Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory fil Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sahadim Charma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic and Patrick, the Cubs have made the decision to dfa jameson Tywn. It had just gotten to the point where he wasn't getting the job done. When he went out there, came back from the injured list, it made I believe it was a left hamstring. Made two starts immediately put his team in a hole, giving up multiple home runs. I think he'd given up five home runs in the two starts. It was well over twenty home runs twenty five I'm going off memory right now. Yeah, twenty five home runs total. And he was in like the seventy somethingter innings. He's like fifth in home runs allowed and a good twenty innings below that group of pitchers that were that were up there at the top of the league. Just too much hard contact, too many balls going over the fence, and it got to the point where they had to let him go. A team leader, a great easy guy to talk to, always a good quote for us, but it wasn't getting the job done anymore.
Speaker 2: You're right side. There's a couple of different sides to this. I think leading with the person Dansby Swanson said jameson Tyn is quote definitely on my mount rushmore of teammates, you had players like Matthew Boyd just kind of raving about Jamison's character. Even Craig Counsel, who this doesn't always come across on the TV screen, but who does have really great feel for clubhouse dynamics and culture. You described him as a great teacher for how to act like a major league player, and he acknowledged that sounds kind of silly, like what's the big deal with that, But a lot of players need help, and Jamison was exemplary in terms of showing how you treat people behind the scenes, how you conduct and carry yourself as a professional. And you know, having said all that, he was a really good pitcher for them last year. I mean he was on the mound in October when they won two elimination games at Wrigley Field wire to wire. From that contract, obviously, you know he did not deliver, but for long stretches during that he was exactly as advertised, very dependable, reliable, had an excellent season in twenty four, twenty three, it was a bad first half, very good second half, and then you know, last year really helped hold the playoff team together and I think ultimately the calculus here, you know, according to counsels, they just didn't think he was going to pitch for them again. That they felt that it had sort of just run its course in terms of their game planning ideas, you know, pitch mix, you know this or that, Like it was just in their mind, you know, it was time to give someone else an opportunity, knowing that they're probably going to be adding at the trade deadline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at these numbers and it's it's hard like a twenty four great, great, really good season. Three twenty seven era, uh, three sixty eight ERA. Last year, Uh, he was hurt for a little bit, but then came back and really delivered for them in the playoffs was a you know, solid He started those two elimination games, looked good out there. The hard contact just skyrocketed this year. Home runs, this hard contact, everything was hit hard. There was just not that it wasn't like there was anything in the underlying data that said, like, you know what we can fix this or this is here's some things that look good that we can rely on. It's a disappointing end to a guy that, like you said, as far as Clubhouse goes, he's a he was a big part of that group and he the other day we were talking to Pete row Armstrong. I remember this, and someone was talking about the funniest guy in the clubhouse, and that was the guy that Pete mentioned first was jameson ti own laid back guy that that you know, knew how to talk to everyone, all types of people, and he was very very good at kind of like talking about the big picture, understand ending things like in a holistic way. It was it was it was fun to talk to him. That's for sure, a very easy guy to uh. You know, if if it didn't matter, like if you had a storyline and he had pitched, it was like, oh perfect, I can ask Tyo about this. You know, it's like, you know, he'll give you a good answer. We love those types of guys. They're very easy to to to deal with. I think this sets up something though, like what was the vibe you were getting when when talking to people out there? Is this like it we've been talking about it for weeks already, but adding to the rotation feels like a must at the trade deadline. They've already added David Peterson, who's made five or six starts, really nice start Monday night against Saint Louis after his only bad start was against Saint Louis. He's been a solid addition for them. But but they're they're going to continue to add to this rotation and I feel like getting rid of I think the one surprise was how can you get rid of starting pitching depth? Uh, they must feel good that they're going to continue to add.
Speaker 2: When I ask counsel that he gave me the he deliberated for a moment or two and then just said pass and then he started of thought about it so well. I think I think Jed's said he wants to add start any pitch, and it's like, well, yeah, he said that last year too and got Michael Soroca, who did start then got hurt because he had already been hurt, you know, within that season, within that summer, and for long stretches of his career. So uh, you know, the plan is for Javier assad to you know, make that next start. I think that would be whatever Friday, you know, this weekend against the Yankees. Obviously, Asad has been very good. You know, I would guess that's a temporary assignment in the rotation unless something else happens or you know, I guess you could also move Colin Ray back to the bullpen. But clearly this season is just getting shorter. The calendar is shrinking. Like if this was May, I think you kind of work through some of Taiwan stuff more, particularly seeing how you know depleted, you know, their pitching reserves are. But you know, we'll get into this later. Like there are some optimistic updates when you when you look at that outlook for August in September, in terms of you know, guys getting healthy. You're right to mention Peterson. I think he'll make seven starts before the trade deadline, which is pretty good. I mean, obviously he was not performing for the Mets, like you know, he was probably you know, he was kind of trending toward DFA territory if he didn't turn it around in New York. But you know, Jed Hoyer went out and got him. He's been kind of exactly what you know, you would have hoped for. I think in those six starts he's been you know, at least serviceable, if not a lot better than five of those. So just that really, you know, blowout loss against the Cardinals at Wrigley Field. You know, he turned it around at Bush Stadium on Monday night. And so you know, Council said, he's like the trade deadline's a factor. The amount of season we have left as a factor. What we saw within Jamison's season is a factor. And so like the the pictures we'll talk about in a bit were getting healthy. He said, that's not really you know, part of it. But you know, I think you do since a little bit of urgency, you know, with a move like this, you know, as Matthew Boyd said, it's not like it's a wake up call. And you know, Nico horn or nod at his head when I said, I know, you guys, you try to treat every day the same as the same day. You know, that's a big kind of counsel. That's the environment, the bubble he tries to create. But you know, you can tell it's kind of getting to go time here, and you know, instead of those dog days of August, they might get a nice like boost between the deadline and guys getting healthy like they really, as Pete said, they've really had to grind through a lot of the first half and now you know, you'd like to think they'd kind of see the rewards from that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Okay, what you're touching on about the health, Let's take a break because I think this is I'm very curious about how this will play out and with tying it into the deadline because the bullpen starter stuff is going to be interesting to talk about. Let's take a break and come I can talk a little bit about who's getting healthy and what the timelines may be.
Speaker 3: Big second half of the season coming up, there might be a hot ticket, a rivalry series, a sold out experience they need to get your hands on, and Sea Geek is the spot for that. You can find good good pricing. They help you with the pricing green dot good, red dot not as good, and they help you with your view of the seat for some big matchups coming up in August, September and eventually leading up to playoffs.
Speaker 4: Why would you not use see geek If you want a view from your seat. You want to know if it's a good seat, if it's a good deal, it has all of it on the app.
Speaker 2: It's easy to use. It's one click boom.
Speaker 4: You buy the tickets, they send them right to you, get them on the app, and then you can go check out whatever game whatever you're a fan of. If you can go to whether it's baseball, whether it's concerts, whatever you're into, you can find a ticket and you can always try to find the green dot on sekk.
Speaker 3: And for MLB tickets, you can get ten percent off with that promo cover running all season long, Territory one zero. That's territory ten off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your accounts so you can.
Speaker 1: Use it later. All right, Patrick, I was thinking about this, if if these guys get healthy, there's a lot of stuff going on with health and who may come back. It seemed like you almost had to add like multiple big pieces in the bullpen at one point. Now, I'm kind of curious to see how this plays out and what exactly they're they're going to add. Is it. I feel like it's risky, but let's get some updates where are we with some of these pictures that there was a surprise to me that, you know, Hunter Harvey was even like a positive update. But what are you hearing on the road, What are the updates for these pictures.
Speaker 2: I'll get to that in a second, But your your thought there is exactly what I had when we were talking to Counts on Monday, of like, you know, if these guys are in a mid August time frame, do you feel better about the bullpen than you did, you know, months, if not weeks ago, And He's like, yeah, we're on a path towards getting more bodies out there, but you can always get better. And that's what I would say. I was like, there's only so many good pictures out there. You only have so many trade chips available, and if you have this cluster pictures kind of on the mend, where are you gonna put them all? And now that would be a good problem to have. I don't think. I think I'm saying you can always get better is probably the takeaway there of like they can you know, there are pictures that kind of help you get to October, and then there are those who you know, truly make a difference in the playoffs, and you know, high leverage relievers who are locked in have an outsize impact you know during those series. So yeah, Hunter Harvey, it's kind of a wild card, you know. I'd say right before the All Star break, the talk around him was like, quoting Council, you know, we're gonna we're gonna have to push through here, Like you know, it hasn't really gotten too a great place. We're kind of running out of time, like things are lingering, but we've been trying, and like this is the moment to kind of push forward. And apparently he had some sort of breakthrough or at least they found, you know, some sort of compromise here to get him on a path back towards the majors in a way that makes sense. And so both he and Daniel Polanci are on a similar timeline, like they're kind of bullpens how you would map out or rehab assignment are pretty close, and so you'd be looking at middle of August if everything goes well with no setbacks. I think Palencia and Harvey are sort of two different entities in terms of like we've seen Palencia comeback, We've seen him come back quickly. We all remember last September when it looked like you know, his his arm was in really really bad shape, and he wound up being awesome in the playoffs. Harvey, you know, the Cubs knew the risk when they signed him. He has an extensive injury history, but he does he does have that sort of X factor that they've been looking for in terms of the swing miss stuff. If they could get get him reincorporated into the bullpen. Hoby Millner would probably the first guy back from that. You know, his appendectomy was, you know, a fairly straightforward recovery plan. You know that, you know, I think he maybe starting He won't be active for the Yankee Series, which I think the Cubs would have liked to have him available for that, but you know, you'd be looking at early to mid August with him. Shelby Miller another name that you know, we had kind of heard as someone who's pushing through. He has kind of a longer sort of ramp up, but he's throwing live bps now and like they think there's a chance he could come back at some point this year. So that's what like, you know, for four relievers before we even get into you know, maybe getting a high leverage guy at the deadline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it seems like it. It's risky in the sense that all these guys are coming back from injury, and it's like, what if none of it works out, you have to So it feels like you should get one more guy.
Speaker 2: For sure, should.
Speaker 1: Get one more guy. I think I still feel like the focus has to be on starting pitching. That's a must. You have to get a guy. I think if you look at it out all the injuries and you want to be optimistic, you could say, like, do you even need a starter? I think that's crazy way to look at it. You shouldn't. You absolutely do need a starter, not only for this season but beyond. I think it's really important to try and get that off season shopping check a little bit off your list. It's going to be hard, it's not going to come cheap. I do believe the Cubs are willing to move almost anyone in their system, almost anyone for the right piece. But where are we with the starters. I'd say Edward Cabrera is the only one that we have like a real map out for. I don't believe there were updates on I think Steele is in the same spot, and we're not expecting him to be a starter this year. But I don't remember reading. Maybe maybe I'm there's been so much that I've read of yours while you've been on the road. I don't believe there was a Ben Brown update, but maybe there was, and I'm forgetting uh. But Edward Cabrera, I believe is the one that we have the most conflict update for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he's scheduled to make a rehab start on Friday with Triple A Iowa. He's scheduled for three rehab starts, so you can just kind of map the days out there that would put him in I did this last night. It was right right squarely in the middle of August. You know, he's healthy. You know, according to council that he is scheduled to throw a bullpen session this week at Bush Stadium and then go out to Iowa. So like there's a very reasonable expectation for when he will pitch for the Cubs again. Like that's assuming like no setback with this or not, like a different kind of injury popping up. They were all really curious to see, you know, has this downtime helped him and what sort of pitcher the Cubs are going to be getting back. Obviously, they thought he had the stuff to be at top of the rotation starter when he's been healthy. We haven't really seen it. We've seen very brief glimpses of it. Justin Steele still as of last weekend scheduled for kind of bullpen sessions first week of August, and Ben Brown was still kind of in the same place of like nothing noteworthy or that they were willing to share. I think that's just kind of another lower one, but I'd imagine we'll try and get something more concrete. It's just been kind of a weird injury, a lot of factors going into it. I think you can't. I think you have you have to count on Cabrera coming back. You know, they're expecting that, you know, steal. We'll see what he's able to do. And I think similar to similar case with Ben Brown, like they think he can pitch again this year. I'm sure it would be great for his frame of mind. It would help the Cubs plan a little bit. Maybe he can give you some innings here or there. Maybe in the playoffs if they get there, you can kind of reassess things and you know what everyone is comfortable with, But those two guys.
Speaker 1: Are in a separate category for now, okay, which also makes it interesting. As far as the adding to the bullpen aspect, it's just like they're such wild cards you don't want to have to like you're not one hundred percent sure what they can give you. But you know that, especially with Ben Brown, that if he's healthy, he can give you a lot right now, Like I just don't know where I don't want to say that for Justin Steele, just because he hasn't pitched in so long. I know when he's right, he can give you really good innings, no matter whether he's a reliever or a starter. But I just don't know where he's at right now, so I don't want to say that for sure. With like, as far as what they can trade, we've talked about this a lot. As far as the prospects go, I think there's a few guys that we can talk about that are on the major like either have had some major league experience or currently on the major league roster. I guess like we can just name him the four guys I would mention our Pedro Ramirez, Matt Shaw, Kevin El Contra and now James Treanto's who just came up recently. You know, I think the biggest deals, if you're making a big deal, it would either be Pedro Romirez or Matt Shaw would be ones that you could see getting a really big piece. We just saw Curtis Mead for Connolly early, the two under control players, position player for a pitcher. Those trades don't happen that often. But that's kind of made me think of Matt Shaw or Pedro Ramirez that that I mean personally, I like, for everything I've seen of Pedro Romirez, I love the guy. I don't know where he fits in the future of this team, but I also think, like you find a place for a guy like that. I also don't want to just miss Matt Shaw because you know, it's like we haven't seen him in a little bit. So it makes me like I don't want to forget that, Like when he has been healthy this year, he's been really good and he's really versatile. Both those guys are valuable in their own way, which makes them valuable on the trade market as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Shaw council confirmed will not be activated before the trade deadline. That doesn't mean a trade involving Shaw can't happen. I mean, we saw that in that National's Red Sox trade that you know, I think, and I think taking on injured pitchure is different than taking on an injured super utility guy. But I don't know. I think it's harder to line up if you're so obsessed with value and you know Mattshaw was untouchable not that long ago because you thought his future of value was just through the roof. I have a hard time seeing like two data driven teams come together on the right value of an injured guy who I'm not sure how much he's even like swinging a bat right now, and obviously no one's untouchable. Maybe this is nothing but listening to the way counsel raves about Pedro Amir's is maturity and baseball iq uh and skill set is very noticeable, and so he sounds like a keeper to me. I think the Cubs are concerned about all the free agents they have looming on their roster. They don't know what the next CBA is going to look like. I think they think young talent will be young, cheap young talent will be even more of a premium. Uh in the years ahead when you have those flexible pieces, obviously, you know you got to give up something to get something, and you know, maybe that's they're they're kind of forced into something like that. But yeah, yeah, I think we all think, I mean, Kevin Alcantra should probably be on a new team by by August third, and you know, Trianta's is an interesting one. Like I think it would probably be best for his career to find, you know, somewhere that you know, second, third, second and third aren't occupied by guys on long term nine figure deals. Council also said he'd be comfortable putting him in left, like those are kind of the three positions, but he also said James is not going to play a lot like that was the and I thought that was kind of an interesting insight into how Council views the roster and the idea of developing talent at the major league level. It's not just what happens in between the lines on the field. It is exposing someone like Pedro Amirez early this year to the club and then a couple of things happened, and he makes a couple of plays and you know, passes the eye tests and all of a sudden, you know, he hasn't gone back to Iowa. So I would think that, you know, Triante Contra, if a couple other players at Triple A that I think you could get something for, Like you're not getting Scooble, you know, for your your des Moines leftovers, but like those players I think would have value kind of out on the marketplace that if you're a rebuilding team, I think there are worst worst pieces to get. Then you know, some of these interesting position players the Cubs have, I'm not over hyping them just so pups have a pretty good track record with this. They have like no opportunity here. The Cubs, it's in their best interest to like move on from some of these players and get some like right now pitching value because it's not like their farm system is producing a lot of arms right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really depends what the acquiring team is looking for. A guy like Johnny Long. You know, it could be a nice secondary piece in like a smaller deal. Think back to the Soroka deal that was Ronnie Cruz was kind of like the younger piece, and then Christian Franklin was like the Triple A guy like on the verge that could maybe help BJ. Murray's a little older. I think he's like twenty six. That's an older guy. Again, not a ton of value, but could be a piece in a deal for a reliever, or like a third or fourth piece in a for a starter. And like we didn't even talk about him. I don't I don't know if they'd be willing to move him. But moyses by Asteros is still a triple A. He hasn't started raking yet, but you kind of know that he's going to hit. You want to see him get his confidence back. And I still think he's a part of the future for the Cubs. But you know, in the right deal, you can't say that he's, you know, untouchable. I don't think anybody is all contra I do believe is it's tough to get him proper value, like as a part time player. I just don't think he is a part time player. I think he's a guy that you need to let him play and see if that talent kind of takes over, because he is like even in the minors, he's the type of guy that, like, you let him play and then he gets red hot and it's like, oh, Yeah, this guy's incredibly talented. It's hard to show that when you're getting you know, very few at bats and starting against lefties on occasion. It's it's I don't think he's that type of player. So, you know, I do think he has value. I don't think he can be like the centerpiece of a deal for like, you know, a controllable starter like Red Depmers or something. I don't think he's like the headliner, but I do think he has value. All these guys are solid pieces that I agree with you. Treanto's and l Contre just kind of makes sense. Like I want to see these guys get every day playing time somewhere, and I think we're on the sane, like the way the council has talked about Ramirez like this really since spring training. Yeah, and you know, we'll see if we'll see if he's still a part of the future. Sometimes you have to give up players that you just love to get that right piece. But you know, I do think he can impact the team now and in the future. And like you said, there, we don't know what the new CBA will look like. All right, Patrick, that's it for now. We'll have a few more episodes this week. Thanks so much for listening to everyone. This is Northside Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and I are on top of all things cubs. Thanks for listening and watching everyone. Take care.