Speaker 1: Giddio and Giddia. Listener, there is a little warning because there are mentions of rape and sexual abuse in this episode. Take care.
Speaker 2: We just arrived in the Socalo.
Speaker 3: It's really crowded, a lot of people walking around.
Speaker 1: It's March of twenty twenty four, and I'm with my colleague and co executive producer of Latino USA. Her name is Penny Lei Ramidez, and right now we're at one of my favorite places in the city where I was born. It's called El Soclo, which is the main public square in Mexico. It's literally Elcason, the heart of the city. El Soclon is where everything happens in Mexico City. So maybe one day there's a concert by Paul McCartney or Prosalya, and maybe another day, like today, you're going to see dozens of police officers barricading the main buildings surrounding this plaza. Today is two days before the International Women's Day March, and so right before us is this large group of police officers. Can I ask you a question, g Lacino, what are you doing? A young police officer that I walk up to is actually laying steel fences all around the Soclo. He tells us that these barricades are meant to protect the surrounding buildings. All of this in anticipation of the upcoming International Women's Day march. They've got massive flyers. Okay, here they're gonna put another part of the wall together.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Now, you may be asking yourself, why are Mexican police putting up steel barricades throughout all of downtown Mexico City for women who are celebrating International Women's Day. And what you will hear is that the police will say that during this protests, some women, some radical protesters, do get a little violet. They have been accused, for example, of destroying storefronts or of writing the names of their abusers or rapists on the monuments as they march along the streets. But for some women, they actually believe that the government puts more money and effort into protecting buildings and storefronts than into protecting women and their safety and well being. Now, while Mexican women are getting ready to take part in what will be a massive march as usual, there's something else that's happening in the country that is completely new. That is Mexico's presidential campaign and two women are the front runners. On June second, Mexico will elect a female president for the first time in history.
Speaker 4: Mexico is having a historical process right now. I think Mexico it's like Fara de Luz, It's a lighthouse.
Speaker 1: We meet up with Susanna Ochoa. She's a young political activist. She's flat about having a woman in the highest position as the president of Mexico, but she also believes there's got to be a lot of grassroots activism still, but not everyone feels the same way. While we were in the socalo, my colleague and I remember Penny Lee Amidez. So Penni le walks up to a man who's in a wheelchair and she asks him how he feels about the upcoming election.
Speaker 5: Are you going to vote bothar porquino porquio quando mexicosta de la rigada la lagada.
Speaker 3: So this man in the socalo says that the Mexican economy is in a bad shape and that he's not planning to vote. But if you see the data, actually the Mexican economy is doing general well, so it seems like his problem is not with the economy, Maria, but with the candidates themselves.
Speaker 2: What do you think about a woman running your country, bedwindsor Bess.
Speaker 3: He told us that he is not okay with a woman running for president, and he wanted to say that it.
Speaker 2: Is a shame, a shame, a shame.
Speaker 3: And this is a paradox, Maria, because the reality is that Mexico will elect a female president before the United States. And it is true, it's not just a presidency. Right now, we have a woman leading the Supreme Court, we have a woman leading the National Institute of Elections, and half of the Congress is female.
Speaker 1: You know, that's right. Mexico has women in positions of power. But at the same time, the truth is that there is lingering sexism. There is this macho culture that is for president, and frankly, violence against women is out of control. Ten women are killed every day in Mexico, making it the fourth most dangerous country worldwide in which to be a woman, just after South Africa, Brazil and Russia. So to understand this paradox of how a country with such a violent history against women is now going to elect a woman president this hour, we're going to be reporting from my home country and understanding everything leading up to this historic election in Mexico from PRX and Fuduro Media. It's Latino USA. I'm Marie no Posa and today we're covering the presidential elections in Mexico. I traveled to Mexico with my colleague Beni Lei Ramirez to unpack this true historic moment. And before joining let you know usay, Benny Lay worked as an investigative correspondent in Mexico, and well she's been writing extensively on Mexican politics for more than a decade.
Speaker 3: Yes, Maria, and I'm happy to go with you and to report what's going on in Mexican politics right now. So in this episode, you will hear us documenting the hope for me, it's hopeful.
Speaker 4: That a lot of young women and women that are really capable are taking apart in.
Speaker 3: Politics, the anger, and you will be hearing from the two female candidates themselves.
Speaker 1: The front runner is Claudia Schenebaum. Her main opponent is Sochil Galbez. And while we're talking Mexican politics, we're actually going to start our reporting in New York City and I'm going to hand it over to my colleague Benny Lay, who's going to report from their first.
Speaker 3: It's February twenty twenty four and I'm in downtown Manhattan entering a restaurant. It's a called Sunny Saturday, and we're here because Socil Galvez has been having an event with Mexicans live in New York. I'm surrounded by mostly upper class Mexicans, like business people, like lawyers and even architects, and they are gathering here today to meet in person with Socil Galvez and she's the Mexican leading opposition candidate. Many of the people here believe that social is the hope that their country needs after six years of the presidency of Andres Manuel Lopez Oredo and his party Morena.
Speaker 6: Honestly, Morena, or the ruling party right now, is not showing what real Mexic in the future can be.
Speaker 1: I was invited to meet Sochi, who I'm a great fan of.
Speaker 3: I'm not happy with the current Mexican government, and that's why I'm here.
Speaker 2: I wanted to thank her for being an inspiration.
Speaker 3: In twenty eighteen, Lopez Vrado became the first Mexican president in this century who won the election representing a coalition that was mainly leftist. Paris and now a woman with indigenous fruits, who almost all the time is wearing a wepeel, which is a traditional Mexican dress, is trying to challenge him and his body. And this is the opposition candidate Social ads.
Speaker 5: Into Lazia.
Speaker 1: So Pennile, Again, you're an expert on Mexican politics, so phyllis in on what you can about sochilgai this.
Speaker 3: Well, she's a computer engineer and also a businesswoman. And she says Maria that when she was studying to pay for her education, she was selling yello.
Speaker 1: You mean cello, like the dessert jello. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: But now she's been in politics for the last two decades, and she was a mayor of one of the boroughs of Mexico City, and she also was a senator. And the thing is that she has this kind of unique way of Approachian politics.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's unique, it's particular, it's attention grabbing. So, for example, in June of twenty twenty three, when Sochil Galvez was a senator, she dressed up as a dinosaur to criticize electoral reforms proposed by Lopez o Brador Lace Nadora. Sochil Galvez now we say dinosaur because in Mexico, when we refer to politicians who have been around a long time, we call them dinos saudios. And so yeah, she kind of stood out on the Senate floor holding a sign that read Jurassic Plan all of this while wearing a dinosaur costume.
Speaker 3: And of course something like this will grab the attention of the media.
Speaker 1: So it worked for her.
Speaker 3: But what even worked better is when she publicly took on President Lopes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember that because Sochil Galvez arrives at the National Palace of Mexico. She's banging on the door after riding up on her bicycle. What Sochi says is that she wanted to set the record straight about an accusation that the president had made about her, and that she expected the president to open the door for her, but he refused, and this brought her well a lot of kind of performative attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course it became a viral hit and from that moment the popularity of social among the opposition in Mexico grew like crazy.
Speaker 7: A politician who seemed to come from nowhere to secure the kindi deacy of a coalition of parties for the country's presidential elections. She Sochito Gallez, the plane speaking part Indigenous senator who started off as a street vendor and now runs two tech companies.
Speaker 1: And just a few months after being chosen as the opposition candidate, Souchil Galvez is on a plane heading to New York City and her first stop is in the Bronx at the Hunts Point Vegetable Market. And it was at the market where she met up with some Mexican voters who live in New York.
Speaker 3: And then she took a bike and she went to the New York Times to meet with reporters.
Speaker 1: So Sochil Galvez seems to really like riding her bike too important places.
Speaker 2: It definitely gets hurt some attention.
Speaker 3: So after the New York Times, she toured New York for six days, and then she went off to Washington, d C. And she met with congressional committees and more members of the media. And all of this is an effort to court Mexican voters that are living in the United States and this voters matter Mania. Right now, we have over one hundred and fifty thousand Mexican voters registered to vote from the United States, and this number. It is important because just in two thousand and six, Felipe Galleron won the presidency of Mexico with a super tight margin of two hundred and forty three thousand votes.
Speaker 1: You know what, Pennilay, that was a nail binding election in two thousand and six. And it's because of that election that presidential candidates in Mexico understand full well that every single vote counts, even if it's from people living outside of Mexico. Now, the thing about Sochil Galvez Pennilay, is that she's got this pretty interesting, maybe strange coalition that is backing her. It's certainly the thing that made my eyes pop when I first heard about her candidacy.
Speaker 3: It is a coalige and that I will never thought I will see in my life.
Speaker 1: And since Penny, you've been covering Mexico for half of your career as a journalist, why don't you give us a quick rundown of Mexican politics as fast as you can for our listeners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, So this is a story. Most of the twentieth century, Mexico was ruled by a party called Partido Revolutionari Institutional or the PRE and for seven decades they run the country on a nationalist platform. Then in the year two thousand, the right wing party Partido National ORPAN won the presidency, and this is the moment that Mexicans called the transition to democracy.
Speaker 1: La cons politica de lososunidos Mexicanos.
Speaker 2: But the corruption was rampant, both in the PRE and in the PAN.
Speaker 3: So in twenty fourteen another party was founded, and it's called Movimiento re National or MORENA. And who do you think founded this third party, Maria.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take a big guess and say it is the current president. His name is Andres Manuel Lopez.
Speaker 6: Obradoral I patriot Camentel Cargo, the Presidente Republica cal.
Speaker 2: Pueblo mea con ferido.
Speaker 3: And his platform has been really anti PRE and anti PAN. But now time has passed and Morena has been also dealing with its own corruption scandals. It's also true that despite all of this, in just a decade, Morena rose from being a street focused social movement to becoming this huge ruling party that has been winning the presidency, winning most of the governorships, and also representing more more than half the Congress.
Speaker 1: That's true any lay it really was quite a rise for Morena to come from the streets all the way to the presidential palace. So we have these two candidates, the two women, but there's also a third candidate. He's a man. His name is Jorge Alberts Minus, and he really wasn't getting much attention at all until he released a song that went virals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a song called Presidente Minus, and now he has millions of views on YouTube and on TikTok.
Speaker 1: But let's get back to Sochi Galvez, who is the main opponent here, and let's talk a little bit more about that strange coalition of the pretty and the fun. Dear listener, you may be saying, what does that really mean? It would essentially mean as if the Democrats and the Republican parties would run on a joint ticket. That's how strange this coalition is.
Speaker 3: So we decided to go straight to the source and ask social directly.
Speaker 1: And that's coming up after the break. Stay with us, don't go by us. Hey, welcome back. It's let you know, USA. I'm Maria no Josa and I'm with my colleague Benny Leiramidez. Today we're covering the Mexican presidential elections, which are historic because in twenty twenty four, Mexico, a country of more than one hundred and twenty million people and one of the top commercial partners for the United States, will be electing its first ever woman president, Danny lay.
Speaker 3: Yes Maria So so far, we met up with supporters for the opposition candidate Sochi Galvez in a restaurant in Manhattan, and now we'll be talking to the candidate herself.
Speaker 1: In fact, we got a chance to do a full sit down interview with her in a midtown Manhattan studio late one evening in March. She came in surrounded by her campaign staff, which to me was a little surprising because it was all men except for one woman who was carrying her clothes. Now, Sochi was very approachable when we all first arrived, so right off the bat we asked her what she would do differently as the leader of this interesting coalition. So so chill, to be honest with you, I said, wait a second, so ChIL is running, but the pree is supporting her, the band is supporting her, And I had a little bit of a of a brain explosion. I was like, what have I seen? You're no respons So she told us that she is not the one who is responsible for the corruption that is brought on by these parties in the past. Then she doubled down and she said that if there was corruption in this coalition, that she would punish this person, even if it's within her own group. Then I asked, sochil Galbez about what this particular historic election means. Did you imagine that a Mexico could exist where a woman could be running for president in your lifetime? No, mi ma, She says she never imagined that women could be in such positions of power in Mexico, as they were always subjugated to the domestic sphere, making tortillas, bringing in the firewood. So I asked her how she defined herself, and she says that she considers herself a woman of the center left. And how do you define feminism?
Speaker 8: So you sentiva in totlus temas enuestra be the personal, and.
Speaker 1: She said that she believes in equality for all women in terms of political, economic, and reproductive rights. And to emphasize why this matters to her, she told us she suffered violence as a child.
Speaker 8: Ire brutalmentrio lento.
Speaker 1: This story has become a part of Sochil Galvez's some speech. Her father, she says, was a violent man who terrorized her as a child. One time, she tells us in the interview, he pointed a shotgun at her mother and threatened her. She says that they escaped, but that this experience marked her. And then I asked her what she thinks the solution might be for this kind of gender based violence in Mexico. Ins what so she said to us was that women in Mexico need a support system in cases of violence, and that men need to know that if they commit violence against women, they will be prosecuted. Then we moved on to another topic which actually matters to Mexican voters in the US. Here's my colleague, Pennilet, So.
Speaker 8: What are your thoughts regarding immigration Mexico, Comette reverro Guando Ceta.
Speaker 3: She said, Mexico made a big mistake when it agreed to the Remaining Mexico Program.
Speaker 1: Now, remember, Remain in Mexico was a policy implemented by Donald Trump. It required migrants seeking asylum to remain in Mexico as they awaited their court dates in the United States, which had never happened before.
Speaker 3: So Basically, what she is proposing is that Mexico continues with the program as long as the United States gives money. So that Mexico, and I'm going to emphasize this because it's a direct.
Speaker 2: Port from her treats immigrants with the dignity that they do.
Speaker 1: Now, that's an interesting choice of words. So then I asked her what she would plan to do instead, So, what is your fresh new approach towards the issue of immigration, Pomena Mundi. Now, she did not really answer the question, but she did say to us that we needed to understand that immigration is a worldwide problem and therefore the solution, she said, was to sit and talk.
Speaker 8: Since Semossa Marino is the place.
Speaker 1: She replied that if we don't sit and have a dialogue, young people will keep dying on both sides of the border.
Speaker 3: For over an hour, we spoke about Mexican politics, and we questioned her plans for the government if she was to come to power.
Speaker 1: Then, in the middle of it all, kind of out of nowhere, the so ChIL Galvez threw some serious shade at her opponent, Claudia shame bomb yok Okay Clauda. She so ChIL Galvez told us that her rival would never give us a chance to do an interview like the one she did with us. Well, obviously we wanted to get that interview with Claudia shame bomb, and we wanted to talk with other Mexican voters on the ground witnessing this historic ellection.
Speaker 3: So we got on a plane and we traveled to Mexico City.
Speaker 1: So we are beginning our first day of reporting on the ground in Mexico City. I barabarrier. We're stuck in traffic. This wall is pretty intense. I'm like pretty hot, it's very hot.
Speaker 3: Actually, we were on our way to a market in Istapalapa, and this is one of the poor and biggest towns of Mexico City. The population here is over one point eight million.
Speaker 1: We had heard that Sochi Galvez was having an event here. We are now coming upon the part of the market and there are people gathered. They are all Soachi supporters. I see a man carrying a flag of the bun the Bartido, a national.
Speaker 2: We approach a fifty year old woman. She is a street vendor.
Speaker 3: She is selling to status and she says that she's a strong Galvez supporter.
Speaker 1: So what in particular, do you like about Sochisona.
Speaker 3: She says that she likes Galvez because she is humble.
Speaker 1: And then as we're walking away, another woman in the market started literally yelling a political slogan at us, all of this in support of Claudia. Shamebam again. She's the candidate coming from the ruling party of Morina. So no no starko claudialloies so no.
Speaker 2: No estarco Claudiao.
Speaker 1: Obviously, we approached her to find out more, because who yells at reporters just like that? Why did you start screaming for Claudia? Just as we walked by Mostrado, she tells us that she believes that Claudia is the one who has shown true solidarity with the people. Now you might be wondering, dear listener, who exactly is Claudia Shanbaum. She represents the party in power, but she is a candidate all on her own. So Penny tell us a little bit more about Claudia Shanbaum.
Speaker 3: So Shanbaum was born to a secular Jewish family in Mexico City.
Speaker 2: She is a scientist.
Speaker 1: Actually it's interesting because she's a scientist, but she was a political activist and this started decades ago when she was a university student.
Speaker 2: I'm from as beginnings.
Speaker 3: She went on and she became the Secretary of the Environment of Mexico City, and all this happened in the early two thousands when Lopez o Rador was the city major and since then their political careers have been united.
Speaker 1: Then in twenty eighteen, Claudia becomes the mayor of Mexico City, which is huge, it's one of the largest cities in the world. And at the same time Andres Manuel Lopez o Rador becomes the president. So yes, their political careers are connected. They have a close relationship.
Speaker 9: Yer Mumino well, she the center Andre Man's douin Mosam.
Speaker 1: The opposition likes to say that Claudia Schambaum got this coveted position because of her loyalty to Lopez Obrador, and she says that claim is misogynistic.
Speaker 5: Or do you want to start and applica.
Speaker 3: What is true is that to this day Lopez of Rador still has a high approval rating and now his followers are supporting Claudia as well.
Speaker 2: And we got a sense of this when we met with this guy.
Speaker 6: San Andres re Travez, San Manuel to Pueblo.
Speaker 3: His name is Armando Monterre and he's selling well Lopez of Rador stuff just a few steps from the National Palace where the president.
Speaker 2: Tell us, why you.
Speaker 3: Have an entire stand with amlos souvenirs and now Claudia souvenirs.
Speaker 6: Because people ask for it. I mean, we started with a few things and then people come saying why don't you do like keyholders and other things like like magnets and stuff pants or spends.
Speaker 1: So what's going on with Claudia? And shamebam.
Speaker 6: She's so popular right now because we expect her to be the Mexico president, and for what we're seeing around here, people loves her too.
Speaker 1: What about you? The people loves me too. We left El Sookalo and continued on our tour of Mexico City, which by the way, included our search to get the interview with Claudia Shanebaum because for months we've been sending emails, making calls and we haven't gotten a lot of response.
Speaker 3: And then we learned that Claudia was hosting a rally in a small town in the outskirts of Mexico City.
Speaker 2: The name of this place is Tulti Land.
Speaker 3: So of course, we woke up super early, we changed our entire agenda for the day and we went there. We are in front of the Palazio Municipal and we are waiting for the moment when Claudia Shameebaue arrives.
Speaker 2: We were told that.
Speaker 3: Between seven thousand and eight thousand people are going to be gathering today here.
Speaker 1: This was a presidential campaign rally, like so many that I've covered in the United States. So we found a supporter who, like many of these folks, had traveled quite a bit to get to this rally. Why did you want to come with your nephews today, Imania? She said that she plans to support Claudia Shamebaum because she believes that she's the best candidate for the presidency. And then we asked another supporter who was there, and she responded by saying, it's not just Claudia that she's voting for, but she wants to vote for the entire party of Morena.
Speaker 3: And after almost two hours of waiting, Claudia finally arrived.
Speaker 1: I was expecting her to make something of a bigger grand entrance, but she kind of walked slowly through the center of the crowd, waving and shaking hands and hugging people and taking selfies, and then she walked up to the stage.
Speaker 3: In her speech, she said that this is a time for women. But then she started talking about Lopez o Rador and his government accomplishments, and she said that she will continue implementing his policies.
Speaker 1: Now, dear listener, we are not going to get into all of the particularities of trying to lock down an interview with a presidential candidate. But what we did do is make the decision to go to this event, and that did lead us to getting a yes. We were told that we would get five minutes with the candidate after her speech, and well, because Claudia Schenbaum spent four years living in Berkeley, California when she was working on her PhD, she agreed to speak with us in English. It's very emotional to think that there will be a Mexican woman running the presidency. You know, I'm talking to one of the most powerful Mexican women in the country. What's going on for you? What's in your heart?
Speaker 9: It's responsibility. I know I represent the Mexican women. I know I represent my ancestors and my daughter, my granddaughters.
Speaker 1: What is your message to Latino Mexican voters in the United States about this election in your candidacy, We're.
Speaker 9: Going to fight for them for their rights, and we're going to fight for the families in Mexico. We want welfare for all the Mexicans.
Speaker 3: Now, you have said a few days ago that Biden and Trump should stop stop talking about the Mexican elections. Why you said that and what's your plan regarding immigration?
Speaker 9: The best way to reduce migration is to invest in the countries where people have to live and want to go to the US. Either if Biden wins or Trump wins. There are a lot of problems in the US, and it's better that their campaign not use Mexico as the problem. We are not the problem. We're part of the solution.
Speaker 2: What's going to be unique about your government.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, I'm a scientist, so I'm going to put a lot of effort in science and development. We're going to go for women rights, and we're going to continue bringing education, a good health system for the people, housing, and what I call the rights for the Mexican people.
Speaker 1: Interestingly, while we were prepping for this interview, I found out that when Claudia was mayor. She organized a boxing class in the middle of the Sokalo as a kind of Guiness World Records competition, and well, I'm a dedicated boxer, So I asked her about this at the very end of our interview.
Speaker 5: Are you a boxer?
Speaker 1: I'm a fighter, and I would call that a touchet.
Speaker 3: Well, now we have the two female candidates on the record, but this election is not just about them.
Speaker 1: So when we come back to your listener, we're going to hit the streets of Mexico City. We're going to cover the International Women's Day protest, and we're going to hear from women voters about this historic presidential election in Mexico. Stay with us. Yes, Hey, we're back and we're covering the historic Mexican presidential elections where a woman will be president this year. And we've spoken now to both candidates, Claudia Schambaum and Sochil Galvez, and I'm reporting this story on the ground with my colleague Beni le Ramidez, so Benny Ley. Mexico is known as being a country that is machista, but it does raise a question, right, which is, how does a country get to a point where it has two female candidates running for president. I mean, how does it happen?
Speaker 2: So it took a lot of years, Maria.
Speaker 3: Since twenty fourteen, so a decade ago, Mexico has been approven several bills around gender party.
Speaker 6: The same SIE devotes head project to Cretopulic as a reformer Premier Articul.
Speaker 3: It was actually female legislators who have been pushing for an amendment to the Constitution, and this amendment demanded that women occupy at least fifty percent of all nominations for office. And after years, the Congress finally approved it and it became law in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Mexico is one of only six in the world to have achieved gender parity in Congress. So, you know, right now, in the United States, we like to think that there's equality, but even though we have a record number of women in the US Congress, it's only twenty eight percent percent of seats that are held by women. So Mexico is actually way ahead of the game compared to the US when it comes to gender parity in politics.
Speaker 3: And in Mexico, this law applies to the all three branches of government, so the municipal, the state, and the federal.
Speaker 1: And when I think about politics in Mexico as a kid, the notion of women having parody and being in power, I mean it was like a pipe dream.
Speaker 3: Yes, But more women elected and in public service doesn't mean that life is easier for women in general. Violence is still very high against women in Mexico.
Speaker 7: A crime for justice at the funeral for Lustra queer padilla and life was brought to a brutal end when a killers Downstown with petrol and center on fire.
Speaker 1: As a society, we reached our lowest point.
Speaker 4: This crime went under the radar because of all of the violence were surrounded by.
Speaker 3: That's the thing, maney, Yeah, that more women holding positions of power. Actually, gender based violence is on the rise in Mexico.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In fact, national survey data has revealed that seventy percent of women in Mexico have experienced some form of violence in their lifetimes and that for forty percent of women, that violence comes from a partner.
Speaker 3: So how is it that in the same country where women are systematically of use, we end up having two female presidential candidates.
Speaker 1: And in order to understand this pretty profound paradox, we spoke with the Dicia Bonifas, who is getting ready to attend the International Women's Day March.
Speaker 5: Inton says cibo ya la marcha ado sannos.
Speaker 1: Monifaz is a Mexican lawyer, one of the top experts on gender equality in all of Latin America. So we asked her about the fact that Mexico is going to have a female president before the United States.
Speaker 5: Sinos moestre Mexico yego only.
Speaker 1: Bil Mexico is at a level Latisia said that is comparable to Argentina, Brazil, or Chile, all of which have had female presidents. And then she said there must be something going on in the US that in this upcoming election you have a rematch between two old men, both with very polarizing policies.
Speaker 3: And then she told us that there is an international Bill of Rights for women that protects them against all forms of discrimination. One hundred and eighty nine countries have signed it so far, and the United States is not one of them.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sorry to say that I'm not surprised by that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, on paper, Mexico might seem more advanced than the United States, but as I said before today, there are still huge unresolved issues for Mexican women.
Speaker 2: Remember this, About ten women are killed every day in Mexico.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it is because of the violence related to drugs or to human trafficking, but most of the times it is a domestic issue, so women are killed by their intimate partners or by the relatives and impunity for judicial cases.
Speaker 2: It is still at over ninety five percent.
Speaker 5: Nomos logrado at the Reserve Como el Mexico.
Speaker 3: So, according to Leticia, Mexico is well positioned in terms of political representation, but terrible in terms of violence against women.
Speaker 1: And that's why we decided to attend the International Women's Day March as part of our street coverage. So we got to the march around three o'clock, almost two hours after it had started. It was packed with thousands and thousands of women. In twenty sixteen, there were six thousand people marching. This year it was over one hundred and eighty thousand.
Speaker 3: And we saw women walking, dancing, holding signs, chanting, and also jumping.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this was in fact one of my favorite chants in the march. And the women are saying, if you don't jump, you're a macho. So of course everybody starts jumping. I mean even me, so all around me women are wearing purple and green, which are the colors that signified justice, dignity, feminism, and support for the legalization of abortion. I have to say, we saw young women, older women, were women. We saw women wearing well, kind of racy clothes. And this is to say that when you're part of this march, as a woman, you get to dress however you want. In this march, you're going to be safe, and so women just show off their bodies.
Speaker 3: And it was really something to see.
Speaker 1: Now, the streets were in fact lined with hundreds upon hundreds of police officers, but the ones that we saw were all women, So of course we went up to speak to a couple of them.
Speaker 5: The men.
Speaker 3: Listen on the last movie.
Speaker 1: This particular officer said that she was happy to participate in the march, even if from the sidelines. She said she loved witnessing other women telling their stories and feeling free, even if just for a day.
Speaker 3: From there, we kept marching and we met this young girl and she was wearing this heavy makeup and a mini dress and on her arm written with a sharpie, she had her name, her phone number, and a message that said that she was allergic to ibuprofend.
Speaker 2: And she said that this was for her own safety.
Speaker 1: What does your sign say?
Speaker 6: You can watch me, but you can touch me.
Speaker 1: The two women who are running as a young feminist, You're like, you're not You're not buying it. Why not isab? She said she's happy about having female candidates, but she does not feel represented because of everything that is behind these candidates.
Speaker 2: As we continued on the chance.
Speaker 3: Were louder and louder, and most of them were against violence. They were screaming, whoever to them alive, bring them back alive. We approach another woman and I asked her why you're here today for women, for my niece, so that we can come back without having to tell someone that we came.
Speaker 2: Back safe, and I can just wear whatever I.
Speaker 3: Want without feeling like someone's gonna harass me in the street.
Speaker 1: We marched for hours. We walked more than one point five miles from the start of the march at the Monument of the Mexican Revolution two elk, which is the final stop, and there we heard something called batucadas.
Speaker 3: And also cumbia. But of course, even though we were attending the march as journalists. We also at times got emotional because we are not only Mexican women.
Speaker 2: In my case, you one Mexican.
Speaker 1: I'm Mexican American, but.
Speaker 3: Also because we have been living through that same violence and impunity.
Speaker 1: Now, dear listener, I have to be honest with you. As a journalist, I cover protests, but I don't really participate in them. But this was a highly emotionally charged moment and march suddenly I found myself with a sharpie in my hand, and I was writing the name of my rapist on one of those steel barriers. And honestly, this was just a very unexpected moment. So it says, and I just wrote this on the wall. It says he raped me when I was sixteen. I never said yes. I don't have shame in saying that. And as a journalist, I have to speak the truth. I'm a survivor, and I identify with so many of the women here who have also been raped and assaulted. And part of the moment is to write his name on this wall, which I did, so thank you.
Speaker 3: Almost an hour later, and just after the sunset, we finally made it to the Ccalo, we heard a chance saying feminism is gonna win, is gonna win. We were exhausted, but at the same time beaming with energy, so we made it to the end of the marsh. How do you feel, Maria.
Speaker 1: I feel like the women of Mexico have got so much tenacity and energy and spirit. There's a lot of solidarity and it's so powerful to be out here. It was something I always wanted to do, and now I want to come back as a Mexican.
Speaker 3: Woman because if we come back next year, we will see how Mexican women are reacting to having a female president inside the National Palace and all this even here that are saying it's not enough just to be a woman.
Speaker 2: You need to do things.
Speaker 1: You need to have an openly feminist government, and having a woman president, according to the women who are many of the women who are marching here, is a step, but it's not going to solve the problems.
Speaker 2: But there was one thing missing in the Socaalo.
Speaker 1: Maria, Yeah, and it was a big thing that's missing.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Mexican flag, this huge monumental flag that is always waving at the center of the square, and it was just not there.
Speaker 2: Is never there for these marches because.
Speaker 3: The government makes a point of removing it. So when the world sees these pictures of the Women's March, they won't know that these images are from Mexico.
Speaker 1: Well, Penny, the Mexican flag might not be flying in the Sokolo, but the symbolism is there regardless. And yes, while Mexico is a machista country, it's also a country filled with powerful women, both in and out of politics. It's a country where huge debates are happening now on social justice, on political rights, militarization, feminism, class issues, human rights. I mean, you name it. There will be a Mexican woman in the presidential palace elected this year. And so the question might be, dear listener, which country is more machista, Mexico or the United States. This episode was produced by Fernando Ernandez Becerra, Beenie Ramirez, and Roxana Aguire. It was edited by Mitra bon Shahi. It was mixed by Stephanie Lebau and Julia Caruso. The Latino USA team includes Victoria Estrada, Brinaldo, Leanos Junior, Andrea Lopez Grusado, Jni mar Marquez, Marta Martinez, Mike Sargent, Nor Saudi and Nancy Trujillo. Benileei Ramirez is our co executive producer. Our marketing manager is Luis Duna. Our theme music was composed by Senia Rubinos. I'm your host and executive producer Maria jo Josa. Join us again on our next episode. In the meantime, I'll see you on all of our social media, especially on Instagram. Ex di do ya tu savez not teva yaes chao.
Speaker 2: Latino USA is made possible in part by the Ford Foundation, working with visionaries on the front lines of social change worldwide, the John D. And Catherine T.
Speaker 3: MacArthur Foundation, and the Heising Simons Foundation, unlocking knowledge, opportunity and possibilities.
Speaker 2: More at hsfoundation dot org