Speaker 1: You know what's a unique Mother's Day conundrum that? Uh, well, you guys do have to deal with that. I take it back. I was gonna say you don't have to deal with because you're not mothers, but you are. You are, Yeah, you have mothers and you are married to women who are mothers.
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 3: Do I did I have to get stuff for Sue every month? I don't get stuff for Sue on Mother's Day? Am I supposed to do?
Speaker 4: Say Happy Mother's Day?
Speaker 5: Probably not?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Did you not say Happy Mother's Day? Today?
Speaker 4: Say happy?
Speaker 1: What about you celebrate the holiday my mom?
Speaker 3: I say to my mom? I say to my mom. But it's like, because you know, our kids, our kid, but she's thirty five.
Speaker 1: I don't matter. She's still a mother.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 5: I never think about it. I guess you guys don't do anything.
Speaker 1: So like, let's say, does Susan spend every Mother's Day with LEXI?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, And so let's say they're not spending it together. Huh, what do you do for your wife Susan for Mother's Day?
Speaker 5: I let her cook me my favorite meal.
Speaker 1: Will this is not a bit?
Speaker 4: That is a bit? No? I literally never thought about it this.
Speaker 3: I've never thought about it where it's like it's mother It's oh no, I know Lexi's thirty five. It's like do you but you know, I wish my mom a happy Mother's Day, send flowers or do something. I worship it. I worship my wife every other day. I don't worship her any differently on Mother's Day.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh no, your mom's over thirty five, isn't she.
Speaker 5: No, just about she's gonna be thirty five this year. We're very excited. It's been the same birthday for seventy years, but thirty five.
Speaker 7: No, yeah, no, I mean it's it's definitely like Mother's Day changed, meaning, you know, because it just a time for me to call my mom.
Speaker 4: And then it was like, oh, time for me.
Speaker 7: To call my mom. But also acknowledge my wife. Yes, and like we do something. I usually get a card or we do something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 7: That makes more sense.
Speaker 5: You've got a little kid, you live together with the kids. I mean that, you know. It's like the time I met Lexi, she was already twenty one, right.
Speaker 7: But it's about her identity as a mother. It's not about my relationship to her being a mother. It's just about celebrating motherhood. And you know, yeah she did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I h My mom has always loved Mother's Day, like just loves it. And every year from the time I was little, Mother's Day was about she didn't want to do anything. She didn't want to she didn't want to have to. We've never been a family that's liked reservations and crowded restaurants, so it was always breakfast at home. But she didn't want to have to make any of it. So it was like, this is the day where we get to wait on mom, we get to make mom's breakfast, we get to make mom coffee, any little thing that needs to be done. No, Mom, you sit, you relax, let us take care of it. And my dad, you know, we'd always we'd have gifts for her. My dad would buy her gifts. We as kids would get her things, or we'd make her something. And I remember thinking like, yeah, that's fun. It was fun for me as a kid to celebrate my parents on their day. And then I became a mother and it was like, oh, yeah, I get the real emotional weight of this one day. You know, parenting is ninety nine percent of the time, so incredibly thankless, and yet it's made up of all the little moments that most people would never think of. You know, you don't get to pick and choose the core memories your kids have, and so you never know when you're making one. It could be like a small thing. And now, as a grown woman who lives not super close to my mother, like, I still want to celebrate my mom on Mother's Day, but also how do I do that while also refue using to lift a finger?
Speaker 5: Exactly?
Speaker 1: You take a mantle now, now, yeah, OK, so it's very hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's it's hard.
Speaker 1: My mom has tried to be very like all come to you, don't worry about it, but it's still that's hard for me. I still have that feeling of like, but sure you've had and she says that, she says, I've had forty years of Mother's days. Let's let it be about you or you.
Speaker 4: Could do that. I mean.
Speaker 7: The other thing that's ironically happens between me and Alex is like our gifts to each other are like getting a break from the kid or getting a break away from each other. So like, you know, there's a year I me and a bunch of dads sent our wives off to a Mother's Day brunch, so we all watched the kids. So they got a break, you know, but it was like we also didn't get to enjoy that. And then like Alex has been like, you can go to as many movies as you want today, I'll take Indy and that would be Father's Day.
Speaker 4: You know, there's been like but it's yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Iron like you don't like Mother's Day. The woman who invented Mother's Day, it's a true story. Anna Jarvis, the founder of Mother's Day, came to regret and even actively oppose the holiday she created. She was distressed by its commercialization, which she felt strayed from its original, more personal intent, and actively campaign to have the thing she invented or rased Wown't that crazy?
Speaker 1: Pretty nuts?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna have to celebrate too. I'm gonna I owe a retroactively or mother.
Speaker 1: You oweer a whole bunch of just nice, nice little things.
Speaker 5: But I give her nice little things all the time. I enjoy giving her nice things. I like worshiping her on a rent just like a regular Wednesday.
Speaker 3: I like to be like, hey, babe, this is for you because you're awesome, like as opposed to this is the day I'm supposed to do.
Speaker 1: This, right, But same thing with Valentine's Day, Like Valentine's Day isn't the day you tell your wife you love her, you tell me, never.
Speaker 5: Celebrate at the time, you never celebrate Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: With birthday, right, it's like, yeah, like that's a personalized that's just you and the power of the eleven.
Speaker 5: That's what That's what the birthday is. It's the only birthday. Is that count, Let's be honest. So yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Ask for from gen every year, I get a hotel room alone for Mother's Day or for a time on Mother's Day. No for that for Mother's Day. What my gift is, I don't take it on Mother's Day. I I as much as I'd like the day alone, I feel like it's my my duty, mysage duty. It's my duty to spend it with my kids. But my gift that I get is a night away at a hotel and I then pick another day, maybe sometime in June or July, and I go and I go to the spa, and I sit in my robe and I order room service and I scroll my phone mindlessly and I don't have a monitor, and nobody says mom, and it's awright, awome pretty awesome?
Speaker 5: Does every day is my Mother's Day?
Speaker 3: Baby, every day is my Mother's Day.
Speaker 1: I also want to acknowledge that this holiday is hard for a lot of people. It's hard in our family as well, you know, as I'll start crying if I talk about it too much. But everyone knows for the most part that my mother in law passed a couple of years ago, and so yeah, it's hard. It's hard for a lot of people. And you start getting the emails about the holidays, mothers and Father's Day, and you know there are people who want to be mothers and are trying to become mothers and that's not always an easy path. So also acknowledging that it's a difficult holiday for many, but sending love to all of you, whether you want to be a mother, you are a mother, you are not a mother, or your will who just is an eleventh brother?
Speaker 4: It's like what a mother? Mother?
Speaker 5: Who's a mother?
Speaker 1: Who's a mother? That works on so many levels, levels, so many levels. Welcome to vad meets World. I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm right or strong.
Speaker 5: I'm well for Dell.
Speaker 4: That's so funny.
Speaker 1: It would be difficult to describe the landscape of eighties family television without the name Punky Brewster. What was only a four season show, two on NBC and two in syndication propelled its star and her mismatched shoes into a pop culture stratosphere that would be hard to describe. In twenty twenty five, the Los Angeles native achieved a level of success that put her on a journey that could only be rivaled by Forrest Gump, placing her front and center, always with a camcorder in some of the coolest pop culture moments of the nineties. She not only possessed talent, she was surrounded by it, as seen in her film Kid ninety, a documentary made up of her unbelievable home movies and now modern day footage hoping to learn more about herself in the process, and her newest documentary, The Carter's Hurts to Love You, tells the story of a Hollywood family ravaged by fame, addiction, and mental illness. Her unique voice and her one of a kind experience in the business have made her one of the most interest and illuminating voices in documentary filmmaking, and now she's talking to us. So please welcome to pod meets World, an icon of the small screen. It's Sleigh Moonfry. Oh, it's so good to see you. I have to admit I feel very left out. I had major fomo not being at nineties con with you. I know you, I know I missed you.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: I know you spent a wonderful weekend together.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic.
Speaker 5: And he didn't want to tell Danielle she actually wasn't invited.
Speaker 1: I know, any other stories you want to tell me to make me jealous before we go anything.
Speaker 2: It just it was just a good time.
Speaker 1: Do you do a lot of conventions.
Speaker 6: I only have done a few, but they've been so much fun that I'm like, I want to go. I know it's it's been so beautiful and people are so kind and wonderful, and I just love like spending time with people and getting to know them, and it's totally emotional and beautiful and hiring and nostalgic and kind of like a reunion is the.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't get well, so they wouldn't get to meet a whole lot of people at the convention because she's she's a hugger. I am, and I mean even more than Ryder Strong is a hugger. She has to hug everybody. So you'd be there all day and meet six people.
Speaker 5: Is the problem.
Speaker 6: I love people so much, and they were so sweet, and I just I love hearing their stories and compensations.
Speaker 7: When we were doing photo ops together, so we did a photo op. It was like the TGIF photo op, and it was a row of us, Juliel and so let who else we were all.
Speaker 4: Matt was there.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of us, and there's a lot of people that were in a line. So we were like, we just have to move quickly and say hi. So like, let's not hug We're just going to like say hi, just completely out the window of the second the first person went and so I was just.
Speaker 1: Like your day.
Speaker 7: They're like crying and holding each other and talking and she's like, where do you want to stand?
Speaker 4: I was like, Oh, this is going to take forever. I feel like one of the most empathetic people I've ever seen in my life. Like you just pour it out.
Speaker 7: You're just like, oh, and when the love comes to you, you just give it right back.
Speaker 6: It's an amazing It was really really touching and I just, oh my gosh, I love it. I love hearing the stories, and yeah, I think it's a really healing experience too. I think people are there's just a really it's it's beautiful, it's describable.
Speaker 7: Did you always feel great when people recognized you or was there a time where.
Speaker 4: It was like not a great experience where.
Speaker 6: You were I'm literally like, I love Punky so much. She is like my superhero part of like me, and I feel like they're Punky and everyone and Cherry and everyone. So for me, I like love when people connect to it and and oh my goodness, there was kids that showed up dressed up like Punky like that.
Speaker 2: My heart was so warmed.
Speaker 6: And I think that, honestly, that that Punky's got me through some of the best times of my life and the hardest times of my life. Like she just really, like feel so connected to her. So I'm really touched when when when she touches other people, I get very excited about it.
Speaker 1: I think about this all the time, and I wonder if it's something that strikes you too. I have a son who is about to turn six. You were seven years old when you were cast as Punky Brewster, and an entire network show is now on your shoulders. My son cannot remember the jacket he brought to school that day at all.
Speaker 5: Like that.
Speaker 1: Just every day I'm like, where's your water bottle, where's your jacket? There's always something lost? Yeah, you have you can't go out like that? Does it blow your mind now when you think back to what you were capable of doing. It's seven years old.
Speaker 2: It's wild, I think.
Speaker 6: You know, it's it's it's interesting, like I think that the show had and I mean yours as well, Right, there's so many layers and heart and emotion and at a time in television when you know, we spoke about us, you guys right where it's like there's comedy, but you're also in tears and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's this connective tissue.
Speaker 6: And so I do realize like that that depth that was there is really inspiring to me, just because I think also I didn't know where Punky ended and I began, So there was this very you know, there was just this this incredible spirit that I'm pretty in awe of, you know, and just like okay, wow, like if I ever feel like I'm going through it, I'm like, okay, I gotta like bring in that punky power like survival instincts, you know. So yeah, so it's wild. It is pretty amazing to see.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I know that we when we go back and we watch our show, we're I was seventeen essentially when we started, and there's still gaps in our memory where we were like, wait, I don't remember this.
Speaker 5: I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: What is it like when you watch yourself at seven? I mean, do you do you remember any of it? Or is it all just you might.
Speaker 5: As well just be watching a different television show.
Speaker 6: Feelings that will come back, like it's so wild, you know, I'll have these feelings where it's like I remember being in that you know, the bed that like you know, like the wind the wheelbarrow, like it was like a wheel and it was so fun and wild and interesting and yeah, just there's so many memories of the treehouse and it was really fun going back and doing the continuation because that was great to then again like be able to celebrate and have this amazing moment in time all reconnecting.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing we don't have in common is that Punky Brewster was a worldwide phenomenon. You had a cartoon, toys, paper dolls, puzzles, you had your own toothbrush. How did you stay grounded through all of that?
Speaker 6: Okay, first of all, it's so wild. So the shoes were like unblo believable.
Speaker 2: The doll was so cool. I love a Punky doll.
Speaker 6: And now it's so wild because at the conventions people bring these items I've never seen before, so all of a sudden it'll be like a therminist or a lunch tailer, you know. But the thing is I didn't get a piece of any of that, do you know, No, like you know, young Girl and a TV show at the time. So my point is not so much that I didn't get, but I didn't see all of these things.
Speaker 1: Because they weren't clearing it with you.
Speaker 6: They needed to, I don't know, or I didn't have in my contract, I guess. But like, well, somebody did really well from them. Uh yeah, a lot of people did. But what was interesting, what was so beautiful is like actually through these conventions has been to like I'll start getting emotional so much of the time because I'm like, oh my gosh, there was a bandana, there was you know, there is a comic book. You know, like all the things that I'm seeing for the very first time at the age that I am now, And it's just a really special, beautiful experience because I suppose, you know, I always had a really grounded family and always went to summer camp and my friends today or some of my best friends from when I was little, growing up from two years old eight years old, so I was always really grounded, and I and and so it's really beautiful that, you know, as we grow up and we have our insecurities and our roller coasters of emotions and all these things, to like at this moment in time when I can appreciate it so much and be in such gratitude as I've always been, but like on a whole other level where you're like, wow, like this feels like, you know, beautiful to be able to have this full circle experience and to be able to share it, it's really fun and I'd like end up wanting to spend hours decorating and you know, and like making it even more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a really nice victory lap that you didn't get to have at the time. That you get to have now. It's really great. And similarly to Boy Meets World, Punky Brewster did more than just the regular fair for kids, you guys touched on drug abuse, the Challenger Crash CPR training does it. It means so much to us when we are at cons and people come up and tell us about those storylines and how you know the storylines that we did that touched on alcohol abuse or whatever and what they meant to them and their families. Is that the same for you? Do people come up and it just tell you what an impact it made.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 6: I mean the amount of incredible stories from people that had grown up in foster care to you know, unconventional families, to these really beautiful stories. And then of course there's you know, I mean for me, I wanted to be an astronaut, so that was you know for me when the Challenger having just yeah, acted me so deeply, and and so there's all of these different elements.
Speaker 2: The refrigerator I think for everyone.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, that you know that that I think is like in people's memories and way, and so I just that that's such an amazing feeling to feel like there's this touch point that we all get it connect to and I think that was one of the most special parts of when we all were.
Speaker 2: Doing our shows.
Speaker 6: Right, It's just like that's like, it's just a really nostalgic time.
Speaker 1: Do your kids know how cool you are?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Do your kids? Do your kids get it?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I think some moments they think I'm cooler than others. You know, they you know, it's awesome.
Speaker 6: They have been through it and they're amazing, and ultimately they've thought Punky was pretty cool. And now on the documentaries, they're really supportive around that. Like they come in and they edit with me, and they come up with music and they film with me, and it's like, it's so beautiful that they support me so much, because I really don't know what I would do without them being such a support system.
Speaker 1: How old are they?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 6: I have an eight year old, okay, eleven year old, seventeen year old and a nineteen year old.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, four kids. Crazy, so incredible. Well, you made Kid ninety a beautiful documentary with the endless footage you took on your one of a kind journey through the decade of the nineties, which included touring with House of Pain, hanging out on the set of Kids and dating teenage heart throbs. Do you think the House of Pain documentary could ever be finished?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 6: I mean seriously, you know that is a fantastic question. I would love to see that documentary finish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotta get everybody on the same on the same game.
Speaker 1: There so much footage.
Speaker 2: So much footage, like endless footage. I have a plethorastalla footage.
Speaker 1: If you had to guess, how many times do you think you went to eddabeviks, Oh my god, it was the place.
Speaker 6: But I definitely went to Jerry's Deli at least oh yeah.
Speaker 5: So which one, the one, the one with the bowling alley, the one, yeah.
Speaker 6: Studio City and for Mosa Cafe at least of that. I mean literally, there were definitely like those places in the city that we lived at.
Speaker 2: Cafe Fifties I was really into.
Speaker 1: Also, oh yeah, oh I remember Cafe fifties.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's not wild, so funny, so many, so many great but it's still all my favorite places. Just a bunch of a lot of diners.
Speaker 5: And yeah, yeah, you still love that.
Speaker 3: That's that's Danielle daniel Come on, great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I might have gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not too long ago.
Speaker 5: Of course, who does it and it's a it's a brilliant place.
Speaker 3: But no, I think I told you on the panel that you know, I grew up a television junkie and Punky Brewster was one of the shows that was in the zeitgeist for me of what made me want to be an actor. I mean, I saw kids on the screen and you just.
Speaker 5: Go that that I need to do that, I have to do that, and your show is certainly one of those.
Speaker 3: Again, I think I also told you there was some there's still some trauma from the refrigerator episode, from the Challenger episode.
Speaker 5: There's a few.
Speaker 3: It's like the smoking episode for different Strokes, which had the opposite effect on me, and I was already smoking by ten, but I stay out.
Speaker 5: What you do? You stay away from refrigerators. It was like they would just get into your head. And this was one of these shows as a kid that was so unbelievably important to me.
Speaker 3: So I get a chance to say thank you for that, because without those shows, I don't think I'd be sitting here right now.
Speaker 2: So I love that.
Speaker 6: And I just heard a story yesterday from Cherry which I have to get to the bottom of to find out if, in truth, something around ice Cube's name may have had to do with the refrigerator.
Speaker 2: But we have to find out. I would have just been somebody getting me.
Speaker 1: Really excited and cherry.
Speaker 6: Now what if I'm like sharing it and then but I have to look this up because that would be like one of the coolest things in the entire universe if somehow like this that was true. I got like got inspired by a Punky Brewster episode that would be like, we can't we.
Speaker 5: Got to do.
Speaker 4: I don't remember this episode. I never saw it.
Speaker 5: Surprisingly, Punky Brewster is one of the.
Speaker 7: Few shows I do remember as a kid because I didn't I never had television, but I would go to my grandmother's house and watch it. And I must have somehow got her to tape them or something, because I watched a lot of Punky Brewster and was, like Will said, it was one of the first where I was like, oh my god, that is a kid like I wanted.
Speaker 4: To be you I was.
Speaker 6: And then and then writer and I ended up in the Summer Camp movie together.
Speaker 1: Oh we know, Summertime Switch. Oh yeah, yeah, you gotta talk about that. I'd love to know your memories about that summer in Atlanta? Okay, where were we Jackson Jacks Okay, I thought it was Atlanta the.
Speaker 2: First of all.
Speaker 6: I okay, first of all, I remember that. I think I had died blonde hair or something like that. But that wasn't all of my memories. I feel like I was really young on that by myself. I feel like I was maybe like seventeen years old.
Speaker 7: There's some yes, but you were older than the rest of us, Like that was yes.
Speaker 2: But you guys were like fourteen fifteen and we.
Speaker 4: Still had our parents.
Speaker 7: We still had our parents, and you were by yourself, and I remember you were like the cool older teenager hanging out there and we.
Speaker 4: All were at the hotel.
Speaker 7: I know you and I didn't get to work together that much, but I was so funny because when your documentary came out, my mom said to me, she was like, well, don't you remember so Lee always had a camera And I was like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: I didn't remember this.
Speaker 7: She was like, she had the best, awesomest video camera that we came you could get back then, and she was always filled.
Speaker 4: Me was like, I can't believe you remember that, and.
Speaker 6: By the way, I do think I did find video of that time, and I remember there was a really cool town that I went to one day.
Speaker 2: There's amazing church, and I have footage of it, and I was like, ooh, I did.
Speaker 6: I had my video camera with me, and then I would do oh my god, I would do risky. There was like you know those teeny tiny honeyweys where it's like, oh yeah, I remember this because I found a video of it as I was doing Kid ninety, where I was full blown, like doing like risky business in the honeywagon. Oh my gosh, I think like Jane's smoking.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, I was like, I don't know. I was like the wild counselor.
Speaker 3: Oh, by the way, According to Billboard, an ice Cube his brother would throw him in. So his brother was always getting girls, and he said his brother said to him, he's thirteen.
Speaker 5: That refrigerator down the street. I'm going to take you down there.
Speaker 3: I'm slamming you in the freezer, and when they pull you out, you're going to be an ice cube.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh my god.
Speaker 5: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Because like people knew that.
Speaker 1: Hi, thank you, Wow.
Speaker 2: I think you just made my entire year.
Speaker 6: Oh, I mean that feels like a punky reference.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, it kind of feels like a punky reference. It does, it absolutely does. That's perfect timing too.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna really have to find ice Cube Ether and be like, uh, this is this is your this is your recorded here on your podcast.
Speaker 2: It's so exciting. Literally I had this conversation, you know. But here's the beauty of it, right.
Speaker 6: I love that you guys are here together, right, And how funny and beautiful is it that I can say I was talking to Cherry yesterday, you know. I think that's something that's like so special about so many of our relationships is that these are real connections, real love, real French. It's real like dynamics, and you see that with you guys, you know, Cherry and I have that, and I think that's really really special, like yeah, really special. And and so as much as we grew up in this like very surreal world that we're in, like there's so much depth to it and our playground and at the same time, like there's a great deal of love there. And I just that like just hit me that. I was like, oh, I was just talking to her yesterday and you guys are like, it's just a.
Speaker 1: Really We've also talked about how even if we'd never worked together, anyone who was around and in that same circle, there is just a there's a real love and mutual respect and like there's a comforting feeling being together where there's a shorthand we don't have to try to feel sane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's weird, just it's like a safe space where other people become your safe space.
Speaker 6: It's strength totally, And I think it was such a small group of us, right, Like, yeah, and that's why sometimes when I talk about you know that there's friends that have gone on to have these amazing, beautiful lives and then some of my dearest friends who didn't make it. You know, it's and like not superficial friends, like really true relationship. So it is so layered, and I think that's such a universal, you know thing across the board, right totally.
Speaker 1: Well, both of your documentaries Kid ninety and now The Carter's Hurts to Love you deal with the price of adolescent fame. Do you think there's any part of you that has some survivor's guilt about it?
Speaker 2: That's such a great question.
Speaker 6: I think that when when I was making Kid ninety, I really really had. So I mean that it was such a peeling back of the onion because when I started it, I wasn't setting out to make a documentary that was so personal.
Speaker 2: I thought it was going to be about everyone but me. Then it became like really personal experience.
Speaker 6: And I felt like with that, I was like, I just I didn't see it, you know, And now I was reliving the tapes and the audio and I was like, oh my gosh, Like now that I can see it, you know, like it it was like a veil lifted, right, And so I went through that process and that was, you know, really very much a love letter that I got to share with with others who we all you know, could connect to it. And then I went through another experience on a documentary that I've been working on with someone that I love deeply, and then again I was like, if I could only see it, and then this time I was seeing it and at the same time, I didn't feel like I could see that person, right.
Speaker 2: So then there's that element, you know.
Speaker 6: And so I think there's always that kind of inner part of me that's felt like wanting to do whatever I can to you know some kind of you know that that's that inner spirit of just wanting to do whatever I can to help others, you know.
Speaker 2: And do more.
Speaker 6: And and through that journey, which was so emotional as well, I learned like I'm not able to necessarily, you know, save someone as much as I want to.
Speaker 2: What I can do is I.
Speaker 6: Can put that into art and into my family and into my loved ones and philanthropic work that I do, and I can continue to be empathetic and continue to help sharing stories and creating a say space for people to share their truth and their stories and be an instrument for something way bigger than me. And so that's what I've really set out to do, and really with this experience with the Carters is like, look, I can do my best to like provide a safe space, and I feel a moral responsibility in that. And so that's where it's where it's gone for me. Is that to look back and to feel guilt about not being able to, you know, save the people I loved that wouldn't you know, wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Help or serve you, Yeah, But to.
Speaker 6: Feel the grief and to really take that grief and turn it into art and into light and to love, because I was saying, you know, recently, it's like I have tried to.
Speaker 2: Work grief away, love grief away.
Speaker 6: You know, and it comes back to, you know, catches up with you. I was talking my dear friend Brian about this recently and sharn and you know, it's like it's just something that sticks with you. Rightly go through it and then it can still come and you know, sneak up on you. So my dream is to continue to create safe spaces for people to share their stories and for it to touch people. And that's how I best can you know, can heal and not feel that guilt, you.
Speaker 2: Know, And it has snuck up on me a few times, but.
Speaker 6: You know, again it has come with a great deal of There's been a lot of loss in life. There's been so much joy and so much love and so much you know, so much happiness, and there's also been a lot of loss.
Speaker 1: You've had so many different experiences and now have documented many different cases of the dark instances of the dark side of child stardom. Has there been any sort of tangible through line or something you can point to specifically that feels like a common denominator.
Speaker 2: It's such a great question.
Speaker 6: You know, I think that you know, for me, it's interesting because it's like this onion that continues to peel back.
Speaker 2: Because even through this.
Speaker 6: Process with the with the Carters, you know, watching the lengths that they went to, and you know, Aaron like just you know, just wanting to be loved and being such a people pleaser. And I was like, oh my goodness, like I can so understand that kind of wanting to feel loved. Even you can have a completely stable family, parents that love you, and still that desire to want to be loved. We all want to be loved, right, we all want to feel that that love. And and so I do think there's this there is this common thread, which is that you know that that we all want to be loved and we all want to do our best. And I think that, you know, I could see a lot of my friends in these journeys and and I think when you take those elements of wanting to be a people pleaser and you compile it with mental health and all of these different dynamics that that can become, you know, just bigger than life. And I look at so many of our amazing artists and icons that are no longer with us, and you you know, you question, like to what length, you know, what pushes somebody over the edge.
Speaker 1: You know, Well, one part of kid ninety that really resonated with me was the focus on your body as a child, and how strange it was that we allowed this kind of discourse. Do you think we've gotten any better with this as a society?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 6: You know, I had so many insecurities growing up, like going through you know, puberty in the public eye, and I think it just got so exasperated with you know, with social media and literally watching the what has gone on through you know, the fact that anyone can be behind a screen right now and in social media, and so I think it's just gotten amplified so much. And I don't think we've really begun to look at what this is doing to you know, I mean, haven't even begun to scratch the surface of how this is affected you know, teens and kids and being a mother and seeing it. You know, it's just it's heart wrenching because anyone can hide behind a screen and say anything they want to anyone, and and so often can be objectified. So I think for me, my one of my biggest goals is like that we actually have conversations around this, that we have these conversations, that we talk about it with our families and our loved ones, and not sweep but under the rugs, so that we actually know what's so that we can better be compassionate and understanding each other.
Speaker 7: It's really interesting the way you answered that question, because I think in my mind, you know, just listening to how Danielle phrased it, I was like thinking, right, it's it must it's gotten better to be a female celebrity or an adolescent female celebrity. But actually, what you're saying is that we've actually just turned it outward so that almost every your average girl is her own celebrity.
Speaker 4: In the public.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And that's like, oh my god, you're right, You're so right. It does seem like at least now, like I saw Millie Bobby Brown calling out like the way that she's been called out for her appearance in a way that is like male actors. So I feel like the conversation is out there at least like in a way that back in the day, like when you guys were going through it, you guys being sexualized at a young age was totally normal, which is crazy. And then yeah, and then conversations around your or your body is it's just fair game and a weird episodes about it and we had it was crazy that that has gotten better. But you're right that in general, this social media landscape has made it so that everybody, every teenager kind of is a famous person.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: I think you're so right. I think that it's so amazing that there are conversations and that me the fact that we're even talking about this right now shows me that there's growth, and that's incredible.
Speaker 2: Seeing the way.
Speaker 6: In which and watching it when working on the carters, like seeing the things that were said to this young man when he was in such a vulnerable awful, and that anyone can say anything male, female, and it's so easy to hide behind a screen to just say whatever you want and have no accountability, you know, and and to go back to the point of just wanting to feel loved. Right, So it's like and then whatever endorphins and everything, like, oh, people are liking, people are giving me positive attention, and what does that look like? Like what does that represent to female or male as they're developing.
Speaker 2: I just I think it's so layered, so layered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I have a question then, because we don't focus on it a lot, but we certainly talk about it a lot. And I think it's important because we're putting a spotlight on some of the negative sides of growing up in the entertainment industry, and.
Speaker 5: There are plenty. What was your favorite part about growing up as a child.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, so many favorite parties. Like it was so funny that my mom the other day's.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, are you okay?
Speaker 6: You know, like, because there is like so much emotion to like the painful parts. But I'm always like for everyone that had like this painful experience, there's so many friends that have had these incredibly beautiful lives. I have like the most amazing kids, and I'm so thankful, And I literally like the sound stage was like our playground, and we got to scooter around the lot and we got to jump around on our pogo sticks and play dress up. Like it was a dream come true in so many ways. So that's the thing is I think there's it's just the roller coaster of life. There's been so much good, Like, yeah, so much good. I have the most happy memories of you know, going on fun adventures.
Speaker 2: It was so awesome.
Speaker 6: When I would be working in a different state, my mom would ask if I could bring a friend with me, and like we would land wherever we were and we'd go to like the local carnival. I mean things like that that just like these totally special, rarefied, exquisite experiences, you know, And I mean I loved boxing. My dad was a golden glove boxer. I got to meet Mohammed Ali, like I Harry Coke on him, went to like a Bruce Springsteen concert with Michael Jackson Elizabeth Taylor, Like these are.
Speaker 4: The most.
Speaker 6: Amazing, colorful mo Like I just have had so much joy, like so much joy, so by again, like I think it's that polarity, right, Like there's so much to it.
Speaker 1: Well, everyone, you can watch The Carter's Hurts to Love You Now on Paramount Plus. My last question for you, Slay is what would you like people to come away after they watch the documentary? What do you want them to come away with at the end of it.
Speaker 2: I love that question.
Speaker 6: I really really hope it encourages us to have deeper conversations around mental illness and addiction and destigmatize these conversations because I think they're really important to have, and I don't think we have to feel shame around them.
Speaker 2: I don't think we have to live in guild.
Speaker 6: I think we have to be able to just be more open with each other and check on each other, and to know that we're not going through it alone. I don't know any family that's not touched in some way or another by these issues, So I think I think they're really universal, and I hope that it continues this conversation in a more universal way, and that as much as there's pain in this story, there's also so much heart and love and hope because you look at the generational patterns and how Angel is really working to break the generational cycle and through her strength, you know, you see this incredible light, and I hope it provides healing for she and Nick and their family and for others, and that people watch it and see a part of themselves, you know. I think that's been one of the most rewarding parts of hearing from people after they've seen it, and having them walk into.
Speaker 2: Like being like how am I going to relate to this family?
Speaker 6: And then like literally after watching it, going I had no idea like this reminded me so much of my own family, or this reminded me so much of someone I knew, and so that to me is so rewarding and special when somebody can connect to some part of their own lives through someone's journey.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for being with us. What's next for you? Where can people find you? How can people support you? Other than watching the documentaries?
Speaker 6: I know you and watch and then you Hulu watched Kid ninety and yeah, and there's lots more to come.
Speaker 5: And is Punky streaming anywhere can people watch?
Speaker 6: I think that is streaming on peacock. I would think, okay, okay, you can go across all these platforms, every platform with me and watch my kids doing all sorts of fun things, and you know, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is Jagger in the industry now?
Speaker 6: Jagger is a phenomenal filmmaker. Yeah, she's she's amazing, poet, is phenomenal off at college and dancing and adding social justice and anthropology and just mind blowing. And my eleven year old's brilliant, and the eight year old. It's just so special and amazing, and I just feel like the luckiest person in the entire world.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 3: I would I would like to have one guest come on and go, my nineteen year old amazing the eight year old, like you never hear that.
Speaker 1: They might turn into something incredibly, So thank you so much for being with us. We so appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 7: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Wow. It's so cool. She's doing such great things with you know, her voice and her platform, and yeah.
Speaker 5: She was what I mean, she's on that list for me.
Speaker 3: She's absolutely on that list for me of just watching her and going that I need to do that, I need to find a way to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it was also like because she had an unusual name and I had an unusual name. Oh yeah, she.
Speaker 4: Was like this kind of like hippie.
Speaker 7: I was like, oh, that's totally gonna be me someday.
Speaker 1: I just a hit.
Speaker 5: I wanted just a hippie kid, That's all I wanted. Though, I mean it was she was.
Speaker 3: She's responsible for I think a young like a whole generation of younger actors watching shows like that and Different Strokes where the lead was seven, eight, nine years old and it just made you go, god, man, I want to try that.
Speaker 5: So yeah, she's she's one of the OG's.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com. And we've got Merch Merchie.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to trying to do it like Punky, Punky.
Speaker 4: How are you who? Always?
Speaker 3: Oh, Punky Merchie, Punky, that's my best impression, Punky Hunger Punker.
Speaker 1: Pod Meets Worldshow dot com. We love you all, pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong Executive producers, Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Pod Meets World Show or email us at Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com.