Speaker 1: Give us the timeline for for Drake Shackcent.
Speaker 2: We don't have a timeline.
Speaker 1: I know it won't be any time in camp, so we got to see how rehab continues to go.
Speaker 2: But definitely not any time in camp. Worse than you know initially expect.
Speaker 1: I mean, anytime you do that type of surgery that he had. McGlinchey I think had a similar one. But it's those are those are big surgeries. They're tough to come back from and you never know how they're gonna react, and we always know what's possibility to take a long time, and it's taken a long time.
Speaker 2: Looked pretty substantial. Did he have surgery, No, he hasn't had surgery yet.
Speaker 1: He's still got one more doctor to talk to today. I'll answer for you guys next time I speak with you.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: A lot of your top offensive guys not right because it was in the team stuff, but just from r IV, you looked like the defense really was all over. Did you feel like defense at the edge today? Yeah, I would say so, you know, especially down there in the red zone where it's tighter.
Speaker 2: Just the tighter coverages and stuff. They definitely did.
Speaker 1: First day of pads, I thought it helped with our protections and stuff a little bit.
Speaker 2: Definitely thought the.
Speaker 1: Offense got the better half in the run period at the beginning, but the way the rest of practice when I'd say it was obvious with the d you said the first day of pads, you know, when you have that here and obviously the intensity, energy and everything that comes with that. Did you see more explosiveness from them today or more energy or you know what?
Speaker 2: Did what did that bring?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there's always there's always a different element when pads go on. I think there's a little more butterflies for guys and stuff like that, But you try to make it the same stuff that we've done the last four days. You can thud running backs up, which is nicer you don't just have to tag them off. But there were more thuds you heard of the pads a little bit more. But uh, you know, we show a lot of clips before we get out to practice to make sure they're not anyone's going out there and just acting like it's game day because we got pads on, So we practiced pretty hard without them, and we like to know nothing to change. But it feels a little bit safer for having those on today here, so all just kind of ease them in then get.
Speaker 2: Them into team drills. Yeah, we're hoping. You know, we wanted him to go today.
Speaker 1: See how a response tonight in tomorrow morning when he comes in. If if that's good, he should be in practice tomorrow.
Speaker 2: What do you say from Trent Taylor? It seems like he's pretty involved in the turns and then he.
Speaker 1: Was also the ones today on offense. Yeah, Trent is I love having Trend back here. You know, Trent can help out anywhere. Trent such good football player. The moment's never too big for him. He knows the offense well, he can hop in at all three spots, competes his ass off and everything he does. And he's very valid valuable as returner too. So you know, especially having a lot of guys in and out, it's good to have some versatility there with Trent.
Speaker 2: Can you bring him back as a returner at first or just all around?
Speaker 1: No, I mean, you always want a group of receivers in camp, and you know you're gonna get a few in the draft, possibly a free agency after the draft.
Speaker 2: You got the guys that you already have on the roster and you want.
Speaker 1: To add a harder competition, and I always love getting some veterans in here who know how to play, who the game's not too big for that hopefully can add competition and possibly make your team or make guys better who have to be very good to beat out some guys like that. And you always like as like that was possible practice squad players too, because you know when they have experience and something happens on a Friday or Saturday.
Speaker 2: The game's never too big for him. You can get him up and they don't blink.
Speaker 1: Two had a nice chunk play today because to get him out there and.
Speaker 2: After last year we hit the drops and then he got hurt. It was kind of almost like a lost year for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I know that was frustrating for him. I mean, to go through camp. You know a lot of times, you guys, you go through camp and you got to get worse before you get better. But the stuff when you have a big injury like he did, he's been working his butt off to get back and I know he did that throughout OTAs and for him to you know, get his fifth practice in a day and to finally make it to get the pads On to get some catches too. I was happy for him, and hopefully we'll continue like.
Speaker 2: The timeline to be through counting and Grenda.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there those are grade ones. I think so, oh, no, Isaac was worse. You know that's that's gonna be a few weeks. Jake is in a similar boatist Tay. I think it was like a ten day guess whenever that started.
Speaker 2: So hopefully sometime next week.
Speaker 1: We're watching your kickoff returns, seeing a number of reps, do you do you feel like you have a good idea of what traits you like in your return guys.
Speaker 2: You want bigger guys, smaller guys, not totally. You want the best guy.
Speaker 1: You know, they come in all shapes and sizes, but it's you want to You want the fastest, quickest, biggest guy possible.
Speaker 2: But they usually don't make it exactly like that.
Speaker 1: So you also want some smart guys too, and just how they can not necessarily smart, but how they track the ball.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be different. I don't know what.
Speaker 1: We don't know what type of balls are coming back there. And you almost need like a shortstop too, because the quicker you can pick those balls up and judge it right. The more you can get in track with the blockers and in line with them, which is gonna happen real fast. So there's so many variables that are going into it. So we're just trying to learn by watching it and thinking about it, but we're not truly going to learn, so we get some experience at it. Coach last week Brock said, you noticed intensity and the step always in the veterans based on where you guys have been. How close in the Super Bowl? Do you notice a different intensity this time in training camp? And I'll look in the guy's eyes that they're hunger to get to get back and over the top. I mean, I don't no different than last year. I mean, I don't think you can have that look much more than we have had. So I think guys that's always on their mind, you know, especially with our history and stuff, but you also want to you like that on guy's mind, but you also want it off their mind. I mean, it's about getting better each day. I mean, everyone knows our goal and what we expect, but you can't think totally how it ends. You gotta start with where it begins, and you got to get better each day all the way to the end, and you got to play your best on the last day of the season, whatever that is.
Speaker 2: So that's what we're focusing on. Now.
Speaker 1: Are there a benefit at all with I watch it on the sideline versus.
Speaker 2: Not being here and what do you hope that he gets out of there physically even know it's not participate.
Speaker 1: Oh, I just, I just I think it's good when you know, any of these guys had the business part of the contracts going on and everything. I think it's always good to not get too far away from football. You know, at least he can be with his teammates here meetings, get some work with the strength and condition and coaches, things like that, and so hopefully when things work out, it just makes a little bit of a smooth transition. Like the last two years, Elijah Mintril was a pretty clear cut number two tailback and that started to blur at all with Jordan Mason playing like he has. I mean, I'd say nothing against Elijah, and there's been no fall off in Elijah at all, but JP runs at a very high level. I mean, I see both of those guys that if Christian's not in there, not going and we always expect, no matter who we've had in the past, that that number two, number three, sometimes our fourth guy comes in and if their numbers called, we expect them to run like a starting back. Just how many reps do they get at it, how long do they last, and things like that. And JP wasn't there right away, but he got there pretty quick, and he did a hell of a job for us last year. And we'll see how camp plays out. But I love both of those guys and got some death behind him too. He was really specifical with the branch ause, like did he look back on the Super Bowl and have any regrets or he looks at a couple of third down passed offs to the one at the end another one later in the regulation. Have you gone over with them that specifically, like plate live plays and those the two plays you would circle to. Yeah, that's yeah, that's one of the hardest things, you know. I take like a month off of it before I can handle it, But then I get a couple of month head start before those guys do. And by the time they've gone here, I've seen it a thousand times, not just in game order, but cut ups things like that, and so they get here and sometime in phase one where you're going through cutups and stuff, and then it's hey, there's only one game that we haven't reviewed from last year because the season ended after it, and we always review games together, so we took a time where I reviewed it all with him and the other quarterbacks were in the meeting room the other coaches. And it's always hard to watch that stuff because so many emotions are attached to it, But after you do, when you start to assess it and look at things, you put in perspective and find a way to get better from it. Talking about hungry, we know it's Nick Bosa's stay up with him as a rookie's coach. Note, what do you think about that?
Speaker 2: And who is him that important to Nick?
Speaker 1: Nick is mioks the man I like when he has days off and makes it's a little more efficient for offense.
Speaker 2: We can get some more work in.
Speaker 1: But Nick nicks also he's got a standard his routine so he can keep being Nick and continuing to take it to another level. But he handled everything the right way. I think it was hard on him just missing all of camp last year. And you know Nick's very he thinks about everything, every rep, everything he does, and so do we, and we've got a good plan for him and he's got a lot of working so far, a lot more than last year at this time, and we believe that will continue.
Speaker 2: Are there any other defense to see just how the depth is? Yeah, all of them.
Speaker 1: For the depth is because we talked to Drake's not gonna be able to participate, So focus on those guys reps. I mean, we knew that coming in with Drake, and you know we've also you know, bringing in Tour and bringing them Leonard. You know, we've we've addressed that and especially with some of the.
Speaker 2: Guys that we lost.
Speaker 1: So we feel good about what we came in with our D line and five practices in feel just as good, if not better today beginning the second week of training camp.
Speaker 2: So far, has there.
Speaker 1: Been anything or any player in particular that has surprised you or impressed you in a way that you're like, wow, Okay, No, I mean a lot of guys have impressed me. But it's also so early in camp, and you know it's I try to I don't try to get too high or low on anybody.
Speaker 2: We're not through our install.
Speaker 1: Yet today it was our first day of pads, So some guys will look real good one day and tail off a little bit the next day. But we've got to get a little bit more into it before, especially with the pads on, before guys start separating themselves. Had a pretty good hip start on jobs in terms of the system.
Speaker 2: How do you see that playing out?
Speaker 1: Determining which one's gonna be just them continuing to get equal reps and usually plays itself out. You know, you like it for one of them not to make it to they make the decision. You know, usually we all can see it and it eventually takes care of itself and the players know, the coaches know, and it's not a tough decision.
Speaker 2: If it is a real tough decision.
Speaker 1: Hopefully that's a good problem because they're both playing so well that they eventually got to make a decision. But feel pretty confident one of them will separate themselves as it goes all right, Thanks guys,