Speaker 1: Al Zon Media.
Speaker 2: There is America hit by God in one of its softest spots. Its greatest buildings were destroyed. Thank God for that. There is America full of fear, from its north to its south, from its west to its east. Thank God for that. What America is tasting now with something insignificant to what we have tasted for scores of years. Our nation has been tasting this humiliation and this degradation for more than eighty years. Its sons are killed, its blood is shed, its sanctuaries are attacked, and no one hears, and no one heeds. Those words, written by Osama bin Laden in October seventh, two thousand and one, were part of his first statement issued after the nine to eleven attacks. You might notice a few things about that. One is, of course, the glorying over the deaths of several thousand people. And another is that when it comes to his analysis of the cutrual and psychological impact of nine to eleven on the United States, he was more or less right. This is it could happen here A podcast about things falling apart and nothing better embodies the slow, sometimes rapid collapse of the United States. As our reaction to nine to eleven and our continuing responses to it. And so today I've got in the studio. We don't actually have a studio. I've got Miya, I've got James, and I've got Garrison, and we're going to talk about something you've probably encountered, which is that a letter to America written by osamaban Lan, which is a different piece from the one I started this reading, but written along broadly similar lines, has started to go viral on TikTok, and if you've seen the reactions to it, it's a mix of a bunch of you younger people on TikTok reading this letter for the first time where bin Laden explains why he did he believed nine to eleven to be justified, and going wow, he has a point, some of them saying stuff that's more unhinged than that even and then you've got this chorus of responses from both kind of centrist you know, media figures, cultural commentators, pundits, and of course right wing shitheads who are all making this out to be the left looves Osama bin Laden. We're going to get into kind of where the truth lies in this and also what is in the letter to America but yeah, welcome, Welcome to the pod everyone.
Speaker 3: Thanks Robert, horrible to be here.
Speaker 2: How did you How did you all hear about this, this new fun trend on the internet.
Speaker 3: I returned from spending my evening volunteering the border in Cucumber to find a dearth of messages about an Issama bin laden letter or the speech that you just read the ive a sign for probably a decade to undergraduates without anyone losing their mind. And yeah, extremely confusing vibes for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The first time I heard about it was the first post that I saw was it was only about a million views. It wasn't even that viral, which I guess might be true because TikTok is nuts. But yeah, I think it. I don't know, like I first ran into it on Twitter, and I think by the time it hit Twitter, everyone was just sort of in about eighteen directions completely losing their minds, which is yeas it is now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think probably a couple of videos of people dying just seems to pop up every time something discussed on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Now, I think that's an accurate description of kind of the fallout to it. And as we're writing the or as we're recording this. Most of these original TikTok videos, people seem to be reading off of The Guardian's copy of a Letter to America, which was I guess the most easy to google prior to I think it was just the easiest to google. When this all started rolling, the Guardian took that down because they didn't want people reading it outside of the context of the article it's in. This was a horrible mistake. I have found a number of comments being like, this is them. They're trying to stop you from reading Ben Laden's words. We're all gonna be on a watch list. They can't arrest all of us.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 2: You can still access the Letter to America.
Speaker 3: It's on the sentiment that you can't arrest one of us suggested that many of these people were not alive in the media off to moth of them will fucking try. They did try.
Speaker 2: Just to be very clear, you can still read this whole letter to yourself, and so can everyone else. It's on Wiki source. If you just google Binladen Letter to America, it will bring up the Wikipedia page that talks about this this letter and its context, and that will also give you a link at somewhere at the bottom to the wiki source. That's just the unedited translation of the letter to the American people. So it is not like the Guardian's move was bad because of they called the Streisand principle right that if you like try to hide something from people on the internet, it just it just makes the problem worse. You never do what the Guardian did. It's very dumb.
Speaker 3: It was explain the Guardian of course. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, action yeah. Sur I was gonna say, yeah, they could have blamed trans people. I'm surprised he didn't get one of those in there.
Speaker 2: They've been everyone's been trying to pivot very quickly to this. So obviously you know, my like James, my opinions on this are kind of complex. On one hand, I am not an Osama bin laden Fan. He was a bad person. He was a terrible person, and he did a lot of damage, not just to the United States. That said, I've also long been an advocate for like, he's probably going to go down as one of the most effective and intelligent military strategic minds of the twenty first century. The September eleventh attacks worked in large part right because of how we re reacted because of the amount of money that we spent, the amount of people that we killed, the amount of anger that we engendered against the West, and the amount of damage that we did to our own society. A lot of the fallout that we're seeing and all these you know, right wing street gangs and shit, a lot of it traces back to fall out from the wars that were started by the Bush administration after September eleventh. So and that was that was part of the stated goal, right that was one of the things he was looking to provoke a reaction. So I'm I'm both like glad. Hopefully some people are going to come away from this with a more nuanced understanding of the guy. And when I say nuanced, I don't mean in a moral sense, because it's bad to kill thousands of random people, but in the sense of, like, oh, this was not I think I need to play something for you guys, because like, as a nine to eleven, like I was like nine or ten when it happened, So I remember it all very well, and I remember the reaction to it, and I remember the propaganda we encountered. And there's this thing that you will find written about fascists pretty regularly, which is that they both need an all powerful enemy, but they also need an enemy that's like fundamentally free of virtue, and intelligence and skill are virtues. So both in the wake of nine to eleven, you got this sort of al Qaeda and you know, larger sort of Islamist movements were considered this nefarious force as they are now in the wake of the attacks by Hamas, right, this nefarious force that is capable of infiltrating the US border and seeking terrorist sales into the United States to hit anybody. And at the same time they're like primitive idiots who are bigots against who are you know, they hate women and all this stuff, right, Like, you can't you can't see them as capable or intelligent, because then that would that would be to give them a virtue that you reserve for yourself. Anyway, I think a good example of that is this parody song by John Valby that I encountered in a napster download when I was a child, and it's Bin Laden.
Speaker 3: Oh it's the other one.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, yeah, this one's bad, folks. You're gonna hear something offensive. I'm playing it now because number one, I think it's something people should remember or no. But also because we're about to place these TikTok responses to this bin Laden video and reads some comments of people who are very taken by it. And I want to set up what the pre existing image of bin Laden was and our culture kind of prior to this reappraisal of him, because I think that is important. But this is unhinged so and and it's pretty offensive. So just be aware people, I'm about to play it now. Wait, oh yeah, no, you're gonna have all right? Can you see the giant Confederate So this is from a John Valby album. I think it was called Real Women Do Play in Mud Puddles. I don't know, maybe not. That may just be a random image I did not check. There's like describe there's the general lee as a mudding truck with a giant Confederate flag behind it and then with the Confederate flag like colors the text real women do play in mud puddles and it's as Southern girls girl on the on the windshield of the truck. So I'm gonna start playing this song. I'm not gonna play all of it, but this should set up for you kind of what the acceptable discourse on Ben Laden was right after nine to eleven.
Speaker 1: Well, we come from Alabama, but we're in Afghanistan, Navy Shield and.
Speaker 2: Dreamer Rays hunting for a man.
Speaker 3: They say he.
Speaker 2: Has a bearded face of diaper on his head.
Speaker 5: I heard we won't be coming home until that fucker's dead.
Speaker 1: No, don't do.
Speaker 3: I've come to fuck your fanny with.
Speaker 1: Some and frax on my name.
Speaker 2: So had you guys heard that before?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Unfortunately?
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, yeah, see.
Speaker 3: This is the part of America but I missed growing up abroad. Yeah, never fully understand now.
Speaker 2: We freezed about thirty seconds into that minute and thirty second song, but it was like playing random clips of art to go along with the music. And the one we paused on was Homer Simpson with an American flag behind him, outlined and read with a pistol in his hands aimed at a bug eyed Osama bin Laden. So great nuanced discourse here, so.
Speaker 4: Many memories like I don't know what it was. People loved that, like bug ey'd bin Luden thing. This is like like, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know what.
Speaker 2: No, I think I know, well, I'm pretty sure I know why, which is that so. One of the most popular pieces of like media popular media in response in the nine to eleven attacks was an episode of South Park that came out literally like a week or two after the attacks, which basically, up until fairly recently, TV was always made on a significant delay, so there were no shows on air that could pivot to comment on something really quickly. The West Wing managed to kind of, but it was like a dog shit episode. But the South Park guys really pivoted and they put out this episode. It was basically like a Bugs Bunny cartoon with Cartman as Bugs Bunny and Osama bin Laden as Elmer Fudd, right, and there were a bunch of like scenes of him like bug eyes bugging out when like shit would happen, and it was It was weird because like the I think the most people who watched it, including myself, took it in the same manner of that song as like, yeah, fuck these guys, these like you know in ways that we're pretty bigoted. There was also like the episode opened with an extended bit of kids in Afghanistan with everything around them and all the adults getting murdered by US airplanes for no seeming reason, which was like part of the anyway whatever. I think one of the was, like what we're seeing in some of like why young people are reacting to this letter by bin Laden so strongly is they've never really gotten to appraise the guy objectively. And I'm not saying that that's happening across the board now, but I don't think the reactions are nearly as unreasonable as they're being painted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he kind of existed an avatar of evil and like with zero nuance or complexity, just like, yeah, a satanic sort of totem in American culture. Yeah, which is why I've always assigned it just like I think it behooves us to understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree entirely. So I went through and I looked at some of the tiktoks being made about this, And first off, TikTok does seem to have taken some action to try to stop this. I don't think it's going to work either. But like when I typed in letter to America recently, the text I got on TikTok was this phrase may be associated with behavior or content that violates our guidelines promoting a safe, positive experiences TikTok's top priority. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yah yah. You can still find shit by like typing in bin Laden, but it's it's not as much shit as findable right now, so worth noting. One of the first things I came across that was interesting is like, so there's this trend on TikTok. If you're not a TikToker, I'm going to play what are the people on TikTok. There's a lot of AI videos where either the text will be read by AI with like images and video clips on screen, or you'll some there's some creepy instances of people just generating AI faces sometimes of like actual murderers and criminals to talk about the ship they did. It's really weird. But one of the top videos I found on this from about a little less than a day ago, is just the entire text of bin Laden's letter to America being read by an AI, and it it sounds weird. I'm going to just let everyone get a listen to this.
Speaker 6: In the name of Allah, the most gracious, the most merciful, permission to fight against disbelievers is given to those believers who are fought against because they have been wronged. And surely a law is able to give them believers victory.
Speaker 2: I think it misses some of the some of the stirring contexts.
Speaker 3: Delivery.
Speaker 2: No, but you get the responses of this, and like one of my favorite ones that I've gotten the screen is chee cheekis Fressa saying y'all are going to hate me, but he kind of ate.
Speaker 1: And then the.
Speaker 2: First response is no crumbs, which Garrison has our gins it's Sultan.
Speaker 5: That means like, I agree basically, you know, it's it's oh, you're twenty one, now you're.
Speaker 3: Out of touch. Yeah. Yeah, the first feeling old moment live.
Speaker 7: I yeah, I think that means he like ate everything and there's like no crumbs left.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, oh okay, that's that's good. Very literal.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think I think that's what it means. But again, this is this is very.
Speaker 3: Very very particular culture.
Speaker 2: We're really here.
Speaker 3: It's the bleeding edge. Yeah yeah. The last comment following that is bizarre. Trump isn't a good person either. The gay people have nothing to do with me. This does not say book for Trump. I think you can't read see this is you know, it's it's and that's the.
Speaker 2: Op responding to no crumbs. So I don't know what's missing here.
Speaker 7: It's really it's really hard to tell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think these people may be in a parallel reality.
Speaker 7: I don't think really anyone who's participating in this trend is very intelligent or has or has very good media literacy, or has really looked into like American imperialism very much. No, but we will, we will, We will get to that in this Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the next comment is so much truth coming out this season. And then I appreciated this from Walker. He lost me at the end, he being bin laden with the religiously charged homophobia, but that left out he was right about everything else, justified and well said, see the voice of.
Speaker 3: Reason, the voice. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, but also also now we'll get through it. There's a few more problems with the letter than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm doing doing like you're doing nine to eleven, but with a pride flag is yeah, perfect, And I have no notes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't.
Speaker 7: You can't remove those things from the rest of the letter. In the action, they actually do create a complete hole. You can't actually pick and choose little parts that you want it. It's like trying to pick and choose parts of qan On. You're like, yeah, well, actually there are rich people who are pedophiles. You're like, well, yes, but you can't, Like you can't. That's not giving Qan on The benefit here is these are totally different things.
Speaker 2: And the thing that I think people should be doing, just so we're clear on my stands here, is seeing bin Laden as an incisive and intelligent actor who had a significant degree of understanding of this country and its culture. And the terrible things that he did were as effective as they were because he understood things about us that we should understand about us, right, Otherwise you are not going to be able to successfully act within this culture to improve things and reduce harms. You need to understand why what he did worked as well as it did, and you need to understand what he knew about us, because it's pretty useful stuff to understand. That is different from saying that what he is like, you don't have to view it as the truth, right because it's it's it's not like the truth in any moral sense, but it's the truth in that like if you if you read some of Hitler's writings on democracy, Hitler accurately understood the vulnerabilities of a democratic system and how to exploit them. You should understand that you're not saying, wow, he was spitting truth. You're just saying, well, some people are, Robert. That is a problem. Yeah, some people, in fact are.
Speaker 7: Do you know who else is spitting truth?
Speaker 2: Robert our advertisers, Yes, that is right.
Speaker 5: We are.
Speaker 2: Are we sponsored by the new predition of mine at this point? No, we are sponsored by al Bagdati. He's still alive, folks. Mm I don't know. I don't know. Here here's the ads. Okay, so we're back. I'm going to play another one of the one of these zoomer Bin Laden loving videos for you. Well, no you're not, No, I'm not.
Speaker 7: Lots of these videos have also been taken down recently.
Speaker 2: I go, yeah, they which Yeah. I thought this one was interesting because it was someone who was like really pro bin Laden, being like, yeah, you know, he was completely right about everything. What a genius, So I love him. But all of the comments were people being like, that's fucking kind of crazy to say, bro, like, yeah, let's take a step back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the thing this reminds me of this, this is a phenomenon I've run into with American maoists. Yeah, we're like, okay, they'll read MAO. They'll read MAO saying something that is, you know, perfectly reasonable, like you should not talk about something unless you've researched it first. Yeah. Now, any normal person has heard this when they were like two, But these people apparently have never heard this, and they run into it through MAO and they're like, holy shit, maw is like the greatest living theorist.
Speaker 2: What's a brilliant thinker?
Speaker 4: You guys need bid LAUNI and tell you the US sucks like really.
Speaker 3: Health Yes, people do because they get shit history education because their.
Speaker 2: Their education of nine to eleven was the video I started this episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like we failed as a country, like just completely.
Speaker 3: No, seriously, Like I like a fucking like horse that I will whip till it's dead.
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: Like in twenty sixteen, there was this huge thing about we need to teach history properly and media literacy right after Donald Trump got elected because a lot of people didn't know what the fuck was going on. We just and then we just stopped, and everyone was like, nah, fuck it, why not, We'll just keep doing stem stem STEM and then like like teaching undergraduates often like intro courses for years it's become very clear that we are completely failing in the United States to educate people or equip them with any understanding of a man history, and so they just get propaganda.
Speaker 2: This is a big part of why I focus on crypto so much, because James, that is exactly where crypto comes from, is we learned a lot of stem shit, but we never learned any humanities or anything. So you get people saying stuff like, well, the underlying technology behind crypto is so impressive, and it's like, no, it's you can't point to a single useful piece of work it's ever done. You just find it impressive because there's a lot of complex math problems and that's what you that's what you value, Like, yes.
Speaker 3: The resultimate, Yeah, the yodd stick of academic achievement or intelligence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, speaking of people who are less intelligent than a yardstick. It's not exactly what you said, James. But I also wanted to play here's a right wing influencer who's collected a bunch of these videos. I hadn't run into this guy before, but oh no, did they drop him too? Are they just purging everything?
Speaker 7: So TikTok has been removing all of this. Almost all of the videos associated with this trend you can you can find the compilations on Twitter are really some of the only Yeah, so these videos are still alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is a right wing guy. This was the right wing guy making fun of it. But man, that's interesting because this was, like I found this five minutes ago.
Speaker 4: So I mean, I think this is the thing that like, it's really hard to talk about this without it being in like an insane right wing thing. But TikTok is really Americans only encounter with the way that Chinese style censorship works, which is they take a giant hammer and they just like hit things with it. Yeah, I supposed like it's not it's not like targeted. It's like like we found everyone who said the word bin lauded and we band it right, everything associated with the trend, Like, yeah, you know, like this is this is the way that like censorship stuff tends to work in China because it's kind of easy to do and it covers your ass. And so now Americans are like experiencing this.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I'm just enjoying seeing what Rubberts have suggested for other tiktoks. He might like, oh, thank goodness for the shower's top shelf products. Yeah, hashtag hadtalk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a big fan. I think it's because of this person, Earth earth Mother, Earth earth Mother basically who actually I brought her up specifically because she was an example of like the way this is getting portrayed in kind of like particularly like Twitter and more mainstream sort of descriptions of it is like all of these gen zers are full throat for Osamo. They've all gone crazy, and you can certainly find no shortage of those videos. I found a bunch of other videos that are more critical. It is difficult for me to tell what the preponderance of is because there's not no one's basing what they're saying on a sentiment analysis. They're basing it on what their timelines forwarded them based on their passionate when they typed letter to America or whatever into Twitter or into a TikTok. But like I ran into this lady's video and like so not plenty of these are and I found others like this. Plenty of these are like a little more critical but not but still yeah, I'll just play it.
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, just coming on here to remind y'all that Osama bin Laden was still a bad person. Crazy that I'm even having to get on here and say this, wee like hello, obviously, But I've been seeing a lot of people, you know, say that they read Osama Laden's letter to America.
Speaker 6: And I've read the letter, and I.
Speaker 8: Understand that a lot of people are getting educated and kind of like deconstructing the propaganda that they've grown up in living in America. But that does not mean that we should mystify these terrible people. But are also criticized the West in questions in the West and like how we operated over here osam b and LANs doing the same thing. It doesn't mean that they are necessarily wrong on what they're saying, but it doesn't take away the fact that they're sexist, fascist, racist dictator.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like this lady. That's a good video.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think she kind of hits on one point that I've seen in some of the other like, for lack of a better term, pro Sama bin Laden, people have been saying how like, well like people have been talking about how like they're like finally like seeing past us propaganda and they're deconstructing the lies that media has told them. And this kind of gets at something that we see a lot and kind of in like cult spaces, is that you rarely ever just completely disengage from some form of propaganda, you jump.
Speaker 3: To a different form of propaganda.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right.
Speaker 7: It's like reading this letter, you're not getting like disillusioned from US propaganda. You're now buying into someone else's propaganda. Like the letter to America is a completely other version of conspiracy riddled propaganda that was put out for a political purpose, and to try to engage with it in good faith is not the way to approach that text. And I think this is a big part of this problem is how people's education has worked the past few years, because as they should have learned all of the various motivations and geo political factors that led to the nine to eleven attacks, and instead having Islam bin Lan be characterized as this as this like cartoonish evil that hates America for freedom and like hates America as a nation for its freedom. Like that, Yes, that is propaganda. And if that's all you've had your whole life, and you're you're you're now seeing this other side. This is probably like this is definitely like mind blowing, but like you can look into why these things happen without just falling for someone else's extremist propaganda, like like yeah, you can. You can get into the actual reasons for why this happened, how how US imperialism has caused the geopolitical situation coming out of the nineties, Like it's it's lots of people have already done this reading. There's just there's just plenty of people online who have not looked into this because they have life, they're doing whatever, like right, they've not everyone is like us and spends all of our time reading like political extremist literature.
Speaker 2: Not all of us have strong opinions on the different eras of bin Laden writing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's like Tyla Swift in that sense. Yeah, yeah, I think there's a.
Speaker 4: There's another There's a thing that's also important here too, which is I think you see this a lot in Americans, which is that Americans will have this moment where they realize that they've been being lied to you by the American media, and then the thing this convinces them of is that everyone else is telling the truth. Yes, And it's like no, every country is doing propaganda. All of their media is doing propaganda. Like you can't just sort of ping pong from one like countries sort of prop media propaganda to another countries because they're all doing it and the stuff that they're saying also, is it true. You have to actually like you have to actually try to work out the sort of the reality of history. You can't just rely on reading like some other like some other propaganda's version of events.
Speaker 3: But this comes down to like a lack of basic understanding of how we do history, which I think is not anyone's fault. It's because we don't teach you very well at all in schools, but like the lack of understanding of the difference between primary and secretary sources, right, and like people want to get straight to the source, so they'll go and read one historical primary source without the adequate secondary context and suddenly be like oh shit, and yeah they turned into a maoist or apparently memory of al Kaieda.
Speaker 2: This is why, like, you know, journalists do a lot of gathering, you know, what they can in the moment from a scene, from interviews and stuff. But academics there's always going to be if it's like a good academic, Like I'm reading a great book right now on trust in unstable societies, societies like racked by war. So it's like contrast the concept of It's written by a Gazan and it's about like how concepts of public trust fluctuate during conflicts. And he's looking at Lebanon, he's looking at Syria, he's looking at Iraq, he's looking at Palestine. It's very interesting, but like he's not just interviewing people. There's like a set of basically an algorithm that he runs his different interviews and like the overall sentiments expressed in them through in order to try and determine, like here is the aggregate of like what I found as a reaction to this question from like the people that I surveyed. It's the same kind of stuff that you do in a survey to attempt to add a little bit more rigor than just saying well, I talked to ten people and most of them said this, So clearly this is a trend, right, which journalists are often guilty of, and also just goes ab in part because of that, Twitter goes wild with this kind of shit. Just like well, I looked through and I listened to twenty videos and most of them the kids loved bin Laden, So the kids must love beIN lobby now, which I don't think is entirely fair, but I wanted to. I think it's probably a good time for us to go through the Letter to America and talk about what is actually in this thing, right, because you might as well know what's in it. It's a good thing to read. Again, you can find it on wiki source. Yeah. So it starts with him kind of providing just some kind of chronic justifications for the concept of fighting against an aggressor fighting against like, you know, someone who is actively attacking you, which is more essentially how he positions like the relationship between the US and the Muslim world. And he is a big you know, a big thing that comes up over and over in this piece is him talking about how the Caliphate is being sort of like squashed and stopped from you know, existing in the form that it should exist by this kind of constant both attacks on not just Arab democracy, but on like sovereign Arab states as well as like support by the US for He complains a lot about corrupt rulers in the Muslim world, and he is talking about not just guys like Saddam, but like largely the Saudi Royal family is a big part of it. He talks a lot about Iran and basically the uh so that's kind of like a bit where a lot of his like grievances start. He does bring up and one of the videos, James that you posted earlier was like inn Israeli man responding to this and basically characterizing in a very inaccurate form saying like, uh, there's no facts in this letter, Like he doesn't like say anything true. Yeah, he's just angry at Israel in Palestine, right, He's just angry at like at that. And he does bring up Palestine multiple times. There's lines like the blood pouring out of Palestine must be equally revenged. That's a significant part of his case, but he also lists a lot of other areas, right, he is not It is not just what's happening. It's not just what Israel is doing in Palestine that he's talking about. There's lines like you attacked us in Somalia, you supported the Russian atrocities against US in Chechnya, the Indian oppression against US in Kashmir, and the Jewish aggression against us in Lebanon, and he brings all of those up several times. He also he does drop some facts in one of the more salient lines is you have starved the Muslims of Iraq, where children die every year. It is a wonder that more than one point five million Iraqi children have died as a result of your sanctions, and you did not show concern yet when three thousand of your people died, the entire world rises and has not yet set down. And that's not an inaccurate thing to be That's not an inaccurate statement or a thing to not be angry about. Now, that's not the full context of it, right, because there is a bunch of stuff that is in here that is like bidden laden culture, warshit that absolutely is not reasonable or a reason to bomb people. Like there's a point in the letter where he's like, what do we want from you? The Americans? Like, what do we you know, al Kaida, the people who have attacked you. He's speaking kind of broadly for the Uma here. What are we asking from you? And the first thing we are is that we are calling you to Islam, which I don't think is likely to happen. The second thing is we are calling on you to stop your pression, lies in immorality, and debauchery that has spread among you. We call him for you to be a people of manners, principles, honor, and purity, to reject the immoral acts of fornication, homosexuality, intoxicants, gambling, and trading with interest. We call all of you this that you might be freed from what you have already been caught up in, that you might be freed from the deceptive lies that you are a great nation. And you may recognize that as a pretty insane reason to kill three thousand people. I mean, there's gambling.
Speaker 7: I think a big part of the framing of this entire thing is like people are taking this as being like, oh, look at all these justified reasons because the US was complicent and active in mass violence in the Middle East. But like, he's not actually critiquing violence or political violence, because he is pro political violence. He is like that he what he is critiquing is Western degeneracy, Like that that is his actual thing. The first to ask is to is to convert over to a fascistic version of his religion. Yeah, Like that's the primary thing this isn't about like US imperialism in terms of what his end project is.
Speaker 2: And he's also when he's angry about violence, it is specifically violence against Muslims, right, because again bin Laden is fine with doing violence to and having the state potentially do violence to non Muslims in his ideal state. He also we read he is very right when he says that the United States is complicit in the deaths of over a million iraqis because of our sanctions. This is in the pre invasion period. One of the worst crimes this country has been complicit in within our lifetimes. Absolutely a fucking nightmare. He devotes as much time to that as he does to this next paragraph I'm going to read you, which is another one of his grievances. Who can forget your President Clinton's momorl acts committed in the official oval office? After that you did not even bring him to account other than that he made a mistake, after which everything passed with no punishment. Is there a worse kind of event for which your name will go down in history and be remembered by nations? He's like, it's fucked up that you killed a million people. The worst thing you did was let your president get a blowjob. That is part of this letter. And that's a crazy person thing to think. Yeah, like that's just him being an asshole, because not really a problem, right, there's personal problems, right, but on the scale of like American crimes, the fact that we didn't forcepind or forced Clinton out of office not really on the list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, does not really make the cut. Yeah, there is a long list, and that does not make it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then of course he's got He also spends actually more time on the sex trade than he does on what the US did to Iraq. You are a nation that practices the trade of sex and all its forms, directly and indirectly. Giant corporations and establishments are established on this under the name of art, entertainment, tourism and read them and other deceptive names you attribute to it. And because of all this, you have been described in history as a nation that spreads diseases that were unknown to man in the past. Go ahead and boast to the nations of man that you brought aids as a satanic American invention.
Speaker 7: It's it's a very basic reactionary screen.
Speaker 3: It's like, yes, you can, you.
Speaker 7: Can do the same thing with like sections of Hitler speeches talking about like working conditions and factories. Right, you could take little sections, put them on TikTok, make it, make it be read by an ai voice and be like, oh wow, this is a really good critique of capitalism. Yeah, Like you're missing the entire point of what Hitler's actual political project is. This is the exact same thing is this is exactly this is This is the thing reactionaries do. This is like they will take a few of these points talking about imperialism, talking about capitalism, and then wrap it in a fascistic package like that. That is their entire political goal. It's it's it's the entire way they recruit, it's how they spread their propaganda. It's how they get people to believe conspira theories.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we American people especially will be incredibly vulnerable to it because they'll look at the critiques, which are in some cases reasonable, right or if somebody's.
Speaker 2: Not wrong about every critique he has, but the fact that he is valuing the murder through starvation of a million or more people, with Bill Clinton getting the blow shop some it's not something you should miss in your interpretation of the validity of his points.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is not a This is not a guy you need to agree with.
Speaker 7: No, under no circumstances you have to.
Speaker 3: Once again drill. Yeah, it's uh, it's certainly a weird one. The reaction to it has been equally weird and equally misleading.
Speaker 2: And yeah, the the reaction to the reaction like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it shouldn't be that fucking hard for us to be, Like America shouldn't have three sanctions, killed millions of children and done how to walk crimes out of the world Asama, bin lad and bad dude, we can take that middle path.
Speaker 2: I do want to get into a little more before we finish our talking about this. Some of the lines that I think are really igniting some of these people who are are now pro bin laden TikTokers, because it makes sense to me that there are bits of this that really grab people, and I'm going to read a couple of them. One of them is this line here, the freedom of democracy that you called to is for yourselves and for white race only. As for the West of the world, you impose on them your monstrous, destructive policies and governments, which you call the American friends, you prevent them from establishing democracies. When the Islamic Party in Algeria wanted to practice democracy and they won the election, you unleashed your agents in the Algerian Army onto them and to attack them with tanks and guns, to imprison them and torture them. A new lesson from the American book Democracy. And like, yeah, there's some valid stuff in that paragraph, right, there's some there's some points he's making there that people who have started to get people who have just gotten out of like their parents' bubble, and who are starting to become aware of the world and history in the US's place in it. I see why, especially if they encounter stuff like that out of context, they will find that intriguing because that's a fairly lucid and reasonable sentiment of a horrible thing that this country has been involved in.
Speaker 7: It's also nothing that hasn't been said better by it.
Speaker 2: You can find it, you can find it being said well ahead, have bin laden saying it by people who did not kill thousands.
Speaker 4: I want to sort of you know, maybe this is too late in this episode for anyone to still be listening to this, but I want to sort of make an appeal to people who are discovering anticolonialism for the first time. Yeah, sort of in the wake of this and in the wake of Israel community and genocide and the thing that's there's something very very important to understand about anti colonialism, which is an anti colonialism is not a single coherent set of politics. There are many, many different types of anti colonial politics, and those different versions of anti colonialism wind up with completely different politics. And this is something you know internationally, there was a very important distinction between made between left and right wing anti colonialisms in the US. I mean, we don't have this right like. This is sort of the problem with Americans encountering this for the first time is we don't have left and right wing anti colonialism because the US is the world's primere colonial power. But in a lot of parts of the world there is right wing anti colonialism. And you know, the core difference here is there are people who hate colonialism because of their sort of deep and abiding, principled opposition to oppression and exploitation. And there are people who hate colonialism because their empire lost a war and they want to go back to being an empire again. And what kinds like which version of this politics people take up often has a lot to do with their class position, and they're, you know, they're they're sort of like ethnic, racial, or position in the pre existing society's hierarchy. And that's something very important about bin Lauden that you can't get from either the American nationalists they hate us for our freedom shit, And you also can't get from bin Laden's own description of his motivation. Yeah, and the thing that's important here, right, is that you know, Asamo bin Laden is not some Palestinian kid who picked up an ak after the Israelis murdered his family. Asamom bin Laden is one of the heirs to the Saudi bin Laden group. And this is a second I need this style. We need to stop for a little bit and talk about the differences between American and Saudi capitalism, because they know they're not structured the same way. And one of the sort of big differences here is that the Saudi bin Laden group isn't like, it's not like a company, right, it's a conglomerate. And what this means is that, you know, is that bin Laden's family, like the people who own the bin Laden Group, which is founded by his dad. They don't own one company, they own five hundred companies. The American equivalent to who Bin Laden is is like it's it's it's imagining if one if Jeff Bezos' kids went to like a church, like an Orthodox church of Ukraine's seminary school, and then god his dad to like go like pay for him to go do war tourism in Ukraine and then got a group together to like fly a plane into the Kremlin.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and became like a weird like trad cat.
Speaker 4: That would be kind of cool, it would be funny, but like, but that's the thing. Like he's not, like London is not a sort of moral authority on like Islamic resistance to American imperialism. He's a rich, failed son who had this combination of like regurgitated say you'd cut up, and a bunch of his dad's money and like money from Pakistani intelligence, and that allowed him to sort of you know, that allowed him to do everything that he did. Right, that that that's the thing that allowed him and not you know like that kid in like that that that that kid in Gazo picked up an ak Like that's the thing that allowed him to declare war in the US. And I want to read his account of what he actually thinks happened to the US. This is this is, this is from that same uh this this, this is from that same letter. You are the nation that permits usury, which has been forbidden by all religions, yet you build your economy and investments on usury as a result of this in all its different forms, and guys, is the Jews have taken over your economy, through which they have then taken control of your media and now control all aspects of your life, making you their servants and achieving their aims at your expense, precisely what Benjamin Franklin warned you against. So I want to like, like like think for it. Like I wanted people to sort of stop and look at what he's actually saying here. His argument for why the US is an imperialist power is that it is controlled by Jews, who control the economy, in the media, and has enslaved the rest of the US to do their will. And this is and I cannot emphasize this enough word for word, a Nazi yes analysis what happened to the US, And this is this is what right wing anti colonialism is, right you look at like the sort of horrors of colonialism, go oh, this is bad, and then when someone asks you, okay, why is this happening, you unload this like utterly half assed pile of anti Semitic conspiracy theories instead of like an analysis of capitalism, like he thinks the source of like American like imperialism and capitalism is interest bearing loans. Yeah, yeah, this is nonsense, and that's.
Speaker 2: What he means whenever he talks about usury, which, like, by the way, is a heads up. Every Muslim country that I am aware of has banks that do what it fan does it, Yeah, and they do what is effectively usury. It's just okay. So if you know anything about like orthodox Judaism, right, you are not supposed to do anything on the Sabbath, and so some people do keep that. You're not even supposed to turn on a light, right. Like one of the old ways this was expressed is like you would light candles the night before the Sabbath so that you could have some burning on the Sabbath. Today there are ways around it that are like you get lights that are scheduled to go on and off at certain hours, and it's it's always. It's kind of funny. There's a lot of jokes about this you get from the Jewish comedians being like, do you think God is like tricked by your rule slowering and stuff? But there are banks in the Muslim world that are the banking equivalent of that. Well, what they're doing isn't technically taking interest, but like it works out to be the same thing for them. They're just they're just getting around anyway. I think that's an important piece.
Speaker 3: Of Catholic Church deciding that uh, fish and chicken on meat so you could eat them.
Speaker 5: Right right right yeah, where it's like really.
Speaker 2: God, Yeah, yeah, do you think you think God is like oh yeah, no, I never.
Speaker 3: Meant for those things to be meat.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 3: They got me with that chicken shit. That ain't a cow God seeing it? Yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: Actually, you have to credit Chick fil A for being closed on Sunday a little, I guess. But I love the idea of like God going to like watch a Catholic congregation go to breakfast and get there fucking like chicken sandwiches and going, ah, you cut you crafty bastards.
Speaker 3: Got me again, guys.
Speaker 2: I didn't think you need those guys, they're so gross.
Speaker 7: That is kind of how the Catholic God works removed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like set up a little Sudoku for you. He's just thrilled that you're getting.
Speaker 3: That has to press a button to get its feed. Yeah, yeah, I want to.
Speaker 4: I want I want to bring it back to bin Laden for a second, because I think part of what's going on here is something that isn't I don't know. Bin Laden is a product of his specific context, right, and his specific context is that he grew up in one of the richest families in Saudi Arabia, and you know, and his you know, and I guess this is the thing we should actually I should actually mention I'm being slightly unfair to the Taliban when I when I talk about them having loans, because the Taliban are from a different like school of Islamic jurisprudence then al Kaida is even though they sort of they kind of work together sometimes. But like, you know, but the thing, like the sort of hobbyist school that like bin Laden is from right, Like he's the reason he has a right wing anticlonial critique is he's absorbed this sort of like social moras and he's absorbed you know, the like the the like involved in the slave trade, level of anti blackness that you get from the Souds, like from you know, like the the he's absorbed their anti Semitism. He's absorbed all of these things. And this is what he sort of like has constructed as the reason, you know, and filtered through his sort of cobbling together of like different sort of like like of like so how you could up and of sort of like different sort of Islamic thinkers, Like, this is what he's assembled together. And it's this thing that it's not a stable, coherent critique of the US. It's it's it's it's this like it's all of his sort of like weird prejudices and hang up like grafted onto anti colonialism. And being able to tell the difference between someone who is a genuine anti colonialist and someone who is doing this stuff or like who wants their empire back or who is like, you know, like pissed off that gay people exist like that. That is something that is genuinely very important, and it's something that's made enormously harder to do by the way that people like you know, by by the American education system, by the way people are raised to think about media. Yeah, yeah, this is this is, this is, this is, this is this has the been loten rant I we can always stand to do more ban Laden rants.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll do another episode on him on Bastards one of these days. But yeah, I uh, good stuff. I do want to kind of close by reading another bit from from obl you know, our our friend of the pod. This one's from two thousand and four October twenty ninth, and I think it's relevant as we look at the different ways the current president of the United States, the former and possibly future president of the United States are talking about dealing with problems like Islamic extremism. Because I think bin Laden's words here are pretty salient, and this comes from a common team made it wound up airing on Al Jazeera criticizing George Bush ahead of the two thousand and four election. Your security is not in the hands of Democratic candidate John Kerry or President George Bush or al Qaeda. Your security is in your own hands. We had no difficulty in dealing with Bush in his administration because they resemble the regimes in our countries, half of which are ruled by the military, and the other half by the sons of kings. They have a lot of pride, arrogance, greed, and thievery, and again not wrong, not wrong about most Muslim majority nations, and not wrong about most Western nations.
Speaker 4: And it's a good And also's the Bushes too, because yes, the Bushes were friends with the bin Laden family.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes they are you and they are also as close as the US has to royalty, as is Trump. Maybe the Kenny maybe the Kennedy Kennedy's but another presidential candidate, ma, you know, complete with the insane inbred guys. Anyway, anyone else got anything?
Speaker 3: I'm just baffled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm happy. I'm having a good time, you know. Get on TikTok. Let people know that you love terrorism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can't go wrong for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Alternatively, get on Twitter or wherever YouTube and film an angry video in your car about how all of gen z I ironically and supports the mass killing of civilians. Do either those seem to be the two primary things people are doing right now. So get out and join the herd. Everybody. It's fun.
Speaker 3: What a great place.
Speaker 1: It could happen. Years production of cool Zone Media for more podcasts from cool Zone Media. Visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts, you can find sources for It could happen here, Updated monthly at coolzonmedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.