Speaker 1: Hey, y'all, Eve's here. I know you're ready to get into this episode, but really quick. We have been loving connecting with y'all over black storytelling, and if you've really been loving the show, then we would really appreciate it if you would leave us a rating and review, subscribe to the show, and share it with your friends. Thanks y'all. Now time for the episode. On theme is a production of iHeartRadio and fair Weather Friends Media. Okay, Katie, close your eyes. I want you to put yourself back in eighteen forty five of what.
Speaker 2: I know. But stay with me. Okay. Right, You're in Natchez, Mississippi.
Speaker 1: So you're right on the Mississippi River and it's the dead middle of summer, so you're practically melting. The smell of hot grass is floating in the air. The bugs are out and about, and the air is still like not a breezeen site.
Speaker 3: You are making me a cheat, I know.
Speaker 1: And to add insult to injury, you're on the Mailrose Plantation. Well, to be specific, you're in the dining room of the main house.
Speaker 2: You're enslavers.
Speaker 1: The hert sogs are having lunch with a few visitors. They're laughing sharing stories, and your friends, who are also enslaved, are entering the dining room. Occasionally they're dressed up in fancy clothes and they're serving the visitors, and you're enslavers elaborate meals. You know, the hert sogs have to show off how wealthy and uppity they are to their esteemed guests.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, hurts ofs go off.
Speaker 1: So they're stuffing their faces to their hearts content. But you, on the other hand, you can feel hunger rising from the pit of your stomach, and like your friends, you are working. You're operating the punka, which is a large ornate wooden fan that hangs from the ceiling in the middle of the room, and you're sweating as you use both hands to pull the cord to the punka, but you have no choice. The fan swings back and forth, keeping the dinner guests cool and keeping flies away from the food. You're struggling, okay, but nobody's paying you any attention anyway. It's a task that makes you miserable. But there is one upside. You get to hear everything. The happy chatty diners are saying, I'm Katie and I'm Eves today's episode minding their business, So being nosy can be frowned upon. Sometimes being a nosy neighbor is not seen as a good thing. Black folks say they like to mind their business and don't want others and theirs. But you know, sometimes it campaign to be intensely observant, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But you know I keep my ears to the streets.
Speaker 2: Do you are you a nosy person?
Speaker 1: Girl?
Speaker 3: If you look up nosy picture right there, there's me first definition.
Speaker 1: So why do you hold being nosy in such high esteem?
Speaker 3: Seemingly well, I feel like when you're really observant, you be peeping shit like way before other people keep it like people peep it, but they people too late. And you're like, I been dow that, I've been knew that by him. You're not surpriseding me. You think you got some tea. This is some cold tea.
Speaker 2: You're like, I already knew because I've been watching it.
Speaker 3: I've been watching it. I just been you know. Oh, you might not say nothing at first, but you just keep it in your back pocket for a rainy day.
Speaker 2: I feel you. So, do you remember those punka fans we talked about.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, you just had me operating them, sweetie fair.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry I had to take you there. But those were installed in some Antebellum plantation homes in the South in the eighteen hundreds. Were they a common thing, Well, punkahs weren't in every home, but they weren't in many upper class white homes. People had to be able to afford them to have them made, and because they had to be manually operated, they had to have enough slaves to be able to put someone on that very specific tedious task.
Speaker 3: So having a punkah and having someone to operate it could be like a status symbol of sorts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and even more than that, it was an ostentatious display of wealth. In some instances, the person operating the fan would be in a back room, hidden away from the visitors who were there. The visitors would get their air and enjoy their meal without being burdened by having to see the slave working while they ate because God forbid. Okay, But most of the time with punkas, the slaves were right there in plain sight.
Speaker 2: On purpose.
Speaker 1: Enslavers wanted their guests to see the kinds of luxuries that they could afford. They wanted to draw attention to their custom punkahs and their frivolous use of laborers. But the silver lining to this grueling job was proximity. Enslaved people would have access to the conversations that white folks were having over their meals.
Speaker 2: That meant that.
Speaker 1: Slaves could reflect that surveillance and exploitation that the elites had subjected them to.
Speaker 3: So they took advantage of a bad situation with a little espionage, a little intelligence gathering, if you will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they did this in a couple of ways. They used that time to gain insight on how the elite moved, spoke, and behaved. So, like you were talking about being nosy, you get a little extra information and you can use it in your favor.
Speaker 2: They did that.
Speaker 1: But when the conversations got a little bit more interesting, slaves could pick up on information about events happening in their communities and around the world. Doctor Dana E. Bird talks about this in her twenty sixteen essay Mode of Power, Fans, Punkahs, and fly Brushes in the Antebellum South. In the essay, she points to a quote from Booker T. Washington's in nineteen oh one autobiography, when I had grown to sufficient size. I was required to go to the Big House at meal times to fan the flies from the table by means of a large set of paper fans operated by a pulley. Naturally, much of the conversation of white people turned upon the subject of freedom and the war, and I absorbed a.
Speaker 2: Good deal of it.
Speaker 1: Washington doesn't talk about what he learned or what he did with the information, but this shows that he did retain information that he gathered while working the fans. Punkahs were away in so while the white folks were care free and loose with information, slaves were attentive in steadfast about taking what they needed from the situation.
Speaker 3: I'm really intrigued by the foolishness of white people, Like I don't know, it's it's not like you like trusted the people you're enslaving, But maybe you just thought they were like so dumb or just like so loyal to you or something. I don't know. Like me, if I'm oppressing somebody all day, every day, twenty four or seven, why I'm not gonna have them cooking my food, right, And I'm not going to have them sit there while I'm just talking, you know. But they did, and they saw it as a flex I'm very intrigued by that, like what was going on in that head? But I mean, you have to be like sick in the head to even enslaved people. So maybe it's just like, yeah, it's normal. I guess yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they saw that people were still being enslaved, they saw that slavery was still a very widespread practice, and they were like, this is working. So I guess I have complete and total control over their minds. I'm controlling everything they do on a every day basis. So I guess there are still people to this day who think that people enjoyed their slavery, like they were happy be to be enslaved.
Speaker 3: Giving them meals and.
Speaker 2: Right, they were fine, they weren't.
Speaker 1: They exaggerate all of these instances of a severe torture that they're showing and trying to depict in like movies and the expressions of slavery today. So I would imagine that back then too, that was amplified even more so. The cognitive dissonance that was happening for them was probably very strong, sure, and had to exist for them to keep enslaving people in the first place and doing things like cooking, letting them cook for them. So I don't know, girl, do I even want to dig that deeply into that kind of psyche?
Speaker 3: Do we want to do that I already had to put maybe someone else that's their ministry. Maybe so.
Speaker 1: But I also think it's like fascinating, and doctor Bird talks about this and her work just how there was so much to this thing that was just an architectural future of the home. Like there's class implications of it from simply the white elite standpoint, because it's not like.
Speaker 2: All white people had it.
Speaker 1: I mean there were also class implications and quote unquote owning slaves too, so that was part a factor in it. But there's this separate history of the punkahs themselves being constructed in different ways based on what somebody's class was. So sometimes people would use this really nice, expensive mahogany wood and sometimes they would use wallpaper, for instance, to create these kinds of fans. So even the fans themselves were able to symbolize different levels of wealth and class status. On top of the fact of like what kind of presence the slave had there, Like was it enslave person in the room with them, or were they not in the room with them. And also there were people who acted as fans. So there's a layer of remove when you're thinking about the punk of fans, because there is a human who has to pull the cord there to make the fan move. But then there were other people who used large feathers to just fan over the food when people didn't have punka fans, and that person would sit in a swing above the table, taking that feather and moving it back and forth in order to keep the flies away from the food.
Speaker 3: Is that what Berker T Washington was referred to or was he doing the punk of fans?
Speaker 1: I think he was doing the punk of fans by the way that he described it. Operated by a pulley. Yes, operated by a pulley, and that's what they were. There were police, there were different kinds of pulleys. Sometimes they were chained. Sometimes there were records. If you look at the pictures and the descriptions which slave narratives, there are descriptions of punkahs and of people doing the fanning. And there was one slave narrative. I can't remember who the enslaved person was who told this narrative. I'm sure it was a common occurrence. They were talking about how when they would use these large feather fans. What he said in the narrative was like, if I wasn't minding my business, then this large feather that I was fanning over the people might end up dipping into their food.
Speaker 2: If I was like falling asleep, or.
Speaker 1: I wasn't being attentive enough, if I wasn't minding my business, then they would be like, what you're doing, Yeah, get on your job.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they wouldn't say it that nicely.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: So we know that covert communication was one way that enslaved people planned escapes and resistance efforts. Written and verbal communication were encrypted. One kind of covert communication that many people are probably familiar with is song. A song's tempo and lyrics could have hidden meanings, providing refugee slaves with instructions as they made their way to freedom. For instance, runaways traveling on the underground railroad were called passengers, and safe houses were called stations, and sometimes enslaved people opted to change the language all together. For example, people could speak Creole with one another and pass along important information right under enslaver's noses. Messages were also hidden in quilts and in riddles, and of course spying was one way that black folks gathered valuable intail. So think of Harriet Tubman. Okay, we've heard of Harriet Tubman, the spy. We know that that's one thing that she did. She got information from enslaved people about Confederate maneuvers, and then she took that intelligence to union forces. And that begs the question, how did those enslaved people get that information easdrop it?
Speaker 2: Yes, so it's not.
Speaker 1: Like Confederate soldiers were sharing this information with slaves intentionally and freely. Enslaved people were just present and they were listening. Evesdropping was such a simple form of resistance, but it was powerful and subversive. White folks desire to keep their servants close could end up being the reason for their downfall. Even when they were quiet, Enslaved people were not just silent and submissive. Evesdropping was a form of indirect resistance. The enslaved people and the enslavers still went about their day to day big business in the meantime. The work didn't topple the institution of slavery, but slaves shared the information that they gleaned while they worked, and this could help make their lives easier under the horrible and oppressive circumstances. It could also just help keep them more informed. So did the enslavers just have loose lips? You would think they would try to make sure our folks wasn't getting their sensitive information. They did try to guard information a lot of the time. They were careful about how much they said around their slaves. But imagine how isolated enslaved people were on plantations. It was hard for them to learn what was going on outside the very small bubble they were given access to, so they were motivated to get news about their communities and the world beyond. In an interview for the Federal Writers Project of the Works Progress Administration, a former slave named Benjamin Russell said the following, how did we get news? Many plantations were strict about this, But the greater the precaution, the alerter became the slaves, the wider they opened their ears, and the more eager they became for outside information. The sources were girls that waited on the tables, the ladies, maids, and the drivers. They would pick up everything they heard and pass it on to the other slaves. News already took a while to travel for free folks, so it could be really delayed in getting to enslaved people, if it ever did at all. This was the case with news about the Civil War. Many enslaved people couldn't read and had to get news about the war through word of mouth. A lot of enslavers didn't want them talking about the war in the first place, and if they did share news, it was actually propaganda.
Speaker 3: But the outcome of the Civil War would determine the course of their lives, so slaves had to be eager to get the real facts, and.
Speaker 2: They were so.
Speaker 1: Some of the people who were around for their enslavers' private conversations kept their ears open when they were in the Big House and on the plantation grounds. Here's what a former slave named Elizabeth Russell said. I was very small at the time of the Civil War, yet I served my people as a secret service agent. I was kept in the Big House during the day to rock and attend the babies, and I would often pretend to be asleep and hear the folk at the Big House were saying about the battles and which side was winning or losing. And when the word came that the North had won and the slaves were free. It was I who carried the word to the hundreds of slaves in our section, having crawled to my mother's cabin to give the news. And though only a little child, God used me as a bearer of good news to my people.
Speaker 3: That's a word. She had a testimony. She did.
Speaker 2: She had a testimony.
Speaker 1: And it was often the case that it was women who ended up in these roles of being the people who were around for conversations because of the kinds of jobs that they were doing that they were in these more I guess, intimate roles where they're around for us. These conversations that were supposed to just be between two people are supposed to be smaller conversations, and they were able to listen. They were in these servant roles where they could linger a little longer and it wouldn't look suspicious or even pretend to be sleep exactly. You know, they love to use that as a plot point in a movie or a TV show. Have one eye open.
Speaker 3: Also, I feel like Elizabeth quote really kind of dispelled the notion that there was like beef between the house slaves and the field slaves, and house slaves thought they were so much better and were really in allegiance with white people because maybe they was half white or whatever, like they were getting the intel and tipping back out and telling everybody what was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She also talks about how young she was and how she was already thinking about the ways that she could offer resistance in the ways that was available to her. And I think that is one of the things about eavesdropping, is how democratized it could be. You know, no matter how young you are. Yeah, everybody knows.
Speaker 3: Probably the younger you are, the more things people say around you, because I think you don't understand.
Speaker 1: Probably so, And I do wonder how you know, somebody might be more want to trust a woman in terms of, like today committing a crime, like you wouldn't necessarily suspect somebody of some sort of a woman of a violent crime, so it's easier for them to get away with it if it was like that in a gendered way when it came to eavesdropping as well, I don't know. And so there was also the fact that a lot of enslaved people couldn't read and they couldn't write, but there was information that was being passed along through written notes. A lot of the time so sometimes what would happen is they would gather info. Even though they couldn't read the info that was written, they would still, like when somebody was writing, when they were talking about it, they could pick up on info about that note in that moment or when it was being read to the person who picked up that note. So they found ways around their inability to read and are write. And because the enslavers knew that enslaved people couldn't read or write, they would try to find their own ways around that through covert messaging, so that when the enslavers were mindful, like hey, I don't want the slaves to hear this, they would sometimes try to do things like spell out the messages that they were giving people, like physically spell letter by letter what they were saying, and they'll be like, oh, you know, the slave isn't going to understand that they can't write, they don't understand how to spell. But then they would remember what they spelled and take it to somebody else who could translate that for them, right, so they could still understand the message and pass it along if they wanted to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what you doing a little kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they probably be looking at you like, I know what you're doing. I'd also think that makes it more clear that whatever you're saying is something that I need to.
Speaker 3: Know, right, Because if you would have just said it and kind of like it wasn't a big deal, maybe I wouldn't have picked up on it. But now you spell and stuff, right, I'm a peep.
Speaker 2: Right now, I know something's going on.
Speaker 1: More on eavesdropping after the break the Civil War was a critical point for black people. Their futures in the United States hung in the balance, so it makes sense that black folks employed eavesdropping as a strategy for survival. But in general, these oral and oral networks that enslaved people relied on were crucial communication lines. The intelligence that people gathered through evesdropping was funneled right into these networks, and this made important information accessible to a population of people who could not read but were orally literate.
Speaker 3: In a way, it seems like slaves weaponized a simple act of flicity.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good way to put it, because they turned an unassuming act into a tool of resistance and up from slavery.
Speaker 2: Booker T.
Speaker 1: Washington refers to the network that black folks used to stay informed as the grapevine telegraph, and he talks about how powerful it was and how it could work so fast that slaves knew the results of battles before white people did. In a story he tells, Washington talks about how a black man was sent to the post office a few miles away from the plantation once or twice a week.
Speaker 2: The man who was sent to the.
Speaker 1: Office would linger about the place long enough to get the drift of the conversation from the group of white people who naturally congregated there after receiving their mail to discuss the latest news. The mail carrier, on his way back to our master's house would as naturally retail the news that he had secured among the slaves, and in this way they often heard of important events before the white people at the Big House, as the master's house was called.
Speaker 3: It seems like a fool proof method of knowledge sharing. I know there was some risk involved, but I'd acted eavesdrop. It was a part of daily life. Yeah, black folks had to find ways to educate them. White folks were constantly trying to find ways to restrict and falsify information to keep black people ignorant. But like if you can't read or write and your enslavers aren't telling you anything, what are your options?
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, let me tell you about John Quincy Adams. And no, I'm not talking about the president. I'm talking about a man who was enslaved in Virginia and escaped slavery during the Civil War. He wrote about his life in a book that was published in eighteen seventy two. John couldn't read and write when he was young, but when he heard white folks saying they didn't want black people to learn to read and write, he figured it must be worth learning. He would linger when he heard someone reading, and when they asked him what he was doing, he would say nothing. But of course he would relay what he learned to his parents. And since eavesdropping was a resistance tactic that everybody had the means to do, his mom and dad told him, try to hear all you can, but don't let them know it. So the thing that I love about evesdropping is it feels like a game of telephone, where one person learns a thing and then it's able. Not telephone in the instance is where the message gets changed, but just in the instance in which you can pass information along from one person into the next and to the next, and then it becomes something that everybody knows, something.
Speaker 2: That everybody is aware of.
Speaker 1: And it can be for very small, menial things that just make life a little bit better or make people more informed, or it can be for these bigger things.
Speaker 2: It's about the Civil War.
Speaker 1: A lot of the instances that I could find of eavesdropping is where people were talking about what news got passed on of the Civil War. So obviously this act of eavesdropping would be amplified in a time of such heavy conflict that would impact everybody's lives in such a big way. I think when we think about June teenth, we think about how long it took for news to get to Texas, And this is part of the conversation that every body has when we talk about Juneteenth. But that was one of a million, billion, trillion instances of news getting to enslave people slowly that happened so many times before then, and and things not related to the Civil War or to emancipation, And it just feels like there's a level of control and power that enslaved people were able to take back in a way that that was available to them. They were orally literate, so they use what they could. They were like, I can't read and I can't write, but I know the things that I do have, and I know the power that I do have, And they took that into their own hands. They capitalized on that to be able to make their lives better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I imagine on the flip side, since they were so versed in eavesdropping, they made sure like if an overseer was around, or even if like the white little kids playing with the black little kids when they were allowed to still play with each other, they knew like, okay, how we be eas dropping on them. Let's make sure we don't say nothing around them that they could use against us.
Speaker 1: Right right, And that's where the acts of covert communication and language comes in. They were like, I'm gonna learn from the fact that these people are saying too much around me, like I know what I don't need to be saying around them. And the irony in that is that, like, you know, enslaved people could speak the same language as them, but we were able to form our own languages at the same time that they couldn't understand.
Speaker 3: After they took away their original languages, right.
Speaker 1: So I think that it just seems like such a small act that compounded over time because so many different people were doing it in purposes that even though it wasn't something that like immediately emancipated them, or it wasn't something that necessarily killed their enslavers, it wasn't those kinds of acts. But there are places for all these kinds of acts, for the indirect action, for the direct action that was happening. Eavesdropping didn't exist in a vacuum. It wasn't in its own container. There were other people who were taking up arms, and there were other people who were forming rebellions.
Speaker 2: There were people who were maroons. They were all different.
Speaker 1: Kinds poisoning people exactly. And there were all these other indirect tactics as well, like when the enslaved people would pit enslavers against one another, kind of like you know reality TV conflict of making people distrustful of other people, are implanting false information with people to invite more conflict into the situation. There were all kinds of smaller things that happen on a day to day basis. Of course, it was still a horrible situation. They were still enslaved, but ameliorate some of the suffering that they were enduring.
Speaker 3: Now it is time for roll credits, the segment where we give credit to a person, place, or think eves who are what would you like to give credit to?
Speaker 1: I would like to give credit to honeysuckle this week because I have been seeing and smelling a lot of honeysuckle around and there is some that is growing very close to where I live, and I plan on going and gathering some.
Speaker 2: And then making some tea with it.
Speaker 1: But I just have fond memories of honeysuckle because I used to just eat it off the bush when I was young, and we had some in our neighborhood, and my sister and I would take some off the bush and we would eat it, and there's nostalgia that's associated with it.
Speaker 2: To me, what do you give credit to today?
Speaker 3: I would like to give credit to being influenced. I feel like everyone be like I'm above the influence. I'm impervious to advertisements and everything else. But I think it's nice when you're like influenced to do something nice that you really wasn't gonna do. I met this lady and she had hit me up really out of the blue, like, oh, I have some bugs, Like, can you take them from my house? A older woman. So I went to her house and I was just like, oh, I like your plant and she's like thanks, and it was a big plant. And when I was living, She's like, oh, here take this, and it was like she's giving me this big plant that like if you bought a food story, it'd be like hundreds of dollars. And I was like, what's that's crazy? But I was like, oh yeah, like I should do that when people like show interest in plants, like I have a lot of plants, like more than I need, Like I should, you know, be more generous. So after meeting up with her, I'll try to give people place if they want them. A lot of people be like, girl, I want that shit. But I was like, mister Rose, you really influenced me to be nicer. So I would like to give credit to you. It's Rose and to be influenced to be better. That's nice And we'll see y'all next week.
Speaker 2: Bye y'all.
Speaker 1: On Theme is a production of iHeartRadio and Fairweather Friends Media. This episode was written by Eves Jeffco and Katie Mitchell. It was edited and produced by Tari Harrison. Follow us on Instagram at on Theme Show. You can also send us an email at hello at on Theme dot Show. Head to on Theme Dot Show to check out the show notes for episodes. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows