Speaker 1: Here he is Brandon. Oh, he's on his phone. Sorry, he's you know what he's doing right now, Kratzy Brandon.
Speaker 2: Hide screen ager.
Speaker 1: Besides being a screenager, he's trying to figure out his title because they had an argument in our pre production show today.
Speaker 3: What is your exact title with the Rays?
Speaker 1: Your player personnel development, mental coach of Bunting?
Speaker 3: What is your can you please?
Speaker 4: Well? Yeah, I'm still trying to figure it out myself. No. The bistal title is Senior Advisor Baseball Operations, which is just a title. It's pretty much just being a resource for the major league club and the minor league managers, being around the big league club quite a bit, trying to help out as much as I can with cash in the front office there, and then just being a resource for the minor league managers in the minor league staff. So I really enjoyed doing a little bit of everything. They've included me and everything, and I've enjoyed, really enjoyed being this organization.
Speaker 1: All right, Because I just want to know, have you ever seen office? I think it's office space? What exactly do you do around here?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Like? That's kind of one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what is what is it exactly you do around here? Is that what they come in? Is that?
Speaker 4: What? Uh? Yeah, No, you know, I'm at the club quite a bit. And at the club that definitely when they're home with the coaches in the coaches room, I watched their game from from the suite with the with the front office people or sometimes with with with our analysts, which is a lot of fun. But then also when they go on the road if I don't travel, I'm I see affiliates and I'm kind of evaluate our organization, coaches and players, the trade deadlines coming up hopefully you know, would be involved in that a little bit. So they've included me and everything. So I I don't have anything specific, but I'm just really happy to be here being with the Raised organization.
Speaker 2: I know one thing that they do is they do value input from everybody. You were across the dugout from the Rays for a long time. Do you feel like their ability to value input would have been something that you could have used when you were the manager of the Orioles or in any other organization that you were in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean every organization is different. I mean Eric and Anderson just an incredible person. He is surrounded by unbelievable people also, So that's the first thing you notice. The first thing you notice here is the people that they've brought in, the people in the organization, how they communicate, how they go about making decisions. You know, Eric's so transparent and he asked a ton of questions and everybody else is very very curious on how we get better and everybody gets along so well, that's the first thing you notice is that everybody enjoys being working together and is really with the people, and it starts with Eric and that's that's a huge you know, that's a that's a huge thing for me is uh is the culture that they build and then cashed them with his with his coaching staff. You know, it's guys that have been together for a while, and it's guys that get along really well. And uh, you know, it's a it's a great blend between the major league coaching staff, the front office and then the player development Staff's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Brandon, do you have a company phone or do you have a personal cell phone?
Speaker 4: They use, Uh, it's a personal cell phone.
Speaker 1: Because I didn't know maybe if the rays have ever come to you and said you know you used to work for the Orioles. Are you giving them information under the table and they're paying you want to you know what I'm saying, Like because you're kind of were in the same division. He tried to beat them there for a while, and now you're trying to learn from Everyone wants to be like the race. So I didn't know if if the Orioles maybe had sent you in as a mole and then you're sending secret information back to.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, I'm I'm I'm pro raised right now.
Speaker 3: You're doing it. You're doing it the rainway. Now.
Speaker 4: I'm more light blue right now, you can meet I'm not worn blacking home right now. I'm more light blue ever since May eighteenth of last year, seventeenth, whatever day that was. I'm I'm I'm pro ray right now.
Speaker 1: Plus, here's the biggest thing that people don't know. You live in the Saint Pete Clearwater area, so you're home, dude. This is like, this is like you don't have to go on the road. You can just go to the home games. You can post up in the sweet life like we showed.
Speaker 3: And then you get to go home and watch your kids. It's like the perfect thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got to watch my kids play a little bit this year. Like you said, I'm not that far from the trop springing. The spring training site's just kind of the other direction, not that far away. So it's worked out great. Yeah, Cashi, you know, called me at the end of the year last year and we talked and some other people on their front office. John Daniels is over here. He's an incredible, credible person and learning a lot from him. So I'm just so happy to be here. I think that I'm learning every single day. I hope that I can contribute and you know, it's been a really fun experience so far.
Speaker 2: All Right, the field or the front office, you only have you have less than a year under your belt here, field or front office.
Speaker 4: Well, I was a farm director one year, long time ago for Theois Group in two thousand. That was a rebuild too, two thousand and thirteen to over thirteen. So yeah, I mean, the dugouts. It's hard to beat the adrenaline and the dugout. And I've been fortunate to be you know, I've managed for a while, I've been on major league coaching staffs now for for quite a while. The adrenaline of the big leagues, the adrenaline of trying to win every single night, the chaos of it, that's hard to replicate. So you know, I'm whatever the job is in front of me, I'm gonna do the best I can. But but ultimately I've always been on the field, guy hider.
Speaker 1: Everyone Matina told us that the ninth inning is like an addiction. So you've lived that life, You've you've lived ups and downs of the night thing. That's kind of what you're hitting at, right, the the addiction of man, how am I going to figure out how to get a pitching staff through when we're a guy or too short, right? Or how am I going to get this guy through five innings? So we save our bullpend for not today but tomorrow. Right, So that that's kind of what the what you're trying you're saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just you know, you play in front of pack, you know, packed houses with with a lot on the line on a nightly basis. It's pretty addicting. And you know there's uh, even when I was you know, most of the Cubs as the first base coach and bench coach there, you know, not a better place to beat a lot of times than Wrigley Field on a Friday afternoon against the Cardinals or whoever it is. And then you get into the postseason and you're you can't even feel your feet because it's just your You're nervous, and you're anxious, and you're and you're excited. The same thing as a managers, just with a lot less, a lot more pressure, a lot more things going on around you. To make decisions in real time, with decisions that matter. That's you know, I really enjoyed that a lot. And I enjoyed the collaboration part with the front office, with the coaching staff on try on how we're gonna how we're gonna beat the Yankees tonight with a seventy million dollars payroll. That was that that drove me. And so we did a pretty good job of that after the first few years. But for a few years we did a good job of that twenty two to twenty four. But you know, those type of those type of moments you've never forget. You You always remember the tough ones, honestly, But yeah, that feeling is that feelings addictive.
Speaker 2: When my puppy Bella has something wrong, I'm not going to go around googling what to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Kratz, let's have a better plan. Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. It offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks, because let's be honest, that bills can add up fast. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. Again, that's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independent American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurance and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, we don't talk about the cubs on this show. Okay, they're not even a team except for when they're doing crappy, which you are now, so we'll talk about the Cubs.
Speaker 3: Here's my thing. You're a former manager. Now you're in front off as you were a coach before.
Speaker 1: If and when, which I think you should get another big league manager's job. What have you learned in this year off that you would take to your next job, especially from the Rays, who everyone says has the best organization in baseball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I've had a year to reflect on kind of the six plus years of being in Baltimore really special time in my life. Got to experience a lot of things. And when you're when you're especially a first year manager or first time manager, you're going to go through experiences that that you nothing's preparing you for that. I mean, I was the bench coach for four different managers, but until you're in the seat, nothing is actually preparing you for real time decisions, especially in the Al East, or dealing with media or the front office communication. All those type of things are things that you you're going through for the first time. And so you know, for those six plus years, I'm proud of, proud of what we built there. I'm proud of how we handled everything. You know, there was a lot of good times. There was a few really really tough years. The last year I was there was a really really tough year also, so you're dealing with I was dealing with a rebuild too, then kind of coming out of nowhere and exceeding expectations for a few years to all of a sudden there is expectations and how you handle that, all those types of things you're going through for the first time, and I want to believe that through the if there was a second or third time, you know, I would have I would be able to lean back on on the experiences that I had. Being with this organization, I'm seeing how they run things a little bit differently, being around different people I've kind of thrown myself into. I watched a lot of gigs, like I said, with with an analyst and to kind of get his his thoughts on on on the decision making. I talked to Cashi quite a bit. I talked to I'm in the coach's room every single day and get you know, just discussing discussing game game situations, how to deal with players, how to how to make players better, and so I think that all my experiences are gonna are gonna benefit me if there is the next time around.
Speaker 2: All Right, you said you've you said it twice now that you watch the games with the analysts and you kind of smile both times. How many times have you disagreed? Because I say that because I know the Rays want disagreements because they feel like I forget exactly what Neander told me, like out of disagreements comes the right answer, because there's two sides to the disagreement. When you watch these games, how often do you disagree?
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna give Hi a shout out. His name is Kyle Young, and he's uh so it's not money, it's not money. He's not with his room together at times, so I watch. I'll watch with the suite with Eric and Kevin ibaking those guys up there. But but sometimes I'll watch from from the coach's room with Kyle, and it's just interesting to get his perspective on real time decisions and if there's a decision to be made, Like he'll ask me a lot of times about bullpen usage, pinch hitting for a guy in the sixth having to come back back around all those type of things, uh, and filled in and fill back, attentional walk, all the you know, math decisions at times that you make and to get his his perspective from the computer. But also I'll tell him a lot of times I'll ask him questions and I'll say, hey, you're too late. You have five seconds you had you had three seconds to figure that out, and you didn't touch it in fast enough. So the speed of the game is obviously different. But yeah, just getting different perspectives I think is really really important and understand and for me looking at the game from a little different lens. Uh, it's going to be helpful.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So I got to ask, then, do you get to ask the pictures? Are you okay today? Are you good today? Because then when you're sitting in that room with what is Kyle? You said his name was Kyle, Kyle. When you're sitting there with Kyle, does Kyle know that so and so had a stomach bug, or so and so or so and so's wife is mad at him, or so and so's child was sick and they were up all that, right, So does Kyle have that information?
Speaker 3: So when he says, hey, you should have brought in X, Y or Z.
Speaker 1: You're like, man, you don't know that he threw up all night because his kid was sick with him last night, Right?
Speaker 3: Those things are those things discussed?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well we just we play around during the game with those type of things. But absolutely yeah. I mean when I was managing, we would have a meeting every single day, me and are my pitching coach and bench coach and pitching about not just about if the guy's available, that maybe somebody's got something different going on that he is unavailable, or maybe the guy threw thirty four pitches last night, but somehow he feels great today. All those type of things are with the medical staff, et cetera. Are discussed on a daily basis, and the same thing in Tampa.
Speaker 2: All right, so let's talk about this team. Is this team the way that they're scoring the Rays team are the way that they're able to win ball game? Is it sustainable? When when Chandler Simpson was hitting four hundred, people thought he was going to win a batting title. Now I think he's hit two sixty with no pop for the last month. Like, is there is this sustainable? Or because the game's played in a different way, like not home runs and strikeouts, Like we're gonna see different types of ups and downs of a season.
Speaker 4: Well, I love you know, when they were playing well early, I mean the style of play was so fun to watch. You know, you got three guys in the middle of the order that are all stars and Chandler. I know he stre Chandler's been struggling lady lately, but he's gonna come around and he's a game changer because it's because of the speed and the on base ability and the way that they can move the baseball, the way that they can run the bases. Obviously the safety and the bunt game is a big part of their game because they are they do manufacture, so it's fun to watch. It's like eighty when I called it like a month ago. It's like eighties National League Baseball, where they're not just for the three run homer, but they aren't having to generate some offense and trying to pass the baton and trying to get into the big boys in the middle. So that was that was fun. I think it. I think they're your whether you're a home run hitting team or a team that needs to manufacture, as you guys know, for a six month season, you're going to go through peaks and valleys. You're going to go through times where you might have a tough couple of weeks, and that's just that's just part of that's just part of Major League Baseball, right, you know, right now they're they're they're not at their best, but I think that they're gonna They're gonna come out of it. It's still a really good club. They can really pitch. They have really good starting pitching, and that's going to keep you in games. And when you have when you have all star type players in the middle, and you have guys that can generate some offense around you, and they play really good defense on most nights. Defense is important and be able to catch the ball. Uh. I think that I think that they can get back to what they were doing the first couple of months.
Speaker 1: Is this is this sustainable hyder though, because fifty eight homers isn't a lot, right and and I get that you know National League style well, but so many teams low average high homers homers play in the postseason. As we know, the Brewers have kind of done this style for the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: They get to the postseason. They can't really make get it to the finish line?
Speaker 5: Is this style?
Speaker 3: Does this style work? And can you win a World Series with it?
Speaker 4: Well, I think they're always gonna be looking to add right, So there's gonna be you know, I think with the deadline coming up, you know, it's gonna be interesting to see you know what Eric and the group do and what and what we do about it. You know, you're always they put themselves in position two to make a run and then to add up the deadline. So that's gonna that's gonna be exciting. They have, you know, it's a good farm system, there's good players, So we'll see what happens. I can't tell you for sure if it's gonna be this is gonna be the lineup that's gonna be in September and and and end of the postseason. I do know that they catch the ball, and I do know that they have really good starting pitching. And the three guys in the middle of the order are super underrated. For me, Cammy Aronda and Yonni Diez are three of the most underrated players in the game. They are all star type hitters. So if you can surround those guys with maybe a little bit more punch. I think that it's a pretty pretty scary offense.
Speaker 5: You know why you are enjoying this minute because we're happy, Krats. We're happy because we're wearing mac Weldon.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm six foot five and nobody can give me tall clothing, but mack Weldon allows me to have it, so I don't really have to care about how I look, and I still look good. Because I don't put a lot of time into what I do to pick out my clothes. Mac Weldon takes care of it for me.
Speaker 5: Classic always in style made from the world's most comfortable performance materials. Summer, get sweaty, don't let unnecessary sweat spots emerge. Mac Weldon's air Knit X fabric helps you out. Their lightest fabric is fused with nylon mesh for maximum airflow. Skip the midday wardrobe changes that barely Their feel also keeps you feeling more dry and jahn sweat the heat. This summer feel as effortlessly.
Speaker 4: Cool as you look.
Speaker 5: With Mackweldon, go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred twenty five bucks or more With promo code foul. That's m A C k W E L d O N dot com code f ou l.
Speaker 4: Hier.
Speaker 2: Would you say that Brian Baker is their closer with eighteen saves right now?
Speaker 4: Big? Yeah? Yeah, I had him on. I had him for three or four years in Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you saw him in Baltimore and you didn't make him the closer, so you must have been a terrible manager. But you also had the mountain you had Cano. I want to know, does Kyle, your analytic friend, think Brian Baker is the closer or he is just a guy that gets three outs?
Speaker 4: That's a good question. Stratsy uh. Cashi's used him in the big part of the oder in the eighth also quite a few times, so yes, if flat coming up in the eighth and that's and that it's that pocket I've seen cash you use use bacon and uh and in that fashion also so probably the eighth inning, big spot, ninth inning, that's that's how Bake's being used. Is that just.
Speaker 3: But is that discussed before the game?
Speaker 1: Is that discussed before the game or does that just happen because you said you got three seconds right?
Speaker 3: Five seconds?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, I think you're discussing it through. I think you're discussing before the game end, during the game. So you're seeing how the you're seeing how the game is played out. You're seeing what the score. You're seeing how you are, whether your starter went four, whether your started went six and two thirds, you're seeing, you're seeing what you have available. You're seeing now you're seeing kind of how the game is being played the last for the last nine outs of the game, and where am I putting my best guy against the against the toughest part of their order or the matchups that are that are the best And right now, Bake has showed that he's that he's gotten some really really big outs for this team, not just in that night inning, but in the eighth inning also, And there's a lot of trust. So those kind of those kind of things were talked about all day.
Speaker 1: Long, Brandon, when you when you were managing, and still to this day, when you talk to Kevin Cash, do you start at the ninth inning and work your way back as far as how you're gonna build each game?
Speaker 3: Right? Right?
Speaker 1: Do you say, Okay, if everything goes perfect, we have Bacon the ninth and then we have whoever in the eighth and whoever in the seventh. Hopefully our starter gives us six and then we can figure it out. Or do you start at the starter and you look at it and say, well, if everything goes wrong and you need to have ABC ready, do.
Speaker 3: You understand what I'm saying, Like, is the game built?
Speaker 1: Because everything is I don't want to say scripted, because it's not scripted, but it's discussed, right, It's it's planned out for you try to cover everything that could happen. So would you start the ninth inning and go back or from the first thing and go forward.
Speaker 4: I so I'm gonna talking about myself. The way I did it in the way I did in Baltimore was I had a meeting six o'clock UH with my game plan guy, pitching coach, bench coach, and we did talk about our bullpen availability that night, and we did bring up different scenarios and I wanted to get opinions on if I had two lefties in the pen, If I have CNL Perez and Keegan Akan and the pen or Danny Kulom who get both sides out? What pocket do you do? We feel like if it's a diverse res ninder, a gray U pocket, do we like kulom or Perez in a big spot, et cetera. So I wanted those type of opinions, so we did go over best case scenario. We would go over worst case scenario. With Batista. I had that kind of luxury where I just wanted to get three outs, try to get it to him somehow. And in those years of twenty three twenty four, I had Canoe and Perez a lot of nights. With Canoe is a heavy split, so I wanted him on a right handed pocket. I wanted CNL on a left handed pocket. I had Coulomb and Jacob Webb that were kind of got both sides out, so we kind of would map that out. Also, who's my long guy tonight? If things do not go right and the starter goes three and two thirds, who can I cover with some innings? All those type of things are discussed for about fifteen minutes. That's how I did it, at least about fifteen minutes prior to the game.
Speaker 2: Who are we missing with the race? Who are we as non Rays fans just baseball fans needing to tune into? Besides the power three that you said, in the middle of.
Speaker 4: That order, there's some good baseball players. Taylor Walls might be the best short stuff in the game defensively. To watch him on a nightly basis, I did. I always knew he was a good player from obviously managing against these guys a lot I watched. I watched him make plays against this But when you watch him play defensively, it's a he plays at a different level and the numbers back it up where he is just a game changer defensively in the middle of the field, surrounded by two really good players that are kind of coming into their room. Ben Williamson's a really good baseball player. Johnny DeLuca, who's coming back off injury here soon's a good baseball player. It can really handle left handed pitching. Richie Pelosios has done a nice job from the left side against against right handed pitching. I think Cedric's gonna have a good second half. So there's besides the three big boys in the middle, there's some There's just some good baseball players that play the game the right way. They play hard, that can all do little things with small ball. So I've just been impressed with how they go about how they go about the game and how they play.
Speaker 1: All right, well that's Brandon Hyde, Ray's senior advisor of Baseball ops. Thank you for joining us Before I let you go, though, I need to know this.
Speaker 3: Tell Westy. People don't know.
Speaker 1: Westy is the director of Team Traveler. Thanks for texting me back three weeks later. I really appreciate all his help on something, so thanks for getting right back to me.
Speaker 3: It was amazing how quick his response was.
Speaker 4: He's the best in the business. That's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I mean he you know, when he needs Florida Gator tickets or he needs Florida Gator gear, you know what, he calls me, I get right back.
Speaker 3: I sent it to him. You know what. I asked him.
Speaker 1: My son's college team's playing at Clearwater. They want to come to VP. I texted him. The game's been played. They've already written about it, you know, in the history books. Three weeks later, Oh sorry, I just saw this.
Speaker 3: So thank god Elvis got back to me. That's all I can say. Thank god Elvis got back. He hooked him up.
Speaker 4: Elvis is a man too, exactly. I'll get on him about getting a little bit more, you know, back to you. In a quicker fashion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and tell him I'm not going to give him a tip, and I'll get Toby Hall to give him a tips.
Speaker 4: You probably years ago.
Speaker 3: That's what I never played. I never played for the Rays. I took West he out and got him drunk more times than he remembers.
Speaker 4: So he should be one of my boulets.