Speaker 1: Following is the production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 6: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Ready for a break?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Nick Eatman, Brian brought Us and bar Garcia and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: It is Wednesday, June seventh, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number ten. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are alive from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star War presented by Miller like the Only Beer of the Dallas Cowboys. This is our final show before we take a little break.
Speaker 5: I need a break, guys, and so we're gonna take a little break here.
Speaker 2: We got about I don't know, six weeks or so before we'll be heading knox Art, California for a training camp and uh and doing some some new things, some different things.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: But we need a little time to kind of revamp and and do some changes and move around.
Speaker 5: Some stuff and and so we'll do that.
Speaker 2: We'll take a little break and let you guys have a little bit of time to miss us before we had to training camp.
Speaker 3: If you really want to, if you if you don't miss me, Yeah, we have Love with the Start podcast. You can listen to.
Speaker 5: Y'all gonna keep going. We're gonna do this little yeah, this little Bobby Yeah.
Speaker 3: Partnership we had. So I was able to mention that if I can thank you, but yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I actually want to.
Speaker 8: That's what him saying. You know some shows are quitting.
Speaker 5: But now are giving up.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, this show, this show has a tradition of breaks.
Speaker 5: Yes we do.
Speaker 8: We always do it.
Speaker 9: This is not something new, even when I was with you guys Dallas Cowboys dot com. But if you feel in clent, if you feel in client on a lot of these same platforms, I'd be Love with the Start.
Speaker 5: I do want to say.
Speaker 2: And this is just because I was talking to Amber, like today is the day I give a big presentation to the Jones family about kind of our business and stuff like that, and so I wanted to point out something that as a part of my research and getting ready for that presentation, I saw some numbers and I have to thank our listeners because this show, this show, Cowboys break. We're in our nineteen season now, but last year we had another record year. We had five point five million downloads of the first show across all platforms, by far the best that any podcast that the Cowboys have ever produced has done. Kudos to you guys, but also to all you folks out there that are listening, that listen to us in June when there really is no football other than kind of the underwear Olympics out there, that are still listening, still dedicated to this show.
Speaker 5: We appreciate you guys.
Speaker 10: Podcast you guys have ever created, right.
Speaker 2: No, actually, actually the first one was a night it was Talking Cowboys, but it was Nick and Mickey, and then Nick walked off the show because he didn't feel like he was getting enough airtime, literally walked off the show in the middle of the show. And when we said, well, maybe we need to start a new podcast with.
Speaker 11: Six thirty eight, we started at six thirty Mickey went for eight minutes talking think about this really two people's on the show and one guy starts it off for.
Speaker 5: Eight minutes without even mentioning, and Chris.
Speaker 11: Bean, I think, was running it on the other side. I was just walked off. I was like, you know, and I think I came back later. I don't remember exactly.
Speaker 8: But I mean, what are you gonna do? Eight minutes? Come on?
Speaker 11: You got you know, patients and me doesn't work together, and that that is a long time for a show.
Speaker 2: You guys out there might not know Nick personally, I'm guessing from being on the air listening to him you probably get the sense. And I will tell you for a fact, it is true that that is so on brand for him. Like literally eight minutes he was just like, I'm not needed here, take a walk out. You got to remember that is I know, after minute in he'd probably be.
Speaker 9: Like, I'm I have done a segment on radio where a guy worked with talked for eighteen minutes straight, Oh eighteen minutes?
Speaker 5: Who's the host? Why didn't host shut that down?
Speaker 9: It was the hard question, and it was when we were all doing radio and we didn't have sports and stuff like that, and it's tough, you know that, that's the Yeah, that was a tough I hope we never go back to. I hope all our social issues and so I know they're not all going to go away, but there were there were times where man, we were all going after each other here and that I just man, that was one of those uncomfortable times of doing not just that time, but just doing radio in general. I'm so grateful again for the fans that can listen to our sports commentary, because that's what we do best. Everything else we're just kind of like probably over our heads, you know.
Speaker 8: And me and Mickey are fine, there's no issues.
Speaker 9: I was always wondered why Derek said, listen, you and Micky ever want to do the show.
Speaker 3: Mickey and I we go out each other. I have a lot of respect for Mickey, no doubt.
Speaker 9: I don't always agree with Mickey, but man, I'll tell you what, he will not back down, you know, he.
Speaker 3: He doesn't.
Speaker 9: I mean one time, like I say, we went on a break and there was he was m F and me, and I was m F and him, and.
Speaker 10: We came were dying to know all the insight on that this plastic we're gonna go to break.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was sitting right where Amber was and he was there and Rob Phillips, Rob probably Rob Phillips said guys, guys. And I looked at Rob and I said, you shut the f up?
Speaker 5: And Rob, Rob goes. Rob did this.
Speaker 3: He did the he did our.
Speaker 9: Our thing where he just threw his hands up and said okay, okay. And to Mickey's credit, when we went back, when Beams says coming back and we both went back.
Speaker 5: Into the show.
Speaker 9: But yeah, you know, Mickey, he's a battler man. I mean he and I.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I I have a lot of respect for him.
Speaker 9: We just don't like each other and we really don't. But I respect the man.
Speaker 8: We were going.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's important. You know, people know, people know. I mean, they see me and Mickey and they Mickey's nice to me.
Speaker 9: He says hello, I say hello back. I mean, but he ain't taken me to go eat pizza.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 9: It's okay. Man, I respect him, man, I really do, because he will fight your ass.
Speaker 3: He will fight you.
Speaker 2: He definitely will. All right, let's jump in. We've got so many topics we're trying to hit today. As I said, this is our final show before we head to a little break, so we're going to continue. We have to finish up our twenty twenty three offseason review today. We're going to focus in on the secondary and the defensive line. Before we get to that, though, there were some news and notes that came out of the mini camp that's happening right now that I wanted to hit up on, give me an injury up day first, Nick on Tony Pollard and Jordan Lewis, what do we know about them right now?
Speaker 11: Well, Tony Pollard, you know, there's been no setback there. This is just a guy that's going off of coming off of a couple of injuries from obviously from the playoff game, and so he's going to continue to work with you know, Britt Brown on the side. They sprinkle him in with some of the team stuff because you got to remember this is installation as well, so and this is somewhat of a new offense. So yes, he's gonna you know, he's not gonna be left behind. But at the same time, they're just being smart with how how they use him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what you know. To me.
Speaker 9: The history here though, with the injuries and stuff like that, we've we've always learned this at OTA's mini camps.
Speaker 3: It was you know, if you could see.
Speaker 9: Guys on cords working, you kind of had an idea that Okay, now let's see what happens at training camp. I think that's really the most important thing, The fact that he when one of the first practices that we got to watch a couple of weeks ago that he was actually, as Nick mentioned, sprinkled in.
Speaker 3: That was very encouraging to me. I'm like, oh, they're not holding him back right now.
Speaker 9: So hey, as long as when we get to ox Snart, as long as all those guys are on the field stretching in practice, and I think that's the most important thing right now. But guys are coming off some some pretty serious injuries, but it looks like they're going in the right direction as far as getting them back out there and getting them ready to go.
Speaker 5: Jordan willis.
Speaker 8: Gonna be on PUP.
Speaker 11: And it's interesting when you interview or talk to the player and then you talk to other people. The player always is like I'm good, I'm good. I hate right now and then but but so he's gonna go on PUP and what that means physically unable to.
Speaker 10: Perform funny or vice versa, because you get some of the training trainers be like that person is good, and then the players like already yeah.
Speaker 11: So yeah, yeah. It goes both ways for sure. But starting on PUP, which is when they'll do it on the first day of training camp. Uh, they'll they'll designate him. That's when you have to do it. He can come off of it at any time during camp. Uh, he still counts to the ninety man roster, and but you have to put them there. So then when you get to the end of training camp start of the regular season, if they want to move him to reserve pup, that will be that will remove him for four games. So and and there's no coming off of that till four games. So you know, that's the decision that they made with Gallup last year. If you remember, Gallup was went to pup, was stayed on it all year all I mean, I'm sorry, all of camp and then they took him off even though he wasn't ready to play until I think the third or fourth game, fourth game, fourth game, right, So you know, they they could have probably left him on there. It's just the decision that they have to make. But what that means to me is that Jordan Lewis is not ready to play anytime soon because they know going into training camp he won't be there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's and and something new for us is also the rosters will stay intact for all through training camp, so there's no cut down until the very end.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, so that's eighty nine.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, they're gonna play this scene.
Speaker 9: They got the three pres three preseason games that are going to carry this roster through, so a lot of these guys will get the opportunity and then we'll have one final cut. You know, you're absolutely right. A great description of how the pup system works here.
Speaker 5: All right, let's move on.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about a little bit of news that came from Stephen Jones earlier this week.
Speaker 5: He says he was.
Speaker 3: Two squast game.
Speaker 2: No, I'm excited about that now, I'm sure you are. I'm very, very excited. It's gonna be right here in Dallas.
Speaker 5: You don't have to travel.
Speaker 2: But Steven was talking about the extensions that are coming up and there are a lot of players and to me an inordinately large number of players speaking to how well they've drafted that will be coming up here due for some really big contracts over the next couple of years. He says that he's really seeking more than one extension before camp, so he's really putting out there he wants to get this done. Obviously, some of the players, according to him, may not be in as much of a hurry. My question for you have two questions. One is which one do you think is most likely to get done?
Speaker 5: And which one do you.
Speaker 2: Think is the most challenging to get done? And I'm talking about Lamb, Digs, Dax Steele. You name any one of those, any others you might want to throw in, But what do you think is the most likely to get done?
Speaker 5: What do you think is most challenging to get done?
Speaker 8: The most challenging I bet we could say together is Digs. I mean that's.
Speaker 11: Because okay, he he's gonna get paid.
Speaker 8: He want to be paid as the highest paid corner in the league.
Speaker 11: And if you look at the money and you look at the guys, know that's it's the guy.
Speaker 5: From Green Bay, Zaire Alexander.
Speaker 11: Alexander, and I believe Denzel Ward. I think those are the top two corners.
Speaker 3: Well, well, Ramsey's still up there.
Speaker 11: I think those are the three that are twenty north if you get a new deal with Miami.
Speaker 8: Yeah he did well.
Speaker 9: I think they moved around money is what they did. But at one time he was one of the guys that.
Speaker 11: Those three are the ones north of twenty million a year. Well, there's nothing that tray Von Diggs has done that suggests that he shouldn't be in that group, So why not. He also has a brother in the league that that's been through this kind of stuff, and I'm sure that he It's just he's not gonna make it easy, nor should he, And I think that was just gonna be a little bit of a challenge to get to to get both sides done there, and that's the one where the deadline is probably a little bit more pressing because he's the longer this goes to this year. I mean, what if he has three, four or five interceptions early in the year, then it's like the price tag is going to keep going out right.
Speaker 10: And right now. I mean, despite what he has done, and I think he's a very talented player and he's contributed a lot on the team, but there's also a lot of criticism that came out from last year and kind of the level or his lack of maybe not tackling properly or as much as he should or how he should. So I think that plays into the Cowboys advantage maybe, But we know that Trevon Diggs, he has that kind of personality where he's confident of what about what he can bring to the table. So it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
Speaker 9: Yeah, if you look at the numbers, like Nick was talking about, jyr Alexander's over twenty one million a year, Denzel Ward is at twenty million a year, rams He's still at twenty million a year, Marlon Humphrey at nineteen million, Marshawn Lattimore at nineteen million, and Exaviant Howard from the Dolphins at eighteen million. So that's kind of the that's where your starting point right here.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's what I wouldn't think if the agent, that's what I would do.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 9: The thing about it is that you know, he he and you don't have that fifth year option to play with here, you can play with the tag.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the new tag numbers are for corners.
Speaker 9: You know that's obviously going to go up, especially with everybody the top guys making you know, north of eighteen million dollars. So yeah, this could be a This is going to be a tough one. The one I think that gets done is Dak. I think that's the one that gets done because I think that and this is just me, guys, I ain't talking to anybody in the organization. I'm just this is my I think the way we've seen how Todd Frantz wants to negotiate, he wants to keep the contract short so he can get his guy back to the table in a short amount of time. So you know, I would anticipate maybe you know, three years something like that sometimes hype of an extension, get his guy back to the table pretty quickly if he can.
Speaker 3: As the as the contracts continue to go up, that's the one.
Speaker 9: I think the Cowboys have to take care first, because that's the massive cap hit that they're looking at right now.
Speaker 3: But Todd Franz is not a fun guy to deal with.
Speaker 9: He fights tooth and nail for his guys, and rightfully, so you know, the Cowboys understand that they've done this before, They've been through this dance. I think the Dak one will be the one they wanted to work on. Diggs would probably be the next one, and they've got a little time for CD. But I wish they could have had a way where they could have staggered these contracts a little more.
Speaker 3: It seems like they're all hitting on the books, and that's what you do when you draft really well, yeah, these contracts hit all at the same time, and that makes it a little bit difficult. But Adam and those guys are good at doing this.
Speaker 11: And as soon as you get those guys done, those three and you're like, here comes trying to put your feet up, Here comes the lion.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and that's gonna be I.
Speaker 3: Mean, they know that.
Speaker 9: And it's funny because you're thinking about where would you where would you play Parsons? Is he an edge or is he a linebacker? And you start to think about the money.
Speaker 8: His agent's gonna be like, oh, he's an age.
Speaker 9: Well yeah, you ask people in the organization you know that that I know, and it's like they know, they don't.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter. You pay the guy that's that well, it's.
Speaker 2: Hard to say when you got a guy that's that's a defensive Player of the Year candidate.
Speaker 5: Legitimately, yes, almost every year. He's been every year. So so you know, you.
Speaker 8: Just got to pay that rights. They players in the league, and he should be.
Speaker 9: That's exactly there. They they it's not like it's there's any question. It's like they know what they're up against right now, and in a good way that it's great to have players that are great. It's better than the pay players that aren't great, which a lot of teams have gone through to their Their.
Speaker 2: Question is just how do you move money around for him? Like how do you how do you make that all work with your salary?
Speaker 9: That's that's really that's what the quarterbacks to come in kind of we got to get the quarterback done.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, see, to me, I would think CD sounds like a pretty given thing that you would make because you don't. You currently don't have anyone who would be his quote unquote successor, Like who's going to take up the role? You don't and you just made him your number one receiver just last year. So I would imagine that's a pretty I don't know on his end and his camp what they're trying to do. Obviously, you try to get the best money, the best amount of money possible, But I think for the Cowboys, I don't I mean, I don't see any how would why do you extend that as far as like timing and getting that done.
Speaker 9: If I give you Terry mcclurin from the Washington Commanders as the benchmark.
Speaker 5: He's farther down the list though, right as far as like he's.
Speaker 3: I'm giving you a starting point. Yeah, twenty three million dollars year year. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I want to say, Lauren, I want to say he's like fifth or six in the league.
Speaker 9: Actually it's it's Tarik Hill at thirty, Davante Adams at twenty eight, Cooper Cup at twenty six, seven, AJ Brown at twenty five, Stefan Diggs at twenty four, dj dk metcalf at twenty four, Deebo Samuel at twenty three to eight, and now you have Terry McLaurin at twenty three.
Speaker 5: I think you're going to have him up there.
Speaker 2: I honestly think he's gonna be. He's going to be starting that twenty six twenty seven. That's where he is, somewhere between.
Speaker 9: He's somewhere between Cooper Cup, AJ Brown and Diggs somewhere in that and.
Speaker 5: That exactly right.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, it's hard to argue that he's not worthy, because as we talked about last week, he is.
Speaker 5: He is a legitimate top five receiver in the NFL.
Speaker 11: I mean, McLaren's got like three catches against the Cowboys in like two years. Yeah, I mean like, I mean that we've seen him, and that's that kind of goes.
Speaker 9: That's a third round pick though right there too. Mclauren, Yeah, he didn't make any money. He very similar to what Dak Dak's situation was, where he was drafted like third round and then all of a sudden, he went all those years of playing on low, low salaries and now he's like, either you pay me or I'm going to walk out of here.
Speaker 11: And they're like, oh, well, McLaren, he's tough, and I know they doesn't have a quarterback situation like they want there, but he's one of those.
Speaker 8: Guys that averages about seventy or eighty yards a game and.
Speaker 3: Christian Kirk Christian Kirk and actually got eighteen million a year. Yeah, think about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say this.
Speaker 2: If McLaren had better quarterback situation in it throughout his career, I think he'd be every bit. He'd be talked about every bit as much as those top five or series in the NFL. He has that kind of ability to do what he's done with the quarterbacks he has, I think says a lot.
Speaker 11: I haven't looked at the CD's contract that close, but it jumps from like I want to say like six million this year to seventeen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, because he got the year, Yeah, the tag, so not to tag the year fifth year.
Speaker 11: He plays on that. It's all I mean, they're already kind of factoring that in right now. I mean, Digs's jump is going to be mass.
Speaker 9: You're your first really seventeen million dollar player is Mike Evans at sixteen to five, and then Tyler Lockett is at seventeen to three, and then now we got Kirk and guys like that.
Speaker 8: You're right there, he's twenty six, twenty seven.
Speaker 2: That's where it's going to start, I would assume for his eight. If it's not starting higher than that, yeah, And so then it's going to be a negotiating back. And so that's the tough part. It's hard to argue that any of these guys we mentioned shouldn't get a deal, and it shouldn't be in the range of those top players.
Speaker 5: It's just a matter of how does Dallas where do.
Speaker 2: They fit in that top range, and how do you structure the contract so that when they all hit you're not just completely in cap hell.
Speaker 9: Yeah, which this might be an unfair question. Which of the groups that I just went through the wide receiver numbers or the cornerback numbers were the most shocking, and I mean.
Speaker 3: Shocking, and like, man, I panic.
Speaker 2: Guy, you know, actually, actually, actually it would be wide receiver for me because I would think, honestly, I would think those two positions would match up comparably, like what you would pay for your top receiver. You'd probably pay the sum amount for your top or maybe even a little bit more for your cornerback, because I think it's harder to find great cornerbacks than maybe it is to find great receivers, especially in today's NFL, So I would have thought.
Speaker 5: The premium would be a little higher on cornerback.
Speaker 2: To think that the top cornerback was what twenty three and the top receivers thirty, Yeah, that to me is somewhat shocking.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but I look at it from the cornerback standpoint of the guys there and and and I know it's different when you don't play like fantasy football factors then because you kind of know who the studs are at receivers, corners, not not the same. But still, when I look at those names, I don't even I mean, we know the league, we study these guys, where we watch them those names don't jump out to me as twenty two to twenty three million dollars a year. Guys, that's the market, that's what it is. But I mean even Diggs, I mean, as Amber just said, Diggs is going to be maybe the highest and he's got some flaws in his game.
Speaker 8: That people love to point out. I don't think they're that big.
Speaker 2: Is it easier though, to point out those flaws in a cornerback than it is a receiver because you think about like this, A receiver has four or five catches in a game, and if one of them is a touchdown, they had a great day. Yeah, out of all the snaps they had, they had four or five really great moments. For cornerback, they could have great coverage all day, give up one touchdown, it's a horrible day.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 2: So it's like you can you can point out the Yeah, you can point out the flaws of a cornerback a lot easier then you can point out the flaws and a wide receiver.
Speaker 8: That's yeah, and that's what happens.
Speaker 11: But I still I look at those names and I get a little surprised that they're at that range.
Speaker 9: Is there anybody on this team that you could say that you feel good enough to let a receiver or a corner walk. I think you're better protected at corner if you let you feel like that.
Speaker 5: I don't even want to entertain this conversation. I do not want.
Speaker 2: I don't There's no scenario I think for the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: No, No, that's not what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm saying there's no scenario for me, as a bystander that's watching the Cowboys that has an interest in wanting them to win, would want them to let either Lamb or Digs go.
Speaker 5: You better figure out something else.
Speaker 2: If you got to let somebody else go, Lamb, Digs and Micah, they better be here.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I've seen Larry Brown have success when Dion was on the other side. And I think when you keep when you have star players here, you can elevate the play of others. And so doing whatever I can, and if that means that you have to to play a lot more of the Ron Bland types and next year's rookies and all that, you deal with it.
Speaker 8: Because they can draft. We know they can draft.
Speaker 3: They can't draft. That's the thing about which which.
Speaker 11: Holden that could be the reason why. That could be your argument of why you don't though, Well, because they can draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's also part of it. Like, because you can draft, I can have a top heavy roster. I can have four or five guys that make the bulk of the salary, and I'll draft and fill in my depth because I'm good at draft.
Speaker 5: That's the way I well.
Speaker 9: The thing about it is one of the positions we were talking about was receiver, and now there's questions about Tolbert.
Speaker 3: You know that's a draft yeah, you know.
Speaker 9: So now you're sitting there thinking if you had if say, if Tolbert would have been or Gallop would have been. Now now you're thinking, okay, if one of these guys walk, you feel I feel better that if Diggs walked, I would feel better about playing Bland, then I would maybe play in Gallop or Tat or Tolbert right now in this place.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I get that point and replacement value, I yeah, theither one I was going anywhere before twenty five because twenty yeah, twenty twenty four season, because they will franchise Tag Digs if he can't get done, and and CD's already.
Speaker 11: Under contract yea, and dak is under contract as well too, So this is a this.
Speaker 2: Is a future problem, somewhat future problem. But at the end of the day, I don't.
Speaker 5: See a scenario go down on those players. But when those players are not on this team, I just I don't want to see that.
Speaker 3: Would you take a swing? Can we do this? Can you? Would you take a swing and go ahead and try and get Parsons done? Now you can't, can you? I mean, I don't know. I'm trying to think of I'm trying.
Speaker 11: He has to be three years in the league unless they've changed that. I think he's got to be three.
Speaker 3: I know that. I think I'm I think I think you're right back. That's why I asked the question.
Speaker 2: Why when you said that, it just hit me. This dude's only been in the league two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think you're I think you're also right. Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 8: You can't. He's got to wait.
Speaker 3: One more year.
Speaker 9: This time next year, when we're having the break in June, we can talk about.
Speaker 3: Oh but yeah, I to me, if if.
Speaker 9: You could though, if you if he was eligible, yeah, started I'd go. I'd go right now. I just go right now and try, you know, everybody else. You're kind of like, I'm sorry, we're gonna work on this one first.
Speaker 5: That's also part of it.
Speaker 2: Like I do wonder if Steven's The point of Stephen's comments was to basically say, it's kind of like and then I want to make this analogy, but I'm gonna make this analogy. It's kind of like when you have a group of people that all get in trouble and the police are talking to them. They're like, we're only giving one deal here. So whoever jumps in first and it's willing to switch on everybody else, you're gonna get the deal.
Speaker 3: They did it with Jalen Smith.
Speaker 9: I mean, it's like they'll tell you, they'll tell you they're open for business, but we have to agree on business.
Speaker 3: We're open, but we have to agree.
Speaker 2: And whoever jumps in first make it the best deal. So jump in now.
Speaker 11: Jalen was was smart and that because he did he knew, he saw what he knew that he didn't have it anymore. And he he kind of got to the cowboys before they got to him. Yeah, and when we're like, wow, everyone was surprised by that deal because I think deep down, even though he made a Pro Bowl before. He knew that was the times egg and the knee was not where it should be.
Speaker 5: Well, at the very least, he knew, this is the best it's gonna get. I'm coming the Pro Bowl year. Even if I stay at this level, I'm not going to do better than that.
Speaker 9: Now, he also knew the organization was growing tired of dealing with Zeke, and why not go in there and get some game.
Speaker 10: Businessman about Dak real quick. I kind of forgot his whole situation. It's in the deal as far as like you apply the extension and this is the amount, or is there some type of negotiation negotiation that needs to happen again.
Speaker 9: They got to negotiate because of his cap number. They're gonna have to.
Speaker 3: They've got to extend it to bring the cap number down.
Speaker 8: I think there's an option that he could avoid. I think it's a void.
Speaker 11: I mean, that's one of the things I need to get a little bit better about knowing. I mean, obviously it's something that's there, but it's like all it's not like it's an inspiring contract.
Speaker 8: It's got to be something that they They.
Speaker 9: The cap guys love it when we talk about the cap. You know, they just love that we sit there and recklessly speculated things.
Speaker 3: Like you don't know, like like Brian, why would you say that? Brian? You know that kind of thing.
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 2: Our produce I'm sure is losing his mind over there. We've gone chrisy two second. It's without without our break. So we're gonna take a break right here. We're gonna come back. We're gonna dive a little bit into the twenty twenty three of you. We'll talk really quickly about the defensive line and the secondary. We'll be back, Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 14: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 5: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five g for you for details.
Speaker 8: Hey, honey, can we talk, of course?
Speaker 5: What's up?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 12: I just thought you should know I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream.
Speaker 3: Have you vote this way a long time?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 3: If you feel that.
Speaker 8: Way, I think you should try it.
Speaker 3: Babe.
Speaker 12: It's amazing. I mean you're amazing.
Speaker 5: Too, dude.
Speaker 2: Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream the new flavor you deserve.
Speaker 15: Once you use the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products. Check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now, you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim bucks free shipping.
Speaker 7: Hey, Cowboys fans, ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yo Kiero guacamole and be the game day hero.
Speaker 5: The yo kiro means I want and we know you want.
Speaker 7: Great, fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices. It will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertsons or tom Thumb in the Delhi section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them yo kiiero, Yo kiiero. Guacom only.
Speaker 8: Back to the break.
Speaker 11: Register now for the twenty twenty three Dallascout was Youth Camps presented by Invisi Line Athletes ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at and T Stadium or Ford Center at the Star. Use code Camps twenty three to get twenty five dollars off registration. Visit dalascouts dot com slash Camps Welcome Back.
Speaker 2: It is the second segment of the Break Life in the s WBC Moore Studios at the star of the segment presented by blockchain dot Com. All right, so we're gonna roll through the defensive line in the secondary I'm gonna just ask the simple question.
Speaker 3: I got more cap questions in case you want to.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, I gotta ask the simple question. Are they better worse of the same. Let's start with the defensive line after the changes that have been made. Are they better worse or the same?
Speaker 8: Defensive line?
Speaker 3: Better?
Speaker 8: Better?
Speaker 3: Better? Better?
Speaker 9: They've resigned Hankins in Ma's and that's what I think, and they and I think, to me, you kind of understand now what you're I think Osa is going to be on the rise. I believe that you're also talking about Sam Williams being on the rise. I'm fascinated by what they're going to do with Chauncey Golston, believe it or not, a defensive tackle. I think they've got some plans and some ideas for these guys. So I think they're better on the defensive line now.
Speaker 11: Anytime you can go over the first round pick in defensive tackle, that's a spot that they typically don't address that that high. But they, you know, by doing that, obviously they feel like he can just add some strength right in the middle of that core of the defensive line.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I say better.
Speaker 10: Exactly what they said. You still have all your core guys, that your main guys, main starters that you need and that have made what the defense line defensive line has been. But then on top of that, you add a first round pick like Mazie, a guy that physically he feels like he's ready to go and just what he needs to be. There's no more weight needed to be put on, and I think he'll be. He'll be of great impact this year.
Speaker 2: If there was one weakness from this unit last year, it was and really the last couple of years, it was the run defense. It actually was better in my opinion last year than it was the year before with the added edition of Hankins. That being said, if you had to identify one potential weakness or at least a question mark for you right now on the defensive line, what would it be.
Speaker 3: That's a good question because I'll think about it quickly.
Speaker 9: But they Okay, when they didn't have Hankins, they didn't have anything in the run defense, and that killed him.
Speaker 3: They got Milesy. That takes care of that.
Speaker 9: If what if Sam Williams is not as good as what we think he's going to be, now they can fall back.
Speaker 3: They say, whoa Brian they got Dort's.
Speaker 9: Armstrong and they got good, but you also are hoping that Sam Williams is everything and more. I think Dorn's Armstrong is a good player. I like what he's been, I like what he's done the last couple of years. I think he's gotten better under this defensive staff. But man, if Sam Williams can come in here and hit the home run and just take that right defensive end position over, then this defense is got chance to be really good.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think for me, and as great as he is Micah Parsons, he's he's outstanding there. But they got to make sure that the teams aren't spending all off season figuring out, Okay, when they put him at outside or a defensive end, this is how we're going to attack it. Philly did a good job. There's some other teams that did a good job there. If I'm in the NFC East, or even if he's on if the Cowboys are on the schedule, I'm spending a lot of the offseason going this is how we have to attack and neutralize him. So I think that's gonna be something the Cowboys have to offset as well. It's not just pain in your ears back. Not always third and nine. Sometimes it's third and five, and he's got to make sure because you know, that's why he's bulking up a little bit.
Speaker 8: So that right there is the key.
Speaker 11: I mean, he is an outstanding player, there's no doubt, but they got to make sure that they keep making him on the attack and not where teams can kind of neutralize him.
Speaker 10: I can't think of any weakness. I'm sorry, like right now, because if this guy isn't as good, for example, that same theory can be applied to every other position on the team. But right now, I feel like if someone is maybe not performing us, they should There are enough guys to pick up that slack and just make up for it. So I feel pretty confident of all the defensive line this year. I'm freaking excited about it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and just going I'm looking at the roster right now, and I should have said this to start the jump. If Osa, I think is going to be really really good. Okay, Neville Gallimore kind of an off year last year. I mentioned Goldston. What happens if something with Osa doesn't work out or you know, he's not able to play.
Speaker 3: Who is that three technique?
Speaker 9: Who is going to be the three that steps up, and the three is a guy that plays on the outside shoulder of the of the guards there, So do they have the depth that three? It's veteran guys, it's Galimore, it's Golston, you know, but as could Gallimore or Goalston be that starter. Galimore was a starter at one time, but it seems like he went into the doghouse last year. People were jumping over him, you know, for opportunities and reps. So maybe the depth that the three might be in question.
Speaker 11: Uh, at that point, they're always overlooking Isaac aliqu m M. Moving to de tackle. We have a story coming up on the website on that too. He's he's excited about it.
Speaker 9: You know what would well, well, the situation with him is that, you know, here's a guy that you know, probably played a lot of Scout team on, played some defensive line, and you know it was over there like jumping in, filling in, and coaches sees something and you know what, those coaches on the defensive side do a great job of taking guys and using them for their skill, you know, and saying, oh, well, hey, maybe this guy does have a little bit you know, that's nothing wrong with moving a player over, and if the player's excited about the move, that's that's half the battle right here.
Speaker 11: Dan Quinn was it about. Dan Quinn was like, he's the one that think that that kind of spearheaded this.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he had mentioned in an interview that he had heard it was dan Quinn who kind of started pointing him out and said, hey, let me take him, bring him over. And for a guy I have the most respect for dan Quinn and I love him, So for a guy like him to say that he wants you to come over his eye, that says a lot.
Speaker 11: And I've said this before. They're going to lose the roster exemption with him this year, so there's not ninety one players. It's just ninety And if he goes to the practice squad, it will be just on his own courts team. But if you think about it, from what Brian just said, he will be you know, he's gonna be a defensive tackle. But then when they when they work on scout team for defensive tackle, HeLa office tackle. So it's almost like two guys in one.
Speaker 3: If he can do that, that's the perfect practice squad player.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt, perfect practice So.
Speaker 11: They're losing their exemption, but they're getting it back if he can do both things.
Speaker 5: Ye, all right, we're gonna go and take our final break. Will come back.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the secondary. We'll do that and uh why when we come back. As Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 14: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 2: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 5: See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 15: Once he used the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites for just ten bucks with free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Playmaker includes four.
Speaker 15: Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb.
Speaker 5: Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys and use the word cowboys.
Speaker 15: The Jack Black Playmaker tim bucks free shipping.
Speaker 4: Seed Geek has your back no matter what kind of fan you are. So whether you're a die hard fan or a don't really care fan, Oh we got him next time fan, or we'll never win again fan here for the tailgate fan or a first one through the gates fan, the seat Geek not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before, they made just about everything else easier to So whether you're a here every week fan or haven't been here in years fan, seat Geek has you covered. Download the seat Geek app to the seat Geek your ticket a great seats.
Speaker 12: Hey, honey, can we talk?
Speaker 5: Of course? What's up?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 12: I just thought you should know I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper strawberries and cream.
Speaker 3: Have you felt this way a long time?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: I just think I'd really like the taste of Doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 5: If you feel that way.
Speaker 8: I think you should try it, babe. It's amazing.
Speaker 12: I mean, you're amazing.
Speaker 5: Two dude, Doctor pepper, Strawberries and cream. The new flavor you deserve Back to the break.
Speaker 3: Sad thing is.
Speaker 11: The Conker Caff Gold Cup returns to AT and T Stadium on Saturday, July eighth. One ticket grants you both quarterfinal matches. Don't miss your chance to get tickets. Visit SeatGeek dot com, the official official ticketing provider of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 5: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: It is the final segment of the Break Life from the s WBC Mortgage Studios. At the starts our final segment before we take a little bit of a hiatus. Uh So, let's talk about the secondary. I want to start first looking at the looking at the secondary, and my first question for you when I when I look at the whole group is does the addition of Gilmour slow the progress of Bland. Bland was I think a very large bright spot for this team last year.
Speaker 5: He was a young guy that.
Speaker 2: Was drafted a little bit later but played really good football. Do you think this slows his progress as a player?
Speaker 11: Yes, and a good thing. I mean, that's okay. I mean, there's progress stopper sounds like a bad thing. There's a lot of guys whose progress is getting stopped. But you know, I mean, Jalen Tolbert's progress is getting stop by the addition of Brandon Cooks. But guess what if you would have had a better rookie year and we wouldn't have how to get Brandon Cooks.
Speaker 5: But Bland did have a good rookie.
Speaker 8: He had a good year.
Speaker 11: But then again, Jordan Lewis's injury is going to allow Jordan I mean Deron Bland to play a lot. I mean, I think and even Deron Bland might even be the better guy anyways for the slot.
Speaker 8: So I don't know.
Speaker 11: If it stops his progress as much stop some of those other cornerbacks that are drafted in the second third round two years ago. I think it stops their progress in the Sean Wright, Kelvin Joseph, But not so much Bland because I do think he's got a role.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that with the thing with Bland is that to me, if they're going to play him at let him learn the nickel, let him learn that slot position, because that could be super valuable. The more that the more experience he gets working in that area. If you, like I say, if you got Gilmore and Diggs and then and just let him focus on nickel, then all of a sudden, when it turns when it becomes his time to be a starter, say Gilmore moves on. Bland now has played, He's played at a high level at nickel slot. He now can play on the outside. Man that I think that's just I think that's just better for him as the development of a because you play that, you find a way to play that nickel slot, and you do it well, you can stay in this league a long time doing that well.
Speaker 10: I know that during OTA's we saw him moving around and doing being playing on the outside and also on the inside, and I think that's a really good thing. He looked pretty good on both, and I think that just develops him even more. I don't think it always sucks in that aspect when you bring a veteran in, because it does take away from them, But also you got to look at the positives and like what that veteran can bring as far as knowledge. We've seen it with a lot of veterans that come in here and they start teaching the younger guys things that they know and have experience, and that becomes a really good impact for them. So I think it's actually a good thing. And I don't think he's as of right now, he's still progressing, and I don't think it's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 3: You can't have enough corners.
Speaker 9: We went through this last year, the year when we were talking about me going out and there playing you know some of them games.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can't. You've got to have enough guys. You just have to.
Speaker 2: So assuming that Diggs, Gilmore, Bland are your top three, knowing that Lewis is likely going to start camp and be on pup four, I don't know how much time, but obviously start there, who's the next guy? Because when you start thinking about these cornerbacks, you got guys like Kelvin Joseph, Na Sean Wright, Eric Scott even I've heard some people talk about him.
Speaker 5: Who's the next guy and.
Speaker 2: Who should be really really concerned heading into training camp knowing that if they don't produce and have a great camp, they could be on the street.
Speaker 11: Kelvin Joseph should be concerned by that. Just when you watch the practice and kind of see who's doing what, and where and all that.
Speaker 8: Now, what helps him.
Speaker 11: Is the fact that he was a really good player on special teams when he's not having penalties. He's really good on special teams. And they missed, they lost some core guys on special teams last year. So if that's your role, that's your role. And and yeah, you can justify the second round pick, and that doesn't make sense for just being a special teams days, but you better be damn.
Speaker 8: Good at it.
Speaker 11: And you know, he made a he made a play in the in the forty nine ers game where he forced that fumble that that should have led to a touchdown. It did not, but I'm just saying that could have changed the whole game and season there. So if he's not gonna play a lot of corner you better master that special team spot.
Speaker 9: I think I think you got to look at Naseean Wright though, too. You know, his situation stuff. You know, he needs to he kind of needs to figure some things out there, you know, Joseph.
Speaker 3: I think Joseph to move to safety.
Speaker 9: I think that's the direction they're going to go with him. I just feel like, though we'll see with Naseean Wright, that was one of those that you know, can he have a good enough camp to where he puts himself in the picture with the rest of these guys.
Speaker 11: I think like a wild card in this whole secondary is mccuamu because he has a skill set that you know, former Cornery both can play both ye and and and you know you've got you got Donovan Wilson, you got jay Ron Curse, you got Mollie Cooker, and two of those guys are gonna up with their contract next year. So maybe mcwama's going to play some safety after that. But they you know, we saw in that one playoff game where they had a role for him, mccamuu. And I think mcwamu is a guy that's going to factor into.
Speaker 5: This and could make Are you saying he could make all of them?
Speaker 11: Yeah, just because because when you get to you know, your backup corners and safeties, the guys that do both. I mean, instead of taking five and five to the game, if you can take four and four and then one dual threat, that's nine that you take to the game, but really you're taking two.
Speaker 9: There's been a lot of praise being thrown onto Eric Scott right now, and just because of where he's lining up.
Speaker 3: So there the spotlights.
Speaker 9: On Eric Scott lining up just for clarity, Well, it is a corner, what higher in the depth charge? Yeah, Like he's like they have the junior varsity practicing on one field and the varsity and occasionally it's rare that you see a junior varsity player going down to the varsity field and getting work. And Eric Scott's the one guy that they seem to have thrown into the mix as like a schoonmaker. Before he was a little banged up, he was practicing on the varsity field with the ones, and now Eric Scott's getting opportunities to.
Speaker 8: Get And where's Kelvin Joseph.
Speaker 3: Kelvin Joseph is uh, he's kind of down on the right.
Speaker 2: And that's but those are the things I think that that as we again head into training camp, those will be the kinds of storylines that we will win following and you will be able to notice based upon how they're utilizing guys, what their thoughts are on on the guy's ability and where they think he falls on the depth charte.
Speaker 11: I mean, ce J Goodwin's not playing corner, but he does special teams real well. So if Kelvin Joseph, Hey, if that's your role.
Speaker 8: Kill it, kill it.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely right, all right, real quick, before in the show, I did want to bring up one topic that that I thought was interesting. This goes back to our news and notes that we were talking about earlier in the show. The Cowboys all but dismissed the possibility of DeAndre Hopkins coming here. He is now a free agent after he was let go by the Cardinals. That being said, do you agree with that assessment or do you think the Cowboys really should give some thought to bringing him to this team.
Speaker 8: I don't think there's a.
Speaker 3: So we could talk about it. Right he's free, he's free.
Speaker 8: He's free.
Speaker 5: I'll say his name as much as you want.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't give you five minutes Hopkins, I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 11: I think that what you know, and we said this, I think last week Odell Beckham's contract is sitting there. I think he's gonna want something in the neighborhood of that. The money we talked about all these other guys, it just doesn't seem like it would be a fit if.
Speaker 8: He comes here.
Speaker 11: Right now. Yeah, he's better than Gallup, There's no doubt he is, but I think for the roles and everything, I think everything's really defined. I think it clouds it up a little too much. You get a great player, he's going to be expensive. It clouds up your all a little bit. I don't think that's the best fit for him or the Cowboys.
Speaker 9: They're looking at a situation right now where Odell Beckham basically set the market for not even playing a whole year. I got fifteen million dollars for one year. I don't think the Cowboys are interested in that at.
Speaker 5: All, especially with all these deals coming up.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean you've heard it from the Cowboys. You've heard from Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, Mike McCarthy. The way they've spoken about it sounds pretty clear that they're not because sometimes they leave it kind of up in the air, but it sounds very clear that they're not really looking to go that route. And what's crazy, Like, Hopkins to me was the first guy, the first wide receiver that I watched, not the first, I guess, the first that I was so impressed when I started watching NFL. I remember watching him. I'm just like, oh my god, who is that guy? That's when I first started and he I was a big fan of his and he's so talented and I think he can bring he can he can still bring a lot to the table, for sure, but does the many game money.
Speaker 3: They got their guy Cooks. They wanted Cooks last year at the trade deadline, Houston couldn't make it happen.
Speaker 9: They got their guy. I think that they're set with their room right now. They're trying to I'm not trying to protect Tolbert, but they're letting Tolbert have an opportunity to see if he can make it or not. And I think that's why they didn't address in the draft wide receiver until the very last pick. They're going to see if Tolbert can play or not. And if he can, they'll be fine. If they're not, then they'll just with whatever they have to do.
Speaker 2: Frankly, if he were free when free agency was going on before the Cowboys signed Cooks, I think we'd have a lot more to discuss on which one you take, absolutely, because they're both very good, they have different skill sets, and then you could talk more about who best fits this offense. I think the decisions are made Cooks is here, I don't think I think you just can't afford to do what you would do.
Speaker 8: Yeah, both.
Speaker 11: I think I think running back would be addressed before before that, before receiver. I wouldn't be surprised if running back is addressed, maybe with a bigger name or not.
Speaker 8: I mean, but that would make more sense to me.
Speaker 3: Is he coming back he's.
Speaker 8: A big name. I don't.
Speaker 11: I don't think he is. Honestly, Jerry keeps saying that doors not. You know, I think it's just that old.
Speaker 3: I thought you were leading this to the water.
Speaker 8: No, I don't you all just think running back.
Speaker 11: I mean, like, like it makes sense when I look at it. I just don't think Ronald Jones and Malik Davis are gonna be.
Speaker 9: If I felt if I felt better about I felt better at one time about Malik Davis. Then all of a sudden, he doesn't play at all in that forty nine ers game, and I'm now I'm like going, something happened there. You know, If Malik Davis plays in that game and there he's able to get like fifty yards rushing on you know, six seven carries or something, you know, then I'm thinking, like they got a guy here, and I think they do.
Speaker 3: I like Malik Davis.
Speaker 9: But something happened between the end of last season and where we are right now, new coaching staff, basically on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe a fresh approach for him. Keep an eye on him. I think he's a good player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will tell you this, Nick, If you think about it, from the running back position, we keep hearing over and over there needs to be an increased.
Speaker 5: Use of the running game.
Speaker 2: And at the same time, I think the running game, particularly the running back position, is probably a position where we have more questions about than any other position on the team. So if you think of from that perspective, I could see where you're going there, and then you would think at some point they are going to do more. They have to do more because there's just too many question marks there. But I could also see them going into camp, seeing how camp goes, and then if they feel like they got to make a move, trying to make a move at that point rather than doing something.
Speaker 11: But soon, if you really just think there's somebody out there, you know, we'll get a free agent whatever. Just know this, of all the free agents that are out there, the guys that are established that have played that are not on a team, the one that is the most productive and the youngest is Zeke, So that just goes to sh He's the youngest of all of them and he's got definitely.
Speaker 2: So as much as I don't think he's coming back, I could sell scenario that makes sense for them.
Speaker 8: What I'm saying is is that if that's not going to happen.
Speaker 3: The employer strikes No, I'm just saying, I don't know.
Speaker 11: Let's just see if there's something else that happens with another team.
Speaker 8: I think.
Speaker 11: I just don't think if they're gonna make a splash, they'll make it running back more than they'd make it received.
Speaker 2: All right, appreciate you guys joining us. It's been a great offseason. We've had a lot of fun. We're gonna take a little break. We'll be back as soon as we get into training camp. We'll be on the air. We'll be doing shows live from California. Can't wait. Be a fun season until then. For Nick keep mcbrian brought us Ambergarcia. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club