Speaker 1: Okay, guys, here are my dates for the High and Mighty Tour. In August you can find me in Red Bank, New Jersey, Montclair, New Jersey, and Calgary that's Canada. And September I will be in Santa Barbara, San Diego, New York City, Philly and New Haven, Connecticut. October is Atlanta, Baltimore, Saginaw, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boise, Idaho and Spokan. And then in November I'll be in San Francisco. I'm coming to Salt Lake City, Austin, Houston, Dallas Babies, I'll be there. And then in December I am closing out my tour in Denver and Vancouver. So get your tickets at Chelseahandler dot com for the High and Mighty Tour. Come on up, come on, yes, Oh this is it, this is what we're talking about. Oh, Dug, can you believe how magical you? I wish our listeners could see how beautiful you are? But he just well, but he blends in with the sofa. You can't really see him, right, He's just a void. You could never see this beautiful brown eyes that you.
Speaker 2: Have layo white blanket over a beautiful.
Speaker 1: Hello Ben Bruno. Hi Ben, We're here to talk about Ben's new workout app. How many? What number is this of your workout apps? You've done a few before, So I have you need a microphone? Dumb ass? Oh, this is my personal trainer everyone, Ben Bruno, Ben Bruno Training. You can follow him on my Instagram at Ben Bruno Training.
Speaker 3: Ben Bruno Training.
Speaker 1: Okay, if I do this train dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If we have to show you how to use a microphone, world, this is my world.
Speaker 2: Does that hang out with you guys when you're working out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dog Doug comes with me to the gym. He comes with me wherever I go. He knows because he sees my bell packing all my medication, so he knows him on my way out, That's how he knows. When he sees a lot of prescription bottles, he's like, oh, she's leaving right.
Speaker 3: In the story of when Chun walked down, that will share two miles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a good story.
Speaker 3: Do you remember Chunk?
Speaker 2: I never met Chunk. Chunk was before my time.
Speaker 1: Chunk is the dog that made me a mother.
Speaker 3: When I met Chelsea, she was the mother to Chunk. I've trained Chelsea through many different dogs, employees, whatever, and also dogs. And the first dog was Chunk. Was that your first dog? Period? Famous because it was on your show right when I met you. Your show was not was done, Chelsea lately was done, but Chunk. So long story short. We went to this gym that was an underground parking garage and Chelsea and I got to talking and Chunk just meandered away at some point. So Chelsea's assistant, this is actually a true story. The gym was between if anybody knows Beverly Hills, it was in an alley between Roxbury and Linden, right off Wilshire, so smack dab in Beverly Hills if you don't know Beverly Hills. I don't know how long goes by, but it must have been. Chunk wasn't fast, so it had to be a while. His Chunk kind of walks slow. And so we get a call from Karen, her assistant, saying, one of your fans found Chunk two miles down the road on Wilsher. I'm not making this up. I'm not putting anything on this. Chunk just walked out of the garage and walked two miles down Wilshire and was so famous that some random person just spotted Chunk, and so Chelsea just I was thinking like, oh my god, we got to go get him. Chelsea goes, well, I don't want to get him. That's embarrassing. You go get him, and just hung up and Karen had to go pick up Chunk. I have no clue how Chunk lived through that.
Speaker 1: God, what about Chunk was so funny because Chunk was famous. So people would stop at stop lights when we were on our way to to the studio and they would recognize him, and people because his head would be out the right and oh, my god, is that Chunk? Is that Chunk because he had his bandana and it was kind of recognizable. And then I'd always be like, oh, yeah, come quickly take a picture if you want, get out of the car at the red light. And then one day after doing this, like every morning, it would happen pretty frequently, right, and then one day Chunk literally a woman was coming over to take a picture and Chunk just put his paw on the control window controller to put the window up. He had was like, fuck this ship, I'm sick of this.
Speaker 3: And with my family, what was the dog chronology?
Speaker 1: It was Chunk Chunk, and then Tammy, Sammy Gary at some point, but Gary.
Speaker 3: Was returned to Sunder.
Speaker 1: I think that was before then I had Hodor, who Molley, my cousin.
Speaker 3: Took because and then there was Burton Bernice.
Speaker 1: And then Burton Bernice, and then Doug and then ray j short lived. And we're going to get another one though there's one in my orca.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, you're bringing it from my I think.
Speaker 1: So that's the plans of right now there and we'll see.
Speaker 3: Remember when Bernice tumbled down, that was Tammy. It was Tammy.
Speaker 1: Tammy would follow me. Bernice would never fucking follow me. She would hide from me.
Speaker 3: Another funny story that I don't know if translates to words, because I think you had to be there. But Chelsea used to live on this giant hill. I'm not not exaggerating. It was huge and also it down really steep. So when Tammy was new and when Chelsea gets dogs, they don't look the best. When she first gets him, I don't know how to say that. She had a good heart, but she had very little hair. She had all these patches of hair and just looked like a hot mess. And so Chelsea and I were gonna go walk to play tennis at the bottom of her street, and we look up and Tammy had tried to run to meet us, but went on the steep part of the hill. So I'm not putting anything on this down this giant hill and everything, and then just kind of like shook it off and walked away.
Speaker 1: I was just like this step.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have no clue how Tammy lived. To tell about that.
Speaker 2: Well, I have one caller for us today and I have a couple other little questions, but we could just keep to one call.
Speaker 1: Well, first we want to talk about his fitness program. That's what he's here to promote. We want this for women.
Speaker 3: Thank you. By the way, this means a lot. Yeah. Yeah, because I quick backstory on my app, but I started it three years ago and then this past week it was a third party app service because I'm a tech moron and the program I'm proud of it. We have twenty five thousand people that do the app. It's a lot of people. Wow, which is you know, and it's really cool because I, you know, since I've known you, I've essentially just seen the same ten clients in person every time. So it's been a great way to do you want to.
Speaker 1: Talk about the other people you trained? Do you want to mention their names? Or do you not? Would you rather not?
Speaker 3: I mean it's going to just make you sound like a douche. Yeah you can, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Justin Timberlake, Jesse Beale, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, You've trained lots of basketball players.
Speaker 3: Well, so the interesting thing about that is that's what I like about the app is. You know, when I'm moved to LA, I didn't have a celebrity training background. I trained hockey players in Massachusetts, and then I moved here and got connected to you and some other people, and celebrity is an interesting thing to me as someone who comes from New Hampshire and like doesn't really it's kind of funny to me, like you name dropping that makes me seem like a starfucker, and really I just like watch ESPN all day. But there's a perceived expertise that comes from training celebrities, so like, thanks for that. But the training is I feel like training is I always say it's one of life's equalizers. But the training that you do is the exact same training that I did with moms back in Massachusetts. Is the same training that's on the app, because it's like, you know, I think people think I hate the term celebrity trainer because one, I feel like it's just a douchey term, but two, I think they there's this connotation like we're doing these wild workouts, right and at every point in the eleven years we've trained.
Speaker 1: Which is the longest relationship I've ever had with any man.
Speaker 3: Brothers, but think about it, we work out with dumbbells and a bench and very you know, basic workouts and stuff. And the training actors thing is funny to me because again, you know, I'm sure there's a lot of fields like this. I'm sure your hair people benefit, your makeup people benefit. There just is a perceived expertise with celebrity. But when I think of actors, you know, as somebody who came from an athletic training background, I look at trainers that train the athletes and be like, well, they really know what they're doing, and actors, I'm like, those are like the theater kids that aren't really that athletic. So the training isn't always what it's hyped up to be, as you know, but is it hyped to be though? No, I think that you know, a lot of people probably know of me, which is great because I train you and people like you, famous people. But at the same time, I think you would agree with me. This isn't a knock. Our workouts are very.
Speaker 1: Average, you know, but I'm very strong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're really strong, but now I'm.
Speaker 1: Lifting like thirty five. I'm just squatting with like thirty five pound dumbbells and stuff.
Speaker 3: We do thirty five and awesome.
Speaker 1: And I'm tinier and stronger than I've ever been at fifty one years old. First of all, So any ladies that are watching this or listening to this, like just you know, this whole myth about weightlifting and this idea, this kind of fallacy that it makes you bigger is not true. It makes you smaller.
Speaker 3: But I think what what I'm trying to do with this app is just basically bring the training that I do with you and my other clients to everyone that has to say you know, because for the people listening, Chelsea works out with dumbbells and a bench at hurt you know, and slightly more at my house, but not crazy, and you know, with good programming and just slow and steady progression. It goes along with how long is the course? Each program six weeks, but there's seven total programs. And then what I basically did is what I created that just came out a week ago. That's is when I first started my app. It was a test to myself to see if I could do it as a tech moron, but also just see who was interested. And I learned that I overshot my audience a little in the sense I thought they were going to be more gym people like me. But there's a lot of beginners, and so that is not there's no judgment to that. I think that everyone follows the same process. And when I was scrolling my phone last week with your videos, I realized we didn't do any videos for like the first three years we trained, and I just shared like pictures of you to just say, oh I trained, celebrity whatever. But your workouts were nothing to even they weren't even post worthy because you use no because you're new to it. And but my point is, I think that the online fitness social media world shafts beginners a little bit because because people really like think of you know, people post the hard stuff, the novelties stuff, the cool looking move in order to get clicks. But everyone that is doing those moves started with the basics. But we never share that because it doesn't look cool. And I never share that with my clients because I'm not trying to throw them under the bus and say, here's Chelsea lunging with five pound dumbells. But you did, and now you're lunging with thirty pound dumbbells, and I'll show that because that's badass. But you know, the thing about it is like if somebody listening to this without a training background tried to do what you do now after training with me for eleven years, they'd hurt themselves. And so it's not just you know, the further along programs are what you're currently doing. You know, we have programs if you've never done it, it's to kind of build up because I think, think about how when I met you, I came to your house and you had dumbbells up to eight pounds and we worked out on a deck and that was it. And so we've come a long way since then. But I think that when enough time goes by to forget that stage.
Speaker 1: But so the program instructs people how to, like what level to start with right, Yes, for beginners or people who are just getting into.
Speaker 3: Wait, it totally walks people through. I set out to make it as close to training the person as you can get. So each each exercise from like every warm up move. You would actually hate it because you think I talk too much, But I give a one and a half minute right now tutorial for every single move. Okay, well I do it safely, how much weight to do, how to start whatever, and so you can. Everyone has to walk before they run. And I think that most women that aren't lifelong gym heads come into it with fear either about bulking up or getting hurt, and so I think that I really just shoot to meet people where they're at and start slow and then building.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also just to know that like that is not first of all, as we get older, we need to be stronger. Period. It's for your bone density. It's so good for your bone density. It's so good for your like melean muscle mass. Yeah, your hormones. Everything, Like if I don't get a workout in for a couple of days, I start to get like ordinary, which is not a thing I would ever thought. I would say, you know, and even when I'm not with him, which is most of the time because now I'm traveling a lot. But like I have the same situation.
Speaker 3: You've actually tried the app? I know you won't, but like I, I'll try it.
Speaker 1: Tell people how they can download the app?
Speaker 3: How do they do through the link on my Instagram? Okay, and they have this It's cool. I tried to make it very user friendly. I have seven programs and you can select which one you want in the series, and the more programs you buy, it adds like crazy discounts on top of it gets progressively cheaper and it's you know, it's it's a very cost effective, simple program.
Speaker 1: We love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we love it.
Speaker 1: Did you do we have fitness questions?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay, we have some couple of squetch of callers. Yeah, okay, you want to put your headphones on?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, Carla says, Hi, Chelsea and crew from down Under. I need some help and have nothing in the toolbox for my current situation. I'm a forty four year old professional CPA living independently with multiple gleurosis. It's been about eleven years living with the diagnosis, and I've always found refuge in movement and exercise. My MS diagnosis was the best motivation to explore activities that challenge and support my body. I work out around four days a week, walking outdoors, pilates, and swimming. I see a physio who has been life changing with craniosacral therapy, but a sudden onset of fatigue is making it impossible to continue my normal workout schedule. I'm very deliberate and sensible with my workouts, but would like some tips on how to manage fatigue and working out and how I could start simple workouts at home. I'd love to get safely into weights and have no idea where to start. Oh perfect, Yeah, I have some basic dumbells and a bar bell at home and unsure if I should start at two kilograms, ten kilograms or twenty kilograms. Do you have any tips on where to start? My goal is functional strength?
Speaker 1: Carla, Hi, Carla love this Hello, Hi Carla ing Hi, Hi. This is my personal trainer. So this has been Bruno and he just launched an app that you could exercise app and not just launched you launched his newest exercise app. So this is a perfect app for you. You can download it. He has you know.
Speaker 3: A program that I would recommend for you is called intro To Strength Training. It's a beginner program. But listening to what Catherine just said, I think it's really important to remember with exercise that the devil's in the dose, and so when you're really struggling with fatigue. Really, I think that exercise gives you energy as long as you don't overdo it, but if you overdo it, it'll suck your energy. So I really recommend people I always say seven out of ten hard in each set and seven out of ten hard in each workout. So what that means is you do your set where you could do a few more reps, but you stop short because I think going to true failure is where injury happens and that'll zap your energy. And then stopping the workout before you feel crushed will go a long way and you just make long term, sustainable progress. So I would say consistent workouts two times a week, but not crushing yourself. I think that too many people look at a workout program as all or nothing. I'm either just going to go all in or it's not worthing. I do that, yeah, and I think.
Speaker 4: That, yeah, I've been doing that in the paw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I hadn't to me very well. Yeah. Part of why I was so grateful that Chelsea had me on here is I think a lot of the mainstream info to women about strength training. I love it because I love that strength training is becoming more popular, but I think a lot of the advice comes from men and women like me who have worked out hard their whole life and just like it. But they're trying to make those recommendations ubiquitous to everyone that just is brand new to training, and so it doesn't have to be that intense. A lot of the stuff that I see is telling women with no background that you have to go to failure, that you have to do prints and super heavy weights, and I don't think you need to do any of that. I think it wouldn't make sense for a woman just starting out to train like they're training for the NFL Combine. So it's sort of a gentle, simple, sustainable program will go a long way. And also, remember the new buzzword that I actually like is called progressive overload. People teach women to progressively increase the weights, but I think the message that gets lost and can actually be defeating for women is that for example, Chelsea is lifting thirty five pound dumbbells now, and we started with five or ten pound dumbbells, so that's only like five or six weight increases in eleven years. So I think that sometimes when you really break it down like that, if we were able to increase the way, you know, I see a lot of simple recommendations on mainstream women's podcast telling women to try to bump the weights up five pounds every time, and that sounds good and that works initially. But if that were the case Chelsea and I have conservatively done two thousand workouts, she'd be lifting ten thousand pounds on every single exercise.
Speaker 1: But I also think that something that you're saying is really important, like with your level of energy and everything, Like sometimes you can go in the gym and sometimes I'll just do a twenty minute workout and that gives me the energy that I need. You don't have to commit to doing forty five minutes or an hour every single time. And if you do download event's programs, each class is.
Speaker 3: What it's like, thirty forty minutes, thirty.
Speaker 1: Forty minutes, but you know, you don't have to finish the whole thing. If you're not feeling it, you just kind of want to do a little bit of something when you feel, you know, exactly right.
Speaker 3: I think it's also important to note too that when people say social media is a highlight reel, so is fitness. And I'm guilty of that in the sense that I'll show the day that Chelsea lifts thirty five pounds because I'm trying to make her look good. I'm trying to make myself look good and whatever. But we're not doing that every time, if that makes sense. Some days we might only lift twenty pound dumbills and live to fight another day when she's tired or feeling sore, you know whatever.
Speaker 4: Oh one hundred percent. Yeah, I've really been overdoing it in the past probably three months, and that sort of led.
Speaker 3: To a bit of burnout.
Speaker 4: So totally at the moment, I'm just you know, some days it's only just a walk around the block. But yeah, I think getting into a program and knowing that even if I just do like the twenty minutes thirty minutes, maybe one day it might be ten minutes. Like I think, Yeah, I like to keep that habit of doing that daily or you know, at least four or five times a week some sort of movement and exercise because I found in those times where I let it all go, well, then you sort of don't want to pick it up again. So it's yeah, having another tool to give me a bit of motivation do something a little bit differently. Don's really great?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, great, Thank you so much for calling in. Thanks Carlos, so amazing, Thank you.
Speaker 2: By all right, do we want to do another question?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do another question.
Speaker 2: All right, Well I have getting my confidence back as an athlete, or my brother in law works.
Speaker 1: Out too much? To your brother in law works out too much?
Speaker 2: Okay, so Amy says Dear Chelsea. My younger sister has been married for two years and has been with him for six years, and six months ago they had a baby. It should be noted that it was him who initiated and pushed to have a baby, not her. My sister has absolutely loved being a mother, and she's objectively a fantastic parent. Her husband, on the other hand, has been absent ever since the baby was born. He's at the gym. She gave birth on a Thursday, he came home on a Saturday, and then Monday morning he began twice a day workout routine. He works out for an hour before work, then works all day, and then three times a week meets up with his friends to go rock climbing for several hours. On the weekends, he often goes climbing or to the gym, or has evening plans with friends. Meanwhile, my sister is home with the baby. Of all of this, my sister has spent most of these past six months alone with the baby. He seems truly addicted to fitness. He's always been interested in it, but ever since the baby was born, it's gone to another level. My sister has talked to him many times, but he always tells her that he loves being at home, but he also loves being social and sees it as his social time with his friends. When she forces him to stay home, he's miserable and constantly checking his phone. I'm not sure what to do as the sister in law. I love my sister and it's obvious to me she isn't very happy. He doesn't see it as a problem because when he is home, he's very present. That being said, I don't know how to help. I have to stop myself from saying things like, wow, he sucks. The truth is he is great when he's home. He's just never home. Any help would be appreciated. Sometimes an outside perspective is what's needed.
Speaker 1: Amy, I have a brother in law who over exercises. Yeah, yeah, he gets home, he works out, then he goes on a bike ride, then he goes da da da da. But I mean, yeah, I don't ever, I don't know. I don't know. But depnds a new dad and a trainer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, as a dude, I kind of get it. I would imagine that both the guys you're talking about exercise more for mental reasons than physical reasons. I find working out to be a good mental outlet for me, and I'm in new dat. I mean, I think this guy kind of needs to realize if you're gonna have kids, you have to give up some shit in the beginning. It's just like very you know, that's just what it is. My life got pretty small the last four months. And I understand where he's coming from in the sense that sometimes I miss my old life, but I think that it is what it is. But in terms of working out, working out twice a day is just silly. From a workout perspective, So I think that's probably more of a mental outlet, and I think with in terms of working out, I will tell you when I get busy, I have a gym in my garage, but I just work out for twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: I would just call him out to his face. As a sister in law, you have every right to do that. As a sister in law.
Speaker 3: This doesn't feel like a workout question to me. If I feel like I just put on like my new dad hat and I'm like, dude, you just got to like be home.
Speaker 1: It covers two bases. Yeah, the expertise in two areas now.
Speaker 3: But I will say as a guy, I feel like men when they deal with stress. For me, a big part of working out is that the common emotion I feel like as life comes at me is anger, more so than sadness or stuff. And so for me, working out has always been an outlet. I when I'm pissed off, I just lift really heavy, and it's like a lot more socially acceptable than cussing out your partner, cussing out your neighbor, you know whatever. Actually, I'll tell you, you know, Chelsea and I are pretty close in a lot of ways. I view her kind of like a sister. I think you would probably agree in that way. In three or four days, I.
Speaker 1: View you as a sister.
Speaker 3: Also, Hey girl, no, but I she said she sent me this text, and I was just she caught me in the wrong mood, and I just responded like a dick, and then I just had to, like, a couple hours later, I was like, oh, sorry, but I think that I understand where this guy is coming from, because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard for guys with the dead, kids for the dead. It's really really hard. This has been the hardest four months of Ben's life.
Speaker 3: It comes with amazing things, and it's also really hard. And at the same time, I think everyone tells me that these are the times I'll miss, and so I think this dude that's rock climbing with the homies is going to regret that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one, Like, I get that it's a social outlet, but like, guess what, you had a baby, like you don't get to hang out with the Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You should definitely say something. I would say something as a sister in law, I would say something.
Speaker 2: And keep saying something until he like comes correct. What would you say is like what's acceptable for a new dad, like should he just be doing is before work?
Speaker 3: Ones like I don't know. I mean, I don't want to ever comment on people's relationships. We have a situation my wife and I both work from home, so it's the other extreme of just we're just both a home all day every day. I do think it's important to take space in you time, but definitely not every day and definitely not for four hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and definitely not with a newborn like Siler like, you have to like acclimate and give up things. You have to sacrifice. You've made a sacrifice, You've had a child, now you have to This is why many people don't have children, because they can't they don't have room for this kind of sacrifice. But once you have them, you have to make the sacrifice and you have to give up some of the things you love, not forever, but for the you know, that incremental important period of time to make sure that your baby is okay and that you're bonding totally.
Speaker 3: And one thing that I've learned what I was talking before about the devils in the dose, I think when you talk about taking me time, the same things apply. So I know for my wife, Nicole and I are recharging right now. Might be like just thirty minutes solo, you know, and that seems acceptable. I think four hours every day is. It's not you know, you're going to probably run into some significant real life relationship problem.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's get Ben back To's baby.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ben?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Ben? Do you want to give your workout program another shout out for our minisode?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's called Bruno Strong. It's so strong. It's all through the link on my Instagram Instagram, and I have a website, Ben Bruno dot com, and I'm very thankful for you giving me this opportunity because I find that everyone that signs up for the program has really liked it. It's a weird thing delving into the online stuff because you know, I'm a true tech moron and you know, but as I've learned that if I just publish the workouts that I do with my clients and stuff, it has really resonated with people. And I appreciate you giving me your platform because a lot of the stuff that I do, I speak to other trainers and it's kind of like an echo chamber where we obviously all think the same and I think that exercise for people who haven't done it before, haven't done it consistently, it's truly life changing. I think, yeah, you know, I know that sounds like hyperbole. I think you would say it's changed your life totally, you know, making it part of your routine, and so I hope to just bring that to more people.
Speaker 1: Awesome, thanks for coming in, Ben Bruno, thanks for being here, and thanks for showing me for being such a ticket. You showed me how to edit a video this morning. Well you're working kind I know, he showed me. I was like, hey, I need to get rid of this last part.
Speaker 3: I spent the last three years just swearing at my computer and my phone. But slowly but surely I'm getting better.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, everybody download the app, start weightlifting, get your shit together. Summer is here. People.
Speaker 2: If you want advice from Chelsea, right into Dear Chelsea podcast at gmail dot com. Dear Chelsea is a production of iHeartMedia. Follow Chelsea on all socials at Chelsea Handler, and find Catherine on TikTok at flash Cadabra. Dear Chelsea is edited and engineered by Brandon Dickert executive producer Catherine law Find full videosodes and minisodes now on Netflix, and get tickets to see