Speaker 1: Hello everybody. I'm David Zier. You're watching Breaking Point on Real America's Voice News. I got a terrific show for you today. I got Don Newan with this incredible song Extortion seventeen. We have Deborah Demi running in the twenty third congressional district in Florida. I got Mike Brest, a Pentagon reporter. I'm at the Pentagon with him and covered Department of War events together. We went to Pete Hegseeth's NATO Brussel's Defense ministerial about a month and a half ago. We got a lot to talk about missile supplies, what's going on in Ukraine and other and then I have an energy update for you, what's going on nationwide along. It's a midterm information, but I want to get right to it. I want to bring in my good friend Donna Fidusha is just a legend in the news business, and her better half Don Newan cowboy logic. Welcome to the show, sir.
Speaker 2: It means the world to me to be sharing this screen with you. I have such respect and admiration for the work you do. The world's a better place because you're in it. David's her that's all I want to say. Wow, kudos to your mom.
Speaker 1: That means a lot, means a lot. I'm going to tell my mother she'll turn eighty four in January, still working. But don thank you so much. So. I was virtually at tears when I heard your new song, Extortion seventeen. Really incredible. We're going to play about a minute or two of the introduction in a moment, but can you tell me about the song? Why did you write it? And you've got an amazing voice, You're a very talented singer and songwriter.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't. Hey, let me. I gotta be straightforward. I do not sing. I do not sing. That is not me singing. I will never be singing on any my records ever.
Speaker 1: Okay, so who's singing it?
Speaker 2: I created that voice through Ai. That's an AI voice, and it fools you.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable. It's unbelievable. Tell us about the.
Speaker 2: Song, time, Well, the song is designed to do one thing, honor the fallen warriors that we lost in the single incident that had the greatest number of lives lost in the entire Afghanistan War, the greatest number of Navy seals lost at any one time, and sadly very few people know about it. And Thursday, this past Thursday, was the fifteenth anniversary of this tragic, terrible situation that if we have time, we'll get into. It's a total cover up by the Department of Defense. It's reprehensive.
Speaker 1: Let us talk about extortion. Was this because the rules of engagement changed under Obama?
Speaker 3: Were?
Speaker 1: What were the factors surrounding this incident? And tell our audience what happened?
Speaker 2: Okay, this mission? First of all, Extortion one seven is a call sign. It's not a mission. It's a call sign for that one Chinook helicopter that was taken down. The mission was allegedly that we were going to send these seals into the Tangi Valley in Afghanistan because as a q r F, a quick reaction force to assist rangers that were allegedly pinned down. The problem is rangers weren't pinned down. This mission should have never happened. And the thing is, if you move the clock back three months, Osama bin Laden was killed, and shortly thereafter, the Obama administration leaked to the New York Times and then the Washington Post that it was sealed Team six Biden then in his loose lip early dementia, mentioned Seal Team six in a public event that was taking place. And when that happened, Aaron Vaughan and all the other Seals that had families contacted their families. They said, guys, get off of social media, go dark. They've just put a target on her back. Now ninety days later, yeah, Extortion one to seven came out of the air.
Speaker 1: So the families were upset, right because one about the rules of engagement, but also the timing of the release of the announcement that was sealed Team six maybe putting the lives of Seal Team members in danger, Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that should have never taken place. You don't disclose special ops anything. And there's Dave, there is so much wrong with this. And I don't mean wrong by the actions of our lost warriors. I mean wrong way up the chain, all the way up to Mattis General Madis. This thing is a cover up. There. I could go on and on. Guys. There was a manifest that was changed that was never updated. They had four Afghani nationals come off of that airship before it took off. Nobody knows who the Afghani's were that got back on it. There was a black box that was never found, and the excuses from Gary Reid, this shill of a human being from the Department of Defense in a Jason Chaevitz hearing that lasted only ninety minutes, by the way, went from oh, the black box was lost when it entered into a flood driven you know, a river. Well, first of all, went in a river, it was a creek. Secondly, you know from doing reporting that you can find black boxes at the bottom of the damn ocean. So the fact that that couldn't be found is a joke and laughable and disgusting. Then he flips during the testimony and says it was an analog ship. There wasn't even a black box on it, to which the people that actually built the ship in Georgia to send it over there said, every one of them have black boxes on it. This is a total cover ups. It's disgraceful, including Dave, this is gonna flip you out. Man. On bigra Mare base, they had a ceremony, the first ceremony on Bigramaire Bose. They had an e mom that was presiding over part of this ceremony and this gentleman said a prayer, and I'm going to paraphrase this over our fallen boy that basically the Infidels would burn in a fire pit and that the Muslims were once again victorious, and that his prayer was translated. Billy and Karen Vaughan paid a lot of money and a lot of time to have that translated. It's sickening thing is.
Speaker 1: Our troops couldn't carry bibles with them in certain case.
Speaker 2: Well, and you mentioned rules of engagement. Two weeks ago, we had Captain Joni Marquez on She was in the C one thirty h gunship Eyes in the Sky. She watched this whole thing go down. She they called in support against what appeared to be three Taliban during four Taliban. It had cylindrical objects and as an RPG, and they were denied action.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that that is definitely true and just a spectacular in a bad way. I wanted to let you know, so I'm going to be at the anniversary for the UDT Museum in Fort Pace, Florida, Pierce, Florida this fall. I'll let you know. Because they highlight the sailors and special warfare, naval special warfare who were killed under that call signed.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: You know, it's very moving. What has the response been to the song.
Speaker 2: Real Good? I think a day or so ago we hit number seven on the iTunes Country download charts. And here's the thing, ladies and Dave, I don't know how much time. I don't have a clock in front of.
Speaker 1: Me, so you would have me off with closer bay.
Speaker 2: Donna and I decided that there's absolutely no way that we could live with ourselves if we made any money off the sale of this this single, So we decided very early in the game that we would donate one hundred percent of our royalties, not partial, partial, every penny we make and this distribution deal with Real America's music for this song is seventy years, Donna, Dave me, We're not even going to be around when this thing expires seventy years. Every penny that we make off of this song is going to Operation three hundred, which is a nonprofit organization that was founded in the honor of Aaron Vaughan, one of those Navy Seals. The mission of that organization is to provide mentorship and support to the families and the children of fallen military They have camps. They do all kinds of phenomenal things. Go to opop three hundred dot org to find out more about it. But ladies and gentlemen, you can make a difference by downloading this song. Streaming does really nothing monetarily. You downloaded it's a buck twenty nine. You want to make a difference and you want to be a part of remembering and supporting all of these fallen warriors. Download this song, just hit that QR code or go to iTunes search the name of the song extortion one to seven. You can make a difference, and we're giving it all back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know families gathered in Kansas City, I believe on the fifteenth anniversary, which was two days ago, right Thursday, August sixth, and I believe that was in Kansas City. There is you know, the whole thing, the whole thing is so tragic, and you know, there's still a lot of untanswered questions in addition to what we discussed. So maybe we'll get into that. I'll have you back and we'll talk about that, because the whole thing stinks.
Speaker 2: In short, these men should still be alive. Yeah, yeah, and because of terrible decisions and what clearly indicates payback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that AC one thirty should have been allowed to fire the one O five howitzer on them and took them out, you know or other. So very tragic. Listen, Don new and give my regards to you wonderful wife, Donna. We love her very much, Donna Fiducia. Watch Cowboy Logic. You're on before me seven am Saturday mornings. And then you got the Barn Party Saturday night. Ten seconds. How do they watch it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, Real America's Voice, Baby, that's the best place to be.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll keep it up your big talent. Thank you, don see you later, brother, Thanks so all right, everybody will be right back.
Speaker 5: From Real America's Music. This is Extortion one seven by Don Newan. Downloaded now say.
Speaker 1: We're still.
Speaker 2: Rackets where.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back everybody. You're watching Breaking Point, Real America's Voice News. I got terrific stuff ahead. I got Mike Brest from the Washington Examiner on what's going on in the Pentagon the Department of War, and I want to bring in right now though, Deba Demi, she's running in the twenty third congressional district. She attended Saint Juliana and then Cardinal Newman High School. DeBie. I love when you talk about in your intro on your website about how you know there were uniforms and race, color, ethnicity and all that didn't matter because I went to Catholic school and I love that aspect. And it wasn't a beauty contest as far as who had money and who didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the best you could do there was where cool socks or.
Speaker 3: Something, you know, So there was I didn't think anything of it back then.
Speaker 4: It was just like you know, well, but down here in Palm Beach.
Speaker 3: County there's there's a lot of different so many dynamics.
Speaker 1: I just got back from Palm Beach. I spent a lot of time down there. You're in a very interesting district with incumbent democrat in there for a long time. A lot of issues. Tell us about the biggest issues because they're building two hundred million dollar homes like chicklets down there. There's so much commercial development, and I know there's some negative aspects of that that affect you know, and possibly your race and other can tell us about what's going on in Palm Beach.
Speaker 4: Well, it's almost deja vous.
Speaker 3: Well it is because twenty years ago, there was many people aren't from here like myself. My family's been here five generations. So twenty years ago that summer the FBI came in. It was a big corruption We were nicknamed Corruption County in.
Speaker 4: Twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and six and seven, the FBI had to come in because of all the corruption with the development going on so fast, and the mayor and all the developers. It was a quid pro quo, pay the mayor and you get in, you know, with bids in the contract. It was that vulgar. So it was a huge corruption situation. It lasted about almost three years. It was really bad. And here it is again. And what's amazing to me is it's mostly the same characters. It's the same characters. Steven Ross, Lois Frankel is not the mayor anymore. She moved on to Congress, Keith James, everybody that was involved, they're still here.
Speaker 4: So it's very frustrating.
Speaker 3: For the voters now now because the development is out of control and it's a little complicated why it's happening so fast. But it is specifically regarding the Live Local Act, which sounds sweet and everything, but it's not it is.
Speaker 4: Destructive to Florida.
Speaker 3: And I hope Miami Hillsboro they get their lawsuit going.
Speaker 4: So this is intentionally destructive.
Speaker 1: I'm in the building business for forty years, and I can understand what you're saying to a degree, because you know, I've never seen development go on the way I have in Palm Beach, and every building on every corner is either being raised or rebuilt the valuations. And that's great that you know, a lot of people want to live there. It's a beautiful place. But you got one hundred miles from Jensen Beach all the way to Miami of multimillion dollar homes and that's great. And there's you know, some jobs and tourism and they there's not a lot of industry in Florida. But what are your concerns about what's going on specifically in Palm Beach a Democratic run county. Tell us about that before we talk about Lois.
Speaker 4: Well. She still pulls the puppet strings.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows that she walks into town hall, she walks into the court house. Everyone backs up. The queen is back in town. So I know the history, I know the corruption. I'm not even going to get into the very Christian aspect because we don't have time. But the affordable housing and what you're referring to as the explosive growth going on here in West Palm Beach, I'm telling you it is a ticking time bomb. The way this is structured, having to do with the text incentives foreign investor, the developers not paying taxes for ten years.
Speaker 4: That's how it's sold to the voters. Oh, we're going to have so.
Speaker 3: Much corporate taxes coming in.
Speaker 4: No it's not.
Speaker 6: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: There's bonds out there they don't have to pay for ten years. I've been here long enough and many people have seen this.
Speaker 4: This happens every ten to twelve years.
Speaker 3: But because of the Live Local Act, and DeSantis is not aware of this, the property tax broad stroke exemption that he signed off is going to make the situation worse.
Speaker 1: So you're that's.
Speaker 4: Not part of the formula.
Speaker 1: Sure, you're the Republican candidate. You have a primary coming up, you are challenged as of recently by somebody threw their hat in the ring. Tell us about your primary.
Speaker 3: So, before DeSantis did the reading districting this area, and we worked so hard, especially after COVID, this district Palm Beach County was only a D plus three and we have a huge percentage of independence.
Speaker 4: This was a flip target.
Speaker 3: And then surprisingly they created this bizarre we call it the Huge twenty two because it goes from Wellington all the way to Naples. Huge and seventy thousand voters from Sheila McCormick got shifted to us.
Speaker 4: So Sally asked he made a deal with somebody.
Speaker 1: That right, So you would think a Republican state Senate and Assembly pretty much Republican judges, Republican governor, why would they take a plus three district that was a beatable, winnable, easier for the Republicans And now it's so such a disadvantage for you going into this.
Speaker 3: It is extremely it's difficult if the standard stays, meaning the Democrats and the independents down in Sheila McCormick's district that they're counting on to vote as they always have, and you know Alce Hastings and Chila McCormick, that's been one of the most corrupt corrupt district in America.
Speaker 4: Al Sa Hastings.
Speaker 3: So sadly, whatever deal they made in Tallahassee, if they are betting on those voters in Chila McCormick's district will vote the same. What we do have, very uniquely is about thirty four independence.
Speaker 4: Where are they going to go? So that's the key factor. It was definitely you.
Speaker 1: Think they'll go your way, I believe compared to.
Speaker 3: The choice of Lois Frankel, she's come on far left, ninety percent voting with Pelosi and Biden, pregnant people. She pretends to be for women, she pretends to be for the black community. She started now Planned Parenthood here in nineteen seventy four, and she still speaks as if Roe v. Wade was nineteen seventy four.
Speaker 4: So we need the.
Speaker 3: Black community, the Hispanics to.
Speaker 4: Just try something different.
Speaker 3: My god decades if you're not satisfied the old Reagan saying, if you're not satisfied.
Speaker 4: With where you are now ten twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Mari Lago, Mari Lago's in your district, in the twenty third district there. We only have a minute left. I wanted to just mention, you know, when I was a kid, you know, John Anderson got a few percentage points as an independent, but now the independence in the ON affiliate is nationwide I was just saying in North Carolina that thirty nine percent of the vote now they were four percent in nineteen seventy eight. Big impact. Right, I'll give you the last word. We have one minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, it is unique here in Palm Beach County. We were very surprised that they made the decision. But given the status of the country, given the status of the county, I don't believe the bet that the Democrats and the Independents are going to automatically go for a far left extremist like Lois Frankel. And here in the mar A Lago district, Like I said, my family's been here a century. There's been a lot of changes, and we're tired of the Democrat corrupt local government, including Lois Frankle.
Speaker 4: We're tired of it.
Speaker 1: Your primary.
Speaker 3: Early voting begins Saturday, and then the eighteenth is the voting.
Speaker 1: All right, fine. I wanted to thank you so much for coming on, and so it's right around the corner when you when you emerge after that, we'll have you back on if you're in the general election. And I really appreciate your insight because it's fascinating what's going on in Palm Beach, and you know there's definitely some pitfalls to what's going on. I agree, but thank you so much and great seeing you.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Debbie. All Right, everyone, when we come back, I have a little bit of analysis Department of Energy. I have a Pentagon update for you and other stay tuned. Will be right back.
Speaker 7: As countries have walked away in the past few years from the US dollar, Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa diversify into gold, into Birch Gold, and for over five thousand years, gold has withstood inflation, geopolitical turmoil, and stock market crashes. And the great news is you can still get it. In fact, you can own gold and silver and attacks it sheltered retirement account. Birch Gold makes it easy to convert your Ira or four oh one k into an ira in precious metals, and all you've got to do is text the word America to ninety eight ninety eight ninety eight to claim your free infoKit on gold. With twenty years experience converting iras and four oh one k's in the precious metal irays, Birch Gold can help you protect yourself with gold today by texting the word America to ninety eight ninety eight ninety eight with an A plus rating with the Better Business Bureau of thousands of happy customers and countless five star reviews. Secure your future with gold. Start today with a free infoKit again. There's no obligation check it out, make the request. Just text the word America to ninety eight ninety eight ninety eight.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with more breaking point right after this. Hey everyone, thank you for watching. I'm David Zeer. Download the Real America's Voice news app. Tell your friends and family about it. Watch it wherever you are. We've got great stuff for you. I have a lot of updates that I receive during the week. Every day I get a Pentagon or Department of Energy or State Department update from those agencies. I cover the Pentagon, a lot Department of War around the country. And there's so much going on. You know. Trump has changed the landscape on energy, just completely change the landscape. His executive orders on small modula nuclear reactors and other and strategic energy dominance. I don't think people realize what's going on. You know, people say, oh, you know people are moving away from America. First, you know, they're moving away from Trump because he's not America first. Well, he is America first, and what's going on in Iran is critical. Could you imagine if we waited a year or two and did nothing about Iran and all of a sudden, which Trump proved by bombing them along with Israel last June, and then going forward in February twenty eighth on when I Ran launched a long range missile that went two thousand plus miles, it proved that they had them. So what were we going to do? Even if you don't take out their nuclear and we did nothing, We're going to wait two years? So they launched two three four thousand ballistic missiles at a time into London or Paris. You know. So I think Trump did the right thing by going over there. Gas futures are down about sixty seventy cents a gallon this week. We'll see if that takes. And you know, I understand, you know, everyone like Bloviate's, oh there's a formula for futures and everything. The prices go up quick, they don't come down. So gas future is a down sixty five cents as of the taping of the show in like a week and I don't see prices coming down at the pump that much, so I think there is gouging going on. I think Trump makes a good point when he talks about the oil companies and stuff, hammering them a little bit, but he is totally changing the game with what's going on here small modulate actors one to thirty megawatts. I took a trip in February from California to Utah board to C seventeen with the Energy Secretary and the Deputy Secretary of War, Michael Duffy from California March half Force Space to Hill F Force Space in Utah where they're testing one of the valor Atomics SMR at the nearby San Rafael Testing Laboratory. But there's like nine other companies pursuing this stuff. A bunch of them I believe have achieved like critical mass. These htgers, these high temperature gas cold reactors, they're safe. You know, you can't weaponize them. You don't have to worry about terrorism with them. They get better underground, or I believe you could put in a compartment underground you could power five thousand homes for every five megawatt reactor. You could string them together, maybe you could put five plus together. You could use them on the Moon for a colony. I think that's the long term goal for these things. There's so much going on with energy, and I just wanted to, you know, go over a few things because you know, renewables do play a role in what's going on with America's energy production. And one advantage that could power sixty five million homes in America is geothermal. Now I'm in the building business, geothermal was never affordable. It was one hundred thousand. It was questionable as to his efficacy. But the technology has gotten so much better now. And there's a great article out there America's surprising energy advantage, how to beat China on clean power. You know, China's invested twice as much as we had in renewables and it's helped them. For us, we're only about twelve percent effective rate for renewable energy. We don't have enough battery storage that can supply a grid. It can only store an hour or two a day of energy. They're getting a lot better with it though, it's really increasing, but it's still not enough. You need natural gas, you need fossil fuels, you need coal, and you need nuclear for a stable electric grid. That's just the fact. But the renewables do help. And the geothermal push in America I think is really coming soon to a theater near you. As well as these SMRs which Trump is pushing ahead of schedule. You know, they weren't supposed to be in effect till twenty thirty. I think we're going to start seeing them in twenty twenty eight early twenty twenty nine, working which could power you know, these supposed data centers and everything. I think AI is biased, by the way. If you put in like crime statistics, you know, for illegals in America, it doesn't answer the question it's programmed by liberals. I don't care what you say. It's programmed by liberals, you know, because you know there's no hard numbers, you know, but we have reports that they're well for five hundred thousand felonies committed by illegals in Texas one stayed alone from twenty eleven to twenty seventeen, including four thousand murders. I think, you know, but there's no numbers on illegals, and we know that, but they go further when you look up in AI. I know I talked about this last week I'm media exposed. You know, when you look up how many illegals commit crimes in America, they are like, oh, and also they commit less crimes per capita than Americans, And it's like okay, And your point is how many hundreds of thousand Americas have been murdered or assaulted or maimed or raped or robbed from or killed in dwee accidents. You know, we interviewed angel families for years. I met Steve ronning Back I interviewed down at the border in twenty nineteen. His son was killed in a gas station and a robbery for no reason. Another angels facing on the street in California, and the car came up on the front lawn legals with drag racing and killed their like four year old kid. You know, there's a cost, There's a human cost. Never mind all the baby I was on the border in twenty nineteen with Ben Berkwam and three babies drowned, two or three toddlers drowned in the Rio Grand that weekend. Democrats don't care about human life. And Tom Mahoman always says, I don't want to hold any more dead babies out of the back of trailers. But anyway, there's a great American energy comeback. That's what the Department of Energy is calling it. And on August seventeenth, Chris Wright will be a Midland, Texas to meet with oil and gas workers and industry leaders. We're pumping out like thirteen to five fourteen million bowls a day, something like that. This advantage that America has an energy production, no country in the world can keep up with us. They're opening up this new giant plant in Kentucky, affordable access for AI plants to be built in Kentucky. Landmark partnerships with private energy companies. Next Terra Brookfield, Big Rivers Electric Power. Jackson purchased any Cooperative our System to develop the Department of Energies Paduca site. It is going to be a massive plant, one hundred billion dollars in private investment, one of the largest in Kentucky history. It's going to create eight thousand construction jobs out there. But there's so much going on here. So another big thing is I'm going to get into the next block, is you know this myth that we're out of weapons and Iran and you know, how could that information even come out? We're at war, and you're going to give a signal that we're weak, and it's bill because the attack, the attack ems those land to land missiles. We were phasing them ount anyway, and I know there's been like a thousand or so missiles fired, whether it's Pack three or thads or Patriot missiles. But we have supplies and we are armed, and as Hegseth always maintained, what we're doing in Iran is only about ten percent of American military might. I am not that worried about, you know, the thatats. We have new technology too. We launch these drones that can blow up in the in the air and take out the electronics of drone swarms, because I think our biggest fear is drone swarms overwhelming our fleets and other things. You know, if you're China sends ten thousand at a time, that could be a real problem. And next week there's going to be a big demonstration in North Dakota. I'm going to cover that either from here or there, we'll see, but there we're testing drones. It's the new way of warfare around the planet. It's scary because the technology is changing, but the US is still the leader in technology. Out there. But now the Chinese are building fake ships in the desert and they're practicing on our ships, probably with drone swarms. Someone told me a number they could make a hundred million drones or something crazy like that. But I think that we've got a lot going on, and Trump has really put things pedal to the metal, foot to the floor on not only energy but our defense, our nation's defense, the best military, the highest tech in the world. We'll be right back when I come back. I got Mike Brest, who's the defense reporter for the Washington Examiner. I took the trip to Brussels with him to cover the NATO Defense Ministerial Administerio about a month and a half ago. Don't go anywhere. We got great stuff ahead. Maria Linz here from switch to USA dot com. She's a big supporter of the show, breaking point on Real America's Voice News. How are you, Maria, I'm doing well.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Thank you for having me on the show today.
Speaker 4: David.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you've got American made products by American factory workers, health and wellness, safe for cleaning products, oral care, oral probiotic, skincare, hair care supplements, healthy snacks, and essentials. Tell us about switch to USA dot com.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 8: This is a place where everyone can come and shop for their essentials. You shop on your phone, on your your computer, you can call in order. So this is where we all Americans can shop American made products that are world class and they don't have any chlorine, bleach and formaldehyde. And our skin is our biggest organ so there's just so much to cover. We have over five hundred different products and all of our monthly shoppers can come in and also breeze around or check out our beef. It's all prime and high choice. And for every monthly shopper that's a that's a member, we have something special one hundred dollars back to you in free products on the wellness Shot and fifty two dollars discount on prime beef.
Speaker 1: Okay, where do they go?
Speaker 8: Please come to visit us switch to USA dot com.
Speaker 4: And that's the number two.
Speaker 1: All right, Maria Lynn, thank you so much. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. David, have a great week.
Speaker 1: Yes, don't go anywhere. Well, be right back with more Breaking Point on Real America's Voice News.
Speaker 5: Some stories deserve more than headlines. They deserve to be remembered. Extortion seventeen honors the thirty American service members and eight Afghan partners who made the ultimate sacrifice when their helicopter was shot down during a mission in Afghanistan on August sixth, twenty eleven. Through powerful orchestration and heartfelt emotion, composer Don Newan pays tribute to their courage, their service, and the families who continue to carry their legacy from Real America's music. This is Extortion one seven by Don Newen. Download it now a job.
Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, welcome back to Breaking Point. I'm David Zier. I've got a great guest with us right now, colleague of mine inside the Pentagon covering what's going on at the Department of War, Mike Brest and the Washington Examiner, their defense reporter. Welcome to the show, Mic, Thank you for having me. Yeah, anytime. We had an incredible trip to Brussels for the NATO Defense Ministerial. That was a real great opportunity to see what's going on. They really rolled out the carpet for heg seth over there in Europe, right they did.
Speaker 6: But it was a quick trip.
Speaker 1: It was quick, all right. We got some We got some French fries, some freetz and a waffle and we were home. But really important, right, because NATO has to shift back more to the traditional sense of NATO one point zero. Now it's NATO three point zero, getting away from some of the other things that have distracted them more towards kind of like a Cold War posture, right, I.
Speaker 6: Think that's a fair way to put it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I know that you've been covering a lot of stuff for involving drones, and tell us what's the latest going on in Ukraine. I know they did a lot of damage inside Russia, maybe taking out twenty percent of their refining capacity, but Russia went on a campaign. But it's is it turning in Ukraine's favor right now?
Speaker 9: So I think it would be maybe a little bit too far to say that the tides have turned too heavily in Ukraine's favor, considering they're still very much outnumbered, outpowered, and are really just trying to use in a and technology to.
Speaker 6: Stay in the fight.
Speaker 9: And so while as you said, Ukraine and Russia as well have made significant strides in drone technology and their ability to use drones, we're still seeing Russia pommel Ukrainian cities with ballistic missiles that Ukrainians don't have great ways to defend against because they're relying on generally the US and the West for the exquisite air defense systems and interceptors that are required to handle ballistic missiles.
Speaker 6: So, while Ukraine does seem.
Speaker 9: To be making an impact in Russia's oil and gas industry with these longer range drone attacks targeting those types of facilities, it hasn't yet had an impact on stopping Russia's ability to use ballistic missiles to target Ukrainian cities that they really can't defend against.
Speaker 1: Did Russia take out a drone factory inside the Ukraine.
Speaker 9: There's been reporting that that's happened. It's unclear exactly, given we're so far away and both sides neither side likes to publicly talk about their losses but boast very heavily about their victories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So there's a lot of narratives going on, and I think it's it's despicable that you know, there's information leaking out about our status, how many missiles we have left and stuff. You know, we're in a war, and you know it kind of gives us. We lose leverage at the negotiating table when things like this come out. Every article you see is a hit piece on Pete hag Seth and stuff. What's the real story going on with our pack threes which are intermediate you know, atmospheric interceptors, the thads which are upper atmosphere, and then the patriot stocks. What's the real story?
Speaker 9: So I think the real story is that the US has used a lot of these over the course of the Yuran War. There's no disputing that, whether it's offensive weapons or defensive weapons to keep troops safe. They've expended significant amounts munitions over the last six months or so. Not only that, but the Pentagon both under President Trump before the Iran War and under President Biden talked about expanding capacity for some of these systems, in part because they were thinking about a future conflict, potentially against a peer adversary like China, and so to some extent, the concerns about where the stockpiles were before this conflict were already in the conversation. However, a lot of those conversations have since been heightened or elevated given the expenditure of munitions during the Iran War.
Speaker 6: And so, as you.
Speaker 9: Said, the President and the Trump administration have maintained that they have everything they need to carry out the President's objectives in Iran. The question is, as is the case after any conflict the US is involved in, there will take time where they.
Speaker 6: Need to sustain and maintain their systems.
Speaker 9: And it's in that time that they will need to not only recover what they've viewed, but they have talked about expanding the capacity two to three to four times, depending on the specific system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I see that, And there's a lot of cooperation with the private sector and stuff we've been covering regarding you know, quick turnaround and private public partnerships really important. I know I've read a report that they were going to triple the pack three capacity. But these things take a long time to develop, and you know, you could fire them quickly, but it could take a year or two to replenish. And so there's a lot. But tell us about do you know the latest on like counter UAS systems. I was I saw one that may have been employed and I ran that was like an air burst and it jammed and it could take out a drone swarm.
Speaker 9: Is that reality, it's hard to tell about specific systems of the US is using to defend troops in Iran because those are closely guarded secrets. But broadly speaking, the military is exploring several different ways to try and take down, as you said, not just one drone, but a drone swarm, because they pose unique challenges and the US needs to have a capability that is roughly the same cost, which is a big part of this conversation to defeat them.
Speaker 6: And so there are things that they are exploring with.
Speaker 9: Like lasers or electronic warfare or GPS jamming, all of which are ways that they could conceivably try and take a drone down without using a kinetic force or kinetic option, which is still a possibility, but there are other risks associated with doing that, like falling debris or potentially missing And so some of those conversations that we're having about the way the war is being carried out in the Middle East would be say applied differently if we're talking about domestic attack, where they're domestic considerations like commercial airliners in.
Speaker 6: The sky, where that could be a risk or concerned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially with like Golden Dome technology being worked on as well, so my concern is, you know, is that camp at Abury for the drone strike demonstration under the you know the is this incredible industry that we have of drone manufacturers. I mean I must have interviewed forty or fifty that day and then again at other events like spacecomm in Florida, and now they're doing this thing in North Dakota. One concern I had because the technology I saw, like the Orca. You know, you could take like one hundred of these at a time in a container on a ship and you can hand launch them off the side of the ship. They're the size of like a pigeon on the radar signature. And what if China did like five or ten thousand of these at a time on a guided missile destroyer, an aircraft carry a group. You know, are we vulnerable? Can we keep up with that? And is it a reality that China could do something like that, maybe launch two three thousand drones at a time.
Speaker 9: So to break up your question a little into two parts, sorry, it's first on. First on just sort of what we're seeing in terms of the threat from drones. I think you're absolutely right. I interviewed Secretary Dan Driscoll, the Secretary of the Army a couple months ago, and I asked him what his biggest fear was regarding counter drone technology, and he said that what keeps him up at night is essentially any container, as you mentioned, could be retrofitted with drones and anywhere in the world could be essentially turned on, the roof of the container lifted and drones could be launched. And so part of the concern is just how close the drones could be to their intended target, which would limit the amount of time the US would have to stop such an attack. And so it also comes into play when we think about like the Ukrainians out Operation Spider Web from last year, where they snuck drones on a truck into Russian territory, brought them near a Russian military base or air force base, and then use the drones to damage several so much.
Speaker 6: More expensive exactly.
Speaker 9: And so there have been concerns in the United States over the last couple of months about unidentified drones over military bases in the US and so while none of those instances have turned out to be an actual attack on a US base, the concept is there, and so speaking to both current and former military officials.
Speaker 6: They're concerned that there is.
Speaker 9: The possibility of a large scale drone attack in the United States, and the US is trying to.
Speaker 6: Catch up with what the threat could look like.
Speaker 9: But part of the conversation comes into play is, as I said, having systems to defeat drones over densely populated civilian in areas and to make sure that you aren't unintentionally leading to civilian casualties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, it's Trump's priority, and the Department of War was priority to you know, they're doing these technological experimentation the t Rex project around the country for technology readiness. It's just really the focus. I mean, this is going to be a drone warfare world very quickly. I'm concerned about like a cruise ship, like a carnival cruise ship or something, and you know, a container pulls up alongside and one hundred drones come out and they each have one hundred pound warheads and they could take out, you know, a large portion of the ship as a terrorist attack. It's really not that far fetched. We have less than a minute. Mike breast Tell review is where they can follow you and I'll give you the last word.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 9: I think people can follow my work at the Washington Examiners webs or follow me on Twitter at Mike BREASTDC. But just to go to your last point, it is important to recognize the drones can be cheaply produced, which allows them to be an opportunity potentially for a terror group as opposed to like a full country or large scale military. Because of the cheapness of producing drones, any group could really take that as an opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of them are three D printed, coss in ten thousand versus forty million for a fighter jet. You know, it's just incredible what's going on in the world is changing quickly. Mike. I always appreciate your insight. It was great, you know, being with you, and I'm sure you know we're our paths across. Hopefully there won't be more war briefings because there'll be some type of resolution here in the Gulf. But let's see Thank you again.
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me all right, Mike.
Speaker 1: Thank you for watching Breaking Point. We'll see you next week.