Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Zaren Burnette, Elizabeth Dunnan, How you doing, girl?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: How are you You look good? You look like you're really happy. You're enjoying the summer. You a little red from against some sun well Son?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how about you? You look you look fit in as a fiddle.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I'm in fine, in fine fiddle. I'm in fine feddle. Yeah whatever it is. Was that old Henry Miller thing, I'm in fine feddle, meaning like I'm I'm crapping good. There you go. I like it. You're crapping good. I'm regular.
Speaker 3: They're just gonna do a gut check on everybody.
Speaker 2: Terry, Terry, how's your guy? How's you got, biome? Terry? You still got that bubble gut going up? Terry? No, come back out, Terry gone again? Yeah? Do you know it's ridiculous? Oh I'm so glad you do ask me, because I have an answer for you. Thank you. And it's my version of a mashup for you, Elizabeth, what and evolves my man Dick Vandyke. Okay, so when he was doing a like the world premiere of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in New York. He said this very interesting quote in my world. He said, most kids love hot dogs, at least my kids do. We often broil corn on the cob and hot dogs over the coals. I don't eat dogs myself, except in salad. Marjorie, my wife makes a salad with macaroni, mayonnaise, pickles and onions and lots of hot dogs cut up. It's a great combination. That's a very mid century thing, right, just missing the aspect. So he basically pointed out that you know, he'd been over in England and really enjoyed the cooking over there, which you don't hear very He was like, you know, hyping up. We had a Charles dickenstyle Christmas. Anyway, he was saying. Every year on his birthday, she prepares his favorite dish. She soaks some navy beans, then boils him in a big hunk of ham for the longest time. Meanwhile, she has baked some corn bread and puts a layer of crumpled up corn bread and a bowl ladles the beans, soup over it and tops it with some diced onions, tomato, and a few dashes of tabasco. It's a mess, but I love it. Right anyway. The Dick Van Dyke Macaroni hot dog salad. Yeah, I've got the recipe for you. Uh huh. Ten hot dogs cooked cut in one eighth inch rounds, two cups of cooked macaroni, chilled, three tablespoons of sweet pickle relish, one and a half tablespoons of minced white onion, one third cup chopped celery optional, three tablespoons mayonnaise, one teaspoon prepared mustard, salt, freshly ground pepper to taste. So there, you'ld a whole lot of mayonnaise for that.
Speaker 4: No, no, you know, I think I would try it.
Speaker 2: You combine the hot dog rounds with the macaroni, the sweet pickle, the relish, onion, celery, mayonnaise, and mustard, and then season to taste, mixed well served.
Speaker 3: Chilled, two cups of pasta and three tablespoons.
Speaker 2: And he recommends you pair it with corn cooked over the grill. I've got an I'm gonna give you. Want to make some for us, I'm gonna give Terry this menu. Also, he's got a whole Nathan's famous hot Dogs ov So hot dogs wine, And yes.
Speaker 4: He's your guy.
Speaker 2: That's my idea of a mash up, Elizabeth, there you go. Macaroni and hot dogs my main man. We dance a lot of like so.
Speaker 3: I do kind of like macaroni salad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're not into it. No, I mean pasta salads I like, but so often they have too much mayonnaise. And like that one it's light and it's got hot dogs. Yeah, exactly, Like that's two good wins. It is that is That is also ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous that he's like recounting all these very mid century, middle of the road recipes.
Speaker 2: My favorite birthday dinner, it's a hot dog salad.
Speaker 3: Well, and then the like pork be ye yeah, totally bless God bless.
Speaker 2: By the way, do you see how my mashup didn't make you sick? Yeah? I did see that. Just take notes. Okay, do you want to.
Speaker 4: Know what else is ridiculous?
Speaker 3: Big Crime Family, Small Time Crime. This is Ridiculous Crime, A podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, ice and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah. Silver coins, Zarin, Oh, I like those?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you ever get into coin collecting other than the pennies that ruddu Rose, ain't you.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I have like right over there, and I brought them in actually to the office.
Speaker 4: Because I was asked to carry them with you.
Speaker 2: I have these books and my grandfather gave me that are all of the pennies in the last century and some and some from the nineteenth century. Why did why did you bring them up? I found some new pennies and I had some time, so I wanted to look at them and add them to the book. It only yeah, anyway, I was rolling around, okay, whatever I used to. I used to with rolls of pennies in my car, and I used to have like all this change on my dashboard like where you're like speedometer readout is. It was just like two inches thick and change.
Speaker 3: But that wasn't like a coin collection.
Speaker 2: It was sure, it was a collection pins, but honestly all honestly, yes, I do. I like Buffalo Nichols. I like a bunch of the World War two era coins because they had like the metal shortages. So I have a lot. And I also have lucky coins that I've collected from around the world. I've got, you know, a bunch of like I went to Europe back before the EU had made the the Euro. So I have all of their coinage, okay, So, and I've got a bunch of Asian coins that even though I have not been to Japan, I've got a bunch of Japanese coins because I like the way they look. So yeah, I've got a bunch of coins. Nice, I call it a coin.
Speaker 3: Collect I like those nineteen seventy six quarters.
Speaker 2: Oh that was cool. Yeah, those are cool. I also I liked the updated the state quarters when they had the series.
Speaker 3: They tried to collect those various state quarters, but then I realized I didn't care, and I gave up.
Speaker 2: You need a book?
Speaker 3: Well, I think I also needed money for parking meters. I was like, you know, dip in Iowa.
Speaker 2: We had a good run. But a bunch of my favorites.
Speaker 3: Do you what's your favorite?
Speaker 2: That's interesting? State quarters? What's your third favorite?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, that's interesting. I mean obviously I have a lot of like sentimental biases like Georgia.
Speaker 3: George pretty right doesn't have a good Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's really cool, so nice.
Speaker 3: Well, coins the whole hobby a whole business, quite frankly, and like stamps, there are things that make certain coins special sometimes it's the material from which they're made, gold, silver, styrophoone.
Speaker 2: I threw in that last one. See if you were listening to me syrophone, I heard it. I just thought you were having a stroke, and I didn't want to call that.
Speaker 3: Don't pay it, don't don't call attention to that when it happens. But what if the value of the metal This is the question I posed unto you today. What if the value of the metal in the coin goes through the roof. Whenever the metal in a coin becomes worth more than its face value, those coins disappear into crucibles totally.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, so that's very true. And we've had this problem right now with the minting of like nickels, is that they're more valuable than the nickels, right right.
Speaker 3: And so for a couple hundred years, the US government went back and forth on how to prevent folks from just melting coins down.
Speaker 2: Can't stop us? Now that you can't.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they decrease the percentage of silver in coin, and.
Speaker 4: So that forced wayfer thin, yeah, force the phase.
Speaker 3: Value higher than the value of the metal within. The most interesting, I think chapter in all of this was the Pittman Act of nineteen eighteen. It's the single largest deliberate destruction of US silver coinage. So under the Pittman Act, about two hundred and seventy million silver dollars, mostly Morgan dollars, got melted down. The bullion was sold to Britain because they were using it to shore up confidence in the rupee in India during wartime.
Speaker 2: I'll just say I didn't make the Indian.
Speaker 3: So the Act also required that the silver would be replaced eventually, which is why Morgan dollars were then struck again in nineteen twenty one after this seventeen year gap, and then they followed that with the Peace dollar design. So there are several Morgan dates that are super scarce today because the mintages went into the Pittman melt. So that's what makes them very valuable. Over the years, rising industrial demand and a growing coin shortage pushed silver toward the point where a quarters metal exceeded twenty five cents, and so the Coinage Act of nineteen sixty five removed silver entirely from dimes and quarters, and they switched to a copper nickel clad and they cut the half dollar down to forty percent silver. So the public immediately began pulling pre nineteen sixty five coins from circulation, like people wanted to keep their hands on this, and the Treasury was like, we have to stop this. So starting in May of nineteen sixty seven, it prohibited melting and exporting silver coins.
Speaker 2: Now I'm going to be all about the pre nineteen sixty five quarters, A new thing to worry. Well, I've got a new collection going for you.
Speaker 3: So the ban was lifted in nineteen seventy once enough of that clad coinage was in circulation. Oh yeah, So by the nineteen seventies, silver coins were basically gone from the tills.
Speaker 2: It was all clad.
Speaker 3: So let's hold that time from May of nineteen sixty seven until nineteen seventy in our heads. Yes, I have another thread in this tapestry of a tail that we need to follow. We're following the threads from the spool to the loom. Here's eron like that, seeing what elements contribute to this story. So let's talk about Joe Colombo.
Speaker 2: Mafia.
Speaker 3: Don really took a hard one of your favorite topics.
Speaker 2: I do like Joe Colombo. You love the Mafia.
Speaker 3: Joseph Anthony Colombo, Senior Boss of what became known as the Colombo crime family, one of New York's.
Speaker 2: Five families on the Commission.
Speaker 3: Yes, he was an unusual figure in mafia history because he deliberately sought publicity. Yes, you know, this was something unheard of among his peers, totally.
Speaker 2: Carlo Gambino was like, what the hell, Yeah, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: He went on Dick Cabot, he spoke to the press, He was everywhere, absolutely everywhere. Yes, and so he was born in Brooklyn to Anthony Colombo, a member of the Profaci crime family.
Speaker 2: Yes, a great one.
Speaker 3: And he grew up around the organization that his father belonged to. Nineteen thirty eight, when Joe was fifteen, he lost his dad. And I'm going to preserve our percentages here and just keep going.
Speaker 2: Imagine we're doing that a couple of times. N It's about it.
Speaker 3: So Colombo though, Joe Senior, he enlisted in the US Coast Guard during World War Two, got discharged in forty five after he was diagnosed with a nervous condition.
Speaker 2: O colleg Yeah, who're talking like shell shot kind of thing, like PTSD or nervous condition like my handshake.
Speaker 3: I don't know, who knows who's to say. Afterward, he worked like a series of legitimate looking jobs a longshorman, the dogs meat company salesman, Okay, real estate salesman. That was like his eventual thing with the distributor Cantalupo Realty in Brooklyn, Oh, Okay. And this was the job that he kept listing as his occupation like well into his years as a crime boss. So he worked his way up through the Profaci family as an enforcer. He remained loyal to the leadership during this bloody Gallo Profacci war in the early ser Gallo Yeah. So his break came in nineteen sixty three. Joseph Maloco, who had taken over after Joseph Profacci's death, ordered Colombo to carry out the murders of rival bosses Carlo Gambino and Tommy Lukesey the Gentleman. These are the names right that you hear all the time. So this was a plot that was instigated by another crime boss, Joseph Banano, oh Joe Bananas. So Colombo was told to do this. Instead, he tipped off the intended targets and the Mafia Commission spared him. They forced Malyoco into retirement and they handed Colombo, the whole family.
Speaker 2: I love. By the way, these are like my bedtime stories. Growing up right is like okay. And then Carlo Gambido gets the word that the hit is off. This is a very insightful thing.
Speaker 3: So he's like forty one years old now he Joe Senior is the youngest boss.
Speaker 2: In New York. Wow, forty one.
Speaker 3: So he's got his wife Lucille. They have five kids, three sons, Christopher Colombo, Joseph Columbo Junior, I know, and Anthony Colombo. Anthony. Indeed, what I really want to do today is tell you about Joseph Columbo Junior, Joe Junior. He's our focus. He and his crime are the crazy tapestry before us. So it all starts with a Brooklyn coin dealer having a bad year, Richard Salamone. He ran a coin shop in Bay Ridge and it's still I looked at the address. It's still a coin shop to this day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: By late nineteen sixty eight, he was somewhere between fifty and sixty thousand dollars in the hole, depending on who you believed back then. So instead of like sulking about it, he did some quick arithmetic and you know, a lot of other.
Speaker 2: Coin dealers at the time. We're doing this quick arithmetic. I got a lot of money in this place.
Speaker 3: He's a Yeah, if I melt these things down, the silver and all these old US coins that I have are worth more than the printed face value, as I just explained. So it was illegal, sure, but it was also on paper. Elizabeth, who's to say it was a tie prophet?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I bet so when you're faced with this debt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you got a coin shop, you got a lot of corn.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of coin.
Speaker 3: So Salamone pitched the idea to this regular customer of his, Joseph Columbo Junior.
Speaker 2: He was a collector.
Speaker 3: He was a coin collector. He like hung out the coin shop. So the operation itself was like really almost charmingly small time.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So the original plan was that they were gonna smelt two hundred thousand dollars in coins and turn it into fifty thousand dollars in silver ingots. Wow, So that was the that was they exchange they were looking at. That was a bit ambitious. Junior wasn't sold on that. Instead, He's like, look, I'll give you twenty grand and I'll chip in on it. This isn't the only thing you're have, but I'm going to funnel it to you through an associate of mine, Joseph Ayanaki. So the coins themselves then went to a fourth man, David Leonard, and he's the one who actually did the melting. So he got a flat feet twenty dollars for a bag of coins which generally contained between five hundred and one thousand dollars. And then Leonard perc Yeah Leonard then, and they also gave him like a few cents an ounts once the resulting and gets were sold into this Manhattan refinery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe he had like a gambling problem we don't know about, and that's why.
Speaker 3: He's working it off exactly its value added. So the scheme ran from roughly November of nineteen sixty eight into nineteen sixty nine, right up until the melting ban itself was lifted May nineteen seventy. But here's the thing. The market didn't cooperate. Silver prices dropped and the crew reportedly ended up about four grand in the red. So they melted these coins and lost value.
Speaker 2: None of that silver fluctuates so hard, I know.
Speaker 3: None of that stopped the government from indicting Joe Junior Knack Leonard Slamone in late nineteen seventy for violating the Treasuries coin melting statute. Joe Junior was looking at five years if he was convicted.
Speaker 2: Salamone. He pleaded guilty.
Speaker 3: He got ahead of it and he pleaded guilty to conspiracy charges. He testified for the prosecution at the grand jury trial, agreed to testify during the criminal trial.
Speaker 2: Were they throwing like Rico Adam with a conspiracy?
Speaker 3: Who knows Joe Senior. He's convinced that Joe Junior was targeted pretty much because of the family from whence he came. So Joe Senior started a movement that the Italian American Civil Rights League.
Speaker 6: Oh oh yeah, so.
Speaker 4: The Italian.
Speaker 3: Was that was what started at to get Joe Junior out of trouble, the Italian American Civil Rights Christopher. It was an advocacy organization and its stated mission was to fight ethnic discrimination against Italian Americans, particularly the popular assumption that Italian heritage implied menality. Yes, they protested what they called selective ethnically motivated federal law enforcement. So Joe Senior he organized picketers outside the FBI's Manhattan Field office protesting the charges against Joe.
Speaker 2: Junior heard the signs holding up.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: The picketing ran for months and like there was all this press coverage.
Speaker 2: We won our civil rights.
Speaker 3: And all it did was just the organization just grew crazy. There were tens of thousands of members, dozens of chap I mean, they kind of inflated some of the figures, but.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, but I can see the people.
Speaker 3: Then here's the funding to the league drew criticism from other Italian American organizations and public figures who thought that the you know, the league being run by an actual mafia boss was like the worst messenger for the argument that Italian Americans aren't mobsters.
Speaker 4: Is kind of yeah, more than ironic other crime bosses.
Speaker 3: Carlo Gambino first and almost he was furious.
Speaker 2: Oh I bet he.
Speaker 3: Hated because the publicity violated omerta, the code of silence, tradition of invisibility, and it invited exactly the federal attention that they were trying.
Speaker 2: To avoid and kind turns them into a joke.
Speaker 3: Joe Senior unbothered.
Speaker 2: You're going to be on like the late night talk show.
Speaker 3: Senior didn't care even knew what he was doing. So back to Joe Junior. Jury selection begins. Joe Senior and this brand new Italian American Civil Rights League. They show up to make their displeasure known, and they framed the whole prosecution as harassment of the family. The presiding judge could kind of see where this was going, so he asked the press to hold off on trial coverage until a verdict came down.
Speaker 2: He's like, you're going to spook the jury. They didn't.
Speaker 3: He didn't have to worry about leaks. The jurors were just reading the paper, you know, and they it was in the paper. So the very next day a miss trial was declared after five jurors admitted that they ignored the instructions to avoid media about the case. And then there was one juror who was like, yeah, I read about Joe Colombo Senior as like an organized crime figure. I might that's gonna have an effect on how I judged that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, give a little bias NOWLS. So I saw it on Carson the Monologue.
Speaker 3: A new trial was set for February in a bit of scheduling that only nineteen seventy could produce. Father and son then more or less swapped courtrooms. What do you mean, So Junior's mistrial was going on in Brooklyn. Senior was on trial in Manhattan for perjury. He was accused of lying to a state licensing board about who he'd spent a nineteen sixty five labor Day weekend with at a Catskills resort. So he said, oh, I just had this quiet evening of a dinner in a show, and detectives were like, no, you were in the hotel lounge with all of these reputed gangland figures. Got convicted on two of the five counts just before Christmas, got convicted.
Speaker 2: Let's stop for ads. When we return, we're going to go back to court.
Speaker 3: Zaren Joe Colombo junior, son of a mob boss, a son of a gun busted for conspiracy to melt down coins for their silver.
Speaker 2: It's it's petty stuff.
Speaker 4: It's so really it's like Jersey City totally.
Speaker 3: And the crazy part is that by the time the charges were filed, what they had done was like about to be legal. And then the other crazy part is that they did didn't have a sense of the silver market and so they lost money. Were like, you know what, we're still going to make a case against you insult, meat injury. So the coin melting retrial, when it finally opened in February nineteen seventy one, had like a twist that you'd find in a cliche mob movie. Yes, Salomone took the stand and testified more or less as expected.
Speaker 2: Remember he turned states out.
Speaker 3: He was like, Junior joined the scheme because I had this big financial loss. You know, Junior is a longtime customer of the shop. He's a loyal guy, you know the drill. But then overnight Salomone reversed course entirely. Back in court the next day, he now claimed that the FBI had renigged on a bundle of promises that he you know, that were made in exchange for his original grand jury test. And he was like, they promised me cash. They gave me cash. They said they'd help me find work. They were going to get me back my pistol permit that had been confiscated. We're going to get my fifty g's back that I was in the hole.
Speaker 2: I don't think they can do all that I know.
Speaker 3: And a pardon the whole thing, everything last part. And so with those promises supposedly off the table, he recanted his story like wholesale, and he insisted, you know what, Junior never personally put up any money. The funds had come from Inachi.
Speaker 2: I only met him once, was at a birthday party for a little kid.
Speaker 3: According to the New York Times quote, he said that the twenty thousand dollars for the coins came from mister Ionachi, and that mister Colombo told him later, listen, Ianachi gave you that money. If you owe him, give him the money. I have nothing to do with it. Did you write that part down?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But he didn't throw Ionachi under the bus. According to the Times again quote, he also absolved mister Ianachi of participating in the scheme, testifying that he only knew that he was quote buying bags of silver coins for investment in trading in a rising silver mark.
Speaker 2: It was for uniforms with the local Catholic Boys scot exactly so.
Speaker 3: According to the Times quote, Spectators including the defendant's father, relatives and friends, whispered excitedly at Salomony's turnabout. The father, reputedly a leader of organized crime in Brooklyn, quickly referred to a picketing demonstration he had helped to organize against the Federal Bureau of Investigation last summer to protest his son's indictment. We would never have went the distance we went if my son was not framed. He said, Yes, Salomone, he just like reiterates, look this, I just made all this stuff up because the FBI pressured me they needed a case, needed to keep it all afloat. And then he turns he tells the judge, you know, I lied to the grand jury, and the judge responds, quote, I think you better get yourself. An attorney says it in open court because just admitted to exactly in open court. So because of the lying, the original prosecutor, Dennis Dillon, he had to step down to become a witness.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: So he swore up and down that Salomone had been court case. He's like, he was truthful the first time around. And so the prosecution tried to salvage things. They introduced a last minute witness who would supposedly testify that Salomone had privately expressed serious fear for his safety and for the safety of his.
Speaker 4: Family threats from them all yeah, And they even.
Speaker 3: Hinted that there were like incriminating tapes that this secret witness had like stashed away as insurance.
Speaker 2: Oh, the judge wasn't.
Speaker 3: Having it inadmissible, never brought the witness forward. So the trial it's hitting its final stretch and things are about to get wild. Yeah, Zarin, close your eyes, I want you to picture it.
Speaker 6: Hell yeah.
Speaker 3: It's February twenty sixth, nineteen seventy one. You're seated in the gallery in a courtroom in the Federal Courthouse, and it's eight thirty at night, but the place is packed. Word has just come down that the verdict is in at the trial at Joe Columbo Junior. You aren't attached to this case in any way. You're just big into mob stuff. You love the stories. You find everyone involved fascinating. You heard about the trial, and you don't live too far away from the courthouse. You stay in a basement studio at the end of Pineapple Street, by the East River and spitting distance from the Brooklyn Bridge.
Speaker 2: It's a short walk to the courthouse.
Speaker 3: This has been fantastic in here. You've been able to see Joe Senior and the family sitting up front, and a host of other members of the Columbo crime family. You're sitting next to a woman holding a rosary. She murmurs Hail Mary's, her eyes closed. The bailiff orders everyone to rise. The judge glides in his robe as stern as his facial expression. You all stand and then take a seat again. Just as the judge is about to speak, a man rushes up to the bench.
Speaker 2: It's that guy, Dennis.
Speaker 4: Dillon, original prosecutor.
Speaker 3: He testified the other day about how Salomone lied about lying crazy stuff. Dylan reaches the bench and slaps his hands against the lacquered wood. He breathlessly tells the judge that he'd just been threatened outside the courtroom. It was one of Columbo's guys, he says.
Speaker 2: People gasp.
Speaker 3: Joe Senior blows the dismissing exhale through his lips, a soft shaw. The young guy next to him just rolls his eyes. Another looks at the ceiling and mutters mud. The judge asks what the man said to Dylan. Dylan replies, he asked whether I'd prefer to be dealt with.
Speaker 2: By knife or by fist.
Speaker 3: Joe Senior and his son Anthony quickly stand and make toward the bench.
Speaker 2: Your heart is pounding.
Speaker 3: This is unlike anything you've ever seen, and has exceeded your wildest expectations. The woman next to you reaches over and grabs your hand, her knuckles white, the rosary still clutched in her other hand. Bailiff's spring into action, but not fast enough. Dylan spins around as Joe sor Anthony approach. Senior raises his hand and lands a satisfying slap across Dylan's face. The gallery gasps akin, men shout. A woman in the back cries out. More people stand. The sound of chairs scraping the floor and papers falling to the ground adds to the chaos. Bailiff's restrained the columbos and Dylan has whisked out a side door. The judge bangs his gabbled. After some settling, the courtroom grows silent. The judge says, this has been an emotional day, and I don't have to remind anyone about threats to federal officers. The woman next to you with the rosary shouts out.
Speaker 2: What about vice versa?
Speaker 3: The crowd erupts again with shouts of agreement.
Speaker 4: The judge bangs his gavel again.
Speaker 3: Two police officers make their way down to your row and snatch up the woman with the rosary, hauling her off. She looks at you and whispers, I'd say it again too, and winks as she's dragged away. You settle in and watch the jury file into their seats ready to announce their verdict. This is better than going to the pictures.
Speaker 2: You think, oh, that was awesome.
Speaker 4: Saren this all happened, no doubt.
Speaker 3: The late okay, so yeah that she did yielded up order was eventually restored. Jury delivered its verdict, Joe Junior and Ianachi were acquitted, and Leonard, the one guy who'd actually done the melting, he got convicted. Salomone flip flopping his way through two trials. He got hit with a perjury charge on top of the conspiracy plea that he'd already entered guilty to, so he got nine months. Junior's walking free, but he's not going straight. In nineteen eighty five, he got indicted alongside Anthony and his brother and like a dozen others as part of what prosecutors were calling this new Columbo family crew, and June eighty six, all three brothers pleaded guilty to racketeering. Anthony, who was like head of the crew, he got a fourteen year term plus two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in fines and two hundred fifty thousand dollars restitution, and the others took terms arranging from like five to fourteen years fourteen years. At Anthony's October eighty sixth sentencing, UPI noted that Joe Junior, who was thirty nine and living in Windsor, New York, he got five years, so we know we have it there. A seventy two count indictment had charged the crew with murder, robbery, extortion, gambling, drug trafficking, and the guilty police covered only racketeering, conspiracy and like certain specified acts.
Speaker 2: Everything else was dismissed, even murder. Yep, brush that one off.
Speaker 3: Anthony's lawyer, Barry Slotnik, said publicly that his client denied being a.
Speaker 2: Member of organized crime. Don't we all.
Speaker 3: Denied any involvement in drug trafficking or murder, And he also said the brothers pleaded guilty because they wanted to spare their family along track doing it for my ma. Joe Junior he got out around nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: You're breaking your mother's time.
Speaker 3: By available accounts, it looks like he stayed out of.
Speaker 2: Legal trouble and out of the press from that point on. Oka good for him. Yeah, the press park.
Speaker 3: Well, notably when federal prosecutors brought the well publicized two thousand and one Columbo Brothers crew indictment involving the double click kickback scheme. That's a whole other thing to get into. Yeah, it was just Anthony and Christopher. Who was Christopher.
Speaker 2: So Joe Junior's like, look, I'm trying to keep my mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was out of it and so locked my coins. I'm not doing Joe Junior, not part of it.
Speaker 2: You're looking out for Italian civil rights.
Speaker 3: Christopher was the brother who later became a minor media figure on his own. There was a two thousand and five HBO show called House Rest starring Chris Colombo. Really yeah, and it was like a reality show with him on House.
Speaker 2: Arrest, House to Rest. Yeah, Joe Junior wanted nothing to do with that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Joe Junior passed away October twenty ninth, twenty fourteen, in Newburgh, New York, at the age of sixty seven. It wasn't a bullet that got him. He died from neurological lime disease, neurological lime disease. Yeah, I know that you are terrified of lime disease.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm terrified of a couple of things that are just absolutely bizarre. Ticks and lime disease is one. The bat and dog bites for rabies is another. But I do not want the hydrophobia that just scares the hell out of me, and the lot of the conditions. I've known a couple people had lime disease and had it real bad, yeah, and I was like, that is horrendous. That's like up there. It's not quite like my fear of like a like a pyroclastic flow from like Pompeii, which is like one of my absolutely insane fears. I don't have to worry about most volcanoes like boiling my brains, butme disease is definitely up there. So that's why I pretty much will always be wearing long sleeves and pants no matter how it can be one hundred and ten degrees. You will catch me in long sleeves and pants if I'm anywhere near grass. When I go mountain biking, people will mock me for the fact that I'm always out there in long sleep but I'm like, look, I was a housepain. I dressed like this. I'm used to being one hundred degrees fully covered. And also then I don't have to worry about my other thing, which is I'm allergic to bees.
Speaker 3: So well, yeah that's a big thing too. But you know, there's a new thing with a strain of limes disease where you get a meat allergy.
Speaker 2: Oh the red meat. It's red meat. Yeah, you become and a lot of people there's even now a conspiracy theory that there are tick boxes being released so that people become allergic to red meat and we can bring down the red meat consumption. I just se TikTok or whatever. Yeah, they got it's conspiracy theory for the red mething. I know. I don't thought.
Speaker 3: That was interesting that there was lime disease that took them out in a family. Yeah, known for the mob, a lot of violent catching, metal poisoning. Let's pause for some ads. Now the crime section is pretty much over, but I want to circle back to something that caught my interest.
Speaker 6: Okay, cool, all right, zareny.
Speaker 3: So you know, if you're really all about crime and you don't like ridiculousness, like you see yourself out.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you came ridiculous, there's not really. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's a little bit anyway, So I told you about the Italian American Civil Rights League.
Speaker 2: Yes, which I'm still laughing at on the inside. Right.
Speaker 3: So Joe Columbo, as I said, MLK, who's our Malcolm X. He started it to fight against Joe Junior's legal troubles with Coen Melting like the whole it's anyway ridiculous, okay, But then the movement grew and it got tied in with one of the most well known pieces of entertainment to feature the Mafia ever. Hu that's right, Zarin the Godfather. Oh snap, yeah, oh snap. So most know it is a movie, but started as a book work of crime fiction. It was written by Italian American novelist Mario Puzzo. It follows an invented mafia dynasty or is the brit Say dynasty? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Same language, yeah, same language?
Speaker 3: Who knew? Operating out of New York City and Long Island, under the leadership of the patriarch Vito Corleone, the godfather of the title Olive Oil Merchant, all of the King of the Olive Oil Okay, So the main narrative runs through nineteen forty five to nineteen fifty five, and there are all these extended flashbacks Tree seeing Vito's life from his boyhood onward. So it was the first entry in what eventually grew into like a multi book series, and it was often credited with bringing Italian terms such as consiglieri, kappa, regime, cosinostra, omertas I mentioned earlier into common usage among English.
Speaker 2: Also hit the mattresses, like hit the mattresses.
Speaker 3: But people didn't know all these Italian words until then.
Speaker 2: People in the US totally.
Speaker 3: Mario Puzzo, he wrote The Godfather while deep in debt, so in debt. Paramount bought the film rights in nineteen sixty seven for like not a lot of money. It was like twelve thousand dollars up front.
Speaker 2: It just like off the back of the popularity of like the Valacchi Joe Valacci like criminal, like you know, he goes before the Senate and testifies and really not really so I thought they were looking for a new crime.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, no, no, So they paid this out, just a little bit of money. They pay him out before the book came out, before it was published.
Speaker 2: Huh they got the galleys. Yeah, it came out.
Speaker 3: In nineteen sixty nine and it was on the best seller list for months, sold in the millions. Suddenly the studio has this property they hadn't planned for because like their enthusiasm was kind of limited their previous mob picture, The Brotherhood in nineteen sixty eight, Yes, with Kirk Douglas, it was a flop, total flop. So I think that they bought The Godfather anticipating that The Brotherhood would do really well and they have their own. Yeah. The internal read in the industry was like, gangster films are dead.
Speaker 2: Were past that point. No one, Watson, it's not the syndicid, it's not cool, right.
Speaker 3: Robert Evans had a production and Charles Bludorn this like volatile chairman of Paramount's parent company, Gulf Western. They wanted, look, make it cheap, make it fast, like we don't want anything.
Speaker 2: And Bob Evans is like a taste maker. So you have like basically a bean counter and a tastemaker. How do you make both of them happy? Exactly? And then enter Albert Ruddy.
Speaker 3: He's the producer who's main credit at the time was the sitcom Hogan's Heroes.
Speaker 2: Get Out of Town. I did not know that was his main cab.
Speaker 3: And he got the job partly because he pitched it as like a really inexpensive contemporary picture. And Francis Ford Coppola was hired rather reluctantly, very young. But yeah, they weren't really sure, and they nearly fired him a bunch of times, like it just was not so Evans and Copola They're like, we have to shoot it in New York. Oh, yeah, like it has to be so we have the tastemaker and the director seeing the vision. And that decision put the production directly into the hands of the city's unions.
Speaker 2: Oh its location permits yes, and you saly.
Speaker 3: Less officially the people who controlled both of those huh so. By early nineteen seventy one, the Italian American Civil Rights League was at its peak. They had a benefit concert at Madison Square Garden that featured Frank Sinatra.
Speaker 2: The chairman of the board. Chair out for the Italian.
Speaker 3: Unity Day rally at Columbus Circle June twenty ninth, nineteen seventy They were like fifty thousand people there.
Speaker 2: The Christopher Columbus Statue with the fountain and yes, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, exactly so. Because of pressure from the League. At this point, Attorney General John Mitchell told the Justice Department to stop using the words mafia and cosinostra in press releases.
Speaker 2: Mixon's Attorney general, Yeah.
Speaker 3: New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller issued similar guidance to state agencies, like, look, you can't use these words mafia or cosinostra. The League showed that it could, like put bodies on the sidewalk at a short notice, and that's not in a murder sense, but in a picket line.
Speaker 2: So I got youa yeah, So the God premiere with the godfother obvious target totally so. The league's position, even though the filmmaker is Italian Coppola, doesn't matter, we don't trust, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: And the author of totally So, the League's position was that there's this like, lavishly produced, widely distributed movie is going to cement the association between Italian ancestry and organized crime in a way that like no news.
Speaker 2: Story could even do. And little do they know? Do they know?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: Some of the pressure was ideological, some of it, I would say most of it was the league's leadership seeing a large corporation with a lot to lose and an urgent shooting schedule, a shakedown, shakedown, you're back into crime.
Speaker 4: Boom.
Speaker 2: You found it, thank god.
Speaker 3: So the League they're saying, look, we've got tens of thousands of members. They start organizing letter writing campaigns. New York state legislators of Italian descent they raised their objections. There's picket lines. Location shooting in New York dependent on teamsters and other unions and.
Speaker 2: So the electricians.
Speaker 3: So the production starts encountering trouble, and so the permits get stalled. Locations are falling through. The cruise are like there's problems with them, there's no shows. Robert Evans Bob Evans described receiving threatening phone calls at his hotel.
Speaker 2: Was about to say, okay, do you know they're getting anonymous phone calls.
Speaker 3: Ruddy's car was reportedly shot at well parked outside of his office, like all the windows were shot out.
Speaker 2: Oh damn. Sure would be a shame of something that happened.
Speaker 3: Gulf Western Manhattan offices. They got bomb threats. Oh yeah, they I mean it was yeah. Accounts vary in the details, and the participants obviously had reasons to like embellish their own stories, but the production genuinely believed it was in trouble. So contact came through Anthony Colombo, Joe Colombo's son, Joe Junior's bretta. So he reached out and arranged a meeting. How to sit down, Ruddy shows up in like a beat up Chevy instead of studio car, because he was like, that's going to send the right signal. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but he thought it was the right signal.
Speaker 2: So he meets with Colombo.
Speaker 3: I mean, these guys, what do you think that these guys are driving the mobsters are driving around.
Speaker 2: And beat up because trying to show it on blue collar. I don't know.
Speaker 3: So he meets with Colombo and league representatives and eventually hands over the shooting script for them to review. Oh so, what Anthony and Joe Senior wanted turned out to be surprisingly narrow. So they didn't want the film canceled, they didn't want it rewritten. They just wanted the words mafia and cosinostra to be taken out of it. And Ruddy checked and it's like those terms only came up once or twice in the entire screenplay.
Speaker 2: As I say, only like with either reporters or like senate hearings. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And Puzzo's book had never really leaned on those words.
Speaker 2: They were just you know, incidental that down and like his underball were like, you know, as members of the mafia, we got to always remember our thing. You remember what that means everybody.
Speaker 3: So, I mean the story works through family and business and euphemisms.
Speaker 4: So Ruddy's like, yeah, that's totally fine.
Speaker 2: We'll take all that out. It's going to cost them nothing. In exchange.
Speaker 3: The League withdrew its objections so miraculously the union and the location problems they suddenly evaporated.
Speaker 4: Who knew, I mean, those things weren't.
Speaker 2: Related, surprise. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Ruddy also agreed that proceeds from the New York premiere of the movie would go to the league's hospital fund, which I don't know what that was.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised Sinatra didn't get in there, being like, this character is clearly based on me. I want to make sure well.
Speaker 3: So League members had to be hired as extras. That was another provision. March nineteenth, nineteen seventy one, Ruddy appeared at a press conference at the Park Share Hotel, standing next to Anthony Colombo and League officials to announce the agreement.
Speaker 2: This did not go well.
Speaker 4: Really, yeah, this story the press.
Speaker 3: The story ran on the front page of the New York Times. And so here we have a Hollywood studio publicly announcing that it had reached terms with an organization headed by a crime BOSSU was alablactic.
Speaker 4: Oh god, the optics for a publicly.
Speaker 3: Traded conglomerate, golf and Western stock and reputation are all he's concerned about, not Ruddy's location permits. Ruddy gets fired, he gets canned. So the firing lasted somewhere between a day and a few days, depending on who you listened to.
Speaker 2: But then he got reinstated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the practical argument was that he was the only person that the League was going to deal with, so replacing him meant reopening a settled problem. Than we have the political blowback, right. Frank Sinatra, among others, publicly criticized the arrangement. So there were some Italian American figures pointed out the obvious, As I said before, like a real mafia boss negotiating the depiction of a fictional mafia. Mafia boss and yeah, it kind of undercuts that central claim that no organization exists, like there's no mafia.
Speaker 2: But hold on a second.
Speaker 4: Talking about being in the exactly, So the Colombo.
Speaker 3: Vibe was baked into the movie at this point. So Lenny Montana, he was a former professional wrestler. He was working as a bodyguard and an enforcer associated with the Columbo family and he was hanging around the film set as part of the league's involvement. Copola spots him this enormous, like heavy featured man is going to give him a part.
Speaker 2: You know who he is.
Speaker 7: You know he is Luca Brose. This guy, he's incredible. You look at like, oh my god, that is a mafia enforcer. Was an enforcer of the mafia.
Speaker 3: In the scene where Brazi rehearses his congratulations to Don Corleone at the wedding, yeah, Montana was reportedly so nervous acting opposite of Marlon Brando that he stumbled over his lines, and Coppola liked the effect enough to keep it. And then right in the preceding shot of him anxiously practicing the speech to himself, brilliant.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 3: Yes, then there are the wedding extras. A number of League members and associates ended up on screen.
Speaker 2: Oh, I bet.
Speaker 3: Gianni Russo who played Carlo Ritzi. He had genuine connections.
Speaker 2: In that world. Yeah, the son in law.
Speaker 4: He lobbied for that part.
Speaker 3: Al Martino cast as the singer Johnny Fontage.
Speaker 2: It was character. Yeah.
Speaker 3: He reportedly secured and then held onto his role, partly through pressure applied by connected friends. After the production tried to replace him with Vic Damone. Oh, They're like, oh, put victim one in. No, and then they, you know, shop on their doorstep. Predating the League business, but part of the same climate. Frank Sinatra he thought that Johnny Fontaine was a caricature of him.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was when Puzso was introduced to him at Chasin's in Los Angeles. Sinatra reportedly just like tore into him, rated him at length and at volume. He called him a pimp. He called him all James story, all in front of the entire restaurant. Frank didn't care about that.
Speaker 2: He'd say whatever we talked about that.
Speaker 3: Huzzo wrote about the encounter afterwards, but was like kind of amused by it. I mean it is one of those things. Yes, exactly, By several accounts, Colombo, having read the script, was not really bothered by it.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: The objection was to the vocabulary general principle rather than the content. Ruddy in the Columbos maintained something like a cordial relationship. After interesting, the whole arrangement effectively ended. On June twenty eighth, nineteen seventy one, the League was holding its second Unity Day rally in Columbus Circle in New York when Joe Senior got shot in the head. Oh that's right, So Godfather was still in production at this point. Joe Senior survived, was permanently incapacitated, but the League just like.
Speaker 2: Lost its engine.
Speaker 3: So the film opened in March of nineteen seventy two and became four a time, the highest grossing film ever made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and pretty much till Star Wars, right or Jaws? I think Jaws.
Speaker 3: So here's the irony of it all. The League's campaign produced a film with the words mafia and cosinoster removed, and it made no difference whatsoever to the association it was trying to break.
Speaker 4: And they love the movie well.
Speaker 3: In fact, you could argue that The Godfather did more than any other single work to fix Italian American organized crime in the popular match one percent.
Speaker 2: I mean, like other than the Sopranos, I don't think you can think of a thing that is more like beloved version of the mafia exact. And it also elevated it, so it wasn't like you're not comparing them to like scarface and like organized crime that is more like drug crime and like more modern crimes. They were like elevated and given like almost exactly. It's like nights of the past as opposed to like you know bad, like you know, chewt them ups and alleys, you know in.
Speaker 3: The family intrigue of it and the push.
Speaker 2: Pull honor and like all the questions beautiful the old world in the new world, think about all the quotable lines.
Speaker 3: So this, yeah, exactly, what's your ridiculous takeaways?
Speaker 2: Aaron oh Man, There's something it's so.
Speaker 3: Hard to hold back because you know all this stuff and then thinking.
Speaker 2: It's very difficult for me at certain points. I think you looked over when you were talking about Luca Razzi and I was literally holding my mouth so I wouldn't spit it out because I was like, she's getting there, she's getting He's the best like, I mean, he the fact that, yes, I was very well aware that he was a real Mathia enforcer. And every time I watch that movie, which is usually at least once a year, I sit there and just marvel at like the reality and the life in him. He's one of those actors. It's just like he makes the movie that much more credible. Yeah, so I guess we'll just say that's my Rideculo's takeaway, how much I love Luca Bratzi. What is yours? Elizabeth?
Speaker 3: I like that this is such a classic tale, like something in the Godfather or in the Sopranos, where you have the one son who's like trying real hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's doing.
Speaker 3: A deal on melting down the silver coins and he raises all this hubbub and the dad. Like the fact that the Italian American League came out of that.
Speaker 4: I didn't know it was.
Speaker 2: To protect.
Speaker 4: For smelting coin by Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's my takeaway is how much I loved that. I think that said we need a talkback, Dave.
Speaker 5: Oh my god much. I love Hey, Zaren, Elizabeth and producer g I hope you're all doing well. I live in Philadelphia and I thought I'd tell you, guys something ridiculous. My first name is letter A, just letter A. It's all my birth certificate. You can ask my mom. I'm called Maggie though for my middle name. But I love your podcast so so much, so much, so much. Thank you for making me laugh. All right, bye, guys.
Speaker 2: You and I Saron talk about great names, and A is a great name, A Maggie last name.
Speaker 4: So do you go by A?
Speaker 2: I know, but I mean, like with anybody, is there anyone who calls you? Ah? I'm wondering.
Speaker 3: I gotta be a pain, like being you know, in class and then or or.
Speaker 2: Like online me most of my life by a lot of people, so like, hey, Z, so I know what it's like to be a single letter sure, but A is a one where people wouldn't think that it's like Z. Somehow sounds like a name because you have the ze. What are you voting here?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just wondering too, Like when you have to fill out online forms, is it ever like no, put your full name not.
Speaker 2: Just an initial. Yeah, it's interesting, you.
Speaker 3: Know, because bureaucracy doesn't doesn't adjust for creativity.
Speaker 2: Not at all.
Speaker 3: That's cool though, I love that Magie. That's it for today. You can find us online at ridiculous Crime dot com. We're also at Ridiculous Crime on both Blue Sky and Instagram. You can email us at ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com. Terry will take a look at that. Leave us a talk back on the iHeart app. Please I love those reach out. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaren Burnett, produced and edited by Capo Argento. Dave Cousten, our Ridiculous Assistant, is chair of the Coin Collector's Civil Rights League, Terry Maldonado.
Speaker 2: Fon research is by Godfather.
Speaker 3: Wedding scene extra thanks to an uncle who pulled some strings Marissa Brown. The theme song is by Silver Smelters Thomas Lee and Travis Duddon. Post wardrobe is provided by Botany five hundred. Producer Dave Couston's wardrobe is by Mister Guy of Beverly Hills. Guest hair and makeup by Sparkleshot and Mister Andre. Executive producers are Underboss hanging out at Craft Services, Ben Bolin and Federal prosecutor who got slapped by Joe Banano on a fishing boat. Noel Brown.
Speaker 5: Disquime say it one more times. Crime.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more podcasts, My heart Radio, Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.