Speaker 1: Socks on thirty fifth is next.
Speaker 2: Doors open on the left.
Speaker 1: How's it going, everybody? This is your host, Duke Colfin and welcome to the Socks on thirty fifth podcast. We are back with another exciting episode covering yours Cargo White Sox. I am joined this week by Michael Swarow, Jordan Lazowski, Nick Gower. Two of these guys are here all the time. Michael's here.
Speaker 3: Have you been on the show, Michael, Yeah, I think it's like the twentieth time now that this is my first time on the show. For if we're keeping track, I gotta go back and like count exactly how many times it's been, But it's got.
Speaker 1: To be in the twenties by now. Yeah, I mean there's a only there's only twenty first impression. So we're glad you're here to make the twentieth gentlemen. Obviously with the Astros winning the series, Uh, we couldn't let him sleep? When we're talking Mark Kammas shows, how couldn't let him sleep? What again? How we feeling about the White Sox this weekend? Guys?
Speaker 2: Still fine? Like, I don't know, it was a dumb game. I really hated this weekend series. To be honest with you, Sunday was nice. Friday everyone called me dramatic from my thought that they if the season doesn't go the way they want, they might really regret that game. We're gonna have to get into that totally just yet, because you just asked me how I'm doing, But I'm doing good things for asking Duke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, same here. I mean I kind of agree with Jordan. Other than today's game. Obviously, it was a bit of a tough series to watch, but I'm doing well. And it's kind of interesting because I remember on one of our old episodes, Jordan had like it was like a fun fact or something, but he was like he had never been to a concert.
Speaker 2: That was like his fact.
Speaker 4: And the reason I bring that up is because I just finished a stretch where I went to five concerts in six weeks. I'm like, I'm done with it now, Like, but it's kind of funny. I've thought about Jordan. When I realized, I was like, oh, that's like we couldn't be more different in that regard.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to one in November Zach ground Band. I'm a huge country fan, so I'm looking forward to that. But that'll be like number three.
Speaker 1: So okay, I got a ways to go.
Speaker 3: You're getting that counts on a good show.
Speaker 1: I've been to one of his concerts.
Speaker 2: I have heard that so fun. I have heard that they definitely put on a good show, so I'm very excited for it. So they're one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm doing good as well. Uh, no concerts on my agenda. I am going to be at the SOXS game tomorrow though, And uh, I think I do have to try one of those new sushi push pops that they're apparently like. I was sketched out about them at first, but everyone's saying they're really good. So I'm like, all right, now I have to try one. And I think there's one like two sections away for where I'm gonna be sitting, So I have to and I will let you guys know how they are.
Speaker 1: Okay, So as a genuine and you know, I'm sorry if this is just earth chattering anybody. I'm not a big sushi guy. I don't enjoy the idea of a raw fish in any sort of way. That's really nasty food poisoning in the past. Because of that, it also doesn't surprise me that, like, I need a check from everybody right now. So Michael's obviously sushi.
Speaker 4: Guy, last big sushi guy. Nick not really only for that work, and I like kind of have to eat.
Speaker 1: It, okay, So it's it's ceremoniously split because Nick will not go out and search for sushi, but last obviously big sushi guy. Michael, you got a lot us know how it is, because yeah, I mean you hear sushi push pop and red Flags pop in your head. It's it's catchy, but a push pop with sushi. It's like I don't know, I thought about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was sketched out at first, but like every review comes like they're like saying like this has like no business being as good as it is. I think they're I don't think these are raw fish. I think it's like ones like imitation crab, the others shrimp Temporal, both of which are like cooked seafood. So I think that helps a little bit. Still a weird concept, but I feel like I just have to try some country.
Speaker 2: Music and sushi. Michael, you and I have more in common than I thought. All right, now we have to go to a concert together. I know that's what it sounds like.
Speaker 1: I'm so down for that. Well, as a non Senshian jar and country fan, I'll just stick to Luke Holmb's so.
Speaker 2: That's fine too. I'll accept that.
Speaker 1: Well anyway, as riveting as sushi and country music is together. We've got quite a bit to cover in this episode, but before we get started, be sure subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, and anywhere else to your podcast. Also sure to check out the website socks on thirtyfifth dot com, as well as following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at sos on thirty fifth and YouTube as well, where we already have some questions going White Sox O three says, good afternoon, boys. It is eight pm here, so maybe the time's a little bit off, but I do appreciate it anyway. We we love our fans regardless. So, as I kind of alluded to in the intro, White Sox struggled against the Astros the sixth inning. I don't think I need to say anything more than that, but it felt like it was just doomed. Every single time we would we would start pitching in the six and we saw the absolute worst of it over the weekend Is this something that's been a common threat throughout the season. Maybe not, but there have been points in the season, in my opinion, where I feel like we have hit that one snag in the line and really let it affect the rest of the game for us. Did anything from these games change your guys opinion? Micha go, I'll let you kick it off because you're the host. Did anything from these games kind of like kick it off? Or you're the guest? I should say, I'm sorry, it's it's Sunday, dude, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Taking your job.
Speaker 1: What's that? That's not apparently I'm taking your job now, Well, it'd be crazy for a first time guess to take my job. But what are your takeaways from this weekend? Obviously it's it's something we've seen before. It's not the first time something like this has happened. But how how dire does losing two out of three to the Astros feel?
Speaker 3: I mean, really not that dire because Cleveland just got swept and so after this series we still gained a game on them. It also just kind of more than anything confirmed like my concerns about this team, like we need more pitching, we need to add some pitching to this team. So that's really where I'm at, is like we're still in the playoff on that hasn't changed, but like bolster the bolster, the rotation gets some more reliable arms so that we don't have to throw sy Anthy Tomingas out there in any important innings anymore.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: But in general, like the series kind of sucked. But I'm not like overreacting to Like I'm not saying like, oh, like we can't be buyers anymore, Like my my opinion hasn't really changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my biggest thing from the week is okay, and I put out what everyone not everyone. A lot of people called it dramatic, where I'm like, and I even called it dramatic, like losing a five to nothing leading the sixth inning at what twelve outs to get like you're gonna regret that at some point the season, even if it all goes well, and especially if it doesn't. Everyone's like, oh, that's it's dramatic. It's just one game. They all mean the same like yes, but no, because Cleveland lost that day too, So that for me is like, all right, you were in the driver's seat, you gave up the driver's seat you crashed the car practically, and it was a chance to pick up a game, right Like, it kept putting pressure on, like you had to pick up something this weekend, especially if Cleveland wasn't gonna win a ball game. You can't go and get swept when your opponent gets swept, your division rival opponent gets swept. That was the frustration for me, and I think even Venable kind of said it too, like you know that can't happen essentially, like even if they all mean the same in the grand scheme of one sixty two, like there was this division by a game or two. You look at games like this, not where you get shut out, right whatever, that that's gonna happen. That's baseball. It's when you just melt down. You had the game practically on ice at that point at five nothing and you can finish it off. Does it change much? No, realistically confirms like Michael said, some of the issues. But it's just more of a frustration more than anything else.
Speaker 4: I guess I'll say, yeah, I'm kind of in the same place as you too. I mean, Friday's game in a lot of ways felt like a fever dream in that there were like thirteen popouts by White Sox hitters. Everything was a pop up that was insane. And then on top of that the dread and sixth inning we're talking about, Like, yeah, it was a beginning for Houston. It would have been a beginning either way. But I will say, like two, I think actually three of their hits were just like chopped directly down into the ground at like fifty four miles an hours, Like there's nothing you can do when I that that is basically a free single, even if the slowest runner on the team is running. So that happened like three times the same thing. I say, Okay, like this is just not our our in a not our day or whatever. It's baseball, right, it's like playing Cleveland. That stuff always happens for Cleveland. What is more frustrating to me, and it's not the team's fault necessarily, but just the day to day consistency of the offense is so strange. Like all of July, it's been like either score eight to twelve runs or they're scoring like zero to one. And I feel that has been the case for too long now. We were talking before this game, Sunday's a game about how they hadn't hit a home run in like a week, then they hit like four or five and one game. Like again, I understand it's they don't really you can't really control some of this stuff. But at the same time, there's a lot of variance in this offense, and I would love like more consistent like four to run outputs rather than these you know, high highs and low lows that they're putting up well.
Speaker 1: And I almost wonder what the scouting report, like, what the scouting report would be for the White Sox offense and how teams handle certain pictures with certain strengths going into our lineup, because it feels like, kind of like you said, Nick, we really do come into some of these games and the offense is just ready from the go, swinging the bad hard. There was an example before in the at bat that Miguel Vargas hit a home run today. You could see off the first swing even when he missed, and like it's like, oh, Miguel's trying to take this out of the ballpark. That's at bat, like he was swinging hard, and you know that's it's not like an effort thing. It's not like a you know, like why aren't these guys trying to hit home runs every single time at the bad thing? But I almost wonder what the game plan is going into certain picture strengths. I wonder kind of what the scouting report looks like and kind of like what they're trying to emphasize on a day to day basis, because there are some days where you can tell, well, the hitting philosophy is like let's you know, let's get some home runs. Like this, this pitching rotation or this pitcher that we have on the mound to day gives up home runs. Uh, the relievers that they would likely use if we had a closer game, they strike out a lot of people, but they do give up very hittable balls, And then you know, like how do they handle teams that are specifically like weak ground ball type pitching? You know what I mean? So I almost want, like, I wonder what the philosophy that is going forward, not to try to make excuses for the lineup. Sometimes guys just you know, yeah, they have a tough day at the office. That's baseball. I also, I think last to your point about you know, watching seeing games like that and like looking back on it and then seeing where you are later in the year, once you're in like September and wondering what you could have done different. That's certainly that's a good point to have. The biggest thing is the White Sox have to realize when they when these games happen, it puts more strenuous effort on what they have to do it in September, and I think with a team that's not totally experienced of being in a playoff run, that's maybe not something they're going to totally grasp right now, but it's something they could grasp by the time it really gets to the final end. The final stretch of the year here in cleveland's really putting pressure on us.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I just and again I don't like reacting overreacting to one one game, right, And it comes off very much like that when I say what I said. But at the same time, it's like we've talked all season about the waves of changing expectations for this team, and that's that's part of the calculus here, right We're about to have a whole episode as we go through just fan questions about like buying at the deadline, and it's not like one game is going to change that a lot of people are panicing like, oh, I hate losing around the deadline. That's not You've already decided your direction, like seven days before. You know which way you're going for the most part at this point, so it's not that drastic of a change. But what it really comes down to being is you know, how often do you let your flaws get exposed? And I think that was just a clear example, like everything got exposed at the same time. It's kind of a good wake up call for probably Chris gets like, hey, if you if you're really gonna do something to help this team, everything went on display that night for you, so go figure it out from there. Kind of all series actually too, some of the starting pitching concerns, bullpen concerns because of the starting pitching concerns, and how that all kind of added up together well, And I.
Speaker 1: Think you framed that well, and Michael, I don't Michael or Nick, I'm not sure if you have a different opinion on it, but I think I don't think this changes any sort of idea of what Chris Gott's going to do with the deadline. As you said, I think he kind of has it set set in stone that any moves, any non moves he's gonna make is already pretty clear. It's just it's just a valuation at this point, you know, like kind of similar to like how before the season started, we thought this team was going to be terrible, so the evaluation was going to be who's going to be here next year? The evaluation right now is like, oh, we're really good. Who who can we realistically move? And what do we realistically need to make that final run stretch here at the end. You know. So I don't think this, I don't think this would change any sort of target or who we could possibly give up in any stretch.
Speaker 2: No, it just it just more than anything I said, it amplifies things and to reframe that exact phrase and puts a spotlight on it right like that that game was this week Like I said, this weekend was everything where it's like, hey, solidified everything we're going to talk about here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, I I think Sunday shows what this what this lineup is still capable of as well, and what we can do even if there are some runs across the board, we can still make it a game that's you know, outside of reach. I mean even look at last week, I think what we scored five runs in the eighth or ninth inning of a game that we were already winning comfortably. So, like the the the guns can get turned on fast, and the offense isn't something that anybody should really be too worried about. I think we'll find a way to be able to stay competitive on a game and game basis. But makes a job a lot easier for the offense when you have the right arms on the mound throughout the entire game. So I think that's going to be still the number one priority for the White Sox. Michael, you recently wrote an article speaking of the trade deadline and kind of like looking at what we're looking at about prospects who might be available for the White Sox trade at the deadline. How did you come across coming up with these names? Do they have cool sounding names? And do they you think, you know, maybe that's something that could go towards another team marketing department? Are they twenty eight years old and they're hitting really well in double lay? How did you come up with these names?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the way that their names sound is always how I do my my prospect drinkings in case, everyone was wondering like that.
Speaker 1: Tim tim tim Elko has just the name has so much star power without even knowing what he does. Tim Elko was never part of my top thirty and never will be. No, we'll speaking that.
Speaker 3: Actually it was kind of timed up well because since the draft I have been going back and updating or getting ready for socks on thirty fifths mid season Top thirty prospect drinkings, so names are already kind of you know, fresh in my head. But it just kind of looking around, like who could teams realistically be interested in? Is like how I was looking at it, and like who, Like like, where do we have surpluses in positional depth? Does that line up with what some of these sellers might be looking for? Like specifically, we have a lot of middle and field depth, and that's something that most teams that are sellers, like they're going to be looking for shortstops, like they typically have a little more positional value. And again that's something that we have a decent amount of. So like that I highlighted that in the article. Won't give up too much so you guys can go read it. But yeah, it's more just like where do we have like names that teams realistically would be interested in that actually carry some value, but like the White Sox could be.
Speaker 1: Willing to move. I guess is the easiest way to put.
Speaker 2: It, Michael, Let me ask you this on top of that, now, how much do you buyd In the most recent report, the Socks aren't willing to trade anyone inside their top ten prospects, which depending on the list might mean different guys at seven, eight, nine, to ten, whatever. But also, what do you think of the idea? And I mentioned it last episode of it seems like a lot of guys around the trade deadline are those eighteen nineteen year olds who maybe have a little bit of helium but aren't twenty one, twenty three. More importantly, the teams really look for younger prospects, especially at the trade deadline, more than anything else. Do you feel like that's a detriment to the Socks at all in terms of where they stand right now or do you still feel like, hey, they can still put together competitive packages for the deadline.
Speaker 3: I mean that they've got some names that are some guys that are that kind of fit that demographic. But if that is what sellers are looking for, then that does kind of put us a little bit behind. You know, we like recently we've been doing a little bit better at drafting you know, guys out of high school, and like, you know, we just completely overhauled our international scouting system, David Keller running it now, but we've already had several international classes in place before he even took uh took that job, so we're still a little bit behind in that department. There's been a few breakout guys in the Dominican Summer League, but like those are all like that's almost like so far away that you really don't know much about some of those guys, So I'm not sure how much trade value they'll specifically have. Most of the guys that we have, like I said, are going to be like middle and fielders and like high like between low Way and Double A, that are going to be like our primary trade ships some I mean, but like at if we're talking about like the very top of what we have available, we can put together trade pacts for anyone because those two guys that we have at the top of our of I guess if you were to rank our trade ships, it's Caleb Bonomer and Billy Carlson, both are twenty years old and younger, and both are pretty pretty unanimously considered top bunch of prospects. I mean, Bonhomer is probably a top twenty prospect at this point. Carlson I think is in the fifties right now in MLB pipeline. I know we fell off of Baseball America's list, but that's more because the injury versus he's actually playing. So like those those two guys alone can pretty much like if we're willing to move them, which is a big if, could put us in any conversation really and then we do have a good amount of depth in the system. It just depends on, like you said, if teams are looking for more those like eighteen nineteen year old like high upside, high risk guys, that might put us at a little bit of a disadvantage. We have a few guys, but it's not exactly where we're the strongest at.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so kind of taking the other side of that, Michael, are there any guys I mean, obviously you mentioned Bonhamber and Carlson, but are there any other players that you think the White Sox should essentially refuse to trade? And uh, maybe you can talk about Boston Smith here, I here feeling for it.
Speaker 1: I knew you're gonna ask me about that.
Speaker 3: My personal take is no prospect truly be untouchable, but like you gotta have, you gotta have limits on that as well, Like I'm not putting Caleb Bonmer in every single you know, trade conversation, Like, if we're gonna consider trading him, it's got to be for Like I don't even know if anyone who's been rumored to be available even fits the criteria for what we could trade him for. Like I'd be looking at like a frontline starter with at least another three years of control, Like I just don't know, Like unless maybe if the Reds decided to shop Hunter Green, like that could be a fit. But like I really don't know if there's a trade that makes sense for him Carlson, Like again, he's not quite Caleb Bomber's level, but like you still would You're not gonna trade him for a rental, you know, unless they were like adamant about getting Scooble, which I think would be the wrong decision for the White Sox. Like that, I don't think that makes sense. We'll talk about Boston Smith a little bit here because he does provide some interesting catcher depth for the White Sox currently, Like the way he's flying up the system is like, it's crazy how good he's been this year and the fact that he's playing into a position war maybe he could possibly help out the roster next year or potentially this year with how bad our catching situation has been. Maybe that does carry more value than trading. Than looking to trade him. I think that he should still be available in the right trade personally, but like what does that right trade look like? I'm not exactly sure, but like you kind of have TOI outweigh like what could he bring back versus what could he potentially bring to this team this year. So again, no one should be untouchable, but like you really have to figure out, like does it make sense for that trade.
Speaker 2: One thing too, I'll say about just prospects in general and trade. Talking general comes from something someone mentioned the chat about Alec Briley about a potential trade chip for the Sacks. I think it's starting ends with the fact that at White Sox with three you mentioned this, he's twenty five years old, right, Like he's twenty five in double lights. That's the sort of thing that the team's not looking for, right like. Unfortunately, that's why the Caleb Bonners continue to come up, or even Burgoya comes up every now and again. It's just it's so hard to project guys. Yes, but the older they get, saying someone's old at twenty five, it just hurts now that I'm twenty nine. Just to be completely clear about this, But the older older guys get, the less valuable they seem at the deadline, which is unfortunate, but it plays into Michael your point of like, I just don't think anybody should be untouchable. You don't need to make a move just to make a move, But I've watched too many prospects crash and burn, like at a certain point you got a trade for a sure thing, which I guess though when we've talked about this a little bit, the player development system being better for the White Sox certainly helps that, I guess is a question for anybody. Is there a team we all think makes as a good trade deadline partner for the Socks just because of who they have or what they might be willing to take away. I guess, Mill, either you or anyone who has any thoughts on that one.
Speaker 1: Well, well, just based las based on the fact that your point of how many prospects crash and burned, nobody should be untouchable. Nothing's a sure thing. I mean, I mean San Diego, they're always willing to do business with us, right, I mean we can get that James Shields type picture tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Right, Listen, you know it's just yeah, Sandio is a good answer. I didn't love the James Shields piece, but Sandig is a good answer. I don't know. It's a difficult one to figure out, truly.
Speaker 1: The only point I'm trying to make is like, we can't trade with reckless abandonment. I guess is about way to put it. Guys should be available, but we have to value them.
Speaker 2: Correctly, correct right, And I kind of got what you were putting putting out there. Yeah, it's not make a move to make a move, it just be careful as you're doing it. I guess, long story short, go.
Speaker 1: Ahead, Michael, I know you're dying to answer it.
Speaker 3: I mean, if we're really trying to get Mason Miller, I guess the Padres could make sense, but I don't actually think that's going to happen. The one team that I keep going back to is the Angels, and they do weird stuff every trade deadline, so like who knows like what they're actually going to do this year. But redet Meers is the guy that I've just had circled this entire time. That just makes too much sense if they're willing to make that kind of move and he's not going to cost bondom or I don't think. Probably a package around Billy Carlson, which we have so much up in the middle and field, like you got to be open to that. Recent reports have also talked about them being interested in acquiring a young catcher. Could they be interested in reacquiring a former catcher in the form of Edgar Carro since it sounds like the White Sox are looking to add to their catching room anyways, is that something they would be open to. I don't know. It's just something that does kind of line up. And I don't know how much they'd even value Kara at this point, but he is still a young player with upside.
Speaker 1: They don't have much.
Speaker 3: Long term for a catcher of the future option, like as a secondary piece, Maybe something around Billy Carlson and Edgar Caro does make sense. For Redetmers, who not only gives us, you know, a guy that can sit in the upper half of our rotation this year, but is also controllable for another two years and kind of fits our timeline a little better. So that that's just the one that keeps coming back to me, like if they're willing to make that bigger, splashing move, like that just makes so much sense.
Speaker 2: One thing I'm interested into you mentioned the Angels is the Socks could use one more right handed bat that plays outfield. I think it's been mentioned a couple of times. I think I don't know how long this Tristan Peter's kind of mini slump will last. But you're always worried then, I think, Nick, we've talked about them a ton of the expected stats don't exactly line up consistently with Peters. You're always worried that Midnight strikes at some point for him. I wonder if Joe Adelle becomes available for the Angels as well, just does one thing well and it's hits right handed pitching, or it hits left handed pitching as a right hander, maybe that's something that they decide to explore too. I think that's where the angels could make sense beyond just Detmer's or sorry on I think this question makes the most sense on the frame of how many how many guys can you knock off at once? Right?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: If I can go to the Mets and say, let's get Weaver and Holmes and maybe a bat, like, how many things can pull from there? Yeah, Louise Frock exactly how many bad? How many things can I pull from a team or the Reds like everyone's been talking about, like Singer and Stevenson, right, Like, how many guys can I pull from one trade? Even due to your point, the Padres kind of feel that maybe a reliever, and they've talked about Michael King as well potentially being available. So I don't know, it just depends on what everyone thinks might be best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, like what Michael would you consider? I guess any of you can answer this what would be considered a successful trade deadline? I'm very much on board with the red Detmer's idea. I feel like I've been perfectly clear on that. I did see somebody in the chat bring up Holmes from the Mets. I think the only thing that would worry anybody would just be the timeline of him coming back from injury, but obviously his body work speaks for itself. Like what is an ideal trade deadline for You don't even need to say names of the players you acquire, it's just what do we need to address?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean for me, like you have to get a starting pitcher that you actually trust in the playoffs ahead of Anthony Kay and Eric Fetti. I think that's prior to number one. I think you probably have to acquire at least one more reliever. It doesn't have to be a closer, but like it has to be someone that you can trust in the sixth or seventh inning. And for me, I think you got to get a catcher, something that resembles a competent catcher, because we just haven't had much of that this year. And I know it hasn't hurt us this year, but I think it's something we have to acquire. I'm not saying it has to be shay lngliers is out and out. I'm not saying it has to be like some all star catcher, but just someone that can actually be a net post for us.
Speaker 2: I'm on a similar path where it just hey, get somebody, get somebody that fills each of those pieces, right, Like, I'm not expecting anything flashy. I'm really not, because partially because of what I mentioned earlier Micha, when we were talking about like prospect capital, like socks have some intriguing pieces, but I don't know if that's exactly what teams tend to trade for at the deadline. Like trade trades at the deadline are weird. They're not if you try and evaluate them in the same way you do like an off season trade, You're you're not gonna get the same idea behind it. Huge guys don't move a lot of times, huge bats don't move, and the huge prospect bats don't move at the deadline, Like it's very hard to figure out what's available to Like someone's mentioned in the chat, like a bunch of guys from the Orioles. I don't think the Oriols are ready to sell. They're not that far away. Like even that al Wes like five hundred is pretty much keeping you in that division. The trade deadline is so hard because so many teams can make a can make an argument. I guess to stay in it, right, Like, It's it's very hard, and I think this year is going to be a certain seller's market, and you're going to be very happy if you're selling guys off, because there are few teams that are really committed to doing that, and I think prices are going to skyrocket, and that's where I'm like, I just don't know. For the Socks. If it's in the cards with with where their prospect capital is, I'd maybe feel better about it in another year, if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these are good points. I mean, if I had to rank it, I would say my number one Waih is a starting pitcher, honestly. Second, I'd probably catcher, just because I'm so tired of our catchers. And then third would be like another starting pitcher I'd actually like more than my fourth wish, which would be a reliever. The only thing on relievers that I'll say really quick is that if you really do have like Hagen Smith and Tanner McDougal potentially joining the Major League bullpen, and then you have other guys down to like erie Arte and wig them and Gonzales and I think there's one more on triple A was kind of intriguing, like, yeah, you still like I would like the Major League bullpen to be and Freud, but you still have a lot of internal options that you don't necessarily have at catcher or a starting pitcher unless you really like Mason Adams or Sandling. So that's why I would frame it that way. But basically, just pitching help, that's the main thing I want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need a We're gonna need a short term answer for Kyle Teal at the very least, just based on where we are we are with catcher, preferably a guy that wouldn't rush Teal back into the swing of things if that's the route we want to go. Honestly, for anybody on a good catcher discussion, I highly recommend listening to the last pod we did, because we went we went pretty good in a detail about kind of the different catchers that are on the deadline, really good pool of them, and some rentals who probably wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to grab up either. But there's also the discussion, and I don't want to get into it right now, because that turned into a big discussion on the last pod, was do you take the long term approach and you go and really take a serious look at it, like a Shay Langelier's For the record, I don't think Adley Rodgman's going anywhere, but the Orioles are terribly run organization anyway, so who knows. But anyway, LEAs, I believe you have taken the rain on fan questions tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so thank you to everyone who sent them in. We're monitoring the chat. I'm gonna try and add those in as well. We're gonna try to get to as many as we can in a reasonable amount of time we have. We're gonna start with some of the ones that folks sent in ahead of time, and some folks asked similar questions, so hopefully you're feels like he had it covered. If I butcher your name, sorry, I will do my best. We will start with this question from b Pasaia and I believe white sox eric on X also asked this one as well. One of us will take all of these questions. So do you think we should take on money in a trade to send back less prospect capital And I think we're letting our prospect expert Michael kind of take that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So this this was a little bit of a discussion on Twitter recently because of a recent article from Bob Nightingale talking about the Socks may not be willing to trade one of their top prospects, but they may be willing to eat some money in order to lessen the return that they would have to give up for someone in a trade.
Speaker 2: And there was a lot of.
Speaker 3: Pushback on that, like like, don't be prospect hugging, Like what are you doing? Like if the White Sox are willing to eat some money to get an actual upgrade on this roster, why wouldn't we want them to do that? Like we've been complaining about this team cheaping out for so long. It feels like if they're actually going to open up the checkbook and go out and say this picture can be a third starter for us. But the team wants to get a salary off the books, Sure we'll eat a salary so we don't have to give up a lot of prospect capital. Like that makes too much sense to me if that kind of trade is on the table. I don't know exactly if that trade will be on the table, but like, there's a couple guys who are under some expensive contracts beyond this year, a couple like just off the top of my head that I can think of our Michael King from the Padres and Luis Castill from the Mariners, like maybe their teams want to get out of those contracts, Like most teams aren't gonna be willing to take on those full contracts. The White Sox have nothing, like basically nothing tied up in terms of salary over the next few years. Why wouldn't you take advantage of that if it means like upgrading your roster for a minimal return, Like I get the point that we don't want to be prospect huggers, because frankly, that's why the Orioles windows shut so quickly, because they wouldn't trade any of their decent prospects. And I know you guys wanted to detail on that in the last episode, but I don't want to end up like that either. But why trade prospects if we don't have to? Like, it just makes too much sense to me to do something like that if if the other team is willing to do that.
Speaker 1: And it also helps that we happen to have an owner who loves the term cash considerations more than anybody else in sports. And honestly, Louis Castillo, I can very much get on board with having to pay it, like go, oh my gosh, break my heart to pay Luis Castillo right now.
Speaker 3: And he's he got off to a rough start this year, but like he's been much better recently. Like I think he has like a mid three era since like mid May, so like he's pitching closer to like what his old form is. Like he's not quite his prime Luis Castillo, but like he'd still be a hell of up there than Anthony Kay and Eric Fetti. And if we don't have to give up much for him in terms of prospect capital, again, why would.
Speaker 1: You not do that? He's an absolute dog on the mound too. If anybody can turn around and have like a strong playoff run just kind of out of the blue, it would be a guy like Luis Castillo. Yep.
Speaker 2: Let's uh, let's talk next about a guy. Logan web Jose De Santiago Colie on Facebook. What are the possibilities of the White Sox landing logan web and how many prospects will it take to get him one top one hundred or what's the price? Basically he mentioned Noah Schultz as well. Duke, I think you're gonna take this one. I know you're a big logan Web guy, And I'll ask kind of the follow up question on top of this is are you willing to move Noah Schultz in the right package, whether or not it's the Logan Web package.
Speaker 1: Well, it's gonna have to. It's gonna take San Francisco being willing to accept that they're kink, that they're willing to give up a guy like Logan Web. This guy who's going to be under control until about twenty twenty nine, has a has a decent sized little contract. Honestly signed it in twenty four or five years, ninety million, which would actually be right up the ballpark of what the white sex should be spending on a picture like Logan Web. But you're gonna get consistency out of this guy every single day. He's going to be the exact type of picture you want in this rotation. Right now, he is just consistency personified. Not a lot of strikeouts, doesn't get hit hard, doesn't walk a ton of batters, has had a little bit of a walk issues this year, but something that can definitely get honed in. It's going to depend on where San Francisco sees a roster. And I also think a guy out of San Francisco too, you should take a look at and we brought him up on this podcast quite a bit Skuy like Robbie Ray. So there there is discussions that should definitely happen in San Francisco. As far as what they're going to pull for a guy like Logan Web, it's gonna be tough with that contract control. He's gonna definitely be the higher price. They're definitely gonna be dangling a guy like Robbie Ray instead of him. Honestly, I don't think this. I don't see the unless unless the Socks really can get good value for a team that like would really buy into the development cycle, that's gonna be Noah Schultz. I don't see him getting involved in too much in this trade deadline. And I still feel like the Socks are still really high on him despite what he's shown on the major league level. But I do think top one hundred. I mean, how many top one hundred prospects do we have in the system right now?
Speaker 3: Like I mean right now, if you're not including Rockchalowski since he can't be traded, you really have two unanimous ones that's uh, that's Bonimer and Billy Carlson. So though that's pretty much it. I mean, Hagen Smith is still technically on MLB pipeline, but I would be surprised if he's still a top hunch of prospect when they actually refresh that.
Speaker 2: I think if you're moving a guy with control, you have to be willing to move Bonomer straight up.
Speaker 1: Or either Bontomer was the guy guy that kind of came to mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're getting guy with control, you're moving Bonomer. I know it's a mixed opinion on moving Schultz. I just it depends on and Duke we have this conversation, depends on how long you think this development timeline is for him. I happen to think it's maybe a little bit longer than the average fan does. And I'm gonna say, yeah, I'd move him if the right package came together. I'm not moving him for a rental, obviously, but when you're talking about years of control, you got to give up a pretty penny and no matter who it is, and especially like eighteen million on average for Loco webs contract the next the two years of control, like yeah, that's that's less than an a starter makes, so straight up, you got you gotta be willing to pay for it. So alright, we're gonna go to Dave Charline's question. If I can find the right buttons to hit, there we go, Nick, I think this one's going to you. I keep hearing Mason Miller's name being linked to the Sacks. Personally, I think he would be a lower priority than at least one starter that has shown the ability to pitch deep into games. Nick agreed, disagree.
Speaker 4: I yeah, I mostly agree. There are a lot of intricacies with the Mason Miller debate happening among white Sox fans right now, and I do respect that it's obviously not a repeat of Craig Camberrell, and that he's better than Craig Camberrell. He's pretty much an automatic this season, so you have to give him credit there. And of course, unlike Kimberly still has several three and a half years of control, whereas Kimball was a rental, so that's the main difference there. However, that also means the prospect package is going to be much much bigger. This is where Caleb Bonhamer would almost certainly be included, would have to be included, I should say, I don't even know if a Billy Carlson headline package is enough for Mason Miller. Give them what they Yeah, Michael agrees, given what they traded to get for him last year. They traded a top five prospects in baseball, so it probably would have to be Bonham or plus plus. And there was a comment in our chat from Uncle Ted who said that he would rather have Adrian Murray Hone than Mason Miller, saying, also on the padres another very good reliever, and he would be a rental. So I'm actually in agreement with that, even though Murray Hone is a lefty and we have a lot of good lefties and the bullpen already still just from a prospect capital standpoint, would agree there. But yeah, the argument against it, or against me, I should say, is just imagine Mason Miller in this bullpen you have. He gets the ninth inning, you know, Grant Taylor gets the eighth and or seventh. I like the game just ends after the seventh inning, kind of like the Hendrix kimberrel thing, at least in theory, not how it really worked out, of course, but I get the allure of that. I'm just too concerned about the starting pitching to say that I want to cash all the chips in on a ninth inning guy. That's why I'm saying, if we're going to trade Bonhmer, I'd rather not. But if we're going to trade Bonber, I'd rather be for a Logan Web type than for a Mason Miller. But you know, maybe you do a trade with the Padres. Maybe if it is with me Samiller, than great. But maybe you find a way to get some other guys thrown in, like a Michael King or I always injured, like a Giorlito, or somebody who could at least help you a little bit on the starting side. That's like maybe the silver lining if you want a starter. But overall, yeah, I would be quite the cost to get Miller, And while he is pretty much an automatic save, it's still a very hefty cost when you have a lot of other needs.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, for.
Speaker 3: What it's sort of, I don't get Logan Web or Mason Miller are getting traded this deadline. I'd be shocked if either of them they ended up getting moved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what you got to San Francisco. I really think Robbie Rai is the most most realistic one they would move on from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I honestly agree with that. So next couple questions I will be taking and then a little bit faster for both of them. Rich Bensinger, how can we get rid of Sir Anthony Demingez? I you really can't. Unfortunately, I think they've kind of nerved him as much as possible. To be honest with you, he came in a twelve to three ball game today and did fine, So you've got to build his confidence back up right at a certain point. He needs to get better and you kind of need him otherwise now you need an extra ble pen arm. So I don't know, it's it's a weird situation and a not an easy one either, But the short answer is you gotta just kind of do what they've been doing and kind of nerve him as much as possible. So next one White Sox three. Seeing as our catcher position is an automatic out, no matter what, would y'all rather see us get a good number three pitcher and continue to suffer mediocre catching, or go get an eight grade catcher and bring up Sandlin or Smith to cover for Schultz after this weekend? To be honest with you, I think you need two starters at this point. I Fetti being four innings twice through the order max plus Schultz not really showing you anything to that he can get through six innings. You really need to starters. I think started ask to be the priority, but I don't think that allows you to skip out on getting a catcher. But I don't think you got to break the bank, especially because now Langoliers is hurt too. They're not gonna move him. We talked ad nause and about Rutchmand's not getting moved, so that leaves everyone bidding for hunder Goodman, and I just don't think the Socks would win that that that trade bidding. So all right, Michael, I'm gonna pass it to you. Just handle one, two three from YouTube. What do you think the planet potentially bring up some arms from Triple A down the stretch, I assume mostly in a reliever role. And do you think there's any potential to leverage some of their veteran arms as trade chips?
Speaker 3: Uh? So I'm gonna i'll tackle that second question.
Speaker 1: First.
Speaker 3: You mentioned Chris Murphy and Trevor Richards there.
Speaker 1: Like maybe they could.
Speaker 3: I think they'd have to have some some trade for to acquire relievers in line before they commit to trading one of those guys.
Speaker 1: Just because you don't want to deplete your bullpen too much.
Speaker 3: Like it's possible depending on if, like if that's the way you can get the starting pitching help you need. Maybe I'd say, like if there's a reliever like on the current mob roster who could get trade, I think like the most likely one would be like Tyler Schweitzer, who's still the closer to that prospect status and you're probably not going to be on the roster in a playoff push, but maybe has a little bit of upside, So like i'd say there's a less likelihood of that happening. But in terms of the Triple A arms, yeah, I think that I think the plan is that they're going to call up both Tanner McDougall and Hagen Smith to join the bullpen like soon, like within the next couple of weeks, Like maybe they want to see what their bullpen looks like after the trade deadline. But I think that the plan for moving both of them to the bullpen in Triple A now was like directly correlated with their plan to get them in the Major League bullpen like for this playoff push, so like that would I'd be more surprised if they aren't up, honestly, Shane Smith, I don't know, like they haven't really put him in a bullpen roll and he's still kind of inconsistent in triple A, Like it's hard to really trust him right now. One more name I want to mention, and it would actually be as a starter is Mason Adams has been pretty good in his starts now that he's healthy and back in the Charlotte Knights rotation. Like, if you can't get two starting pitchers of this deadline, don't be surprised to see him make some starts this year. I mean I would probably replace him with No Schultz in the rotation right now, for being completely honest, Like, just see what he's got in the m'll be uh in MLB setting right now. But yeah, that's just one more name to keep an.
Speaker 1: Eye on there. I'm sorry, I'm I'm just watching like a civil war go on between our chat and I think it's pretty great. Uncle Ted and White sox SO three are really going at it. I appreciate you boys, Just just so you guys all know anyone watching this I'm watching the chat and I'm getting the real kick. You're talking some good stuff out here.
Speaker 2: I know there are some good questions in there. I want to make sure we find time for once we get through some of these earlier ones too.
Speaker 1: So I think, for the record, right before we get to another one, just because you kind of flew through it, how many relievers do we have that are just so much worse? And Sir Anthony Domingus when it comes to expectations versus reality, Yes, nobody's nobody's failed worse since Sir Anthony Domingus out of our bullpen. But we could do so much worse, and based on how much we're paying him, like there's absolutely no chance he's going anywhere.
Speaker 2: I do agree with that. I do agree you could do much this This is this was who he is right like this. Yes the results are a little bit worse, but high strike out rate, high walk rate, like this is look look at the numbers from years past. This is who he is.
Speaker 1: And he absolutely shoves in the playoffs when he's when he's asked to go on abound. He has a career, great career playoff record, So all right, not to defend him, he has been awful, but I.
Speaker 2: Do get it though. But next question from at Jacob underscore Shiner on Twitter x whatever. The Socks have been linked to Clay Holmes, who has a two thirty five ERA but mid to high threes in his peripherals. Nick, I do love this question. It is going to you. Do you guys with bad peripherals more often get priced per their results or their future expectations?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a great question. Uh. Kind of two things here. The first one is Clay Holmes in general. Yeah, I agree with the maybe the implication here if the White Soxes do end up trading for Clay Holmes. As a fan, I would not think of it as oh my god, we just got our ace, our game one starter at blah blah blah, give it more as we just got like a solid number three. Who can you you're comfortable giving the ball to in the playoffs? But he's not the guy, you know what I mean. So, in terms of the question, do guys with bad peripherals more often get priced based on the results of the future? I do think, and I'd welcome obviously anyone else's thoughts on this, but I do think the MLB teams are a lot more worried about protecting the future when they make these deals rather than just trading for a guy based on those era. I think Duke brought up Robbie Ray at one point. Robby Ray has a great ra right now, it's like three point one five or whatever, but pretty much everything else looks bad. And I'm not saying I don't want him, like I actually kind of do. I think he'd be a good fit. He has you know, a lot of experiences, et cetera. But I wouldn't be paying you know, top dollar for him either, because the peripherals are bad. So, at least my read on it, I don't have a great trade to point to as an example, but I think that teams tend to care more about the under the hood stuff, whether it's peripherals or whether it's even getting even a layer deeper than that, like the information that's not even publicly available to fans, like the deeper version of what you would get from stat cast. I think that goes into it a lot, basically thinking about it in terms of not what does this guy, what has he done in the past, But if we can tweak him in this way, or we can make an adjustment with him, what do we think he'll do for us in the future. So in somebody in the case with somebody like Clay Holmes, you're hoping that he I mean, you're you're hoping he can continue being a two point three to five ye right pitcher whiche and is unlikely, but more realistically, you're hoping he can just give you six innings and you know, get quality starts like six inning and three run and you know the occasional one or two is what you're hoping for from him. Because his problem is he has he relies a lot on his sinker, but he doesn't really miss bats, which is fine if you're getting a lot of ground balls. But his problem is he gives up a little more, sorry, a few more flyballs and he would think for a primary sinker guy at least this season so far, and he gets hit pretty hard, which if it's on the ground it doesn't matter too much. But he's got to focus on, you know, just keeping the contact on the ground, because that's always the problem with sinker bawlers. You don't miss bats. As soon as that ground ball right goes from fifty five percent to like fifty or forty five. Even though it seems slight, it ends up making a huge impact on the overall performance. So I like him as a trade target. But I would want the White Sox to be trading for the you know, the underlying metrics, and not the era, because that's where you end up losing a lot of deals.
Speaker 2: I agree with that, and I would be comfort I would like to see them. I think the Mets are a great trade partner for them if they really wanted to get a controllable catcher that isn't the top of the market. Francisco Alvarez would be interesting to me, butcher behind the plate, But so's everybody the Socks have had so far, so at a certain point, get a bat, right like that? That's the one thing when it comes to and I know it's not the question, but to kind of take a little bit of a tangent. That's the thing where I talk about, like, you know, we've survived without the catching piece. It's like, yes, so if you can add a bat, why don't you Because the defense has been pretty bad regardless, so why not just make put a bat there? But Holmes I like a lot I thing if you added two Holmes type pitchers that would be fine for me. My problem is, yes, he's not exactly your guaranteed six inning guy, right, And I think that was my biggest concern so far. But I think in terms of the question around peripherals and how it is, it's like a negotiation, right, Like I'm going to go in and I'm going to say, I've got this guy with a two thirty five ERA, which is top whatever in the league, right, and a smart team is gonna be like, nah, well they're what's really going on under the hood there, Like what are some of the numbers behind it? All of these teams have it. I think it's negotiation points, And Duke Michael, I welcome your thoughts as well. I think it ends up that the peripherals help realistic set the realistic piece of the price and maybe bring it back to the reality of it to where the results are going to speak for themselves obviously, but I do think the peripherals kind of help right size any sort of value in a trade.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, And actually I saw something in the chat just asking about like underrated arms like Robbie Ray and Clay Holmes are kind of like those are kind of your answers, because those are kind of like the not necessarily bargain bind trades. They would be the easier trades to make than say, going and get a guy like Detmur's or Schooble, which isn't fucking happening. I need people to really just get off of that. It's not gonna happen if we get Schooble, Like the next trade would be us going and trading for Adley Rutchman. Like that's that's how deep you have to think you were about to go in if you're in trade for a freaking Schooble on a rental. And but I really I agree with the assessment that you kind of made on that Nick with Yes, that era looks great. It's kind of like when you see the batting average of a hitter, Wow, that looks awesome, but then you just kind of ignore everything else. That's that's why guys who you know, they'll hit two sixty nine batting average and then they won't be in the league the next year because other teams are smartened up to that. But does that mean that a Clay Holmes or a Robbie Ray wouldn't be a net positive or net win for this trade deadline. Absolutely not I would take either of them, and I think uh Luis Castillo another one. There's definitely there's definitely those arms out there. Every team kind of has some of those guys. But that's why you're gonna see That's why you're gonna see some of these guys get traded for underwhelming returns even though they have a low ERA. It's kind of similar to when we traded Adrian Houser last year. You know, that's really the best ession.
Speaker 2: That's a good comp of like what value might look like for guys with decent numbers, but like what's really going on under the hood. The Eric Fetti one is another one where we not we all. I hated that trade at the time, and I have to eat a lot of crap for that because I hated that trade. But that's that's an interesting kind comp as well of another guy who clearly under the hood. Anybody who has opened Baseball Reference in their lifetime or fan Graphs saw the issues with Fetti and that kind of those two deals I think are good ones to be like, Hey, how how does e er versus your peripheral? How do results versus peripherals? Kind of balance out there always an interesting part of it.
Speaker 3: So quick note, my cardio has never been better with all the victory laps. I've been running around being happy about that. In miguelve Artist trade, no one likes a gloater. You know, it's good to be humble, Mike, that one was so hated on though that, like I have to I'm sorry, but like the people that were talking about, oh, they should have gotten Connor Norby instead, like it.
Speaker 1: Still insultome drives me.
Speaker 2: I had a bad couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: I'm going to keep running those victory laps on that one I had.
Speaker 2: I had a bad couple of weeks. Take it a quick sid of My brother and I don't often agree on this team, but both of us have looked at each other recently like we both were wrong about that trade. And the last thing I'll say on the Holmes piece are just guys in general, like the Rays, the Holmes, maybe don't blow your socks off. It's another kind of tangential story. My dad and I are both not super handymen, but we do things around the house and we have a saying it's better than it was before. So if you can do that that's my bar for a lot of this team, especially at the trade deadline when we don't really know what you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: So my victory lapse will be around probably next year when it comes to Louisan Helicunya, because I was trying really hard not to run them during this past month.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: Because Tristan Peters and Louis on Helicunya. I know Trisan wasn't included in that trade, but looking a lot better than what we would be getting out of Luise Robert this year.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of Luis on Halacunya, maybe I'll send this one to you, Duke. This is from at Fuagman Fuagman on X. You guys need easier Twitter handles for me please. I get that a Kunia has some value in speed and versatility, but I feel that Peter's inevitable regression leads to a greater need for more outfielders. I would call up both Hayes and Prayer for Kunia and perez Antanachi can play backup infield. Do you see this as a possibility? Basically, I think they sent down Junior pres after the game today, I saw someone tweeted that it was on his transaction logs. What do you do at this point duke your thoughts.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a difficult crunch that we've kind of kind of been dealing with for most of the year, and I think Tristian Peters has covered up a lot of it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's a touchy subject to try to talk about Tristan Peter's inevitable regression because we've kind of everyone's kind of been riding the high of it. You know, he's got the great story, the former Savannah Banana being named the All Star, Like, there's there's a lot there that would that's really endeared him to the fans. I was I've really been battling in my head for the probably the past month about do we do we move on from Tristan Peters while his value is at the absolute highest in one of these trades, to be able to get a more needed piece to this offense. Because while Tristan is a great player, great story, I do not necessarily want him to get traded. But it's something that's been kind of teetering around in my mind where it's like, if he if he regresses to the norm of what everyone thought a Tristan Peters was gonna be. Yeah, we're gonna there's not gonna be a lot there for us. You know, he's gonna be what the fourth outfielder at a certain point that you know next year if everything starts to kind of fall apart from him and then him kind of struggling here outside of the All Star break really hasn't helped anything either. So I think that's more the thought process you need to kind of keep in mind, because he would be a valuable piece, I think at the deadline, and you know it would be a shocker. Teams would be surprised that we did move a Tristan Peters with the first part of the year that he had. But you have to have a serious discussion if you think he's going to be a long the long term center fielder, and I don't I don't know how to answer that. I really don't like. I don't. If some of you have better answers to whether you think Tristan Peters is a long term answer in center field or not, by all means, bring it to me. But until then, I would say likely we stick with Tristan Peters in center obviously, and I don't think Acuni is going anywhere just because of how well he's done in the last in the last month or two, especially with how bad he started, he's really starting to thrive and what his role is. Got picked off on a really bad play today, so of course I have to bring that up. But overall, like he also made it to first base on a play that a lot of the lineup isn't going to make it to first base on that just automatically. Like the second you see at infielder stumble with the ball that Luis on Helacuna hit, you already know he's getting into first base, And there is a lot of value in that, especially in a pinch hitter type of role, where somebody who is very much a platoon type hitter is in a situation late in the game and you can get something out of Luisan Helacuna, which is something they've already started testing around with, especially with Andrew Bennett. Tendy. It's a good question, it's a really good question, and I'm interested to see kind of how that shift happens with what we're going to do in the outfield as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a lot a lot of moving parts to the question, and to your point, Duke. It's good because there are so many different ways they can do it. The Peter's question, I mean, yeah, I don't. I'm not yet convinced he's the long term answer, but I kind of want to let him show me that he Isn't you know what I mean? That he's earned more. I mean, if you're going to trade him, try to capitalize. That's one thing. But I don't think you need to be too worried about him falling off. I mean, he might fall off this season, but you don't need to have continuencies in place necessarily because there's so many different ways this could go right. I mean, Acunya to your point, I'm not just saying this to be nice to you. Like Acunya has value. Like you said, he's a great runner, he can play multiple positions. He's actually been hitting for the last month and a half. Like there's value when that player. You're not going to DFA that player because one of Everson Perera Austin Hayes needs to spot what you could do if you really want to get creative and you love Peerra and Hayes is I'm not saying I want them to do this, but they were both kind of the lefty Masher prototype at least, I mean Hayes maybe a little bit more, since he's not as athletic or good defensively as Pereira. What you could do is Randall Gritchik has not really been that great over He has like a four forty oh ps, I want to say, over the last month, and it's a small sample because he's a short side platoon guy. But if you really trust Hayes and Pereira, that could be the switch. As Junior Perez has already gone or already been optioned, so we don't know the corresponding movie yet, but you could maybe trade Gritchik instead of trading, know, making a more bold move like a Tristan Peters or an Akuna or whatever. That's an option the White Sox have. I don't think they're going to do it, but there are a lot of different things they could do. I mean, maybe Colson Montgomery if the back is bothering him or something. You know, he's falling ball off his shin. If that keeps happening, he doesn't eye ol stint. You don't have to reinvent the wheel. You could just move my drafts short temporarily and it's Nachia to a second and great, now you have an open outfield spot for somebody like Hayes or Perera to play in or Gritchick to play in every day. So they have flexibility and there's really not a wrong answer. It's just a matter of who do they believe in more. I think when when you're talking about a Hayes or a Carrera to some extent in Acuna too.
Speaker 2: Perera is such an interesting case too, because like he really hasn't hit them well this year, Like I don't know, I'm not breaking down the door to make room for him. Personally, I think Hayes is a veteran you know what you're getting.
Speaker 4: Is what it is.
Speaker 2: But because it's kind of the same way with Richick, right, like none of them have been like you can't move this guy. I think this plays into I think playtime at playtimes six one six four. I also asked this on Twitter about Pereira and Hayes's trade value. These questions were kind of related. I don't think they have trade value, to be honest, but I also don't know how much value they have to the white sex. So you have like three or four guys that maybe do the same thing earlier this season two we talked about with Acunya. I was like, you know, you can dfam at this point, this was back when he had like a four hundred ops, Like, you can dfam and keep him in the organization because it's too early for teams to want a speed guy. Now that's not the case. So you're you're keeping Akunya because he's number one, been better, but number two he serves a legitimate purpose for you down that down the line. So I don't know with it does really come down to your point, Nick, with Pereira, Hayes and Richick, who do you like the best. I think they'll probably air towards Pereira being younger, but he's been hurt so much and there's nothing. I know, he had a couple of good games, but I'm not trying to find playing time for him. I don't know. It's a difficult question.
Speaker 1: I also think it can't be discounted that there is a good chance the White Sox are trying to keep Antonacci in left field long term, and they're trying to kind of get him to learn that position and really stick with it because he has he'll have the occasional moment where like he misreads the ball. I saw a lot of people giving him flack in Cleveland over over that air when we barely had grass to play on. I think this isn't a situation, This isn't Andrew Vaughn in leftfield. Sam is far more capable of a fielder, and potentially that could be his spot. Like I, we're still we still have a while to go before we're going to see some of these you know, thirty short steps that we've brought, that we've drafted or brought in that will end up getting moved to somewhere in the outfield or unless we decide to make an outfield move in the offseason. I don't see any reason why to move Sam out of left field. Ain't like any point in the upcoming future. And I wouldn't be thrised if the Socks have already kind of started to be like, hey, really learn left field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't really have much coming up the pipeline in terms of outfielders, So I kind of agree with you on that, Like, I think that they want him penciled in at left field because like, you don't have much else coming up anytime soon. That's also another reason why I don't think they're gonna trade Perera those because Gritchick and Hayes they're off the team next year regardless where Pereerra still has some team control. So even if, like maybe he's not the best contributor right now, I think that is going to play a factor in it, like filling out next year's step chart, like you at least can have him in competing for a spot already versus Hayes.
Speaker 1: And Gritchi Kor are going to be on the open market for the record, and I know he's played well. Sorry, Nick, I forget grid Jack's on the roster for large portions of the time. To be honest, I love it when I love it when it reminds me because I'm like, man, this guy killed Flapty.
Speaker 4: But eh, yeah, when we don't when we don't face the lefty starter for a while, I totally get what you mean, like you kind of forget he's there. But I think we're facing two out of four lefties and against the Yankees, so we'll see some of him this week, he would think. But yeah, on the the left field point for Antonaci, I think is a good one. Totally agree that he's more capable than vaugh and can learn the position. And also what we haven't said but I think deserves to be said, is Tase Midroff has been so good at second that it's almost like, I don't everyone's still always like, oh, what money were going to trade? Mindrophe if so many infielders who got to trade and trade and trade. He's the seventh best second basement in baseball this year on Fangrafts four. Like he's he's a legitimately good player. He has no real weaknesses than the lack of power, and he still has enough power to keep the outfield honest, unlike a Nick Madriugal. So I mean, yeah, moving at Nachi back to second could make sense in a world where mind draft isn't there where you make him like utility player. But he's like at two and a half wins above replacement this year and we still have sixty games left in the season. That's a player I want to build a round. I even sound thrown in in some like Mason Miller discussions or like you know, hypothetical trades, and it's like, we got six and a half more years of my draft, Like that's that's valuable. That's more valuable than a lot of people he's being put in the trade talks with. So sorry to go on a tangent, but yeah, I think I like Antonachi in left field actually long term, I think the bat plays there too. I wouldn't be surprised in Michael, maybe you can if you have thoughts on this, feel free to share. I wouldn't be surprised if Bonhamer doesn't stick in the infield, just because I mean he averages like an error every two and a half games or something like that. But I don't know where he would go though, because like center field would be tough.
Speaker 2: Maybe a corner.
Speaker 3: Well, I've thought about this a lot actually, and like, no, he's not a short stop. I think like the White Sox, No, he's not a short stop. I mean, the the obvious move should be the third base, but like you probably have one or one of Rock Schaallawski or Coulson probably penciled into your long term third baseman and then moving you know, Nicol Vargus over to first base with Marikami dhing So, like, where does that leave Bonhamer? Which is another reason why I'm not sold that he should be untouchable because there's not a clear spot for him personally. I think maybe right field could be a spot for him, move move a Montgomery over to center field potentially, if you know Tristian Peters doesn't stick there.
Speaker 1: That's just I trust me.
Speaker 3: I've been doing this brand exercise for a while trying to figure out where some of these guys fit in, and right field kind of is the one that I keep going back to. But like, that's not just a clear fit. He still us to learn how to play the outfield, which granted, that's why you draft shortstops because they can usually play anywhere in the field, which I've had to reiterate to a lot of people, But like there is still learning curve that goes with that. So it's it's a good problem to have having all these you know, puzzle pieces trying to figure out where they fit in. But like Chase my draft taking that step up this year does complicate Bottomer's future and even Billy Carlson's, Like I don't know specifically where the white socks are going to have them penciled in for the for the future.
Speaker 1: You know, Michael, I do share your pain about shortstops. And having you explain to people why teams always draft shortstops drives me. It's like, have you ever played did you? Did you play any form of baseball? You always put the best field there at shortstop every single time without fail. Also, and uh, last, I know you're gonna have another question here, but Michael, do you remember who was on this podcast who just really did not kind of thought Chase my draft was just kind of a throw into that trade did and really it wasn't wasn't too high on him now to get a really really low ceiling.
Speaker 2: Wait, did you say that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You said that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, me, yes, you It sounds like Michael said it down I thought you were talking about Michael said to Live, I remember.
Speaker 1: About me.
Speaker 2: I'll have to look back. I don't know. I probably wasn't high on him. My agree, I probably liked him. I don't know. I like guys that walk, and I like guys that.
Speaker 3: Walk ividly remember talking about how he's probably going to be more of a depth player than a starter.
Speaker 1: Or so I thought that was directed towards me. So myself then I I misremember then maybe it was just me and Nick that were high on in my draft.
Speaker 2: But uh, yeah, or whatever, I'm out of, just so fans know I'm out of like pre asked questions for anyone who sent those in. So first of all, thank you to everyone who did those. I have a few other one if there are more in the chat, if you guys want to add some, we'll answer those as we come towards the end here. I do have one more from one of our guys, but I will say a couple things. Number one, if you have questions, throw them in the chat now, we'll keep an eye on it. Number two, we'll get to our question from Brett. But number three, Michael, I meant to ask this earlier. Do you feel like I might have missed this? Do you feel like Braden Montgomery can play centerfield too? He's been awesome and right I wouldn't necessarily want to move him. But as you're thinking about the question of like trying to like I brought up Joe at all. For example, if he wanted to get a corner outfielder or an outfielder that could hit left handed pitching, obviously a Dalle can't play center. Can Montgomery play center? Do you think? Or is it something where it's like I could is a.
Speaker 3: Stretch of a his best fit is in right field. They played him a good amount in center field, though, like coming up through the miners, Like, I think that they trust him enough that, like, if that's where things had to play out, he could probably handle it. He's still much more your prototypical right fielder though, so like, if they can keep him in right field, I think that's ideal, But you don't really have a center field solution if Tristan Peters doesn't stick, Like Tristan Peters might still stick, like I don't want to give up on him, especially after the season he's having. I have some concerns that I also share with the rest of you about his long term outlook. But he might still be that answer. But if he's not, I think that's probably where they would go first is moving Montgomery to center seeing how he plays there, because again, he got a lot of runway there in especially double A and triple A. So I could see that definitely being an option.
Speaker 2: Makes sense. I was just curious. More so, it's like I want to put together an article our question from Brett. I will continue to go through these Marlins have lost twelve in a row and have certainly changed their fate and how they might approach the deadline anyone of interest there. Do you think it might have changed their fate? Do you think they'll still kind of sell off or do you think, hey, it's they might just not do anything. But basically Marlin's intrigue at all. It's a team we haven't talked about at all. I don't think.
Speaker 3: I mean there's if they were going to be reasonable about their asking price with him, which they haven't been in years past. I would love Sandy L. Contra in this rotation. I think he fits really well. I think he's again the thing that I keep going back to is you need an upgrade over Kay and Fetti. I think he absolutely clears that he's got another year under contract after this year, and he's such a good innings year that I think that would really benefit this pitching staff as a whole, especially benefiting the bullpen. Like that's a fit that I really like. But they've never been reasonable about their asking price for him. They've always just like asked for asked you to sell the farm for him, and like he's he's not an ace, like he had some ace level, you know, years back in the early twenty twenties, but like, he hasn't been that recently, so it depends on what they would actually want for him. But if they're going to be reasonable, that's where I would start.
Speaker 2: That comes back to the question we talked about with like peripherals versus reality.
Speaker 4: It does. And the thing without contract too, is that he even in a I mean a quote unquote down here, he's still like a serviceable startup pitcher. He still leads the league, gettings pitched, and for a White Sox team that's constantly asking the bullpen to come out in the fourth and fifth inning, that alone is he was just for getting your reliever, even if you don't trust him in the playoffs. Getting your believers fresh for the playoffs so that they're not you know, walking into a playoff series with their arms already falling off would have a lot of value, I think. So I agree with Michael that historically they've been very you know, a little pie in the sky. Let's stay about the asking price. But from a pure fit standpoint, I love the fit. I just don't know, and to be honest, I wasn't thinking they were going to sell. I know, like Brett said, they're on this massive losing streak, which I didn't see coming, so kind of unexpected.
Speaker 1: Overall, I would say instead of Sandy L. Contra and it's it sucks because he just got onto the IR or the I L But I really like my Max Mayor and the rotation. Big fan of what he's done this year. I can be honest and saying that he's helped me win parlays, so that plays a big role in it as well. But as far as like pitching strikeout overs, this guy just shoves very good picture. This is his first year where he's really been competitive in the rotation. It's complicated because he's in the IL situation, but he's an even all star. Would really like that as well. If Miami's willing to do a full send, so.
Speaker 2: I would cost you a pretty funny that's like your star. And with Schultz in that conversation, you're you're giving up the six years of Schultz for the three years of Meyer for example. That's that's exactly where you start getting into those types of conversations as well.
Speaker 1: But low key, I'm open to that. I'll be honest. Yeah, as big of a Schultz guy as I am. If if it's sagas Max Mayor, I'd find a way to be fine with it.
Speaker 3: I did mention Noah Schultz as a potential trade possibility in my recent article. I specifically mentioned that like it would there's next to no scenarios where that's possible, Max Mayor, that one, yeah, I could, I could get behind that one. That might be something that could even intrigue the.
Speaker 1: White Sox a little bit.
Speaker 3: It'll never happen, but like that's one of those few scenarios where like, okay, like if like a team's asking for Schultz for this player, you at least have to have the conversation.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, to me, it's even better. It would be even better than like a Logan Web or any pretty much any other starting pitcher. Then we've discussed other than Schoogle, which isn't happening. So yeah, I agree with you guys there. But while we've been talking, actually there was one rumor that came up from Jim Bowden, who he has his own podcast. Now I know he used to do with The Athletic and a couple others, but on this podcast, apparently he and his co host are reporting that the Mets are shopping their catchers Francisco Alvaress whom we talked about, not so Louis Torrens, and he said, watch out for the White Sox on Torrens. I'm told they're engaged with them. So how do you guys feel about that? Michael U semed to have some thought.
Speaker 3: I've been looking at him. Actually I like that a lot. He's been a pretty solid catcher, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's under contract for pretty cheap for one more year after this year. Two. That's one, Like he's been a rock solid catcher, like splaiting time with Alvarez, much better behind the plate than Alvarez, and he's not a world beater at the plate, but like he's good enough. Like that, that's one that I would really like.
Speaker 2: That's that kind of helps me with the question. And I've asked a couple of times, like what do the Socks want out of a catcher? Do they want a game manager, someone who elevates them defensively, which they've been terrible at, or do they just want a bat and say, hey, we're tired of having a black hole in this line? Whoever was in White Sox three asked that question about like, are we fine keeping a black hole. Let's at least upgrade the defense. If that's true, that might trend towards You're less about the Stevenson's of the world and the Jonah Hims of the world, and you're looking at a Torrents who's, yes, by all metrics, incredibly strong defensively, but doesn't really swing at too well with the bat. All right, let's just continue to get away with not having that. That would be interesting to me. It would signal the answer to that question. I keep asking, like, what do you want? Do you want a defense guy or a bat first guy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't speak for Chris Gotzer will benable on that, but you can find a lot of defensive catchers out there. We need, we need something offensively out of that position, in my opinion at this point.
Speaker 2: So we'll take a couple of questions from the chat and then we'll round it on out here and du can take us out. I saw one question about Chilowski that I thought, Michael, you might be interested in any chance he finds some time in Birmingham this year, what do you think the plan is for him with the idea of the hope that he comes up at some point in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to rule out Birmingham this year. I think it's I wouldn't expect it. I think more than likely he starts at Birmingham next year. I think the goal with getting him signed so quickly is that he can get a couple tune up games in Arizona to start before that season ends, because that season ends incredibly quickly after the draft, which is one of the many reasons why I hate the timing of the MLB draft. But that's a whole other conversation we can get into. But I think he's gonna spend a few games in Arizona, probably go to Winston Salem, and I think probably stick there if for no other reason than they're probably going to be a playoff team and you can get some extra games in a playoff setting for Hya Winston Salem, so I could see them wanting to keep him there just to get a little bit of extra time. Again, I won't rule out double A. I'd be a little surprised. I wouldn't be shocked, but I think more than likely he's gonna end the year in HIE Winston Salem start next year in Birmingham.
Speaker 2: That was at Baseball Toss. By the way, I forgot to add that I don't hate that idea of just it's not even slow playing it either. Like slow playing it is like, oh yeah, sitting high a I'd prefer not to move it that fast, if it's my personal opinion. But I know there's things they want to do mechanics wise. I mean, they talked about I think we've talked about it before on the show the extended lead arm. It's kind of like that arm bar type thing, and they talked about that. I think it was in the Jesse Rodgers article where they were going back and forth like emer sin Er Chalowski. I think stuff like that'll be easier to fix when you don't have to worry about getting ready for a game every day too, So that.
Speaker 3: It really is like getting that inside look that was such a good read. If you haven't read that yet, I encourage you to go back and read that. That was an awesome article Getting an inside look in the White Sox war room.
Speaker 2: One other question I'm seeing here. This comes from Unlock three D three three. It's kind of something we had talked about earlier. But I'm gonna you could have just said unlocked, unlocked three, don't do things live everybody, Yeah, unlocked thirty three. Geez god, sorry, I'm dumb. AnyWho. He was talking about the fact that guests there's the rumor that he might not trade any of the top ten prospects whatever, and the idea of not giving up the farm sure, but mentioned Billy Carlson specifically. I guess the way I'm going to phrase this question is more about Carlson and why it feels like everyone's willing to give him up in potential trades, and Michael kind of lean back to you on that. I guess, Duke and Nick to you as well. Do you feel comfortable with the idea of, like, yeah, if they were going to give up a bigger name, Carlson is fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean so, I was on this podcast before the draft last year being a massive Billy Carlson guy, and I was ecstatic when they did end up taking him with the tenth pick last year. But it feels like he's been destined to be a trade candidate since they drafted him, just because we're the hell are you gonna play him like it? I just don't see a spot long term for him, and he has value, Like he makes too much sense to be a big time trade ship for this team as someone whose primary source of value is his ability to play shortstop at a high level. But Colson, I mean, I know it hasn't looked as good recently, and I wonder if maybe there's something going on with his back or I don't want to speculate, but like, he hasn't looked as good defensively recently, but like overall, he has been a good defensive shortstop. This year, Rockchalowski was one of the best defensive shortstops in college baseball. You still have Kleb Bondmoor, who is technically shortstop, even though I don't think he's gonna end up their long term. There's not really a spot for Carlson. And he could play anywhere in the diamond. I fully believe he could successfully move anywhere in the field and just right off the bat be amazing at it. But that only brings so much value, like when you have guys that are pretty much penciled into every position, Like I don't think it makes sense to hold on to him for too long.
Speaker 4: I would.
Speaker 3: I think he's probably better off. I don't even know if he'll be at this deadline or over the off season or maybe even next year, but at some point I think there's gonna need to be a decision made about who has to get moved, and he's the most likely candidate to me.
Speaker 1: You know, Michael, if I heard you for a company, I would hire you as the guy to break bad news to people because you started, you started so good or you know, talking about how excited you were about him, and then you're just yeah, but you know, it's it's getting tough. I guess uh. And that's honestly, it was a perfect breakdown of it. I think with really like all these short steps we do have in the system right now, it just keeps taking me back to, like, what is our long term plan in center field? Who can who can play there? Who do we have currently in the prospect pool? Who is has the best shot to be our long term center fielder? And if you're willing to go out and sign a good you know, good side, good side, good sized market center fielder this offseason, which is hilarious because we're we're Chicago White Sox fans, But is that the route you want to take? Do you? I don't know. I'm just because if we have every if we have every spot penciled in and we're dead serious about opening the window, then they should all be available. But if they have one of these guys kind of penciled in where they're like, you know, I think this guy could actually look really good in center, that'd be the untouchable one. But outside of Chris Getz's office, it's going to be hard to find that answer that question.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Billy Carlson is the one guy. Yeah, I'd said the one guy in the entire system where it's like, he's not the one I'm moving, He's the one. He's so good defensive there should be so good defensively. He's the one I would potentially be moving other people for. I'm sorry, I should clarify when I say moving, I mean moving to a different position, not moving.
Speaker 1: To a different team.
Speaker 4: When it comes to trading him, I actually agree with Michael that he seems to be the odd man out. But to that point, the timing is what's interesting, because I wouldn't say you're selling low on him right now. He's having a fine season, even though it's been interrupted by injury, and he's back now of course, But I wouldn't be surprised if at this time next year, Billy Carlson is like, maybe not a Caleb Bonamer level prospect, but still viewed as a better prospect than he has now because the defense is what it is. But they've unlocked something with a swing by that he's seen as a more higher ceiling player than he was when he was drapped. I would not be surprised if that were the case, and then next year at the deadline or in the winter whenever it is, that's when you can really strike when the iron is hot and get something a lot better. That's just my two cents. I kind of believe in the idea that they will unlock something more with his bat because I have a lot of faith in the White soxs that in development these days, So I would be a little upset to trade him now, although I would understand it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the early signs with this bat, by the way, have been good. Like he struggled his first month of pro ball, but like after that, before the injury, he was really picking things up, and then he's actually been hitting really well since he got back from that injury. So like whatever adjustments they've already made with him, that's already panning out, and that's why he was a top ten pick was because he was probably imib ready defensively out of high school. That's how good he was with the glove. But he also does have legitimate upside at the plate, and they're already starting to unlock that. So I agree, like his air was pointing up and do you sell that now if he can get you a readebt rs, I'm open to that, but like you might get better value for him if you let him play a full season.
Speaker 2: First, I will kind of close my final thoughts here and then pass it back to Duke to bring us to a close here. This has, first of all, been an awesome episode. The chat you all have been incredible. Hopefully we got some most of your questions, a lot of comments coming in quite often nothing I have a concern with more with that obviously, just more so it's hard for me to keep track, so if I missed something, I apologize. The second thing I'll say is kind of my closing thoughts on this question as well as all of them. When we talk about the amount of shortstops that are in the White Sox system, I remember not too long ago when in the last rebuild they had too many outfielders for the spots and what are they going to do with all these guys? And none of them made it except for Robert. And that's where my opinion of if there are certain guys you can move, move them now when you've got this team where it is ahead of expectations. If you've got some pieces you can move, move them now, because you never know what a development looks like long term. Yes, the difference with infielders is a lot of times you can move them to the outfield and you're fine. That's why it's a little bit different. But we've been here before. I would love to see the White Sox kind of take what they've done a great job building and find ways to supplement it. Knowing that, Nick, to your point, I have faith in what this development team can do on the offensive side, especially Let's see if they can be advantageous with how they move some guys as well and keep others and continue to develop them. So but now, seriously, awesome stream with everyone who was in the chat. You guys were awesome back and forth. Like I said, I couldn't follow everything, but I appreciate everyone throwing their thoughts in and I hope we got to almost all of your questions and thanks to everyone who sent them in ahead of time as well. That was awesome too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before we close out, I just want to I want to do a shout out to my boy, are the one probably the one Socks on thirty fifth fan in Texas, Zach Hill, for sending me questions. Zach. As you've probably realized at this point, all your questions got answered because other people ended up asking them, but I wanted to shout you out because you're my boy. But anyway, No, seriously, everyone in the chat has been great. I got a lot of entertainment reading you guys go back and forth. There was a lot of really good, good ideas in here too. Never would have thought when we started this that we would have had a full blown center field discussion, which I actually really appreciate because it's been kind of keeping me up at night probably the last couple of months here. So yeah, always appreciated, always appreciate all the fans. But I think with that, ladies and gentlemen, that's all we have this week for the Socks on thirty fifth podcast. Also Joe did pop into the chat and say, Michael, this was your twenty sixth appearance on the podcast. I knew it was in the twenties, so apparently you can only make you can make a first impression twenty six times, so until with you, that'll be twenty seven. Be sure subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, and anywhere else to hear your podcast. Also sure check out the website sucks on thirty fifth dot com as while selling us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at socks on thirty fifty. Stay up to date with YO Chicago White Sox. This has been Duke Coughlin joined by Jordan Losowski, Nick Gower and Michael Sorrow. We'll be back as we cover another week of White Sox baseball. Uh, thank you and got socks and shout out to John Striffin your first calling, Uh, your call on Moon's first home run was fantastic.
Speaker 2: Go socks. Thank you boys, and thank you to the chat again and everyone who sent in questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, THO sucks the Socks