Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Hello, Welcome to the Daily Show Ears edition. I'm Juman Peran, co executive producer and writer for the Daily Show. I am back with showrunner, writer and executive producer Jen Flans.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: Jen, And you know him as mister Monday Night. John Stewart is here Monday Night. Monday Night, guys.
Speaker 1: That's like my Billy Crystal. It's Monday Night sequel to you did.
Speaker 2: We had the Saturday, most.
Speaker 3: Fun day of the week. Everyone knows Mondays as the most fun we.
Speaker 1: Have manic Monday. It's the Taco Tuesday of political satire.
Speaker 2: We had mister Saturday Night. They'll be expecting Sunday Night. So let's give him Monday Night.
Speaker 1: Let's give him mister Monday Night. It won't be expected. Nobody would expect mister Monday Night. That'd be stupid ridiculous. So we'll do it. Guys.
Speaker 2: We the last time we got together was back in February, right before John came back again on the Daily Show.
Speaker 1: I just want to jump in real quick. You're going to correct the record. I'm sorry to be that guy, but I saw you yesterday.
Speaker 3: I was also going to say that, Yeah, I think it.
Speaker 1: Was literally, Yes, I think that yesterday. It was yesterday. It was like a probably around eight.
Speaker 2: That's so true. But I was checked out so thoroughly, is that true?
Speaker 3: Since he has been checked out since February?
Speaker 2: Like Severn, I only exist in this podcast room I walk out.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny whenever I say Cuban there is he just kind of glasses over and I think he's listening, but he's clearly now.
Speaker 3: Only in this room. Okay, well, well we know that for next time. Yeah, so if we need to tell you something, we'll bring you down here, bring it back here, and I'll know, and then podcast you and we'll know. Right, it's been about what four months fiscal quarter roughly? Yes, yes, well here's the thing. Actually, looking forward to the show. We are going to be going to the conventions. We are in the summer, that's right.
Speaker 1: What are we spending Mondays at a convention? That seems weird? It's crazy. You're gonna fly all the way over there just for a Monday.
Speaker 2: Yes, although I think we'll probably just stick around for the rest of the week.
Speaker 1: Wait. Wait, when I'm not there, you guys still do the show?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, do a whole different.
Speaker 2: It's different, it's a different thing.
Speaker 1: We all separate you I was.
Speaker 2: We separately come to the building to do a different Oh. It's just like you know when you're at a bar and you're like, no, you were.
Speaker 1: Coming game shows that takes place in a supermarket. Is that we're.
Speaker 2: Is that we have a petricks all sorts of stuff?
Speaker 3: Acceptable, Yeah, we're going to the conventions. Sorry to break it to you here and now John coming with us.
Speaker 1: I don't, I mean I didn't. I was in Milwaukee anyway. That we fantastic. So I'm happy to stop buy and see what you guys are up to. I just happened to be.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what, if you're in a suit at any point, I want to just come on and do a show.
Speaker 1: That's so weird that you would say that you but I've decided to spend a week in Milwaukee wearing a suit. Well, well, how did you even know that? Since I never wear I was going to say.
Speaker 3: You know, John in suits all the time.
Speaker 2: I just thought, you know, maybe if you're a Milwaukee why aren't you wearing a suit?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And if you happen to be in Chicago the month after it turns out there.
Speaker 1: Kind of clairvoyant because I also have planted a trip. I thought to myself, what's the best time to visit Chicago? Generally it's I always say deep August.
Speaker 3: The best time to visit any city is when either of the conventions are in town, because you know, it's pleasant and all the roads are up.
Speaker 1: But Chicago in particular in August, when the Lake Michigan just just gets to that right one hundred and three hundred and forty temperature.
Speaker 2: And that humid wind coming off just as it's fantastic. This this the smell of the broad worsts.
Speaker 1: Through by the way, both cities there will be I think that will be the common theme. You know, are we that different and divided as a country when we're both experiencing at these conventions, the smell of broadworst I think brought worst is going to be the unifying.
Speaker 2: Bring this country together?
Speaker 1: And I do.
Speaker 2: And actually this is actually interesting because I would have thought going into these into this summer that you know, between the two cities, Chicago is going to be the better one to hang out in. But I've been to Milwaukee, and I was.
Speaker 1: Very Milwaukee is actually pretty fantastic.
Speaker 2: Good downtown, good uh bars and eateries. I will say it is it is interesting that we were the first late night show to ever go to the conventions. And I think John, that was yours your decision at the time, right.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 2: I don't think even now, almost no one else does it.
Speaker 3: Nobody else brings the whole show there.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh well, I think generally yeah, I don't think it was ever particularly viewed as an entertainment forum.
Speaker 3: What made you want to go?
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. During that time, I had a very strange lease where I was sharing. It was a timeshare, and uh, it just so happened that I did not have the apartment during those dates. So I thought, well, geez, if I can get the show. Do you remember, Jube, I don't think you were there yet. We used to stay when we would go to these conventions. We would stay in like dorms. I remember when we did. I can't remember which.
Speaker 3: Upen in two thousand we stayed in.
Speaker 1: And the UPenn dorms like and not even in the like regular student dorms. It was like the graduate student.
Speaker 3: Boston. We stayed in the regular dorms. You know, those were the grand dorms. They were nice, like comparatively a grad dorm, but it was.
Speaker 1: Disgusting plastic mattress the little tiny, yeah, single plastic mattress on that like weird metal, clanky cot.
Speaker 2: It was like old school dorms bathrooms, like in the middle of the whole.
Speaker 1: Uh, we don't know if it was in the middle.
Speaker 3: It was like a joint, but it was adjoining to another room.
Speaker 1: Like you definitely like there were definitely didn't have your own back.
Speaker 3: Workers and John I don't remember, but when we I got there a little early because it was in production at the time, and me and Jeana Brown ran around to every camre in the like fifty mile radius to buy glade plugins because the rooms smelt so bad, these dorm rooms.
Speaker 1: So we had plenty and Gina would even have the knowledge to know the rest of.
Speaker 3: Us would be like glade plugins.
Speaker 1: We were just assumed there was nothing you that that that smell was just a part of the experience. Only they would figure out like, oh, we don't have to live like this.
Speaker 3: It was so gross because they were so strong, they were like oh wow, say like bad like college boy bo with like glade plug in over it, like apple spice over it. Oh, it was like a good idea that turned into not a good eye.
Speaker 2: But I think that is like that is what an air freshmener does. It's just like, let's just add another bast smell so to distract from the smell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no question, because it doesn't filter anything it has to And you learned that from smoking pot in high school. Like there was no filtration system. You just had to create another smell that was so overwhelming. No one had any idea. But what you didn't realize is creating that smell was the dead giveaway because why would anyone do the room for no reason? Why would you do that to.
Speaker 3: Yourself, like smelling like ocean breeze?
Speaker 2: Why the night of all nights? So the only night I decided.
Speaker 1: Well, this was when I was doing that. It was bad. Before they had introduced electrical abilities to the to the air fresheners where you could plug them into it. This was in the old days of the renews It solid. You would buy the renews it solid and it would be like a little mini mortar shell. You would unleash it, you would turn it, you would pop up and then the renews it solid would just force itself into your room molecularly.
Speaker 3: Well, we were lucky. By two thousand they had plug it.
Speaker 1: By two thousand technology had improved so automatically.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, the awful smell was electric now and not just now. It also wasted energy.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. The pioneers, well, they had to make do with the analog renews it solid tower.
Speaker 2: They only had whale oil smell. Now, well smell so fantastic.
Speaker 1: They had uh renews it tuberculosis. I think was opened it up and it smelled like sanitarium.
Speaker 2: Do you Actually it's interesting because I think, like when I think about the conventions, the most fun part of them for me is being able to just watch every night all this stuff happening as we just kind of, you know, check in on the speeches and just watch all the fun stuff. A lot of people think about, you know, the major keynote speeches and whatnot. I remember the most fun I had at the convention was and I don't know if you guys remember this, but watching at the twenty twelve convention, they had a whole theme night that was about I built that, which was trying to make fun of yeah, and to the point where they had this a country singer come on and just sing a song called I built it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I to this day I can still say I built it with my own dude, I put an exploitive in there where I shouldn't because it's just so fun to do. But that is, to this day, really the only convention memory I really have.
Speaker 1: What I'm always comprised about with the political conventions is they are generally twenty to thirty years behind traditional stage craft. Like you know, you've got Broadway plays re enacting The Lion King with incredible costs, and like that same year at that convention, it was like, what if we got a country start nobody heard we built that, they'd be like, that'll be Amazingly.
Speaker 3: Is that the same year they put the empty stool out on stage.
Speaker 2: That was Eastwood?
Speaker 1: That was That was when we were in Austin, I think that was.
Speaker 3: It was, yeah, Yeah, Austin was the Hurricane.
Speaker 2: It was the Hurricane Convention. It was it was that in Charlotte, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Charlotte was the Democratic Convention. Yes, I remember the Hurricane Convention was the Republicans in Tampa and maybe that was Clint Eastwood. I always thought Clint Eastwood was Uh, the Republican Convention in Austin.
Speaker 3: Austin was just a mid year trip for us, was it now? It was? That was one of the most fun we have. That was such a fun trip because there was no convention and there was really no reason for us to be there except to have fun and eat and go to a very blue city in a red state.
Speaker 1: That was what I remember walking to the studio and just collecting egg tacos. Yeah, exactly that it was so good, every every deli and restaurant, and it would take me forty five minutes an hour to get there for all the egg tacos that I would collect on my way to this time.
Speaker 2: We should go to these cities the week after the convention. Why do we do it with the pressure of the convention. Let's just go and just.
Speaker 1: Hey, I've had an idea. Why don't we just go to cities we want to go?
Speaker 2: Why don't we just go where we want to go?
Speaker 1: Why don't we just go way? Why don't we just travel.
Speaker 3: Somewhere not like I wanted to go to the Greek Islands and forget Why we.
Speaker 1: Go to the political conventions this year in Florence.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll be doing that, and we will not be doing shows. We will just be going there.
Speaker 3: And eating and eating because always.
Speaker 2: Always love it. I think we wasted all of our time talking about not a waste of time actually joyful remember and joyful remembrance. That's true, that's true. But we should stay tuned viewers for the daily shows convention trips in Milwaukee and Chicago. We're going to take a quick break. We'll be right back. Welcome back, So John, before we turn over to plugs, we actually, John have a You know, our social media accounts occasionally get some questions from the fans, and most of them are very stupid, and we I don't.
Speaker 1: Know why I changed the name. Look, I had a very complicated relationship with my father.
Speaker 2: All right, That that answers one of them. But there's seventeen more about that same topic. So let's go through the one in the time. One of them actually is pretty interesting, which is, would you rather fight one Jordan Kepler sized duck or fifty duck sized Jordan Kepler's And this person did pronounce Jordan Clepper's name Kepler. I did not mispronounce it wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I don't know Jordan Kepler. So it's a very difficult Jordan's Clepper. Can you run the run the parameters of the fight by me again?
Speaker 2: So it's one Jordan Clepper sized duck or fifty duck sized Jordan Cleppers. This is interesting because Jordan Clepper himself is an enormous that's a hugely tall man.
Speaker 3: So I think i'd go where I know how.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know where i'd go on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's simple. You want I mean, I'm assuming we want fifty duck sized Jordan's Cleppers, no.
Speaker 3: Question, yes, no question why? I mean multiply Jordan Clepper. Very funny man. Great, Now we have fifty of them? Yes, amazing. They're little, but who cares?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not looking at it in any way about what they can bring to the table immediately or a.
Speaker 3: Giant a duck at Jordan Clipper's height is terrified.
Speaker 2: Yeah, about fighting them. I think about like having them be at a Trump rallies. That's actually a lot.
Speaker 1: But or use of the fifty size ducks. Even something as adorable as a duck waggle with the little tails can cuss you. There's no, there's no reason to know. No, you have to fight fifty duck sized cluppers.
Speaker 2: I mean, I still don't think I'm coming out of that fight, but at least I think it lasts a bit longer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they started like you reduced from damage, and you might not come out of it, but you would definitely be like you should have seen the other twenty eight ducks. Yes, and I was able to get through.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you thinking I can get up to almost half of the ducks.
Speaker 3: All in my head was picturing them as like ducklings and not like ducks, And now I'm thinking about ducks, and those are bigger. I still think i'd go the same way, but like, ducklings are cute, that I.
Speaker 2: Might not even if they're a duckling size. The cuteness might actually overwhelm me.
Speaker 3: That's what I was thinking of fifty little duckling Jordan cleppers.
Speaker 2: I can't fight these ducklings.
Speaker 1: They're so cute. Yeah, if they're ducklings, I mean, no matter how many there are of them, I would. I mean, if you gave me a hundred fifty duckling sized clippers, i'd most through that, like, but I would get it. If it was duck sized, I think I would start to tire. No, that's the thing. Yeah, hire in the teens and by thirty three thirty four ducks, I'm starting to go on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's definitely. It's you know, at a certain point you're breaking your foot, you know, hitting that minute, that many beaks, and that's and that's kind of the end of it, you know.
Speaker 3: No question ducks also or they look like.
Speaker 2: Jordan Clippers.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it has to be little Cane.
Speaker 2: In my head it was Jordan Clepper with.
Speaker 3: As a duck. So that's what happened to me with the ducklings. And I was like, oh, so cute, but Jordan's face on it, Yes, that's duckling body, very cute, very cute.
Speaker 2: We should make we should clone Jordan Clipper into a duck.
Speaker 3: Who asked this question?
Speaker 1: I don't think own then I have to say, I think that's a transmography. I don't. I don't. If you you can't clone somebody into something they're not, you would have to clone them to beat the exact replic.
Speaker 2: That's fair, and I apologize for that mistake. That's that was a bit.
Speaker 1: No need to apologize at the Institute of Clonology where I work. Before you people wonder where I've been for nine years.
Speaker 3: I didn't know the amount of times I've looked into cloning my dog. I could probably answer these questions for.
Speaker 2: Before we go, John, you have a new podcast, the Weekly Show. I know, I have no idea where you came up with. It's such a great idea, such a great name passed through. It does obviously, you know, double your workload from from one day to two, and I, uh, you know, is that like, what's it like to work that hard?
Speaker 1: You know? Youman and I And I say this with all humility. It's not me, it's the creatine. Oh I'm I've been I've been juicing. I don't know if anybody at the show even knows that, but I've been juicing since I got there. I'm hoping there's no testing regime because I've got sayings in my system that would make uh a Chinese Olympics swimmer watch. I mean, it is.
Speaker 2: A lot of times creating goes some muscles, but my specific example, it mostly just goes just to to thinking harder large the kid.
Speaker 1: It right into my eyes.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I I like the idea that someone taking steroids but like not working out and just having uh, just having there.
Speaker 1: I just like the feeling you do that, you know, I take steroids for the back act. Yeah, it doesn't work out.
Speaker 2: One person's side effact is another person's feature. Yeah, can we hear about the podcast? What what can listeners expect? Oh, I'm so, I'm on it, okay, right away, right away.
Speaker 1: So a lot of the ship we're doing right here now with you guys, probably a lot of that fantastic, fantastic. The premise of it right now is uh uh for this election year, just sense of what we were talking about infusing into the show, sort of that idea of you know, they say Donald Trump is the greatest start to democracy, and I think this is an exploration of maybe the greatest. That democracy is a dysfunctional democracy, one that creates opportunities for demogogus and Charletan's and everyone else to come in and hijack it.
Speaker 2: So your theory is that Donald Trump is a symptom of a of a deeper rot in our democracy that gives rise to him.
Speaker 1: Shuban, I wish that I'd answered that question the way you just answered it. Because that is a very succinct and apt way of describing it.
Speaker 3: In fairness, he had it written down beforehand.
Speaker 2: These pages.
Speaker 1: Nonrelated GPTs are unrelated.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at man, but no, that is. That is also why I will be taking over the Weekly Show podcasts.
Speaker 1: Aw that is you're actually the guest host that goes in one and the head down breaking down.
Speaker 3: Not enough creatine in the world, guys, That's what.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Listeners, be sure to check out The Weekly Show with John Stewart every Thursday wherever you get your podcasts. Thank you, John, Jen.
Speaker 3: Thank you all.
Speaker 1: Happy birthday very.
Speaker 3: Much, and Jays we'll see you. We'll see you on the zooms.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 2: This has been a Comedy Central podcast