Speaker 1: What is the first Disney movie that you can remember impacting your life.
Speaker 2: I think it was Cinderella, which is hilarious if you know anything about the Cheetah Girls, because we talk about not wanting to be Cinderella, but like literally that movie was like you can be anyone, like you can flourish into this beautiful world from like working hard and being a good person. And the dress was just freaking gorgeous.
Speaker 3: I just needed that dress in that life.
Speaker 2: Without being like, you know, just total Oh, it's all about being good people.
Speaker 3: The dress was awesome. Okay, the dress was awesome.
Speaker 4: But how old were you when you saw it? Do you remember?
Speaker 2: Really young? Really young? You know what I mean? The most was kids Incorporated. That really probably was what actually built what my dream of my life was gonna be. Like I was like, I'm gonna definitely find a diner that I can like work in and work the stage and do all of that. That was like my goal.
Speaker 1: That's what kids incorporated. That's right, because we weren't even get into child labor laws. The fact that these little kids were working at a diner. I know mine was Mary Poppins, really Mary Poppins at four years old, just changed the whole ballgame for me. First of all, because I fell in love with Julie Andrews, like right away, how could you not?
Speaker 4: How do you not? Exactly?
Speaker 1: And then it was just there was something so magical about everything in that movie. It was that's the thing Disney does. It captures this magic and it just throws it at you. It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Is it turns cough medicine yuck into sugar? Like, Okay, I'm down for that for sure. I'm still down for that because I still have hard time with tough medicine.
Speaker 1: You're honest, well, as adults, we want to bring you back to that wonderful time with our show, our first episode of Magical Rewind.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: It's been a journey to get here, it has, but I'm so excited that we're here.
Speaker 2: As soon as the idea hit, it was like just not just wanting to do an awesome podcast for everyone else, but selfishly getting the opportunity to like watch these movies again and transform back into whoever I was when I first watched it, right like when I was thirteen watching Johnny Tsunami, when I was you know, when we were watching Brink falling in love through the TV on Brin.
Speaker 4: Isn't that the best?
Speaker 2: Y'all know what I'm talking about on that? Yeah, you all know.
Speaker 4: I don't yet. I haven't seen Brink.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I can't wait. So Yes, welcome to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to the time when all the houses were smart, the waves were tsunamis, and the high schools were all musical. We cannot wait for you to join us because one of the things that we're realizing as we're watching all this stuff is that it's all generational. Even within the d cooms. The d coms you watched were different than the d coms I watched. They weren't even all d coms at the time. It's so strange, it's unbelievable. And we dive into that nostalgia. We are going to take you back to the good old days. When we started this, I was really interested in just some of the kind of nuts and bolts of the wonderful world of Disney and Disney Channel original movies, which are what we're going to be watching. And so there were actually three different iterations of Disney Channel Original Movies. So they started in nineteen eighty three actually being called Disney Channel Premiere Films. So again I had no idea all the deep diving stuff that I'm doing. So the Disney Channel Premiere film started with something called Tiger Town, which I'm sure we'll eventually get to. Yes, then they changed in nineteen ninety seven, they went to Disneysney Channel Original Movie zoog Disney Channel Films, okay, with a film called Northern Lights, which again I'm sure we'll get into. And then they changed again to just the straight up d coms that we know about, So they keep kind of changing all the way around. And then when you add Wonderful World to Disney In, which we're also going to be doing, that starts in nineteen fifty four with Walt's Wonderful World of Color. So if I've done my math correctly and I look at all the films from the d coms and the Wonderful World of Disney's, we have seventy two trillion movies to watch.
Speaker 3: Seventy two trillion and four or five and.
Speaker 1: Four and five right, and all the new Descendants movies that are still coming out here you go.
Speaker 2: There's about five or six of those, so.
Speaker 4: We've got some time, which is great.
Speaker 3: By the way, I'm Wilford and I'm Sabrina Bryan, and we.
Speaker 1: Are going to be your your guides on this wonderful journey back to childhood.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited, yes to see all this.
Speaker 1: We think we picked a good one to get into it today, and we're going to start not with a dcom, but with a wonderful World of Disney movie. I had not heard of this film before. Frankly, I didn't know anything about this. Apparently it's called My Date with the President's Daughter. Did I say that right?
Speaker 2: I think you did. But I only saw it maybe thirteen or fourteen times, so I can't really honestly remember.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, Yeah, I watched it last night. There's a lot that's great with it. The main kid is adorable. We'll get into that. But yes, so we are doing My Date with the President's Daughter today. So excited this. People have been talking about this film recently, more and more and more, and fans are coming up all the time. This film has had a huge resurgence. I had not seen it in years. I mean, it's had to have been twenty years since I've seen this.
Speaker 2: Movie, right, Weirdly, you have to go on YouTube to find it, right, Yeah, you can't. It's not on Disney Plus.
Speaker 4: It's not anywhere. It's just on YouTube.
Speaker 2: It's just on YouTube. And there's a couple of things that I really want to talk about because I remember certain things actually watching it on the TV being a little bit clearer.
Speaker 3: So I have a coop of questions for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough. Well, yeah, first we'll get into the breakdown of the movie. So it debuted April nineteenth, nineteen ninety eight, on ABC. I remember it was a big resurgence of Wonderful World at Disney. We were so excited to be part of the Wonderful World of Disney World, so very very cool with that. It was directed by Alex zam who was also one of the co writers of the film. He has a very long list of credit, but for purposes of this podcast, the ones that we love that he directed were the twenty twenty one version of Under Wraps and the twenty twenty two sequel. He wrote this with William Robertson. It's a ninety minute film. It was shot all in Toronto. That's the other thing that people don't know is that we were not in Washington, d C.
Speaker 4: We did nothing in Washington, DC. We didn't do anything in la.
Speaker 1: We were all in Canada the entire time that we were there, and I, of course played Duncan Fletcher. I was joined by Elizabeth Arnoa, who played the President's daughter, Hallie Richmond. She was on Boy Meets World, which is where a lot of people who are listening to this may know her from.
Speaker 4: But if you did not watch Boy Meets World and you know.
Speaker 1: Her from My Date with the President's darter, you might also know her as Morgan Brody on over eighty episodes of CSI. But Elizabeth and I didn't get to work together on Boy. She was in a different scene. She was in the A story with Ben. To be honest, when we did this film, we weren't sure we'd even spoken to each other before Wow, So it was really cool. We got along very very well, and we can get into all that as we go farther. But it also starred Dabney Coleman as President Richmond. Dabney is ninety one years old and is a legendary. Love him, right, I mean, just from nine to five and War Games, which are two of his biggest ones. But for me, the one that I got to sit and talk to him about was a movie that was so important to me as a kid, Cloak and Dagger.
Speaker 4: Such an incredible film. I don't know if you've seen it. If you have, you should.
Speaker 1: It is just such a good movie. So got a chance to work with him. I've got some great Dabney Coleman stories for you too. And of course j Thomas played my dad. He was a two time Emmy winner for his work on Murphy Brown. He was also the Easter Bunny in Santa Claus two and three. He was also very well known for being Carla's husband on Cheers Eddie Lebeck, and he unfortunately passed away in twenty seventeen from cancer. He was another great guy where had a lot of fun shooting the film.
Speaker 2: And a legendary DJ. He yes, just information that was unknown to me.
Speaker 4: Oh you didn't know that. Yeah, he was a big radioho That.
Speaker 2: Is so awesome because he does he has such a great voice.
Speaker 4: He does well.
Speaker 2: It totally made sense, But I did not know that. That's a great tidbit.
Speaker 4: The synopsis of the film is.
Speaker 1: Duncan is just an ordinary high school student and aspiring magician, while Halley dreams an ordinary life but is the daughter of the sitting US President, living with a high profile.
Speaker 4: And rigid schedule.
Speaker 1: When Duncan metally at the local mall, he nervously asked her to his school dance, unaware of her family situation, and when their date is ruined by the intrusive Secret Service agents, the young lovebirds cut loose for.
Speaker 4: A night of mischief.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you, just right off the bat, first impressions, what did you think of the movie?
Speaker 2: So I already loved it. I was already a fan. It wasn't like I was watching it for the first time this round, okay, But I will say, watching it again, I think I appreciated the sentiment and the teenage like love. I felt so bad for you. This hallie chick could not have been worse for four down, Like I just you know, it's so true. I think when I was younger, I thought she was just so beautiful and so cool and like, yeah, like get out there like cos ruck is, we're yourself girl, And this time around, I'm like, girl, calm Dawn, what you want him to do what. So it was a lot more of the perception I had like for her and being this like gorgeous, you know, just she's just like getting out getting wild and like thinking that was so cool, to being like you need to cut it back. So I think my mama's stuff kind of came into the mix a little bit more on this time, however.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 3: I just loved it.
Speaker 2: I think I appreciated so much more of like the like heartfelt moments the short, you know, in a different way.
Speaker 3: It was awesome. I really loved it.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I appreciate that I liked it.
Speaker 2: There are so many funny things that I can not wait to talk about though, because will you gotta come in?
Speaker 1: Oh no, at first of all, we won't even get into the hair. We'll get to that later, but oh we're getting into it.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I liked it overall. I did.
Speaker 1: I you know, I'm I'm very critical of myself and my performance, so I thought the film. I got better as the film went on, which is kind of unfortunate.
Speaker 4: It started.
Speaker 1: I was kind of big, I thought, really trying to push it at the very beginning, but then myself, it's like it's was it wonderful old to Disney, It's supposed to be kind of a younger movie, so I got to be okay with it. But I totally agreed with you where I'm just watching kind of going, wow, she's she's kind of toxic.
Speaker 2: She's going terrible, terrible choice, A terrible choice.
Speaker 1: I mean it was, Yeah, she she made some some decisions that were not.
Speaker 2: She really pretty awful to you. To be honest, I was kind of like I would have rewrote the ending and been like, you know what, chick, this was a great night.
Speaker 4: Not for me, not for me, not really.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, So do you think Duncan could have done better?
Speaker 2: Okay, Duncan could have I think he could have leveled up. Wow, found someone a little bit more kind to him and like it's for his poor dad's car. Like it just was.
Speaker 3: She just really didn't care. I do have a question for you, so.
Speaker 1: Right off the bat, Okay, sweet, how was your audition?
Speaker 2: Did you have to audition? Was this something you were on Boy Meets World and it was just like a way for them to transition you know that demo because it was on the Disney Channel, right, it was on ABC. Right, how did that whole process go for you.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, we know how much Disney loves the synergy of using their fellow talent. So yeah, I think they wanted to keep it not only in the Disney family, but the ABC family, which makes sense. I did audition for this. I wish I remembered more of the actual audition process. The one thing I remembered most was meeting Alex Zam who was the director of the film, and he and I getting getting along right off the bat. And one of the reasons is because I had done a little research on him, and randomly, when I was younger, I was at home back in Connecticut and I was watching they did a kind of a I guess retrospective is not the right way, A montage, kind of of a mashup. I guess, I would say of short films by young up and coming directors on HBO. And I fell in love with this short film about this little kid going to get his first haircut. And I found out that Alex had done that, and just randomly, here I am, eight nine years later in his film and gushing, oh I remember seeing So he and I got along right from the get go.
Speaker 4: And then it was one of those auditions that I read for and didn't hear about for a while.
Speaker 1: And then right after that, you know, I think we finished the season of Boy and right before the season was gonna end, they said, hey, we want you to do the film, and we're we're shooting right away, and I'm just We ran up to Toronto, and of course I'm thinking we're gonna be in DC at least for some of it, but we weren't. We got on the plane and flew to Toronto, and everything you saw in Washington, d C.
Speaker 4: There was actually another country. Yeah country it was. It wasn't even another another city.
Speaker 2: I will say though, I was very impressed with the white House production value. The set right, the set was wonderful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so. It was an actual replica, was scaled down replica of the entire White House interior.
Speaker 1: And I think they built it for a Wesley Snipes movie called Murder at sixteen hundred, which he's like a cop where I think Diane Lane's in it, and they build this they you know, there's a murder that takes place in the White House and he's a DC cop that has to come in and solve the case, and so they shot at in Toronto and they built this entire replica set, so.
Speaker 4: That's what the Oval Office looks like.
Speaker 1: It was looked like the Resolute desk, and it looked like the actual carpet and everything. So they redid the entire White House up there, and I remember just sitting in there. And one of my funniest stories was at the time I did this terrible Bill Clinton impression, and Entertainment Tonight came to interview us on the set and I just stayed like in my Bill Clinton the whole time, like walking them around, going you know, oh, yeah, no're welcome, and this is oh, it's my desk and all that's kind of and it was just just a terrible impression. Doesn't sound anything like Bill Clinton. But of course I thought I was amazing and asa, but it was. It was a really cool set that we got. You got to pop into the different rooms and it looked like you were in the White House.
Speaker 4: It was really really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: And then we shot a lot at night. That was the other thing, because it takes place kind of over one night. It was it was definitely an experience to shoot the film.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I really love that set, and that set really just instantly brings you into like, oh.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, it legitimized.
Speaker 2: If it was like crummy, it would be like if it.
Speaker 4: Looked like a fake white House set.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was great, I really. I mean if you instantly start thinking of where the character's at, how it would be to be them, or how they how they are existing as like being the presidential family. The weight of that and what it means, it instantly gets you. It does instantly.
Speaker 1: Well, essentially, after we open up and we see the White House, we've established everything. The thing that then takes the film to a place where I still hear about it all the time is the opening song.
Speaker 2: Yes, this theme song is perfection.
Speaker 1: Well it also it's perfect in a way that it's a jingle almost like a cartoon, like a commercial jingle. You can't get out of your head. So it's your driving down the street with this thing in your head. So it was a song obviously called My Date with the President's Daughter. It was done by the band The Presidents of the United States of America, and you know they were big.
Speaker 4: I guess big in the nineties. They had a couple songs in the nineties that were hits.
Speaker 1: Lump and Peaches were two of the songs that they were very very well known for.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I had heard originally that this was the last song that they did as a band together and then broke up, and now apparently we have since been told that they then got back together and were together until like twenty fifteen. So yeah, after my guess is with the unmitigated success of My Date with the President's Daughter theme song, they went on a tour somewhere like we're taking We're taking this, and we're.
Speaker 4: Going on a tour.
Speaker 1: So just very briefly enjoy this and now it is stuck in your head.
Speaker 2: Forever for the next for the next two days at least, So.
Speaker 4: The song is not on any streaming service.
Speaker 3: That was so surprising to me.
Speaker 2: I could not believe that it's nowhere.
Speaker 1: But that's why we think that a lot of people don't understand, and I'm just learning this myself, how tied in music rights are with film rights. So one of the reasons people think that because everybody asked me, why isn't Disney Plus putting my Date with the President's Daughter on there?
Speaker 4: Why is there no Date with the President's Daughter?
Speaker 1: And One of the possibilities is that the song is not licensed, so they can't put it up there.
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess they could cut it out at the beginning and put.
Speaker 3: Something else in, or it would be so missed.
Speaker 4: Right, It's like it's in are twined with the film.
Speaker 2: But truly, nothing was ever put on a soundtrack of any sort that was original Disney Channel music until The Cheetah Girls, So that was like rest a soundtrack of any movie that was made for the Disney Channel.
Speaker 4: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: You know, if they're creating music specifically for a movie that's on the channel, you're gonna have a hard time finding it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it happens occasionally, like Wonder Years. For instance.
Speaker 1: If you go and stream Wonder Years right now, they don't have their original opening title song the What would you do if that's gone? Because they don't they couldn't license it, So now you go and stream it and it's something else.
Speaker 4: So I guess Disney Plus could do that with my date, but they haven't, I think because it's so intertwined.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean that same thing. I'm sure it feels different when you do watch Wonder Years.
Speaker 4: But without the theme song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that song just it just fumes. Use can smell the nineties with it. It's song and it's everything that was big in the nineties with music in that era.
Speaker 4: It truly is the other thing.
Speaker 1: That's just very briefly, while we're stuck on the music, one of the problems I had while watching this film is there are times the music is so loud that you can't hear the dialogue.
Speaker 5: Of the movie.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice that.
Speaker 4: Oh man, two or three of the car scenes, there are some sound issues.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's YouTube or it was part of it is the original edit of the film, because I remember we went back and we dubbed a lot of this movie.
Speaker 2: So like my questions for one of the scenes, yes, so the bust scene.
Speaker 4: For sure, all looped.
Speaker 1: The entire thing one hundred percent. It was too loud, and we one hundred percent looped it. Most of the car stuff one hundred percent looped, So we had to go back in and rematch our mouth flaps to fit our dialogue in there. And so they at times also pumped up the music so you couldn't even really hear the dialogue. The sound was a little strange Okay, so that was one of the problems.
Speaker 2: That it is interest seem to know whether or not that was because of how it's being streamed right now, or is it from like original?
Speaker 1: Right, I don't and I don't remember, and somebody out there probably has an original DVD or original VHS and we'll be able to tell us.
Speaker 4: Like, no, the mix is a lot better when you have the original.
Speaker 2: Drop it in the comments and let us know.
Speaker 1: One thing we are going to be doing every week is we're going to be doing something called real and random reviews.
Speaker 4: So these are actual reviews.
Speaker 1: We're going to do one positive review and one negative review of every single movie that we found on the internet. Now, again keep in mind these are real. We're not going to change anything. We are not put you know we are. We are just reading them as they are.
Speaker 4: We are the messengers. So which one do you want to do? Do you want to do? Want to do one? Or good or bad? This week up to you.
Speaker 2: I think I think I want to do the bad one.
Speaker 4: You want to do you want to do the bad one?
Speaker 2: Okay, like it's.
Speaker 4: Hilarious, Okay, so I will do the good one.
Speaker 1: Then. So the positive is from Bean two two four five, two four eight, and it is ten out of ten stars.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much being And here's the review.
Speaker 1: I thought that this movie was an excellent movie for all ages to watch. I thought it was creative for the director to make the end the way it was with the security guards. I also liked that they put Halle to buy a pink dress. I liked how Duncan dropped all the hats on the floor at the mall where he met Hallie.
Speaker 3: Great review, great review, love that all the way around.
Speaker 2: You love the pink dress as the rest of the teenage Americans of the time.
Speaker 4: I love just drop the hats on the floor. Love it. What's the right now?
Speaker 2: The negative one? All right? Four out of ten stars. Guys, this is not a good review. Will I disagree with it?
Speaker 4: It's fine, but I will take it.
Speaker 2: Here's what it says, Eh, this movie isn't that great. There are a lot of mistakes in it, and it's cheesy. I got this movie for Christmas like five years ago, but for some reason I never given it away. I guess it was just like for Rainy Day. Even though I only watch it like once a year, so you're still watching it once a year watching it. Okay, I think it was appropriate for the whole family, but Hailey's dress was a bit unmodest, but certainly appropriate enough for family material.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's all I'm saying, it's he maybe is she?
Speaker 2: I don't know, all over the place, and you're still watching it once a year, So what's the problem. Like, if you don't like it, throw it away. Honestly, geez, love it.
Speaker 4: I love it though, Oh funny, I love how they it was.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's appropriate for the whole family, but a bit unmodest, but certainly appropriate enough for family material.
Speaker 4: It's like right, which which.
Speaker 2: I don't like it, but I watch it once a year. I mean, it's just all over the place. You know, hey, fair enough, you can have your own ere. It's fine. It's just let's balance out figure out where you actually sit with the movie, because this does not seem that great.
Speaker 1: I love that and still four out of ten stars, which I think is great.
Speaker 4: This we should talk about the dress.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, because the first one talks about the dress, and the dress became pretty iconic.
Speaker 4: No one knew.
Speaker 1: You never know when you're making a movie, what's the what the thing is that's gonna hook on people, And it's this dress. This pink dress has been everywhere. It's been all over social media lately. And yes, I know that Elizabeth has talked about it.
Speaker 2: When it came on the screen, I was like, oh the dress, Hey girl, hey dress there.
Speaker 1: When you watch it as a kid, was the dress something that stuck out like right away?
Speaker 2: Yes? It was like clueless outfits like really the yellow you know, business dress outfit?
Speaker 3: Like, yes, it was. You had to find that dress.
Speaker 2: I loved that it was so simple and she looked like she said everything she wanted to be. She looked hot. She looked hot.
Speaker 1: She did she looked great in this movie. And first of all, this is the other thing I haven't mentioned that we probably should. I thought Elizabeth was incredible in this movie.
Speaker 2: She was great, yes, and stunning, yea stunning. She was stunning.
Speaker 1: But the acting in the movie. As was watching it again, I just remember I just looked at my wife. I was like, she's phenomenal. I mean, she was really really good in this film. Again, the character or lots of problems in Red Flags.
Speaker 2: Sure, but she did a great job doing it. She sold it. It was great.
Speaker 4: She did she get awesome.
Speaker 1: You know, there was a thing online not too long ago where a woman claimed that she had found.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, what happened to that dress? Like what sometimes wardrobe history as it moves on, finds another home and it's like an awesome story. So you found something.
Speaker 1: Well, apparently what happened was it was on TikTok so a woman in twenty twenty one apparently purchased the dress for fifteen dollars on Deepop Is that right?
Speaker 4: I think it's Deepop okay. And she noticed that she bought it.
Speaker 1: Because it looked like the dress from my date with the President's daughter. And then she looked at the barcode and the tag it actually said Disney Pictures on it, so she thought that she had the original dress. So apparently then Elizabeth and we'll let her tell the story down the line when we bring her on. But apparently then Elizabeth said, that's I don't see that's possible, because I still have the dress. She thought she still had it, and then there was a whole thing where she couldn't find it. Then she thought she found it, and then she remembered there were multiple versions of the dress, right, because again, we're kids, so you know it's it's lunch break or whatever, we're going to spill something on ourselves.
Speaker 2: Well, so yes, But on top of that, that's you guys had what maybe two other pieces of wardrobe for the entire movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had that first suit that looked like it was nineteen sizes too.
Speaker 2: Big because it was because it was. But in your defense, that's how people wore suits back then.
Speaker 4: It was also supposed to look like that. I think he's supposed to look at his first date.
Speaker 2: He did looked like it was supposed to look like what you were.
Speaker 3: You borrowed your dad's maybe, Yeah, like he couldn't dress himself.
Speaker 4: He did. That's why she has to dress them.
Speaker 1: Because of course, what men love is when women changed them. So yeah, that was that was an interesting thing. But yeah, the whole dress became so now we're not sure. We think maybe she has one of the many copies of the pink dress.
Speaker 3: Yes, there had to have been multiple copies.
Speaker 2: There was definitely not one. Right, And then when we talk about your gorgeous.
Speaker 4: Mane, Oh, it's it's pretty terrible.
Speaker 2: Was that your choice?
Speaker 4: That was my choice? My hair was always my choice.
Speaker 2: That hair was your choice.
Speaker 4: Okay, I looked like the Dutch boy at the beginning.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was really bad.
Speaker 2: I think when you look back at it, you might say that, But at the time, I mean, you should have had multiple contracts with different hair products.
Speaker 1: Clear well, or at least something, or at least one that handed me a brush because I had I had nothing at that But it was like it just hung down like two drapes.
Speaker 2: There was That's how it was. That's what the guys were doing. You looked like, I mean, but you have great hair, so I think that it was.
Speaker 3: It was wonderful.
Speaker 2: I mean, it could have been gross some guys now the way guys are wearing their hair and they're growing it out, and you're just like, you're not the one to do that. It's the wrong look.
Speaker 3: Keep it clean because your hair texture.
Speaker 2: Is not right.
Speaker 4: You're not the one.
Speaker 2: You were the one. If there was someone who was gonna do it, well, it had to have been you. And I'm glad it was because it looked amazing. You know.
Speaker 4: I had so much fun shooting this movie.
Speaker 1: The things that I remember most from actually doing it, as funny as it is, the thing I remember most is working with Dabney and I almost never got to work with them, but I just remember every chance that I had talking to him about wargames or cloaking Dagger. It was just it was like that same kind of vibe I got from working with William Daniels, when you work with one of these kind of old school actors that have seen it all, done it all. I remember him telling me that he went to VMI, the Virginia Military Institute. He grew up very kind of proper quote unquote, you know, he was taught to be, he told me he was raised to It was yes, sir, no, sir. That's and sitting there absorbing his stories from old school Hollywood.
Speaker 4: It was just it was a blast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you you were just like a sponge.
Speaker 4: Oh man, it's just the coolest thing in the world. But the actual shooting, when you were shooting.
Speaker 1: Anything, night after night after night, your day is entirely flipped. So yeah, so you are going to bed quote unquote at six o'clock in the morning, seven o'clock in the morning, you're sleeping till two or three o'clock in the afternoon. You're waking up, you're having breakfast, you'll have quote unquote breakfast on the set at like five thirty at night, because then you have to get ready because the second it gets dark enough, you start to shoot, because the minute the sun starts to come up, and I mean the minute, you have to be done, because everybody.
Speaker 4: Knows it's no longer the middle of the night. So I just remember that, I.
Speaker 1: Remember our world flipped upside down, and then I have a great, great story. It's one of my favorite stories that has ever happened to me on any shoot I've ever done ever. Okay, so it's three o'clock in the warning ish and I'm in my trailer. Elizabeth and I are having dinner and we're sitting there talking. We're going over the next scenes that we're gonna do. We're all dressed in our outfit and we're ready to go, and I'm about to go out on the set and there's a knock on our trailer door and I open it up and it's Dave Chappelle, and Dave Chappelle is there with two of his friends, and he says, hey, Hey, what are you guys doing? And I recognized immediately from he had already been in men and tights and I said.
Speaker 4: Oh, hey, I know you. You're and Robert and men. You were great.
Speaker 1: He goes, oh, thanks, I said, we're shooting this movie my day with the president daughter. He goes, hey, thanks, can I use your bathroom? And I said sure, And so he and his friends came in. He used the trailer bathroom. They sat down and we talked for like forty five minutes. He was up there shooting Half Baked and we.
Speaker 2: Just completely different kind of movie than you guys were there.
Speaker 4: We were doing Disney movie.
Speaker 1: And he goes He just says, hey, thanks guys, It's so nice meeting. He shakes my hand and leaves three o'clock in the morning the streets of Toronto. Yes, out of nowhere, Chappelle just shows up and uses our bathroom.
Speaker 4: It was It was one of.
Speaker 1: The strangest Hollywood moments I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 4: It was just so bizarre.
Speaker 1: So that's the one I think I remember more than anything else from the shoot.
Speaker 3: You could have never prepped yourself for that.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: That was fun.
Speaker 2: Well, should we get back into the fax machine? Oh?
Speaker 4: I love the fax machine.
Speaker 1: If we're taking it back in time, let's do the fact. Why don't you start with fact tell us what fax machine is?
Speaker 2: All right, the facts machine, where we give you three and a half random facts about this movie. You can either forever use that parties or let's be honest, immediately forget. It's up to you and the hat. Well, this may or may not be true. It's out there online, but can't confirm.
Speaker 1: Well, if I've learned anything, it's that the internet does not lie.
Speaker 2: All right. Though you guys were high school students in the movie. This is a fact that you guys were. You were twenty one and she was eighteen.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, And it's also because obviously child labor laws. They want to work us at night. So if you're under the age of eighteen, you got to have supervision, you've got to have school.
Speaker 2: You can also work longer.
Speaker 4: Obviously whenever they can have cast adults to play kids. That's what they do.
Speaker 2: You are probably going to know the reference to this movie, so you do the second one for sure.
Speaker 4: Oh, I've got a great one with this too.
Speaker 1: So the movie that Duncan and Halle are watching in the theater during their date night was called Class of Newcomb High and it's from nineteen eighty six and it's a Tromo movie. And so that was a company that made these great toxic Avenger Class of Newcomb High kind of movies. And they are low budget, slasher, gore, funny, high school crazy kind of horror movies. And the thing that's so interesting is the first television show that I ever did in my life was a show on Nickelodeon called Don't Just Sit There. And our prop guy was one of the stars of Class of Nukeom High. So we bring it right back to the movie that we saw. There's a guy who gets poisoned. He's a nerd in school who gets poisoned, who starts throwing up all these lizards and stuff like that, and that was the guy who was our prop guy on Don't You Sit There. So Class of Nukem High was the movie we were watching on our date.
Speaker 4: What's the third one.
Speaker 2: That she attacks you in?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That she attacked It was just so abrasive, Holy moly.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: The third one was the gate attendant at the White House who has a few lines, is played by Ron Reagan, actual acting son of former President Ronald Reagan. Yeah, is that really true?
Speaker 4: Yes, that was Ron Reagan. Junior and I remember him coming in.
Speaker 2: Did you get to talk to him at all?
Speaker 4: I did? It was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: I mean it was brief, of course, but how cool that he got that. Yeah, that is that's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Was that neat right?
Speaker 2: Because he am not in not on that set, but actually lived in the house at some point.
Speaker 1: Like it was a cool It was a cool thing that that brought him there.
Speaker 4: And he was again, couldn't have been nicer.
Speaker 1: And you kind of I'm not big into politics, so I wasn't talking to him about too much stuff. But his father was also a legendary actor from back in the day. So you know, not only was Ronald Reagan the President of the United States, but you know, old school actor. So talking about kind of again the old school Hollywood is something that I can do all night long.
Speaker 2: Did he actually act? Did he was he an actor at some us?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah he was.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 4: I forget he'd done other things, but yes he did.
Speaker 1: Ron Reagan Junior was definitely and he was great and he was really good.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And now the point five. I'd love to do the point five if possible, have to, because this is very funny. The Internet Machine reports that TVs to Panga, Yes, Danielle Fischel auditioned for the part of Halle. Now here's the thing. I believe that I've met Danielle Fischel once or twice in my life. She and I have met before. I thought it was Danielle Fichell, but apparently it's pronounced Ficial. She does not remember auditioning for this, but has said it is definitely a possibility. Because if anybody knows Danielle, she doesn't remember much.
Speaker 2: That is pretty hilarious that she may or may not know. She cannot, she cannot, deny, ignore her, conrite her.
Speaker 1: She doesn't, she has no, she doesn't has no memory, but she's like it might be.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing.
Speaker 1: She's five years younger than me, I think, so if I'm twenty one, she's only what sixteen seventeen at the time. So one of the reasons I'm guessing not only because Elizabeth was great, I'm sure Danielle would have been as well, but again, you would have then had a miner on the set, which would have been a whole nother thing. We won't even get into the fact that Danielle and I would have to kiss, and that would have been just totally weird.
Speaker 2: Oh weird. Did you imagine it?
Speaker 4: No, I can't imagine that at all. What was the scene?
Speaker 1: You said there was a scene where you were like, I'm finished with Hallie.
Speaker 4: What was the scene.
Speaker 3: It's the biker bar scene.
Speaker 4: The biker bar.
Speaker 3: First of all, she didn't.
Speaker 2: Help at all with that tire, not one bit. Okay, I would not know what to do, but will I would at least stand there, maybe hold the nuts and the bolts and just kind of okay, nothing be helpful in some way. You can help, clearly because you turn around and she's gone, and she's gone, and then you look around and she's in another bar, another place that she's way too young to be in. And I get that you're wanting to be wild and free, but calm it down, sister. Then you walk in, you have not just like you're not even like camouflaging. I'm just gonna sit here and have my soda, maybe my spike soda. I don't even care. You're not camouflaging at all. You are in the middle with your pink dress, shooting pool, creating a scene. Anyway, I don't are we gonna break it? Down. Yeah, we breaking this down right now?
Speaker 4: Do you want to break it down? Please break it down with the scene down. Break the scene down for me?
Speaker 2: Why, like, why is no one noticing, not one person notices the President of the United States daughter is in this bar? Not one?
Speaker 1: Well, nobody notices that she's the President of United States daughter the entire night, right, Nor do they notice the President of the United States later in the film, right, yes, which is obviously makes makes no sense whatsoever. But we're sticky with Halle first, so nobody notices that she's the President of United States's daughter. But about forty five minutes into the movie, we end up in a biker bar because of course that's like you do when you break down, And so she goes in there in the midst of everybody.
Speaker 4: Not denigrating bikers.
Speaker 1: I'm sure bikers are wonderful people, but maybe not the safest place in the world for somebody to go in, an underage person to go into one of these bars.
Speaker 4: Right, And like you said, that pink dress, she knew.
Speaker 2: What she was doing with that being dressed. She knew it all along.
Speaker 4: So what's what's the goal here for Halle?
Speaker 2: I experiencing something she knows that she most likely is never going to leave the White House ever again after this night, So like, let's go okay at all? I guess that's what it's got to be.
Speaker 4: Okay. Is that a legitimate reason to throw yourself in the middle of a biker bar?
Speaker 2: No, listen, I I was too scared to do. I mean, I'm not gonna say I was an angel, but like getting caught of stuff when I was growing up was like my mom and dad, everyone knew in the area that I grew up, so I couldn't imagine of.
Speaker 3: Like actually doing any of this. No, of course it was aout getting.
Speaker 1: Caught, but you also were you one of those people like me where it wasn't about getting in trouble, it was about disappointing your parents. You didn't want to disappoint your parents? Or do you not want to get into trouble?
Speaker 2: I hate being in trouble, and the part of it is, of course the disappointment, but like just the actual moment that it happens, and when it like when your throat goes down and out of your body, like you pee it out a little bit, because it's just like so devastating. Yes, no, I hate it.
Speaker 4: So you're a rule follower as much as.
Speaker 2: I can be, I don't. I surely make sure that I'm not doing stuff like this where I'm obviously gonna get caught like choices. If I'm gonna do it, you got you gotta make better choices somewhere. Okay, Well, can we go back?
Speaker 1: I mean I don't mean to run back, and we won't break down the scene entirely, but at the club alien scene.
Speaker 4: Yes, so this is pre biker bar, right.
Speaker 1: She has already shown right away that she will ditch Duncan to dance with Steve Ellinger, who, let's be honest, not the most dangerous looking guy, a little bit stiff, weird, leather jacket.
Speaker 2: Works name for the Hawk guy.
Speaker 3: By the way, that is not a hawke gy name.
Speaker 4: It's not Steve.
Speaker 2: Steven. Maybe maybe Steven, but Steve not saying hey, Steve's out there, love you much less saying that. But I'm saying, like any of the Steve's out there, I know, if you got to choose your own name, it wouldn't have been Steve. You'd go for dunk and hotter than Steve.
Speaker 1: But she just bails on Duncan, whenever she wants to to go off with other dudes.
Speaker 2: But will what when the bikers are not the bikers, the truckers that you ran over another time when they come up, do you realize and you run around the corner? You dropped her like a bad habit.
Speaker 4: Like, oh you see how fast I ran? It was dunk.
Speaker 2: You're out and you were like looking around the corner, And I was like, all right, yany at that point.
Speaker 4: She was on her own as far as I was concerned.
Speaker 2: Hey, and she deserves it. I'm just saying she did just drop her like so fast.
Speaker 4: Not My wife said the same word.
Speaker 2: Gone, it was like all you saw was your hair whoosh, and you were out. That was it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My wife said the same thing. She's like, wow, you just hid behind that guy.
Speaker 2: I didn't grab her wrists, nothing out.
Speaker 4: Yeah that was it.
Speaker 2: But it worked in your favor because this little like nemesis guy that was the vice president's son who's been annoying her and wanting to take her on dates.
Speaker 3: This is when she got.
Speaker 2: To get get him to be the person that got beat up versus juice.
Speaker 1: So that's great, a little payback, a little payback, which is great Okay, now Here's the other thing I found was very interesting with with kind of their relationship.
Speaker 4: Is that.
Speaker 1: A lot of times in these movies and Disney Channel movies and or Wonderful World of Disney kind of movies, it's not till the very end that something happens that one of the characters reveals that they've been lying the whole time, or they've been making something up, whereas Duncan has is kind of going on through the movie, is saying like, I lied to you.
Speaker 4: I'm not a rock climber. I lied to you.
Speaker 1: I don't do karate I made He even tells her I made this bet, Like he didn't have to tell her that. He could have just been like, let's go to the dance and then to me. A typical Disney Channel movie is they go to the dance. At the dance, she finds out that he made this bet.
Speaker 2: Yes, Duncan was very honest. He was honest. Do you know he is an honest guy? First of all, the lie, he really exposed the whole lie where he really only lied about that part of her being with him being with the President's daughter, right, his friends didn't even know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his original bet was just fifty dollars to bring a girl. Right, he could have just shown up with a girl and you could have met.
Speaker 2: Somebody at that biker could have just kind of halfway told the truth. For some reason, Duncan is kind of dumb and says the whole thing to really piss her off.
Speaker 4: He does well because he's he's the honest character of the film.
Speaker 5: Guy.
Speaker 3: He so sees she was awful.
Speaker 2: She was awful to him.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, is Halle your least favorite character of the film, then no, who's your least Who's your least favorite.
Speaker 4: Character in the film? Because I know mine right away.
Speaker 2: Mine would be your little sister.
Speaker 4: Thank you, the little sister who just.
Speaker 2: Feel bad because I'm sure she's a great actress. So you know, I have to always back pedal.
Speaker 4: It's the good character character.
Speaker 2: Yes, was so unnecessary, and all throughout the movie, I kept going, here were my questions. Why at your at your parents' business party that they're having at their house. Are you in a nightgown?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Why do you keep eating all of these appetizers?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why are you now at the benefit? Why are you at the benefit you should? Why did your parents not get you a sitter, like, we're gonna go take care of what's going on with your brother. Here's a sitter.
Speaker 4: The ninety people at the house right isact.
Speaker 2: They're all gone. Someone could have watched her. Why is she there? Like it just kind of was like, and I kept again, she's one of those characters you keep thinking, because she keeps popping up. There's gonna be a reason. She's gonna save the day, She's gonna do this. She really only kind.
Speaker 3: Of just had these sarcastic, little funny things that.
Speaker 1: Weren't that funny and kind of annoying. And again, I don't blame her the actress. I'm sure it was the totally the character.
Speaker 2: Just didn't understand. And then I feel like the other characters that kind of had more than what was necessary were the two that stole the car.
Speaker 4: Yeah they were.
Speaker 2: However, they did combine your sister and the thief, and they both nicknamed the President of the United States.
Speaker 1: Mister p Yeah, you're right. I didn't notice that they both gave him rastick.
Speaker 3: Name, and that was it was so strange to me. I just didn't make sense.
Speaker 2: But unfortunately, yeah, it was your little sister. I think you could have been an only.
Speaker 4: Child, an only child with a different date. That's what you're saying. It's a whole different movie you could have been. Okay.
Speaker 1: So the other question, did you not like the leather jacket I was in? Or did you like the leather jacket I was in? Because you never actually addressed that.
Speaker 2: I felt like the leather jacket was like super appropriate for the time.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, good, So then you liked those.
Speaker 2: I assumed, like, like I'm going to you know, be honest, I really wasn't going out much in nineteen ninety eight, like that much, but I do remember there being lots of leather jackets in fashion, so I just took it as that.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: What I thought about the whole time is, man, I wonder if he got to pick this leather jacket that he probably wore for like five months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nope, every day for five months. Didn't pick the leather jacket.
Speaker 1: No idea where that leather jacket is and certainly not nearly as iconic as the pink true no, because it just.
Speaker 2: Looked like, you know, a normal leather jacket was. It wasn't a standout piece, but it was great. Your hair was more of a standout piece than that.
Speaker 4: I think that's probably true.
Speaker 1: One now, when we get to later in the film, one of the scenes that people talk about all the time as well is the kissing scene where we're in front of the Lincoln Memorial. And again, because it's streaming on YouTube, I do not know how different it looked.
Speaker 4: Back in the day.
Speaker 1: Yes, but wow, it looked fake, and of course it was, but it looked it wasn't so bad when we're on the steps and the Lincoln Memorial was behind us, But when it cut to the other angle and it's the reflection pool, it looked like it was paint by numbers.
Speaker 4: It looked really bad.
Speaker 2: I I'm a little embarrassed right now because when you were in front of it, I was like, oh my gosh, cause that was one of my questions, like did it shoot in DC? And then I was like, oh my gosh, it did they he got to do a scene in front of the Lincoln. Oh my wow, wow. I thought it was real on the phone the first time I watched did I was watching on phone when I streamed it on my TV on YouTube. Different But when I right now, because you thought it looked so fake, and I was like, whoa, that's pretty cool. I will say it didn't look as great when it went back, but I was like, I mean, but yeah. I fully was like, wow, Will, I can't wait to see. Oh my gosh, what else did you do that day? Like do you remember the day that you got to that's pretty epic. I can't imagine they allow very many people to just film in front of that.
Speaker 4: Like you know that Jaws and Et were robots, right? Those were fake?
Speaker 2: I know I said for that, but again, I was watching it on my phone. When I watched it on the TV fair enough then it was but on the phone, and I was like, what I mean, Okay, now I feel pretty awesome right now? Can we move on? There's got to be something to move on quickly.
Speaker 1: That is my favorite thing ever. I was gonna say one thing because I wanted to bring this up, and this was something that I very rarely noticed, but I noticed, and I really liked the kiss. Sometimes the kisses in these teen movies go a little too far or they're a little too fake.
Speaker 4: It's one of the two. It's never and I thought our kiss was actually very nice.
Speaker 1: I thought it was it wasn't too long, it wasn't too passionate, it wasn't too crazy, it wasn't cold.
Speaker 4: It was like a real kind of first kiss.
Speaker 1: And it's because I also realized that's the only time Elizabeth and I ever kissed, so it was your kiss. No, I think we probably did it from both angles.
Speaker 4: Ok, but it was.
Speaker 2: Did it feel awkward? Do you remember it? I did it.
Speaker 3: I did a kissing scene once.
Speaker 4: You've only done one kissing scene twice.
Speaker 2: I did it twice, once as it's Cheetah girl, and then twice is like being able to do it as like an adult.
Speaker 3: I didn't like either of those experiences, I'll be honest.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, there's.
Speaker 2: So many people. It's so weird. It felt I felt like I was in junior high doing the first kiss again because so many people were watching, and it was like, oh weird, but so a couple angles for you, right yeah, Okay. However, the hug immediately, it was like kissing the hug was weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the hug was weird, like it was like a.
Speaker 2: It was like, don't want to hug you. That was awkward, Okay, see you later, Like, which is.
Speaker 4: So strange because the kiss, the kiss, the hug was not.
Speaker 2: The hug was awkward. It was it was kind of like, yeah, you almost hands you did a handshake or a half time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well again, I'm still wondering if I want to date this girl after everything she's put me through.
Speaker 2: Well, that's where I was going, like maybe you We're like, okay, I want to kiss because obviously she's she's good looking girl. Now now I get some clout with my friends, but I'm not really quite sure about you anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: On Boy Meets World, we kissed a different girl like every week, so they at that point kissing your character did, and Riders and Danielle and Ben were making out for and then Rider and Trino were I mean, there was so much kissing on our show, kiss of face sucking on her man, okay, so that I was just used to it, all right.
Speaker 2: So then you have that big ending scene with Damney Coleman outside of the school. He arrives in this limo. Everyone instantly knows something BIG's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: They probably have no idea really that the President of.
Speaker 2: The United States just called you out of class.
Speaker 1: But it was that was just the two of us together, and it was amazing, and we were outside of an actual school where we shot all that. That was so all the stuff we shot inside the school was actually in a school, and that this was the real front.
Speaker 4: Of the school. And he pulls up in the limo.
Speaker 1: And we got to do a scene just the two of us, and it leads to another great story that I have is my it's a fun Dabney Coleman story. So we finished the film. It comes out, it does, people loved it. Maybe about eight or nine years later, I am on the Warner Brothers lot and there for something.
Speaker 4: I forget what it was. I think it was an audition something like that.
Speaker 1: And I'm walking past a bank of trailers and I look inside as I'm walking by, and there's Dabney in one of the trailers.
Speaker 4: He's eating his lunch.
Speaker 1: And I walked past and I stopped and I went, no, I have to say something to him. I have to just say hi. I won't bother him. And so I knocked on the door was open. I knocked kind of on the precipice of the door, and I said, excuse me, mister Coleman.
Speaker 4: I don't mean to interrupt you.
Speaker 1: He looked over as I as if I was some pa or somebody coming to pick him up to get him to set right. And I said, I don't know if you remember this, but my name is Wilfredell. And we did this movie called and he went my date.
Speaker 4: With the President's daughter. Will How are.
Speaker 2: You getting here? Wow?
Speaker 1: And he invited me into his trailer and I sat down and again like the Dave Chapelle thing, we talked for like a half an hour as he was eating his lunch, asking me how I was doing. Oh man, how much fun was it to work on that film? And he just could not have been a nicer. It was such a wonderful experience. So that was the guy he was. He was had that gravitas about him, incredible actor who'd done these amazing things, but was also this giving actor.
Speaker 4: He was kind. It was totally cool. So that was one of my favorite.
Speaker 1: That's like, even with working with him, that moment of sitting in his trailer and just talking about the film is like my favorite Dabney Coleman moment.
Speaker 2: It was so cool, And you know what he probably he seems like just hearing these few stories about him from you, he probably would have been so upset if you found out later on that you walked by and didn't say hi, right, Like, how many times do you get to be on set working and see other people like you go and you know, even though you guys don have like a crazy relationship tight filming together all the time, you were part of a great movie and then you go off and you don't. You don't get to see a lot of people all the time that you work with.
Speaker 4: If ever again, if ever?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And it's not like there was social media back then where you like click and like and kind of stay connected. It's like he probably would have been so bound being like what we'll just walk by.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, it was so cool, it was. Yeah, I mean I haven't seen Elizabeth since.
Speaker 2: Oh I cannot wait.
Speaker 4: So again, this was nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: So this interview is gonna veer Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean when we this will be the first time we'll be we'll speak in person or even ever, I think since the film ended.
Speaker 4: So we did the press stuff and that was it. I haven't seen her since.
Speaker 2: Cause again, like so it works. It's just how the industry is.
Speaker 3: It's you know, you work, work, work, work, work.
Speaker 2: You move on to the next thing, and yeah, but speaking of.
Speaker 1: Next thing, right, it got a great segment that we're calling What's Next, And it's where you and I are gonna work together to figure out after the film what happened to the main characters, like did they stay together?
Speaker 4: Did they break up? What I mean?
Speaker 1: Okay, so the film ends, we get to go on another great date. There's the great ending where the music swells again and you hear me say, man, I can't believe we got a chance to do this again.
Speaker 4: Your dad's a great guy. And the car pulls out.
Speaker 1: It's instantly flanked and surrounded by Secret Service black vehicles, and then a helicopter flies overhead while the My Date with the President's Daughter theme song plays epic, awesome, amazing. What happens the next day? Now, I know you seem to think that he's dropped her like a hot Is she.
Speaker 4: Back in the biker bar or what happens?
Speaker 2: No, I think by the end of the movie, when she's finally seeing you, I think the biker bar actually did open her eyes a little bit to the magician in you. That magic that you just have got, the magic, Yes, nice, exactly, it's that you know. Then after you save her from her terrible decision to get on a bike with Steve, and then you save her from that and you expose by the way, you expose your Michael Jackson socks that you were wearing that nobody knew until you fell on the grass.
Speaker 1: My what what are Michael jacks You can't.
Speaker 2: Just throw that socks on with your dress shoes?
Speaker 4: Oh is that what he would wear?
Speaker 2: Your roll when he tosses you. By the way, I was nervous for you, because you really got tossed around.
Speaker 4: I got to do stunt stuff. It was great.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask you stunt double.
Speaker 4: Or no, no, that was me all all everywhere. It was so cool.
Speaker 3: Well, that was awesome. You did a great job.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: When you do the final to the grass, you expose these bright white socks.
Speaker 3: Yes, stressed shootes a great moment.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: So anyways, you definitely did that. However, Okay, she decides to grab the helmet goes home. So by the time you guys can get to the movie, I do think she's now seen your worth and okay, and that this is the kind of guy that you really can can have this life. Because again, does the president. Does he get reelected?
Speaker 4: See, I think he doesn't get reelected, or.
Speaker 2: She's still stuck in this role of being the president's daughter anymore.
Speaker 4: Who knows. I think he does, right, I think he gets re elected.
Speaker 1: I think he loses the election and Duncan starts dating Olsen's daughter next, Oh, who.
Speaker 4: Was the one he was running against. That's what I think happens there. That's that's what happened.
Speaker 1: You find out that Duncan is actually this weird sociopath that just wants to date president.
Speaker 2: He's got a list, he's actually.
Speaker 4: Thirty eight list exactly, very strange.
Speaker 1: She's dated them all, Chelsea Clinton, you name it, he's been out with them.
Speaker 2: Oh man, this movie could have really been built around Chelsea Clinton. Right.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's kind of was the vibe because this was ninety seven. Yeah, so this is this is Pete Clinton. So yeah, I think I think that's bad. I think she was kind of the model of what it was. This the didn't have any brothers or sisters. So you're going through it alone, child, Yeah, stuck, gonna think you're everywhere you go as public, Yeah.
Speaker 2: By yourself, no one anywhere near your age, to understand anything exactly right.
Speaker 1: It's got so yeah, I think they modeled it after her, but that's interesting.
Speaker 2: And so yes, I believe she finally grew herself into the person that was worthy of Duncan. That's where I'm at.
Speaker 4: So it's her growth story. I like that now she's worthy of Duncan.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 4: I'll take it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have a game, yes, that we're going to be playing every week that's called add a Maury. And okay, let's say that you want to add a member of the Disney Legend family the Maury's whether it be Tia Tamara or taje one or all, but we have to.
Speaker 2: Add Yeah, isn't it Maori Tia?
Speaker 1: See I thought that too, But recently I saw an interview that they did where I think it's Tia who says it's actually Maury, which so upsets me because I worked with Taj for years on Kim Possible, and I hate to think that I was mispronouncing his name all the time. You think of everybody who's been calling me Friedel, and I know that it's like you, you don't want to correct them, So I hate to think I've been mispronouncing this name, but apparently it's more wow.
Speaker 4: Right, we've all been wrong, and I think they know better.
Speaker 1: Than we do.
Speaker 2: Well now they appreciate us obviously on this podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, correcting everyone.
Speaker 1: So what we're gonna do is the Disney legend, the Maury's of course we're talking about you know, Tia, Tamara, and taj If you had to add to this film one or all of them, how do you add Amory to my date with the President's daughter And I've got something you do, okay, Okay, So I think what could have been interesting is adding at least one scene, if not to where Hallie actually has a best friend on the outside, and it's either Tia or Tamara, okay, and whether you do it through phone calls or they meet at the mall, like maybe she's kind of helping her do some of the stuff she needs to do, Like I can help you get away from the Secret Service, because the Secret Service in this film shouldn't be protecting a bottle of milk, let alone the president of the United States of America. It's it's horrifying to watch the greatest, literally the greatest armed bodyguards in the history of the world reduced to the President's Daughter movie. This was not a good look for them, so I think, you know, maybe making it a little more difficult to get away from them. And she has somebody in the outside who's kind of helping her, Like she reaches under the chair at the movie theater and there's like something there for her that Tea left her that could like help her get out. Ah wow, Like something like that could be like a cool kind of way in corporate.
Speaker 4: That's how I would add a Maori how about you?
Speaker 2: For me? I would add an adult Mallory and Tierra Tamara an adult one yeah right, like yeah as they are now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I love them.
Speaker 2: I love them.
Speaker 4: That's why we want to add them to every film we can exactly.
Speaker 2: And she one of them would have been a campaign manager, the campaign managed it, a woman campaign man. Nice, get me the now. Taj those stays little. I like Taj little and dorky. I like him to be like that little dorky character. And he would have had some funny just a cameo in the oh uh CD store. In the CD store, I had a funny, awesome like moment there. It would add to be a little bit of an extra or extended scene. But that's where he would have been for me interesting.
Speaker 1: I would have had him as a little kid walk in and slap the snacks out of that girl's hand and just go.
Speaker 4: Stop it and walk out. That would have been it.
Speaker 2: Cut it out, it out well.
Speaker 4: So, okay.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I've noticed as you and I are becoming better and better friends is that and this is a perfect example of the way you were pointing stuff out in the mall that I never would have seen. Is that Sabrina sees things that I don't see. So we have a segment here we're doing that's just called Sabrina sees Sabrina, What did you see in this movie that I'm sure I did not, because I think these are important.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad that you mentioned that we are becoming better and better friends.
Speaker 2: Yea, because I will say that it was hard to pick it apart just because obviously this is all fun.
Speaker 3: It's not supposed to be offensive.
Speaker 4: Do what you gotta do.
Speaker 2: I know how it is to watch yourself, so it's like you pick everything apart, you know. It was kind of like, oh, he's probably seen this, He's probably seen that. This is the first one is going to go back to that gorgeous, gorgeous head of hair you got, so that this is this is a tribute to that. You basically shot two hair commercials during this movie, and I didn't know if you knew that, you should have definitely had a sponsorship. As I said earlier, I did, yes too, full blown. I mean it looked like there was a wind machine. You look like Beyonce. You were selling the luscious locks, the everything. The first one happens right after the car gets stolen. You're out in the middle of the street. You're looking this way, you're looking this way, you're looking behind you, you're looking to the breath. The whole time. Your hair is slashing, swashing, and then Hallie is like, oh no, you're not taking this away from me. I'm looking this way too. So it was blonde and net and blonde. I mean it is like here everywhere, everywhere, everywhere, right, and you guys are just trying to figure out how.
Speaker 3: This just happened to you. That's the first one.
Speaker 2: The second one is right after you were on TV and now you're running from the agents.
Speaker 3: The agents have actually finally found you, and.
Speaker 4: Because we went to where they are.
Speaker 2: Yes, you went to exactly where they would be. You got on a camera which is definitely being shown on TV. Yep, expose yourself. Now they see you gotta go start running and the way and you're not doing it. It's just happened to be that you're both of your I mean, her blonde locks are swinging, yours are swing. I mean, it's it's part two of your commercial. Like I said, two different two different times, it was pretty magical. Like both times it was just so much air and just had to I hope everyone really gets a chance to go watch this and see how gorgeous and how again you should have been sponsored by Panteine pro v. That was probably that.
Speaker 4: Was big, big one back then. Soon Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: That that had it all over. If this was happening now, it would have been. I mean it's not for the movie, definitely for your Instagram, right, Okay?
Speaker 4: Love that.
Speaker 2: The second is I don't know if you know this or not, but you got engaged twice during in this movie.
Speaker 4: I got engaged twice.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you have. It starts off in the beginning of the movie where you had like it was like a little gumball game thing where you grab this ring. You see this ring that like has a little hologram the eye opens and closes right.
Speaker 4: A little winking at you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then you guys have this horrific night.
Speaker 2: Hallie has completely treated you like garbage, and you have still stuck with her because Duncan again, I keep saying you too, Dalkin has still stuck with her, and he's just a great guy. You go up on the rooftop, you admit that you have no experience in any of the things that you've told her that you have. He's honest, expert on you are being honest, and then you bring out this ring, which was cute and you know, especially I think a lot of girls can either say their friend or them got like a like a little promise ring or a ring from a boy at some point. But she legit puts it on her ring finger, her engagement ring finger.
Speaker 4: Does she really?
Speaker 2: Yes? I rewind it multiple times to see that yes, she in fact puts it right there, and then she's playing with it as you guys are dancing. She's excited because she's engaged. She's only known this guy for one day and it's wonderful. He then tells her about the thing and then boom, ring engagement is over.
Speaker 4: When did we get engaged again?
Speaker 2: In front of in front of the iconic linkine.
Speaker 4: Front of a real Lincoln memorial.
Speaker 2: You hold her ring back out and proposed to her yet another time, and she puts it right back on her ring finger. I'm like, guys, these kids are kids and they're getting engaged. So you got engaged twice? That was so congratulations.
Speaker 4: Well, with all the hair commercial money, we're going to be living.
Speaker 2: Well, we're living the dream.
Speaker 1: Now we come down to it, let's rate the film again. Let's what are we doing?
Speaker 4: It on a scale of one to ten?
Speaker 3: I think one to ten is a great rating.
Speaker 1: And again, we're this is our first episode, our first movie ever, so it's difficult to just throw it out.
Speaker 4: Let's do let's let's call it one to ten pink dresses.
Speaker 1: One pink pink dress is a bad movie. Ten pink dresses is a night at a biker bar. One to ten pink dresses. And it's so difficult because we have nothing to compare.
Speaker 3: It to, right first movie we've we've done, so.
Speaker 4: How many pink dresses do you give it?
Speaker 2: You know? I again not to you know, just because you're my boy, And I don't want to pump too much, but I would, honestly, and I you know I can't. I'm too fickle to do just solid numbers. I need a point five option.
Speaker 4: Of course, I really.
Speaker 2: Think, you know what, I'm not even I'm gonna go nine. I think we hit it.
Speaker 4: Really, you're gonna go with a nine?
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't, because I don't know what really when it's a movie about this, it's about young love, it's a you know, a rom com like on the channel. There's got to be that little cheese factor, you know what I mean to me, it had all of the right formula to make a really great rom com for the family.
Speaker 4: That's impressive.
Speaker 1: I am reserved in my of myself just because of It's like looking at my own performance. Obviously, I have trouble grading it super high because I know I as an actor, you just want to go back and oh I want to do that scene again, or oh I want to do Oh I wish I could rewrite this one thing.
Speaker 4: But I still think it. Still think it was good. I do.
Speaker 1: I think it was a good movie. I think it was a good family movie. I think again, the pink dress iconic. The theme song totally iconic. I think it moved well, you know, it wasn't. It didn't wasn't dragging. I didn't sat and sit there kind of going like, man, this movie is taking forever, which is important. Yes, I'm gonna go I'm gonna take your point five and I'm gonna go seven point five.
Speaker 2: For this, all right, Yes, And I couldn't allow you to do that because I know we're gonna do. Yes, I'm gonna have to do this, and I'm yeah, give it like a four.
Speaker 1: Right, and I'm gonna be like, you're crazy because it's great.
Speaker 3: So I'll let you you the seven point.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna guse seven and a half pink dresses. Although the dress is yeah, the dress is so small. I don't know how you get half address out of that because it's already half a dressed.
Speaker 4: But it is iconic.
Speaker 1: Well, that's it. That's our first one in the books. And we started with a doozy. We started with My Date with the President's Daughter from nineteen ninety eight, a film that is near and dear to my heart.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad I got a chance to watch it again.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you and I got to break this down together because I love hearing a that you watched it back in the day. Yes, and how so how it's changed from when you were a kid to now was super cool to hear.
Speaker 4: I love that's awesome. I think that's really really cool. Next week, do I get to announce what we're doing next week?
Speaker 1: Or would you like to announce the movie that we're doing next week?
Speaker 4: What would you like to do there, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I mean I would. I guess I'll take it.
Speaker 4: I think you should.
Speaker 2: You know what this franchise means a lot to me. And it's my turn to watch the Cheetah Girls, Yes, the original og Cheetah Girls first movie. I will say I have not watched this in a very long time, okay actually, because you know it's hard to watch yourself without yeah teaking it. But I will say my daughter has definitely seen all of the little music videos that we do in the first one, especially the end finale. She okay, definitely knows that song. So it's been kind of cool in that way. But you can see this on Disney Plus and let's get some groul power going.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, Well, we're gonna have to get into all this.
Speaker 2: Next week, so you're gonna have to let me know what you think about the Cheetah Girls, the Fastest Feeline, and the Jiggy Jungle.
Speaker 4: I am already so looking forward to this.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait to be there in the next episode, and hopefully you are all gonna be there with us in the next episode two as we do the Cheatah Girls. I cannot wait for my first time ever. Thank you so much for joining us for episode one of Magical Rewind. It's been such a journey to get here. We're so glad and we're hoping you're going to join us in the future because we're gonna have a lot of fun. If you want to hit us up, make sure you go to at Magical Rewind pod that is on Instagram. Let us know what movies you want us to do, because we're as you can tell, we're.
Speaker 4: Going out of order. We're just gonna be picking new ones, old ones.
Speaker 2: Even if it's the worst one on your list.
Speaker 4: Shout it out.
Speaker 2: We want to watch it.
Speaker 3: We want to watch everything everything.
Speaker 1: We're here with you, hopefully you're here with us, and don't forget we're sitting here watching movies.
Speaker 4: We're not watching films, so join us next week. Bye.