Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Robert Evans here and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: This is the beginning of the podcast, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm James, and this is it.
Speaker 2: Could happen here today. We are going to be talking about the recent events that have happened in Palestine and the recent acts of terror that the IDEF has committed against Palestinians. So yeah, thanks for joining me, James, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to be another fun one from us.
Speaker 4: I know. I think that's like our thing. It's just uplifting podcasts.
Speaker 2: If they don't leave depressed, we're not doing our job, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, if you're driving, maybe pulevi because we're going to try make you cry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no really, I mean, like, in all seriousness, there has been some shocking footage that has come out of Palestine this month. On April fifth, in particular, there was footage that emerged from a luxA mosque, which is the third holiest site in Islam, and it is within occupied East Jerusalem. The compound is within that area, and the videos are showing Israeli security forces mercilessly beating Palestinian worshippers and that violence left at least twelve Palestinians injured and obviously just fueled more public anger, and three of those Palestinians had to go to the hospital.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if people haven't seen the videos, like you don't have to watch them really, but it's pretty horrific. Like we were just talking before we started about how monstrous you have to be, like to stand there and whack someone with a stick again and again and again, especially when they're not particularly any threat to you other than you know, you perceive their existence to the threat to your state project. Yeah, and they're just trying to go to the mosque.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they literally just there there, there, there's no weapons, They're trying to pray. They're praying, and yeah, I feel like prayer is a very vulnerable state to be in, you know what I mean, Like it's not it's kind of like, I don't know's it was just really upsetting. And and you're right about the dehumanization thing, because we were because a gun would make it so much easier to kill someone, right, But to purposely injure someone with your own hands, I think is us for sure.
Speaker 3: I think maybe it's when a lot of people in America at least, like it was very formative to me the first time I saw a cop fucking battering someone with a stick, you know. And I think if a lot of people in America maybe had that experience firsthand a couple of years ago, and it maybe changed their perspective on things. But yeah, this is what colonialism does everywhere, right, And it's that what's happening here and in Ramadan as well, right.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, and this is kind of like a trend, like there's no excuse for doing and people always try to point fingers about like who's the bad guy here? But on the other side, rockets were fired from Gaza and Lebanon as a warning sign after this escalation happened. It was literally a warning like please don't do this, this is wrong. But Israel didn't listen, and the following day Israel repeated the violent attack on Hada'maschetif, which is what Arabs call that compound. It's also called Temple Mount for the people of Jewish faith. And yeah, they and then as that was happening, the following day, Israel carried out air raids on Gaza and Lebanon. So not only did they not heed the warning, it was like a slap in the face. And I'm going to talk a little bit about the experience that some people had in Gaza from this, but that's a little bit later. But I just want to like put that out there that when people are like, oh Hamas or whatever, they fired rockets, It's like, what do you what do you expect people push in a corner to do? I just that's what I always think about.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Well, yeah, and if harmasafis rockets sort of, you know, does that mean everyone should be collectively punished? Like you shouldn't be able to practice your faith now? Like that that's that doesn't make any fucking sense. And like, yeah, how do you react if you've seen your grandmother beaten with a fucking stick at church or synagogue, on mask wherever you go. Especially Yeah, like during Ramadan at a time when like this particular place on earth has got like that all the Abrahmic faiths are like looking at this place and trying to do their religious stuff there, and like I'm not a particularly religious guy, but surely there's no religion which way, like the thing you should be doing at your Holy days is beaten people with a stick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like even if you're not a Muslim, that that area is still really sacred to both Christians and Jewish people, and you would think that Jews wouldn't want to be horrific on that area in general, you know what I mean. Like it's yeah, it's just like even even if that little area is not particular sacred to you, like it's still all sacred in my opinion, and I feel like people forget that.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Yeah, it takes a real like it's an interesting sirrong word. It's the juxtaposition of these sacred spaces and then it's incredible, like it's somewhere I've been when I was younger, and like all around that part of Jerusalem or around Drews, my guess, is juxtaposition of like sacred spaces, which is supposed to be peaceful and calm and reflective and then people doing the violence of colonialism, like right there, and it's just such a profound kind of whiplash every time you move from one to the other.
Speaker 2: And yeah, because they're the extremes of both. It's like one of the most sacred and one of the most violent. It's not there's no like wishy washiness about it. But let me continue, Okay, So after this happened, the Arab League held an emergency meeting to discuss these air raids. And just in case you don't know, the Arab League is a regional organization in the Arab world. It has twenty two members, but Syria hasn't been a member since twenty eleven. That could be another episode another time, but that's what the Arab League is, in case someone out there needed a refresher. But the League condemned the attack, and it said in a statement that quote the extremist approaches that control the policy of the Israeli government will lead to widespread confrontations with the Palestinians if they are not put to an end. And at least four hundred Palestinians were arrested on Wednesday of April fifth when this happened, and they remain in Israeli custody. They're being held at a police station and occupied East Jerusalem for no reason. It's never really for a reason. It's very rare.
Speaker 5: That's for a reason.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Palestinian witnesses said Israeli forces use excessive force, including stun grenades and tear gas, causing suffocation injuries to the worshippers and then beating them with batons and rifles. There was a twenty four year old student who has attained beca Oeis and he said, we were conducting Ichtikaf, which is the really religious Muslim worship that is reserved for Ramadan, is very sacred, and he said we were conducting Ictigaf at the Aluxa because it's Ramadan. The army broke the upper windows of the mosque and began throwing stunt grenades at us. They made us slide down on the ground and they handcuffed us one by one and took us all out. They kept swearing at us during this time. It was very barbaric. And then an elderly woman said, according to this reporter, she was like catching her breath outside and in tears and she said, I was sitting on a chair reciting in the Quran. They hurled stun grenades and one of them hit my chest. And this is like, there's no discrimination, you know what I mean. It's not there's no discrimination to their hate. Everyone and is under the same umbrella. If they're Palestinians, if they're Muslims, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't be like using taar gas selectively in a place of worship. But that's not how that worked. You kind of break windows and throwing ta gas. By definition, you're targeting every single person there for the crime of being there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no excuse of like we we were shooting back at shooters, you know what I mean, that's not an excuse or they could use. It's like you're infiltrating a place where people are literally trying to pray, Like there's no there's no.
Speaker 3: Excuse, like old ladies, you haven't eaten all day, Yeah, I had a drink of water. They're not like and you shouldn't be threatened by those people, like yeah, but if their existence as Muslims in the place that you don't think they should be allowed to exist, it's threatening to you then because you're doing a colonialism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're I mean, you're the bad guid in the situation in this case. And the Palestinian Red Cross said that Israeli forces prevented medics from reaching the mosque. And this has happened before. As James mentioned to me before the podcast, it's like a very typical characteristic thing of the IDF to block paramedics or aid to come help people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people want to look more at like a podcast alumni. Tarik has done a lot of first aid working Gaza and he's written about it on his medium page. I'll find a link and we'll put it in our sources. Yes, please, you can see some first hand accounts of how difficult it is to like again, right that I don't really see how you could find it objectionable to help someone who's been hurt. Yeah, but yeah, it seems to be a recurrent thing. Yeah, it's it is.
Speaker 2: And what I always find amusing is Israel's statements after things like this happen. They're always so comical and so stupid. And this time they said when the police entered, stones were thrown at them and fireworks were fired from inside the mosque by a large group of agitators. It also said that a police officer was wounded in the leg, like womp, womp, are you kidding me? Like, I don't care about his fucking leg. I don't like they always mentioned stones. I'm so tired of them mentioning stones and rocks, like shut up, no, it's time for army at the Middle East. And it's like they hurled stones at us, like fuck off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have the fucking iron dome and a kid has thrown us a rock at you, like and like that's the stone thing in particular. I don't know why that. It's something the Border patrol use a lot when they kill people at the border right through a stone, Like it's this is a commonality of training between these two organizations, right, but like, yeah, what you also like when we entered the mosques and people threw stones at us, like what were you fucking doing in the masque? Like why were you there?
Speaker 2: Like and I'll get into the rules later, but there are very specific times because this place is sacred to so many people, there are specific times for each faith to enter and use the compound, and so they weren't supposed to be there and they were beating people to make way for Jewish people to enter and have their time. But that's not the way to do it. And I'm pretty sure they weren't supposed to be there at that time. But I mentioned this in a previous episode. The government is more far right than ever, and so the nationalists that are like encouraging violence are usually the ones that are succeeding. In response to this, Jordan, and Jordan acts as a custodian of Jerusalem's Christian and Muslim holy sites. This is under a status quot agreement that has been in place since the nineteen sixty seven war. They condemned the flagrant storming of the compound and then Egypt they called for an immediate halt to Israel's blatant assault on XA Worshipper's But other than that, there hasn't been much. Like the US said was like, I think I don't know the exact quote that anyone in the US said, but I'm sure they were like, oh no, this shouldn't happen, and then they move on. It's never really any kind of helpful action or reprimand or anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah. One from Koreine Jean Pierre, which is we urge all sides to avoid further escalation, which why was this Why do you even bother saying shit when you like, don't escalate when they come into your moscue and tea? I guess you would throw stung grenades at you, Like what are they supposed to do?
Speaker 6: Like sincombay a, Yeah, well so why it's like, it's like the same situation we had a couple of years ago where you have the police that are in swat gear and fully armed with people that aren't and you're saying like this both sides thing like both sides shouldn't do violence.
Speaker 2: Or escalate or whatever. And I think it's so stupid when that happens, because there's a clear aggressor and a clear victim in that situation. But as I mentioned earlier, Palestinians see a luxamosque as one of the few national symbols over which they retain some element of control. They are, however, fearful of a slow encroachment by Jewish groups, and this is what happened at the Ibrahimi Mosque, which is also called the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron, and in nineteen sixty seven half of them was turned into a synagogue. So Palestinians are worried about that happening again. And they are also worried about far right Israeli movements that want to demolish the Islamic structures in elkximosqu and build a Jewish temple in their place.
Speaker 4: So it's not just.
Speaker 2: Like rumors of this happening. There are nationalists in the far right government and the people that they follow that want that to happen. And by now it is quite clear that American efforts to prevent another escalation in Palestine is failing, and it's not the Palestinian side that's responsible. Prime Minister and Yahoo, his desperate bid to cling to power is not conducive to any de escalation that anyone can ever encourage. All he's doing is accelerating the process of violence and triggering instability, not just in East Jerusalem but like all over the state of Palestine. And Okay, before we move on, let's take our first break before I forget BRB. We are back. I ended the last segment talking about how the US diplomacy is failing an understatement of the century. But for more than a year now, the tensions and occupied Palestine territories have been very high. The arned Palestinian resistance has been active, especially in Jenin and Nablus, and Israeli security forces have carried out incessant violent raids of Palestinian towns and villages. I said it's in a previous episode, but the UN called twenty twenty two the deadliest year for the occupied West Bank in the past sixteen years, and these rarely Army killed at least one hundred and seventy Palestinians, including thirty children, and injured at least nine thousand people. The first two months of this year have been the most violent since the year two thousand, with sixty five Palestinians killed, including thirteen children. This year, the Muslim holy month of Ramadan coincides with the Jewish holiday of Passover. Hadamashadif Aka Temple Mount is significant, as I said, for both Muslims and Jews. Muslims believe it's the place where Muhammad ascended to heaven, and the Jewish people believe that it's the site of two biblical temples. Regardless, it contains the Aluxamos currently and it's been there since ten thirty five a d. And it's again the third holyest site for Muslims and an incredibly sacred place for prayer and worship. It's I'm sure there's like an energy there. Like I'm not religious, but I kind of feel that energy sometimes where like everyone thinks or believes in a place and it becomes important just as a place. It doesn't even need to be explained, I think in general. And maybe I'm biased because I was raised Muslim, but still I think it's silly to pretend that this is at this current point in time, like there's a reason for them not to be there, or there's a reason for like a synagogue to be built instead.
Speaker 3: Like I think it's just so stupid.
Speaker 2: My vocabulary isn't expansive enough to actually describe how you feel, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's yeah, And it's such a barbarous thing to do to take this thing and like to destroy it that's so special to literally.
Speaker 4: More than a billion people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and be like now fuck you, like we have more guns, so we're doing our thing now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it was correctly speculated because of this coincision of Ramadan and Passover that it would be a potential flashpoint for violence, and two regional meetings were held under United States supervision to hope to preclude any major escalations from this time, and it didn't work obviously. On February twenty sixth, Palestinian, Israeli, Jordanian, Egyptian and American officials met in the Georganian city of Akaba. They emphasize a commitment to a quote de escalation on the ground to prevent further violence, and Israel pledged to stop authorizing new illegal settlements in Palestinian territories for six months. On March nineteenth, the second regional meeting happened and it was held in Charmelchech, where the Palestinian and Israeli officials committed to uphold the status quo of the Holy sites in Jerusalem quote, both in words and in practice, and they emphasize the quote necessity of both Israelis and Palestinians to actively prevent any actions that would disrupt the sanctity of these sites in general, but especially during the upcoming holy month of Ramadan. I feel like every time Israel says anything, you can't actually believe anything they say. There's pledges don't matter, the UNS labeling them as the partment APARTI you say doesn't matter, nothing really matters, because it's all empty words. And nhen Yahu's government hasn't been upholding the status quo in words or in practice. He is allied with far right and alter religious forces that have openly stated that the Israeli recognition of these Urginian gardenship of the holy sites was a historic mistake that they are bound on rectifying. So not only are they meeting just like to say face, I think they've openly said that we don't respect this group that is being held together. We want we want to we want to change it.
Speaker 4: We don't.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't understand how anyone can believe anything this country says.
Speaker 3: Even within Israel, right like people who can recognize that this current like Nenyaku coalition, it is opposed to the basics of their constitution and their democracy. And like when when you have people within the IDF being like, now, dog, you've gone too far like that, I think that that says a lot. But like they're not saying you've gone too far in yet throwing stung grenades into a mosque, right, like, yeah, he will get away with pushing that ship further and further and.
Speaker 2: He has gone away with it.
Speaker 3: It's it's atrocious and will continue to when he gets domestic pushback, right like, because like aggressive Zionism is the kind of unifying like the grand unifying policy that brings people together for him, his coalition. So he's going to hell keep doing this, and like it would be irrational to expect people in Palestine not to respond. I know there are lots of new groups that are like popping up to fight back, which you know, you'd have to be incredibly naive to expect that not to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just what happens when you push people in a corner. And then I think what they actually like is an excuse to fight back too. So like when these when these groups do attack, that's always their excuse as to why they're attacking. So it's almost like they're provoking an attack on purpose to give them a reason to attack, which is stupid. Again, that word is the only word in my head right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, I was thinking about this thing that they do again, which seems to be like sticking a middle finger up. It's like that they like to withhold the bodies of people they've killed. Uh huh, yes, quite often, and like I just don't, like, what do you expect to gain by doing that other than just being unfathomably cruel.
Speaker 2: And the burial process for Muslims is very sacred, it's a very sacred ritual, and so they're purposely denying them of that.
Speaker 3: It's like, I mean, did you Neva convention. It's it's like a pretend thing. It doesn't matter, but it's still in humane, right, doesn't matter if some some people, so some old white dudes a long time ago, decided it was in humane or not, because I think anyone with Ed Sgudon could be like, man, that's so that's fucked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. Yeah, And speaking of the Zionist movement and the far right movement, twenty twenty three started with the far right Minister of National Security at Tamara Berg Gavid. He entered Al Haramashadif and this provoked public anger across Palestine. Under his watch, the raids by Israeli settlers on the Muslim holy site of Alaxamosque. They were under the protection of the Israeli security forces and they've only intestified Bengavie. In other extremists in the government are in Yaho's only chance to stay in power and to avoid going to jail for corruption. And they know that, and they're taking advantage of the situation to support by all means possible the violence that the Jewish settlers have unleashed onto the Palestinian people in the occupied West Bank and continue to erode the status quo at the Holy sites. All of this is an aim to establish new facts on the ground aka full Israeli control. All of this is with the aim of establishing full Israeli control. And Yahoo does not mind this violence. He encourages and likes it for his own means. For him, violence is a useful distraction from the anti government protests which have played his sixth term in office because I did an election episode about Israel that you can always listen to. But net and Yahoo being in power wasn't supposed to happen again is the main thing. And him being in power and bringing in this terrible government. There's a reason why it's all happening so intensely. Yeah, it's just years of Zionist encouragement finally coming to a head, especially now that a lot of Zionists are in power and war is not really in Israel's interest. It's currently preoccupied with the Palestinian resistance in the West Bank. It's worried about Iran's military presence and diplomatic successes in the region. It's been striking Syria regularly, even just days after the devastating earthquakes that happened this year. They bomb Syria and they want to curb Iranian influence. And they're also concerned about Hezbollah's role in a recent roadside bomb explosion near the border with Lebanon. So starting a religious war quote unquote does not suit their I don't understand the motivation there, other than to further a certain dominance and to scare the Palestinians. On the other side, Hamas and Gaza has tried to take a measured response. Again, it warned Israel against further raids all in Alxa, and it is reluctant to escalate this because it would take attention from the Palestinian resistance in the West Bank. Because Hamas sees the main area of conflict with Israel as the conflict in the West Bank, armed attacks in the occupied territories cause much more anxiety to the Israeli authorities than a confrontation with Gaza. Hamas's strategy now is to encourage a popular Palestinian mombilization in the West Bank, Jerusalem and Israel in order to serve as a barrier to further encroachment on the Aluxa Mosque. And that said, Hamas may find itself under pressure to act decisively, especially if Israel's brutal violence against worshippers continues. The Palestinian people I mentioned this in previous episode, but they have reacted angrily at the weak response from the PA, the Palatine authority, and it's inaction. They're frustrated that the supposed protectors or liaisons that they have to negotiate or protect them, they're not doing anything. So that anger becomes this pressure on someone to act, and it's usually Hamas because they're the longest standing and most powerful group in that area. The Hamas leadership would not want to be perceived as passive, and they may feel compelled to abide by popular demand to take a tougher stance and intensify rocket fire towards Israel. And this would repeat, as I mentioned earlier, the twenty twenty one war on Gaza, which was also triggered by Israel's raids on Al al Samosque, and this would only further escalate the violence. Well after Ramadan, it's not going to just be contained in this month. And let's take our last break, really right back, and we're back talking about the escalation of violence. And there have been repeated warnings that Israel's actions in the Holy sites could trigger a quote unquote religious war. In January, Jordinian Ambassador Mahammud Daifa Lahmoud told the UN Security Council that Israeli attacks on Alfaramashadif are provoking quote the feelings of nearly two billion Muslims and this could spark a religious conflict. So the people that are saying it's religious may actually have a point if this actually comes to a head, because it's actually not the whole. The whole Israel Palestine quote unquote conflict is not about religion. It's about occupation and colonialism. But in this particular instance, when it comes to the mosque, the anger is very rooted in faith and a direct like slap in the face of their faith.
Speaker 3: So it takes a yeah, you can make it a religious conflict. I think that's like other colonial powers have been very good at doing by like desecrating holy sites of a religion. Yeah, right, Like it's kind of yeah, you risk alienating like it's a billion people, or you know, uniting a billion people in opposition when you just flagrantly do this shit like this. Like I don't think anyone who I'm not a religious person either, And like I watched that video of the cops or soldiers, I guess kind of the same thing and like beaten people with chairs and shit, and like that made me furious. That made me want to hurt someone, like and that's not something that's specially special to me. Maybe it was, I can imagine it even more furious.
Speaker 2: It should make anyone mad to see someone treated like that, you know what I mean. It shouldn't make anyone furious to see that kind of terror taking place.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people have trouble putting themselves and someone else's shoes maybe, or like they have trouble caring about something that doesn't affect them, And I think that is a very dangerous path to go on. It's just very self centered and main charactery and heartless.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, it's very odd that as humans, Like we've normalized the existence and to an extent, people will like simp for the existence of like this state, right, which is like an abstraction of capital, And like then the state exists as an a protraction of capital, and it has boundaries and rules, and if you transgressed us, even if you don't, if you're just like like antithetical to its vision for a piece of land, then then people can come and beat the shit into you while you're praying. Now, like that's just a thing that's going to happen. And like, I don't know if I feel like sometimes if we if we sort of re round the past two or three hundred years and we're like, hey, peasant in the seventeen hundred six, do you want to be in a place where like someone could walk into this mosque anytime thirty stom grades beat the shit out of old ladies, and like no one would go from like A to B. Right, But we're at B now and people don't seem to want to like investigate how we got here and what we can do to change it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they regard it as like just a thing that happens in order for like humanity or like civilization to progress. Yeah, so backwards. It doesn't have to be like that.
Speaker 3: No, people can read the door of everything they want to. Yes, they want to know about that, but yeah, oh you can just you know, not in sim for cops.
Speaker 4: If you don't, I can help.
Speaker 2: That's a good first step, because to fuck cops. But there is a growing concern that with its aggressive actions in Aluxa, Nanyahu's government is seeking to impose restrictions on the access that Palestinians have to the holy site, the way that it was done with the Abrahemi Mosque and Hebron that I mentioned earlier. This mosque was divided by the Israeli authorities into sections that Muslims and Jews can visit to supposedly prevent further violence because a masker happened there in nineteen ninety four, when a Jewish settler opened fire on Muslim worshippers and killed twenty nine people who were there to pray. So it's We've talked about how history repeats itself a lot, and being afraid of that happening is not illogical, it's not irrational because it's happened before, it could happen again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the IDF always backs up these settlers, right like they did it yesterday. I think, like a kid was killed in a refugee camp in an incident. I think we'd started when, if I'm not wrong, there was a march, like a bunch of settlers were marching into into an area and claiming that you know, it's legalizing it and normalize it, do another colonial conquest. And yeah, they're willing to shoot a kid like you know, they seem to be willing to back these people, especially when they form, if I understand correctly, like an important part of the coalition that Nenya who's relying on right now.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a huge part. And also those marches by settlers are usually protected by cops, like they're shielded by the IDF. It's not like they're there to stop any kind of conflict. They're there to protect the settlers. It's just backwards history repeating itself. And if these measures are imposed on Alexa, it would be a clear violation of the status quo, under which non Muslims are allowed to visit only at certain hours of the day and they're not allowed to pray inside. But this is obviously not what's happening and so far there have only been condemnations issued by Arab states and the EU and the US. What Arab and Western capitals do not understand is that unless there is a harsh response to Israeli actions now, Natanyahuo's far right allies will only be emboldened to go even further in their efforts to take over Muslim and Christian holy sites and settle there. Israeli aggression and Elhadamashdif is turning Israel into a detonator that will sooner or later blow up the whole region. It's really felt like that for me for a long time, and for a lot of people. It's like this metaphorical ticking time bomb and Israel themselves is provoking it to detonate. And I think this pressure cooker of a situation is bound to have an apex. It's not going to be boiling forever. And the violence isn't just contained at Alexa. Israel didn't take a break from all their other terrorist activities to focus on just one, because their other terrors activities are still happening. As you mentioned, on April tenth, a Palestinian child was killed by Israeli forces in the akabeta Jabar refugee camp in Jericho. Mohammed Fayez Bahan was fifteen years old and he was shot in the head, chest and stomach. Make it make sense. On April eighth, the Gaza Strip endured a night of bombardment as Israeli fighter jets conducted air raids on several sites in the territory. The first Israeli air strike that hit was near Eldora Children's Hospital in the besieged Gaza Strip. Some reporters talked to people that experienced this event in this active terror and some going to read some of their quotes. Samar al Juan talked to Al Jazeera about her terrified experience when she rushed to her two year old daughter's bed to pick her up. Moments later, the glass from the window next to her on the bed shattered and crashed onto the cot. She said, my daughter miraculously survived. Last night, we were sleeping in the ward. Suddenly we woke up to the sound of terrifying air strikes. There were moments of massive fear. The glass was falling. I immediately rushed to take my child out of her bed. Moments later, the window fell on her bed. I was so close to losing her Jesus Christ. She continues to say. All the sick children were frightened and screaming. A state of tension prevailed among all the mothers and the medical staff because of the intensity of the bombing, glass from the windows was falling and shattering. There were some windows that fell onto the beds of sick children just moments after they had been picked up, and this could have caused a catastrophe and a large number of injuries. The Godz's Ministry of Health said this is not the first time that health facilities have been targeted and it is unacceptable. These attacks not only put patience lives at risk, but they also create a sense of fear among healthcare workersats in their families. The same mother from earlier went on to say, several children have spent the night trembling in fear. Our children are poor in Gaza. They do not enjoy Ramadan or d or any other occasion. They are always threatened with fear and destruction that may come their way at any moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's We did an interview a few months ago with some young men from Gaza that we haven't put out yet, but we will, But I've spoken to them quite a few times, and I remember one of the things that they would say to me that really sort of like was very affecting for me was that like they they got they had very young boys who would come and stay and they would do parkour together, and that these eight year old boys would routinely wake up in the middle of the night screaming like like with horrible PTSD, and they think, yeah, the fucking their children, Like they shouldn't be anywhere near that stuff. And like people will talk about precision air strikes in Gaza and like it's not like even even if you manage to somehow not kill any people, then you're still going to fundamentally alter the course of someone's life in a terrible way.
Speaker 2: There was there was a study done. I'm paraphrasing it, but it basically showed that the children in Gaza are in a perpetual state of trauma like they had. They they never get over the phase where they're out of that fireflight mentality. Yeah, there's they're stunted in this the fear part of PTSD. And it's so sad because that's there, that's their reality. They've never known anything different other than fear and violence and the loss of life at any moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they can't leave right, like, it's extremely difficult, Like our friends who have tried to leave that it's taken them years of trying to leave. They can't go anywhere else. They're trapped in the most bombed place on earth, and that's the whole reality.
Speaker 2: Gaza has been referred to an open air, constant camp, like it's not just a place where people live.
Speaker 5: It's been.
Speaker 2: Just the main target of Israel for a really long time. And I always recommend this movie, but Gaza Fights for Freedom is a great movie by Abbi Martin. It's free on YouTube. I would watch it if you want some more examples of what's happening in Gaza, because it's horrific. It's a hard watch, but it's important if you want more information. In the Altafa district of Gaza City, raids were also taking place. Meshdi Abu Nima and his family woke up at three am first hold, which is the pre sunrise meal right before you fast the whole day, so they woke up at three am and then suddenly Israeli warplanes were attacking the empty land. Next to their house and this caused severe destruction to their home. Abu Nima is the father of seven children, and he told Al Jazeira it was like an earthquake. We were terrified. Immediately I rushed to my three daughter's bedroom to find my two year old daughter covered shattered window glass. I can't forget her shock, fear and her heartbeat. Everyone in the house was screaming until now. I don't understand why they bombed our area. How could an empty land be bombed without any justification. There are no resistance fighters or any military sites here. It is just an empty land between residential buildings. And there was a lot of detruction that happened. As I said, there's no excuse for it. The oldest son in this family his car was obliterated and it was his only source of income, and he told al Jazeira conditions in the Gaza Strip are unbearably difficult. The bombing came and destroyed whatever we have left. Life here has truly become hell.
Speaker 4: Jesus Christ, do you.
Speaker 2: Want to spell to any differently people? But I don't want to end this episode completely on a terrible note. I was really happy today when I woke up and my mom sent me this video of Bernie Sanders calling Israel or racist government like in those words on television, which is very very important, especially as a Jewish ally because I've said this before, but Jewish people that defend Palestine are some of the most important allies we can have, because there's no excuse for anyone to be like, you're anti Semitic, because it's not about that, it's not about religion or anything. If you're anti Zionist, you're not anti Semitic. It's very different. And so having Bernie Sanders be the one to call out Israel is very important. So I want to play that clip because he'll say it better than I can, And yeah, that's the episode.
Speaker 8: Do you think that democracy is in peril in Israel right now?
Speaker 9: I do. I am very worried about what Nyahu is doing and some of his allies in government and what may happen to the Palestinian people.
Speaker 10: And let me tell you something.
Speaker 9: I mean I haven't said this publicly, but I think the United States gives billions of dollars in aid to Israel, and I think we've to put some strings attached to that and say you cannot run a racist government. You cannot turn your back on the Two States solutions. You cannot demean the Palestinian people there. You just can't do it and then come to America and ask for money.
Speaker 8: Has the administration Have you talked to the administration about it? They've been very careful in criticism of the Nat Yahoo government.
Speaker 9: Well, I am not careful about it. I'm embarrassed that in Israel you have a government of that nature right now.
Speaker 8: And are you going to introduce something we may well yes, to try to attack strings to.
Speaker 11: Us they cannot give if you have a you know, whether it's Saudi Arabia or other authoritarian societies. If a government is acting in a racist way and they want billions of dollars from the taxpayers of the United States, I think you say, sorry, but it's not acceptable.
Speaker 9: You want our money. Fine, this is what you got to do to get it.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to what could happen here. It's still Cherene and I'm still joined with the one and only James Stout.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining me, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anytime the listeners they get what they want, you know, they demanded it, and here.
Speaker 3: We are delivery log onto the subreddit.
Speaker 2: I was interested in having someone else receive the information I had because it's really hard to do it with myself. And it's also hard not to like sound like a bored professor or something, because I just sound.
Speaker 3: Like this something I have experienced.
Speaker 4: Hear, Yeah, like a pro professor.
Speaker 3: But it's also very emotionally challenging to just be like, here some terrible fucking things that have happened again and exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you buy yourself, it's like it feels a lot heavier for some reason. Uh, And so I'm glad to have someone else on anyway, Thank you. Today I wanted to talk about something that happened seventy five years ago this month, So there's going to be some history here, but I think it's really important history, so please stay tuned if you want to learn some stuff. But seventy five years ago this month, before Israel was officially established, the Dairya scene massacre happened. This massacre was part of the Nekba, or the catastrophe, and it matters even seventy five years later, and it should always serve as a reminder of the atrocities and massacres that took place in order for a country that was already there to be stolen, renamed, terrorized, have people killed and forcibly removed from their homes, and the indigenous people were expelled from their homes and the ownership of their own land was granted someone else. And I think reminding everybody of what happened to make that happen is extremely important because we're not that far removed from that brutalization. We can say, like, oh, that was medieval times, people were different. It's like, no, that was like less than one hundred years ago.
Speaker 5: Shut up.
Speaker 2: The nakba aka the catastrophe in Arabic. It refers to the violent expulsion of approximately three quarters of all Palestinians from their homes and homeland by Zionist militias in the New Israeli Army during the State of Israel's establishment between nineteen forty seven and nineteen forty eight. The Nekabo was a deliberate and systematic act intended to establish a Jewish majority state in Palestine. Amongst themselves. Zionist leaders use the euphemism quote unquote transfer when discussing plans for what today would be called ethnic cleansing. The roots of the Nakba and the ongoing problems in Palestine and Israel today. They lie in the emergence of the political Zionism from the late eighteen hundreds, when some European Jews, influenced by the nationalism that was sweeping the continent, they decided that the solution to anti Semitism in Europe and Russia was the establishment of a state for Jews and Palestine. They began immigrating to Palestine as colonizers, where they started depossessing indigenous Muslim and Christian Palestinians. In November of nineteen forty seven, following World War II and the Holocaust, the newly created United Nations approved of a plan to divide Palestine into Jewish and Arab states against the will of the majority indigenous Palestinian Arab population. Again, this was not their decision or choice to make. Regardless, the UN approved of a plant divide Palestine into Jewish and Arab states against the will of Palestinian people. It gave fifty six percent of that land to the proposed Jewish state, despite the fact that Jews only owned about seven percent of the private land of Palestine and made up only thirty three percent of the population, and a very large percentage of this percentage of thirty three percent were recent immigrants from Europe. So handing over more than half of someone else's land truly does it make sense. I don't care what religious text or citing, it was wrong at this point in time to take that land.
Speaker 4: It was just wrong.
Speaker 2: The Palestinian Arab state was to be created on just forty two percent of Palestine, even though Muslim and Christian Palestinians made up a large majority of the population and were indigenous to all of the land. Jerusalem was to be governed by a special international administration. Almost immediately after the partition plan was passed. The expulsion of Palestinians by Zionists militias began months before the arming of neighboring Arab states began to be involved. So there was no other person to say, don't do this, or like there was no one else to fight to hold them back. I guess is what I'm trying to say. And by the time these Zionist militias and the new Israeli Army finished, the new State of Israel covered seventy eight percent of Palestine. So they did even follow the rules either. They just kept on swallowing up the land that wasn't even there to begin with, with this violent Nekba that it's just it's it's a terrible, horrific thing they did. There is a film on Netflix called Farha. It's the first film that depicts any kind of story about the Nekba, and it's by a Palestinian filmmaker. It's really powerful. I would recommend seeing that if you want an example of what happened, because it's all factual as far as like the terror that they did, so I'd recommend that film. Give it five stars for the haters, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Oh, guy, I can imagine. There were reviews just like yeah, death, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was the film that the Israeli government tried to to ban, and they were a lot of Zionists were commenting like terrible things about it and giving it one star or whatever. They want Netflix to take it off Netflix, but no, we fuck the haters. Help us out. Five stars. Put it on the background of your TV. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Just keep streaming it, keep streaming it exactly strike a blow against colonialism.
Speaker 2: But that's just an example of how important and scared they are of the truth. Because it's a movie. It's a fucking movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The control of the narrative is so important in these things, exactly. Yes, And even the way you refer to it, right, not not calling it the knock, like calling it a transfer, not a cleansing, exactly, calling it, like not referring to it in the same terms as we would do like the genocidal set of colonialism that settled this country, or you know, the way that Britain and France and Germany behaved in Africa, like trying to not like specifically opposing calling it an apartheid state, right when when that's what it is, is what it does. Like, all of those things are so important, and they might seem like petty battles, but they really control how we see things. I think when you control language, you can control how people perceive things.
Speaker 2: And I think controlling the narrative is so parallel to like controlling the history books, because that's what gets remembered by the people that want to the narrative to have a certain thing. Not all history books obviously, but a lot of the times the things that are considered facts are biased. You know, I don't know if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, you're only getting half of the things, right, or like, yeah, I mean, as a historian, we are all biased, and so we should declare our biases and sort of go forward that way, rather than presenting our biases as unbiased and neutral and then obviously creating a biased thing, which is what we tend to get in the US, especially when we look at this stuff.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, totally.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 2: I Like, I didn't bash historians, but I criticized them. But you're like, I'm an historian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will not jump to the defense of science historians I've worked with. Like, there's a chapter in my book about volunteers in the Spanish Civil War, and like about thirty percent of volunteers were Jewish people, right, and many of them had been like couldn't go back to Like there are some of them who like fought in the Spanish Civil War, were gorillas in the Second World War, survived the Holocaust in some cases, and they were anti Zionists, and so like they didn't have a place, like you know, there wasn't a place for them as people who had had stuck to their very decent principles of like you shouldn't impose shit on force for people who don't want it, and we're opposed to fascism or opposed to colonialism. There wasn't a place for them in that sort of post World War two Jewish movement, that Zionist movement. There were in other places, but yeah, it's very sad that their stories aren't like like if a friend of mine was the person who first wrote articles about them, but like their memory is completely erased, right, or at least it's not present, And then they should be people that, like any recentall person would be very proud of, right, they were willing to die for someone else's battle, and then yeah, they were kind of that they're they stuck to the same principles the whole way through it, and the world kind of moved around them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean I think as time goes on, those things won't even be existing in people's reality, you know what I mean, Like if no one remembers that that happened, if no one is part of what that happened, like it's just going to go away. It's going to disappear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why it's so important to do history and to do like to use different sources, right, and to do history from a people's perspective, not from a perspective of people who are in power.
Speaker 4: Exact history from below, that's what we call it.
Speaker 3: Say that sounds on more time if people call it history from below, but like and to look at other sources, right, like without like riding my hobby horse too much. Like I was primarily a historian of sport and anti fascism, and like specifically sport.
Speaker 4: I got a ton of pushback on when I started.
Speaker 3: Because it's not important, right, and it's not you know, it's not like fucking I don't have any charts or whatever, and like, it's actually very important to where people were able to express who they were and who was on the team and who was not on their team, right, And that's where you find these people who are very impactful lots of other areas. And I think, like if I was a younger person and I was trying to find my way from my identity and be like, hey, the signism seems wrong, like in the same way that other things seem wrong, to have those people to be like, yeah, these people also saw that, right, Like they didn't want a boot on anyone's neck, not just not I didn't want it to be their boot on someone else's neck and that was fine. You know, they like having seen the Holocausts, having seen what happened in to Spain, the like, now this shit is wrong. It's still wrong. Doesn't matter if we're doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their humanity prevailed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's important for people like to have those those stories to be like, Okay, well I'm not fucking crazy or it's not that I just don't understand what it was like back then because a lot of people could see it and we're like, no, we shouldn't be doing this.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, historian James, thank.
Speaker 4: You for jordaning me today. Sorry, no, why are you apologizing?
Speaker 5: I love that shit? Fuck No, I love it history from below.
Speaker 3: That you said, yeah's quite no theme.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good thing to abide by. So I'm glad that there's a little catchy phrase for.
Speaker 3: It, Stewart Hale and things like that. Yeah, we'll do another episode on this one day.
Speaker 5: Yes please.
Speaker 2: So, as we mentioned before, Israel stole about seventy eight percent of Palestine and then this left twenty two percent, and the twenty two percent was compromised of the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza and these regions fell under the control of Jordan Egypt, respectively. In the nineteen sixty seven war, the Israeli military occupied the West Bank, East Jerusalem, and Gaza, and Israel began colonizing them shortly afterwards. And just to give you some numbers, I think they're important sometimes just to get the context of the scale of something. But the Nekaba, by the numbers, is what I'm about to continue. Between seven hundred and fifty thousand and one million Palestinians were expelled from their homeland and they were made refugees by Zionist militias, amounting to approximately seventy five percent of all Palestinians. Between two hundred and fifty thousand and three hundred fifty thousand Palestinians were driven out from their homes by Zionist militias between the passage of the UN Partition Plan on November twenty ninth of nineteen forty seven and the establishment of Israel on May fifteenth of nineteen forty eight. Prior to the outbreak of war with the neighboring Arab States, several dozen massacres of Palestinians were carried out by Zionist militias and the Israeli Army, which played a critical role in prompting the flight of many Palestinians from their homes. More than one hundred Palestinians, including dozens of children, women, and elderly people, were massacred in the Palestinian town of Dariusne near Jerusalem on April ninth of nineteen forty eight by Zionist militia. This is the main massacre I want to talk about today because it's been exactly seventy five years on April ninth. But it was one of many massacres, and it was the one that is cited as igniting a lot of the Codomino effect. The massacre at Daria Scene was one of the worst atrocities committed during the Nakba and a pivotal moment in Israel's establishment as a Jewish majority state, and again it triggered the flight of Palestinians from their homes in Jerusalem and beyond. The Dariacene massacre is commemorated annually by Palestinians around the world. Approximately one hundred and fifty thousand Palestinians remained inside what became Israel's borders in nineteen forty eight, a quarter of them internally displaced. These Palestinians, who are sometimes referred to as Israeli Arabs, were granted Israeli citizenship, but stripped of most of their land and governed by violent, undemocratic military rule as of nineteen sixty six. As of twenty twenty three, there are more than two million Palestinians with Israeli citizenship, comprising more than twenty percent of Israel's population, and they are forced to live as second class citizens in their own homeland, subject to dozens of laws that discriminate against them in almost every aspect of life because they're not Jewish. Let's take our first break here, and I'll come back and tell you more terrible things. So herepe, Okay, we're back. I'm going to finish up a little bit more of these numbers, and then I'm going to talk about Daryasin. More than four hundred Palestinian cities and towns were systematically destroyed by Zionist militias and the New Israeli Army, or they are repopulated with Jews. Between nineteen forty eight and nineteen fifty, most Palestinian communities, including homes businesses, houses of worship, vi urban centers. They were destroyed to prevent the return of their Palestinian owners, who are now refugees outside of Israel's borders, or they were internally displaced inside them. Today there are more than seven point two million Elstinian refugees, including Neckbus survivors and their descendants. They're located mostly in the occupied West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza and neighboring Arab countries such as Lebanon, Jordan, and Syria, and they're denied their internationally recognized legal right to return to their homeland. This is the last big number I want to say, just because I think it's it's so big I had to say it. Approximately four million, two hundred and forty four thousand, seven hundred and seventy six acres of Palestinian land was stolen by Israel during and immediately after the establishment of the state in nineteen forty eight. Millions of acres. Like it's not just a tiny little place that no one was in before, like noe, millions of acres of land were forcibly stolen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, and all of them like land that people have had for generations, that they've farmed Like this is like it's not the oldest settlement on earth, but people have been living here for tenth thousands of years.
Speaker 2: I said, Aluxey Yesterday was built in ten thirty five.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, this shit is very old and like sometimes the same people or people's sort of family. It's not just a like loss of property, so lots of everything that's sacred and like the Aluxa Mosque or these things that are sacred and important to you, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, and so more it's what you said earlier. It's like we have to remember these things because otherwise they'll get forgotten the in whoever's recording the history, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like it's yeah, I mean they have been here. Right when we look at how America sees itself, it sees the land that it expanded into, it's like terrannualius, like like empty land that was unoccupied, which it was not. There was not a wilderness to tame. Like there were people living here and they were living very happily, and they were living they weren't like I don't want to do the whole like like in commune with nature thing, but like this wasn't a wild and savage place, right, there were people existing here and taking from the land and living on the land, and like we that just doesn't get fucking like Ruth Bader Ginsburg was citing the doctrine of discovery, you know, like you all the Libs love Ruth Bada Ginswick, but like it's so subsumed into what America is that Like like Obama did a fucking tweet like this nation was built on peaceful protest. It was built on fucking genocide, Like fuck off, yeah, but we've allowed that to just go completely forgotten, right, Like you don't go to school in California and be like, oh, there is a fucking unit they just changed. Actually there was a Unipero Hessea High School, and like this is a person who did genocide. Like we wouldn't have a fucking Gerbels High School in Germany, you know.
Speaker 4: And then Britain does a shit too.
Speaker 3: I'm not not like, yeah, I'm in a glasshouse, so I don't say that, but yeah, we we this wasn't an empty place.
Speaker 2: And it's really important to remember that because that is so often the talking twenty of fucking stupid people that try to defend what Israel is doing. Let's go to now the main massacre or topic I want to talk about today, which happened on April ninth in nineteen forty eight, just weeks before the creation of the State of Israel, when members of the Urgun and stern Gang Zionist militias attacked the village of Dryasin and they killed at least one hundred and seven Palestinians. Zionist militias tore through Palestinian villages, massacring villagers and expelling those who remained alive to clear the way for the creation of the State of Israel. And this was one of the many massacres that happened during the Nekba, where again an estimated fifteen thousand Palestinians were killed and some seven hundred and fifty thousand fled their homes as refugees, ignited a very terrifying domino effect. This year, the UN will host its first ever high level event to commemorate this forced displacement that resulted in the establishment of the State of Israel in May nineteen forty So this is the first time ever that the U one has recognized that the Nekba even happened, or like is it happened enough to mention it and commemorate it. But Palestinians have never ceased to commemorate the loss of each village that was once part of their homeland. Among them was Daria Scene, and it was a village perched on a hill west of Jerusalem. And this massacre has become emblematic of the suffering that Israel would inflict on the Palestinians. Many of the people slaughtered, from those who were tied to trees and burned to death to those lined up against a wall and shot by submachine guns. Many of these people were women, children, and the elderly, and Fudaw does a really good job of showing this lack of discrimination of life in general in that movie that I mentioned earlier. As the news of these atrocities spread, thousands fled their villages in fear. So again on April ninth and nineteen forty eight, the Israeli militia struck Daria Scene, where about seven hundred Palestinian lived. According to the Israeli narrative, operation Nashon and Ahhson apologies if I mispronounce that, but this operation aimed to break through the blockaded road to Jerusalem and the fighters encountered stiff resistance from the villagers that forced them to advance slowly from house to house. It's kind of silly and strange how the same excuse is being used, like a century later to justify acts of terror. They're saying that villagers resisted them and that's why they butchered them.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, it's it's it's pathetic. It's stupid and pathetic.
Speaker 3: And like, yeah, for having the I don't know, temerity to be like no, you can't take my home. Yeah, they carried out a collective punishment on Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's the Israeli narrative. That's what their history books say, is that this was the aim of this operation. They were simply encountering the stiff resistance and they had to go from house to house like that's it's just a fucked up narrative. But Palestinians and some Israeli historians say that the villagers had signed a non aggression agreement with the Haganah, which was the pre Israeli state Zionist army. They were nevertheless murdered in cold blood and buried in mass graves. According to a nineteen forty eight report, filed by the British Delegation to the UN. The killing of quote some two hundred and fifty Arabs men, women and children took place in circumstances of great savagery. Women and children were stripped, lined up, photographed, and then slaughtered by automatic firing. Those who were taken prisoners were treated with degrading brutality. This is from a nineteen forty eight report filed by the British delegation.
Speaker 5: Like it's in the.
Speaker 3: Record, weren't they both like the stern going and the whatever the militia was called the begin was in It's like I said, l I think were like they hadn't really done any military operations before, right that they'd just been just like bomb like they did car bombs and shit favious to this, Like the British had already like like that. They were like they were killing British people and I guess Arab people in Palestine before this.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I mean the escalation in violence was like pretty severe, right, but I think they would have gone there eventually, you know, there's kind of hit forward.
Speaker 3: I think they'd already like established an intention or like a willingness to kill just about anyone who got in their way, right, and they wanted to show that they were like unlike the like I guess, like the labor aligned Zionist movement, that they were like more hardcore than that, and they exactly like. That's why they made a spectacle of violence like this.
Speaker 2: They're establishing their their power and dominance right. Israeli historian Benny Morris said that the militias quote ransacked unscrupulously, stole money and jewels from the survivors, and earned the bodies. Even dismemberment and rape occurred. I mean, there's nothing to say to that. The number of dead is disputed, but it ranges from one hundred to two hundred and fifty. A representative of the Red Cross who entered Darya scene on April eleventh. Two days later, they reported seeing the bodies of some one hundred and fifty people heaped haphazardly in a cave, while around fifty were amassed in a separate location. Prominent Jewish intellectual Martin Buber wrote at the time that such events had been quote unquote infamous. In Darya scene, hundreds of innocent men, women and children were massacred. He said, let the village remain uninhabited for the time being. Let its desolation be a terrible and tragic symbol of war and a warning to our people that no practical military needs may ever justify such acts of murder. He also noted that Darya scene had a profound demographic and political effect. He's referring to the fact that the news of his masacre spread and it prompted hundreds of Palestinians to flee their homes. Four nearby villages were next Pilunia, Cyrus, bit Saruk and Bidu. Daria scene was no mistake, according to Israeli historian Elain Pape. Iline Pape has been called a Israeli quote unquote revisionist historian because he tells the truth, the actual truth of what happened in their history.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the concept of Vision's history is nonsense. Like it suggests that like there is a settled history at some point, which that's not right. Like we're always looking at sources again, but was looking for new sources, different perspectives. It's not like there is like this monolith of history and then some meddling bussard comes and chops it down. It's fundamentally like misunderstanding how history is done. Yes, why shouldn't pay attention to Malcolm Gladwell for that and many other reasons, But yeah, it's a ridiculous idea. He's not Like it's not like everyone was like, oh yeah, this wasn't a bad thing, and then he came along and like injected some kind of political animists in his history. He came along and looked at maybe news sources, maybe the same sources of people. How I don't know, And it was like, now, you guys, have you got this wrong? You called this wrong? But that's what historians do. Like you can't fucking write your PhD without disagreeing with someone and doing some new history. Like that's what takes you from a master's to a doctorate. And like you're supposed to do three articles in a book to get tenure. Like your articles can't just be like, yeah, we pretty much called this one right the first time, you know, Like the process of doing history is to revise and hope to better understand things from different perspectives. Totally.
Speaker 2: I like that that's the point of history is to revise, Because you're right, and I just think it's it's so discrediting of his work.
Speaker 3: To call him a.
Speaker 2: Revisionist historian, Yeah, it's condescending, you know, and as someone that interviewed him called him this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean hopefully he gave them both barrels because it's it's kind of a ridiculous. Yeah, it shows that they fundamentally unqualified to be discussing the topic.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to talk about what he said, but I realized that I didn't take the last break, and I want to right now, and that.
Speaker 4: Is my choice. So Okay, Satan, proud of you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and we're back. We're talking about Ellen Pepe a revisionist quoe unquote historian, but not really. You know, he was called that because he was talking about Israel the way it should be talked about, with actual historical facts. In one of his writings, Pape wrote depopulating Palestine was not a consequential war event, but a carefully planned strategy otherwise known as Plan Dalette, which was authorized by the Israeli leader Ben Gurion in March of nineteen forty eight. Operation Nashan was in fact the first step in the plan, and as I said, the massacre unleashed a cycle of violence and counter violence that has been the pattern of since this happened, Jewish forces have regarded any Palestinian village as an enemy state or a military base, and this has paved the way for this blurred distinction between massacring civilians and killing combatants. According to the historian, so what does all of this say about Israel's vision today? This is why I want to talk about this is because this started this whole cycle of violence that we still see perpetuated today. And it's why Palestinians refuse to forget it and forget what happened, and they'll always talk about Palestine because they don't want to be erased from history books. Dariasne has become a powerful symbol of Palestinian dispossession as well as a historical fact Israel must confront when retelling its national narrative. According to Pepe, given that terrorism is a mode of behavior that Israeli's attribute solely to the Palestinian resistance movement, it could not be a part of any analysis or description of chapters in Israel's pace, asked. One way out of this conundrum, he says, was to accredit a particular political group, preferably an extremist one with the same attributes of the enemy, thus exonerating mainstream national behavior. Israeli historians as well as Israeli society. They've only been able to admit to the massacre and Daria scene by attributing it to the right wing group Irgun, but have covered up or denied the other massacres, notably the one in Tantura in nineteen forty eight. This was carried out by the Huganah, the main Jewish militia from which the current day Israeli military has evolved from. And despite this shift of blame, leading human rights organizations like Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have labeled Israel itself in a part heid state.
Speaker 3: I've just seen the worst ever op ed in the Jerusalem Post about now what tell me it's about this, but it's about like the Knakba, Like it contains like this kind of narrative that like, oh, well, the Knackbo was who was coined by by like historians to like explain the failure of the Palestinians to defend themselves, which is like a what does that fucking matter? And be like what are you saying? Like well, like that contains within it the nonation that they would have to defend themselves from someone who was that how and then like like going back and forth on the number of people killed, like which you know, the low estimates are as low as like one hundred and seven highest winths in the two hundred and fifties based on claims that the militias themselves made. Right, So like again, what it is it cool to kill like one hundred people but two hundred and fifty people's like, you know, we should step in there, And just like I was just checking the author's affiliation because that's always fun, and he's a research for the Menachen Beigine Heritage Center. I may have pronounced that incorrectly, But when the organization you work for is is a memorializing heritage of one of the dudes who led the massacre, you might want to like to step aside from I mean or not right or just shut up, just dive the fuck in. But like you are flying your flag as a fairly part. It's like I said, right, all historians are bias. But yes, when like you know, if if I work at the Colonel Custer Heritage Center, like please take my account of the United States, like violent assault on the Lakota people with a pinch of salt, because like, I'm coming at this from a certain perspective, and yeah, here we are at twenty twenty three, still still doing the doing the thing where we were, rather than just like taking the l and just being like oo, like it's bad actually to rape and mutilate and murder people trying to trying to equivocate.
Speaker 2: It's funny you mentioned articles though, because I just saw one when I was researching for Aloxa yesterday of this Israeli car that admitted that the videos he saw was a bad.
Speaker 5: Look like that's what he said.
Speaker 3: It was just like good Cup, Yeah, And the course of solution site is to not allow people to take videos of you brutal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah that's the yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Tim Apple known anti cup, Yeah, anarchist.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: Human Rights Watch and Amiasty International have labeled Israel as an apartheid state, and Human Rights Watch said in twenty twenty one, we reached this determination based on our documentation of an overarching government policy to maintain the domination by Jewish Israeli's over Palestinians. As recognition grows that these crimes are being committed, the failure to recognize that reality requires burying your head deeper and deeper into the sand.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: Apartheid is not a hypothetical or future scenario, and I apartheid is a very light word to use, but I did want to just mention that they an organization, so that not just like I don't know, there's it's officially on paper that Israel sucks, Like why are we still defending it? I'm just like, go rewatch the Bernie Sanders video from yesterday, like or audio, because there's no reason we should be funneling any kind of support into that country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean it. It's mad. We still made a lot of money selling weapons to Israel, but it used against like and a Robert and I pursued a public records request for going on two years for like these batteries that launch hundreds and hundreds of smoke grenades and flash bangs that a US company is selling to Israel, Right, yeah, like it's great they can fire them into a masque.
Speaker 2: I mean not surprising.
Speaker 3: No, it's just annoying. Annoying the wrong word. But like, yeah, there are people who make a lot of money every time things get more violent there, right, And people who are very invested in that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and yeah, that's gooulish as fuck.
Speaker 2: It is, And that's actually all I have. That's a good good place to end if any But I hope you learned something if you didn't know something in this episode, and I hope you go watch Futterha or God's Fights for Freedom. I don't think this is history that should ever be understated or forgotten, so I'm always more than happy to talk about it, even if it's depressing. So thank you for joining me today, James.
Speaker 4: It's okay, it's been very uplifting.
Speaker 3: I don't be all right. It's important. It's it's very important. Hopefully one day we'll have the PK Gaza episode.
Speaker 2: Yes, that'll be great.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess if you're in the UK and have old copies of Men's Health, you can read about young people doing parkering Gaza. It's pretty heavy. I will have another story about that soon.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Where should people? I think a good thing. Maybe if we could end on like where, where is a good place to find new about Palestine?
Speaker 2: I really like El Jazeera, especially their opinion pieces are pretty good because a lot of the times they're written by people that are really passionate about what they're writing. I think following actual Palestinians on social media is always a good call. Like hummedal Kurd is one of the most prominent voices recently that has been uplifted, and I would follow his social media as his sister has one as well. His family's house was basically we had the threat of being demolished last year. His house was in Schech if you remembered any of that stuff from last year with the violence going on there. I also really like Sobhitaha. He's on Instagram mostly and he has a podcast now. I would highly recommend following his stuff. He is so informed and so uh just easy to understand too, So I would watch that And yeah, hummedal Kurt actually was on some news program like like Face the Nation or no, maybe not that, but he was on recently like basically handing the asses of the people that were talking to him about Israel and Palestine. Is that the right way to say that.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He was just saying he was he was not willing to be talked over and whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which I like, Yeah, he shouldn't be. My friend Hossam is a photographer in Palestine. Most of those Alda Zerra pieces you'll see are his photographs. Actually, well Sam Salem g He's photograph we've worked together before. But yeah, if you if you're a person who'd like to see pictures, his pictures are very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point too. Also, there are a lot of accounts that are solely about Palestine, and a lot of these Palestine activists follow them and share them, so you will find more organizations by following them. There is I for Palestine, there's I think it's like land Palestine. Like I think there's a lot of really trusted accounts on the Internet. You have to find the ones that are trusted, and a lot of times it's stuff from the ground and that's the stuff that needs to be seen and shared. Because if there's going to be any upside to fucking internet and social media, it has to be to spread stuff like this around and make sure people know about it.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it gives us a way to like get underneath that like hegemonic narrative and see what happens to real people every day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's that's all, okay, whatever, that's the episode by.
Speaker 10: Hey and welcome to another episode of It Could Happen here with me Andrew of the YouTube channel Andrews and I'm joined today by It's me.
Speaker 3: It's just James today, Just James. That's like a cringe from the nineties.
Speaker 10: Really, I was not aware, just sort of curiosity. James, do you play any Paradox Games?
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 3: I don't think a type of computer game.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, that was well, it's like a game development company, and also they also distribute games as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, you've hit an area about which I have very little knowledge in.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and by the way, this isn't sponsored, it's just uh, it's how I ended up stumbling upon this topic. Right, Okay, so just you know, hearing me for a second year. So where the Paradox Games is Crusader Kings three?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm already infitted to see where this goes.
Speaker 10: So, yes, it's a medieval grand strategy game. It's sort of like it's it's a combination of like those classic sort of well grand strategy games I know, also a bit of sims flail. You're playing as a character and you're also playing as that character's dynasty, so you'll be fit. You play as the grandfather, and then the father, and then the son, and then the grandson, and so on and so forth, and so I actually, if you can't tell, I play the game sometimes a little bit too much, but I appreciate the role playing. The setting a set between either eight sixty seven or ten sixty six and fourteen fifty three, which is considered the end of the medieval era due to fall of Constantinople to the Ottomans. Yeah, so you know, at a certain point and playing the game, after I've played in pretty much every corner of the map, I was looking for a new religious movement to spread across the map for fun. Of course, this is something I do with my free time. And I started reading about all these different strands of Islam that they have in the game, like the Commasians and the Ebadis and the Sufreez. Yeah, and that led me to stumble across the move Tasialism and the Naja Dad. And please bailed me with the pronunciations of everything about to pronouncing this episode, but move Tassilism and the Naja Dad. I started digging into this stuff and that led me to make the decision to talk about what I've been learning before I begin. I know, even the idea of religious anarchisms is somewhat controversial, particularly they describe and see between the anarchist slogan of no gods, no masters, and of course the history of various faith based class struggles. MY stance on it is complicated, But whatever my stances, I don't think we could deny the reality that religious anarchisms have existed in the past and still exists today.
Speaker 3: Now I'm really interested in this, I'm I'm just I'm working on a book at the minute about anarchists at war or I guess how anarchism meets war, and people variously sort of defining out anarchism narrowly and widely. I grew up in the early two thousands, I guess, with like the kind of new anarchists, as Greber called it, and they were always amongst that broader movement opposed to like neoliberal globalization. There were always religious people, and I'm not a religious person, And I went to a school where there was a priest, and the priest had been a member of the anti apartheid movement in South Africa and was wanted there and had left for doing violence to get which, like it's pretty based and so like I have a lot of time for a lot of religious people, it's always been kind of an area of I guess interest to me this like religious anarchisms.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it certainly it has a very eventful history. Yeah, so I wanted to talk a bit about the rather interesting history of just one tradition. Although the whole thing about the anarchism and I'm going to be discussing is that I wouldn't really call it anarchism, not at least not by our standards. Yeah, it's more of a distinct and notable resistance to centralized authority or a minimization and decentralization of that authority. I think it's morek into like a mini archism than an actual anarchism. Sure, right, but it's still interesting to see I guess, the seeds of anti authoritarianism through history.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 10: So these particular movements, they have a sort of an anti Khalif, Khalif being the religious leader in Islam, they have a kind of an anti Khalif action that expanded into a broader philosophical and political conclusions. So we can start in the city of Basra in Iraq in the eight hundreds, where a discussion was taking place recording how the Uma or Islamic community should respond to a leader of the Abbasid Caliphate would become corrupt and tyrannical. Now, the two me and stream opinions were that of the activists who believed in stage in a violent revolution to install a new legitimate leader, and the quietists who believed impatiently perseverant under tyranny or passively resistant. It's funny how we see these kind of ideas about change rearing their heads again and again and again throughout history, despite various different contexts. The other people who were like, yeah, let's go get it, and the other people who are like, yeah, let's rock back a little bit and take things with more passively. So that's interesting right now. Abubaka, the guy who was the first caliph, he made it clear in his inauguration that obedience is not incumbent upon his followers if he contradicts the will of Allah. And for those who don't know, Allah is God in the Islamic religion. And yet the dominant position in Islam has been the quietest position even to this day, the activist position is less popular. Some would say some people have this idea that the only manifestation of Islam can be the unseen in the autocracies of Western Asia and the Arabian Peninsula. But even back in Islam's Heidi, there were Muslims willing to resist the tyrannical control of even religiously or ordained rulers. So back to Bastra in the eight hundreds, there was also a third category of solutions proposed, which we can call anarchists in the general sense, but not really in the actual sense. Most of the Muslim anarchists believe that society could function without the caliph. They proposed a kind of evolutionary anarchism where private property was not abolished per se, but because the ruler was considered illegitimate, the titles of property the ruler granted would also be considered illegitimate. They also argue that the caliph must be agreed upon by the entire community, which is no easy task considering how Islam divided between Sunnis and Shia's almost immediately after the prophet Muhammad died. However, without this consensus, no logismate clief could exist, and it was widely accepted that a lot did not impose obligations that were impossible to fulfill. So then it was reason that then there was really no obligation to establish legitimate clief if no consensus could be found, there's a little loopool. Basically, we need full consensus. We're never gonna get full consensus. Oh well, shrug, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah.
Speaker 10: And then in the time, in the contextbe this is, you know, medieval times, you're seeing a lot more. You're seeing several different political configurations and formations and ways of organizing society. So some of them at the time, we were seeing their neighbors, the Bedwinds, and the bed Winds were living without rulers like normal. So they were like, well, why can't we live without rulers like normal? And so they use that as a justification as well. And so they also had many proposed ranging from a radical decentralization of public authority to a complete disillusion of public authority. One particular genre proposals involved replacing the calief with elected officials, either completely independent of each other or join together in a federation, and these elected officials would be temporary and only remain in office when legal disputes arose or when an enemy invaded. When the problem was resolved, they would lose their position and society would return to quote unquote anarchy. There was even a minority sect which calls for the complete abolition of the state, called it Nashda, and they argue that if there wasn't sufficient agreement establish this in a clief, there can never be enough to establish law at all. They wanted not just political independence, but intellectual independence, because according to them, individuals should be able to reason for themselves and have no one above them but Allah. Basically the religious anarchist slogan one God, no masters.
Speaker 12: Yeah, right, but we'll get a twisted of course, all this radical stuff apply to them within their group alone, So if you weren't part of their group, you could still be enslaved or killed.
Speaker 10: So it's kind of a selective, yeah, it's a bit selective in their freedom mindedness. Then in eight seventeen, so a couple of years later, the center of religious power and the Muslim world collapsed with the fall of Baghdad. The chaos of civil war ensued, but in the absence of public authority, they would naturally emerge an order out of the chaos without central planet. As we've seen it again and again and again throughout history, people self organized to protect themselves and their positions collectively in times of natural disaster, in times of crisis, people come together without having a state, having without a state having to organize them and tell them what to do and how to do it. Yeah, such has been the case for centuries. And speaking of centuries, we're going to jump ahead a little bit to the twelfth century where we could see a sort of a pseudo nihilist anarchist movement called the Kalandaria, a movement of wandering ascetic Sufi dervishes from Andalusia and Spain to Iran, Central Asia, India, and Pakistan. Many of the Khalandaria had body persons and tattoos, in explicit defiance of Islamic traditions that regarded such practices as haram. Here's a bit of an interesting story. One of the earlier divisions of the Malatimir was once being followed by a crowd of admirers, and in reaction to their praise, he paused, pulled out his pep and urinated on the ground. Is a sort of a ratic It's almost like what seems like Greek guy.
Speaker 3: Oh, the one who like dies because of the d diogenies, right, so he kind kind kind of like a Muslim.
Speaker 10: Dirogenis a sort of a rejection of society and rejection of its values. As a lot of people, a lot of these divisies, they choose voluntary poverty and nudism as a lifestyle. They were reject civilization. They would have a sort of an active nihilism and director of society. One of them has been quoted in saying an effect that money is well. I don't know if I could say that before he crossed that out. I think we I think we get, we get the get the idea of course, again not really anarchism in the classical sense, so in an actual sense, but manifestation of one trend within or one streak within an anarchist movement. Steak jumphead against the nineteenth century. Now with perhaps the first anarchist to convert to Islam, Ivan Aguelli born in Sweden in eighteen sixty nine. Aguilli was interested in philosophy, spirituality, ideology and literature, and he explored new ideas ravenously. He joined the Theosophical Society in France and he met anarchist philosopher Peter Kropotkin in London in eighteen ninety one. He also began reading the Quran around in eighteen ninety two and invited Islam in eighteen ninety seven. And GWELLI wrote about Islam and anarchism fairly frequently, but he didn't really connect them together. However, there was another one, another anarchist to convinced Islam, Isabelle Everhart. She Grubb in Geneva and converted to Islam around eighteen ninety six or ninety seven, and she challenged both Eastern and Western norms through her writings and practice practice, pursuing a nomadic lifestyle in Nigeria, joining a Sufi order and expressing her unconventional spirit by dressing as a male when she felt like, taking on a male name, and pursuing a lifestyle of purported promiscuity, journalism, smoking kief, and journeying across the North African desert by horse. I think she would also be considered a figure of queer anarchist history. I wasn't able to find anything about how she identified personally, but apparently so. I don't know if she was a cross dresser or if she was tramps or something else entirely.
Speaker 3: Right, Like you get especially in that period, like like misogyny is is so rampant that like it could be necessary to like, I guess, to present as male even if you weren't like trans in you and gender identity, just to have access to things that were constrained I don't know, like delimited as mets.
Speaker 4: Rightly, Yeah, exactly makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I think it's why it's to just be like, we don't know, rather than to necessarily like like claim to someone's identity stuff when what we know is their presentation stuff.
Speaker 10: Agreed. Also, during this time in the Ottoman Empire, there was a not insignificant population of European anarchists, mostly Italians, you know. Alexandria alone, there were approximately twelve thousand Italians living and working, often in the building sector. By eighteen seventy six anarchists they had organized a branch of the Cyndicalist International Workers Association, and in the early eighteen hundreds at Coomara, Testa and other Italian anarchists joined the Urabia Prize in against the British, and this was perhaps the first time that Muslims anarchists fought a military campaign side by side other uprising was squashed. Anarchists were less harassed in the Ottoman Empire than in many other parts of Europe. Later on, in nineteen oh one, anarchists co founded a free popular university, the University Popularity Libre or UPL, in Alexandria. It provided free courses on subjects like tool stories and Cunan's ideas, the arts, pragmatic topics like working negotiation strategies, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. However, common if you were indigenous to the region, tough luck indigenous muslim and indigenous Muslims and Arabic speakers went really part of the upls program went't really included pretty much marginalized from the education entirely, and the UPL crash became more and more aimed toward and controlled by upper class interests. So that sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a fair yeah, lame.
Speaker 10: Very lame. Yeah, a lot of disappointments in this episode, people who are like nearly there and then kind of there of course. Yeah, but that's that's that's part of history, right, jumping head even more in the twentieth century. We got to see the fall of the Caliphate in nineteen twenty four and the two new influential currents of Salafiism or Slafism, the Muslim Brotherhood which is known for their social democratic lenans, and the Saudis, who are known for their monarchic venus.
Speaker 4: To put it likely, Yeah, that's even so.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they as possible yea, yeah, I mean we even so late on a sort of an Islamic liberation theology developing that dismissed bin Ladin and senseless and lifted up the examples of the revolutionary Barbie movement of the eighteen hundreds, Malcolm X and Ali Shariati's quest for a just and classless society. Then there's also a neo Sufi group known as the Murabhutin, the Mura Bhutun and the Inclusive Mosque Initiative in London as other examples of you know, how Islam could be used to resist some Islamic traditions. And there are also several individuals today who have explicitly and publicly self identified as Muslim anarchists, not Muslim and anarchists, but specifically Muslim anarchists, including Ab dinner Pradu and Mohammad jan Venus.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 10: That's a sort of a basic rundown. But I think inevitably with these sort of topics you sort of fraught ideas, something like an Islamic anarchism, they're going to be some challenges and criticisms, right, Yeah, I'd like for one, you know, it's a fairly new concept, the idea of Islamic anarchism. Like I went over, there were certain trends that can be described as an archic, iphibian, generous, but the idea of Islamic anarchism as the something going out of after development of anarchism and through anarchism as a political philosophy, it's fairly new and it challenges a lot of the traditional Islamic teachings on authority and governance. So some scholars practitioners have pointed out that with the emphasis of social order, the emphasis of authority of the state in the role of law, this idea of rejecting hierarchy and authority as advocated by Islamic anarchists is you know, heretical practically. There's also some criticism that with Islamic anarchisms rejection of all forms of authority in hierarchy, it undermines the concept of tweed, which is the belief in the oneness of God, and by you know, rejecting that by undermining that concept and promoting individualism and self rule, it sort of goes against that teaching. Of course, like I mentioned earlier, there's also this challenge to the idea that Islamic anarchism or Islamic anarchism could be compatible because of the slogan and no cause, no masters right. Of course, Islamic anarchists and other Islamic socialists would argue that Islam should be seen as a liberating force that can help individuals achieve freedom from a Prussian exploitation. The same argument is made with a lot of other strands of religious anarchisms as well, and so to bring things to a sort of a close, I'd say that, you know, like every religious anarchism, like every political philosophy, like every religion, like everything, Honestly, people pick and choose, you know, in Islam you can find elements of quietism as well as activism detached to mysticism, as well as pragmatic daily concerns, traditions of violence, and traditions of non violence, moderation, and extremism. In anarchism, tensions exist between pacifism and insurrectionism, cyndicalism and individualism, nationalism and anti nationalism, collectivism and individualism. Again, and I'm not a Muslim, I'm not a religious anarchist of any variety.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 10: I think that there is room for even if I may not agree with it in all cases the conclusions some people draw. I think there's room for these sorts of dialogues to be had. I think there's room for exploration to the history of all sorts of historical movements and ideologies and religions and ideas, because I mean, there's a whole legacy of billions of people who have lived and died long before us, and I think I find it interesting, at least as a thought exercise, to see how they came to their conclusions as well. So I hope this episode was thought provoking, enlightening and interesting to those who tuned in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 3: It's always interesting to see these Yeah, like, we don't have to agree with all of it, but it's interesting to see where people come at these things from. It was I was wondering if you were going to get to or not. But like one of the things that you saw in the Spanish like not really the Civil War as much, but in the Second Republic was the socialists and like left liberals explicitly selling out like Moroccan Muslim people and North African people more generally whatever their faith, and anarchists being like, no, we should express solidarity with these people, like even if we if they are aren't and some of them were part of like they were anarchists in Spanish North Africa of course, but like even if they weren't, being like, we should oppose colonialism, and when every other kind of left stripe didn't, it's kind of one of the failing sort of public not to So, yeah, they've been these conversations, I guess for a long time. Like it was interesting to hear about those Sufi's in Spain and think about how long those conversations have been going back and forth, you.
Speaker 10: Know, exactly exactly. I think the whole Iberian Peninsula's really interesting reachion in terms of the confluence of cultures. I did miss that particular historical instance in my research with also pointing it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no worries big Nerd for that stuff.
Speaker 3: Is there anything you'd like to plug before we get Andrew.
Speaker 10: Sure, sure, so. You can find me on YouTube at andrewism, on patreon dot com slash Saint Drew, and I've logged off of Twitter, but if you want to get updates when I do decide to log in to post updates here and there, you could follow me on Twitter at underscore. Thank you, Andrew, Take care everyone.
Speaker 1: Peace, Oh boy, Welcome to It could happen here a podcast about things falling apart and sometimes stuff that's less depressing than that. This is gonna be a mix of both of those things. I'm Robert Evans. My co hosts for today are James Stout and Mia Wong. How are we both? How are we all? How's everybody? How's everybody feeling?
Speaker 3: I'm anticipating eagerly the topic of today's episode, so I'm excited like a kid Christmas. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, James, that answers my question for you. But Mia, have you ever heard of Lord Miles Rutledge.
Speaker 5: I have seen him on Twitter and I cannot express how excited I am for this.
Speaker 1: So we are talking about a real piece of shit today. This is kind of relevant to our I try to always justify you know, our purview is broadly speaking, collapse, you know, what we call the crumbles, and Miles Rutledge is a perfect example of the kind of grifters and conmen who sort of sort of seep in at the edges of war and disaster and calamity and have for forever, you know, they're in behind the bastards. We've done a couple episodes on like different white people who tried at various points to like conquer Latin American nations, and like the seventeen and eighteen hundreds, just kind of during these periods of there would be a bunch of rebellions going on, and so like some group of mercenaries would be like, I bet we can like steal Nicaragua, right, let's Goways wear the shot. You know, you get these kind of like these kind of people, and Lord Myles Rutledge is sort of the lower body count end of that, but in some ways a lot more frustrating because at least, look, there's there's something respectable about trying to violently conquer another country and then getting murdered yourself. There's at least like a a degree of honesty there. This guy, Miles Rutledge is like purely but like doing war tourism in order to like pump his his TikTok and his Instagram and his YouTube. And I find that worse than like, I don't know those guys who tried to overthrow Venezuela and got captured by fishermen. So they were great, yeah, and then laid in their own piss on camera. Beautiful story, perfect story, took a b begun with them, Such a good story. And this one has a similar this story, thankfully, Miles the story has has a is an ending almost that satisfying. So Miles Rutledge was born on James. Actually, I'm gonna I'm gonna bring you in for a second. How do I spell this last name? R o U T l E d g E. He's British age.
Speaker 3: Routledge believe if it's the same as the academic publisher, which which is spelled the same, and then it's Routledge. And look, I don't give a fuck about scary field. Sad to say, have we won?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, So Miles Routledge was born on September fourteenth, nineteen ninety nine, probably somewhere near Birmingham. I don't think we have, like like it's just kind of based on shit, he said. But yeah, I don't see why he'd probably he'd lie about that. I don't think people brag about coming from Birmingham.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So unfortunately, thanks to generations of medical advancements, he survived to adulthood. Because he does strike me as the kind of person who wouldn't have done that in like the eighteen hundreds, he got into the University of I'm gonna need your help here again, James.
Speaker 4: Lowborough, Luffborough, Luffbrough.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable. That sounds like an incredibly obscure World War two German aerial division or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's like the very Broie section of the So he gets into the University of luft bro as a fucking physics student, or so he says, and sometime within the last two years he got an internship at an investment banking firm.
Speaker 3: So the guy a kind of guy.
Speaker 1: He's laser targeted on a career as a giant piece of shit. But I haven't found much in my casual research about his financial situation or how much money he was born into. But I think he was like, I'm gonna guess his parents were at least comfortable because, as a young man still in college, he had the funds to travel pretty extensively, starting in twenty nineteen when he visited the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone. Now, this is one of the most popular destinations in the world for what is called dark tourism, and this is largely this is people who live kind of boring lives otherwise traveling to places that sound scary in order to impress people on like the TikTok or whatever. Now I just said that, but I don't think there's anything wrong. Now, there's like a lot of problems with getting to Chernobyle because of the war, but like prior to the expand innovation, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to like see Chernobyle. My thinking on like the ethics of going somewhere dangerous or whatever is like, are you increasing the odds of like causing a problem that diverts medical resources or other resources in a way that like harms people who have no choice in being there? Right, and visiting Chernobyl whatever, You're not really putting anyone at risk, So that's fine. But in may of twenty twenty one, though Miles Rutledge made the decision to plan a trip to somewhere that it was distinctly not fine to visit as a tourist, Afghanistan. Now, he decided to head over there during kind of the end stages of the war. Although if you guys can remember back that far, the collapse of the Afghan government that the United States had backed happened more rapidly than most people had predicted, so it was kind of like less clear I think when he booked his trip that thinks we're going to fall apart quite that quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, humor to feel the same way about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So yeah, it's one of those things where like Miles, you know, his plan to go there was again not as like he's not heading there as a journalist. There's not like a story he wants to tell. He's not traveling there for kind of a practical purpose, Like he really does frame this as just he wanted to go on vacation, and he wanted to go on vacation specifically for what I think is probably like the dumbest reason I've ever heard of anyone choosing of a vacation location, especially choosing fucking Afghanistan as a vacation location. I'm going to play a clip from one of his YouTube videos.
Speaker 5: Now, why am I in Afghanistan?
Speaker 4: Well, that's a really good question.
Speaker 5: During COVID lockdowns. Afghanistan's only open without a vaccine man date, So I just think.
Speaker 3: I've never heard his voice before. I'm more angry now.
Speaker 1: To Afghanistan because they don't have a fucking vaccine mandate.
Speaker 4: Oh my fucking real warrior for freedom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just the just the dumbest idiot. I hate him. So anyway, as a result of wanting to avoid the vaccine mandate, Miles joined the long and historic line of young British Men who have gone out to Afghanistan on a lark. Unfortunately, unlike many of them, Miles would survive his adventure. He does not seem to have a regular Wikipedia yet, but he does have an entry on something called everybody Wiki, which yeah, yeah, which I hadn't heard it that one before, but it's it very hilariously lists his occupation as quote, posting online during the twenty twenty one Siege of Kabul.
Speaker 3: That's great, that's that's actually Tim Kennedy.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 1: So for obvious reasons. He encountered difficulties. He wound up sleeping by the side of the road one night, he was taken into Taliban custody. While he makes a big deal out of this, I actually don't think he was ever in serious danger, particularly not compared to, for example, the people fighting and dying or the civilians and said he's taken by the Taliban, who had to endure an often violent change of regime when the Taliban was taking over here. And lets you know, obviously there's the danger of like accidents on the road, which is always a significant danger in a place called like Afghanistan. There's the danger of you know, being caught up in a fight or something potentially, But the Taliban in this kind of late stage of their takeover, had no desire to harm a British citizen like Miles, or to harm like, you know, Americans who were in the country. And in fact, we're working kind of in the later stages of the US evacuation to try to make sure it happened peacefully, not because the Taliban is so good guys, but because like there's no geopolitical benefit to them from like a random British traveler dying. It's just gonna cause problems for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just stress and a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they didn't have like, I don't believe they were. The Taliban was, ever, like threatened his life in any way. Miles, though, posted through it, reporting that he was stuck in a pickle and giving details of his experience to fans on four Chan and Twitch. He started using the name James. You had asked about this, he started using the name Lord Miles due to the fact that he had purchased a fifteen pound lordship certificate as a bit I knew, I knew. Yeah, yeah, yeah, not that surprising.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 3: What can't say that?
Speaker 1: Sorry, no you can You're you're you're British.
Speaker 3: It's fine, okay, Daniel, Yeah, I leave that one in. That is my conviction. I what a twat, Sorry, what an absolute prick because he's what's really fucking frustrated. Everything about his existence is for frustrating right now. So it's what's so annoying is he's playing this fucking twee parochial version of Britishness for an exclusively in American audience. Right, if you're born near fucking Birmingham, we're not all. Look, we are not all pride and prejudice people. And if you've moved to another country, you will constantly encounter people thinking you grew up in Harry Potterland. But like, we're not all turfs either. But like he's fucking doing it, like and he's doing it like a naive America. Like there are like the Scottish Parliament has made statements about not buying these stupid Scottish titles. Yeah, here's a pray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's very silly. He justified this by saying, because I think he buys it while he's in Afghanistan, he explained to his followers, the Taliban may see that as a reason to keep me alive, some negotiating powder powers. They'll think I'm important. They don't care. They don't want any fucking Westerners dying in the country because it'll fuck up their chances of like you know, they want to get integrated to the like fucking global economy. They want to qualify for like loans and ship like they don't want to They don't want the problems that you dying bring, Like you being a lord has not going to impact this in any way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they don't.
Speaker 5: They don't want like the British government deciding like, oh, ship, they killed someone, now we need to just bomb like cobble for eight months or whatever.
Speaker 3: Now. I don't want to say in his defense because I would not like to speak in his defense. But I will say that the one person who might be conned by a lordship you bought online is Boris Johnson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have an impact on Bojo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it is.
Speaker 5: It is not defense. It's not like Bojo's gonna be sticking around for very long.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 5: You have like you every every every like seven weeks, you are rolling a dice as to whether the Conservative PM is someone you can con with the lordship title.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, none of them in the last few years have been what I would call intellectual titans.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 5: But but but Hope springs a turtle, Rishi sud acts in trouble too, so they might I don't know.
Speaker 3: A brave shot. You just really go down the fast road.
Speaker 1: I really I feel sorry for you all across the pond. I can't imagine what it would be like to have your politicians be national laughing stocks. I mean, that's just gotta be that's just got to be hard. No American, we we'll ever know what that's like. We are ruled by the hero of Ireland. Oh I I was gonna talk about, you know, my hero, the governor of Florida and his best friend, the pedophile who just committed suicide.
Speaker 5: This a different pedophile.
Speaker 1: No, this is the pedophile who like backed Santus's like early political rise and now just killed himself after he got exposed.
Speaker 5: Oh so it's this isn't all Alexander. Okay, never mind, this is a different pedophile. I'm every day there's a new one.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 3: It's not Mike Gates's a friend who's also aphile.
Speaker 1: Now you know who I cannot prove at this point as a pedophile, Miles Rutledge. So let's get back to his story please. So he also claimed during this period where he's kind of like quote unquote on the run, that the four Chan users he was posting with kept him alive by giving him updates on Taliban progress through ocent as they advanced through Kabul. That's broadly speaking, not impossible. So the idea that Miles, again, I don't believe he was ever threatened by the Taliban. They're again not nice people, but they're not like unhinten, They're not isis you know. They they are a government. They don't have a benefit in something bad happening to someone like him. So Miles, though, played up the idea that he was something between a tourist, a journalist, and a philanthropist building his trip to Afghanistan is a quote little charity thing. At the same time as he said that he was prepared for dea when he couldn't immediately secure a way out of the country, Eventually a United Nations safe house took him in and he was given a seat on one of the last planes out of the country. Now this is an actual actor. Yeah, that's frustrating because like there are people in danger from the Taliban who had no couldn't leave, right, Like he took one of their spaces. Somebody didn't get out who is in danger because of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like very good friends of mine, like I spent much of that time, Like I've written about Afghanistan, I've worked with translators and like good friends of mine. Sometimes them left Afghanistan, but many of them still have their families there right, and every single day they have anxiety about whether their families are okay if something terrible has happened to them. Yeah, and this twat is just like sitting on a plane posting on four Chaney Like that makes me properly angry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's And that's again what I was talking about, Like, if you're going to if you're gonna go to a place that is that is beset conflict, you know, by civil war, by violence or anything like that. Number one, you have responsibility to like have a reason to go beyond I wonder what it's like. And you have a responsibility to not make things worse for people who don't have a choice about being there. And he did. You know, that's like fundamentally why I hate this guy is he absolutely took an opportunity to escape from I don't know, some woman's rights activist or something, you know, some somebody who was some turp or something, somebody who didn't have a choice about fucking being stuck in Afghanistan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just some fuck you wanted a fair cracket life. And and yeah there's a prick. Yeah, yeah, it's yeah. And he could have stayed. I have friends who stayed through that time and covered it. Like your concern is for your sources, not yourself.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, or you could have done the thing that his ancestors didn't, just walk across the border Pakistan like your ancestors did this. This is the one thing like Hell's look.
Speaker 1: Like through the Kyber Pass and then become Sherlock Holmes his best friend. You know, that's a proud tradition, which I.
Speaker 3: Thought you were gonna go with dying man, which would have also been a very That's another proud tradition.
Speaker 1: Getting sniped by a jizil in the fucking uh Kaiber Pass. Absolutely so. He had a marvelous time in Afghanistan and immediately pivoted because he built up a big social media following around his posts there, pivoted to a career as a dark tourist influencer. He traveled next to an ireland, not an Ireland. He traveled next to an island in Brazil. There's this island off the coast of Brazil that like, like you're not allowed to go to because there's so many fucking snakes.
Speaker 4: Like it's just it's.
Speaker 1: Extremely dangerous to go there because it's covered in fucking snakes. And he like went there wearing armor, but he didn't actually run into any snakes, because snakes don't, like you know, they're not generally aggressive, most of them. He got arrested in Kenya for as best as I can and tell, being a prick nearer refugee camp, and then he traveled to Ukraine right after the expanded invasion to Ukraine to try to make the suffering of hundreds of thousands of people about him. The highlight of that trip was he claims that he drove a woman and her kid out of the country and rescued them, and also brought people snacks whatever. Miles has always been two things. He's deeply enmeshed in right wing meme culture, and he is at least superficially committed to Christian extremism. He is like kind of a at least it like signals as a fundamentalist Christian. He's super fashy right. This is not like a hidden thing within his videos and stuff. I found one write up of him on a right wing religious news website that gives you an idea of how he builds himself to his ideal audience. Miles Wroteledge is a self described Catholic, independent war journalist and charity on the ground at just twenty one. He had to do Afghanistan with the Taliban seized control, and now he's in Ukraine giving refreshing updates that are peppered with humor, reality and a little naivete. In the past, Routledge went to war torn countries and into areas no NGO or charity dared to go, according to his GoFundMe paigde, so he can hand out bibles, food, medicine and money.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a special place in hell for some time giving a stopping person a Bible.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also like he never went to places other people wouldn't dare to go. I will guarantee you everywhere he went there were already like people like the Freeburmer rangers or even medicine sands, frontiers uh or journalists without borders, like there were there were people there. Because he's not He's not like I've seen his videos, He's not going anywhere special.
Speaker 5: There's how many people are in Callable like ten million people?
Speaker 1: Yes, these are big cities, he's four million people sure, Playing off of kind of these the provincialism of his audience and the fact that most people in the West when they hear Afghanistan or now Ukraine when they hear it, or like even like a place like Kenya, which is like a massive country with major cities and all sorts of stuff like that, like, oh, these places are just death traps and you don't go there, and like, no, man, even like I would get this when i'd go to I've spent a lot, visited Arax seven or eight times, and it's like, no, man, it's like most of it's just a country. Like, yeah, there's specific things you have to keep in mind that are dangerous, but like it's just a place, like millions of people live there and don't die every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is ludicrous to suggest that he was in any day. Yeah, like you could go to all these places and stay in a five star hotel and yeah, like you're not in any danger, especially as a.
Speaker 4: Rich white British guy.
Speaker 1: Brady ground by, Yeah, to the extent that he's like in Ukraine and traveling near the front where there's like random missiles and shelling, Yeah there's some danger, but again it's danger that he is exposing himself to unnecessarily and then creating a situation whereby if he is injured, that's a bunch of morphine and antibiotics that can't go to a fucking civilian who had no choice because they were raised in constantiniva or whatever. You know, Like, yeah, fucking yeah, he's a praise Yeah, yeah, so I mentioned a little earlier, he's definitely a fascist. And you know when I say that, sometimes people do the whole ou lefties will call anything a fascist. Don't worry, I have some receipts on this one. So shortly after his famous trip to Afghanistan, he published a book about his very brief time in the country. This book included some interesting claims, like that he was the last person to enter the country on a tourist visa before the fall of Kabul, and that his visa had required a personal statement explaining his reasons for visiting. He wrote, quote, my response was simply an a four sheet of paper with only the word fun written on it. It was accepted without question. I was ready for my very own white boy summer. He also notes that the last right, which was at the time kind of like a meme in you know, fashy online Nazi circles, it was all over telegram. He also known to very pragmatic child yeah, although not problematic in this sense. Chet did not I think mean for that to happen. He's just problematic in other ways. So he also notes that the last thing he did before leaving was rewatch American Psycho, which he described as a sacred male experience. I will remind you all that that is a movie directed by a woman. He also writes about the fact that he ordered a meal at the airport before leaving, but decided not to eat it because it was likely filled with soy. He goes on like a whole diatribe about how Afghanistan is probably safer for him because there's no soy in the.
Speaker 3: Food, just.
Speaker 1: So. The weird right wing memes and signaling, all of which are like he's always like a year or two out of date on his like far right signaling and stuff too, which is weird. All of it makes a little more sense when you realize that the book that he wrote about Afghanistan was published with Antelope Hill Publishing. Oh yeah, yeah, James, he recognized that, didn't you. Yeah yeah, It is an explicitly fascist publisher. So on the Antelope Pill page for his stupid book, the recommended books beneath It, you know you've got the main book and is like this is if you like this book, read these books are a collection of One of the books is a collection of speech speeches from Kai Murros, who is a Finnish right wing activist who was formerly a maoist but is now a white nationalist revolutionary advocate who suppose supports total racial war against asylum seekers and immigrants. He advocates for an uprising in the UK in which all university staff will be executed by death squads.
Speaker 5: So he hasn't gone.
Speaker 4: That far from the malm So.
Speaker 1: Not that far there, Like, look, there's still pieces of it. So the next book that's recommended if you're interested in Miles's book is The Death Company, which is a first hand account of the Italian in World War One that was very influential among early fascists. And then there's Let Them Look West by Marty Phillips. I found a review of this book on a website called the White Art Collective, and I'm going to read a quote from that now. So this is a Nazi reviewing this book by a Nazi.
Speaker 3: Right, good stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's him describing the book. Rob Cohen is a big city writer sent on assignment to interview James Alexander, the governor of Wyoming, a fundamentalist Christian who has revived his state with, among other things, a Christian themed public works program and Mount Calvary, an artificial mountain which villagers climb up and pass the stations of the Cross, then view a live action recreation of the Crucifixion with music by a live choir. The first few chapters until Rob meets Alexander, feel like a dead pan satire of apocalypse.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 1: Rob didn't want a mission, but for his sins, he was given one. He's a fish out of water who has to navigate and improvise his way to the goal. There's a magical realism vibe of the book despite nothing overly supernatural occurring, and maybe this is why Phillips calls it a mundane phantom. But it's also a mundane fantasy for the simple reason that the America and Wyoming described in the book are so far beyond what is possible that suspension of disbelief is required. Even the Nazi seems like to think it's kind of a shit book, which is very funny to me. So again, if you publish your book with Antelope Pill, Like you are comfortable, at the very least comfortable with having your book advertised next to explicitly Nazi power fantasies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, going to Antler, you know we've both published books, Like, Yeah, it wouldn't have occurred to me to even try.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are the Nazi one of the Nazist publishers out there. In April of twenty twenty two, Miles attempted to re enter Afghanistan. He claimed in videos that his goal was to rescue a tour guide and his family who were threatened by the Taliban, but he wound up stuck in Pakistan, claiming that this guide had lied to him and claimed that the border was closed to British people. He he's like, to be fair, I have no issues with this. No, that would be fine. He gets like he starts like freaking out in the video, he's like a near tears and stuff. He claims that he'd spent fifteen thousand pounds on the trip and now he was broke, so obviously he uses that he has to beg for money from his followers, which I kind of wonder if that was just the whole point of the trip. He also pointed, posted whiney status updates, claiming his life had been ruined by the failed trip. Quote, this means I can't go on a date with a girl I really liked. It means I can't sponsor a joint adventure with my friend. I will go home to an empty room. I am at my end, but I know, big baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Despite his failure, he did not give up on his dreams of stumbling through Afghanistan again. For the sake of content, he put together another trip for the start of twenty twenty three. In late February, as he geared up to go, he made some tweets to his followers that give us more unfortunate context as to the sort of person he is. From February twenty seventh, flat mate saw my Bible and said that book is a fairy tale. So I threw my empty mug at his head, broke on the wall behind him. This isn't the first instance. And after a while you have to stop playing nis and to fend your faith.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Great, this tweet that I remember seeing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a great one. Now people used to send me his shit so often.
Speaker 1: He's infuriating. Yeah, there's a worse one. The most infuriating tweet I found from this guy came a bit further down and it's it's a picture of him. I thinking it might be Dubai. I think it's Dubai. So he's like got his back to the skyline and he's just kind of like looking off into the distance pensively, and it says, friends say, I space out all the time. My mind is having visions of North Sentinel Island. Now, if you don't remember, Sentinel Island is the Forbidden Island and the Andamans which is part of India where in twenty eighteen, an idiot Christian missionary broke quarantine and endangered the lives of an entire so he could satisfy his narcissistic evangelical fetish. He was thankfully shot to death by them via arrow before he could get too close, and hopefully did not spread any diseases to them. I wish mild success in reaching the island and meeting his similar fate, But if he gets anywhere close to them, there's just such a high chance that he will spread deadly disease to the people there that I hope the Indian government keeps him away, even though it would be very funny if he got shot to death by that would be quite a laugh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, truly living out the dreams of being a British lord.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, continue a real time on our tradition getting fucking murked by the natives on an island. So the good news is that friends of the pod, the Taliban may have taken care of you know, this guy for us. Shortly after making those posts, he re entered Afghanistan and a video posted several days later he bragged about entering. While he's in Afghanistan, he brags that he made a fake visa in order to get himself into the country. So he breaks Taliban law entering the country in a fake video and then posts a video while he's in Kabul bragging about it. So, first off, genius brain, unbelievable smarts there. So this the first video that he posts back is it's titled something like Shooting Guns with the Taliban, and it's all about him just like going to Jalalabad to see what kind of guns are available. He talks a lot about how all these US guns and gear are available, but he doesn't actually really show any of it. Like most of the video, he's in like this fucking I'll show you he's in like this fucking gun bazaar and he's like really awed by this giant ar style Turkish shotgun, which we've seen some of them. We have seen some of those, James. They're terrible weapons. They are definitely obviously the Taliban got a hold of a shitload of US gear. Nobody's questioning that these shitty Turkish shotguns are not American weapon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that that's that's probably why it's in the bizarre and not like in someone's like or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Taliban have access to a lot of American gear. He is kind of just like looking at i don't know, like a mix of like old Soviet weapons and like trash guns. So I'm gonna show you a first clip from this video.
Speaker 7: Here is sometimes a little bit dangerous, so there's a lot of diesta. If you don't know who diesh is it's basically isis.
Speaker 4: Now isis?
Speaker 7: You know, I'll number be Taliban. However, the weapons market and maybe in some areas would be quite bad at for me, so I'll have to be a little bit careful. But if you've seen this footage ended up, Okay, I'm gonna take a moment to tell you, guys about my sponsor tend.
Speaker 5: What the fuck.
Speaker 3: This is not official medium, but.
Speaker 5: Gesus, that.
Speaker 3: Is one of the most jarring address.
Speaker 1: Like if you're not watching this, he's like standing in the desert and like talking. There's that brief clip of like a picture of some isis guys, but then he's like back in the desert talking and then suddenly a shot like it cuts very harshly to him in his hotel room doing like a fucking ad for an investment banking app. It's so fucking or like a stock trading app. It's so funny.
Speaker 3: And then yes, yeah, don't see uh have you got the shahata written on it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it sure does.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, I was gonna say people she was this, but to spare yourself, like god, yeah, he's he's wearing his white headband.
Speaker 3: Who's I can't see it anymore, but you can see something you're in and Arabic on it, I guess, and doing it as much for something called ten.
Speaker 1: D's yeah, something which is like yeah, some sort of like stock trading app for I'm going to guess people to get their life saving scammed from them. Yeah, yeah, that's my apologies tendis if I'm getting you wrong, but you're spider.
Speaker 5: Yeah, ah damn.
Speaker 1: It's okay. We've got enough sports betting companies to that. Well, we'll be okay. Run regular us, right, yeah, run Reagan gold coins or silver coins will take care of us. So again, one of the things that's very funny about this is the amount of time he spends flipping out over this dog shit AR style shotgun. For those of you who aren't gun people, the Turks make a number of different shotguns that kind of look like AR fifteen's. They're all very impressive looking to people who don't know anything about guns. They're terrible weapons. One of the reasons they're terrible is that shotgun shells do not work well in magazines. The reason most shotguns are tube fed because like, shot shells are plastic and they have a weird shape to them, and if you stick them in a magazine like a normal bullet, they just tend to like jam and misfeed a lot. It's just we're not a good way for it. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the one gun, the one actually like produced in a factory gun that I'm aware of that the folks in ME and R are like, now, fuck it.
Speaker 1: Will just three, like we are desperate, but these are just and he like he spends a lot of time like talking about how cheap guns are. You can get guns here cheaper than you can anywhere else, because like this ar shotgun is two hundred bucks, Like, man, I can get an ar shotgun for two hundred bucks in Portland, Oregon. They're terrible, nobody wants them. So he does eventually go out with what he claims is the Taliban. As far as I can tell, it's a guy who has an M sixteen that he probably paid like a hundred bucks to go shooting with. Right, maybe the guy, like a lot of people in Afghanistan are technically the Taliban, but that doesn't mean like much, right, Like at this point, they're the government, like you know, you get like your uncle, you know, gets you a fucking gig or something watching a road or whatever. I don't know. I don't know anything about this guy. He claims he's the Taliban. So I'm gonna play you a clip of him shooting this guy's sixteen.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, another one.
Speaker 1: No hearing protection sweeping people.
Speaker 5: Just sweeps him again, the.
Speaker 7: Move, thank you.
Speaker 1: The Taliban guy is visibly nervous about him using the gun.
Speaker 3: He's mad he got that vacuum one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's backing away.
Speaker 3: He's just like.
Speaker 1: Shooting into the air. I love how like visibly nervous. The Taliban guy is his legs with the gun, like points the barrel at that guy's legs like three different times, shoots up into the air. He's just an incompetent asshole with it.
Speaker 4: He's doing all of these like like eighties action movie poses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, touch, It's It's very stupid. He has no hearing protection and so he like hurts his ears like yeah, it's it's It's just comprehensively stupid and sad. So this video was dumb. Shortly after filming it, Miles met up with two other UK citizens who were in the country, one of whom was he's described in most of the news articles I read it is just a charity medic and it's this is all a little unclear. It seems like this guy was in possession of a firearm without a proper permit. He claims that he has a permit, but that was lost or something whatever. At any rate, Miles goes missing in early March, and after several days that Taliban announces that they've taken him and these two other British guys and also two Polish guys into custody. And it's a little unclear why, but it seems to be due to like them breaking some laws with guns. It also may have something to do with the fact that Miles broke the law entering the country. He seems to be being treated reasonably well at present, it's unclear what's going to happen to him. I hope, I mean honestly, like, of all the people who deserve to be in a Taliban prison, Miles Rutledge is the one that's amazing, Like yeah, keep that go ahead and keep that guy Taliban, like.
Speaker 5: Solid very excited for whoever is in the Prime Minister's chair next week to like maybe get around to start.
Speaker 14: Negotiating with the Taliban. They don't the British, the British Far and Office just don't give a fuck anymore. Like I've had to contact them with when colleagues have been detained, et cetera, and like they'll literally be a now computer says no and just like tight fuck off.
Speaker 4: Like so hopefully they do the same for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't. I haven't seen anything like the late most recent news stories about him were like more than a week ago. It looks like, uh, yeah, I'm not saying anything recently, so it doesn't look like I'm guessing we would have there'd be some coverage if he'd been freed. The Daily Mail talked to his mom, who apparently was like, yeah, he was. He was there to try to find himself. Yeah, it's very funny, he says. He claims at one point, like yo, guy has been taken by the by Afghan intelligence for taking like a thousand dollars out of Western Union suss amount, no internet, no idea when this will end. Everything is good, but please excuse my lack of communication. That was like March eighth, something like that. And he hasn't really been back on in a while, Like he's kind of been dark for quite a spell, So I don't know. Maybe something terrible has happened to him or what's happened to him at which point or in which case like that would be kind of funny fuck him. Yeah, that's where I am officially. Yeah, I mean he fucked around and found out. Yeah, like you keep again man, you want to like, yeah, you keep fucking around. You like go to a place with like a famously like dangerous authoritarian government who are actively hurting people and are like, I'm going to brag about breaking the law for a YouTube video. Yeah, man, maybe they'll get pissed. It's like the same shit with like, obviously the Romanian government is not the Taliban, but like it's the same kind of shit with like Andrew Tate, where you're like, I'm gonna go to this other country and brag about the fact that they're not stopping me from breaking their laws. That's a pretty good way to get them to fucking problems for you.
Speaker 5: Like, anyway, my favorite Miles post, if I'm remembering this right, I'm pretty sure like two weeks before he like got arrested. He he he posted a tweet about how like he's safer in he's safer in Afghanistan and he is in US.
Speaker 15: That he would be in San Francisco, in na in Brooklyn. Yeah, he spent no two days, he spent forty eight hours quote unquote homeless in Brooklyn for again for content, And yeah, it is it is funny that like he is in a lot of trouble.
Speaker 3: Now he tried to go to Mission Texas as well. I don't know if he ever went, but he was going to do so I missed that. Yeah, he was gonna do something fucking horrific with people crossing the Rio Grande.
Speaker 1: Oh god, oh see the look. You're not gonna hear this often from me, but critical support to the Taliban, like they're they're they're really fighting the good fight for all of us.
Speaker 16: By caving this guy behind bars, I was it initially seemed like he had he had fallen into the hands of like the Islamic State Chorussan Province, and yeah, I'm gonna have to Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Rarely have to hand it to Islamic State, but we may have had that one occasion.
Speaker 1: That don't give ices a lot of credit, but that it is, like you know what, I'll just I'm gonna go ahead and say this on behalf of the rest of the world, Taliban, if you keep him locked up, you know, we will erase one of those big Buddha statues from like the list of Taliban crimes. We'll all agree to forget one of the Buddhas. Like, hold, I feel like I'm not signing on to this. I'm so bad about the Buddhas. I just come on, we need all the Buddhas. Anyway, Fuck this guy.
Speaker 5: Yea.
Speaker 3: Side, I hope they're feeding him tofu.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope they're feeding him all of the soy and after anastea like fucking park a soy truck up to that guy's cell. Anyway, that's a story, Like there's these guys are like, especially in the social media. I mean, they've always been a part of war and of conflict. You know, there's a degree to which like this is a not a news story like this is actually kind of a one of the older stories in human history. Is like dudes kind of stumbling into war zones in order to write about it or otherwise like make it about them. So, you know, uh, fuck these people and fuck Miles Rutledge in specific. I hope we I hope he winds up like those Venezuelan merks or not there.
Speaker 4: I mean they weren't.
Speaker 1: They were in Venezuela who are caught on video pissing themselves and then lying in the piss. That's that's my dream for Miles Rutledge spending some time lying in piss before he's sent back to the UK. Yeah, that's what I got.
Speaker 3: Nice. Hopefully they revoke his fucking citizenship like that they did to the British.
Speaker 1: He did make a bunch of posts about how cool the Taliban were, So I don't know, like, yeah, we can drink. Look, man, you said you wanted to live there. Uh, here you go. Yeah, I don't know. I think he's a dick, and I think this is funny. That's my official stance.
Speaker 3: Happy Earth Day.
Speaker 5: And by Happy Earth's Day, I mean the Earth is dying and people are killing it. Yeah, welcome, welcome. Did it happened here the Earth Day episode?
Speaker 16: Now?
Speaker 1: Now, now, quick question me? What is Earth?
Speaker 5: So? The Earth is one of many, many, many planets in the universe. It was, it's cagealed rock. There's some like melty shit in the middle of it, but on the outside, there's a part of it that's nice to live on, and it'd be nice to continue to have.
Speaker 10: It be that.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is different than what I had been raised to believe. But I'll humor you here. Please continue.
Speaker 5: Yes, And so okay, we are we going to be talking today about one of the many attempts to destroy the Earth and also Garrison this year too.
Speaker 4: Hello, yes hi, I'm here also for the Earth for the Earth.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, and this is a special episode featuring a bombing.
Speaker 1: So it is ah, I love a good bombing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is very exciting. Actually, tally speaking, it's two bombs. So it is near midnight on July tenth, nineteen eighty five. The crew of the Green Peace boat Rainbow Warrior Year, which is docked in the harbor of Auckland, which is New Zealand's largest city. A thing that I learned rob researching this episode.
Speaker 4: Wait, really, that's New Zealand's largest city. Yeah, yeah, there's not.
Speaker 1: There's not a lot in New Zealand other than Hobbits and that one show about vampires.
Speaker 5: A lot of cheese too that they make, make make a lot of make a lot of milk.
Speaker 4: So they did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the greepiest boat is. It is docked in this harbor. Most of the crew is asleep or some of them are playing cards, and they are they are relaxing after having celebrated the birthday.
Speaker 4: Of one of their crews.
Speaker 5: Suddenly a massive shock rips through the boat. Water starts flooding into the ship. Lights go out, and the crew thinks they've been hit by a tug boat by accident. That lasts a couple of minutes until a second explosion hits the boat.
Speaker 4: Mister President, a second explosion has hit the boat.
Speaker 3: Nine to eleven.
Speaker 1: Joke, Yes, very excellent, good work.
Speaker 5: So the crew the light like the people fleeing nine to eleven. The crew flees the boat, but they realize that their photographer, a guy named Fernando Perieira, is missing. Peri Era like it hasn't quite realized that the boat is like under attack, and so he runs back to his cabin to grab his camera, and then the second explosion hits in the boat sinks so fast that he never has a chance to get back up.
Speaker 4: And he drowns to death.
Speaker 5: And the crew very quickly realizes that this is not an accident, and rescue divers discovered there are massive there's like massive holes in the ship from where I've been blown up from the outside, and they eventually determined that this boat, which is again a green piece boat that is doing non violence of with disobedience, has been sunk by limpet mines.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, oh, I love a good limp at mine. I'm so happy that we're we're getting limpet mines in this episode.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yea, we're getting we're getting limp at mines. We're getting there'll be some special Forces boats later or I say boats is one boat, but yeah, we're gonna we're going through all of the sort of naval combat bits here. Excellent, But this raises the question who would commit such an act of terrorism on the I can't actually say on the soil of news Land because it's technically in the water of New Zealand.
Speaker 4: In the waters of New Zealand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, off the coast of New Zealand. Sure, yeah, we get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But okay, So to answer this question, we need to talk about the anti nuclear movements. And you know, there's been a kind of rewriting of history about what the anti nuclear movement was actually about to basically like sort of purely focused on the anti nuclear movement as something it's just about nuclear.
Speaker 4: Power, but that was never true.
Speaker 5: The movement was always way more larger than that, and a huge part of it was about opposing nuclear weapons, both in terms of like opposing nuclear tests and in terms of fighting for nuclear disarmament. On the fairly simple principle that having weapons that can kill everyone on Earth around is a bad idea.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean the bad idea if you don't want to destroy the entire earth. But yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you want to destroy the Earth, that's a pretty good idea.
Speaker 5: Actually, unfortunately, I'm on a living kick right now, so I'm not anti destroying everything on Earth.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's good that you can admit your bio upfront though, that's yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is a very important thing in journalism. Yeah, so you know, Okay, so when we were talking a bit about nuclear testing, because it doesn't it doesn't happen anymore nuclear testing. Okay, so we used to just like detonate nuclear bombs like in the.
Speaker 1: Addamn right, you're goddamn right, we did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it turns out this this kills enormous numbers of people. But the problem is that it kills them very slowly with increased cancer rates, which is very difficult to sort of track or like prove direct causality. And you know, this is aided by the fact that when countries are nuclear testing, they are almost always killing people. Well they're almost always dropping this the nukes on indigenous land, which means that they're killing people who are the government and most of the countries just like does not care about and you know, you can you can literally map colonialism and sort of the value that a given like a given state placed on people's lives by you know, where they test the nuclear weapons. So, for example, the US tests the nuclear bombs in places like the Bikinia Toll, the Marshall Islands, a former tribal land in Nevada, in New Mexico, and in Hatesburg, Mississippi.
Speaker 4: Okay, so Jesus Christ, all those are bad except except Mississippi.
Speaker 5: No, that was also bad because guess get guess get guess what race the population of Hatesville.
Speaker 4: Mississippi was.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, yeah, they got paid ten dollars to get relocated quote unquote, yeah this is this is this is not a white it's not a white city.
Speaker 4: They are blowing up with a nuclear bomp. Not like it's not like a gated community for white men in their fifties or something.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, The only.
Speaker 1: Good nuclear testing we did was back in the day when they used to set off nukes right outside of Vegas, and so all of the Vegas people would watch the nukes go off and then get irradiated. That was that was kind of funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah. They also they also were radiated the area fifty one people one time, and that was also extremely funny.
Speaker 1: They shared did and there was that like guy I think it was uranium. There was like one of the dudes who was on the Manhattan Project. There was this like dude who there was like an accident and he just sucked down a bunch of nuclear fuel and they had to like he could never work in a lab again after that, and he every for like decades afterwards. His breath tested positive for like radioactivity, but he loved to be like eighty something like. It didn't him doesn't seem to have heard him. He says it tasted kind of like like sour candy. Well, okay, so he's tasted there forbidden nuclear water. Yeah, no one else has to. Now we know what it tastes like. Yeah, oh yeah, Donald Mastic was he was sprayed in the face with liquid plutonium chloride and swallowed some. But apparently that's fine. So there you go. Everybody drinks some plutonium, you'll live a long life.
Speaker 5: So the US, I guess, I guess also tests it on their nuclear scientists. But yeah, so that those are the US. The USSR testa nukes in Kazakhstan, which there's an amazing story about.
Speaker 4: Barria going when there's nobody.
Speaker 5: Nobody lives in this part and nobody lives in Kazakstan, so we'll be fine.
Speaker 10: Mm hmm. It's like, okay, Baria people, in fact, you live there.
Speaker 5: China tests this nukes in a site called lop Nor, which is in shing John because of course it is. And the French do their test in the Sahara in Algeria until the Algerian revolution forces them out, which good for them, death of betrayers, the Algerian Workers councils et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. But this means that the French now no longer being able to bomb like their conorizsessions in Algeria. Yeah, they they they start testing the nuclear weapons on particularly the Moreau.
Speaker 4: I don't know how to pronounce this. I'm really sorry. What is a toll in the in the south the South Pacific?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that sounds close enough. Yeah, sure, yeah, And.
Speaker 5: So they they start these tests like in secret. So there are there are people on islands nearby who don't know what those nukes going off, like, the don't even a bomb shelters. Right, it's really loud these days.
Speaker 1: Anybody notice how loud it's gotten here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like, you know, you could see the fucking mushroom cloud. Right.
Speaker 5: But like these people, you know, the French military sciences are like, oh, it's fine, they're not going to be in the fall out They're unbelievably in the fallout radius.
Speaker 1: If anyone ever tells you you're not in a fallout radius, that's your first sign that you are, in fact in a fallout radius.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's never it's never a great it's never a great sign. I don't think that's happening.
Speaker 1: I don't think anyone has ever assured a group of people that they're not going to be exposed to radiation and been telling the truth.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing. Here's the thing.
Speaker 5: If if they had merely gone to these people and said you're not going to be exposed to radiation, it would have been better, because then then at least it would have had a chance. They just didn't tell these people at all. They were testing a news sure, they just blew it up great, and so they detonate like they detonate.
Speaker 4: Nukes all over Polynesia.
Speaker 5: In Actually a few years ago there was a there was a thing called the Moreau Files, which was a bunch of investigative journalist goot together. They got a bunch of classified French military documents. They did, they got some scientists together, and they did a whole thing about the you know, the sort of influence that the effects of this nuclear testing has. And I'm just going to read from that quote. According to our calculations, based on a scientific reassessment of the doses received, approximately one hundred and ten thousand people were infected, almost the entire Polynesian population at the time.
Speaker 3: Good god, So they radiated.
Speaker 4: Like the entire population of Polynesia. This is this is great.
Speaker 1: So I mean that's not ideal. That's not ideal. I'll give them that.
Speaker 5: And Okay, so I obviously nuclear testing has negative effects on humans. I feel like I don't need to explain how nuclear testing has Dropping a nuclear bomb on a place has a negative effect on the environment, that seems sure, Are you sure?
Speaker 1: Pretty obvious? I think we're all more or less caught up on nuking things being bad for them, except well, except for underwater aquatic lizards, which seem to do really well when exposed to nuclear tests.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they look, they can. They have atomic breath. Now they've got absolutely yeah, big big.
Speaker 1: They get to star in a movie with a surprising number of members of the cast of Simpsons. Yeah, it's it's all. It's all upsides. Oh and that Ferris Bueller I think was in it. So that's pretty good. Yeah. Did these people get to star in a movie with Ferris Bueller.
Speaker 5: No, they died of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's unfortunate. That's unfortunate.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And so these tests and some other tests the US are doing, the Marshall Islands or the Origin of Green piece. So there have been environmental groups like the Sierra Club have been involved in anty nuclear activism because again, bad, bad for the environment, dropping dukes. But okay, so the activism that the Sierra Club people are doing is based on bearing witness, and the green Peace people rightly are like, fuck bury witness. They are dropping nuclear bombs. We are going to try to stop these bastards.
Speaker 4: The way you can beat a bad guy with the nuclear bomb is a good guy with the nuclear bomb. I'm introducing a new initiative to arm all green Peace members. Okay, the personal, personal tactical nuke, David Crocket.
Speaker 5: This is this is I am not kidding France's rationale for why they have nukes, which is that the thing is literally called like this, like the weak deterring the strong or something. And it's like, ma'am, you are France, Like come on, okay, yeah, sure, France is acting for the protection of the weak against the straw.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh my, I mean, look, I would if I had the option, I would keep a nuke in my basement, you know, just in case, yeah, someone someone comes to my house. You know, we've got I've got the option then, right, like what if because like right now, okay, say Pakistan decides to try to rob my house. I don't have a counter to their nuclear arsenal.
Speaker 3: But if I.
Speaker 1: Keep you know, and I'm not even talking to like six to ten megatons in my basement, that's enough, I think to discourage aggression, right or if like my neighbor decides to call the city on me, you know, I've got an option.
Speaker 5: There's a problem with this plan, which how are you getting the nuke from your apartment to Pakistan?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's if they come to my house. Right, that way I can I can nuke all of my stuff so that they won't want it, and that way they won't rob me in the first place.
Speaker 5: Right, this makes about as much sense as actual nuclear actual nuclear doctrine. Yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 1: Worked for decades, Mia, Like, I don't know what your problem is here. If it if it's worked for for all of these great powers, you know, it can work for me. Or I could do what the British do and send you know, some of my some of my people out. I could send James or Garrison out underwater with a nuclear weapon and just have them always waiting in the sea to nuke my adversaries if somebody takes me out, much like the British nuclear fleet. See, we we.
Speaker 5: As a human race are really good at coming up with good ideas. Yeah, we have our ideas. Our das are amazing, they rock. We never have any bad ones.
Speaker 1: It is funny that there's just like some guys who are expected to like follow a dead man's orders at the end of the world, uh, for for unclear reasons. Like there's just a letter and it's like, if all of your loved ones die, open this letter. And do whatever it says. You are really funny when you think about him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, okay, So in the late sixties and early seventy there's people who are like, this is a terrible idea, we should not in fact drop nuclear bombs. And these groups in the late sixties become green Peace in nineteen nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 3: Okay, great for them, good for them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, So we've talked about like the French having to move the nuclear program into the Pacific after being read out of Algeria. Green Peace starts doing direct actions against French nuclear testing, and so in nineteen seventy two, Dave mctagger's one of the founders of Greenpeace, sails his boat into a French nuclear testing area. Now, okay, I have my issues sort of in principle with like nonviolence as you're like pure organizing political principle. But if you are willing to sail your boat under a new your bomb to stop it from going off, that is that is pretty based.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I have trouble. I have trouble like coming up with any any any critiques of that.
Speaker 5: No, this rips, and like the other thing is like you know this isn't this isn't a stunt, right like they are they are actually prepared to get nuked.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, that's that seems like a pretty commitment.
Speaker 5: Yeah that it's it's sick. And so they refuse to leave and the French, the French Navy eventually gets so pissed off that a French Navy ship rams their boat like a fucking try rem in where to get them. So they're they're forced out because they're rammed by a tr ream.
Speaker 3: Us.
Speaker 5: We've all been there, so sometimes sometimes.
Speaker 10: You just get you just get rammed.
Speaker 4: I don't know, it happens so true.
Speaker 5: So they they green Peace tries to go to the International Court of Justice to get a ruling to force France to stop the testing, and the French government steaks out what I I I claim is like the primary status political principle, which is that what is justice to a man holding a gun? And they just absolutely ignore the International Court of Justice. So they in ninety seventy four, they're trying to do another set of nuclear tests and this time, you know, so green Piece is like, okay, well we're gonna we're gonna send like a flotilla of boats out this time.
Speaker 4: Did you just say a flotilla?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Is that a word?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a group of boats.
Speaker 4: Scarce, that's like a that's like a murder of crows thing.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, yeah, but it's a very common name for a bunch of boats.
Speaker 4: I've never I've never heard that before.
Speaker 3: Now you have flotilla. Yeah.
Speaker 1: L Ron Hubbard had a flotilla of boats that he made teenagers pilot and jump off of when he was angry at them.
Speaker 4: You know, I was thinking about this.
Speaker 5: I think this is actually the first flotilla of boats that we've had on any of our shows.
Speaker 10: That is good.
Speaker 1: That's not that's not commanded by l Ron Hubbard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or like the Moodies, it's it's a whole it's a whole sort of line of bad. But this is this is a good flotilla.
Speaker 5: But the Navy this time is like, Okay, we're not going to mess around with these people, like and you know, let them get inside the testing zone. Uh. They so they just bored mctabart ship and just beat the shit out of him and his crew. And so the the the French Navy claims that like, oh, the green Peace people just like turned around on their own and uh, McTaggert, you know, my tiger's like very badly visibly hurt. So he like shows up to the press and the French Navy goes, oh, I mean he's like mctigerant is like he is he he is like blind in one eye for several months, like he is very very badly beaten. And the French Navy claims that was actually the result of a fall, which I I I will allow you to draw your own conclusions are yeah, I'll I'll let you draw your own conclusions. But parallels between the state and domestic abusers. But yeah, Unfortunately for the French Navy, the Green Peace crew have managed to like get the beatings on camera, and they're able to smuggle like the film canister off the boat and get it to the newspapers, and so the newspapers the next day just have a bunch of like pictures showing the French Navy just beating the shit out of these like random Green Piece people, and this eventually actually works.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 5: There's there's there's sort of there's I mean, there's there's a sort of political pressure campaign that Green Pieces waging. There are these there are these campaigns in the French courts to get the government to stop, and eventually, in nineteen seventy four, the French government agrees to stop conducting atmospheric tests and nuclear weapons. Now, Robert, do you know who else stopped conducting atmospheric testing after years of public pressure campaigns? The US and the USSR. Yes, but also the products and services that's.
Speaker 1: Oh, that supports this podcast. Yeah, No, I mean most most of them. Most of them. Ah, we're back, and you know that I'm hearing now that we we did have an ad from Blue Apron in there, who does continue like low earth orbit atmospheric nuclear weapons testing. But you know, it's the only way to get your food boxes to you in a timely manner. They have to use the Orion drive, which is a special spacecraft engine that relies on popping nuclear weapons out of the back of a spaceship and using them to accelerate it to near light speed. It's actually that's a you can look that up. It's a pretty cool idea. I think we should do it.
Speaker 5: It is very funny to me that it's like, Okay, we have this incredibly convoluted drive that's powered by nuclear weapons and it gets you to around the speed of light.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's it's not even convoluted. It's literally just the spaceship poops out a nuke and it makes it go faster. It's a fun idea. I'm gonna be honest with you. I think it's a fun idea, is.
Speaker 5: But like it can't even get you to like the next solar system very fast.
Speaker 1: Well, nothing probably ever can, which is why we're all doomed to die alone in the dark.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very sad. Other thing that's sad. Okay, So the French government agrees to stop doing tests in the atmosphere, right, however, this is just atmospheric tests.
Speaker 4: I never agreed to stop doing like non atmospheric tests.
Speaker 5: So in nineteen eighty five, the French government is gearing up to do another round of nuclear testing and green Peace is once again bringing a flotilla to try to stop them. Now green Peace are already in nineteen eighty five, they've been involved in another anti nuclear well okay, really is it's all the same anti nuclear campaign. But so the other people who are dropping nukes in the Pacific are the US, and when they nuke the Marshall Islands, the people of this island called Runga Lap began suffering from radiation exposure, even though they were also once again told by the American government that they were fine, and so that the US is going to drop another nuke and they refuse to evacuate these people, and so green Peace like brings their boats, like brings the Rainbow Warrior, and so these people ask like green Peace for help. But so green Peace like evacuates them all to another island and like brings like construction materials and supply so they can like set up on a new island. And it's this really I don't know, it's it's a really sort of grim look into what, you know, like what this new Coro testing actually means, which is that a bunch of people who've been living in a place for hundreds of years are forced to flee for their lives, like you know, the state won't the state won't even like ethnically cleanse them right like they they are they are forcibly relocated from their homes, but the state won't even do it because the state's like, no, it's fine, where's You're just gonna die radiation poisoning, And so they have to get someone else to like move them and it's I don't know, it's it's really bleak.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 5: These people survive, which is good, but the US doing necrotesting in the Marshall Islands, which I'm betting at least forty percent of you don't know of the US control.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sucks.
Speaker 5: So okay, So they get done with this evacuation, they're back in Auckland and then their flagship, they're Able Warrior, gets bombed and Greenpeace talks later about how they actually got really lucky because you know, I remember when I said earlier there are people who were still awake like playing cards. If those people had been in their cabins, a bunch of them basically would have drowned immediately because the cabins got flooded instantly by the first bomb. So they got very lucky. Only one person died. I to this day, I do not understand why the people who did this thought they could do this without killing anyone.
Speaker 4: It's baffling to me. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I at least they claimed they weren't trying to kill anyone. So New Zealand police start investigating. You know, hey, there's been a a like a terrorist attack on a boat in our harbor.
Speaker 1: Sure, and that seems like a thing you'd look into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get that.
Speaker 5: They get very, very lucky. And they get lucky because there are two people in this boating club who are like watching the harbor trying to see if it's like trying to catch someone who's been stealing diving equipment. And in the middle of the night they see a man in a black wetsuit carrying a Zodiac inflatable speedboat ashore and get into a van. Now, okay, so it's in goodna be wish bottle of Zodiac. This is for people not familiar with boats. Zodiac makes something called the mill Pro, which is a a like it's an inflatable speedboat that is used by like most of the world's special forces units.
Speaker 4: And so these two.
Speaker 5: Guys are like, this is really sketchy. They and and so they they're you know, they put two and two together when they realize that a boat's been blown up and they're like, oh my god, it was probably these guys. So they go to the police and they're able to get the license plate of the van, and so the staff at this like van depot have to like sit there and like stall the two people in the van and keep them from leaving long enough for the cops to show up, which something I really really desperately want a video of. That just sounds really funny.
Speaker 1: I do love the idea of like the average people who work at like a car rental company being asked like, hey, could you do like a little bit of counter terrorism for us today? Just like a SCOSHIVI it in between denying people rentals because they don't have a credit card.
Speaker 5: Amazing and Okay. So then the cops show up and they arrest these this couple who are claiming to be newly weds, but the New Zealand government quickly discovers that both these people have forged passports from Sweden, and so they discover their real names. And by god, is that the mercy? Is that is a man with the benguet. It is the French CIA. They have planted this bomb and there's the French CIA.
Speaker 4: Hold on, because we can't just say the French c i A.
Speaker 5: It's the Directorate General for External Security or g s E. That's a much worse, much less Definitely.
Speaker 4: We're gonna we're gonna go back to calling it the French.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna read the Secret Police. I think we can all agree. Secret police need to have three letter acrons C I, A, G, R, U, F B I Like, it just doesn't work with four. You need to have one kind of sinister sounding name, like the macabat, but like the d G S E. Oh my god, I'm sorry that sounds like a bank.
Speaker 5: It's a direction general.
Speaker 3: Trash.
Speaker 1: You have been You have been suppressing people for so long, and you don't have a better secret police name than that.
Speaker 3: That's shameful.
Speaker 4: By the way.
Speaker 1: Their address, that's a wait, fucking name. The name good, incredible or am I five whatever the real one is.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Anyways, if you if you ever want to go, like take a visit to these people, they're at Their headquarters is on one forty one Boulevard Bartier, Paris, France. It's at forty eight dot eighty seven forty four north two four oh six seven YaST latitude. Right.
Speaker 1: I don't need to go back to France. Yeah, I go fuck with the dgsese. I'm not that big a wine guy. It's fine.
Speaker 5: So they catch these agents whose names are I shit you not Gene Camas and Jean Luke Castaire.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 5: No, so the police catch these two, there's like ten to other well, there's like eight other people involved. Two of them get I think like maybe two one or two of them get caught in Australia, but the Australian police aren't able to hold them long enough for the forensic evidence to come in, so they have to release them and they flee. And there's this whole thing where like they flee at a yacht and then they get on a submarine and the submarine shoots the yacht to sink it.
Speaker 4: As it's a whole thing.
Speaker 5: And I actually, okay, it probably is worth mentioning here that as as silly as the French CIA's name sound, name sounds like, they have one of the most extensive networks of surveillance and sabotage of any intelligence agency in the world. It never gets talked about, but they have people everywhere.
Speaker 4: They are lethal. They absolutely suck.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so they get caught and the French order an investigation, and their first investigation concludes that like, well, we asked, well, okay, so these people are our spies, right, but we just asked the spy on green Peace. We didn't ask them to do a bombing, and everyone's like, okay, yeah, sure, French government.
Speaker 3: So the French we have been there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like, well, no, okay, so you you you may have caught two of our spies dragging a Zodiac boat well with a guy a guya a website, dragged a Zodiac boat into a van, but doesn't mean he did the bombing.
Speaker 4: And the French.
Speaker 5: Media does her own investigation and like quickly concludes that like not, not only did the French order the bombing, the bombing was personally signed off on by French Defense Minister Charles Herdu and also quite possibly French President Frenchois Mitterrand.
Speaker 1: And well, okay, at least Mita Arran's got a good name for an evil president.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well this is interesting, right because if you know your French history, for tho, those of you who know your French history, you will note that Midran is a man to the French left. He's he's he's the prime minister, he's the president from the Francis Socialist Party. Right, he has like, okay, he has a program of amnesty for Italian communist terrorists. Were like, if you're able to make it to France, they won't extradut you.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: The Communists would never have a nuclear bomb.
Speaker 5: So it's very famously Ontonio Negri, who's the guy who writes a bunch of books that are very famous in the early two thousands, he's like, he's one of the founders of the Autonomists. He flees to He uses this to flee to France after the Italian government accused him of being the mastermind of the Red Brigades who had just kidnapped and killed for Prime Minister Alden Morrow. So Negrid gets himself parliamentary immunity by getting elected as an MP and then flees to France, which is just very funny. And then Metiran refuses the extra d item. So okay. So on the one that you would think that Midrand is like, I don't know, kind of cool.
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't think so I don't. Yeah, so Midiirrand. Okay.
Speaker 5: So in terms of sort of being sympathetic, Midran is like a is a kind of different kind of neoliberal than the kind that we that we sort of know. So I would classify in terms of sort of neoliberal like neoliberal politicians, right, like neoliberal heads of countures. I think there's sort of like three kinds of them. There are sort of the right wing hardliners who people like Thatcher, like Pinochet and Reagan, the Reagan's Weirdly, Reagan is slightly less hardline than like Thatcher is, but yeah, so okay, So there's those people. There's the sort of like third way neoliberals like Clinton and Tony Blair, who are like I guess like liberals in the American sense, but are still sort of like real hardliners on economics. And then there's a group of people I would call like the quote unquote socialist neoliberals like Midterrans and Italy's longtime Socialist Party prime minister Bettino Croxy, Like I don't know if I can actually call him the most corrupt man in Italian politics, but like he's like at least in the top five, but he's prime minister for like twenty years, and.
Speaker 4: He's also like this.
Speaker 5: So these are these are people who are nominally socialists and we'll talk about like doing socialism, but then are also like implementing neoliberalism.
Speaker 4: And you know, I think.
Speaker 5: The closest thing to this in the US is like if Carter had beaten Reagan, we still would have gotten neoliberalism, but it would have been sort of like softer than it was under Reagan. So you know, you have your sort of kinder, gentular form of neoliberalism. And do you know who else advocates for a kinder ingentular form of neoliberalism?
Speaker 1: Oh not Blue Apron. No, they support going going right back to the old days. We're talking like East India Trading Company. In fact, as we speak, Blue Aprons flotilla is on the coast of India right now, ready ready to try their hand at making another raj in Calcutta.
Speaker 5: I wish you could all see Garrison's face. It's amazing, It's.
Speaker 4: Fine, it's fine.
Speaker 5: Ah, we're back.
Speaker 3: So all right.
Speaker 5: The consequence of this is that, you know, despite the fact that Midarin is like nominally a socialist, he is completely committed to nuclear testing as part of his nuclear deterrence program.
Speaker 4: Money funny, How that funny? How that always happens? Huh yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: Now, supporting colonialism is not out of care Fromiteran, who, as part of a previous coalition government in the fifties, had presided over the guillotining of Algerian rebels, but his reaction to his government and possibly also him personally bombing the Rainbow Warrior is not good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's nice to hear, at least not a great look, buddy.
Speaker 5: Yeah so so, because French people are extremely normal, the reaction in the French public about their government carrying out a terrorist attack is that there's a giant nationalist upswell, and people get really angry because they're demanding that the two French intelligence agents who again are serving ten year manslaughter sentences in New Zealand for bombing a ship involved in non violent civil disobedience in the harbor of a country that France is not at war with. People are mad that they are like being held in prison and they're demanding they be released.
Speaker 4: That makes sense from like the.
Speaker 1: French national sides. It's the French fire right. They're pretty pretty.
Speaker 5: Amazing, right like like again, like they lots like lots of just like non far right people in France get involved in this, and they had this whole thing about the way they talk about it is amazing that they talk about it in terms of liberating them. It's like they just murdered a guy with a bob like multiple but they use two mines.
Speaker 4: To blow this ship up.
Speaker 5: It's like and and so the Minigan's government's response is they start putting sanctions on New Zealand's exports.
Speaker 4: That's funny, that's funny.
Speaker 5: And this is this is a huge deal for New Zealand because they're they have a you know, New Zealand's economy is like in large part agricultural based export economy, and they export just an enormous amount of cheese to France.
Speaker 4: I did not know that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, so I New Zealand is like one of the words leading dairy producers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought they mostly just made those like elfin Dwarf and Wizard movies, but.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean they do make a lot of money producing limbus cakes, which which can keep you going for an entire week.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm realizing, I'm realizing now I'm not gared. Do you know a story of how of how New Zealand was was like dragged into supporting the Iraq war and sending troops to a rock No, okay, okay, I need to tell the story. So I'm realizing there's some of our listeners who might not have heard this. The last time I told the story. Okay, So in the Wiki leaks papers, it comes out that New Zealand, New Zealand sent troops to a rock because so New Zealand had had a milk for oil program where they would trade milk to a rock for oil. And the US threatened that after the after they invaded a Rock, they were going to cut off the milk for oil deal. And this was this was like Fonterra. They're like the giant like milk Cooperative in in New Zealand was so powerful. And the New Zealand government was like, fine, don't don't cut off our dairy, our milk for oil program. We will go to war. So yet New zeal Zealand. New Zealand did not go to war from oil. And New Zealand went to war for the milk market.
Speaker 1: And and that's why we called it a coalition of the willing yep.
Speaker 4: New Zealand is a truly a cursive place.
Speaker 1: And and you know, and the it is I don't think New Zealand's the cursed one, and that it's true.
Speaker 5: But they also like this is the this is the second time. But New Zealand is going to capitulate to like through the demands of a violating perialists in order to save their cheese market.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's like a fair criticism of New Zealand. But as an American, I do feel like I don't really have much room to like talk shit on this particular ship.
Speaker 4: It is, it is our fault, this is happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I'm not gonna blame New Zealand for this.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 4: I will kind of blame them for this one. This is also France's fault.
Speaker 5: So what what they're able to do is they're able to well, okay, partially also so like eight of the other people who are involved in this bobbing like are just got out free, and so New Zealand is like, hey, will you guys like send us these people so we can try them in fact, is like no, absolutely not. In fact, we will impost sanctions on you. And what they're able to do is they're able to force New Zealand to like enter un arbitration, even though again they've already arrested and convicted these two guys right because they obviously did it, and the un and typical un fashion goes okay, so France is powerful and New Zealand isn't, so fuck them, and they negotiate a deal where like these two French officers are going to be like released and stationed in this like tiny island at the French control for three years. And so the French doesn't. They don't even do that. They pull these guys out in less than two years. So New Zealand isn't. It doesn't go great.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I say it doesn't go great for them in the short term. They suffer a series of catastrophic defeats. In the midterm. French eventually get ordered to pay eight point one million dollars to Greenpeace, who use the money to make another boat called the Rable Warrior two and continue to like sale fleets to stop French nuclear testing. And I'm gonna I'm gonna reads with green Peace's website quote. In nineteen ninety five, the Rainbow Warrior two was bordered by French commandos as it led further protests against nuclear testing a Moorea toll. When green Peace activists were asked for their names, they only gave one, Fernando Perieira, which is.
Speaker 4: The name of the guy who the French had.
Speaker 5: Killed earlier, so they have their I'm Spartacus moments, and you know, eventually it takes a very very long time, but they win. In nineteen ninety six, France and China do like one last nuclear test and then signed the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban treaty. Indian and Pakistan do a pair test each in nineteen eighty nine. But since then no country has tested a nuclear weapon except North Korea, who does it all the time. But you know, I don't know what green Peace is supposed to do testing nuclear weapons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, you can't and it is I will say this, like from a real politique point of view, you know, there's an argument to be made that like, yeah, the the kind of balance of nuclear power certainly provides a degree of protection to some countries. But my argument would be not having tested your weapons makes them more frightening. If you're France and you're like, look, man, anyone who tests us. We don't know what's going to happen when we fire these things. We don't know if they're going to go to the right place. We have no idea what will happen when we fire our nukes. So come on and fuck with us, but literally anything could happen. That just seems like a better threat to me.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to advocate that one, but I think that's the stance.
Speaker 1: I think that's the stance. You know, build increasingly large weapons and never test them so that we just know if shit goes down, we could all die.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 4: Okay, well it doesn't, it doesn't.
Speaker 5: It doesn't involve nuclear testing. So I got I'm coming around to this position.
Speaker 1: Never never test them. Just build increasingly large doomsday devices and be like, no one knows what'll happen if we have a war. Why not maybe none of them work, and we all get to really think about what we've been doing, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I I in all seriously though, this is a massive victory. There are there are millions upon millions of people across the world, and millions of people who have yet to be born who are going to live their lives free of the effect of radiation poisoning because people stood up and fought nuclear testing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you.
Speaker 5: Know, this is the message that I want to sort of end Earth Day with with, which is the people who are destroying this world are incredibly powerful, and they are willing to kill protesters in order to keep their power and keep making the world further. But if you just keep fighting them no matter what they throw you, if you just every every single time they hit you, if you just come back and keep fighting again, you can win. And this is this is the way that it happens.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's so good. That's a nice that's a nice note to end on. So everybody get out there and.
Speaker 4: Get nuked once and then everything's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, get nuked once and you'll be okay. Like that scientist to drink the plutonium. It's surprisingly easy to not die when you get exposed to unbelievable quantities of radiation. That seems like a responsible note to end on. Hey, we'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 4: It Could Happen here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 8: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com.
Speaker 4: Slash sources, thanks for listening.