Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where all divisions are created equal, but the NFC is a little more equal. I'm Greg Rosenthal here in the Chris Westleying podcast studio with my friend Patrick Claybahn. That's a little bit of a joke there, Patrick, because you know the shadowy League figures the schedule makers, it's they're all about the NFC East. They're just always hoping the NFC East can be good so that they can just put them in primetime all the time.
Speaker 2: And that's how you feel.
Speaker 3: Imagine how the people who are not fans of a team in the East might feel, or the general viewer when it's like Week twelve and here's you know, a non Jackson Dark Giants team playing on Monday Night.
Speaker 4: I've been that guy. Over the years.
Speaker 1: The Giants and Commanders have been the most egregious members, always in primetime, the old Washington team, especially back in the day.
Speaker 4: It's just like just trotting them out there.
Speaker 1: And yet I surmise this season, oh, Patrick, that they are one of the most interesting divisions, that they are going to be worthy of that much airtime. Because even if the Commanders and the Giants, maybe they're not projected to go to the playoffs. I think top to bottom. If I'm ranking like most interesting divisions, worst case, they're in the middle this year, they're not very often in the last ten fifteen years, it kind of been at the bottom. I think all four of these teams were going to preview today are intrigument Yes, I mean.
Speaker 3: Well again, we got thirty two interesting teams. The problems with the schedule makers is, you know, certain things are made for ever audience, maybe viewer, not necessarily people who are dialed in and watching NFL Network listening to the NFL days.
Speaker 4: They're not all ego though.
Speaker 1: There's like there's like four to there's like six to eight that are a little less intriguing I think from like a national broadcast perspective. But even the giants, I mean they got some top line talent. We'll get to them second. Because what we do on this show. If you've been tuning in and this is number seven, so we don't play favorites NFC East, they're not, you know, closing the show and you know they're just in the middle, seventh out of our eight division. In previews, we have a twelve minute clock for every team. Soft clock not a hard one, So sometimes you go a little over. I give you some categories, we both answer those categories, and then at the end we predict how this division is going to finish. We go in alphabetical order by the city. The Dallas Cowboys get us going. A young Patrick Claybah once rooted for his favorite player, DeMarcus where when he was on the Cowboys. Let's start here even before what's bringing us joy? Which is usually how I start. But since we've last taped, Von Miller is a member of the Dallas Cowboys. Does that remind you, Yeah, a little bit of your guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why he's my most important ark.
Speaker 3: No, but can the parallels there as dware goes to the Denver Broncos on tail and he wasn't at the tail end of his career that Von Miller is, but you know, just outside or maybe towards the end of his prime, goes and gets a ring there, and Vaughn, after recording the franchise on social media for what feels like the last five months, as finally you know, acquired a spot on his on his hometown team. But I think it's another player on the defensive line. I think Quentin Williams is the most important non quarterback because again, the defense was so bad and there's only so much you can do. To ask a rookie free agent, I mean a rookie at free safety in Caleb downs to do and to take over everything it has to be quin Williams, you had the highest pressure percentage among all defensive tackles in the entire league after the trade, and so I think that is where the true importance is on the interior of the Cowboys defensive line.
Speaker 1: I love that you just like, we don't have to do these categories in any sort of order, and I agree with you. I was thinking about the same thing when thinking about most important non quarterback, and I got a little cute because Quinn Williams, I think, is the more like, the more like logically answer. He's got to be He's got to be great, but there's no reason to think he won't be great. Donamanezerakus who I picked. And so it was going along with this von Miller signing in general that the money they gave von Miller, like over five million dollar base salary, and you could say.
Speaker 4: Like that's the respect for a player who's done a lot in the league.
Speaker 1: But that's a significant amount of money at this point in free agency. That tells me like you're gonna have a role. Does that make me worried a little bit about how they saw the rest of their edge position now the reports in camp, or maybe Malachi Lawrence, their first round pick, maybe not ready to make a huge instant impact, so it could be a little bit more about that. I thought Sam Williams, who they brought back, has been having a good camp reportedly, but maybe, you know, maybe they're not counting on too much from him. Rashan Gary is who he is. I think he's a solid NFL player. I don't think he's going to change your life. Eziaku to me, is kind of the key one of this whole defensive line because they work as a defense if they are deep along the defensive front. We talked about defensive tackle, but Aziraku is the chance to be special out of that group, to make a big leap and to have a difference maker. Because I see a lot of solid players, I want a difference maker, and I think as Araku in his second year and the reports have been good so far, could be a difference maker. Let's let's go back and let's talk about what's bringing you joy with this Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: I think what's bringing me joy is we kind of talked about the overall feeling of fatigue regarding vision and I think a lot of that fatigue is also placed on the Dallas Cowboys. But there appears to be this begrudging acknowledgment that.
Speaker 2: This team is good.
Speaker 3: Yes, the people who have cast a franchise and you know, mainly due to the actions of its ownership to the side, I have come back to take this grim sense of the Dallas Cowboys are good like it's it's not homersm for people to talk about it. It's not like this overwhelming pressure from capital to talk about the Dallas Cowboys like they're they're going to be a good football team.
Speaker 2: I think that it brings me joy in that it's changed.
Speaker 3: That doesn't bring me joy in the sense like you accuse me of being a Cowboys fan would this time, which you don't do anymore. But that does bring me joy because the cyclical nature of the ability of football teams has come back around for the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: We enjoy watching certain players, we enjoy watching excellent offense. I think Dak Prescott is a man we've enjoyed watching at his peak, and that's what's bringing me joy. And it's very similar to what you said there that we're kind of set up for Dak three point zero or four point zero, how you want to.
Speaker 4: Think about it.
Speaker 1: If you think about Dak's career, he's always been very good. He's had some devastating injuries to come back from, but I do think his peaks have been especially special. His rookie season where he gets an MVP vote, like as a rookie, that was the Matt Ryan rookie year.
Speaker 4: That's just next level.
Speaker 1: I think about the first McCarthy Division title year where they led the league in points. That was a special Dak year. I think that was maybe his comeback Player of the Year vote year the top. Yeah, him and Burrow came back in the same season, so they split the votes. Burrow ended up getting it, but that was a special year. And then a couple of years ago he's second in MVP. But now that's actually three years removed, so I guess those are three really specially. I just think we're all set up with Pickens is still here, having a great camp. The offensive line to me is enough shoddy. I think is a good head coach and it's year two of an offense where everyone like it's just set up for him to live up to those shirts he's wearing where they're going to be like the best offense in the league and he's wearing super Bowl shirts. It is very exciting that DAK is set up for this sort of season. So we did the most important non quarterbacks one of the categories here is just something schematic related that gets your your football loins as juicing seame dream well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and ultimately because Christian Parker would like to escape this giant shadow that is cast all over the league in terms of Vic Fangiol.
Speaker 2: He's connected to everything as you've their.
Speaker 4: New defensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Christian Parker comes in and we're not going to really see all of the coverage disguising everything in the preseason, So just have to kind of base it off of what Christian Parker was saying over the course of the summer, which sounds like everything that everybody says.
Speaker 2: Here's the quote, We're going to be multiple.
Speaker 3: Whatever you form a defensive structure is about the players you have or our cour pencibles will be three four by nature, but four to three spacing will be appropriate. All that coming in just to acknowledge the sameness of what all the coordinators say when they start. But I think as we see the front seven, specifically the off ball linebackers get a little bit bigger for Dallas, there'll be this capacity to kind of limit things on the inside where for years they've been getting run all over. There was no amount of scheming that Matt Eberflus could do, you know, as limited as things were with his capacity for that last season. Between the talent, the play calling, everything, I don't think it is just coach beak to hear Christian Parker say these things, yeah, and to talk about the way that they're going to approach things because they have the players to facilitate that scheme. Not to the extent that Vic Fangio, you know, had a future Defensive Player of the Year and Patrick's Artan when he had queen Ya Mitchell come in as a rookie and be able to stay on one side of the field for forever. They don't have that level of talent. But I think there's something to be excited about there.
Speaker 1: I totally agree, and look, he was with vic in Denver as well. He was with like Patrick Sartan. He's had a little Vans Joseph time, so he's learned from the best. I think of those systems as so secondary dependent that that is my things go wrong if oh, like he doesn't have the pieces enough in the back end. Now on paper, it looks a little better than a year ago. Shavon Ravel is a player they took high in the draft knowing he wasn't going to contribute as a rookie really, and he didn't. He struggled down the stretch. He's reportedly looked better. Dron Bland is healthy, so he's back. They signed Kobe Durant, but that's kind of a middling solid replacing guy midlan is Ow.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 1: They signed Jalen Thompson, a guy from Arizona who's played a lot of STAPs, has not practiced in campleing he's just been hurt the whole time. So Malie Hooker is a guy some people around the team wonder like, is he long for this roster. It's putting a lot on Caleb Downs as a rookie, and Caleb Downs could be that dude. But That's kind of why I started with we're talking pass rush. The pass rush can make the back end. I don't see a great secondary there. I think I see a hoping to be solid, and solid would be a big improvement from a year ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that was why things go wrong if if darn Bitbland isn't all the way back after two consecutive years with foot injuries, because then you start, which is going to be kind of a theme with this division, that shell game of all right, well so did we've done this to make up for this, and then eventually the whole thing just kind of collapses where yeah, if they if they can't cover it, we don't need like Defensive Player of the Year candidate Ron Bland for things to work, like they need.
Speaker 2: Just Deron Bland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just the guy that be out there, out there on the field for fifteen games would alleviate a lot of concern.
Speaker 4: I think that's true.
Speaker 1: And Christian Parker, who's been a rising name I think in coaching circles for a while, he did the thing that Bill Barcels always said was important. I thought that, you know, sometimes Bill Barcells spoke some bs. Sometimes it was truth and or are.
Speaker 2: We putting the balance on that. If you put it right in the middle.
Speaker 1: It's pretty. It's pretty in the middle. Oh yeah, we disagree. I mean he said something about like you gotta take jobs when you know he once talked about how you take the jobs when they're at their lowest because you're gonna look better when you take it. I don't think that was Christian Parker's intention of taking this job. But they literally, according to the DVOA, were the worst defense in the last twenty five years.
Speaker 4: So only you're only going up.
Speaker 1: You're gonna look like a good coach if you make them twenty first and that might be all they need to be a playoff team now, if they want to go far in the playoffs, they might need to be a little bit better than that. The scheme dream I wanted to talk about was they were the team. And I'm not sure everyone realizes this. That played at the fastest pace in the entire NFL last year. You have Dak Prescott as smart as canny like at quarterback, as I think any quarterback in the entire NFL, kind of at the peak of his powers mentally, while the physical attributes are still there. Everyone thought Brian Schottenheimer was going to be like his dad and run the ball like crazy. They actually were last in the NFL in choosing to run in power situations. In terms of neutral situations, they were well below average in choosing to run. He knew where his best players were, and so it's not just about that they were trailing that they let Dak do this. And I see that George Pickens in year two of this system. Ryan Flinoy is a good young player as their third. It's a really veteran group, even the offensive line, how the Tyler's you know Smith guy in Booker. Two of those guys are young, but they've been there. Like this is a team that can go fast, fast, fast, and I think that works well against a lot of what defenses are doing. So to me, that's gonna be a really fun thing to watch them, just maybe playing at a little turbo speed, which it kind of did last year while no one was looking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why sit back if you don't have to and get pummeled and have chances for everybody's checks to come through, you know, the pressure schemes to all get set up, maybe even substitute, like if you if you.
Speaker 1: Don't have to do that, you got to trust everyone, and you got to have and you do with Dak Prescott, and you got to trust all the personnel to run the play, and you got to have a versatile group of players, and I think they do. I've really enjoyed hearing everything at camp that Pickens has kind of come in there.
Speaker 4: Just like ready to go.
Speaker 1: Because this is him, like like after he hasn't always been in camps and stuff. He's had smaller injuries and stuff like that over the year. So I just like that he's healthy. I just I just love I love everything.
Speaker 3: Then I'm here like the overreaction like after last year where the culmination of the Pickens things was getting hurt against Detroit and he went to a casino with CD before a game like that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What I mean is that for the people watching the practice reports, it hasn't always like he hasn't been the most consistent player, and I think that happens with young players. And if you get an extremely consistent season out of Pickens again, they are going to be really really tough to stop as long as that offensive line plays well enough. I going into last season, I thought they had like a top five ceiling, and they were I would say well below that. In the end in terms of their offensive line, they just need to be good. But I think their ceiling is still pretty high. Let's talk ceiling floor the whole team.
Speaker 4: Where do you see them?
Speaker 2: The ceiling is the super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's go.
Speaker 2: I don't think that it's bluster.
Speaker 3: I think this this Cowboys team can, as a lot of these teams can when the Super Bowl, the way things play off, I see the floor as relatively high as well.
Speaker 2: Ten wins, that's a high floor. It's a high floor.
Speaker 3: But like that's the place where we're saying all things are saying the court, and again.
Speaker 4: We're talking in ceiling floor.
Speaker 1: We've made it clear if you're just tuning in to the division previous, that's assuming health, relative health, and so.
Speaker 3: As thin as things are in the secondary, which every single team has to navigate this minefield, that is a game that's inherently not good for your body to play. DAK plays the secondary is able to stay thin and play that they win take games.
Speaker 4: I think the ceiling.
Speaker 1: At first, I just thought win the division, win some a playoff game or two, and that's about the ceiling. I don't know if I'm backing off my like extreme optimism that I started the offseason with because everyone's on it. I shouldn't be like that. Don't let the outside forces infect you. Are they one of the teams I can imagine in the Super Bowl representing the NFC they are. It's not that long a list, not as long a list in the NFC as it is the AFC.
Speaker 4: They are. I think they can make the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: I think the floor is closer to you know, eight and nine, nine and eight, just if if the defense just doesn't take a big step forward. You know, they were still as good as the offense was a year ago. They were like eighth and dv awaight like they did the floor for a team. I think it is a round five hundred, maybe nine to eight or so. Let's go to the Giants. What is bringing you joy?
Speaker 4: For the New York Giants?
Speaker 2: Not to be shot and fruity.
Speaker 1: I'm a little I'm a little worried about the hesitation there.
Speaker 4: You know, You're like, is anything bringing me joy?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Well, ultimately you get it. You get a chance to have people talk about the adult in the room. There's been a lot of conversation about the state of the franchise. Yeah, and now with John Harball there to lead it. And I'm excited for the results to play out, whatever they may be, because I think they could possibly be instructive as to how we have view circumstances regarding changes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're what's bringing joy as you're rooty against John hord.
Speaker 2: I'm not rooting against John Holbro.
Speaker 3: I'm rooting against the results to play out and everybody to adjust their expectations relative to what they see.
Speaker 1: How high are the expectations for this team? Are they that high?
Speaker 2: I think they're higher than they have been.
Speaker 3: And this is a team that has been more likely to lose nine games than they are to go to the postseason, you know if you go back the past decade, and so the expectations are up. There's excitement surrounding Jackson Dart. But I think I'm just it brings me joy that we get to find out, Okay, we get to find out how it works to have a quote unquote adult in the room.
Speaker 1: You're being a little sneaky here, but heck, nine losses would be a great season for them. That would be their second best season of the last twelve years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're not third best.
Speaker 1: Sorry, they made the playoffs twice, but every other season was that at least six wins or fewer, going back all the way to their last nine and seven season with Eli Manning.
Speaker 4: That's crazy to think about. I'll start with the draft picks.
Speaker 1: Watching the first preseason game, Rvel Reese just throwing Donovan Jackson that the Vikings guard aside and sticking who is the running back in the hole? I think I think it was Jordan Mason and just like that run stopped right there. I think he was born to play off ball linebacker. I'm kind of glad that he got drafted by a team that doesn't need him at edge. And then between him and Francis Mauinoa, who had a good first preseason game two and could help transform that line into a group where suddenly you know you got him and Andrew Thomas. You okay, we got a couple of difference makers. We got a couple other solid players that we believe in two including illumin Or at right tackle, and we could get powerful, we could run the ball. This is a team with top end talent. Potentially if those guys pan out and then which will bring me I'll just go right into my most important quarterback because it'll be It'll be Neighbors. And to me, the two options where neighbors are Abdul Carter. Did did you choose one of those two? Okay, why don't you go with neighbors and I'll go with Abdul Carter. But my point connecting all these is like, Okay, Reese Mario a Neighbors, Abdul Carter, Andrew Thomas, Brian Burns, Like, we got some some great players on this team. You go through other teams that are consensus last place teams, which the Giants are for everything you're saying, like the expectations are higher, like that they're favored to come and last, like these are some high level players. Why is neighbors to you so important?
Speaker 3: Because in terms of offensive playmakers, and you know, acknowledging the fact that Cam Scatabu was one of the best performing running backs over a stretch last season, he's got to come back from that.
Speaker 2: But Malik Neighbors.
Speaker 3: Is is so unique in terms of talents capacity to make plays with the football that it kind of changes the season long outlook of an offense, which is why it's it's very important to you to not kind of hand phicedly get him back on the field if he's not ready to play. And we're not just in terms of their ability to execute on the field, but general belief probably not just am on the fan base, but among the team.
Speaker 2: If Malik Neighbors is.
Speaker 4: Is the opponents too, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because it's there's so much more that you have to do to prepare for this version of this Giants team that you know. Well, we'll talk about the scheme and those facilitating it shortly, but Milik Nighbors changes all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a little what I'm worried about the the offensive staff. I caution and we might get into this on some of our fantasy previews. Everyone check out Patrick Claibond back hosting NFL Live for the what seasons.
Speaker 3: NFL Fantasy Fantasy Life. This is going to be the sixth season because it coincides with my daughter's birth.
Speaker 1: That is incredible, And yeah, people can check out Patrick and Adam Rank and Marcus and Cynthia Florida, like the whole gang is back. Very cool and it's back to daily on NFL Network. I love seeing that so we're gonna be talking on that sea.
Speaker 4: Why not.
Speaker 1: I'm not taking Milak Neighbors in fantasy under any circumstances. I think these injuries are really serious. I think people are getting a little over their skis of like the slight improvements as he's getting ready. And I'm just thinking about as a realistic human that we're probably not seeing the best of Malik Neighbors until twenty twenty seven. Now, can you see that maybe even the second half of twenty twenty six, that would be great, That would be a massive bonus, which I think it's the right choice, yeah, for most important non quarterback. But I'm just about like setting expectations at a fair level. And then I think if he's not full Malak Neighbors, I think you look after him and you think, you know, this is one of the worst receiver groups overall in the NFL. You know you're hoping Malkyfield steps up. You get a hope Darnell Moon, Like, we've got some NFL players there, Calvin Austen, and we'll see if it'll be makes the team. But like it's a lot for Jackson Dart in this this offensive staff to make up for if malak neighbors isn't right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there was a great catch about you know, Malachi makes it.
Speaker 3: It makes a great play in a in a situation where they might not have done much with that one offense out there if not because he got a great screen to Devin Singletary to get forty two yards on that draft, to get Dart in that position to throw that ball to Malachai fields. But it's there's going to be so much on Mylikue neighbors if he's not healthy, and like one plage neighbors can do all of those things. Yeah, are we going to ask eighty nine percent Molakue neighbors to carry this offense if he if he's only eighty nine.
Speaker 1: Even some other reporting Jordan Rainon from ESPN at yeah, saying it was his first day. It was a big step for him going in some drills you know against you know, defensive players on Monday. So that's it's a big first step. But it's still non contact. He looked like he, you know, maybe it was favoring Like I'm just saying, be patient. Abdol Carter would be the other option if you want like five to ten minutes on Abdul Carter. We did an edge rusher draft way earlier in the offseason in May me and Ali Connelly.
Speaker 4: We took Abdul Carter ninth.
Speaker 1: He actually went six spots ahead of Brian Burns, which is almost disrespectful to Brian Burns. But he's got to go perform. I think he can. I think he can be an elite edg rusher. He's got to go prove it. Finish plays. And if you can do that, him and Brian Burns and then with Keveon Thibodeau as your third, is as good an edge rush group as there is in the entire NFL. My concern and you, I think alluded to it were for this team in general. I have it under scheme dream, but it could be things go wrong if as well would be the three horsemen of the offensive apocalypse, Matt Naggie, Greg Roman and Brian Callahan running your team. Little concerning that that's the trio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was what I actually had for my scheme dream was a parenthetical nightmare where Naggie and the Chiefs and arguably the best quarterback of all time, got worse progressively as his ten got longer. His second tenure in Kansas City, they were ninth in yards, sixteenth in yards, and twentieth in yards over those three seasons. Brian Callahan's quarterback when he was the offensive coordinator and head coach, his offensive finishes. His offense has finished twenty seventh and thirtieth in yards the last two years. And if those two don't concern your enough, Greg Roman is also there to help make things so much better. And we saw how that went for a Chargers team that yes, fell apart on the offensive line, but schematically things were so frustrating for the end to watch what Justin Herbert was dealing with that. I don't know if Jackson Dart can solve the things that both Justin Herbert and Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of cooks in the kitchen in the passing game specifically, I'm curious if they'll have the right answers.
Speaker 4: Hot take.
Speaker 1: I'd actually feel slightly better about this if Greg Roman was just the OC.
Speaker 4: Just tick away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's searingly hot.
Speaker 1: I think here's why, and it's why I have a little bit of confidence between this offensive line and the running game that he installs, and hopefully Scataboo and possibly Najree Harris. There's some talk that he could be joining this team. Usually the first year or two of Greg Roman. Like you got a mobile quarterback, like the Running Game, the running game can be solid, That's all.
Speaker 4: I just would feel better.
Speaker 1: I feel okay about what he's adding if he's in. You know, his title is specifically about the running Game that I actually feel more confident that he can help that I will go to the things go wrong if category, and it would be the secondary getting flamed, very similar to my last one. But in this case, I think the past rus is going to make up for it so much that hopefully it won't happen. But between the linebackers in coverage and we'll see. I think our VL Reese could be great. But you know, it's been a weakness for them. Paulson Adebo's running with the second team. They're really counting on Greg Newsom, who struggled a lot in previous years and has been hurt for camp. Deontay Banks is actually bad good graces and is now starting again. Colton Hood is a second round pick who reportedly hasn't had like the best camp in the world. Denard Wilson is the defensive coordinator, and I just don't know what he's going to bring to the table because he was given a tough group to work with in Tennessee. I think he did okay with that, but he's more of just like a concept. I'm not really sure what he's going to do. And I think he's got a tough situation here in the back end potentially too. So that's something where the secondary could let them down if the but maybe the passer's so good, like the secondary doesn't even matter.
Speaker 3: Well, if that were the case, we would have seen that last year, if that were possible. Right, for all of this talent up front, you know, you take Dexter Lawrence out of the equation. It's like, is a legitimate question which defensive front seven had more talent? Was it the twenty twenty five Giants or the twenty twenty six Giants.
Speaker 1: The defensive tackle, I should note too, on paper, is a group that has a lot of questions. They brought INDJ Reader as a free agent. After that, it's not a lot of pass rush and when they were one of the worst run, you know, stopping teams in the NFL last year.
Speaker 2: And Wilson was with the Titans. I believe that as DC for a couple of years.
Speaker 3: One of those years was really really good and so like that, Hey, plus, like if if there is a way to facilitate that that back end uh to have somewhat of a decent performance relative to what they were able to do last year. Like that's that's a positive way to make this all work. And as you said, the offense, as you know, there's a pullback on the Matt Naggy and a push forward on Greg Rosenthals Greg Roman, twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying I think he brings something to the table.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure about the Callahan and the Naggy of it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you you.
Speaker 3: Grind Jackson Dart, you're running QB power at the five and you you know, carve out a season.
Speaker 1: What's the ceiling and flora this team. We haven't talked Jackson Dart specifically yet, so this is a good spot to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they could, they could win ten games. I think they could get up there full pedal to the floor, triple options like they're they're they're doing it right and Darts dobbin and the end zone head first having a great time. Uh, they could get up there and win some games and bother some people. The floor is a decidedly different circumstances.
Speaker 1: You're going extreme floor, Yeah, like top five pick, yeah, six, six, seven, Okay, six wins probably gets to like the seventh pick something like that. Ten wins a lot like what what is the ceiling of both the offense of the defense. When I was really thinking about even as good as I think some of their top end players are, man, if they got like a slightly below average offense, I think that'd be a pretty big win for them. It's hard for me to scratch out a team that would be better than average on offense. It would really be about the offensive line, and it would be about Jackson Dart doing what we expect second year quarterbacks to do, which just take a step forward. And he's shown he can make the special place. He saw it with Malchi Fields last week. He saw it last season like his great moments were really great. He's got something to him. He's an NFL player. It's the consistency down to down, it's getting to his second reads, it's running an offense and having the right setup. To me, nine to eight is about as high as I go even eight and nine, I think would be an outstanding result for this team.
Speaker 4: So that's more what I see the ceiling of the team and you.
Speaker 1: Have five and twelve, and that's really more about Dart would be my floor.
Speaker 4: I think there.
Speaker 1: I don't know how his career is going to go, but he could be someone that kind of kicks around and doesn't stick as like a permanent starter. I think that's I think there's a lot of outcomes for his career. I think he's a really high ceiling, low floor quarterback, and so this is going to be important season. But if I could see him struggling and then he's then they're five and.
Speaker 3: Twelve, like a circumstance where it's like not a like a minimum Baker where the second the second actor never comes and it's it's not due to injury.
Speaker 1: You just kind of like a poor man's Baker. Yeah, like like a like a Portals maybe. I mean Bortles had his one year for Jacksonville, but yeah, like he's physically gifted and he showed way more than Bortles did early. I just mean, I don't know, I think it'll be better than.
Speaker 3: That Portles versus Dark career arc Is on does he ever get within a controversial play of a Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: I think he's going to be much closer to Jamis Winston's career. Arc you know, maybe like slightly lesser his backup quarterback to me is actually kind of the type of player, type of career I think he'll have.
Speaker 4: We'll have a long career.
Speaker 1: He'll have some fun highs, but maybe a guy that you can't really trust.
Speaker 4: He'll evaluate these young quarterbacks. He'll be getting a backup.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, he's going to be playing for a long time. Let's take a quick break. We've hit half the nf see East. We are going to come back with the team that has dominated the division for the most part over the last decade. Back in the NFL Daily Patrick making off colored jokes right before we turned the camera on. They had nothing to do with the NFC East. There's a theme here with these last two teams, the Eagles and the Commanders. And as much as I alluded to the Eagles dominating this division over the last decade, I mean that that Commander's team is only two years ago in the NFC Championship, the Eagles still dominated.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the pinnacle of franchise they still got.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying they were one of the final two teams in the NFC. The Philadelphia Eagles and the Commanders have something in common, and it that they are installing tree or tree adjacent offense, is a lot more under center work for their quarterbacks. It's what fans in both cities have been asking for over the last few years. It's really similar everything you're hearing out of the two training camps. And I'll kick off the Eagles by saying, that's bringing me joy when it comes to Philadelphia, that they're committed to this, that the Sean mannion who comes from the Green Bay Matt Laflor system buzz has been good in terms of that. This offense really does look different. I've gotten increasingly tired of watching the Eagles offense be erratic in the same way year after year, no matter who the coordinator is. And so I think you're going to see a different running game with more outside zone. I think you're going to see the play action, You're going to see the more motion. It's going to be less one on one and the thing that is bringing to me more joy and everyone is everyone for whatever reason saying this year that hurts is just like in a much better mood. He's ready to go. He's embracing this offense, he's taking more leadership. He feels lighter, not the weight of the world on his shoulder. All this stuff is coming from inside and outside the house. That's bringing me joy that we see a different Eagles offen.
Speaker 2: Where are they getting that? Though? Where are they all.
Speaker 1: Of his teammates, For one, some have been on the record that they've talked about that that he's been like.
Speaker 4: Kind of viewing that part of his job.
Speaker 1: And if you just watch him at the podium, he's just not as like self serious for what it's worth. And more importantly is the on the field stuff that I think it's going to look different, so that I'm excited about. They're one of the teams I'm really looking forward to seeing week one, Like what does this look like?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think you know, there's a probably a little bit of a contrast from the doom and gloom questions about his teammates and their relationships over the course of seven months not happening anymore. That can make things a little bit lighter at the podium. It's just odd to me because there's a lot of external conversation about the interior thoughts of Jalen Hurts when it's the same quotable Jalen Hurts that's available to everybody at all times. I just the conversation in Philly is so constant and overbearing and everlasting that that's what brings me joy is the capacity forward to end.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, you think it will end?
Speaker 3: No, just with regards to this rendition of the team, because eventually you run out of people to blame and perhaps that attention and maybe it'll all be focused on Jalen Hurts, but some of it we'll get to the head coach and the decision making and the process that goes into the making of those decisions where it's got to happen at some point and this is going to be the season for it.
Speaker 1: Do you think he entered into chat GPT? How do I stay off the hot seat? You know?
Speaker 2: What do I do?
Speaker 3: And maybe it probably was For a lot of people that would never listen to certain voices, the llms have been great because it gives them the chance to talk to somebody that doesn't exist, because those other voices might as well not exist to them.
Speaker 1: To something that is just you know, trawling through like three year old you know, rivals dot Com articles, Yeah, and just picking out things and then spitting out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if there are forces of power in your life that don't listen to you, go on Reddit and make incessant comments about your worldview for the next six thousand years and perhaps that will collectively be up sucked into this death of thought.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Sirianni their head coaches embracing our new overlords.
Speaker 2: We're not.
Speaker 1: But the scheme that I talked about, and I think it will be a change from what Nick Sirianni's coaching tree, including Chanine Ssyke and runs, is going to look different for the offensive line. I'll talk about that for my scheme dream because Lane Johnson and Jordan Malatta and even Lane and Dickerson have talked about it in the preseason. It's gonna be very different for them too. I think their old scheme was a very like we're gonna ask you to win one on one, and it got to highlight.
Speaker 4: How good they were. Here.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit more of bean and sync, you know, especially with the with the running game, when Saquon Barklay hasn't really played in this sort of offense that often either I just am curious, like, what is it gonna look like for this offensive line? We know they're very talented, but they are gonna be asked to do different things. It could be Lane Johnson's last year sounds like it will be. Uh Lannon Dickerson's a guy who's had his injury struggles, but Melata is like an all pro caliber player. Cam Jurgens is a good player. Like, just what is it gonna look like? Is it gonna unlock even more for them? Could there be some growing pains because they're gonna be asked to do different things? And they have spoken about they think it's gonna make it easier, but they've really emphasized like it is really different. Like it like Lane Johnson specifically has been in one type of way of doing things and here he's now trying something different.
Speaker 3: And it's it's funny that it's different when there's this level of homogeny now throughout the league where so many like Mentor in his capacity for and again as a preseason game and nobody's showing a lot of things, it looked disjointed, It looked weird. I don't know if that was anything. Yeah, the Eagles offense in the opening preseason game. It did not lead to a lot of excitement to say like, oh yeah, the tree is here.
Speaker 2: To say Philadelphia, it.
Speaker 1: Was second and third stringers. They'll say they don't you know, game plan and all that stuff. But that's fair.
Speaker 4: What is schematically interesting you to this team?
Speaker 3: I think right because when my lott I was talking about their capacity to impact the field stretch wise, I think people consume that is, oh, we're gonna go down the field more. They went down the field all the time. I think he meant horizontally in terms of places to attack the defense in the run game as well as the pass game, that it's not just those those screens. To DeVonta Smith, I, it's the tree.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is it?
Speaker 3: Is it the same version? Is it more leaflora as it's coming from?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know this this Green Bay aspect of it where we've seen it in so many places. Can they can this group of players execute it to the extent that we see an others doing it?
Speaker 1: And how creative is it in terms of the running game, How creative can they execute the running game?
Speaker 4: How run heavy is it?
Speaker 1: Because I think Michae Lafleur or Matt Lafleur rather, that's where he you know, loves to live, and I'm excited to see it. I think we could get not a resurgent Saquon Barkley season, but I expect something between twenty four and twenty five in terms of his production, and maybe closer to twenty four just in terms of pure effectiveness this season. So I think Saquon Barkley could be better. DeVante Smith is going to be treated as a true number one. I think Doantavian Wicks is a really important player for them in terms of you talk about.
Speaker 2: He's more familiar with the offense than anybody else on.
Speaker 1: The team, and just according to training camp reports, makaile Lemon just hasn't been out there, and Darius Cooper, who I thought is making this team, was out there deep with the deep backups, and so I, you know, I don't know about this receiver depth. I think they really want don Tavian Wicks to be a really crucial player for this offense. Who is your most important non quarterback on the team.
Speaker 3: It's Jalen Carter that I think, because the team relies on this defense, They rely on their defense to make plays.
Speaker 2: And with Dejean and and Quinnon and all.
Speaker 3: Of these guys that are there to facilitate the player that ultimately makes the plays. This Jalen Carter. I think that makes the most plays on this defense. That is the strength of the team.
Speaker 1: He wasn't as consistent last year as he was the year very hurt. He wasn't consistently healthy, and that's hard to predict. But that was my cho because I think the defense needs to be great. I think the defense should be great. It is looking really good at every level. Yeah, I think it's the best looking defense in the NFL. Look on paper. Even It's tough to pick between them and the Texans. But if if you were telling me, take the coaches away, okay, and I'm just you just just get the eleven starters and you got to go play a game, and uh, and I'm coaching it, so basically they're going to coach themselves, I think I actually would take the Eagles. I mean, I just like I love them at every position. Ojamo has turned into a real player. Jordan Davis is such a player. They bring in Jonathan Gernard Riek Wollen was a free agent pick up I really liked from Seattle. You have quinnyan in Cooper de Gene, you have Jehad Campbell in his second year. You have pass rush depth with Jylex Hunt, and like you, you're bringing Nolan Smith off to I just I just think they have aunt Zach bond Is like a defensive player of the year. I just I know that the Texans are almost there. Maybe they're there, I don't know. It's tough to pick between them. It's a stupid for instance, because those are my top two. Yeah, and it's by a lot.
Speaker 3: I think Bernard takes it over the top because there's that interior versus edge where you may slide with the generational edges that they have in Houston. But the fact that the depth jumps out at you, you know, it's six and one hand half done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was It was a silly thing to bring up. My larger point is they're very good. They're great. But I also think Carter being the superstar and healthy is really important for everyone else because I think that really helps out the rest of the line things go wrong. If for this team, anything stand out to you of something you're you're worried about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's upheaval with regards to a slow adjustment for the offense, where if you want to make the parallels to to Matt Lafleur, there was the time Jordan loved to grow and learn and adjust and maybe more patience with regards.
Speaker 4: Even like the first half of the season with Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so like there was are they going to be able to undergo that same adjustment period? But again, the overbearing feeling of constant dread that's not just exclusive to the Philadelphia fans, Like it's in the building. You've got constant leaks about how people feel and like what they're doing. It's just a place where everything could fall apart on really nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're a team where you could see the vibes impacting the overall product, because I think it has in multiple seasons, especially what was it three years ago now, the year between their two Super Bowl appearances, but even last year, like I don't think they were having a great time, but by the end of the year and it impacted them. I think, yeah, things go wrong, Like if the defense isn't dominant, there's every reason to believe that it will. But I just think this team is built to be a top five defense and the offense be good enough. Another thing I could say would be like the new blood that they brought in. I am excited about it. Grenard's got an injury though right now mkaith Lemon hasn't shown a lot just because of injury. Uh as well Rieke Willen I think is going to be an important player for them. So just some of the additions wis you know, how do they all integrate?
Speaker 4: Is going to be important for them.
Speaker 1: The ceiling and floor for this team, I think it's more of a conversation about the floor.
Speaker 4: Do you agree with me that that they can win the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: Like this group of guys does nothing but either like get a coach fire or go to the Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Like it'd be simpy to not say that they could they couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: And to me, if you're power ranking the NFC, I do think just before the season starts, and this isn't a prediction of how it'll finish, but I do think you got to kind of give them the credit. To me as the third team behind Seattle and the Rams, that's just me. If I'm if I'm forced to slot teams in terms of total talent and like average baseline expectations. I kind of slot the Eagles as a solid number three because I think there's more questions everywhere else. Yeah, you know, you get you gotta get team, you gotta get into the Cowboys just now really how it's gonna happen. But I just kind of mean the baseline average season to me there third, I'm more interested, what do you think the floor is for this team?
Speaker 3: I think eight ooh, that would be tough. That would be a nasty season.
Speaker 2: But like.
Speaker 3: Considering the way things looked towards the end there and albeit that was a Jalen Carter with two shoulder injuries, like the offense in disarray.
Speaker 1: That was an eleven win team too, that was beating up on some of the bad teams at the end of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I just mean at the end of the season when things were more rose and they get ran out of their own building by the forty nine ers.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, it's it's crazy, how you know. I mean, they were in that game late, but it's crazy though that that has been Like the way you just described the end of the season describes three of the last five Sirianni seasons like the weight of Philadelphia and how the season ended was so negative by the end of three of the last five, even though you know, like you said, they won the super Bowl and could have won in the other two. Now, I'm going to put their their floor at ten wins. You know, they've been eleven or about four street years. I just think there's too many good players. I kind of think it's like a lot has gone wrong actually for them in some of those bad years and they still manage to win like eleven games. So to me, I'll say ten is the floor, and yeah, the ceiling is.
Speaker 4: The roof is uh there? It is a super Bowl appearance here in Los Angeles that we're covering.
Speaker 3: I'll just have them at that floor because I'm like, if everybody else hits their ceiling, all right, if everybody else in their division hits the ceiling.
Speaker 1: It has potential to be a sneaky good division. Let's talk about the Commanders. To me, they are kind of the X factor. They would bring this division up to a much higher level if they are anywhere close to where they were a couple of years ago. But even if they're just like a playoff contending team. What's bringing you joy about the Commanders.
Speaker 2: Jade's back, he's back, he's healthy.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, the dispute with LSU kind of puts a cloud over the thing, and like like give me my Jersey, give me the trophy back and all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: But the fact that.
Speaker 1: I kind of feel bad for him here, so I've mostly avoided it. But yeah, let's just get out of this storyline if we can. Okay, no, not you, I mean, like everyone involved, Lica Jaden, like, let's just settle this, please.
Speaker 3: Please, because it's weird, it's uncomfortable, it's awkward. But having him on the field like brings back the memories of the Magical Commander's season that it was not so long ago, and we it's a little bit glimpse of that and with the hope and the promise of the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jaden in this offense, just getting to watch him play again, that's it for me. I mean, I didn't want to get too complicated.
Speaker 4: He is such a mystery.
Speaker 1: I don't assume that Jaden Daniels is locked into like one of our top ten quarterbacks, you know, if we're drafting or we're taking for the next seven or eight years. I think there's an outcome where he is absolutely like elite hashtag, you know, like like Joe Flack like, but he's like top five, like we're talking about him. But he's a young he's a young player that's that had such an erratic second season where it was injuries but also didn't look as comfortable and he was in such a goofy offense that ultimately I think was probably bad news for his development. And now it's like a restart. There's a lot of reasons to believe he is going to be a great NFL quarterback for the next decade, but I just want to see it happening because he has such a unique skill set. I love hearing how comfortable his footwork has looked into practices and the joint practices. Over all, the Commanders reporting has been really positive about the under center stuff, and it'll be fun to see that, Well, who is your most important non quarterback on this team.
Speaker 3: So the Tunsil injury means that Brandon Coleman moves from left guard to left tackle. Yeah, which is no Now this centerpiece of the shell game where the line could start to deteriorate if there's no Brandon Coleman, and so like if the whole thing, because they need to be able to run the ball. You're gonna have blow calling the plays and Jayden under center, and they need in order for the roots of the tree. It's the run game here, and so like, if that's going to happen, you have to keep everybody intact. And now Brandon Coleman is the centerpiece of that.
Speaker 1: Not only that, they've been missing their center, Ali Gretti, who they tabb to replace Tyler Biatish last year. There was a lot of like free rushers getting at Jayden Daniels and Marcus Mariota reading between the lines. It felt like the staff was maybe blaming like the center quarterback operation a little bit on that, and so they make a change. But Ali Gretti hasn't really played much center and he's been hurt all of camp. You have like a practice squad guy Julian good Jones behind him. Parts are moving around. And I listened to Logan Paul on this Take Command podcast. He's really good breaking it down. He's very positive in general about the Commanders, but he said just one thing he has been watching is like the running game specifically the interior running game like they are learning this new system, and that's where Bill hasn't had a lot of room necessarily in these joint practices. In practice in general, parts are moving around. Josh Connerley, their first round pick a year ago, really physically talented, but he's a little bit of a boomer Bus guy. Sam Cosmy was an All Pro. He had a serious injuries coming back from Chris Paul is another starter who was out there in free agency for a while and then came back.
Speaker 4: And so you're right.
Speaker 1: I think the offensive line could hold this team back potentially, and I think Coleman might be the most important part. I'm glad he pointed out Tunsel is out for so much of the season. My most important non quarterback first time I picked a GM for this, it's Adam Peters, who like talk about up and down like man. Everything he did like hit his first year, it did not hit last year. And considering HiT's the third year in the program. They are counting on a million signings from this offseason, not only to pan out, but they're just going to be playing like eight hundred to a thousand snaps. So Adam pieriders, I hope you're right about. Here's some of the key guys. This is my way of reviewing the off season because I think it's more important for them than just about any team. Calebon Chason had a nice year as a pass rusher for the Patriots. He's going to be playing starter snap. Nick Cross got a nice contract. He is a safety that I really liked for the Colts, and so will he pan out A Dafeoway a little up and down, I would say in his career. Timed a good half season with the Chargers before getting a big contract here.
Speaker 4: He's going to be important.
Speaker 1: Charles Amanahu, Dran's Armstrong are guys that they sign, maybe more depth pieces, but Armstrong will play. Armstrong is suspended for the first week of the season.
Speaker 4: Important.
Speaker 1: Chigo Konquo, by all accounts, going to be kind of a centerpiece of this offense. I like a lot of these signings. I got to say on paper, they signed a lot of guys. I like Leo Chanell is another one, a linebacker from the Chiefs who kind of has a pass rusher type of role throwing. Stephan Diggs He's going to really matter. I think he upgraded the receiver like I actually like these moves, I don't Usually they don't all work out, but if you hit on two thirds of these, they're going to be a pretty good team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you mind, they've mind the NFL for guys who had flashes with an opportunity to kind of continue that if we you know, extrapolated out with more snaps, like that's the common.
Speaker 2: Thread to all of them. Does it work for all of them?
Speaker 4: Right? Digs? I feel yeah, other than stuff on DIGS, I feel digs.
Speaker 1: I feel safe about Nick Cross is actually the other one where I think he put two or three years of good tape out there. Yeah, like yeah, the others, can you coach him up? And like that's just a lot of new guys. Generally I'm skeptical, but because he chose players I personally enjoy watching play, I'm relatively optimistic here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, guys that if he plays and splashes, then and that's what because Charles Men who was out here for the media summit, as guys you know, practice their skills and holding their skills to eventually have the second career. And that was the thing that he had stressed, was the fact that they're going to attack. It's there's not a lot of read and react stuff going on in the counds and so this is a group of guys that can do that.
Speaker 1: Right, we haven't mentioned and I guess that's giving my scheme dream. Deronte Jones comes from Brian Flores. I don't know if you were going in the same direction there to talk about something schibmatically, he comes from Minnesota, will now be running first time coordinator for the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 3: And and that's it goes along with that theme. My scheme dream was looking over at the the blou version of the offense. But if they can because dan Quinn's teams, like when they have been successful, they've been able to take the ball away, create chaos over on.
Speaker 2: The defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 3: It's like a wholesale change and dq' is still there and so like that has to be a focus.
Speaker 1: To try to know it's crazy. It's like I didn't even mention like there were more I Mek robertson. I think it's going to start for this team. Razull Douglas is on this team. Trey Amos, who had a nice rookie season, has been hurt all camp. That when I'm a little concerned about I love the idea of this scheme and that Flores should and could have a tree.
Speaker 4: It's it's been effective.
Speaker 1: It's it's rolling the dice and Sonny styles Is is right there in the middle of it as a top ten pick that I'm really excited about watching and him and Frankie Lulu, Like, this team is going to get funky. We we are going to debut the teams I'm most excited to see week one in an upcoming show. Another team they're they're they're pretty up there. Yeah, David Blough you mentioned, is their new offensive coordinator, Like, is there anything you're looking for in general?
Speaker 2: Just to find out, just to find out who David Blau is. Who you know?
Speaker 3: It's it's the theme he came in sos We're gonna make the best of the talent that we have and put them in positions to win. Apparently there was a bidding war between Ben Johnson and Dan Campbell that ultimately led to David blow getting promoted to this job at thirty one years old because they wanted to keep him on the staff. We've seen those things go all kinds of different ways. That there's a similar situation in Denver now where you've got a younger former quarterback calling the plays because they didn't want to lose him, and so just get an opportunity to find out who David Blow is and why was it so necessary as a lot of former players have to navigate the coaching ranks for a long time before they even sniff even close to a relatively close to the head job on either side of the ball, and he got there pretty quick.
Speaker 1: I think we got a clue from Quarterback the Netflix show. I thought Jade and Daniels' section of the show is the least revealing of the quarterbacks by far. My biggest takeaway that I didn't know before was how close I think his relationship is with David Blow. Those two are on the same page, and I think they just viewed that tandem as one they wanted to see, you know, continue, and that that he would be a good steward for like making the most important guy in the in the organization work.
Speaker 2: So it's all on Cliff.
Speaker 1: It's just like, I don't know, maybe it was just the edit, but they definitely like it. It definitely seemed like, yeah, Jayden like Bloo is Jayden's guy, and vice versa. That happens with your position, coach' that's how it should be. Things go wrong if blank for this team.
Speaker 3: If they can't run the ball, yeah, if they If they can't run the ball, they can't facilitate the play action game under center. I think with the offensive line injuries, it just all falls apart if they can't facilitate a run game within the first five game.
Speaker 1: Pretty skeptical about this running game. I think Jayden will help open it up in a way, but also him figuring out his balance of when to run when not too We tried to avoid injuries in this segment, but it's less about the injury to me as just him calibrating how aggressive do I need to be as a runner because I'm so good at it. He led the NFL and scrambles per snap last year and he was like, I think second the year before that. So that's what he does and he's great at it.
Speaker 2: Diggs will alleviate some of that, I hope.
Speaker 3: So as long as Diggs and Terry are on the field at the same time, some of that will get alleviate it.
Speaker 4: Diggs, Diggs is a bucket. Diggs is.
Speaker 1: Still so high level and I'm not surprised at all from the commanders reporters there that like the second he was on the field, they were like, oh yeah, it's like one A, one B Like Terry obviously is their number one wide receiver, but he's so much better than every other receiver that they had before that it actually like you're like, oh, this is what it looks like. Really intriguing combo. I mean, imagine McLaurin and Digs together at the peak of their powers. There's some similarities with them as a as a route runner and their versatility. If Blou can cook, you know, Daniels, Digs, McLaurin, and a Konkwa. I'm even gonna throw in there because he's an interesting piece of how you're going to use him. It's quite a like okay, how are we going to move these puzzle pieces around? It's very intriguing group if healthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you know the astrous caveat there, but excited to see, you know, an offense where Chigo Konquo's incredible athleticism and explosiveness with the ball in his hands gets utilized because it kind of we kind of missed.
Speaker 4: We did a lot of that.
Speaker 1: He was like full Chig as a rookie and then he just kind of stayed there, never never really developed in Tennessee. But I want him to run where John new Smith briskly job kind of. I think he can be the next passing the torch, the next John new Smith ceiling floor for this team, I'll let you go first here.
Speaker 3: My ceiling floors have had a lot of but I will have them one game plus uh on the On the Giants, I think they could win eleven games, okay, as the ceiling and also the floor being seven.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a good floor for them. I think it's lower. I'll go six.
Speaker 4: For them.
Speaker 1: It's they're in a tough spot where dan Quinn has been there, and yet this feels like a first year still because of all the new players and the new offense and how.
Speaker 4: Does it all fit.
Speaker 2: The first year went pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good point. I think they'll be good.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe the floor is closer to seven and the ceiling for me is yeah, an eleven win team. I have a hard time seeing them win the division, but if you win eleven games, you certainly could. I think it's a wild guard appearance and coming in second in this division and being a factor again, I am. I am not ruling that out for the Commanders. Now as we've taped, there has been some breaking news inside the division that I think will particularly interest you as a supporter of this player.
Speaker 4: Do you know what it is?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: You know, sometimes you're you're on it.
Speaker 2: We didn't get an email.
Speaker 1: I even hinted about it as we were talking. The Giants are signing free agent Naj Harris to a one year deal.
Speaker 4: It was rumored.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the you know, the the Joe.
Speaker 3: The Joe Shane Uh circumstances where you wonder who the decisions are being or I don't wonder or being made by this is this is Harball all over.
Speaker 1: It, Harbor, It's Harbaugh, and Harbaugh's consiglieris and Uh and Joe Shane's there too. That's that's how I value it is interesting. It happened, you know, right after that tough moment by Tyrone Tracy where Harbaugh, to believe, blame Tracy for Jackson Dark getting lit up. I think Tyrone Tracy is a good player, but someone here between him singletary Naja Harris Skataboo is obviously going to be a big part of the mix. If not the starter for sure, So someone's going to get left out here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a rough rep of RB protection. But a certain part of it is, you know, not putting your quarterback or running back in a situation where that could happen.
Speaker 1: I also think they have to be a little worried about Cam Skataboo.
Speaker 4: Not the biggest running back in the world.
Speaker 1: You don't want him to have three hundred and fifty four hundred touches. I think he's going to be better in a committee. So who is that committee with. I think Tracy is a pretty reliable player. Naja Harris is coming off a torn achilles. It could even be something where he's not available early in the season, but you almost bring him in as a replacement. Juju Smith Schuster was released as part of that transaction. Might be the end of the line for Juju. What a weird career, you know, outsized influence for you know, how how soon it might be ending, you know, but we had we had some good times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some really good times. He made He made tiktoks and people were like.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, this is crazy. This is the weirdest thing anybody's ever done. Is this okay, Mike Tomlin, are you okay with this Chinese social media app? And then you know, uh that that wasn't a big deal. There was the the the perfect incidents, uh, the divergence with Antonio Brown and the and the team and then the chief stint shout out to Juju?
Speaker 1: How about first of all was nine years ten if you count this year. But I kind of doubt he's going to end up being on a week one roster, although it's certainly possible.
Speaker 4: He hasn't.
Speaker 1: He hasn't had much production in the last three seasons. Now, how about that season with the Chiefs as we bid a do to uh Juju Smith Schuster that I don't think people will really remember that much. And yet he ends up with nine hundred regular season yards for the Super Bowl champion Chiefs wild wild career, big input. Let's wrap up giving our division picks. We go one through four. You have to make a decision. What are the final standings. You know you have to include tie breakers if they have the same record, you don't have to give the record.
Speaker 4: But one, two, three, four.
Speaker 3: Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Commanders, New York Giants.
Speaker 4: That was my order.
Speaker 1: Early in the offseason, I don't want to be and this happens to me swayed by Like the closer I get to the season, then I start like rethinking it, and now I'm like, why am I.
Speaker 4: Doubting the Eagles again?
Speaker 1: Like, on balance, they just have so many great players and I actually think Jalen Hurts is a perfectly good starting quarterback with enough people around him, I'm gonna go Eagles in the end. I've always I've been annoyed at myself when I don't just stay high on the Eagles because their their floor has been so high. But I do have the Cowboys as like one of the best wild card teams and making the playoffs.
Speaker 4: I'm boring.
Speaker 1: I got the same exact order because I think the Commanders. I think the Commanders are going to be spicy. Not everyone can be good in this division, though, and so so maybe the Giants are closer to their floor.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, Subterranean.
Speaker 1: You know, you know, we can't get cute with all our our divisions, And like.
Speaker 2: I said, Greg, You're always cute.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I'll take that as a compliment.
Speaker 1: What a week this has been already on the around Oh he did it? I was gonna say, let's edit that out, but you know, it's a natural thing. We're here in a studio that we taped many many episodes of the Around the NFL podcast, which was a lot of fun to do. But now we're NFL Daily and we're coming at you all the time. Do you know who's on our next show, Patrick, I don't think you do.
Speaker 2: I don't, and if you told me then I probably would have forgotten.
Speaker 4: We got a special guest.
Speaker 1: ESPN's own your coworker, Mina Kimes is joining us. Oh cool, So I'm really looking forward to that one that will be next in your feed. That'll be Thursday morning. But always good when Patrick is here. Patrick is going to continue to mean here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not going anywhere, neither are we.
Speaker 1: And yeah, we're really looking forward to the show with Mina preseason week two coming up.
Speaker 4: We'll be back Thursday morning.
Speaker 2: See that