Speaker 1: One of the great pleasures of doing sound, Light and Frequency is that no two episodes are ever alike. We go where the stories go. Sometimes that means a deep dive into a movie or a TV series, and sometimes it means discovering halfway through our preparation that the episode that we thought we were going to do has quietly turned into something else. Now, the good news is that we're constantly learning as we're doing this. Every time we put one of these episodes together, we find new connections between films and TV, but also UFO cases and UAP history, government secrecy, cultural memory, and all the weird little places that those things intersect. Now, Originally we thought that we might do an entire episode today about alien abductions and how they've been treated in movies and television. But once we started laying that one out, it became obvious that's not really an episode. It was more like a graduate seminar. People have written entire books about this, So we decided we might narrow our focus and ask a better question. So, what happens if we take two of the most famous abduction cases in history and lay them out chronologically and then look at them through the POV of Hollywood, and that is what brought us to the Betty and Barney Hill case from nineteen sixty one and the Travis Walton case from nineteen seventy five, because these are two of the best known cases of alien abduction in American culture, probably the two best known. There are also two cases that have compelled me, both personally and professionally for most of my life. Honestly to the point where to say that I was interested in them doesn't really do justice. Obsession is probably a better and more accurate way to put it. I've written about the Hills, I've dramatized them. My wife Jackie, and I have even developed their story as both a feature film and a limited TV series. I've also studied Travis Walton's case for decades, going back to actually covering it when I was a young radio guy in Eugene, Oregon. A few years ago. I even appeared as an on camera subject matter expert on the Discovery Channel when they did documentaries on both cases. And you know what I learned is, even after two separate two hour documentaries, there were still important pieces of those stories that never got explored, mainly because the executives at the network said that they didn't really belong in there. They were wrong. In today's episode, we are going to ask what was happening in film and television when Betty and Barney and Travis Walton were claiming what had happened to them? And the one question we keep coming back to on sound, light and Frequency is this this Hollywood simply reflect the UFO phenomenon or does it help shape the way that we experience and remember it, Which brings me to another thing about our show, the detours. Sometimes these detours look like we're wandering off the road, but more often than not, they bring us back to the subject in an even more interesting direction. Today, we're just going to start with one of those detours because we like where it takes us. And so the detour is this. Have you ever found yourself comparing notes with friends about where you were when some huge event occurs? People have been doing that for generations. I remember my grandparents used to talk about what they were doing when Pearl Harbor happened. These moments become personal timestamps for us. They're not just history anymore. They become part of your own story. So, now as I bring in my co host, Brent Friedman from Washington State. Brent, I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that neither of us have a Pearl Harbor memory to start with, because I don't think we were alive.
Speaker 2: I was definitely not alive. I thought you were alive though at the time.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much for that. Thank you very much. Good. I gave you one there. Listen. The first historical memory that I think we could talk about would be the JFK assassination. Let's do a lightning round of these big ones, because they're going to take us someplace interesting, So I'll give you JFK Go barely conscious. That's exactly right. That's all I was at the time. I was, I believe, a fourth grader, and I remember sitting at lunch when my teacher, Missus Braden, who was a tough task master that always made us eat our food, did not make us eat the broccoli they served that day, and instead she sat at the table and cry. So that's what I was doing on that day.
Speaker 3: That's a stark memory.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They rolled a TV set in and everything, and we watched Missus Braden cry and then they let us go home early and then we watched our parents cry. So that was JFK. I guess the other big one though, after that, that you probably do have a conscious memory of, would be what you were doing when you learned about John Lennon's murder in New York City in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: So I heard about that.
Speaker 2: I was in high school at the time, and I remember being out in kind of the quad area of the school and seeing people all huddling together like wildfire. The news spread across the lawns. Someone had heard it, and people were telling each other, and I remember being at the far end of that wave, going what is everyone talking about? When it got to me, I didn't think it was real. And then I started seeing around me some people crying, and it suddenly sunk in and I felt sick to my stomach. It just didn't make any sense. It was of course, it raised that question, why would someone kill John Lennon.
Speaker 1: I still ask myself that. Of course, I'm a few years older than you. So I actually was working. I had just started working at CNN as the Los Angeles correspondent, so I wasn't covering the main story, which was being covered by the other some other network people but in Los Angeles, I think they sent me out to talk to people at a high school, so I could have been the guy interviewing people at your high school about what they thought. And I have one interesting memory though. I called my brother as soon as I heard the news that the night before when it happened. I said, Alan, John Lennon's been murdered, and he goes, what's your problem? Was? Are you calling me? And I was so offended I just hung up right. The phone rings three minutes later and he goes, I don't know what I was thinking. I'm sorry. I apologize. That's a huge thing. So in other words, that delayed reaction where you're like, Okay, now I get it, and that's what he had. And then, of course, I guess after Lennon, another big one for us would of course, what we were doing on that terrible morning when the towers came down for nine to eleven.
Speaker 2: So I remember getting a phone call from my mother saying what's happening?
Speaker 1: And I was.
Speaker 3: Barely awake at the time.
Speaker 2: I think I'd been working late the night before, and I was like, I don't know what is happening, and she'd go turn on the television, and so that was my indoctrination into the whole situation, and again that it seemed very surreal, like I felt, am I still dreaming? Is this really happening? It seemed impossible. It still seems impossible, Listen. I was out running. I was a runner at the time, and I'd gone run in the morning with a friend and my wife ended up driving down and finding us and saying, get in the car. We got to go home. We've got to be home. So she took me home and dropped my friend off. But then what was historically weird to me was that I had just been elected chairman of the TV Academy and the Emmys were on September sixteenth of that year, so of course nobody wanted to go to Emmy's five days after nine to eleven. So I ended up canceling them once. And I've told this before, but we set them for October seventh, and on that day we attacked Afghanistan, so we had to cancel them a second time. So the Emmys went forty nine years, never canceled before, and I had to oversee that twice. Anyway, we probably do an episode about just where we're one of those, we wouldn't have anything to do with UFOs per se.
Speaker 1: And that's kind of my point. We all remember what we were doing for those huge events, and yet there are some events that most people don't pay any attention to that in the UFO world are kind of major events. And I think the one that people now talk to each other about a little bit was what they were doing, what they were thinking when the whole UFO topic seemed to change. And that was the night of December sixteenth, twenty seventeen, when an online story was broken by The New York Times, and the morning of December seventeenth, twenty seventeen, when the actual paper came out and this story spread like wildfire. Do you remember that day?
Speaker 2: I do, And that was interesting because again I was unaware of the breaking news, but my phone started blowing up with texts from people saying did you see it?
Speaker 3: Did you see it? What do you think? I'm like, what, what's going on?
Speaker 2: By the time I finally caught up, I remember sitting down and just reading the whole article, just inhaling it, and my thought was, Okay, so they've dropped this Knimtz case on the world, and it felt like the first drip of real closure, and I thought to myself, it's happening. Here we go now looking back on it now, Literally it was just a drip, but it felt like the world was changing, or it had changed overnight when I read that article, What about you?
Speaker 3: Where were you in the worlds?
Speaker 1: Sure did. What's interesting, My family and I have always practiced what we call parachute vacations. We just drop into a city that we know nothing about, and we get on our cell phones since cell phones have been out, and we start looking around to see what should we do, Where can we go? That kind of thing. So we had just air dropped into New Orleans at that time, and so we were in New Orleans for a couple of reasons, just because we'd never been there, and we thought the kids would enjoy that, and they did. Everybody was enjoying it. And that morning I was at the World War Two Museum in New Orleans because my wife, Jackie, and I have a World War Two movie called The Last Battle that is supposed to be shooting this year, and so we were doing some research for it, and one of the big things of the New Orleans Museum World War Two Museum is that they have a film that is narrated and hosted by Tom Hanks. So that's the big one. You crowd into the theater and you watch Time Next talk about World War Two. And I noticed that my phone had started ringing during this thing, but I didn't be My family's looking at me like glaring daggers at me. Is so are people in the theater, Like turn your phone off? So I turned my phone off right And then as I was leaving, I open up my phone and I turn it on and the first thing that pops up is that I have a phone message and this listen. We're going to get into this deeper as we go into the show because it will pay off in other ways. But it's such a crazy memory for me because it's December seventeenth, twenty seventeen, and when I turn my phone on, there is a message there from I feel like, if we can put a drum roll into this, we should put we should do that because the message is from Dan Akroyd.
Speaker 2: Dan Akroyd of Ghostbusters and Live and many other amazing movies, of.
Speaker 1: Course, is an extremely well known guy in the UFO world. And just to clarify things, I had met him the month before because, like I said, I was chairman of the TV Academy, and so I went to all their events, and I'd gone to the Emmy and induction of the Hall of Fame for all the Saturday Night Live original characters, and Dan was one of them. And what was interesting is at that exact moment that night, he was standing by himself. And that's kind of wild because all the original cast was there, Jevy Chase was there, everybody. He was wild and I was thrilled to be there. But I said to my wife, I go, I'm going to go talk to Akroyd about UFOs, And she's like, you really think you should? And I went, I don't know, probably not, But I went and I introduced myself and I said that there were probably only two people in this higher party that knew as much about UFOs as he and I did. And he looks at me and he goes, so, what do you think of the Todd Ces case, which frankly is deep cut. That's a deep cut of eufology, right, Okay. But I had just talked to somebody on the phone about it, like a couple of weeks previous, and I said, that's the guy who disappeared and they couldn't find it, but they found his shoes up in the tree. And I may even be getting it wrong now, I had it more in my wheelhouse at the time, right, and so that he was like, Okay, this guy does know. So we started. We had a really nice conversation, kind of an extended one at that moment, and we were passing things back and forth at the time. Afterwards, Okay, we had created emails and all that, and I had a movie at the time about Betty and Barney Hill. You see how this is all kind of how this all going, you see behind this thing. So he and I had been exchanging emails about the Betty and Barney Hill script and he had asked to read it that kind of thing. But that's not why. That's not what he said per se in this phone call. And Brent, I've never done this before because the truth is, I don't save people's phone messages. But the truth is I just could never get rid of Dan Aykroyd's phone message. It just seems if there's a historical moment, I would probably save it anyway, because hey, it's Dan Ackroyd. He was a tremendous guy. I really liked him and do like him, but I also thought, wow, this is for ufology. This is the Pearl Harbor, the JFK, the lenin the nine to eleven. This is a big deal, right, So.
Speaker 3: You're talking about the Nimetz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the New York about Nimets and the fact that the government admits in this story that they have actually been paying good money I think twenty two million dollars in that case to study UFOs when they've been telling everybody they don't. Okay, so tend not to play these things, but it's been nine years, so I'm gonna play it. I don't think Dan would probably mind. Let's hear it, and so let's just play this thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Front page, December seventeenth, New York Times, Real UFOs kentagone. You have tried to know Ralph Bloomenthal wrote it. He wrote that great piece of Vanity Fair about Bonnie and Betty. Do you know Ralse He's great, just great. You should get to know him. If you don't, don't know why Spielberg wouldn't want to produce that big time. If you've got the rights, you're very wise. There's Zach Royd here of course, and John Simon, how old was he when that'd be a good part for me? And then James Peas was the you know you could get I don't know, q Zach or Timberlake. He was the younger Air Force officer, but that he kind of confided in. But here we are, Front Page December seventeen to two seventeen. It's just wait, what's coming? Man? Just wait? What's coming to this planet?
Speaker 3: The boy?
Speaker 4: All right? I had a fun start talking to him, see each other again. I'll tell you about the car. They may disappear in front of me.
Speaker 3: By wow, just wow. I don't know else to respond.
Speaker 1: I'm not even sure, you know, as we like to say, sometimes there's a lot to unpack. There so many things. First of all, by the way, I loved his enthusiasm for the movie. There are a couple of things not quite accurate in there for people who are Officionado's. He was suggesting he might want to play the part of doctor Benjamin Simon, who was the person who hypnotized Betty and Barney and regressed them. And I believe the young guy that he was talking about was at Peace Air Force Base b EA sse but his name was I had it on the tip of my tongue. I've lost it myself right now anyway. But the Brent, the one thought that I thought was holy crap. He ends by saying a car that they made disappear in front of me. What did you make of that one? Do you have any clue on that?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just know he knows how to write a cliffhanger.
Speaker 1: He sure does. Listen. I didn't know at the time. It turns out, I can't say that he was confiding a story that he'd never told before at that particular moment, because this is twenty seventeen. I believe as early as two thousand and two, in an interview, he had said he was shooting a sci fi channel show called out There in New York, and he had just interviewed Stephen Greer, was about to interview Steve Bassett, and he went out at forty second and eighth Street for a cigarette. This is the story that apparently he told. He didn't tell it to me, And he says he saw a black Ford with two tall men. The plate looked pixelated to him, and then this part he's just he took a call from Britney Spears, who gets to say that. I'm excited to say dan Akroyd called me. He's talking to Britney Spears, okay, And he looks back and the car and the men are gone within seconds, all right. And he goes back inside and the producer of the show that he's doing tells him his show has been canceled.
Speaker 3: That's an eventful two minutes or whatever that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, can he described these guys as men in black kind of guys? Speculated the vehicle may have been cloaked, So yeah, a lot of connections in there.
Speaker 2: Okay, it seems dan Akroyd has hijacked our episode and is trying to keep us from investigating Betty and Barney Hill and Travis Walton.
Speaker 1: But he's not going to get away with it. Listen, the reason I had to play this is if not now, when And also I would imagine about ninety nine point nine percent of the people in our audience, whether they're listening or viewing, have great affection for dan Akroyd and who doesn't. Yeah, exactly. But in addition to affection respect because he was outspoken on this topic before outspoken was acceptable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, very true.
Speaker 1: It was true. It was fringe when he was doing those things, and so good for him anyway. We're going to unpack more of that in just a few minutes. I'm Bryce's able. Sometimes there's a secret connection between the UFO issue and Hollywood.
Speaker 2: I'm Brent Friedman, and that's what we talk about on Sound, Light and Frequency today.
Speaker 1: We're asking if there's a feedback loop between movies and TV and what's really going on, especially when it comes to abductions.
Speaker 2: We're going to break it all down on this episode and we'll be right back back.
Speaker 1: One of the things when we were trying to lay this out, we thought we could make it based on topics and that kind of thing. We thought that's going to be confusing, that could be a little tough. So instead, what we're going to do is walk through this storyline that combines Betty and Barney and Travis, and we're going to do it chronologically. And as we do this, I think you'll see where there are some intersections that maybe you didn't see coming. So let's talk Betty and Barney first, because they kicked this thing off. The date that you want to remember is September nineteenth, nineteen sixty one, and that means that we are coming up on the sixty fifth anniversary of Betty and Barney Hill abduction, and Brent the thing that has always compelled me and why I believe Betty and Barney are such an important story just for ufology, but also just because they were the first, and that's what makes it exciting. So many firsts. It is a time where they were the first alien abduction to ever be claimed in the United States. There had been an abduction claim in nineteen fifty seven in Brazil Antonio vs. Boaz, but we're not talking about We're talking about Betty and Barney first one in the US. It was the first reported case of missing time. It was the first use of hypnotic regression to recover abduction memories. It was the first public description of what we now know is the Grays, and it was the first time a couple that ever experienced a simultaneous abduction. So this one had it all very compelling. Now, the thing about it that I think Bear's emphasis at this point is it's not like this was covered in the newspapers, all right. September twenty first, nineteen sixty one is when it happened to them, but it's not when it became public, which we'll get to. But first let's talk a little bit about what happened to them. There's two parts to the Betty and Barney story. It's like what they knew happened to them when they came home that night, and then there's a part that happens later when they have the hypnotic progression. I realize you're not an obsessed, a hill obsessive like myself. What do you remember about their story? If you think about it, what's your takeaway?
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 2: I really didn't know much about the case until we started writing Dark Skies, and that became the first actual case that Lowengard went and investigated in our Dark Sky's pilot, And it was through that research that I even came to know about the case. I think that the big takeaway for me was the concept of missing time, that they both had this experience together, and that one of the possible explanations was this idea of shared amnesia that they had both forgotten. Was it two weeks or no, I'm sorry, two hours of their lives?
Speaker 1: I think we should actually go back to the beginning, beginning then, because on September twenty first, nineteen sixty one, September nineteenth, rather, I believe yees September nineteenth, Betty and Barney had been married for a year. They're an interracial couple, all right. Yes, Barney is a black man married to a white woman in nineteen sixty one in New Hampshire where there's not a lot of black people anyway, but he was still involved with the NAACP. He had been married, she had been married. Before their marriage is ended, they got together, they got married. A year goes by. They're living in New Hampshire and they decide they should have a much delayed honeymoon, all right, So they go for the weekend to Montreal. That's their plan to go to Montreal and have a honeymoon. And they decide. While they're in Montreal, they hear news that there's going to be a weather disturbance. There might be some serious problems on the way back, so they decide to leave home early. So they're leaving the night of the nineteenth, of course, and they stop and have something to eat on the way down, and then they try to push on. They're going to push on from ten o'clock on. They're going to push on to home, and as they're driving along near Indian Head in the White Mountains, they see something and at first they think maybe it's a satellite, and then they or it's just lights. And then Betty, I think, is famously saying do satellites go backwards? Because this thing isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing. And they stop in the middle of the road because they want to look at this thing, and they get out binoculars that Barney had, and this is all conscious memory. None of this is miss time yet this is what they're experiencing. They see a flying saucer and it has a double row of windows, so they're seeing this now. Barney with his binoculars, puts it up and he's looking at this double row of windows and he sees beings looking back at him. Yes, okay, And that's even in our scene in Dark Skies where he says, I see beings looking back at me and it's crazy, Okay. Then they hear a buzzing sound, beep beep. That's my impersonation of it. I'm sure it was creepier and scarier, but that's where the thing happens. Now They find themselves after this beeping sound like thirty five miles away, I want to say, and a couple of hours have gone on by have gone hours, two hours of missing time. Think about that, but they don't really. They're like, did we fall asleep? They're just not quite sure what's gone on. So they press on and they get back to their home in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and they get back later than they're comfortable with. They thought that they would have been there earlier. And they realize that Betty's new dress is torn. That's weird. They realize that Barney's brand new shoes are scuffed terribly on the top of them. That's weird. They both feel kind of clammy and violated. I believe. They take showers. The next day, they get out a compass and go over their car and over the trunk. The compass is going wild, and there are marks half dollar sized round spots on the trunk. The car clock and their own watches have stopped. This is all what they're experiencing. They try to do the responsible thing. They call the peace Air Force base and report it and they I think it's Henderson. It's a Henderson who takes their report young guy. They also report it to the National Investigations Committee for Aerial Phenomenon. So that basically is what happens. And over the course of time after that, Betty is having dreams. She's waking up in the middle of the night, and her dreams are odd dreams, but they are basically describing something that is a sort of riff on the abduction thing, but their dreams. Yes, they put up with this for a while. And in fact that the thing I always found was profound is that Barney, who was a postal worker, is so disturbed by whatever happened to them that he ends up getting paid leave for his health well.
Speaker 2: Quite a while, like I think months, almost yeah, yeah, And I found it interesting too, and I think it's a significant part of ultimately the story. And what then finds its way into the movie was that Betty wrote down all of her dreams, almost like in a dream journal or something. So that was all something that was being referenced later, and.
Speaker 1: They drew pictures of what they saw separately and then compared them. They were disturbed. They told, of course Betty's sister about it, and so some people knew about it anyway. So this goes on for a while, and we're going to come back to another piece of that story. But if you move forward in the actual key story, it's February twenty second of nineteen sixty four, all right now that remember from September of sixty one to February of that's a little over two years, two years and four months or something like that. And at this point they are so disturbed that they have sought help and they have founded doctor Benjamin Simon, who is the guy that Acroyd wanted to play in this movie I had written. Okay, and they are hypnotized, and for people that have heard the hypnosis tapes, they are harrowing. Barney is screaming, Betty is crying, and they report a story that is now pretty well known, which is their cargets stopped. The beings walk them on to a landed craft. They get on. They are and it's not the purpose of this show, by the way, to go into the deep details. There are books out and there are lots of documentaries things like that for people that want to know more, but in essence print they go on board the craft and they're separated. Barney goes into one room, Betty goes into another room. Barney is a little more constrained. He is, actually the joke is not a joke to him. He has a rectal exam, he or some device of some kind. He also has some device placed over his junk and takes some kind of sample from that. Betty gets it a little bit better, although in a frightening way. She gets a needle that she describes as about yay long put through her belly button, which one of these creatures, these are the sort of the gray Light creatures, describes as being a pregnancy test, which, frankly, they did start doing pregnancy test am neocentesis through the belly, but not till the seventies, so nobody he'd never heard of this.
Speaker 2: A couple things to jump in here on a detail that when we were researching this for this episode that I wasn't aware of is I thought that Whitley Strieber was the first one to ever have the rectal exam, and it turns out no, it's Barney. Also, yes, they put something on his junk and then he had genital wartz yes for a while after that. So something happened clearly to them physically, mentally, emotionally, and it's one of the ironies that I find about the whole story is their reluctance to talk about it because UFOs were taboo, and yet they're an interracial couple, right right, And somehow UFOs were more taboo than being an interracial couple.
Speaker 1: So true. And now is where we get into the sound, light and frequency part of this little story, okay, because over the years skeptics have bent over backwards to try to figure out, how can we undermine this story, and they've come up with one and it has been floated several times over the years, and it goes back to Outer Limits, the TV show that was the compatriot to the Twilight Zone, only the Outer Limits had more aliens and was less metaphoric and less preachy, but was about scary monsters from outer space in many cases. Okay, and okay, I said, February twenty second, sixty four is when they first get regressed, and that goes on. But it was February twenty second. I guess what happened, And this is what people point out. On February tenth of sixty four, which is twelve days earlier, Outer Limits airs a show called The Balero Shield and the story tells something about a power hungry woman who traps a benevolent non human alien to steal his impenetrable force field. I tried to watch it the other night for this. Okay, yes, there is an alien that has some kind of wrap around eyes, but doesn't look like any gray I've seen it pretty bad. Have you ever tried to watch these Twilight Zones in recent time Outer Limits? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think interestingly, Twilight Zone holds up a little better because they were parables, and this felt like these were trying to be like cutting edge science fiction of the day. So yeah, particularly the alien part of this did not age well. Look, I found the whole thing, the whole story bizarre to begin with. It was interesting to me that the alien was depicted as benevolent and that the woman was the insane one, the one who ruined everything, and that her whole goal was trying to steal the alien technology because she was ambitious and she wanted to give it to her husband so that he could impress his father and make lots of money. And that set all of the events into motion. In terms of how the alien looked, I think if you showed it to me, now and you said, what does this look like, I'd say it looks like some sort of nuclear bomb mute and it did not look at all to me like an alien. And yet that's how it was depicted at the time. And you mentioned the wrap around eyes, and that's the connective tissue between the I think what people point to is the connective tissue is those wrap around eyes were part of how Betty and Barney described the aliens that they saw.
Speaker 1: So people are then trying to you know, the skeptics are saying, see, they must have got that. And in fact, just to complete the turn here, on February seventeenth, a week after the Balero Shield aired, there was one air called The Children of Spider County, which also has aliens in it. And so the skeptics would like you to believe that Barney and Betty somehow watched this Outer Limits, which they deny having seen. But let's say that they did and they didn't remember it, or their denial is wrong, whatever, I guess the question would be. Brent, let me just ask you this hypothetically. If I made you watch a couple of movies about serial killers and some TV series about serial killers, you think you'd go murder somebody. Do you think you'd talk about murdering somebody that you hadn't murdered while you were hypnotized.
Speaker 2: Considering how many movies I've seen about people getting murdered, I'm proud of the fact I have murdered no one.
Speaker 1: Yet I'm even more proud.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you, I know. But your point is well taken. I think just because maybe you did see an episode does not mean that in particular, I think the context is important here. You're an interracial couple, You're trying to fly below the radar. You're just trying to be happy and in love your newlyweds. Why on earth would you go and invent a story that brings so much negative attention to you? It just makes no sense. And that this would all possibly be spurred by consciously or subconsciously seeing an Outer Limits episode. Think about how ridiculous that sounds as I'm saying the.
Speaker 1: Words, and yet people have literally tried to make that connection. Okay, moving forward then, so we're just trying to say though there's an interrelationship, or at least people have tried to interrelate this. It's the UFO version of Chicken in the egg. Yes, right, okay, So bouncing forward over a year, the Boston Traveler, which is a newspaper in the Boston area, obviously, is the first to ever report the Betty and Barney case. This happens in October twenty fifth and twenty sixth of nineteen sixty five. All right, Now, the guy who wrote those articles, he's a guy named John Latrelle, and he was an investigative reporter and a damn good one. He had won awards, he had broken big stories, and he heard about the Betty in Barney Hills story. He chased the story like a good investigative reporter would, and they published that in late nineteen sixty five. But guess what, he's the forgotten man in this story, because what everybody else says is, oh no, it's that book, the Interrupted Journey, that is the one that's where their story went public. That happened a full year later. So I think one of the things that we can do here on this show is pay service and tribute to John Lattrell because he's the guy that broke the story. And in fact, my advocacy of John Lttrell goes back to I wrote a series of medium articles during the pandemic called the Lost Honeymoon by sort of investigation in the Betty and Barney thing. And the one thing I tried to do is write the history and make it clear that John Lttrell did this. And what's so interesting is because I started getting into that, Brent, there is a historical marker in New Hampshire on the Highway about Betty and Barney that I found had two fact errors in it because of my research and the Highway Department after I told him, I said, we're going to change the marker. Now I don't think they've changed it yet, but let me tell you what it does say. It says Betty and Barney Hill Incident. On the night of September nineteen to twenty, nineteen sixty one, Portsmouth, New Hampshire couple Betty and Barney Hill experienced a close encounter with an unidentified flying object and two hours of lost time while driving south on Route three near Lincoln. They filed an official Air Force Project Blue Book report of our brightly lit cigar shaped craft the next day, but were not public with their story until it was leaked in The Boston Traveler in nineteen sixty five. This was the first widely reported UF abduction report in the United States. Here are the two factors. Fact are number one, the idea that Betty and Barney Hill were not public with their story. It's just not true. How else would Jonathan Latrell have found it? Okay, they did not actively seek publicity, but that the idea that they were not public with their story is something that people with an interest in making Betty and Barney victims have conveniently ignored. But the truth is they told their story to numerous individuals as I would, frankly, if I'd been abducted, and if you'd been at you probably tell a few people about it. They told friends, They told their family, They told some of their neighbors. They had renters who were renting above them, they told them. They told a whole bunch of their church members where they were going to church about it. They told co workers. Betty she was a caseworker for the Welfare department, Barney was at the post office. They told people about it. Plus they filed two reports as we mentioned earlier, the US Air Force and Nightcap. They were certainly out there with their story. It was ripe for the picking for a reporter. So it wasn't like, as they said, they were not public with their story. Define public, okay. In fact Air number two, it says here their story was leaked in the Boston Traveler. The Boston Traveler did not leak the story of Betty and Barney Hill. The newspaper reported it. People leaked the newspapers. They'll call up a reporter and say, hey, I got some stuff that I'm going to leak to you. But newspapers don't leak. That's not what reporters do. They report. And there was nothing untoward about what this guy had done. So anyway, I pointed that out to this state of New Hampshire and they said they're going to change the thing because of it. So I don't know, I feel done, so thank you. There are so few things, and I hope they do change it, because I do think those two things are not accurate, and if we're going to be transparent about things, we've got to be transparent about Betty and Barney. And then, of course that takes us to the big book, The Interrupted Journey, which does come out a year after Latrell's work in October of sixty six, and it becomes the definitive public text of the case, and it is based heavily on these hypnosis tapes and interviews with the two of them, so allowed to bring this all together in October of sixty six. This is all happening, and this is important because the Interrupted Journey is going to become optioned as a movie. So this is all going to be part of that story and it becomes a gigantic story in the United States. Not because of that book. First, although the book was huge because it was excerpted in Look magazine at the time, right in October fourth, October eighteenth book Club. It was in the magazine a board of Flying Saucer. I remember this, to be honest with you, print because my mother read them and she turned to me and she was like, this is very strange because suddenly again this crossed over into the mainstream. Look and life couldn't be more mainstream, right and now, because we're talking about media, this one's kind of cool. Two months after those excerpts in Look magazine and the book coming out, Barney Hill appears on to tell the truth. This is a great moment in media history. Yes, you were such a young pup, you probably had no idea about the no idea. Here's how the it's a game show. They had a celebrity panel and they would bring three people out, and they did on this one. And in fact, if people want to see it, you can go to hollywoodufos dot com, which is our site, and you can go actually look at it. But three guys come out. Another guy is black, another guy is white, and all three of them go, my name is Barney Hill. My name is Barney Hill. My name is Barney Hill. So you got to three guys stand of Barney Hill. The celebrity people ask them questions and then they vote on who they think is Barney Hill. And then at the end of it, the host says, with a real Barney Hill, please stand up. Barney Hill was picked. They said, we think he's Barney Hill. They got it right. The real Barney Hill stood up because there was an authenticity to the guy.
Speaker 2: Talk about an interrupted journey. They went from being newlyweds to having the most like you said, probably the seminal abduction case at least in this country, happened to them and play out and go over years. I think one point I want to go back to for a second and correct me if I'm wrong. But when you were making the point that they shared the story with a lot of people, the story still had a two.
Speaker 3: Hour gap in it.
Speaker 2: They remembered what had happened up until this missing time, and they remembered what had happened after. But that was the thing, the piece that It wasn't until the hypnotic regressions years later that they started to really the whole story started to bloom as it were.
Speaker 1: Well, this is another place where you got to give Jonathan Latrell his props. Okay, Boston Traveler reporter Jonathan Latrell got hold of the tapes or the transcript of the tape. Now he knew about him, and they're in his report. Oh somebody, if anybody leaked anything, it was the tapes that were leaking, and it was who knows. I don't think we know. I don't have a knowledge personally of that right now, but I know that it's in the Boston Traveler thing. So in fact, and like I said, have you ever heard those tapes?
Speaker 4: I have not.
Speaker 1: They're frightening as all f I'm sure you're a fine actor, having gone been a theater student and all that, you couldn't have faked him. They're so good. Betty's hysterically crying, He's screaming in fear. Whatever. Okay, so now we've walked this through and here comes our pivot point that in this lovely little story that's going to pivot us into the Travis Walton case. All right, to tell the truth happens in December of sixty six. Okay, nine years later they make a movie about it and air it. Okay. The movie is called The UFO Incident. It's based on optioning the book. So again Latrelle gets screwed. He should have had he was the original guy. They should have optioned his book or somebody else should, I mean, his articles. But what's interesting about this is that Barney is played by James Earl Jones, right, And James Earl Jones was the guy that became fascinated with the case and fought and he had to fight some people off to get the rights to the book. He wanted to play Barney Hill and so.
Speaker 3: He does an amazing job.
Speaker 1: He does, and Estill Parsons is Betty. And all I would say about this is, Okay, they didn't have any money for this thing. They had the rights everything inside the ship is dark by design because they had a pretty flensy set. The aliens look pretty bad, right, But what's good, as you point out, is James Earl Jones and is still Parsons are pretty good. Honestly. I watched it again a couple of nights ago, Brent. It could be a stage play. Yes. To me.
Speaker 2: The big takeaway was yes, as a riveting piece of UFO cinema, it doesn't quite hold up. I think the performances are the standouts here, But you tell me the regression scenes, which are the heart and soul of the whole movie, where they keep coming cutting in and out of those as they're trying to tell the whole story. They were using the transcripts from the actual regressions, right, That's what was being re enacted, and those, like you said, were quite harrowing, but quite well performed. Those performances were very powerful. That's the reason I would recommend the movie.
Speaker 1: And again, hollywoodufos dot com, we'll take you to a link that allows you to watch it if you want. But here's where it gets interesting, and I love this little connection. The UFO Incident airs on NBC on October twentieth, nineteen seventy five. It's a TV movie, it's not a feature. Now, in nineteen seventy five, there are only three networks. There's not even Fox. You have ABC, NBC, and CBS. So when you're watching TV at night, back in nineteen seventy five, Brint, it didn't have a lot of options. You really watched, as I've always said, the least objectionable programming. You looked at the three things that were on, and the one that sucked the least is what you watched. So even something that people didn't like got a pretty healthy number. The number for something that was shunned by America would still be bigger than most shows today. Okay, but this was popular, so many Americans saw this movie on October twentieth at nineteen seventy five. Guess what. Travis Walton is abducted on November fifth, nineteen seventy five, and if you're doing the math, that is two weeks later. Okay, Now it raises questions because back then, to just refresh everybody's memory, Travis Walton was a woodcutter, okay, and he was working on a crew I believe of six people in the Pache Sitgreaves National Forest near Hebrew, Arizona, and they would go out and I believe they were thinning wood. And one night on the way home, they see a reddish light and they go over to investigate because they're in the middle of freaking nowhere. Okay, that's how they spent their days. And there's a there's no doubt about what they say they saw. They saw a craft, a giant metallic craft hovering and Travis Walton gets out of the car to get a better look. And he goes to look at this thing.
Speaker 3: Only one he's the only one that gets Everyone else.
Speaker 1: Is in the car going, holy shit, look at this and they're all afraid. But Travis goes out to look at this thing and he gets blasted by something when he looks, and then he tries to run back to the car, but he gets blasted in the chest by something from this craft that knocks him back. According to these guys, ten to twenty feet that's a pretty healthy blast. And you know what the guys in the car do. They split, they take off. They're freaking out. They think he's dead and they're going to be dead next so they take off. They get a little ways down the road, and one of the guys on the crew says, we can't leave Travis there. We've got to go back and get him. They go back to get him and he ain't there. He's not there, And for five days, Travis Walton is missing. He's gone, and the authorities believe these five guys have killed him. They're murder suspects. It's a great freaking story. And the reason I know it's a great freaking story is I was a extremely young radio reporter on the morning show at KZLFM in Eugene, Okay, where, to be honest with it was a hippie station, and I saw this stuff coming over the Zodiac News service and I started reading it. I wasn't there to cover it, but I started reading it, and I got so much interest from people who were like, oh my, you got to tell us more about that case. Everybody was following that case because it looked like a murder case. And in the middle of this murder case, they put everybody on light it detectors. And guess what those guys passed the light detector tests.
Speaker 3: Think yes, one of them was inconclusive.
Speaker 1: Well, because that guy had a criminal record apparently, and he wasn't eager to be light detected about much of anything, but in general, they all passed light detectors christ correct. Five days later, Travis Walton shows up at least, but in the movie he's naked. I don't think he was completely naked in real life.
Speaker 2: He had lost a lot of his clothes. I think in real life though.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, well that can happen when you're abducted. So what's fascinating about this story then, and why it fits into this chicken and Egg UFO thing is why because here's a guy that disappears, and yet his friends say there was a UFO that blasted him twenty feet back, and then he disappeared, but then he shows up again. All right, Travis and his friends all said, we never saw the UFO incident. We knew nothing about that. And look, I happen to believe Travis Walton's telling the Stone truth about what happened to him, because they passed the light detector tests and Travis passed them when you see back. Okay, so that's a pretty strong thing. Plus, you got even if Travis hadn't been abducted, you would have had this many people having a sighting of a UFO at the same time, all of who passed light to it. That would have made it a great sighting on its own if he hadn't been abducted. But skeptics will say, and I have to say, I think they might have a point here, which is, at that time, you got six guys going out to cut wood all day, They're having lunch together, they're driving up together, they're driving home together. There's only three networks in America. The UFO incident is two weeks earlier. I don't believe that they never spoke about that. I'm sure that they did. It just seems logical that out of six guys, one of them saw the UFO incident. And if you're out there cutting wood, you're going to talk about it now. I don't know, do you buy that or what is your take on.
Speaker 2: The way that I think about this group of guys. I could imagine that they it wouldn't have been on their radar. They would have treated it as ridiculous, I mean, like it was just Hollywood nonsense. So I think the other side of this argument is the one that's harder to imagine, which is, if you take all of the facts that you just laid out. Then you have to say, okay, so what happened was I think in actuality it was seven guys and in the movie they reduced it to five. So anyway, but Travis and his logger friends are out there and they come something happens, and they come up with a story that they all agree on and have enough of the facts correct that they can pass all of each of them lie detector tests. That is going to then when Travis comes back, he articulates the exact same story, so that they would have worked all of this out, would have put themselves through five days of misery where they are being accused of murder or at least investigated for murder, their friends and their family or everyone in town is looking at them like villains, and that this was all something they decided to bring upon themselves to create this hoax. It just it's a lot, a lot, Like it's a lot to imagine that I have a lot of guy friends. You put us all together, we can't agree on what bar to go to, right, So the idea that you could construct this whole elaborate story and stick to all the details when there was no apparent reason, like what's the positive outcome of this.
Speaker 1: The only positive that's ever been speculated about is the fact that they were behind on their contract to clear this wood, and because they were about to default on their contract. And again I don't I'm not an expert on these specific pieces, but the theory of the skeptics was so they made up this thing so that it was an act of God that got them out of their contract situation.
Speaker 2: So on that point, when we were researching this episode, I watched an interview with Travis Walton where they talked about the discrepancies between his experience and what's in the movie. And apparently they made a much bigger point in the movie about this idea that they were behind and they were going to lose their contract. He said, no, they were doing their work, and ultimately when all of this went down, someone else was brought in to do the work. It wasn't the big dramatic reason or motivation that people have made it out to be. So I think a lot of what people are basing that theory on is the movie, not the actual experience.
Speaker 1: Well let's get to that movie. One thing I just want to say, if you're the kind of person that wants to look somebody in the eyes and see if you think they're telling the truth or not. There's a brand new documentary out called The Experience. There's full disclosure by a friend of the show, Dean Alioto, who directed it and produced it, and it covers both. It's a great refresher course on both the Betty and Barney Hill case but also the Travis Walton case. And Travis is interviewed on camera, nice clean, clear shot recent Travis tells his story. You can look him in the eyes in HD and you can assess what you think. Now. I've met Travis multiple times, I've met him at UFO conferences, I've seen him interviewed again. I'm going to go with I believe him. But now let's get to this movie. Because the movie. Let's also just put a pin in this. This is a really interesting handoff. Not often does a movie that represents an earlier abduction get made two weeks before a second abduction happens. And granted, this could all be coincidence, it could all be synchronicity, it could all be the phenomenon playing with our minds. So I'm not making excuses one way or the other. But i am pointing it out. This is the strongest case that you could imagine for people wanting I don't buy the outer limits giving Betty and Barney any idea of what that would not cause them to have their hypnotic regressions that way, But I could buy the Travis thing. Okay, now let's be clear, he's not reporting just a gray aliens take. He does report some gray aliens, but then he gets away and he ends up in a hangar where he basically sets what looks like Nordic's Yes. Right, So this isn't going to be an important thing. After this UFO incident airs a couple of quick things. A couple of years later, Close Encounters gets released, and remember that's got a great abduction in it of the kid buried Guilder. I think something like that, yes, yeah, and so that's a harrowing abduction. In nineteen eighty one, Missing Time by Bud Hopkins gets released as a book, which is a fascinating book. Travis Walton writes his own book in nineteen seventy eight, the Walton Experience that gets published. Communion, as you mentioned, is published about ten years later. That's the one where Whitley Strieber puts the picture of the gray on the cover. That gets half a million people writing him saying I've seen that too. Communion gets released as a film in nineteen eighty nine. In nineteen ninety two, CBS has a limited series called Intruders that is based on another Bud Hopkins book. So my point is, abductions are out there in the zeitgeist at this point. People are talking about these two cases that might be real, but there's also movies going around at this point, and in fact, by the way, I wrote one of them, which we've talked about in previous things. Official Denial has abductions in it. That comes out in ninety three. The other thing, though, that comes out in ninety three is a movie called Fire in the Sky, and Fire in the Sky is the story of Travis Walton. Now you've seen the movie, how would you describe the film.
Speaker 2: It's a psychological thriller. It has certainly a science fiction component to it, but just in terms of the overall feel of it, it's a psychological thriller that's more like a small town crime drama.
Speaker 3: Because that's the bulk of the movie.
Speaker 2: And so it does have that section where Travis remembers what happened to him because he has a missing time circumstance as well, and then something triggers in all of his memories of what happened up on the ship during his abduction come back. But that's actually a very small, from a minute standpoint part of the film, so everything else feels very grounded in this small town murder investigation.
Speaker 1: James Garner is the sheriff that thinks they're all murdering live. It's a great cast, by the way, talk to nice, very nice. Robert Patrick plays really it becomes his story. He's the leader of the crew since Travis Walton is missing, played by dB Sweeney. dB Sweeney, Right, okay, however, Hollywood is about to come in and create another situation where you could say, chicken and egg. Why do we believe this instead of that? All right, you are so correct. Most of the film is just a good thriller. It's very nice, okay, But at some point dB Sweeney playing Travis Walton, remembers what happened to him. He's not regressed or anything, he just remembers it. And admittedly it's not the longest thing around, but it's about a five minute sequence all right on board the ship, and it is the most harrowing abduction I anybody that wants to see that just by itself, it is a great piece of filmmaking. It's so freaking scary. He wakes up and he's got this stuff around him. He's on this ship and it's dirty, and these evil, malicious gray are pulling him through the hallway and then they put him on a table and these doctors are just nasty ass They got they don't care what he's going through. They hold him down so that with some wrapping paper weirdness, and they've got just one of his eyes open. It's very similar to that Disclosure Day. The eye and Disclosure Day. It's frightening. Okay, here's the problem. It didn't happen that way. Yeah, and I know it didn't happen that way, and so is everybody now. But here's what really happened. We told you that Travis had a much different experience. He was not being dragged through dirty hallways. He was in a clean ship basically that had some Nordics and some other saucers in it, and he had an experience. But then that was that. Okay, Tracy Tormae is the screenwriter of it was. He was passionate about this, he wrote it. I knew Tracy for years. He's passed on a few years back. Tracy a passionate guy about this topic, etc. And he tried to get it right. He hung out with Travis. They spent a lot of time together. Tracy wrote a first draft that has the abduction sequence exactly as Travis remembered it. And guess what the executives said, Yeah, I just I don't think that's going to work. That's not quite right. It's got to be scarier. And Tracy told me, and he's said this in other instances as well, that what happened is he was presented Brent with a choice. Yeah, you can refuse to do it and stand on your higher ground and morality, or will fire you and will fire you, or you can do it. And so Tracy wrote that harrowing scene. It's a brilliant piece of filmmaking, but it ain't what happened. Now. The problem I think that this reveals is there are so many movies that have been made about abductions over the years, and like I said at the beginning, we could go do an entire show and still not cover all of them. There's so many. There's found footage business that the other thing. But this is a great example of adaptation changes things when you're adapting real things, and it doesn't apply only to UFO movies. You have to adapt, you have to make a better movie out of it. The movie that I'm behind right now, the Last Battle of the World War two movie is based on a New York Times bestseller, but I've had to adapt it. And so when people see that movie in the theaters and say, but that's not exactly what happened, I'm going to say, read the book if you want to know exactly what happened. And I guess that was paramount I believe made it. That was their point of view. But it really shows because now, of course there's a whole generation of people who never heard about Travis Walton's statements, never been to a conference, never saw a documentary where he told his story, only saw fire in the sky, and they think that's what happened to him. And so my question is does that then impact other people about either faking or misremembering their own abduction experiences.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's your take, It goes back to this recurring question chicken or an egg. You think about how many people did see Fire in the Sky when it first came out or on cable since then. The movie does have a reputation, And if that's what people think an abduction experience is, then how many people have reported some version of that abduction experience in the wake of that film.
Speaker 3: Probably a lot.
Speaker 2: And yet I would argue too that there's a lot of people that have very different abduction experiences. That it's a little bit like people reporting near death experiences.
Speaker 3: They're all over the place.
Speaker 2: But I think most people's perception of abduction experiences are negative. They're scary, you're treated like an animal, you're violated. All of those things I think are the keywords that you would have for abductions. One thing that came up that I was fascinated by ask myself how many real life stories? And granted I'm maybe taking some liberties there, but Travis presented in his telling of the story, this is what happened, and as you said, lie detector tests were passed, So let's take it at face value and say it was a real life story. How many real life abduction stories after Fire in the Sky have been made into movies. I think you'll find the number is almost none, And so it raises this interesting question. The only other abduction sequence that I think most people could remember is, as you said, going back to Close Encounters of the Third Kind, in the context of that movie, when you're watching it and that little boy is being abducted and the mother is from her point of view, you're trying to stop these things from getting in and taking your child. It's harrowing, but at the end of the day, they're just benevolent space brothers and they bring the kid back.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So that's a scary abduction story, But in the bigger picture, it's okay.
Speaker 1: With a lot of abduction things made for TV and film, but they weren't based on true things. So, for example, you and I did a TV series Dark Skies based on abductions. There's abductions in my official denial, there's abductions on X Files, there's abductions in Taken, the series Spielberg did. There's a lot of abductions. There's a lot of movies about abductions as well. But again, my passion has been I believe if we are entering a disclosure world right now, that the hunger for people is going to be to see less made up stories, more stories pulled out of history, which is my point. I'm so passionate about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, And that's and I think a story that has truth to it. Like you said, you watch Travis tell his story, and for me, I just I take him at face value. Maybe all of the details have gotten fuzzy over the years, but I've also seen things where over the years he's kept pretty close to his story. Being an experiencer myself, I know that when you have these details that're burned into your memory because it's in fact, you wish that you could get rid of them sometimes and you can't. So the fact that was one of the last, if not the last true story being presented to the public as an abduction. There's been many abduction cases that have come and gone since then, some very interesting and compelling, but Hollywood has not found the interest to tell any of those stories. Now, to Hollywood's defense, Fire in the Sky was not a huge success. Maybe in fact, it was too harrowing for people. Maybe that's a story people don't want to tell or don't want to experience.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Before we wrap this up, some of you may be wondering whatever happened to that Betty and Barney Hill movie that dan Aykroyd called me about in that phone message we played at the beginning of this show. Okay, it's a long story. Here's the short, short version. To start with, there was a screenplay I wrote immediately after leaving my gig as CEO of the Television Academy. And you should know that my wife Jackie helps me run my production company, Stellar Production. So she and I took that screenplay out and we found a very high level management team that wanted to produce it, all of which sounded promising until about a year into that relationship when they offered me a trade off. One of their producing clients would take it on and they were going to start with a new writer who would completely rewrite my script and probably without much input from me at all. So Jackie and I parted company with that team, and we turned down their very generous offer to fire myself from my own project. Instead of giving up, though, Jackie and I went to New Hampshire. We went to the locations in the White Mountains where the Hills had been abducted. We visited Betty and Barney's home in Portsmouth, a lot of things like that, and that's when I wrote this three part investigative series on medium called The Lost Honeymoon of Betty and Barney Hill. And at that point we were armed with the piece of IP or intellectual property, and the fact that we actually controlled it seemed like a good thing. So we made another run for it. And in the middle of all this, Dan Ackroyd and I met. He read the script, he loved it. He even wrote me a letter of intent stating that he would be very pleased to play the part of doctor Benjamin Simon. After that, we had a brief flirtation with another manager, this time an Australian who had just relocated to the US. She wanted to represent the project, but only if we changed the script in dramatic ways that would fit the way she felt about alien abductions. So, in other words, she wasn't a producer who could make it, and she wasn't a studio or a network who could buy it. But before she could even try to set it up or sell it, we would have to spend about three months doing her voluminous notes that we didn't even agree with another three second pass there. Eventually we made a new alliance with a different producer who was a very cool guy who worked his heart out. His biggest success, though, was finding a very high profile TV producer and I mean very eye profile who wanted to do it, and a buyer, a major, huge studio who wanted to make it. This felt very good to us, but they had only one condition before making an offer in order to move ahead. They said that a writer would have to take over the project and be guaranteed sole credit for the script. Now, I have always supported representation in the entertainment business, so I support people having access, but this just seemed like the wrong creative direction for a project about something as controversial as alien abduction. We had to pass on that. Jackie and I then cross developed the project from the feature version to also be a ten part limited series so that we had both our bases covered film and TV. And then we went on and attached new agents and managers and a director and a new very experienced producer to this sales effort. Things were looking good, and then because the universe apparently is a very strange place with a very strange sense of Humor. Two other high profile Betty and Barney Hill projects surfaced in the Hollywood trades, one right after the other. Now I'm not going to name these other projects, and I haven't read their scripts, but from what was written about them, it sounded like the way that they saw the Betty and Barney Hill story was very different than our own take. Those projects appeared to be skeptical, and as time has passed, I should point out nobody's made a Betty and Barney Hill movie yet, includes us, but also any other projects. So Jackie and I haven't given up, and in fact, we have new energy because our vision of the story is that Betty and Barney Hill were abducted period. We don't think they were victims of a psychological fugue state where they got their dreams confused during hypnosis. In fact, I would say, listen to those hypnosis tapes that you can find on the Internet and in documentaries, and they're enough for us that happened. And also, certainly Steven Spielberg's disclosure Day has put alien abduction back into the mainstream conversation. So I think there is room for a good, based on truth alien abduction story. So if Jackie and I are lucky enough to win the race to production. I would tell our new partners that there's one call I wanted to make right away, and it would be to Dan Ackroyd. I would want to tell him, Hey, Dan, I'm sending you the latest script and we want you to play the part of doctor Benjamin Simon. Brent. That's my Hollywood story. In brief back to.
Speaker 2: You, I think I would make the exact same creative choice that you've made. I think just being definitive, taking a stance is a completely legitimate way to tell a story. Interestingly, my belief in both of these cases comes from my own personal experience, and I think you look at the commonalities between their cases and mine. I told this on an earlier episode, but I had my own missing time gap, and it came in the wake of when John Harrington disclosed to me. And what's really fascinating about it is that I didn't realize I had a missing time gap until only a couple of years ago. And if you remember, the John Harrington story happened in nineteen eighty one, and when we were prepping for this podcast, someone said, what's it about? And I told them and I gave them a little snapshot of the John Harrington story, and at the end of it, they asked me question no one had ever asked before, which was, so, how was the rest of your trip in DC?
Speaker 3: Nothing? Zero?
Speaker 2: I don't remember one thing. I remember the night that I laid in bed after I was disclosed to and then I remember being home and going on a graduation trip that summer with vivid details, and I asked my family, and apparently we never really talked about it. Everything that I know about the trip I heard through my mom, through John's wife talking about all the great things that we did, and I just took it at face value. And now I'm as we've gone back and looked at the Betty and Barney Hill case, I'm actually sitting here thinking maybe I need to do a hypnotic regression, something that I never would have considered, to see if I can unearth that week or ten days or whatever it was that I spent in DC, and the idea and the frustration and the fact that I know it's possible to have a missing time gap when something traumatic happens to you. That's where I tend to look at both of these cases and say, something happened to them. People don't experience that level of trauma just out of their sheer imagination. Right, that would imply that I have a really scary dream and I'm traumatized to the point of not being able to work for months. Really, I've never really heard that happening before. So if it's just a product of my mind, I don't think it's that that severe that it would cause such disruption in people's lives. And both these cases, people's lives were greatly disrupted, turned upside down, lots of negative attention. And to go through that just because you invented it, I just don't buy it.
Speaker 1: And it either, although it raises a question about your missing time, which by the way, we should note would be longer than Travis Walton's five days. But it wasn't time though where you felt it and have on Earth. You weren't abducted into no craft. You just lost memory, which is a whole different kind of missing time too. It's almost like, I don't know, maybe MK ultra got hold of you and wiped your memory. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think that with both with the Betty and Barney Hill case, that if you look at it exclusively there was based on the hypnotic regression, it seemed that the aliens did not want them to remember, right, That was actually discussed. But the idea being is that something that's so traumatic happens to you, your brain just closes it off. It doesn't allow you to remember it. That's what seemed like what happened to Travis Walton when he came back. He didn't remember what happened until something spurred his memory and all of those the remembrances came flooding back into his mind. That's what I'm talking about is, yes, I was not abducted, but something so traumatic happened to me that I shut down. My brain just stopped remembering for a period of time for no reason whatsoever. And unlike both of these stories where eventually they got their memories back, I still.
Speaker 3: Don't have those memories back.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm saying now I have to actually consider what Betty and Barney did was go and have hypnotic regression and see if I can exhume any of that time that I spent in DC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's anomalous. I like your conclusion that because you are an experiencer, you are certainly more open to believing the stories of an experiencer. I'm going to put a slightly different twist on it, because that's all yours, and I can't comment on that because I'm not an experiencer. I've experienced the cover up, I have not experienced the phenomenia in that respect. Okay, here's the thing we've discussed, how Fire in the Sky presents an abduction thing that is harrowing, specific, and horrific. Okay, that happened, millions of people have seen it. However, people continually report abductions and experiences right now, and to the best of my knowledge, almost none of them, almost none of them report a Travis Walton fire in the Sky kind of situation. They report something else, but they don't report being dragged through dirty spaceships and wrapped in alien saran wrap. They do not report that, to the best of my knowledge. And I think it does go back to the whole serial killer thing. Just because you've seen something doesn't make you adapt and adopt if you will, that into your psyche and then spew it back out in harrowing hypnotic sessions. That's not the way things seem to have worked at the end of the day, Betty and Barney Hill were the first people to be abducted. It really happened to them. That's why the name of my film is Missing Time. That's why I want to tell their story, and because I believe it's true. But I also believe Travis Walton is telling the truth. And I will just say a kind word about Tracy Tormey, who's not with us any longer. But this man was thorough. He understood the Travis Walton case. He talked to everybody, he spent years of his life looking into it. And Tracy was not a guy that believed everything. You could tell Tracy a story and Tracy would take me aside and go, I don't think you can believe that because blah blah blah. He would investigate things. He investigated Travis Walton. He believed him. And if my buddy Tracy believed him, I believe him. So I think these are two great cases. And if you're studying the experiencer situation today, they are the trailhead that's where we really get this thing going. And if they happened, Brent, you have to ask yourself, what does that mean. If they were the first when things were just kicking off. Where are we now? It's been sixty five years since Betty and Barney whoever was taking people and appears to still be doing it to a certain extent. What are they up to? Shouldn't they be done by now? What are they doing?
Speaker 2: Those are great questions you're asking, and I can only hope that's going to be part of this disclosure we've been promised by the administration.
Speaker 1: All Right, look, let's say good night, but also tip of the hat to Dan Ackroyd. Dan, thank you for your good graciousness and letting us play the phone message because it gives everybody a smile on their face and we appreciate everything that you have done to move this story forward. So thank you, dan Ackroyd.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you Dan. All Right, Watch this, guys, everybody.
Speaker 1: Sound, Light and Frequency is an iHeart podcast produced by Stellar Productions. It's executive produced by Nick Johnson and for Stellar Jackie's Abel. Our show's music was written by Anna Stumf and Hamilton Life eight Houser and your hosts and executive producers are Bryce Able. That's me and Brent Friedman. Watch the Skies