Speaker 1: Welcome to my show. I'm Rashon McDonald, a host of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Well, we encourage people to stop reading other people's success stories and start planning your own. Now, you don't want to miss an episode, so please take a moment right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversations Masterclass.
Speaker 2: It's free.
Speaker 1: You can follow me on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your podcast. New Money Making Conversations Masterclass episodes drop daily. I want to keep you on alert because my guests provide tips on how you can uplift your community, improve your financial planning, motivation, or advice on how to be a successful entrepreneur. Now, let's get this podcast started. I promoted heavily that we'll be talking about value proposition. Those two words are very magical in my life. Now I didn't understand them. My wife challenged me to find out what my value proposition was in my business and my personal life, and I really didn't know what she was talking about. I really didn't because of the fact that I have been going through life naturally achieving success tied to my willingness to work hard or outwork you my willingness to set goals, but I didn't understand the word value proposition. And let me give you a quick definition of value proposition, because we're going to do two things that we're going to talk about the career side or your job using value proposition, and next week you're going to talk about your business or your product using value proposition. A quick example of value proposition on the business side is when you promote something, some people use slogans just do it.
Speaker 2: That's a slogan.
Speaker 1: I don't have to tell you what that brand's associated with it because they market it, you know now. But products and service are tied to value proposition. For instance, just as an example, we know they have a great chicken sandwich, but when you see their commercials, they're always talking about their customers servis. And when you go in, you know what I'm talking about because you see it, you understand it. And so when brands have put themselves in a position that way where you can just talk about what they do, then you automatically know that the marketing that they're putting in place is winning.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: When you go to their place, they talk about great service. Guess what you get good service there. That's what it is. Has to happen to you as an individual when you go to work. But type what prevents you from being successful. And I want you to get a pen out today because I'm going to get I'm gonna drop some nuggets on you. I'm gonna drop some phrases on you. I'm gonna drop some things that you want to put on your mirror, that you want to you want to share with people because of the fact that this is information I've been storing in my life and I've been me I now have been successful as an individual.
Speaker 2: I've been successful as a business owner. I've been successful as a manager because of talent and because of the fact that I was just doing it. I was just working it.
Speaker 1: But is in life a lot easier if you know why you're successful, If you can start thinking like a corporation, if you can start telling people from jump, this is what my value proposition is, and then they can understand how much they should pay you. Because if you don't have a value proposition on the job that you're doing forty hours a.
Speaker 2: Week, then you're going to be frustrated.
Speaker 1: You're not going to get promoted, You're not going to get a raise, and you're going to be a complainer at your job, which will only diminish your value proposition.
Speaker 2: So what's yond?
Speaker 1: What's a value proposition is a declarative statement. This is from the just a definition that explains why you should pursue your product a build on it. It clearly explains what differentiates you, makes you're offering unique. What are you doing at your job that justifies a raise? What are you doing at your job that justifies a promotion? W You're the best choice for that opportunity Right there, I'm gonna show you example of that. When I got first hired at IBM, and I worked two and a half years at IBM, and then I worked fortunately two and a half years full time.
Speaker 2: When I got.
Speaker 1: Hired, the first thing that they did was brought me into office and they asked me what were my goals? What were my dreams? What did I want to do at IBM? You know what I told them, I don't know. Right there, the guy was asking me for my value proposition. He didn't say those words, but that's what he was asking me for. And I told him, I don't know. So if I don't know what my value proposition is how am I going to get a raise, how I'm going to get promoted? Well, guess what happened six months later. The two guys who was hired simultaneously I used to work at the same time that I was hired. They were moving in front of me. They were doing things I was not doing. So guess what I started hanging out with the negative people.
Speaker 2: Use the word like it. And they happened to be white.
Speaker 1: Okay, so guess what I started saying, Well, you know it's a white thing, you know, you know it's a racial thing going on here, you know, because we got hired at the same time.
Speaker 2: And look what they're doing. They're doing stuff they won't.
Speaker 1: Even let me do because I did not tell anybody or did I understand my value proposition.
Speaker 2: So guess what. I marched into the office with my supervisor.
Speaker 1: The same supervisor who asked me six months earlier what I wanted to do, and IBM so, I said, sir, And I was trying to be politically correct, but I wanted to let him know I wasn't happy, I said, sir, you know, just by mentioning the two guys were two guys, I said, they.
Speaker 2: Seem to be doing more than I'm doing, and I don't think that's fair. I used to work fair. He said, uh, what do you mean? He said, who shin?
Speaker 1: You still have not told me what you want to do? I said, what do you mean? It's not as you six months ago? What do you want to do at this company? And you failed to tell me? I failed to tell him my value proposition. I failed to tell him my ability to work and how I wanted to work and how I wanted to achieve success.
Speaker 2: I did not create a plan. I don't care what you're doing. You could be a baker. There as a plan.
Speaker 1: You could be a garbage truck working on a there's a plan, and you can be promoted if you have a plan. But if you sit around and you just act frustrated because you want somebody magically to drop some money on you, magically promote you, but they don't even know what you want to do. That was Rashaan McDonald. I did not understand value proposition for me. So guess what happened? I told him what I wanted to do. Hey, guess what happened? The positive things started happening in my life, But I had to do more for those positive things to happen at the same salary.
Speaker 2: Please don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations Masterclass. Not I need for you to do me a favor right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversation. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor, follow or subscribe money Making Conversations. Welcome back to Money Making Conversation Master Class with me Rashaun McDonald. That's the whole thing about it. If you want to clown climb Mount Effest, you know you're gonna have to put effort into it. It's a lot of people want to climb Mount Effest. A lot of people don't make it. They get tied, come back down. Ooh that's how. I ain't know that high. I take the photos?
Speaker 2: Can we can? We can? We just do a helicopter ride up there.
Speaker 1: That ain't climbing any Some people you go by their house, they have pictures of of I got a picture of the Grand Canyon on my house, big old picture.
Speaker 2: I've never been to the Grand Canyon.
Speaker 1: Because my value propositions was it's better to buy a picture than to go. So that's that short changing myself. They're just show value proposition for that moment. But in life, I have to talk to you to stop this madness because there are three words why not me? Write that down. I can say why not you? But guess what you're looking in the mirror, so you should be saying why not me. It all comes down to how much effort you want to do to achieve success. Write this down. You can't be successful unless you have a plan. What does plans stand for? And rashon McDonald's lane of success P for prepare al for learn, A for a just in for navigate. Okay, cool, let's go back to that story I told you about and IBM. When I didn't tell my man what I wanted to do when I got hired, I wasn't prepared, I wasn't willing to learn, I wasn't willing to adjust, and I definitely didn't navigate.
Speaker 2: And when you say navigate, that means you have to do more.
Speaker 1: So when I told them what I wanted to do, that means when I came to work, I had a different attitude. I wasn't just coming to work to get a check. I was coming to work because I had goals, because I had a plan.
Speaker 2: See, you can't set goals unless you have a plan.
Speaker 1: Write that down. I'm somebody writing this down because I'm telling you. You got to go through the why not meet. You got a plan which is prepared, learn to adjust, to navigate, and then you can start setting goals. Now, when you start setting goals, guess what you can start doing? Asking for stuff, asking to be evaluated. But there's a lot of people out there that don't want to be evaluated, Afraid of what they might hear, Afraid they might hear something negative, Afraid somebody might tell you you're not doing enough. So guess what happens to you. You get passed up. You become a frustrated employee, You about the water cooler, complaining, and that's when the racial thing starts popping up if you're a person of color. So I can't I can only speak of my side. I can only speak of the conversation I have because I've been a person of color all my life. There might be some white people over there, they might have the same story. I don't know, But I'm just telling you about my story and how I can't let you do things that will prevent you from being successful because you've decided to limit your ability to be great. What is this event where I was honored called Kings and Priests, Great honor, great event. It was a summit, men's summit. It was by enhance you mentally, Enhance you mentally, spiritually, physically, and emotionally. You know, one of my great walkaways was that these men were there to be motivated and to find answers, because that's all weas looking for out there in life is answers. So when I say why not me, I'm saying that not to challenge you for you to look into the possibility of how big you can be in life. So when I ask you to plan your goal, then I'm expecting you to have that in place in order for you to achieve success. So when we get down to the bottom line, the number one lesson you have to say, I don't care if you're eighteen, twenty five, forty fifty, or sixty five.
Speaker 2: Do not let your age be an excused. That's number one.
Speaker 1: Lissen heard that you're too young, You've heard that you're too old. You've heard that. Why are you doing that? You have no dreams? You should just give up. You can't start that.
Speaker 2: Now. These people right here.
Speaker 1: These negative people right here, you can allow them to have a role in your life.
Speaker 2: And these people are people you know. Could be your wife, could be your children, could be your co workers. Now have I struck a nerve? Yet?
Speaker 1: Are you surrounded by people who will not allowing you to win? Because you work at a place where you go to lunch, you hang out with all this negative spirit. All they want to do is talk about each other. All they want to do is gossip about each other. All they want to do is learn about your personal life. So guess what, so they can share it with everybody else. Because you did not understand your value proposition. Because see what happens is once you understand your value proposition, you don't hang out with people like that. You ever heard the word like minded? You hang out with people like minded? Now you heard the word stuck up? Hordy, tordy? Think they all that? Well, that's what value proposition is. You can't run for president and hang out with drug dealers. Two different value propositions, but a popular phrase that is out there in the streets every day keeping it real.
Speaker 2: Well, we're gonna keep it real to day.
Speaker 1: If you don't have a value proposition, you better get one. When I come back. We're gonna get any more detail about this because I'm not through. It's about your career. This is about you. Learn today, learn your plan, Learn why not me? We'll be right back with more money Making Conversation master Class.
Speaker 2: Please don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations master Class. Welcome back to Money Making Conversation master Class hosted by me Rashawn McDonald. Let's get back into it plan again. The four letters in plan Prepare that's what peace stands for. Learn, That's what the AL stands for. Adjust, that's what the A stands for. Navigate that's what the N stands for.
Speaker 2: I've shared this.
Speaker 1: Dorman shares the story right now value proposition, which I did not know, and my wife will tell you.
Speaker 2: She took this amazing course of Cornell. She came back way smarter.
Speaker 1: Than I wanted her to be because she kept asking me questions I refuse to.
Speaker 2: Answer out of frustration, such that you.
Speaker 1: Do you know you when you when you don't know you just I don't feel like talking today.
Speaker 2: I ain't got much to say. You know, you fight off.
Speaker 1: Ignorance with UH more ignorance with abruptness. You fight it off with uh, I ain't got time, statements or I'll get with you later. That's how you fight off ignorance. You fight it off with more ignorance instead of just sitting down and looking up the word value proposition and see if that word means something to you, see if that word has been successful. Because she couple them into me, she said, look, I think you could actually teach this course based on what I know, you know and what you have accomplished in life. But I couldn't teach the course because I didn't know what value proposition was. I didn't know how to apply. What was so special about me?
Speaker 2: What was you?
Speaker 1: What was on you about me? When I look at my career, I understand the uniqueness because there's so many lanes of success. But what I didn't know was how was I achieving that success? How was I achieving that success as an employee? How was I achieving this sec to get a raise? How was I achieving that success to get promoted? That's where the value proposition comes in and I didn't understand that. So guess what I was like, what I don't feel like talking to get with me later, So I'm telling you to stop that. When I was when I was twenty one years old, I was doing value proposition and didn't even know it. Let me give you an example. When I was hard that I be am in college. I left a full time job because I was wanted to go and just be a college student. I wanted to focus on my education. Well, they told me you could only work here for one semester. I had other job options that didn't have that restriction. They said, you can work here as long as you want.
Speaker 2: You're really good.
Speaker 1: We want to bring in smart minded people like you.
Speaker 2: You just do it.
Speaker 1: But I saw that big blue on my resume. I feel that would look good. Working for that would look good. But they told me you could only work one semester here. So what I did was I started working and I started getting to know it's called relationships, finding my voice. I started finding my voice. I started finding it at the time, I didn't know that was my value proper position, finding out what was unique, finding out what I was going to offer to my fellow co workers that no one else was going to offer. So I went to them and I asked them what didn't they want to do? And they told me, and I said, I do it to.
Speaker 2: Twenty people on that floor. It was a big old floor just in Houston, Texas, and I took all of their work that they didn't want to do because I had to, unbeknown somebody's strategy.
Speaker 1: I was just doing something I thought that the time was just common sense, but at the time was value proposition. I was creating a unique workspace for me that nobody else wanted to do what I did, So I was doing everybody's work. So guess what I did it in September. I did it in October. Come in November. I started letting them know. Guess what, I'll be gone in December. They're only going to keep me for one semester. Now, according to this program, they had never ever kept anybody beyond one semester. But look, I know at the time I was exercising my value proposition.
Speaker 2: I was creating a unique space.
Speaker 1: I was creating a market share on that floor that nobody else was doing.
Speaker 2: So guess what.
Speaker 1: I stayed there two and a half years because my value proposition that I created was unique and nobody else could do it but me.
Speaker 2: Did I get paid extra money? No?
Speaker 1: But I got to work there for another two years. And that's all I'm saying in this conversation. If you hear me clearly on this, hear this, it's time for you to understand. If you are not reaching your dreams, why not. Me needs to be put on your mirror every day so you're gonna understand that that's what you want to do now. If you don't have a plan, please put a plan in, prepare, learn, or just navigate. Don't let age be an excuse. I don't care if you're nineteen. I don't care if you're sixty five. Do not let age be an excuse. You find your voice by talking to positive people. You do not find your voice. Sharing bad ideas with other negative people. Stay away from negative people. That I said, don't talk to negative people. Stay away from negative people. Negative people will not help you find your voice. Set your goals, which I did not do immediately.
Speaker 2: When you're hired with.
Speaker 1: Your supervisor, I don't care if you're working for a fast food restaurant. I don't care if you're working for a fortune five or your company, go in that office and say, thank you for hiring me.
Speaker 2: What do you want me to do?
Speaker 1: Don't be afraid of the work responsibility that person's going to introduce in your life.
Speaker 2: But that's why you got hired.
Speaker 1: You can't set goals or put a plan in place if you don't know what they.
Speaker 2: Aspect of you.
Speaker 1: Wait around for an opportunity, Just do it, and we all know what that slogan is associated with.
Speaker 2: I've said this earlier.
Speaker 1: Not all opportunities when you're building your value proposition comes with a check to finally know your work environment.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm talking about today. Your greatness can be achieved.
Speaker 1: By your own personal effort, but it also can be not achieved by your own lack of effort. And the lack of effort is always tied to your plan, because if you don't have a plan, you will never ever set a goal. If you don't achieve a goal, you will not win.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to this episode.
Speaker 1: Now I need for you to do me a favor right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversation. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Please do me that favor.
Speaker 1: Follow a subscribe, money making conversations, keep winning,