supreme Court, in particular, John Adams jams through John Marshall to be the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. He puts a major Federalist and a big enemy of the Democratic Republicans at the head of the Supreme Court. What do the Republicans do when they come into power. The first thing they do, of course, is they refuse to serve a bunch of commissions, and we can talk more about that. That's where Marbreaving Madison comes from. They repeal the Midnight Judges Act, but they also just cancel the Supreme Court's trump. They just say, you know what, the Supreme Court isn't going to hear any cases next year. And the next time the Supreme Court comes around to hear cases, you bet that John Marshall is thinking to himself, wait a minute, if I issue rulings that are so repugnant to the people of this country, it's possible that my court will lose all its legitimacy, and the Congress and the Democratic Republicans in the Congress will go further to further trim my sales answerp me of power. And so the Court changes course. The Court reacts to the fact that it was out of step with the will of the people. So, you know what is this tell us about the current moment. I think it's a reminder that at other moments in American history, the executive and Congress have been very aggressive in trying to rein in robue Supreme courts. The Supreme Court has gone rogue before, and it has been brought to heal before through the ordinary political process and the powers that Congress and the President already have.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Noah, We're going to have to have.
Speaker 4: You back anytime. Molly, it's really been a pleasure.
Speaker 1: No moment exectly Jesse Cannon, Molly jung Fast.
Speaker 5: So I feel like it's a little rough waters when Ron DeSantis has to defend this terrible policy he has teaching this curriculum and he's not navigating it. Well, tell me what you're seeing.
Speaker 1: Ron DeSantis today had to defend his curriculum, his new Florida curriculum, which argues that slaves may have learned some useful skills. Ron DeSantis' communication director for Education Florida is a guy called alex Land Franco T. Konini, who was a frequent Mom's for Liberty retweeter. He said that this in his African American history standards, his statements had any attempt to reduce slaves to just victims of oppression fails to recognize their strength and courage and resilience during a difficult time in American history. What so, let's just talk for a minute about some of these slaves they used to talk about as people who were able to get jobs from being slaves. Okay, So one of the people is called Ned Cobb. He was listed as a blacksmith, but he actually was a tenant farmer and not a slave. And another person is called Henry Blair, and he was listed as a blacksmith, but he actually.
Speaker 2: Was never enslaved.
Speaker 1: And as you look through a lot of this history, you see that a lot of these people and one of the people they list is Betty Washington Lewis, who is the white sister of George Washington. So I think it's important to realize that what is happening here in Florida with their education standards is not making anyone smarter, and for that they.
Speaker 2: Are our moment of fuck ray.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday and Friday to hear the best minds in politics.
Speaker 2: Makes sense of all this chaos.
Speaker 1: If you enjoyed what you've heard, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. And again, thanks for listening.