Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty and now he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 1: Every story I see about cell phones and classrooms makes me respond it as they always treat it like it's news to people that it's a detriment to learning for a kid to be sitting in a classroom looking at.
Speaker 2: Your cell phone.
Speaker 1: Well they just figured that out, Jack, that's no discourage. Just I don't even know how to process the world sometimes.
Speaker 3: I know. We did an interview yesterday with a terrific guy he writes one of the few remaining newsletters, websites or whatever about radio and podcasting that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: We were talking about growing the show and all, and we both made the point that at this point in my life, I just want more people to hear sanity. And I realized it's kind of paying ourselves a compliment. But when I hear you say people act as if it's a new discovery that is a smartphone in school distracts the kids, My head wants to go Kirk Blue, I know, or if I see people ignoring Islamism or misunderstanding how political movements work, or or the Smithsonian Institution became a you should hate America museum, and then the monsters who run it deny it because Marxists sly so much. I just I want people to hear the other point of view. It's not about money or fame. At this point, I couldn't give a crap all loough of the money's nice, but I mean, seriously, point in my life, as Jack Offin says in the Winter of Our Lives, it's about, Oh my god, if I can like move the football an inch down the field or back towards sanity.
Speaker 2: Man, I'd like to do that.
Speaker 3: Having said that, moving on, I came across this piece. The title of it is I didn't realize how addicted I was to my phone until I went to prison, and I thought, oh, that's kind of a twist. I wonder why I went to prison. I'll bet he discovered that he's too dependent on his cell phone, and he actually found it kind of liberating and enjoyed life in a weird way more in prison.
Speaker 2: And all of that stuff is absolutely true. I would have suitcased mine.
Speaker 3: In Oh Boy, Oh boy, that which is imagined can't be unimagined. Michael, Oh, Lord, the PROI even worse, But it's it turned out to be way more interesting than I expected.
Speaker 2: This guy.
Speaker 3: First, he describes making his final call to his wife, telling her how much he loved her, as his aunt and sister were gonna drop him all federal prison. Wife was back at home with the kids, trying to preserve any sense of normalcy. This guy had been on the Cincinnati City Council for a decade. In twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, he was gearing up to run for mayor when the FBI targeted him in what he called an elaborate sting operation. Undercover agents posing his real estate investors made campaign donations which I believed to be ordinary and routine and disclosed in public filings. Federal prosecutors nonetheless indicted me on public corruption charges, alleging a quid pro quo. He points out that he was acquitted on four accounts, convicted on two, and sentenced to sixteen months. A couple of years later, the President pardoned him and the Supreme Court unanimously vacated his convictions.
Speaker 2: Nine oh. They said, this guy shouldn't have been tried, and he shouldn't have been convicted. So anyway, it's.
Speaker 3: All ready I'm like, wow, this story is way more interesting than I thought it would be. The landmark case was the governor of Virginia. What's his face before young kin? It doesn't matter anyway, So but this guy ended up doing quite a bit of time.
Speaker 2: And yeah, he makes the point.
Speaker 3: That as a politician, especially his cell phone was practically a bodily appendage. He goes into the stats the astounding amount of time people spend on their phones.
Speaker 2: He says, I was no exception.
Speaker 3: Whenever mine would buzzer, chirp, I'd immediately shift my attention from whatever I was doing to the incoming stimuli, even though the pings were not always time sensitive work emails, updates from our kids' school, not always hardly ever, right exactly, relentless spam from political campaigns, he says, yes, even people who've held off his eight days, which I thought was kind of cute. And then he and his wife would text each other all the time, and and sometimes it was and he says, as his sentence got closer, often it was unprompted tender I love you text for no particular reason, because they realized they were going to be pulled apart and everything. And yeah, he does come to the conclusion you think he's going to. But here's the other stuff I liked at prison. One of the first things you see is a poster warning inmates and their visitors against and threatening punishment for bringing contraband, especially phones, onto the compound. And he says, I felt my inability to contact my wife acutely at that moment. He had like preemptive loneliness because he knew how hard it would be. He got the strip search, they took him to his cell, he met the guy is Selly, and.
Speaker 2: The guy's salid. No.
Speaker 3: No, they don't mention the food situation at all. And he really really wanted to text his wife and tell her, hey, it's okay. Everybody's been really cool so far. It's worth mentioning he was in one of your club feds okay, as a nonviolent first time offender. But here's what it gets more interesting. Soon I'd see inmates unveiled smartphones all around me. Really, yes, the economy inside prisons is an incredible testament to the power of capitalism and how creatively goods will flow to those who want them so long as the buyer can.
Speaker 2: Make it worth it for the seller. Man, So how are they getting in there?
Speaker 3: Is it the guards smuggled in and probably some guards, you know, I don't know at federal prisons. I know I've read those stories one hundred times that yeah, the guards think, all right, nobody cares. I'm not making a ton of money. This guy's a decent guy. He's in whatever, he defrauded and whatever. Yeah, I'm gonna get him a phone and get a five hundred dollars or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the rate is.
Speaker 3: But so several men, knowing I was new, offered to let me use their smartphone to FaceTime Sarah, his wife, and he desperately wanted to, but he decided I had a time on a handful of priorities for navigating his prison sentence, and one number one was get home, don't do anything that could prolong the sentence. I'm not going to fight anybody, even if I'm provoked. I'm not going to mess around with contraband, including phones. I'm going to do my time clean. I'm going to get home to my kids.
Speaker 2: I would be thinking that too, but it tortured.
Speaker 3: Him because everybody had phones, and he didn't want to be caught using him and get spent to solitary essentially, But it was clear from the first night that many men chose to have a contraband phone, accepting the risk in large part to keep in touch with their families and in the evenings when there are fewer guards around and their patrols were more predictable. The housing unit was filled with the sounds of men sharing the latest prison gossip with their wives and girlfriends, asking their children what they did at school that day, checking in on aging parents, and he talked about how much sympathy he had, especially the long termers, and he said, now it wasn't a wholesome. Men would scroll YouTube videos, take partaking online sports betting, convince women on the outside to date them, then send them money.
Speaker 1: There had to be some dps flown out, some who now Richard.
Speaker 3: Dolts, Oh my, I hope not Jack anyway. Then he talks to how the phone.
Speaker 1: R I certainly hope that's not happening among prisoners, good lord, pictures.
Speaker 3: Of their genitals, and then he talks about the phone room and how gross they were and how half of them didn't work. Most of the time, and I like this is a good writing, especially during high traffic times. After waiting in line, you'd pick up a phone still warm from the grip of the inmate who'd just been using it. The receiver's still smelling like his breath. You stand inches away from another man. Well, you both had conversations with loved ones which were often deeply personal. And then he talks about the constant recorded message runs every five minutes. This call is from a federal prison, etc.
Speaker 2: Etc. But he just he would not break the rules.
Speaker 1: Well, our addiction to phones is interesting and known to a certain extent. And then there's the only way you can get me on this story is if it's people who either are innocent of their crime or didn't do much.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, I don't give a crap if you miss your phone.
Speaker 1: If you're a criminal, you broke into my house or my car, or heard somebody screw you, live many years without your phone comeback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what prison and punishment has been for all of mankind. You are miserable and don't want to ever do that again. That's the point. But just again, the details of the story are the interesting part. Prison guards would spend hours every weekend literally tearing holes in the walls of the housing unit looking for spots where men might be storing their smartphones. Sometimes before the daily tallies that occurred to ensure all inmates were there and accounted for, the guards would jokingly call out, all right, it's count time, guys, go ahead and hide your cell phones. But then they'd like search like crazy for him on the weekends for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine how different it would be being in prison with a phone versus not having a phone completely, Well, just imagine your day to day or your kids day today.
Speaker 3: It's a lot different. Yeah, But then, and this is the predictable part. But I think it's absolutely worth hearing again. I know it is for me. He talked about going from a high intensity profession, full family, social life, volunteer commitments, and how different prison was. But he said I felt an indisputable change that could only be tied to the lack of a smartphone. Phone induced distractedness, flusteredness, agitation had been constance, but they went away. He became more alert to what was happening around me. He writes, I sensed my surroundings. I became better at noticing as winter gave way to spring, I tracked the almost hourly change in blossoming trees beyond the fences.
Speaker 1: I do not doubt this a bit. I'm going to get there someday. It's impractical for my current lifestyle with working kids, but there will be a day for me where I'm gonna put the phone away.
Speaker 3: I discussed in debated life's big questions and foundational topics with my cellmate, the complications of family dynamics, our greatest fears and regrets, our deepest longings for the future. I wrote poetry, something I'd never done before or since, and.
Speaker 1: Man, that should be That should be the challenge everybody does every year instead of that needs to be the new thing.
Speaker 2: Instead of uh.
Speaker 1: Dry January or New Year's resolutions for various things, everybody should yearly do Jesus a day, but a week or a month or something without our phones. That's what we should focus on as our addiction.
Speaker 3: What are we talking about cigarettes and fast food or whatever the hell you're going to give up drinking phones? That's the thing we all need to, at least once a year, remind ourselves what they're doing to us. All right, you ready for the final twist. Oh, this is going to be like the crying game. If you're too young, google it.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that was a twist. Is a fighting way? Sixth sense? Is it like that? Kind of a lot? Like that? I see dead cell phones?
Speaker 3: Okay, this guy, he's let loose by the Supreme Court and the pardon and everything. He goes home, he's all joyful, and as he resettled in the life he'd missed, he tried to avoid the agitating, distracting, intrusive pull of the phone. He kept the phone on do not disturb, putting in another room, and only checked it occasionally, left it behind when the family went out for a family walker meal. Well, within a few months, he writes, I'd reverted to my old habits, immediately glancing, engaging in every ping and alert, reflectively picking up my phone to scroll through my rotation of go to websites.
Speaker 2: It's an irony.
Speaker 3: I'm still grappling with the kind of freedom I learned in prison. I couldn't manage to bring home with me.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't doubt that. That's that's why I said, someday I'm gonna put it down. It would have to be it's for me. I know it would have to be all or nothing. I'd have to decide, Okay, I'm going flip phone that doesn't even have the abilities, and I'm done with this world, and I'll let my kids know that. This is how you're gonna have to get a hold of me. But the phone thing is over for me, and I'm gonna do that someday. Jack, I'll give you the final word? Is that what o'reiley used to say? Was that the final word?
Speaker 4: Er?
Speaker 2: The last word? Anyway?
Speaker 3: I know you know more about addiction than I do, but versually every addict has gotten away from their addiction and said, oh my god, I'm happier, this is better, sure, and then going back to the addiction.
Speaker 2: That's why it's an addiction, right, I can buy definitish picture myself this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Oh yeah, heck yeah, I know I would. Any thoughts on that text line four one five two nine five k FTC.
Speaker 4: Mike, I'm gonna say it right here. I know you're gonna say no because you're a coward. Five debates.
Speaker 5: If you're willing to stand with me and have a conversation, you and I both know that you will wither in front of your own crimes. But I'm gonna make sure Michiganders know about.
Speaker 4: Them, because at the time we're done, you are not going to have safe quarter from people holding you accountable to what you've done for them here in Michigan. We will send you back to Florida where you belong. Five debates. I'm hoping for an answer today. There's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: My got hey, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I know you have a lot to say, But did an nine to eleven apologist, fake doctor just calling a United States marine a coward?
Speaker 1: Yes, So that's what I was going to bring up. That's where we're starting. That was day one of this race. So l saied the Democratic nominee. As you all know, if you're paying attention to politics, UH called Mike Rogers a coward. Mike Rodgers is out in the last hour saying El Sayed is radical and dangerous for America. So starting day one in the campaign, you're a coward, coward, you're a radical, is dangerous for America. So this is this is actually going to be not just you know, cable news interesting, This is going to be quite the national conversation.
Speaker 2: I think I would agree. I would agree.
Speaker 3: And if you're looking for a you know, knockdown drag out, El Sayed is evil, but he is talented.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, he's no pushover. So it's gonna be quite the battle and people are gonna come. You know, is Barack Obama going to be on stage with El sayadd at some yes.
Speaker 2: You think so? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just read that his team is jumping on the Al Sayed campaign.
Speaker 1: Wow advising So Eli Lake was writing today and I thought this was a good point. Remember back in two thousand and eight, Barack Obama had to renounce his association with the Reverend Right to get the nomination for the Democratic Party and beat Hillary, he had to come out and say no, all that stuff the Reverend Wright said about Goddamn America and everything like that, those videos that came out, Barack Obama had to say, no, I'm not part of that. I never heard him say that. You know, we're no longer friends, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I wasn't in church that day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, but he had to at least distance himself and else I ad got closer to this Hassan piker dude saying the same sort of thing days before the election, so we're in a different spot.
Speaker 2: We absolutely are.
Speaker 3: It relates to what I was talking about earlier in the show that if I didn't have a tea time this afternoon, I would write a reply to what's his name Brooks who writes for the Free Press, because he's Arthur Brooks. He's claiming that, look, we've had political fads on and off through the years. This is just the socialism thing. And I bet he would say of Islamism too, it's just a fad. But the ground has been fertilized for this sort of thing by teaching kids over and over again. We should be ashamed of this country and our common principles. We should be ashamed of our history. This is not a great country. So yeah, the ability this sort of thing to go way further is well, it's scary. But just getting the Muslim vote ain't going to be enough to win in Michigan, so he's going to have to appeal to more people.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty, we're completely propped up that we're probably going down on im Roger. It's at your discrection faces possible spot. We'll get the vehicles out free.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: We are not making the airport.
Speaker 3: We're going down on my ken.
Speaker 7: If I wouldn't have seen that shadow over my truck. As you said the video, it was a close call from the truck and what I signed. But he landed. He's a good pilot, he's a good instructor. It was a miracle that he landed that thing with no problem.
Speaker 1: Is that the latest plane landing someplace it's not supposed to story that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems to happen every day. Young pilot landed his plane on the highway in Florida. Gather, Okay, good lord, okay.
Speaker 1: I would like an evening news feed that doesn't have weather or planes landing places they weren't supposed to land, and then just get to the actual.
Speaker 3: News of the day that affects me. Sorry, I like weather. I like it, good, good rate, fifteen minutes weather.
Speaker 1: Every night before you get to the news. Yeah, you know what, two thousands away from me. It's my guilty pleasure. People talk about that for music and that sort of thing. That's my guilty news pleasure. Is I like a good extreme weather clip, You know my guilty pleasure. That makes no sense here, I am mocking people who watch national weather.
Speaker 2: That's not even affecting them.
Speaker 1: Right, scrolling through photos of what celebrities were toward shows. O, good lord, I know, I know, and I've done it before. I've done it so many times. I think, why am I doing this? I don't care it. I don't know who these people are. I don't do the extent that I know that I hate them. Yeah, the ones I know. I hate the rest of them. I don't know at all, And I don't care. I couldn't give a crap what designer they're wearing.
Speaker 2: Oh and I scrolled through the photo. Ryan h that's a crazy dress. Yeah, it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, anyway, so you probably know this, but the statistics are interesting. The US economy keeps putting more eggs in the AI basket. You got tech companies spending hundreds of billions of dollars to meet their computing needs for the AI systems. They're issuing billions of dollars of debt billions to make those purchases.
Speaker 2: Corporate bonds.
Speaker 3: Rapid data center build out is powering construction spending and hiring and municipal revenues and taxes. Meanwhile, the stock market rally has been fueled by the rise in shares of the chip makers and other companies that benefit from all of the above, which, now, if you're in the market, everybody looks at their accounts and says, wow, I'm more wealthy than I thought. I'm going to spend some money. So that's been supporting consumers. Now you ask ten economists for their opinion, you'll get ten different opinions. But they quote this one dude who says, combined those factors are probably about one third of our recent economic growth. One third of it is AI fueled.
Speaker 1: I mentioned earlier, So what day was it doesn't matter? Tuesday, Like every index set of record Tuesday, and it was like the twenty fourth record set this year for the Dow, twenty fifth record for the S and P. I mean just it's it's really wild, and so much of it is driven by this AI stuff, and so much of that is a guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's it's maybe a speculation might not be the right word when we're talking about the stock market, but it's hope and optimism.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 3: A third, yikes, speaking of computers in AI and that sort of thing, have you even heard of?
Speaker 2: What not? The live showopping app. No neither. And I here's a forty five year old.
Speaker 3: Accountant who was so addicted to it he spent his entire life savings. And he's a married man with children. I believe well, i'd soon to be formerly married man spent his entire personal savings, personal loans, money borrowed from a friend, and finally from his employer's company credit card, one point four million dollars on this live shopping auction app. It's oh, you know what i'd ask I'd intend to ask for this audio. Hang on a second. I'm gonna put my microphone right by my computer.
Speaker 2: I think this will be loud enough. See if this works?
Speaker 3: Michael, Uh, where is it?
Speaker 2: Sorry? Okay, sorry you honest say h.
Speaker 5: Louder?
Speaker 2: Uh this is how it sounds. Yeah, here he goes. Only two available, very rare. We'll not have it again. Threat do one go? Volume was a thirty year Yeah, I mean dad, here we go.
Speaker 3: So you got these like hypemen young hosts selling rare Pokemon cards or it could be anything, absolutely anything, and you bid in real time like it's a real auction though, but in dollar increments, the company is going to surpass a billion dollars in revenue this year, and evidently it's the latest thing that people are getting addicted to and spending all their life savings because of the excitement of it.
Speaker 2: And it's called I've got what not? I might check that out.
Speaker 3: You're gonna go broke, trading cards, squishy toys, designer fashions, instant Rahman.
Speaker 1: So is the appeal? Is the appeal that I'm going to get a really good deal?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's it. I'll read the account. The design supercharges traditional shopping sites such as eBay and Amazon with high pressure or countdown auctions, often run by hosts who urge buyers to bit higher and faster. The most feverish shows are built around breaks, they call them, where a person buys an opportunity to win an unknown, potentially valuable collectible, all the while emotionally charged chat feeds can amp up the competition.
Speaker 2: Wow, I think if you lose all.
Speaker 3: Your money to this, you're gonna lose all your money to something, right. You have that addictive to excitement tendency.
Speaker 2: Huh. I don't quite understand the appeal, but I haven't done it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess it's because it's in the moment, it's exciting. You see a countdown clock. There's just twenty seconds left. I can get this for a bargain if I just do another dollar, another dollar.
Speaker 2: Another time.
Speaker 1: I've done it on a minor level with eBay before, where I'm like, get excited and somebody else is bidding and I'm bidding and the time's coming up, and then at the end when I get in, like what do that for?
Speaker 2: I don't want to pay that much for that. It just got caught up into something or other that whole there's five seconds left. Hell, it's just another twenty hours. Yeah, right, and you had it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Evidently people have no defense. Some people have no defense about that against that rather and they just they ruined themselves.
Speaker 2: Wish I'd a thought of what not?
Speaker 3: Dude, you ruined your marriage, you spent all your money, you stole from your company, you stole from your friends. I'm just astounded by this. All right, One more AI story for you. Doctors are starting to get annoyed because all their patients are reading their test results with AI and diagnosing themselves. Sometimes even when the doctor's in the room saying, yeah, maybe I'm gonna go ask AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One doctor says, why are you here? I'm sure that does happen a lot. Yeah, yeah, I've done it myself. See ah, you know, I'm about to get my standard old guy blood work done in a week or two. And you know, if if something's out of range and I don't know what bill urubin is, for instance.
Speaker 2: Or whatever, I've got too much of it or not enough of it, Oh my god, either way, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've gone to AI and said, all right, what is this? Is it significant to be at a point six instead of a point five?
Speaker 1: And you know what you can do? I just learned this from somebody else. I need to do more screen capturing. Instead of typing stuff in, you just screen capture it. You don't even need to ask a question. You just screen capture your blood work, put it in the chat GPT thing, and it comes back with all the information. It assumes you're wondering about it, and it just tells you that looks good, that's too high, that's too low.
Speaker 2: That one's fine, that's normal, and.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's crazy. I didtually speaking to eBay. I had a thing I was kind of interested in. I just screen captured the eBay thing. The auction picture of it price. But I just posted that and it said, yeah, I'm scanning the internet. That doesn't look like a very good price to me. I think there's lots of places you can find.
Speaker 2: It's just what this amazing? Wow.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's like a super fast personal assistant.
Speaker 2: Jones tell me if this is a good price, Yes, right away, Sarah, Yeah, I found it.
Speaker 1: I found it new cheaper at this store in Minnesota or something.
Speaker 2: It's just it's stunning what AI can do.
Speaker 3: My wife and I take a lot of walks in nature, and so we've had these apps that you can take a picture of a bug or a plant or whatever and say what is this? Now? Just do it with the chatbots. They immediately give me great answers. So sorry, app makers.
Speaker 1: I did it with a little skin weirdness on one of my kids, like is this ringworm?
Speaker 3: Or what that is? Took a picture, nailed it immediately. I did that too, before I went to see my dermatologist. Yeah, and it's the right. It was gone rhea. It was goneria again and it's it's the doctor Google thing on steroid, says one internist in Flora. You can get everything from you have a COLDI you're dying of cancer, but haven't.
Speaker 2: You had the experience? Were the doctors doing that though?
Speaker 1: They basically are taking the symptoms in and then seeing what the AI tells them.
Speaker 2: So what am I doing here? What are you doing here? What are we all doing here? Yeah? No kidding, And I won't take it anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah they have diagnostic software, Yes, absolutely, and they should. Mike, I drank a little bit too much last night or you know that was the day missed medical school or whatever.
Speaker 2: They go ahead, look it up. I got a minute, look it up. I have.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited about this doctor's appointment I have tomorrow. This is a usually you're not excited about doctors appointments. I'm finally going to an E and T specialist over the fact that I can't taste sweet ever since I got COVID, well, one of the COVID's. I got COVID four times, but one of the times I got COVID, I lost my ability to taste various things. And I'm gonna get the full run through tomorrow, and I can't wait to see what I can and can't taste, or what's my imagination.
Speaker 2: Or there's anything to do to fix it.
Speaker 1: The doctor did tell me, he said, I got to tell you, I've not seen hardly any result of people fixing this problem. Oh, if that's your goal, And I said, I don't need to fix it, I just would kind of.
Speaker 2: Like to know if it's my imagination or what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got a similar thing in that sweet dies in my mouth because I'm so bitter.
Speaker 2: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: It's sweet and not being able to taste sweet and makes you eat more sweets. I have learned that, which is so damned weird, and I just wonder. I wish there was some way around that that I would like to tackle. I eat more donuts and crap like that since I lost the ability to taste sweet than I ever did in my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's counterintuitive at first, until you think, all right, obviously, deep in your caveman brain, there's a need to take in a certain amount of fruit.
Speaker 1: Probably, But then my yeah, probably, But I don't get the prehistoric snicker bars are you know, rarely seen? Well, you know, the I've eaten too much sweeter. That's too sweet for me. I can't have that happen anymore. H But then my son says, so, what do you like about it? What are you doing it?
Speaker 2: Why are you eating it? If?
Speaker 1: I don't know? So that's one thing I'm trying to figure out. Well, right, I think that kind of proves my case. You're not enjoying it. It's some deep urge that you have to pursue. It's weird, though. I can take a bite of pie and no sweet to what sure? Or I'll get bitter, I'll get sour, I'll get no sweet.
Speaker 3: Wow, And you, who love pie more than anyone, right, still carry a fork.
Speaker 2: I have a fork in my car. Yes, Why wouldn't you have a fork in your car in case you're hunger? Wow? How about a plate not a dishwasher.
Speaker 3: I don't know that'd be funny if you had a dishwasher in your car.
Speaker 1: Just came across something interesting. But we're shooting for about that nut job up in I shouldn't call him a nut job. He's not a nutjob. He's an evil anti semit I head up in Michigan, among other things. On the way We'll finish strong stay.
Speaker 2: Here, CNN.
Speaker 3: Compared to l c Ie to Hillary Clinton in reality, he's more like Bill since they both dream about being with seventy two virgins.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty good joke.
Speaker 1: Poor Bill still taking it on the chin from.
Speaker 3: A lifetime of flandering, a lifetime of cheating on his wife.
Speaker 1: Right, I had something I was going to talk about about. I've lost all interest in it. I was walking with my son last night. He's starting high school. Actually for him it's a pretty big deal. He's never been in regular school really ever and he's going to be in regular school for the first time in his life, starting high school here in a couple of weeks, so it's kind of a big deal. But trying to convince both of my kids to try harder having much success, and maybe it's the instrument that is being used me since I am a lifetime shooting for a be guy, do enough to get by guy. Much of my life, in most things, pretty much everything in life except for radio, I've done that, uh, just enough to get by. And you know, there's advantages and disadvantages, I guess, but the wondering what you could accomplish if you applied yourself is you know, it's a something to carry around later in life.
Speaker 3: Boy, that's absolutely true and difficult to use as a lever right, I mean you might, Like I'm always saying, I think maybe there's like a twenty percent leeway. You can get twenty percent better at something, or more of this or less that if you really try. But a lot of it's genetics. My three kids, if you had selected them at random from the entire continental United States, Nay, let's add the two fake states Alaska, Hawaii, if you had selected them at random from the fifty states, they could not be more different in terms of a self motivation and the ability or abilitatease.
Speaker 2: They all have abilities. But uh right, yeah, you might so different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's some of My youngest was meeting with a counselor sort of interview person at the high school yesterday, and for some reason this is dumb in retrospect. I had to need to go back and talk to the guy and say, because he already knows the older one, he already knows one of my kids. Now he's just been introduced to the other kid. And I said, they're very different. I'm like, guy's got kids, he knows. I said, they both have strengths and weaknesses. I wish the other had blah blah blah. Wish they could trade some of these, but you know, such as life, but it is, it is wild.
Speaker 2: And then the motivation thing is its own. It's its own thing.
Speaker 1: And one of the things about motivation is it comes and goes. Like the the intelligence you're born with, your artistic ability you're born with.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty static thing.
Speaker 1: You can you're giving this much talent and then you can work to improve or whatever.
Speaker 2: But motivation comes and goes.
Speaker 1: For me, I've been more or less motivated at various times in my life over things, so it's not is constant.
Speaker 2: So that's so.
Speaker 1: There's environment a lot of environmental stuff with motivation, but there's obviously the motor to it. I've got a relative I'm not gonna mention because it's not supposed to be public knowledge who just got a very very major achievement in their life. It just was motivated coming out of the womb. Just that's the way they're built. Like, So, did your uncle.
Speaker 3: Bill win Rodeo Clown of the Year again? Yeah, I got one kid. I could not have made into a hard charger with a cat prod. And I got one kid I could not have stopped from being a hard charger with a cattle prod.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, that's interesting.
Speaker 6: Final thoughts we fund Strong Jetty. You'll get the facts. They're sharp insteady don't you Forgetty? For more from Long Strong and Jedgy.
Speaker 2: That's really good. Here's your host for final thoughts, Joe Getty.
Speaker 3: Let's get a final thought from everybody on the crew to wrap things up for the day. There he is in the control room, Mike lins Low President, but is Mike out. My career advice is just find out something that you're interested and that you enjoy.
Speaker 1: You gotta spend eight hours a day doing it, so uh make it, make it fun.
Speaker 2: There you go if you can, uh jack a final thought for us? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know Mike Rowe, he hates that hole. Do what you love the money will follow, he says. Nah, there's lots of stuff you love, ain't you gotta make no money. You gotta figure something that'll make you some money. So it is nice if you can find something you like and apply yourself to it, enjoy it. But Mike Row's big thing is, yeah, do the stuff you like in your spare time. Figure out a way to make a living. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My final thought as you figured out.
Speaker 3: Uh. Also that musical introduction I love. That's a world class falsetto. Among my favorite falsetto singers certainly the Begs from Back in the Day Mick Jagger has perhaps the greatest falsetto in the history of rock music. I recommend you pursue the to two You album and the song Worried About You. Worried About You might be my favorite all time Rolling Stone song.
Speaker 2: Oh so good.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty wrapping up another grueling four hour workday.
Speaker 3: So many people, thanks so a little time. Good Armstrong and Geddy dot com for the hot links. Pick up some ang swag, drop us a note, share your opinion mail bag at Armstrong and Geddy dot com.
Speaker 2: Keep them reasonably brief. We will see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: God bless America.
Speaker 2: I'm Strong and Getty.
Speaker 3: I was taking a walk the other night and I said to my buddy, look, it's uranus, which Wow confused him briefly. Michael, it was just it was hanging there.
Speaker 2: You had to do it. I had to pick it.
Speaker 3: Uranus was hanging there like a ripe thump. That is unfortunate. No, see, that's no no, you know what. I opened the door.
Speaker 6: Strong, Getty so armstrong
Speaker 2: And armstrong and Getty