Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. What a crazy twenty four hours. Never seen it before and we won't see it again. Two of the greatest coaches of all time decide that they are going to well go in a different direction for Nick Saban going into retirement, Bill Belichick another NFL team.
Speaker 2: There'll be a press conference in an hour from now in New England, Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft together. Pete Carroll sounds like he wants to you know what, let's play this. It certainly sounds like Pete Carroll kind of went out the door kicking and screaming in Seattle and still wants to coach.
Speaker 3: I competed pretty hard to be the coach, just so you know, because I just wanted to make sure that I stood up for all of our coaches and the players and the things that we'd accomplished, not so that we could be the coach still, but so that we could continue to have a chance to be successful and keep your organization going. That's what I was fighting for, So in that regard, that was what I was representing in our discussions, and we got to a good part, a good clean spot where made sense and you know, I went along with their intentions.
Speaker 2: Okay, but it does sound like he still wants to coach. They said you can be an advisor, but it sounded like Pete still wants to coach. I can't imagine Pete as an advisor. Just feels like he's going to be a coach or he's going to be sitting on the beach somewhere. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. It's not wild Card Weekend. Oh no, It's Super wild Card Weekend and it starts Saturday on NBC and Peacock. It'll be the Browns taking on the Texan Super wild Card Weekend, presented by Verizon. Good Morning. If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, you can watch The Gang Saturday night in Kansas City, the Chiefs and the Dolphins on Peacock exclusively streaming. We did talk a lot about Bill Belichick and the Patriots. We talked a little bit about Mike Rabel maybe going into New England. We talked about Pete Carroll and who's gonna Maybe Dan Quinn would be the coach in Seattle he's been there before, and you'll obviously have the Nick Saban situation retiring after seventeen seasons at Alabama. Eli Gold has been there for every one of those seasons. Longtime Alabama football play by playboys, the voice of the Crimson Tide since nineteen eighty eight. Eli, your reaction when you heard that Nick was going to call it a career, Well, I was disappointed.
Speaker 4: I was surprised. I mean, we all knew eventually that was going to happen sometime, but we didn't know when. But you know, selflessly, I was disappointed. I've loved working with him. The fans, I'm sure were disappointed. But at the same time, Dan, I am happy for the coach and for Miss Terry, and for the kids and for the grandchildren. Let's face it, he has earned some time now to kick back with the family, and so for him, I'm very happy.
Speaker 2: I wonder the role that transfer portal, name, image and likeness played for maybe speeding up this process.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I can't speak for him, but I'm sure it had some impact. You know, the game has changed, it has changed, and the transfer portal has usually worked in Alabama's favor. You know, it's worked in Alabama's favor. I don't know how much this whole thing impacted him, but certainly with the game changing as it has, and you know, teams bidding a million dollars three hundred thousand, five hundred thousand, that's not the college game that Nick Saban knew and loved growing up.
Speaker 2: The importance of Saban to the SEC is what and to.
Speaker 4: All of college football then, I mean, teams and coaches have changed their approach. I mean the SEC was a CBS and Nick Saban effort, if you will, that's point number one. But yeah, he has revolutionized the game.
Speaker 5: He has taught.
Speaker 4: Everybody how to coach and how to do different things. Excuse me, he is just He is an outstanding coach, an outstanding person. He truly has a good sense of humor, although a lot of the fans don't get to see that in that forty second SoundBite from behind the podium.
Speaker 5: But he is a genuinely.
Speaker 4: Nice guy and wants what is best for his players and what's best for the game. And you know, I wish there was a position of Commissioner of College Football because he'd be magnificent to fill that position. But obviously such a position does not exist. But you know, the man's great. He has meant so much to college ball and the SEC, and of course to building the Alabama brand to where it is today.
Speaker 2: What's next for Nick Saban?
Speaker 5: I honestly don't know. He's gonna do something.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I can't imagine him just disappearing, you know, whether he becomes a broadcaster, whether he works for the SEC, I don't know. I have no idea, but he has too much to offer for him to just drift off to his new home in Florida and disappear.
Speaker 5: That's not going to happen. I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: Your favorite play that you called during Nick Saban's tenure was what it would have.
Speaker 4: To be, the two A tongueo Vlowa completion to DeVante Smith to win the national title against Georgia. Because A was a spectacular play. B It came right after that devastating sack, and it was because Nick Saban was Nick Saban.
Speaker 5: How many coaches would have.
Speaker 4: Had the guts, shall I say, to have changed quarterbacks at halftime and prought in somebody with virtually no experience. That's one thing about what's what made Nick Saban one of the greats. He wasn't afraid to change, He wasn't afraid to learn from others. He wasn't going to force feed his offense to a group of players that couldn't execute that offense. He was not afraid of change. But that play and in the aftermath of bringing to in at halftime, that was one of many. I mean, there's so many, but if you hold my feet to the fire for one, that would be it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's great to have you on and glad you're feeling better. You're not retiring right, No.
Speaker 4: No, not at all unless you know something else.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no no, I didn't. Thank you and Saban we're a package deal.
Speaker 5: No, we're not. We're separate.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'm feeling well after my cancer deal last year, and it was kind of kind of you to have me on last year to check on me, and I appreciate it, and you know it's I'm looking forward to another season.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Eli, Thank you Dan.
Speaker 5: Good to see it.
Speaker 2: That's Eli Gold, longtime Alabama football host, radio play by play, the voice of the Crimson Time. A couple of phone calls in here, and I'm going to bring back an interview I did with Nick Saban. This is a year and a half ago, and you know what can we do it now? So this is this is a year and a half ago, I think, so August of twenty twenty two, when I sit down with Nick Saban, here is the question and the answer, when's the last time you thought about retiring?
Speaker 6: I don't really think about retiring. I always think about what the heck am I going to do if I do retire? And that's a scary that's a scary thought.
Speaker 2: I don't think about it either, coach when people say how much long are you going to do this? And I go, I don't know why I like doing what I'm doing. I don't know what I'm going to do if when I stop doing it.
Speaker 6: That's exactly how I feel. And I don't know if that's hard for people to understand. There's nothing that I want to do. Like some people want to go to Europe or go to Scotland and play golf and all that. I don't. You know, I wouldn't mind doing all that stuff, but I don't have to quit my job to do it. I worry about, you know, what am I going to do if I don't do this. And when I say what am I going to do? I don't mean play golf or whatever. I mean, how are you going to get any kind of positive self gratification and feeling of accomplishment when you've done something for so long that you like so much and then all of a sudden it's not there. So that's it's a good question. I don't really have the answer to that.
Speaker 2: One who retires first? You were Bill Belichick.
Speaker 6: That's a hypothetical question that I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer. I don't know what his feelings are, so I really can't speak for him. But you know how I'm I'm kind of committed to the grind.
Speaker 2: But could I see you coach a high school team like defensive? A defensive coach for a high school team, like? Could you find satisfaction gratification doing something like that?
Speaker 6: A good question? You know, I like coaching players. When we have high school camps here or we have young players, I enjoy coaching those players as much as I enjoy coaching our players. Of course, you only have them for a day or two, but it's still the whole thought of helping somebody get better that I think is you know, coaching is teaching, teaching and nowheredy to inspire learning. So if you're doing that, I think you know there's a lot of those of their self gratification in that as well.
Speaker 2: It started out with a little bit of a joke, having some fun, and then it got a little more serious because I think that's what you think. Nick is a few years older than me, But you also think about what do you do when you retire because there's no handbook that goes along with it. I've done this every single day At certain points at ESPN, I had six days a week that I was working, but it's five days. I love the grind Monday through Friday. I love going into work and I can't imagine not working and having a day like today where you have all of these resources, all of these great guests that Fritzie lined up, all of these talking points, and I'll miss that. But Nick, I can see maybe doing some media. I don't know if he joined College Game Day maybe, but do you want to do that full time because it is a full time job when you're on the road with them, and I don't know if that is something that would get his creative competitive juices going because I don't want to go to a country club, play golf, have a couple of beers, and then do that the next day, and then the next day because it sounds like, well, that'd be great. And then it's like when you go to the beach where you're like, man, I'd never get tired of this until you get tired of this, and then you go, I need something here. So I can't imagine what that feeling must be like. But he did come to the realization as I did when I said, look, this is my last contract, and I know when I'm going to retire, and then now I have four years to prepare for that. Nick might have been preparing for the last couple of months, maybe a year or so, but until you get to that point, now you're retired, he doesn't go into work. And I ask a source yesterday, could you see Nick maybe in a role that Mike Krzyzewski has had with John Shier at Duke, sort of helping the transition by being in there just to help, because sometimes you don't want that guy that you replaced being in there, but then other times, man, what a wealth of knowledge that you could tap into that and I wonder if Nick would be there for that transitional period, if the new coach would want him there, or is it going to be you know, hey, we're done, I've done everything I can do. I'm turning and get over. We're changing the locks. Here's the new coach and good luck. Yeah, Marvin.
Speaker 7: Do you think that would only work if it was somebody from inside of the family, like somebody that was a decoordinator and they got promoted to head coach, yes, instead of maybe like Dan Lanningworth.
Speaker 2: Well Lanning used to be there, So I mean, maybe it's a little bit different if you promote from within, But I don't think Alabama is going to promote from within. It feels like all the candidates. I didn't hear anybody who is from within. Yesterday, and once again I talked to a source who said we were all surprised. There was no heads up here that Nick was interviewing candidates to be the receivers coach. Why would you think, oh, he's going to be doing interviews. Oh yeah, he's going to retire later on today. And I think that that was the surprise. But then there's part of him that probably that's part of my job until I announced that it's not my job that he wanted to help the program. But well, we've reached out to coach Saban, and you know, if we get an opportunity to have him on, that would be great. And same with Pete Carroll, Mike Brabel, Fritzy reaches out to everybody there, Sam and Saint Louis. Good morning, Sam, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Hi, five eleven, two hundred. Yep. Yeah, I just moved to Los Angeles and looking for some trude recommendations. But also I'm curious what Jimmy Jimmerson's take on all of the coaching changes are.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well, thank you, Sam. We would always say food trucks in Los Angeles, that'd be the place that we would go. Let's go to Jimmy Jimmerson get his thoughts on the coaching carousel. Jimmy, your thoughts on this?
Speaker 9: Well, this is a forty eight hours onlike anything we've ever seen before. I mean, You've got massive coaching names, all looking for a job right now, potentially retiring. We've got Nick Saban, obviously one of the greatest college football coaches of all time at Alabama. We've got Bill Belichick, the creator of the Patriots dynasty several super bowls.
Speaker 5: Did it?
Speaker 9: No, not without Tom Brady, but certainly created Tom Brady. We've got Pete Carroll, who has won a Super Bowl, has won national championship in college, still very hungry, still wants to coach right now. Those guys are trying to figure out what they're doing, and teams are looking at them.
Speaker 2: Thank you, it's Jimmy, jim. But we were talking about Hall of famers here. Teams are looking at Uh you can always tell when they send it out to somebody and they really don't have anything to add. The hell of a paycheck to get though. Oh it is. I would imagine we are we are talking about Bill Belichick here, Yes, we are. Do you have anything you can add?
Speaker 9: I mean right now there are several teams currently looking for head coaches.
Speaker 2: Yes, those would be at the top of the list. Manny in California, him anning, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Ay, DP, first time, long time, Just wanted to see what the thoughts were on would you rather would you rather have Pete Carroll's coaching career or Nick Saban's coaching career?
Speaker 2: Thanks? All right, Well, I would take Nick Saban, because Nick Saban's the greatest at his you know, in his sport. In college football, he's the greatest. Pete has a national title, a couple of national titles, and he's got a Super Bowl, done it at both levels. Not many, not many people have that. Okay, all right, Todd, Nick Saban's career or Pete Carroll.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna go Nick sabans I hear both names. That seems like a lot more wasting.
Speaker 2: See no connor.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna go Nick Saban too, but because of one reason, uh the athletic commercials uh no, okay. Pete Carroll is known for one play, oh man, no offense, just saying if Pete Carroll had two Super Bowls, no question, Pete Carroll all day, Okay, all day, Marvin, what about.
Speaker 5: You actually seeing?
Speaker 7: To correct you, He's known for two plays, not putting Reggie Bush in the game on fourth down against Texas. But that's neither here nor there. Sorry about that.
Speaker 2: I'm okay, PAULI.
Speaker 12: Pete Carroll's in the hall are very good for pro in college Nick Saban goat status. I gotta go Saban.
Speaker 2: Well, Pete's in the Hall of Fame for college football. Right, the Hall of very Good in the NFL. Right, Nick Saban is not in the Hall of anything in the NFL, but he is in the Hall of fame. He is emeritis with college football. Yes, Hunt, I.
Speaker 13: Think that second super Bowl would swing me over to Petek.
Speaker 9: Okay, two super bowls is a hell of an accomplished Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and two national titles. You'd be uh like Jimmy Johnson. That's pretty good category. All right, let me take a break. More phone calls coming up. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 14: Hey, We're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven patern But here's the thing. We never have enough time to get to everything we want to get to.
Speaker 15: And that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you blubber list me.
Speaker 14: Well, you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it. Because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 15: Well, it's a Covino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 14: Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promised and also uncensored, by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 15: There you go, over Promising, and remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Cavino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Well, I just check the latest odds from DraftKings where Bill Belichick will coach Week one next season. The odds have changed. The odds have changed this morning. The team that is the favorite right now in Week one you're Atlanta Falcons. They have moved ahead of the La Chargers. I don't know what happened in the last like three hours but probably the media coverage talking about this with the Falcons as a real possibility. Tom Pelsero, NFL network insiders, said he could see that happening. I think that's a very logical destination for Bill Belichick. Does twenty eight to three come up at all? If Bill is the Falcons head coach? Is that brought up at all? In like a joking manner? Do you do you start the press conference at twenty eight till three?
Speaker 9: Bill, let's talk compensation. How's twenty eight point three a year sounds?
Speaker 2: Can you see Belichick in a dome though? It'd be just weird. I don't know. But he's going to coach someplace, but Chargers of the second favorite there then that's the Commanders, and then not the head coach of an NFL team. I have to believe that Bill is not going to take a year off and that he wants to go to a situation where he can't like Brady. Did you know Brady wasn't going to a you know, a team that was sort of a startup, you know that they were a young team. He went to a team that was ready to win and ended up winning that Super Bowl. That's what Bill wants. But if your Bill, there's no reason to you know, play your hand at all or even let people know what you're and nobody does that. He's not going to do that. But you'd be waiting for the Cowboys or the Buffalo Bills if something, or the Eagles, if any of those three teams would bowl out in their first playoff game. I have to believe Bills at least in play How many teams would pass up the opportunity to have Bill Belichick be their head coach? Not many, I mean obviously Andy Reid. I mean you could look at the Rams situation. I mean there's a variety of situations. I don't want to be, you know, having people lose their jobs or the speculation there, but all of these franchises would at least be curious about it. I would think the winningest coach of all time, Now, would I hire him? No, I wouldn't because as great as he's been as a coach, he was not good at all as a GM or as really spotty as a GM. Is he going to come in and just be a coach? Could he come into the Commanders where they've already hired you know, the former Golden State Warriors owner or GM I get Waite? What am I getting into? Do I Carolina? Where I got that owner? Who is all he's going to be in my business? Dallas got Jerry Jones always there. Like certain situations, I can't see Bill in Yes, Don from a.
Speaker 11: Fan base standpoint, if they're the two favorites right now? Anyway, does hiring Bill Belichick make a significant difference in the excitement of the Chadran Falcon fan which has been known not to be a huge fan base.
Speaker 13: If you've taken all the NFL team.
Speaker 2: Of course, what have you had to be excited about with any of your coaching hires. Nobody was excited about Brandon Staley or Arthur Smith. You get Bill Belichick. Bill Belichick is our coach. I don't care how old he is. If you're the Falcons, you're like, hell, Yes, Chargers, absolutely, But there's certain situations where Bill needs to go in and win right away. Maybe in a span of three years. How many situations can you get? The Commanders won't be in that situation. Carolina won't be in that situation. I thought Atlanta was going to be a playoff team this year. I thought with those Guild positions, but Desmond Ritter was not a starting quarterback there. The Chargers should have been a playoff too, And I think that's what you want. You want to go into that situation where you go that team can win. You just don't realize it. It's like when Brady went to Tampa and you go, okay, all right, well, okay, that coach is fun, and they got some young defensive players, got a decent you know, got some good receivers here, Bruce arians the opposite of Bill Belichick. Okay, going to the NFC. Okay, now, so you just are you know, kind of going through the checklist in your mind of Okay, I see how this can possibly play out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, more, if you're the Falcons or the Chargers, do you want instant relevance right away first? Because if you're the Falcons, you get Bill Belichick. You're getting at least two prime time games just based off the fact that Belichick is your coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I want that, But I want him if he's going to be the face of my franchise. We're still good. He was the face of the Patriots the last four years and they weren't good. That's not why I'm going to go to a game. I'll go to a game because Bill is coaching my team and we have a better chance of being better than we were the previous year, or we have an advantage, or we have a coaching advantage going into every game in the NFL, which we never have had. I think that that would add a little cachet, a little more cachet if you're a Falcons fan. Hell yes, Chargers as well, But I do. I think the Pete Carroll or the Chargers thing, whether it could happen or not, or it's true, that'd be fun like Pete back in LA. But what's the downside here? I haven't won anything. Get Pete Carroll there? All right, that's an upgrade. Let's see Baker and Bozeman, Hi Bake, welcome back.
Speaker 16: What an amazing week, Danny. This is crazy, and I've had I've had a concept about Jim Harbaugh all week and no one's talking about it, which probably means my concept is stupid. But I'm gonna go to room this past year because my favorite moment in Monday Night Championship Ganderson Washington, Michigan is when John his brother surprised them on the sidelines and they give a big hut. You have kind of illustrated to all of us how tight knit this family is, with father Jack and everything. You know, if John took the job in Washington, it's a half hour drive to Baltimore, they could they could be the same neighborhood brothers. So I think Washington has another thing in their favorite potentially in landing Jim Harbor.
Speaker 2: All right, well I thought of that, but Tom Pelserro from NFL Network said, you know that that's still more of a start up there. New owner. You're going to get a quarterback, but they're a little ways away, and you're playing in that division. And so you got the Cowboys, you got the Eagles. Giants will be better, at least they should be, and then you have Washington. I thought it would be because of, you know, the proximity with Annapolis where he grew up. And I didn't even factor in his you know, brother John. But yeah, he's gonna have a few. The Raiders is the one that is a little bit intriguing and puzzling at the same time because Mark Davis and Jim Harbaugh probably you don't see them in the same picture, but they did they were interested in him before and Jim in Vegas. Like Jim doesn't scream out Vegas when you see him, like he's Anton. He's the guy who had to go to Vegas and didn't want to go. You know, never takes off his long sleeves as Khaki's. You know, he just he's gonna be there, doesn't want to be there for the bachelor party. But I'm here and uh, I can't wait to get home. Yeah, Pauling.
Speaker 12: One thing I love is the nuance around coaches being let go. If you you know Belichick is being let go. I mean, I know there's an agreement, but his son, Steve Belichick is the linebacker's coach of the pace. Does he get let go to is that assumed? Like did he do is? Did they get rid of the whole coaching staff? Does he have the opportunity to stay? Do you automatically obviously go with your dad? But I would just love the etiquette behind that. When there's a family member on the roster.
Speaker 2: He ain't staying on the roster. He's not staying on the right unless they go, oh my god, we can't afford to lose Steve Belichick. Yeah, I'm gonna guess they can afford to lose Steve Belichick. Let's see Alan in California. Hi, Allen, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Good morning?
Speaker 8: And I want to talk about Nick Saban.
Speaker 17: You know, he's done with college.
Speaker 18: But if I was an NFL owner and I needed a coach, I call him and.
Speaker 17: Say, hey, what about it?
Speaker 18: Because we don't know if he's interested or not. But boy, he'd be great to the NFL. And he a coach against or coach with a lot of the players in the NFL, so he knows those players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't know if he has the energy to want to do it. It certainly sounded like that, you know, And it's not where you it used to be where coaches would take like a year off, they'd have a gap year where they'd do TV and then they'd be refreshed and go back in. I mean, these guys are seventy two years of age. So I don't I just don't see that happening. Pete Carroll, I see that. I just don't see Nick going I'm not going to coach Alabama. I'm going to go into the NFL. I mean, if he was going to coach, you would stay at Alabama even though you have all of these things that led to his retirement, transfer, portal and name, image and likeness. Terry in Memphis, Good morning, Terry. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Kerrol?
Speaker 5: What's so?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 13: How you doing it?
Speaker 8: First time? Long time? Yes? I ain't birthday eighteen years younger.
Speaker 18: Okay, Hey, this is all your fault, Dan.
Speaker 8: Why Cool announced their retirement six months ago?
Speaker 2: That would be me.
Speaker 8: And you know you are leader of all men.
Speaker 2: Until they just take your leadom you're a.
Speaker 8: False if you come out, if you retract your retirement, all the world.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, thank you, Terry. So if I say that I'm not going to retire in four years, I mean Saban could have come out and said, look, I'm going to retire in four years if he was going to take, you know, use my model of retirement, which is not the way to go about it. Because I I forgot to mention that I'd signed a new contract for four more years. I just announced my retirement and then I said in four years. Didn't do it the right wayout? That yeah, I am stepping down. As of December twenty four to twenty twenty seven, on's the new contract that just send runs up Andrew in California. Hi, Andrew, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 17: DP, how you doing?
Speaker 2: Toy bud good?
Speaker 17: Five to ten? O Zempics simp slim down seventy five? Wow, yeah, I'm down from three actually, And.
Speaker 2: How is that ozemp point?
Speaker 17: Uh?
Speaker 8: Uh it's actually pretty good.
Speaker 17: Uh, it's it kind of messes with.
Speaker 12: Oh during the disclaiver.
Speaker 2: He cuts out during the disclaim, Thank you, Andrew. Yeah, I don't I don't know what it does.
Speaker 12: I lost all the way, but it caused me.
Speaker 1: Don't give up.
Speaker 13: You have busy spells yellow and here we're on.
Speaker 9: My favorite part about medicine now is that in the side effects is always the very thing you're suffering from that you're trying to get rid of. If you have, like, you know, explosive diarrhea, it'll be like, you know, uh, side effects include headaches, nausea, loss of whatever, this and that, explosive diarrhea, And it's like, what.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm trying to get rid of.
Speaker 9: How am I supposed to know if it's just a side effect of the medicine or if the medicine is not.
Speaker 2: Working at all?
Speaker 13: I got more of it now, ab dominal cramp.
Speaker 12: I do like that Ozepics on oh Oh Oh oh Zemp.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's a good band.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's not their best work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but people make a lot of money on those jingles. Skyrizzy, sky Rizzy. I don't know what any of these things do, but but you know, I watch and they seem like they're having a really good life.
Speaker 13: Like a Zariasis.
Speaker 12: They're all driving like sixty five Mustangs and the guys getting into an.
Speaker 9: Airplane to severe plex ariz Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh when they got into the bathtubs, when the uh.
Speaker 9: And all of a sudden, their bathroom turns into a forest for some reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or there's an ocean view and I'm like, because we were just painting and our hands touched. Yeah my, I know. Hey, when the moment is right, Yes.
Speaker 13: Some get angry about their disease disclisives of back off.
Speaker 17: You see.
Speaker 13: I don't have time.
Speaker 12: I like, I like how to invent the word. It's like sky rizzy. It sounds like a word.
Speaker 2: Sky is a word, and they end up with the sky. At the very end of the commercial, it's uplifting where somebody jumps into the water and then they go up into the sky.
Speaker 9: By far, the best commercial for me is the band that's playing and they're waiting for the lead singer and no one.
Speaker 2: Can find there. That's the humor band she's got.
Speaker 9: Yeah, she's got like alterative colitis.
Speaker 2: Or something or I don't know exactly what it is. She's a great Sally's taking a dump again. Just keep vamping there. Come on, Michelle, it's eleventh time this humera band.
Speaker 12: Just give us a second, Give us a second.
Speaker 9: Where Sally, we're playing the same instrumental way a fixture.
Speaker 2: She's sitting this one out.
Speaker 11: Yes, I like the woman with the bright yellow dress during like a Broadway show The Street.
Speaker 13: There's a touch of diabetes and it's a big story to tell about the play.
Speaker 2: I like how it's a touch of diabetes mode. Yeah, like you got a touch of diabetes.
Speaker 13: The little pill with a big story to tell you, Sun Lanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah you have a touch of dob Yeah you got diabetes, just the touch. Yeah, all right, let me take a break. Class ca for phone calls. What we learn what's in store tomorrow right after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live once again.
Speaker 2: Sign up for the newsletter tonight at six eastern when you get it in your inbox all the information. If you would like to join us at the Super Bowl, you will be part of the audience. We're having a studio audience every day in Las Vegas. All the details will be there at six eastern in the newsletter. Sign up for the newsletter. If you haven't done so, our good buddy Ross Tucker will join us on the program tomorrow. Fritzy did a wonderful job with the guest list today reacting to Bill Belichick being let go by the Patriots. Obviously with Nick Saban, Pete Carroll situation, Mike Rabel and we kind of turned away from any other sports news. This was it. This is once in a generation that something like this happens. It'll never happen again in our lifetime where you have coaches of this magnitude in twenty four hours, so two of the top five to seven coaches of all time, one retiring and one being fired. And then you throw in Pete Carroll. Oh, by the way, you know, I go back to when I told you guys on the show that I had talked to somebody in Seattle the previous week and they said, hey, keep an eye on Pete Carroll. And I'm thinking, what's Pete doing. It wasn't national news, it wasn't even speculation, you know, not even a rumor. And I brought it up on the show and I said, hey, you know, I was told keep an eye out for Pete Carroll that maybe he steps down. He comes out, and he's asked about it on Monday or Tuesday and he said, no, no, no, I'm planning on coaching. And then all of a sudden, Pete Carroll out in Seattle. I went, wow, been around, been around sports rover four decades. And when you say never, I mean you never say never because there's always the possibility where you go, wow. I didn't see that one coming.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I was looking back at old, old poll questions for the show, and we had a poll question years ago, who comes on this show before you retire? And the names were Michael Jordan, Bill Belichick, and Commissioner Goodell.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say neither.
Speaker 12: Do we have a better chance at Belichick if he's retired or same chance. Now, I'd say a better chance. But he's not going to retire. Well, okay, is he retired before I retire? Is Bill going to be coaching for four more years?
Speaker 2: I'm going to say no, I'm going to say he coaches for three years wherever he goes Roger Goodell, even if he wants to come on the show, I don't want him on the show now, reverse psychology. Yeah, no, I don't want No, you're not gonna say anything.
Speaker 12: You're rescinding the invite.
Speaker 2: I am. Oh, well, I don't know if there was an invitation, So Todd, you don't don't don't have to reach out to the commissioner the NFL to tell them that I'm I'm taking back my invitation for the commissioner to join us on the program.
Speaker 13: He said he could do it Monday, December twenty seven seven.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, when Ross Tucker fills in for me, that's when he'll join us. Is it just a coincidence that the NFL commissioner has been on this show twice and I was not hosting those two days.
Speaker 11: It's very blonging, Mike Florio, Yeah, I'll do it, Yeah, talker, Okay, what time you name it.
Speaker 13: Come on, what is that about?
Speaker 2: It's okay, that's all right? Yeah, Nick in Texas joining US Hi?
Speaker 13: Nick?
Speaker 17: Hey, Hi Dan, but third time calling. But I've got this idea, a package deal for the Atlanta Falcons. You sign Belichick, Tom Brady, draft a substitute, well his replacement quarterback for about three years. You play because Belichick wants to wins. But you've got Brady and you've got Belichick and the future quarterback of the Falcons.
Speaker 2: Okay, sure, bring it on. That's content for me. I'm fine with it. I don't think that Tom would be interested in doing that, although with those weapons, you know, that'd be nice if you're Tom Brady. All right, this danged sports history Paulling.
Speaker 12: Nineteen seventy three, owners of America League Baseball teams voted to adopt the designated hitter rule on a trial basis. Every went away. Two thousand and seven, here's a big one season. It was announced that David Beckham has on a five year, two hundred and fifty million dollar deal with the LA Galaxy seven.
Speaker 2: On this date, nineteen eighty seven, John Elway leads the Broncos on a fifteen play ninety eight yard drive that ends up with the game winning touchdown to Mark Jackson. Broncos go on to defeat Cleveland for the AFC Championship twenty three twenty that's driver, Thank you, ton.
Speaker 11: How that Super Bowl, Okay, we were winning ten nine at a half time in that game against the john.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and four, Donovan Mitt McNabb fourth and twenty six, twenty nine yard pass completion to Freddie Mitchell. Fred x Wright said, Fred, they beat Green Bay. They went on to win that game in overtime. That, of course was the Super Bowl where I interviewed Freddie Mitchell during the week and he didn't know the names of the Patriot defensive backs. He started giving me numbers and I said, do you know their names? And he didn't, And I just remember the Patriots loved that that they hadn't you know one of those Oh okay, we're going to show you. And then Eagle fans. They were Eagle fans who showed up at Sports Center that was in Jacksonville. You remember that, Pauline.
Speaker 12: We needed security to get you guys to and from the set.
Speaker 2: They thought that I'd set up Freddie Mitchell, which Freddie Mitchell set up Freddie Mitchell. He didn't know the names of the defensive backs for the Patriots, and I remember it was like a bit anything during Super Bowl week, you know, fantastasizes. I was like, oh my god, you.
Speaker 12: Were walking off the set and their security and I remember MARYL. Hodge goes, I'll take care of this, like Merrill was ready to go into a blocking mode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were upset. And I'm like, he didn't know their names. Wasn't my fault? I thought, Okay, you got to know, you know, Rodney Harrison and Lawyer Malloy and ty Law And he didn't. He said, oh yeah, they got like thirty and they got the thirty four in twenty four. And I go, he didn't know their names. M let's see, let's go around the room. What we learned in the program? Ton would you learn today?
Speaker 13: I love this observation by Seaton.
Speaker 11: Some medications created to help alleviate a particular element or condition may actually have side effects that exacerbate the very things that's supposed to treat.
Speaker 9: Love that, Uh seedn O'Connor, What did you learn today? Gary Danison and his crew play fast? Yeah, he's on the golf course and uh, He said that he has called probably one hundred Nick Saban games in his career. Marvin, what did you learn today? Nick Saban is retiring, but Eli Gold is not.
Speaker 2: No Eli Gold the voice of the Alabama Crinston time since nineteen eighty eight, PAULI, what did you learn to do? Nothing?
Speaker 12: Is it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like this this o zimpic is a big deal.
Speaker 12: Oh oh yes, there's some a lot of people in the media that we know have used it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, you look at him and go, you look good, And like Charles Barklay, he could go me, you look good. And then they tell you what they and you know, because you think they're working out, eating right, Oh oh oh yes.
Speaker 11: I just like when they admit what they're doing, because I think Oprah had that issue too. You know, I was just eating right and cutting down on the snacks and then ultimately you have to say, yeah, I'm taking that shot.
Speaker 2: Well, the Kardashians do that too, well. They you know, Hey, I'm getting up at five in the morning and what are you doing taking something and going back to bed at five point fifteen? Oh, you're working out. That's how you've lost all that way, of course.
Speaker 11: How there's that bariatric appointment, the yen. Yeah, they cut help your stomach.
Speaker 12: You know, I like Todd does neither neither work out nor use that stuff. Yeah, he keeps it Real's right, Todd? What did I learn today? Tom Pellisara would not rule out Pete Carroll coaching in the NFL again, even as.
Speaker 13: Soon as next season.
Speaker 14: What.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Talk to you tomorrow.