Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: The NBA Finals are here. This is your last chance to bet on the NBA until next season, and DraftKings Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA is pulling out all the stops to make this a finals. To remember, one team will be crown champ and the other will be lost to history. Who you got winning at all? Put your hoops expertise to the test. All season long, DraftKings has been the go to spot for NBA player props and that doesn't stop now. Who's going to carry their team to the chip? Try placing a bet on your personal MVP to drop thirty, forty or maybe even over fifty. Ready to place your own bet, download the DraftKings sports Book app, lock in your bets and finish the season as a winner. Here's something special for first timers. New DraftKings customers. Bet five dollars to get three hundred dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins. Don't miss your last chance to bet on the NBA this season. Download the DraftKings sports Book app and use code hoops that's hoop. That's code hoops for new customers to get three hundred dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins. When you bet five bucks only on DraftKings, the crown is yours. Gambling problem called one hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and why, or text hope and why to four six seven three sixty nine and Connecticut help is available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or.
Speaker 3: Visit CCPG dot org.
Speaker 2: Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas twenty one plus. Age and eligibility varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario. Bet must win to receive reward minimum minus five hundred odds required. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see DKG dot co slash audio. All right, welcome to HOOPSNI. You're at the volume havy Thursday. Everybody, hope Aul, if you guys are having to get a great week.
Speaker 3: As I said after Game one of the Eastern Conference Finals, there's.
Speaker 2: Some sort of weird voodoo magic going on that makes it so that you have to beat the Indiana Pacers for like five times in a seven game series, and once again in classic fashion, down against the Ropes several different times down the stretch, several different runs from the Thunder to build more additional margin, and then impossible shot after impossible shot from the Pacers down the stretch. Aaron Nismith coming flying out of that left corner, rising and firing like it's Game one against the Knicks all over again. Andrew Nemhard with the seventeen dribble step back against Shay Gilgas, Alexander with a hand right in his face to hit the three. And then Tyrese Halliburden with clock winding down against Kison Walla is a quick little stop and pop jumper a little bit outside of the right elbow, and the Pacers are up one zero in the NBA Finals and very much in position to give themselves a chance to win this series. Just absolutely unbelievable stuff. All my notes, Crumple them up, throw them in the trash. As far as the narrative of this game goes, We're going to get into as much of the basketball as we can and talk about the different dynamics at play in the series and try to interpret as much of this as we can into what's repeatable and what is not. But I am in complete shock, as I can imagine just about anybody outside of the Pacers fans who have been believing in this team all season long. I'm in shock, and I barely know where to start with this thing. I will say before we get started, I cannot say enough how much this Pacers team has just injected an enormous amount of entertainment into this NBA Playoffs. The NBA Playoffs is just a lot of blowouts over the years in recent years, kind of lacking some of that high level entertainment in the later rounds. And this Pacers team and their unwillingness to give up, and the way that they play and the way that they put themselves in position two steel games, with their incredible attention to detail and sharpness and relentless motor and effort, have just literally injected the enthusiasm and honestly just what I think is a very beautiful brand of basketball for all of us to watch and enjoy, for young basketball players to learn from to improve their own games, for basketball teams and basketball coaches to improve.
Speaker 3: The way they play.
Speaker 2: I can't say enough about what the Pacers have done in this playoff run for my view of the game, I think for everybody's learning of the game, and obviously just making for a very entertaining basketball product. You guys are the drill before we get started. Subscribe to the Hoops to Night YouTube channels. You don't miss any more of our videos. Follow me on Twitter at Underscore JCENLTC. Don't miss show announcements. Don't forget about a podcast for you wherever you get you podcast owner Hoops Tonight. It's also super helpful if you leave a rating and a review on that front. Jackson's doing great work on our social media feeds on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok. Make sure you guys follow us there for additional content throughout the season. We are not doing a mail bag at the tail end of tonight's show because we're hitting an all star topic surrounding the new move from Adam Silver to try to pit Team USA versus the world. We're gonna have that, but we will when we wrap up here tonight be heading over to Playback that's Playback dot tv slash Hoops Tonight. We will be doing a chat mail bag there. We'll also be taking callers. We'll obviously watch the film from that insane fourth quarter and go over how the Pacers stole this game. I'm looking forward to watching through that with you guys. So when we wrap up here on YouTube, remember to follow us over to playback dot tv slash Hoops tonight. All right, let's talk some basketball. So this game really was a story of two in a lot of ways. I talked about how in the series preview that there is like an opening test with Oklahoma City these fail points, if you guys remember, I talked about these potential failure points for Indiana in the series where if they just struggled to get the ball to where it needed to be, that they were dead on arrival. And those we talked about specifics. We talked about ball pressure in the back court. We talked about off ball denials. We talked about high post entries and low post entries. We talked about double teams and posts and ISOs and drives. We talked about like when they get the ball into the middle of the floor, whether it's through a drive or a roll or a post, the ability for them to pass out of the traffic in those spots on the floor. And they failed that test. Miserably in the first half, Like as bad as you will ever see, especially relative to the way that this Indiana Pacers team typically takes care of the basketball. Turnovers bringing the ball up the floor, dudes getting poked away from behind as they're not paying attention to what's happening behind them, turnovers on post entries, turnovers on pocket passes as they're missing guys tagging from the weak side.
Speaker 3: Everything.
Speaker 2: The big one that they were dealing with in that first half was posting ISOs when guys turned their back, just like as soon as someone turned their back, the dude is just swooping in from behind and swiping the ball away in.
Speaker 3: The half court.
Speaker 2: Nineteen turnovers in the first half a truly remarkable performance defensively from the Thunder. Honestly, I thought it was a showcase of everything that makes them so great. Again, Like, for those of you haven't very Thunder fans, maybe if you haven't watched as much Pacers, Like, that's a team that doesn't turn the ball over a lot. That's a team that typically handles that sort of aggression and pressure extremely well, and they didn't in that first half. And it's because of the job that lou Dort can do on Tyrese Haliburton to make him uncomfortable. It's because of the job that those guys do, swarming and swiping at the basketball, lou Dort, his activity on the back line. Even in this game, Caruso on the back line, everyone flying around and making plays, even Shay getting in on the turnover forcing. Now, to Indiana's credit, their transition defense in that catastrophe in the first half kept them in the game. We've talked so much over the course of the last few weeks about low hanging fruit. These are things that are available in every single basketball game to every single team. Now, you need a certain amount of elite shot making to make it to your ultimate goal in the NBA. Like, that's the fourth time in this playoff run that Tyres Haliburton has hit a tough shot in a one on one situation to either win a game or to put his team in position to win a game in the final of seconds of the as the clock is expiring. Obviously, the Aaron Nesmith shot, the Andrew Nemhard shot, there were a lot of really tough shots that were mixed in there, and obviously you're not just gonna win a game because you're a sharp, disciplined basketball team, you've got to have a certain amount of individual greatness to carry you over the top, especially when you're staring down shake Gil just Alexander on the other end, who, outside of his last couple possessions, I thought, had a really good game. And at a certain point, in order to put yourself in position to weather that storm, to live through some turnovers, to live through some sloppiness, you got to be super sharp in other areas of the game. And they consistently got back, protected the rim and stopped the ball, got contests on three point shooters, and so despite allowing or despite turning the ball over nineteen times in the first half, they allowed just nine points off of those turnovers. And then, as we say, when you're going to apply that type of pressure, if you're going to deny, if you're going to double, if you're going to tag rollers and offer a ton of nail help and double team post ups and do all of that stuff, the flip side is guys are open, and if you can get the ball through the defense to those guys they're still open. They are a good closeout team. They're gonna make it more difficult than it appears on the surface compared to some other opponents out there. But you can't act. They don't actually have six players on the court. They just feel like that sometimes if you can take care of the basketball and you can pass it through their defense, you can get open shots against Oklahoma City's base scheme. And in the second half just six turnovers total, three in the third quarter, three in the fourth quarter, and just two points off of turnovers as a result. Mixed in obviously with the tough shot making that, we saw a lot of pretty solid either like wide open catch and shoot threes for guys like Obie Toppin or you know, moderately contested catch and shoot threes that are good looks for guys like Aaron Nesmith, and a lot of pretty high quality attempts right around the rim.
Speaker 3: And they scored.
Speaker 2: Sixty six points in the second half and all night long, their defense held up pretty well.
Speaker 3: Wasn't perfect.
Speaker 2: They ran a lot of traditional coverages, and at various points against the traditional coverages, they struggled. Shake gel just Alexander, to his credit, a lot of stars in NBA history struggle in the NBA Finals. They get a little passive or they at tentative or they you know, kind of get just they just look kind of shook from the moment. I mean, you saw it happen to several paces. You saw it to happen to damn near the entire Pacers bench to start this game. Although shout out to Obi Top and he had about as nightmare start to this game as you could possibly have, fumbling the ball and throwing it around all over the place. But he hit a couple threes and he loosened up and he was awesome from that point forward and hit so many big shots for the Pacers in this game.
Speaker 3: But once.
Speaker 2: At the start of the game, Shake Gildess Alexander came out and he was like, screw being passive, screw easing my way into this game. I'm shooting the basketball. And he had eleven shot attempts in the first quarter. I think he had like nineteen or twenty in the first half. And he essentially accelerated the process with which he became comfortable, which actually thought was smart, especially as a scoring guard. Like if you're a scoring guard, and again, the formula for this team is elite defense and shay shot making on a lot of nights, especially when things bogged down the way they did, and he just got himself into a pretty good rhythm. I thought he passed out of an ISO to JB late that he probably didn't need to. It kind of looked like he was just hesitant to go ISO again and then overcooked his last little pull up jump shot long off the back end of the rim. But overall through the game, I mean like tough shot making. Give Shaye get a decent look, and you know you have Andrew Nemhard hit a crazy seventeen dribble step back three right in his face, Like there's a certain amount of variance that goes into that sort of thing. And I thought Shaye played a pretty damn good game under the circumstances with the game, With the way that the game went, the Pacers came out in a high drop coverage with Turner. I've talked about this before, the high drop coverage with Indiana with respect that Shae has nothing to do with taking away the pull up jump shot off off of the three point line if he comes off the screen clean. It's all about trying to stop Shaye from turning the corner with the runway and shake cooked that coverage right off the bat and was getting right around Turner and drawn fowls and getting all the way to the rim. That's why we saw so many Shaye layups in the first part of the game. Then the Pacers adjusted and they went from that high drop to more of a low drop where Turner was meeting him far back, and that was when Shaye really started to get going with his mid range shot making.
Speaker 3: And that was kind of how all of that.
Speaker 2: Initial work early in the game that he did to get his feel and to get his aggression really started to pay off. And like out, like Shay was awesome in this game, lou Dort was awesome in this game.
Speaker 3: Lou Dirt. It's so funny.
Speaker 2: He shot so poorly overall in this postseason run, but against the Pacers in the regular season he killed them. And he went right back to killing them tonight. Hit five threes and a lot of those like kind of semi tough contested threes that you need to knock down in the postseason. But outside of Shaye and lou Dort, they generally did a pretty good job. I think there are some things they need to clean up. We saw a lot of we saw a lot of the attacking of Tyrese Haliburton and Obi Toppin and a little bit of Siakam too and in guard guard screens out above the break and Shae had some success like quickly attacking those guys when they were hedging and splitting action and drawing fouls, and he did a lot of damage up there. But for the most part in the aggregate, they prevented the explosive Oklahoma City quarter. How did they prevent the explosive Oklahoma City corner quarter by keeping them out of transition again, Guys, this is a team that in this postseason run is averaging like twenty three to twenty something crazy in points off of turnovers and pulling it up real quick right now. They are carrying their offense for extended stretches in this postseason literally by just forcing turnovers and getting out in transition. Twenty three point eight is their postseason average in points off of turnovers held them to just eleven tonight. Oklahoma City's offense is capable of being very good, but they don't have the depth of elite shot making off the ball and just overall offensive feel to be a super explosive slow down offense. If you can keep them out of transition by preventing those easy transition points by getting back, stopping the ball getting to the rim, forcing them to knock down jump shots, you can keep them from having the explosive quarter. And that's what Indiana did. Indiana had a thirty five point quarter. Oklahoma City didn't have a thirty point quarter in this game. Let's get to some of the other little adjustments that I saw. Oklahoma City they give up a lot of open threes with their swarming defense, and it is a trade off. Like again, in the first half, they forced a bunch of turnovers and it generally paid off. Right didn't get out and transition as much as they could have, but overall they had a good half. In the second half, Indiana was able to successfully get the ball out and they knocked down shots. They could try to loosen that up a little bit, essentially, just being a little bit more picky. I liked when they dove at the basketball, when some of the lesser ball handlers turned their head. If Siakam turns his head away from you go for it. Pobie Topping turns his head away from you, go for it. If Miles turner turns his head away from you, go for it. But if he's looking at you, or if it's anybody that can handle the ball pretty well, be a little bit more hesitant to help because this is a Pacers team that will get the ball out. Almost half of their shot attempts tonight were pretty clean. There were three point shots and they got a lot of pretty clean looks as part of that process. Oklahoma City also, I thought, did a decent amount of damage on the offensive glass in the first half. Indiana flipped that dynamic of the second half. You got started to see some of their size on the interior do some more damage. That's an area where Oklahoma City can do better. We saw them do better in the first half of this particular game. Just looking through my notes really quick here, but bear with me. It was an absolute disaster of a planning night for the show with me putting together the show based on Oklahoma City controlling the I think it was their first lead on the tyrese Alivert shot that he made. It just an absolutely unbelievable game. Overall, Indiana did have success attacking smalls. You saw some of the specific differences, like it when they're doing that three quarter front. We saw Rick Carlisle talking about some of those like tight window bounce passes aren't there. It's almost better for them to push the post a little bit further out and then look to attack with an aggressive move like spinning off of that guy or something along those lines. We also did see a good amount of that damage being done on the offensive glass. It's an alternative you had to switch instead of trying to cram in some crazy entry pass. Put something up from the perimeter, a decent you know, swing the ball around, run a quick ghot screen, do something to get you a decent perimeter jump shot look, and if you shoot it high and soft enough, you're gonna give your big guy a pretty good chance to win that battle on the flip side. I think that's something that we saw in that second half. Unbelievable stuff.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: I think Indiana could. I think Indiana could lighten up a little bit on some of their traditional coverages. We saw a lot of them giving up pretty easy stuff like the ball screen coverages with Turner weren't working against Shaye, and either the high drop or the low dropped Thomas Bryant gave up an easy layup to Isaiah Hartenstein on a play where he was opening up his stance for Siakam to cut through because it should have been a switch. It wasn't, so then Hardenstein which just went right to the basket for a layup. We saw Mark Dagnaud after a timeout after Obi Toping hit a three to cut the lead to eight. They just had Shay set a backscreen for kese On Wallace on tyrese. Haliburton Pacers didn't want to switch it them hard was hugged up to Shae easy layup for kease On Wallace cutting along that backside. Even in that second half down the stretch, we saw them get a lot of good looks out of those hedges, right. I thought they looked a little bit better when they were just super aggressive on those switches, those hedges like actually like almost like a just attacking him and forcing him to get rid of the basketball. At least in those late game situations where they're packing the pain, they were able to force some catch and shoot jumpers from some of their lesser shooters down the stretch by doing that, I just think they need to get away from passive traditional coverages. These big guys can't contain the ball well enough. Thomas Bryant can't, Miles Turner can't. They're giving up a little bit too much. Drible penetration there. I've liked it against Jalen Williams. We saw Miles Turner against Jalen Williams and the drop coverage be able to get some stops in at the rim and in the short range. But specifically with Shay, I would either be super aggressive or I would just switch and force him to ISO and then be aggressive in your help pinching down off of him because again, in those traditional coverages that were given up too many of those openings.
Speaker 1: Blending Vice's signature dynamic storytelling with the high octane world of sports, Vice Sports brings an exciting and diverse range of programming that goes beyond the game. From action pack live events to gripping behind the scenes documentaries to hard hitting investigative pieces and in depth profiles of athletes, coaches, teams. Vice Sports captures the raw energy, drama and passion that makes sports truly unforgettable. Catch live events and other exclusive sports programs only on Vice TV. Go to vicetv dot com to find your cable channel.
Speaker 2: Man I know that was all over the place, but it was that kind of game. I'm gonna have Jackson Kamania. We're gonna talk a little bit more about the game, and then we will get into some of that All Star topic before we head over to playback.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Let's do it first. I think I'm gonna throw at you. And we got a super chat question from Cole. Are people undervaluing Rick Carlyle's coaching experience compared to Mark Dagnault's.
Speaker 3: So I didn't. This is tricky.
Speaker 2: I think the credit that goes to Carlile has more to do with foundational stuff, Like I didn't think it was. I didn't think Rick Carlisle went out there and just coached this like super magnificent Exit is a O's game that diced up the thunder. I didn't think that was what happened here. I think that I think that the credit goes to Rick Carlile in the work that he's done.
Speaker 3: Like, guys, the.
Speaker 2: Team's basketball character flows from the top down. It's what kind of guys? What kind of dudes is your front office going after? Is he just strictly going after talent or is he going after guys that fit the culture of what you're trying to build.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Obviously, there's a certain skill set you need as well, but there's a certain like are you are you getting competitive ass kickers that like to play hard and that want to be the best basketball player that they could possibly be, down to the head coach, down to the star of your team, down to the co star of your team, down to the types of dudes that you have in that locker room. But Rick Carlile, from day one of this season and dating back multiple years, has just instilled in these guys this level of intensity, this level of relentlessness, attention to detail.
Speaker 3: You know how crazy it is.
Speaker 2: Off of nineteen turnovers only give up nine points in transition to the Oklahoma City Thunder. You know how sharp you have to be, You know how dedicated you have to be. Watching that juxtaposed with what we saw from the Knicks in Game six of the Eastern Conference Finals, it was absolutely amazing. But like I didn't think again, as far as Dagnall goes like, we did see a little bit of that, like bogging down ISO offense at the top of the key, but I didn't think they got bad looks. They got some clean catch and shoot looks. Again, I thought Shay shouldn't have passed the ball to jadaub on the second to last ISO. You're asking a twenty three year old to bail you out there. You're the dude, go go, go, get a bucket and then he overcooked a jumper that if he makes it, they win, right, So, like, I don't want to overreact. I want to just give credit to Carlisle for the basketball character that he's instilled in this team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, And normally I don't care about stuff like Shamstronia reporting before the game.
Speaker 3: Here's how here's my take on it.
Speaker 4: But he did have a stand up about team building and about how this might be a sign for teams with considering both of the teams going after some of these ultra competitive, multiple college year guys as opposed to just hunting for a star every time in the draft, and that type of thing really feels relevant when you're seeing guys like Andrew dem Hard be so successful in the playoffs. You're seeing guys like Lou Dort who not even he wasn't even drafted, but like guys who are just have this highly super high motor super highly competitive are being are a lot more valuable for teams like this, especially for teams with championship aspirations, than taking your dart throw at the hopeful star pick.
Speaker 2: You know, we talk about this all the time, like playing winning basketball sucks. It's hard, man Like, it's hard in the normal context of like you guys going to play pickup, like when we go play pickup. Obviously, if you want to win more pickup games, you gotta do all the shit that's hard, right. You gotta run back and transition defense, you gotta palk through screens, you gotta put your body on the line for rebound, you got to run the floor on offense, got to do all those sorts of things. Now add the additional layer of advanced NBA schematics and all the different game plan stuff you got to remember, and all the specific stuff within different coverages that they go to utilize, and it's just extremely difficult. It's extremely difficult. And so you need a certain type of personality, a certain type of guy in that locker room that's willing to put in the work, and it's a little bit harder to find than you think. Again, there's I think that there is a competitive nature trait that is vastly underrated in the NBA. And it's just like, how much do your dudes hate to lose? Because if they really hate to lose, then they will listen to their coach when their coach is presenting to them a plan with which to avoid that loss. And I just think, man, I know you heard me at the top of the show. I just can't say enough about this Pacers team and how special they are just to the game of basketball for the example that they represent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they I can't remember a team ever playing like this ever, Like it's it's amazing how relentless they are on both ends. They're like the seven second Sons offensively, but they're kind of dynamic defensively at this point. They like for when Pascal got healthy. At that point in the regular season, they had the second best record in the NBA, and their defense has been quite good since then. It's hard to I can't think of teams that were this sort of dynamic and speed oriented offensively that were able to translate that to the defensive end.
Speaker 2: Also, their relentlessness in rotation, like even like concession shots like oh okay, see bang bang bang broke you down got a wide open three, they're still throwing a close out. It's just like a token close out. Like, let's not let this dude get super comfortable. Let's make him realize he's got to shoot it right now. Like there's just it's so crazy, man. And then like, honestly too, I want to hand it to Halliburton too. Like Haliburton was having one of those games too, where he was getting a couple of looks here and there. Occasionally you do that classic thing where he drags out the ball screen and then pump fakes and the dude just goes flying by. But like he wasn't exactly getting super high quality looks, but he just stayed invested and then made a couple plays late when he needed to. It's this team, man, and there's the tough shot making voodoo is legitimately crazy because it's crazy. It's like they are at the end of these games. Andrew Nemhard hit like legitimately a Kyrie Irving dribble combination.
Speaker 4: Well, he was dribbling in the air out of the basketball three consecutive possessions. Yeah, and then he hits the one of the most insane threes you could possibly hit in that moment. Oh my god, he's missed three before that rattles in just a laser that rattles in, and Haliburton having the to your point, having the confidence in the balls to take that last shot after not having a particularly effective scoring game.
Speaker 3: It's one thing to have to.
Speaker 4: Take that shot if you're a score first player, even if you're having a bad game or if you're having a great game. He is a pass first player who was not having a good scoring and said, no problem, give me the give me the fucking ball.
Speaker 2: He got like, and he shot that with conviction too, Like he stopped and popped, and he put all his legs into it, and he shot it high and he shot it soft and it rattled in. Is unbelievable stuff. Before we go over to the all star stuff, you texted me about.
Speaker 3: Halfway through the third quarter, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna I'm gonna read your exact text, okay, And then what I want you to do is just kind of explain if you still feel this way overall. Okay, Yes, he said, I feel like the Pacers are really in this series. Surprisingly, this dort shooting performance is giving me Celtics Game one and twenty twenty two vibes dirt going off and the Pacers can't stop turning the ball over and there's still only down ten. I don't know, it feels like they're in it to me.
Speaker 3: So do you do you? Like you straight up think the Pacers can win the series. I don't.
Speaker 4: Well, I still really wasn't kind of wasn't expecting them to win this game. I was saying that more of like, oh, they're in the series, not even they're gonna win tonight.
Speaker 3: I was like, Oh, they're more especially for game one.
Speaker 4: I kind of thought Game one might be a blow out the other way or like in okay, so he might win by a lot. Yeah, And it looked like that for a little while. It was teetering on the edge of a potential blowout. And I don't know, I think I am still discounting the devil magic of the Pacers when I also texted you when Miles Turner missed that wide open three and Halle missed a step back three, and either of those threes I think would have tied the game at that point or maybe cut it to one possession with like three four minutes laught something like that, and I was like, oh, that was our moment.
Speaker 3: That was it felt like their moment. It's like, dang, they were making the comeback.
Speaker 4: Had two very good looks to really get over that sort of mental hurdle of tying the game or maybe even taking the lead by one, and they missed them both, and I was like, ah, there it is gone to game two. Here am I the dumb one? I haven't been been. I've also been discounting the Pacers this whole time. It's unbelievable how they keep doing this. I do feel like I mean, obviously they won Game one on the road.
Speaker 3: They're in the series.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I would expect, you know, a twenty point thunder win game two.
Speaker 2: But how can we say that they have a chance to win this sea I'm gonna put it like this simple. I think it was Zach Low that said, like, h like, anybody who's picking anything other than Oklahoma City in five or six is expecting something really weird to happen. For the record, I agree with that. So I'm not about here. I'm not here saying Zach is wrong. Here's what I'm thinking right this second, though, What do you mean something something weird is gonna happen. This entire postseason for the Pacers has been weird, Like everything about.
Speaker 3: It is weird.
Speaker 4: Like it's just what you got the weird game this you just did it wed thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. It's like it's like here you go. It's it just got weird. It just got weird. It just got weird. Yeah, like I thought it was for me.
Speaker 2: It was the Turner three when Turner had that wide open pick and pop three late that he missed and uh, he had hit two in a row before that, but like he earlier in the second half, but he missed that pick and pop three and along off the back of the rim, and they didn't get the offensive rebound, and I was like, up there it goes and they but they just kept going. They just they The never stop thing is crazy. Highly underrated play in that sequence was the Pascal Siakam offensive remount put.
Speaker 4: Back off of unbelievable play.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable play.
Speaker 2: They did a lot of damage on the offensive glass along the baseline from their bigs down the stretch of this game. I did think that was fascinating. Okay, see really controlled things in that department early and then and then the dynamic flip. Any other thoughts on the game before we move over.
Speaker 4: I don't even know it's process. No, I mean, it's just it's just unbelievable. I'm just so excited for this series now. I was excited for the series before, but now it feels like we're in for a real treat.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I was a little worried about the excitement level across the board if there was an okay.
Speaker 3: See blowout, and now it feels like we're all locked in. Yeah, the series.
Speaker 2: I thought the game was immediately fun to watch, and I wasn't worried about guys like us or the people that watch this show particularly like enjoying enjoying watching the series, but I was in I was concerned about whether or not it could be competitive enough to be interesting to the masses and the pacers once again. Like that, That's what I meant off the top, Like the job they've done, like straight up injecting casual joy and intensity and beauty into this playoff.
Speaker 3: Run is just crazy. Man.
Speaker 2: But the pace we're gonna head over to play back in about ten minutes, I wanted to really quickly. Jackson and I were going to have a quick little debate about this team USA versus Team World. Adam Silver audible here. So Adam Silver says that they're going to structure the All Star Game as USA versus the World next year. This has been the latest and a long line of attempts for Adam Silver to try to make these guys compete. It's literally all he's trying to do, get them, give them a reason to compete, and they've been unsuccessful to this point. I'm skeptical as to whether or not this will work. I am intrigued by the matchup, though, so obviously it gets tricky. There's some realities to how this could even work. But I want to start by just looking at the starting fives and just putting it together from there and kind of working around so we can all. I would argue that the world top five is really obvious, and that is just Luka, Jokic, Chake Eu, just Alexander Jannis and Wimby.
Speaker 4: I agree wholehearted.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's anybody else who has a case to get into that group. Who is the USA five?
Speaker 4: I gotta assume they run back some version of the Olympic five, which is Steph Booker Lebron Kadie and either Bam or Anthony Davis, whoever is healthiest, I would assume, But that's gotta be the first four, even like I don't have no I do not care a single second about how old Lebron James is, Like, you have to run that group out right.
Speaker 2: I The tricky thing there is I wonder if there's some of those guys are gonna get bumped because of just regular season performance, Like is Anthony Edward's gonna end up right cramming his way into that list something like that. At least they have some practice playing without Jason Tatum.
Speaker 4: And is maybe the answer ever Devin Booker.
Speaker 2: Anyways, But yeah, I this is where it gets tricky. The entire premise doesn't make a ton of sense because in terms of debating these two teams competing, because the entire idea is that these guys aren't competing. But like there's an undeniable, like the Americans can run the floor a little bit better. I would argue that it gets a little tricky when they get stuck in the half court. Obviously, Luka Nikola Jokic, shake yell, just Alexander that's the three most surgical offensive players in the NBA at this point. I will say this, though, I think splitting it up and putting Steph Lebron and Katie on the same team, do you think there's any chance that that brings the competitive or do you think those old dudes are like, this isn't worth it.
Speaker 3: It's a great question, I think. I think bringing the fact that.
Speaker 4: If the Olympics wasn't last summer, if the Olympics wasn't so recent, I would say and even at this point, it will be one year later, so maybe I won't feel that recent at the time, but I do feel like that has had such an energy to it the Olympics that I'm hoping that carries over since you have that same core US group, And I also think it's good to have specifically Yiannis against.
Speaker 3: Playing against that team.
Speaker 4: It's not like Team USA versus France, Tuosa versus World team that has Giannis that is the most try hard player in the NBA, try art star, at least in the NBA, and so I'm hoping he and Wemby, who seems to be taking things like personally personally, but like he's he seems to be taking it a little. Seriously, I'm hoping that those two can set a little bit of a tone for the World team because you get those two in transition, I mean, they're I mean, that's a good of an All Star pairing as you could possibly come up with, honestly.
Speaker 2: And if those dudes just run and Luca and Jokic just throw kick ahead passes, that might go a long way.
Speaker 4: To tell me, Luca throwing three quarter lobs to Wemby and Giannis a game like, come on.
Speaker 2: But we all agree that, like, if those dudes really knuckle down, that they're just gonna beat the USA, right, Like we we agree on that.
Speaker 3: What's I don't know the case.
Speaker 4: The case is the the old Man Avengers just won the Gold and they and when Steph is rolling, you know who's stopping Steph in an All Star format. There's the other another wrinkle to this that I just thought of, by the way, is there is a chance that Jannis and Wemby are on the same team next year, and if they are both starting the All Star Game next to each other, going against the World team, then you're gonna get I think that would even ramp up the intensity a little bit more from from their perspective.
Speaker 2: But if the world's also gonna play harder to your point, I think that's where it gets pretty tough. I think we're talking about Steph will be well, Steffie thirty eight, yet.
Speaker 3: I think he.
Speaker 2: Will be Lebron will literally be forty one. Ad Ad will be thirty two or thirty three, I think at that point, and KD I think will be thirty eight if I remember correctly. It's pretty a group. It's an old it's an old group. You obviously start to dip into the benches and it gets tricky too. But you mentioned this to me in the text. But like I do, there are some realities to like, how could you even logistically pull this off in terms of putting.
Speaker 3: In the formats strange.
Speaker 4: The format's a little strange because we talk about the the European and the Overseas, not just europe. Overseas stars winning all the MVPs recently and feels like they're taking over the league as some of the times the conversation.
Speaker 3: But it's very top heavy.
Speaker 4: It's very top heavy, and so I'm wondering past guys seven, eight or nine. Like I saw some graphics people are making up putting Bogdanovitch out there and like that's fine, good for Bogdanovic, But right, are we gonna give that guy an All Star?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 4: Are we getting fifteen guys from each team? Are we just oping that we get a magic eight and eight?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Logistically and because of the the not in the moment importance, but the historical importance of All Star appearances and in terms of resume building and that kind of stuff, you can't just be gifting people all star games.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 2: To your point, you'd have to literally structure it in a way to where you gave all Star selections but didn't let dudes play like You'd have to have a team. You'd have to have a Team USA roster that is like seventeen players long right, and then have like to your you'd have to have like Bogdanovich come in and basically be a filler. I mean, when we start to go down the list, it's like we get to a lot of Americans before we get to other foreign players like Tyres Maxi, and I'm just going down the points per game list. Tyre's Maxi, Kate Cunningham, Jalen Brunson, Pala Boncaro, Devin Booker, as we established, would probably have to come off the bench, LaMelo Ball, Damian Lillard, Anthony Davis, Kyrie, Irvings, Zion Williamson, Steph Curry, Karl Anthony Towns, Lebron, James Trey Young. Franz is the first foreign name to show up on that list.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like like you'll get Jamal Murray will finally get his All Star appearance.
Speaker 3: That's cool, I guess good for Jamal Murray. Jamal Murray up in there. I don't know, like the after the top five of the world.
Speaker 4: It is a very strong top five and they it's but it's very top.
Speaker 2: It after Franz, cam Thomas, American, Donovan Mitchell, American, Tyler Harrow American, Joe El Embiid Adopted American, Darreon Fox American, Zach Lavine, American, John Moran, American, James Harden American, Brandon Ingram American, Demart rose An American, Jalen Brown, American, Jaron Jackson, American, Norman Powell American. Like I'm Jamal Murray is the next guy. Jamal Murray is the next guy. At he's thirty ninth, and so this kind of goes to Kd's because Kadi was ranting about this a lot on social media, this idea that he like, he didn't he think some of the talk with the world catching up is overblown, and there's a case for both sides.
Speaker 3: Like I could argue both.
Speaker 2: Like if I was arguing that the world's ahead, I could be like, we have you know, the world has three of the top three players in the world right now, you know four of the top four, Like it's probably y'll get Shae, Giannis and Luca are your top are your top four in all likelihood?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: But if I was arguing Kadi's point of view, I'd be like, it's just random because after you get past those top four guys, it's dominated by American players at that point. And obviously points per game isn't the perfect UH indicator there because there are guys like Sabonis who you're you're probably not putting, you know, all the way down in forty or something like that. But like there are other like do everything types of guys that are going to be higher on that list. But there is a reality to like, once you get off of that top tier of superstars, it's a pretty steep drop off from there, So, like I I feel like Adam Silver he did. He doesn't seem to have much of a plan for how this is gonna work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he doesn't seem that much of a planner.
Speaker 2: I admire the intention and the intention of trying to get guys to compete. My thing is like, if you're not going to give them something to compete for, meaning like if you're not gonna throw a bunch of money on the table, then really your only chance is the character of the players, Like you need more giannis as, more wembys, more guys that come in are like I'm playing hard tonight, and if you get enough of those guys, it'll work.
Speaker 3: It's just like any pickup run.
Speaker 2: If you go play pick up and you get seven or eight pretty high level players to play super hot hard, like you can mix in some riff raff and it's gonna work. But like once you dip below the like mandatory minimum of like understanding of high level basketball, like it's gonna fall off of a cliff. And like similarly, with effort and energy and competitiveness, like if.
Speaker 3: You get like.
Speaker 2: Like five or six dudes on the floor who are like really going for it, you'll have the other three or four they're gonna or four or five, they're gonna look at each other and they're gonna be like, we're gonna be embarrassed and look stupid if we don't also start playing hard. And so it's on the players. We need competitors. We talked about competitiveness at the top. You need competitors to come in and actually uh raise that level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, last thing before we go.
Speaker 4: I do think that there is a chance that it works if it have and I think if this actually does happen.
Speaker 3: They really need just a stroke of.
Speaker 4: Good luck like they got with the first year of the ELA ending it was the first.
Speaker 3: Year after covid R.
Speaker 4: In the first year, yeah, and it was unbelievable in the fourth quarter of that game, and the fact that in the next couple of years it wasn't because it wasn't even close in the fourth quarter getting to the fourth quurse, right, And so if by whatever stroke of luck, you get a close game heading into whatever the fourth quarter of this new format will be, then you have it. I think if it's get down to eight minutes left or a target score, these guys will turn on the country pride thing from the Olympics a little bit, but if it's not closed at that point, then it's gonna flop heavy.
Speaker 2: So in all, like, if there's one thing I agree with the Adam Silver approach over the last few years, he's gotten really janky with everything. But it doesn't make sense to play forty eight minutes if the guys aren't gonna play.
Speaker 3: Hard, like for sure. But my thing is like, if this doesn't work.
Speaker 2: And it's more or less the same dynamic that we've seen in other years, I think you just go back to forty eight minutes, you go back to East West, you go back to your normal rosters, and you just leave it up to the players to compete. And you know, I saw we saw Kevin Duran quote tweet the thing with Steven A. Smith when he was like saying like it's going to be like basically like saying it's going to be something that these players will be remembered for. Is like the players who killed the All Star Game. Katy's like, this is dramatic. I agree with Katie in that regard. Like, you know what I think about when I think about the NBA, I think about what we saw tonight. I think about what we've seen in this playoff run. I think about the dozens and dozens and dozens of incredible regular season moments that we get every year, crazy games, crazy star performance as game winners, showdowns between rivalries, like that's the stuff that I think about. Like, even when the All Star Game was better, it was pretty far down the list of things that I cared about. And so like the idea that like this is the legacy of this generation, I think, I think is foolishness. I think Adam silver owes it to the league to try a few more ways. But if he backed out and he was just like, look, the All Star Game is the All Star Game, I'm leaving it as I would respect that too. All Right, guys, it's all we have for YouTube tonight. We are headed over to playback. The first thing we do when we get over there is we're rewatching that fourth quarter. So we're gonna get over there, We're gonna watch some film, we'll take some callers, we'll take some questions again at playback dot tv slash Hoops tonight for the YouTube audience. I will be back tomorrow morning with a film breakdown. I'm also going to be doing something else on Saturday, but keep an eye on my Twitter feed for that. But tomorrow morning a film breakdown, and then obviously we will be back live after game two on Sunday. I will see you guys then.
Speaker 3: What's up guys?
Speaker 2: As always, I appreciate you for listening to and supporting OOPS tonight. It would actually be really helpful for us if you guys would take a second and leave a rating and a review. As always, I appreciate you guys supporting us, but if you could take a minute to do that, I'd really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: The volume