Speaker 1: I'm Andrea Gunning and this is Betrayal Bonus Episode three, Parole. This is a conversation Jen and I recorded on Thursday, July twenty eighth.
Speaker 2: I wanted us.
Speaker 3: Get on a call because, like, as of I think about an hour ago, Spencer was released from prison.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's crazy because there were moments during all of this where he was going to get parole, and then a year ago he got his parole revoked after the victim wrote a letter to the parole board, and then they granted him parole, and he was supposed to get out in June, and then they denied him transitional housing and now all of a sudden, he is out.
Speaker 2: And so how much time did he actually do behind bars.
Speaker 4: He got charged on six counts of sexual assault of a student. He was sentenced for each of those counts to twenty years, but only to serve five of those years in prison, and he was serving all six counts at the same time concurrently. And he got out in four years in one month. It feels like a long time ago that the police came and arrested him from our house and now he's walking out of those prison walls.
Speaker 2: It's almost like a lifetime ago.
Speaker 5: I'm a different person now.
Speaker 4: I've just gone through a lot, and I think I'm stronger for it.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's no question.
Speaker 3: I mean, we've talked a lot about the person you were when that happened in twenty eighteen and the person that you are now, and you're still gen but there's been so much more to your foundation and strength that you've accumulated over.
Speaker 2: The last four years. But when did you find out?
Speaker 5: So it's weird.
Speaker 4: I thought the state was going to give me seventy two hours notice before he got out.
Speaker 5: Instead, Rachel called.
Speaker 4: Me last week and said I got a message that he was getting out.
Speaker 5: So that's how I found out. I think she.
Speaker 4: Knew how important it was to me to know as well. So it's one of those things where whoever had gotten the information first would have called the other. She and I stay in touch, We support each other.
Speaker 2: How was she doing with the news? Was it tough?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think it's tough for her right now.
Speaker 4: She's still feeling nervousness, fear, and you know, just the unknown. You know, when someone who has sexually assaulted you gets out of prison, I can imagine makes it feel more real.
Speaker 5: I saw her for ice cream a few days later. Oh a way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had a really nice time. We made each other laugh, we supported one another. You know, it just helps to know you're not alone out there.
Speaker 3: Do you ever mentally dress rehears running into him and what you would potentially say.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, it's my Charlotte moment from Sex and the City when she runs into mister Big. You know you've been playing that in your head. When I think about seeing him face to face, that's when I get scared.
Speaker 5: And I don't know what I would say anymore.
Speaker 4: Because I am different now, or I see it differently. I may be able to have a conversation with him, but it's going to come from a different place now. I don't know what that is yet, but it'll probably happen one day and I'll figure it out before then. Yeah, you know, what do you say or what do you ask someone that has spent almost his entire life lying and manipulating. Yeah, gosh, whoever picked him up and is allowing him to live in their home. I pray keeps their eyes open for the safety of other people physically and mentally and emotionally. Yeah, there's still going to be people in his life that love him and care for him. I just hope now they're equipped with all the information so that they can hold him accountable for getting help, because this issue that he has is not something that can just go away in six months. This is going to take from what I understand, intensive intensive therapy.
Speaker 5: And work to.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you ever overcome it, just what do you call it? Live a normal life.
Speaker 3: I always go back to November of twenty nineteen, and I think about what that Gen would be like.
Speaker 2: If we hadn't gone.
Speaker 3: Through everything, if you had him put in the work, we hadn't gone through this process.
Speaker 2: That Gen may still be here today, but.
Speaker 3: She is not.
Speaker 2: Nope, And I just know how much people have been impacted.
Speaker 3: I see emails and people who are getting out of relationships or trying to fix their toxic work environment just.
Speaker 2: Because they've heard you and are empowered. You've empowered people, and I'm just so proud of you. You have no idea.
Speaker 5: Oh thank you friend.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to reach out to the Betrayal Team, email us at Betrayal Pod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: That's Betrayal Pod at gmail dot com.