Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. This is Bloomberg Business Week Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business, finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Let's get to what has been the week of whiplash when it comes to US treasuries.
Speaker 3: I really have focus on rates too around the globe.
Speaker 2: We've got a great roundtable Irid Jersey, Bloomberg Intelligence chief US interest rates strategists, and Sarah Hunt, chief market strategist at Alpine Saxon Woods, both here in studio. Traders are increasingly questioning what Treasury Secretary's next move will be after what's been I think it's safe to say a bit of a turbulent market bond market this past week.
Speaker 3: Sarah, how do you see it?
Speaker 4: I think that it was a surprise that they that he came out and said this is what we're going to do in the long end of the curve. I think everyone's been looking at worsh Chairman warsh and looking at the Fed and seeing what's going to happen with interest rates there. I don't think that people were expecting the Treasury Secrete to come out and make his own news on this particular front. And I think there are, as you can see, quite a lot of questions about one, how this is actually going to work mechanically too, whether or not this is going to actually help the long end of the curve, which was arguably the idea, because you've you round.
Speaker 3: Tripped that all it did and didn't it didn't.
Speaker 4: And on the other hand, gold is just like, okay, we're gone, and it just is going again today. And I think that that's, you know, whether or not the only signal that gold gives is that we don't like anybody else's decisions, or it's just a way to play a different angle. I think that you're seeing the reverse and interest rates didn't reverse gold, so that maybe an anticipation of further movement.
Speaker 3: Gold up five percent this week. Yeah, we've seen a big move.
Speaker 5: I mean, Ira, where do you stand on this now that this is Friday, it's been a couple of days.
Speaker 3: Yields are still moving up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, yields are kind of flatish right from the beginning of the week. So yeah, it did a whole lot of nothing. You know, devil is in the details here a little bit, so you know, we won't find out the exact size, you know, he says maybe next week that they'll tell us more information. I did think it was really funny when Scott Besson said, you know, we're doing this because there's you know, low liquidity in the middle of summer and things like that. But this doesn't start till September ninth, so I'm not exactly this summer, I guess, but it's not August, it's not now. And in fairness, like I was looking at the depth of the market actually right around the time that he said that, and actually the depth of the market was not bad, right. The depth of the market was your typical summerish levels, not insanely low. So it's not like they really needed the direct liquidity support here that.
Speaker 3: I was going to say political or did the market need this? Sarah?
Speaker 7: So I you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: I think that people have been concerned globally about rates rising, especially on the long end, and that's been a problem for investors. It's been a problem for all these companies that are now trying to finance the entire.
Speaker 7: AI build out government.
Speaker 4: So the question is, are we doing something because this exact amount of money is going to make a change, or is the fact that we're saying we're going to do something reminding everyone that the government can come in at any time and change the game.
Speaker 7: And I think it's a little bit to me of that.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you feel about that I read, but that was my take, was a little bit like we're going to do something and not just stand there and let the market figure it out.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think they did this, and it was kind of underwhelming, Right. It's kind of like the Federal Reserve in December of two thousand and seven when they did you know, they did a forty billion dollar program for a three hundred million dollar problem, and so something like that. Maybe there will be a little bit more shock and all. But there are risks to what they're doing too, right, like if they're going to issue a whole lot of tea bills in order to buy back a lot of debt, and let's call this what it is, if it's going to work, and if the President and Treasury Secretary are really serious about getting long end yields down, they have to do this in size, and we have to then call this an operation Twist similar to what the Treasury Department did in ninety sixties. And they if they do that, the one big risk for them is what happens if the Federal Reserve has to raise interest rates because they're going to be issuing te bills which capture that interest rate move almost immediately compared to thirty year debt, which you know obviously takes thirty years to recapture that new interest rate environment.
Speaker 5: Sarah, what do you think it means for the FED? Does this that all kind of alter when we do get I move find FED.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure what the answer to that is.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if there's any actual coordination going on that we don't know about.
Speaker 7: I mean, what we see is what the headlines are.
Speaker 4: We don't see what everybody's talking about it behind the closed doors. So whether or not there is a conversation, I couldn't tell you. One would hope that there might be some sort of coordination or at least an understanding, because otherwise then you start to look like you've got government departments fighting one another.
Speaker 7: So what's your take on that.
Speaker 6: Well, I think that they're not coordinating, because if they were coordinating, then the Federal Reserve would not have stopped buying tea bills. The Federal Reserve was doing these reserve management purchases, buying ten billion dollars of tea bills every single month. So if they were coordinating, and Treasury Secretary Besant said to Kevin Walsh, Hey, we're going to be issuing more tea bills to buy thirty year debt, how about you buy some of those tea bills. Well, the Fed's not buying those tea bills. So if there was coordination, it was pretty poor.
Speaker 2: Is this President Trump potentially to saying, hey, Scott besstt, I need you to do something because my fed share isn't doing something.
Speaker 3: Is it possibly?
Speaker 7: I don't absolutely possible?
Speaker 4: Right again, I think we're all trying to understand, struggling to understand exactly what the point is in the timing frame.
Speaker 2: So fast forward, Okay, so do we get answers at Jackson Hole is coming week? I mean, we have a fed share who has already shown he doesn't like to say a lot or lay out the metrics of what that you know what metrics he is following and the FED is following the FOMC in terms of figuring out monetary policy.
Speaker 3: Do you think we're going to get anything this week?
Speaker 6: Well, he's told us he's going to frame the big questions and you can lay them out.
Speaker 3: But if you don't say what you're following.
Speaker 6: Well, and this is the challenge that Kevin wore really has had, and I don't think he's done a particularly good job in communicating with the markets, because you have to give the markets something, right, you can't give them nothing, and he's basically given the markets nothing. So he has to either say give some kind of forward guidance or say if this happens, then we will react this way, so give a reaction function. You have to do one of those two things. It's interesting because you put MERPHN. King, former Bank of England governor on the Communications Task Force. This is what Murphy King wants to do. He says that, hey, we want to give the reaction function. We don't want to give forward guidance. But Kevin worsh clearly has if he read that paper, then he's not following it for sure.
Speaker 4: Well, and I also think that you're at the point now where you have to really look at that speech. If you were if it was going to be under a microscope, now it's under five.
Speaker 2: Right now, you went from yes, this is where all every LM is going to get that speech, and we're going to get analysis.
Speaker 4: And everybody was focused on the FED and then they turned to the Treasury. So now the fed's now and now they're extra focused on what they're going to say. And the fact that the communication has been I would say uneven a word that you could use, doesn't help the situation, and I think that it makes it more important to clarify whatever. So I think Jackson hole is you know, we're all going to be sitting around on Friday watching what's going.
Speaker 6: On, and we'll probably all fall asleep because it won't be very interesting, but.
Speaker 7: We're going to have to watch.
Speaker 6: Well, we're gonna be waiting for the walk, right, We're gonna be waiting for all this.
Speaker 3: Tomkenlee's are going to be there. It's going to be interesting.
Speaker 2: Sarah layer on top of this, and we've already talked with Ara about this about the data center build out, and you write in your notes the pushback against data center build That could be a blessing in disguise, as well as investor concern over CAPEX spending has been growing as the hyperscalers commit ever more.
Speaker 3: Equity and debt to the buildout.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about how the hyperscalers and everybody are related tapping credit markets and what that's done to maybe crowding out the treasury trade.
Speaker 3: What's top like, what are how.
Speaker 2: Worried are you about all of this tapping of the credit market for these AI guys.
Speaker 4: I think that there was definitely concern about how much money was being raised, how fast, and at the same time you've got the government racing into raising I mean everyone's raising money, right, so that was an issue. Whether or not this money is actually going to have a return on investment is another question that people have been going crazy about the idea that it's an arms race, that you have to spend faster than China. The fact that there may be a bottleneck could be a blessing in this guy is just in the fact that people are worried so much about that spend and how much of that spend is coming out of debt and equity and no longer cash flow, and if that slows down, maybe that gives investors some room whether or not that becomes a further race to the top between China. I mean, I'm not sure how to look at that capex relative to other things that I think that investors are struggling.
Speaker 3: With enjoy the crowd. I don't know how to look at it either.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like increasingly we say this, we see the headlines, we see the spend, and we're trying to put it in context.
Speaker 5: I also want to ask you about where equities go from here, especially rates stay high equity, because like we haven't really seen I mean even this week, like it hasn't been carnage in the S and P five hundred, but the thirty year yields is you know, at these highs, like does this continue? Your is there really going to be some movement?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 4: I sort of think that this is where Treasury came in and did something to the long end, because that was starting to get investors word and you were seeing the S and P start to degrade and the indices and other stocks underneath it as well. It's really going to be it's a combination of it's going to be about earnings. And somebody made the point this morning, and I can't remember who it was. They were saying, yeah, earnings are great. People are outspending those earnings. And that's a really good point because as we get into twenty twenty seven, are we going to continue to up the ante on spend and are the earnings going to follow? And I think that that's really earnings is the biggest problem or benefit to the S and P. And right now that's all been working in everybody's favor. If that starts to trip and that second derivative starts to go, it doesn't even have to go down, it just has to grow less fast, and that becomes an issue unto itself, given where valuations are.
Speaker 7: Can we just keep going?
Speaker 3: This is really great? Come back next Friday. Sure, I'll be in Princeton, said, all right, right, maybe a couple of weeks from now, Ivery Jersey.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Bloomery Intelligence, Chief you Interest Rates Strategists, and Sarah Hunt, chief market strategist at Alpine Saxon Woods.
Speaker 3: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Weekdaily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five East. During this listen on Applecarplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: There's a story that is definitely of great interest to the Bloomberg community, the market community, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's all about the probe into the business of Guggenheim co founder and CEO Mark Walter. Of course, he just sold off the La Lakers and reports talks about other possible asset sales, and it's all about the insurance companies of Guggenheim.
Speaker 2: I feel like we keep learning more and more about the story, but it's wild. We did have a team of reporters finding out exclusively that the investigation into his businesses, his insurance business, has also led to the Department of Justice to a small but pro lific credit reader. So let's get to it here with the team's reporting. And then one of the journalists on the story is Eva Benny Morrison. She's Bloomberg new Legal reporter. She joins us here in New York City. Eva, thank you, thank you for coming on. We've been talking about this story a lot. Start with the investigation. Why is the Justice Department seeking records from Egan Jones. What do we need to understand about how this investigation continues to evolve and why.
Speaker 3: They are all of a sudden, this small.
Speaker 2: Little known maybe firm, but as we know a prolific credit reader, is all of a sudden now a target or at least of interest for the DOJ.
Speaker 9: So a key part of this investigation is looking at how some of the insurance companies linked to Mark Walter made loans to affiliated parties. Originally these transactions were marked US unaffiliated, but it since turned out that the insurance businesses have had to restate twenty billion or so worth of these assets, and along with that, many of the assets have investment grade ratings from this credit radar called Egan Jones. So what we've learned over the past few days in our reporting is that the DOJ is requesting information from Egan Jones about these ratings. So they've asked from material related to Delaware Life in Clear Spring as well. This doesn't suggest that by any means that Egan Jones is a target, but sort of shows the wide net that prosecutors are casting to try and figure out how billions of dollars are worth, sorry, billions of dollars worth of loans from these insurers ended up being funneled out to affiliated parties.
Speaker 5: What does it signal when a company when an insurance company is using a credit reading firm like Egan Jones. I mean, look, I mean they're approved, they're able to give credit readings.
Speaker 3: So it's not necessarily not bad.
Speaker 5: But what can we learn about you know, the fact that this company was working with this particular reading agency.
Speaker 9: I think you know, these insurance businesses were big clients for Egan Jones. I think from what we can gather, at least a fifth of the assets related to Mark Well Walter's insurance companies relied on Egan Jones ratings. So I think it shows despite Egan Jones being a relatively small firm, it does play a really outsized role in rating a lot of the assets in the insurance industry, particularly at a time where Will Street has really seized upon using policy hold of funds for other investments.
Speaker 2: Right, and as you guys right remind us an investment grade reading from a firm like Egan Jones can help lower the amount of capital the insurance must hold in case the assets sour, so allowing them to run essentially their businesses more efficiently. It's just kind of a good understanding, you know, Ava, we were talking about this after this story broke, and it's just this idea we saw it during the mortgage meltdown and the two thousand and eight crisis, that kind of somewhat cozy relationship right between ratings agencies and the companies that need those ratings. I'm not saying anything is untoward, but what are we hearing from the company, from the US Attorney's office in Manhattan, from TWUG Global, Like, what are they all saying about this?
Speaker 9: I can definitely speak to the US Attorney's office in Manhattan because that is a key part.
Speaker 10: Of my bait.
Speaker 9: And you know, we've heard from leadership over the past twelve months that they are very interested in what is happening in private credit.
Speaker 10: It's going out, it's going down.
Speaker 9: They're looking at how it's grown so quickly, whether marks are being applied correctly, and how the role of these third party firms, what role they kind of play in assuring investors that this stuff that they're investing in is in fact investment grade. And ratings agency is one Ratings agencies are one particular area that prosecutors have been very much interested in.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you're following this story. There's a lot of layers to this, you know, this kind of saga here. What is top of mind for you? What what are you watching next as you continue to kind of report this out.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely so I am. I'm keeping a keen eye on where this how this all ends. For Mark Walter, We've seen that he has started selling down some of his assets, so for example, selling his steak in the Lakers recently were agreeing to it at least, and you know, seeing whether the by the insurance company saying that going to restate a lot of these transactions and some of these lines are going to be paid down, whether that's enough for regulators and for the DOJ to be satisfied with that as an outcome, or if the investigation continues at full throttle and we say we see some kind of penalty for some of the players.
Speaker 2: Involved here, how long am I it take to get some kind of resolution about what's the next step forward here, especially on a legal basis, just quickly?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Look, financial crime cases, investigations can take a very long time. We know this one has been going since at least the fall last year. So it's anyone's guest. Really, it could take months, it could take weeks. We'll just have to watch and.
Speaker 3: Say, yeah, it's very interesting.
Speaker 2: We know it's certainly something that's always top of mind for folks here on Wall Street and certainly those who read into the Bloomberg terminal. Hey, Eva, thank you, We really appreciate it. Eva, Benny Morrison and Bloomberg new senior legal reporter joining us there.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast. Catch us live weekly afternoons from two to five.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: During that listen on Applecarplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Well, President Trump said he would allow terror relief for some ground beef imports and a bit to lower prices for American consumers. It's a key concern ahead of November midterm elections. We talked about it with our own Jason Jeff Mason earlier in the two o'clock hour. Here's what the President said though on truth Social he said that for the next ninety days, the United States will allow up to three hundred thousand metric tons of product for ground beef to be imported with no out of quota tariff. President went on to say, we have a commitment that this beef will be sold at twenty five percent below current market prices. I still feel like, and I think folks think, there are still more details to be known.
Speaker 3: What we do know or what we.
Speaker 2: Don't know is what we want to ask our next reporter, Alena Pang is Bloomberg News agriculture reporter.
Speaker 3: She joins us on set.
Speaker 2: Elena, You've been following what's been going on in beef prices. We've all moaned about the high cost. What is significant about what we got from the president or is there still stuff to be known.
Speaker 11: The biggest unknown, I think is where the supplies are coming from. People are watching that really closely. I think the biggest bets are probably Australia, Brazil, Argentina. I think this move has been really interesting for the market because it's the latest in a series that Trump has tried to do so. He already tried to boost imports from Argentina, which for the first half of the year are about double what they were last year. Already, and soon the US is expected to resume live cattle shipments from Mexico also to ease supplies, and so I think a move of the scope from the President really goes to show just how stubborn that pricing has been that.
Speaker 3: Further action is needed.
Speaker 5: Okay, but you know, when you think about it, if there's a cattle shortage, how much can tariff policy really help that? And realistically what else can policy makes do to combat that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's a really hard situation for the industry. So what we see right now are really short term band aid fixes. In terms of imports, they're very much helping to fill the shortfall in demand, but the US net produces most of its beef already on its own, so imports, even as they're rising to a record share, record share, still sub twenty percent. And now we're in this really weird situation where US ranchers are trying to rebuild the herd, but that takes a long time. So basically the calculus they're trying to do is do I sell my animal for me right now and get really high prices back, or do I wait to keep that animal for breeding later on? And it's been really hard to do that. When you see this type of move the live cattle futures market plummeted today, So that's another move that's creating uncertainty for ranchers. Even more well, we happen to have a rancher with us. We are delighted to have back with us. He joined us earlier in the week.
Speaker 3: Van's Howard.
Speaker 2: He's CEO in Portfolio manage or of Howard Capital Management.
Speaker 3: We know that. But in addition to managing.
Speaker 2: Money, he owns and operates the bar Sea Ranch in Madisonville, Texas. They do specialize and registered long porn cattle. We want to bring you into the conversation that we're having here vance What do we need to understand about this business and what we're seeing in terms of policy out of the White House.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, they've kind of got themselves on a little bit of a pinch because you know, we do have a shortage of cattle right now. You know, if you look at Tyson, they shut down two meat packing plants about two weeks ago, one in Illinois, one in Utah for lack of supply, meaning they don't have the cattle to deal with. And you've got two different kinds of county.
Speaker 2: Goat all, right, a little bit of our freeze there. We'll see if we can get back to Vance. You know, Eileen, I want to go back to you. You follow this sector we talked about on the weekend with you about what Tyson has been doing because they just don't have the cattle, so they don't.
Speaker 3: Need the plants up and running. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 11: The meatpackers have been in a situation for basically since the start of twenty twenty four where they paying so much for cattle that they're losing money on every head that they process, and so they've gradually Tyson, JBS, Car, Gilt, they've all sort of pulled back capacity a little bit to try to ease that competition for supplies. To be sure, the companies are still profitable, but that's largely in their other segments like chicken. The beef business itself is losing money and Tyson, having already closed plants this time around, reported earnings again that again missed the mark cut their outlook and they're right sizing more Vance.
Speaker 2: I think we've reconnected with you. Maybe there was a cattle listening and count or something.
Speaker 12: And they maybe they put a tear iff on.
Speaker 2: Me exactly, maybe, so, so continue with your thought in terms of understanding the broader cattle mark, because it isn't just been terriffs.
Speaker 3: There's been other things that have been impacting the supply.
Speaker 12: Well it has been, and you know, when you look at the high cost but cattle right now where there's a lot of ranchers that want to sell at this high So you know, building back up the supply over ninety days may be more of a challenge than what people people realize, and what you're seeing with ground beef is different than what you're seeing with prime. Prime is at the fourth fourth highest price it's ever been in history, which is way up there. Now ground beef is dropped down quite a bit. But then again, you've got to look at the different kind of cattle. You've got live cattle and you've got fully grown cattle. Live cattle is about four to eight hundred pound calf or a steer, so it's a little bit cheaper. It's not a fully cow that's going to deliver the most amount of a beef. But I think there's a lot of challenges here and with the tariffs coming off, I think it benefits Canada, but also they think it can benefit us too. As far as dropping down some of these costs of you know, I'm own two restaurants too, and our cost of hand, our cost of prime stakes or through the roof.
Speaker 5: Okay, but over the long term, do those kind of downward price pressures continue from these tariffs, this tariff relief or do you we need to see more?
Speaker 10: Well, you're going to.
Speaker 12: I think you're gonna have to see more. I don't think niney days is going to put it in anything. And I mean, you know, a cow's got to breed, it's got to deliver a calf, it's got to grow up to the point that it can be eat. I mean, you can see my rug back there. We ate that guy, but so that's that's a cow hid back there. But it's going to take time to redo this. And again with high prices of cat, especially prime, you know, you're seeing a lot of ranchers that are selling off. But hey, here's one thing, and Carol and I talked about this last week when I was in New York. You know, we've got Elon Musk coming in with a semiconductor plant which is buying thousands of acres around Grimes County, in between college station and hospital. We're the rural part of Texas where with a lot of ranchers wells, he buys these ranch lands up. That's driving up the cost of land, which is you know a lot of ranchers are selling into that profit margin, so that's also going to increase the profit The profitability factor is a cow profitable if your land's real expensive anymore. So there's a lot of different dynamics going on here.
Speaker 2: So great for you guys who own the land for perhaps, but not necessarily great for reconsumers.
Speaker 12: That's exactly right. You know, I've got a good friend of mine, a good business partner. He's getting bought out by Elon Musk right now. I think he might have signed a contract last week for that semiconductor plant going into Grimes County, and they paid him a premium price to where he said, I can't, I cannot not take it.
Speaker 2: You know, I just got to say just one last question, Vince. You know, it makes me think about the food production, like when we're competing for things like data centers or what have you, or semiconductor plants. I mean, you've got to have places to produce food, and increasingly we want to make sure we have production domestically because if anything COVID taught us, supply chains can be impacted pretty quickly.
Speaker 12: And not only that, Caroll, is when you expand on that, it's incredibly dangerous for us not to control our food supply. That's not a good thing either. And by the way, when you import cattle from different countries, you know, I know the FDA does their job, but you know they're eating what they're feeding them down there, and so who knows what that is. On our ranch, we raise grass fed cattle with no preserved as no additives, and we try to stay away from any type of chemicals because we were trying to eat healthy down here. But you know, who knows what you're getting sometimes when you're getting some beef from overseas.
Speaker 3: Elena, last thought from you in terms of as you watch this market.
Speaker 11: I think we're starting to see interesting cues on the demand side that Carol and I talked about recently. The July fourth period is peak demand grilling season, and we sort of started seeing consumers become a little bit more hesitant, not necessarily demand destruction, like they're still buying it, but they're saying, we're not willing to keep buying more if it's at these prices, and you know, economics won a one curve. Either demand will have to come down or the supply will have to come back up from a significant herd rebuild, and I think everyone's sort of watching to see which one will pay first.
Speaker 2: All right, well, great stuff as always, Vance, Howard, thank you so much double duty in the last week.
Speaker 3: Really appreciate it, of course. Yeah, b Well, have a good weekend.
Speaker 2: Vance Howard, CEO and portfolio manager of Howard Capital Management. He owns and operates the bar Sea Ranch in Madison, Madisonville, Texas, specializing in registered long horn cattle and our own Eileena Pan also doing double duty for us when it comes to what's going on in the beef market.
Speaker 3: She's Bloomberg News Agricule reporter. Stay with us more from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five yeas during this listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: We want to kind of get to it because the excitement was over this personalized vaccine developed by Maderna and Merk. We mentioned it with the team and TV that reduced the recurrence of melanoma in a large late stage trial, raising expectations for treating the deadly's form of skin cancer. That's important, but it also provided the strongest evidence yet that messenger RNA technology will have a successful second act. It leads us to a Bloomberg opinion piece that caught our attention.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and on why this vaccine may be a marvel. So it's Lisa Jarvis. She's a Bloomberg opinion columnist covering biotech, healthcare, and the pharmaceutical industry. Previously, she was executive editor of Chemical and Engineering News. Lisa, thanks for joining us. Just talk to us about the significance of Could we call it a breakthrough here in an mRNA technology?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it's actually two breakthroughs.
Speaker 8: One for mRNA technology because we have not seen in a large stage trial an mRNA based therapy succeed in cancer, and it's also a breakthrough when it comes to personalized cancer vaccines in general. That's something people have been trying to work towards for decades.
Speaker 10: The idea has been around for literally more than a century, but.
Speaker 8: Biotech companies have been working on it for several decades, and so to have a late stage trial offer concrete evidence that this idea of using our own immune system priming it in order to fight cancer itself works is a big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: I feel like Lisa, we've been talking about this for a while, right, and really utilizing the body to figure out how to fight serious diseases or whether it's cancer, I mean, a.
Speaker 3: Big step forward. What else has to be done though, because there was so much.
Speaker 2: Investor enthusiasm this week over it, especially in particular for Maderna.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I think step one is for all of us to see the full results from this study. So we're going to want to see the details to understand the magnitude of the benefit.
Speaker 10: But I think the much.
Speaker 8: Bigger deal is that melanoma, though this is a this is a huge advance. Melanoma is kind of considered a low hanging fruit when it comes to cancer. Skin cancers have a lot of mutations that make it easier for immune cells to see them, and so we want to know that this is going to work outside of that, and certainly work in Maderena have a number of trials going and lung cancer, bladder cancer, and kidney cancer to prove that that's possible. But you know, we're going to have to wait for the readouts to know, you know, whether or this is a broadly applicable advance.
Speaker 5: And okay, remind us the results that we've gotten so far about the efficacy because you know, I guess we're just not used to hearing about.
Speaker 3: Vaccines as a treatment or something.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I think I think one thing that can be hard to wrap our mind around is that with the vaccine, you're actually, at this stage trying to keep the cancer from coming back. So you're teaching your immune system not just to beat down the cancer right now, but far into the future so that it kind of recognizes what a cancer cell looks like. So we don't have the numbers on this phase three trial, but we do have numbers from a smaller phase two trial that was long lasting.
Speaker 10: It looked out.
Speaker 8: Over five years and showed that for both recurrence of cancer and for these distant metasses so you know, the cancers writing other parts of the body, it was an improvement of forty nine percent over ki truda, which is merks very effective cancer, you know, therapy on its own.
Speaker 10: So that's a very big advance.
Speaker 8: And I'll just note, as I did in my column that he Turta had already really changed the paradigm when it came to melanoma, and so to do better than that by this much is why people are so excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think about you know, we've learned so much in terms of how to dealing with problems or with the heart, right, but cancer continues to be a really.
Speaker 3: Tricky healthcare problem.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's.
Speaker 2: Alzheimer's, there's other things too as well. But I just think about it because cancer can impact people differently, right, and so and bodies can can impact it. I've seen people with stage three or stage four who come back, and then there are others who don't. So it's just interesting. But this idea of kind of personalizing, but it is still also what's interesting is it's a double.
Speaker 3: Treatment, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what's interesting as well.
Speaker 8: Right, I mean I think, well, I think one of the things that we have advantage here is that you can really personalize this and market Maderna are doing that. So they take your patient's own tumor and they sequence it and then they use AI to find the mutations that are probably the most likely driving their cancer and for our immune system to respond to. And the idea is just like when we get a regular vaccine that you know it's gonna combat the cancer now, which the key truth to is helping, but that also it's giving our immune cells these kind of mugshots you know when the enemy comes back that we want to shut down and that it can roar into action, which has really been difficult. We have a lot of treatments that work very well in the short term, but not aren't curative, aren't giving people a lot of years where they're not anxious about, you know, a recurrence, which is which is difficult.
Speaker 2: Right, recurrents are spreading elsewhere, so right, if you could shut it down, you think about what that would do for people's outlook and their ability to survive this longer much longer term.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and I think even just their quality of life, being able to.
Speaker 8: Make decisions in the longer term without having that kind of constant worry. You know, we have to see the data, we have to know how long it's lasting. But I think this is so exciting because it changes the way that we treat cancer, you know, and it could really be meaningful for a lot of people, especially if it works outside in melanoma. And that is not to diminish the accomplishment in melanoma, which does affect you know, over a hundred thousand people in the US each year.
Speaker 3: So what else do we need to watch for.
Speaker 5: I feel like a lot of times in biotech and pharma, different companies start racing and competing. Are there other companies trying to do what Maderna is doing right now?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean BioNTech, which is the other company that we all came to know during COVID because they had partnered with.
Speaker 10: Buiser on their vaccine.
Speaker 8: They've been working on this like Mark since before the pandemic. We've got smaller companies that are working on it as well. I think one thing that we really should be advocating for at this point is more investment. I mean, this should be encouraging us to go all in because we know that it's a concept that finally has been proven. There has been some cutbacks when it comes to research in mRNA, and so I think, you know, trying to really put the foot on the pedal, but the so that we can get to a place where these are reality. Now, I'll just say too, like these trials, these late seaged trials take time. I think we're going to see some more readouts coming up and other types of cancers that will give us the first hint of you know, what our expectations should be when it comes to mRNA vaccines potential in a treating cancer broadly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think about some of those tricky cancers, having had pancreatic in my family, my husband's family, I mean, it's a terrible cancer, and maybe this provides a way of really tackling that one, because really, once once it is diagnosed, there's not a lot of hope for the individuals. One of the things I want to ask you, though, Lisa, before we wrap up here. You end the story saying the other question hanging over this otherwise good news is whether it will convince them any medical science skeptics and conspiracy theorists that messenger RNA isn't so nefarious. After all, we saw that coming out of COVID right about a way, is this going to alter your genetic material? And you know there are other things that came out of it just remind us and does something like this maybe change how the scientific community and the community overall look at messenger RNA.
Speaker 8: I mean, I certainly hope so, you know, it's a fleeting effect in our body, it's a vaccine. It's showing you something in the short term. It's not changing your DNA, and so I hope it's convincing. And you know, who can tell. But I hope that the people that were very worried in the skeptics and conspiracy theorists, who may have a family member that really could benefit from something like this, you know, open their minds a little bit and see that, you know, it's a technology we're supporting.
Speaker 10: We really needed make the investment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does feel like I don't know, it does feel like a breakthrough right in a lot of different ways, and I'm excited to kind of see where the research goes from here.
Speaker 3: Lisa, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: I'm glad we could bring everybody your column, especially after week where we saw certainly investors.
Speaker 3: Taking note of this move from Aderna. Lisa Jarvis, thank you.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal