Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory Spelling and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: We should talk about Ottawa.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So I was in New York with my first husband, Charlie, and things were not going great. And Mike and Chris, why were you guys.
Speaker 4: In New York.
Speaker 3: Because you bought You bought so many persons that year. I had to go do a movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, okay, I got this wrong. Okay, I know, Okay, So no, the story goes this. I was going into debt because I had spent thirty thousand dollars on Rachel's styled me for a two day weekend, and and I am in anticipation that I was going to be back and making the big books on a big series on NBC. Anyway, it didn't go. Then, in the middle of VH one, wondering if they were going to pick it up or not, I got offered a Lifetime TV movie and I was like, oh, dreading going It was going to film in Ottawa, Canada. And to be honest, I don't think I even read the script. I think it was called Mind Over Murder. I started to read, and I'm like, it's fine, it's fine. I'm just gonna like and The odd part is my husband at the time was super positive and encouraging, and he said, you should do this and this is gonna be great and told me all the positive things about doing it. I was like, you're right, you know, I should be grateful and I should. You know, it's a starring role in a lifetime movie. I should go and do it. So the other stuff I had bought from Rachel's besides like cause I was like, oh, it's just a two day thing. And then I'm like, oh, She's like, but you need this and you need this. I'm like, yeah, I do, Yeah, I do the new me. So I packed all that up that I'd never even need while I was filming for Ottawa in three weeks.
Speaker 5: At this point when you did that movie, we had just been picked up by v H one for ten episodes, and you know, the pilot was going to be the first, so we had we had to break nine stories. So Ruthan calls and she's like, listen, I know, you guys need need to meet with Tory. But she's in New York and then she's going to Ottawa and we're like why and she's like, oh, I mean, you know, she just she needs, she needs, she needs to work. But we met you in New York and great, we broke. We broke those nine episodes in your apartment.
Speaker 4: Wait, I just want to say one story. When we came. We came to New York, and I feel like it was the first time we saw you and you had like blood on your forehead.
Speaker 2: Tell that story, Mike. I'm sorry, I'm about to tell that story.
Speaker 4: All right. I don't know, I don't know what's happening at least just at the stage were meeting you in your apartment to break these stories in New York.
Speaker 2: In New York, so I was staying in my friend Jennifer's apartment. She was away for the summer, and I was staying in her apartments. My first husband, we had just been married one year. He was staying with me, and then he was going to Massachusetts right to see his family and I was going to go to Autawa film my movie. Now, Zach Quinto was also in New York because at the time, so I was with him predominantly, and he was staying at my apartment with me, which was my friend Jennifer's apartment. And yeah, we were staying there and I was just like I was telling him like I'm not happy, like I feel like I can't be myself in front of my first husband. It was like a it was like a situation. And then on top of that, you guys flew out so we could have meetings before I went to Ottawa, and I set up this because I was like, I you know, I love a good psychic. I was like, I don't know what to do. I'm at a crossroads. I'm married. I thought I was doing the right thing. I turned thirty and I was like, I've always ate the bad boys, you know, and it's time to date someone great. And he had a great family and he was great and he was a writer and super good guy. And but you know, there was a side to me that he just didn't like, which, you know, not that he didn't like it. It was too dirty for him and too you know. But that's a big part of.
Speaker 3: Me is he was trying to tone you down.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: It's hard to tone me down. Many have tried to break me. Haven't even successful like that Philly, that won't be broken. Oh my god, it's like an entre now. But I'm not anymore. Wait, so, so I'm not the filling that that cougar that won't be broken. That doesn't sound sexy anymore, does it anyway? So I was like a friend who was actually his friend had been like, oh, I went to New Orleans and there was a high voodoo priestess and she had helped me through all these issues and she had a lot of dating stuff I remember, and it like changed her life around dating.
Speaker 3: And this was a friend of Zach or a friend of sorry, friend.
Speaker 2: Of Charlie my best yeah, his best friend Kelly. And she had told me about it, and so I didn't say, like, you know, I'm kind of second guessing things with Charlie and I don't know what to do because it's only a year into the marriage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I knew that part of it. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: So she was like, yeah, she had seen her in New Orleans during what during Marti Gras and yeah, during Marty Gras, and she had done this like stuff on her and she was like it works, it works. And I was like okay, and she's like, but she resides in Brooklyn, so if you're ever there, and I was like, that's probably not going to happen. But I was in New York. I was going through this crisis. Zach was staying with the department. You guys were flying in. I was like, oh my gosh, I was acting out. I was just like, I'm not happy in this marriage. And I was like, I got to set this. And Maron was actually who played who Zach's character Sasan is based on. He was also in New York and that particular day, I like found the number I called. I booked this appointment with Mama Lola in Brooklyn, and I was going to do it. Morn and I were supposed to do it together and he ended up canceling on me and flaked on me, and I was like, you know what I'm in. I never went anywhere by myself at that point or now ever why I had so many kids, But it's like I remember being like, you know what I'm going to do it. I'm at a crossroads. I need to find someone to give me advice. So I I was scared. I didn't at the time. There weren't ubers and stuff right, and I was gonna take a taxi in New York because I was like a Beverly Hills girl and didn't know. So I think I hired like a limo company to take me, and I was supposed to meet with you guys afterwards. So I had set it up and we were going to meet for lunch and break some stories. And before that, I fit in Mama Lola. So I get taken down to Brooklyn and it was like this little house and if you don't know the story, you should know the story. It's it was genius. It was straight out of like a horror film, you guys, like. I walked in and there was like candles burning and like what was And they took me down to a basement, you guys, abasement like it's it's like things you never come back from. But I was so like this has this has to have an ending, like this is going to help me. And long story short, she was like, do you like chicken? I was like, I'm fine with chicken. It's pretty good. I prefer steak, but cool, and she meant, are you fine with chicken? Because she sacrificed a chicken in front of me. She put like the chicken's blood and she was saying things like her life for your life, her life for your life. And I was like, oh my god, this is my life and then and like smearing the chicken blood on me. And I was so terrified that I was just like trying to stay like present in my body. And then remember, oh, remember she said, give me your underwear, so I gave her. So I gave her my g string and and she said she had to go bury it somewhere. I have to go bury it. She was going to bury it. And then and then I and then this was all said and done. I was like, oh my god, and she was going to change things, and things weren't right in my love life. And I was like I know, I know, and and things weren't right financially. I was like, I know, I know. And she was like, it's all going to get better. It's all going to change. And I had to do. She gave me these potions. I had to like I couldn't take a bath, right, I had to like stay in this. And I had like crusty like blood, like a cross of a chicken blood across my forehead and she had put all this other stuff on me. Oh remember the I.
Speaker 5: Was just gonna say that, that's right.
Speaker 3: She do that, and I my god, I remember it. We used to get traumatized.
Speaker 5: When Mike and I showed up at the apartment, it was the first time we'd seen you.
Speaker 4: It wasn't I met you lunch on the Upper east Side somewhere, I thought.
Speaker 5: Correct and I don't want to say anything, and of course Mike is immediately it's like, oh god, Tori.
Speaker 3: It looked terrible.
Speaker 2: So at the time I didn't realize. I was so traumatized that she slaughtered a chicken in front of me. I'm a huge animal lover. I was just like terrified. I'm in a basement, you guys, concrete Like the light if there's a light, it was like a light bulb swinging. There were candles. There were all these statues, remember with big cocks, Like it was like it's supposed to be like a god like thing. I don't know. It was like I was like, this is like Silence of the Lambs. This is like every horror film.
Speaker 6: I seens like a fertility She did stuff with people for that too. So there was a lot of statues with very large like penises all up and down the staircase in this concrete basement, and I just like, I don't know. I didn't I didn't think I was gonna die, but I thought I was gonna die, but I was.
Speaker 2: Like, no, you watch too many horror films. I was like, wow, my overactive creative imagination is finally coming to fruition in this one story. And I'm never gonna make it out alive to even tell people about this, which is wild because this is what I do. Crazy things happened to me, and I tell people about it and we you know, we make podcasts about it. Here we go. But anyway, I did make it out, but she said you have to come back in one day, and she had given me for a milk bath, and I was like, come back, I have to come back here. And I was like what do I owe you? And she's like it was donation based. I think I gave her two hundred dollars. I didn't know what to do and I was like, I can't believe I have to come back here. So I said, okay, but I remember going to meet you guys sitting in the back of you know, I rented a limo, and I was just like, this is what it feels like to be the last girl standing, like main character energy. You're like the final girl in the horror film and you're going down. You've left the scene and you've made it. And I was literally like sitting there staring into nothing. I was like, I was traumatized. Which I then ran to the restaurant because I was late, and I sat down, and you guys noticed that, like something wasn't right. The reason we really noticed something is Mike goes ill tarring, you have something on your forehand, and I was like what. And meanwhile they had ordered lunch. Mike always orders chicken, and I hadn't told them this story. I couldn't even speak yet, and he had just ordered chicken, and then he goes, what's on your forehead? We realized that there was the chicken's dried blood in a cross across my forehead and we're sitting in this upscale restaurant, so he's like picking it off and anyway, I then go I just like the diarrhea. I tell them the entire story of what just happened, and they promptly said that's going to be an episode, and it was. And who starred in and his mama, Lola.
Speaker 4: Whoop Goldberg, who we had just done a show with her and she's so fantastic. We loved her. We still love her. And she knew your father of course from soap dish and I'm sure other things, and she knew you and she was just like so game and was just really fun and I had no idea she would really do.
Speaker 3: I mean, we called him, We're like, I don't know if you really do this. She loved it.
Speaker 2: We had the best time. And she doesn't fly, so she has like she took her bus like a tour bus, you guys, and took it to La to film with us for a week and it was still to this day one of the best experiences. I was so terrified because I was like, how could I ever Like, I didn't feel worthy of performing against Whoopi Goldberg and Jumpin' Jack Flash was like my old time favorite movie. I know, not like one of her like major ones, like, but I'm just saying like that was. I was such a huge fan of that movie, which I ended up telling her at one point she was like, wait, it was underrated. I'm like best one.
Speaker 5: Oh God.
Speaker 4: Chris and I ended up directing episodes, and I can't remember which one of us was directing that episode. I think it was me. Actually we did.
Speaker 7: We did a coin toss and you you won the Whoopy episode, So that was a whole nother layer to it, but that that was just indicative of the show, like we were all such a team collaborating and working together that like the directors, if they couldn't get on the same page, it would which most of them could, but if they could end, if we had the twist arms, it was not good.
Speaker 4: So that, to their great credit and to my forever gratefulness, they allowed Chris and I to direct, which was, you know, our first directing stuff, and it was it was super fun for us, I hope for you it was.
Speaker 2: Will you tell this story? What did Whatopi Goldberg say about me and what she wanted to do with me?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's so funny. I didn't know that you even knew this. I was just going to tell the story that she wanted to do a remake of Baby Jane with Torri Spelling.
Speaker 3: Isn't that what she said?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I took that as a compliment. What do you know? To this day, the three of us still talk about that, like we should get that. Whatever happened to Baby Jane remake with me and Whoopy Goldberg? Like hello, wait, that's like a traveling show. That's our list of something we'll never do perfect anyway. But anyway, so that storyline was created, which later became an episode, like we said, which Whoopy Goldberg was in. But the next day I had to go to Ottawa and do this Lifetime movie. And I had convinced Chris and Mike or maybe Ruth Anne had that since I was scared of flying, right, or it was a passport issue, why was I not.
Speaker 4: Talking from New York to Ottawa Because you said you were scared of flying on a small plane and there were only small planes, so that's what it was.
Speaker 3: You didn't want to prop.
Speaker 4: We were on this fucking limo forever, and I'll i'll need.
Speaker 2: To go through the border, remember because my passport something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got to the border and you didn't have your fucking passport in my life. We had to like go around and then somehow I like I never knew there's like a VIP passport thing where they were able to like fax your passport to some other. But it was like it was a huge delay and.
Speaker 2: I was ten hours.
Speaker 3: We were ten hours in this limo.
Speaker 5: And my favorite thing is Tori had been on Mike for months about wearing birkenstocks because they were they were not particularly fashionable at that moment, and Mike.
Speaker 2: They are now, but at the.
Speaker 5: Time she'd be like, oh God, I don't want to have to look at those. And so we're we're at like our seven and all of a sudden, the power window goes down and we're on the freeway going like sixty miles an hour or whatever, and I see her pick up his Burkens Tuck. She's dangling it out the window as if he's just gonna let.
Speaker 3: It go flying. And then he's like, no, toy, give me my show. And it was like brother and sister. It was very cool.
Speaker 4: But then she when we were in Ottawa, she ended up throwing it off the roof of the building.
Speaker 2: Did you ever find it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I found it. Otherwise otherwise you would have gotten a bill, of.
Speaker 2: Course I would. So yeah, ten hour drive and I was like, don't worry, We're going to break so many stories and episodes. I don't think we got much done during that ride, right.
Speaker 5: Not during that ride, but we got we have like the whole season broken in just a couple of days. Like it's the little white board sheets that we had up on the wall and your in.
Speaker 2: My hotel, my hotel, Yeah, in Ottawa, the magic Markers.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, we certainly broke the Mama Lola story, right.
Speaker 2: And we also broke Canada, which was based.
Speaker 3: On on that stay.
Speaker 2: That stay in Canada when.
Speaker 5: You walked into the shower and you come out, You're like, oh, there's soap and shampoo dispensers.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I was so naive then. Now that would be considered a good hotel. If they have, I'd be like winning. But that is also the trip where I met Dean, because Dean was my leading man, and everyone knows how the story went, but Mike and Chris were with me, and there was going to be a cast dinner and it was like all the producers and me and Dean because he was the leading man and we had just met that day, and we ended up going out for a cast dinner, and I convinced Mike and Chris to go, and they went, and then afterwards we decided to go out for drinks. Mike went home, Chris stayed with me. I still ish Ish and I still tell Chris to this day that I blame him for everything. I don't blame you. I should thank you, because I had Dean and I have five beautiful children together.
Speaker 5: But we do. I'm trying to remember did we all meet in the lobby. I have this memory of being in the lobby before the dinner. Is that was that the moment you met Dean the first time? Or had you met him earlier in the day.
Speaker 2: So I met him earlier in the day. I was sitting in the director's office and I remember I had gone into wardrobe first, and I was like, I was so not invested in this like TV movie, and I was just going because I was like I should be doing it right now to pay the bills, like oh my gosh, and yeah. I didn't even ask who the leading man was. And when I got to wardrobe, they had like xerox pictures of all the casts on the wall and they said, oh, have you met your leading man Dean McDermott, And I said no, when they said, oh, it's him, and they pointed to a picture of a guy and it was a totally like clean cut, like look like a cop type role. He always played detective, so he had a headshot like that and I was like, oh, I go hmm. And I remember like thinking, oh, that's a bummer, but not like hello, your mayor. But I was like not happy, and I was just looking for some like approval, like some excitement. So I was like, oh, my leading man's not that cute. Whatever, fine, And then I went and met with the director and I was talking with the director and sitting across from him at his desk, and there was a knock at the door and he said, oh, Dean's here, you should meet and he opened the door and I remember I turned around looking over my left shoulder and looking up and we locked eyes and he was totally different than what I expected. He was totally like his hair was longer, he was scruffy, he was dressed cool and his blue eyes and I was like, oh god, I'm in trouble. Like he was hot, and yeah, that's the first time we met. And then the lobby, like he really sealed the deal that night because he I remember I came down to the lobby and he was like he looked down and he was like at my purse and he was like Balenciaga. I was like, oh my gosh, you know purses. I was like yes, And then I was like, do you know Rachel Zoe So anyway, I had just got this new purse that I can't afford. No, I didn't tell him that, but the timeline adds up. But I was so impressed that he knew purses. And then you guys met him, and then we went to dinner, and then we went to a bar, and then I kissed him, right Chris.
Speaker 3: Remember see, I'm not remembering the bar. I'm remembering the dinner.
Speaker 5: I'm remembering the dinner because I thought, oh, these two were cute together. They're gonna have They're gonna have good chemistry in the movie.
Speaker 1: Can I just interject my recollection? Although I was not there was you guys were photographed you and Dean and you were like sitting on his lap or you were straddling him in the bar.
Speaker 2: That wasn't that night. That That that came later into the shoot once he and I were full on together and we were like, shoot, we're both gonna have to go home to our spouses. What are we going to do? And somebody did snap a picture which was leaked to the press, and it was like it's going to come out. So yeah, that was a whole other story. Take us back to the night. I'm Chris, you know I have a photographic memory. I'm looking at you right now because we're in a leather booth at a bar, and I literally started to climb over you to get to Dean and you were laughing, but you were like no, no, But I did it anyway because the more you said no, the more I wanted to do it.
Speaker 3: Maybe I blocked it out because you know.
Speaker 5: My memory is the next day Charlie came and I saw him out of the corner of my eye, and I toy, I hid, I hid behind there was like a column in the lobby, and I hid and went the other way.
Speaker 3: So there's some part of me that was afraid to see him.
Speaker 2: Wait, so it did happen that way. And then you said you were going home, and I was like, don't leave me. If you leave me, something's gonna happen, like daring you like to stay and stop me. And you went home and so forever I was like, it's your fault.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 2: We had sex like first night, like oh my god, a kimbley, I did this? What am I going to do? And the next day my husband was Charlie was flying in to see me and stay for a week and that's what Chris is referring to that he was in the lobby when Charlie checked in the next day, and it was after I had told him do you and I slept together last night? And da da and then and so you hid.
Speaker 5: I hid, And I swear to God, I'm blocking. I'm blocking you telling me this. I just remember when we all came back. You were very hard to reach, and Mike was very suspicious and he's like, I don't know, I think she's up to something. And I was like, oh, Mike, She's like it's it's bad cell signal.
Speaker 3: They're in Canada. Like it's like they had.
Speaker 2: Three weeks of the shoot, like we fell madly in love and we were together in our own little world, pretending that reality didn't back home in La with our partners and with families, and it's just telling friends and yeah, you guys were like, something's up. I remember Zach and Morn both being like, what's going on. I'd be like nothing. I remember telling no. I told Maron and Zach over text that and it was like yeah and that. I was like, I want to move to Canada, and they were.
Speaker 5: Like, what you told me at your welcome back party in Beverly Hills. You told me in the bathroom the.
Speaker 2: Dean and I were together, and yeah, oh is that the night with James Carponella. And he was there and Zach was there.
Speaker 5: And James had no idea Zach, Zach knew, but you had told me. So I came out of the bathroom with this usually the information, and.
Speaker 3: James is going, what what? What just happened?
Speaker 4: Nothing?
Speaker 5: He' said no, come on what I'm like, it was so uncomfortable. And then Charlie was there, and then Charlie, you wanted to go to a gay bar with Zach and whoever.
Speaker 2: Wants. I was scared. I don't know what to do. Yeah, He's like, I haven't seen you in three weeks. Like this. You know your friends are welcome party, that's great, but like now I want to go home with my wife. And I was like, well, you know, we all want to go to this gay bar. It'll be fun and I'll be coming, and he's like, this is and then he turned to me and he goes, this is over if you go.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I remember I heard that.
Speaker 5: I heard him say if you go to that gay bar, this marriage is over.
Speaker 3: And I remember thinking, and I turned.
Speaker 2: And I turned around and promptly screamed, who's coming with me? And I hadn't at the time what was pissed? And he went home and then we didn't go to Foo Bar. We went back to wait where we go oh and Bill and Scout were there right, and we went back to Susannah Marcel's house. Marcel, oh my gosh, and came over and I told everyone everything, all my friends, and I was like and they were just all like jaws, like what And I was like, yeah, I'm gonna leave Charlie, and Teen's gonna leave Mary Joe and we're gonna be together. And they were like what just happened the last three weeks? And then to top it all off, I was like, Mama Lola called this. I was like that poor chicken had to die for this, But it was a meaning like it was because I was supposed to like find new and true love my soulmates.
Speaker 5: I just remember thinking, and I didn't know you that well at the time, but I knew you enough to know that you were not good with confrontation with the ripping band aids off, and I just remember thinking, how how was she going to have that conversation like I was, I was worried for you.
Speaker 2: Like didn't I was so scared. I had to do it with my therapist in the office and him.
Speaker 5: I'm remembering now those were your words you in that bathroom. You were like, this is my soulmate.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know if we want to talk about this, but it was like it created a lot of drama at VH one because you had sort of just had on the front page of People Magazine, on the cover People Magazine, your big marriage to Charlie at the mansion.
Speaker 2: A million dollar wedding on the Yeah, you were getting a magazine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like this kind of americ You're kind of getting in the American sweetheart territory, improbably after all this time, and then this was just like blew it up. And so was like, oh my god, because the marketing obviously was so tied to you and your persona, and this was like, Okay, now she's getting pressed as like the home wrecker and the whole are and the slut the Jezebel.
Speaker 3: Which is so unfair because you're not even that slutty.
Speaker 2: That flutty I know, Donna Martin the Virgin always wanted to be a slut, never been one.
Speaker 3: Donna Martin gratuated.
Speaker 2: And then procreated and appropriated and appropriated and procreate and procreated.
Speaker 3: Okay, tell us the acts funny line.
Speaker 5: Yes, when when we were shooting, you were so you know, the relationship with Dean was so new and fresh, and you guys were so in love and inseparable all the time.
Speaker 3: And then they're like starting.
Speaker 2: He was there every day in my trails, every day, all the time, having sex like in between every.
Speaker 5: We all new and and and there started being these rumors that you were gonna you know, you can't, you can wait to have babies. And I was like terrified that you were going to become pregnant during the show, and Zach quin to torry, you can't the baby. You can barely sustain life. For what.
Speaker 2: I mean, I could barely take care of myself. How could you stay in life?
Speaker 4: Yet? Definitely, remember after one of those late nights in the editing room and you wanted us to get some snacks, and we got you a yogurt, but there was no spoon, and you were like too lazy to go up and get a spoon. You're in the yogurt with your hands, with your.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, it was a catchup packet. She was dipping the Ketchup packet into the yogurt and then sucking the yogurt off the Ketchup packet.
Speaker 2: I mean, sounds good to me.
Speaker 3: He's resourceful, resourceful, and you know what.
Speaker 5: The other thing that's kind of nice is you're not, you know what, up tight. You don't have to be fancy, you'll you'll. She's a girl who eat yogurt off ketch Up pockets.
Speaker 1: Mhm