Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory File Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sahadiv Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic Patrick. It is not October, but the Cubs have a plethora of pitching suddenly, and and I think it's worth talking about, like how does this work in the playoffs? And that's kind of going to be the focus of this episode, pitching wise, how do we all how how do we see this working out? They they they have actual depth now. It is not the depth they thought they would have when they broke camp. Uh, it's kind of remarkable that they've built this back up in a way. Uh, you know, we'll we'll, we'll see how long it lasts. But they don't have any as far as we know. Kate Horton's out for the season right Justin Steele isn't going to factor into the rotation discussion, and he's kind of a wild card, long shot, I would say, to help the big league club, this team.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: And beyond that, it's it's new guys and and kind of who you expected and like some people that you didn't expect. I think you know you, I don't know who odd starred in Game one. To be honest, I'm starting to lean Clay Holmes though, with the way he looks and and the game he had like he didn't It's not like he was perfect on Wednesday, but he's he gets so many ground balls. There was was it Friday the game that you covered that he was kind of dominant?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he had a perfect game into the sixth.
Speaker 1: Then in Yeah, he clearly shook off the you know, the so so first start that he had in the Cubs uniform. I think he's looked great and I think he's exactly what they are looking for. He'd be He's the guy right now that I say, yep, he's in the rotation, Matthew Boyd, I think you just go. I feel comfortable saying he's in the rotation. I know he had a stinker on Saturday, and if I'm remembering correctly.
Speaker 3: The Joshua BIA's debut, yeah, yeah, but he'd been so consistent before that and and then after that, you know, kind of let's see what happens.
Speaker 1: But I feel pretty good that Cosman's going to be there. I don't think Osman was terrible on there was that weird it was I forgot about the thumb injury. It was it's not an injury. I don't know what that was, but it like cramp, but it was weird. I don't think it's something that you need to be concerned with long term. But I like how he's looked for the most part. He was a little off on Tuesday, but the splitters nasty and just doesn't get hit very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's something we'll be checking on sort of this weekend in Seattle of Gossman's weird left hand cramp his non throwing hand. Obviously, if that cramping happens in his right hand, it's like the alarm bells are going off big time. But both he and Council seemed, you know, relatively unconcerned about it, and not just in the normal Cubs always downplay injuries type of thing, but just like most teams do. But yeah, i'd with you. Holmes just seems to be one of those pictures who's kind of on the ascent and after you know, having that you know, kind of freak injury silent him for so long. Like I think you'll see him continue to develop that rhythm and pittruly well given the team he's surrounded with. Now, yeah, boy's just been nails, and you know you trusted him to start last year's first game. I think there's no reason to Maybe he starts game two this time instead, but you know, no reason to not, you know, use him as for all of this. We're using air quote starters right of, like maybe they'll throw three and two thirds to four and one third innings and you know, sort of do their job, but you're gonna need length at some point. And the way it plays now, if the Cubs want to win a World Series, they're probably gonna have to win four playoff rounds and that's where Shoda is going to really come into play. That you know, we didn't even get really get to this because so much other stuff happened. But you know, I think Council described show does outing against the White Sox as you know, one of, if not the best outings he's seen from him. Like that's how dialed in he was, and that's what showed has been for most of this year. I think until he goes out and performs well in a playoff game, I think people are still going to understandably reference how last season ended in Milwaukee. But I also think, like if show DOA's You're four starter, play like, that's really good, and you know, I wouldn't be surprised if Shoda was just awesome in the playoffs. I think his he has been so good over the course of his time in Chicago, but I think the home runs and like I said, that sort of blip in Milwaukee I think have taken on an outside sort of spot and how we remember his performance. I think it's a little unfair at times, like when he gives up the home run, people, oh, I see you see, Like, no, he's been It's been really good. He's one of the better pitchers in the Major since he's come over here. And so I think that'd be a fun part of these last several weeks here of annoying council with questions about play off rotations and things like that, and seeing the eye rolls and side eyes will get It'll be it'll be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you can be super aggressive with Shoda if you Yeah, if you feel like it, you know, two and a half times through is too much, or if you don't want him seeing a lineup a third time, you can be you can be aggressive with any of these guys. I think that's the value of having Javier Asad. He is not like I. I just think Javier Asad is. I. I tend to undervalue him because he doesn't strike guys out. When you don't strike guys out, I get a little concerned. Uh, he's done it long enough now though, where I just kind of have to say, like, he's a really good picture that this is who Javier Asad is. He's gonna have a stinker of an outing, but the next ten are going to be great. Uh. And then and I don't know how he does it with so few strikeouts and not like a huge ground ball rate, but he does. He misses barrels enough, he gets out of bad situations really well. And what I love about him is I've not even seen a hint of complaining about his role. He gets jerked around four years. This isn't one season that it has been his entire career in a Cubs uniform where he's a starter, he's a reliever, he gets sent down to the miners, and he does it all with a smile on his face, never complains, and goes out there and performs really important piece to this team. I'm curious to see what they do when you get to Seattle and what they decide to do for Palencia's activation. But I think you need to, like, you know, Javier Sad is an important piece.
Speaker 2: To this team.
Speaker 1: One guy that's I don't think we need to even talk about as far as starting is Edward Cabrera. Council made it pretty clear like what his future role is for twenty twenty six for this team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very much TBD with Edward Cabrera. Will see how this blister issue resolves itself. Part of that Council said would be using him in shorter bursts. I'm still not sold on the idea of him being trusted in those high leveraged situations out of the bullpen. And if you're not, then is there a spot for you on a playoff roster considering how short some of these stints will be for the starting pitchers and how many guys you're gonna have to use, and how when it's all hands on deck like that, if you're not sure about Cabrera, to me, that's kind of an easy omission from your playoff roster. But if he gets healthy, if he gets in a groove. I mean, stranger things have happened. I mean, he's really he is talented. He was a really good pitcher for long stretches for the Marlins. I just the way this season has gone, like crossing your fingers that he's going to figure it out at the most important time of the year. I tend to doubt that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got He'll have a month or so to figure it out and show that he can handle this new role that they're going to lead him into. He's got to show it. There's you know, he's got to prove it over the month and if he does, good for him. If he doesn't, this is what we're talking about. The Cubs have options. Let's take quick break. There's one starter that we didn't even mention that has been just a huge piece of the puzzle to get them to this point.
Speaker 4: See Gek is the official ticket marketplace for Major League Baseball, and anytime you want to go to a game, you should go to Sea Geek. I used to call the director of team travel, I used to call the traveling secretary whatever they want to be called KP to try to get a seat. But on SEAK, I can pick my own seat and I can pick where I want to sit instead of being told where to sit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great option. And summer is coming to an end here soon.
Speaker 5: I'm going out and finding all the day games possible, all the warm weather cities so I could stay in this tank top. I can watch very competitive baseball as the calendar turns into fall. I want to make sure that I get the most out of this tank top and warm weather and Sea Geek is where I would go and get my seats.
Speaker 4: You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at SEK. That's ten percent off MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: All right, Patrick, David Peterson has been I can't believe I'm saying this about someone with a five twenty nine era. Did he give up it? Ten runs against the Cardinals? Was at twelve? Like it was a lot?
Speaker 2: It was just like ten runs on July third, Right, it's seventeen to one loss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, just a disastrous outing. He has been really good and really consistent, and honestly, I trust him as much as anyone right now in this rotation when he's out there, just because he he looks very calm and collected out there and he's got this elite defense behind him. Before we go any further, let's make this our Fox one segment. So David Peterson will be on the mound Saturday. That's not what I want to show. Sorry about that. He'll be on the mound Saturday, and on Fox it's a national game against the Mariners in Seattle. I believe it's six fifteen Central time, four fifteen local time as far as specific right in Seattle, So Cubs fans can check that out. On Fox one, Peterson will be on the mound. Look, this is not a good offense that he's going to be facing. It's they like, like, we don't need to go too far into this. But one of the weirdest about like post MVP seasons I've ever seen with cal Raley, did he win MVP? He won MVP, right, or did Judge win MVP? This is my brain is I don't watch enough at al baseball either way, One of the weirdest like he had a historic season. If not an MVP season, was it MVP? He finished second judge one, Okay, I had to double check that weird season out in Seattle. I thought they were gonna have a great year. They have not struggled. This offense has like one or two bats that are fearsome, and if even fearsome is the right word. So David Peterson can go out on the mountain and feel confident. But I think he can go out on the mountain feel confident because of who's behind him now as well. And he's just he's looked great. It's kind of like Clay Holmes, but a little bit different. I think they were a lot more confident in what they were getting in Clay Homes.
Speaker 2: And you know, I.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't pick David Peterson to make a playoff start. I think I don't think he'd be an awful option, but I don't. I think they're so deep now that they don't have to rely on him. And I kind of liked that he came out of the bullpen. It was a blowout, right, It wasn't a close game when he came out of the bullpen, but he came out of the bullpen. The other day wasn't or my misremembering my days, whatever day it may have been Sunday. Was it Sunday or was it Monday? Who?
Speaker 2: No, this is the tenanding went over the White Sox. Okay, so it was four out, four outs over the eighth and ninth innings. I guess what you're thinking is, I believe the Cubs were trailing at that point, So it was more kind of it wasn't like he was coming in to close out the game. It was more of like just keeping it close, to put things in position for Pete to have that U toe walk off. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I mean that's still big innings and he and he kept it where it was. He's able to handle that moment, he's able to come out of the bullpen. Just another aspect of like, hey, I think council kind of said this. I can't remember even what my question was. Oh, I was just talking about Asad and like how valuable did.
Speaker 2: You ask him won the al MVP last Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I asked him. I basically was talking about Asad and how valuable he's been and how willing he oh yeah, yeah world, And he and council said like this is this is how it works now like there's no cookie cutter plan there. You can't do that anymore. You have to be willing to adjust. You have to be able to use these guys in any situation. That's what good teams do. Uh, Peterson looks like he's willing to fill that role. I give him a lot of credit. Uh, you know, he's not complaining about I don't think he was thrilled to go to the bullpen in New York. But he seems to you know, winning, you know, tears all for these guys. And and he's on a really deep, talented team. He'll go, he'll do whatever, fill whatever role is needed. Uh, he's back in the rotation. He'll be pitching in Seattle. And and I just think it, you know this is this is a credit to the Cubs for understanding, like how how they could you know this? Don't look at the e R. This guy's going to be good with us type thing. And and you know, credit to him for not like, you know, mentally crumbling because of.
Speaker 2: That e R. Yeah, I think. I mean Peterson, I believe, made six starts before the trade deadline for the Cubs. And you know this obviously is in a Mariner's podcast. But it was a really exciting team that has some you know, awesome individual talent and you know, really kind of rich pitching, you know history, and it hasn't clicked. And I just think by comparison, you look at the Cubs like they've they've built a really coherent, complete, dynamic, well rounded roster, and they've been able to figure things out even though definitely not a cookie cutter season. Things have not gone according to plan, and it there's still going to be in a really strong position no matter what happens this weekend in Seattle.
Speaker 1: I think that goes to show. Like you mentioned the Mariners being disappoint like where David Peterson came from, they were disappointing, and I think you have to give the Cubs credit for I think we complain about it, and fans rightly complain about it, like sometimes these rebuils feel too slow, try and speed it up. The Cubs were methodical in their process because they identified what they wanted. They wanted defense, complete players, all around players. They've filled their team with those types. They didn't spend big on bat missing pitchers because it costs a lot of money. They wanted Dylan cees. They weren't going to pay two hundred and fifteen or whatever it ended up being. You can criticize them for that, and we have, but because they were methodical with how they built things and sought out really good defenders and didn't settle for like, well, we have to spend money, let's get this guy. I know he doesn't fit our system, and I think the Mets kind of did that. I think the Mets just were like, we have to get better play. He doesn't fit what we're doing, but we're gonna spend on these guys. Uh. Cubs did not do that. It can be frustrating at times, but it worked like what they were looking for. It was the right call to build this defense, especially because now someone like David Peterson doesn't work in New York. Like a few bad games, that crushes your confidence. You have to change the way you're pitching, and that doesn't work for you. Clay Holmes is better with the Cubs, David Peterson's better with the Cubs. A lot of pitchers are better with the Cubs because of the way this team is built. Give them a ton of credit for that. Like, I just cannot emphasize that enough. All right, Fox one MLB on Fox is streaming on Fox one. The Race to October starts now, and we have your front row seat to the wildest walk offs, lights out pitching, and clutch plays all season long. Follow every can't miss matchup as teams battle for a spot in the postseason. Then stream the twenty twenty six World Series live on Fox One at home or on the go live or on demand. Never missed a moment stream now, Oh right, Patrick, Let's talk a little bit about playoff bullpen. I think this is interesting. I don't know what this is going to look like. To be honest, Ryan Zephyr John doesn't look like he's fully locked it in. I'm not gonna say he's bad or anything like that. He's been hit hard at times. He doesn't look as dominant as I think the Cubs were hoping. That can change quickly. You know, his slider is nasty. You watch that like, it's very clear what they saw and what they like. Daniel Plincia, we just don't know yet. He'll get in the game probably this weekend. We'll see how that looks. He's got a month and a half to figure things out. Those are your stuff, guys, right, those are the two guys that you look at and say, there's this stuff, they're nasty. Can they lock it in before October? The guy that I like, I still can't believe it's been this good Jacob Webb, like and I think I think you've said it, but like we just like Jed Hoyer gets to like kind of you know, do that I told you so when when we talk about building a bullpen. Because it's not about spending money and it's not just the Cubs, go look at every big money free agent this this uh, this year, this past winter. As far as relievers go, I'm not sure if there was, If there's a success story, either they're hurt, they're bad, or both. There just hasn't been someone that got like over ten million per that has been worth it. I'm probably I'm sure there's one or two, but like out of like fifteen guys like that, it's just not a good hit rate. And Jacob Webb was a one and a half million dollar one year deal, like and they hit like a huge hit and he's where would they be without Jacob Webb? Is nasty change up that he was just spamming White Sox hitters with I think the other day, just like kept throwing the change up and I'm like, is he gonna throw anything else? I guess he doesn't need to because he'll just get through this inning without any other pitch. I think he threw a couple of fastballs in there, but that was it was another impressive outing and he just continues to dominate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just like, I remember Robert Suarez was good for the braise, but he's on the injured list. All yeah, that was kind of I mean, Edwin Diaz, Devin Williams. I asked, Luke Weaver's done good job, but Bred Brad Keller, these names we all know because the Cubs are kind of on all of these guys, And I'm with you. I think, you know, I think Polentsia will figure it out. Like his stuff is just so good as long as he's like if he's on the bubble, he's in. To me, that's how good his stuff is and how good he was last October. Obviously, webs as well. I'm optimistic about Ben Brown. I think that the nature of the neck injury, I think, and the fact that he's done so many different roles within this particular season, I think he's on it. I think we include from kind of the other end, a sad and David Peterson as kind of your multi ending guys. And that was part of the logic of going so big at the deadline in terms of adding starters. They liked that effect of bumping guys into kind of the middle innings or multi inning roles. Really curious about Shelby Miller's a while card, and we've talked about him before, but when he's right, he's really really good. And if he's able to show that his arm is resilient enough to work back to back and kind of carry that load, I think he's gonna make a really compelling case. Because, as you know, this is why they always talk about the bullpen guys of like can you capture lightning in a bottle? And like we'll see how you know, the Ryan Rollinson's and Trent Thornton sort of Hoby Milner once he gets back, Like like, who are these guys gonna be by the time you're setting this playoff roster? Like bullpens are ever evolving, and so I think there are there's definitely gonna be spots up for grabs like they are in compete mode right now. It's nice to have this many internal options. I'm probably forgetting someone. I guess we're soon, you know. It's also it's also interesting too of like different sort of formats. You know, you go from like three to five to so yeah, idea. You know, it's totally different than Ryan Rolinson.
Speaker 1: Did you mention him?
Speaker 2: Sort of like they've been really really good, real surprises, just don't know where they're going to be by that point of.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, he's kind of trending. I don't want to say way down, but he's trending a little bit down. Ralinson isn't as crisp as he was early in the season. He's got a month and a half to like bounce right back. Relievers aren't perfect. They're not going to be steady all season long. I mean they're like, it's not like he's been a disaster or anything out there. I think Caleb Thielbar is kind of a wild card. I know he's probably frustrated fans a ton. If he can get on a run here and build some confidence, I think just a little bit of confidence for him would help weird season for him. Where the strikeouts are there, the walks aren't awful. They're a little up from where they were last year, but the strikeouts are there. The hard contact is way too high. We know there's been home run issues, but I just I just think I don't want to give up on Caleb Thielbar. I think he could still figure it out and have a nice run here and then become a consequential lefty out of that bullpen. We'll see if that happens. I can't guarantee anything, and I agree with you, Shelby Miller's a huge wildcard to me, I just think you're the experience there, the talent level. It is all about availability. I think we was that last episode we mentioned that it's all about availability. Can he go back to back? You won't really have to do that in the playoffs outside of that first round. Maybe he doesn't make the playoff roster for the first round, and then it's like he makes more sense for the second round, and then Ben Brown's probably just I have a feeling he is going to be like we're going to be talking about him in the postseason, like what would they have done without Ben Brown? He saved that game, he saved that series. He was used like and it feels like he has a change like he had. He was so good in so many in two different roles, starter reliever, multi inning reliever. He was awesome in both those roles. Like he's I believe he's still the Cubs leader in war and that's insane, but also that's how good he was. If he comes back healthy, has a little bit of a runway, we expect him to all those things to happen. I think he's going to be I agree with you you were saying you think he's going to be good. I think he's gonna be good. I think he's going to be dominant, and I think there's a chance like he's a difference maker for this team come October.
Speaker 2: Colin Ray, I think, is another name we have mentioned yet, but you know, he was a valuable pitcher in last year's playoffs, and I think if you're not asking him to give you like six seven innings every fifth or sixth day, I think they are probably to use a council term like those pockets where he can be an out getter for them. We mentioned this last episode, Hunter Harvey is at a place where not really expecting him to come back, and you know, we'll keep monitoring Justin Steele. I think you make a good point about the as this goes deeper, if they keep advancing, it is such a you know, battle of attrition the way these playoffs are set up, particularly if you're coming in at as a wild card team. Justin Steele would be a wild card. But I think it's it's not irresponsible for us talk about it, but like we have to be realistic of like, you know what he can bring and you know what he can do. Uh, but it would be a fun conversation like if he you know, if he did, you know, put himself in that discussion, and I guess I wouldn't rule that completely out. But obviously he still has several steps to go, and you know, all of this, you know, all these different factors will make uh, the second half of September particularly fun. You know, if if the Brewers kind of just maintain this lead and the Cubs just sort of maintain their pace as the leading wild card contender, you know, things might get wrapped up the way it was last September. I mean that was a relatively early clinch and there was this kind of you know, bridge period to get into the playoffs. But there are so many moving parts here with the Hubs that I think that'll be another just kind of fun aspect down the stretch of you know, us getting the like I said, uh, pester council with these type of questions. Then also you know the second guessing and everyone loves the roster projections, like there's there'll be a lot going into this. You know, have a pretty stable position player group and a pitching staff that has been very volatile basically since April.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't want to get too ahead of myself here, but thinking about where they were going into the playoffs last year and we're like, okay, you just didn't feel comfortable after Matthew Boyd. Yeah really, I mean you got to give Jameson Tyn credit like he did. He came up huge in the playoffs, but I mean showeda just was not in a good place at that point. Kate Horton was out like suddenly and like very surprisingly, and it's like it was like they had one and a half starters and now we're talking about, well, it sucks that you can't start David Peterson, but he probably doesn't as it has been great. But and like we haven't even mentioned Edward Cabrera as a you know, a factor here because we just don't know what he is anymore as far as what rolely has and if he can thrive in that role. So it's a very different situation. And if injuries do come back to bite them, there's there are now at least a couple more options than you felt. Like you feel a little bit better about it. Uh So we'll see where it goes. But they're in a healthy place right now, and it feels like it's trending in the right direction. And like you said, we're gonna annoy counsel about this, but you know, it's better than annoying about like what are you going to do? Everybody just got hurt like we were when they were in New York.
Speaker 2: And you know, you know they're they're thinking the same things, like they're like they're always talking about this stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, all right, Thanks so much for let's everyone. That's it for Northside Territory this week. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and Iron top of all Things Cubs. Thanks for listening to watching everyone. Take care