Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not? And who says? So? Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. Hello, beautiful people, I am. I'm just so happy this summer the podcast has grown so tremendously. We haven't seen growth like this ever. It's been nuts. And also what's so cool is that most people's podcasts get less views in the summer because like, people are off their routines and stuff, and ours is getting more. So I just wanted to say thank you. Every time I zoom with one of you, which I try to do like once a week, or any time I meet you in real life. I'm just so amazed by how smart and just so you're so awesome, like by far the smartest, coolest listeners. And I don't say that because you're mine. I just say it because it's the truth. You all are amazing, and I'm so grateful for the Curious Minds Club that we have curated here. So I want to get into today's episode. Is there anything worse than a hangover? That groggy, cloudy, queasy confusion and that looming feeling that you didn't quite act yourself, or maybe you acted a little too much like yourself, you let that inner monologue slip out a little bit. We've all been there, but today we're talking about a different kind of hangover, and it's one that does't come from what you drink, but rather what you said. That is the vulnerability hangover. My therapist at one point called it the shame hangover, but I like the vulnerability hangover. It's that feeling that you shared a little too much and you got a little too deep and now you're filled with shame and dread. Researcher Brene Brown popularized this phrase, and she explained it in her twenty twelve ted talk Do you guys remember that one? She talks about it like it's this wave of shame, uncertainty, and self doubt and it hits you after you've been a little too emotionally exposed, and it can happen kind of out of nowhere with friends, at work, and of course in dating. And here's where today's guest comes in. Today we have award winning Harvard Business School professor and behavioral scientist, doctor Leslie John. She wants us to stop and question that feeling, because, as she puts it, while we're busy obsessing over the risks of revealing too much, we rarely stop to consider the cost of revealing too little.
Speaker 2: I come to believe that nine times out of ten, what we think of as oversharing is actually just sharing. So we treat oversharing as it's this huge social sin, but most of the time it's actually just sharing. Like when you think about it, almost anything is appropriate to share in the right circumstances, with the right person at the right time.
Speaker 1: Doctor John shares decades of research on why the conversations we avoid and the truths that we push down and the parts of ourselves that we keep hidden might be doing more damage than the moments we wish we could unsay. She really dives deep into this topic in her book, Revealing The Underrated Power of Oversharing. So today we're getting into it all. Why vulnerability feels so deeply risky, how to know when you've shared enough or not enough and why. The secret to deeper connections and better leadership and even better decision making may not be saying less, but learning how to reveal a little more. I want to warn you I probably push back more in this interview than usual. And I really really enjoyed doctor John's book, but I don't know if oversharing has helped me in life. I'm not sure we really should be oversharing. Maybe there's a time and a place, But listen. I think that's what makes this episode so fun. We debate not only was I really honest with her, but doctor John really held space for my honesty, if that makes sense. She was an awesome conversation partner. So it is time to question everything with doctor Leslie John. Doctor John, your whole book is about revealing, and I'm wondering if I can get you to reveal something off the bat. I'm not talking your deepest, darkest secret. I want to do that to you. But what's something that people wouldn't know from your Harvard bio?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. The first thing that came to mind was my first job was as a mascot for Boston Pizza. So one of those big furry guy costs you with the helmet was this big. There was like a fan inside giant purple monster chef guy. So people would not know that from my Harvard profile. Wow.
Speaker 1: I went to the University of Wisconsin and the rumor was that all the Bucky the Badgers had tattoos on their left butt cheek? Is that the same for you, doctor John?
Speaker 2: Fortunately now I actually don't have any tattoos. There's another reveal.
Speaker 1: I was thinking that I should match you, not for reciprocity necessarily, but just to connect.
Speaker 2: I think this is perfect because the next one of mine is more. So this is good.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good. Let's see what is a good one for me? I think. Okay, here's something I think about all the time. There was a test that I cheated on in call college. Wow, and I feel awful about it. I think about it all the time. I wrote an essay ahead of time, and I put it on my phone and put it like in between my lap under the desk and just rewrote the essay. And I just I hate that I did that.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, thank you for sharing that. That is so relatable, right, I'm sure many people have cheated on high school college tests and just not gotten caught. And who hasn't wanted to write like it's a lot.
Speaker 1: But you know what's so funny about it is I have a different understanding of cheating as an adult that I did as a college student. Like at the time, it didn't feel like a big deal, and now I think about it and I think it was such a betrayal to myself, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, yeah, yeah, there's growth obviously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So I'm curious, from your perspective, what did that just do in conversation between two strangers, the reveal that we each made.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel connected to you. I feel a sense of kinship, Like what you said is so relatable, and it made me think of other things in my life. I mean, even what it made me think of is and it's this instinct to reciprocate, to match and maybe go a little deeper, which is exactly what you did the way we started it off. What I thought then was how I have this recurring dream. Actually I don't think I've told anyone this. It's a recurring nightmare. I get it. I feel like I get it. Once a month or every other month, or something that I missed one of my requirements in college and I am not graduating, or that I failed the course, or there's something that it's like, I'm about to graduate, I'm supposed to graduate, and then you're missing a credit. Like it's this deep. It's a recurring thing, right, so it must be something deep in my soul. But that's that's one thing that I thought of. But yeah, I think like the reciprocity that is what you've just demonstrated is so fundamental to how we forge bonds with others. When you take that social risk of sharing something sensitive, you're showing me that you trust me because you're relinquishing controls of the universe, and you're implicitly saying, I'm sharing this with you because I trust you not to take advantage of me or make a fool out of me, and because you did that for me, then I trust you, and that trust begets trust is like I just gave myself goosebumps? Is that bad that I love this stuff? Clearly that's what where the core of human connection is. And we know that that's really fundamental to who we are and to thriving.
Speaker 1: So reading your book, I just the little girl in me felt so validated because I've built an entire career around connection and only in the last few years can sort of retrace my steps as to why. And one of the things that stood out to me was that you write about how we often played games like two Truths in a Lie or truth or Dare or never have I ever? I loved games growing up, and you say that they actually give us permission to share something about ourselves, and it feels a little safer to participately. Can you explain why that structure like a game makes vulnerability feel less risky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think because inherently the frame of a game is playfulness, and when we play games, we are playful. When we play games, when we lose, or when we get a little bit competitive yours truly, we forgive each other, We laugh, we realize it's not super serious, and so I love having that mindset in general of revealing it's a game, it's it shouldn't feel so high stakes, and I have ideas on how to make it less high stakes. But by explicitly making these disclosure games two Truths and a Lie, I think they really embody that that real need to make it playful.
Speaker 1: The high stakes environment that you just mentioned that doesn't exist in games, I think very much exist in social media, and I had so many questions around it as I was reading your book, because people are truly sharing their breakups, their diagnoses, their grief, their family drama, their dating lives, their morning routines. Sometimes I watch strangers online and I'm like, wait, who am I watching doing this intimate stuff? I know? And why some of it feels like a gift because I'm like, oh, I'm normal people do that too, and some of it feels like they're revealing too much. So do you feel like in twenty twenty six or this year, we're becoming more honest or are we just more exposed?
Speaker 2: Oh that's such a great question. I don't know that we are becoming more honest. I do think the exposure, well, the exposure point is apt because you know, we have so many more media to open up to and it's so easy to do so. But I don't think exposure is like true revealing or honesty or vulnerability necessarily right, especially on social media. A lot of the times it feels performative. Now that's not to say like social media. Can you can like podcasts, shares little videos as a viewer of those, they can still do a lot. They can be very reveally, you know they can. For example, when people share sensitive intimate things make me feel less alone in the world or right, they can have really positive impacts. So it certainly can be reveally. But just because someone confesses like a confessional does not equal to me revealing if that makes.
Speaker 1: Sense sense, Well, it does. But I'm wondering if you feel like it's shifted the way we make decisions, because you're a decision scientist and I know you spent years learning about what people decide to reveal.
Speaker 2: Right, right, yes, so say more, say more about this idea of the shift.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to tell you an unhinged story.
Speaker 2: Oh amazing, I love it. I have so many I know.
Speaker 1: I was out to lunch and I really like this friend. So I want to preface this. But she told me a story about past date she had, and he told her that he had this very rare diagnosis, and ultimately she told me her first thought she's a person on the internet, and so her first thought when he told her this was, oh, this is going to be my story, this is my journey. He's going to die young, and my story on the internet is going to be that I am like a young widow and that's my journey. And I had like a sort of guttural reaction to it, And I know she was kind of kidding, but I do think that she's actually touching on something that a lot of young people think about nowadays, which story something happens immediately and then they think, ooh, how am I gonna share this online? I think it's really shifted what we share because there are rewards for sharing.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was that one woman I forgot her name, but she shared like one hundred videos on TikTok about how this guy broke her heart and she ended up with a TV pilot and signed to a major agency. And I think that started a wave of things where people thought, Wow, I could really change my life by sharing this deep, dark story or secret. And I don't know if it's good or bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know, that's great. Yeah, I think so it's interesting because the digital world, it's a very foreign context for us. If you think, if I just go super psychology here in evolution. Narrowly speaking, this is not a medium that we are adept at navigating, right. We know we've been interacting face to face for a very long time, and so when it comes to deciding what to share and what not to share, it's super confusing online because it's a comp the rules are completely different, Like you don't you know, if you're standing and giving a lecture talking to your beeat, you can see the people, you can feel their presence. If you're posts like you have, you cannot see the people. Like that's a huge disconnect between how we've evolved to manage these things and how it is online. So it's a completely foreign medium. We don't really know what we're doing. And on top of that, there's lots of design factors that are actually nutging us to share more, right, that make it easy to share a ton. And I'm with you in that it's there's good and bad and you kind of have to take the bad with the good or the good with the bad in the sense that there are there are studies of people who you know, they feel very lonely and they've not able to get support, and then there's groups like patients like Me or whatever social media groups that help them to share what they're going through and feel less alone in a way that they never would have that otherwise. And so to the same point about the woman who shared, was it a bunch of breakups? Yeah, not to make it seem like, oh whatever, a bunch of breakups breakups.
Speaker 1: Well, it was like this guy who had cheated on her. It was like a one story cut into a bunch of different parts.
Speaker 2: Oh, so that like the people that receive that see that they feel less alone. This is something that people feel ashamed of when you get cheated, like people who get those of us who have the misery of being cheated on, like you kind of blame yourself and like all these things. And so for someone to have the courage to say that, and maybe one of the reasons they said it is because these barriers of anxiety and sharing are reduced somewhat in social media. Right, you can get into problems obviously because it's permanent, oddly per and all this, But the good of it is that she had the courage to share something, and the people that saw that they felt way less alone. And so that's a very the facilitative kind of decision, right when the environment around you is helping you to share, and that's what I found in my research, where like lots of design factors of digital context of social media like really do make us feel a lot more comfortable revealing, which can backfire, but it can also do a lot of good to your point, And I think, like when we think about how do we make the right decisions, I think an important thing to consider is what is our goal? What's our north star, what's our drive, what's our guiding force? And maybe this woman part of it was to vent catharsis and that so many studies have shown that saying something out loud, writing a diary, saying to the world in a post that helps you. The act of putting your swirling, angry thoughts into words helps you to process them, to feel better. It lowers your blood pressure, it increases weird Like, there's so many benefits. I think a key thing, though, is knowing your goal of why you're doing this right, Like are you doing it? What's your purpose? And is this way of doing it the way of accomplishing your purpose? Because so often we just kind of say things, we run through life without thinking through the decisions of what we're sharing and when we're not sharing.
Speaker 1: But you've written that oversharing is sort of underrated. So how do you tell the difference between reveling that connects us and revealing that sort of performs connection.
Speaker 2: So we treat oversharing as it's this huge social sin, but most of the time it's actually just sharing. And when we think about, like, how do you distinguish between the two, what's in the service of connection versus what's more performative? I think a key part that makes it of the service of connection is well the sincerity of the goal, right and the situational awareness of reading the room. Like, when you think about it all, almost anything is appropriate to share in the right circumstances with the right person at the right time, even like talking about STDs okay, well, doctor's office super appropriate. Maybe late at night when you're joking around about funny things that have gone through your life or funny mishaps with STDs. I don't know, Like you can see that even this thing that's very normally taboo most contexts, in the right place, at the right time, it's entirely appropriate and in fact refreshing. And what I found again and again in my research and in my personal experiences is that the line like between like sharing and oversharing. It's further than you think. So you can go further than you kind of initially think you can in terms of sharing. So my guidance to people is often, these are the words that I live by, reveal a little bit more. A lot of the time. It's not dump everything unannounced, unfiltered, unprocessed, with no prompting. No, no, no, it's what we do at the beginning. It's restros, it's reading the room, it's and it's a little bit more, not a lot more. Like one example might be this is the thing, okay, so this people might often think that's so oversharing feelings in the workplace, right, talking about your feelings. And here's an example of when it's a little bit more and super helpful. So a friend of mine was recently telling me how she was at work and they're sitting around they're in a meeting in person, and one of those meetings that's super frustrating, it's not going anywhere, just kind of exasperated, but like everyone is like holding it in and not expressing her frustration, just kind of pretending. But then she thought, no, I'm going to reveal a little bit more so. She just said, you know, everyone, I'm feeling quite frustrated. So this is something that we don't typically share in a worry like frustration, a strong feeling. Right, we think that's an overshare. But when she said that, she said, the whole meeting changed. Why Because it turns out, if you're feeling something strong and you're in the same I'm experiencing the same reality. Other people are feeling the same thing, and it's a gift to say, to name the thing. And then like it was like this collective sigh of relief and then they made progress.
Speaker 1: So okay, So I have a question about that because I've I know that that feeling, that collective side. It takes one bold person in a group of people to say something, right. I've been at like girls' birthday parties where it's like twelve women and one person like says a big omission. Like I had a friend who the other day told all of us, like, I feel so ashamed. When I was sixteen, I like hooked up with my best friend's boyfriend and I think about it all the time, and it started this amazing conversation and she was so nervous to share. Yeah, yeah, that was beautiful. But we all know each other and trust each other at work, right. I have to tell you my experience, no matter how beautiful the environment is, is that the less you share, the better. So I'm kind of interested in hearing. Yeah, why you know, maybe it's a power dynamic.
Speaker 2: Right, There's a lot of things. Can I ask you if you remember? You might not remember, like, yeah, a time when you feel like you got burned at work by sharing.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of times if I share, people feel close to me, and there's like boundaries that I want to keep at work. Actually, yeah, and so there's sort of a weird uh dynamic there.
Speaker 2: Sometimes yep, totally.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've been like specifically burned badly?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, So okay, so that what you're describing to me is something super healthy, I think, which is the desire to have boundaries. And people differ also in how strong they're like how much they want their personal non work life to be known at work, which is completely fair, and there's we have lots of we differ in that individually. We also differ, like the kind of work we're in differs for how how the comfort in that so again the context changes, but I guess I would it's hard for me to think of an example of when saying something a little bit more revealing in the right context, whatever the norm while respecting the norms right, So whatever the norm is just squeaking a little bit, That's what.
Speaker 1: I mean, Not like ten steps. Because in your book, you really do you make the case that people often regret what they conceal, not what they reveal.
Speaker 2: Totally totally they do. I mean, concealment in and of itself is bad for our health. If we're actively keeping seekers, if we're ruminating like it's bad for our mental and physical health. But when one of the reasons why I think people often have a little bit of reaction to whoe you're telling me to share my feelings sometimes at work, which is totally valid, is because this the skill of sharing, the skill of revealing. Wisely, the learning environment for that is quite hostile when you think of it. What do I mean by that? Well, when you tmi it to verb it, when you cross that line, you get immediate negative visceral feedback. You see cringes discussed on their face, people leaving you. There may be mean things said to you, like it's horrible, and so because of that, we understandably live in fear of a disclosure hangover, right, that gut wrenching feeling that we've said too much and we've you know, it's career suicide, which is super valid. But the problem is that and this was why, Like, as I was reflecting on some of my own experiences and writing the book, I thought about my TMI experiences and I write about them. As you know, it's not just because my brand of oversharing is performative, funny, self deprecating. It was also intentional in the sense that when I was writing the book, I realized even these super horrible TMI moments, when I take the long view, there was a huge benefit. But yet that benefit of opening up you do not get the visceral positive feedback. You just get the something people can cringe, which is what you see, and they can secretly admire you, respect you, your guts, right, And so that makes it really hard for us to learn because we just see the negative. So of course we don't want to do it. And so that's why I think, and this is it's interesting because you know, I've studied these decisions and what we share and what we don't in privacy for twenty years now, and it wasn't until I actually was writing the book that I finally internalized the science and really started using it in my life. Because when I was researching it more, I was like a dispassionate researcher, Right, you don't want to get too involved. But then when I started writing the book, which is much more of a personal and life reflection exercise in interviewing people, that made me realize, Wow, in order to get over this hostile learning environment, you got to do it. You got to force yourself to say a little bit more a lot of the time and then yeah, people might cringe, but also reflect maybe there was a benefit.
Speaker 1: So no matter what the social setting is, yeah, the cost is different if you're with your friends versus your family versus at work. But for instance, at work, the benefit of me saying more is what someone thinks I have a good idea, or maybe I'm a little closer to a person. At work, the cost of me saying too much is like I'm ostracized from the group dynamics, they think my ideas are bad, my boss doesn't trust me with certain information, Like it just feels like it totally outweighs it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, for sure. The risks are very very real, and it's really important to keep abreast of those. And you're right. What I'm saying is that I think those disclosures that really burn you one we overestimate their frequency because of this hostile learning environment. We pay attention to that we don't pay attention to when it goes well, So we actually have a warped sense in our minds going in of the risks. It's not as risky as we perceive it to be, despite the fact that the risks can be catastrophic. But then it's like, oh, is this just something that's nice to have, Like, Okay, we share a laugh, but what if I want to get promoted, Like I'm not going to share career limiting things. And my answer to that is we've actually found that when you share a little bit more, and I give you examples, it actually causes people to trust you more at work. So when you're in a high status position and you share a little bit some of the things you're working on, for example, it doesn't have to be anything about your personal life. It could just be like I'm working on my organizational skills. That's what I mean by a little bit your teams. Like we've shown this with many many leaders in companies. Your teams trust you more, they're more motivated to work for you, they do better work, they give you better, more useful feedback. So like in another study done by a colleague of mine, they asked leaders in companies to you know, the old three sixty feedback, and it's really hard, as you, I'm sure know, as you go up in status, it's harder to get honest feedback. And so what do leaders do. They say, please be honest. I could take it. And in the study, what they did was they tried they got leaders to do something different to ding ding ding reveal, to actually proactively say something that shared, to say something that they were working on. And when they did that, the employees actually gave useful, constructive feedback that literally makes the leaders better. So that's an example of what I mean by how it's not just like the touchy feely connection love, in which I mean I'm a hopeless er, magical I love, but I also happen to work in a very competitive type a place with a lot of status norms, a lot of gender issues, a lot of stuff going on. So I'm the first to agree with you in being like, there is huge risk and we want to mitigate that. But I'm also saying, as someone who is in that climate, I have found huge benefits.
Speaker 1: But does the reverse if your low status does at work? Because yes, I think a lot of people would say, don't show your weaknesses at work.
Speaker 2: Totally, totally, Okay, this is another fabulous question. So yes, you have to be more careful. For sure, you have like a smaller latitude when you are in a low status position if it's a very strong, hierarchy kind of place and a conservative, buttoned up right, like all these contextual factors. But still, here's an example. So suppose you're in a job interview and you get asked the question what's your biggest weakness? Okay, and like, suppose you're pathologically messy, So obviously you're not going to say I'm super messy, Like that's the kind of the interview's done. You're exactly right, right, what do people typically do well? They say, oh, I work too hard, like they do some kind of annoying humble brag thing. Right, that's not good either. In fact, studies have shown that it's the candidates who are a little bit real, not a lot real. Like you're not saying you're pathologically messy, But if you answer, if you're asked that question, what's your biggest weakness? And here's what you could say in an interview, that shows what I'm saying. Well, sometimes I struggle a little bit with organizational skills, but I've actually developed a system so that it keeps me always on track. And I'd be happy to teach that to colleagues if you'd like.
Speaker 1: So it's an honest and yeah.
Speaker 2: In that situation, like that's a really high stakes, right, it's a lot of things. It's honest, it's saying something very real. It's controlling the frame, the controlling how you're communicating it, right, But but the mere fact that you're saying it that models self awareness. When you do that, you're you're perceived as being much more on top of it then if your messiness was just exposed. Right. So, but yeah, there's a there's a whole suite of things that I did there, and that's really important. I mean, it's not just saying I suck at organization.
Speaker 1: Now, So how do you know when you're in the Goldilocks principle, when you're in the sweet spot, can you tell during that moment or if you have to wait until afterwards.
Speaker 2: I love that question. So I you get I think that you gotta like if you're someone who is like reasonably socially skilled, which most of us are, I think, trusting your gut, being observant, watching, looking, looking at people's reactions. So often we're really in our heads, say the thing, and then try to look and observe instead of like criticizing or ruminating. Like I know it's easier said than done, but look around, see listen, So pay attention. And the more you do that, the more you will be attuned to the responses and what's unsaid and what's said and if it went well or not. Of course, over time you get even more feedback. You can also talk to people. I do that with my close friends. I wouldn't do it to someone who interviewed me, but my close friends I'll be like, hey, was that too much? Or what if I was I holding back? What if I said that with it right? So it's I think a really important thing on the Goldilocks principle is you there's no absolute because depends on so many things. Who's in the room, what the norms are, what country are in, what your goals are, whether people slept that day, whatever, all these things. It's always moving right. And so that's why I think being really sensitive to observing the responses and then afterwards thinking about it being like reflecting and experimenting. So you have to switch it up to get a variance in how people respond so that you can really tell. One of the things I love to say people and I practice in my own life is if you never feel like you made someone cringe, if you never feel like you got to the line across the line, you're not doing it enough. You're not going far enough, Like you got to get to the line to know what the range is. And most of us like a massively restrict but why you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So because I feel like, and I guess it's funny, is you're talking to a person who is like, I'm a very measured, thoughtful type of person, and I'm laughing at some of what you're saying. Because my mom is an oversharer by nature, and people love it about her. Like my mom is when she walks in a room, she is.
Speaker 2: Beloved, love people to meet your mother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys love each other. But she will tell like if there is a woman who is dealing with a weird thing on her toe, she will tell you about the time she dealt with the weird thing on her toe.
Speaker 2: Like she has no she just wants.
Speaker 1: To feel normal. And it's been a gift in my life because I think she does it on purpose with me, Like she'll, you know, go to the doctor and say, Danielle, I just want to tell you about dense breass, like I have dense bress. Here's what it is, you know. And so she's trying to share me too.
Speaker 2: I have dense breast too, thank you.
Speaker 1: See, I feel colossic, but I'm the opposite. So I'm wondering is this a personality trait? Because and I will add to this, my dad and I yell at her and say, like you over shared in a scenario where it was harmful to us or harmful to herself, and she doesn't care.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, yeah, I get it. I get it. Okay. So there's I've been taking notes because, as you know, my mind wanders constantly. I'm so the first thing about the goal, right, Like I think I love that you're pressing me on that because it's like, what is the goal? The goal like your mom to make people feel comfortable because she also must derive joy from making people feel comfortable and safe, and not all people feel get to derive the joy out of that, but she does, and so that's that's good. But like for me, I'm obviously completely sold of like connection, love, friendship, Like but what if what if your goal is not? I guess I'm saying, like, why wouldn't you want to do it? You are like two aliens trying to talk to each other, like why wouldn't you want to do something that helps you build, nerve and sustain nourishing, incredibly vital friendships, deep love and romance, influence as a leader, well being health like your physical health, Like why wouldn't you? How are you not sold?
Speaker 1: So in certain contexts, I do. Like my best friends from college, I tell them everything and I want them to feel normal about their thoughts and vice versa, and I have no but I trust them implicitly, right, And I just trust me trust.
Speaker 2: Because you've been doing this. But I see what I know, but it's not for everybody, So I think so can I just tweak that a bit. I think it is for everybody, but the goal is not. It's not that every person I meet I want to be friends with I can't sustain that and they can't either. In fact, there's a very I really only have like seven really really close friends.
Speaker 1: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, but like I've pruned it recently because it's too many.
Speaker 1: And you know who got the hats.
Speaker 2: I know if they're not listening, but they well, so this is something that I did not share. It's not that I this is something not to say, Like I didn't say, hey, I'm pruning you. I just waited a beat to respond to things, and then it just kind of I feel like that's the kinder way. And and who knows, maybe they're relieved because maybe they're pruning me too. It's probably mutual in many cases. But but but I get My point is, like for your friends, revealing is central to friendship. If you want to have influence in the workplace, it can help. If you're feeling you don't have influence and you want more, some strategic disclosure can help you when you do it well, when you practice and you.
Speaker 1: Well being like that's that one's pretty I like the idea of strategic well being.
Speaker 2: I think, well, it is pretty honest. I mean, the friendship is unsaleable to you. I mean to me, what you're saying is like, yeah, it's great, but I can't do it to everyone because I don't want to do it to everyone because I don't I don't want to be and I can't be friends with everyone. I love boundaries. I love boundaries are amazing. I love that. Like my assistant doesn't know a lot about me, Like that's awesome. I love that. And she loves that too. I'm sure like it's weird to like it's kind to to withhold often it's kind. So I'm totally with you.
Speaker 1: So do you feel because like you call this the disclosure to level a lot, and I like that phrasing. And I've been sort of like cheeky for you. But what do you think people like me are afraid of? Will happen if they reveal too much? And please be bad?
Speaker 2: So I think, I mean, as a nerdly decision scientist, I've done a lot of studies on this, and what I find is when I ask people disclosure dilemmas, So think of it like, Okay, do you tell your boss you have adhd well, I could get accommodation, but I could get fired, like sadly, you know, it's the world. That's a real dilemma. Do you tell your spouse about that old fling don't know? Do you tell your teenage kids about your partying ways? These are real dilemmas. And the thing is when I ask people whatever the dollar they're facing, when I say, okay, now think about it, talk to me out loud, what are you thinking about? The number one thing that people think about are the risks of revealing. They're like if I, like, suppose someone at work you had a brilliant idea and you hear them talking to the boss and they're like, oh, it's a group ideas what they say, and like a part of you dies inside, right, and you know, the old me wouldn't even consider saying anything. And if I did, I'd be like, well, of course I'm not going to say anything. They'll think I'm petty, it will be bad for my relationship. I'll think I'm insecure and all these things and those are super super valid, right, But the problem is that we only think of the risk of revealing because I even say to people like anything else, anything else. So you've talked about the risk of revealing anything else, like it does not come to mind. But then when I say, okay, can you tell me about some of the risks of not saying something well in this scenario, then you're like, ooh, okay. Then it's a total different frame that makes you think differently. Well, if I don't say something, I'm going to be passive aggressive. I'm not going to feel heard. I'm going to ruminate. Maybe I'll be passive aggressive. That's bad for the relationship too. So you start seeing there's risks on both sides. And then you might think, and I'm just going to get carried away because I love revealing. You might then be like, that might let you leap to the bona fide benefits of revealing. You might say, wow, you know, if I could figure out how to say this, which there's lots and lots of coaching out there, books on how to say hard things. If I could figure out how to have the convo, I think maybe that would be good for my relationship because they would respect me more, they would admire that I had the guts. Maybe they like I've actually been for this dilemma, and so I can speak that I did say it and it ended up strengthening the relationship. It doesn't always happen. There's certainly risks still.
Speaker 1: In what dynamic in a family work dynamic.
Speaker 2: And this was with a peer of mine who we were working on a paper. It was my idea, and I you know, in academ it's so annoying you have to like fill out when you submit a journal an article, you have to fill out like credit lines of who did this? I hate, I hate the attribution of credit like that. I think that is petty. But given that we were doing it, didn't say my name on the idea, and so this was someone who was who was the same staff as me. Would I have said it to someone higher status? To me? The math comes out if I do this analysis, I call it a full Ford quadrant reckoning the risks of revealing, the risks of not revealing, the benefits of revealing, and the benefits of not revealing all four things. So I would it come out the same way if it was higher status. But that's me, like I'm drinking the kool aid, so to speak.
Speaker 1: What was in your quadrant?
Speaker 2: The risks of revealing what I would put there is people might think I'm petty, the person's going to hate me, bad relationship. The risks of holding that reveling yeah, are. I will feel unseen, unheard, I will ruminate. I will be mad at myself for not respecting myself, for not speaking up, for letting it slide. I will think I'm not a good role model to people for not speaking up. And critically, because relationships are so important to me, I saw that holding back also had relatedtional risks. It's not just speaking up, it's either way. Then I move to the benefits of revealing, and I thought, oh, if I do this the right way, if I can find the right words, maybe this person will respect me because I had the guts to talk about it. Also, it will reveal something about that person to me. Like you got to think, if you have a reasonable conversation with someone, if they're cool, if there's someone you want to keep working with, they will listen and not like get pissed off at you. So that will be informative data. If I want to continue the relationship, we could get stronger. And then the benefit of holding back is just like, well, this is a really hard day and I just don't want to face this today. And that's fine too, Like I don't have the time for it, not now, or I'm never going to work with this person again, so it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Like also legit, So tell me when you're coming in too hot with somebody new. Like in a friendship, you talk about building a friendship is like building a fire and you're hitting the right balance between TMI and t L I too little information? Will you break down the best way to spark a fire and friendship.
Speaker 2: That I love this? So start small. One example might be, so start small with a small gesture, small offering of revealing something small. Give you a specific example, and see what they do. If they're receptive, feeling warm, available, socially receptive, they're going to reciprocate. I dare say, it's like instinctual to do that. They're going to reciprocate if they're if they're available, and then you're going to just keep kind of going back and forth, reveally, reveally, reciprocating. There have been beautiful studies on this, where in fact, the researcher Arthur Aronson, he wanted to study friendship, but it was annoying getting friends to show up together at the lab at the same time. Like it's hard enough to schedule one undergrad to come in, it's hard enough to get like pairs of friends to show up. So it was kind of a logistical nightmare. So for that but now reason, he came up with this task that is now kind of famous called the thirty six Questions to fall in Love. It's often called on the New York Times, but really it was made to create artificial friendships. It sounds so unromantic that way in the lab. And so what he did was he came up with these thirty six questions that start super shallow and they get deeper and deeper and deeper. And he paired people together who didn't know each other, and he said, go through this question one back and forth. You answer the first, I answer the first, You answer the second, I answer the second. And when he did that, people became friendly with each other relative to when they just did small talk in the other group. They said, one fell swoop it. So one person's going to go through all thirty six answers and their answer all thirty six, and then the other person's going to answer all thirty six when that group that the one fell swoopers, they did not feel close. So it really is the process of doing it together, a fut step gradually deepening together. And because that's how you build trust, right, I call myself a recovering privacy expert because for years I literally stood on stage lecturing people about how bad we are and making decisions about our personal data. How bad we are at privacy, Like, shame on us, we suck so bad at it. And that's true, Like I've done lots of research on how people can be tricked into sharing too much online and websites that are going to abuse their data they can, we can take, we give it all the way to markets. That's true. But over the years I've come to appreciate that that is not wrong, but it's not right either. It's way too narrow right. And because as I was lecturing about telling people we suck at privacy in my personal life life, did I have all my passwords on a computer on a notepad on my computer? Yes, those titled passwords did I was? I giving and still continue to give all of my data to BuzzFeed quizzes like to find out what my baby will look like? If I married a celebrity, yes, like so like I was living this double life, so it was uncomfortable for one to be being inking group. But then there was a study I ran that changed everything for me. That really shocked me because it showed just how much we are. I dare say, wired to prefer people who open up relative to people who are really guarded. So in this study, it was a thought experiment. So as you know, I'm a decision scientist, and so one of the things I do or I specialize in, is I set up like difficult decision quandaries for people and then if I've designed the experiment, well, the answer will illuminate something fundamental. So okay, so listeners, if you were in this study, what I'd be doing is I'd be asking you which of two people you would rather date. And suppose you talk to these people, you interview them, and at one point you asked you talk to the first person and you ask them have you ever had any STDs? And they say, I have had so many STDs. I guess they're sdis Now, sorry, I've had so many sdis like I can't even keep track of them. Like I have I've discovered.
Speaker 1: New ones like, oh my god, they're like you.
Speaker 2: The other person you ask them the same question and they say, I'm not answering, And I know you don't want to date either, But if you had to choose, that's what I specialized in, difficult decisions. So if you had to choose, would you choose the revealer, the person that came clean about the bad stuff, or the person who's the hyder who says I'm not doing this.
Speaker 1: Wow, I can't believe I'm choosing the revealer, right, I.
Speaker 2: Know what's wrong with you, what's wrong with everyone, but there's something really right about that. And so I was shocked at first, right, like, how can you prefer someone who admits the worst possible thing. Well, it turns out that, of course, revealing is a really foundational part of connecting and human nature, and it's so important to us to connect, to create trust, create bonds, and self disclosures is the way we do that. That's so important that when someone abstains from that activity, like in a really conspicuous way, like I'm not answering, when they're a hider, we view them with contempt, We view them as untrustworthy, so much so that we'd rather date someone, we'd rather hire someone. We'd rather sit next to the subway beside someone who's like says shady stuff, relative to someone who like is like completely conspicuously withholding. So that really shocked me is that it's not to say we should always volunteer. A lot of oversharing is like unfiltered failure to read the room, just volunteering crazy shit. But if you're explicitly asked something and the answer might not be so positive, don't saliently withhold. So that was shocking to me. The second study that shocked me was a study in neuroscience where what they did was they my colleagues put people in a brain scanner, an fMRI machine. So we know an fMRI machine when you do task in it tells the researchers the areas of your brain that are activated. And so what they did was they brought people in and they had half of the people just answer normal trivia questions as they scan their brain. The other half of the people they gave them trivia questions about themselves. So like, if you were in the scanner'd be like, what's your favorite ice cream flavor? Or what's your favorite movie? Or do you have an enemy like these kinds of things. And what they found is that the people who got to self disclose, the pleasure centers of their brain were activated. So that means like the same areas that are active when we have sex, when we eat something delicious, are active when we do this thing of personal self disclosure, which told me that this is like intrinsically rewarding and important because nature has a way of making what's important and good for us pleasurable. Right.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you about this in the context of dating, because I think and even in relationship, it's it's where a lot of people think about disclosure for the first time, if you're on a first date.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: I went on a date years ago with somebody who was like, I just I'm like sick of dating. I just want to put it all out there. And he told me like, here's my background with dating, and here's my trauma and here's the and I was like, whoa, buddy, I'm so freak Tom. I TM, I like, you can't mess up the bill that you've just taught me. You need to got that together, and.
Speaker 2: So many of these things you've been talking about. The great examples you've had as we've been chatting, are failures of like it's too big of a step, Like the colleague who comes and says something to you and you're like, I don't want to share. Of course, you don't want to share because you don't want to share when someone's like gone way too far from the get go.
Speaker 1: It's like, right on a feel makes you feel weird. So how about on dating apps in terms of your research? Like, I'll give you an example. I I'm on the apps and I had a friend call me and say that her friend had just tried this and she was recommending I do it where I have photos and I have a few lines and that's basically it. I'm very concise in there, yeap. And she said, do the opposite, be super specific, say everything you are and everything you're wanting, and see who comes your way.
Speaker 2: I would not advise that. The reason I wouldn't advise that is because I think you're going to get people who are spending way too much time looking at the apps, which is a bad sign, and people who are like then they feel like they know you because they've read this, and then they get infatuated and then they're like but they don't actually know you. You have to meet the person to know them. So what I found, and this isn't just like what I found. There's been studies, so let me six to data. There's studies on like, so, how many personality traits should you reveal about yourself? Like, should you reveal all your traits? Are just a few of them? So the answer to this question is you should only reveal a few of them, and you should reveal the ones that are unique but also relatable, so things that kind of a positive obviously for the most part, or you could have something a little edgy in there, but you want to have fewer traits, like maybe like three personality traits. Because there have been studies where they did this. They actually varied how the number of traits people put on their profiles. And what they found is that when you're first looking and finding, if you're interested in the person, you're looking for points of similarity largely, and so if you see something a point where you're dissimilar that's super off putting dissimilarity. Dissimilarity looms larger that like, dissimilarity is more of a turnoff than similarity is a turn on. So it's actually we're looking for similarity, which is great, and if we see dissimilarity, we're like, oh, they're not for me. And so the more traits you put, the more chances someone will find something dissimilar right, just probably statistically speaking, the less likely it's gonna fascinating, Right, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: True in real life, like, yeah, we're in conversation.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, like this is this is in the initial stages right over time, like it's not so so fragile, so instable, but like in those first and these are amazing studies with real people, real life, real profiles, and then like rigorous experiments to back it up. So yeah, that's like a pretty clear and I lived by it myself and in fact, when I saw my husband, I met my husband on Tinder, so it can work. It's ironic.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: The reason I I and I was looking for a long term relationship. The reason why I know it's hilarious. It's so ironic because I the reason we met on Tinder was because Tinder, at the time I don't know anymore, but had this setting where if you paid whatever the premium was, you could make it so that the only people that could see be seem my profile are the people that I've swiped right on. I have to swipe right to show up out, which was essential to me because I was teaching MBA stues. I was like the same age as my students then, so I'm like, I cannot have them.
Speaker 1: Seeing me on so smart.
Speaker 2: So that and it was ironically Tinder the only affidab that future.
Speaker 1: Wow, And that was really good reveal because I found that so endearing.
Speaker 2: It's funny because my husband is kind of embarrassing. People are like, where did you meet? I'm like Tinder, But I remember being very impressed by his profile because he's like his name was C. Like his name is Colin, but it just had C. And then he had like three awesome, alluring and relatable facts.
Speaker 1: I just was like, tell me more hilarious. Yeah. So, when I was twenty one, I was dating an older guy. I think he was probably like thirty three, much to my parents' schagrin. They hated it, but I was so infatuated with him and I said I love you first. It was the only time in my life in a romantic setting that I had said I love you first, and he didn't say it back. Said something like thank you. So I remember watching Sex in the City and they had this great line that said, I love you has the shelf life of milk. If it does it, if it's not reciprocated and all, it's spoiled, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that. That feels very true.
Speaker 1: I thought so, and I started thinking, Okay, I have a week. If he doesn't say it back, I'm out. So I think a lot of people you probably didn't know he did say it back, but I don't think he meant it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I also think that. So now I'm getting really nerdy on this because then I'm like, wait, maybe we should walk this back and be like, no, if they don't say it right away, then it's out, because it's like, surely if you love someone like, you're not going to just all of a sudden in the week, like what's wrong? Why can't you say it now? So maybe it's right. I think you're right, Neat it has a couple of hours.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's hilarious, So tell me about I love you, because I think that a lot of people feel like that's a disclosure, and that's so nerve wracking.
Speaker 2: It's a that's a really big one.
Speaker 1: Well, is the fear that I love you is that we said too much or that it revealed an imbalance.
Speaker 2: So most people fear saying I love you, and they're scared because thank you, right, that's the worst, right, Like totally, it's like the kind of the worst rejection we could get. And we're exquisitely sensitive to social rejection. Like I'm sure if we scan our brains with people who are not being requited, that like the pain areas of the brain would like up, like it's super bad. Yes, so obviously because of that, we're scared of it. But what I have learned by doing research on this is that this is another example of like hostile learning environment, Like, yes, that risk is real, and yes it sucks, but first of all, we're overestimating the likelihood that they're going to reject us. I think, in fact, I've done surveys on this, and I've asked people, hey, if you said I love you to someone, When you said I love you to someone, did they say it back? And eighty six percent of the people said yes, they set it back. And so for me, when I was in my mind making me feel better, you know, for me, just for me. I'm such a pessimist, and maybe I don't know if it says something that I don't have game or something. But like before I did that study, I'm like, oh, it's going to be like twenty percent, twenty percent of the time people are going to say but eighty six percent, I'm like, they'll be those i'd bet on that. I'd bet on that ads are good, right, odds are good. So but you don't find it to suage because it's just so terrifying.
Speaker 1: No, because I was in the fourteen percent, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know you were in the right. Yeah. So hostile learning environment, Yeah, you were in the fourteen percent.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So here's the other thing is that if you think about two situations. One situation is you love the person you fall in love, you say it and they don't say it back. Hm. That sucks. Okay. If you had to choose, okay one one one sucking is you know where I'm going? Which would you choose? Yes?
Speaker 1: Well, because you're right, the risk of not saying it is.
Speaker 2: Worth the thing that's you're right.
Speaker 1: That's actually so okay. Now I get now, I get it. If it if it hurts too much to not say the thing. It's important to say the thing, but if you can get away with not saying the thing, if you're me, you just don't say the thing.
Speaker 2: And if you're you, you say at any rate drop hints or I mean no, like I'm still a working progress, Like I I talk you know it from the book, Like I was too chicken to tell my husband that I love it, like when I was in love with them for a long time, and then when he said it to me, I said, me, you too, Like I just like I don't know what to do, Like I wasn't a proper reciprocation.
Speaker 1: So for sure you write in your book that everyone has a story, but we're the only ones who can tell them. Oh yeah, So what do we lose if we never share our story with the world?
Speaker 2: I know, I mean we lose. Like this is actually comes back to the first question, because I know I said I had two in mine. The one that I blurted was the fun one about the mascot, but like the other one was about life and death and how some of my like my father has Alzheimer's and we will be losing. I mean, it's the slow process of losing. And I'm reminded of that every time I see him. But also a friend of mine just lost their father, and so it's really really to the same illness, and so it's really really salient to me of this importance of like getting it out of him right because it's gone. And then like your children, the wisdom that the experiences that you have, you need to share them for people to learn and use them and benefit from them. So I think this idea of like heritage and memory, they just kind of become more and more important, I think. And another thought that I had was on this side, I've been reflecting because you know, on parents and losing them and how one of the beautiful things about mothers, well my mother, but I think maybe people share this with their mothers too, is that there's my mother is the only person in the world. And I have lots of people that I love, She's the only person in the world that I can She always wants to know all of my successes, every single thing, Like any nice email, like I'll like forward her afe you and she'll be like keep them coming. She's like I want and she like always wants to do. And another friend of mine just lost her mother and She's like, that's what I miss about her, is like she was the only person in the world that really really wanted to know every single every single celebration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's beautiful. That's what girlfriends are for. We have to fill in those.
Speaker 2: Gaps completely completely. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Have some funny rapid fire for you. And also thank you for sharing all of that, because I think that's incredibly relatable. Yeah, okay. The number one reveal that is in fact tm.
Speaker 2: I well, illegal stuff like.
Speaker 1: I murdered saw And that's really a good call. I had a boyfriend who met my parents for the first time and told a story about how he like pushed a car over like a mountain or something back when he was in high school. And my parents were like, Danielle, you need to run. Why did he tell They didn't care about the fact as much as they were like, why would he tell.
Speaker 2: Your parents that?
Speaker 1: Sting? Yeah, yeah, okay. A secret is only dangerous when dot.
Speaker 2: Oh, it exposes something that hurts someone or puts you at risk.
Speaker 1: The thing people most often undershare.
Speaker 2: Their feelings.
Speaker 1: The worst place to reveal something serious first date, the hardest thing to say at work.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of hard things, I'm overwhelmed, I'm pregnant, lots of things. Maybe I'm pregnant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a reveal that almost always builds intimacy.
Speaker 2: I like you.
Speaker 1: Something people should never reveal in a job interview STDs.
Speaker 2: That's just because that's where my mind is. But like, no, like that they're a jerk, that they have that, they're like that you're a jerk. So if you're a jerk, don't reveal that.
Speaker 1: Hilarious. The cure for a disclosure hangover.
Speaker 2: Is often more revealing. If you said something that you feel as cringey or off putting to someone, you could stop by their office later on or their cube and be like, how are you feeling?
Speaker 1: What is a question we should stop casually asking.
Speaker 2: How are you doing when we don't actually want to know the answer.
Speaker 1: Love that answer a public reveal you think people misunderstood.
Speaker 2: Hmm, this may be unpopular, but where my mind went to social media and Justine Sacho the really horrible joke she made about you know, I don't even want to repeat it, but like making a glib comment about HIV. And I don't think she's a bad person. I don't think she meant I just think she said something stupid and glib and didn't read the room and she shouldn't be like canceled because of.
Speaker 1: That is oversharing underrated or overrated?
Speaker 2: Oh underrated?
Speaker 1: Finish this sentence. Please, if you want to feel closer to someone, reveal blank.
Speaker 2: How you're feeling. I know that's kind of lame.
Speaker 1: But something more women should feel allowed to reveal.
Speaker 2: Pregnancy I wish, I mean in an ideal world, an ideal world, and also like struggles with infertility, struggles with like feelings on popular feelings. Oh, another one is postpartum. Like when my baby came out, I didn't feel love, and I was like, what's wrong with me? I just felt curiosity and wonderment and awe and I need some sleep. I didn't know the person, but like I felt ashamed that I didn't feel love. And that's fine. I mean, now, of course I'm Google Gaga. But everybody's different.
Speaker 1: What's a book you read that changed your life, something you think everybody should read.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's so many. One of them that's changed my life is the book called Difficult Conversations. There was another. Oh, one that I'm reading right now, which is amazing. Is unreasonable hospitality it's so good.
Speaker 1: It's so good. Yes, it's not so good that I want to go spend eight hundred dollars at eleven Madison Park Tasting Menu. But I love the book.
Speaker 2: I love the book. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: What's something every woman should try once?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, something every woman should try once? Well, I recently went snowbollbiling and that was cool. I almost flipped us over, but love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doctor John, thank you for your time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day, to have a good day. I'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Stop stop, Shop Shop