Speaker 1: This is a production of Journalista Podcast LLC and iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Play Bye Bye, Say.
Speaker 1: Six fie O free.
Speaker 2: Why here?
Speaker 3: These are the stakes to make a world in which all of God's children can live. Are to go into the dark. We must either love each other or we must dive. Vote for President Johnson on November third.
Speaker 4: The stakes are too high for you to stay home.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Journalista Podcast. I'm your host, Steve A. Step. That was the campaign commercial that scared America into re electing Lyndon Baines Johnson to the presidency. Back in nineteen sixty four, A little girl is counting the pedals on a daisy as the atom bomb explodes in the background. The Cold War was real. The US and the Soviet Union were on a collision course to destroy the world. It was terrifying. It was also our normal. I remember my elementary school running drills and practicing getting under our desks in case San Diego is hit with a nuclear warhead. I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference. Of course, today our kids practice hiding from a lone gunman with an AR fifteen. You told me once that you might have saved the world from nuclear holocaust.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe not the world and maybe not nuclear, but for sure we averted what could have been a devastating war for a poor country in Latin America.
Speaker 1: Well, tell me about that.
Speaker 2: First, we had gone on a junket, very memorable junket. I remembered one Tomo from the Miami Herald was there, another journalist myself, and we all got back to Monagua, and we all got sick. And of course we always attributed to dirty water, not the right food, and so I was starting to get very sick, nauseous. Was it feeling right? I think? The day after we got back, there were some rumors about some possible Russian armament and particular MiG aircraft that could quite possibly be headed to Nicaragua, and of course that was a very dangerous premise.
Speaker 1: The New York Times wrote this about the rumors.
Speaker 4: US warned Soviets it won't tolerate MiGs in Nicaragua. The United States, concerned that a Soviet freighter that has reached Nicaragua might be carrying advanced fighter aircraft, warned Musco on Tuesday that it would not tolerate the delivery of such planes. President Reagan said that if the Nicaraguans took delivery of advanced aircraft, it would quote indicate that they are contemplating being a threat to their neighbors here in the Americas.
Speaker 1: It wasn't Defcon one, but this wasn't the first time a Russian shipment threatened the balance of power in the Western Hemisphere.
Speaker 5: Good evening, my fellow citizens. This government has promised has maintained the closest surveillance of the Soviet military build up on the island of Cuba. Within the past week, unmistakable evidence has established the fact that a series of offensive missile sites is now in preparation on that imprisoned island. The purpose of these bases can be none of us than to provide a nuclear strike capability against the Western Hemisphere.
Speaker 1: That was President John F. Kennedy. You may have heard of the Cuban missile crisis. The United States put a naval blockade around Cuba, stopping the Soviets from delivering nuclear warheads to Fidel Castro. US military leaders were pushing for a full on invasion of Cuba, a fucking terrible idea. Kennedy opted for diplomacy, and after thirteen tenth days in October, he and the Soviet leader Nikita Krushev agreed to back down. It was the closest the world has ever come to nuclear war that we know of. Scary shit in Nicaragua. History seemed to be repeating itself.
Speaker 2: So of course everybody wants to find out is the rumor true? You know, how do you find out about that? I mean you have to literally see the aircraft coming in. At that point, I had already gone to see a doctor. The doctor had told me your gallbladder has to come out. We need to do surgery on you. And I'm like, you know, I'm not comfortable with that. We're in a war torn zone, We're in a third world country. I'm just uncomfortable. And by the way, I'm working on this story, as I'm getting sicker, the doctor says, well, we'll have to treat you somehow, and he hooks me up to an IV and the IV he's hooked up to a wooden hat rack that I had gotten my driver to put wheels on it so I could be wheeling myself back and forth. And I'm thinking this is going to make me feel better. Well, it didn't. I of course, let New York know and Miami know this possibility of Russian weaponry coming in. We don't know how, but the State Department had called CBS. CBS obviously knew that I had close contacts with the Sandinista government, the hierarchy, but we still don't know how. The State Department knews. So the State Department calls New York, tells New York and you get in touch with Cookie, have her call or take us people and see if we can avert this problem, possibly a major problem. So CBS calls me, can you get in touch? I s at sure, in touch with Ortega's press guy, Manuel Spinoza, and I tell him, listen, there's rumors about this big aircraft coming in. The State Department of the US is not happy with this, and I think that you should know that they're saying there will be a problem if this weaponry makes it into Nicaragua. And Manuel's like, well, let me talk to the president. I'll get back to you. I'm talking to New York. New York's talking to the State Department. And this went on for hours.
Speaker 1: If there are legitimate fears that the United States is looking for a reason to invade Nicaragua, we attack the island of Grenada. In nineteen eighty three, for far Less, a Marxist newspaper called The Spartacist wrote that the invasion was imminent.
Speaker 6: As USSR seventy one blackbirds smash the sound barrier over Manawa, Nicadawens have good reason to believe the bombing will begin in five minutes. The imperialist invasion plans are already worked out in detail. Nicaraua leader Daniel Lortega said at the UN in October, the winds now blowing over Central America foretell of holocaust for our peoples.
Speaker 1: The stakes are very high for Nicaragua, and some officials in the US government fear this could lead to another Vietnam.
Speaker 2: I'd been doing this the whole night, thinking I'm gonna get a nice exclusive here, I'm gonna get a great little story here. Well, the MiGs never came in. I like to think that I helped avert a bigger problem, which would have been a war of sub sort.
Speaker 1: Like a missiles in October type thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the Cuban missile crisis. Probably not as dangerous as that was, but it could have been. We did all of that, we averted it all, and I still didn't get the story because we couldn't broadcast because the State Department was involved, CBS was involved, where Tega's people are involved, and I'm in the middle of the whole thing.
Speaker 1: But he wants that story to come out anyway except.
Speaker 2: You I would have loved it. There was no way that New York or Miami was ever going to allow that because it would look like we were all accomplices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: You know, what's the State Department doing dealing with CBS And what's CBS doing telling me to go talk to insiders? So even though I did it to get the big story, I never got the big story.
Speaker 1: Did anybody get it?
Speaker 2: No, because no one knew what happened? The problem had been averted.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 2: And then CBS, as good as they are to their journalists, flew me to Miami. Ambulance waiting at the airport, wheeled me in into Mount Sinai Hospital and the receptionist says to me, girl, you sure look yellow. You must have a bad case of hepatitis. And at that point I realized I could have died because if I would have allowed them to operate on me in Nicaragua, you cannot perform surgery on a hypatha patient because they die. I would have died, and no one would have been the wiser.
Speaker 1: So is this one of those stories that everybody decides to never talk about again.
Speaker 2: It never happened.
Speaker 1: So basically the story is there is no story. It never happened.
Speaker 2: It never happened.
Speaker 1: That would have been huge, too, It would have been huge. The Washington Post reported this about the confrontation.
Speaker 4: US officials said yesterday that no Soviet fighter jets have been unloaded from a Soviet ship now docked in a Nicaraguan port, and that they now believe the ship may not contain any of the MEG aircraft. At the same time, officials at the Pentagon and State Department sought to quiet rumors that the United States was preparing to invade Nicaragua. While the United States would consider various options to quote unquote neutralize any megs, a State Department official said, the idea of a general offensive is quote unquote nonsense.
Speaker 2: Years later, I realized the gravity of what could have happened and what we averted day.
Speaker 1: Did it ever cross your mind that some o the State Department determined that you were someone they could talk to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, we always kind of wondered how they knew that. But we know how our government works, and I'm sure they were very well versed in my activities. You know what I was up to at any given moment.
Speaker 1: It's kind of scary in a way.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 1: So the US State Department used Cookie to stave off a major Cold War confrontation in Central America. Her power and influence are at an all time high. The question is what will she do with it.
Speaker 2: I knew I was a powerful person, just personality wise, even before all of this, through the drug days, through the modeling days, through all of it. As far as wielding power, yes, I started to realize that I could get anything I wanted. I could get in and out of anything I want wanted. If Dan Rather or Mike Wallace or Don Hewett wanted something, they knew Cookie was going to get it for them one way or another. I could charm the shit out of anybody.
Speaker 1: One person told me that you were like a mob bus who was collecting favors.
Speaker 2: Not intentionally, and I never really had to say, look, I did this for you, you got to do this for me. It was just sort of understood because it wasn't just contacts, and it just wasn't powerful government people on either side and in different countries. I also helped my own crews and colleagues whatever had to be done, whether it was carrying tripods, carrying equipment, helping them if they had a hangover, bringing them to the airport, picking them up from the making their lives just out and out comfortable. You know, happy wife, happy life. Well my motto was happy cruise, happy journalists, happy Cookie, and happy New York. And I will take that a step further. Obviously the networks were all competitors. I wasn't like that. Of course, I'm not going to give away my exclusives, but I helped other crews in other networks. You could always count on Cookie giving us a ride, or if we don't have tapes, she can give us tapes. If our machines went down, She'll let us choose her machines. But then it also extended to outside the TV network circle. Anybody that was in my life, friends, relatives, if I needed them to work, I made sure they got work. The drivers. I spread the wealth.
Speaker 1: Meet Alejandro Belly, one of Cookie's best friends and her assistant at the CBS office in Managua aka Chillin.
Speaker 9: She would get quite a bit of money. It would always come in cash in dollars. A driver would get one hundred dollars a day when normally, you know, if they were hired by a private family, he maybe would be making twenty dollars a month. So it was this huge gap. I was graduated from American University working in the health ministry, I started making fourteen I ended up making seventeen dollars a month, and I was making one hundred dollars with Cookie in a day. In that same way, she would have, I don't know, somebody takes care of Chicho, somebody that does our nails and does you know, manicures and petticures and come there at the office. You know, you know she'll tip her well and she's very generous.
Speaker 2: I had a cousin worked for me. I had close friends, but I wasn't paying them to do nothing. They pulled their own weight. Sure, I spread the wealth, but they had to report for duty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Selene said that you had it figured out where you could have three or four or sometimes five drivers working consistently and they were getting paid one hundred dollars a day for the.
Speaker 2: Moment in dollars, which was like as if I was paying them in goal bars.
Speaker 1: The way he put it, though, it was almost calculated how you could help as many people as possible.
Speaker 2: Many people as possible, And people like Chilean people like my cousin Hilda, people like my brother Jimmy. They all worked for their money. But I just made sure that that money was spread as far as I could. You're in a war zone, people are hurting. Everybody could use money. I made sure everyone, drivers and helpers and maids were raising whole families. And that was my go to amount, one hundred dollars a day.
Speaker 9: She keeps her allies in a way, you know, she was able to really reward them. She doesn't buy them, but she rewards her loyalties.
Speaker 2: That was just an extension of the way I've always been in my life. I think she called it comfortable scam.
Speaker 1: A comfortable scam. I love that.
Speaker 2: And of course my theme song was comfortably.
Speaker 1: Numb for obvious reasons.
Speaker 2: For obvious reasons.
Speaker 9: In terms of what this meant for the drivers, it's they were able to send kids to education and have it changed schools, have a better car, have its in house, keep another mistress.
Speaker 2: You know, listen, Steve, everybody around me made money halfway for altruistic reasons and halfway because these are people that are helping me do my job. Their payback to me was helping me get the best stories and the best work coming out of CBS Latin America as possible.
Speaker 1: We can talk about all the good things with journalism and all the things like that that you you were able to accomplish and help other people accomplish. And I know you you had your reasons for paying people well and that that's good business. But when you look back at that and think about how many people you affected in a positive way, how does that feel?
Speaker 2: Let's put it to you this way. Two things I'm going to say. They all hated seeing the war end, because they all really made their lives because of war. And number two, how did I feel? It felt good? Steve? Just like it felt good before the war, Just like it feels good even today. It makes you feel good. So many lives were able to be touched in such a positive way. I still hear from these people thirty and forty years later.
Speaker 1: If they all say, every one of them I've interviewed, they all say, they still get a birthday card, they still get a Christmas card, they still get a note, they still get a thought sympathy card. I want to go on record right now saying that if my cat goes to the vet, I send you a card, sometimes with a gift certificate. Cookie takes care of her people. I know because I'm want to them. After the break, she takes it to another level. We'll be right back, welcome back. This story is fucking insane. There are several versions, all of them dangerous, all of them hilarious. I'm going to tell you the funniest version. Remember that time at the airport when you forgot you at a joint in your backpack and you're sweating bullets watching it go through the TSA scanner and you just know you're going to freaking jail. It's like that, except you're in a third world country in the middle of a civil war. You talk a lot about security going in and out of these buildings and that type of thing. Do you ever have any close calls?
Speaker 2: Yes, we had a great close call, I could say great. Now we're being summoned with all the other journalists to a press conference, not a big one, A dog and Pony Show, which we used to call him. I'm sure the San Denisas thought it was going to be a big, important press conference. We knew it wasn't and it was going to be held at the Ministry of Defense. And then after the press conference, I had been given the okay for an exclusive interview with the Defense Minister, which was President Ortega's brother, Umberto Ortego. And this guy didn't give interviews. He, you know, was a very quiet guy, secretive obviously because he's the head of defense and they're at war.
Speaker 1: Was there a purpose for the interview, No, we.
Speaker 2: Were just wanted an interview with him. Whenever I thought that I wanted something extra or exclusive, it didn't hurt to ask because all they could do is say no. But most of the time they said yes. It would always give CBS the per hand, so we knew we were going to do that after So we're there, I'm with my favorite Cuban American crew Manny and George Bosa. I loved working with these guys.
Speaker 8: It was one of those where it was the big press conference. Everyone was invited, you know, and those were very few and far between. So when they did that, everyone showed up. They would take us into a room and they'd make us drop all year. And then they had the dogs, the German shepherds and their you know, secret police, and they would go through your stuff.
Speaker 2: They searched the equipment, they searched the journalists, make sure there are no bombs or weapons that you know, something unexpected could.
Speaker 1: Happen, so standard operating proceeds SOP.
Speaker 8: So we all filed in and I had a journalists vest where I carried my tapes and my microphones and some cables, my passport, cash and all that.
Speaker 3: George wore this little vest that was a photographer vest. I'm sure you've seen the one to have his little pockets. He wore that thing every day. That thing, if you were to set it down, it would have walked away by itself.
Speaker 2: So we had been up the night before, we'd been partying. We just thought we'd just work all the way through from partying, go straight to equipment check, which was we had to be there around six in the morning. They always keep you for hours. We knew we could take a nap and sleep while we're waiting.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that you were you guys were up partying all night and went straight to their defense.
Speaker 2: Mid yeah, because it was across the street from the hotel.
Speaker 1: Literally, you never slept that night.
Speaker 2: We did sleep, which is not not normal. It was pretty you know, normal for us to do.
Speaker 8: The night before, I had been with a friend of mine that had gotten me some some weed. And to get weed and monogua is not an easy thing to do, you know. It's it's hard. It's not bad, but it's not the greatest either, So it's rare, and it's he treated like like gold, you know, it's it's very u valuable.
Speaker 3: I remember sitting up in his little bed, putting a cigarette in his mouth, lighting that, and then rolling a joint while he smoked that sick and it was kind of one of those one went where you go, oh shit, Sey, you know, I mean, I didn't take anything of it. Whatever we had many hours before we had to do this.
Speaker 8: We all filing and we walked into this giant room and the cameramen put their cameras and tripods down. I put down my recorder. I put down my backpack with all my batteries and stuff, and then I dropped my best because the soldier said to me, we need to see the best too, because you can put a lot of stuff in it. So I drop it and we all file out. And as soon as we file out, George comes up.
Speaker 3: To me and he's literally pale, like why does this ghost man? And I said, what's up? Man?
Speaker 5: What you know?
Speaker 3: And he says, manny I forgot to take the weed out of my little vest.
Speaker 2: Boja looks at me with this look of fear, and I was like, oak, hey, now you have to understand. They were always scared because being Cuban Americans, they were fearful that the sandinisas if they ever got in trouble, you know, would throw them in jail and throw away the key.
Speaker 8: The reason it was so scary for me is because my passport says born in Cuba. Okay, not born in the US. It's a US passport, but it says born in Havana. And the first time I landed there, the Sandinista soldier at the airport, when he took my seventy five bucks attacks to come in, he said, you left Cuba to laugh at the revolution.
Speaker 3: If they catch us with drugs, we're done. You know, I get to Miami, Cubans with drugs. You know that would have been headline news in Nicarago.
Speaker 8: Cookie's like, wow, let me see what I can do. So she disappears behind the door and then she cracks the door opened a bit and says, post get in here and get it really quick. So I slide in. I may believe that I'm looking through my vest and I grabbed a battery and then I grabbed that and I crushed it in my hand so nobody could see it, and I walk out.
Speaker 2: I said to Boza, we got to get rid of it. So I take the bag. I put it down my pants. Manny also knows what's going on. He's not scared, because Manny is pretty fearless, but he knew that this could be a problem. It could be a brujaha. Somebody could lose their job, and I just wasn't going to let that happen.
Speaker 1: You Like, CBS wouldn't be happy about it.
Speaker 2: Of course not. Here's one of their crew caught with drugs. We don't know what type of scandal that would be. I'm gonna take care of it. Put it in my pants, ask where's the bathroom to one of the security police there, and I go in the bathroom and I start to flush it down the toilet. Weed. You got to understand we're in a third world country. I know, I keep repeating this, it's during the war. The facilities are not top notch like here in the United States.
Speaker 3: I don't know how many third world bathrooms that you've been to. I have been to quite a few, and that was one of the worst.
Speaker 2: So as I'm flushing it down the toilet, and it's several times I'm flushing because I've got to make sure it goes, the toilet gets backed up and the weed starts coming back up and overflowing. And anyone that's overflowed a toilet knows what I'm talking about, but it's usually not for weed in a military state. And it is now all over the floor and I'm trying to pick it up. The toilet is backed up. I know, I can't get anything else down there. Whatever got down and went fine, but there's a lot of it out floating in the toilet and floating on the floor. So I stick my head out door and tell the security guy, look, I'm sick. I've got a bad stomach. I said, I'm having an accident in here. I need you to get me some towels. I don't think there were paper towels in those days. Just get me some brags, anything you can, so I can clean up this mess. Of course, he doesn't want to go in because he figures it's another kind of mess. So I clean up as much as I can, and I take it all and put it back in my pants, because I figure, Okay, if anybody's going to get caught, it's going to be me. The crew they're okay, they're safe. I had already told them, you admit to nothing. Anything happens. I'm going to take the fall because Cookie, as you know by now, can get in and out of anything. I'm kind of damp down there, but of course I attributed to being sick. By this point, I'm in that bathroom thirty minutes, maybe more so. Security's getting a little not nervous, but they're kind of like wondering, what the hell's going on? How sick is this girl? The guy sticks his head in, Knox Forverd sticks his head in. Are you okay in there? I'm okay, I'll be out in a minute. So I come out. I got it back in my pants. I just continue to tell Manny and George no worries. I got this, I got you. You admit to nothing. If anything happens, you just you're shocked. I'll take the fall, no worries. And even if they would have been caught with it, I would have never allowed anything to happen to them either, because that's just the way I was with my guys. You know, I just took care of everybody. We went on to do the press conference, we went on to do the interview with Roberto Ortega, and nobody was the wiser.
Speaker 1: But y'all got shit faced after that.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we did. I'm sure we did. That was a close call.
Speaker 1: I know that George, he'll never forget it. He thinks that you saved his ass that day, and.
Speaker 2: I've let him think that. But again, I would have never let anything bad happen to him. I would have taken the blame before I would have let anything happen, because maybe they did have a viable fear.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Yet again, Cookie got away with it and got the story and got the story. Didn't you tell me that that scene reminded you of something?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you tell me that story, it always reminds me of Lucy in the Chocolate factory.
Speaker 3: Oh right, girls, now this is your last chance.
Speaker 2: If one piece of kind it gets past you and into the packing room unwrapped, you're fired, you.
Speaker 1: Know, trying to grab the chocolates and then keep coming and coming, and I can just see you over the toilet trying to grab the weed, stick it back in flush. It is coming back up, over and over. I just see that in my head. To me, if that's not a scene in a movie or a TV series, I don't know what will be.
Speaker 2: And you're right, it was like that insanity.
Speaker 1: It's fucking hilarious.
Speaker 2: But at the moment I knew it was insanity, but I wasn't laughing. I laughed later, but not at the moment.
Speaker 1: I can only imagine the look on Bosa's.
Speaker 2: Face when I came out in front of my pants.
Speaker 1: I mean, he probably said, what hell happened?
Speaker 2: I couldn't go into details. Yeah, I said, you don't want to know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was bad, but again, it was funny. Now, Cookie and I laugh about that, and we laugh until our side's hurt. But in the moment, it wasn't a good time.
Speaker 3: One of those things that you never never forget another day in the lives of the camera crew for CBS News and the.
Speaker 1: Aragua coming up. The after party blows up on her favorite cameraman, and a good friend from another news agency faces an unthinkable tragedy. We'll be right back. Combat news is a dangerous business. It's life or death that takes its toll on the men and women who bring it to our evening news far from home, and their families have to deal with it day after day, one way or another. It can be a lot of fun, but can also be heartbreaking. It's like going to a company convention in Vegas, but people are shooting at you, so forgive me. But what happens in Managua stays in Managua.
Speaker 2: We've already said it before. We worked hard, we partied harder within the Foreign War Correspondence Group. I'm gonna throw these numbers out there. Three four selves partied hard.
Speaker 1: By partying, you mean like heavy drinking.
Speaker 2: And drugs and drugs.
Speaker 1: Manny Alvarez, CBS cameraman, weighs in on the party culture at CBS News Managua.
Speaker 3: The hotel was party central, so after we were done working, we would all go to the office and whatever jobs had to be done there, screening the change whatever, and the party would begin.
Speaker 2: When Manny would come to town, it would just make my existence wonderful because I had my brother, my friend, my colleague all rolled up into wine and we'd always get the story done. We were all very professional getting the story. And so come end of story and back at the hotel, you know, we'd start the partying.
Speaker 3: And I remember could he had a little kidnt get pass. I think it was instead of little sandwiches, she had bottles of you know, voxa or whatever it was wine, and you know, we got high. And if not every night, several nights a week.
Speaker 2: Manny would always be the life of the party. Extraordinary and he was funny, silly, you know, all the adjectives that go with somebody that's a little too inebriated.
Speaker 3: Usually did not get out of hand. I mean, if you got shit faced, you went to your room, no big deal. Somebody would take you to your room.
Speaker 2: He would paint his face, or he would let us paint his face, and would sing, we'd dance, and then Manny would always take it just a little bit further.
Speaker 3: That one night and it was myself, Rob Luchet, who was an edit, and I think there was a third person, if I remember correctly, not that I should remember, because I was completely out of my mind. We decided that we were going to have a fight with the fire extinguishers that were in the hallways of the hotel. And the fire stinguishers were those big, giant ones like from back in the day, with the wheel on top, and they had a rubber hose, you know, probably a couple of feet long, and they had what seemed to be water in it, so there was some kind of liquid that squirted like water, and with that hose you could squirt that ten feet I don't know, eight feet twelve feet. So we were running up and down the hallways squirt each other.
Speaker 2: And he was spraying guess doors guests.
Speaker 3: At one point find myself right in front of the elevator. The door's open, there's a couple dressed up to go out. I swoardled him, and I mean I heard some up and down. They screamed the elevator clothes and I have, of course work running down the hallway to do whatever to whoever else, And at some point somebody called the cops.
Speaker 2: There had been too many complaints and enough complaints that the hotel couldn't keep it quiet because the hotel, you got to remember, was our ally because they're making millions off of all the journalists and especially CBS, because not only we had our offices, but I lived there. I had my own slew of sweets.
Speaker 1: Turns out the well dressed couple Manny super soaked in the elevator, was the Russian ambassador and his wife. Kind of a big deal, possibly an international incident.
Speaker 2: We don't know what's gonna happen, if they're gonna put him in jail, if they're gonna deport him. Whatever, we grab Manny, I take him to my personal suite, you know, I hide him and I tell him, Manny, for once, please just listen to me and shut the fuck up. Please don't say anything, no matter what happens, just follow my lead.
Speaker 3: And again I was gone, and I had literally war paint. I had pain in my face and a shirt with CBS on it.
Speaker 2: So the cops showed up. We still don't know if the intent was to arrest him or deport him or both. So they come up and we're talking to the police. They come to my living quarters. They said, we're going to search You're not searching my quarters. I said, you could search CBS offices, but you're not searching my personal quarters. There's no one in there. My children are sleeping. They weren't. They weren't there. They had their own rooms with their nannies. Many stayed quiet. As soon as they left, Rob and myself said, we're going to get him out of here. We're going to take him to the Camino Reale, which was the other hotel where journalists stayed.
Speaker 1: This is where George Bosa, the CBS sound man, enters.
Speaker 8: The story The Redsux in the Mets nineteen eighty seven World Series.
Speaker 3: In the shit.
Speaker 9: Free and two, the Looky Wilson a little roller up along first behind it.
Speaker 8: The ball goes through Butckner's legs. I was at the Camino Many, was with Cookie. Manny isn't a baseball fan, so everyone was in my room. We had the bathtub full of Tonia's and you know, and he petiales and we're drinking and having a great time. That game was up and down the whole way. Like about one of the last innings, Cookie calls me. She's like, hey, Bosa, listen, Manny's out of control here at the hotel. Man I mean, I don't know what to do with them. Okay, I'm gonna send them over to the Camino because they're gonna kick him out of the hotel. And this was just typical back then, you know. She snuck him down the elevator, snuck him out of the back door. Cookie put him in a cab and he gets to the Camino and I go out to the drive up Man he gets out in his underwear, Man with like Cookie's lipstick all over his face, and he's like, I don't understand why they slew me out of the hotel. So we threw a blanket on them and put them in our room. And this was just typical back then, you know, because yeah, when you got friends and you got people that are dying, you know, and you're risking your life every day, you tend to really medicate heavily. That was one of those nights that Manny medicated.
Speaker 3: I never got caught. I didn't get caught later. They didn't call me later, though. I'm sure if they would have caught me that particular night, it would have been the end of my career at that point in time. And it wasn't just us. It wasn't like all the CBS people were all maniacs. It with everybody, you know, That's kind of how we blew off steam. What we got back from whatever missions that we would go on.
Speaker 2: We were just journalists suffering from PTSD, already letting it all out, partying and covering war, death and all the wonderful things that come with that.
Speaker 1: Cookie always steps up to keep her boys out of trouble, but sometimes the war came with you. A bullshit press conference in a bullshit border town called Lopenka changes.
Speaker 2: Everything under the guise of journalists. For many years, even at the press club and everything, you had so called journalists and they were actually part of terrorist groups, the Red Brigade from Italy, Sandetta, Luminosos from Peru, Bader mainehoff Gang from Germany, and we didn't know that they were terrorists.
Speaker 1: So they were hanging out in hanging out.
Speaker 2: Because they were probably fleeing somebody chasing them. They were given safe haven in Nicaraguen. They were told to play like they were journalists, so at any given moment, unbeknownst to most of us, we were hanging out with these terrorists.
Speaker 1: So you were partying with terrorists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not all the time, but they could be at parties, you know, press parties, journalists. We found out later on, you know, even Iranian terrorist groups they were all there. Ira was there, the Japanese, I forget what they're called.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the ones who poisoned everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they were all there because Nicaragua was a safe haven for terrorists. So anybody that was against the US, they will welcome in Monagua.
Speaker 1: So the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Speaker 2: There you go. Now what Lapenka was all about, it was different. It was in Costa Rica.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was right off was a border.
Speaker 2: It was a press conference being held by Eden Pastora, who had initially started off as the Sandinist in the early days.
Speaker 1: Eden Pastora was one of the heroes of the nineteen seventy nine Santiniastera Revolution. They called him Commander Zero, that nickname he earned when he masterminded one of the most daring raids ever documented. The Washington Post wrote this about the attack.
Speaker 4: About twenty leftist gorillas shot their way into the National Palace yesterday and seized about fifty senators and other officials as hostages. At three persons were reported killed in the firing before National Guard troops surrounded the palace. The guerrillas lined up the hostages along the large windows of the building to ward off fire from the National Guard.
Speaker 1: Among the fifteen hundred officials being held for several cabinet members and Samosa's half brother, Jose Simosa, an off and on journalist. Nobel Prize winning novelist Gabrielle Garcia Marquez wrote this about the siege.
Speaker 7: The plans seemed too simple to be seen. Take the National Palace, Himan, Now, what in broad daylight would a force of only twenty six and hold the members of the House of Deputies hostage in exchange for the release of all political prisoners. Leadership of the Sandinista National Liberation Front did not consider the storming of this marketplace of bureaucracy insanely simple, but just the opposite, a crazy master stroke. The plan, in fact, had been conceived and proposed initially in nineteen seventy by the experienced militant and then Pastora, but it was only put into effect when it became all too clear that the US had decided to help Somosa remain on his bloodstained throne until nineteen eighty one. He has been an active revolutionary militant for the past twenty years. Pastora's marvelous sense of humor cannot obscure his aptitude for command. His earliest memory, from the age of seven was the death of his father, murdered by the National Guard of Anastasio Somosa.
Speaker 2: Garcia.
Speaker 1: If the name isn't familiar, Gabriel Garcia Marquez is a Colombian author, best known for two of my favorite novels, One hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera. He clearly had a romance with Eating Pastora Eden.
Speaker 2: Pastora was going to give the press conference. Many journalists were there, not the big networks.
Speaker 1: We weren't there in the background. What we don't know? There's a plot.
Speaker 2: There's a plot to blow up a chill Pastora. And if a couple of journalists killed along the way, oh well.
Speaker 1: Peer Anchor Hanson, a Danish photographer, was introduced to a Swedish journalist by mutual friends, asking to show him around. They attended Pastora's press conference together. Hanson put a bomb in his camera, back, worked his way through the journalists covering the event, set it down under a table, then hurried away, setting it off with a walkie talkie and ripped through the gathering, killing seven people and leaving a dozen injured. It was a bloodbath. The Washington Post covered the story the next day.
Speaker 4: A bomb exploded last night during a news conference being held by Nicaraguin rebel leader Eden Pastora along the Nicaraguan Costa Rican border, wounding Pastora and two dozen others and killing two journalists, including one American and two rebels. Among the dead were Linda Fraser, thirty eight, of Portland, Oregon, who worked for the Costa Rican English daily, The Tico Times. No one claimed responsibility for the blast, which occurred shortly after Pastora had begun an EVA news conference in his jungle headquarters at the Nicaraguan village of Lapenka. The remote village on the banks of the San Juan River is not reachable by road, and the reporters had traveled by dugout canoe from Costa Rica. Some Costa Rican officials accused Nicaraguay's ruling Sandinistas of responsibility. Leaders of the rebel group initially accused the CIA, which has been at odds with Pastora.
Speaker 2: Everyone assumed that it was the US behind it, that it was the us that bombed it to make it look like the Sandinistas that It was always a cat and mouse game. You know, you never really knew who was who, who was doing something, for what reasons they were doing it. It was a very dangerous game to be in, and of course being in dangerous games was my thing. That had always been my fear, and I've told you about that fear that I could be assassinated or killed by one side trying to make the other side look like they had done me in. It could be even friends knowingly doing this. Because the Swedish dude that did it was under the influence of dark people. I don't think he was even clear who he was working for.
Speaker 1: Many years later, the Sweetest Journalist revealed that he was introduced to Hanson by Sandinista intelligence agents. He knew they were spies, but didn't know that Hanson the bomber was really Argentine terrorist vital Roberto Ganguin, hired by the Sandinistas to take out Pastora. Sadness and guilt dogged him for the rest of his life. For Cookie, the attack hit close to home.
Speaker 2: Up until that point, journalists really had not been killed inside of Nicaragua. It was probably the least dangerous war to be around, unlike El Salvador or Honduras, where journalists were regularly killed. Some of our own colleagues were killed. Joe Frasier that worked for Associated Press, his wife was there and she was one of the ones killed.
Speaker 1: A journalist.
Speaker 2: Yes, she was a journalist. He happened to be in nicaraguall, of course in my office with me.
Speaker 10: She sat up with me all night long as we tried to find out any information we could.
Speaker 1: She was really there when I needed somebody.
Speaker 2: And here's a guy six ' five, big guy. I have to break the news to him that his wife has been killed, and I remember him collapsing on me and me trying to keep him up. We were up all night crying and you know, trying to figure things out.
Speaker 10: She was always there when needed somebody, and she always knew what was going on, and she would usually tell you. Some people were officially almost paranoidally competitive down and Cookie wasn't like that. She becomes in power and she meant it. We were all basically on the same team. We also just help each other out. And Cook he was right at the top of that list. I had never forgotten that when the University of Flanna's murderer, she always sends a card.
Speaker 2: I had this thing, and you know by now from several episodes that I always liked taking care of my boys, and I took care of everybody. Can Soundman, Editors, producers, on air, talent writers, big stars at six of us, I took care of everybody.
Speaker 1: Lipenko was a wake up call for Cookie and her colleagues, a painful reminder that war is a dangerous place and you are never really safe, no matter how hard you party trying to forget. Next time on Journalista, Cookie walks into a minefield and the shrapnel is coming from every direction.
Speaker 2: I hear some screaming and some armed flailing from one of the soldiers, saying stop, stop, stop, don't take another step, don't move. When somebody tells you that in a warzone, you stop, And one of the soldiers says, I hate to say this, but you're in a minefield.
Speaker 1: The Journalista podcast features the stories and voice of Cookie Hood narrated by Steven Esteb produced by Sean J. Donnelly. Executive producers Jason Wagensback, Roy Laughlin and Ellen ka iHeart Executive producer Tyler Klang, Written and edited by Stephen Esteb, Music by Jay Weigel, Associate producer in sound design Stephen Tanti. Sound mixing by Jesse Solonsnider. Special guests Lloyd sr Cindy Pohl, Alejandro Belly, George Boza, Manny Alvarez, Jose Torres, tama As, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Joe Fraser. Special thanks to Esplanade Studios, The Ranch Studios, Jason Gerwitz, Kyle Frederick, Zack Slaff. This is a production of Journalista podcast LLC and iHeartRadio