Speaker 1: Bridgerton The Official Podcast is a production of Shondaland in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Bridgerton the Official Podcast, your exclusive peak behind the curtain of Shondaland's Bridgerton Series. Season three premieres on Netflix on May sixteenth, and rest assured, this podcast will be your faithful companion, covering every single episode in depth with extraordinary insights from some of the most amazing guests ever. And while we're certainly feeling this like buzz anticipation, it's way more buzzy than that because the premiere is only fourteen days away, which actually means it's really fourteen days too many. But we're just gonna have to wait. I'm Betsy Beers, executive producer Bridgerton, and I'm your host for Inside the ton a four part special that dives deep into the genesis and the journey of some of the most beloved characters.
Speaker 3: From the show.
Speaker 2: And on this very first inaugural episode, come on, it's only fitting that we're talking about our next leading Lady, the Wallflower, Penelope Featherington, joining me across this character spotlight series or none other than Julia Quinn, author of the Bridgerton novels and our incredible showrunner Jess Brownell. Plus later you're gonna hear from the incomparable Nicola Coughlan herself on the evolution of Penelope and all those amazingly big feelings that are always bubbling up as she takes center stage. But first, let's recall the recent events in the life of Miss Penelope Featherington. Are you ready because I am. While penn has always seemed like an awkward wallflower to the other members of society, we all know that she's actually the sharp witted gossip monger that that Ton just can't get enough of. You know her, you love her, Lady Whistledown, And at the end of season two, Eloise discovered penelope secret, leading to the first major fracture in the one relationship Penelope could always count on. Now to the rest of the Ton, and especially Queen Charlotte, Lady Whistledown's identity is obviously of great interest, but nobody knows who she is yet. Okay, now, in order to know her, Penelope might be headed.
Speaker 3: Where do we start? At the very beginning?
Speaker 2: A very good place to start, as our own Lady Whistledown Julie Andrews one saying to help with that, I had the incredibly cool experience of sitting down with Julia Quinn, the original mind behind the Bridgerton universe, Julia Quinn, who wrote eight Bridgerton novels that inspired our Netflix series. We had such a good time talking about the inspiration behind creating Penelope, the origins of Lady Whistledown, and by the way, if it's an accident that all this Featherington girls have names that start with the letter P, I don't know. You got to listen to find out. Okay, today, what we're gonna do is we're going to talk about something I think we've all really been waiting for, which is obviously Bridgerton Season three, And goodness, we've been waiting a little while, but it's finally time.
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: The season is so special for like so many different reasons. But I got to say, as a gigantic, obsessive Penelope fan, as I think a lot of people in this world are, I can hardly wait for this season where we get to focus on Colin and Penelope. And look, I would assume you must feel the same way, given the fact that you know, you originally created the characters of Penelope and Colin.
Speaker 4: You know. So here's an interesting story before I wrote this book, which is as much the book fans know where I guess as all the book fans know is actually the fourth book in the series, so we're going a little out of order. So we'd had three books to kind of build this up, and my fans were all going.
Speaker 1: Colin, Colin, we want Collin's book.
Speaker 4: It's all about Colin, Colin, Colin, Colin. And then after the book came out, all they wanted to talk about was Penelope. I mean, she just which is something about her just spoke to so many people in a way. Yeah, no other heroine that I'd ever written had and I mean the most vivid comment I got from somebody and said something like, were you spying on me in high school?
Speaker 3: Because that was me?
Speaker 4: And I just think that the essence of Penelope, in my mind, is someone who it's not that she doesn't know.
Speaker 3: Who she is.
Speaker 4: She knows who she is, but she doesn't know how to be the person on the outside that she knows she is on the inside. And I remember that feeling so distinctly from my high school days. I pulled a lot from that too.
Speaker 3: Is just it.
Speaker 4: Sounds so good in your head and then you say it and it comes out all wrong and things like that, and you're just like, no, I know I'm funny and I know I'm smart, and how come whenever I then try to be that way, it really feels like I'm trying too hard or I just cannot be effortlessly effortless sleep cool. See I still can't even say the word effortlessly.
Speaker 2: It's an overrated word. No, I know exactly what you mean. I do think that that's the part. It's almost like there's a jet lag between your brain and then when it comes out of your mouth. That's somehow or another time went by and it was great the way it sounded in your hand, but then it popped out. And look, I think we all at the core of it is we all identify with PENELOPEA at one point or another, because we've all been that person who felt like one thing internally, and then we realize that we don't project at all the way we actually I wished that we did. Now, when you first started the world of Bridgerton, how soon did Penelope emerge and what kind of thought process went into your your I mean obviously your own experience, but the creation of her character, like, what was that process like?
Speaker 4: So when I wrote the first book, she was really kind of just this side character who came about who there wasn't much of her. But I just wondered, I needed, like, you know, this wallflower who she almost existed as a prop or came up as a prop. So like the Bridgington boys, we could show that they were kind because they needed to be kind to somebody. And that's how she first kind of entered, and then she kind of became a little bit more. But when I was writing the first book, I had no idea who Lady Whistledown was.
Speaker 3: I was just about to ask you that I.
Speaker 4: Figured it out, or I should say I decided when I was right around me, probably a few chapters from the end, and because I'm starting to panic, I'm thinking, I really need to know who this is. Even if I'm not going to reveal it, I need to know who it is. And so then I decided, you know, I think it should be Penelope because she's you know, she's off everyone's radar. And then I went frantically back to make sure I hadn't done anything to make it impossible, like I hadn't, you know, had her often you know, Scotland or something when when she would have to be seeing something. And then from there, from the next few books on, I knew that she was Lady Whistledown. So there was a lot more thought involved in developing her character, but in kind of a slightly stealth way not to make it so obvious that she was going to be this big part, and also just really kind of to to ramp up her crush with on Colin. And so one of my favorite scenes that she's in is actually in an Offer from a Gentleman, which is Book three, which they have a version of it in last season, where she overhears Colin saying I'm never going to marry Penelope Featherington and it's it's the world's most awkward moment. It's a little different in the book because he's talking with his brothers then as opposed to a bunch of friends, and you know, his brothers are really horrified on his behalf. I mean they just I mean they can't even defend him because it's just this terrible, terrible moment. And yeah, so kind of went on from there.
Speaker 2: I think that the whole kind of concept of Lady Whistledown is such an interesting idea because you figure it is so you think about, I mean, people talk by gossip, earl et cetera, et cetera. But it's so much rooted in obviously the history of regency England and England. How did you go about building because you're two different personalities, so it sounds sort of like you did it. It is two trains running, and then you put the trains together and then started to tailor Penelope to incorporate whistle Down.
Speaker 3: Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Whistledout definitely had her her own voice before I realized it was Penelope. But it didn't mean that it couldn't be Penelope, because as I was writing the first book, The Duke and I, Lady Whistleden was a much bigger part of it than Penelope Feather and Chain was. So it wasn't like I was establishing this Penelope's character in a way that made it not make sense with Lady whistle Down. It was sort of Yeah, So Lady Wiston did kind of come first in terms of developing the characters. And then as I realized I needed to work with Penelope in this way. I started, I wouldn't say hints, but started just building her out in a manner that could incorporate this. And then when we got to Romancing Mister Bridgerton, which is the book upon which season three is based, that's when I really had to get into it, because that's when you're finally in her head, right. And I still wanted to write that book in a way so that even halfway through the book, the reader didn't know that she was Lady Whistledown. It didn't even revealed to the reader. It still could have gone a different way.
Speaker 3: I loved that.
Speaker 2: I mean I loved that, somehow or another, you were still in point of view. And that's a real trick, is to stay in point of view but keep a secret from the reader without making the reader feel like, how could I not have known this? But that was such an incredible juggling act. Now I know we talked about this in the Bridgerton book, that Whistledown is there's a historical precedent for Whistledown because from what I understood, there were gossip columns during this period of time. This wasn't something which was totally out of the ordinary. I suspect I don't know that the identity of the gossip communist was always secret. I mean that I don't know.
Speaker 4: The big difference was that in the gossip columns they never named people outright. God they always and you could usually guess who it was, but they never actually wrote out full names, and so that was meant to be the big the big deal that lady whistled Awound was actually pointing fingers directly at people, and then I tried to make it so it was also maybe just being a little bit I don't know, harsher's the right word, but a little bit more detailed in what she was saying, too, which made it pretty clear that it was one of them, somebody who had a lot of inside knowledge was in there, which I'm not sure the gossip colonists then were as connected as Penelope.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I sort of feel like the gossip columnists then were much more like blind items. I used to live in New York and there was a New York Post and there was these blind items. Was it felt to me like it was much more observations without names, and this which is so startling because it is calling out right, you know that the ton of incredible detail. Penelope is so incredibly captivated by the Bridgerton family, obviously, as are we. I mean, what is it about what are the embody that you feel appeals to Penelope to that degree? I mean, can you say in words like what is it about that? I mean, I know what appeals to me about the Bridgertons is you just want to be a freaking Bridgerton.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think it's just the love and the acceptance and you know, the fun. I mean, they don't always get along, but you know that they're always there for you. They've always got each other's back, and that is something that she's not getting in her family at all. She's never feeling that she's got that her family has her back. And in fact, in the book, and this was something that we couldn't really incorporate into the television series because we elected not to have Felicity, there was a fourth Featherington's sister in the books, in Him's Felicity, And there is a scene in the book which I thought really encapsulated when Colin comes to ask for her hand, her mother assumes that he wants Felicity, and she's just like Felicity, Felicity get down here, and he's like, why would Felicity need to be here, you know, And it was just this perfect moment of all the ways Penelope has been overlooked, which I mean, I do think the show still captures it wonderfully even without Felicity, But it was just this is what she sees as a family that supports each other, which she just doesn't have.
Speaker 2: Now you have all the other Featherington girls and mom with the letter p SO, because you have Philippa Pruden's Penelope, and then there was.
Speaker 4: Philippa sounds like you an f SO. I don't know, it just seemed like it just seemed like the right name.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after this short break. Welcome back to Bridgerton the Official Podcast. It should come as no surprise that I love nothing more than a fast minded, brilliant creative. Such a joy to take a peek into Julia's Penelope process right now. As Julia mentioned, Colin and Penelope story takes place in book four. However, we moved it up to season three of the series. Why well I talk more about this decision with the one and only Jess Brownew. Jess is a fabulous writer, the phenomenal showrunner for season three of Bridgerton in an all round incredible human being who I've known many many years and is just a big bright burst of talent to get into Penn's series journey and some of the decisions of how season three is crafted. Please enjoy my conversation with the amazing showrunner Jess Brownew. Obviously, this is the season of Colin and Penelope. We're all incredibly excited to see this. I mean, we've been following them for two seasons now, in their individual orbits and in their incredible friendship and connection with the each other. I know, we decided to skip a book in the series, so we sort of went straight from book two to book four. Can you give us any insight as to why we decided to move out order on that, Jess.
Speaker 5: So we decided to move the book order for a few reasons. First, you have the fact that you know, we've known Colin and Penelope for two seasons now, We've fallen in love with both of them. We love you know, Nikola and Luke and want to see more from them. But most importantly, there's this dynamic between Colin and Penelope where she obviously has a massive crush on him and he has no idea, or as soon as he is about to have an idea, he pulls back from having an idea, and it's a sort of infuriating dynamic. I think as a viewer, you want to scream at your television, like, come on, Colin, She's right in front of you. And we just felt like that wasn't something we could continue on for too long before people would be maybe physically shaking their TVs. So it was really it was really time to, you know, push their dynamic in a new direction and see what else is there for them. I'll say also that, as people know, the book that was skipped was Benedict's book, and Benedict is a real fan favorite, and he's a real writer's room favorite. You know, Benedict has a real appetite for adventure, and it didn't feel right for him to settle down to three seasons into our show. It felt like we wanted to see more of his adventures and give him a few more high jinks before he's ready to meet his one and only.
Speaker 2: You know, I think that's such a good point because in a way, it's despite the fact that there are two trains running, you know, Penelope and Colin. We dug much more into their stories. I mean, Colin had the entire experience with Marina in the first season, and obviously Penelope's been a point of concentration since we discovered she was whistled down at the very least. So it does make so much sense that these these two characters who we've we've always had this connection with, get to move forward at this point, you know. And I also just think it's it's fascinating to have Penelope as the sort of third heroine, if that makes sense, because so far we've had Daphanie. She was poised and she was confident, and she knew what she wanted and she was going willingly into the marriage mart And then we had Kate, who had no interest in it whatsoever except for her sister and was feisty and judgye and and now we've got Penn, who's, you know, sort of a wallflower. I mean, how do you think Penn's going to bring and what do you think she's going to bring to the table as a leading lady.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, she's a very different kind of leading life Penelope. She is a bit of an underdog and has been underestimated left and right by especially her family and the rest of society as well. And I think, you know, Nicola Coughlan, first of all, brings so much humor and optimism and this effervescence to the role, which makes her a really exciting character. Even though Penn is getting kind of dumped on left and right by her family and everyone else, you always know that she's going to find a solution, She's going to make the best of a bad situation because that's what she does, and Nikola brings that sort of, you know, sense of optimism. So I'm really looking forward to seeing this character get to shine this season. You know, she's spent so long in the Shadows. She has this double personality where she's a badass, she's whistled down deep inside, which is almost like the girl if she were at the end of her arc, and yet she can't show that person in her public life, in her romantic life. So seeing her get to step into her own with skills we already know she has is really exciting.
Speaker 2: How do you think about her two identities and how do you feel like they're intersected? In seasons one and two, like how does she embody them?
Speaker 5: So we have Lady Whistledown on the one side, who is this badass woman who has had the fortitude to put together this scandal sheet, to figure out how to get it printed, to figure out how to secretly destro it. And then you have Penelope in season one, who, even though she's you know, writing about affairs and really sexy, scandal is like how do women come to be with child? So there's this real dichotomy between what she has inside of her. But the fact is she's still a girl in seasons one and two, and it's a lot of power and a lot of responsibility to give a girl, and we've seen her make some mistakes along the way. So when we enter season three, I think that that's something that she'll have to reckon with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the relationship at the end of season two, I mean when Elouise finds out obviously it's so complicated. I mean that's that extra layer that now got placed upon it, which is she has this particular power. She's done her best to try to balance how to use that power, and in the process has potentially destroyed forever her best friendship, which is an incredibly difficult pill to swallow in in a weird way. For me, when I saw that, it was sort of like the first time I think she actually really it fully resonated on to her the kind of power she has because she made certain choices. Is, you know, encouraging Eloise's breakup in order to save her. It's it's this weird realization that you're not just a gossip columnist. In a weird way, you're playing god, you know it. Just certainly I think Eloise's point of view too, And I really feel for Penelope because I think your point is so well taken. She's she's just a girl who needed an outlet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she chose a pretty big outlet, but yeah, she doesn't have the means to understand her power because she's denied power in so many ways. Think about, you know, Daphne in season one having sex barely explained to her, and then you can extrapolate running an empire in which you're sharing everyone's secrets, like you don't understand the code or the ways of the world. No one is explaining anything to these girls. They're having to figure it all out for themselves.
Speaker 2: No, when you think about it, the only person that she's been able to confide in at all in the least tiny way as the mode East. You know, so there's been she's had. To your point, it's it's not like she has a team of a team of helpers who are counseling her. There's no business here. It's Penelope of the floorboards. She's also hiding it from everybody, So it's it's definitely, it's definitely a lot. How did you go about planning the seeds of pollen?
Speaker 3: Seeds of pomp? That's funny. How did you go about planting those seeds like putting? I just realized that was.
Speaker 2: A pun y'all in seasons one and two, because I know we just you know, you can't get away from a good pun. Fans I think have really high expectations, obviously for this relationship. I mean, I know I do, and I'm sure everybody else does. And because we're so invested in them, I mean, how do you ever meet everyone's expectations? In the beginning of any of these shows, like any any season of Bridgerton, it feels like, how do you do it?
Speaker 5: You can't think about it, you know, when we talk about the fans, when I first started on the show. You know, my grandmother is ninety one years old. She has never watched anything else I've worked on. You know, she's very specific at her age about what she watches. But when I told her I was going to write on Bridgerton, she freaked out. She has read every single Bridgerton book, you know, a decade before the show ever was a thing, and she was like, don't let me down. And it was a ton of pressure. But I've realized that instead of worrying about what the entire fandom wants to see, I hire people who are fans. We are a bunch of fans sitting around in the writer's room debating the marriage of different storylines. And you know, may the best debate or win, I guess, but you know, we have to write to character. Instead of thinking about pleasing any particular faction of the fandom, we think about who is this character, what is the arc that they need to travel on, what obstacles are going to make them face those.
Speaker 2: I know that makes a lot of sense. It's so funny because I remember Necklace first audition, like when she was auditioning and she was one of those characters we cast virtually immediately off the first audition, and I think we cast her so much as Penelope. I didn't even I didn't even think about the whistle doown part. And she's managed to embody in the most delightful way. All that whistledown is, which is the fun, the innocence, the cheek. It's incredible that she as an actress can do both things so incredibly well. I think it's just a delight to watch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, and when we cast her, she's obviously not she wasn't seventeen or however old the character was. But I look back at those older seasons and she has this little girl voice, and then every season the voice, you know, sounds more and more like an adult. And people will see stepping into season three, you know, she sounds like someone who's been through some stuff now and the character certainly has.
Speaker 2: Do you see up until now, how Penelopees evolved over the course of the show, I mean, in how it's signified to the audience, how she talks, how she dresses. Because I feel like over the course of the past couple of seasons, I mean, I'm very excited for this one, but there have been these sort of adjustments.
Speaker 5: You look at season one and she has this, you know, younger voice, and the way she dresses is obviously much younger. It's dictated by what her mother tells her to wear. And she also isn't speaking up for herself really at all in season one. Then you track into season two and you have these moments where, you know, Colin says to her, I've sworn off women, and she says, but I'm a woman, and he goes, oh, you're just Penelope and she stops there. But there's just these little moments where she goes, no, I'm gonna say who I am, you know, very slowly. She's putting herself out there, and we'll see a big swing in that direction in season three.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're going to hear more and more from the brilliant Jess Brandellen coming episodes. I know I've said it, I'm going to say it again, and then I'm going to say it again after that. She is the very best. Now, I couldn't think of anyone better to bring Penelope to life than Nicola Cochlan. She has this hunger for love well also having this equal passion for the Nicola embodies this so seamlessly, and it is such a testament to her talent. Schandalane sat down with Nicola behind the scenes on set to discuss exactly what Penelope has meant to her thus far.
Speaker 6: When I found out that Luke and I have the leads of season three, my first reaction was panic rather than excitement, because I didn't expect it, and I'd had a conversation with Claudia a couple of days before, being like, isn't it so fal underpaid? Like the weirdo in the corner, and that's a real comfort zone for me. So then the work in my brain to have to go, You're the leading lady, you know. It's like art imitating life in the show, Penelope having to come into her womanhood and herself and who she truly is and have that confidence. I've also been going on a similar journey because it's difficult, you know, following the footsteps of Phoebe and Simone, and I'm like, well, how am I going to do that?
Speaker 5: How am I gonna?
Speaker 6: You know, you you question yourself all the time, you know, in pasture syndrome. But I think that's what has made this such a beautiful experience.
Speaker 2: Thank you to my special guest Nicola Coughlan, Jess Brunnell, and the incomparable Julia Quinn. I'm your host, Betsy Beers, and thank you especially for listening to Inside the Ton. Do you have any theories or hopes or dreams of what Penelope will experience in season three? Ooh ooh, let us know in reviews. We love reviews. Let us know, and maybe we won't tell you.
Speaker 3: But we'll still love to hear it.
Speaker 2: And guess what you can get even more Inside the Ton right now, because next up we're spotlighting the most rebellious of the Bridgerton family, Benedict and Eloise, and exploring how we left the notorious Swingset siblings at the close of season two. I want to be there for that. Of course I will, because I'm hosting Bridgerton. The official podcast is produced by Shondaland Audio and Wonder Media Network. This show is executive produced by Sandy Bays, Alex Alcea, Lauren Homan, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our producers are Sarah Schleid, Edie Allard, and Carmen Borca Carrio. This episode is edited by Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder.
Speaker 1: Our associate producers are Lauren Williams and Akia McKnight. If you haven't finished binging Bridgerton, please head to Netflix so you can enjoy these spoilers with us each week. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.