Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Tuesday, June ninth, and Americans are drinking at the lowest rate ever recorded. And after you hear this episode, that number is probably going to go down even more. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Good Lord, have mercy. All the studies have been going this way. You almost roll your eyes, don't you. Robe Sometimes here's another study that says coffee's good for your coffee's bad, red wine is good, but only this much. Probably get all these random studies. Folks, listen to us. This is not a random study. This is a big deal study and you need to listen because robes, they are telling us we need to be drinking even less.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is I hate to use the word sobering, but this has been a sobering review of this new study.
Speaker 3: And look, they looked exclusively here.
Speaker 2: At US Americans, at the United States, and they looked at the relationship between having one drink a day and your life expectancy. When you look at what these researchers found to be true, how many people have two drinks a day? That was the recommendation up until just a short while ago.
Speaker 3: Men, you can have two drinks.
Speaker 1: A day, and everybody knows this, and women can have one drink a day. This has been standard. Everybody understands this. Everybody knows this. They've even been some suggestions over the past several years, Robes even that you know what, even light drinking, have some red wine, it's good for you. Some people still have that in their minds, Robes. This is a stunning result from a legit organization. Some controversy behind it, and Robes, this one has to be paid attention to. But it does go in line with where the research has been going for several several years.
Speaker 3: Which is any amount of alcohol is dangerous.
Speaker 1: Any drop period, healthy period, and.
Speaker 2: One drink a day increases your risk of premature death period. If you have two drinks a day, that risk jumps so significantly.
Speaker 3: It shocked the heck out of me.
Speaker 1: It's shocking, and it's coming from a study we are getting that was just published yesterday Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. That was the name of the journal where it came out. But this particular study is called the Alcohol Intake and Health Study, and it was commissioned by the Biden administration. So Ropes to pick up there. This is relevant to the story about where these studies come from in the first place. So a little background here, just brief background, just get you caught up to let you know what we're talking about here.
Speaker 2: Yes, so one of two studies commissioned by the Biden administration, yes, studying the impact of alcohol. They were being made in an attempt to rewrite new dietary guidelines, which we just.
Speaker 3: Got from the Trump administration.
Speaker 2: We'll explain how all of this plays into our new guidelines, the veguesst guidelines, the Vegas guidelines. Ever, but there is a suggestion there's a reason why they're so vague the result.
Speaker 3: It involves money.
Speaker 2: The results of this study, though, did not go in line with what the alcohol industry was being for, and so the allegation is that the Trump administration didn't include these new findings in their health guidelines because there was a lot of money at stake via the alcohol industry.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, the study we're talking about had had been going on for some time, and some preliminary results came out last year or were being floated around not publicly, yes, but yes, the alcohol industry got wind of this. So the lobbying starts behind the scenes. And sure enough, Robes. Earlier this year, remember they gave us the reverse pyramid, right, they gave new health guidelines and a part of that was guidelines having to do with alcohol consumption. So we were waiting on an update from Doc Doz. Right here he is, he's gonna tell us this is what you should eat now. So tell us also what we should drink now. And he told us Robes, it is two drinks a day, okay for guys, one drink a day okay for women. He didn't get into the numbers, no, he.
Speaker 2: In fact, these new guidelines set by the Trump of industry actually took away the numbers, the numbers that we just talked about that we were also familiar with. I think most women know that one drink a day, or if you're a man, two drinks a day is what is considered safe. Ish, I guess maybe, but that was basically the limit. That's what you shouldn't drink more than now the limit is hey, just you know, drinking less is better. That's that is the guideline from the Trump administration.
Speaker 1: And that is I think we all understand that. But so many in the medical field, Robes, we're saying, no, you got to give people more than that, to give them guidance for how they should behave. Drinking less for TJ is different than leading drinking less for Robock. Yeah, drinking less for another couple is different from the Robot Holmes house. Correct, That was what the argument was at the time, Doctor Oz. Even then, this was the funny part of it, Robes. He said, well, there are benefits the alcohol, social benefits, and it's healthy to get out and be around people more. That was actually what he said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was describing liquid courage and medicating I guess against social anxiety. That doesn't seem to be good enough or a good enough reason. When you look at these numbers and you increase risk of prematurely dying, and we're talking about from alcohol related disease and even injury they include in that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, all of this is related to directly attributable to something you did with alcohol. So this is another reason Robes to study with such a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yes, so if you have one drink a day, you increase your risk for premature premature death one in one thousand people.
Speaker 3: Okay, now what does that end up being the percent?
Speaker 1: You hear that and go, okay, big deal. So if someone if doesn't drink at all, and then there's another person who has just one drink a day, you are still at an increased risk. But that risk only shows up in one in one thousand people. That doesn't sound like a lot. Good robes the next.
Speaker 2: One here, So yes, that one. I'm like, all right, fine, yeah, I think do you think of it? Okay, how many people say they might average two drinks a day. I would be willing to guess those who drink that's a pretty fair standard number. Well, if you have two drinks a day, that risk jumps dramatically for premature death. Now you're talking about one in twenty five.
Speaker 1: What I thought I was reading it wrong?
Speaker 3: So did I.
Speaker 1: I cannot believe that a difference of one drink a day that you make and you go from the risk of premature death from one in one thousand to one in twenty five.
Speaker 3: That's a high risk.
Speaker 1: Ropes that will make you reconsider what you have during the next NBA Finals game. Ropes that is, I cannot believe that number.
Speaker 2: The marijuana industry just did a collective leap.
Speaker 3: Woo high five. Not that there aren't risks that I'm sure we'll find.
Speaker 2: Out all about those as that becomes more studied, as it becomes more heavily consumed.
Speaker 1: It's not always the joke.
Speaker 3: There's a trade off.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard of anybody dying of weed.
Speaker 3: No, I know that is true.
Speaker 1: It's a joke, but still if you get it.
Speaker 2: Yes, but California sober may become just the new thing, New.
Speaker 1: York sober, Arkansas sober, Louisiana. So that's all get on board with this. This stut Robes, folks, we can't say that enough. One drink making a difference of having two a day versus one a day, and your risk of dying directly because of alcohol jumps from one in a thousand to one in twenty five. Robes, that is the biggest signal that we should all stop drinking.
Speaker 2: I got chills from head to joe seeing that. And look, if you are at risk for cancer, if you are a cancer survivor, and if you are a woman and you had breast cancer, I mean they actually specify this.
Speaker 3: You should not be drinking.
Speaker 2: And I know my doctors all told me as a breast cancer survivor once I was diagnosed to limit my alcohol. I have in periods. I have, certainly more recently. But when I read something like this, why the hell are we putting poison in our bodies so we can feel a little looser at night, so we can relax a little more, so we can feel more comfortable around other folks. Yes, there's enjoyment, but this certainly makes I think a lot of us who are now reading this for the first time even become more intentional than we were before.
Speaker 1: This is really stunning. And look, we enjoy our drinks, we absolutely do, but we have cut back, and it's been happening past a couple of years. More and more things come out, more and more studies zero. There is zero health benefit to drinking alcohol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only claim was that it can. I believe even doctor Oz pointed this out. Besides the social aspects, there are studies that have shown that there is a benefit to heart health if you are a moderate drinker, meaning one to two drinks a day. However, the point being any benefit you get, which I believe is actually provable to your heart health, it is offset by your risk of cancer and other alcohol related diseases that far outweighs any benefit you might get in your heart health.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna die early with a good heart.
Speaker 3: Exactly, exactly, awesome, exactly.
Speaker 1: This is that this one is pretty studying. Now we talked about competing studies. We'll get into here a seconds. As we talk about this, how many drinks, it goes back and forth. I'm using the official CDC reference here, but I think that's another part of the confusion. You tell people, hey, how many drinks are safe, They'll tell you two for men and one for yeah, and then well, how many drinks is two drinks? I'm not sure if everybody can clearly define what that is.
Speaker 2: Well, and when you really think about this, obviously, every time I have had a glass of wine and the restaurant or the a lot of it is at the airport lounge will ask you do you want five ounces or nine ounces?
Speaker 3: And I laugh, I'm like, duh, I want nine ounces.
Speaker 2: But when you look at a five ounce poor, especially any wine drinker out there, it is I guarantee you half at least half of what you pour yourself that you count for one drink. It is five ounces of wine twelve ounces of beer. That's fairly standards. So that's a can of beer basically, or a bottle of beer and then one point five ounces of hard liquor.
Speaker 3: But we've talked about this.
Speaker 2: If you drink a margarita, you are drinking way more than one point five ounces of liquor because that's just the tequila. Correct, Then you've got the quantro or the triple sack or whatever else you.
Speaker 3: Put in there.
Speaker 2: So mixed drinks, especially cocktails, end up being more like two drinks, maybe even three drinks.
Speaker 1: Would you say that most people at home I was about to say women, but people at home, when they pour their glass of wine at home, is it usually a nine ounce pore?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I would think five.
Speaker 3: It's definitely not five.
Speaker 2: If I had to guess, I should actually just pour what I think, because I actually you know what I have. I have big glasses of wine that feel fun if I'm gonna just if I don't care. But I have very small glasses of wine that almost are like for a dessert wine.
Speaker 3: So that is probably a five ounce po.
Speaker 2: You remember when I joked and said I'm pouring a second glass, but I swear it was only five ounces.
Speaker 3: So but I always try, like they say, if you're trying to lose weight, buy smaller plates.
Speaker 2: So I actually used that with some wine glasses I bought so that I would only pour myself five ounces, because yes, it's very easy. Yes, I know, if I use my smaller wine glasses, I'm pouring myself a five minut five ounce poar.
Speaker 1: We've changed some habits to where we actually use a shot glass, yes, to measure the drink makes a difference versus just pouring in there. I know that sounds small. It sounds but all those little things wrote robes, right, You start getting into habits and the next thing you know, you're only drinking on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And now I'm only drinking on game weekends, and now I'm only drinking on very special occasions. Roads is not a bad thing for all of us to cut back on.
Speaker 3: Drinking, not at all. And you know, my brother had a great plan.
Speaker 2: He's a physic and he is always trying to spread the wealth of information that he's amassed over his years in practice. But yes, he is somebody who drinks on the weekend, but really, aside from special events, does not drink Monday through Thursday or Sunday through Thursday.
Speaker 3: I believe is how he rolls and Rome.
Speaker 1: I just the industry. Now, we talked about it at the top, around the top talking about we're at a record low for the number of Americans that drink that numbers at fifty four percent. We talk about half, just half of Americans consume alcohol.
Speaker 2: Now, that's remarkable. And by the way, I couldn't believe this. This is according to Gallops, so it's legit. Literally in twenty twenty two, we're talking four years ago that rate was sixty seven percent.
Speaker 3: We're now at fifty four percent and dropping. That's remarkable.
Speaker 1: Dropping. You know what's going up? Weed sales and what was the one of the weed and few We call it weed water, but it's.
Speaker 3: DHC infused water as an alternative.
Speaker 2: If a lot of people, it really is about having a sensory memory or just having a glass with ice in your hand, maybe in a wine glass or something.
Speaker 3: And yeah, if you want to get a little buzz or feel a little you know, relaxed.
Speaker 2: THHC drinks are an alternative to alcohol, and they're rising crazily in popularity.
Speaker 1: Keep them in stocks these days, so freak feel go in that direction. Robes younger for your daughter, your oldest and a bunch of her friends. They go out. They're not looking for alcohol, No, which is expensive and dangerous.
Speaker 2: No, I know, and I'm not promoting here weed gummies, but yeah you can for I don't know what it ends up being three bucks for one gummy. You can spend your night feeling a little loose, a little happy, drink some soda water, and you wake up feeling great the next day.
Speaker 1: Man, we are we are going to get zero alcohol sponsorships on the show. We're consumers, but we're also folks health conscious and we know as what we run. We are keto, we cut back, are, we pay attention to our sleep. All these things we do for health, and this one thing we don't necessarily let go of. But stay here. This was one major study that came out, just came out yesterday. It wasn't necessarily supposed to. We'll explain how this one came out in the first place, and we'll explain the other competing study, the one that actually says go ahead, drink, just drink less. Stay here, all right, folks will continue here on Amy and TJ. Put the drink down. Put it down, folks, pick up a joint. That is what a new study say, okay, they left out joint. It left out the joint part, but it was implied. No, it was not what the new study we are discussing here that is telling us, folks, there is no safe level of alcohol consumption. It is actually putting some stacker numbers in front of us that your risk of dying from something alcohol related prematurely goes up significantly if you go from drinking one drink a day to two drinks a day. This is incredible. With Robes, this study we were talking about was supposed to come out along with all the guidelines that the Trump administration put out in I think it was January of this year, February of this year. Okay, it was supposed to go with that, But we are just getting it now, and it's not necessarily a leak, Robes, but it's not necessarily an authorized release, if you will. I don't know the right way to put this.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I mean it was released despite the fact. I mean, look, a government alcohol study that was published finally came out, but the one that the Trump administration relied on said something very very different.
Speaker 1: It was said they said very different, and Robes. They also the folks that said it were a big part of the controversy. Several of the people who were a part of this other panel for this other study have connections to.
Speaker 2: The alcohol industry nations, they had a financial incentive for Yes, you could argue this particular study, this one was from a panel appointed by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, and their report came to the opposite conclusion truly, of the one we just mentioned, the one that.
Speaker 3: Was just released.
Speaker 2: It suggested that moderate drinking, and we're talking about again, those two drinks a day for.
Speaker 3: Men one for women was healthier, healthier, yeah.
Speaker 2: Than not drinking at all. However, it did make the asterisk It noted moderate drinking was also linked to a higher breast cancer risk. That's the only asterisk that one had.
Speaker 1: That that is very difficult to You know what, I don't need science, I don't need a backup scientist. I don't need the other side. I need to refute. That just sounds silly.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: You're telling me I can drink and I'm going to be than if I didn't drink. That just doesn't sound right.
Speaker 3: It doesn't I mean, it just flies in the.
Speaker 1: Face of common sense, and so they try to make that argument that you're almost discredited robes as soon as that comes out. Yes, So that's why these two studies competing studies, if you will. But a lot of folkses are dismissive of that one.
Speaker 2: Yes, and this new report that came out. A former government official, his name is Robert M. Vincent, said he believes he was actually fired from his position because the report that we just talked about, this one that absolutely I believe will change your alcohol habits if you haven't already changed them, based on information we've been hearing. But he believed that he lost his job because he wanted this out. He wanted this report out, and he says that he was technically fired for a reduction in force overhaul at the agency.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thing's happens. Economy could be tough.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it could just be a coincidence, but he doesn't think it was probably AI. He said this my He's like this report was going to cost the alcohol industry money. They didn't like going from two to one for men, and they didn't like the mention of cancer.
Speaker 1: I can understand that road. The alcohol industry is struggling they are. They are struggling, not like we are talking and borderline existential to some particular places and drinks and what was it? Oh my goodness, what am I thinking about? Where they had just they had just.
Speaker 3: Bourber Jim beam it was bourbon, Yes.
Speaker 1: Just sitting. I mean they had to do with taxes and had to do other stuff. But ro those folks aren't drinking it.
Speaker 2: Oh and wineries are shutting down like this is a issue. Absolutely, wineries are shutting down. Alcohol distilleries are shutting down. People are not consuming alcohol the way they were, and that's a good thing for the health of this country. It's certainly a bad thing if you make your money in the alcohol industry. There is no question they have powerful lobbies Washington, just like the smoking industry did for oh so long and still does to an extent. But yes, there is a fight, and it's all over money. It's not about health. I think, as you pointed out, use your common sense. It's not hard to get your head around the idea that excessive drinking, or drinking more than one drink a day could lead to premature death.
Speaker 3: Yep, that reads.
Speaker 2: I'm not shocked when you see by how much that is the shocking number I think for a lot of us. And look, I do think one drink a day is so reasonable. And look, one in one thousand you're still obviously increasing your risk of premature death.
Speaker 3: But that's a hell of a lot better than one in twenty five.
Speaker 1: Damn, that is stunning. So I hope this gets the attention that it does deserve. And if nothing else, we don't have to fight about it. You don't have to take this side of that side. But we're albad to give us all something to think about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to have information, you can make your personal choice. You can decide what risk you want to take. We all do it every day in everything we do, when we eat, how much we exercise, all of that. But knowing what our actual risks are is very important when you're making those decisions.
Speaker 1: My favorite Robes that I wanted to leave with, and we saw sort of articles on this, but they did quote a one of the scientists who was ahead of that study that was talking about sometimes drink it could be good for you or there you know.
Speaker 3: Right, socials, he's a social anxiety.
Speaker 1: They let they finished their article Robes with this quote from the guy from that study. And I quote, I don't believe anyone should start drinking for health reasons.
Speaker 3: Yes, I did see that.
Speaker 1: Even he has to. You just have to, no matter what you gotta. Like, that's common sense. We all know. Nobody should be drinking because it's going to improve your health.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: And every single sip you take hurts you in some way how bad. Don't know. Where do you fall in that one in one thousand and one and twenty five? We don't know, but that's the risk you take. But Robes, now you got a little more information, and look, that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Knowledge is power and knowledge can be life saving. So just wanted to pass along this eye popping, jaw dropping headline we saw about alcohol and how much you should be having, which apparently is almost never. I'm with that everyone, Thank you for listening to us. I'm Ami Robot alongside TJ.
Speaker 3: Holmes. We'll talk to you soon.