Speaker 1: Welcome to my show. I'm Rashon McDonald, a host of Money Making Conversations Masterclass, where we encourage people to stop reading other people's success stories and start planning your own. Now, you don't want to miss an episode, so please take a moment right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversations Masterclass. It's free. You can follow me on iHeartRadio, app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your podcast. New Money Making Conversations Masterclass episodes drop daily. I want to keep you on alert because my guests provide tips on how you can uplift your community, improve your financial planning, motivation, or advice on how to be a successful entrepreneur. Now, let's get this podcast started. My guest has an eagle eye when it comes to reviewing bad contracts. Don't sign a contract that can ruin your dream, and she is a trademark registring expert. She has successfully integrated the demanding roles of wife, mother, TV and film producer, writer, actress, playwright and author. Please welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. America's favorite entertainment attorney, Jayleen Mack. How you doing, Jayleen?
Speaker 2: Hey? Hey, Hey, wow for having me back. Look, well, I really want to say thank you for having little old me on your big old platform.
Speaker 1: There you go. Well, you know it's time to get down the business of you of just personally. They always tell you, I have a relationship with individuals who I bring on the show. From a standpoint of my relationship with entertainment attorney Jayleen Mack, she has personally handled all of my trademarks that I've done throughout my managing of Steve Harvey and other clients and business associates I've had. That relationship has been over at least twenty years, wouldn't you say, Jayleen.
Speaker 2: Yes, when did you open up hip hop? No?
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm talking talking about I'm talking about legally hip hop was thirty two years. That's thirty two years. That's thirty two year. I'm talking about when you finally got out of college, you know, with that plaque of I'm being a I'm a lawyer officially, all that good stuff. Then we started coming to me with Sean, give me a shot, give me a shot, I can do this, I can do this, And I gave you your shot, and we've been I've been turning you for registrations for my trademarks and how important is it just to do it right when it comes to trademark and protecting your brand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but just to correct you, I started doing legal work for you back then when you had hip hop. I'm just trying to take you back. That's how old you are, not me.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, thank you, thank you very much. That's absolutely because because like I said, look, everybody a little history on me. Nineteen ninety two, I had a comedy club called very popular comic club in Houston, Texas called the Hip Hop Comedy Stop. Everybody played that club, and even that Beyonce and Destiny's Child performed at that club. In fact, I brought them on stage one of the very first performances with that club. But it was a who's who of comedy entertainment that came through there, as well as celebrities you know from you know, the Willie D's Garface. Everybody who's who who in the Houston market as well as a tour through town dropped into that comedy club. And that's why I met Jayleen and her friends. They really were rare instrumental in making my club a success and keeping the doors open as they say, keep the lights on, and that relationship that's about a relationship. You know, you developed something you don't know what is going to mean five years or ten years from now. And now we're on this show today talking about a career that is basically international when it comes from your for your legal service, could you tell some of the people that you represent now or contractually or can you say that on my show?
Speaker 2: Well, I represent a lot of in the general scheme of things, actors, producers, writers, directors, arthurs, playwrights, film producers, television producers. As far as some clients that I've represented that mind me saying obviously I've done leave a work for you, Greg Carter, who's a filmmaker. I've done work for Kim Barell, Steve Harvey. Uh, just really tons of people, even athletes.
Speaker 1: Now, when you when I called to Day about setting up what this show is going to be about, and you said, Miean, I really want to talk about the lure of the bad deal. How people are will scam you, even from an entrepreneurial standpoint, even from a film production standpoint, into how when you say the lure of the bad deal, explain them all these exactly what that is and how they can be trapped by.
Speaker 2: So, if you are a writer and you have a script and you've been shopping for either a producer or a financier, or you're a producer who has a script and you've been shopping with the financier for some money to get your movie made. Sometimes you'll come across people who are not in the industry who want to be in the industry, or they claim to be in the industry, but their credentials are not quite up to par, and so they may represent that they have access to money or endless amounts of money, and they entice that to have a conversation. Right, And sometimes it's about really the association of a project that might put them on the map as opposed to the other way around. Right. And I say that because I've seen money people or alleged money people offer funding and it'll be you know, it could be hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. But the more you dig, the more you realize they can't show proof of funds, or the more you dig you find out this person isn't legitimate because this business is big, but it's small at the same time. So if you ask enough question, or if you dig and you see that the person you're dealing with doesn't have a digital footprint right right, You can't go to IMDb, You can't go to LinkedIn to find anything. Nothing out there. Right You might look up the name and the face doesn't match, or their credentials herely are similar to some executive right at Netflix or whatever. I've seen all of that happen. But my point of identifying, just in a general sense of people with a bad lure that ve due diligence is everything.
Speaker 1: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. No need for you to do me a favor right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversation. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor, follow or subscribe Money Making Conversations. Welcome back to Money Making Conversations master Class, hosted by me Rashawn McDonald. Let's get back into it. I've seen it all, you know when you do that, and I've been fortune, unfortunate and fortunate to see the good and the bad of that, and it all comes down to people excitement. They always always tell people, don't get in this business with the lottery mentality, meaning that moment that that somebody's offered you is going to be the one, the one that makes you a start, the one that gives you a hit movie, the one they're gonna make you rich. It's when you have that lottery mentality. It's when you fall victim to these type of scams on a regular basis. Because somebody can pull up in a in a in a Rolls Roars that could be rented. They can they can walk you to a building untell you they're gonna shoot the movie here. May not even have a relationship with that building. But because you and the Rolls Rars, they've they've taken you to a nice restaurant and now all of a sudden, now you now they're gonna tell you they need a deposit. They're gonna need a deposit from you. Now, Okay, they sold, they're supposed to supply the funding that, but they're asking you for a deposit, so they're gonna put in they say xcro escrow. Escrow is a dangerous turn because if you don't have control of that signature on the escrow account then gets what they're gonna control the money. And so it's really important that in this business. And I'm bringing an expert like attorney Jayleen mack On here to let you know that I can say that, but she can verify that correct early.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm gonna tell you what I've seen as the latest trend. Some company represents themselves as a production company with relationships to all the networks, and they'll say that their contact at ABC Company wants to buy a particular script from some producer. Right there's already a dollar amount. The script hasn't been received by that executive nor read, but there's already an offer on the table. And the middle company, the production company, is telling this producer with the script that you need to sign this contract attached to us and uh.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: We'll be able to close this deal for you right.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And they never put and never are all three parties in one room, if that makes any sense to you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you keep talking to the same person and they keep talking to the other person that you never see.
Speaker 2: That you never see, and the way the contract reads, you have to assign copyright to that script, to that production company, which.
Speaker 1: Means they now have rights to your project. Here there clearly now, what you don't ever want to do is give away rights to your project, and so when you try to get the rights back, you don't have rights anymore. So your dream project, your dream idea, you're you know your I've been working on this thing for fifteen, ten years. Five years. Idea came to me a miracle of God, moment told me to write this book. It's gone because you've signed away your rights. And I'm gonna tell you something. You can't get it back. You cannot get it back. Those deals that they have you signed an iron clad And that's why she's telling you. When I say she, I'm talking at attorney Jayleen Mack is telling you that do your research. Don't get so excited that this is the moment of moments. Don't ignore other people telling you, hey, are you moving too fast? What do you know about this person? Listen to people who have common sense that will lead you from making a bad mistake. And that's which leads what you say into bad contracts. And you see a lot, unfortunately, you see a lot of bad contracts in your life. When it comes to entertainers.
Speaker 2: Why is that, Well, some people just don't put the money aside, you know, put a budget aside to hire a lawyer. And it's because, well, you know, I've google some information on Google, or I saw a template on the internet, and I feel like, I know it nothing. I don't need a layer to take a look at this deal. That's one approach, right. I've seen also cases where they hire the wrong lawyer to rede the deal. So, uh, and even can you telling.
Speaker 1: Me somebody who is a corporate lawyer over here trying to do an entertainment contractor somebody who's a patent lawyer trying to do a contract for a movie, a contract for a television or talent contract. And so so all your cousins, who got this good rate is gonna do go, do you a solid and do this. But what got me was you saying Rashan. Their people go online, they will download the contract as a template. They google to contract for actors, a contract for writers, a contract for TV or fan producers, and they say that's their contract.
Speaker 2: Right, right. And the thing with template, it might be a good starting point, but it's not necessarily where you're in, right, So you have to know how to navigate the language. You have to know what's missing. You have to know what's there, whether or not, whether or not that's applicable to your situation, and the best best thing to do if you are not a season producer with the experience that maybe over time you've seen enough good contracts because you've had representation right, and maybe you're using the same template and and so and and and pretty much everything's the same except maybe the compensation and the and the actors. You might be able to make some changes and get away with it, but rarely is any contract or repeat deal right to the t R. So, in my opinion, even if you feel like, well, I can draft the initial contract and I feel like it looks pretty good, I would still hire my lawyer to lay last eyes on it, right right, that's the best thing to do.
Speaker 1: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back for more money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to Money Making Conversations Masterclass, hosted by me Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversation master Class continues online at Moneymaking Conversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, x and Instagram. Well it's starting with number one. You said identify your project.
Speaker 2: Please explain, so I can tell you we're specifically talking about film and television as far as the entertainment industry, but really this applies to music and other areas of entertainment. But it also applies for any entrepreneur what we're talking about. So even if you're, you know, selling candles, a lot of this will be beneficial to you. So so when it comes to projects, obviously in the film world, you want to identify or used shooting a movie, a feature film, or a short. Will this be a scripted project or unscripted? In the television world, for instance, is it a documentary? You just want to identify what is it that I'm trying to do, because that's going to go into how you develop that concept. If you're a hire writer, if you're going to write it yourself, this is going to lead to how much money I need. So the first thing is to identify what it is you're trying to do.
Speaker 1: And that's really really important as if you're an entrepreneur because of the fact that I have a company and I have a lot of people with a lot of products, I have a lot of people different different small business visions, but they don't know what the point of view of the vision, of the point of view of the business, and so identify your project. Number two is make sure you have a plan.
Speaker 2: Yes, like across the board, in any business, it is best to have a business plan. Even if you are financing your endeavor personally, you still want to have a roadmap, and that's what the business plan will do for you, and particularly people in film and television that are independent producers. You also want to have a finance plan. So not just a business plan to give you the roadmap of how to get your project done, but a finance plan will help you identify where the money comes from, when it comes in, how it's going to be applied, how are you going to get your project done, on the development and concept, through sale and distribution of it. And again that helps with any entrepreneur.
Speaker 1: I have to agree with that on so many levels. I get so mad at people. I see the word mad people coming. I got this idea. First of all, ideas not registered. It's just an idea. It's not flushed out, you know, as the character developments in the projects not flushed out. I don't know how many characters you got, who's the lead? Have you developed a relationship with a star? Who's to start the project? It's just a great idea to get mad. It's a great idea. Okay, I'm not saying it's not great idea. I'm just telling you help me out because right now it's an idea. I can't build on your your dream if I don't understand it. What's your plan? And that's also people do that with business. They want to I got some biscuits. They're the best biscuits in the world. Okay, how you gonna how are you gonna manufacture these biscuits? If if a thousand people walk through that door today, how you gonna manage what you're gonna do? How many employees you're gonna have?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I know that for a fact out of comedy club. Comedy club started with just my relatives manning the doors. They used to do it for free. Right then all of a sudden, I started making a little money. Then they wanted checks. I didn't budget to pay my relatives. I didn't budget for that. I didn't have a plan and play it. I just wanted to tell jokes, invite people in for ten dollars, which eventually I realized that the state wanted day tax money, so I would It wasn't getting ten dollars. I didn't have a plan. So when she talks about both ways, she can talk about the entertainment industry, but it all comes back to business business now. Number three is former team girl. I got something to say after you talk about this form aighteen. That's number three. Number one was identify your project. Number two make sure you have a plan. Number three form A teen.
Speaker 2: So so important. I just made this comment at the essence best talking to the audience. If you're a producer, you don't have to be the smartest producer. You don't have to know everything. Every experience is going to be something you learn from. But if you are putting together a team, make sure you build a team that makes you the best producer you can be. Right, So, you surround yourself with talent. You surround yourself with people who know more than you. Right. You also surround yourself with people who are not yes people, because you need to know the pitfalls, you need to know the pros and cons, and you need people around you they help you make the best business decisions you can make keeping in mind the best interest for your project. And not only that, not just your projects, but you have investors to pay back. So it's super important that you use to on yourself with other good producers, with a good lawyer, a good accountant, a good pr team find the best scenario when it comes to a financier that makes sense for your project. If you're going to get money from other places, and I can go on, but the key is put together a good team.
Speaker 1: You better believe it. I didn't have an accountant, I didn't have an HR person. I told my wife we pulled money out of retirement at the time, savings didn't have a budget attacked. Let me not jump the gun because I'm about to say budget and that's number four, prepare a budget. So I don't want to slide into that too much without you comment on it. Because if you're on a former team, you gotta prepare a budget. Talk to you about that attorney map absolutely.
Speaker 2: So if you know what it is you're trying to do right, Let's say you're trying to make a movie, produce a product or project, you obviously have to have somebody who's good at putting budgets together. Who can identify the needs and services and how much things cost and the best route to take to get these things done, to put a budget together. So it's not a matter of saying, well, I want to shoot a movie and I think a thousand dollars is enough, right, you know, obviously you want somebody experience in what things cost, and that is a line producer in the film business that'll do that for you, because it's important to know if your movie has special effects, is it has special video effects? Are there cars being blown up or is there a car change? Are there fight seems to be choreographed? Everything has a costs, hotels, locations, feeding people, you got crew, actors, etc. All of those things have to be identified in a budget and if you've never done it before, don't take a stab at it. Hire the right people to do the job.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. You know, it's really funny people when you start talking about budget and people the right teammate. You know, if you open a Mexican restaurant and you hire somebody the cook he knows I do soul food. You know you got to have the right people doing the right thing. You're opening the bakery and that person all they know how to do is cook pies.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That's it. They can't do nothing else at your baking. But they told you they know how to bake. It's that resume going to the right place. I know we're going to run short on time, but I want to get to a couple of things I think they need to have. No we talked about number one, identify your project. Number two is make sure you have a plan. Number three is formed my team. Number four we just talked about the prepare budget. Number five is form a business entity. What are you doing there? Number six is get a EI in number for your business. Number seven open a business account, not your personal account, your business account. Number eight Protect your assets. Number nine. The floor is yours contracts.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, we know. Everything should be reduced to writing. It should represent what you negotiated. Obviously, you want to protect your intellectual property, your interest in ownership, Every aspect of the four walls of the agreement should be considered. And once again, I would not rely on myself to prepare a contract. I would go to the experts, such as a lawyer that is experienced in your area. And I will say this, even if you have an entertainment related matter. Not all entertainment attorneys are equal, and if you're a film producer, not all entertainment attorneys no film and television production, which is a whole other language. So again, make sure you get a lawyer who's very experienced in what it is you're trying to accomplish.
Speaker 1: Now, the last one, you got your business open, you got your movie marketing. You know, people think they can just open a door, tell everybody they got great food, and people just gonna line up and show up. People think they got a great movie project. They're gonna let everybody know that in the theater and we ready to go. Okay. So I really think it's really, really really important that people understand what's going on here when you're starting to put together these assets when you go down this top ten list. Marketing is the key, and it can create so much drama if you don't understand what's going on because you didn't know what your brand was, you know what your point. You didn't iventify your project, you have a plan, you did to have a team around. You didn't prepare a budget, budget didn't include marketing. You never have a business entity, you never got a business number. You're still operating out of your personal checking account. You didn't protect your assets. I want to say, I want to allow you to comment on that, and I say allowed, But I think you should talk. We should tell people how do you protect your assets?
Speaker 2: Sure? So, obviously you have intellectual property, so you may have a copyright that you need to protect, a trademark. In some instances, someone might have a patent. Doesn't necessarily apply here. As far as your scripts are concerned, you can register them with the United States Copyright Office, or you can deposit them with the Writers Guild of America East or West. You want to do everything you can to obviously protect your interests. Other things to consider are non disclosure agreement.
Speaker 1: Right, Non disclosure agreement NDA. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Yes? And NDA a non disclosed disclose your agreement And that deals with confidentiality, uh, between you and another party as to business. You know, discussions that you have between the two of you. You may want to protect some of the content that comes out of that. That could be your client list, that could be some trade secrets, uh, anything that you wouldn't want the general public to know. You know, ideas right, you would want to NDA. Now I'll tell you an NDA is a deterrent, but it is not iron class. And the reason why I say that a lot of people will exchange in n DA. You know, sign my the NDA, I'll sign yours. It could be mutual. That's great, but it doesn't really speak to pillow talk, right. And the only reason you would know somebody breached in n DA is if you hear about it or you hear it from a third party. So it doesn't do away with what I call pillow talk. You know the whispers, right, and that that's always concerning for me, and so I always like clients to know that NDA is a deterring factor, but it's but it's not fool proof.
Speaker 1: Wow, this has been great information I would have won. And appreciate you well, friend, thank you for coming on the show. Thank you for giving more wisdom you want to say. I do not lie when I say America's favorite entertainment attorney Jaylee Mack based out of Houston, Texas, but she's worldwide. She's worldwide, from Dubai to New York to Houston to Mexico. She's there doing her job and changing the game. More important to keeping people out of bad contracts and maybe become people aware of that there are scams out there. Just because it sounds like a good deal does not mean there are It is a good deal. I talked to you soon, Attorney Mac. Thank you, Thank you for listening to this episode. Now, I need for you to do me a favor right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversation. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor, follow or subscribe Money Making Conversations. Keep winning