Speaker 1: Really now, really, really.
Speaker 2: Now, really hello, and welcome to really no really, but Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden remind you that people who subscribe to our show live happily ever after, no matter where they go in the world. And speaking of going places in the world, have you ever pondered to leaving your home country permanently? Maybe an international job cut your eye, or maybe you're moving because of family or to pursue a relationship. No matter the reason, the percentage of people actually considering leaving the country to relocate permanently has risen over ten percent since twenty eleven. Really, no, really, and perhaps not by coincidence, become an expatriot is actually easier now than ever before. This, of course, opens up a lot of questions. Which country is right for you? Are their secret methods to gain permanent residency? What is the overall process? What are the costs?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: To answer these in a myriad of other travel questions, we've turned to the world renowned travel detective mister Peter Greenberg, a multiple Emmy winning travel news journalist, the travel editor for CBS News, and an acclaimed investigative reporter. If you're thinking of getting out today, we'll show you how to get it going. And now here's two guys that no other country seems to watch.
Speaker 1: Jason and Peter on the road again.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, don't have money, you're going to spend money on the road.
Speaker 1: Do you thank much different melody?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that wasn't That wasn't the road again that you know? That was a different road. That's a different road, and it's not a road. I'm excited for one of the travel experts of all time. He's on every time you turn a different channel. I don't how many shows he has, but Peter Greenberk, he's traveling, he's writing a book, he's here, he's doing hotels, Secrets of Hotels. Right, it's he's amazing, And well let me give his real boy, I'll give his real by multiple Ammy winning Frontline, Travel News Journalist, Investigative Reporter, Production line.
Speaker 4: By the way front Line, I wrote that front no author known in the travel industry.
Speaker 1: Isy, I'm a detective. Oh h.
Speaker 3: He broadcasts breaking news, investigative reports, CBS Travel Editor additionally Travel Detective with Peter Greenberg the Royal tour Ion travel is a documentarian and the thing that most people but.
Speaker 5: You left out the US Travel Association's Hall of Hall of Leaders.
Speaker 1: He was, I didn't.
Speaker 5: You can't get into that organization.
Speaker 1: No, you can't get out of Peter. Peter, Peter, and I know Peter for thirty plus years. Can I say where you live?
Speaker 3: I can't say where you live, but what you live on or how sure Peter lives. It's my dream and you know this, and the only thing that ruined that dream was my family?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Are you crazy?
Speaker 3: You and I have a marine on a boat and it is a beautiful boat. Yeah, it's amazing. And I just said, I haven't seen him in a lot of years. You still live in a buddy goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, when I first moved out here, I thought, because you know, I'm new to Los Angeles, and what's your big fear when you're new to Los Angeles? I'm going to die in an earthquake? I thought, wouldn't it be great? We're on a boat, the earth shakes, You're fine, you're on the water. My wife said, you never heard of a tsunami.
Speaker 3: Show why we wanted Peter in today other than there's a lot of stuff you're going to learn because I got a lightning round with him.
Speaker 1: And if you travel.
Speaker 3: He's given me some of the best travel tips that are so actionable that I use still to this day. And he gave him to me ages ago. But Jason actually wanted to know the citizens always say when there's no huge election and they're unhappy, or economic times get hard, or I'm leaving. How many friends have we had to say, I'm leaving the country, so help me out. I'm leaving the country. Yeah, and for a variety of reasons.
Speaker 5: Seriously, some people speculate because they don't like the way politics goes.
Speaker 1: They go, I can't abid it. I'm going to make a change.
Speaker 5: Some people go, I want to start life over. I want to a new I'm making the chases a better right. Or I wants vacation in France.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 5: I'm going to buy a house that I'm going to live in France. And my thought was, first of all, really, second of all, they make it.
Speaker 1: Sound like right.
Speaker 5: I have said to my family, hey, you know, if my career really thanks here, we'll go to Australia.
Speaker 1: They love me.
Speaker 5: What we want to know is that's not so easy.
Speaker 1: Potentially it's getting easier by the day. And then really, no really, But what percentage of people that say it actually do it. Well.
Speaker 4: I go back to nineteen sixty eight when my parents said to me, if Richard Nixon wins were moving to Canada only won, we didn't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: And a lot of people are saying that.
Speaker 4: However, now these countries are realizing they can be economically benefited by having Americans come over, so they're giving you what they call golden passports.
Speaker 1: And a golden passport is if you invest. You mentioned Portugal.
Speaker 4: So Portugal had a deal for many years up until last month that if you invested like five hundred thousand dollars, either in a savings account or you bought real estate. After three years you were invested, you became a citizen of Portugal, dual citizenship.
Speaker 1: Right next thing you know, you're living there.
Speaker 4: So the number of American expats is you have left the US and are living permanently in Portugal or London, or Paris or the south of France is growing rapidly.
Speaker 1: Do they all have a similar trope? They don't.
Speaker 3: But Peter so I saw a percentage that said, and it's hard to quantify exactly because we don't know how many people in the country at any given times. Last year said I'm out of here and didn't do it. But the guests I've given was ninety seven percent. Don't you know it's hard ten percent? About ten percent actually go through with it. But what I heard also was when they want to go through with it and you see the amount of paperwork, language barrier, stuff, they cultural barriers, they start.
Speaker 4: Going, oh, it gets daunting. Well, what's even complicating it more is how many Americans?
Speaker 1: Do you think? You even have a passport as a percentage of the population, Right, You're ready? That's really interesting. Yeah, that means fifty nine percent even if they want to leave, they can't. Right.
Speaker 4: And then the crazy thing about the fifty nine percent is they actually think it's a great idea not to have a passport.
Speaker 1: I've got everything I have here on I need in Kansas. Really goodbye? Right.
Speaker 4: So the point is that percentage that you just gave me is see less. Wow wow, Yeah, but you get okay.
Speaker 3: Aside from the money, somebody having the five hundred thous to put in the bank account or to buy the real estate, what else? What else are some of the major restrictions in papers. My understanding was I'm trying to think of friends of mine that have done this. If I let's talk about Australia, because I have. I've been to Australia many times, Peter and.
Speaker 1: I, and they love you.
Speaker 5: They're a nice community there that I feel like I would be comfortable. I could make a living there. But if I just decide I want to go, what would my process be?
Speaker 1: What would I have?
Speaker 4: Got some interesting work rules and the work role they had there is you have to you have to basically justify that you're not taking a job away from an Australia.
Speaker 1: But that's why I'm going. No, but you can probably do.
Speaker 4: That because you get a special exemption because nobody can act.
Speaker 1: The way you act. Uh huh, I got I believe? Did I say that I'm sorry hit the bill.
Speaker 4: Rather?
Speaker 1: Really no? Really no, But that's what they'll do.
Speaker 4: If you can prove that you are qualified to do something, that you're not going to displace somebody else, and that you'll add to the economy, you can make that claim.
Speaker 1: You could do that easily. You're there. Uh huh wow? And what else do you have to do to get there? Money wise? Or do a certain nothing?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: What are the easiest. So, off the top of your head, the top by these youth countries to leave.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm I'm going to turn the tables on you, guys, because the best way to do it is to follow the strength of the US dollar. Where is the US dollar strongest against foreign currencies? So South Africa unbelievable, Argentina unbelievable, Turkey, they continue to devalue their era. The affordability is unbelievable. Right, So in terms of cost of living and standard of living, So you pick the following places right, cost of living, standard living, health care, access to airports right, So you have options right and not to drive on the wrong side of the road. Other than that, you take your choice. And there are a lot of countries that do that. So I read that the top countries are UK, Mexico. More Americans are second homes in Mexico than anywhere else in the world.
Speaker 1: No, that that shocks me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that really shocks me. Why well, and I believe me.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm acting from ignorance, and I've been to Mexico and I had a wonderful time.
Speaker 1: Marking is that the name of the new show Acting from Ignorant? Acting from it's the name of my book. By the way, that is not.
Speaker 5: I my What we hear all the time coming out of Mexico is gangs and drugs and lawlessness and so and I know people that are afraid to go to the high end resorts.
Speaker 4: Because listen to this. Don't get me started on State Department advisories. They're misleading, they're wrong, and they paint with too broad a brush. Right, all those years that Northern Ireland was getting blown up, there's not a single State Department advisory there. But you couldn't go to Israel, right, So then something happened that was called pan am one O three December twenty first night, teen eighty eight, and the US Embassy in Helsinki received credible information four days before that they were going to blow up a US flag carrier in the next four days. What did the US embassy do? Who did they tell? They only told other US embassy personnel. Don't they work for US? So those two hundred and fifty nine people on the plane never had a chance. They went down. And when that news came out that the embassy didn't actually share that information, the needle went all the way over. And then if an American tore a fingernail in Peru. They issued a State Department advisory, right, right, you know what the State Department advisories for Turkey. Americans are warned that Turkish drivers passed on the left and the right.
Speaker 1: Have they been on the four or five? Is that right? I mean right?
Speaker 4: So you have to interpret these differently. Right, So for your friends, don't want to go to Mexico. There are thirty two states in Mexico. How many of them are vacationing in Nuevo Laredo or Ciudad Juarez. The only people vacation there are vacationing American drug dealers.
Speaker 1: Don't go.
Speaker 4: You want to go to can Koon or Tuloom, or you want to go to Puta by Art or Kapas on Lucas, No problem there you go, look.
Speaker 1: At you can I get into some amazing things.
Speaker 5: This is the one thing before you get into amazing I don't want to play. Because you asked about countries, which are the ones to explore, which are the ones to avoid? But what about people who are just trying to relocate within the United States?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 5: Is it a assuming you have the finances to do it is it a fairly easy process for people to move from state to state, and said it's.
Speaker 4: Easier by the day, and sometimes the catalytic reasons are not happy, like the fires here in California. Right, but right now the number three and four states one, two, three and four where people are moving to will surprise you, right, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Nevada.
Speaker 1: The only one. Actually, none of those surprised me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I know anecdotally, I know three or four people that have made the move to Nashville, two or three that has gone to North Carolina, and a ton that at least have a second home in Nevada exactly.
Speaker 3: Now, some of that's for tax reasons. So Peter did a thing from me years ago. I never forget this. It was at first you gave me two tips on travel that I'll never forget. One was when you go to the airport to the op it's like the opposite episode of Seinfeld that you were in. I'm not familiar. It's if you're dropping somebody off, drop them off at arrival if you're doing and then I pay attention to no airport signs.
Speaker 1: So that's that.
Speaker 3: But then the best one go up to the gate desk and ask the plane's coming in to pick me up, what's the tail number on that plane and where is it right now? So if you know that that plane's supposed to be here in about twenty minutes and it's in Guam, that Peter said, go to the next desk, pick up a phone and book another flight. It's never getting here and they're not going to change that on the board until the last minute.
Speaker 4: And you're not letting Those departure boards have not told the truth since the Titanic, right, and they.
Speaker 1: Were lying then to it right more the arrival board on that one. But that is not amazing. Let me tell you.
Speaker 5: So Peter is sick to death of hearing about my cousin Steven, who for.
Speaker 1: Many years I have not heard this. So go ahead.
Speaker 5: When we were we were in Hawaiian, my family and I as these fires hit. Yeah, and now flights are getting so we get a thing. Your flight is delayed two hours, and okay, but please come to the airport on time. An hour before we're going to leave the airport. They go, your flight is delayed four hours, but definitely come. So I now call my cousin the pilot, and I go, what's the story. He goes, what flight do you want to go? Blah blah blah, and he goes, yeah, your flight has not left the tarmac in New York.
Speaker 1: It is nowhere near there.
Speaker 5: And by the way, when you get when and if it gets to Maui today, they'll be timed out. That's right, crew will not work.
Speaker 4: And he goes, you're not leaving today, right, book flight I carry with me and old they still publish this something called the OAG stands for Official Airline Guide.
Speaker 1: It's this big.
Speaker 4: It's like the old Sears and Roebuck catalog, right, but they have pocket editions. But you couldn't put it in your pocket anyway. It lists every published flight in the world. I keep it in my carry on bag. I don't go on the internet. I don't make the phone call. Something's the problem. I just opened the book and I know exactly where I'm going. Yeah, because there are secret flights everywhere. You don't know that there are plans. There are flights out there. Okay, go ahead, No, they are flights out now. I'll give you an example. I was going between South Paulo and Buenos Aires, pick An airline.
Speaker 1: You think I might have.
Speaker 4: Flown I bery it good idea, Wrong, I'm not okay Turkish? Now what the hell is Turkish Airlines doing? Flying between South Paulo and Buenos Aires. The secret flight plane starts in Istanbul, goes to South Polo, shuttles down to Buenos Aires, goes back to Istanbul.
Speaker 1: They have to move the plane. So those are positioning flights.
Speaker 4: But they're called secret flights as they're allowed to take passengers. Okay, but so how do you find out about positioning flight where they are? There's this time called Peter Greenberg. But the thing is, my airfare in business class on a brand new Triple seven was our bucks. So because they need you could have gone bowling on the plane, right, you want to go from New York to Frankfurt. If they Liftanza or United Singapore, they fly New York to Frankfurt and then continue on to Singapore.
Speaker 1: The best flight ever. Nobody knows. I got to call you. You always did before. Yeah, but how does somebody listening who doesn't have your number? Our website with the most imaginative you have all of those those musicianing plights. Yeah, and the name, of course is Peter Greenberg dot com. We have a committee on that.
Speaker 4: But the thing is, that's the kind of information they don't tell you because they want to sell other seats that are going to give them a higher yield.
Speaker 6: This is why we want to do really, really travel and we're having a meeting with them right right right, Okay, this is exactly him away here the lightning round.
Speaker 3: Some of these may take a little longer answers, but this is everybody listening is going to want to know every day. How do you keep your luggage from getting lost? Okay, there are two kinds of airline bags, carry on and lost. We understand that.
Speaker 4: So if you're going to be stupid enough to carry to check in a bag, you do two things. Number One, you open up the bag and you take a piece of big masking tape or guerrilla tape with a big indelible magic marker. Put your name and phone number on the inside of the bag. Because conveyor belts eat luggage tags for breakfast. Okay, that's number one. Number two, I love now the air tags. I live for the air tags. I've developed an emotional relationship with these air tags. They tell me they missed me. I love them.
Speaker 1: They And you know what, you can tell the airline where your bag is before the airline even knows. And the third thing is who told you where was it? In the manual? You had to buy every bag that was colored black? Right? Oh no, we switch that up, ugliest vomit green and orange for me.
Speaker 3: So tell drip pricing. Explain what that is, and now I avoid died if you can drip pricing. Yeah, drip pricing. We're living in a world of dynamic pricing right now. They change the airfares by the hour, by the second, by the minute. And what they're doing is they're going to publish a fair that you think is the right fair, and the next you know, they're adding other fees that you didn't know they were being added. And it's a tax dodge, right, So you heard of resort fees at hotels.
Speaker 4: Sure, that's a tax dodge because every city has a municipal occupancy tax, highly taxed, so up to twenty one percent in some city. So if it's a two hundred dollars room, forty those dollars doesn't go to the hotel.
Speaker 1: So how are they going to make that up? Stupid resort fee that doesn't get taxes.
Speaker 4: An occupancy tax gets taxes A sales taxes seven percent, so the hotel retains more of that. But they're not telling you that, right, And what they're not telling you is it's all negotiable because they didn't dispose it in the first place. So you can have that conversation.
Speaker 5: I could just see me rolling up in the rich Culton going on, you ever talked to the manager about the drip too?
Speaker 1: But look, if you talk to the manager about that, yeah, guess what they write it?
Speaker 4: They take it off. It's negotiable. Wow Okay, no really, Wow, that wasn't very decisive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, wow, he doesn't like I'm trying to be sensitively.
Speaker 1: Really, book my phone, not online app sobsolutely everybody watching me now and you guys is probably going to do their reservations online. They're losers.
Speaker 4: And the reason why they're losers at the belly Yeah, not.
Speaker 5: Only is he, by the way, innovating the show, but he's running the shop FORMDIA.
Speaker 4: And the reason is what you're seeing on your screen is not all the inventory, right, So what you're seeing is the inventory given to that online travel agent by the travel provider. How many times have you gone on the screen set? Only three seats left? Only two seats left.
Speaker 1: It's a lie.
Speaker 4: It's only three seats left and the allocation they were given right. So the bottom line is search online, pick up the phone to talk to a human being. It's a new concept. But wait now I want to clarify. Yeah, so I don't tend to use xpedis and kayaksient.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 5: If I'm booking on censor, for instance, I go to dolf censor dot com. Is that true on that website as well? Yeah, I'll give you an example.
Speaker 4: I wanted to go from Elliot to Hawaii and the affairs are all like eight hundred and fifty eight bucks round trip. Why because I'm the only guy who playe not a honeymoon couple. Right, Okay, so how am I going to get less money? I called a person otherwise known as a travel advisor, and I said, is there a better way to do it? She turned the map of sit down, and I want La Phoenix, Hawaii for three hundred bucks, say five hundred bucks because there was more availability in thus lights and that did not show up on anybody's screen except hers.
Speaker 1: And you don't mind the extra stop.
Speaker 4: For most people, if you're going to save five hundred bucks for another hour on the ground than Phoenix, why not How to tell if your room is really clean? Well, short of going in there with a black light, the point is you need to talk to the housekeeping guys right before you even get to the hotel. Just says, who's had a housekeeping great? What room am I in? Can you please go inspect it? Nobody ever does that. Wait a minute, as you're checking in, you're saying what, no, not when you're checking in before you even get to that city. A lot of times they'll we assigned the rooms. By the way, which room do you want? That's the key right now. You don't know this, but I'm also a fireman in New York. I've been a fireman since I'm eighteen. I never stay above the seventh floor of any hotel because there's not a fire department in the world that can affective up by a fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they stay at the seventh right, that's number one.
Speaker 4: If you stay above the seven floor because you want a great view, you get a fabulous view of the fire department being unable to reach. So that's the first thing. But there are three questions you got to ask before you get your room key. Number one, that's number one if you stay above the seventh floor because you want a great view. You get a fabulous view of the fire apartment being unable to reach. So that's the first thing. But there are three questions you got to ask before you get your room key. Number one, how close is my room to the construction because every hotel is in a period of renovation, right And if you don't ask that question, you have the keys to the Jackhammer suite.
Speaker 1: That's number one.
Speaker 4: Number two, how close is my room to the ballroom because at two o'clock in the morning, when the lipshit's wedding is over and they're throwing out all the champagne bottles, that's what you're gonna hear. And then number three, the one that I love the best, and you're looking, I know you're gonna look at me with what floors have the booster pumps? Ah, no hotel can maintain adequately strong water pressure. So what they do is on different floors, not also in any floors, just different floors. They'll put in a booster pump. You want a room on a floor with a booster pump because when you go into your bathroom, when you turn it on your shower, it's a fire hose.
Speaker 1: You want good water pressure.
Speaker 5: What do you do you care if they book, if they put you in the room too close to the elevator.
Speaker 1: All as a fireman, I want to get as close to the stairs as they can. The dinging the all night doesn't book.
Speaker 4: It depends on the elevator. Right, No, that's not the problem. But what you got to do though, Okay, I'm going to give you a fire story. Okay, you're in your hotel room, it's two o'clock in the morning, and you hear the fire alarm go off. What's the first thing you do? And you're sleeping?
Speaker 5: I well, if I'm really on my game, I'll put on a robin slippers and get ready to get.
Speaker 1: Out of it. Okay, so you're dead, What would you do? I called down and say, is this a real alarm? Or is somebody tripping on The very first thing you do is neither of those things. The very first thing you do is you roll out of bed and stay on the floor because otherwise the smoke is going to kill you. Number one.
Speaker 4: Number two, you go to the door, you crawl to the door and you put your hand on the door. Sure, if the door is hot, you don't the door. Then you go to the bathroom and you get a towel and you wet the towel and you put it underneath the door so there's no smoke coming in under the door. Then you go in the bathroom and you fill the bathtub because the bathtub and the steam hot water will trap all those toxic particulates that are coming in.
Speaker 1: And then you kiss your askabat and.
Speaker 5: I can't do that in my robin slippers that have provided me.
Speaker 4: You stand up first, you won't have to. If you stand up first, then it's they's smoking the room. Yeah, you'll never get to the over.
Speaker 1: So I've done all of that. And the guy says, it was so many trypty alarms and I got a bad tumble one here. I got sick. Wow on the sixth floor, Yeah, on the sixth floor? Correct? Wow? Wow Wow. Is there still a better time to buy air travel than not during the week? Yeah?
Speaker 4: When you and I first talked about this, it was midnight, one minute after midnight on Tuesday night, like Wednesday morning. And the reason for that in those days was that airfare wars would start over the weekend and they'd cut and match and cut and match, and by Monday they'd be at the lowest fair. Right, But then they gave you twenty four hours to purchase it in those days, so you so all the discount fairs that were purchased on Monday, if they weren't purchased by Tuesday, they evaporated, came back in the system, and you strike and get them. Those days are over because you got to buy them when you buy them now when you book them. So instead do it Sunday night because the computers get all reset on Sunday night.
Speaker 1: Sunday night, call thanks for the room is no Sunday night, go online to research then call can I I'm so fascinating.
Speaker 5: Is this just years and years and years of asking questions or investigative journalists or because you know the answers to questions I didn't know to ask.
Speaker 1: And well, let me tell you how that all happened. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was a correspondent for music for many years. I was the guy with the suitcase in the trunk on my car. I was always flying to the scene of something right, And so it dawned on me very early on that nobody was covering travel and transportation where I was living right as news. So what I did was I thoroughly inserted myself because I had the access as a journalist into the cockpit, into the cabin, into the simulators and coast Guard simulator as well for ships. So if I can't understand the process, I can't explain it to you.
Speaker 1: And so I still do that.
Speaker 4: I still train in the simulators. I used to train like six times a year. Now it's like maybe two. Why so that and I still care my backtag say flight drew on them because I now am I a licensed pilot? No, but if you and I are on the same plane and both pilots had the fish for dinner and it was yeah, And that's happened to me twice.
Speaker 1: What whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 3: Peter green what were we landing the plane?
Speaker 4: No, Peter Greenberg was actually in the cockpit helping them. We had a number, well two things that happened to me. Once in San Diego and once coming back from Hong Kong.
Speaker 1: Well you'd have to do. Well.
Speaker 4: We were on a flight from it was Cathe Pacific from Hong Kong, to LA seven forty seven Max CRO's takeoff, everything was full on that plane, full cargo, full fuel, full of passengers, and I'm sitting up in the front. I also carried a seat in the cockpit, but I'm sitting in the seat. And all of a sudden, maybe eight minutes into the flight, we're in I mean we're in the air. Typhoon comes in. They closed Hong Kong Airport, but that's okay because we weren't going back. We're heading to LA. However, the woman behind me massive cardiac arrest. They asked if there were doctors on board.
Speaker 1: There were two.
Speaker 4: There was a thoracic surgeon from Duke on board and there's another doctor from an hospital in England. So they later out in the galley. The guys who are not knew hours already on the plane. They brought me up into the cockpit. So I was now on company radio relaying from the company doctors and the surgeons to the doctors on the plane in the galley. And then we had to dump fuel, about a lot of fuel and made an emergency landing in Taipei and they save it.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, And did I get any mileage for that?
Speaker 5: I did not how many times on a domestic flight.
Speaker 1: If I travel.
Speaker 5: Twenty times a year on a domestic flight, how many times is there an air marshal on my foot?
Speaker 4: Not many these days. Now, if you're going to Washington, Reagan, or you'll see an air marshal, but you won't know as you do know. They always here's how you find them. They always pre board. They're always sitting in three B with their doctors and their fanny packs and reading their Tom Clancy novel And you go, oh, hello, mister marshall, he's trying to blend.
Speaker 3: You know, what's the hardest airport in the world to land in where every time they land the pilot's stinker.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a couldn't put a pin up there. Yeah, I got.
Speaker 4: Bhutan stuck landing in a salad bowl. And Saint Bart's Saint Bart's in the Caribbean. Oh my god, you're landing on a roller coaster. It's like you don't get a second chance. Oh and the other one is ta goose of Golfa. In the Honduras, there are certain airports that the airlines will not let their pilots fly it unless they've phone copilot like twenty times because it's just she oh yeah, but that's every year course different. By the way, do accidents happen there more? No, because the pilots are still Yeah, that's Phoenix with an approach that takes seven years.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: That's where complacency can happen. So it's a balance. So the other thing, the other thing is then this happened to me. I was in Chicago, and I hate to be a putts when I go to a hotel. But I flew in and I got there late, and I had a reservation, and I'm standing in line it's snowing outside, and the guy in front of me is really upset, and he said, but I had a room.
Speaker 1: I had a reservation. And guy said, I'm sorry, we're booked upcause of the weather. And this went on for a while, and the poor guy took his coat and went and went out. No. I walked up and said, here's the deal. I'm not leaving. I'm not leaving. I have a reservation. Not my fault that the plane got in late. At a reservation. You have a room.
Speaker 3: Give me that room, because I'm telling you right now I'm not leaving. I will stand here as long as it takes. And the guy went and got me a room. Was that an ask an asked by thing to do? Or did they always have her? Because here's fair?
Speaker 1: It wasn't fair.
Speaker 4: Here's what I do. Let's say I show up at a hotel. The guy says, I'm sorry, we are completely sold out. We have not a single room.
Speaker 1: You have a room booked? Okay, okay.
Speaker 4: Even in that situation, I said, let me ask you a question. If the President of the United States were coming right now, would you have a room for him. Well, yes, just called the White House. He's not coming. I'll take his room.
Speaker 1: Now, what he's going to say, it's seventy two thousand dollars. What does he do?
Speaker 4: I get the room? I just I just busted him. They had a room they hold back there to not give you the room in the first place, Well, it depends. Remember there's a tear system, there's a cast system. You know, some of their mega million mile or travelers. They'll hold that room even if it means they'll lose the revenue if you don't show up, because they don't want to piss you off.
Speaker 3: Is there a nicer way to do it than saying the president may be coming, is the vice president? Is there a different I.
Speaker 1: Mean no, no, no, you don't. You do not do that? No, no, no. The day of the smear is no good. What happened you? Look? You go people? Doesn'body drop the fifty? No? Will you stop that? No? The bottom line is people don't not have the art of conversation.
Speaker 4: Right. You don't show up there, you know, gunning for bear. You got to put yourself in their position. But I never do what I'm saying where you got there.
Speaker 1: I try and be nice. I wondered if there's a way to say, come on, man, it's got to be a room in here. You know.
Speaker 4: Well, here's what you do. I'll give you one more thing you can say. This happened to me in Cleveland. By the way, I show up, No rooms available. This is Hopkins Airport. There was a sheriff in there at the airport. I said, okay, I'll take an out of order room.
Speaker 1: What's it? Out of order room?
Speaker 4: The mirror is cracked in the bathroom, the sinks working, right. I just want to bed for the night. I said, you know what, I'll even pay the full rate. I'll take the out of order room. You sign a waiver.
Speaker 1: You're in.
Speaker 5: I'm not going anywhere without Peter.
Speaker 1: Great, I'm going.
Speaker 3: My next trip is going to be called out of order travel. I'm gonna save so much Peter. You're you how many miles a year do you do at this point? About four hundred and fifty thousand. How often are you home? I'm home up there, I mean literally, I live in New York and I live in LA. I'll be in LA maybe five times a year for four days each. I'm in New York probably ten times a year for five days each the rest of the time. So what's the trick? The jetlike trip? I know that's a jet tricky to Japan? How do I beat the jet lights? Okay, here's the thing. If you want to sleep on the plane, you sleep on the plane. You want to work, watch six movies, I don't care. The key is what you do when you land. And that's the challenge.
Speaker 1: No matter where I go, no matter what time I land, I will stay up until midnight local time.
Speaker 4: That means no heavy lunch. It means I have to walk down the street and do shoot hoops whatever. But I'm not going to take that nap. If you take that nap. When you land, no one will see you, including you, for three days, right, and you won't know you won't and then you cycle. You'll wake up the next morning at six am. You'll see maybe four or five hours, and then you do the exact same thing on the return flight. Now, I can't say it's going to work for you, but that's what I do, and it works for me.
Speaker 5: Jerry Seinfeld told me he does not believe.
Speaker 1: In jet lag. I don't believe it's value.
Speaker 5: You think, he said, I got someplace. If I'm tired, I lie down.
Speaker 1: I'm not. I keep going. If I can tough it out, I tough it out. I don't believe in it, and I don't believe in it. Or do a twenty minute power nap in the car ride from the airport, but don't take the nap. What's the best app that you can't live without? In your trow? Flight aware dot Com? Yep, got it on my you already as you're in it. Yep in the cool that's great because where's my plane? Yeah? That's right. You brought you. You're still I'm senior in years and you still got you know, you more than got it. Can you hit the bell one more time. Yep, you bet? Okay, Oh I'm sorry. Remember that game you had to hit the first guy to hit the beforehand your backhanded right, exactly, go ahead, Peter Greenberg.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable, right, un unbelievable really really no, no, really, God, we are where I can see that.
Speaker 1: It's a brand. That's that's thanks for telling what that SuperM.
Speaker 5: So you know what we didn't mention about Peter Greenberg and it rankles me.
Speaker 1: Ranks I haven't heard. Yeah, the word wrankle and I heard it. Okay, wow.
Speaker 5: He also has an em everybody has an m everybody's gonna you have.
Speaker 1: One time, but you have one time, but I have one. I have it, But you know the why I haven't?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 5: They had nothing to do with reality. It was like a mercy Emmy, but everybody.
Speaker 1: Daven Google Heeim is our expert resident producer who also tells us what we've done wrong, what we've heard, what we missed. Did you like Peter Greenberg?
Speaker 7: David, I loved.
Speaker 1: Isn't it great? He's great?
Speaker 5: Let me ask a question, David, if you didn't like Peter Greenberg? And he said, did you like Peter Greenberg? Would you go, you know I didn't care for him. Would you have said that? You know, because you're.
Speaker 1: I'm a master interviewer, and I knew he'd say yes. You know, why how could you not like Peter Greenberg? Don't be an idiot? That mother would say, don't be an idiot? Yeah, all right, so what what? What actually do we need to learn?
Speaker 7: Who is the richest expatriot in US hist?
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that. I like that. I don't know, Okay, the richest expert. All right, give us a clue. Let's see if we can get it.
Speaker 7: I'm going to give you a B, C or D. So you you get to you get to okay A George Clooney who lives in Brition, France, and Lamo.
Speaker 1: B.
Speaker 7: Pablo Picasso, Paris, France.
Speaker 1: See J.
Speaker 7: Paul Getty Surrey England or D Tom Brady.
Speaker 1: Oh, J Paul Getty. I mean, well, here's what I want. I don't get any money way back, and I don't know. I guess it could be Brady, but I'm gonna go with J. PAULA. Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 7: Well, it was just one caveat Brady lives in Boston.
Speaker 1: Oh, so it was a fake.
Speaker 7: It was, well, but he's an expatriot of twenty years, so I thought that I would.
Speaker 1: Get it at Patriot nice smart ass patriots. Really really there even recognis the name Tom Brady? Do you understand travers?
Speaker 5: Minds?
Speaker 1: How didn't really know? Really? Really no? Really? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Ye so but yes, yes, uh, the Peter is correct. The real answer, of course is J. Paul Getty.
Speaker 1: Thank you wow, wow, Well of course he was.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 3: He could have paid way, he could have paid for the year his grandson's ear, but he didn't.
Speaker 1: Is that get Is that the right? G fan? Go? That was J. Paul Getty. That was the ear when they kidnapped him when he refused to pay the answer used and they cut the ear off.
Speaker 4: Don't you don't you remember that? Yeah, that's funny. You spec And now he works at Canters. It's I don't understand, and.
Speaker 3: He goes, what what do you order? It's my good side go to the other day. You always have to go to the left when you go on to your table. I'm still not coming back for a while, David, Thank you very much. Peter Greenberg, thank you. Go to Peter Greenberg dot com. It's it's he's got all these tips that we mentioned, and a mirrored of more like, should you sell a faint tape your bag? Not gonna say, not gonna.
Speaker 1: On the outside, he said, on the inside. On the outside, you know, people wrap their bag and sell it.
Speaker 5: No, but I have got an orange I got an orange belt that goes around a belt, a belt.
Speaker 1: I take it through the handle.
Speaker 5: I take it so and that's just so I can RecA handle and then I have tape around and.
Speaker 3: If the guy behind the cot needs a belt. Thank you for joining us, and really not royally if you didn't like it, what did I just say? You if you liked it half as much as we like doing it, we like doing it quite as much as you like.
Speaker 1: Listen, thank you, Peter Greenberg, say thank you.
Speaker 2: That's another episode of Really you know, Really comes to a close. I know you're wondering what countries are most American ex patriots immigrating too. Well, I'll share s o lugades in a moment, but first let's thank you our guest, Peter Greenberg. You can find him at his website Peter Greenberg dot com, on Instagram and YouTube. He is at Peter Greenberg and on Facebook, he is at Peter Greenberg worldwide. Find all pertinent links in our show notes, our little show hangs out on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and threads at really No Really Podcasts, And of course you can share.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts and feedback with.
Speaker 7: Us online at reallynoreally dot com.
Speaker 2: If you have a really some amazing factor story that boggles your mind, share it with us, and if we use it, we will send you a little gift. Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts. Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bell so you're updated when we release new videos and episodes, which we do each Tuesday. So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts now and now the answer to the question what countries are most American expatriots immigrating too well, A large number of Americanos choose in Mexico. Reasons reported are its proximity to the US warm climate, lower cost of living, and beautiful landscapes. Portugal is emerging as a big destination for those seeking a European lifestyle without the higher costs of other Western European countries it's a neighbor. Spain is attractive for similar reasons. Canada is still a favorite, again for its proximity, but also for its renowned public services, low pollution index, and a reputation for safety. Many Americans go down Under to Australia, with a strong job market, world class healthcare, and a multicultural society.
Speaker 1: Costa Rica is home to.
Speaker 2: Many relocated Americans who love its natural beauty, low cost, and political stability. And rounding out the list are Germany, Singapore, Thailand, New Zealand, Netherlands, Greece, Uruguay, and Ireland. If you do move and become a dual citizen of the US and another country, you still retain the rights to work in the US without a visa, You can vote and run for office, you can own property in the US, and you are still obligated.
Speaker 7: To report for jury duty.
Speaker 2: If, however, you renounce your American citizenship, you lose the right to vote or run for office. You lose your American passport and any military pensions, but you can potentially retain your Social Security benefits and your retirement benefits such as pensions and four oh one kids. Perhaps if my employers offered any kind of pension or retire ironment benefits. I could consider all of this, but for now, I guess I'm sticking it out right here. Really no, really is production of Blaise Entertainment.