Speaker 1: Any swags to high.
Speaker 2: Stand deep just set her feel and it's gone, Wow.
Speaker 3: His first big league swing is gonna be a grand slam. The home line.
Speaker 2: Swag, Good time to walk to the show.
Speaker 4: Part three of the three episode trade deadline breakdown series.
Speaker 1: Here on the call up, you got arm Late and Jack mcmowen.
Speaker 4: This time for the finale, a lot more trades to talk about.
Speaker 1: What's crazy.
Speaker 4: Elijah pointed this out Jack on the last episode. From the start of last episode, which we got into an hour's worth of trades. Those all came in on the last day, and we still have another huge batch of deal.
Speaker 1: Maybe one or two didn't, but I think almost all of them did.
Speaker 4: Now we still have a full slate of deals to go over that all still came in on the last day. Procrastination is rampant among MLB front offices. We're also gonna see it with the CBA, but it's rampant with the deadline.
Speaker 1: It seems like more than.
Speaker 3: Ever, procrastination is running rampant. But it's also strategic. I think procrastination is like the way to go, and it's the way to operate at the trade deadline because the closer you get to that six pm Eastern heart stop. The more frantic the buyers become, and it's like, you know what, screw it, let me give you this guy. So it's almost like a necessary evil, the procrastination here, and that's why you see so many come through. But what I love about the trade deadline now is with the expanded playoff, the number of buyers is greater. It seems like teams are I think, more committed to giving it a shot this year than in recent years. So like we have more deadline transactions going. Some of them are like marginal, you know, like Lane Thomas and Bailey Falter. That's that's, you know, an interesting enough deal.
Speaker 4: And for the team that should have been going for it harder than the ones, they don't fit. The braves don't fit, give it a try, braves fit the go all in and they did.
Speaker 1: They give it a try.
Speaker 3: Moves right, So it's like, you know, you've got maybe instead of some big fish moving, you had like instead of one big deal, you had three smaller deals. And frankly for the sheer quantity and for our prospect, lens, I kind of dig it. There were a lot of deals on deadline day.
Speaker 4: I love it I absolutely love it, and we're going to talk about one of my favorite deals. Of course, we'll lead off with that with Dustin May Jojo Romero going to the Brewers for a pair of really fun prospects. We're also going to bounce around to some of the smaller deals. Michael Farrett back to where he started.
Speaker 1: We get.
Speaker 4: You know, sometimes you bounce around because works don't want you. I think it's different with Farrett. It's I think both wanted him, really didn't want to give him up, and now they get a chance to bring.
Speaker 1: Him back to Baltimore. We'll talk about that deal.
Speaker 4: There's several others that I think are really fun, and even some players getting swapped to opportunity, like areas where they're gonna have more opportunity, about Jonathan Long going to the Marlins where he's not as directly blocked and you could see a path to him having more opportunity. So several more trades in between, but we'll start with my favorite one, and it's Jojo Romero, Dustin May going to the Brewers for Alexander Frias and Josiah Ragsdale.
Speaker 1: Now this is a wild one to me. We've talked about on the.
Speaker 4: Just Baseball Show, the place where my mind immediately goes and I think it's it's it, you can't do this, this is this is actually I think hinders of objectivity.
Speaker 1: And that's why I'm sticking with I love. I think this is one of the best returns is you you go to what's the catch with free us men? Like what are they are?
Speaker 3: They do?
Speaker 4: They do they see something that's going to hold him back from reaching a ceiling. You know, we saw a report from Ken Rosenthal that Frios was also one of the players that was potentially available in a school deal.
Speaker 1: Of course he was.
Speaker 4: He was traded in another deal, so of course Frios was gonna be a won a Schoogle deal.
Speaker 3: But what was the package? It was Pania, Jet and Frieus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those were the players that they offered up, which I mean not even close to what if everyone wants to complain about the Dodgers package, that ain't close and Logan Henderson sounds like it was a non starter for the Bruce, which I can very much understand, but also like the Brewers have a lot of other prospects. Between Luis Pania and Alexander Frias that are really exciting, So I don't know, you know, of course you're never gonna.
Speaker 1: Fully get everything that was going on in the war room there.
Speaker 4: I still think that the Brewers would have been willing, like you think they're gonna, let, you know, a minor leaguer at that point stop them from being able to get school if they were that all in, I don't think so. I think Henderson was the guy that ends up drawing the line there. But regardless, Frias, as Time Bloom put it, he's all the upside in the world. And of course every GM, every president based operation is gonna sell the hell out of the prospects that they acquired.
Speaker 1: In a deal. But that's just objectively true. Alexander Frias is all of the upside in the world.
Speaker 4: Just if you see one video of this kid swinging the bat, you see a lanky, athletic, twitchy athlete that has already a really good swing for his age, and you say, oh, man, yeah, that guy can absolutely be someone to dream on. And you know, you think about the Brewers organization, and you know what they've been able to do with these types of guys. It's kind of surprising that they part with him for you know, a pair of rentals here, and on top of that that they had to part with another guy that's made a huge leap this season in Josiah Ragsdill. I'll get into Ragsdale in a moment, but just a little bit more context on Frius, Like when you look at what he's done this year. So the Brewers like to have their guys skip the complex, like the top dogs, right, Louise pana Haes's mindy, they're gonna skip the complex league.
Speaker 1: Fris didn't skip the complex.
Speaker 4: So you know, maybe they they had him a little bit lower in the pecking order. Do you have his complex numbers in front of you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, at the complex this year and he was in the DSL. Last year he hit three fifteen with a four to ten OBP. But this year, in thirty two games of the complex, he hit four forty one. And in thirty two games, this guy had what eighteen extra base hits he drove in thirty four he had a five eighteen on base percentage and in eleven ninety six ops in thirty two games at the complex.
Speaker 1: You probably should have skipped it, huh, I think so?
Speaker 3: And then he goes to low a Carolina right or Wilson. What is it now, the Wilson war Birds instead of the Carolina Mudcats.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that one I slipped mind is the Wilson war Birds.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't know. But in twenty eight games there, Yeah, he hit two thirty six, but he got into some pop and it was a seven to fifty ops. Big number for him. Twenty bags in sixty one games, but also in sixty one games so far this year, this guy's driven in sixty two.
Speaker 4: That's pretty crazy for a lot of traffic in the Complex League. You're hitting four forty one, you're gonna get an opportunity to drive a lot of guys in.
Speaker 1: But it's awesome.
Speaker 4: I'm really excited to go see him play because now he's a Palm Beach cardinal, so that's gonna be really fun.
Speaker 1: The last thing I'll mention on him is.
Speaker 4: You've get a six two, one hundred and seventy five pound newly turned eighteen year old with all of the production that we saw and morder dreamont average eggs velosity of the eighty nine miles per hour average air eggs abosity of ninety two straus when he's getting it off in the air too. There's even more in there. I am really excited to see what can happen. Of course, there's still hurdles to clear, but when you've got a kid like this pop in one eleven's with the production that we've seen with the just again eye test wise from the left side, there's so much to love. Clearly, the Brewers have some sort of thought that there's some sort of limiting component to him, and maybe just the fact that the hands are a little bit loud, or you know that he doesn't elevate as much as he should. But I just think for two rentals for the Cardinals to be able to add free us.
Speaker 1: He's just so exciting into this system.
Speaker 4: And then on top of that you add Josiah Ragsdale, which for the Brewers I understand cashing in here on Ragsdale, right, Ragsdale's seventh round pick, a guy that was a little bit more of an afterthought in your system before the season that you take from a slash and dash player, You move, you push his contact point out further forward, and now all of a sudden he's slug in and he cuts his ground ball right and from a brief pro samp last year, but cuts the ball rate by twenty percent, and he is now this really dynamic blend of power.
Speaker 1: Speed and defense.
Speaker 4: Ragsdale is like a top one hundred type of talent. It's just you know, he's patient, sometimes borders on passive with fringe hit that can result in a higher strikeout rate, but he hedges that with the walks. He's again to be able to play a high level center field, I at least be able to play a solid center field. And then you have the speed and raw power combination that he brings to the table. Even if the hit tool stalls and it's below average, the skill set's going to give you a big league role player here. So you have a kind of high floor guy just because of the tools, the carrying tools. And then you have this amazing I think Lotto tickets like under selling for this, but this amazing project to take on again for a pair of rentals. It's a second straight year where Dustin May it brings in a return where.
Speaker 1: You're like, wow, he did that.
Speaker 4: Obviously, Jojo Romero no swatch to throw on top, and he's really gonna help this Brewers bullpen.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a lot, especially for a Brewers team that's typically apprehensive. You figure you give up a little bit more. On top of this, you probably could have got a controllable guys.
Speaker 1: How much would you have to give up for re denvers? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure. But what I keep falling back on, to be honest with you, is what I mentioned to you on the Just Baseball Show earlier this week, and that's Dustin May has some of the loudest stuff that we have from starting pitchers in Major League Baseball, and it's just a matter of harnessing that and getting it in the zone and getting into a proper place in the strike zone consistently. And I think the Brewers have supreme confidence that they can do that with two months of Dustin May. And honestly, I think a lot of the debuts from a lot of these traded starting pitchers compared to Dustin May will tell you that they might feel like they made out like bandits here. Like Foster Griffin struggled in his Guardian debut, Luis Castillo struggled in his White Sox debut. There were a couple other guys Casey May struggled in his Padre debut. Meanwhile, May turns in six innings a two run ball in his Brewer debut. So again, I wonder if they identified a quick tweak and that might have drove the price up. And honestly, the sheer stuff of the guys that I just named, May has the best stuff.
Speaker 1: Of all of them.
Speaker 3: He just does point plank. Period. But one quick note on Josiah Ragsdale's seventh round pick out of BC last year. The list of players that have twenty homers and thirty stolen bases this year in minor league baseball, Josiah Ragsdale has twenty homers and thirty one stolen bases. Theo Gillen has twenty homers and thirty seven stolen bases. I want to mention host Way Depaola because he has twenty one homers in twenty eight bags. Eric Hartman Hartman with the Atlanta Braves twenty four homers and forty two stolen bases, and then that's it. Honestly, Blake Burke has thirty homers in twenty eight bags. Somehow Blake Burke has twenty eight bags. But if you want to talk twenty homer thirty bag it's Josiah Ragsdale, Theo Gillen, and Eric Hartman, and that's it.
Speaker 1: That is pretty exciting.
Speaker 4: And last thing I'll mention on this too is like, sometimes I think it's lazy to be like, oh, you know, they can just spawn more of these guys, blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: They can, they can.
Speaker 4: Josiah ractill this isn't even like a long project, like you said, he was drafted out of BC last year, last year as a mid and he's transferring from a smaller school. It was one year at BC and immediately just one off season, one spring training, just one full regular season, and he's transformed as a hitter. They're going to identify guys like that. I'm excited to see who the twenty six draft class guys are going to be.
Speaker 1: That fit that that mold.
Speaker 4: Sawyer strosnider, who our guy Tyler Jennings had is a top ten player in this draft falls to them, you know, with their second or third pick, and I can't wait to see what they can do with him. So like, obviously they feel confident that they have a lot of other candidates that can be Josiah Ragsdale type. And yeah, maybe in a vacuum. It's a quote unquote overpay, but I think it's another one of those where it's like, hey, the other deals didn't line up for us. We get two players that can very much help us now and free us as further off, we have all these other DSL and complex kids that were really excited about We're okay doing this, And at the end of the day, I am going to applaud the Brewers for quote unquote overpaying for once and ignoring the model.
Speaker 1: And I think this is one of those examples of them doing.
Speaker 3: That, no doubt about that. I'll take you to the Foster Griffin deal. You're ready for that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need someone?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I figured that was like obviously your favorite trade, and those are probably two of the better prospects that we're going to talk about. So we'll kind of talk package as a whole and you can identify individuals moving forward. But four players came back for Foster Griffin, who went from Washington to Cleveland again. Griffin struggled in his Guardian debut, but Josh Hartle, who's been throwing the ball really as well as anybody in minor league baseball post All Star Break, Hartle comes back, Will Dion, who's been an Upper N Upper Miners guy for a long time, Ken Deglies Verguez, and Nick Mitchell. That's the four player return to Washington. Were you surprised Foster Griffin on a one year deal from Japan, albeit he's an All Star, got four players back, Yes.
Speaker 4: Because at least of like who the four players are like, and not in a negative way. It's just like it's another to bony volume like acquisition where we saw the same thing with WUIs Garcia. And I like the approach, right, I mean, they've got their their core of offensive players that they really like. And you know, pitching is so risky by nature anyways, if you go and make a swap for one more like higher, more highly regarded pitching prospect, that guy could get hurt, he could struggle, whatever it may be. And also they need they need to fill a lot of roles, right, They need to fill some starter roles, but they need to fill an entire bullpen as well as soon as next season.
Speaker 1: And so what I like too with these moves is some of them I.
Speaker 4: Think point towards Hey, we're not fully giving up on this season either, like we want our guys to hang in there, and and both the Garcia deal and and in this one, like will Deon's gonna immediately go help them in the bullpen, right, and and with the deal Thatyvanni Cruz immediately go helps them in the bullpen. Two of the guys that they acquired in stead on it probably two of their best relievers.
Speaker 3: How about Bird Jake, Bird's gonna go help him too.
Speaker 1: I's better than a lot of what they've got.
Speaker 4: But they seem to balance each of the deals out with like this pitch ability, higher floor, back end of the rotation. Like Siebert was that in the Garcia deal, Hardle is that in this deal where I love that you point out how well he's been throwing the ball lately, because I think this upward trajectory is really encouraging when you're a pitch ability left you if it's at high A, I'm like, all right, let's see you do it and double A and there's a little bit of a snag in double and then it seems like he's.
Speaker 1: Really hit his stride.
Speaker 4: Because with those those types of guys, man like you see it all the time too, and especially even guys trying to figure out the bigger level. You just watched Martin Perez in a different form of what he was when you pointed this out on the broadcast, like of who he used to be still be able to go out and have success at eighty nine miles per hour roughly. I think when you're a pitchability lefty, it's like, Okay, what sequences there going to work better for me? Which pitches do I need to maybe wean off of a little bit or use more arriety lefty whatever?
Speaker 1: And I think Hartle's really finding that.
Speaker 4: And it's last thirty nine and two thirds innings, forty k's seventeen.
Speaker 3: Walks and a two five year o ra at double A, and we are naturally going to skew towards the guys that have more natural ability at twenty five and then adapt that way at thirty five, like Martin Perez. But Hartle, like, if he does figure it out at twenty five, that's a guy that can survive in the major leagues. And you know, Hardle being in the same organization as Parker Messik for a couple of years it really helps. Like Mesick is kind of the gold standard of a guy not having two to two loud of stuff, but does have a carrying fastball, like it is a fastball that you know grades out out decently well, but it's not overwhelmingly hard. So Parker Messik is a matchup nightmare, and Foster Griffin this year proved to be a matchup nightmare. The pitcher is coming back, especially with the way that I think hitting is kind of built now where it's like you get ready for verty heater, verty heater, verty heater, slider, slider, slider, and then all of a sudden, you see this guy with a five pitch bag and he can go to all five in any count and it's below your typical hitting speed, Like the average right handed starter is throwing their four seam fastball ninety five point three miles an hour. That's crazy, But that's one guy to prep for, because a lot of righties are like, yeah, you know for Seemer good ride sits at ninety six, Like you're prepping for the same guy more often than not, and he's just a taste breaker. At this point, Hartle is at twenty four years.
Speaker 4: Old, and again with him just seeming to learn himself and execute better and mask the fastball, it seems like he's a high probability back into the rotation starter, that Enning Zeter, that can get your ground balls. And that's just another good guy to add to the fold when you have Shussan On Sikora and whatever, like these high ceiling, high risk type of guys.
Speaker 1: And then you add in Kendegley's Virguez.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wish I did like a query before this, but it's I don't even know if I'm capable of finding this. There's definitely not a lot of fastballs averaging north of ninety seven miles per hour below a five foot release height. I can guarantee you that, And that's what Verguaz does, ninety seven and a half mile per hour average fastball velocity topping at one oh one from a four point nine to five release height.
Speaker 1: So you take this twenty two.
Speaker 4: Year old and you you have this outlier type of release and velocity, and you think about, okay, well, here's another guy that could be in our bullpen as soon as next year.
Speaker 1: You know, by the end of next season, the Briguez just got up to double A.
Speaker 4: And I know the surface level numbers aren't as good as you know you would expect, but I think it's gonna work out. And I also think there's another guy that's going to just be a really effective reliever. So you have all of these really exciting, high ceiling relief prospects, and I think it's a really interesting approach by Paul Tiboni. I love seeing these new gms take over and try to kind of carve their own path of just trying to create asset value.
Speaker 1: You're trading rentals.
Speaker 4: You're not gonna get top end guys, but you're gonna be able to get some high upside relief pieces stockpile those. You got Grable, you've got Verguez, You've got Cruise. Like, I'm really interested to see what happens when you've got all of these flame throwing, unique.
Speaker 1: Outlier arm angle type of prospects.
Speaker 4: And it's like you could have a murderer's row of controllable relievers and they could have a guardian thing going on very soon with the best offense in Major League Baseball by run score.
Speaker 3: And I know they're sputtering right now, and there are a couple games below five hundred at this point, and they traded Luis Garcia Junior, but they held onto Wood and they held on to Abrams, and Lyle's still there and they have other offensive pieces, and Nasie Nuniaz is still leading the world in stolen bases. He's a game wrecker whenever he does get on base. They don't have pitching, but if they have a bullpen, like that's been their achilles heal. They've blown more saves than any team in baseball. So you know, I'm not putting them to bed on August seventh in twenty twenty six, like they could be one of those teams that's spunky in August and spunky in September. And some of these guys that we're sitting here talking about are like eating the eighth and maybe even the ninth inning for them, And it's like, oh damn, the Nats were in this until the final week.
Speaker 1: YEP, one hundred percent, and that's why.
Speaker 4: And even if it doesn't happen this year, like you could see the vision with Tiboni, and I think that it's all coming together, it's gonna be a very useful forty names on that forty men roster, Like I think you're gonna have a lot of different guys that are doing exactly what you want, but also you know, with a high ceiling to fill their roles at a really exciting clip.
Speaker 3: Tell me about Sammy Stefora, who is going home. He was doing backflips when he was traded to the New York Mets. Is his team growing up at Stefora for Luke Weaver ineffectively a one for one swap. The Mets actually paid down Weaver a little bit, which is crazy to go and get Sammy Stephora.
Speaker 1: Really interesting, So two schools of thought here.
Speaker 4: Is was was Luke Weaver not worth as much as we thought? Or is Sam Stefora's breakout this year just enough to where he's being valued as kind of a top one hundred caliber prospect. I don't know, I have the beholder right. What's really fascinating is if you go right from when Stefora returned because he was in High A and then he was banged up so had like a handful of Low A rehab games, and then back to High A. On June ninth, Stefora hits has hit seventeen homers in thirty six games. Geez now, power speed like explosiveness was never the question with Sam Stefora. I remember his swing when he first broke into pro Bawl and I was like, this is going to be a project. And even like you know, you see him moved in the Brian Hayes deal from the Reds and it was like, okay, whatever, you know, I like, there's a lot that needs to be ironed out. The hit tools, you know, work in progress. It still is. It's a sixty four percent contact rate this year. But the fascinating thing with Stephora is like, if he's getting to this power like this, and I know the balls flying and especially in Hi A it is flying, but still one WRC plus, he's gonna steal bags. He has all of the ingredients to stick its shortstop, you know, as he just gets more, I would say, just consistent, refined with the routine, and he's a plus runner. If he's a forty hit tool, it's gonna have a long career, and I think.
Speaker 1: He could be a regular shortstop.
Speaker 4: Still there's still an uphill battle to get to that forty hit and I think that's where the pressure is on, like the swing decisions and whatever it may be, and being able to just maintain his posture against breaking balls ninety four miles per hour average velocity against fastballs this year, which is outrageous, outrageous, you know that that is like among some of the best in Major League Baseball. But of course they're doing that against all pitch types and it's major league you know pitches. But eighty six miles per hour against breaking balls not bad. But when you compare it to the fastballs, it's like, Okay, you're you're really losing you know, some some violence in some of your posture to have an eight mile per hour you know, dip there hard hit rate drops by twenty six percent, So he's gonna have to improve drastically against spin. But you get a really good athlete, you get a local kid, a fun story. I just thought Luk Lever, who's been one of the best relievers in baseball and now has been good for a couple of years, had the blip the year before, but then it was good the year before that, Like even his blip was like still a good serviceable reliever.
Speaker 1: I thought you would be worth a little bit more. I didn't think the money was that much of a hindrance, but it seems like it was a bit. But that said, like so far, is still a fun, high upside piece to add you know to this Mets system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got a couple other like marquee ish prospects that were moved, and then some of the smaller deals as the deadline dwindled down. To get to in a moment, but before that, we'll take our first break. All right, let's talk Michael Farrett here, who is making his way back to Baltimore, Tyler Wells and a one for one swap. Tyler Wells goes to the Tampa Bay Rays, and Wells is a guy that like to save the big league analysis for you. Shout out Peyton Genis to save the big league analysis for you. I think Tyler Wells in that raise bullpen is absolutely diabolical. I thought that was a massive gut for Eric Neander one for one swap for Forarrett, who this offseason was acquired as one of five assets for Shane Boss. So it's just a little fliparou and here Tyler Wells goes to Tampa and Farrett goes back to Baltimore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now you got all of those prospects and Tyler Wells for Boss is pretty pretty good for Neander and I think Elias had a great deadline overall. But again, easy to have a great deadline when you're when you're moving some you know, somebody like Adalie Rochman maybe greats extreme.
Speaker 1: But I just think that was such a great haul that it just kind of pushes you, you know, up to another level. But at the same time, like it does kind of feel like there's levels to this ship, right, Like you see Neander kind of running laps around, lives a little bit here, and yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, I don't think this was a bad deal. Like I think this was a good deal for the Orioles. But it's just like the hand puyed exactly into how Neander Watson he gets another big league controllable arm that he probably wanted initially in the other deal anyways, and he gives back one of the prospects well while Bodine is you know, on another level and several other the guys are are are exciting.
Speaker 1: The Brun's been hurt and it just came back.
Speaker 4: But still I think it's, uh, you know, it's worked out quite nicely for the race that said, to get Fret back for for Wells and Wells, you got to give credit to the Orioles.
Speaker 1: They do a really.
Speaker 4: Good job at finding these more under the radar arms and and you know, developing them and and really like if you look at a lot of the top pitching prospects in the Oriole system over the last few years, a lot of them are like later round guys that they identified and maximized. And Wells was a fifteenth round pick a long time ago, I know, by the Twins, but again a guy that had bounced around a little bit and they found a way to kind of maximize and get more out of.
Speaker 3: You know, kind of a hodgepodge. And another guy that's in that bullpen in Tampa with Wells, Brian Baker, like he started to break out with the Baltimore Orioles. There are plenty of examples as of late earlier this year, we were talking about Rico Garcia, a ton Rico Garcia was kind of a nothing burger before this year. Anthony Nuniez was a hitter at the university.
Speaker 1: Gosh, yeah, they like they've got something going there.
Speaker 4: And I think it was good on them, the cash in at least on some of these arms, because like we said, they should. But Forrett to get him back, you know, he had to, like everybody has had.
Speaker 1: The adjustment period to triple A.
Speaker 4: But what I think stands out to me the most is like, you're gonna see the walk rates creep up as guys just get used to the slicker baseball, the tighter zone, scipline hitters, challenge system, all of those things. Yeah, But what I've noticed, which is interesting, and it's obviously because just the seams are tighter and your stuff's not biting the same way as a lot of these arms.
Speaker 1: Gets a triple A and the strikeout rate drops too. And when you have the walk.
Speaker 4: Rate climb and the strikeout rate drop, not a good recipe, right. Forret's walk rate climbed, but the strikeout rate did as well. Like he was nine point three k's per nine in double A with the Rays and then in thirty and two thirds inning two is up to ten point seven k's per nine. So to see that, I think is super encouraging. The surface of the era, I think is a little bit misleading. He looks the part. Some have him as a top one hundred prospect. I don't blame them. To me, He's more of a just on the outside type of guy. And I think this trade is more emblematic of even how the Oreoles May Valume is not a you know, not a top one hundred guy, more of like a tweener. It's just outside but better than you know, most of your other forty five future value prospects. That's why it's kind of like a forty five plus guy for me. But this is a really solid arm that could project as a number four starter and a quality one at that and worst case scenario, I think is a really unique swingman type of piece because of the pitch mix he has. There's some deception built in there, you know, and you know when he's on he's he has a good feel for the entire arsenal where you've got the four seemer with a little bit of ride, the two seamer, the cutter, the change up in the sweeper. It's a really good pitch mix I think should make him a solid for.
Speaker 3: I love that. Let's pivot to a catcher here who goes to the Angels for Joe Adell from Cleveland, Jacob Cozart, an ole miss catcher. Cozart a one for one swap for Joe Adell. Adele was having an underwhelming year ops wise, but again the big note that I keep on falling back on with Adele. He immediately became Cleveland's team leader with sixteen homers. Like they needed thump, and they got some thump with a Dell. And it could be frustrating at points, but I think Cleveland is ready to stomach some frustration because they have enough paper cuts in that lineup here. They need a gash and Adele ken that yash, and they pay a decent price in Cozart, who looks like a decent catching prospect.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, Cozart.
Speaker 4: I think the thing with Cozart is just it's a high floor, right, like you're gonna you're at least getting uh, you know, a second division kind of catcher here, a backup catcher, I think at least. But you got a good shot at a second division catcher because of the defense that he brings.
Speaker 1: To the table.
Speaker 4: And you know, the bat has come along enough to where as we know, you don't have to swing it very well as a catcher if you're gonna be, you know, in a net positive behind the dish, and he looks like a net positive behind the dish, and offensively after a little bit of a rough start like has settled in finished the year strong last year and then this year at double A, it's been about in a ninety six WRC plus, which is.
Speaker 1: Fine, but the strikeout rates been palatable.
Speaker 4: The approach has gotten better, and the power I think is a big thing for him. Like if it can be average power, if you can sneak out fifteen to twenty homers, that's gonna help his case a lot. Ultimately, I think he's going to be more of a you know, eighty five to ninety wr C plus guy at the big league level. But if he's that with above average to potentially plus defense, and I mean, people love the way he goes about his business, Like this is somebody that when you're in a rebuild mode, like the Angels have needed to be for a while, and you move Logan Ohppy because they needed to and he was a net negative on both sides of things, and you go get Moisess by Sterius. He's probably not going to catch very much right Like this is immediately I think one of their safer guys to projects as a big league catcher. I think they've got Juan Flores as well, but you could have a you can envision kind of a platoon situation there where you've got two solid defenders and you ride the hot hand of the hottest hitter and go from there. But I think just being able to add somebody like him to the fold really helps. And you know, now you have two guys and coz Art and Flora's at the double a level that could potentially help your catching situation as soon as next season, and.
Speaker 3: They might need it. With Biastero's catching, I think he's catching again on Friday here, So bias Teros is catching all the time. At some point he's gonna dh and Cozark can probably catch for the yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, which I'm like, you know what, who cares?
Speaker 4: If you're the Angels, like, go for it with with Biasteros, might as well take the shot and and see if you can develop him into a forty grade catcher. If not, I don't know if Ron Washington works catching magic, but uh yeah, I think you know you can at least just kind of rest on the idea that he can if he can get hot hit and wise.
Speaker 1: It's a nice piece for you.
Speaker 3: Watch is also in San Francisco. Now it's Kurt Zuzuki's era in Anaheim.
Speaker 4: Oh well, well, yeah, I always I always forget where Ron is.
Speaker 3: Kurt Zuzuki, who signed a one year deal as a first year manager.
Speaker 1: That stanks well, at least at least they got a catcher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt about it. But there are three catchers on the major league roster right now. I think Bias Steros, Travis Darnow, and Tyler Heideman. Stand up, Halo fans. Okay, next three that we got to go over here. Three players go back to Toronto for Jeff Hoffman who made his way to Minnesota. And the most interesting one, no doubt about it, is Desan Hill Hill, John Klein and de Murray Paigna go from Minnesota to Toronto. Hill has been someone that isn't a top one hundred prospect but has caught your eye for a couple of years. It seems like at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 4: Him and Johnny King were kind of in the same bucket for me, and now you have design Hill in the same system. But King has just made more progress in the strike throwing department and that's what separated him.
Speaker 1: Like, King's going to be on our top one hundred update.
Speaker 4: There are two lefties, but with a long lanky you know, I think just electrifying arm. The levers allow them to just I THNK create a tough look and plenty of e low, but at the same time it can make it hard to time up, repeat and throw strikes.
Speaker 1: And King has found it more Hill has not.
Speaker 4: And I think for the Twins, they they just feel like they can cash in on the volatility here. You know, Hill's going to be twenty one years old in the offseason and and I think they're just assuming it might be too hard for him to throw strikes and he may end up in the bullpen. But for the Blue Jays, who have done a really good job over the last couple of years now of developing arms, have the concept there with King, who they've helped throw more strikes. And you bring in a lefty here that has loud stuff that you hope you can just get to trim that walk rate down. I mean, it's been a step backwards this year in the strike throwing department. Forty five innings, he struck out seventy seven, but he's walked thirty seven. It's a fastball in ninety six and a half. You know you're getting a nasty slider in the upper eighties, a hard curveball, at about seventy nine to eighty one miles per hour a sweeper as well. I mean, the pitch mix is ridiculous from the left side, but it's like can he throw enough strikes?
Speaker 1: That's gonna be the question.
Speaker 4: Even mixes in a changeup that flashes as well, So it's a really exciting pitch mix. Ton of reliever risk obviously with the walk rates, but you figure if he hones in on two or three pitches out of the bullpen, strike rate will probably improve.
Speaker 1: That's the fallback.
Speaker 4: I think it's a good arm to add to the fold for a team that was just super strategic. I really like what the Jays did this deadline, Like, you know, they weren't in our winners or losers because they were just kind of in this unique limbo spot. They cash in on some assets, but they also, yeah, and gave up some prospects to do it, but they also brought in some upside and solid prospects into the fold. And I think Hill is one of those good examples of that, and I think it's an exciting piece to just be.
Speaker 1: Able to add.
Speaker 3: The one that confused me was then moving Argent to the ages, but that's a good pick up for John rose Lock and Anaheim to go get Argentamala, so you know, shout out to them. Yeah. Two quick notes on Dassan Hill here. I think minor league pitcher record, especially for starters, is hilarious because, like you could see some of the better starters just because they're on a short leash, never really get to five innings with an advantage. So like, there are some guys that come up and they have a career record that's just awful in the minor leagues. Dassan Hill is one in twelve and thirty five minor league starts, which is pretty funny. The other one, and this is actually a real note as opposed to starting pitcher record, is this guy in his minor league career has frown one hundred and seven innings and faced four hundred and eighty two hitters. He has allowed four home runs. He keeps the ball on the ballpark, so like, even while he's walking guys and the eras a bit inflated, he's not getting beat by the long ball, which like is a carrying trait that takes you until you're thirty two years old. Like, if you don't have a home run problem, in the minor leagues, he probably won't have one.
Speaker 1: Of the big leagues, especially this year. And yeah, and that's the thing too.
Speaker 4: The fallback with the relief side of things is like he can go heavy fastball and you're still not gonna take them deep. Quick shout to Demari pena really good bat to ball, and you know, anytime you can bring in this super HITTERUS ninety two percent zone contact, eighty six percent overall.
Speaker 1: Now it's super light bottom of the barrel.
Speaker 4: EV's right, it's it's it's an eighty four mile per hour average eggs of velocity. But if they can find a way to squeeze out a little bit more juice from Pania, it is fantastic bat to ball. Where he's gonna play all these different things are gonna be a question. But this is a secondary piece for a reliever that you know had some money attached to him as well. I didn't think that was a bad second piece of Again, the big the big get I think was obviously hill Uh And I think just be able to get a bat to ball guy like that is going to be interesting.
Speaker 1: So I thought it was a unique treade.
Speaker 4: I love seeing the twins go for it as well, Like I thought that was fun just to like add a high upside type of guy that can really jolt this bullpend. Now they haven't won, i think since they've added him, but I think it was interesting. And then John Klein like better than the era would would suggest it's like a five to ninety ra but I mean, this is a guy that's striking out plenty fastballs in the mid nineties with some run and ride. I think most likely more of a middle reliever. But he's six five, two thirty, and you know, it's always interesting. It'll be it'll be fun to see kind of how how things shake out for him.
Speaker 3: Let's put it to the large neut Bar deal. Herenutbar goes from Saint Louis to Arizona to prospects. In return, Daniel Egan and Sandro Santana go from the Diamondbacks to the Cardinals. You got anything on either of these guys?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Egan, I think it was like I think a big problem for the Diamondbacks. This deadline was just I don't know if people really want their prospects like that's and I think it was kind of tipped. I don't think my case's gonna say people don't want our prospects. But like said, people kept asking for our big league guys, and I can't trade our big league guys, right, I can't trade.
Speaker 1: He can't trade wall Wlishman.
Speaker 4: He can't trade, you know, even like some of the key pieces, young pieces they have, who.
Speaker 1: Did they want?
Speaker 3: So like Walschmidt, I understand, But like, is Tommy Troy someone that like teams wanted.
Speaker 4: I think so that's where it's like, I wouldn't draw the line at Tommy Troy. I'd be fine moving Tommy Troy.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 3: Like I'm just I'm trying to identify kind of the young guys that exist on this roster here.
Speaker 1: Like he didn't say Walshman was.
Speaker 4: The most asked about player for them by a mile, and everyone was asking walsh.
Speaker 3: And I get not wanting to move Ryan Walshmid and honestly I get not wanting to move Locklier as well.
Speaker 4: And I think it was bullpen arms they were being asked about too, And that's bullpens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so was that they're bullpens. Gross, Like you're not moving Brandy Garcia, You're not moving Marios. So it's like, okay, I mean, if you're going to contend, you're doing it with Garcia and real stomaching the eighth and ninth for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like it's a lateral move.
Speaker 4: Then you're gonna go get a bat that helps a little bit, and then you finally have some bullpen pieces that you did a good job of acquiring when you sold last deadline.
Speaker 3: And like the ton of control.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it can't do it so and that was the point with him, I think it is. I think the reason why everyone's asking for their big league pieces, even controllable relievers, is because no one wanted their prospects right and looking at the Diamondback system because they were one that I was in the process of updating leading into the deadline, Egan is like, you know, you have the top tier one guys, which were you know, the I think the two bats and Chris Aantis is far and away their best hitter, and you have Cunningham, Like, you're not necessarily eager to move those guys for rentals. I think Forbes Patrick Forbes, our first round pick is like their most exciting arm, and you're not gonna want to move him for rental. But also it's one of those guys I think more valuable to you than somebody else. Hageman is another guy like he's in that tier one for me, for them of their pitching prospects, Like it's Hageman and Forbes of the I think there's a gap. And then the tier two. Egan's probably one of my favorite, and tier two. I know some people prefer curly I like. I like Egan because the fastball is a little bit of a standard heater and that's something that he's gonna have to work around. Right, it's ninety three miles an hour in stock, but everything else is average or better, and I think that's where it's interesting. Like he's a phenomenal feel for you know, a cutter, a gyro slider, a curve ball, and he'll even mixing a change up. He's just kind of your classic superinnater that it causes the fastball to flatten out, but it also is why he's so good at throwing everything else. I think Egan's gonna be a good back end of the rotation starter. So I thought that was a pretty good get for the Cardinals. And then Sandro Santana really fun heater, Lefty low release like electrifying arm like.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a he's kind of got the Jeffrey.
Speaker 4: Yon build, you know, yeah, where he's just super skinny and just lively arm like it just you look at this skinny dude and you watch him throw from this kind of low three coorders and the ball just explodes. Another guy nine a four to nine to five release height from the left side fastball averaging ninety five point five. There's not a lot of fastballs from the left side sub five release height above ninety five miles per hour. Santana's going to be a big league believer, So I thought they did pretty well for a hour's newbar.
Speaker 3: Nothing beats the comments section every time Jeffrey On goes viral, so his major league debut in Cleveland, nothing beats the comments on MLB's Instagram post of Jeffreyon doing his case strut for the first time, because you have people that say this is the greatest thing ever, I wish everybody did this every single pitch, and then you have other people saying this is an abomination, disgrace to the sport and he should be banished, banished, and there's nothing in between. Nope, there's no, like, no, yeah, this is kind of fun that one guy does that for the Mets.
Speaker 4: No, there's no one that's like, oh, you know, that's cool. But I wish he jumped like three inches less high and then I'd be.
Speaker 3: Able to yeah with it. Yeah. No, there's no gray area for this. It's either I absolutely love this. He's saving baseball, or this is absolutely awful. He's ruining baseball.
Speaker 4: I feel like I was like, sorry, I goes in the know early there, just like yes, seeing him in double A by accident and I'll never forget It's visiting Griffin kna By, one of my best buddies, and.
Speaker 1: Just like, what's the deal with that guy?
Speaker 3: He's amazing wall Yeah, I mean the caffeine intake, right, isn't the caffeine intake insane?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're like he slams several Sea four in the bullpen before it just goes nuts.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely insane. And what's interesting is the humidity in Pensacola actually cuts down the leap by three inches, so he's just got to throw in more humid environments. I think he's built for like a Kansas City or Saint Louis in the summertime.
Speaker 1: So he's got to be able to dunk. He's got to be able to.
Speaker 3: Dunk, has to, especially when you just pop like three scoops of Sea four directly into your face. We've got a couple more deals that we want to go over here. We'll go to Taylor Ward, who goes from Baltimore to Seattle. Interesting pickup for the Seattle Mariners. Here Taylor Ward three players back, one of which is a big league believer in Alex Hoppy, the other Harrison Cryling, and then brock More as well. Going to Baltimore. You mentioned you liked what michae Elias did in terms of prospect acquisition at the deadline. Who jumps out here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think Hoppy is just a fun arm to be able to add immediately and just kind of rebolster when you're when you're subtracting a little bit. But Harrison Cryling is another interesting arm as well. I mean, you look at mid nineties Heater another low release, five to three release, and he's averaging, you know, seventeen inches avert. So from that release, that's that's plus carry again an above average velocity there, and I think that the difference is going to be kind of finding a more consistent feel for everything else.
Speaker 1: He's also hasn't thrown a ton this year, was banged up, but you get the cutter and the sweeper off of that.
Speaker 4: I think it's a unique look that he can kind of create and could be a fun pitcher to work with you. He's a little bit older, obviously, it's twenty four years old, but I think it's a reminder that you weren't going to get.
Speaker 1: A ton for for Taylor Ward.
Speaker 4: As good as the surface level numbers look, he is slugging at all, and he's a rental and there's probably some questions there. But I think for a player that was kind of a late bloomer and there's another team organization that does a fantastic job with the late round picks, I think it was very clear that Criling was a great pick up in the seventeenth round and so low cost investment for Seattle. But a guy that immediately after the late start here has flashed really good stuff in the handful of nings we've been able to see this could be a decent snipe here by the Orioles on an upside player that's going to be old obviously when he makes his big league debut, but looks like he's got big league stuff.
Speaker 3: Very cool. All right, we're I think, going rapid fire through the rest of these.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: Brenton Doyle goes from the color of A Rockies to the Chicago White Sox here and two players in return go to Colorado, Mason Adams, who is an upper minors starting pitcher, and then Carlos Villoma as well. They go from the White Sox to the Rockies.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I also forgot to shout out brock More another twenty six year old fuzz, absolute fuzz fastball averages ninety seven what'll such triple digits?
Speaker 1: But another older guy, see how it goes the Yeah, the Mason Adams acquisition for Colorado, I think is solid. Now. I do wonder how kind.
Speaker 4: Of the pitch ability, like heavy sinker type of guys are going to play in Colorado. But I think with the infrastructure they have now, like these guys have a little bit more of a chance to succeed. And what I do think works in Colorado is that I think the theme of this episode is low releases, but five foot release here.
Speaker 1: From Mason Adams. When you get a five foot release and.
Speaker 4: A heavy a heavy heater, you know, low nineties, but a ton of arm side and not a lot of vert.
Speaker 1: He's going to get a lot of ground balls.
Speaker 4: I think still even add altitude from that release point, so I also think from that release being able to buzz up a four seamer even without having a ton of vert, I still think it's going to create a little bit more of the deceptive vert look without getting a ton. And then he's a guy that works east west well, and I don't think that's going to be affected as much by the altitude. Right He's a pretty good sweeper and then a sweeping curve ball as well. I think this is a high more arm that the Rockies identified and said like, hey, you know, we need some guys just be able to go out there and get innings for us, even if it's at a five VRA at altitude. I thought Adams was a guy that could be a big league five for you know, any team, But I think for the Rockies, you know, to be able to just go out there, compete, get some ground balls and eating innings for them, I think Adams can can easily do that.
Speaker 3: In early Congratulations Carlos Viioma next week will be able to go see a rat at R movie without parental supervision. He's sixteen years old and he's the other piece in this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean one of those was just I think they looked at they were like, you can have one of these guys in the DSL. They looked at the numbers and said, oh, he has a nine to sixty five ops or whatever it is, Like, so that's good to me.
Speaker 3: So let's get the five hundred opp guy. It's sixteen years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like all right, that We'll see what happens with him. There's not much else to add. Compact dude. Pretty sweet swing from the left side for a sixteen year old.
Speaker 3: Better package than you were expecting for Braxton Garrett going from the Marlins to the Cubs. Braxton Garrett is now a Cub. He got recalled. So Garrett is going to make his third major league start this year. And the two players that come back are Jonathan Long, who has been an upper miners masher, and then Jay Speck as well, who has been a very successful upper miners pitcher at this point as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's funny, I have some like bias towards Braxton Garrett, just because I think I think he's undervalued in general. Like I just think people forget, like how how effective he was as a guy that when he first came up, I'm like, it's gonna be bombs away, and I just watched him be surgical and for these surgical arms, when you're coming off with Tommy John and you're not locating quite as much and he lose just a little bit of the bite, it's going to affect you. And I think that's why he's had a little bit of a slow return back. But we've seen really good overall numbers in trip AA with the years of control. I thought, I thought they did really well the Marlins on this return here. But you know, I think I think he was one of those sneaky players that probably a handful of teams were interested in acquiring. And I think for the Marlins too. You know, the two routes that you could go, you could have want like DSL Lotto or complex Upside Guy or whatever it may be. But they get two guys that I think can help them very soon and maybe as soon as this year long.
Speaker 1: I'm just glad for Jonathan Long.
Speaker 4: That he's he's kind of just free of a situation that he was never really gonna get out of and.
Speaker 1: Even with and what I'm interested to see.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if the Marlins said anything about this in the pressures that you had, you know, with Bennix, where's he gonna like play defensively? Are they gonna are they gonna lock him in at first because he was playing some left. I've watched him, like he's not the best athlete, but he's a little bit better than you'd think, Like you could hide him in a corner outfield here and there. I don't think third base is gonna work, but if he can even occasionally flash in the corner outfield, that does help because I think at least he's a short platoon guy.
Speaker 3: Long talked about getting some work in left, and he will continue to get work in left. No, you know, probably gonna be a first base in corner outfield option and right here.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that helps the profile a lot because I at at the very least this guy's gonna hammer lefties. I was impressed with him in the Fall League.
Speaker 4: It's just a really quick bat, you know, I think the path is more designed to kill lefties, but it's been consistently a good approach. He's consistently you know, swung the bat well in the upper miners, and he has a feared a field to pull the ball in the air that I'm sure the Marlins identified and more excited about. But if he can just be able to play a little bit in left field as well, it's a lot more ways to get him into the lineup. And like I said, he's a little bit more sneaky of an athlete than you think. And then Jase Beck, you know, six foot nine, two hundred pounds, you bring this this big, tall, lanky dude that still works down the mound really well. Like that's the fun part with him. He gets north a seven feet of extension at ninety five miles per hour. I imagine this is one where like Daniel Moscus is excited to see, like what kind of tweaks they can make with the secondaries because it's sixty five percent fastball usage, But like, what can you find with the secondaries with a guy that's so tall, works down the mound so well to be able to you know, really push him across to be that set of a middle reliever like he looks like right now, maybe a guy that can pitch a little bit later in ball games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two more deals that we got to go over here. Injury hampered for Boobitch, but a one for one swap. Chris Boobach goes from Kansas City to the Dodgers. Carlos Deran is the guy going back in return. Deran just made his Royal Organization debut. He fired a scoreless sitting for Triple A Omaha in forty three innings. It was a three four era out of the pen for Oklahoma City. This guy has one Big League appearance under his belt. He came with the A's last year. He got one out, he walked three and allowed three runs. Doran's been around for a while, man, Yeah, he's.
Speaker 4: He's a big dude, throws hard. I don't think anything metrically jumps out. It's it's kind of an erratic delivery, you know. I get Boobach was only going to carry so much value being presently injured and kind of a question mark, and it's the perfect pick up for the dog who don't need him, and it's just kind of a house money play. But at the end of the day for the Royals, like, you get a guy that could end up still blossoming and its newly turned twenty five years old into a solid reliever for you and if everything goes right, maybe you can pitch late in ball games. But you know, to me, I think he's still kind of more of that sixth Enning guy. Uh maybe seventh.
Speaker 3: Two players that come back for Antonio Senzateela last deal we got to go over here, Sencetel goes from the Rockies to the Milwaukee Brewers. One. Martinez and Mark Minfreddie are the two that are going from the Brewers to the Rockies.
Speaker 1: I'm excited about sense of telegoing the other way because I think this is another one you get amount of altitude you put him, you get him with the Brewers, Like what's this going to look like? Here?
Speaker 4: I am excited about that. But you know, I think for for the Rockies, they've been loving these switch hitting complex guys. They're like switch hitting younger players. And Martinez is another one of those, like switch hitter, pretty good feel to hit from both sides of the play. He's put together, you know, a nice season so far. So it's gonna be interesting to see. But it's It's kind of a dart throw there, well below average eggs of velocities, but pretty good feel for the zone, really good ability to identify spin. And I think the full season ball will be consistently good challenge for him. But yeah, I think it's one of those still kind of further off dart throws when we're talking about a reliever here, Man Freddy's no slouch though six four to two ten left he as he's on the older side, but you know, fastball is averaging in the mid nineties. Another kind of below average release sights kind of this low three quarters create some deception there, and the fastball slider combination I think can play. He'll sprinkle in a sweeper and again anytime the Rockies can get some funky arms that should play at altitude. And it's another one because of how he works for azontally and the low release should help. I think these will It's a fun lotto ticket and then a good depth arm. And at the end of the day, for Senstello, who they turned into somebody that we thought might be like a DFA candidate at one point, into a good reliever and someone that they can cash in and get an upside prospect and some pitching depth. Is I think a win for them in this new regime.
Speaker 1: That's where we.
Speaker 3: Got, folks. That's every single deadline deal and you just got a week's worth the call up content.
Speaker 4: Yep, it's exciting. It was a lot of fun going through all the deals. I hope you all enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Share with your friends, help us grow the show. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: It was cool running into some of you at the National Sports Card Convention. We are working on the Top one hundred update as well, so that should be coming out in the next week or so. I maybe going to the Field of Dream scheme, so that may delay things a little bit TBD, but we should have that out in the next week or so and then we'll start to get back on track with the team top prospect lists and things like that as well. Should have some fun stuff ahead next week, some call ups, promotions, all the stuff to catch up on as well.
Speaker 1: As always, thank you for listening. Look forward to talking prospects with you next week. Have a great weekend.