Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Overland Journal Podcast. I am your host, Scott Brady, and I am here with the Overland Collective's head marketing man, so he is the director the highest level of marketing within the Overland Collective. But you've been in the industry a long time, you really care about what we do with Overland Journal. You really have done so much good to help us reinforce the brand of Overland Journal. So for me, I'm really grateful that you're on the podcast because you understand what we're trying to accomplish, which is genuine travel around the world, tell great stories, maintain editorial integrity, and you've spent a lot of time in the marketing world. So we're going to talk about where the Overland Journal podcast came from, why we do it, why it's important to us as a business, and the ways that you're helping us to grow the.
Speaker 2: Podcast as well.
Speaker 1: We'll talk a little bit about the gear that we use to record the podcast, and we've also got some folks here that are getting ready to take their grenadier to distant lands around the world.
Speaker 2: So we're going to answer a question of theirs and.
Speaker 1: A special thanks to Nitto Tire for supporting this week's podcast. The Terrain Grappler G three is the third generation of one of Overlanding's most trusted all terrain tires. A new compound and tread pattern delivers improved wet traction and a three peak mountain snowflake certification. Improved uniformity reduces road noise while still ensuring performance on the road and in the backcountry and for even bigger news. The G three is now available in up to thirty seven inch sizes, but my personal favorite is the new two thirteen that I'm testing on my Quartermaster. This is the first all terrain available in that size, and since payload matters, the G three is lighter than most competitive all terrains. Niddo backs the G three with their best treadwear warranty ever that means seventy thousand miles for hard metric sizes and fifty five thousand miles for LT and flotation. For more information, visit nidotire dot com.
Speaker 2: Thanks Niddo.
Speaker 1: Caroline and Steven are with us here in the Overland Journal tent at the Overland Expo. This is the Flagstaff Event. This is their flagship event that they do every year and we're recording this live because we want to talk a little bit about where the podcast came from and why it's all about. But what it is all about is folks like you. I got to meet both of you two years ago. You were asking me questions about the Grenadier. We had a long conversation, so you ended up buying a Grenadier, and now you're looking for ideas of shipping it to Australia.
Speaker 2: Is at the case and you.
Speaker 1: Want to go to Australia first and then Africa. It might be a little bit easier actually to go to Australia first, So I'll give you guys some things to think about. Australia is actually the most difficult of the continents of the countries in the world that we normally overland to to bring a vehicle in because of their agricultural and quarantine requirements. So the most important thing that you can do is to work with a customs agent that will help you import the vehicle. And these custom agents are bonded and ensured by their quarantine division to be able to perform these inspections when the car comes in. So, for example, when I had driven across Russia all the way to this little place called Magadan on the end of the road to Bones, which was the dirtiest, dustiest, muddiest road you could possibly drive in the world, and we get to the end of it. Now I've got to ship these cars to Australia and hopefully get them through quarantine. The cool thing about using a customs broker like that is if it fails a quarantine inspection, they can clean it within their quarantine area and then reinspect it the next day. If you try to bring the car in yourself and it fails inspection, it is a mandatory fourteen day quarantine. So imagine how much money you can spend in fourteen days in a hotel waiting for your car to come out.
Speaker 2: So you're going to really.
Speaker 1: Want to focus on using one of those customs brokers to help you through that process, and then they can recheck the car every day after if it's necessary. And when we brought those cars in from Russia to of the land Cruisers, it.
Speaker 2: Failed the inspection. On the first day.
Speaker 1: They found out where the problems were, which was actually in the winch line. There was some debris that had been wound up in the winchline, so the rest of the car was perfectly cleaned. It had been properly detailed. But when the inspection agent, which familiar with world drives, he pulls out the winchline and out comes all this dirt and debris and stuff, and it failed. So they had to take the winchlines off, clean them, properly, reinstall the winchlines, and then we were able to import the vehicle. Now, where you import the vehicle within the country will also affect the modifications that you can perform to the car and still allow it to be imported. So if you plan on lifting the vehicle more than about fifty millimeters or going more than plus one or plus two on the tire size, you're going to want to make sure you bring it into what's called Queensland. You guys may be familiar with that. That's a great place to import the car into Australia because they have some of the more relaxed vehicle requirements around lift and weight and everything else like that. But it's very common now in Australia for them to check the vehicle weight, the curb weight against the gross vehicle weight. Australians are one of the most strict in the world around driving a vehicle around the country if it is over a gross vehicle weight, So we want to make sure that the car without you in it, without your personal effects, weighs less than the gross vehicle weight of the Grenadier rating. Fortunately, the Grenadier has a big payload, so it's pretty hard to get that over weight unless you're adding some gold bullyon.
Speaker 2: In or something like that.
Speaker 1: But Queensland would be a great place to bring it in that you have to take it from the port. You're going to be given a pass from the port to the local police station and they're going to check your safety devices on the car. That's where they may do that gross vehicle weight check, but they're also going to check your turn signals, your indicators, your hazards, your seat belt functions, that all of your headlights are functioning properly. They're going to look at all of that stuff and then they're going to give you a temporary pass to drive it around the country. And once you've got it into any of the they're not states, the provinces of Australia. Once you've got the vehicle in then you can go anywhere you want in the country. So that's going to be an amazing trip. I think it would be a lot harder to go from Africa to Australia because the quarantine requirements.
Speaker 2: So RU also.
Speaker 1: Fantastic and Cape York I only did for the first time last year, and I went all the way up to tell the old telegraph track all the way up to the tip, the northernmost point in Australia. And you guys have the snorkel on your Yeah, make sure that you not only have the snorkel, but that someone's gone through and really checked all of the seals. That was the deepest water crossings that I've ever done on a trip. The water was so deep that I was looking through the windshield under the water in that seventy series land because fortunately it was very brief that I was that deep, but the winch wipers are going back and forth and I was under the water.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe had.
Speaker 1: Four or five inches left on the snorkel and then it popped back out of the hole. So you want to make sure that snorkel is functioning properly. But what an incredible road. It's a real challenge, real fun challenge for sure. And then the canning Stock route, because yours is a gas model is oh you bought it somewhere else, got it in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 1: So the nice thing about the diesel is you should be able to make it to the basically the midway point of the Canningsock route, which is called ken Oorwachie. It's an Aboriginal small little village, but that's about halfway through that eighteen hundred kilometer trail.
Speaker 2: And they have fuel. It used to be that you had.
Speaker 1: To pre order and pre buy the fuel and have them stage. Have you done that route before at the Canningstot route.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, you're gonna love it. You're gonna love it. You're gonna love it.
Speaker 1: It was one of the most incredible places that I've ever seen in the world because you're so remote for so long, you drive for ten We did it in almost ten days, but some people take two three four weeks to do it.
Speaker 2: And you just can't get.
Speaker 1: That remote anywhere in the world, and there's no services. You're on a two track in the middle of nowhere. The history of that route is incredible. So, yeah, you guys all have a wonderful time. Yeah, you have to keep please keep me up to date. And then we can let the listeners know know how your journey's going. And then you're gonna ship to Cape Town you think from there, or Durban maybe all of those places that you mentioned. So Namibi a, Botswana, South Africa. Of course, getting up into Zambia, you're spending some time in lsuit To, which is the mountain Kingdom of Africa, where you're at nine thousand feet driving your Grenadier Sauny passes famous beautiful road with switchbacks, getting up to the highest pub in Africa so important, Yeah, which is important. You gotta have you gotta have a beer at the highest pub in Africa. And then one place I'll have you guys right down on your planning list. But when you go into Botswana from South Africa, you're going to come through the Johannesburg area and start working your way up to Botswana. You're going to go into southern Botswana and it's called the Kama Rhino Reserve k hm A I believe, and it's the it's a rhino reserve that you can camp in a amongst the rhinos and it's absolutely incredible. So you can and you can self drive, yeah, and you can self drive. So you've got a little campsite and you're gonna go self, drive out in your own grenadier, and it'll be the sun will be setting and the rhinos will be back lit and they'll be dust in the air.
Speaker 2: And if you're lucky, you'll see some baby rhinos.
Speaker 3: But rhinos are just chilling.
Speaker 2: They're just chill, just not trying to kill you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, they they give that off.
Speaker 2: They do give that vibe their nature's tank for sure, for sure. So the Comma Rhino Reserve do that.
Speaker 1: And of course you're gonna want to get up into the Oak of Bonga Delta there and please reach out. I'll give you guys all my tracks so that way you can do that route, and then from there would be easy to get over into the Caprivi Strip of Namibia, maybe even tip your toes into Angola, which I'd recommend, it's incredible deserts, and then from there you can be down into vent.
Speaker 2: Hook State, a great hotel, have some great food.
Speaker 1: And then you'll be back in South Africa before you know it. Thank you guys for being here and for always checking in. It's always nice to see your faces. Glad to hear that your adventure is still in the planning stages, and you guys are going to head out. So next time I see you, hopefully you're giving me the updates and all the places that you've been.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, yeah, thank you? All right.
Speaker 1: So, anybody else in the audience have some questions for us on the podcast?
Speaker 4: What do you love about the Overland Journal podcast?
Speaker 2: So the question is what do I love about the Overland Journal podcast? In particular?
Speaker 1: I will say that this is the part of my job that I love the most. It's the thing that I do on a weekly or sometimes daily basis that brings me the most joy in my work.
Speaker 2: I would do it for free.
Speaker 1: I would pay to be able to do it because I get to meet people like these folks that are here in this tent with me that are looking to go see the world. Or I get to interview people who have gone and seen the world and it's not only changed them, it's changed their family, it's changed their outlook on life, on their profession. Many of them have created professions from it. So for me, it's incredibly inspiring to be able to sit across from someone who has explored some amazing part of the world and just see how it's changed them because I know how travels changed me in ways that I would have never expected. So it's incredibly humbling, and it's an important reminder for me on an almost daily basis that there's so much more of the world to see. Even though I've seen a little bit of it, there's so much more to see. So yeah, that's why I do it.
Speaker 4: You always, whether we're in person talking to people, or you're on the podcast or whatever, you always open yourself up to questions and give your email address.
Speaker 2: You're very open about all that.
Speaker 3: Do people take advantage of that?
Speaker 2: They do, actually quite often.
Speaker 1: Probably the most common way that people reach out to me is through direct message on Instagram. I think it's because a lot of travelers are just on Instagram, So if you want to reach out, it's Scott dot a dot Brady on Instagram, or if you go onto the expedition portal or the overline journal Instagram, those messages could get forwarded to me there as well. But people do reach out all the time. I would say about half the time it's something technical about the vehicle or question about a vehicle because it's such a big investment, and the other half the time is they're getting ready, like these folks, is I'm going to go drive the canting stock route and what do I what.
Speaker 2: A couple things that I really need to know. But they do reach out, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 3: If you had any relationships that have developed out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely long friendships. I'm just I'm so fortunate that people are willing to reach out and then so then I get to meet them here at an event, which is which is so cool to be able to interact with someone that has had a life changing experience, and then I get to see them in person and you get to really learn about their life.
Speaker 2: So it's good.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they end up on the podcast. Yeah, how often has that happen? I would say, spot no, No, that's good. I would say that those a trial like these folks here have traveled a lot in their life. I remember in having conference conversations with you about that. But what she said is that it just opened them both up. It made them more open minded, more accepting, And I think that's the important thing. Is when we live in our little town, you hang out with the same people a lot of times, you believe the same things, you support the same sports team or whatever else. But to be in Spain at the World Cup, you don't really speak the language, but the energy of a place like that when they're celebrating their team, it's absolutely intoxicating. So I think that's a big piece of it, is being open to experiencing new cultures. Andy, who's in the tent here with us right now, we were traveling through Mauritania together, and both of us I've traveled a fair bit in my life, and it was Andy's first time into Africa, and we were both having an incredible moment in this historic Saharan village of Chingueti, which was at the start of the trans Sahara. It was where they would get their last supplies, and sometimes they were so heavily loaded that they would actually unload their books in these libraries at ching Weddy and some of these books have been there for nearly a thousand years, so it was such an incredible experience.
Speaker 2: So it changes us a lot. Travel definitely changes us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know you've kind of a common thread I think between you and I've Ashley talked about it on the podcast too. It is just getting out of your own head and getting out of the news cycle. There's obviously positives to free press and media, but also there's some pitfalls to listening to media too much and not just getting out there and experiencing it. But is there any notable places that maybe you've talked about or haven't talked about recently.
Speaker 3: Or haven't talked about that really changed your mind.
Speaker 4: I've been talking about how this is unsafe or scary or be careful of going there, and you went you were like dot it all.
Speaker 1: That's an important point and I appreciate you asking the question, because universally throughout the world, people are good. Yeah, there's going to be a small percentage of people in any country, including the United States or probably not New Zealand, but maybe even New Zealand, there's gonna be a percentage people.
Speaker 2: Who were bad people.
Speaker 1: But universally, the governments are going to be screwed up to some degree, maybe not New Zealand, but generally governments are screwed up, and generally people are really great. So for example, just when I was driving down West Africa, I went into countries that people would be terrified to travel to, like Nigeria or Cameroon, but these were the most warm and hospitable and supportive people. They're fascinated that we want to come see their country, and they're proud of their country, so of course they want to.
Speaker 2: Show us a great time.
Speaker 1: And we'd come to these military checkpoints in Nigeria and all the soldiers would like they'd salute us because they thought it was so cool that Americans were coming to see their country. So I would say that if you want to know how a place is, go to a first person account that's fairly recent.
Speaker 2: This is just good travel advice.
Speaker 1: So if you want to go to drive the Canning Stock, I can be helpful, but it's been quite a few years since I drove it. The best thing that you can do is find someone who drove it last season or earlier on in the season, or even better person coming from the other direction, because that power of recent and local knowledge is incredibly informative.
Speaker 2: So that what you don't want to.
Speaker 1: Do is ask your great aunt if you should go to Nigeria, because she's probably gonna say no because she doesn't know anything about it and it seems like a scary place that she's seen on TV is a scary place unless she's a big traveler. But in general, you want to take travel advice from someone who's very recently been in the country.
Speaker 4: Let's throw it back a little bit. Yeah, let's throw it back to nowhere. We're kind of talking about podcasting in general. What made you want to start the podcast, what was the impetus for it? And then would when did you realize that it was going to be quite successful to start? Obviously much more successful now, but I'm assuming after episodes one and two years, is this going to work?
Speaker 3: Can I make this happens?
Speaker 1: It's interesting it I have always enjoyed podcasts, and the podcast that I listened to the most before I started this one. It's run by a guy by the name of Tim Ferriss. He's one of the more popular podcasts, but he's just a really yeah and he's a traveler. He's like, he's into life hack and business stuff and travel and also remote travel and he's had some really fantastic guests on his podcast about travel. But that was my favorite podcast and I listened to it all the time, and I realized that we interact with so many incredible people through Overland Journal. We get to we have interviews that we conducted in print, so we have this opportunity to meet all these incredible folks that have been around the world, and I thought it's a healthy medium for us to add. Now I'll dig into the weeds a little bit. From the business perspective, one of the things that I've always been really careful of is not having some degree of ownership over the platform. So I've always been really careful of focusing too much on social media, because what happens if Instagram is no longer the big thing and something else is Yeah, and you've invested all of this energy in their expedition portal we started with, and we had the website.
Speaker 2: We had control over the website. We could make sure.
Speaker 1: That the content that went on there was family friendly and there was a degree of editorial integrity and all this other stuff.
Speaker 2: Same with the magazine.
Speaker 1: We could make it ourselves, we could find the right people, we could make sure that the content was at the level of quality that was important to us, and then we could have a relationship with the customer, directly to the customer.
Speaker 2: And so the podcast was the last.
Speaker 1: Medium that we could do that yeah, where we weren't beholden the YouTube or social media or anything else. We could have our own podcast feed and we could deliver it directly to our audience. So it was Tim Ferriss and his great job that he did that inspired me to try my own, and then there was a good business case for it. And oh, here's another thing that's cool about podcasts related to overlanding. It's the one form of medium that every overlander can consume. So if you're on like Tavia who's in the tent with us, she can be on our motorcycle listening to a podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Whereas like when you're driving a car, it's hard to read a magazine, maybe it's even maybe more difficult to watch a video. But when we're doing the thing, when we're doing overlanding, we can all be consuming a podcast.
Speaker 2: So to me it was also like, oh, that's a great fit to what we do.
Speaker 1: The main way that I consume podcasts in the car, Yeah, like during your commute or wet or once the kids go to bed.
Speaker 3: I turned a podcasts on Google Home while I'm doing dishes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do it.
Speaker 1: While while I'm in the shop working on the cars, I listen to a podcast, and I try to listen to podcasts all the time, or I like audio books a lot too, But.
Speaker 2: I like that medium.
Speaker 1: It helps me consume a lot more content because I'm always driving somewhere, so it really helps. And I think we knew it was successful when we were able when we would reach out to somebody who was really important for us to interview. Like Tom Shepherd comes to mind, who's really like the godfather of overlanding as we know it out of he did some incredible stuff with the Royal Geographical Society, and when he finally agreed to do the podcast, I was like, we've made we'd met because he said no for many years because but he realized it was a great way to tell his story. So that was when we realized, like someone like Eva Zubec wants to be on the podcast, people that like Clay and Rachelle for years they would be on the podcast because it was beneficial to them, And now we get to all do it together.
Speaker 3: Who's saying no to you right now? Who has spent saying no consistently?
Speaker 2: Chris Scott.
Speaker 1: Chris Scott, Yeah, we need to We need to get Chris Scott on. He's another og overlander, very inspirational to my early travels. He is a minimalist traveler. He's the kind of guy who will buy a Honda six hundred dirt bike, throw some soft bags on the side, and go travel through North Africa for three months. So for him, it's about going and doing the thing, and people like that are really inspiring to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw how quickly you set this up, so it's probably to answer my question.
Speaker 3: But you also record podcasts from a vehicle off row we do anywhere across the world. How hard is that to set up?
Speaker 1: So we have two different ways that we record the podcast. Right now, we're recording onto a Zoom microphone. This was actually recommended by Andy who's here in the tent. This is what they use at Xoverland for all their podcasts, so I'm like, I should probably buy that same unit for the field. And then we use Lavalier mics because they're a lot more compact to travel with, so I can actually bring this kit with me on my motorcycle.
Speaker 2: It's small enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I'll normally record video on a DGI Osmo, which is their little balanced head camera shoots in four K and we can shoot a wide enough that we can make it work off of one camera angle in the field. Right now, we're shooting on some fancy contraption that Andy is set up, so it'll probably make me look a little bit less of a face for radio goos.
Speaker 2: All over the bar and the over the Journal. It looks pretty cool. It looks pretty cool.
Speaker 1: But when we're in when we're in the Overland Journal offices in Prescott, or when we're in the ex Overland Hangar, the ex Hanger in Montana, we do use multiple cameras to provide multiple angles so it looks nicer on YouTube. We've been doing the podcast since twenty nineteen, but it's only really been in the last year and a half or so that Paul has had enough time and we've gotten support from Andy to really set up the lighting right, multiple camera angles. We really focus on making it look as enjoyable as possible for a YouTube viewer, but our main focus is to make sure it's available in audio format for travelers going around.
Speaker 3: The world, so you have the studio in the office.
Speaker 1: Recently, recently, Ashley has been doing a lot of recording, partly because she was in Canada for a while and had more time, but she's also an incredibly important voice to the podcast, so to call her a co host is not even fully recognizing the critical role that she plays in the podcast. So she is in my experience and from my perspective, her and I are at that same level of focus around covering people traveling around the world. So I hope that we have at least fifty percent of it b Ashley, if not more, because she's an incredibly legitimate traveler. She's been around the world the whole length of the America's Northern Africa. They're on their way across the Silk Road, they're getting ready to cross into China. Her and Richards and Ashley has a really important perspective.
Speaker 2: We have a shared value around editorial.
Speaker 1: Integrity and accessibility of travel to everyone, but she has a different perspective, which I think is cool. Yeah, she's a really important part of the team, and I hope that we have more and more of Ashley. The one thing that has allowed us to do a little bit more is we're recording more podcasts on a system called Riverside, which allows for me to be in front of my laptop and maybe hopefully Chris Scott could be in front of his laptop in the UK and I can record with remote travelers. Things like Starlink has made that possible, so we're able to do more and more remote recording at high quality, So we're doing more and more of those as well. So probably a third of the podcast is Me in some form of interview, etc. Another third is Ashley, and then that last third is some combination of all those, including the riverside recordings. I've got a question for the audience that's not only in this room, but those that are listening, because we'd love some feedback. We are thinking about doing a storytelling version of the podcast. Maybe we'll start at once a quarter, but where we take some crazy adventure story that I've experienced or that Ashley's experienced or Matt's experienced, and it will be like a spoken word adventure storytelling episode where I get to talk about saving Prince Harry and Antarctica, or getting run over by a gunboat in the Amazon at the border of Columbia and Venezuela, or any number of things where we get to tell the story like you would see it in overland journal So we've featured all of these stories in the pages of overland journals. We think it might be neat to help those stories come alive in the spoken word, in the spoken word storytelling style on the Overland Journal podcast. So if you guys that are listening like the idea, please let us know because.
Speaker 2: We'll try it out. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I recently read that's the Gunboats excerpt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, overlanding one in over overlanding one on one. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: It's always Nanty Hurt, a wonderful voice.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I have a face for Rade.
Speaker 3: It absolutely does.
Speaker 2: All of hers remote though, right, like almost all of them.
Speaker 1: Some of them she's able to do in person when she bumps into another traveler that's on the same route, so she's probably done. Maybe fifteen twenty percent of them have been.
Speaker 2: In person for her, Yeah, because she's so remote. He's in the middle of open place or in middle of nowhere. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think I don't know if this is intentional or not, but I feel like between yourself, Mad Scott, n Ashley Giordano, you guys all have very different perspectives and personalities, and I think that's reflected.
Speaker 3: In the interviews and when you guys are like you and.
Speaker 4: Mad Scott will obviously have your banter sessions, which I think is positive. But did you intentionally cultivate those personalities.
Speaker 3: Was that is that something that you said out to do or did it just happen to know?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Like for me, it started from a just an incredible amount of respect for Ashley's She's an excellent writer and she's very well traveled. So the thing that's was most important is that whoever's going to be a host on the podcast has to have seen the world, not all of it, but has to have been has gotten in the dirt, has had some struggles. Because that it brings some perspective that I think is really important. And it's not to say that in order for someone to overland that they have to go across Africa. It's not necessary, but I think for a host, it's really important to have had those bumps and bruises along the way. I also like the fact that Matt and I are are best buddies, but we're also very different and we banter like we do on the podcast, like on a Wednesday afternoon in the office. That's how we disagree, and he has different perspectives and I have different perspectives, and that's what makes it awesome. So I love the fact that Matt still wants to participate because it's one of the best parts of my week is when Matt and I get to sit down and talk about a subject and he doesn't have to have a filter.
Speaker 2: Now, sometimes we edit a little bit.
Speaker 1: Paula has the job of saving Matt from himself, so we do edit at times a little bit. But that's Matt's voice, it's his opinion. I've never told him he can't say something if he doesn't like a product. I've never said, hey, that's an advertiser. You can't say that, because we don't do that in the magazine and we won't do it on the podcast. So we always speak from a place of personal conviction, and we don't put those filters in place because we think that wouldn't be a service to our listener. Yea, So not a week goes by that someone doesn't reach out to ask how they can help support the podcast. We are supported entirely by Overland Journal the magazine. So when you become a subscriber to The Overland Journal print magazine, you get this beautiful book that comes in five times a year. It also gives you access to our digital archive and it's well over one hundred pages of gorgeous images and detailed testing and adventures from around the globe. So if you go to Overland Journal dot com and you subscribe to the magazine, use the code overland Podcast and that'll get you twenty percent off. It's only available to our podcast listeners. We don't advertise it anywhere else, and then you help us to maintain that independent, employee owned journalism that we have been famous for, so it allows us to conduct those tests without any advertorial Another way you can help out too. I produced a book last year with Simon and Schuster called Overlanding one oh one. You can find it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble or even your local bookstore, and that encompasses my decades of travel around the world, all my mistakes and failures, and the lessons that I've learned in traveling around the globe. Many of those that you hear on the podcast have been distilled down into print form with great lists and beautiful imagery, So you can find that at your local bookstore. Overlanding one oh one, And thank you all for listening and for supporting us so much throughout these years.
Speaker 4: And this might be a little bit of sausage being made but somebody. We had somebody that was in the booths earlier who had paid for an advertisement in the summer edition of Overlandrell Cool and it was like, hey, tell me about the podcast.
Speaker 3: Is that pay to play?
Speaker 4: Because everybody gets on there there a sum of money. He said, no, it has to be somebody that we're interested in interview Ank Yep. There have been sponsors or brands every life where a brand leader has come on.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it's because we believe in the product, and it's somebody you've used personally.
Speaker 1: And it usually has nothing to do with the product. It's yeah, I'll give you a good example of that. So we have had Dave Hereton from AEV on the podcast many times. He is someone that I trust to speak with integrity about very technical subjects. He happens to be the CEO of AEV, but he knows when he comes on the podcast we're not talking about his product. Sometimes it's brought up because it's context, but what he's talking about is this is why products are made a certain way, this is why some codings are used. This is the types of things to consider around suspension or the person who owns the business has to have a great travel story in and of themselves, or they need to have provided some benefit to the community beyond their product, Like we had Jen from Outdoorsy on not that long ago, and it's such a neat platform and we have no financial relationship without Doorsy at all, but we think it's a great, great way for people to go try an overland vehicles out.
Speaker 3: It's a great win on the website.
Speaker 4: After I listened to podcasts because I was like, can I buy a GX kit it out and then rent it out for a weekend a mug to then justify it.
Speaker 3: To my wife?
Speaker 1: She said, no, okay, but what inspired But what a cool service right to be able to, hey, I want to try out a sprinter van, but not spend two hundred thousand dollars to spend two grand and go try it out for a long weekend. Things like that are great examples of services. But we have never in almost three hundred episodes, accepted any renumeration for a guest to be on the podcast, and we won't do it as long as I'm involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah's you kind.
Speaker 4: Of talked about with a storytelling, But what's the next hill of time for you for the podcast or for Overland Internal GEMO.
Speaker 1: I think the goal for us is to continue to improve the quality of it. So Andy and Paula have been working really hard to improve.
Speaker 2: The audio quality.
Speaker 1: So I apologize to all their listening for any moments of frustrations you've ever had with the Overland Journal podcast. Sometime we're literally in the middle of nowhere, or we're trying to record it in a car on a corrugated road or whatever.
Speaker 2: But Paula and Andy.
Speaker 1: Are working super hard to help us continue to improve the audio quality of the podcast to make it easier for you to listen to. So please keep giving us some grace while we try to sort that out. We think we got it pretty we're squared away in the recording studio, but other places we're still there's wind, the flap the ten flaps are flapping.
Speaker 2: Andy's over there smirking at me.
Speaker 3: He's like, I got you, I got you.
Speaker 1: He's probably got some algorithm that'll run and take all you're making noise exactly exactly. So I think one of the next most important thing is for us to continue to improve the quality.
Speaker 2: We want to continue to elevate the level of.
Speaker 1: The guests that we have on the podcast. We want to get more incredible travelers. We've got several of them booked here at Overland Expo that are going to be on the podcast. So if you've got anyone in mind that you think we should be interviewing or that we should have on the podcast, please reach out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're looking for the.
Speaker 3: To the listeners they think they should be on podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: If yeah, if you're listening and you should be on the podcast, please let me know.
Speaker 2: We'd love to interview truly.
Speaker 4: And then I think this might be my last one. Overland Journal is about to celebrate a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of a birthday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: I'm about to have a issue come out that's suppossibly notable. Do you want to talk about that at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 1: The Overland Journal podcast is possible because of the Overland Journal magazine, and that's because we do have revenue streams related to subscription and advertising in the magazine that allows us to underwrite the podcast.
Speaker 2: So for all of you that.
Speaker 1: Are listening, if you subscribe to the magazine, you're helping to support the podcast that you enjoy listening to. It helps us to continue.
Speaker 2: To do this.
Speaker 1: But we've been doing it for almost twenty years. So we started Overland Journal as a business in two thousand and six, and our very first issue of the magazine was Spring of two thousand and seven. The spring issue of twenty twenty seven is going to be our twentieth anniversary issue. It's going to be the anniversary issue. It's going to be developed as such. We're going to be bringing back some incredible stories and catching up with these folks where they're at in the world, and a bunch of new content. And it's also going to be our one hundred copy of the magazine, which is crazy for me to think that we have produced one hundred Overland journals over twenty years. To see them all put together on my desk now is it's very humbling to me that so many people have given so much of their time to help us tell stories of adventure around the world. So the magazine wouldn't be possible without subscribers, it wouldn't be possible without the advertisers that have believed in us from the beginning, and it certainly wouldn't be possible without all of those incredible contributors. Our editor to Overacker, Stephanie Brady or designer Bill Ashley is a regular contributor to the magazine, So we wouldn't it wouldn't even be possible without those folks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this very very tiny team. It's a tiny really outstanding work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we care. We all love it. We care about it.
Speaker 1: Just the amount of time that we spend vacillating over the cover of the magazine, like hours of deliberation, because we want it to be the very best that we can make it. And Jake, thank you so much for caring about the magazine enough that you spend significant parts of your day thinking about how we make the business healthy and continue on for hopefully another twenty years.
Speaker 3: It's I really appreciate that.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the opportunity that you guys have given me to be able to.
Speaker 3: Insert my opinion and have my voice be a part of how we're going about making this bigger and better.
Speaker 1: And you've got a big trip coming up with your son, So let's let's let the audience know what Jake is planning up to.
Speaker 2: The big thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have the Overland Collective has the Big Thing twenty twenty six ty ninth through twelve.
Speaker 3: My family has a vacation in Tahoe. I live in southern California, so we're doing a little Tahoe trip.
Speaker 4: And then my son and I are going to make a trip from Tahoe to Three Forks just outside of Postman, and then all the way back down to southern California.
Speaker 3: And I'll be the first broad trip with me and my five year old boy.
Speaker 1: And you're gonna be building out a rig, as I understand, we don't know exactly what it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're looking out some stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got a roof ten for you already, so you're gonna have an auto home on this thing.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is ends up being. Get you some more gear.
Speaker 1: But to go do that with your son, that has got to be the coolest thing possible is to go have that multi generational experience with your boy.
Speaker 2: So yeah, cool is that.
Speaker 3: I still got to map it out. We're less than two months away, and I don't have my route set old or where we're going to camp, settle the.
Speaker 2: Or It'll all be fine, it'll all be fine.
Speaker 3: Work it out.
Speaker 4: But if he has dirt that he can play in puddles, he can stomp in links, he can dive in then he's good.
Speaker 2: That sounds perfect for both you and him.
Speaker 3: So I'll drink a cold beer while he's gonna hold it.
Speaker 2: Ah, that sounds great.
Speaker 1: That sounds great And a special thanks to Hankook Tire for supporting this week's podcast. With Summer Underway, head over to Expeditionportal dot com for Jeepbeach Vibe inspiration. Our team spent the weekend with handcook Dina pro Tire at this year's twenty twenty six Jeep Beachweak in Daytona, Florida and took a look at their Wrangler three ninety two. Look for Jeep Beach twenty twenty six when you go to Expedition Portal dot com.
Speaker 2: The other questions from the room here before we wrap.
Speaker 1: This up, if you had that one guest is your one guest wish list right now, one guest wish list, I truly it would be Ewan McGregor. And the reason for it is the Long Way Round was. It all came out just before we started Expedition Portal and Overland Journal, and it was an incredible inspiration to me, not only that our trip like that could be done around the world, but that they could tell such great stories around it. And I'm not much into pop culture and I didn't really even know the extent of what these guys had done when movies and everything else. But for two guys to say, Hey, we want to go ride BMW's around the world and then do it, that's an incredible inspiration just for the sake of like, how has that changed his life? He's had an incredible life and he's done incredible things as an actor, as an artist, but how is travel on a.
Speaker 2: Motorcycle changed him as a person.
Speaker 1: I would love to know, because I suspect it's changed him in a lot of ways. So yeah, that would probably be the one I'd love to sit across from just to thank him for what he did.
Speaker 3: That was a cool one too.
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that came out on MTV or something.
Speaker 4: Watching a television that was quite a big gonor at that point, but that was impactful for me. Yeah, to see a movie star may have had a Star Wars roll or two, yep, and to watch that in that trip on those motorcycles and it holds up.
Speaker 1: I started watching it a little bit ago again and it was like, it really holds up it's still super good. It's super fun to watch, even all those years later. And of course the motorcycle that I ride now is an eleven to fifty gs adventure, just like those guys rode. So it definitely had an impact on me. So we got a couple of checklist items. Yeah, we got some checklists. Some people to reach out to you. Yeah, that'd be cool. That would be awesome, That would be awesome. All right, thank you all for attending our little session. Thanks for your question. I'm excited to hear more of your updates on Australia and Africa, and we thank you all for listening, and we'll talk to you next time.