Speaker 1: Hey, guys, it's Jackie Goldschneider and Jen Fessler, and we are two Jersey Jays coming at you.
Speaker 2: So funny, jack yeah saying two Jersey Jays me or you say it, you know.
Speaker 1: What, We're two Jersey Jays whoever says it. So, But we have a special episode for you guys today because we were talking and reminiscing and we were like, let's do an episode about like all the things we were, like, all the things that made our childhood so memorable and so special because people love that stuff, like the nostalgia and everyone has these like shared experiences, right right.
Speaker 2: I mean we also we were talking about pop culture maybe you know, and we will we want to do an episode on just what's going on today. But as we were talking about pop culture, we were like really thrown back to our childhood and that pop culture seems so much more important than today. And I've right so much to say about it, because when I was thinking about the pop culture that I loved, like so many things came flooding back.
Speaker 1: But let's start at the start. We had different childhoods. You were raised in Texas. I was raised in Staten Island. So let's talk about yours first. So yeah, I had.
Speaker 2: A very tumultuous childhood, to say the least.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: My parents were divorced and I moved to Texas when I was nine. My mother was remarried. We'd actually moved around a lot when I was a baby. I was born in Louisiana. My sister was born in Columbus.
Speaker 1: Ohio, and so moved to Long Island.
Speaker 2: Like most of the Jewish friends I have now, it's either Long Island or Jersey or the city or Connecticut, but anyway, for us, it was Texas. So we moved to Sugarland, Texas. My sister was eight and I grew up in Sugarland. I graduated from high school in Houston. It was actually performing Arts High School, and then I went to college at UT Austin and graduated, and then moved as quickly as I could to New York City. So a little bit of a different, you know, bringing for sure. And you know, I had and I still am best friends with my cousins. My mom is an identical twin, so my aunt has two daughters, and so the four of us always been like sisters. But we're always back and forth visiting them on Long Island, and I think that it's so interesting, and I was always so envious, like I wanted to live on Long Island.
Speaker 1: But some of the.
Speaker 2: Like some of the songs, some of the like I bet that we're going to like know a lot of the same stuff or at least like reminisce about things that were special to us, and it'll be the same.
Speaker 1: Even though I grew up in Texas, right, even conservative also there? What was it conservative there in Texas? Yeah, yes, I mean conservative. I lived in Sugarland, Texas, not when I went So when I went to high school, I went in to try out to go to the school in the middle of Houston. It was a magnet school, meaning they were pulling from all different areas of Houston, and so the school it was such a different experience than going to sugar Land Junior High or to you know, Clement's High School. So the performing arts school it was.
Speaker 2: Remember, so we're talking about going back to nineteen eighty two when I started high school and there were tons of kids were we were all a bunch of like performing arts and visual arts freaks, like you know, the boys were out about being gay as opposed to like sugar Land, where you know, things were not at that right, right, right level, but it was got boys were out about being gay. They were like they so a lot of like very cool kids from all different walks of life, and it was just very granola and very arty and very we all love each other and oh wow, it was a great high school experience, very different from like a typical high school experience.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it was like a kid when you were a kid kid, like was your home like sort of buttoned up or was it like loud?
Speaker 2: And my home was not a happy place growing up, So whether or not, I don't know what to No, I wouldn't say that it was conservative in any way. It was just very chaotic and my mom my dad left my mom when I was like three, and then my mom remarried and then they got divorced and then remarried again, and he died he had a heart attack.
Speaker 1: But also.
Speaker 2: Just it wasn't there was no Brady Bunch. If we're going to talk about pop culture back then, it was not that kind of a scenario at all. Quite quite different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I grew up in Staten Island and I moved when I was almost fourteen and I moved to New Jersey, but Staten Island was the most mad place to grow up. It was just like the houses were all really close together, and all your like family and best friends lived like on the same block, and everyone was just always together, like outside, all the kids on my block there was like twenty of us. We played manhunting each other's backyards at night. We were but it was gritty, like Staten Island was a little bit gritty. I was born in Borough Park, Brooklyn, and I moved to Staten Island as a baby, and it was just like I'll tell you, my next door neighbor was my very best friend in the world. And my parents don't know the story, and I don't know if they listen to my podcast, but we used to when we were like ten years old. We started. We would walk around, but ten years old, walk around the streets and pick up old cigarettes and relight them and smoke. Oh my god, I was so bye. Oh to this day, I'm not just thinking about it. But we before I had a pool. My brother and I used to fill up green, big green garbage cans and get it and we used to fill it up with water from the host. It was like, and no one cared stat and it was just like a free for all. Can I tell you a funny story though? When I think of my childhood in Staten Island, so my my parents are like a little like crazy right there. They're wonderful, right, But anyway, so my dad, I used to not like to go to sleep when I was a kid, and I still don't sleep that well. But outside my room there was like a light, right, like a street light, and I guess it was controlled by like a city grid or what time the lights come on, what time they go off, And it used to come on every night at nine o'clock. But I didn't know that that was controlled by another like entity, right, So my father used to tell me that the light outside my room was the Darth Vader light, and Darth Vader when the light came on, it meant Darth Vader was in the area looking for children who weren't sleeping, and that, oh my god, if I was a wait Darth Vader, darth Vader would bite my arm off. So, oh my god, every night at nine o'clock, whether or not I was tired, I was like my eyes were fucking shut, and I was like shuddering under the because the light would come on. It was terrifying. And then one time my parents took me to somewhere like Atlantic City, Ocean City, whatever, and we went to this like they had like a carnival, and there was like this little ride and we went into this ride and it was like a spaceship that shut and Darth Vader came out and I freakd o you poor little things? Oh my god, Oh my god. I still remember it was so vivid. But Staten Island was so fun.
Speaker 2: The parents like the things that they got away with quote unquote, I guess, I mean I org and even just like adults.
Speaker 1: So I went to sugar Land.
Speaker 2: I started out in whatever elementary school and it was called I don't remember sugar Lyne Junior.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so at this elementary school, I was nine years old. If you were bad, you had to go to the principal's office and you would get popped. He had a big paddle in a way. Yes wow, now like sitting on and like you have to imagine that, did day, sweetheart bend over the table because I'm gonna smack you with this paddle?
Speaker 1: Can you imagine this shit. I can't believe even back then, Like, I can't believe because I'd never my I don't think my parents would ever be okay with like someone hitting me.
Speaker 2: I don't think I ever got hit for whatever reason. Maybe my mom wrote a letter, maybe they had to have permission, but it was always kind of looming.
Speaker 1: And so this was we're talking about nineteen seventy eight. I mean, you weren't even born yet. No, I was born. I was born in seventy six. Oh you were all right, Yeah, I'm a baby seventy six. I was born in sixty eight, so or only eight years apart.
Speaker 2: So, but I mean imagine like and also like you, even in Sugarland, we used to run around, you know, playing war with forts, and I was always outside. I mean this that you hear. We all have this kind of the same story. I mean, the world is so different now you have to have organized playdates. My mother name never made me a playdate.
Speaker 1: You kidding me? Now? I remember all these these kids, and I wonder what happened to them. A lot of them are not on social media. I was always boy crazy, and so I've looked just to see what they look like. Now like the boys that I had to pitchbrushes on a lot of them I can't find. But there was even in kindergarten. I went to Montessori School in Staten Island, and I, at five years old, was my first crush and I was just infatuated with this kid, Jerome, and I drew hearts all over his picture in my yearbook at five years old, Jackie.
Speaker 2: I was in love at five years old and I was the first. I was the only kindergartener that got to the first grade play to play Susie Snowflake because I had to try out and dance, and all I could think about was Philip Wilner, who I'm now I facebooked him years and years later. I gave him when we moved to Texas. I mean he was to me then. He was a little guy with glasses. All the girls loved him, and I think I gave him my hamster like before we moved to Houston. And oh but that's the reason why I got to be Susie Snowplake, because he picked me to dance like in choir with him. I don't know, I just remember the obsession and I was like you, I was five starts early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess for some people it starts early. For I don't know, Rachel, I did my daughter.
Speaker 2: My mother used to get upset because Rachel would follow when workers would come in when my mother was babysitting. She would go stand like the window in the back and watch them working in the backyard, like we had landscapers, and it would bug my mother, and it bugged me that it bugged my mother. I'm like, what do you think here is happening? I think Rachel wants to you know, like gross, But she was just for whatever reason, she used to like follow there.
Speaker 1: Like in Texas, there are like different names for like the types of groups. Like in Saten Island, there was I guess you would call it now like their version of goth. They called him a critter. So like a critter was somebody who was like a cool goth, like you wore like the dark jacket. You were all like emo, you are like leather and like you listen to heavy metal and like the only thing I wanted out of life was to be a critter. And then the but if you like weren't cool and you were a critter, you were just like a dirt bag. Like everyone would just call you it, everyone call you a dirt peg. We did not just want to have that critter. The problem is that I had I was like darkened emo and like had this big hair and my hair was huge, enormous. And then when I moved to New Jersey my freshman year of high school, people weren't quite so over the top, Like my hair was really big, and my family was really loud, and like, I just think that I from the jump did not fit in there and had a really really hard time in high school. Sounds like you.
Speaker 2: Had despite really really yeah, well yes, but in elementary school. At one point my mom and my first stepfather they separated and so we moved in with my dad in New York City, my sister and I and he had apartment in the city, and we ended up going to private school like Horace Man. I mean, there was so much moving around for us. And then we went back to my mom when she got divorced and we started Sugarland Junior High and I remember it was so it was awkward, it was so horrible. I felt so like a fish out of water. First of all, we were like the only Jewish girls in the neighborhood much less like the school, right, And I remember like my mom dropping me off at a class and she went because this is like how they talked back then, and my mother waved, She's.
Speaker 1: Like bye pussy bye pussy cat.
Speaker 2: And I had like you, I mean, this is these are the days before carrot. And I used to sit behind this girl, Carrie and struggling junior high, and she would go like she would with the back of her hand. She would just like go her down her hair like this and it was all smooth and silky. And I would put mine like this and it had like a big frizzy hard ridge and then another ridge, and I just remember all I wanted was to have like that smooth, silky hair. It was like, I mean, I guess junior high's not easy for anyone. I don't think that my kids would look back and say it was so great necessarily, but I don't remember it being very fun. Yeah, we're totally getting it's like our whole childhoods and we're forgetting all about pop culture stuff.
Speaker 1: But I know we could talk about pop culture, but I so I moved it high school. Well, we're going to talk about pop culture in a second, but I'm all good. I moved in high school to New Jersey, and I had a really hard time in high school. I did not fit in there, and I think from the beginning I was sort of like lost, and I never I just never found myself. But I when I left, I kind of left forever. I don't really go back. But my sweet sixteen I just invited like the whole freaking school because I didn't care. I had it in like a wedding venue. It was so big and fancy, and I invited this guy from like the next town who I had a huge crush on, and he was older, he was seventeen. He drove already, and he came alone, and my friend Jen hooked up with him, and I got, so you put this. I feel like I've read this in your book. Is this in your book? I don't know. I might have just told you. But I had this like slam book, like a sign in book at my party, and like you could sign in and write a little message on it. And she wrote me like a chapter at the end of the book, all about why I shouldn't be mad at her and why she liked him first. And I was just the whole experience was just so miserable. And I wore this pink taffeta dress that was so ugly and I was really overweight and I couldn't find a dress so I had it made, and like it was just horrible. It was just horrible, horrible. Yeah, high school was my escape. You know.
Speaker 2: It was like because again it was so we're talking about Houston, Texas in nineteen eighty two, but it was like again, I was a misfit and it was just the land of misfits at my high school and we all just were everybody accepted, everybody, you know, and it was just I'm so grateful for that experience, but it was a total nightmare in junior high and in elementary school.
Speaker 1: And you still have a lot of high school friends.
Speaker 2: My three of my very best friends. I'm going to Houston. I think I did I mention that to you. I'm going to Houston, first time back since I left. One of the three of them was in Houston, and we're going to go to Rodeo. So I have to go to California and then I'm going to go to Houston because I've been wanting to just go to Rodeo with her for so long. I'm going to go see old Dominion. I am so excited. So again, I haven't been back to Houston. Yeah, it's really but we all the four of us get together every year. My friend has a house in on the western Shore of Maryland. Eastern Shore.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember you going last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got you over here. My mind is so lately, I just can't keep a thought.
Speaker 1: Pause. All right, So then let's talk about some pop culture. So when I think of the things that got me through the eighties, so I had I was very much. My parents worked full time. I'm a strange. I've always been a strange from my sister, my brother I love dearly. He's disabled. And so after after a certain age, it's sort of like it was, it was hard to like socialize together as easily, you know, So I kind of would disappear into my own world and just I watched a lot of TV, read a lot of books.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read a lot of flowers in the attic. It was that your generation or is it just mine?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yes, and I and I love that. But what I really loved, when I think of the books I loved was I would devour the sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Trends series? Did you watch that? Did you read that? Oh god? I was absolutely obsessed, And like, I think about it because my kids don't love reading, and they're smart kids, but they absolutely never read a book ever since the schools. I guess at a certain age they stopped like making you read a certain number of minutes at night. And I don't think they've picked them with books.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean everything is everything goes back to social media, right, Like there was no we weren't communicating with our friends at unless you know, you were on the house phone. There was no cell phone and you had nothing to do if like let's say, I mean I was grounded all the time and for whatever reason, it was just crazy in my house, and so I would just read. I wouldn't be allowed to watch TV, so I would read and I would Really I'm grateful for that, right, It's like, yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: Oh and Judy Bloom did you read it? Obviously Judy Bloom the best, the best, loved reading really and then like you did you.
Speaker 2: Sneak like Wifey? I don't know that was like her sexy book? Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Oh no. I also a fourth grade nothing. Oh. I loved Yeah. But I also I loved are There God is Me? Margaret? I loved Sneaking a dirty movie. I loved it. Like when I saw Porky's for the first time, I was like, what is this shit? I was? I loved it.
Speaker 2: Wifey was a Judy Bloom book that was like spicy. Oh, and then the other one was the one she wrote about the girl she lost her virginity. Then they broke up. Come on, remember I don't know. I was read everything Beauty Bloom of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I loved it. But TV was really like I would plan every night around what was on TV. Different strokes might have been my favorite. Okay, the episode when and when I think of it, I think of the episode where Arnold and his friend Dudley went to the bike store bike store, do you remember this one? And the bike shop owner tried to molest them? Do you don't remember this? And it was such a pivotal episode because I was horrified by it. But I also couldn't believe what I was watching on Like TV, do you remember? Stuff like that would come up?
Speaker 2: Like good Times and where Janet Jackson she was like she ended up living with uh JJ and like the whole family. Did you watch Good Times?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I loved it, and she her mother took that iron to her like was abusive. They were upstairs. I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that. I mean that this is the crap that used to like, yeah, keep me up at night, but it was. I just remember being so horrified. I mean, I guess my kids obviously have seen things on TV that I'm sure they felt the same way about. But there's so much that I think though back to I was so young.
Speaker 1: My other favorite episode from childhood was the pilot episode of the Wonder Years where Winnie and Kevin kissed and I felt like I was having my first kiss. It was the best episode. Oh god, I feel like I want to watch it again today. It was the most funny things.
Speaker 2: We're so yes, so we're eight years apart, and that was so past my time, like this, Yeah, I mean I watched it. Watch you probably watched like Dallas and of course, and what was the one with Holkins Crest?
Speaker 1: What was the fancy line Falcon's crest? No, was it Dallas? What am I thinking of? What the Dallas was? Fancy? Jr? You ing?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Dynasty, Dynasty Dynasty. That's what I'm thinking of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never watched it, but all those things were also like it depends when you asked me. When I was little and we were living in New York, still before we moved to Texas. This is I don't know, age seven, eight, whatever. Every Saturday night we'd watch the love Boat in Fantasy Island in front of the TV. I think it was that, and my mom would make us TV dinners or waffles. It was like the best part the night was like think that, am I the right?
Speaker 1: You know what? I think that childhood When I think back and I remind myself this of my kids now, it's that it's the simple things that you really do remember. You don't remember like if something cost a ton of money or how fancy it was. You remember just feeling safe and the things that made you feel safe were the things that made you feel the best. You know. Yeah, yeah it was yeah, I mean it was such. It was just a simpler time. It really was without camera. Although I do like knowing where my kids are and being able to reach them, I do. I love that there were no phones around and there were no cameras everywhere, and you.
Speaker 2: Just think, like that probably back then though you weren't thinking like how do I reach them? It was there in the neighborhood they were playing or you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, But.
Speaker 2: Like, moving to Texas was such culture shock for me because again I was at that kind of they're all kind of pivotal ages. But I was nine years old and we were plunk down right in the middle of Sugarland, Texas, and I just remember missing Long Island so much, probably much like you missed Staten Island. Like for me Long I my parents were divorced when I was three, but my cousins were there, and I had always just wanted to go back. I think that's why I probably ended up moving so quickly back to New York City after I graduated college.
Speaker 1: I just was like it always felt like my home.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because I've never been back to Houston since I left after I graduated college, and it feels like New Jersey is my absolute home. Like I've spent more time here than anywhere else, and this is I just keep looking at my extension sticking out no time to get the movie.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you two things that I was obsessed with and growing up archie comics. I would wait until I think they were released every Tuesday or Thursday, and my dad would take me to the store and I'd buy every single one and I would just devour them. And actually, the very first time that I was published was in an archie comic. I was just a kid. They had this like writing contest in the back, and I wrote an article and sent it in and they published that in the back of an Archie comic and I was I felt so high. I was so excited. And then in high school, actually, I don't know if I ever told you this, I was and I still am. I just don't talk about it, but absolutely obsessed with the Beatles. Like every inch of my room was covered in Beatles posters. I wore this jacket I still have it. That was an airbrush picture of John Lennon. On the back was a turquoise jacket and it had I had. I would cover it in pins. I would just go to vigage stores all day. I'd go to Beatlemania twice a year. My mom would just drop me off at the meadle Lands Hotel and I would just roam around all day and all I wanted to be was a hippie, and I just I knew every word of every Beatles song. I knew how to play every song on the piano. It brought me a lot of comfort. I was very lonely in high school, super lonely, and the Beatles were like, as long as I had them, I didn't care. I think I just needed something to escape into. But I to this day absolutely love their music. That is that's so interesting because I like something that was so important to you right back then, that you were so obsessed with, and I mean now I don't even know that about you. Yeah, I had a lot of that, of course.
Speaker 2: I mean I remember going to certain movies like Footloose, my sister too, and when it was over we were we would cry that Kevin Bacon wasn't our boyfriend? Or how about Sound of Music? Were you a Sound of Music girl?
Speaker 1: Not really? So? Sound of Music was.
Speaker 2: My all time instill is my all time favorite movie, and I watched it, but they didn't. There was no such thing until I was probably in high school. We didn't even have forget about like, we didn't have Netflix, we didn't you weren't able to watch that movie until it came out on your network TV once a year at Christmas time, right, well, speaking of I was a Blockbuster video that was like but I remember just oh it was the.
Speaker 1: Smell of a video store. Oh my god, I loved it. I love the smell of like the paper boxes. And then you had to ask for the video, but like, no, if the movie was in stock, the black cassette was behind the box, and it was so exciting to like see the movie you wanted and then the video was actually there. Yep. That was the best in sant Island. It was called selective video. And then Blockbuster took over everything. But you know what, I remember so much, like these sounds were like the most exciting for me was the intro of an HBO movie when you were a kid, and it was like you go from like a living room and suddenly the camera's like soaring over a neighborhood and then it goes up into the sky. Do you remember this? And it's like the Superhero music? And I don't remember there being HBO when I was little. Yeah, And then like the big silver HBO letters were like turning in the sky and then they burst into like a technicolor. You don't remember that it was like like a punch of fucking wall. It was so excited to me. Yeah, it was the best.
Speaker 2: I mean, I remember which which studio is with the roaring let the Roaring Lion. Oh mgm mgm like that those those are you know. That's back when I was a kid. We were watching Wizard of Oz, which was could have watched it all day every day. Sound of music was my absolute, absolute favorite. And again like you had to wait for the holidays for this stuff to come on.
Speaker 1: You couldn't just And speaking of the holidays, I used to call that one. There was a one eight hundred number for a one nine hundred number, sorry, which charges a lot of money for Santa, and I was like the only little Jewish girl in my neighborhood. Instead, I never was Italian, and I would just call Santa over and over and over. I didn't know that I was racking up. That is so cute. That is so cute. I don't remember my childhood phone number, by the way, I don't remember my kids' names half the time, but I remember childhood phone number.
Speaker 2: You want to say it or maybe it's uh, maybe you don't want to No, No, it was somebody nine four, eight, eight, five six one.
Speaker 1: I doubt it's anyone. Sorry, I remember the numbers.
Speaker 2: And I said this to my family the other day of this guy who I dated right before Jeff, And like I, I don't know why I will always know his phone number.
Speaker 1: It's very strange. I couldn't remember. I can tell you anybody else childhood phone number, his cell number, No, his his office number. We don't you think it was cell phones? Oh? And we have done here? And what do want to say? This? You watch?
Speaker 2: This is what it was Happy Days, love Boat and Fantasy Island.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I really I watched Saturday Nights, but I was a little young for it. I liked it, I didn't love it. I loved stupid shit, Like what was the spin off of The Cosby Show with Lisa Bonett where they went to college?
Speaker 2: The college college. Yeah, it was Lisa Bonet. It was Lisa Bonett. I wasn't into that different.
Speaker 1: Different world. Oh it was so good? Oh is not my thing so good?
Speaker 2: Back then there were so many like when I think about Happy Days, you don't watch your first concert, not really with all things, I want a concert on the radio. And it was yes, And I didn't even know their music at all. But when I won, I remember, I know the days the radio would have a contest and you'd have to pick up your phone and call and call and call and call and call.
Speaker 1: And I won it.
Speaker 2: For me, it didn't matter what it was. I remember screaming, I couldn't believe that I won. Oh, and then back you probably were, so it was like a whole new wave era. Maybe in the eighties you had some of that, but like it was Duran Duran and Boy George. So my high school, we had to collect the most PoCA Cola tabs or something and then you could have Duran Duran come to your school. So we were pretty small school. They came and I remember it was as if, I don't know.
Speaker 1: The.
Speaker 2: Most incredible. It was like out of body that Duran Duran is huge and they're still around. I still kind of hear them sometimes, but that they were coming to our school was it was just everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I loved I did love Duran Duran, but they were more like my older sister loved them more. I loved buon Jovi. I had a life sized poster of bun Jovi on my door, my bedroom door, and he was the first concert I went to. And actually I was really really like enthralled by the idea of hookers when I was little, say what and what does that mean? I don't know, Like my parents when they used to take us to see a play in the city and we used to drive down the West Side Highway. I was like my eyes were peeled for hookers. I thought they were the most interesting human beings in the world. And like, if I saw a woman standing on the side of the road, I would just ask my parents, is that a hooker? She a hooker? And I thought everyone at this Bonnjovie concert, So I was young, and we went with my mom and my mom's friend and her daughter who was a little older, and her daughter had some friends there, and they were dressed in like skimpy clothes, and I thought all the women there were hookers. I just I just was so intrigued by the idea of hookers.
Speaker 2: I went on a teen tour I guess I was high school, and we went to Amsterdam and they had the red Light District, and I remember that being the most that we went to, like five countries and five weeks something like ridiculous, And but that was the most. Maybe like you, I was obsessed with hookers. But that was like the most fascinating part of the whole trip was seen like these women in the windows with their red lights on.
Speaker 1: I know. I think because you start to realize, like when you're home, you feel like everyone is like you, right, yeah, and then when you step outside and you start to realize there's a bigger world out there, everything is just so interesting. Yeah. Yeah, But I loved I loved bon Jovie. I loved Debbie Gibson so much. Oh my god, Debbie Gibson everything about her, her perfumes, her music. And she was young. I think she was like.
Speaker 2: Around I had like share Barbie dolls like I was like that was my generation I was.
Speaker 1: I had Michael Jackson trading cards. Did you have? Oh god, I love them. I had Michael Jackson trading cards everywhere all over my room. And the clothing. See this is why I hoard my clothing now, is because I wish, but I want nothing more than my fucking hot doggers back did you ear hot doggers? But it's like this parachute material fluorescent jumpsuit.
Speaker 2: I remember when I'd go to Long Island would buy it. They were called hot doggers, but they were like literally fluorescent, like they were like all those different like as bright as you can with that.
Speaker 1: I have a picture of me in mine with my big hair on like a phone with like a spiral cord in my childhood bedroom. It was the best. We had these pants called skids, did you have? I remember, yeah, I love them. And you used to do French cuff them and wear like four pairs of scrunchy socks with them. And then we had everyone wore with like a Champion sweatshirt and it was like the coolest avenage sweashirts was so like hard and stiff. Oh yeah, and used to wear them like in college.
Speaker 2: I was, you know, I was big girl, and the only thing I remember wearing is be you. I started out at Austin like you, but I wear the BU sweatshirts down to my knees with eg's weren't what the socks were those scrunchy eg's at the bottom.
Speaker 1: I don't remember if they were egs, but they were like big scrungey socks and you wore like a bunch of pairs like kiled onto each other, big scrunchies.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, such a cat fashion, right, but those things. I think I wore one of those to Melissa Gorga is the first. I don't know if that was the first scene, but season thirteen, remember she had that roller skating eighties roller skating party. Yeah, and I think I wore that out, but I wore those like.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I need to go back and look at what you wore. What do you do with all your li like stuff from the show that, like, is not something you could wear again? Throw it out or give it away? Give it away? Do not really throw it out? Yeah, you know what I have a problem with. I know this is taking a totally different turn, but like in my closet, if I have things that I wore and I had a bad episode, I don't want to wear them again, even if they're Did you watch the after school specials on ABC? Of course? Oh my god? The lead in song to that, if you go back and listen to it, I don't remember it. How did it go? Do you remember? It was like instrumental, It was like a trumpet speaking of just songs that opened up you know Schoolhouse Rock? Did you we school House Rock? I did? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I watched a lot of cartoons too, like Sunday morning. How about the comics on Sunday morning and cartoons on Sunday morning. Like we got so excited.
Speaker 1: I used to take like a mixing goal and put in every single type of cereal that I had, like an entire bucket of milk, and sit one foot from the TV and just watch all more Muppet babies and Fraggle Rock and the he Man and Chira. It was just the best. Yeah. I did not know.
Speaker 2: There was no sitting with the big tub of cereal. My mother would not have allowed for that. But I just remember like just being so happy. It was Sunday morning and the I'm reading Wendy the comic, like the comic strip.
Speaker 1: Did you read Wendy Wendy? I don't remember. I remember we are on such It's so funny the difference eight years can make. I mean Kathy, I mean Kathy, excuse me, excuse me? I met Kathy. Yes, my god, I can't. Yes, it was about so comics.
Speaker 2: I think the comics are gone. There are comics, they're they're in your phone. I mean the comics are all yeah, right, yeah, I mean it's did you ever try to get your kids to watch the movies that you watched, and.
Speaker 1: I'm so I've always been so frustrated.
Speaker 2: It's so at Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Willie Wonka in the Chocolate Factory.
Speaker 1: I beg them so they don't love it the way that you did, and then it's such a disappointment. I know. I was like that too. Like my dad used to get so excited to show me movies and I would watch them and be like, I like, I don't want to be watching this, Like I know his favorite movie of all time is Blazing Saddles, and like I just didn't think it was that funny. And also it's really like insulting and like it's not like today. It would never fly and I just couldn't. I couldn't wrap my head around it. He used to love Bridge on the River Qui and like it just didn't care.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, yeah, that would have been a lot. But I remember wanting my kids to watch everything from Pippy long Stocking to Pete's Dragon, Sound of Music, Willie Wonka, like all of these that had they have such a place in my mind and heart, you know, and it was such an escape also, right, Like it wasn't like you could always go get into your bed and put on Netflix. It wasn't like that. It was very special when you were like very into a TV show and you had to wait all week for it to come around, or a movie and you actually had to go to the movie theater, and you know, it was such a treat.
Speaker 1: Although I will tell you my kids do love the original Karate Kid, but I showed them so does my husband.
Speaker 2: Do you know that Jeff Fessler watches Cobra what is it called Cobra Kai, Cobra Kai?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, episode em same movies over and over and over again. And I just read something that said that anxious. He doesn't have anxiety, like one of the very few people I know that without anxiety. But I heard that anxious people watch the same things over and over again because they know the outcome and it makes them feel safe. That makes a lot of sense to me. However, this man will watch the Shawshank Are you talking about Evan? Yeah, he doesn't have anxiety, but he will watch certain movies like I think he must have seen this. He watches the Showshank Redemption probably on a weekly basis. I mean it's also on TV like every week by amazing movie. But I don't know. I watch it every watches it NonStop. Anything with Will Ferrell, he's seen a hundred times. That man, Oh my god, he's He's probably the funniest human I've ever been. Love of real life? Do you watch?
Speaker 2: I definitely watch sitcoms on like TikTok like now because obviously because the algorithm, like it's a constant barrage of Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld and so even shit's creak like. Those are the things that I when I'm like laying in bed at night, I don't want anything too intense. I like for all that, Like it's true, you know how it's going to end. There's something comforting about it, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you watching now? Are you watching White Lotus? Yes? I'm not that thrilled with it, though, Are you really I like it? I'll tell you. I love the storyline about the three friends. Yeah, of course, that's the only one. The problem that with this season's White Lotus to me is that it's dark. But it's not. I don't it's nothing else. It's like the other the other season. I feel like they're planting the seed.
Speaker 2: No I know, but the other seasons were also funny or also touching in some way or a lot about like just dynamics people's relationships. I get that that is sort of with but like between the father that's so uptight because he's about to get busted for I don't know, fraud or mondy whatever he did. And then there is then there is the family and wait, there's the family with the father, and then that kid, the younger kids whatever, the three girl. I like watching the three girls. Then there's oh, then there's the guy with the snakes. Yes, and it's just like I feel like it's yes. I feel like I'm always like on the edge of my seat now with White Lotus. Whereas like there were breaks from it when Jennifer Coolidge would just be Jennifer Coolidge and you would it was so much fun to watch.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like I'm having fun watching it this season. Well, I know season I thought season one was okay. I think season two of White Lotus is one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life. Really felt like I was in Italy. Yeah, I loved it. I love it.
Speaker 2: And also that's the other piece of it is that Thailand, right, it's in Thailand this season, which is so beautiful, but they just haven't set everything looks so related and scary.
Speaker 1: Yes it does. I will say, you don't see as much of the beauty of Thailand as I would have hoped, But I'm gonna give it some time. I did not watch the latest episode yet, so I have did you watch last night? I have to watch that. I didn't.
Speaker 2: Also, I think Real Houses of Atlanta was then on last night the premiere episode.
Speaker 1: So did you watch? No, but I will. I don't watch that many of them anymore. I don't know. I don't know why I do. I do. I love Potomac, I didn't want. I watched OC and Potomac. I didn't watch anything else. I don't love Beverly Hills this season. No, we don't. It's okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just a little bored. Yeah, okay, I like the new Dree, but yeah, I'm not I'm not as into it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Is she different now that she's getting divorced Lauritu, Yeah, she's very different this season. That's like the whole kind of theme of it is Dreek comes back with a vengeance, so she sort of was you know, the villain for the past few seasons, and now she's like, I'm not having it. You and the train you rode in on, and she's like lighting her cigarette in the car and like kind of fun to watch. Well, you know what, we maybe we'll do a pop culture episode of like today's stuff, like what we consider the best today and the movies and the TV shows. But really my expertise is not like the nineteen eighties pop culture. Oh man, I just spent so many hours just watching TV and watching movies over and over. Flash Dance and the Slash and everything was just so amazing, and I just I loved all like the character. I just Molly Ringwald gave me so much hope that I could be yes my own back. I saw that they're getting together.
Speaker 2: Did you see that that the oh say, Almost Fire cast is about to get together or something? There reuniting a breakfast club sane almost Fire.
Speaker 1: All of those loved it. Andrew McCarthy, there was like no one cuter than him. Not to me, I had never could I never got the Andrew McCarthy thing. Really, it was Rob Low.
Speaker 2: Rob Low, Rob Low, that's like the only gorgeous but he's still a little Amelio Estevez. Yes, loved Judd Nelson, such good movies. Yeah, I know, this was really fun.
Speaker 1: Let's do a pop culture of today for another episode. There's one question I know that we wrote down that I think, yeah, is very interesting.
Speaker 2: There's one thing about your childhoo. I mean, this is kind of a deep question that you would change. What would it be?
Speaker 1: Oh God, which I actually I.
Speaker 2: Think I probably thought of that question because it's kind of stupid, but because there's like so much stuff looking back that you would maybe think this was a sad time, this was a tragic, traumatic, you know, period of time. But the truth is now we are who we are because of those things that happened. I definitely wouldn't change the fact that we moved around.
Speaker 1: I moved not only to Sugarland, then I moved to Greater Houston. Then we like.
Speaker 2: But I feel like today I am at any given moment, I could move and I would. I love New Jersey and I love where that my kids got to grow up in the same town and this is places or you know, this is really where our roots are. But I always felt like, if let's say Jeff got transferred, it wouldn't throw me that much I could make it work. And I think that part of that was being such a fish out of water. I mean you probably felt that way from Staten Island to Jersey. But like, there are things that were so uncomfortable and sad. But again, I mean, as long as we're here to talk about them, I guess a lot of nostalgia.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I had a really miserable high school experience, and I think even though it shaped me, it did traumatize me, and pieces that that are still definitely left over. I think I would have oh, well, god, I wish I would have learned that dieting is not all or nothing. I really had no role models when it came to health eating, and so when I decided that I wanted to lose weight, I like really did unhealthy things. And I think I would go back and maybe.
Speaker 2: Well, everybody in my family was we are all it was all about weight all the time.
Speaker 1: We need everybody about that. Yes, all right a lot, but all right, this was so much fun. I love that. I'm going to go back and watch some old TV. Now I feel like nostalgic, But this was fun when I was young, Yes, But all right, guys, I hope you enjoyed it. We will see you next time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like Sunday, Monday, Happy Days, Tuesday, Wednesday, Happy Days. Alright you guys, Bye bye bye m m hm