Speaker 1: Warrying. Today's episode contains light spoilers, not even really for Star Wars, Outlaws and Marvel Rivals, but again not really, It's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just catch hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Jason Concepcio and I'm Rosey Night and welcome back to X ray Vision, the podcast when we dive deep into your favorite show with movies, comics and pop culture. Coming from Iheard Podcast, We're bringing you to action pack episodes every Tuesdays.
Speaker 2: In the previously on we're talking Nintendo Black Ops, Faither, Xbox Ports, more drama.
Speaker 3: From a famous writer known as George R. Martin. You may have heard of him.
Speaker 2: Shows that one big at the Creative Arts Emmys and some impressive beat or juice box office numbers in the air. Look, we're gonna be talking about Star Wars Outlaws. Is it good? Are loving it? How does Jason feel about it? I haven't played it yet because I've been playing a five dollar cozy game that has overtaken my life, which I will also talk about. And in the comics corner, we will be talking about the comics adjacent Marvel Rivals, and we will be bringing in super producer Aaron who, unlike the rest of us, got to play forty five minutes of the game before getting kicked out.
Speaker 1: You b Beta, You bastard. First Previously on First Up New Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom trailer. This game gives us more story background and is of course to focus on Zelda. Confirmed Zelda can use a sword, and I think this looks really really fun and I absolutely will be playing. It is hues to the kind of classic like the original Nintendo and Super Nintendo, top down visual style of the original Legend of Zel games, and this looks like a really fun throwback.
Speaker 2: I love puzzle solving, I love combat. This is fun to play Zelda in a mainline Zelda game, and I think, like, you know, we got the automatons to kind of help Zelda fight. We got a dark Link type figure, which I always love those kind of things. Yeah, it's available way sooner than expected, at the end of this month, twenty sixth of Setember on the Nintendo Switch. So yeah, I am very excited to play that game because I love Zelda and I love cute things, and this is both.
Speaker 4: Next up for the sweats Call of Duty Black Ops six Sweatier than Ever coming October twenty fifth and the betas out now and folks, there's a new mechanic, new movement mechanic called omni movement, which allows players who have all of their fast twitch ability still intact because they haven't aged past the age of twenty four to absolutely bam boozle you and break your ankles and do all sorts of crazy movements in courting, including like sliding and jumping sideways like a John wu movie. Also new and Black Ops six coming off toward twenty fifth, there's sweats. You can take a person as like a meat shield.
Speaker 1: You can like grab them and use them as a bullet shield, and because of proximity voice communication, you can like whisper crazy shit in their ear while you're holding them hostage. It's trade.
Speaker 2: I will say, well, it's not.
Speaker 1: For me, but in a time in my life it would have been for me exactly.
Speaker 2: And I will say, look, do I seem like someone who plays call of duty?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Have I played call of duty in the past, yes, But I will say they do set They did sell me because basically the idea of this is one of my favorite classic action movie setups, which is like Black Ops Veteran right, Yes, in his team find themselves hunted by the military machine that created them, like the up for like every great Schwartzenegger action movie. So you know what, I know, maybe maybe, but will it really? Because can you cook him black ops? Then no, I'm probably not gonna play it. But I love that people are excited. I'm a very excited to watch videos of other people playing it looks deranged.
Speaker 1: Next up, George R. Martin takes to his blog not a blog and chooses violence.
Speaker 3: Oh baby, it was violent?
Speaker 1: Oh baby, so George, and full disclosure, I am the co host of the official Game of the Roads. How's the Dragon Pod? George R. Martin, creator of the Song of Ice and Fire books, writer of those books, creator of that world that inspired Game of Thrones and other h and other projects, including House of the Dragon on HBO. Max Uh teased about two weeks ago in a blog that he was not looking forward to writing his next blog, and he said his next blog would detail the things that he feels the adaptation of his work known as House of the Dragon nine h Beyond Max Uh got wrong from his source material and then boy did he do it?
Speaker 6: He?
Speaker 1: Then oh he did it? Then he last week took to his blog not a blog, and detailed all the things that he felt that got wrong, including the depiction of the blood and cheese murder of Prince the young Prince Jaharis, and other things, including delving into his understanding of the of Ryan Condall's Season three outright quite shocking, just quite soiling, really just like spoiling a bunch of season three stuff. And then this roiled the internet for a period of time, and then he took the blog post down. So the blogs is down and there have been no further developments since that time.
Speaker 2: But boy, wow, this was at Wow, that was a wild couple of hours.
Speaker 1: It was a wild couple of hours. And you know, it's impossible to like think about this without for me looking at it through the lens of the fact that George's books aren't finished, and it feels like he's dealing with that through this. Yeah, because this is also a man who has been writing for television since the early eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's why he wrote Game of Ferns, right, So he wanted to write something that people kept saying, this is too expensive, you can't make this, you could never put this to screen.
Speaker 3: So he was like, well, I'm going to put it in a book then.
Speaker 1: So he knows how it works to a large extent when you adapt something. And there is no even though George would in a previous blog pointed to Showgun as something that was Hey, they got it right, even though they changed, they did change. So muche there is if you're looking for the adaptation from book to screen, be that silver screen or television screen that is one hundred percent faithful to the source of it doesn't exist. It's never happened.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: This read to me, and this.
Speaker 6: Is just my.
Speaker 1: Armchair psychoanalyzing. I think George wants more, say, and he knows that he's probably not going to finish his book series all the way, and I think he's thinking legacy now. And I think because he understands Again this is just my theorizing. He understands how the business works and how things change necessarily when you adapt, and I think he just wants a more I think he wants a seat at the table in a way that he feels like he's not getting and I think he was willing to leverage his fan base to try and get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my agree, and I think he is someone who is perennially online. Yeah, and I think that that blog post, which only covered the first his problems with like the first couple of episodes, and he kind of talked about how there would be more to come, which I don't think will be happening. And now he took the blog down. Also, it felt like he was responding to what he had seen online and he'd seen people critique it, and then he'd gone, yeah, I feel like that too, like let me just get this out there. But it did have the naivety of like somebody who maybe didn't really perceive like you are the creator, you are the author, but you also, in Jason's words which I love this word, you sold it for a tremendous amount of money. Yeah, that's I sold that the like you sold the adaptation rights. And at some point that means that you do give it up and you put it out there and you allow somebody else to do a version of your story. And this to me seemed like a shortsighted choice. And I think that the blog post being taken down and they're not being any more conversation kind of speaks to how well it went.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do think, and I feel for George. I feel for both of us, but I feel for George as a guy who, like I've always said that if George doesn't finish, he's given us so much already, and that like as a person who as a creator looking at his career arc as a guy who was kind of like scuffling along as a kind of medium sized career success both on TV and in his books, to all of a sudden find like tremendous cultural success like later in his career. He if he lost some momentum in writing his books because he wanted to enjoy that. I don't think there's absolutely anything wrong with that. And I saw to your point, you know, I saw a lot of comments that were some version of oh, George said, if you ruin my story, I'm going to ruin yours. And I get that. I get that instinct and that feeling and people who were responding that way, and I also think it was his story. And then he did sell it for a lot of money. And there's no world in which when you sell something you can say and leave it just the way I sold it to you, because the new owners then will do stuff. And that happened. The changes happened for a variety of reasons, both creative and due to the fact that once you go out of the realm of imagination and pure text fiction, you enter a realm in which budgets happen, and they are not unlimited, and you have to make choices.
Speaker 2: I think it's an interesting I do think it's I think that it may be more of a hangover from how Game of Thrones ended when they I think the cost what was in the books, because actually the show has been so widely beloved. I feel like there is such a huge kind of critical appreciation of House to the Dragon and of the choices that it's made. And I feel like a lot of his kind of discomfort again armchair psychoanalyzing here. I'm not on you know, friendly terms with George or Martin. We don't have any beef.
Speaker 3: But I've ever met him. I met him once actually, but still, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: He essentially like, I feel like a lot of it is that fear, like you said, discomfort of not finishing the books the way that Game of Thrones ended, and some kind of fear that this will be a similar situation that he has to rectify merely but it's actually not like it's a show that everybody's loving, Like most people just think it's a really great show. Yeah. I did see some funny comments though, where people were like, you know what, he didn't critique. He didn't critique Alison m Ranier being gay because that shit's just canon.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I'll take that. I was like, I love that.
Speaker 1: Next up and O Tria the last song, follow up, it will come up on it Xbox. Then now it is coming out the after the developers had complained publicly that they can't get an email back from Microsoft. Now and O Tria is coming out on Xbox as dates possible and as soon as possible at a date to be mentioned later. But it's coming out. So it Squeaky Wheel, it turns out, does get the grease mm hmm. Next up, the Creative Arts Emmy winners have been announced, and it's a lot of stuff that we like. Blue Eyed Samurai has won for Outstanding Animated program.
Speaker 3: Beginning X ninety seven, beating X.
Speaker 1: Men ninety seven, and honestly, I think a deserved win.
Speaker 2: I think it deserves it. This is this is a landmark piece of programming and.
Speaker 1: Big winner here for the Creative Arts Emmys, a showgun breaking the record for most Emmys won by a single TV show with fourteen Emmys, including for Best Casting, Best Cinematography, Best Get act Your Best Main Title Design, Costumes, makeup, and more.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to these absolutely worthwhile wins all over. Also Best Stunt Performance. Let's get that going to the Oscars now, please. Now you know it's there in the Emmys, we can celebrate it. I was kind of confused to have to say though, even though I am an entertainment journalist, I didn't realize how many different parts.
Speaker 3: The Emmys have. Like I feel like a lot of these, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Nesta Carbonell winning Best Guest Actor in a Drama. He was fantastic, by the way, But like I feel like a lot of these I would have watched them, Like they could have streamed this, they could have televised this. I want to celebrate Shogun's wins, obviously, I'm very excited to see if you know, Tad Nobosano or Hiroyuki Sonada are gonna win when they do the televised Emmis. But Creative Arts Emes, I would.
Speaker 3: Be interested in watching this.
Speaker 2: I feel like we have enough streaming services enough YouTube type platforms now that it would be nice if we could watch these below the line and also sometimes above the line creatives get their you know, flowers on stage, So I would like to see that become a possibility.
Speaker 3: But love to see this for Shogun.
Speaker 2: I'd love to see it for Bluey Samurai, which won multiple awards as well.
Speaker 1: And next up, Tim Burton's Beetlejuice sequel, the New Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Remember Don't Stay, He Will Appear is experiencing a very very nice box office hall with over one hundred and forty five million in global that in.
Speaker 3: One hundred and ten domestically.
Speaker 1: You love to see it, uh. Tim Burton famously doesn't like casting non white actors in his films, but it hasn't hurt him yet and this film looks like it will be a success.
Speaker 2: Jenna Ortega, he's trying to move in these on that one, but yeah, I haven't seen it yet. I have to say, as Jason, tim Burton's previous comments and has moved towards like kind of nightmarish CG in his later career has turned me off. I was a huge Timburton fan as a kid, no surprise because I was a goth. But I do love Jenna Otaga, I do love Catherine O'Hara, I do love Winona Ryder.
Speaker 3: And from what I have heard, it.
Speaker 2: Is a very practical movie that has moved him back to that production design that made Batman Batman returns Edwards Sizahans and the original beat or just so special.
Speaker 3: So I will be going to see it for five dollars on Tuesday.
Speaker 1: They also will be going to see it for a discounted price. Here are Tim Burton's comments from a few years back. I think a Bustle interview quote. I remember back when I was a child watching The Brady Bunch and they started getting all politically correct, like, okay, let's have an Asian child and a black child. I grew up watching blaxploitation movies, right, and I said, that's great. I didn't go like, there should be more white people in these movies. There's lots of.
Speaker 2: White people in black exploitation movies, sir, and most of them were made by white people.
Speaker 1: So according to Burton, that's when the Pretty Bunch started go downhill. Is not the Brady Munch going woke.
Speaker 2: Jason got Now, well, you know what, maybe if he gets a third beat Le Juice movie, which I'm sure, maybe I'll throw us at by once again. Or maybe General or Tager will be telling him off and teaching him how to be a better person. Not that that should be on the young people, but she has been wonderful on this Beat or Juice press tour. She's been wearing fantastic Beat or Juice inspired outfits and in a moment that went viral that I absolutely loved, she told Winona Ryder to not listen to leave. You don't have to take those sunglasses. I felt like that was a greatly healing moment when we're Knowna's career was just absolutely decimated by the evils of the paparazzi. So good on you, jenneral O Tager.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 2: I hope you've got a sick back end deal and that some of this box office money is coming your way.
Speaker 1: We're about to make some money because coming up next, we're going to jump out and talk about Star Wars Outlaws. After these messages and we're back to talk about Star Wars Outlaws recently released. It came out August thirtieth on Windows, PS five, Xbox Series X and S published by Ubisoft. Third Person Star Wars open world game set between the events of Empire Strikes Back in Return of the Jedi. You're not playing it, Rosie.
Speaker 2: I have not played it yet because I do not want to spend that much money on a game as of yet. But I do want to pet the cute creature Nicks. At some point.
Speaker 1: I will get it.
Speaker 2: Jason, you are playing it, I am. How does it feel?
Speaker 1: Well? Like an absolute dupe and supper for everything that George Lucas has done since nineteen seventy seven and a situation that continues to this very day. I paid for whatever it was, the Ultra or Elite version of this game so that I could play it fucking Tuesday night ahead of day August thirty. They had my number, and here is my take on the game. I was originally quite disappointed it felt for an open world game, it felt very sparsely populated and by both people and things to do, and from a like gameplay, story action perspective, it kind of felt like the pacing was off. Like that said, having now played for many more days after this and gotten into the you know out of the kind of tutorial section and have been exploring extensively the open world section. Having now been able to explore extensively the open world section and starting to build my relationships with the various organized crime factions there, here is what I'm less disappointed. And here's what I have to say about Star Wars Outlaws, and really this is the only thing you need to know about it. If you have not yet purchased the game. This is a game for two groups. It is a game for one people who are fans longtime fans of Star Wars who have not ever really played video games before, or younger fans of Star Wars kids who similarly have really not played video games before. If this is your first open world game, congratulations. This is the perfect thing for you because it will teach you about open world games. And it has enough is enough. The fighting is good enough, the stealth is fun enough. The platforming, the kind of third person uncharted style platforming is like good and engaging enough, and you know, there's a fun creature that is your pet, and it's perfect. It's perfect in that regard. If you have like ever played a Grand Theft auto game, or have ever played like a Red Dead Redemption game, You're gonna be like, what the fuck is this? This game is not for you. It is for the same people that other Star Wars merches for, and that is like kids and nostalgic nostalgic oldsters who have not played video games before. So in that say, it's kind of fun.
Speaker 2: Also just people who want to spend time in like a Star Wars world, you know, because some people are not necessarily looking for that like challenging, kind of completely full, like you know, task based sit you and some people just want to be like chillin doing stealth in a Stall Wars world. And I think that's like definitely in on Discode, we've seen a lot of people who are just having fun just like wandering around doing stealth as.
Speaker 1: A low stakes game. It's like excellent. I think it's excellent and it and it is again if you have if you have no experience with a third person open world game, then this is gonna be a great game for you. There's lots of stuff to do, there's a pretty like everything is like the kind of basic version of a mechanic that you would find in it, like another triple a open world game. The hacking is. The hacking is actually pretty interesting. It's based on like a beat system, like a music system, like It'll be. You have to basically match the beat oncative like a rhythm game. You have to match the beat like on two to three consecutive like this is sorry, the lock picking mechanic on several consecutive beats in order to open whatever the package is. The hacking, which they call slicing, is like wordle in which you select pictograms and it'll tell you if either the pictogram is not part of the hacking sequence, is part of the hacking sequence but it's in the wrong place or is perfectly placed in the right place, and then you'll have like a couple of tries based on your feedback from your first tries. So that's kind of interesting and cool. The stealth is like, you don't there's no cover system. There's no like cover fire system. You can't really peek like you can in other third person games, but like taking cover behind like a box, and like shooting at stormtroopers is fun. The action the AI is pretty fucking dumb. Like you can sneak right by somebody, you can you can tell Nick's to like pickpocket somebody. You can be standing six inches away, they're like what like nicks will run over to you and drop their stolen items, like right in front of them, and you pick it up and they have no idea. But when you get into combat with stormtroopers, Ubisoft I think was and the developer was smart enough to know that one their AI is done, so therefore too they can kind of overcome that by just making the AI super aggressive. So if you shoot at a stormtrooper and you get into a gunfight or a Pike gangster or whoever, they're just gonna go fucking crazy trying to get you, trying to find you, chasing you all over the map. And in that sense that is engaging and active enough that the worst thing that could happen is you're wandering around being like what they can I can't get into a fight. I don't know what to do. And so you do kind of have a choice, Like there's several missions in the early to mid game where you know they tell you, okay, you got to be quiet, and you just have to be quiet, But then it'll open up to where okay, you have a choice. You can either be stealthy or you can go in Guns of Blazing, and going in Guns of Blazing is pretty fun, even for a person like me who's played a lot of games. The UH vehicles are reasonably fun, Like it's not like GTA where you're like can capture like every kind of ship, but like the speeder racing is pretty fun. And relationships, similarly, it's not like a very complicated relationship system faction system as you would find, you know, in some other Triple A game, whether it be Red Dead or what have you. But it is cool, like if you do work for the Pikes, the Pikes will like you, but the Huts maybe won't like you, and so you do have to like balance this stuff, and it does get interesting, and it's fun to go into the cantina and meet with your contact and like get missions. The missions are definitely much more on rails than a veteran video game player would probably like. But again, I think this is mainly for kids and people who's for whom this is their first video game experience. Now I'll also say this, don't if you have not bought this game, don't buy the expensive version. Don't do what I did. You will never look at the digital video art book, you will not care about the skins, fuck all that shit. Just play the very basic version of the game and you will get the full vent game experience and you will have fun overall. Six out of ten, but like a solid six again if this I remember when I was a kid first playing video games. I was like, holy shit, it is amazing, wow, And I think kids will like it, especially like if they are say before around the age of like eight, nine, ten, and have not gotten into like Fortnite or anything else like that yet. They If you're looking for something to get kids into star Wars and gaming that's not like crazy and violent, super uber violent, with like all sorts of like bad content, adult content, Star Wars Outlaws, it's for you, Rosie. You've been playing a game, yes, I have so.
Speaker 2: I a while ago, I was waiting for this one game that was called that's based on this Scandinavian kid's books called The Movements, which I love, and I did get that game. It is a rhythm game and it's really cute. It's called Snuffkins Melody of Moomon Valley. But look that game. I got it on sale. It was like fifteen dollars. I was like I'm gonna play this game NonStop. But then I got influenced by one of the cozy gamers and that game's cute. It's like rhythm game. It's very cute. You wander around, it feels kind of like a cozy grove actually, which me and Aaron were talking about before. But I got influenced by a cozy gamer, probably Cozy Gamer Girl, she's always influencing me, who was playing a game called Minami Lane that is five dollars that has absolutely addicted me, and it is essentially a cozy time management game where a Tanooki hires you to help get little streets back to bustling kind of thoroughfares. And it's like you've got to go in and there is one building, and you've got to make sure that you have enough buildings so that elder people can come, and you've got to make enough buildings so that younger people can come. And the challenges of stuff like make a karaoke bar that is good for younger people and make sure there's one that's good for elder people, and there is slight. There's a lot of optional stuff like you can do it within six days. You can take this much time you can do it with this many buildings, so you can add level of stress. But I love a time management game. And a lot of times, like Nick or my friends will be like, why do you relax by like doing jobs? Like why is that enjoyable to you to like run an errand or run a restaurant? I will say this game is so relaxing that even people who don't necessarily usually like time management games should check it out. It's so beautifully put together too, like and also I really, I really like the fact that they they there are noveral tips for the game because the game is very simple, so they just say when it comes up, it'll be a tip, and it'll be like, we love you, thanks for playing the game.
Speaker 5: So it just has like entirely great vibes. It has a gorgeous, really lovely aesthetic. It's made by Doot and blee Bloop incredible names, and the publisher is Wholesome Games Presents, and it is legit like maybe the most enticing game I've played this yet absolutely just so addicting.
Speaker 2: Like if you like Stardu Valley and you got addicted to Stardu Valley, this is like that, but way simpler, way, less expansive, and actually more addicting.
Speaker 1: Wow, huge, you will get addicted. Yeah, that's the time management games of the exact same type of game that addicts me. You know what, I'm addicted to keeping this podcast going. WHOA, stay tuned for a word from our responsibility and we're back. Now it is time to talk about Marvel Rivals. Marvel Rivals Free to Play six v six Hero Shooter, which is basically overwatched skinned for Marvel, was in early access recently. We did get at as a show. We got access to the game, and we got AT. That access code came through about thirty minutes after early access ended, so we were not able to play. But super producer Aaron tell Us and welcome to the show. Tell us your thoughts on your very brief relationship with the early access beta of Marvel Rivals.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I also, I mean I got it very late. I got it with about an hour left. It just happened to be I'm on the East Coast and I wake up very early, so I had access to it for the brief moment it was still up that Unfortunately the two of you did not. I will come to this as someone who I'm a huge Marvel fan. I've actually never played Overwatch, so I have not done too many of the team shooters. I had a ton of fun it has. I know there's a ton of things that are very similar with this Overwatch, including some of the characters and their move sets are almost one to one. I've heard like the Punisher is basically Soldier seventy six. But a quick breakdown, there will be I believe it's twenty five heroes you can choose and villains, and when it launches it will have Captain, American Winner Soldier who were not in the beta, but everyone all heroes will be unlocked and free to play at launch, which is very exciting. You don't have to buy the DLC to get Doctor Strange or pay extra to have Spider Man. It will only be cosmetic things. I tried characters in each of the three roles. So there's Vanguard, which is basically your tank character, There's Duelists that are dps, and then Strategist, which is.
Speaker 2: The support character.
Speaker 6: And I know, Jason, you talked to Rosie earlier about Overwatch and had suggested a support character for her. So some good ones in there, and they're really interesting ways they use it, Like Loki is a strategist who he makes copies of himself and illusions, and then the more illusions he has, the stronger his healing abilities are in terms of like the Tanks group realistic like actually makes walls of branches like throughout the battlefield to change things. And then for duelists like star Lord, he's very quick and whenever you dash it auto reloads his weapon, which is some very cool, like unique things. I did think it was a little strange, like Magneto and Doctor Strange are tanks kind of just because they have shields like as part of their power set, and like they needed more tanks. But like Hulk is a tank. Yeah, I get that, but I don't know if Doctor Strange. If I think of him as like a tanky character as opposed.
Speaker 2: To like a detail, I will say I can't. This is not the case with Doctor Strange. I think you're onto something that But I will say I feel like putting like Magneto in that like tanky kind of space. It's definitely also like going back to the old Capcom games where I feel like he did he was kind of a little bit bigger. He did have that kind of shield vibe. But okay, so the one that I was really interested that they included is like they have Adam Warlock in this game, who is one of the support characters. Could you talk a little bit about him, because that's just like I never even thought i'd see Adam Warlock in a video game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I didn't play as Adam Warlock, but I had he was in games I played, and he does a cool thing where he connects different teammates. So like if I am getting focused and you connect me to one of our other teammates, any damage to me is spread between us. So wow, that's a really fun thing. Like if you do have a tank who's right in the middle, and you know, you can spread out that damage, so even if it or a really squishy character shares their damage with a tank. Again, not an Overwatch pro by any means, So I don't know what the best strategies are, but I had a ton of fun. Rocket has some really cool things where like he he can jump on group and just if your teammate is a group, he can group. Yeah, and so they do have these these team up abilities that like sometimes it's just two characters, sometimes it's three, but it's not symmetrical, so like Rocket has stuff with Punisher and Groop but doesn't have anything with Captain America for instance. Interesting, but supposedly the developers have said they're going to rotate them, so like there won't be a Rocket and Adam Warlock thing at launch, but maybe two months in it will have that and they'll rotate out the Punisher and Rocket one. So I think that feels weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they would add and take something away as part of the game maintenance.
Speaker 6: Taking things away is a choice.
Speaker 1: I predicted that will be something that will be changed, Like although you know, as a long time Overwatch player, I still play. They do tweak. The game has been tweaked regularly and is tweaked between seasons all the time, and is tweaked mid scenes in a competitive season, just based on like who's overpowered who's not. So I could see that. Yeah, there is precedent for changing games that way, but like taking an entire mechanic out and the ability seems weird, but that's neither here nor there.
Speaker 2: Maybe they'll do it, Maybe they'll do it more seasonally, like yeah, you know kind of how they have like Fortnite skins or like different kind of mechanisms you can play when it's like Halloween or whatever. Maybe, But I think you're right, Jason. I feel like if they're doing it where you can get every character without having to like unlock them like old people used to have to, like we did in all games, or without a DLC, it seems unlikely that it's gonna make sense for them to just be like removing things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're not gonna do that, I mean, unless they really want to enrage a fan base. They're not gonna make it pay to win, which people will perceive it as being paid to win if exactly these moves. I would imagine the way they're gonna make money for free to play game is skins, weapon skins, costumes, et cetera.
Speaker 6: And they've already shared some of those, and so like the Venom character has. One of the skins they previewed was basically like the very light blue skinned Venom reminiscent of Marvel Capcom. So they have they and they have multiple Magneto skins. I think that I saw like the one that they have is like really old, grizzled looking Magneto. I'm sure they'll do like the X Men ninety seven costume, Like they'll have so many options there with skins. I think kind of like Marvel Capcom. Like as a kid, I didn't play a ton of Moral Kombat or Street Fighter, but I played Marvel Capcom because it was Marvel characters. And I have a feeling this will be a similar entry point for people like myself who have never played Overwatch but love Avengers or X Men, Like you're gonna jump into this game because it's familiar characters, and like, I may not have any connection to Winston in Overwatch, but hey, I understand Venom, and like I can jump in and play as that character and understand what's going to happen. You know, he's got webs, he's got the mobility of swinging around, Like, okay, cool, I'll play him and see what happens. So I was a big fan of it for the forty five minutes that I've played, and I can't come out in December.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that. That's exactly I've tried to play Overwatch, just like I've tried to play Fortnite, and like the mechanics of the games and like being good at them can feel like a lot of work for me. But even though I do think I've watched her some of the best designs of any video game, I love those character designs. I I will be more inclined to try this out because I want to play like me and Jason are sending each other videos. It's like, who doesn't want to be like Groot, like building giant Wolves. I want to play as Adam Warlock, as Derange. I want to play as Magic. I love matth Yeah, Jeff the land Shark. I may shout out to Kelly Thompson like legendary edition there, and Yeah, I just I think that this seems like a lot of fun and I'm definitely interested to see if this is the unexpected breakout because I do feel like we did think Outlaws was probably going to be the big fandom breakout game. But like you said, Jason, I think it has a slightly limited reach compared to what we thought. But this might be as the free to play as the fact that Overwatch has been out for like a while now, and that first bubble of Overwatch was so huge. I wonder if this could get people back into it and introduce a wider audience to it.
Speaker 1: Well, Aaron, thanks for joining us, Thank you for updating us on Marvel Rivals. I insanely jell us that you yes.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we will get to play it soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah. On Thursday's episode of Extra Vision, we're diving into The Boy and the Heron, which just came out on streaming last weekend, Miyazaki's latest masterpiece. Then we're continuing our journey in Middle Earth on Friday with our recap and reaction to episode five of Rings of Power season two. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Kensumsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Lron and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi on Disco Moderata