Speaker 1: From Marhart where Innovation, Money and power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed loved Love.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Bloomberg Technology. I'm Caroline Hyde live from New York and.
Speaker 3: I'm Ed Loudlow in San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Coming up.
Speaker 2: We are looking at hedge fund exposure to technology.
Speaker 4: It's hitting a record high.
Speaker 2: We get to the Outlook for Tech investing from Kristina Clark Barclay's Plus.
Speaker 3: We hear from YouTube CEO Neil Mohen on his plans to make the video platform even bigger, and we sit down with.
Speaker 4: The CEO of Ring for her first broadcast.
Speaker 2: Interview as a connected camera company gets a new mission statement.
Speaker 4: But Ed first, we check in on.
Speaker 2: These markets and we are struggling with a macropacked picture right now. We've course seeing a wall of money coming well from a supply side to the bond market. We have a big auction for the seven year debt. We're seeing forty four billion dollars. And remember auction appetite just wasn't that great for the last.
Speaker 4: Couple of days.
Speaker 2: So we're seeing Nasdaq just being pulled down as yields push higher, the sucks that sounder in Europe also down by a percentage point.
Speaker 4: It's notable though that.
Speaker 2: Nasdaq is boiltcing off of its lows. We're off down just three tenths of a percent. It's actually the best performing major benchmark here in the United States. So there's really other industry groups that runder pressure today. And as they say that seven year yield just picking up some five basis points four point six to two. We're seeing the longer end sell off harder move on though, And I want to give us the risk appetite a choice. When it comes to the tech world, Crypto also under pressure a little bit today. Bitcoin just to the downside, but not by March only a percentage point that we're sixty seven five hundred is currently where we trade. But look, there are some cautious sentiment out there at the moment. Ed what are you looking at them?
Speaker 4: On the micro So I'm looking.
Speaker 3: At the US listed share of BYD the ev maker. It's actually a pretty big story coming out of China. They have announced a hybrid drive train that is capable of doing more than twelve hundred miles or two thousand kilometers on a single charge or single fill of the tank. It's a hybrid drive train, and it's really continued to boost BYD's US listed shares. It's got a lot of people talking on social media. Check out Bloombo's coverage out of Hong Kong and learn more about what byd is doing. The other big mover here in the United States is Apple. Apple up more than a percentage point for most of the session. WWDC invites went out yesterday, I got mine. But the big news is also out of China. A court in China has dismissed the case against Apple that a consumer had brought on the issue of app store fees and commissions, and in app fees and commissions. Later in the program, we're going to go to Bloombo's Mark German. It might sound like a familiar story because it's happening here in the United States too, this time the China side of that discussion.
Speaker 2: Caroline, Yeah, and just all of this in a picture of how big tech bohemos have been doing and performing at the moment. We know Apple's been under pressure for the last couple of months beginning of this year. Really, but hedge Fund's positioning more broadly, the exposure to US tech bohemos is we just had a new record high and of course that's downto in video in many ways, it's strong earnings report last week.
Speaker 4: It's all according to gorm Sexs Prime brokerage.
Speaker 2: Their report is also saying that the so called Magnificent seven is now accounting close to twenty one percent of Hedge Fund's total net exposure to US single stocks.
Speaker 4: We want to get a sentiment check on.
Speaker 2: Big tech, on allocation and on companies going public. Kristin Roth de Clark is with US Global head of Technology Investment Banking at Barclay's, and you have so much wealth of experience and expertise within the investment banking market within technology in particular focus. You look at companies looking and I in going public. But what is ultimately the sentiment of access to growth companies in the US right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Look, there's been a real deretha of opportunity to invent in growth tech in the public markets. If you look just at the five hundred or so companies tech companies that are public right now that are two billion dollar market cap or more, there are only less than thirty that are growing that have grown thirty percent in the last year, and so the opportunity to invest in growth isn't really there necessarily in the public market. Their bid for IPOs is there from the investor side, but we haven't seen that translate into much activity this year, partially because of the rate environment and investors' corporates are looking more to twenty twenty five as a year of optimism, I think in the new issue market.
Speaker 2: And we add that context of the day with yields just pushing higher for longer, whether it's in Europe as well. We see German bond yields pushing higher as it looks like inflation is hard to curtail. But is it just the rate environment? Is there also element of political issues? Is that why twenty twenty five is going to really be the year to come?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think at this point a lot of issuers are saying, you know, twenty twenty five will get through the election cycles, will get you to a place where we hopefully start to see rates come back down, so to kind of there are some issuers coming out in twenty twenty four and certainly getting a lot of attention from investors, but there's more optimism I think in twenty twenty five, and that's true for both growth companies but also super profitable businesses Inside private equity, A lot of the private equity firms are opting to do private minority stake sales to establish marks and get a little bit of liquidity instead of going to the IPO market.
Speaker 6: This year, christin good morning. Hello.
Speaker 3: I hear from a lot of founders, a lot of CEOs, a lot of people right now that are much more open minded to doing some M and A or even going private.
Speaker 6: Why is that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, take private activities increased significantly this year. It's up fifty percent in the tech industry from last year. Part of that is is an acceptance of kind of where we are from a valuation standpoint, But the other part is on the financing side. The last couple of years, the financing for LBOs have been driven by the direct lenders in the private credit market. We're now starting to see some of the more traditional funding sources in the broadly syndicated market available as well.
Speaker 3: Convertible issuance is interesting, take my word for it, it's interesting. One case study out this morning is Lenovo doing an arrangement with Saudi Arabia through one of its investment firms on very favorable terms.
Speaker 6: But it's also kind of a quid pro.
Speaker 3: Quo right where there's the financing side of it that Lenovo has to set up an R and D facility in that country.
Speaker 6: I've heard it elsewhere.
Speaker 3: In fact, I've heard of shareholders selling out of the stock buying up convertible notes in the same name.
Speaker 6: What are you seeing in that market?
Speaker 5: Well, the convertible market I think will be pretty active this year. There are a couple of interesting things that have changed with this higher for longer sentiment. One in particular is that we're now seeing issuers refinance floating rate debt with convertibles and they're saving up to fifty percent in interest expense with premiums that are one hundred percent, you know, So it's it makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 4: For some of these large cap issuers.
Speaker 5: The other thing we're seeing in the convertible market is large cap issuers doing a convert to repurchase shares, and so I think that the convert activity will only increase meaningfully this year, especially in this environment.
Speaker 2: Isn't it interesting that, ultimately, at a time where markets go from record high to record high there's less and less access to getting into the public market, and so much of the enthusiasm we talk about on a daily basis is in the private markets. There's also a lot of talk around M and A and I'm interested as to what you're anticipating there from.
Speaker 4: Even fewer publicly traded companies going forward.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so the take privates we've talked about, I think that we've also seen an increase in strategic activity in a meaningful way, and we'll continue to see that throughout the balance of the year. And then some of the smaller M and A that's happening tends to be a little you know, some of these early stage AI technology businesses, but they're scaling very rapidly, so that could over the next twelve, eighteen, twenty four months mean much larger scale M and A and adding to this already massive IPO backlog.
Speaker 3: Kristen, for all of the growth stage technology companies out there that are watching the show right now, be it the founders or staff, what's a good reason to go public? What is a good motivation to list your company?
Speaker 5: Well, the biggest reason right now the companies are opting to go public tends to be employee liquidity, you know, being private for a number of years, giving their employees an opportunity to start to find wealth in a publicly traded stock, or to validate a technology or the staying power of a private company. Some companies opt to go public because their customers are worried they're not going to be around, are not going to have long term funding, and so they, you know, from a reputational standpoint, want to be public. And the last is probably you know, the investors looking for liquidity, and again private equity is I think there will be a number of IPOs that come out over the next couple of years because we haven't seen a lot of activity out of private equity and returning capital to LPs. But right now they're you know, for the most part, finding liquidity in the private market more appealing than the IPO market, although we're seeing some really attractive assets coming public, just in a more limited basis.
Speaker 3: Kristin Roth to Clark Global Head of Technology Investment Banking. Above is terrific way to start the program. Thank you so much. We'll like to continue the conversation on the tech IPO landscape later in the hour with Eric Hippo of lera hippo. Really interesting conversation, interesting person, another interesting person, don't want to miss are coming up. In the first instance, we're going to hear from YouTube CEO Neil Mohen on the company's plans for expansion.
Speaker 6: Caroline some shares, some shares in.
Speaker 4: The public trading market that are still available.
Speaker 2: Salesforce absolutely just seeing it up about six tens percent.
Speaker 4: Unlike the rest of the market, we're higher.
Speaker 2: We are anticipating their earnings after the bell reporting their fiscal first quarter earnings.
Speaker 4: Look, how much are we able to see data.
Speaker 2: Cloud, which obviously helps organize corporate data for analytics for the all important AI space. How much is that going to help with their focus on margins as well?
Speaker 4: This is a Bluebogo technology.
Speaker 3: How YouTube became must watch TV. That's the latest episode of the Circuit where Bloomberger Regional's host Emily Chang sits down with YouTube CEO Neil Mohen about transforming the platform into the world's biggest streamer.
Speaker 7: To this, YouTube's really kind of its own sort of unique thing. We're not a social media platform, we're not traditional media in the sense, we're not linear television. We're really sort of our own thing. And so if we live up to that vision, we think we're really still in the early days of our growth story and fulfilling what our mission is, which is to give everyone a voice and show them the world.
Speaker 8: Based on Nielsen's latest data, YouTube is now by far the biggest streamer in the world, Netflix close behind, and then everybody else drops way down who Disney Max. But you don't get the awards or the critical acclaim. What more does YouTube have to prove?
Speaker 7: I do think that YouTube is getting recognized as that platform on television screens. We just surpassed a billion hours of watch time on living room screens, and you mentioned the Nielsen ratings. That is certainly something that when I speak to our advertising partner, the brands that look to build connections with consumers on our platform, they recognize that and they they see it as a place not just of this broad reach, you know, the number one streaming platform here in the US, but also reach that is engaged and from a brand's perspective, that is something that they are really recognizing. Like I said, it's still the early days of our journey, but I do start to hear that more and more from our partners.
Speaker 8: YouTube is printing money for Google, as I understand it, upwards of fifteen billion dollars a year. Where will the future revenue growth come from. Talk to us about that strategy and how it will play in.
Speaker 7: If you think about YouTube today compared to what YouTube was five years ago or certainly ten years ago, there are an order of magnitude more creators on our platform. We have a breadth of monetization offerings to support this creator economy, not just ads, but subscription business. You know that was the fifteen billion dollars subscription business across all of Google, but also direct to fan funding like channel memberships and things like that. So there's an enormous amount of scale and complexity in the ecosystem that requires us to rethink how we're going to support that creator ecosystem.
Speaker 2: YouTube CEO Neil Maan, along with Bloomberg's Emini Chang. You can catch the full episode of The Circuit tonight six pm right.
Speaker 4: Here on Blomberg Television.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about open AI because Helen Toner is a former board member of open ai and has actually said that the board didn't know about the original twenty twenty two launch of chat CBT until afterwards and that they only found out about it on well Twitter or x. Let's bring in Bloomberg's Seth Figman for more on what seems to be more.
Speaker 4: Discussion in the press coming from Helen Toner.
Speaker 2: She'd already written a piece with Tash as well another previous board member, about some of their worries about AI governance.
Speaker 4: This keeps building.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean it's remarkable. I have a former board member who's just going rogue at this point and really bashing the company, or at least its current leadership. The claim about Chatchibt is remarkable. Here's their biggest, best known product them they're saying that the Borg had no previous awareness that it was going to be launched. Now there's a caveat there. When they released this product, it was kind of a slow burn. Initially, people didn't know it was going to be as big as it became. But the bigger takeaway from this piece is that she's really gegging at the idea that there was a long series of times where they were either misinformed, uninformed, or felt like they were being manipulated by Sam Altman. And for months now it's been a guessing game in and out of Silicon Valley. What Precipititikea the ouster last year. This is really the most that we've seen so far that gets at that question.
Speaker 3: Seth As you know, I remember the weekend as Sam Outman's Ousta Helen Tona didn't pick up the phone.
Speaker 6: She hadn't had much to say.
Speaker 3: Then in the last twenty four hours or forty eight hours, she's had quite a lot to say. But the issue is the relationship with Sam. See something Sam Oltman told Bloomberg last year.
Speaker 8: Have listen, you have an incredible amount of power at this moment in time. Why should we trust you?
Speaker 10: You shouldn't, I think at this moment in time, like people deserve basically as much time asking questions as they want, and I'm trying to show up and do it. But more to that, like no one person should be trusted here. I don't have super voting shares, like I don't want them.
Speaker 6: The board can fire me. I think that's important.
Speaker 3: So at its route, there's Sam Altman pushing to commercialize the technology, and then there's different iterations of the board who seem unaware.
Speaker 6: I don't really know where to go next with that.
Speaker 9: Well, you're right again, it's pretty remarkable. I think there's been a drip drip from Helen. She's become a little bit more comfortable being public about her concerns. You're right, For months, we really couldn't get much detail. What we've heard was essentially that there was a long simmering build up of mistrust and miscommunication, and in her latest statements we're seeing a little bit more on that.
Speaker 2: The current context is that you can't trust Sam when it comes to discussions with celebrities when it comes to that, ultimately is what people are now realizing, rightly or wrongly. What was cast into the public discourse has of course been Scarlett Johnson and the calls or what time they happened, and AI really trying to just lay out the order of a currency of when they discussed using the voice at Scarlett u Hansson and when they're already talked to actors and actresses.
Speaker 4: But there is a feeling of distrust.
Speaker 9: Going I think so I think they're taking pains now go to be as transparent as they can be. What's funny is that for all of the tension that they've have at board members never cross a famous actress. I think that's where you're going to really lose the public.
Speaker 2: Seth Fiegerman. We'll see what the next response is from open Ai. Amid all of this, we thank him for walking us through it. Meanwhile, open Ai has actually got some competition, you know it, and one of them is from Francis mistral Ai, which has launched in early twenty twenty three as a European rival, but it's now eyeing.
Speaker 4: The United States.
Speaker 2: We're going in Blomberg's Matt Berg and for more and they're hiring a key member of talent, right.
Speaker 11: So this has been a major hire. And this is a really closely watched start up here in Europe, and there's really no precedence for company aside from maybe Spotify having becoming a global technology success out of Europe, and that seems to be ambision of Mistro at least that's what their investors are signaling.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 11: There's reports that that in probably a less than fourteen months, they've now gone from zero to a company worth six billion, and so there's a lot of expectations and a pretty high evaluation they have to meet.
Speaker 3: Mark give me a sense of mistrual size and scale, Like we report on them a lot they're a little bit shy. They've been regulatory focuses in Europe. Tell me about the basics.
Speaker 11: Yes, the basics are pretty small.
Speaker 6: That's sort of thing that I mean.
Speaker 11: I think that from my sense it's probably a team of maybe around fifty at this point. I mean, it could be a little biggeran that, but but you know there, that's sort of their mo is that we are leaner, We're building these smaller, more agile AI models. They're open source. They're very at this point very close to the French government in a sense that one of their co founders and it's kind of their policy chief is the prior French Digital minister. Macrone has talked about supporting them. Last week I gave this really interesting comments about how he preferred that they would grow big on their own and remain independent. The sort of subtext there was, don't sell to a big tech American firm.
Speaker 6: The bag Smartberg in terrific reporting out of Yurope. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to BLIEMBG Technology. Ed Ludlow in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: I'm callin hid in New York.
Speaker 2: Quick check on your markets today because we are more and about born costs bonields rising. That's dragging some of the stock markets lower. Ashley the NASDA and then as that one hundred outperforming other key US benchmarks, but we are lower by four tens percent on the big tech benchmark of the nas that one hundred tenure yield as a thirtyer yield across the board. In fact, we're seeing born costs rising as we have another big auction forty four billion dollars a.
Speaker 4: Seven year deck coming.
Speaker 2: Will there be not as much demand as was hoped like we've seen in the previous two auctions. We're up six basis points bitcoin. On the downside, we're off by nine tens percent sixty seven thousand. Moving on though, as we try to mark through what is a slight tempering of risk appetite. The socks is one of the ones that underperforms the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index off by one and a half percent. Every single chip maker down, but that's because they've been rallying so hard in previous weeks.
Speaker 4: Maybe we've got a little bit of profit taking going on.
Speaker 2: Certainly the case for the Maderna, we're off by almost five percent, had a horrible day yesterday, but that's after it had a record winning streak of ten straight days of gains profit taking. This is a company also injecting generator of AI throughout its focus on healthcare. We're looking at Amazon actually one of the outperformers on the day. We're up three quarters of percent. Nice little headline there that they're once again expanding their partnership deal with Germany's sap SO. A key focus there on the power of generative AI coming into bedrock and aws more broadly.
Speaker 4: And then we've got more on Amazon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 3: For years the Amazon unit, Ring touted its crime fighting features thanks to its selling smart doorbells that let homeowners remotely monitor their residences. But today the kind of footage Ring users share is less about suspicious activity and more about pets or wild animal sightings and water balloon fights. And it's all part of how Ring is trying to reinvent itself, aiming for more of a mashup between something akin to Nextdoor or even TikTok.
Speaker 6: Here to discuss the why is.
Speaker 3: Ring CEO Liz hammern in actually the first sort of sit down interview since you've been CEO. Actually, you and I met almost one year to the day you are one year in this role. The best place to start is probably why a new mission? What prompted you to say, Okay, Ring's got to be a different company.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, our new mission was really prompted by my last year of going out and talking to our customers and talking to our employees and seeing how people were using our cameras. And one of the things that we found is that while our mission around safety and security is still very relevant, people use these cameras to feel safe and secure, but they were also using them for so much more for convenience. Did my packages arrive for presence and control? How busy is my small business? Do I need to send more staff or a connection? People do love to watch their pets with their Ring cameras, and we were finding as we were building new products that their mission was limiting and just too narrow. And so our new mission is just more expansive for how people use our products and how we want to build products.
Speaker 3: The expensive part is interesting. Full disclosure. We are a Ring family. You know, often when my father in law's here in San Francisco, he's worrying about whatever's going on at home down in Socow. He consults his phone to check it on ring these new areas, do you see sort of a meaningful split or even can you give me a proportion of what sales you think are driven by security versus I guess what is social interaction?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 12: I think that it's about, you know, why do I buy and then how do I use it? And a lot of white people buy is they want to be connected to their homes. Their homes one of their most valuable assets. They want to see what's going on, They want to feel safe and secure. But what they find is there's any number of convenience features to using it.
Speaker 4: I suspect that what.
Speaker 12: Your father shows you is not just security in safety features, but funny things that happen at home, or surprising weather, or any number of things that make you connected to your home or small business.
Speaker 2: That connection is allowing you to well make some revenue, drive twenty dollars a month subscription and you now are aiming and have attained profitability.
Speaker 4: Is that sustainable?
Speaker 12: Is yes?
Speaker 4: I believe so.
Speaker 12: I think this is actually just the beginning of you know, significant continued significant business growth. You know, last year we grew double digits, and where we see continued continued growth here, especially as we think about Ring really being a video service company. When people talk to you about their Ring cameras and they're not showing you their camera as iconic, you know, as our hardware is, they're showing you video on your phone, and that video service is incredibly valuable, and as we invest in computer vision and AI to make it even more valuable, we think the business will continue to be profitable and grow.
Speaker 2: Lizio expertise has been in the world of connected cameras. You came from dot Com, You've got a lot of business expertise.
Speaker 4: Prior to joining and leading Ring. Was now the moment to turn on the money pipeline?
Speaker 2: Or is it more where Amazon is within a focus on profitability rather than growth at all costs.
Speaker 12: You know, I think that I'm not sure I would would think about it as is it this binary decision? I mean, the business is very healthy, and the natural course of this business is to be profitable based on the size of the business and the customer demand. And frankly, the vast majority of our customers subscribe to our subscription service and that is a big driver of our business health.
Speaker 6: It's an interesting time.
Speaker 3: Amazon Panos Panais come in to lead the Devices and Services group broadly, how has your relationship been with him and how do you work together because there's a lot of I guess interruptibility between Ring the Amazon ecosystem.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, well Panas and I actually work together back in my days at Microsoft. So it's awesome to have to have him leading Devices and Services for Amazon. And you know, we work together to ensure that all of our products work together. And so you know, many customers connect their Ring cameras to Alexa, and about a third of our doorbell customers actually use an Echo device as their time.
Speaker 3: It's competitive, you know, I get advertisements all the time for other similar camera based technologies. What would you say is rings point of differentiation technologically speaking?
Speaker 6: What is it that you are doing better or at a higher level than the others?
Speaker 12: Well, I think it's a combination of our software and our hardware. But really the differentiation is in software. And as you point out, there's lots of cameras on the market, but what makes them unique is really how the software takes advantage of the hardware capabilities.
Speaker 2: I'm so looking at this footage is hilarious. This guy trying to scare this bear off through different camera And I've actually watched many friends trying to be terrified about squirrel inside their house due to some sort of camera. What's so interesting is you oversee other parts as well. There's Blink camera, there's Key in home delivery services that you're saying, and people using these sorts of technologies for efficiency and for knowing when you've got deliveries sidewalk wireless network or miss a meshweb network.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 2: You're not going to the world of thermostats and other connected areas in your part of business, are you, Liz, Because for me, that's a differentiation the Google.
Speaker 4: Office, for example, in nest so for.
Speaker 12: Rings specifically and Blink and the areas that I oversee. We're really focused on this notion of understanding what's going on at your homer business and then with Key providing access to it. And so although those products are interesting, they're not they don't really fit with our mission of keeping people close to what's important. And so I think we're just really focused on the products that do that, and I think we're pretty busy and full just fulfilling on that mission.
Speaker 3: Alice, the director in New York, is going to bring up that footage of the bear again.
Speaker 6: I see that all the time.
Speaker 3: I see images just like those, what are those wild bore or something squirrel fantastic, But I see them on TikTok and I see them on Instagram reels.
Speaker 6: That's where the content is shared.
Speaker 3: So how does Ring derive a benefit from the enthusiasm of the customer who then takes it and shares it elsewhere.
Speaker 4: Well, I think in two ways.
Speaker 12: One is our customers to feel like they get a lot of value out of their products, and one of those values is being able to download videos and share them however they would like. And then it also drives awareness of the products. So people who maybe aren't yet Ring customers see those videos and think, oh, I really want to make sure I can stay connected to my home.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like marketing, you know, through through social and it's like ownership spreading the word like Tesla does with its evs. I find that all Raccoon Ring CEO Liz hammern it's just fantastic to finally get you on the show one year into the job.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much, Car. You've got some other news headlines.
Speaker 2: I too, what a great conversation, but it's time for talking tech now and first up, Nobel Laureate Paul Roma issuing warning about artificial intelligence speaking to Blue MEGDV in Hong Kong. The economics professor Liken sy Ai market run to the crypto hype mubble.
Speaker 4: Take a listen right now.
Speaker 13: There's way too much confidence about the future trajectory of AI. Would people project this forward? I think they're at risk of making a very serious mistake. We've benefited from skilled scaling up compute and ingesting a whole lot of data. Scaling up computes pretty easy. It's just war machines, more chips. But what's going to happen is we're not going to have enough data.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, talking of hyper not around AI. The US and UK arms of accounting firm PwC. They're set to start selling open ai products directly to clients, and the agreement will allow PwC to become the first reseller of chatchpt enterprise products geared towards business use.
Speaker 4: In terms of the deal, we're not disclosed.
Speaker 2: And a lawsuit challenging webscraping practices of open Ai and Microsoft has been dismissed.
Speaker 4: By a federal judge in California.
Speaker 2: The complaint accused open Ai and Microsoft of violating property and privacy laws by stealing data to train AI systems. Now, the judge slam the attorneys who file the complaints for being excessively long and meandering, calling the suit quote unnecessary.
Speaker 4: And distracting youan while.
Speaker 2: Coming up, we'll talk about the state of the US IPO market.
Speaker 4: Leric Hippo of.
Speaker 2: Lere Hippo coming up next, this Bluemo technology. We talked about a little bit earlier the lack of IPOs in the market, and in a recent op ed Lara Hippo managing partner, Eric Hippo argues, then the number of public US companies is plumitting, and that's bad news for the democratic component of the economy, saying exit opportunities, they're critical to the promise of American innovation and neglecting them or their collective detriment and polase to say, we're welcoming to the show now, Lara Hippo managing partner, Eric, as you helped write that out and now thinking about broadening out the conversation. You articulate why it's bad for want to be investors and indeed for future growth and financial benefits to many, Eric, But why is this happening from your perspective.
Speaker 1: Well, it's happening mostly due to regulations, so that's the number one factor. Number two factor is that companies are choosing to stay private longer because there's more private capital. It's a bit of a conundrum because obviously all of this private capital is expecting an exit at some point, which is likely to be the public markets. So we used to have eight thousand public companies back in the nineties. We are down to less than four thousand at this phase. We'll be down to two thousand in another twenty years. Two thousand is about the size of the London Stock Exchange, which by the way, went from four thousand to two thousand. So our stock exchanges are shrinking, not in terms of valuations, but in terms of the number of public companies, meaning that the remaining companies have higher and higher market capitalizations and it's very difficult for young, innovative, growing companies to go public.
Speaker 3: Can we think about this, Eric, through the lens of a case study, If you don't mind, I think about Elon Musk Inc. You know, he's documented the challenges of being a public company CEO of Tesla, and if you, by comparison, look at his private companies SpaceX, xai X, the company formerly known as Twitter. Many would argue that he's able to innovate with more freedom because he's free of the responsibility or scrutiny or even the transparency required of being a public company. What would your response be to that case study? In that line of argument, I would say.
Speaker 1: That Elon is pretty distinct and remarkable by himself, and that he's been able to raise billions of dollars in the private market for his companies and stay private a lot longer. This is not within the reach of most most private companies. Most private companies are able to raise you know, in the tens of millions or hundreds of millions at most, but to have access to billion dollars two billion dollars in capitalization, you need the public market for this. So when when when Elon's company these go public, they're already pretty substantial companies, and so that's not the norm.
Speaker 6: The norm.
Speaker 1: What we're looking for is the ability to have public companies being capitalized around one to five billion dollars. That's where there is almost no IPOs and this is where this is kind of the point of entry. If you let's take the example of n Video and Video went public in the late nineteen nineties at a market cap of about six hundred million dollars and thet's say that that's about the billion dollars in today's money. That company now is worth almost three trillion dollars. So a remarkable rise and a lot of a lot of the public shareholders, the people who were able to buy those shares in the early days that have become if they kept them, have become very, very rich. That's the kind that's the kind of momentum that we're looking for.
Speaker 2: But therefore, if it's regulation that stifled, it is it less regulation that's needed. And therefore, how do you protect an investor base with less regulation.
Speaker 1: Well, it's going to be judicious regulation, you know. The the the tipping point really was the Sobbing Socksley Act of two thousand and two. A lot of smaller public companies were forced to either dealist or merge or go or go private given the burdens imposed by the by socks By that but that particular act, So this, in my mind, this needs to be reviewed. Do we really need all of these controls or these internal controls. You know, we're assuming, we're kind of assuming that people go public, are have something to hide, have have you know, bad intentions of sorts. We need to go back to uh, you know a place where we we we allowed uh capitalism.
Speaker 3: Yes, Eric, I just were pushed back on that slightly. I mean, one reason that it's such a privilege to host this show, Caroline, is that we come across all kinds of founders who dream of taking their technology startup public because of the prestige or because it gives their staff liquidity, who may be long serving. You know, in many instances that that's the dream, and it's still intact. You know, you're an investor and you're part of this ecosystem. Do you not recognize that still being a part of the dream.
Speaker 6: Very much so.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's in some cases almost their only dream, right, that's that's your exit. So if you let's take a typical company in a private portfolio of Cetera's mind. Company does one hundred million dollars in annual recurring revenues, you know, has a grows thirty to fifty percent a year, has ibidah of about you know, twenty million dollars. Again, I'm using a general case, and they want to go public, So what's going to happen? They the cost of going public is going to cost them ten to fifty million dollars a year, right, so that's over half of their abida. So suddenly the valuation that they might command in the public market is way then it should be as a result of this. So there's plenty of companies in that situation who are would like to go public. They're they've been in business for ten years or more. There their employees need that liquidity for their for their own equity, but it's not really possible for them to do so.
Speaker 3: Eric Hippo, Managing partner Larry Hippo. I can say with certainly that Caroline and I both followerly enjoyed that conversation.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: The Chinese court dismissed the case filed by a local consumer against Apple's commission and fees for purchases via its app store, granting the US company some reprieve as it faces growing scrutiny around the world over its practices.
Speaker 6: Bloomberg's Mark German is here.
Speaker 3: With more Mark give US the details of this specific case and why it's important.
Speaker 14: Yeah, a consumer in China sued Apple locally over the company's thirty percent are up to thirty percent take rate on applications, saying that this stifles competition. This is the same thirty percent. This is the same situation that we've seen play out in the US, playing out in Australia with Epic Games. Obviously, the European Union has been largely against this, and this is a time where Apple actually got.
Speaker 6: A rare win.
Speaker 14: Apple has been fined in many places. They're losing portions of lawsuits over this cut. The cut is at the heart of a continued battle between Apple and a judge in California, and this is something Apple is likely going to.
Speaker 6: Have to shake up.
Speaker 14: You've already seen Apple throughout the concept of the thirty percent as part of the Digital Markets Act in the European Union, and over time, I expect even more significant changes to the Apple revenue share agreements in the US and elsewhere as well as this legal pressure and pressure from both consumers and developers continues to heat up to.
Speaker 2: Heat up, and now China the outline, Madam, and great wrap of it all well, thank you so much. Meanwhile, let's go from Apple to Meta, because Matt has just removed hundreds of Facebook accounts associated with covert influence campaigns from China, Israel, Iran, Russia and other countries, some of which used AI tools to generate disinformations, according to the company's quarterly threat report.
Speaker 4: Well, let's bring in the moos Kurt Wagner, and.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming maybe they used AI to find this disinformation too.
Speaker 15: Yeah, they use AI and algorithms to detect a lot of this stuff and do it at the scale that they need to for Facebook's products, right, I mean, they have billions of users, billions of pieces of content. That's not really something that they can necessarily do manually, although they do have teams that then, you know, once things are detected, kind of going and do some investigating manually. But I think the important part here is that, you know, we are seeing a little bit more generative AI content that.
Speaker 6: Is being used to mislead people.
Speaker 15: And I think that this is not a surprise, but it's something as we head into the twenty twenty four election, as we head into you know, important Senate races, this is something that they're paying close attention to.
Speaker 3: K when Meta finds this content, generative, AI driven or otherwise, what do they do in response?
Speaker 15: Yeah, their goal and they've been doing this for years to be clear, this is not a brand new thing. But their goal is to basically wipe out these organizations, wipe out these you know, groups before they're able to gain any kind of traction. They've gotten very good at doing that since twenty sixteen election, you may remember. And so most of the time when they're sharing this stuff, you know, they're catching these things before it reaches a huge audience. And I think that's the big key. Now, sometimes things do you know, slip through, but ultimately they're trying to find these groups and eliminate them before they can reach some type of scale.
Speaker 2: And Nick Claik, the President of Global Affairs, we you're saying, you've got to detect, you've got to label this AI generated content in particular kut Wagner, great breakdown as we face what's more than thirty elections worldwide this year, and look that does.
Speaker 4: It for this rather busy edition of remote technology.
Speaker 3: Yet, Yeah, there has been no stop in the flow in the water of tech. Real quick, I won't be on the show tomorrow. I'm away on a top secret mission. Stay tuned. Check out the pod many of you do on your way to work, way home from work, or just hanging out Apple, Spotify, iHeart, and we published all the Bloomberg platforms from San Francisco and New York City. Queue the beautiful pictures. This is Bloomberg technology.