Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio. Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 2: And I'm Joe McCormick, and we are back finally with part three of our series on childhood amnesia. We had a bit of an interruption in the series last week to first of all, to some sick days and then to a scheduled interview. But now we return to finish off the series, so I thought we should do a brief refresher on the stuff we talked about in the past couple of episodes here. So the term childhood amnesia refers to a couple of different facts, which are, first of all, the fact that most adults cannot conjure any genuine, first hand episodic memories from before roughly the age of three. And there are some minor variations in that age horizon that have been observed to correlate with variables like gender. Girls tend to have slightly earlier memories culture. Different cultures have on average different memory horizons, but on average we can say most people's earliest memories tend to be somewhere in the range of three years old or between three or four. And then the other fact is that once we do start having memories, for the next four to five years after that, we have fewer memories than would be predicted by the normal rate of forgetting. That holds true throughout the rest of your life. So first you've got no memories usually, and then you've got fewer memories, and then finally the regular rate of forgetting kicks in, maybe somewhere around seven or eight or so. Now, some people do claim to have much earlier memories, and we've heard from some of them in email. Even some people claim to have memories even up to and before birth, and you know, it's impossible.
Speaker 1: To rule that out.
Speaker 2: It's possible in some cases people do have those memories. But these claims also have to be considered alongside the fact that research shows it is very easy to create the false impression of a childhood memory, spurred by all kinds of external prompting, anything from a photo, whether a real photo or a doctored one, a story told by a parent. And it's clear that these false memories implanted later in life in many cases feel completely genuine to us, even if they are fabricated purely for the purpose of an experiment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, So we want to continue to drive that home that to whatever extent a memory is accurate, augmented, fabricated, et cetera, that doesn't take away from the subjective reality of the memory and the importance of the memory, or the or the pain of the memory.
Speaker 2: Well sure, you know, one of the ways I would put it is that like the fact that someone has a false memory, as in they have a memory of an event that did not actually happen, does not mean that they're like lying it. You know, like we literally cannot tell the difference between real memories involves memories in many cases.
Speaker 1: Right and I think it's safe to say that the many memories, if not all memories, are false to some degree.
Speaker 2: Right now. In previous parts, we also talked about some of the experimental methods used to test for memory at early ages, including you know, straightforward earliest memory prompts, tell me your earliest memory, things like the word Q test, so tell me a memory associated with the following word. We use the example of jar and so forth. Now, some research we discussed in previous episodes made a pretty convincing case, at least to me, that the explanation is not that the brain is incapable of forming memories before the average age of three or four. One of the other studies we talked about included a scenario in which three year olds could produce details about recent events in their lives when interviewed along with their mothers, showing that they did have memories of recent things that had happened, and these memories could be elicited with cues from parents. Though it seems in a lot of cases children this young will not offer details from memory spontaneously, but if you kind of coax it out of them, they can produce details on their own that show they do remember things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, plusive mom is there to help you know, right.
Speaker 2: But when those very same kids were interviewed years later, after having been able to produce memories about recent events at age three, between the ages of seven and nine, many of those memories of early events were lost, and a lot more were lost by the ages of eight and nine than were lost by the age of seven. So there appears to be in later childhood kind of a period of rapid massive forgetting, where a lot of our earliest memories kind of vanish, like memories of a dream. So the big question is why is it that many of these earliest memories, or what memories exist of earliest events, cannot be produced later in life, either later in childhood or especially in adulthood. There have been a lot of attempts to answer this question. There, of course, is still a lot of controversy about it. It is not a settled debate. But many of the proposed answers are based in the developing structure of the brain. And while I think there is absolutely something to these arguments, the neurodevelopmental structural arguments, they don't exactly mean that the immature brain cannot make memories yet, because again we as we've seen, sometimes you can get younger children to provide details about recent events, and also young children can show examples of learning, say learning how to manipulate a simple mechanism in a toy, in experiments that show that they do have memories that in some cases last for weeks months, even before the age of three, so there is some remembering going on. Instead, it seems to me more likely that what's happening here is the memories that the brain makes at age one or two are prone to more rapid forgetting than the kinds of memories we would make at age eleven or twelve or Also, those memories might be different than the memories made in later life in a way that makes them more difficult to retrieve after we age passed that memory horizon. So for the neurodevelopmental structural arguments, we looked at one paper in Part two arguing that the hippocampal memory system is actually very active in the first few years of life. That's the normal memory system. A lot is going on there when you're two years old or so. But this paper argued that instead of making memories of the kind that will be stored for the rest of your life, what it's primarily doing with the processing of information from experiences is learning how to learn. And complementary to this, I think one structural developmental explanation's been offered is that a lot of early autobiographical memories may be lost due to the rapid rate of neurogenesis during childhood. So as new brain cells are formed, especially in the hippocampus, this may erode the stability of the structural basis of existing memories. So, you know, the hippo campus is developing rapidly. You're sort of like you know, rebuilding the house constantly in real time, in which case the rooms that existed, you know, a year ago, might not really exist anymore as rooms down the road.
Speaker 1: It's almost heartbreaking to think about that with common memories.
Speaker 2: Of the house is getting bigger. You know, you can put more in it, but you're also dismantling as you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I guess it's like you're thinking of it in terms of the young child. It's like the house that is being built is going to be magnificent as well, and it's built on the bones of the house that came before, So you can't get too sentimental about that which is being lost as a necessary part of the child's maturing. But I still reserve the right to cry a little bit.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, if you're recalled. I got interested in this whole idea because of a story about my daughter, who is actually I said five months last time. You know, she's coming up on six months now, wow, And we were trying to figure out Okay, so we've been really making her laugh a lot by dropping a cloth on her face. She thinks this is hilarious. Just lay her down on the blanket and drop the cloth from above and we were like, is she going to remember that she thought this was funny? Will she be able to explain why she thought it was funny when she's older, And unfortunately it breaks my heart. I think the answer is probably not.
Speaker 1: Still, these are prime years to just kill it as a dad standout, so it just keep developing that material.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so while the while the overall causes of childhood amnesia are still being debated in the scientific literature, I'm very one over that at least one of the major causes probably is the neurodevelopmental issue we talked about in the last episode, the hippocampus coming online and developing. Of course, it also seems plausible that it's a phenomenon with multiple contributing causes, and maybe some are based not just in the physical development of the brain, but possibly in some more externally visible developmental milestones, maybe based in the environment and things we learn. And so I thought, before we move away from this topic, we should explore a few of those ideas as well. So another factor I've read about linked to childhood amnesia, possibly explaining elements of it is language. This seems like an obvious place to go. The language and the linguistic environment in which a child grows up. What if the extent to which we record experiences as memories in the form in which they're stored, and our later ability to retrieve and make sense of those memories is in some way dependent on language. The typical childhood memory horizon tends to come pretty much right in the middle of a period of rapid development of language skills and the acquisition of vocabulary. So could it be that the adult capacity for memory greatly depends on the use of words and concepts that we gain during this language acquisition period. Could be coincidence, but developing skills and manipulating different types of subjects and predicates I think could play a role in the onset of autobiographical memories that persist over time, because language obviously plays a major role in how we as adults remember and tell autobiographical memories. Like you ever, notice how when you tell a story from memory you often end up using the same or similar words to do so. Why is that? I mean? Even if so, you can understand how if you are, like reporting speech in a memory, you would want to use the same words to do so because you're reporting what somebody said. But so you're reporting a non verbal event, just like a walk you went on and things you saw. Very often you use the same or similar words to do so, or at least I think I do, and most people I notice seem to do. Would this be your experience?
Speaker 1: Also, yeah, and I do. It kind of brings me back to the topic of Dad stand up comedian, because I wonder, like, to a large extent, it's like you keep retelling a story more or less the same way because you know what's really working, you know, like what, yeah, what makes it more dramatic, what makes it more funny? Which you know, how you can frame it in a way that also brings to mind, like scenes from movies or something. So yeah, yeah, I think there's a lot of that going on.
Speaker 2: Oh well, it's interesting you bring up the role of entertainment and the language used to relate a memory. That'll come up again in just a minute. But yeah, so I think I would acknowledge that certain types of vocabulary might actually make the difference between the ability to coherently remember an event and recall it years later versus that, you know, the characteristics that often come up when people are describing their very earliest memories, even the ones we've heard of from listeners in the email we got after the first couple of parts, like the kind of rare, fragmented, decontextualized sensory memories that people often produce as their very earliest those have a very different character than a lot of later memories, and that may it seems to me like those differences could correlate with not really having the language to organize them as memories at the time they're formed. But if language does play an important role in establishing the capacity for long term memories about your life, what if it's not just conceptual vocabulary. Another way language could have some thing to do with memory in early childhood is narrative. So when you are asked to explain a memory from childhood, for example, you know, what's the first time you can remember swimming in the ocean, you could say I was in Florida, I was about three, Or you could say, well, I was with my mom and dad and we were in Florida and the sand was white, and I remember I saw a crab and it scared me, but my dad told me it was safe and the crab wouldn't chase me. And then the water was cold. It was colder than the bath, and then saltwater got in my nose and I didn't like that at first, but then I did. And then later we went to dinner at a restaurant and my dad got steamed crabs, and he remembered the crab on the beach and he kept teasing me. He made the crab creep up on me on the table.
Speaker 1: Oh, is this an actual memory for you?
Speaker 2: No, I just made it up, But it seems like it could.
Speaker 1: Be, because I mean, you do have a certain fascination with crabs. So if this were a legitimate memory, perhaps Joe, perhaps we were retrieving this memory through the exercise of podcasting.
Speaker 2: This explains everything. It's how I got corm and brain and now it's just leaking out in a made up story right here. But no, so, at least in the way you tell stories from childhood, there is a wide range of stylistic flexibility. You could mention things in a dry, informational manner, reporting just where you were and what happened, or you could offer information more in the kind of narrative style that people enjoy and make meaning out of when they tell stories to each other. And you could call this distinction sort of reporting versus reminiscing, you know, with the storytelling being more social in nature and more entertainment focused. Honestly, So that comes back to your thing about having a certain format of the memory that is based around the language you've found is best to express it for entertainment value or for communicating what you're trying to get across.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And exaggeration also, I find is also a tool you often see employed sometimes, I guess at later ages you see it used intentionally, intentionally exaggerating the emotional context of an event in order to make a better story out of it. Though I've also seen much younger children do that. I remember and this was like a birthday party I took my son to and there's a slipping slide. Tensions were running high, I think, and an adult went down the slipping slide, and then the birthday boy exclaimed, this is a disaster, and see'd rather perturbed by the whole scenario. I don't know how that experience matured or state or it sticks stuck around as a memory, but like that kind of exaggeration I can imagine could make it if it was truly viewed as a disaster as a catastrophe of a non child going down the slip and slide.
Speaker 2: Well, just think about yeah, if that child later tells that story, all the different ways that the story could be loaded. I mean, it could be loaded with like humor, sort of ironic reflection on how one feels as a child, or I don't know, maybe if you mature a certain way, you might still take it very seriously and be upset about the slip and slide. But there's all this loading in stories that is not just merely reporting the facts about an event, but to make the facts reported make sense within some broader story. You might call this having the facts contexted. That's how it was expressed in the abstract of a paper I was looking at. But you also make evaluative statements and implications about those facts. So not just why happened, but I felt X about why. And I've read numerous sources alleging that there could be a link between the narrative reminiscing style of say the family or the environment in which a child grows up and the age at which those children form lasting memories. I was reading about this in one article in the Berkeley Greater Good magazine by Gene Shinsky and another article in the BBC from twenty sixteen by Zaria Gorvitt. These were essentially making the link that some researchers think more elaborate, coherent narratives could cause children to have memories that last longer. In one example was cited in that BBC article. It was a paper done by the Cornell University psychology professor Chi Wang, who was the author of a paper called culture Effects on Adult's Earliest childhood Recollection and Self Description Implications for the Relation between Memory and the Self published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology in two thousand and one, and this found that by comparing childhood stories told by Chinese and American college students, American students stories tended to be longer, more elaborate, with more self focused evaluations, whereas the Chinese stories were more restrained and factual. And also the average earliest memories of the American students were a little bit earlier. And this personally squared with Wong's experience of growing up in China, where she said that the cultural norm was that there was less emphasis on stories of early childhood memories and she gives a quote to the BBC saying, if society is telling you those memories are important to you, you'll hold on to them. And this also relates to cross cultural studies saying that some of the examples of the people on average the earliest childhood memories tend to be people of the Maori culture, and these same studies find that Maori families tend to place a lot of emphasis on elaborate narrative storytelling in the past. So I thought this was interesting that this could connect to some of the differences we've already read about and I think talked about in the first episode about cross culture differences in the age of the earliest memories, and also gender differences, because there have been some studies showing that girls tend to have slightly earlier memories on average than boys, and that girls in childhood tend to relate stories in a more contexted and evaluative manner. But whatever the particulars of how it works, it's certainly not hard for me to imagine that the storytelling environment in which you grow up plays a large role on what and how you remember things from your earliest childhood.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's fascinating, and something also Just to keep in mind too, that I remember one of the sources I quoted in maybe the first episode mentioned, and that is that there's no right or wrong way. Like earlier memories of childhood versus later memories, neither one is healthier or more correct. The brain remembers what it needs to remember.
Speaker 2: Right and while playing on that, one way to interpret these findings, if they are correct, is that maybe by inhabiting an environment where there is a lot of elaborate narrative storytelling that involves a lot of contexting of events and including evaluations, that is an environment that tells the child that they need to remember things in that manner and thus makes them easier to retrieve and relate later on. Of course, the interesting thing being that again this is all coming back to autobiographical memories, the kind of memories for events in your life that, like you can later retell as stories. And this doesn't necessarily correspond to other types of memory, like say, memory of how to do something, you know, memories that we often think of not as quote memory but as learning. All right, So, the language based memory development idea has been around for a long time and it has its proponents, though I think also it has its critics, and I don't think we should place too much emphasis on things like the role of language, because one big reason here is that some analogs to infantile amnesia have been discovered in animals like rats. You know, so there are rat experiments showing kind of similar patterns of forgetting of the earliest experiences as rats age into adulthood. Rats of course never acquire language, but show some similar patterns. So it's clear that language is not the deciding factor, but may play a role in, say, the timing of different stages of memory acquisition. Another older idea that might still have something to do with childhood amnesia what about the role of what researchers have called the cognitive self. I was reading about this in a paper called on Resolving the Enigma of Infantile Amnesia by Mark Howe and Mary Courage published in Psychological Bulletin in nineteen ninety three, and they discussed the idea of what if the crucial factor in the establishment of lasting autobiographical memories is the development of the concept of I and me, related in a way to the concept of theory of mind, understanding that your mind is different from the minds of others, that you know things other people don't know, and have thoughts and feelings other people don't have, and that they likewise know things and have thoughts and feelings that you cannot share in unless they tell you. Under this proposal, it's not until we have mastered the concept of a self different from others that we're able to organize our memories into a sensical form that can be retrieved across time. How encourage right in their conclusion quote. A series of significant developmental events take place when infants are between eighteen and thirty months of age that prepare them to talk about personally experienced events. First, at about eighteen months of age, infants learned to recognize their features in the mirror. The next acquisition is a more advanced representation of the self, reflected in the pronomial reference to the self as I and me. In the early months of the second year, Finally, the child learns to talk about immediate and then more distant past events in narrative the language of autobiographical memory. Both narrative and autobiographical memory continue to develop in structure, organization, and content over the preschool years, but by that time infantile amnesia is indeed a phenomenon of the past. And so this one's a little bit different because this one does not depend while it's related to language, their idea of the concept of the cognitive self does not rely entirely on language, and they think there are ways that the cognitive self can be demonstrated before a child acquires the words in which to express it. But they they think that the child needs a concept of self and I separate from the world and the events in the world in order to put the memories into a form that can later be accessed and expressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, because it sounds like without that, there's no there's no like weight, there's no structure. It's just like memories of potentially of just environments and in groups of people, without the actual connection of like this that this is a value because I am at the center of it.
Speaker 2: That's right, And that would connect again to the ideas about narrative and maybe the important role of say, evaluative statements about memories helping us to be able to recall them later.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The child is yeah, oh sorry, Yeah, the child is like, it's nice, but what is in it for me? Yeah? I remember it.
Speaker 2: So in the end, when I'm looking at all these explanations, I don't know. Of course, I'm you know, I'm not a neuros scientist or a developmental psychologist, so I don't pretend to be expressing expertise on this, but I just say, personally, I feel pretty convinced by the neurodevelopmental arguments, the ones about the development of the hippocampal memory system, that there's clearly some kind of like structural change going on in the brain in the early years of life, and this this plays a major role in why we don't retain all these memories until later life. As far as these explanations based in language and the cognitive self and stuff, I don't know. It seems like the evidence for them is a little bit softer, but I'm very interested in them, and they seem plausible to me at least. M yeah, yeah, But basically, all the papers I read on this subject, or you know the old cliche, they're calling for more research, like you know, widely acknowledging this is not a settled question, and so you know that we have some interesting ideas, but ultimately we don't know for sure. Childhood amnesia happens, and maybe more research could help settle it.
Speaker 1: Now, we've discussed false memories a good bit in these episodes, you know, talking about very early childhood memories that are to some degree falsified unaugmented, and you know, I think it's easy to mostly focus on the potential pitfalls of false memories or to land somewhere on sort of like the neutral impact that they may have. But I also wanted to tackle the question of just like why is it also advantageous to have false memories? Like why would this it all be adaptive? Is there an upside to this mental ability? Or is this just kind of junk? Is this just kind of a byproduct of the way that our brains have developed.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say that this is not the only way in which our brains consistently generate false beliefs. And I think when our brains do that, they're usually doing it for a reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and yeah, certainly this ties into larger issues of how we falsify beliefs, how we falsify memories, how we obsess over perhaps impractical ideas of what the future might hold. You know, I'm reminded of a couple of quotes here. I believe it was Alan Rogerley who commented that he may have been quoting somebody else actually, that repetition and recollection are the same force, but in different directions. I remember too, I think our Scott Baker commenting that science fiction and fantasy kind of both fulfill the same purpose, but going either into the past or into the future, sort of constructing an unrealistic but far fetched version of the future based on where we are now, and then the other is a version of the past that is equally fantastic and illogical and obviously not true, but telling about where we are in the present. So you know, we're these strange creatures that see ourselves as occupying this space, this now, and remembering what came before, predicting what is about to come. And then it's kind of open to discussion if there is actually a now point, like are we actually there? Or is that also a construction of the past. But any rate, I wanted to see what experts were saying about this, so I was reading a paper titled false Memories, What the Hell Are They For? By Aaron J. Newman and D. Stephen Lindsay published in Applied Cognitive Psychology Back in two thousand and nine, and I thought the author's made some good points here, and a number of these are going to be things that you know, we've discussed on the show before, or I guess generally understood about memory in the brain. But first of all, this is all part of mental our mental time travel abilities that enable us to experience our memories of the past with a feeling of subjective clarity, while also enabling us to produce mental models of potential futures. Quote. Recalling an autobiographical experience involves piecing together activated memorial information while at the same time making inferences based on other information available to us. Biases, stereotypes, and expectations that act on our current thinking also act on inferences that we make about mental events arising from the past. So obviously, given this system, failures are inevitable. Memory failures are inevitable false memories, along with inaccurate or unlikely ruminated scenarios of the future. This is all just part of living with our human understanding of reality, and so various methods can be used and have been studied to produce false memories of events. The authors point out these include suggestion via imagination, exercises, the use of photographs, dream interpretation, guided imagery, and paraphrasing. I mean, even this kind of joking example that we busted out earlier, of you bringing up a hypo ethical, entirely made up memory of childhood about crabs, and it was so loaded with crabs. It's a relatively easy exercise for one to then turn that back on the person who created and saying, well, is that completely made up? What does that say about you? Why did you bring up the crabs so many times? You know? And you can begin to build on that.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, And if you took that same story and said, hey, you know your parents told us the story about when you went to the beach when you were little. Do you remember this? Well, you might not necessarily at first, or you might think, well, maybe I do, And then over time that could very easily turn into what feels like a real memory for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it also Now, there are a number of factors to keep in mind too. It's worth noting that the results and experiments involving the creation or the fostering of false recollections it depends on the degree to which a memory is falsified. For example, in many of these experiments, you'll find examples where they'll find out about an actual childhood memory, like they would in this case, say talk to one of your parents and ask about your earliest speech encounter and then use that in the construction of a false memory. And then you also have to take into account the weight of the memory that is being built up or augmented. So it's one thing, for example, for me to suggest, yeah, maybe you were really fascinated by crabs like you like you were in this false story of childhood. It's another to say, you know, maybe that they had a you know, just you were profoundly frightened by the crabs and this like totally shaped to you. You know, it's like how how much weight are you putting on the memory? For instance, one study referenced in this paper had high results of memory inception when you were trying to get them to remember a childhood prank. Now, you know, nothing too severe, but you know something that where it's not going to like shake the core of their being or really mess around too many understandings of stuff. Is just like, let's generate this memory of this prank that probably didn't actually occur.
Speaker 2: Yes, So if I'm understanding, right, this might imply it's easier to generate a false memory for an event that is not really like, does not shake the core of your what how you would characterize your childhood, but rather for a kind of like weird, quirky, funny little event that doesn't really change anything about your life.
Speaker 1: Right. And of course, a lot of the very sorts of memories, early childhood memories that we've been discussing here, the kind that are sort of shared among family, are exactly the sort of memory you know. They're not necessarily profound or anything. They're amusing, they're fun, and therefore it's easy to grab onto it now. The authors also point out that social factors such as group membership in the media as well can seemingly influence memories like this as well quote socially driven distortions in memory these and they have several benefits for the individuals, such as improving social relationships within a group, or they may improve social group coherence. So false memories can be self enhancing in many ways, but they can also be group enhancing. And in this we're getting we're speaking broadly beyond merely like childhood memories, but even getting into things where say you were a part of a group, you join a group where memories of say even paranormal experiences have value. They bring you closer to the people in a group, or they enhance the overall connectivity of the group.
Speaker 2: This is exactly what I was going to hypothesize earlier when you were talking about so I brought up you know, there are other ways that our brain consistently produces false beliefs, and there you would suspect that there's probably an adaptive reason for doing that, like there's survival benefit, that's why our brains work that way. And my guess was going to be social function there that the same way that you know, we can have not false memories, but false beliefs about the external world. These can easily be induced through a concept known as identity protective cognition. You know, people will reason in ways that are not strictly logical and will come to conclusions that they would find to be false if they were disinterested in the issue, but there is some social identity reason for coming to that belief. You know, in order to fit in with my social group, I need to be the kind of person that believes X. So Actually I do believe X, and it is right, And I think the same could easily be true of memories. It probably matters more for your survival that you're getting along good with your group than that, like, you actually remembered what happened last Tuesday a year ago correctly. So if there's a way to remember that event incorrectly, but that would be sort of like fun to share as a group together, to tell that story and all bond and all feel good about each other, well then maybe you'll go that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I mean all this makes sense, I think because of course humans are highly social creatures. We've we've talked about this before. This has had an enormous impact on the human animal. So is it any surprise that we help each other remember events of our past. Is it any surprise that these memories may be distorted for the betterment of one's own integration with a group or the overall coherence of the group. Because for the social animal, the group is it's not just nice to have like the group is survival. Being able to bond with the group has has a real adaptive advantage and may and being able to fit in even if you're distorting the actual occurrence of events in the past. This may frequently outweigh the value of objective reality.
Speaker 2: So it's better if all your friends are laughing about, Hey, you remember that time, Johnny, I don't know, Yeah, chase me with esteamed crab and you don't really remember that. It's probably better for your brain to convince you you do remember that, so you can laugh along with everybody else than to say, like, no, I don't think that happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But again, these are generalizations, so you know, individual experience is gonna is going to differ, and they are all sorts of caveats that can come into play. But yeah, I think this is fascinating to think about now. In I think both of the last couple of episodes, we talked a little bit about myth babies and legendary babies of history, child Hercules, child Jesus, child Christian, and so forth. So I do have just a little bit more on this, getting into the idea of the child hero and the child saint.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna do another super baby sidebar here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this one, this one is going to end up bringing up child mortality again. So my apologies. It was not my intent to discuss this more, but in just diving into the topic it becomes an essential part of understanding some of these traditions. Okay, so first of all, just talking about infant heroes in Greek tradition. One paper I was looking at here is Baby and Child Heroes in Ancient Greece by Kareem and Dina Pash. And when it comes to the child hero proper and not merely the infant form of adult heroes, so not just merely baby hercules, but like a child hero that is a hero in and of itself. They are defined not by their actions and exploits, as with adult heroes, but by their untimely deaths, which immortalize them as in hero cults. And these include such examples as the children of Medea and the children of Heracles. To quote Pash here quote from parental fears and sense of guilt arise. The stories, songs and sanctuaries honoring child heroes, both myth and ritual, articulate these very basic human anxieties. Yet the emphasis is ultimately on the beauty that transcends the gruesomeness of these narratives and transforms dread into poetry. I think this is also interesting to consider when you look at the long list of child saints in the Christian tradition, and these include both martyred children and adults, as well as children who died at a young age, but were said to have been very mature, very holy in their young life in a way that it's almost like they were too holy for this world and therefore could not remain here. So just a couple of examples to illustrate both of these categories. There's Saint Rumwald of Buckingham from the year six sixty two, said to have lived only for three days, but the child was said to be able to speak and profess his faith right away. In fact, it's, according to the legend, requested his own baptism and even delivered a sermon.
Speaker 2: He requested it, But did he get it?
Speaker 1: Did they baptiste? Yeah, I believe that's part of the story. You got the baptism and then got to deliver a sermon, which you know is a comical image in some in some ways, but also you understand where the like the creative energy of this comes from, like the idea of like a child and the and the attachment we feel to a child, the perfection and yet imperfection of a child, and then if there is, and then when you factor in these various faith models of how salvation is supposed to work, if you you factor in just the trauma of losing a young child, you can see where stories like this could be created. And then, of course you also have examples of martyrs. Uh. There is a secarius of Bethlehem said to have been killed in King Herod's massacre of the innocent somewhere between seven and two BCE. The alleged remains of the child are still held as holy relics today. So in these cases, you know, the child is not my understanding, at least in this case. And this may vary from telling to telling. A case where the child itself is not said to have been holy or done anything holy, but was victim of some or allegedly the victim of some sort of heinous act.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd lean on allegedly on that one, because I think the story of the slaughter of the innocence, from what I recall, is largely considered to be legendary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's And of course it's very notable that some of the more notorious examples of child martyrs were utilized in cases of blood libel against Jewish communities. Hugh of Lincoln in the thirteenth century and Simon Trent in the fifteenth century, ving two prime examples. And these are sadly not the only examples. You can pull out cases where the you know, the alleged murder of a child was then used as an excuse for acts of violence against communities that were blamed with that to death. So obviously kind of a depressing place, I know, to wind up in this tangent, and I didn't really again, didn't really want to discuss dead children again, but I guess it's unavoidable. You know, why does a child stand out in a mythic narrative. It may be about who that child will become, but there's also a weight to the child that does not pass on into mythic adulthood, you know. And it can be clearly be leveraged in different ways as a rallying cry of martyrdom, as an inspiration of innocence, as an inspiration for violence and horror. You know, it can be the kind of narrative that can circumvent the cruelty of the world or inspire more cruelty there's you know you can you can go in various directions with it. Now, one final thing I wanted to discuss you a little bit, and I think we alluded to it a little bit earlier in this episode, is that you know. As we've discussed already, there are numerous examples of suggested falsified memories to turn to, including memories of various pair normal encounters, different forms of abuse, and indeed we can also throw supposed memories of past lives into the mix. You know you can, You'll have you. You can certainly find people who claim to remember very early childhood, people who claim to remember their birth, but also people who claim to remember a time before their birth, before they were born, either in the womb or before the womb, in another life before the womb. And you know, so you know it's uh. This again speaks to the power of our ability to create and falsify meaningful memories. And it's not too big of a leap, right, If you can already create a memory of a thing that didn't occur, it's not too much of a leap to remember supposed lives before this one as well, right, And there's a lot of individuals have written on this and theorized on this sort of thing. Check. Psychiatrist Stanislav Groff theorized that some near death experiences are actually a kind of channeling of birth memories, with the so called model of light representing the birth canal. This is skeptical about that, Yes, yeah, this is you know, very everyone has a right to be very skeptical of this. I've seen it refuted by skeptics on a number of grounds, including that the experience of being born would not look like this even if your infant head were in the right position and your eyes were actually open, and again you were capable of forming memories like this. So I think there's very strong reasons to be skeptical of this being an actual memory. But like we've said, you get in there and you start tinkering with your memories, start recalling them. You start bringing in content you know from different communities and learned individuals. You can start augmenting things, you can start falsifying things, and what you end up with can still be highly meaningful. It can still you know, to you. It can also have an impact on the creation of art and literature. If the name Stanislovgrov sounds familiar longtime listeners might remember it coming up in an episode that Christian and I did on the art of hr Giger, because these very metaphors, you know, the tunnel of light, near death, and pre birth, these were explored in some of Giger's art work, and Groff actually authored a twenty eighteen book of Giger's work titled hr Giger and the Zeitgeist of the Twentieth Century. Groff, by the way, was also a technical advisor on Douglas Trumbull's nineteen eighty three film Brainstorm that had Christopher Walkin in it. I believe so again not to say that these can't be potent ideas, but they do seem to stand outside of science there. You know, these are more We're getting more into the area of religion and myth and even the paranormal. But I think it all speaks to just how invested we can become in the story of us and those vast blank spaces in our recollection, as you know, as well as any glimmers that we might sense in the dark that we could then augment and sentuate into something else, something that is meaningful to us or makes us feel part of a group. Et cetera. And you know, there are examples of this line of thinking from outside of science, concepts of pre existence in various cultures. There's the concept of reincarnation or the transmigration of the soul, and we see this in various traditions, Greek traditions, early Jainism, Buddhism, Hinduism, medieval Jewish mysticism, new religious movements, and so many more examples.
Speaker 2: There were some early Christians who believed in reincarnation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was reading a little bit about this, you know, the idea of a pre mortal existence of the soul. Various strains of thought concerning that not only the idea that the human soul was was pre had a pre existence, that it was say, created before the physical creation of the universe. And I guess you know, the souls are just setting around waiting to be installed in a physical form. And then there is also a fair amount of thought about the idea of the pre existence of Jesus, of Jesus Christ, the idea that yes, God is going to take on this sort of mortal incarnation because he has to go to earth and die for everyone sins and so forth. But then there are there are these some lines of thought that are like, okay, well what was he doing before then? And I guess on one hand, you could say, well, he just had God had not incarnated yet, so it's like he hadn't butted off into a physical form. But then there are these other lines of thought it's like, oh, yeah, no, he's there, he's just setting around waiting, but he just hasn't gone to earth yet. For example, I was reading that there was one early Christian theologian I believe this is origin of I'll think of Alexandria, I lived at one through two fifty three, taught that human souls existed for before creation, and this was something that he would later be accused of heresy for. But yeah, I don't know. I mean, I think the big take home from all of this is that we have an impressive ability to create meaningful memories out of various sources that are not pure recollection to the limited extent that there is purely recollection of anything. And you know, I guess I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with fostering memories of infancy, birth or life before birth, so long as it improves one's quality of life, and it doesn't take anything away from you or others. You know. If that's the case, then what's the harm in it?
Speaker 2: I think the way I'd put my feeling is reminisce and enjoy your memories, but also be aware of the fact that some of them may not have a factual basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. When I was thinking about this, I was trying to think, well, how could it be harmful? And I think that the main sticking point that I could come up with is if one's claims of false memories could embolden harmful models and others. So this is just a purely hypothetical scenario. But imagine that you, through one method or another, we've discussed your fostered memory of alien abduction that for you is awe inspiring and beneficial. Like I remember seeing aliens when I was a child, and isn't that great? I you know, this this is my you know, brain expanding cosmost appreciating moment. But what if your pronounced belief in these experiences enable someone else to further engage in a harmful variation on it? Or on the other hand, what if here's another scenario, what if your harmless accounts of a past life embolden someone else to and then wind up in a situation where they're being manipulated or conned by someone who is taking advantage of this you know, longing for or recollection of a past.
Speaker 2: Life, telling you this stuff is real and I can I can find your past selves for you for a price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and you know, there's of course, there's can be a lot of gray area in any scenario like that, but you know, and this is hypothetical, but you know, it's worth considering. I think that in any given paranormal area, you know, it's going to be dependent on more than just mere professed experience and or augmented or false memories. There may also be disingenuous actors involved, manipulators of disinformation, and of course just outright con artists as well. So I don't know, food for thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd reiterate what I said. I mean, you know, you can, you can enjoy all your family memories and all the you know, all the good stuff, but also just be realistic about the fallibility of memory.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if there were a video camera present, it may not actually have happened to the way you remember it. But you know that our memories all we've got, yeah, or in many cases it's all we got. I guess sometimes you did have a video.
Speaker 1: Camera there, Yeah, yeah, you have the video, the video and you have the photographs which then can of course be used to multi my memories. Yeah. So yeah, there's and of course with advances and technology, things are only going to get more complicated on that. On those grounds, all right, we're going to go and close out this trilogy of episodes here, but we'd continue to love to hear from everyone out there if you have thoughts on early childhood memories, you want to share early childhood memories, you know, memories of past live is it, any of anything that falls under the under the heading of the topic here, you know, write in We would love to listen to you and discuss any of this potentially on future episodes of Listener Mail. Listener Mails published on Mondays. On Wednesdays, we do short form artifact or monster fact episodes. Core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and on Fridays we do Weird House Cinema. That's our time to set aside most serious concerns and just talk about a weird film.
Speaker 2: Huge thanks to our audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.