Speaker 1: I think that they are out in the community a little bit as opposed to, you know, hiding from the community like they had the last couple of years in Oakland.
Speaker 2: Is certainly have changed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here we go.
Speaker 4: Melissa Lockard from the Athletic covers the a's among other things. Great to have you on the show as we're going to run through some storylines Melissa, which we'll get to in just a moment. I just wanted to get your thoughts real quick overall. Are you surprised we're having you on and actually talking about a few decent moves for the athletics?
Speaker 3: Like I'm trying to look at it a little bit half full.
Speaker 4: Obviously, you and I, you know, we saw each other last year around this time at fans Fest. The Oakland situation aside, this franchise itself hasn't really been competitive for the last few years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think, you know, there's sort of has been an ebb and flow in terms of how the franchise has operated over the last I don't know, twenty five years or so. Were you'll see a concentration of years where they are competitive and then a concentration of years where they're not, And I think from a player development standpoint, they're starting to enter that window of where they would be competitive, So you know, it makes sense that they'd be adding. Obviously, being back on revenue sharing and having to spend that money has allowed them to actually sign a few players on the open market. But it doesn't shock me that they would be trying to improve and not sell off at this stage, just given sort of what their pattern has been in terms of player development in the past.
Speaker 4: Okay, so let's get into the details. And I tried to use a little bit of humor along the way. So let's hit our twenty twenty five storylines for the Athletics. I am, by no means a writer with my full time job here, Melissa, but let me know how I did.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 4: First off, we're going to say goodbye Oakland, John Fisher can't wait to watch Aaron Judge Mash and Sacramento. How are they going to draw in the capital of California. We've got daddy money or the A's are forced to spend some of that money which we referred to. You got to get at least to about the one oh five mil number Brent Rooker got paid. And is there an underdog story involved. Can this team actually make a postseason run and set up the dream matchup that we're all looking for, the Rays and the A's in the ALCS in a battle of minor league ballparks. So, Melissa, let's start at the top here and get your thoughts on the first storyline, which is the A's moving to Sacramento. For now, how do you think this is going to play out for not just the area, but also for the team and for opponents dealing with what is a minor league environment, even though they did obviously make some renovations and they're still doing that to try and polish it up and making a little bit less you know, minor league ish, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know it is what it is, right. It's a stadium that cannot be bigger than what is out there. So you've got I think four teen thousand is its capacity, and I think they probably will draw around that most nights, right, Like, I think there is an excitement in the area to have a major league team. I think you know, they're going to have a fairly full ballpark. What that means for the experience for the players when you're still looking at it as a Triple A ballpark, you know, I think remains to be seen, and obviously those guys will be able to tell us as it comes. But there is some you know, local excitement there in Sacramento. There's definitely been some interesting moves. I think taking Stomper or the elephant anyway off of the uniforms and replacing it with a Sacramento patch but not actually calling them the Sacramento Athletics is an interesting move. Sort of having your cake and eating it too in some ways, you know. And I think you know that that they are out in the community a little bit as opposed to, you know, hiding from the community like they had the last couple of years in Oakland is certainly a change. So I'm sure it'll be a honeymoon period there. What happens in year two or three I think will be a lot more interesting than what happens the first year.
Speaker 5: How are these trades and free agents that they have signed payoff? Because you know, if we're talking about a playoff team, these are the guys that have to be at the center of it. And John Fisher all of a sudden came up with some money that he just mysteriously didn't have in a much larger market.
Speaker 1: Well, he came up with the other owner's money, I think is the main thing. You know, it just got back on revenue sharing, so you know, I mean, I think they are a better team than they were at this time last year. I don't think there's any doubt about that. They've got a little bit more veteran depth in the starting rotation. I still think they need more. I'm surprised they haven't been the team that's bought Jordan Montgomery's contract yet with that remaining amount of money, But they certainly have more stability there. They have some younger guys who could, you know, kind of help at the back end of that rotation. Ken Waldachuk coming back from Tommy John surgery. And you know, that offense was starting to gel a little bit this year, and they're moving into a ballpark that will help their offense even more. So, you know, you're you're looking at the main guys still being Brent Brooker, still being Lawrence Butler. You know the development of Tyler Soderstrom and Zach Geloff. Shay Langeleier is probably going to get thirty five forty homers with that ballpark. To play in, you know, so that that's kind of where their core is. But adding more stability to the rotation certainly will help.
Speaker 2: All right, How nice was it to see Brent Rooker get paid? I know he's been on here a bunch of times with us. I'm happy for him. This guy, if you don't know, his story, was a high draft pick, sec triple crown out Mississippi State, goes kind of bounces around team the team, never really gets a chance, gets to go to the Athletics. We call him the Aths on here by the way, because they you know, they're not Sacramento, they're not Oakland. Who knows where they're going to play? So he gets to the Aths. He has a couple of nice years, he has an unbelievable year last year, and he gets paid. So how happy are we that Brent Rooker finally got paid and he was He's now kind of the face of the franchise.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean I think that was the no brainer move of the offseason if you were the A's front office. I mean, here's a guy who is not only their best player, but also a huge influence in that clubhouse. He is the veteran leadership there I don't think there's any reason to think that he won't continue to be that player for the next couple of years. And you know, if you're Brent Rooker, it made all the sense in the world to take that money too, because he is older. He was older when he signed out of college. You know, it took him a while to get established. Now he's guaranteed for life with that money. But he also knows that the Ace do have a history of if they aren't going to pay the player anymore, they have done a good job of trading players to places where their careers take off. So I don't think there's the downside for either side really in that deal. And I am really happy for a guy that worked as hard as he did to turn himself into the player that he is to get that money.
Speaker 5: Is there a chance that we see Rais and the Atchs in the playoffs? Maybe more so the ath Is we're talking about now, And we even asked Rooker this the other day when he was on Will they allow him to play in Sacramento if they make the playoffs?
Speaker 1: I believe they've said no. I believe that the contingency plan has been for both of those teams to have, you know, somewhere else to play in the playoffs. I don't know if there's been like an official official announcement, but I think that's what we've heard. The interesting thing would be if you did have a playoff series in one of those minor league parks for that team, could they outdraw the one wildcard game they played at the Coliseum in twenty nineteen And I'm not sure they could even if you had a five game series. So, you know, I think that's that's an interesting thing. But you know, like you look at the AL West right now. You know, Houston's still obviously a little bit in flux, but they're not better than they were necessarily. The Angels are maybe a little bit better, but they have a lot of ways to go. The Mariners have done nothing, So you know, you're looking at a at a division that is not going to be the best in baseball by a long shot. So it wouldn't be out of this realm of possibility that they could make a run.
Speaker 2: Okay, what you just said, I just can't get my head wrapped around it. So if the Aths make the post season, they're not gonna play where they played their whole season. Why the if not, I don't understand. They battled and they went through this whole thing. Same with the Rays. So the Rays have all their stuff packed away at Steinberg Field. The Aths have it all packed away whatever the ballpark's called in Sacramento. No, I don't even know River cat Park or whatever it's called, right, but they have all their stuff parked away here, packed away, and they have all these things, and the promotions the fans have been behind them, and then Majorague Baseball is gonna say, oh, by the way, great job, guys, You're playing your playoff games in San Francisco at the Giants Park. That is just ludicrous to me that we would even be having this conversation.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's ludicrous that we have two teams playing in minor league ballparks when you have at the very least one empty major league ready ballpark now. And you know, whatever you think of the oakon Colsseum, it's still a major league ballpark and it's just sitting there. So there's a lot of things that don't make sense, you know, especially about the a situation. Obviously, there was you know, a natural disaster that impacted the race situation. But you know, even there, there's no plan for what happens next for the Rays in their stadium situation. I think, you know, the A's is far from settled as to what happens next after this next year, given what's going on in Nevada with their budget situation and the fact that frankly, construction costs in California and in Las Vegas are probably going to go way up because construction in Los Angeles is going to be so intense over the next few years. So I don't know what the endgame is for either of these franchises, to be honest, but you know, maybe they build the floating ballpark off the coast of somewhere and that's where both of them will play the postseason series.
Speaker 2: Something. They could play Squid Game, they could play the squid games on some random island and just yeah, I mean, I don't know who knows what they're going to do. But my thing is, I got to ask you this, since you brought up Vegas and you know more about this than probably any of us on this on this show, do what are the chances that the A's actually end up in Las Vegas? Because until I see a shovel, not the Golden Show all that John Fisher throws over his shoulder, and like here we go. I'm talking about like beams going in and actual stadium walls being built. What are the chances that the aths actually end up in Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: I still think it's less than fifty percent. I don't feel like we've seen a real rendering, you know, like there's there's been sort of little, kind of haphazard renderings that we've seen. Maybe there are renderings that exist for you know, the companies that would actually build this thing that are a lot more detailed. You compare the renderings to other park projects that you've seen that actually did get done, and even ones that don't, like some of the ones in Chicago that frankly are have been a lot more impressive than what we've seen, and those are like you know, pie in the sky sort of things. And yeah, they blew up the casino, but there's no building that's taking place there. There's a huge budget deficit that's starting in Nevada now, and you know, I don't know how they justify giving away money when they have to make ends meet for this for the state there, and the fact that you know, they're kind of making these inroads and stay Aacramento tells me they're not so sure either. You know, they're kind of keeping all the eggs in the basket that they can because I don't think they know what's going to happen next to either. So I don't think they've positioned themselves particularly well to have moved out of a market that they could have stayed in in stasis until they figured out where they were going to go to find out what's next.
Speaker 4: There was no better slogan than rooted in Oakland when we knew they were desperately trying to leave several years ago. That was a Dave Cavel masterpiece who is now gone from the team. So good job by him to kind of keep his legacy really really strong. Can't wait to have him on the show. But Melissa, thank you so much for joining us. Appreciate the time everyone give Melissa follow if you don't already. Each does a great job obviously covering what goes on here, especially on the news side too with the athletics.
Speaker 3: Thanks Melissa, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: While we're on the ace since they actually did something or did multiple things this offseason, which I'm a.
Speaker 3: Huge fan of. By the way, I want to be clear about that.
Speaker 4: It's nice to have the a is playing, you know, a little more competitively in the off season, even if that's forced a j. Can you now name the and Crats the four teams left that have not signed a major league free agent?
Speaker 2: Marlins are one. Obviously we got the.
Speaker 4: Course three more one at least one other should be easy. Brewers signed somebody, even if it was more low end. No Atlanta signed PROFI one. I just talked about one. I just talked about very very recently on the show.
Speaker 2: Mariner.
Speaker 4: No Mariners signed Solano Race signed somebody that the team I just talked about the Twins Andres Padres are a third Twins.
Speaker 3: There's one more and it's just Rockies.
Speaker 2: The rock signed uh.
Speaker 4: And Farmer and some others. One team left that has also claimed to be frozen situation, Cardinals, the Saint Louis Cardinals. There you go, good job. I mean it's not easy, but yeah, that was that's the last four.
Speaker 3: And Crats.
Speaker 4: I can't answer who assigned each one. I didn't do the homework like that. But the Brewers have signed somebody, even if it was.
Speaker 2: By the way, what can we discuss this? Every writer we have on from the Oakland area is like, yeah, they're not gonna be in Vegas. I mean everyone we ask it is not. There hasn't been one Oakland Bay area person it's been like, oh, yeah, they're gonna be in Vegas in three years, four years. There hasn't been one of them. Every person we've asked been like, it's underd fifty percent that the A's are in Vegas in three years, four years, five years, ten years on her years. It is amazing. So what that was John Fisher doing? I don't get it. What Melissa said at the end was great. They left a major league ballpark to go to a place you can't play playoff games. Now the Rays is different because of the hurricane, but the A's left the place. And if I just can't get my mind around if they make the playoffs, they can't play in the stadium that they played in the whole year, They're gonna have to go to Montreal. They're gonna have to go to where, Like, what do we do here?
Speaker 3: It's crazy, it is. It's a tough look too, Kratz.
Speaker 4: When you know fans are there all year and then you're like, root for us to win so that we can exit this ballpark for postseason ball.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a brutal look too. Not many people. No, it doesn't playoff. People don't travel home. Team doesn't travel. Well, it's not I don't know it. It's gonna be a bad look.
Speaker 3: It is a very difficult look.
Speaker 4: Charlie Blackman a special assistant to the regional i mean general manager of the Colorado Rockies, which is Bill Schmidt. So there you go, little news here with hot corner. Just for a couple of minutes. Charlie Blackman goes straight from the field to the front office and shocker crats. The Rockies like certain people and they keep them in their organization forever.
Speaker 3: There is. There is low.
Speaker 4: Loyalty there, more so than you see from almost any organization.
Speaker 5: You laughed about it because I think that's what ham strings this team a little bit. Not that, not that Charlie Blackman's hamstringing them in the future here, but them their inability to hire outside of their group of buddies, you know, the beerd Diggers, all those guys together. But why would you not have Charlie Blackman come in. Why would a team that has a star that's had success in your organization not make them a special assistant and keep them because he gets to be around the players, He gets to tell them about how to handle different things that he went through in this city. Like, to me, it's a no brainer, and I think it's awesome for him.
Speaker 2: I think it's great for it's great for it's great for Charlie Blackman. I agree with what uh Cross just said, though, Like, I mean, we need to get some new ideas. If you're the Rockies, you got to try something crazy. You got to go full raise and just try to do something that's so far outside the box that nobody's thought about because you haven't had success. You had the one year twenty was a twenty two thousand and seven.
Speaker 5: When they went to the World Series because they worked oh yeah, yeah, two.
Speaker 2: Thousand and seven. They went to the World Series because they went on like an epic, like twenty game winning streak at the end of the year out of nowhere. And so other than that though, I mean, they've made the playoffs a couple of times, they've been okay a couple of times, but now you're in the division with the Dodgers and the Padres and the Diamondbacks. You got to figure something else out if you're the Rockies, and the only thing to do is you got to do something crazy, and you got to get outside your box. Man. You got to think of something just way off the wall to try it to set yourselves apart. And then you're also gonna have to spend some money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're in a tough spot.
Speaker 4: But at least we learned from his little media press conference thing or whatever that he can ski now and know if he's a skier, but he said he went skiing at thirty eight years old for the first time in his life. Last week in bail he said, you can't ski. It was in my contract. Rocky shouldn't ski. Maybe they do need to ski, just to switch things up, you know. More power to the legs, right, isn't Isn't that what sometimes soft things for a player to get get that lower half involved more. No, no warrior exhausted from skiing or you get hurt snowboarding and then you can't play.
Speaker 5: That's the problem. Hey, hey, j doesn't know anything about skin. The don't ski in Florida and you.
Speaker 2: Want to hear a story yes, two thousand and five, two thousand and five, and win the World Series. January two thousand and six. Right after we win the World Series, father in law calls me. He goes, hey, I got a great deal to go to Bath and go skiing. You want to go? And I was like, yes please. I went for three days and went skiing, didn't get hurt, stayed on the greens and the blues, don't do the black diamonds. When I knew I was falling, I would just fall down on my big fat butt, slide down the hill a little bit, get up and keep going. It was a great time. I did it a couple of times in my career. I don't recommend it to anybody else doing it because people aren't stupid like me. But I skied a couple of times in my career even though I was supposed to. I had jet skis in my career. I wasn't supposed to do a lot of stuff I wasn't supposed to. I don't recommend it. Listen to what your contract says, especially if you're making a lot of money. But I broke the rules once or twice. Hell yeah, that's playing with fire. It's playing with fire.
Speaker 5: Brandon Mostows first got his first million dollar contract, millions of dollar contracts, and he took a picture on his snowboard at the top of a mountain with his wife. I texted him that day, I go.
Speaker 2: Bro, take that down. There's no way. He's like, oh, good point.