Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. What's your name?
Speaker 1: My name is the Manny's name is Many. Yeah, I have a storia. I wasn't prepared for that. I'm French for my my English maybe not maybe not be the best. But yeah, man, how are you doing? Man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're French Canadian?
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, Yeah, I'm French Canadian.
Speaker 3: How did that?
Speaker 2: How does that work?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Like was Canada? Well, I'm not really I don't know what I'm doing by saying that. Okay, so Canada started out as like French people and then the English came and fucked them up? Or did it start out as English people and then the French came and sucked them up? Who's there first?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We started as the French people came here and then uh we went like from from Quebec to like Louisiana, and then the English people came in and you know, war and uh I guess, I guess war and they wanted to have like resources and stuff in there. Yeah, man, we got fucked. We loved the war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, you texted me something. I thought it was very interesting. I wanted to talk to you about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sure, So yeah, I'm a nurse, and yeah, you.
Speaker 2: You texted me. You texted me and you said, I help people kill themselves via medical aid in dying. So you you help people with euthanasia and you said, quote, it's the most beautiful thing you can experience. Tell me more about this. I was fascinated by that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we've got here in Canada and Quebec, we we have the thing called the Medical Aid in Dying. So so basically you have to have a diagnosis of like maybe having like cancer or like you know, things like that. And when you're like you have three months left to live, like you have to know that you're going to die in like three to six months. The doctors come in and they're like, oh, yeah, do you want to have like like your tunisia like thing? You know. So so we go there. I go there, I talk with the family and the person and we signed paper. We get a date and and then yeah, man, you you choose the date. And it's it's different from like a palliative care because when you have palliative care is like you're on morphine, so you just get dazed out and you die like slowly. But when you have like the maid things. You're fully aware of what's going on. So like you have your date and your family member's friends and usually people do like a little party and you know, at two o'clock, we come in, we talk with you, we give you the injection, and that's it. Man.
Speaker 2: I have so many questions, but first I want to know what these parties are like. Are is there music? Is there food?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Usually people like to do like music and like artist that they like, put it on TV. And they have like a big buffet, you know, like like the food that they like. And usually it's like I have like fifteen twenty people. That's the good people. But not the good people, but I mean the the people that as like a big families. That's what it looks like. It's a party. It's what you can think of I don't know, like Thanksgiving or something like that.
Speaker 2: And I got the vibe at these parties. Are people like dancing and they're happy or are they kind of like, oh, our friend is gonna die.
Speaker 1: No, it's more like it's mixed because like people like Reminiscent a lot of like stories and you know, talk a lot about their their past. And one family, like I knew they were there like from six in the morning, and they all like went into the room of the guy and they all like confessed everything to their father. And you know, like when I said confessed, it mostly like I'm sorry about what I did, blah blah blah. Help you see you liked what I in my life? And yeah, yeah, that that one was a good one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you remember any particular confessions that people made on their deathbed that stuck out to you?
Speaker 1: Not because I'm not there the all time. I'm mostly there like thirty minutes before we give the injection, but I remembered not confession. But you know, sometimes like there's a there's probably madic because sometimes the people the guy like the person wants to die, but some of the family members don't want it to like they see it's mostly in their religious people, like some of them, they don't always accept the decision because some people see it like as a suicide kind of like but you know, it's it's more like of a value a value confrontation. You know, like it's hard sometimes for people to accept it. So I'd say the biggest confession I heard about was like spinning money, was stealing money, wasn't big of a thing. But I can imagine that sometimes people tell other things that they want don't want me or the doctor to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how old are these people? Typically? Are these elderly people? Or do you have any anyone come in there? Young?
Speaker 1: The young Goods that I had was fifty two. Yeah, yeah, kind of kind of young. Yeah, how do people?
Speaker 2: How do people? How do people feel when they're dying?
Speaker 1: Then they're usually when I was there, they're not scared until we came in with the injection, you know, like they're they're mostly they're not anxious. Their decision is made. I guess I personally don't know anybody who killed themselves, but I feel maybe that's what it's like at the end, like your your decision is made, you know what you want to do, and like you're doing it. So so they're kind of calm through throughout the day and everything. But when we came in with the injection, that's when you know, you can they're a little bit stressed and with the doctor and I'm the one that gives the doctor the syringe. We have to do it fast because you know, when you started, there's no turning back, you know, so so you don't want a guy to to like mid mid syringe say oh stuff, I don't want to do I don't want to do it. You know, they're they're aware of it. When we started, it's like we finished the session.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's fucking terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but you know, the thing is the thing that is beautiful I feel is you know, Telliative Care. Do you know anybody who like telliactive care.
Speaker 2: That's the version where you just kind of like die slowly in hospice.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, yeah, exactly, No no, because that that thing and is hard. You know, I'm doing it at home and man, it's a it's an hard toll on the family, Like they have to give them the and you know, the people can be the person can be like like three to four days unresponsive, but they're still breathing, and the breeding is like more like it's like they're they're drowning in their own you know, water inside their their lungs. So it's not a beautiful experience from what I see with the Maiden that it's more of like a celebration of life, you know, like they can talk to the people still, and yeah, it's it's a beautiful experience. I wasn't when I was set sick before when I started doing the missile care. But and the first time it was really weird.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I was there. The guy was around eighty eighty years old and they didn't have grandchildren. And I go over there and yeah, like a mementose and a lot of narrotse thing and it was my first time and I was just starting tool and I was like, what the funck?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: What am I doing here? Was weird? Yeah, M.
Speaker 2: Is this a This sounds very Canadian. I don't think this is something that is this not available in America?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure. I know in someplace in Europe, like and Switzerland. I think they're doing doing it in Switzerland, but other than that, I don't. I don't know, man, that I know that we just did the first time with the COVID this week, first time, not my not here at my where I work, but in Canada we did the first person who had a long COVID received the medical aid in death first time. So so you have to have some criteria, but we're like, we have some We have a democratic problem which people are an older and they don't die. So I feel like the government or like enlarging it to be like accessible for more people right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hmm yeah. Now if you were diagnosed with cancer, would you want to go out like that? Or would you want to ride it out in the hospice?
Speaker 1: You know, I would do it like that. Yeah, I would do it like that. I would do it. I would do it like on a boat or something. Yeah, I would. Because tell yetive care is a is a bummer.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's a lot of pain and everything?
Speaker 2: Where do you think we go after we die? Do you believe in some form of afterlife?
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, I would like to, but I'm I'm not convinced. Like there's a thing like, uh, when you don't believe in God. I know, I don't know the expression, but it's like when you're on a plane, if you don't believe in God, well you're gonna believe on God when the plane is going to crash, Like you're trying to find to think that there is very there is somebody that can save you. So I don't know, man, I would really like to, but in the end, it's it's only like a d M T thing that I'm buzzing find my own mind and I live for like five years and and you know if that's I don't know, man, I don't know if there's something. I hope, I really do, I really do, do you.
Speaker 2: Well? We have data, sorry, we have we kind of know. We have experience not existing. For most of the time we've ever not been. For most of all the time that anything has ever been, we have not been. And for most of the time that anything ever will be, we will not be. So I assume that the most of the time that will forever be where we will not be is exactly the same as all of the time that ever was when we were not right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, makes sense, makes sense.
Speaker 2: Tell me more. What's the most beautiful thing that you have seen in uh? In helping people with this? Uh?
Speaker 1: The beautiful the most beautiful scene I'd say that I had. It was like the guy was from Europe and then he was in his house, but it was like a big house and with a big in a big room, and he was like downstairs, but he was looking upstairs and it was like, I don't know, there was stairs over there, and there were like twenty people at the top of the stairs and he was down downstairs with the doctor and when we started to give the injection, it was like, I feel like, I mean, what a beautiful painting? He said, yeah, what a beautiful painting. Yeah, he felt like and you know, it was like Europeans. So I don't know, like the the way he was talking was like very philosophical, but I don't know, like the maybe it was the accent. I don't know, man, it wasn't. It wasn't like my my weird accent.
Speaker 2: Wait wait you did you didn't like his accent?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it was a beautiful accent, like he was talking in trench. But it was I think it was tweeded or something. So it was like, I don't know. It was like I don't know, like fine wine, you know that there was something in his accent. So it was beautiful when he said it. Yeah, and I try most of the time because it's there's a lot of emotion when you you're giving it. We and the doctor too, sometimes we have like a little watery eyes because it's it's a it's a it's a good it's a special jest or you know, it's a something. And they turned gray fast, you know, like in they turned gray fast to that. That's one of the things that the family tells us every time is they they are not prepared that in like two minutes they turned gray and you know they're they're dead. That's it. It was talking like five minutes ago.
Speaker 2: Their bodies turned gray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, their bodies. Yeah, their bodies. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh wow yeah yeah really how how how long have you been How long have you been doing this for.
Speaker 1: I've been doing it for a year now. Yeah. Before I was in a I did seven years in rehab and now I changed and I started doing this.
Speaker 2: Now. You say you cry after every time, do you think, yeah, there will come a time if you continue to do this where you will become desensitized to death and you'll be putting a guy down thinking about what you're going to have for dinner afterwards.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, yeah sure, yeah. Yeah. It's like like you gets It's like you know when you start and you're in poop, like the first time you're cleaning somebody and you're like, oh man, I'm cleaning poop. That's that's crazy, that's crazy. I don't like it putting my hands in poop. Yeah good, Sorry.
Speaker 2: Oh no, sorry I was making fun of Uh.
Speaker 1: No, no, sorry, no, go for it and I don't mind. So yeah, so I was liking ship. You know, the first time you're like gagging and everything, and at the end you're like, man, it's only poop. I don't give a ship about the ship. So I think I would be like, like you said, I don't know what to say it in English, but I won't be as much as sensitive. But in the end, you know, sometimes you get more attached of some people and the other you're like, it's only you're you're just giving them what they want, and you know it's part of the job. So yeah, I'm pretty sure I think I will. But in the end, it's you're you're not doing this everye like every day, like maybe once every year, two or three weeks. So it's not you're left, Oh you're.
Speaker 2: So you're you're doing this once every two or three weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: And what do you do? What are you doing at work when you're not doing this.
Speaker 1: I'm treating wounds. I'm treating like I'm giving them like injection medication. Yeah, that's that's like maybe the one third of my job. The other two third is I'm taking care of people, you know. Yeah, so so mostly because then here in Quebec, Canada. We have free health care, but free health care also means the government pays for everything. And when somebody is in the hospital, it costs a lot of money, so they prefer for them to stay at home. So that's when we get into picture, and it costs less money for the government for us to go to their place instead of them staying in the the the hospital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was it like working in the rehab for seven years? Was that more or less intense?
Speaker 1: Different? Man, because you have to do a lot of you know, you're one day I was doing rehab, but it was mostly people who had strokes and you know, so like physical rehab, so people have to you know, to go from being like a perfectly healthy person to to somebody who can't control half of his body and can't eat or can't speak or you know, they lose a lot of autonomy. So it was different. It was different because because half of the people, like they can't go back home even when they're young, like fifties, that those were the hard one, like in their forties or fifties that have a big stroke and you know, can't wipe their themselves anymore, you know, things like that. But the other for like people who who have like good rehab and go back home and just like try to start to be eating yelt again or you know, change a little bit of things. But yeah, that's it. It's different. Man. I was just I was doing I was there for seven years, and Indiana I needed to try something else. So I was like, I can be in Mark Carr and listen to a gecko going to some place to see a patience. So I can do that. I would like that.
Speaker 2: What's what's next for you on your journey? Do you think you're going to stay in uh in in made for for for for a long time.
Speaker 1: I think I can do another seven years. I think I'm gonna be I'm thirty one, so I started at twenty yeah, twenty four, so yeah, twenty two, twenty four, Yeah, so I can. I think I'm been doing another seven years and maybe I don't know, go work here with another doctor of some play else. I don't know what.
Speaker 2: Why did you why seven years? Specifically? Is that like the amount of time you're allowed.
Speaker 1: To do it or no? No, I don't know. It's just it's like the time I give myself to try something to see if I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, that's a lot of time to give yourself to try something.
Speaker 1: Seven years. Yeah, no, yeah, sure, sure, I don't know. Seven is a is a great number. Seven. I'm giving myself another seven years.
Speaker 2: And Elsie, well, actually, I'm gonna do this real quick. What's your name again?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Manny, Manny, I'm Manny. I'm gonna ask the the twitch chat that we are current least streaming on if they have any questions for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, right now, let's see if the twitch chat has any questions. Okay, we got a question. Anthony seventy nine in the chat asks if the hospital provides you therapy.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we usually like do a little caucus caucus at the end of the when we give one, so we're like all the people that work with him, and we talk with each other for maybe like a couple of thirty minutes or an hour, depends on how the procedure went. But also yes, it's we have paid the psychological help if we want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of people want to know if anyone ever backs out and changes their minds.
Speaker 1: Uh, you, it happened one time. But let's say if your date is like I don't know, the first of January, and you have three other times that you can like postpone it. So if you're like going up on the first of January and you're like, oh, I feel well, I'm going to try another three months, so you can't do that. But usually when you're the when you can have the maid, usually you're not going to go over a year. So that's why I say, like, you can do it three times, but in the end you're going to die anyway, so there's no there's no miracle happening. When when you're yeah, there's no miracle, people are going to die.
Speaker 2: I think I think people are wondering, like like like as anyone ever like had the party and then the guy comes in with the syringe and then the person is like, wait, actually don't want to do this.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, nope, never never never never no.
Speaker 2: Okay, good because that's that's well you kind of you kind of alluded to that happened and that was terrible.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, it it happened. Uh no. I had a case in particular. But the guy was like, we were gonna come like in the afternoon, and he called us and said you wanted it to be postponed, but in the same week you we came back because he wasn't well enough. And that's the other thing. If you want the maid, you have to be eligible. You have to be You cannot have Alzheimer or something or something like. You have to be aware or I don't know in English. Fuck, you have to be like oriented. You cannot be. It's not somebody else that can take the decision for you, Like, if you have Alzheimer, you cannot sign the paper, right, you have to.
Speaker 2: Be I guess you would. I guess mentally competent would be the word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Somebody said, uh, what's the worst part of the.
Speaker 1: Job, Uh paperwork? Wow?
Speaker 2: If this man has a job where he kills people and the worst part is paperwork?
Speaker 1: Yeah, paperwork, man, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I bet you do need to fill a lot of paperwork to kill people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly yeah. Oh yeah, man. You have to protect yourself love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. Final question. Do you enjoy maple syrup?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, I do. Every day in my coffee, I put like one third of maple syrup. I'm gonna be diabetic pretty.
Speaker 2: Sure because that try are you are you? Are you being facetious or do you really do that?
Speaker 1: No, for real, Yeah, every day.
Speaker 2: Every day you put I think whoever in the chat was just whoever asked that in the chat was just okay. Whoever asked that in the chat was almost certainly just joking. And then they got the answer that you put it in your coffee every day. You really put it in your coffee every day?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, every day. Maybe not one third, but every day I put coffee. I put it in my coffee. And it's like I take like there is like a I have a batch that is more thicker, so it tastes like a more and more sugar like, it tastes more of a sugar. So this one I put it in my coffee. And when it's more more of a lighter maple syrup, this is the one that you put on like pancakes and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you you'll take like Auntemima's and put it in your coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah how about Well it's not INtime my mind. I mean it's the good stuff, like the good stuff, the stuff you buy at the Yeah, no.
Speaker 2: We get it. You Canadian, You're you're better than us kind of pretty much.
Speaker 1: But no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna try that. That sounds that sounds good. I mean I already put like, I mean, we're putting crazy shit in our cough area. They were putting like, you know, frosted frosted doughnut Reese's creamer in our year. So it's the same fucking thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, I never went to Starbucks, but I heard about pump pumpkin spice, So I mean, what's the difference with you?
Speaker 2: Starbucks sucks? Even if if Starbucks ever came, you know, I guess like like I'd have to eat my words if Starbucks ever wanted to sponsor the show or whatever. But you know, until then, uh, I say, of my complete own volition, nobody paid. Dunkin Donuts is not in my pocket. I have to say. I fucking hate Starbucks. I hate how I hate their price to food size ratio.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know they they sell fucking cake pops, cake, They sell a bite of cake. Did they have this in Canada? They sell a bite a cake. It's called the cake pop and they sell it for four dollars. It's one bite a cake a slice for four dollars at some places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have tim Morton's. But since Dunkin Donut by bout it, it's not the thing.
Speaker 2: Wait, holy shit, Duncan Donuts bought Tim Hortons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's been like a couple of years ago. Yeah, four, four or five years ago.
Speaker 2: Okay. I also I have to say to you, of all those different chains like Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, tim Hortons is my favorite. Easy. That's better than the Dutch Bros. Or any of that shit. Tim Morton's is the best because they have all this. They have like savory stuff, sweet, they have like real if you want to go, If you want to get like a real fucking sandwich, at Starbucks, you're screwed. But at tim Horton's, they got you can get a bunch of you know, you can get your gross sugary eight hundred calorie drink and uh, you know some a grilled chicken rap or whatever. The fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, would you do?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 2: Basically, Basically, what I'm saying is you will be killing me very soon.
Speaker 1: All right, I like that, but you will do it the maiden if you could.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, when I'm dying of acute diabetes or whatever, I want I want you to I want you to kill me.
Speaker 1: All right, all right? Would you do it in suit?
Speaker 2: No? I would not know when I when I die, burn all my gecko suits.
Speaker 1: All right, goodness, I remember that.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 3: Manny? Uh?
Speaker 1: No? Man thanks and thanks for your patience with my with my accent, and hope you have a good time. Man Hey, have a good night, Manny, all right, see you bye?
Speaker 2: What else I mean? Yeah, Tim Hortons is good. I don't have anything. I don't have any other elaborations on that. Tim Hortons is good. Uh, Manny is good. I mean, if you're gonna die, that's the guy you want. That's the guy you want to kill. You there some of all people who have ever been murdered at the hands of another person, and like all those people that have murdered them. I think if I was going to pick a guy on this earth, who, if I was gonna pick out of all the people on the earth who kill like out of that sample size, I was gonna pick one of them to kill me, Manny would be at the top of my list. You know, I would rather be killed by him than like a Dahmer type of character. Hello, Yo, gek, what's up?
Speaker 3: I was literally just talking about you with my brother and.
Speaker 2: What were you saying to me? What were you saying?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 2: What were you saying about me?
Speaker 3: I had you up on Twitch and I was like, Yo, you ever hear about therapy? Get go? And He's like, what therapy?
Speaker 2: Gecko?
Speaker 3: What's that? And I'm like, Yo. People call into this with the wildest stuff to say, like longtime fan, first time caller. Oh, thanks hype that I got a hype that I got on with you. Man.
Speaker 2: Thanks man. I'm I'm I'm excited to uh to talk to you. Hold on, I'm trying to put I ah crap, hold on my my gecko gloves, Yeah, are kind of ripping apart. You want to know something funny actually is.
Speaker 4: I I was on Amazon buying another one of these costumes and I looked at the I looked at the fine print, and I saw something.
Speaker 2: That said only uh oh oh it said one time use only. So apparently, no, dude. So apparently like the costume was only made to be worn one time and then thrown away. So that's why these costumes like it, I I've worn one of these, like, you know, fifty times and it gets all fucked up and you know, ripped and stuff. Give me one second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got you. This is insane. I'm literally talking to him. You watching it right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, it gets uh fucked up and ripped and stuff like that. Blew my mind. I've been I've been doing this for four years, and I had no idea that these were one size. I know that there there one size fits all.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I've had uh people wear these, you know, guests and stuff that are like six five and yeah, you know, I'm I'm uh, I'm you know, five to one. And if it's me, so well, anyway, who gives a shit about my life? What's going on with you?
Speaker 3: I mean, four hundred and seventy eight people give a shit about your life? GEK, what you mean?
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm just being lame. What's up with you? Man?
Speaker 3: I mean I'm chilling. I texted you two different things, and I guess it'll be up to you which one you want to talk about, whichever one you find more interested.
Speaker 2: All right, you wanted to do text to me and you said, I want to talk about how being a black nerd is now wholly accepted.
Speaker 3: Okay, we can do that one or if you want to do the other one.
Speaker 2: I texted you, all right, it sounds like you. It sounds like you have something you wanted to talk about. So you go ahead and you tell.
Speaker 3: Me okay, so the yeah let me, well, yeah, let's just do it. Fuck it forget. So when I was young, I've always had an interest in martial arts, and I've always done martial arts as a kid, right, grew up doing it. Dad put me in it, freaking did it through school, joined the military, joined the Marines, got out, and really started investing myself in martial arts. Right, I started trying to do it professionally. I was training at a gym, at a pretty high end gym too. There were a lot of high level fighters that were there. I don't know how familiar you are with MMA, but like Frankie Edgar was there, Edson Barboza was.
Speaker 2: There as familiar with MMA as I look.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, fair enough man. So So I was dating this girl and she took an interest in martial arts as well, right, but she went to a different school than our own. Personal thing. I don't like having people in my space, I'm doing stuff like that, right, So she went to a different school, and long story short, she ended up cheating on me with one of the dudes there. Right, sucks huge balls, I know, through me kind of in for a loop, you know what I mean, kind of I don't know, kind of mess me up a little bit. But doing martial arts.
Speaker 5: Really helped me do that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So there are local tournaments right for different styles like jiu jitsu and boxing and boy Thai and things like that. So instead of like acting instead of acting out, I ended up signing up at every tournament that him and his school went to with me and my teammates and made sure that they never want to medal for the next like two years. And then him specifically me and him fought in MMA and in boxing. So I kind of got my little like karate kid moment to kind of get my revenge and like, you know, like my little Rocky Balboa karate kid moment, and like, I don't know, I always thought it was a funny way to kind of like how it all played out was absolutely hilarious and like a storybook almost, right, I think storybook was.
Speaker 2: It you were trying to live out like like an eighties movie where the guy steals your girl and so you challenge him to.
Speaker 3: A duel, except I didn't challenge him. We would just be there right, like the tournament you.
Speaker 2: Have to sign up. The way the way you phrased it was that you went out of your way to make sure. Okay, that's yeah, that's like subjecting someone to a duel more than oh yeah, yep.
Speaker 3: It was more like, hey, I'm in your hood, you better be here, right, Like.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you the same are I have a few questions? Are you the same weight class as this guy?
Speaker 3: Yes, within we're within like ten fifteen pounds of each other. So anywhere that he could go, I could go.
Speaker 2: Then when when you went to fight him, did he know that you were? You were? You had? He this his your girlfriend had cheated on you with him.
Speaker 3: She He didn't know at first until like the fourth or fifth time that I like specifically ended up matching up with him. Oh so like so the first two times, the first two tournaments that I followed him to, we ended up facing off early and I beat him whole hot. I beat him soundly right, submitted him in the first one, and then the second one, I beat him on points, right, And so the second time when I beat him on points, I like completely held him down, dominated the whole round, giggity, but I like stepped over him kind of disrespectfully and looked back at him when I was walking away. So like his coaches understood, like, okay, there's something going on here. And then when it happened again two more times, right, they were like, okay, what is going on? And so my coaches start asking me like, hey, are you okay? Do you have like an issue with this guy? And I was like, I fucking do. So the next time we can get into a boxing match, let me know, so I can suck him up.
Speaker 2: Are you were you about? Are you about to go? Are you about to go tyson on him and bite his fucking ear off.
Speaker 3: I wasn't going to bite his ear off, but I did want to make sure that I wanted him to know, like, you're gonna be in pain, right, So, like and to a little bit of a caveat, I'm not like this normally, right, marshal. Let's I'm very disciplined. I'm very like, you know, I don't really do that. I don't go out of my way to fight somebody. This just kind of happened, like.
Speaker 2: You wait, hold on, you just told me a story about you, like veheomly going out of your way to fight somebody. What do you mean you don't go You literally went out of your way to fight this guy? What are you talking about? It's fine. I'm not like, it's not like like whatever. I'm not judging about it, but that that's not a lie that you don't get it.
Speaker 3: I guess, uh, I guess without provocation, right, without provocation, I won't just go and be like, oh, I'm gonna fight you. You know, I'm usually a pretty chill guy. But in the UH, in the boxing match, I got to train with a lot of cool people. I got to train with, uh this man named Mark Henry, who was one of the like a very high level Olympic training. He trained like the Olympic boxing team at one point. So being able to train with him, and I was learning so much and fighting him in boxing. I hit him in his rib cage and I felt his rib move and then when he crumpled to the ground, it was shaky, right like I felt my heart skip of I felt my heart skip a beat, you know what I mean? Because I was like, damn, did he just die? But like he was like just wheezing kind of hard, and then I walked away. I got like I got separated from him, right, and then he didn't get back up after that, so well, Jesus. After after I heard he wanted to do an MMA fight. And at that time I was one sixty one and I was fighting at one fifty five and he was like one seventy. So I just ate. I just ate like crazy. I'm talking two breakfast is a day. I had a huge lunch, a huge dinner, just so I could wake up and be like one seventy.
Speaker 2: Right, you know, you know what I've been I actually, well I haven't been watching it lately. My friends showed it to me and so I spent one evening watching it. But do you know, do you know what st I think it's called Street Beefs is your streets?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be honest, get I'm not a huge fan of street beefts.
Speaker 2: Okay, well before we before we talk about it, Stree is like, okay, I watched it once. Street Beefs is like, uh, this back I guess it's a backyard. Mm A, yeah, there's no sanctions. It's but it's kind of like there's a ring and you know, there's uh, I guess, respect between the It's not like a street fight where it's like two dudes who like got pissed off at each other and started fighting it. But it is it's like an organized fighting thing. And and yeah, well so a why don't you why don't you like street beefs?
Speaker 3: Uh? The lack it's not even so much a lack of skill or anything like that. It just seems a little what's the word, like low brow, I guess, And I mean for a certain crowd, like, yeah, you love it, right, you want to just watch people knock each other out all the time, which cool, you know, But it's like it's like watching bum fights. I remember like bum fights from back in the day.
Speaker 2: Well, but but isn't okay. I don't understand though, is well bum fights is fuck it's different because the those are people fighting, like those would be like have to fight for a money. But this is like a street beefs seems to me like two people who both like have invested themselves in the sport of boxing or MMA or whatever the fuck it is and want to fight each other how But how is bottle? I don't know. I'm not I'm not defending anything. I'm just this is just my way. But so, but like, I guess, is that not when you're watching that ship and you're watching MMA where it's also like two guys brutally beating the fuck out of each other and bleeding, is it? How can one be high brow one below brow when at the end of the day it's both two guys who have decided to fight each other beating the shit out of each other.
Speaker 3: Well you could if you look at like the high level MMA guys, right, you can see some sort of artistry there, and like, obviously you got your rawlers, you got your like in guys who swings for the fences, right, everyone loves that. But you also have mixed in like real artists, you know what I mean. You have people who are throwing like crazy head kicks or crazy combos and you woke them up, and you're like, I can't believe that.
Speaker 2: I've seen some I don't know, bro, I've seen some art on street beefs. I've seen a dude like do a roundhouse kick to the face, and I'm like, that guy practiced that this is like a skill that he's developed. They're not just you know, weighing it.
Speaker 3: And it's just like the matchmaking also behind it is kind of bad because you'll see a lot of one sided like fights and people getting knocked out. Really bad.
Speaker 2: No, but the one, but the one, okay, I I okay, there's one fight that I watched. Oh god, yeah there's one I remember. I forget the name of the fighter. It was like little something uh or baby something shit, I don't remember his name, but I remember there's a fight between this guy and like some other guy, and the other guy had maybe an entire foot of height, maybe even like a foot and a half a fight at Oh yeah, no, it was literally like a little mac fighting fucking king hippo or whatever. And the guy, the guy who was the tinier guy fucking won. Dude. He got he like and he was he did. It was like watching like you know, Shadow of Colossus, where like the little tiny guy with the sword takes down a giant fucking dude. It was like watching a boss fight, you know what I mean. And he got him onto the ground and he started beating him up and he won the fight. So I was like, oh, Okay, I guess there's there's gotta be something to that. There's gotta be uh as this guy learned how to do this, of course. Well here's another thing though, Here's another thing I like is I watched one of it was just these two guys. They're pretty equal and uh they were they were. It was a pretty brutal fight and they're both bleeding at the end of it. But at the very end they like they were like they were like uh uh. There was a lot of camaraderie, Like they hugged each other, they shook hands, there was very it was a very uh, brotherly kind of a thing. You could tell these two guys, even though you just watch them viciously hurt each other, that they like loved each norm it was weird. It was interesting.
Speaker 3: Most combat sports, that's honestly the norm. You know, you get all that energy out and then you're dapping each other up at the end and shit's cool. Like it's a sport at the end of the day, right, So it's just competition, so both people know, both parties know what they're doing coming in, so there's no real hard feelings behind it, you know.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, I feel like okay to me. But the biggest fights that I see advertised, like what like yeah, when uh on a Logan Paul fights Mike when Logan usually and usually any time I see a fight advertising, it's like logan Paul versus someone, and usually Logan Paul and whoever he's fighting hate each other, right, like him and Mike Tyson or whatever they're they're talking about a ship back and yeah, right, So I feel like that, but like the biggest like like no, I feel like, no, that's that's just that that just doesn't generate publicity. These two guys are really good friends and they're gonna see which one's a better fighter. That doesn't generate as much hype. I don't think as these as as this guy's girlfriend cheated on him with this other guy and now they're gonna fight.
Speaker 3: Very true. I get what you're saying, and like, as a fan, I like both sides. Like I like when fighters can be respectful and I like when fighters talk a little shit, you know what I mean? I like I like both. I'm on both sides of the coin, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Are you have you ever gotten into a street brawl? Have you ever? No?
Speaker 3: Not never in my life, I've never fought in the streets like that.
Speaker 2: That's good, that's good. Yeah, those those videos are sad. They're like street yeah yeah, street beafs is like okay, these people like trained for this, they agreed to do it whatever, like just regular ass street fights that they they're sad because they're they're there's definitely like exactly you know, legit like anger exactly there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But to circle back real quick, like after the like two jiu jitsu matches, he understood what was happening, like he knew like he because she told him, because after I broke up with her, like she told him, And after the second like jiu jitsu match, he knew what was happening. So him taking the boxing match and him taking the MMA fight, like he you have to accept that fight, Like it's not like I just show up and it's like, hey, peekaboo, I'm here, Like you know it's me. You have to train for me and we're meeting together. We both know this, right, So.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: Very cathartic for me, right, And it was like one of the only times that I've ever had to that I've ever experienced anything like that. You know what I mean, Well.
Speaker 2: How many times did you fight this dude?
Speaker 3: Five total, across three different disciplines?
Speaker 2: Did you and you beat them every time?
Speaker 3: Every single time?
Speaker 2: Gek, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Wow, I was. I was in a different space, but I don't know, party like things back on it because I'm like, go ahead, kind of petty, you know, now you go ahead. You look it's like damn. Yeah, I'm like damn, it's kind of kind of petty, you know. But like, you know, I don't know what it was. I was like, you know what, I want to get my feet wet in this, and this is the way that I could do it, and I don't know, I shouldn't have part of me things like, yeah, you shouldn't have done that. You should have been a little more mature, you know, better about yourself. But at the same time, it's competition, fuck them trying to get my shit doing. But also yeah, like I should probably not be not be petty like that.
Speaker 2: Right, How many h How long ago was this? That's what I was gonna ask.
Speaker 3: Oh, this was definitely years ago, less than a decade, but more than about five years ago. I'm thirty five now, so like, yeah, I'm thirty five. Now I'm a little too old to be doing all that. So like it was yeah, yeah, years years ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you have a new girlfriends?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I have a lovely girlfriend now. She's amazing, beautiful, funny, cute, but chaotic energy. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's wonderful. Did you meet her a hinge?
Speaker 3: Actually? Interestingly enough, Yeah, the hinge thing was, all right, what.
Speaker 2: Do you have a picture of yourself like like shirtless wearing boxing gloves on your hinge?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, what really you don't, buddy, No, no, no, no, no no, because like it's it's kind of I don't know, I've never seen anyone have that type of picture up there, And I personally like I don't want to be clown like that, you know, like not that I don't have a nice body or anything, but I'm not too I'm a little self conscious about just showing it off like that. Sure, so I kinda like I don't do don't do that. I had like military pictures and shit like that, but I never put like a shirtless picture or anything like I never did that.
Speaker 2: Wall see. Okay, so you're more embarrassed of the shirtless boxing picture than of the military picture.
Speaker 3: Now, the military picture was me, like you, I was holding like a fledgehammer, right, I think I like broke open a lock, and my buddy like took a picture. There wasn't anything like crazy about the picture. It's just me holding a sledgehammer.
Speaker 2: You know that's cool. Well, you sound like a happy person.
Speaker 3: Honestly, Gek, I really am part of it.
Speaker 2: Honestly, is talking to you like that's that's a total I'm talking about it just in your real life, in your you talking to me is twenty minutes of a of a thirty five year long life span in which you seem as though you've been relatively happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly, I've been Uh yeah, I've been happy. You know, I've lived a pretty interesting ish life, so I could say I'm pretty happy dude.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, well, thanks for sharing your story with us, sir. Maybe maybe maybe one day, maybe one day we can fight.
Speaker 3: I like you, man, I don't want to fight you. I'll help you, I'll teach you how to fight. You know, but you're cool, dude. I want to. I want to.
Speaker 2: I wanna say I'm sorry you're saying you say you don't think I could You don't think I could like hold my own.
Speaker 3: No, I think you could. But like you're a nice guy, and I don't like to fight guys. I like, you know what I mean, Like you're a cool dude, and I wouldn't like you know, I wouldn't have that energy towards you.
Speaker 2: I'll say this real quick before we go. I actually did box once.
Speaker 3: How did you like it?
Speaker 2: So in the summer of twenty twenty one, I went all around, uh the country filming footage for this like documentary series that never what we never ended up actually making. But uh, one of the things was that I boxed somebody in Denver in the Gecko suit.
Speaker 3: How did it feel?
Speaker 2: So? I was so initially with boxing, I was worried about getting hit in the face. That's what I was most scared of. It was like, Oh, I don't want to box this guy to get to get punched in the fucking face. But what really? But and I realized, Oh, the actual part of it that sucks is the stamina, yes, which is and that's and I and I was I was actually blown away because like, you know, i'd be fighting a guy like we we're like, I would be boxing for like, what less than a minute and we're not It's not even like I'm not like doing crazy lizard moves. I'm not running in circles around him. I'm literally just standing in place or maybe like whatever. And and afterwards I'm like, out of breath? Is this I just like sprinted around the track or something. I thought it was crazy? Like, how am I so out of breath after not even moving?
Speaker 3: Crazy?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah? Do I have any lizard moves? You gotta fucking see me in the octagon to find that ship out, I'll.
Speaker 3: Fly out to Philly Post.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm totally bluffing. I do not I don't want to go.
Speaker 3: No, I'm a nice Scott brother.
Speaker 2: Well, what's your name again?
Speaker 3: You can call me Ace?
Speaker 2: Ace. Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 3: People of the computer, I hope you're having a great day. Hug your mom, drink water, try to do a kickflip bang bang bang bang. Thanks Tommy.
Speaker 2: And that was the most Joe Rogan experience the conversation I've had on this podcast. Hello, what is your name, sir?
Speaker 5: My name is Brett.
Speaker 2: What's going on? Brett?
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm kind of in an interesting situation here. So just for some context, I was raised very religious Mormon on my dad's side, and I am not myself. In fact, like growing up through life, I kind of learned that not only am I not religious, I don't subscribe to their beliefs. I've also learned that I'm polyamorous. And it's you know, I'm thirty two years old now, and some people know, my close friends know, my mom's side knows, some siblings know, but I feel like largely the entirety of my dad's side doesn't know. And I'm kind of in this weird spot where like I want to tell them, because you know, part of living this lifestyle is, you know, being your true authentic self, and but at the same time, they just wouldn't get it. And I keep getting, you know, invited to a religious family gatherings and birthdays and whatnot, and it's just so draining to want to decline all of them because I just had nothing in common with any of them. So I don't know what.
Speaker 2: So let's start here. Tell me how the polyamorous lifestyle is. Go under you stoked about it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm him with my fiance right now, we've been poll together. We actually discovered it together about three years ago and going strong.
Speaker 2: Very cool, And so I guess, like, are you afraid that something particularly bad will happen if you tell your dad that you are polyamorous?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't actually know. So, like, you know, the Mormon side, there's a lot of them, right, My dad is one of nine kids, and each of those kids has kids, and some of those kids have kids, and it all kind of stems from the empire that is my Mormon grandparents who have a very who have a very hard time understanding that anybody would not want to be a Mormon. So it's kind of like, if one of them finds out, all of them find out, and then I just, you know, I don't really at the end of the day, I don't really care what each of these people individually think of me. Yeah, but it's kind of it's kind of like, am I ready for my relationship with twenty five people to change all at once?
Speaker 2: Let me this This might be kind of a redundant question, but I think it's important. I mean, put, simply, do you want to tell them?
Speaker 5: I I I would like to live in a world where I'm not harboringing secrets, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just it's free.
Speaker 5: I don't of course, I haven't told them yet because I don't really feel like they deserve or need to know. But at the same time, you know, it's I'll get invited to a family bird birthday and I just I don't want to go. I end up finding some excuse, and then it's the next time. Then I keep getting told.
Speaker 2: By that well look look, look man, so look I mean this, it's not like you're sixteen and you got to harbor a secret or else you'll get kicked out of the house. You know. Yeah, yeah, You're thirty two years old, and at this point I kind of you know, I, I guess you have to ask yourself and you got to think about, deep down if you would feel better having told your dad that you are polyamorous. You know, by the way, I am I mistaken. I thought that Mormons were polyamorous. I thought that was like the whole thing. I was like, because I remember, because like I've done shows in Utah and talk to people and they're like, yeah, my dad has like six wives, and I'm like, oh, because isn't that a Mormon thing? That wouldn't. I would think your parents will be proud of you for that.
Speaker 5: It's kind of it's kind of you know, in the deep rooted Mormon history it was a polygamy, not polyamory. But but also, you know, when you start to look at a lot of the other things in the deep Mormon history, a lot of it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a that's an angle that you could do. You could come out as polyamorous, but like present it as if you're actually super fucking Mormon, you're even more Mormon than them that you have multiple wives.
Speaker 5: In fact, you guys can learn from me and my moreabilities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, look at.
Speaker 2: It exactly, So you could look at it like that, But look ultimately, I mean really, you know again, you know, I really can't tell you what to do in this situation, but you kind of you kind of have the questions that you got to think about, right, Yeah, which are I'm thirty two, I have no way past having room in my life for bullshit or caring about what other people think about me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like I'm there too. It's just you know, it's to me, it's a quantity thing. It's a numbers thing. If it was just my dad, you know who cares. But it's that whole clan over there, you know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I bet out of twenty out of twenty six people, a few of them are also harboring some secret wives.
Speaker 5: I'm sure, Oh, I bet you. You know there's some stuff that I have you know, inklings about, but you know, I can't be sure. But you know, it's largely a religion based on, hey, do this thing that you've been taught since you were a child, don't ask questions, and when it comes time, make as many children as you can to pass that off on to them. And a lot of them just have have eaten that cake. And it's just you know, I try to distance myself from it in every way that I can.
Speaker 2: So well, look, brother, you are technically fulfilling the Mormon duty to have a big family. So I hope you take some bass in that.
Speaker 3: Here you go.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 5: I would just say you you don't have to be what people tell you you are. You know you might be. You might grow up and be told you're one thing and be told you have to believe this and be told you have to do this, but I am here to tell you that you don't.
Speaker 2: Hey, you have a good night, man, Thanks you too. The Mormon thing is funny because my like first exposure to Mormons was South Park and like all the all the you know they have, they got the Book of Mormon and they got all the Mormons like in the show, and South Park like really portrays Mormons as like very nice, wholesome people. So that was what I got my impression of them for most of my life, and then I'm sure this was shattered before that. But I remember I did this show in Utah. It's Salt Lake City is like the Mormon headquarters, and everyone I interviewed at the show just had a story of some horrible, horrible thing from their parents' childhood like this. One guy talked about how his dad made him slaughter a hundred rabbits to prepare for the apocalypse and crazy shit like that. So I guess that illusion has been kind of shattered in a way. But I don't know, maybe this I don't know. One time I was at a Chinese buffet and I saw a guy wearing the Mormon missionary outfit and I looked at him. I was like, hey man, you Mormon. He was like yeah, and he kind of smiled at me. And that was the whole interaction. But he seemed like a nice guy. That's it, that's all I got.
Speaker 1: Everythin goes on the line, taking your phone calls every nine, everything goes to.
Speaker 2: His eye was teachings.
Speaker 3: He's looking like, but he's not really an expert.