Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Hi, It's sucksha. We published our full interview of Zero early this week, looking at what the UK's new Prime Minister, Andy Burnham can do to bring down the country's stubbornly high energy costs. It's a great conversation with British green entrepreneur and political donor Dale Vince. I hope you will listen to it. Today we have a bonus episode from our sister podcast, Bloomberg Australia. David Stringer, Managing Editor of Asia at Bloomberg Green, shares the lessons from one of the world's most remote climate observation stations at the edge of Tasmania. He also shares the latest on climate and energy politics in Australia.
Speaker 3: Hello. I'm Rebecca Joans and this is the Bloomberg Australia podcast, where we take you inside the biggest stories defining Australia's place in forlobal business. This week, what a Lonely Tower in Tazi tells us about the future of the planet. On the remote northwestern tip of Tasmania stands a monitoring station that samples some of the cleanest air on Earth for nearly fifty years, scientists have used it to track the changing composition of the atmosphere, making it one of the world's most important windows into humanity's impact on the climate. David Stringer, who leads climate in the ESG coverage for Bloomberg News in Asia, recently visited this station and he joins me this week to explain why as governments, businesses and investors grapple with a warming planet, the data collected here has never been more valuable. David, welcome back to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me now.
Speaker 3: As our regular listeners would well know, you and I share a disk pod here in the Melbourne newsroom, and it was a little while back I couldn't help but overhear you booking some pretty cool travel. At first I thought you were going on holidays to a climate monitoring station, and look, I wouldn't put it past you, but no, it was a reporting trip. So David, could you just start by painting a picture for us of just how secluded this place is and why it's become such a lynchpin for global climate science.
Speaker 1: Thanks Rebecca.
Speaker 4: As you said, Cape grim Is is really on the northwestern tip of Tasmania, and.
Speaker 1: It really does feel like the edge of the map. You know.
Speaker 4: The air pollution station is perched on this sort of tossig dotted cliffs overlooking incredibly dramatic crescent shape bay. It's a really unspoiled landscape.
Speaker 1: You know. Actually access is limited.
Speaker 4: People can't usually visit there because it's a private agricultural station, you know. And the closest population center is the town of Smith, and that's a place of about four thousand people. That's a forty five minute drive away. And what makes this site so special is the thing that you feel as soon as you step out of a vehicle, as soon as I opened a car door. It's the wind gusts that really do whip across the landscape. The lab sits within something we call the Roaring forties, the band of Southern Hemisphere latitudes that are really known for powerful and consistent westerly winds. And there's a story that kind of encapsulates why that's important. So this site began its work, began its measurements in nineteen seventy six, and it was all pretty ramshackle. Part of the laboratory at that time was a caravan that had been donated by NASA. They actually used it to track the Apollo missions, which they did from out back Australia. After about a year, the scientists realized that the winds were so strong they needed to permanently fix that caravan to the ground because the gusts were buffeting it so hard that the vibrations were disrupting the measurements. To understand the site's importance, This is just one of three premiere global air pollution observatories. There's Mana Loa in Hawaii, Alert in the Canadian Arctic and Tasmania, and really it's the data from those three places that is used by global policymakers and ultimately that's the basis of what we understand about how the climate is changing.
Speaker 3: So I was right. You would have gone to that place for holiday, wouldn't David. It's often said that the air at this station is among the most pristine on the planet. Can we look at the long term data, what is that telling us about the atmosphere right now?
Speaker 4: That air really is extraordinary and genuinely it is some of the cleanest in the world. And when the wind can diditions are right, the air reaching to that part of Tasmania has traveled literally thousands of kilometers across the southern Ocean. Basically, you can think of it all the way from the kind of tip of South America, and it's passed over the ocean without being disturbed by cities, by heavy industry, by pollution sources. That's what makes it valuable. It's air that's as close to untainted as you can find. The sciences they call it baseline air. Basically it allows them to see the underlying signals of climate change. They can use measurements of pollutants in that air to see what's natural variability, you know, what's a result of seasonal cycles, and crucially, what is changing due to human impacts. When we think about carbon dioxide, the major greenhouse gas fueling climate change, what the data from that site in Tasmania shows us is the most extraordinary acceleration of CO two from about the Industrial Revolution onwards. You know, scientists compare the data since nineteen seventy six to much earlier records that they get from from sampling Antarctic ice cools, and you can literally see.
Speaker 1: You can chart the change.
Speaker 4: And in fact they have even in Smithton at an office they have there on the front of the building, they literally have the chart so people who live there can see it, and it's hundreds and hundreds of years of essentially a flat line, and then around the time of the Industrial Revolution, it's incredibly steep vertical line shooting upwards and one that isn't yet bending.
Speaker 3: Back down profound and David beyond carbon. They are tracking a massive array of pollutants at this station, and that in itself is quite a complex task. I did like in your story your chat with one of the scientists who worked at the station who said that, you know, she was still trying to work out how to actually use the equipment, which is obviously almost as old as she was. How has this decades long record of tracing various different guesses shifted the way that we are understanding our own environmental footprint?
Speaker 1: Well, that's right.
Speaker 4: That the sample sort of, as it was explained to me, sort of about you know, more than one hundred gases, air pollutants, aerosols. They look at how even things like how how do clouds fam and what impact does that have? You get a real center of that at the site. You know, I stood up on this sort of weathered rooftop deck. You know, there's a spinning anometer. There's masts poking up between these mossy wooden platforms, and then towering over it all is this eighty meter high telecommunications tower near the top has these air vents sucking in that air, bringing it through pipes and into these scientific equipment, you know, machines, some of which, as you say, are sort of you know at this point fifty years old. There's a great example that the scientists give of like how has that had an impact? You know, how is this monitoring changed things? From the late nineteen eighties there was huge global success in limiting ozone depleting chlorophor carbons CFCs. Now Cape grim was was one of the sites that detected this unexpected slowdown in the rate of reduction of emissions in about twenty twelve, and that was in CFC eleven, really potent pollutant. Now, eventually that anomaly was traced back to eastern China. The government in Beijing acted essentially they fixed the problem and then you can see that curve begin to bend back down. You know, it was a problem that was detected and solved all.
Speaker 1: Within less than a decade.
Speaker 4: And so that's a really good vivid illustration of the impact that their work can have.
Speaker 3: David, climate science is often at the mercy of political whims. As we know, we've seen funding shifts happen in the US recently. How is the financial support for this kind of research holding up in Australia.
Speaker 4: Well, you're right, globally, the most dramatic impacts we've seen have been in the US. You know, we've seen funding for climate research reduced quite dramatically. We've seen the kinds of information even that government funded agencies can publicize altered. It's not that everywhere else is immune to those pressures. I mean here in Australia, scientists talk about, you know, coming under pressure even as the government actually increases overall funding for the national agency, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization. You know, the CSIRO has been criticized by staff for plans to cut research roles. It's been criticized over changes to the way it produces climate modeling. All of that, even as that total share of funding does increase. You know, Now when it comes to this site in Tasmania, it's jointly operated by the Bureau of Meteorology and CSIRO, and it isn't a location that's expected to be to be impacted. But you know, even here in Australia when the the atmosphere, if you forgive the pun and you know around climate funding is more.
Speaker 1: Benign, not immune. We are seeing changes in the science.
Speaker 3: Let's stick with policy for a moment. You know, the Albanesi government has stepped up with some more ambitious admissions targets David, between the rise of electric vehicles and new storage projects. Are we seeing these changes actually move the needle?
Speaker 4: Yet we are seeing some impact. Is it moving the needle? Is it moving the needle enough? I think those are questions that it's probably too.
Speaker 1: Early to say. But what we do know is that.
Speaker 4: Australia's annual greenhouse gas emissions fell about two percent last year and that was largely the result of more renewable energy, less use of fossil fuels and the accelerating adoption of electric vehicles. And when it comes to evs, we've seen that since then, since the end of last year, that adoption rate has increased only further. Australia will need to sustain momentum. You know, Albanesi's government has pledged to reduce emissions between sixty two and seventy percent of two thousand five levels by twenty thirty five. To get that, they have to go further, They have to do more, and that's not a given, particularly because support for those ambitions is waning at best among Australia's opposition parties. You know, the main Liberal National Coalition has pledged to dump Australia's net zero target. You know, it says that it's destroying Australia's economy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I mean I think it is important to stay with that friction point just for a moment, because I am interested too in how the government is navigating some of the more vocal pushback that we've seen coming from the One Nation party of recent times.
Speaker 4: Well, that's right, and you know, globally we've seen parties, particularly on the political right, push back much harder than before against targets to curb emissions and against the costs of decarbonization. And One Nation certainly has been far more vocal than we've seen previously in Australia, certainly more vocal and more explicit than the Liberal National Coalition. You know, One Nation says austral early as climate plans are economic suicide. It says that you know, it openly questions the scientific consensus on global warming and actually makes a virtue, you know, as it says, of being the only party to question climate science.
Speaker 3: Finally, David, Australia is also positioning itself for a major role in an upcoming UN Climate talks, albeit through a somewhat unique strategy. I'm interested in what that roadmap looks like now and also how the Prime Minister is intending on engaging with Pacific leaders, who of course are all in this region with US bigger countries like Australia and New Zealand.
Speaker 4: Well sorry, well Australia was hoping to host this year's big annual global Climate Summit COP thirty one as it's known, but ultimately lost out in what was a pretty contentious process to Turkey. So the result is quite an unusual arrangement. The talks themselves will take place in Antalia in Turkey in November, and yet it is Australian officials who will be in charge of the process of negotiations, and in fact Chris Bowie, in Australia's Climate Change and Energy Minister, he'll be the President of negotiations. That's a pretty unenviable task getting consensus on climate action among about two hundred nations, but it's one that he says that he's relishing. Part of Australia's rationale for bidding in the first place was really to shine a spotlight on Pacific island nations. But you know, we've seen the Prime Minister talking just in the past couple of days to some of those specific leaders, and what they'll really want to see is not just talk, not just meetings. They need more money, and they need more support, and they need it now.
Speaker 3: And what do you think the odds of them getting any sort of resolution on any of those asks?
Speaker 4: H I think it is going to be a pretty difficult ask to as it is in any of these global climate negotiations, to significantly increase support and particularly financial support for the entire developing world, not just the Pacific. But I think what they'll hope is they can show what the reality is on the ground and the kinds of impacts they're experiencing right now, and.
Speaker 3: The happenings at Cape Grim are part of that process as well.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: The only way we can know how the climate is changing is to measure it, to have that record, and to see it in the data that's produced in places like Tasmania.
Speaker 3: You can read David's story this weekend on Bloomberg Weekend, available at Bloomberg dot com for subscribers and on the Bloomberg terminal. If you found today's conversation insightful, be sure to follow the Bloomberg Australia podcast wherever you listen. This episode is recorded on the traditional lands of the Wandery People who was edited by Chris Burg and produced by Justin Millaner special thanks go out to end Johnson. I'm Rebecca Jones. We'll see you next week.