Speaker 1: Hey there, folks, want you to know I just made an ass out of myself right before we started recording this podcast, because an absolute legend of TV and comedy. You believe what I asked him. I tried to explain to him how to give us a mic check, and I feel like an absolute moron. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Rose.
Speaker 2: That was I thought it was the other thing you did before when he caught us getting ready to get ready and you turned it on like Daryl Hammond.
Speaker 1: He thought I was faking it. I wasn't faking I'm excited. Who can't be excited to talk to Daryl Hammond? Now, you gotta be kidding. If you go through and ask anybody of a certain age, at least your favorite SNL characters of all time or cast members, you cannot go too far without his name coming up. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: No. And the likeness he could have of your favorite or least favorite politician. He nailed it in a way that most people could not even dream of. And so yes, if you closed your eyes, it was as if you were hearing Bill Clinton. It was as if you were hearing Ted Copple. That was one of my favorite ones was Sean Connery. Oh, Sean Connery and Jeffardy because you know, I'm a huge double O seven fan, and Sean Connery is not.
Speaker 1: There's nothing he does in those movies that make you feel like he's a dweep, that he's a moron, right, He's always in charge, he gets The ladies said, why why did I just go into an impression just then? But he give that was bold, okay.
Speaker 2: And maybe maybe not smart, but we're so excited and I did.
Speaker 1: I made an ass out of myself because I was that excited to have him here. So can you please pick it up from here so I can make a fool O.
Speaker 2: Darryl Hammond is on the podcast today, and yes, you can tell we are very excited. I actually was listening to Cray this morning and was blown away by the full story. I mean, we've you know, I know you have been very vocal about your We always love to make fun of people who call their lives.
Speaker 1: Journeys, but truly you have been on one and we all are on.
Speaker 2: One, and so you've been very vulnerable and very open over the last decade or so talking about getting to where you are today. So my first question is for you, how are you today, Darryl Hammond? How you doing?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm pretty good. I have to work it, be healthy. I have to do cognitive therapy exercises. I go to therapy, I go to twelve Step meetings, do volunteer work. I do lots, and I do a lot of yoga and a lot of meditation. So after all that stuff I'm doing, okay.
Speaker 1: Just okay, all that then, just okay.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, I don't know the days of joy jumps and you know, jumping up in the air and clicking your heels together and shouting eureka, maybe behind it.
Speaker 2: Wait, but you had those days?
Speaker 3: I did? I did? You know? Back when I was in SNL, it was a real up and down thing for me because most of the time I left that show thinking that that I'm going to say fifty percent of the time when I left that show, I thought I had disgraced to myself. You know, someone sent me a picture recently of me a read through with Tracy Morgan, and the memories sort of came flooding back. How dissatisfied it was with what it was I was doing in it. I think because of the degree of difficulty. I mean, you go to see a Vegas tribute app someone doing an impression. It's brilliant and we love them, but they've worked years on it. Now try doing it on Wednesday before Saturday. Never done this before, never done this one before. And you think you're gonna have forty eight hours before Saturday, you're not. You might have five or six because there's a whole bunch of other things you got to do. So taking that out there, there are times where my nerve would get so nerves would get so bad. Will I'd say, why am I doing this? Damn? And I know why I'm doing it because I'm addicted to it. I'm a junkie for the high wire, right or I wasn't you were?
Speaker 1: Would you say? You talk about all the work you've you've done and the therapy and are you at the healthiest you've ever been in your life right now?
Speaker 3: Oddly enough, so it may be so. I mean, last week I was in a two weeks agousin Spokane. There was a club that I wanted to play and I did five one hour sets and I have to say I was pleased. And you tried doing a one hour set. It's not just the physicality of walking around. It's you got to be on point for an out, do you know what I mean? And this as went well, So I worked really hard at it. But I don't know if it's the healthiest I've ever been. There's probably a time when I was, you know, when I was when I was a teenager, I was a pretty strong kid, a good baseball player, but out of my mum. So this is the whole I got the whole package here. Now I can't do as many chut ups as I used to, but you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, physicality is one thing, but mental health mentally mentally, are you are you the strongest you've been? I mean, you put in so much work, You've put so much out there. You've you've you've You've gone from being institutionalized to being on I think at one time thirteen different medications and all on a path to try and find the whys and then figure out the how tos. So where are you on your mental health right now? Would you say you're the healthiest mentally that you've been?
Speaker 3: I think so absolutely. I mean you were talking about for most of my life, certainly the times that I described in the play crame it just wasn't a way to self suit. You know. You would drink and that didn't really do it, you know, and you could smoke weed and that didn't really quite do it. You know, I needed help. I needed a doctor with doctor K in this play, who could come in and break inside my head without injuring me and find out what was going on in there. You know, trauma therapy is kind of in a semptancy, and you know, he could just as easy have killed mhm. You know people that trauma doctors that don't know what to do when they get inside there can really guide that person off off the path. And you know, it said, I don't know what it's like today, but back then, you know it was said, you know, in order to save your life, sometimes have to risk it, you know. And I don't know. I ended up with this guy who's one hundred years ahead of his times. I'm I have stathesia, I color code all my characters, and he used that to break into my head and figure out what was going on in there. He used colors. I mean, talk about a freak shot, right, I mean, that's freaky, you know what I mean? So I people have said this is the King's speech meets one flow of the cucus nests at SNL. Oh, that's pretty close.
Speaker 1: That's close. How many times, Daryl, can you list or maybe have a number. How many times will you misdiagnosed? How many things that they going to doctors and talking to folks that they list all these things they thought were wrong with you. How long of a list was that.
Speaker 3: Well, let's let me get boring here for a second, because in the play we say thirty nine, and that's pretty accurate because each time you go to a treatment center you have three Okay, so three. I had been to six treatment centers or something like that. That's at least eighteen. But the figure we use is thirty nine, and that's just about right. I mean, people who had the faintest idea what was wrong with me, you know, could not figure it out. And here we meet this guy, doctor K who said, you're this way because of something that happened to you. Well, that was the Hall Elijah chorus moment of my life because no one knew what the hell was wrong with me. And I was like young, you know, I had been in SNL for a while. It was in my forties. I've been waiting for that kind of my whole life. Something happened and then you know, of course you got to be a genius like this guy and break into this person's brain and pull out what's in there, you know, And he did that. I don't know how much of the Cray you've listened to, but he did that with a series of dramatic exercise.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, it's remarkable to hear the process and what you went through. I was also surprised to learn. I didn't realize this. You were thirty nine before you first even auditioned for SNL.
Speaker 3: Well, I auditioned in my late twenties and early thirties and was turned down twice, and then I couldn't get another audition until I was thirty nine. Way too old for the show by then. But I had started practicing for SNL when I was twenty seven years old, so that's twelve year period. And I had this whole thing that I would do where I'd try to make one improvement per week, you know, and those sort of things snowball and add up and you become this exponentially better player than you were, you know. I mean I would work on vowel sounds. I would work on centery, you know it, where's the voices at the head, mouthed, chest, stomach. I would work on all of those sounds and practice them. And by the time I was thirty nine, I walked in. It was the perfect time because Phil Hartman had just retired and he was the older SNL cast, right, and he played clip and they need someone to play clip. So based on that they saw me. Marcy Klein saw me at Caroline's and brought me into Laura Michaels based just because she saw me do Clinton at Carolines and it was good enough to bring me in, And her hope was that I had additional impression. I ended up doing probably I don't know. I want to say twenty and three auditions. Well, you know how.
Speaker 1: Much of that for you to hear that you had a you practiced for twelve years for an audition at SNL sounds wild Like people that are familiar with you, we look at you and say, obviously he was he has this talent, but we don't understand the work that put in that you put into it. How much do you think you were just born with something and had a natural ability or talent or how much of it was you worked your ass off and practiced for years to get in certain places.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't dare compare myself to Steph Curry in any way, but here it comes no, no, no, no, I didn't mean that. But what I meant was his prep is stagnant. Other players ain't doing that. That'sure. I mean, you just gotta say. I mean, I don't know what the percentage is. I had some ability. My mother could talk like other people. She talked like the people in the neighborhood. She talked like the coaches and did the teachers at school. And I inherit some of that from her, you know, and then later on, I mean I knew from a pretty early age that's what I liked, do you know. I mean, it's a weird, nerdy thing to do in the Deep South, or the slightest wrinkle of individualism can get you branded. You know.
Speaker 2: That is so interesting because it's so changed now with kids today. I think it's almost flipped, you know, you almost strive to be an individual or to be something different or to not fit in, like that's the cool thing to do now. But yes, we all remember it was quite the opposite coming up. We both went to school down south as well, so we totally get what you're saying. How do you take a talent like that? You said you got addicted to it. It was the reaction that you got from being great at it.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, you know, if you're from the age of like seven until the age of thirty nine, if you're social ail at ease and you can pop out a puorky big impression and now you're non ill at ease, you've got to get hooked though. Yeah. You know, if you know you can use that nothing thing else works, you know you're gonna stick with it a little bit, you know, And you know down there, I just was a kid that just didn't fit in necessarily later on when I played baseball as a teenager, but in the beginning, when I was really young, for instance, when I tried to play football, I remember the coach took me aside one day and said, you know this, He said, there seemed to be some kind of suitable war going on and he and I said, what he said, They're seeing to be some kind of suitable war going on. And I was like, what was that mean, coach? And he looks at me and says something about you just getting right.
Speaker 1: That's what they used to say to us in the sound of the kid was a little different. You just ain't right. Oh he just a little crazy. So I'm wrong with him. And that was it. We're not going to a doctor, We're not getting diagnosed. Somebody right with him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's he's touched. He's touched, he's touched. My father used to say, my name's Max Hammon, was myself Caroyland. He's extra.
Speaker 2: Just warning everyone you get came with the warning label was porky pig. Your first solid impression, would you say?
Speaker 3: I think the first one was Popeye scat singing. You can imagine being a child with nothing to do but pretend everything that's going on around you is not going on around you. And my one way of doing that was the way he would scats sing on the way to olive oil. You know. That was I was seven eight years old, doing a vowel consonant substitute. You know, I'm writing all that down. I wrote every single one of those silks, you know. Yeah, So that was the first one, and then porcupaid was the next one. Of the vowel consonant substitutions AB, you know, we'll be, we'll be, you know. And then it became doing the coach at school, doing some I never really did celebrities back then, but I would do the coach and the teachers and stuff like that. It's easy to get addicted.
Speaker 1: Do you remember your first celebrity one that you kind of nailed and that you got comfortable with and really good at.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, no, I I don't. I never really thought they were. I didn't really think they were.
Speaker 3: That good, you know. And maybe that's because I knew all the nuts and bolts behind it and everything that I had to go through to get it. You know. I did Jesse Jackson at the Apollo Theater, only white person in the theater, and they had said that was such a horrible crowd. If they don't like you, they'll turn on you, and they really will, let you know. And I went out there and I said to myself, I have studied him for five years. I know him. I don't insult him, and I know him and that's my and that's what I'm taking out. And they can see, oh wait, he's not around. This is a serious kid like And also because you know, the thing is really very complimentary. I talked about how powerful he was personally, does he ever have actual conversation? So I just did Jesse Jackson having casual conversation, and that resonates with everyone because it compliments the person before, before the fact, you know, which is one reason h there there. There came a time in history when that approach to giving politicians the benefit of the doubt like that, you know, just didn't work anymore. It just didn't play well anymore. You know. I got my style from Richard Pryor. Richard Pryor would compliment a person beforehand, insaulted it. It's I mean, look, he's a genius, and I knew I'd never be as good as Richard Pryor, but boy, I want ahead in that direction, you see what I mean. That's where I'm trying to I'm trying to get there, you.
Speaker 2: Know, And yeah, it does because think about it, like you were friendly with Bill Clinton. You we're friendly, well, at least Dick Cheney wanted to hear you do, Dick Cheney. So regardless of where you fell politically, they appreciated what you did and how you portrayed them, even if it was for comedic relief, and that speaks volumes to exactly what you just pointed to.
Speaker 1: But is that right there? You're you can make you can make the audience laugh, but you're not making fun of the person you're impersonating. Is that you're doing an impersonation, but you're not necessarily trying to take a dig at all of these folks.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm trying to do. I'm trying to get both sides of the aisle to laugh. So what's the angle? You know, you don't want to get too deeply personal, you know with Shaney, and we don't want to go in certain areas where people are going to take sides. So I just came up with a wise, cracking, tough guy, you know, and with Clinton charming row they were willing to admit to that. Everyone, Yeah, we can play. We can work with that. Both sides of the outcome work with that. And you know with Trump, you know, the the just bullhorned salesman touting his own his own narrative and selling it like it ain't never been sold. But you know, because you know people want to make fun of him all that, but you the guy can.
Speaker 1: Sell, oh god.
Speaker 3: No question. But he's thinking about thinking about I remember, you know, years ago, when I was still doing Trump on S and L, I went to Politicoon and Pasadena, and you know, I said to some people out there, I mean, there were the biggest journalists in the world out there, and I remember saying to that, you know, you should you shouldn't think that because you can get a laugh about Trump's hair every time you go to a cocktail park, that this is a guy to not take serious. I mean, I said, in his office, and trust me, that dude can look through I mean, he can look right in there and see what's going on. Otherwise, you know, how would he know how to take out nineteen seas Republican candidates by finding it, by branding each one of them in a way that just got them a little off balance. Little Marco Rubio, low energy cheb, those things, they were just a little off their game when he would just swoop in and sell that giant version of his narrative and sell it and then it's open injure them, cripple them. They're not getting out their best message. You put out your best message to the debates. That's the way I stuck. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yes, it totally does. What did Trump ever tell you what he thought of your impersonation of him?
Speaker 3: He's tweeted about me twice while while president. All right, so he seems he likes it. Okay, but I mean with me, he seems to like it. But again I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. You know, I'm saying up front. You know, he's figured out that it's more important to make people feel than to make them think. You don't want them thinking too much. Man, They can feel feel something, and what matter? What is this making sense?
Speaker 1: It makes We're laughing because it all makes perfect sense to us because we I think to your point early on, you talking about Trump and we're not trying to get into a political discussion, but you are. You make such a good point about how we view our politicians, meaning we didn't take a lot of people didn't take him seriously the first time around. It was joke, joke, joke, and this is not serious. And next thing you know, oh, he's president. So do you find over the past? I guess since twenty sixteen it would have been how have you seen us or have we changed changed how we view a Donald Trump? Or do you see us just doing the same thing as always, And he's doing the same thing as always, which is able to counter that, and it might propel him back to the White House.
Speaker 3: But he isn't doing the same thing as always. He has very I don't know, in a bizarre way. He has hopscotched his way through the corridors of power and up the wrongs of the ladder of political success to the point where there's dopey God. Has the Supreme Court doing his bidding?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's.
Speaker 3: Giving him immunity already, they're doing Supreme courts doing that stuff him again. Take him seriously, man, I mean, he's on he's he's telling you what he's gonna do, and we.
Speaker 1: For some reason, some people don't want to listen.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't want to be boring about this, but I mean he's a fascinating dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure you like the rest of us. I mean, well, I should ask you, with as much as you've had to study these politicians when you are doing impersonations of them, did you watch the last debate? And I noticed that you've got a show right on the same date, September tenth in la As the next debate between Kamala Harris and Donald Trump. I believe you go on at seven thirty Pacific time, right when the debate ends.
Speaker 1: Do you still watch these debates?
Speaker 3: Do you still.
Speaker 1: Observe it?
Speaker 3: Study? I'm going to watch this one. And yeah, I watched. I watched the Trump Byen debate. But he did the same thing in that bit. He realized because he is a canny, wary, streaked mentality. God, he understood that. All he had to do was I don't know what you're doing. I don't know what you're talking and I don't think you know what you're talking about. That's all I had to saidee and Biden came undone. He didn't want to be seen as piling on and and and he didn't want to be seeing his elder abuse and pilot on the old guy because the man was a pair. And now he was suspended. Yeah, by that one line. So he's done this every time he's ever done a debate. I mean remember when he did told her old company's gonna put her.
Speaker 2: In jail yep, and then became the mantra.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he understood that in her entire lifetime, no one has ever walked up to her and spoke to her like that and just got her a little off her game, and then he settled it. I hope this is this is all nerd talk, so I hope it's not too boring.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm actually I was interested to see if you're gonna, like, I'm imagining you backstage prepping for your show and watching the debate and then will you Are you somebody who can watch the debate between those two and then bring it into the the live audience just moments later?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: Is that even a plan or a thought?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that that happens sometimes, but you know, but what we can be sure of is that during the evening is that there will be Trumps speak well, he would fail or interpretation class in college. He'll be talking. He'll be doing stuff that other people don't do, and talking about stuff that other people don't talk about right in the middle of it, you know, because most politicians are like, uh, well those who yeah, I'm in the Madisonian right right right, yeah, And Trump's like dougs. A lot of people like dogs like dogs. Cats are not nice. Cats are not nice.
Speaker 1: And the next thing, you know, I'm feeling like, wow, I'm thinking about Yes, I'm thinking about the cats and dogs because they make me feel something emotionally.
Speaker 3: And there you go, he's figured it out. And people don't want to admit that he figured out something brilliant. But honestly, if you look back in history, Clinton knew it, Reagan knew it, Winston Churchill knew it. Right, they knew this stuff. All Reagan had to say was mister garbighow up, tear down that tear boom boom. He made us all feel something. He made us feel like we're under threat about the whoop ass and he put that wholesome, that wholesome you know that that wholesome Nancy and I and that that it was. It was brilliant.
Speaker 1: You know, there were two things that we have that how many do you have? How many impressions do you have that you could just I'm okay, I know you'd want to maybe go prepare if you have a little time whatever, but just on the spot, how many impressions do you have at the ready?
Speaker 3: If you gave me material, you know, I might be able to work something out. I mean, sometimes we do this show at the improv. We take requests from the audience, and people try this's me and Jay Moore, and people try to stump us, and yeah, you can come up with quite a few. You're a nerd like me. You've got a cachet. Stuff people ever thought about, you know what I mean? Like, I'm the only person in that room that night you sat around thinking about Richard by trif to say, mister Vaughan, mister Vaughan, what you're dealing with? Your is an eating machine. Right, I'm the only nerd in this room to sit around thinking stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Are you a movie buff as well? I mean you study, you obviously study these characters, but is that something you do.
Speaker 3: I like Turner classic movies a lot, Wow, a lot. I mean some of those I mean, listen, some of the old ones are hopey, but some of those old ones, particularly the silent films, are just damn good. You know.
Speaker 2: The impression is like silent films. What It's just funny someone who who actually is a brilliant savant on sounding like other people watching silent films. I find that fascinating.
Speaker 3: Oh well, yeah, I'm on the weird and wonderful spectrum. We all, I'm a little weird, but I'm a little wonder That's what I used to think about when I lived at the French Court of New Orleans, Like it's weird and wonderful.
Speaker 1: That's about right for the French Court in New Orleans is weird and wonderful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's wonderful in it. That's weird, man, weirdo. You're gonna see some crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: Do people still come up to you on the street or whatever it may be and just say, hey, do Clinton or do Connery? Or do they just come up and do that? And how do you react when people say that? Is that annoying at all? Or you welcome it?
Speaker 3: I always say you do it. Chances are really good they have an impression that they just want to they just want to do it for oh it makes sense. How many cities have I been in this country? Or someone will come up to me and go, I'm not proposal. You know, you don't have to think about it.
Speaker 1: Just no, who is your darl?
Speaker 3: I hate?
Speaker 1: And again, you're not insulting anybody by this, I would say, but I don't want anybody take it that way. But what is your mount rushmore? For SNL, Like what's the cast at SNL, that would be the Mount Rushmore. Again, you're not by leaving somebody off of it, You're not an insult anybody else there. But just who are the all time just can't be touched greats in your mind that have been a part of that SNL cast.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, ask yourself if it's possible to even answer that question right for Mount Rushmore before people, I mean the people I saw over there were freaky man like you think it's someone like Kate McKennon or Maya Rudolph. Let's say, Maya can do impressions, great impressions. She can act, she's a great actress. She can sing, she's a great singer. And she can dance. I mean she can really dance. When you look at that sort of because I'm Broadway, there's all go about triple threats, this is she's the Quinn tuple quintuple threat, you know, and you see that in there. It's it's it would be hard as hell to write down what you're even looking at. Sometimes. You know, there are times when I would be out there with Molly Shannon when she would get hot. You know, there was the scene we did where she played the fifty year old stripper, and I was Sony soprano. We were at a lot of ban and and how once she got her mark, she got remarks where she was gonna be and what the camera's urn managed to be funny during dress. But once she had all that down, she could really let it all out of the gate. And sometimes you sit in there watching.
Speaker 2: Damn, damn.
Speaker 3: You know when they did that sketch cow bell. I remember I was standing watching, you know the SNL that makes a peculiar sound when everyone laughs at the same time. You know it's two hundred and seventy five, three hundred seats, it sounds like three hundreds break. I remember watching that sometimes, like with Molly Shannon, just looking up there seeing the Heads movie. I mean, that's magic. To me, it sounds like magic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, I mean SNL has always been such a big part of even my family, like we would just watch it from this I remember Land Shark with Chevy Chase and all of that. But and I've been able to actually go and watch a dress rehearsal or two, and it is magic and the level of talent is mind blowing. But I have to admit one of my favorite things to watch is when you all break character, when you all are laughing so hard, either at each other or at yourselves, that you can't help but join in on it.
Speaker 1: Did that ever happen to you? I don't remember you doing it that often, But did that ever happen to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Amy Koehler with could make me laugh if I was sitting next door, if she really wanted to bear down, you know, when we did Regis and Kelly, you know, and she's sitting right there next to me. She's gonna do something on air that she didn't do in terest and it's gonna be brilliant. It's gonna take me by surprise, and I would laugh. It happened a few times. And that's the kind of thing where I mean, I never got any flag or anything like that. They say that Lauren didn't like you never said anything about them, because I mean, the audience loved seeing Amy. I'm proud man, right. They love seeing it, love seeing her do that.
Speaker 1: Those moments are cool every once in a while to see that you all are cracking each other up. But it's good to hear that. You know, they don't get flag for it. It happens every once in a while. It's not that bad. We were talking we started here talking about we were talking about mental health, and I think a lot of I mean, you could tell is better than anybody else. But so many folks, entertainers in particular comedians have a story, have a backstory, have a story. Something comes from pain, a mental health health experience or mental mental illness, mental health difficulty. Do you do comedians end up being comedians because of some trauma or because of something which comes first? Is this got like the chicken or the egg thing? Do you become these brilliant comedians because of what you Oh, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well, if that were true, every trauma patient would be.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to go that far. But what I'm saying are the comedians often time? I guess, I guess. Neil Brennan, are you probably familiar with it? We listened to his stand up not too long ago. He went through this whole list like this is why, like the does the comedy create in some way the trauma or the the the issues that so many the mental health issues that so many comedians talk about them having.
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 3: What is it is?
Speaker 1: Because you're you went through something early on and then you go into comedy or the comedy. Now you want to be a comedian and to do that and to be great, you suffer in other ways. You get what I'm saying, like, which which is you know, in.
Speaker 3: Order for something good to have something bad as to happen, that sort of thing. I don't. I don't have the answer. I wish I did. It's all. It's all when you really think about making a group of people you've never met before, You've never met them, but in just a few seconds you're going to make them laugh as hard as they can. And if you think that not a rush, then you're not like me. I feel like that's a rush. And I don't know. I will be doing the improv of the night of the debated Sexual Lessenal reunion show that night, and no, I'll check it out on the bar man. I'll go up there and see if anything happened. I mean, I don't know. That's a you know what, I think, you're in the land of I don't know. Just about any day of the week at Saturday Night Live m you're in the land I don't know. We don't know where this train is going. We don't know what's going to be coming down the track on Friday? You know what I mean. I mean the first time I was sitting on I'm sitting on them. It's like a cabinet there. For some reason, I was sitting in the hallway because I knew that if I if I sat around on Friday night right there in the hub, you know, right before you walk in the door at Saturday night, left just sat there, that lots of riders got to walk by, and they and that might trigger a thought, M like I wonder if he can do can you do Heraldo?
Speaker 4: Can you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know? Oh, granted that they gave me much time to learn holdo, but I got gigs that way, you know, I got I got parts though, just sitting give me some tapes.
Speaker 2: I can stay up all night, well, sitting in the right hallway at the right time, just.
Speaker 3: Waiting for folks to come by. Hey everyone, how's that? How's that lobster sketch coming good?
Speaker 1: That lobster sketch?
Speaker 3: Dear.
Speaker 2: I know people often say when we ask musicians, like what's your favorite song? O White, It's like choosing your favorite child, YadA, YadA, YadA. But did you have an impression that you enjoyed more than the others.
Speaker 3: No, I don't. I don't really think so. I don't know. I think it varies from time to time. But you know, by the end, we did Clinton like so many different ways. He was almost like we could do drawing, comedy, we could do slapstick, we could do oscar while, we could do Shakespeare, we could do you know, a road house, how old repute. I mean, he was such a multi fan to the human being and be able to play him that many times. You know, you got to say that was the one that did you know where I felt pretty good when I was out there most of the time. I think the thing that I wanted to say that is that the play is that pray is about mental health. Uh, mental illness is not an airborne virus. That's what I want to impart. That's my That's all I got, and that's what this doctor k and the play sets. You know, minel Els is not an airborne buvirus. Virus as a story, and it has a beginning for me that worked. I ain't saying that works for it. I'm just telling my story, you know what I'm saying. I don't want to be out there acting like I'm a doctor. So I'm just telling my story and what worked in my world.
Speaker 2: And it came after a lot of discovery and a lot of doctors, and a lot of false diagnoses and a lot of drugs, and and I think.
Speaker 3: Listen, listen, he can't. He practically brought my my psychicad filing on the front low. Yeah. I mean there were boxes and boxes and boxes, and he had a synopsis in front of him, you know, and he's he's saying, let me see your schizophrenic. You are psychotic, you are borderline personality you you know, polar you, bipolar you, we roll over the pope. Let's face it, use on a knut.
Speaker 1: And how much was he getting an hour per hour for that?
Speaker 3: Well, the guy had a way of disarming me. I don't know he got he's got that ability.
Speaker 2: And so I was like, yeah, probably, Yeah, Well I think it's it's a very digestible way to talk about something really really hard that so many people deal with and don't know how to deal with it as a whole. So to give people at least the idea or the option to think about it in a holistic way where you're saying it comes from a source, and discovering that source is going to help you, you know, figure out how to treat yourself and acknowledge the pain and then hopefully one day live with it and then and then makes with it. And that's Listen.
Speaker 3: Even if you're if a person says I have a chemical imbalance, are what Even if if it's a beta blocker that's needed. I mean, even if it's just that it's there's always an ant se mhm. It comes from somewhere. Find out where it comes from.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: There used to be a behavior's named John Bradshaw who used to say, if you can name it, you can tame you know, believe me, it's a lot harder than that.
Speaker 2: Yes, but to do it, you know, laughter is the best medicine, they say, So to do it with humor, but to impart actual wisdom to the audience is a beautiful thing to do. And so we applaud you and thank you for doing that and finding a way to mirror. Entertaining folks and educating folks at the same time is not an easy thing to do, and you've done it, Darryl Hammond, So thank you for it, and we will be I will be for sure listening to when we can when it can be made available your September tenth edition of your show, because I have a feeling it will be both of those things, entertaining and educating.
Speaker 1: But you have show, and folks can keep finding cray right now, yep, as well in audible.
Speaker 3: That's where they find cray on audible.
Speaker 1: That's where I found That's where I found it. This morning.
Speaker 3: I wondered they recorded it off Broadway of five times in January, and brother, that was hard. I don't know if you've ever had something that you were you were doing the work and you're like, this is too hard.
Speaker 1: Have you ever currently we're in the middle of it right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like this, damn, this is too hard, man, I can't. Okay, that's what we're hearsing with a Broadway director's life. He's as hard as a football coach, harder and just me, and it's just you and it's our it's seven hours and you just go back over it, like and this man, say the word very nice again again, that word again.
Speaker 2: It's stregering.
Speaker 3: I used to go home, man, I I used to like limp home. I'd limp home and get under the covers at the hotel and order. I'm service man that cat.
Speaker 1: He Well, we look forward to having you back on the podcast again at some point down the road. Really, we can't tell you. Look, man, we have followed and a lot of people love that show, but you are someone for us, at least of a certain age and who followed that show for a long time that this is a pinch yourself moment. This is something we're giddy about to be able to talk to you. We're sorry we're able to be in studio with you today, but it is.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: We can't tell you. You have just been a joy to us and you're one of those people. I cannot believe we're getting to talk to Darryl Hammond. So I mean that sincerely, both of us do.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: It is an absolute pleasure, brother.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I don't know how I can respond in kind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to only heard of you guys this morning. Just don't google us whatever you do.
Speaker 3: I was very nervous. I was like, I hope we do. Okay, these are some stalwart people.
Speaker 2: You were fantastic and we appreciate it. And I know so many people appreciate your message and we will be following your continued amazing career.
Speaker 1: So thank you, Daryl, Bless your.
Speaker 3: Heart, have a beautiful day, and I look forward to doing this second time.
Speaker 1: We will, brother, Thank you so much. Everybody that's Darryl having the court. You can catch Gray on Audible as we just mentioned. You can continue to follow us you know we are our show page at Amy and TJ Podcast on Instagram. Talk to us soon.