Speaker 1: Did you have dolls when you were growing up? I did? What was your favorite like doll? Line? Were you a Barbie person? Did you like Skipper? I remember, God, I can't believe I even know what Skipper is. But do you remember all this stuff I do?
Speaker 2: But my bar and I had the Barbie dream House and tons of them, the cars, the all the stuff I did. But those that my Barbie dolls were not actually my favorite doll.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite doll?
Speaker 2: A Barbie? A doll that was you know? I was really like tiny, and my doll Gidget was.
Speaker 3: Almost my size. She was just smaller than me.
Speaker 1: And my Gidget like from the fifties television Gidget was it? No?
Speaker 2: No, She had blonde hair, big blue eyes, and I like could put her in a like a high chair and I would curl her hair. She didn't have hair that you couldn't curl, or maybe my mom didn't let me heat it.
Speaker 3: I probably eat it, that's probably better.
Speaker 1: But I would to stay with her hair.
Speaker 2: And she was and she had a little cassette tape, you know in the back to where I could put cassette TETs and she'd say, tell me stories and we would I would use that like as we were just chatting right like. And I loved her and I still have her, and she's up in my I thought about her while I was watching this. She's up in my raptor, like the rafters in my garage, and anytime I go up there, I swear she.
Speaker 4: Moves, go oh God, and she's all like dirty and gross, and her hair's just like fried hopful now, like a pathetic looking doll.
Speaker 3: But I cannot get rid of her. She was just such a huge part of.
Speaker 2: It's not I don't even know why I'm holding onto it, so it's not like I'll ever give it to Monroe that will terrify.
Speaker 1: I'm googling it now because I want to see if I can find an image of Gidget I.
Speaker 3: But then someone told me that wasn't her name.
Speaker 1: Might I'm thinking that's the name you gave her, because I'm dying to know what the name is. I don't want to know the doll.
Speaker 2: She was bit like she had like she wasn't like a doll, like it's like a Barbie size in any sort.
Speaker 3: She was like a giant, giant doll.
Speaker 2: And I loved her, and she had so many outfits I still have a lot of the outfits.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, note to self, when I go to your house, don't go open to the crawl space.
Speaker 2: I'll go up looking for like a suitcase or like my snowboard, and then boo, there's oh.
Speaker 1: God, just smoking a cigarette. How are you, Sabrina. It's nice that time.
Speaker 3: It looks like she has been smoking for decade.
Speaker 1: Exact nice. Great, Oh man, you weren't.
Speaker 3: Expecting that story.
Speaker 1: Where are you, tiny little meth head up there? Awesome? Well, we welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time and all the houses are smart, the waves tsunamis, and Sabrina's doll wasn't working the streets.
Speaker 3: I'm Wilfredell and I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: Well, if all of you out there have ever watched the horror movie Child's Play and thought to yourself, hmm, this would be a good movie. If the chucky doll wasn't scary at all it was actually just Tyr Banks, then boy, you're in luck, cause we're getting into the two thousand wonderful Old of Disney Fever Dream Life Size. Now, this is a movie that was regularly mentioned by our listeners on our social media and I'm not sure if it was brought up sarcastically or if people actually like it, but it was highly requested for at least two reasons, and those are two big name stars. Life Size debut on March fifth and two thousand on ABC. So this is basically a network d com. We don't like to say that it's a wonderful old of Disney though that sort of defeats a definition if we call it a ABC dcom. This movie is also regularly seen as the first ever live action Barbie movie, despite not having the rights of the iconic character. The director has even revealed that the original title for the movie was Ken and Barbie. So over two decades before Greta Gerwig, Fine inspiration and a Doll coming to life. We give you Life Size. Another change they made to the original script actually plays into the movie's music. The big theme song be a Star. Oh we'll get into that might be the dolls calling card, but that's because the doll's original name in the script was Star, but because of appending doll that was in development by a company, they were legally forced to change the name, but they left the song as is cuz why not. And that's not even in the top ten confusing things in this movie. And while we're talking about music, Life Size features two songs by the Irish girl group Bewitched and one from another Disney signed act, Some Ladies That were Very Close to My Heart Nobody's Angel. The pop act appeared on an episode of Boy Meets World as a group of sisters that Corey and Shawn magically meet at a diner on a road trip. Surreal episode, but nice Girls. Filming took place over three weeks in Vancouver, so even though it aired on ABC, it still took place in the northern d com capital, and eagle eyed viewers can easily catch locations thanks to the BC license plates and international flag scene throughout the movie. But who's nitpicking Life Size? We are that too. It's our job right here, yep. Thanks to a modest six million dollar budget, Life Size was considered a big hit for Disney and deemed a cult classic quote sleepover rewatch staple unquote. Collider contributor Kendall Myers said it handles difficult subject matter and allows Eve to ask deep questions about themes like femininity, grief, and self discovery. I feel like I watched a different film, Laura Piaister of E said, quote, we are not ready for the movie. We actually got an unexpectedly funny and sweet film that was also a lot more feminist on quote than remembered. Again, I feel like I watched a different movie. It goes without saying. Discourse about Life Size escalated after the billion dollar performance of Barbie and similar themes that happened there. We already talked about your doll situation. I don't want to get into Methead Abbey or whatever the doll's name was. Again, also thanks to the viral life of this movie. Eighteen years after Life Size debuted, Life Size two, this time It's Personal, aired on Freeform in twenty eighteen with Tyra Banks reprising her role, but Lohn missed out due to what was being called scheduling conflicts. But as recently as March of this year, Tyra has talked about the development of Life Size three. So we'll have to wait and see if it takes another eighteen years to complete the trilogy, and Life Size, of course, is currently available to watch on Disney Plus but it was absent from all streaming services for a very long time since it was a wonderful World of Disney release, which we know those can get tangled. That was the same thing for My Date with the President's Daughter and ah Doable hockey Sticks. Though unlike those mil To Incredible films, it did get a DVD and Blu Ray release. Thank you, I Love How You Laughed. I'm to talk about that later. It was never available for purchase or rental online until just a few weeks ago, and on November seventh of this year, it was added to Disney Plus in a new HD widescreen transfer. Hallelujah. So you know what to do. Watch it now or watch it later. Luke Skywarker and Darth Vader hate the game, not the player. Let's sing Daughters by John Mayer. Huh you like it? Thats a song? Anyway? What did you know about Life Size before we were assigned it as a homework assignment?
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the thing. I thought I had watched this movie before.
Speaker 3: I thought I did. I really did.
Speaker 2: I recognized Tyra Banks being it Lindsay Lohan, But as I was watching it and the storyline starts to play out, I realized the movie I was thinking of was it involved where it was a mannequin that turned into a life size person.
Speaker 1: So maybe you were thinking of mannequin, Is.
Speaker 3: That a man?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: It is that it?
Speaker 1: Well, there's twasnquin and then there's Mannequin two. I think they made a second one who somebody else plays the mast Okay.
Speaker 3: I think that's what I was thinking when I thought, yes.
Speaker 1: There was like the original mannequin. If memory serves as like she was an Egyptian princess or something and a curse was put on her and she was made into a mannequin, and then she's awakened again at night to help him modern day, like do the storefronts in New York City.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, that's sounding more familiar than what I thought. So I had really honestly thought, and I guess they just have known about the Lindsay Loan and Tyra Banks movie because I the second it starts going and the the storyline.
Speaker 3: Of how the how the doll everything, I was like, Oh, this.
Speaker 1: Is not this is this is not this is okay.
Speaker 3: So what I watching Mannequin it is called yeah, okay, So no, I had.
Speaker 2: Nothing as far as seeing it before. Okay, but I was excited to see Tyra Banks and Lindsay Lowan. I love Lindsay Lohan, so I was going, I'm gonna sit through another great movie that Lindsay Lohan did when she was little.
Speaker 1: Did you well get into that? I obviously had heard nothing about this, didn't know anything about it, never even heard the title. Ladies and gentlemen, thank you very much for this.
Speaker 3: One, and now it's time.
Speaker 1: To bring a beautiful stranger to work. Let's get into the synopsis. A lonely teen accidentally brings a fashion doll to life while trying to resurrect her late mother. Together, they navigate friendship, identity, and growing up as the doll learns what it actually means to be human. Early thoughts, Sabrina, what did you think of the movie?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Early thoughts? I had to.
Speaker 2: Turn it off for a second because I instantly realized I wasn't in the right mindset to watch it and I needed I instantly realized I needed to be I needed to be in a younger like watching it as someone.
Speaker 3: Maybe a little bit like an eight year old.
Speaker 2: That's where I felt like I was going, Okay, this isn't You're not getting into that like age demo of.
Speaker 3: Where it is.
Speaker 2: So I had to stop, reset, sat back down, and it did get better because at first I came Yeah, at first, I was like, this doesn't like there was I was noticing too many things right from the beginning. I also recognized too, I have seen the movie Barbie, and their take on it of being a very big on comedy aspect of it was like blurring my my vision and my thoughts.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it yet. I haven't seen it yet, so yeah.
Speaker 3: So I had to reset.
Speaker 2: I was like, nope, you're not going into this. This is a fan favorite. I know the fans out there are loving it. They're excited for us to rewatch this. Everyone is because it just came on Disney plus pull your together.
Speaker 3: And start over.
Speaker 2: And it got It got better immensely, immensely from the beginning because at first I was going down. I was going hard, like I mean it was. It was going down a steep slope real quick.
Speaker 1: O me. Yeah, this movie for me was again I have no nostalgia attach to these movies, so I can sit there and say, hey, I'm gonna try to watch it like a kid, but I can't. I can't. I'm an almost fifty year old man watching a movie, and sometimes so to me when I'm watching these movies. Great movies don't matter how old you are when you watch them. Right, Christmas Story is always going to be a great movie. I don't need to watch it as if I'm eight. The Zombies movies, Descendants, some of the things we've seen, I don't need to stop it.
Speaker 3: I guess that we just watched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, there are movies that we've seen that are great and I don't and we get some hate online where it's like, you don't understand you have to watch this movie like you're five. No, I'm sorry. A great movie I shouldn't have to watch like that. And this movie, a lot of this movie made no sense. The things that were happening in this movie were weird and made no I mean, just made no sense. And they're talking about feminism and it's like a lot of the parts of this movie are, hey, if you were just a little prettier, your life's gonna get better, and that's feminism, Like, come on, that's not feminism at all.
Speaker 2: But see if you watch the Barbie movie. Now, the new it it.
Speaker 3: They do it right. It's in highlights. Yes, even more that this messaging is far.
Speaker 2: From feminism and that's what we've been taught as being the correct thing for a very long time.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that's what this has weird. This was this was weird to me. And again I will say this right right off the bat. If they do a lit they put a list together of some of the best child actress of all time, there's no way Lindsay Lohan is not on that list. Absolutely, She's great. She is a very competent young actress. In this movie and in most of the other movies that I've seen. I know she's had her problems later in life. Thank god, she's having a resurgence. Now we'll get into that a little bit. But as a young actress and in films like this, she was good, so good. It's the material and this script to me was just very weird. Yeah, so let's get into it, okay. The movie was directed by Mark Rossman, a name we recently put in the Spotlight as he was the man behind the dcom Model Behavior, which we liked, which makes sense to me since they have very similar vibes in the movie. Thematically, and they definitely do. You can see that. He also directed episodes of Even Stevens and Lizzie MacGuire, which turned into a very fruitful relationship with Hillary duff as he teamed up with her in movies A Cinderella Story and The Perfect Man, which, contrary to popular belief, is not a documentary about me. And like I said, this movie has a long life thanks to its two main stars. First up, we have thirteen year old Lindsay Lohan as Casey Stewart. This was part of Lohan's three picture deal with Disney, the first real fruitful result of a newfound teenage fame thanks to her film debut in The Parent Trap. Lohan was one of the brightest stars of her generation, and rightfully so. Mean Girls be an absolute classic, and her appearances on Snela also major standouts. But of course, she gained a reputation as a party girl and had hard times in her personal life, as many young stars do. We've seen them all, but luckily for all of us, she's currently in a career resurgence and seems happier than ever and she looks great and so you know, seriously rooting for Lindsay Lohan absolutely. She recently starred in the Disney hit Freakier Friday and is right back in the Hollywood Mix. You said you were a big Lohan fan too, right, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean she had me at parent trap like hook Line Sinker. She's just so good and truly everything that she's in. Yeah, I'll watch it. I'll absolutely watch it. I will definitely support and I love you know, everyone loves a comeback story, and I'm happy to be one of the ones root for her.
Speaker 1: And until you walk in somebody's shoes and you know how difficult. Everybody said, well, you're a big star, you shouldn't have any problems. Again, I was not that level or even close and so and that's hard enough. So I couldn't imagine you're dealing with that, you old famous. It's very difficult when you're eleven. Let's give some people a break.
Speaker 3: I mean, she got her.
Speaker 2: It seemed like her stardom hit and when it hit, it exploded her so fast, so fast.
Speaker 1: And that can be daunting. So it is also worth pointing out Lohan's siblings, Michael, Aliana and Dakota show up in the movie as uncredited cameos, cheering in the football Stands. And then we got Tyra Banks and what was her first starring role. Banks was one of the world's biggest supermodels who had a meteoric rise to fame as the host of America's Next Top Model and her own talk show, The Tyra Banks Show. She also appeared in movies like Higher Learning, Coyote, Ugly, and Love and Basketball. She most recently appeared on Blackish and the drama bell Air. She moved a bit out of the spotlight, but it's still it's Tyra Banks. And she was also great, and she's just distractingly good looking.
Speaker 3: My goodness.
Speaker 2: It was again just like Sarah Jessica Parker in Hocus Focus.
Speaker 3: Every time she comes from scene, you're like, god, you just take my back the way. It's like, it's not like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Tyra Banks is a gorgeous woman, but this movie, it's.
Speaker 3: Everything about her was just insane.
Speaker 1: It's daggering, yep, amazing wow. And then we got veteran character actor Jerry Burns is Ben Stewart Casey's dad. He is best known as Win Duffy from the TV show Justified, but his long list of projects goes from Hill Street Blues, great show and Blossom, great show to Lucifer and burn Notice and the rest of the cast is mostly rounded out with less familiar faces. But I did want to point out Jillian Fargee as Ellen and Magical Rewinders. Though might remember her from the first zene On movie where she played a reporter. Okay, so maybe don't remember her, but either way she Yeah, she's a see it on, So we're bringing it, bring it in full circle. Yes, we know the movie is life Size, but is it too long? Well, let's find out. Life Size runs one hundred and one minutes, brutal result, you hate to see it eleven minutes over the target, which is painfully over the top and just respectful. I will try my hardest to move on, but I feel as though my good name has been besmirched.
Speaker 2: The disrespectful, dispectful to me personally, to me time and energy.
Speaker 1: One hundred and one minutes, like I'm just pulling time off of trees. Yikes. Life Size writing credits are split between the director Rossman and Stephanie Moore. Moore's only real writing credit is Life Size one, and then she got the character credit in the sequel. And now let's get your tiny little convertible ready because sunny Vale is always eighty degrees and NASA is waiting. Let's get in to life size. We're thrown right into a retro commercial for a doll named Eve Very Barbie Codd gallivanting on the beach. She's catching waves in sunny Veil, driving a convertible to flirt with boys, and going to the mall. We hear the upbeat be a Star theme song, and overall Eve seems like she's kind of got her together. Career wise. She gon to be a doctor, or a cop or a homemaker, while at night she can attend an elegant ball with a handsome man friend. And then boom, we are instantly thrown into real life. A group of girls are checking out Eve dolls in the window of a toy store. The youngest doesn't want one. She wants something with quote unquote microchips. She walks off, depressing the shop owner. Now we're on a football field. The players of Windsor are stinking up the joint, yelling at each other after dropped pass and when it was a drop pass, I mean this, dude, it's like sorry to hitch you in the hands, bro, I mean, dude, I get that, but you're wide open and wow, maybe make him alignment because that guy he's got hands like feet the QB. Then Casey Stewart is taken out of the game by the coach for a bad attitude. As Casey takes off a helmet, she's revealed to be a girl, Lindsay Lowhand to be specific, and I thought that was kind of a cool reveal of the character. The receiver, who goes by the last name Wiener, and Casey continue to bicker as they walk off the field, with Casey being told to go home and play with her dolls. Now on the bench, the coach is not happy. The behavior has to stop. It's just a game. She looks at the stands and unfortunately doesn't spot any of her family members there, and that's because her dad, Ben is busy at work, just realizing he's missed her game. He's clearly bummed. His coworkers try to make him feel better, and this is where we start getting some of the weirdest coworkers in the.
Speaker 3: History coworkers of life.
Speaker 1: He's h and R a nightmare. O. God. Yeah, he's been busy trying to make partner and Casey will understand, but he's not buying it. His pretty coworker, Drew they're like in a meeting and is just openly hitting on him, essentially, you know, offers to make him and his daughter dinner as an opportunity to relax. He politely passes tomorrow's Casey's birthday, and he promises her.
Speaker 2: Opportunity to relax, opportunity to hop in his bed.
Speaker 1: Like I'm saying it's a little much, yeah, but he says tomorrow's Casey's birthday, and he's promised her a night alone together once Drew leaves. His then super pervy mail coworker Richie is impressed by the obvious post gospel date he could have agreed to, but Ben says, even two years later, he's not ready to move on, even though Karen would have wanted him to. And yes, ladies and gentlemen, we've got a dead mom alert. That night, Casey is working on her computer looking at resurrection spells on a very budget Internet one point zero website, you know, like young keen girls did in the year two thousand. She's looking to bring back a lost soul and has suggested a book called Hole's Craft, a book of the Dead Life Reborn. She finds a nearby store that has it in stock. It's called Past Pages, and as a book nerd, when she walked into that store, I was like, oh God, I just want to stay here for two hours. That's worth one hundred and one minutes. Her dad returns home from work and she quickly hides her research. She jumps into bed and wishes him a good night. Ben knows he needs to apologize, but for her, the time has long pass for him to apologize. He congratulates her on the win. The championship game is now next week, but she doesn't expect him to attend at all. We can see that this is obviously something that's been going on for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Her dad explains that me making partners a big deal for him in the family, so he doesn't make any promises, but says either way, Sunday will just be them for their birthday. She asked if everything happens for a reason, and with his dead wife obviously on their mind, he says, some things just happen. Casey looks at a frame picture of her dead mom and then cries herself to sleep. It's a very rough way to start a movie. Yes. The next day, those same four girls who were checking out Eves dolls at the start of the movie are walking down the street once again. Their conversation is interrupted as she walks towards them. The youngest girl tells her older sister and her older sister's friends to be nice, but they aren't. They say she needs to just get over her dead mom, and one girl asks her to join her at the mall, but Casey quickly declines. She says, there's more to life than shopping. I couldn't agree more shopping is the worst. Also, get over your dead mom.
Speaker 2: It was like, yikes, damn, I know, I mean, and I know girls at certain ages can be harsh, but or just a little aloof like not realizing. But right, anyone that has ever had anyone they know, even if it's just an acquaintance that has had a family member, you know pass away, has the ability to have some empathy.
Speaker 1: It's just a jerk, yeah, exactly. After ditching her old friend, she makes her way to the bookstore and then goes to the occult section and metaphysics section, which is hidden in the back like an adult movie closet. Right right, it's like she had to sneak in, like you never go past.
Speaker 2: If there's hanging beads, you always know you stay on the first side.
Speaker 3: You never go past them because there are not good things.
Speaker 1: But anybody, anybody who loves literature will tell you books can be dangerous. There's some dangerous books out there. But yes, there aren't, thankfully any adult movies. But thankfully for her, just the books she was looking for. But it's a whopping one hundred and fifty dollars and she only has sixty three. And so she does what any god fearing young girl would do. She steals the owner, eventually finds an IOU note for it, and she runs off. That night, Casey's in bed learning how to resurrect a dead person. And now it's the next day. It's Casey's birthday. Her dad videos her celebrating with a cake. She makes a wish and blows out the candles, telling her dad she wished for her mom to somehow come back. And I think we're all in the same boat. I thought it the second had happened, that if you tell someone your wish, it doesn't come true. That's just science.
Speaker 3: Of course, what an idiot, It's what I'm on an.
Speaker 1: Idiot, that's who who blows out the candles and goes, you know what I wished for? Nobody does that. That movie. The movie lost me at that point. I'm kidding, it lost me right at the beginning. No, I'm kidding. Her dad tells her that magic isn't real. Life doesn't work that way, which is what their therapist has also told them. Casey is critical of her dad. He never talks about mom, and on cue he changes the subject. He shows her some old Super Bowl tickets. They reminisce about that day and hanging out with her mom, and that's when the doorbell rings. It's that pretty coworker jew who obviously can't take a hint. He you know, she's saying he forgot something at the office, and now she reminds him that he promised to review her draft, which is, believe it or not, not a euphemism. He invites her in and she wishes Casey a happy birthday. It's like, I'm gonna be your mother, damn it, I know. And here's a really weird it's weird, it's weird. She hands over a gift and it's a special limited edition Eve doll. She's wearing a bright orange outfit and can talk. Casey obviously isn't impressed. She's too old for dolls, and she's too old for dolls. I get where they're going, and I get They added the line, well, I didn't play with dolls either, but I started collecting them when I was your age. It was like, I get what you're doing. But a you push in. The guy has already said I don't want to see you once. Then he said, it's my daughter's birthday and I'm spending the day with her by myself. She still shows up.
Speaker 2: Not like you forgot that it was Oh I forgot it was I forgot it's her birthday.
Speaker 3: No, you know because you brought a present.
Speaker 2: You purposely tried to ruin this young girl's birthday who is suffering from the loss of her mother.
Speaker 3: Yes away and never come back. Thank you who drew? It was really.
Speaker 1: Really off putting this character old plushy so plus yah and gets worse and gets worse.
Speaker 3: What were you? What? I just to me? What was your thought process? You thought you were gonna get some points here?
Speaker 1: How did this work? And again? So okay? So now she's alone in her room. She throws the eve doll on her shelf and goes back to reading that intricate resurrection spell and constructing some sort of magic pentagram. She needs a remnant from the person she's trying to bring back, so she finds her mom's old hair brush. Now, how do we know it's her mom's old hairbrush because she holds it in whispereds mom's brush, hairbrush.
Speaker 2: Also, that's not your mom's hair brush, that's your great grandma from like three hundred years ago.
Speaker 3: That Actually it's such an antique.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was that thou brush?
Speaker 2: I will say, my grandma had a brush a set like that. She had a pretty little box and pretty set back in the door in a mirror and a puff.
Speaker 1: Yep, but like that was much Noh, yes, and it's still obviously the brush has her mom's hair in it. She talks out loud to herself again, asking for her mom to show up for her one more time. The spell's ready, but it only worked once. And then there's a knock at the door of her bedroom and it's Drew, her father's coworker, who's just trying to take her spot as her mom, coming into her bedroom and trying to salvage the night with the daughter of the guy she wants to bang. It's so off putting.
Speaker 3: Oh and it's like, why are you still here? Why are you still here?
Speaker 1: It is so and now I'm gonna I'm gonna go in and talk to your daughter, like, who the are you, lady?
Speaker 3: And where is her dad? I was pissed at her dad?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Why is this woman going anywhere near you? Obviously know she tries she's trying to be polite by taking herself out of this awk situation that your person has pushed their selves into.
Speaker 3: Now you're allowing.
Speaker 2: Her to take her She looked like she had a jacket onto or something like. She looks a little bit more comfortable at some point, I can't remember exactly, but you're gonna let her go upstairs to your kid's room where your kids just trying to have a moment like okay.
Speaker 1: I don't so anyway, our damn list, I'm telling you. So. She's impressed with Casey's room and goes to examine one of her trophies and just then accidentally drops a football, causing chaos around her magic pentagram. Everything goes flying from the shelf, including the Eve doll. Casey is obviously upset, packs up her magic alter and walks out as Drew apologizes and for her magical yeah she does, takes it away and now, for no reason at all, now alone, Drew uses Casey's dead mom's brush to proudly comb Eve's hair, and now the comb has Eve's hair in it. It is an insane chain of events with an awful character who's pushing her self on this poor little girl who is just trying to get through her mother's death. And we're like twelve minutes into this movie, Yes we are.
Speaker 2: I'm like, holy cow, this is gonna be such a long night, Like.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm so irritated.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm so it was just and I know people are gonna come at us, come out, justify this to me. I want to hear you justify this to me, because can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are there are just some significant parts throughout the movie where there are moments like this where you're going, what is happening?
Speaker 1: It's unhinged. It's unhinged, And again it's unfortunate because this is I'm gonna keep saying this this entire time. Linday little Hand's great.
Speaker 3: Great, so good.
Speaker 2: Like even how she like responds to the awkward situation, and when she comes in, her freak out is the exact way I would have imagine someone her age would freak out on somebody.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: She's spot on, spot on yep.
Speaker 1: So she then places the Eve on a nightstand, forcing the doll into this poor young girl's life. When Casey returns, Drew apologizes because she's obviously still in her room, wishing her a happy birthday and mercifully leaving. So now, with everything calm, Casey returns to the spell She lights a candle and recites the words Zamba tarka ish to nabarum. I hope I didn't just bring somebody back. I know. I'm like, oh jeez, my god, I have a g I Joe next to me. I'm gonna wake up with this giant g I Joe in my bed.
Speaker 3: You got a lot of the back there, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yikes. The ron stoppable doll is going to come to life and kill me. So she keeps saying it, keeps doing it, keeps doing it, and the spell book starts to shake and glow, and so does Eve. Everything starts to glitter and glow, and Eve eventually falls off the nightstand. The next morning, Casey's asleep in bed, still chanting the spell, and in bed with her it's human Eve half asleep. Oh okay, this is where the movie when I like so Drew then also messed up. She really, what could have resurrected her mom?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 1: So? Why not? She also said the book says you can only do it once. Is that once per book or once per person? Because if it works, why at the end wouldn't she say, Dad, the resurrection spell worked, Why don't you do it and actually bring Mom back? Well?
Speaker 3: I know, okay, why not?
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't think it was to bring It doesn't necessarily mean that it'd be bringing mom back. I believe that the idea is that to bring Mom back through some way.
Speaker 3: So it could have been a cat, it could have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how it's not bringing the actual human back, bringing.
Speaker 3: Her soul back.
Speaker 2: So I felt like I thought this movie was going like her soul was in the body of this.
Speaker 1: No, she was trying to resurrect her mom, and instead the one thing that she needed, the hair, was now the hair of the doll. So the doll came to life. So if it was still her mom's hair, she would have resurrected her mom.
Speaker 3: Correct, But I thought it was the mix between the mom and the doll here.
Speaker 1: Oh see, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think that's where I was going. That's what I thought.
Speaker 1: Well, but that it didn't play out because she says I'm Eve and she has.
Speaker 3: No it didn't, But that's what I thought was going to happen.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I know the first time this made no sense to me because then I was like, well, wait, so then the resurrection spell would have worked. So Drew forced herself into your life, forced herself into your room, and then messed up an actual opportunity for you to resurrect your mom. And then when you find out the resurrection spell does work, you don't tell your dad at the end to get the book and actually resurrect your mom like what it did. That's why I was just going, wait, so it worked. She really could have resurrected her mom.
Speaker 3: I don't know where we went.
Speaker 1: We did not because she wakes up next to a human ev.
Speaker 2: Mom is coming through this doll. Now she's gonna realize it's the mom. And then I find out no, that's not it, So then I'm really confused.
Speaker 1: Thank you. So she's half asleep, Casey assumes it's her mom, only to open her eyes and scream. She grabs a bat and immediately puts two and two together. It's Eve. The beautiful supermodel of a human is in fancy red dress and proclaims that Casey is her special friend. Eve quickly learns her ankles and wristsmooth all articulations that didn't exist in the doll. Casey can't believe what she's done. Now she'll never be able to bring back her mom, but Eve is thrilled. Casey rushes to the book to see if she can reverse the spell, but that's in volume two, and then her dad pops in. Eve eagerly wants to know who that is, but Casey blocks the door. If he finds out about Eve, he'll send her back to the psychiatrist, which seems like the least of her problems. But okay. He reminds his daughter it's their day together, but obviously his daughter has other things to tend to. He hears Eve's voice and is confused, but gives her some time alone. Anyway, Eve is investigating the room and starts blasting music and watching TV. Everything is so fascinating, but she wonders where all of her clothes and accessories are. Casey breaks it to her she's going to be a doll again once she gets her hands on volume two of the spell Book. This movie is weird now because again, so Eve knows she's the doll the whole time, yes, but can't move her wrists and arms or move in any way, shape or form. So she's just trapped soulless in a doll. Yes, So it's hell.
Speaker 2: It's literal hell, right, And this is where I'm telling you when you've if you've seen the movie, the.
Speaker 3: Barbie movie, right, But we can't.
Speaker 2: We can't do that, correct, I know, But it's very hard to not compare and contrast.
Speaker 1: Because I've never seen it.
Speaker 3: The way they do.
Speaker 2: It makes sense, they explain it, and there's a thing that makes sense about it.
Speaker 3: This doesn't, this.
Speaker 1: Doesn't, this doesn't. I don't get it. So now out in the town and on their way to the Magic Store, which is the bookstore, Eve is stumbling around taking everything in. She smells a rose for the first time and loves it. Then she smells and she hates it. Back at home, Casey's dad walks into a room and sees the spell book, the one hundred and fifty dollars receipt, and a bookmark with the store's name and over at that same bookstore, Casey, who remembers stole the book, sends Eve inside to get the second volume, but they don't have it in stock. The owner explains to Eve he had volume one, but a young girl stole it. Eve excitedly tells him she knows who that girl is and walks him outside to meet her, which is funny. Casey runs off, knowing she's about to get busted, and Eve follows close behind. And then in the chase, Casey trips and falls in the middle of the street, and now a huge truck is speeding towards her that's still nine miles away from her. He honks over and over again, but doesn't actually hit the brakes.
Speaker 3: At all, break at all, which.
Speaker 1: He had three days to stop the truck.
Speaker 3: At least a block. I don't know it's block.
Speaker 1: Eve holds out her hand, finally getting him to pump the brakes and stop right before a palm. Casey's dad sees it all. He rushes to embrace his daughter. He was returning the book that he found, but is so thankful for Eve, who says it was nothing. I was a police officer and that was funny. It's the first kind of genuine laugh of the movie. It's like bringing that back, very funny. This is again where it just gets so weird. Casey's dad introduces himself and Eve gets to flirting with him quick and an agitated Casey runs off again. We're now back at home. Casey's passed out on the couch and ice packed her head. She eventually wakes up and her dad informs her that she fainted. Casey assumed she had a nightmare about a doll coming to life, but when she sees Eve's slaughter house, the reality sinks in the living doll suggests they go to the mall. So the trio, of course, that's what you do. Now, pile into Ben's car and Eve is fascinated by the convertible and we find ourselves in a true relic of culture, a early two thousands mall. It's packed, has a water fountain. Eve loves it. Everyone is having a blast at the mall. It's like the greatest place anyone has ever been. Everything in her hometown of Sunny Vale is plastic, and she has no idea where she's even gonna stay. Now. Eve gets on her first escalator like she's a fawn taking her first steps, and finds a Betsy Johnson dress in a store window. She doesn't have a credit card, so Ben suggests giving her a loan and offering her the guesthouse, which was his dead wife's old studio as temporary housing. He's known this woman for a total of like forty five minutes, and he's giving her money and moving her into their home. I wasn't yelling at the screen at this point, but I was like, what is this story? Like, what the hell is this story? I don't want to date, I'm not ready to move on. I'm not spending enough time with my daughter. Total stranger I meet on the street, moving her into my home and giving her money in forty five minutes. Yeah, it is such a crazy story. Like just and if this is all scripts the acting, fine, the tank's great, what is this story?
Speaker 3: It's the script?
Speaker 2: But also like, as as anything, even if you could try to get some weight behind it, there were no real questions of her life in general at all, like just a few It wasn't like she.
Speaker 3: Had its chance. But she's telling him any kind.
Speaker 2: Of life story that he would be feeling empathetic towards, except for the fact that she has no money and doesn't know where she's gonna stay.
Speaker 1: She's pretty and homeless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are the only tidbits.
Speaker 1: It's like, that's it. You don't know nothing about this woman.
Speaker 2: I couldn't help but think of now in twenty twenty five, feeling.
Speaker 3: Like this is a scam artist, like just lunching onto a poor man.
Speaker 1: And I just really like you and your family and if you could give me your Social Security number, that would be great. Yeah, really crazy. Uh so yeah, Casey obviously can't believe what he's doing, and rightfully so. And then he pulls away by taking a call on his flip phone. So we'll leave her with the total stranger. He rushes off to buy clothes and judge women, and for Coats, I, who loves fashion, is clashing with tomboy Casey, who knows this is all Drew's fault. And now, with a ton of options in hand, it's true and no exactly Drue, And now with a ton of options in hand. Eve wants Casey to dress her the stranger. No one's ever dressed me, you need to dress me. So then we have a montage of beautiful tier Banks trying on outfits, and you are assuming being stripped, naked and redressed by a thirteen year old girl every time. Oh God, come after please come after me and tell me why I'm wrong about this movie. I will again, I've said this before. I will take your criticism and I will wrap it like a warm blanket around myself.
Speaker 2: Luckily, you know I usually we usually want to see things that prove that, not just having to.
Speaker 3: You know, expect or you know, assume.
Speaker 2: I am so lucky for a very first time, probably that they didn't show us scenes Yes, Lindsay Lohlan, thank god dressing Tira.
Speaker 1: Dressing Tyra Banks, undressing and dressing a supermodel because Tyra Banks needed someone a dress her. So eventually they're joined by Ben, who's clearly attracted to one of the most beautiful supermodels in the world, who's just appeared with his daughter and doesn't mind that apparently, hopefully he doesn't know that she's been stripping her naked and dressing her in other things. This stranger. The trio go to lunch together and Eve eats for the first time. When Ben offers her butter for her bread, she just eats the entire square. So if you were Casey's dad, what would you do now? I mean, this seems like an insane reaction to everything that's happening. Am I wrong?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: In all honesty, I mean, as much as I am watching it and I am clocking it, I'm putting them down into my notes.
Speaker 3: This is insane.
Speaker 2: I just I'm trying so hard because again, I want to like this movie, knowing that the nostalgia is there for so many it's hard.
Speaker 1: It is. There has to be more than that. There has to be more than I like this movie when I was eight to make something great. I'm sorry, there does, and we're seeing that all the time with the movies that we're watching, because there's plenty of films that we are watching that I am watching as an old man that are great movies that it does not matter what age you are. They're just good. And you might have nostalgia attach to this, but I would hope that you would also be able to, as a fan, look at something with nostalgia. And because again, one of the biggest problems I'm having with our entire country and world right now, not to go off on a little rant, is the fact that people are forgetting that two things can be simultaneously true. Correct, So you can have nostalgia for a movie that you loved when you were a kid and still watch it as an adult and go, this is not a good movie. I loved it as a kid, but this is crazy without take the nostalgia away, not a good movie. So it can't just be you don't understand this was awesome when I was eleven, right.
Speaker 3: Because it can be true.
Speaker 2: It could have been awesome to you as an eleven year old, but then when you look back at it, you see it for what it is you see and go, oh, I didn't realize that happened.
Speaker 3: Oh god, this is kind of funny or exactly exact. Wow.
Speaker 2: And also to know, because we progress back when this movie was filmed, these things of being with a stranger and stuff like not that they weren't they weren't heightened like they are now.
Speaker 3: You would never do that now with a kid. You would never leave your kid in a store being walked around by a stranger.
Speaker 1: Or just invite a stranger into your home and then give them money forty five minutes after meeting them. It was it's so I hope people see what I'm saying that it's I know you're gonna come for me and be like Life Size is the best movie ever. It's not. It's it mattered to you as a kid. That's different than it being a good movie.
Speaker 2: And on all of see or in all honesty, you could also understand too that you were just a really big Lindsay Lohan fan or you have to really like same thing, Like you could be a big you know, justin Timberlake fan. Yes, and then watch something that he did years ago and go, this is very good. Yeah, this was you know.
Speaker 1: And again Lindsay Lohan's great. She's great in this and was one of the best young actors of her generation. She was looking for an eleven or twelve year old girl. You're not gonna get a better casting than Lindsay Lohan. There's a reason she was signing these deals. She's great. This movie is not well. Ben does want to know more about sunny Vale, which she explains is the best place ever where she's great at a lot of different jobs, and coincidentally, Ben needs an assistant because why not, I've known you forty five minutes. I'm also gonna give you a job, which is a great opportunity for you. Now it doesn't know anything about her background. He's a lawyer. The idea that being it's it's also it sounds so stupid, but it's like disrespectful to women that are administrative assistants in law firms where it's like, oh, yeah, you could do this kind of like come on, I just met you.
Speaker 3: You could easily do It's ridiculdn't imagine. I know, I couldn't even He's a really difficult job.
Speaker 2: You have to go to school to be like somebody's administered assistant's a lawyer, Yeah, handling the kinds of things, the paperwork, you have to know all of that is not just answering calls and pushing him to the next room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's there's a lot involved, and so he needs an assistant. Great opportunity for Eve. She accepts the offer, but explains her real job is to inspire girls to strive for womanhood and positivity because girls should know anything as possible. Ben likes that his dead wife also felt the same way. She says the men back in Sunnyville are stiff and calls Ben the most interesting man she's ever met. Casey senses what's happening here and doesn't like it at all. Ben leaves for the restroom, and Casey threatens Eve to stay away that night. Casey logs into the bookstore website and founds out that volume two will arrive in a week, but she only has three days. Meanwhile, in the guest house, Eve is watching TV and loves old movie where a woman slaps a frisky suitor, but eventually lands on QBC. Back in the main house, Casey tells her dad the truth about the spell and Eve, and he doesn't believe it rightfully, So a lot of women are named Eve, and though she's odd, there's something sweet about her. A frustrated Casey promises she'll prove it and rushes into her room. She finds Eve's certificate of authenticity with the Dolls registration number and thinks maybe that can help her case. And now it's the next day. Ben brings Eve to work, of course, which correctly creeps out all of his law firm coworkers. This truly appears to be some sort of like a sex trafficking situation. Who knows, it's just weird. Ben asked the office manager to log Eve into the employee database, but that will require some info like her last name. She says she doesn't have one, which is wrong because Barbie does have a last name. Do you know what it is, Mattel, No, I took a step. I took a step. I stand by my answer. Roberts is Barbie's last name. Her name is Barbie Roberts.
Speaker 3: How do you know that?
Speaker 2: I know? Where?
Speaker 3: Where did you read that?
Speaker 1: I know a little bit about I'm a bearer of useless knowledge and Barbie's last name is Roberts. Check it out. And her previous position, she says, sitting, which was another actually funny laugh. But now Eve is ready for work. She's going to be Ben's receptionist, but is most just intrigued by a screensaver and deleting important files. And that's when horny coworker er, Yeah, Richard from Richie from earlier, spots Eve and is so excited he offers to help and restores all the files, and just as this creep ball goes into hyperdrive, Ben returns he needs Eve in his office, where she offers him a massage for his stiff neck. He loves it, but worries the workplace isn't the right place for this, you think, And that's exactly when Drew, our favorite lady, walks in and she's rightfully creeped out by what she sees, and she should be.
Speaker 2: I honestly don't know why she's so inappropriate in the workplace. I mean, what's this? How is this than anything you've done. You've really hit on him right at the end of a meeting.
Speaker 1: And I guess there is a very real chance I'm just an idiot, and I'm fully prepared to accept the fact that I'm just an idiot. I did not see this as a feminist kind of trope to me in this movie. I didn't. I saw this as kind of belittling women a little bit in certain parts of this film. That's just me. I'm sure I'm getting that wrong. And a bunch of people are going to come and tell me exactly why it was a feminist thing. The massages, that you should be prettier, all that stuff, none of that seemed feminist to me. Rightly, I think so.
Speaker 2: Of its time I don't remember it that much, but I'm assuming it was more relevant, made more sense of the time that this movie was made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe this is not nineteen eighty nine, this is two thousand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I mean this is I know it's a long time ago, but it's it's a big difference anyway. Then we get a montage of Eve at work, which includes her just typing nonsense into her computer, shredding papers, and making blank copies. Things are not working out the way that Eve imagined. The office manager is seen enough she calls a cab for Eve to leave, but the new receptionist just didn't get it. Back in sunny Vale, Eve never fails. The office manager, who they have dressed up and made to look like a bridge troll, explains that you just can't be good at everything. Everyone has their own talent, and in one of the weirdest dcom turns ever, she says if she looked half as good as Eve, she could get the guy at the office that she wants, and so Eve sees the opportunity for a makeover. She breaks out the makeup, goes to work, and around two minutes later, the office manager is stunning this.
Speaker 3: Was a big jump out to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, if your life would be better, if you were just prettier, then you could get the guy at the office that you want to get, who.
Speaker 2: Will obviously make your world. Won't be happy until you have the guy.
Speaker 1: The guy who, And the only ways you're getting the guy is not by working hard or being good at your job, or doing any of that stuff which you obviously worked your enough to do that it's by the cab does arrive, but Eve has won over the office manager, who might actually be a different actress. She looks so different. It's not obviously, but she's stunningly different. And on the other side of town, Casey has arrived at the toy store where Drew bought Eve. The store clerk explains that every doll has the corresponding registration on the bottom of her foot. It can never be removed. Casey finally sees this as a way to prove that Eve isn't human. It's also a big mistake, because wouldn't every doll have a different number? Isn't that the point? That's how you know that's your doll? Yes, okay, Well, in the posters they're showing and all the stuff they're showing it's the same number that's on the bottom of her foot, so she doesn't have a different number than all the numbers they're showing. They all have the same registration number.
Speaker 3: Oh, I took it as because she's like the original.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, that's how I get So she got.
Speaker 1: Doll one of one and open the box. What an idiot.
Speaker 3: Collector's item? Drew tried to tell her.
Speaker 1: But Drew's the one who opened it and put her on her stand and it's like, what are you doing, dude? Yes, okay. So Casey finally sees this as a way to prove that Eve isn't human, so once at home, she's quick to pull off Eve's shoe and spot the tattoo, now her exhibit A. Eve begs her not to show Ben yet she's going to a work party tonight with that creepo Richie. She loves parties and wants to have a little fun before turning back into a doll and So that night we find ourselves at the law office Shindig, Ben and Drew are there when Richie arrives with his very hot Tyra Banks. Drew hopes her self defense skills are better than her office skills, inferring that Richie is probably going to try to assault her later that that was the joke, Like, I hope she can fight him off. I mean, Jesus, I'm not getting what everybody else is getting. It's my problem. I know it's my problem. I know it's Eve immediately goes to town on the buffet while Drew and Ben slow dance to soft jazz on the dance floor, but Drew consens his mind is somewhere else. The two couples eventually meet up to say hi, and Eve wants to dance with Ben. She rushes him to the floor and they start to samba, but Eve can't keep up and Derek Huff would hate this dance.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely four.
Speaker 1: Eve doesn't get it in Sunny Vale. She's the best ballroom dancer. Ben takes over and leads because apparently he is an expert, and the two look great together. His coworkers love it, well, all the coworkers except Drew, who knows she can't compete, and even Ben is taken aback. He tells Eve that when he's with her, he forgets all about his problems. She emphasizes that life should be fun. Now back with Richie. He sees a real love square starting to take shape as the dirt ball starts bad mouthing his close friend and praising her body. She notes she's anatomically correct and now she's speaking Richie's language. He suggests they get out of here, and she slaps him like she saw in the movie. She doesn't know why, she just thought she was supposed to do that because he was being forward, and yes, Eve, you're right and you're right to slap him. Richie apologizes, and Eve explains that women will I love him for being himself, not a sleeves bag. Great message. He takes it to heart and calls it the most honest thing anyone's ever said to him. The band announces they're taking requests, so Eve rushes to the stage and asks if they know be a star the Dolls theme the keyboard is doesn't, but she just if you sing it, we can follow because bands love that. Eve accepts the challenge and starts belting out the jingle. Now, Tyra, who did fancy herself a bit of a singer in real life, is very very pitchy, but goes all out. If she was supposed to be singing badly on purpose. I don't know, but nothing pointed to that. It just wasn't particularly good. Sorry, I apologize, it's not good singing. The band joins in as she gives off a real pickne girl energy. She encourages everyone to dance, singling out a very important judge and grinding up against him. But the entire party has fallen in love with her, joining in and dancing along. Eve is infectious, just like her bees. Also, Richie spots someone. It's now the beautiful office manager Ellen. He's so impressed with her now because she's pretty. Richie the grossest human being ever depicted in the dcom he's gotta be likes her, and it turns out he was the guy she wanted to notice her so. Later that night, Ben returns home with Eve from a night they'll never forget. Casey is asleep on the couch, and on their way to the guest house, they start pointing out constellations. They gaze at the romantic moon, and Eve explains that there's only one thing missing from this perfect evening. The tension bills as they get closer to one another, and just as they're about to kiss, they're interrupted by a crying Casey She screams, Dad, how could you? And Eve doesn't understand why Casey's eyes are wet. The young girl runs into her room. Ben explains nothing happened and he's not falling in love with her. Casey can't believe he let Eve stay in the guest house fair because it used to be her mom's special place. She tells her dad she hates him. The next day, at football practice, Casey calls her receiver weien her head again. She's benched by the coach, even though tomorrow is the big championship game, And just as things look their bleakest, Eve arrives in the loudest green raincoat and handkerchief wrapped around her head. She looks like the green eminem, trying to disguise herself as human. She comes to watch Casey play and learn more about what water in her eyes. Casey explains what crying is, but Eve still doesn't get it. Why was she so sad? Being human seems so easy and fun to her?
Speaker 5: That's true, It's like, it's true, it was so good. Oh my god, it's true.
Speaker 1: You never know it, would you? Casey says, real life isn't actually perfect. Bad things happen people you love can just disappear forever, like her mom. She was fine, then she went in for a check up and they found something. Then she was gone, and nothing's ever been the same. Now, these scenes were great, still laughing, We're talking about horrible things and she's still picturing the green eminem.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I tried to turn it all together. Okay, everybody so funny.
Speaker 1: It's no ranchom. It's also okay. So these scenes though, very nice when when it's just Lindsay Lohan and Tyra Banks acting great fine.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling the same way.
Speaker 2: This was like an up and down roller coaster, Like we just came off of Tyra's routine and then went into like this where I'm kind of like, okay, all right, I.
Speaker 1: Just breezed past it because I didn't want you to get hate too. But what did you think of Tyra's singing and her dance?
Speaker 3: I might have to delete this?
Speaker 6: Is it bad on purpose?
Speaker 1: Guys?
Speaker 3: Hello Jensen?
Speaker 1: Hi, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. This is the notes that I have is.
Speaker 2: Again, I don't remember Tyra going for any kind of like record situation or like wanting to be in music.
Speaker 6: So oh she definitely wanted to Sabrina.
Speaker 2: She don't remember that. I don't remember that because the thing about it, when I say it, when I watched it and saw it, and then my notes say, the voice and the song, it didn't even seem like they put much effort into producing this song.
Speaker 3: The song wasn't that.
Speaker 2: Great, I guess also because it's compared to Bewitched and the other girl groups and stuff, but so the production didn't seem the same, so that was confusing. But also like the way she performs like she knows how to perform, but the voice didn't match for me, like the performance, so I couldn't even really tell it is that her voice.
Speaker 6: I didn't know she released a song with Kobe Bryant.
Speaker 1: Oh Oh that I'd like to hear.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna need Lisa, Lisa, are you there?
Speaker 3: We've gotta find this leak howse No, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a for me for sure, because it again the song didn't seem to match what she was doing naturally with her body, because she can move, she can move, and she can perform, so it was confusing to me.
Speaker 3: But anyway, we move on to the We move on to the green Eminem scene. And this is what I was going.
Speaker 2: Okay, like like you said, anytime it's just Tyra and and Lindsey or you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like the thick of the plot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going, all right, we're going somewhere.
Speaker 3: We're thinking this. I keep I keep having the hopes that this.
Speaker 2: Is gonna kind of turn around. So that's where I'm at at this scene.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're hoping to turn it around.
Speaker 3: This My hopes are high.
Speaker 2: I'm okay, I'm climbing up the rollercoaster yet again, gonna I love it.
Speaker 1: I have already been vomiting halfway through the ride. Yes, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to bash this movie. I'm really not. I just I it's this was just so strange. Anyway. Eve admits maybe she doesn't know much about being human, but what happened to Casey's mom isn't fair and no one can ever replace her. Eve has an idea and tells Casey to meet her back at the house. Meanwhile, at the law office, Ben is ready for his big deposition tomorrow. It's his final step to becoming a partner, but Drew has other things on her mind, like Eve's work application that lists her past experience as NASA, the police, and being a doctor. Drew is concerned and being a real player hater, Ben insists she's harmless. Drew admits she may be jealous, but doesn't want him and Casey to get hurt on her way out. Ben says, it's nice to know you're jealous.
Speaker 3: Okay, now we're really confusing.
Speaker 2: It's just confusing because to me, up till this point, I'm not thinking Ben is interested in her.
Speaker 1: No, he's made it very plain that he is not interested in her, and she's still bargaining the house.
Speaker 3: And in the sense of it's not that he's just not ready, he's not interested in her.
Speaker 1: Thank you. That's just not that that he's.
Speaker 6: Not it's like he accidentally read Richie's line in the script, yes.
Speaker 1: Right right, Like they just didn't they Yeah, they just didn't.
Speaker 2: And after the whole situation with the moon and the kiss, like he was clearly interested.
Speaker 3: In this in Eve.
Speaker 2: So what is now all of a sudden flipped that it's like, oh, yeah, that's right. I'm not gonna just crush my daughter's dreams with like kissing one of these ladies. I'm gonna go ahead and start flirting with this other one who is awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, we're now back home. In the kitchen, Eve is ready to cook. She had a magic recipe book in Sunny Vale, but now she'll have to improvise, and that quickly becomes a disaster. Eve is breaking down and the kitchen's on fire when Casey returns home. Once the flames have been extinguished, Eve calls herself stupid and realizes she can't do anything well in real life. Casey breaks attention by joking around, and the two are finally starting to click his pals. That night, they have a little slumber party and Eve admits she's hardly helped any girls yet. She thinks she's been a disappointment. Casey tries to cheer her up, but Eve says it's not easy trying to be perfect. Casey says her mom used to say it's not about being perfect, it's about trying your best good motto. Eve is starting to get it a little bit, but knows that Casey isn't happy. She encourages Casey to talk to her friends. Her mom would want her to open up. They hug just as Ben peeks in the door, seeing this real moment of connection. He interrupts him because it's way past Casey's bedtime. Once she's asleep, Ben thanks Eve for being so kind. He hasn't seen his daughter smile like that in forever, but Eve wants to tell him something. She went to Casey's football practice and it's obvious his absence is affecting her. The next morning, on his way to work, Ben stops by Casey's room. He's hyped about the big game, but she shows no emotions. He promises he'll be there, but she's not buying it. When he leaves, she gets an email. We know that because it says you've got new mail and huge letters on her computer screen. Volume Tube new Mail. Yeah, it's new. This is not old mail.
Speaker 3: Not AOL.
Speaker 1: No, you can't do that.
Speaker 3: You've got new mail.
Speaker 1: Still AOL. Still I know? Ride or Die, Baby Down, No, Ride or Die. Volume two of that. I don't know what I do If I woke up and AOL was gone, Oh my god, It's like, oh, I don't know what I do. Volume two of the Spellbook has finally arrived at the bookstore. In the guest house, Eve is watching the financial news, where Marathon Toys has announced disappointing sales figures for their Eve doll. A decision of whether or not to cancel the doll will be made in the next two weeks. Eve can't believe this. They can't just get rid of Sunnyvale. Just then, Casey enters with their own news. This spellbook has arrived, but if they don't return her home by midnight, everything will become permanent, which, based on their new connection, is something Casey wants, and she assumes Eve does too. But with the possible Sonny Veil shut down, this changes everything. Before Eve can explain, Casey runs off for the game, and so now the game is about to start, we see the low Hand siblings are in the stands Hi Low Hand Siblings. Sadly, Casey does not see her dad in the crowd. He's stuck in the office, hung up waiting for the deposition to start, but he knows he can't miss the game. He tells the team they can handle this on their own and leaves. On his way out, he runs into his boss, who doesn't understand why he's leaving, but Ben explains he's not missing his daughter's super Bowl, even if it loses him the partnership and he's starting to realize what's important. We cut back to the end of the first quarter at just as Ben is arriving midplay. Casey notices him and gets sacked, but she's still so happy to see him. At the same time, Eve has arrived at the toy store, just as they're removing Eve dolls from their front display. She knows time is of the essence, so she runs to the Magical Bookstore. Back at the game, there are twelve seconds left and Casey's team is down by four, and that's when Eve arrives. She's come to say goodbye. She tries to tell Ben, but he's too focused on the final play, but Casey notices Eve and waves. Casey calls out to play, steps back to find Wiener. He's open. She lets it fly and she's tackled, but Weiener catches it. Go Weena, Go Weena Go, but at the one yard line he's tackled. No touchdown, the windsor Wildcats lose.
Speaker 3: No, no happiness in this movie.
Speaker 1: Nope. Eve can't believe it. That's it poor and this poor Wiener kid just can't. He finally catches one, but he's not fast enough and.
Speaker 3: It's he's like to find a new dream. Football is not for him.
Speaker 1: Oh man, or maybe we just need to do the Wiener movie. Ben walks down to the field to comfort his daughter. He calls it the best pass he's ever seen and gives her a big hug. Win or lose. She was great out there. He apologizes for not being around, but the truth is since the mom has died, things have been very rough for him too. And I thought, this is my arguably my favorite scene of the whole movie is the two of them after her game on the field together was great, but he says it's his fault and his mom would be so proud of Casey. It's a very nice and very surreal moment. Eve sees everything unfold from Afar and brings tears to her eyes. She feels the water and realizes that she's finally felt pain. She notices a sad kid in the stands too, and then a couple straight up tongue kissing each other, maybe in sadness. I don't know. She's supposed to see all the emotion. I don't know, but human emotion is complicated. Maybe that's what they're getting at. Wiener and Casey have a nice moment too, but Eve ran off. Weiener's mom passes along a message. Eve says, goodbye. She found the book and someone to read it to her, so she's headed back home again. It makes you wonder if the first book was one hundred and fifty dollars. Where she's getting the money for this book or did she steal it too? Never get into that shocked Why is she going back? And now Ben is confused? What's going on? This stranger we took into our house. There's more tour than I thought. Eve takes a cab to the main offices of the toy company, where she tells a security check in she's home. The worst security guard in history thinks she's there for a photo shoot, so sends her to a room where the entire Sunnyvale place that has been constructed. She notices how tiny it is, but knows what she has to do. She starts to spell just as Casey and Ben pull up. They rush into the building and Web the security guard lets him go too. What the hell? Come on everybody back to where this literally has no job? If he's just letting everyone go, Tyra banks the whole time was a toy And when they find the room. All they see is Eve's backpack. They're too late, but just as they've given up hope human Eve pops up and reveals the spell was completed. There isn't much time left. Ben spots the serial number on her foot and knows she actually is leaving. He takes this amazingly well to find out that a doll came to life that he's been fight. He's like, Wow, I can't believe it.
Speaker 3: It's like that's unexpected, dude, just like that.
Speaker 1: Also, how do they not have the conversation of don't you understand Dad, this works, we can bring mom back to life. I don't understand how that never comes up, But anyway, okay. Eve says that sunny Vale needs her, but Casey can't accept it. She's crying, but Eve explains she's learned so much as a human and sunny Val is where she belongs. To save Eve forever. Ben thanks her and they all hug, and just like that, Eve shrinks down to a doll size and becomes plastic. Ben picks her up and they decide to put her somewhere special in the house. We cut to the toy store, where the Eve doll is not only still around. It's thriving. New dolls have just derived and families are lined up around the block. Casey is hanging out with her friends again, yes, the same ones who coldly said she just needs to get over her dead mom. They've all reconnected and are doing some CD shopping, and we learn that Ben became a partner after all and is still hanging out with Drew Yikes in the toy store. Kids are freaking out over Eve. She's more popular than ever, and we abruptly cut to Tyra, who's now singing be a Star again backstage near the large Eve placet She's singing off key again and dancing around with the lead characters from the movie, from Ben to the office manager.
Speaker 7: It's a just strange ending with some awful dancing and singing. And that is the end of our absolutely bat crazy movie.
Speaker 1: And again, come for me. All you want about the nostalgia, I get it was important to you as a kid. This movie was weird. Let's do real reviews. Sabrina, you got the five star? What do you got?
Speaker 3: All right? Five star? From Missy p ninety four d.
Speaker 2: Me and hated used to act like we were life sized dolls. We wrote numbers on the bottom of our feet and picked out the Barbies we wanted to look like. Haha, good times. That's actually very relatable, Missy.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie. I think that's great. A lot of a lot of young girls did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely absolutely. I have the one star. It's from co Ryan, which I assume means there are several Ryans and he's a co Ryan. This movie is terrible, so I suggest instead you go to YouTube and watch the video where Tyra Banks is afraid of dolphins. All right, one star, thank you, And now, of course we're gonna come to our special feature. And it sounds like Sabrina is gonna lose because producer Jensen is back with us this week.
Speaker 3: My brain has come killing it.
Speaker 1: She's been killing it. Feature this week is called Barbie or Manson to honor the obvious influence the iconic Barbie doll hat. In this movie, we're going to get a girl's name and have to decide if it's one of Barbie's many cool friends or one of Charles Manson's infamous cult members. We basically have a fifty to fifty chance here, but if we get it wrong, we're gonna look very dumb three out of five wins. Oh, I know some of Charles Manson's the names of some of his followers, so I don't know. I don't know them personally. Thank you talking a long time ago.
Speaker 6: I mean he didn't date him or anything exactly.
Speaker 3: Tell me.
Speaker 1: Number one Sabrina Linda. Is that a member of Manson's cult or is that a Barbie girl day name? Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, I thought, okay, h Linda. I'm gonna go with.
Speaker 1: Cult, isn't it Linda Kasabian? Is not that her name? She is?
Speaker 6: We are both one?
Speaker 1: One up? Okay one one. Number two Chelsea Barbie. I'm gonna say Barbie as well. Oh two for two.
Speaker 6: Yes, I should not have distanced myself. I gotta, I gotta get back into this ellen.
Speaker 1: Number three Patricia, mm gosh.
Speaker 3: That seems like it could be either really honest, it could be either.
Speaker 1: The one though, what do you got Barbie or Manson.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go Manson.
Speaker 1: It is Manson. I believe her name is Patricia Crenwinkle.
Speaker 6: That is it? Three in a row.
Speaker 3: I can't you know these last names.
Speaker 1: It's like one of the most famous Hollywood socials.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I just I've watched so many like murder documentaries. I know all these.
Speaker 6: Things, but the last two for fun.
Speaker 1: I have nostalgia for murder documentaries. Number four Leslie.
Speaker 3: I think Leslie's Manson too. I don't think there's.
Speaker 1: It's Leslie van Houghton, isn't it? Yes? Number five is Teresa.
Speaker 3: I think Teresa actually could be a Barbie. I think it's Barbie's probably alas Barbie.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: Five for five A rare double five for five including.
Speaker 3: Name season in full form. Oh my gosh, I got it.
Speaker 6: Now I have to figure one out that involves murder.
Speaker 3: Talk about Manson.
Speaker 1: He's going to be just we're happy to have you back and to welcome you back that way, Sir Jensen, thank you man. Can we now do a Sabrina ses please?
Speaker 3: Oh god, okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: One of the first things, I mean, I'm five ones down. One of the first things was I wasn't ready for football in this movie at all.
Speaker 1: No, like I wasn't either, and I liked it. Frankly. She was.
Speaker 2: She actually when she threw at the very end, I will say she looked like she could throw a football.
Speaker 1: That was clearly not her. Go back and watch again it is another face in the helmet. It is it's a girl, but it's not Lindsay Lohan. I pause to make sure.
Speaker 3: All right, well that was not good. Be a little closer. My contacts need to be reevaluated. Clearly.
Speaker 2: The next thing I have is Richie's gross, like in all caps, He's just gross.
Speaker 3: We've already gone over that. That's fine. Let's talk about her room.
Speaker 2: Okay, this, you know, I think I've said this just a few times over the last like going on two years.
Speaker 3: Now. If you could believe it, this room was bat.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean this, The the.
Speaker 3: The decor of the room made no sense.
Speaker 2: You know, we we will kind of joke about how okay, now we get to see the things that she's into, and the this and the that with their rooms, like the showing of the rooms telling fashion or super Sportsy Girl or super you know, skater guy for.
Speaker 3: For our favorite movie. Ever, this room made no sense.
Speaker 2: You didn't get an idea at all except for that maybe she was like a teenager. It had at one point like a kite, a kite hanging on the wall, and then a random glow star behind her.
Speaker 3: Bed, a white buffet that.
Speaker 2: You would have in your living room with doors and like trinkets inside of it, and the bedroom was in front of the buffet that was on the wall. It was the most It was so distracting to me.
Speaker 3: I couldn't stand it.
Speaker 2: I hated all of the the scenes in her bedroom because of it.
Speaker 3: That person that was part of like set design fired. That was bad.
Speaker 1: That was really bad.
Speaker 2: Because if that was her personality or that made sense, Okay, fine, I'll go with it.
Speaker 3: But it didn't give you any clue into what besides the three or four pictures they.
Speaker 2: Had of her the family right that bedroom was like made no sense.
Speaker 3: It was drove me crazy.
Speaker 2: I knew because of our before we watched this, and our kind of our trailer of our last episode, and you had mentioned that the girl group that you.
Speaker 1: Knew, Nobody's Angel, Nobody's Angel, was.
Speaker 3: Gonna be in this.
Speaker 2: I had to say, uh oh that mall Montage music was that Nobody's Angel. But then Nobody's Angel song came on and I was like, oh, yeah, no, never okay, but it was such a bad song.
Speaker 3: It was like a awful song.
Speaker 2: It was ever producing Ah, this song later on in the show produced that one.
Speaker 3: It was bad. And then.
Speaker 2: This is starting to get a little bit kind of silly because we picked apart this movie so much. I didn't understand how she can't dress herself. But then she had like different wigs on and different hairstyles throughout the movie. That just kind of if that was gonna be a situation where she was gonna need help, they could have just cut that whole scene. Probably Honestly, we didn't talk about how awkward it wasn't weird that Drew and Ben were dancing at this like company party.
Speaker 3: They were like dancing, but they were like slow dancing. That was just so weird. And then my last.
Speaker 2: One was I thought you would have got this one. Oh no, there's just two. The second to last one when she's like she's looking up at the stars. It's that scene she's looking at the stars and she's like talking about them, and then she goes.
Speaker 3: Oh Ben, look the moon or the moon like a second, oh Ben, look the moon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's brilliant.
Speaker 3: Iroound it like seven times. It was so funny, like the moon is over there, it's wonderful.
Speaker 2: And the last one is I thought you'd come say this too, Come on, Bruce, kill him for me.
Speaker 3: That was what the parent he sat down next to, and the football came right, come on, Bruce, kill them for me. Oh my god, they're like eleven years old. Mom, stop saying that. That's not okay. I'm not gonna kill any one out here.
Speaker 1: No, it's good, it's all good.
Speaker 3: There were some good laughs in this movie.
Speaker 1: There were There were sometimes I was laughing with it. Most of the times I was laughing at it. But yes, there were some. And now it's time to radar film one out of ten, ten best, one worst. Not even going to do a joke about it this week. I got nothing left, I got nothing. So our options this week are one out of ten documentaries about me, huh, that's the perfect man. One out of ten Wieners. I hope you don't pick that one. One out of ten magic pentagrams, dead mom hair brushes, two thousands malls, Wianers again again, one out of ten Bridge troll office Managers, new emails, one out of ten low hand Siblings, sad tongue kisses or I'm going to also put in one out of ten disguised green Eminem's Sabrina.
Speaker 6: I also have one more to add in. Yes, okay Wieners.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good one.
Speaker 3: So we're going what is it gremms?
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's gonna be disguised green eminem disis. All right, Well you did hocus focus. I think you You went first last time, didn't you. I think yes, Yeah, so it's my turn. Oh it's my turn to go first. It was yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, Uh, this was a solid film. I'm giving this a nine. I'm not. I am not And again you can all come for me. I get that I cannot watch this with any nostalgia attached. I once again say with nostalgia, without nostalgia, good movies are good movies. It shouldn't matter that you liked him as a kid. You should still be able to look at you know, one of my favorite movies as a kid was Rad. I will always say Rad is the best movie ever. I can still look at Rad and go it's actually kind of a crap movie, but I loved it. That's a different thing. Yes, So, with no nostalgia attached to this was a we keep saying, but it's true. This was a crazy movie. The dad was strange. She had no reaction to the fact that his daughter actually resurrected somebody. The resurrection was just nobody's mentioning that she literally brought a thing back to life, and then she could have brought her momd back. It was one thing after another that the characters were weird. Drew was weird. If not for Lindsay Lohan, this might have been one of the lowest rated movies that I had, just because this was all over the place. I'm going to generously, in my opinion, because of Lindsay Lohan's performance alone, give this a four point five disguised green Eminem's She's great. Tyra Banks was good. Just the story and the script and some of the characters made no sense. So I'm four point five, I think is a good score for this movie. Four point five disguised green Eminem's Yes, Sabrina, what do you got?
Speaker 2: I agree with you with so much of it, and the hard part for me, and I know this isn't even a point of view.
Speaker 3: What you came from is this movie.
Speaker 2: I think if we went the comedy route and they did things along the lines of actually making it a feminist movie, and you know, again, I know we're not supposed to do, but watching the Barbie movie and seeing how.
Speaker 3: It can be done right.
Speaker 2: Yes, in that sense, to me, her as a doll really didn't consistently work throughout the rest of the movie. It went in and out, It wasn't consistent, It didn't flow in that sense, and so just it's hard not to compare, especially to a movie that was so great done recently.
Speaker 3: And I know that's true. And again, I know, I know I'm gonna get.
Speaker 2: Heat for this as well, but I again I just couldn't.
Speaker 3: I couldn't go with it.
Speaker 2: And I really really tried, I really did, but this was not my favorite one. I wouldn't say I would even want to try it one more time because there was a lot of off put things. The things that I don't like are things that maybe weren't that relevant then but are now that.
Speaker 1: The creepy relationship is. Maybe that's what it.
Speaker 3: Just didn't age well for me. And so that's the thing.
Speaker 2: And even when you try to go back, you're kind of like with that, with the mix of the holes in the script and the things just being very strange.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give it a five point five, okay.
Speaker 2: And you know, five point five disguise cream.
Speaker 1: Perfect, that's oh.
Speaker 3: Man, yeah, I can. I have to, and I don't like giving bad ones. I don't even on the roll for a couple of good ones and good ones just recently that really first us up.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm hoping I'm hoping that most of the comments are going to be people going like, oh, I suggested this because it's crazy. I suggested this because I knew you guys were not like. I suggested it because it's the best movie I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: I also don't think it's necessarily fair. I do feel like in our comments people are saying that's insane, but they're not actually rewatching it themselves. So make sure you rewatch it so you can tell if you actually agree or disagree.
Speaker 1: And remember as you're watching them that nostalgia is a wonderful thing. But you can two things can be true. You can love the movie that when you saw it as a kid and understand that it's not that good. That's that's okay. So yeah, but anyway, thank you for joining us. Our next movie is frankly the perfect start for December. We're finally cracking at Christmas movies this year, and we're kicking it off with the two thousand and one d com Twas the Night, starring Walter White himself, Brian Cranston, and I'm seriously hoping this movie is all about meth, just like Breaking Bad. But I'm guessing. I'm guessing the entire entire titles not Twas the Night made Me.
Speaker 3: If it's not a Christmas film, I'm gonna be just so upset.
Speaker 1: It is it is, it is, Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to get into Christmas spirit getting there. We did Hollow to the fullest.
Speaker 1: Here we go, and now it's ready.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to be thankful, yep, and into Christmas.
Speaker 1: That's fine. We're going to deck the halls with Christmas movies. And while we wait for that, we have a very fun interview this week, premiering on our dedicated magical rewind Feed. It's Felicia Barton, who was one of the incredible singers you hear weekly on the biggest show in twenty twenty five America, Dancing with the Stars, which we will have a lot of questions about, and she's also written songs for Demi Lovado and Leah Michelle. But for magical rewind fans, she is the mother of Disney's new It Boy, a young man who has been on the channel since. Who was basically in Diaper's Malachi Barton from Villains of Valley Views, Stuck in the Middle, Zombies four and soon the new camp Rock And now we get a totally new and unique perspective what it's like when you're the mom of a Disney Channel star. And it isn't easy. So let's take a quick listen on what you can expect from the amazing Felicia.
Speaker 8: He really did fall into this, It's crazy. When he was four years old. We were I'd signed to steal Out in LA, and I was coming back and for work between Nashville and LA and writing music for artists and doing the whole thing.
Speaker 3: I went into the studio.
Speaker 8: Session and the guy that owned the studio walked into my session and he was like, Hey, is that your kid outside on top of a car dancing to Justin Bieber.
Speaker 1: Probably that was a very surprisingly cool interview and one you don't want to miss. So catch up with all the popular decomcast and crew members we've interviewed on Magical Rewind. But just go into the Magical Rewind podcast feed on any and all streaming services. You can get them all. My friend, you can also follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram. Whatever it is machine for information and clips. They do little clips there. It's like moving pictures. It's really incredible features. It's wow. It's like said, it's an amazing thing. I couldn't believe it. It's like a computer in the palm of my hand. Wow. Thanks everybody, Bye bye.