Speaker 1: This is Alec Baldwin, and you were listening to Here's the Thing from iHeart Radio. It's summer and that means it's time for our tradition at Here's the Thing. Will the staff share their favorite episodes from our archives in our Summer staff Picks series? Next up is producer Zach MacNeice.
Speaker 2: Thanks Alec. On January fifth of this year, twenty twenty four, on Alaska Airline's Boeing seven three seven Max nine made an emergency landing in Portland, Oregon after a piece of the fuselage blew out of the plane. Five days later, on January fourteenth, a Boeing seven three seven eight hundred was forced to turn around and land in Japan after a crack was found mid air on the cockpit window. On March seventh, a Boeing seven seven seven two hundred made an emergency landing in Los Angeles after attire fell off the plane during takeoff. And today, July thirty first, Boeing has named a new CEO, Robert Ortberg, after announcing a one point four billion dollar loss in the second quarter of the year. These are just a few of the many recent Boeing headlines In the past two and a half years since the release of Rory Kennedy's documentary Downfall, The Case against Boeing. Alex spoke with Rory in March of twenty twenty two, and I couldn't think of a better time to revisit this conversation about the film, The Great American Company and Rory Kennedy's incredible life as a documentary filmmaker.
Speaker 1: My guest today comes from the most legendary of American families. Rory Kennedy is the youngest daughter of Senator Robert F. Kennedy and the niece of President John F.
Speaker 3: Kennedy.
Speaker 1: But as she will tell us during our conversation, she's also one of the great Kennedy Women. Instead of following her forbears into law or politics, Kennedy has made a name for herself as a documentary filmmaker. Her films feature a wide range of subjects, from surfing legend Laird Hamilton to challenging issues like poverty, addiction, and mental illness. In her current film, she's tackling corporate corruption. That film, Downfall the Case against Boeing, investigates the circumstances that led to two tragic passenger jet crashes. In twenty eighteen and nineteen, Rory Kennedy and I talk about her remarkable upbringing and how the people she's encountered in her life have influenced her trajectory.
Speaker 4: I think it's hard to detach anybody from how they grew up, right, I mean, that's such an influence and impact on who you become. And certainly that was the case with me.
Speaker 5: I grew up.
Speaker 4: The youngest of eleven and in an obviously a very political family, and I was impacted by that. I mean I was also surrounded, my mother made a point of this by really extraordinary role models, you know, when we had such a the honor of meeting, whether it was you know, presidents or congressmen and senators or people like Nelson Mittndela and Desmond Tutu, you know, who were in our homes, and also some of the great athletes and you know NASA astronauts.
Speaker 5: I mean, so, I think.
Speaker 4: It was a life where we were surrounded by people who created a sense of aspiration and to try to make the world a bit of a better place.
Speaker 1: Now, what would you say though, that, as you're making a film, do you have protocols, rules, tenets, whatever word you want to use, where you sit there and say that's not something I'm going to do that's influenced by the way your family's been treated. If you're making a film and let's say some aspect of a story, there's a very kind of scandalizing, tawdry to shy away from that is the way you guys have been attacked from time to time.
Speaker 4: I think I have certain sensitivities. For example, with Downfall, the case against Boeing, there's three hundred and forty six people who died, and there are the family members who are related to those people, some of whom we talked to in our film, And I was definitely thinking, well, how is it going to be for these folks to watch this film right? And I've had to see scenes over and over again that play themselves out on the news that are very upsetting to watch about my family dying right and being killed, and I didn't want to subject them to that. But I also wanted to make a film that was impactful. We do cgi recreations of what it was like to be in the cockpit so that we could really help people understand the perspective of the pilots in these planes and what they were struggling with with the MCS system. And you know, but I thought, how are these folks going to watch this film? So when I sent the film to them before it's coming out, I highlighted all the sections that I thought would be hard for them to watch, so that they could be aware of that and go into it and decide to watch those sections or not. So, you know, maybe I have some sensitivity and moments like that. I think the types of films I choose generally tend to be political in nature and tend to you know, I hope when people watch these films, whether it's this or a film about Vietnam, the final days of the war, film about Abu Grabe, that we learned from them, and we learn from watching these stories and hopefully make better choices moving forward.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So, I think the choices of the films I make are certainly impacted by the family I grew up in.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that you mentioned that, and this is only tangential, but remember being invited years ago Clinton was in.
Speaker 3: The White House.
Speaker 1: I was invited to the White House to a screening of the movie The Paper Howard, and I'm sitting in a seat in the theater and the woman to my right who's sitting next to me. A gun goes off in the middle of the film, and that woman grabbed my arm and gasped this huge gasp when the gun went off.
Speaker 5: It was your mom, right, So you know there's.
Speaker 3: Me to this day, it's she's not prepared for that. Yeah, those sounds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there's trauma related to that for sure.
Speaker 3: Now to get to the film.
Speaker 1: So I watched this film obviously, and I was mesmerized. Congratulations by the way. I mean, you came to the Hampton's Film Festival. Every year a film of yours comes and we all look at together and we're like, can we really invite her again? Do we bringing Rory down to Easthampton again? I mean, is it enough enough? I mean, how much more can we shine her up here? But we loved your film about your mom. We're gonna get to that later. I loved Last Days of Vietnam. That was a great I'm not just saying this, that's a great movie. Great movie. Really, just you what film can do in this period of what's happening and understanding that those moments that you did a great job and this film made me angry this film. I was pissed off because only one guy I think is criminally charged. Correct, that's correct, and that we identify that person, Mark Forkner.
Speaker 3: And he was in charge of what it is bowing.
Speaker 4: He was a pilot, a test pilot, and he was you know, he really wasn't responsible for what happened, and a lot of people feel like he was scapegoaded because he was really in charge of making sure, you know, he was testing the plane and then he played a role in keeping the MCS system away from the regulators. And that's documented and there's proof of that, and so they followed up with that. But you know, Congressman Defaisio, for example, led the congressional investigation into what happened, the biggest investigation the Infrastructure and Transportation Committee's history, and he concluded that this was really top down right, that the top group in management at Boeing was very aware of the MCS system, that there was a concerted effort to keep the system away from the regulators, to hide the system, and to cut corners along the way, and that there was you know, it was a culture of concealment, is what he calls it. So I think that there are a lot of people who feel like the folks who are most responsible have yet to be held accountable. And there's been no criminal charges. And you know, Lallenberg walked away with the head of Boeing, the head of Boeing sixty sixty two million dollars. So, you know, I think after you've kind of watched the film and really understand all the decisions that the management at Boeing made along the way to prioritize profit over safety, that you know, when you understand the depths of those choices that I think many people like you are outraged.
Speaker 1: Well for people, I don't want to I want them to see the film obviously, but I want to give them just a taste of So Boeing wants to create I'll let you fill in the blank. So they want to create a fleet. They're losing market share, they're getting their hat handed to them by Airbus. Things are not looking good for Boeing, who had been dominant around the world for decades and then and were the pride of not just Seattle but the United States aviation industry, and then the things start to go down from so they want to play ketchup and they want to produce a lower cost, more fuel efficient I think was the goal of the seven seven thirty seven MAX. Got to get the word max and there the seven thirty seven fuel efficiency was the goal. And then a part of this was the development of this system which was to help to so they don't make too steep a climb.
Speaker 3: A system takes.
Speaker 1: Over the plane and lowers the nose of the plane and forces the plane down, but doesn't shut off. It forces the nose of the plane down straight into the ground.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, that's there were concern at a certain angle that the plane would stall, and so they instead of changing the kind of structure of the plane and moving the engines and whatnot, they decided to fix it with a computer system, again in an effort to save money, it seems, and that computer system was connected to one sensor on the side of the airplane like a weather vein, and so if that sensor was damaged, which happens off and gets hit by bird, something happens to it, it would send and this is what happened, erroneous information to the computer system. So it would tell the computer system that the plane was at a certain angle and you needed to push the nose down, but it wasn't at that angle. It was more at a flat angle, and not only would it push the nose of the plane down, but it would do it over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: Probably the most powering details you covered the film is and the pilots were not told about the installation of this system.
Speaker 4: That's correct, it's you know, prior to the Line air crash, which was the first crash, the pilots were completely unaware that the system was even on the airplane, which was also kind of flew in the face of what had been the normal relationship between Boeing and pilots, which was to really educate and form pilots about everything training, you know, make them fully equipped to handle any situation that would happen. But in this case they in an effort to really keep this from regulators. Really, what was motivating them is that if they have a totally new system on the airplane, then they have to train pilots. And if they have to train pilots, it cost them a million dollars per an aircraft, you know, on average to train these pilots. So they wanted to again it seems, save the money, and so instead of making people aware that this system was on the airplane. They made a concerted effort to we're.
Speaker 1: Not even going to tell you about this machine we've installed, which, if it behaves badly, is going to crash the plane. Yes, and there's a manual override that they might have been able to activate. They could have gotten out of it, I guess if they'd had the training.
Speaker 4: If they had had the training. Except what we also discover and showcase in the course of this film is a document that came out in twenty sixteen. It's called a coordination sheet that shows that if something went wrong with the system, that the pilots would need to fix it within ten seconds, otherwise the power of the MCS system would overtake them if they didn't do it in ten seconds, and.
Speaker 5: The results would be catastrophic.
Speaker 4: And catastrophic in airplane language means the plane will crash and everybody will die. So you know, even if the pilots right. So in the second instance, in the Ethiopian airplane crash, the pilots were aware of the system, they did everything right, they did what they were told to do, and the plane still crashed. So you know, if you don't and what you have to also remember, and this is why we also created the kind of the CGI recreation of what happens in that cockpit is there's this cacophony of sounds and error alerts that are all contradicting each other that the pilots are trying to understand and navigate and figure out. Okay, this is thing where you know, the altitude is in disagreement, the air speed is in disagreement, the all systems alert is on the stickshaker is going, there's all of these alerts coming at them, and then with that they have to navigate. Okay, well, what this all means is that I need to do these steps within ten seconds and otherwise this plane is going to crash. I mean, I don't want to go on a plane that is putting pilots in that position. I don't want to put my children.
Speaker 1: Or fa people are whose job who'd give anything to save the lives of their passengers. Think of something more unimaginable than to be on the in the cockpit of a plane and the plane is behaving and not in some anomalous way. You see yourself hurtling towards the ground. It's yeah, nine to eleven. You're the planes going into the ground and you're sitting there thinking what can you and you don't know what to do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, it's completely funny. You know, maybe they're eating a turkey sandwich.
Speaker 4: You know, it does not like you're not there sitting there on total alert for the entire plane ride.
Speaker 1: Well, before we get into the macro of your filmmaking, one more thing. I think you make it clear in the film the idea that this is a different Boeing. At this point, I thought it was fascinating how you talk about the move to Chicago. They moved the headquarters to Chicago for the purposes of distancing themselves from the influence, and.
Speaker 3: I thought it was well that the influence was good. It was a nice battery.
Speaker 1: It was a nice exchange between Union's management, design, technology, and the corporate And these guys are like, no, no, no, we don't want to be too close to those guys in Seattle. So we're going to move to Chicago so we can make our decisions in this bubble in Chicago. And it seems like what was a great company that rare, I mean, multi billion dollar enterprise. It made big, expensive things that they were very proud of that defined the city, and everything moves to Chicago, and it seems like that's part of the problem was once that merger was made and they moved to Chicago, that cost cutting thing becomes primary.
Speaker 5: I think that's right, you know.
Speaker 4: I think, like you, I love Boeing and what Boeing stood for in this country, and you know the history of Boeing, and we really celebrate that in the film because it's been an extraordinary company for decades. You know, it helped us get out of World War Two. It helped build the fighter jets to win that war. It helped get us.
Speaker 5: To the moon with my uncle Jack.
Speaker 4: I mean, they helped build those engines in the rocket chips. They helped people be able to travel all over the world for the first time, you know, with the seven forty seven and extraordinary accomplishment. So we wanted to celebrate that. And during those very early years and for many decades, Boeing did one thing, which was to say, we're going to prioritize excellence and safety and then the profits will follow. We're going to make the best planes possible, We're going to innovate, we're going to do new things and we're going to think to the future. And then it changed hands, taken over really. I mean, one person we interviewed said somehow McDonald douglas bought Boeing with Boeing's money and the McDonald douglas people were put in charge, and they had a very different business model, which was very Wall Street focused and quarterly earnings, you know, And so they made a series of decision corporate decisions to cut back on personnel who's whose job it was to ensure safety and put pressure on the folks who are building the planes to build them quicker and faster, and when people would complain about safety, that slows that process down.
Speaker 1: Documentary filmmaker Rory Kennedy. If you enjoy conversations about the making of documentary films, check out my episode with British filmmaker Lucy Walker. Her documentary Bring Your Own Brigade is an in depth look at California wildfires and their effect on local residents.
Speaker 6: What I want to understand is, well, how are we stopping it and why are people living in these areas and building these houses that burn over and over and over again. Could we do better? So you would think that when people look at developing an area for housing. They would think about far safety, but nobody's actually thinking about, well are they going to be able to ensure these homes and who's going to pay if these homes burn down.
Speaker 1: To hear more of my conversation with Lucy Walker, go to Here's the Thing dot org. After the break, Rory Kennedy and I discussed the filmmakers who have influenced her work. I'm Alec Baldwin and you're listening to Here's the Thing. Filmmaker Rory Kennedy has made more than forty documentaries. Her work has earned an Emmy and several Oscar nominations along the way. I wanted her to share some of her process as a filmmaker.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, different people and companies work in different ways. I'm very hands on as a filmmaker, and I you know, I love to be doing all the interviews and being in the edit room, and so I don't take on a huge number of projects at any given time. And usually when I decide that I really want to do a particular project, I really try to make it happen. I was really committed. I felt like this story was so important, the downfall story. I think, like so many other people, I witnessed these two airplanes crashing within five months of each other, the exact same aircraft. Three hundred and forty six people died. And you know, I, like so many other people, fly right, and I felt like, I want to know what happened, who knew what when, who is responsible for this? And I want to make sure that something like this doesn't happen again. But I also felt that, you know, during the last decades that America has been really prioritizing corporate interests, right, And so I think.
Speaker 5: This film than usual.
Speaker 4: I think this film, I hope, rises to something that's not just about these crashes, which is, you know, as meaningful as it gets. But I think it touches on something else, which is the need to regulate, the need to balance out corporate interests making money, making money, making money, and the need to balance out with public interest right. And we've seen corporations like Boeing balances for many decades and do fantastically well. And I think that when that gets out of balance, it hurts everybody.
Speaker 3: So when you see.
Speaker 1: Someone like Defasio, the head of the committee, the guy that was the leading light there in the Congress. Did he have as much integrity overall as it appears to be on screen.
Speaker 3: He's fantastic because you know as well as I do.
Speaker 1: You know, where are people in government who care enough and they want to fight the way we're going. Like Boeing was a company, you say, well, you understand, you want people to make money and make profits. Boeing was doing quite well before. Sure they had a slump when Douglas took over. But what you find is not only do people want to make money, they want to make obscene amounts of money. They want to make an amount of money that they're looking at you like you're a child, like, well, you know, now, calm down, sunny, because there's a lot of money at stake here for us who run and own the company.
Speaker 3: And my point is is that for me, I'm always so sad.
Speaker 1: I'm always so impacted by government officials who don't have the guts to do their job, and the government's job is to I mean, I watched people in testimony in hearings and I think to myself, thank God I'm not there, because I would be looking at the heads of car companies or ol companies going you don't get it. You come here, you answer our questions on behalf of the American people. We have the authority, and I feel like that authority is not always employed effectively. You said de Fassio did.
Speaker 3: A good job.
Speaker 4: He's amazing. I mean he and his heart was so in the right place. But he was also dogged and he held these folks accountable. And you know when you see him in those congressional testimonies and chasing down every single document and you know, putting this report together, which took years in the making and is incredibly thorough. They go after Bowing and they hold them accountable, and they're continuing to go after Boeing.
Speaker 5: So I think there are.
Speaker 4: A lot of extraordinary heroes who are celebrated who are really on the front lines of this, whether it's Defasio or Michael Stumo, who's the father of Samuel Stumo who died in the Ethiopian plane crash and turned from a victim to really an advocate. And he I mean, I just got off the phone with him yesterday and he he's not giving up on this. I mean, Boeing's thrown a lot of money at these families to get them to be quiet, and he is not going to be silenced, and he is continuing to you know, spread the message that he has very continued concerns about the safety of the seven thirty seven Acts, the seven eighty seven Dreamliner. They just announced yesterday the FAA that I mean as though this should be news, but that the FAA is going to actually regulate bowing and not let Boeing regulations regulating.
Speaker 1: So, you know, point to watch the film because that's another interesting point about how when I was studying government at GW in the seventies, when I went down to Washington to go to school, and we talked about that, and we talked about how, you know, departmentalization, how people are in these departments, like presidents come and go. We're here civil servants for twenty thirty years, and so here at the FA we have our own relationships with eight with airline companies, and they allowed Boeing to self regulate and self inspect.
Speaker 4: I do think you're right that there's they're not enough people in government who are advocating. But I guess my point is is that in this film, you show a world where advocacy comes from a lot of different perspective. It comes from the government officials doing the right thing in this case, Defasio. It also comes from you know, people who don't think of themselves as advocates but turn into ad before it's as a result. And then you know Andy p Store, who's a dogged journalist who chases down the story and gets us the information. And it's the combination of all of those people who come together, and you know, the storytellers, right, So I'm not putting myself in that category, but we also have to you know, the Lucy Walkers and yourself, the people who are packaging these stories and getting them out in the way this audience digestible to an audience, and so that that translates hopefully into creating a better world.
Speaker 1: I'm curious for people to understand how documentary films come to the screen. Bob Drew, he did the trip tick primary about your uncle. I mean, one of the funniest things in the world you've ever seen in your life, Hubert Humphrey walking into like some barn with men sitting on bails of hay, saying America, we know what it's got to do. And then you cut to your uncle walking with his wife in your room. For the people and people are crying and screaming like it's a Beatles concert or who's going to win the primary.
Speaker 3: Who were your influences in your filmmaking.
Speaker 4: Well, certainly Bob Drew was, I mean an extraordinary filmmaker. Penny Baker was a huge influence on me as well. Barbara Kopple, who you know. The first documentary feature I made was American Hollow, which was about a family in eastern Kentucky, and it was really an extraordinary story of a woman who had thirteen kids and they all lived off the land, and we kind of spent a year with them. Certainly influenced by Barbara and her extraordinary work in Kentucky and Appalachia. So, you know, I think those early veritay filmmakers have huge influence on the world of filmmaking today. And then they're just you know, there's just a flew of incredible filmmakers who are colleagues of mine. You know Lucy Wallerker you mentioned, I think she's a fantastic filmmaker. My old partner Liz Garbis, is fantastic. Together to the company, we're not still together as a company, but we remain very good friends and advocates for each other.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's fantastic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, gosh, your so knowledge well, Amy Berg is fantastic.
Speaker 5: RJ.
Speaker 4: Cutler, Davis Guggenheim. I mean there's just Don Porter. I think that we're surrounded by really talented filmmakers, and I think there's I think we've all also been influenced, you know. I think this verite influence has impacted the kinds of work that we do. But I think we're also influenced by Hollywood and the films that we're seeing, the narrative films and the dramatic storytelling, so that we're making films that keep you a little bit more at the edge of your seat of what's going to happen next, you know, and really pull you into the characters and and and to the plot, to you know, the storytelling. I think it's very sophisticated these days. I think, you know, you see it out in the world, and you know, when you turn on your Netflix account, it's a mix up there. It's not like, here's the narratives and then go down deep into your Netflix account to find the documentaries. They're up center, you know, because people are watching them and there they're pulled in and I think it's.
Speaker 5: Because they're really great storytellers.
Speaker 1: Filmmaker Rory Kennedy, If you're enjoying this conversation, tell a friend and be sure to follow Here's the Thing on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. When we come back, Rory Kennedy talks about the film of hers that was the hardest for her to make. I'm Alec Baldwin and you were listening to Here's the Thing. The Kennedy family has made history, and most of that while occupying a path from Hyanna Sport, Massachusetts, down to McLean, Virginia, and yet Rory somehow landed in California.
Speaker 4: Well, my husband Mark, as you know, as a screenwriter and a writer, and he is also my partner in writing documentaries, but he has other writing that draws him out there. So we decided we'd go out there for a couple of years because at that time, ten or twelve years ago, the kind of independent film world was fizzling out here in New York and was sort of pivoting over the West Coast.
Speaker 5: We fell in love with California.
Speaker 3: Your brother moves that I talked to him on Find I Go how do you look. He goes, it's great. I go, oh god, no, no, I said.
Speaker 5: Not you not, you come on out?
Speaker 1: I said, you're you're going out there? I said, I think Cheryl's great, but there's a lot of other women out there for you, Bob. And he doesn't have to be living out there in California, and he loves it.
Speaker 5: He came out there with his EMU, his bird.
Speaker 4: I remember he was trying to figure out a way to get the bird out there, and I said, well, you know, I maybe try Richard Plepler. He's got that HBO plane. So he called Richard and he said, can I bring my Can you take my bird out? But he failed to mention that the bird was six feet high and needed to go with Richard anyway.
Speaker 5: So he said order the bird.
Speaker 4: Came out and then Bobby didn't have a house for the first couple of weeks, so the bird lived at my house with Mark Nde blueberries and anyway. There are lots of stories to tell about Toby the bird.
Speaker 3: And he loves California no too, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he loves he loves it out there.
Speaker 1: Now, you did the movie about your mom, and of course you make a little joke there, But how difficult it was to recruit your mom?
Speaker 4: Yes, she.
Speaker 1: Was not, she was not a willing subject to be filmed. No, but eventually she's set down.
Speaker 4: My siblings were very difficult too, by the way. Really well, yes, they just didn't make it easy.
Speaker 3: They're busy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, they just wanted to make it difficult for me, because why would it Why would they make it easy when they don't have to know? They were all fantastic, and including my mother, and they they did answer ultimately all the questions I asked them. And my mother, I was just with her yesterday I played backham and with her, and I mean I was just I was winning the whole game. My dice were so much better. I played brilliantly, and then she beat me again. She's ninety four. I cannot beat that woman playing backham and I'm not a bad vackham and player.
Speaker 3: I love that. I love that.
Speaker 1: Your mother also, And you know this infly better than I do. She just in her own wonderful way and in a truly in a truly marvelous way, she just doesn't suffer fools at all. And we're playing golf up there at the golf tournament, and she says to me, coming golf with me. You're you're gonna be with me, and you're gonna be with Frank and so and so and so. And I go, I said, I beg your pardon. I said, you have to really understand it's important. Could this I've crossed this with this juncture before, I said, I'm a miserable golfer.
Speaker 3: Oh, of course you can hit a golf ball. Come on, come on you.
Speaker 1: I said, no, no, I don't think you really understand. I need you desperately to listen to carefully what I'm saying. No, no, no, no, no, please with this is non sets. Come on, you're to come with me. You're gonna play with me and Frank and I. As is always the case, I am scared to do so. I do fairly well. I can drive the ball. I could I get lucky with the irons. I can put I can drive iron some terrible We get to the second of me the third hold your other t She goes, you're right, you really can golf? Can you?
Speaker 5: Did you shake you off your tea?
Speaker 4: Get?
Speaker 3: Could we get lou in here?
Speaker 4: Someone?
Speaker 3: Where's the ringer that was following us to fill in for me.
Speaker 1: Now, one thing I noticed when I worked with the Kunstler sisters who did disturbing in the Universe about their father, William Kunstler, And when I was talking to them, it was I kind of knew this, but it was brought into sharper focus from me.
Speaker 3: The cost.
Speaker 1: I mean, they told me that they were trying to retire a debt of like forty thousand, fifty thousand dollars of debt they owed for archival footage from NBC and other network news organizations. Is that true for you as well? Meaning do you find these costs or just I mean, because I have one belief that old network news organizations the material should be made free under fair use.
Speaker 3: These are public airways.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it is.
Speaker 4: It can be astronomical the cost associated with archive. I mean, we're lucky enough with this film that it was. It was fully financed by Netflix, who covered those costs for us, so we're not dead on it. But it can really make or break a lot of terrific documentaries out there. I think more people are leaning into fair use, but there has been a few instances of backlash against that where people chase them down and demand being paid you know, particularly for these historical documentaries, it's a real cost.
Speaker 1: It's like people who when I was working more consistently on the issue of campaign financial form with creative coalition organizations I worked with years ago in the ninety is, from disparate sources, we learned that one of the great enemies of campaign finance reform is the National Association of Broadcasters because these affiliates in the network TV world. Someone said to me there are stations in this country that make seventy percent of their annual budget during one election cycle, right, and selling political advertising. They do not want to take the money out of politics, and the NAB, the National Association BOK is constantly finding campaign finance law changes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, listen, I so appreciate your work in that air area too, because I think, you know, when just circling back to your point about you know, who are these leaders now like Defasio who are advocating for us. I think it's it's hard, given the system that we have to really produce and encourage people who are in it exclusively for the public interest, right, I mean, that's those are the types of people who you want to be driven to politics, as people who are going to make the world a better place, but instead they're often driven there because of money, and that's not really the reason you want people ultimately in that position. So I think there's a lot still to be done, obviously with campaign finance reform in this country.
Speaker 1: Which film for you was the most difficult to put together as a film? What was the biggest challenge?
Speaker 4: Well, I think the hardest one for me was ethel you know, the stakes were so high and it was so deeply personal. You know, I had to look through lots of footage. We're talking about archive footage, you know, some of which was extraordinary and beautiful and so fun to see and just you know, gave me a depth of understanding of my family and my father, who I never met, you know, just watching him in this footage and a lot of footage has never been seen before was a really beautiful experience for me. But it was also emotionally challenging and difficult, and I you know, I wanted to ultimately make a film that showed, you know, the challenges and the difficulties that my mother in particular went through and.
Speaker 5: Faced, but also.
Speaker 4: You know, to celebrate her because I think that for so many people in our family with they focus on Robert Kennedy, John F. Kennedy, Teddy Kennedy, but there's not as much focus on the women, right and there. You know, my aunt units started the Special Olympic. She's contributed enormously, but she hasn't quite gotten that same level of attention and Nora has my mother and so many people when they introduce me, they say, oh, this is Robert Kennedy's daughter, and I'm like, well, my mother actually raised me, and you know, she played a pretty big part in like who I am. So part of it was like, I think she deserves the spotlight at least for a moment, like, at least to be understood, Yeah, and to help people understand her contribution because she was also her nature was to kind of stand behind and not you know, be the one on the microphone and be the one sort of at the front line. So anyway, I think just for me personally, the stakes were higher on that one and it was more challenging for me.
Speaker 3: What are you working on next?
Speaker 4: I'm working on a couple projects. I've got another film with Netflix that is about a volcanic eruption that I'm doing right now. And then I've got a film about the global refugee crisis that's a big light. Yes, these are the main ones I'm focused on, and I'm very excited to, you know, have this film coming out on Netflix and committed to getting as many eyes on it as possible.
Speaker 1: Now, Last Days of Vietnam was in twenty fourteen. How many of these films Ethel was in twenty twelve. I can't believe that.
Speaker 3: But of these last films, have most of them been with Netflix?
Speaker 4: Now, this is my first film that I've directed with Netflix. Last Is was with PBF, a Etho was with HBO, did a film about Naso with the Discovery Channel.
Speaker 5: Let me just.
Speaker 4: Say, Alec that I have such an admiration and respect for you. You're such a talented artist, and you've always committed yourself to making the world a better place, and you have such a love for people and a heart that is more open and more generous than anybody I know. And I just have such deep admiration.
Speaker 5: And respect for you.
Speaker 3: I love for your mom.
Speaker 4: II.
Speaker 5: Will you take care?
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Rory Kennedy.
Speaker 1: Her documentary Downfall, The Case against Boeing, is available now on Netflix. This episode was produced by Kathleen Russo, Zach MacNeice, and Maureen Hobin. Our engineer is Frank Imperio. Here's the thing that is brought to you by iHeart Radio