Speaker 1: Looking out in the River Cafe. I'm always happy to see couples having a great time, but I also know that every table has a story. A child who just received a degree, a colleague at work who might be changing jobs, a marriage proposal or a separation. I met the couple Carrie Russell and Matthew Reese when they were playing a couple Philip and Elizabeth Jennings in my favorite TV series, The Americans, and I watched their story through thick and Thin for six years. It was there for a big moment for me seeing them sitting at a table in the River Cafe. They were with my friend, Ambassador Jane Hartley, who loves Carrie, playing a sort of her in the Diplomat. Today we were here at a home in New York City to talk about all this and more. You are our first couple, yeah, they I know it's true. It'll be fun that way. Yeah, Rogers, I have said to you before we put the MIC's on, how amazing it is that you came up down downtown. Do you like uptown downtown? Did you ever think of living uptown?
Speaker 2: I didn't personally know, did you No?
Speaker 3: But we took the train up here together and it's just you feel like uptown just feels like you're in a movie in a New York.
Speaker 2: New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think when people say where should I stay in New York? I was as an American, I love staying downtown. But then I think, if you're coming to New York for the first time, Central Park, the high buildings, the density, the avenues, Park Avenue, so New York for that first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree. That hit again when we came out of the subway, when your borough is is so alien to this, when you kind of go, what in New York? I know it sounds stupid. I go, Manhattan brings my that magic again? Or you think of the movies you're saw growing up. You see the park again in a way you haven't seen it, and you just go, I'm always I'm always kind of falling in love again with this city.
Speaker 3: It's so romantic. Yeah, you know, seeing everyone dressed in nice clothes here, yeah, all over no where we live, it's like, you know, we're all sweatpants taking our kids to school.
Speaker 1: So what we thought, Mike do is start with a recipe. And the recipe I understood that you would like to read is a lot to do with sage like sage. But yes, in.
Speaker 2: Fact, if you could spread butter on say a leaf of sage kind of be.
Speaker 1: Already there is that a piece of stage that you've plucked from a plant or that you've bought, you grow it a little bit.
Speaker 2: We don't. We tried. We work with our children. It's like it's like trying to grow something in within a family of chimps. Everything is plucked or ripped or or torn or destroyed before you go. You're constantly going who did this? Who pulled the stage?
Speaker 1: When I take that stage.
Speaker 2: We were growing this. Yeah, so it never never seems to last. So we do, we do shamefully. But we have a great farmer's market by us which we we get a lot of the hoops from. And yees, sage and butter is a is a is a heady mix. It's a it's a great source of comfort.
Speaker 1: I love butter. We can talk about better later because I always say that as Italian chefs, we're supposed to and we do love olive oil and that is you know, that is the ingredient, you know. And so when people say what do you want to have in your in your cupboard. I would never say I have kil of Italian butter. I'd usually say a bottle of extra Version olive oil. But butter is like it is. But I think we should just do a podcast called butter.
Speaker 2: Tally Tally with portin a my butchering tally tally. I got it right, that's it. With Porcini and sage, will begin with.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, is that me?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Three hundred and fifty grand dried taglia.
Speaker 2: Thirty five grands have dried porcini mus.
Speaker 3: Rooms, eight fresh sage leaves finely sliced.
Speaker 2: Or could be sixteen, who knows. Two thousand grams of unsulted butter. Oh sorry, one hundred grams of unsalted butter.
Speaker 3: Two garlic cloves peeled and crushed.
Speaker 2: Another family favorite. One dried red chili crumbled like us for.
Speaker 3: Like me, especially today. Yes, I had a little too much wine last night. It's rough, a little fragile.
Speaker 1: I'm getting it through a Yeah, maybe you should have another classify.
Speaker 2: Maybe probably probably only way way.
Speaker 3: Four tablespoons double cream.
Speaker 2: And the zest and juice of one lemon. Do we continue on to go away?
Speaker 1: I've been nice to know how to make it.
Speaker 2: No, then you just get all that stuff. Yes, how you make it's your problem. Good luck.
Speaker 1: Expect me to write a book and tell you how to do something.
Speaker 2: It's really rude like me to tell you to live your lives. Yes, happy hunting.
Speaker 3: Soak the mushrooms in hot water for twenty minutes. Oh see, that's why you're magic.
Speaker 2: Yes, you see. Then drain the porcini, keeping the liquid and roughly chop strain the liquid through a sieve lined with kitchen paper to remove the grit.
Speaker 3: Melt the butter in a thick bottomed pan. Add the garlic, sage, and chili and fry gently until the garlic is soft. Add the porcini and stir to combine. Oh my god, this is so good.
Speaker 2: This is working already.
Speaker 3: This is what I need.
Speaker 1: Is all I need?
Speaker 2: Yes, cook for fifteen minutes. When the porcini is soft, stir in the cream, lemon, zest and juice, and season.
Speaker 3: Cook the tagliae in boiling salted water until aldente.
Speaker 2: Then drain, add to the sauce, toss well, pour wine, drink and enjoy.
Speaker 1: Good And so tell me about cooking. And do you make tagutailey? Do you make a little pasta with the kids.
Speaker 2: Well, pasta is the absolute staple of our house, the absolute staple, as I'm sure it is for many people with young children. However, I've been out for some beautiful dinners with Carien and she's come home and then made a bowl of pasta with butter and stage and I, with great genuine wonderment, go way, way way, and how sometimes you do come home hungry?
Speaker 3: Thanks. Yeah, I love the food when I eat it. And then if we've stayed up, if miraculously I've made it awake beyond nine pm, which is difficult for me by ten thirty.
Speaker 1: Any More, food, did you discover early on the food that you ate affected the way you acted? So that would you find that if you're doing a scene that you would want to be not full of food or you wanted to eat you know? And also if you ask, this is a load of many questions directors. They never want to stop food.
Speaker 2: I just want to stop and thinking that there was one French director when I worked in France. There's one French director I worked with who is just a true gastro. What's the word I'm looking for? Yeah, he was like he was like no, he sit down for one hour, one hour half, we have a nice launch, and he goes, it's not like America where you get one plate and you put sushi on it and a burger and salad, French fries and you put all mess on one plate. This terrible one thing. Yes, And then so we went into this beautiful tent. There's there's long trestle tables with white linen, classes wine on that. I was like this first day, I was like, oh my god, where am I? And we all sat down and I'm next to the director and I said, I said, I said, do we choose? Is there a menu? Because no, they will come and put it in front of you, and it's sort of like this sort of yeah, this sort of you know, duck liver put down in front of us. And I went, but what if you're a vegetarian? And he took a second and just went, sorry, that was was.
Speaker 1: That the one? I mean? But normally what happens, Well.
Speaker 3: I think we can both confirm that I mostly donuts.
Speaker 2: Donut fiend she can inhale them not so much anymore.
Speaker 3: But when we were doing The Americans, we were shooting that here in New York and often in winter outside night and I would inhale donut.
Speaker 2: I became your kind of true comfort and seemingly engine fuels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure that was really good for my health.
Speaker 1: Can we as we mentioned it? You know my obsession Americans? No, really, I have to say, you know, I've loved them all. I you know what people said to Richard, when do you have time to watch so much? But you know it wasn't but we watched a lot. But for me, it is the pinnacle. It just was. It was about family, It was about marriage, it was about secrecy, it was about loyalty. But I think that there were so many aspects of the American and so that was just stunning, beautful. And there were meal times it was a domestic setting. There was the times when the kids would go next door and eat something or be at a table. Was your feeling about that?
Speaker 2: There was definitely thought, a lot of thought, possibly more by the writers about when when it seemed when it was meant to be presented as an excess, that that Philip Elizabeth might go or Elizabeth possibly I won't speak on your behalf might go my you know, might be post or repelled by it, by the indulgence of it, or the excess of it. There was actually an episode I directed when Martha is being relocated to you know, one of the characters being relocated to Moscow for helping the kdub And it was a very brief moment, but I just I just put in this moment where she's eating peanut butter on toast and wondering kind of yes, what her life will be, And it was kind of one of those things I just kind of planted in as to the just as the choice that we have in comparison to what may have happened. I mean, the meal times were always always kind of pandemonium because it was always when the set fell apart, do you know what I mean? Because you're in that one concentrated day for so long, everyon goes a little crazy. Everyone is trying to figure out how to eat without eating.
Speaker 3: Because you shoot obviously that scene that is you know, five minutes, you have to shoot it over four six hours because you have to shoot everyone's coverage of it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, And what about now when you're in the Diplomat.
Speaker 3: Well, one of the fun things about The Diplomat is the writer who I just I love so much, Debora Khan, who created the show, and she puts it in very specifically. She wants the character to eat like really messy, like just constantly be like shoving like food in her face and like eat really messy, like a you know, have no manners and like a dude, which I think is really fun, but it gross. It's gross too because you have to continually eat.
Speaker 2: I know, I do. I appreciate that. On The Diplomat you do eat. We always I think a lot of actors always talk about people those actors who do eat on screen and those who can see kind of nibbling on cucumber. And I'm always I'm always, I'm always on this. I'm always on this. So I remember Noah Emeric and I had this one scene in The Americans when we ate pizza, and I directed at the time, said, listen, I really want to see you eat. And we really to map it out, like the length of the scene, how long you'll shoot coverage wise when and we ate it goes, I want to see you swallow the pizza. I don't want chewing. And then we cut away and then spit bucket and we were like, okay, we'll go for it. And I had I was sweating. I had so much dough in my stomach. At the end, I was like, I don't I don't feel well. I don't feel well.
Speaker 1: Did you know The River Cafe has a shop. It's full of our favorite foods and designs. We have cookbooks, linen, napkins, kitchen ware, tote bags with our signatures, glasses from Venice, chocolates from Turin. You can find us right next door to the River Cafe in London or online at Shopthrivercafe dot co dot uk. So growing up and we can figure this out if one of you wants to go first, so you can talk to each other about because I assume you didn't grow up together, but you grab maybe you did. You met in the hospital, little beds. Okay, that was it, So you sort of started out with milk. But what was it like in mobile to carry? What was it like in your household?
Speaker 3: My mom wasn't the best cook or anything like that, but what she was great at was you know, my dad traveled a lot, so it was he was just like a suit for like a car company, so he would get in the car and drive multiple places. And it was my mom and three kids, four nights a week, and even though she wasn't such a great cook, what she was was just you know, like, do you want pancakes tonight? Eating pancakes tonight. There were no rules and there weren't that the magic of that was really nice to grow up with. That being said, I really noticed when there was good cooking that you know, a friend's house or something, and no disrespect to my mom at all. But I loved mothers who really spent time, and I remember watching them cook and the way, we know, loving that whole feeling. And then as I grew up, I guess I, oh, both my grandmothers were great cooks.
Speaker 1: Grandmothers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny because they're very different. They were raised in completely different places, but they both made an incredible homemade chicken doodle soup, so that I definitely remember. My dad's mom was a bit more of the kind of elaborate meals than there were rules, and people dressed nice, and I remember, you know, just kind of more fabulous people coming over to dinner parties and things like that, which.
Speaker 1: Was all there as fair.
Speaker 3: And they both the grandmothers ended up living in California, so we would you know, drive town say I'm sort of kind of near each other as they retired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you always said you can always remember you remember the clink of ice, because cocktails were always big.
Speaker 3: You know, like the tumblers like and ladies wearing like nice slacks with painted nails. My mom was a little bit more of a hippie and so that was also kind of exotic to me.
Speaker 1: Would you sit down to you add to your brothers sisters.
Speaker 3: I'm the middle, so I have an older brother and a younger sister.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so with meal times, even though you might have pancakes or something, yeah, kind of that's our was it always expected that you would sit down.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We always ate together and it was a really easy, not stressful, you know, really kind of loving and fun and imaginative time. She was a really good mom in that way. And yeah, we all ate together, and our family we really make a point. Yeah, maybe even though our teenager doesn't always love it. We eat really early, like six thirty six, and I like that. Everyone comes home, you have to eat and you can do anything after, but we all sit together. And yes, I mean.
Speaker 1: When you said that you envied the kids that you liked going to my son, I have to tell you once called me up. He went to the American school and he called me up. He said, Mom, can you come over to Tedwood Square, which is a square right around the corner from where we live, to my friend's house. And I said why and he said, well, I just like to show you what a good mother's fridge looks like.
Speaker 2: First of all, I don't know how to unpie clous statement because saying that to you.
Speaker 1: Exactly because if you opened our fridge, you see, you'd see a piece of parme, see some beans that have been cooked, and then you know those American.
Speaker 2: Yes double double.
Speaker 1: These people had that, and there was just you know, I didn't go, So I don't know because would I go, No, good mother. I like the idea of your grandmother. And the cocktails. I think cocktails are really that is a cultural phenom, don't you think, Matthew? Eventually did you have cocktails and whales?
Speaker 2: Not so much cocktails. The staples I think for my parents were sherry. There was always a kickoff. Was always a sherry and then and then wine with the meal. Yes, or it was either a shabby kickoff or a gin and tonic kickoff.
Speaker 1: Was just for a dinner party. That was entertaining.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shatis were usually Sundays and then sort of you know, the gen tonics were usually kind of for dinner parties or sometimes Sundays also. But but my day or to use it, well, actually any any any day and ending in a why but my mother, my mother did look, she loved to cook and there's a good cook and love to entertain as well. So we did, you know, we certainly grew up with that being instilled that we Saturday, you know, everyone sat on the table and and and I know I've become the stickler in our house about table etiquette, about the table. I mean, but we're down to basics at this point. We're like, maybe to.
Speaker 1: Use a fork.
Speaker 2: That's a big one. That's a big one. Yes, we have to.
Speaker 1: This is scary if I come to dinner to.
Speaker 2: Oh, good grief, yes, my god. Yeah, there's a spoon for knuckles. But ilse still have to do no nothing, nothing crazy. I'm a little too crazy about the holding of knife and fork.
Speaker 1: That is another cultural difference.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, My big thing is it's not a pen. I'm like, it's not are you writing with that knife? It's not a pen?
Speaker 1: And then Americans put their knife down.
Speaker 2: Yes, when they eat and then so the far more selective, which is why, which is why meals take hours? Yes, lord, can we mind dying the dessert?
Speaker 1: Okay, So back to the etiquette at the at the house. We have to sit down at the table and use our knife and fork.
Speaker 2: Correctly, and then and then and then and then you know, then went into then went to the second phase, which is conversation, which can you please can you please ask a sibling a question?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Joe Biden, I interviewed his sister and she talked about meal times at the Biden household, and everybody had to go around the table and talk about their day.
Speaker 2: And I'm with them.
Speaker 1: There we are, and he became President of the States. Of course, this could also end up with somebody who just dreads meals.
Speaker 2: You know, that's my hope for the children.
Speaker 3: I think I think we're succeeding.
Speaker 2: Then I think we've succeeded. I think I think we've nailed it. Yeah, So the we've set aside money for their therapy so they can say we used to dreaded times were it was it was positive.
Speaker 3: River especially by the time we come around to him, Well, how was your day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like it's like, what's the minimum I can say that, get me away from this table as quickly and get.
Speaker 1: It done as quickly as quickly so the meal time. So you so growing up you had they but actually it's interesting that you had wine your parents. Was that only for entertaining or.
Speaker 2: No, they have wine? Did have mine themselves?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they enjoyed wine. I mean the culmination of the week was always the Sunday roast and that was everything kind of everything. You know, we'd go into the dining room for that, do you know what I mean? And it was always Where did you grow up in Cardiff and Wales? Was that like my parents were teachers and then my father became a principal of.
Speaker 3: A Welsh speaking school.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so, and you know, I think the Welsh, like a lot of the Celtcer, kind of very culturally minded in order to kind of keep their own culture alive. So culture was a big element in the house. Music was big.
Speaker 1: You say it was a Welsh speaking school. Did they speak anything other than most in.
Speaker 2: The school nor English? Lessons were in English, but that was it. Everything else is taught in the medium.
Speaker 1: Of Welsh and had you spoken of before you went Yes, yeah, I learned English.
Speaker 2: I remember, I remember, I remember learning English like there was this new phenomenon my you know. It was like we used to call it yes, no language, because it's all I could say for a while, and I was like, why are we learning this language? What's this?
Speaker 1: And do your children?
Speaker 2: I speak only Welsh to our youngest Sam, and he's entering into his the beginnings of the rebellion. When he's now saying no, no, no, just say it in mama's language, when you know the greater complexities are coming in. You know, I'm trying to explain to him what insurance is in Welsh? Wait what what? Just say in mom's language. No.
Speaker 3: He he knows everything you're saying, and in his accent is exactly right. But he likes to answer in English.
Speaker 1: He's in school. I was. I lived in Paris and a friend of mine had six children American in Paris, married into this very very ground French family, and she said, I have to speak to my children in my language, you know, because speaking to your children is complex enough. Of course, then if you're trying to think about the past or the future, chance or whatever it is, you, But do you feel more comfortable in Welsh?
Speaker 2: I do, and it wasn't It wasn't a particularly conscious choice. It was just something I did absolutely instinctively when he was born. But then I speak to dogs in Welsh as well, so I don't know what that tells you.
Speaker 1: I want to tell me about Welsh food very sores an identity as much as language. With the food, there.
Speaker 2: Is there is in that way that I think the Irish and the Scots have, which is very much a peasant culture, that off cuts are primarily everything you do and the big, the great dish in Whales is we call it cowl, which is a lamb's neck soup, so it's lamb's neck and then usually potatoes, leaks, carrots.
Speaker 1: How do you make it?
Speaker 2: Very very simply. Everything is basically boiled with milk and salt, and that's kind of milk. Yeah, a little bit of milk.
Speaker 3: I remember the milk milk going.
Speaker 2: Not not a huge amount. Well maybe I've mis misremembered that, but no, I'm pretty yeah, dash kind of a dash of milk and then yeah, you kind of you you, you know, fry up the onion and the leaks. First, the carrots, boiled the potatoes a bit, and then fry up the lamb's neck and then add it all together and boil it up.
Speaker 1: Do you take the beat off the neck? Does it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah? Yeah, yeah yeah, with some time and salt.
Speaker 1: What else do you the.
Speaker 2: The other big one was seaweed or you know, lava bread, which is a triple cooked seaweed and that is usually made into a patty with kind of oatmeal and then fried in bacon. Fat.
Speaker 1: Fast has nothing to do with bread, lava bread, No.
Speaker 2: It's basically more like a kind of looks more like a hamburger paddy and and and then is eaten with kind of cockles. So you know, the majority of the country is by the sea, so enormous kind of again peasant influenced. Where can they scavenge from from the shoreline.
Speaker 1: But you had the Sunday rose that was always big, and that was would that be lamb?
Speaker 2: A lot of lamb My father's family predominantly, A huge number of them are sheep farmers. Yeah, so a lot of lamb is eaten. It was lamb and beef. Those are the big favorites. And then you know, we were always obsessed with Yorkshire pudding which I've which I've terrified carry with because but your Yorks puddings are challenged.
Speaker 3: Fantastic, isn't it.
Speaker 2: The kids love the kids obsessed. Yeah, yeah, they call them those bread things.
Speaker 1: And did you go to restaurants?
Speaker 3: I didn't go. I mean that I don't think we had the money for that and I did not go. So it was all in my kind of twenties starting to go to restaurants and our kids come with us to restaurants.
Speaker 2: Restaurants for me growing up very special.
Speaker 1: Is it like in Cardiff?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know it was. It was. There was a there was a great seafood game there, there was, but there were especial occasions birthdays, Mother's Day we always went out. And then yeah there was like you know, when when we finished big, big exams, there was this one place I think it's still going called the Walnut Tree in Abergaven.
Speaker 1: I remember the Walnut Tree was really what was his name? Do you remember? I under time, Yes, because I think he started a bit before before Rose and I did the River Cafes. It must have been in the early eighties, said he did.
Speaker 2: The Walnut It was because my parents, my parents said when we finished at eighteen, the big you know a level that the walnut tree was where we were allowed to go, and that was for me like that, the dizzy and height.
Speaker 3: What did you what did you eat?
Speaker 2: What did they used to do? This incredible seafood platter there? And the first time I met my older sister, she know, she finished exams, we took her there and I saw the seafood platter, was like, what is that? So when I went, that's what I ordered again.
Speaker 3: Because it just seems so fancy.
Speaker 2: It was. It was something incredible. It was like a.
Speaker 1: If you like listening to Ruthie's Table four, would you please make sure to rate and review the podcast on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thank you. So you sort of grew up in these houses which were that you sat down for a meal, you were cooked for sometimes you had a cocktail and your grandmother and did that. And then and then you particularly I think you started pretty young being away from home. What did you do? Yeah, I think, so what was that story of kind of being taken away from this or it's hard to separate it from the comfort of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I guess I was.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I started working about when I was about fifteen, pretty young. I my life. I love everything that I have been able to do because of this strange circus upbringing that I've had. But there was a point when I was doing a television show in my young twenties called Felicity and working crazy long hours, and I had at that point real like romantic nostalgia heartache for regular things like family and dinners, like really basic normal stuff, girlfriends and birthday parties. And because I was working at such a pace for so long that I think the wonderful thing about our lives now is, you know, we work really hard, crazy long hours till three in the morning or whatever while we're shooting a show or a movie or whatever, and it's this uphill sprint, but then it affords us six months off where I get to do nothing but do laundry and organized birthday parties and walk kids to school and cook bad dinners.
Speaker 2: And you know what I mean. So you know, I.
Speaker 3: Think it informed my real longing for and the importance of those family dinners. In my younger twenties, I consistently would seek out boyfriends that had that big family and those moms who cooked, and I realized, oh, I'm dating you for your mom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, you're you're okay, yeah, yeah, you know I want I want that like cozy you know those I just think cooking to be a good cook.
Speaker 3: Which I am not. After one kid, I was a little bit more involved in it. I would bake a lot, do a lot of things. And then now that we have three kids, life is really busy and careers and I know I'll get back to it. But to be a good cook, it's just I just think it's the highest art. It's just such a you've got.
Speaker 2: She's got a very good she's being modest, she's got a very good baking game. Makes it just gone. And every birthday, every birthday, I ask there's only one thing I have my birthday, which is a pear cake that you make with her. What's the cream cheese frusting? Yeah, that's a good one, that is That's only only thing I asked for every birthday.
Speaker 3: But I'll get back to it. I like, I like doing it when I have time.
Speaker 1: When you take the time, When did you leave.
Speaker 2: Home when I was eighteen, you know, going to college in London, where did you get I went to the Royal Academy to study acting.
Speaker 1: Did you go home when you were living in London? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have such visceral memories of running to Paddington and grabbing a four pack of Stellar to our for the train. That was what we always what we always did.
Speaker 3: What I need right now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And the real Yeah, the real treat was always say you went back for a weekend or something you would like, Mum would do a slightly early Sunday roast so you can get you know, the train and one of the last trains back to London. But yeah, we always headed home for Christmas and all the big holidays.
Speaker 1: Did you have either of you ever work in a restaurant?
Speaker 2: I worked. It wasn't quite I wouldn't call it a restaurant, but I was. I was a kitchen porter for for a little while, well for a summer, just being shouted at as I washed dishes.
Speaker 1: Did you ever I didn't.
Speaker 3: I liked other things, but yeah.
Speaker 2: I played a chef once a. Yeah, who did you play?
Speaker 3: And who trained you?
Speaker 2: It was? No, it was Who's who was the Three Mission Stars? Marcus?
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember that, Yes, And I remember when he was doing that and.
Speaker 2: I Bradly Bradly Cooper, you know, did a lot with a number of different chefs. He was kind of you know, filleting grouse and all kinds of stuff. And I remember they said to me, and they said, you have this scene where you make a French omelet for Bradley and then you make an espresso and then you smoke a cigarette. And they're like, you'll be fine, You'll be fine, You'll be fine. Right, So we had we had all Marcus Marcus's people on set, well initially actually have to. So they say, we're going to pull you in an hour early and we'll show you an hour early. And I was like an hour omelet. I was like, surely, I put it in a microwave, don't I. This is madness. So I'm showing how this how this French omelet is made. And there's so much whisky, like you've got to get here into this, You've got to get into this. I was like, well, that's easy, it's just whisk And I tried this thing so many times and for some reason it came out looking like a trainer that a dog had chewed right, and you could see whoever Marcus is kind of one of his suit chefs. Was looking on abject horror as the way I was doing this, as was the director, like he can't do it. And in the end it's not even my hands who make the omelet in the movie. It's actually playing the piano. Oh my god. It's because and I was so arrogant in my in my thinking that was like, oh.
Speaker 1: I can anybody can do it?
Speaker 2: Was it was to me. That's when I was a humbling moment.
Speaker 1: Do you go out to restaurants in Brooklyn?
Speaker 3: The good restaurant?
Speaker 1: Do the real scene are.
Speaker 3: My most favorite thing that we did when we were dating, and we continue to do even more than sitting in a restaurant. I love meeting you. We go to great restaurants, but we always sit next to each other at the bar. Yeah, and I love that. I love going early and you can sit closer to somebody and just and we usually leave just as it starts getting busy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's the best thing to do.
Speaker 1: It that sounds like things are good, yeah, really good. And so the love you have and reminiscing about your memories. So there is also food as comfort, so times when maybe things are not exactly as you want them. Would you turn to a food for comfort? And if you did, what would that be? Who wants to go first?
Speaker 3: I would almost always cook something like we're going to cook. I mean, you make the joke about when we go out really late and I come home at eleven, still make that before going to bed, which is just a you know, like a really simple pasta with butter and whatever I have. I'll even add rosemary to it, but stage would be ideal, but whatever. It just kind of salt and butter in pasta. That's what feels good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm certainly with you on that pasta. But to me, if I'm talking pure comfort, it would it would always be that the cow the.
Speaker 1: Super I was going to say, I thought it might be that.
Speaker 2: Made just so it's hard lined in that it was always the great source of comfort. Either when you is to play football, you know, play soccer, and I went coming in on a winter's morning when you're so cold, and that was always on the stove, and it would be with a huge piece of bread that you tea and some cheese, and that was that was kind of everything.
Speaker 3: Actually when your mom, before we lived together, your parents would come and she would leave and before she would walk out of the apartment, everything would be clean, and she would leave cow on the stove for you, yes, and then she would they would go to the air.
Speaker 2: I would, she would. It was one thing quickly I was when I lived in La just before I'd gone to Los Angeles, I'd gone to Argentina because there's there's a Welsh community in southern Patagonia, and I felt very in that very cliched, obvious male way, kind of fell in love with Malmon style of cooking and the great asado is great, incredible, and I had we kind of had a distant We found a distant relative who was obsessed with a sad and he taught me how to had a cook you know, a whole whole lamb on the cross. And when I was in La, every month, first in David's day, I would go and buy a full lamb and we would we would do it on you know, we would do a sada style on the cross over like seven hours and have this huge party when it was kind of carved up at the end of it. That was always a real highlight to me. March the first could you do that?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I like to think that I could.
Speaker 3: I was going to say one thing about you and I think is we both have I think we both love the bringing everyone together and having really good food. But I think there's something in the fun of the theater of it as well that we love. You know, your friends Jason and Tash are such intuitive, beautiful, creative cooks, and it just becomes a whole fun theatrical thing visually as well. And you know, we did that thing for all of our friends up in the mountains up where we had that chef and we said we want to do it outside with and everyone came up on the mountaintop and I think.
Speaker 1: We both was that here, Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Whole hot gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really.
Speaker 1: I think food is drama, you know, being in a regiment, and also the idea that you know, no matter how you're feeling, you.
Speaker 3: Have to act.
Speaker 2: Yes, you have to do it. You have to do it, you have no choice. You don't need to do that.
Speaker 1: But mostly I don't have to because I love I love being the River Cafe and just see your beast, where when are you coming soon?
Speaker 3: Because I'll be back for the diplomat hopefully soon and will come always always, always be with I would.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're going to get Sean still with you, very very well. I was going to say, ask her about the ask about Cowl and sure.
Speaker 1: All our conversation it's really well, you'll meet him, and thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you for asking that you fund.
Speaker 2: Ruthie's Table four is produced by Atamei Studios for iHeartRadio. It's hosted by Ruthie Rogers and it's produced by William Lensky.
Speaker 4: This episode was edited by Julia Johnson and mixed by Nigel Appleton.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Fay Stewart and Zad Rogers.
Speaker 4: Our production manager is Caitlin Paramore, and our production coordinator is Bella Cellini.
Speaker 3: Thank you to everyone at The River Cafe for your help in making this episode.