Speaker 1: The volume. All right.
Speaker 2: The NBA season is in full swing, coming down the stretch. Then we move right into the playoffs in April, May and June. I can't wait. Spice things up with Draftking sports Book and official sports betting partner the NBA. Right now, all you have to do is put down five bucks and get one hundred and fifty dollars instantly in bonus bets. Pretty good trade off. I pay five, I get one hundred and fifty dollars. North Carolina listeners, do not forget. Welcome to the party. Draft King Sportsbook now live in your state, North Carolina. Download the Draftking sports Book app takes ninety seconds. The code is Colin col N Again ninety seconds. Download Draft King sports Book app.
Speaker 1: Put in Colin.
Speaker 2: New customers bet five, get one hundred and fifty back in bonus bets instantly. That is the trade all right. The code is always Colin.
Speaker 1: The crown is.
Speaker 3: Yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia, visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight open wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Voyd and Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. See DKNNG dot co, slash bball for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 4: What's up, everybody? Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show. There will be no guests this week. We will have We do have a couple of good guests coming up, so make sure you subscribe to the channel YouTube channel and tune in for those. One will be next week. Maybe we'll do both next week. We will see.
Speaker 1: But they are a couple guests that I'm very excited about.
Speaker 4: One being an incredible entrepreneur, absolutely amazing entrepreneur, NBA team owner, have some exciting news as of late as a team owner. And then two is another NBA champion currently in a nice spot to win another championship. Some would think, you know, I think I think he is too, But uh, if we got to a couple of great guests coming up, so make sure y'all lock into that. I'm not going to spoil a surprise and let you know who it is until it is who it is, and that will be next week, so make sure y'all lock into that. We will also talk today about the Dubs win last night.
Speaker 1: Talk a little March madness.
Speaker 4: I've had a little madness in my life when it came to March back in my heyday. Now y'all see the Michigan State, you know, throw back Michigan State on rocking. My guys play pretty soon, so I'm gonna have to lock into that. But before I get to that, let's just get through this podcast. Make sure y'all got something to tune into over the weekend the rest of the week. Lock into that does beat the Grizzlies one thirty five to one eighteen. It was a fun game. It was a very fun game to play in After a while, it picked up a little bit after the little thing with uh Santi a Doma and Desmond Bang. We walk y'all through that real quick. So santiy All Dama, by the way, santiy All Dama always like go at me like some type of way. By the way, those threes weren't on me, so don't don't try. I'm not talking about the point. He always talking some shit to me, and you know he got to put back and he just like walked straight through my chest Like It's always something like that with santiy All Doma and I know y'all like, oh, I don't know, Like number one, I really like his game. I was watching him shoot during warm ups, like right before the warm ups, seeing the maybe like a minute left and warm up manu and a half. I stand there, wants to clock into a minute, and I'm just looking the other way until the clock at a second, I turn make my level before the buzzer. That's my routine for I don't know how many years. And I was standing there just looking the other side, and I saw him shooting and he hit like seven in a row and they were just like so bounce, pure money, money, and I was like, Wow, he's shooting the lights out the ball, and you know, in hopes that that wouldn't translate to the game, and he started getting off.
Speaker 1: But Santiyalldama always go at me.
Speaker 4: From the very first time I seen him get in the game, missus Grizzy, he starts talking crazy to me. And so when he walked into my chest, like that's already knowing like.
Speaker 1: He'd go there every single time, which I respect a.
Speaker 4: Young guy in this league who's trying to make his name for himself to go at me every single time like that. I got nothing beloved and respect for that. I'm not gonna just let you walk through my chest, which is why opening my hand out to stop him. But I got nothing beloved for that. And he competes like crazy. He played hard as hell every time. He impact the game in a positive way every time we played at Grizzlies, regardless of who is out there on the floor signed to Adama plays. And then I was just standing there listening to the referee and Bang came grabbing my arms. I hate when people come from behind me and grab my arms because you number one, I can't see anything. Don't grab my arms because you never know what's going to happen. I need my arm, so don't grab my arms. And so I just got he started grabbing my arm, and I just like, nah, don't, don't grab my arm. I pushed back and then GP grabbed my arms from the other side, and I'm like, gee, I didn't know that was GP, and so I was pulling my arms.
Speaker 1: Away from GP.
Speaker 4: And then Taylor Jenkins took a dove and Taylor Jenkins milked it and I could not believe that he milked it like that. And he's walking, He's laying on the court milking, and their trainer comes up to him.
Speaker 1: And one of our players I'm not going to name.
Speaker 4: The player because it's pretty irrelevant to name the player and like, but he's walking back to our bench and the trainer asks Taylor Jenkins, like you okay? Like like what He's like, I'm okay, like trying to milk it, And that to me is absolutely insane. Like I told you all, it be players like trying stuff, and I know they be trying to get me kicked out the game, which to me is kind of like, eh, like it says a lot about you. As I said before, so I see that all the time. But like a coach taking the dive and then milking its crazy. You cannot milk it that long and then get up and like coach the rest of the game intensely, you got to go to the locker room for or second or something bro like you just can't you can't milk it like that, like that was that was crazy.
Speaker 1: And you have to be very careful, you know, because he tends.
Speaker 4: To get a louile emotional at times. I know, y'all be talking about me, but I played basketball. You got to play with them. But he tends to get a lowile emotional at times. I think sometimes his teams follow that, you know, when you look at them and like the playoffs in different situations, like as a coach, you have to be really careful with your emotions because your team take on your demeanor.
Speaker 1: Like you know, you've seen us in games.
Speaker 4: Over the course of these years where or in playoff series down and have to come back and it's like, oh, they're never rattled. Well, part of the reason we're never rattle is because Steve Kurz never rattled. Like so Steve Kurrin never loses like his composer, Like we could be down twenty points in the second quarter every game against the last four games of the series against the Huginson Rockets, and he's like, all right, like just keep playing defense and stick to the game plan. And James Harden is going to get tired and they'll start missing those threes and we'll make our run clockwork, you know. And so that's the that's what we followed and leads the championships, you know, so have to be very careful with that. So when he took that dive, I was alone. I mean, I can't say I'm surprised, but it's just like, at what lengths do you go to, man like, and you can't just milk it? And then later I'm okay, I'm okay, like trying, like, come on, Bro, that's what players do sometimes when they're trying to get a flag and fil they just later the trainer come up. They whispered to the trainer, I'm good, like that happens, Like you can't do that as the coach. I'm just sorry, Like that was crazy to me, And yeah, man, Bro took a dive anyway. Jonathan Kaminga last night was insane. Twenty six points twelve or seventeen from the field, two for three from three five boys, and four assists.
Speaker 1: The five boys is what I love.
Speaker 4: The most, although I think that still should be around seven or eight boards. A few games ago, Kaminga had like twenty four and he had two rebounds, and I let him live.
Speaker 1: I didn't say much to him about it, but.
Speaker 4: I wanted to really go out him about it, like, bro, you had two rebounds.
Speaker 1: I remember my mom did that to me. When I was playing at Michigan State.
Speaker 4: I had maybe thirty three at Gonzaga or something like that, thirty one, thirty four, something like that. I scored a at Gonzaga and we played at the pit, which, if you know, when big teams go to Spokane, Washington to play Gonzaga, they don't play at the pit. They actually play at the downtown Gonzaga Arena. No one really goes well. I played for Tom Mizzo. Shout out to Michigan State, and tom Izzo is going he as John Morn, he said, Tom Mizzo, running up your chimney.
Speaker 1: He coming to your gym. He playing you wherever. It don't matter. His thing is any time any plays will play. And so we go to the pit.
Speaker 4: And they're yelling over ready, trade mind your old race, my seeing you over rady, you suck Okay, gave them boys thirty something, you could look it up. I had two or three rebounds and I got you know, my mom At the time, my mom was my biggest credit, Like she'd go crazy after every game. It's like, oh, that was terrible, you did this value like biggest critic, and so I'm like, yes, Like I just went off like what she gonna say?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: When I called it right after the game, like hello, mam, what's up? She like, you had two rebounds? What what were you doing out there? And at the time my mom cursed. She didn't. She don't curse anymore. She's totally different person. She used to be like, what the hell were you doing out there? Like you had two rebounds? Hey, were you sleepwalking out there? And I'm just sitting there on the phone, like I just had thirty something points on the big road game at Goazzaga, Like what are we talking about? That's how my mind. I wanted to hit JK with one of those the other day, but I let him live. But five rebounds last night for us sist a couple of stills as well.
Speaker 1: I'll take I'll take the five rebounds over the two.
Speaker 4: But we're going to make sure JK get the rebounding more and more because he's more than capable. And if he's rebounding and then pushing the ball on the break. Did y'all see a couple of those breakaways? He ran right by Jake Lareve on one of those plays, he ran right by somebody else on a couple like he JK is shot out of a cannon when he decided to run. So with him getting more rebounds and just starting to break and pushing the break, then you have to account for a totally different thing. So we could we definitely will be chopping it up about that. But like I told y'all before, the young boy is a star. So buy your stakes now. As if there's a stock market, buy your stock now, buy low.
Speaker 1: Because the stock will be high.
Speaker 4: So when he's playing downhill with that type of force, we're a very tough team to beat. I don't care who we play against, because it just brings a different dimension to our team, and not everybody can provide that dimension. Is not everybody has that freak athleticism, has that skill.
Speaker 1: One thing JK no one ever talks about is his handle.
Speaker 4: He has a very underrated handle, and it suits him well and it allows him to do more with the basketball, which a lot of guys that jump and leap like that can't handle the ball like that and it limits them. Jk can handle the lights, I mean handle the ball. He can shoot the mid range very well, which again, when you're going to be an elite scorer and you can get to your spot to raise up over people Ala Kawhi Leonard.
Speaker 1: And Kawhi is the latest. You know, you go back to Kobe and MJ. Like those guys Mellow they get you to a spot.
Speaker 4: They just raising up and his money and I think John Zon Kaminga has the potential to master that shot as well. So it's good to see him have that game last night, especially against a young team like that. You need them young legs, and Kaminga had it going for us and it was great. Wiggs twenty two points, ten rebounds, and Wiggs has been shooting the lights out of the ball. I think he was four for six from three last night, but he's been shooting the ball really well. And again, when we have an aggressive Andrew Wiggins, let's face it, the proof is in the pudding, we win championship. That's that's what Andrew Wiggins can bring to a team. When we have an aggressive Andrew Wiggins, both sides of the ball, we compete for championships. So it's great to see Wiggs playing that way. And like I said, it just wasn't last night. He's been playing extremely well over the last month or so, and you know, you got to keep him going. That comes at the right time for us play with twenty three off the bench, five.
Speaker 1: For eleven from three Clay.
Speaker 4: There's obviously been a thing with Memphis for years, and Clay loves to play against that team.
Speaker 1: It just brings a certain competitive nature out of him.
Speaker 4: And when it does, you know, you get the Clay we had last night and the point god CP with twelve points and fourteen assists. But make no mistake about it, what's more impressive is the fourteen assists. But what's really more impressive about the fourteen assists zero turnovers, and Chris Paul.
Speaker 1: Is more than capable of doing that. He actually does that often.
Speaker 4: I cannot confirm this is just randomly off the top of my mind, but I'm pretty sure he's the guy with like a certain amount of assists and zero turnovers with the most of them in league history.
Speaker 1: I don't know what number of assists that is.
Speaker 4: I don't know how many times you've done it, but I know he've done it quite a bit and yeah, ready.
Speaker 5: He has the most games with tennisists and zero turnovers in NBA history fifty nine games. The next closest is Muggsy Bogues with forty six.
Speaker 4: Boom there it is Chris Paul absolutely incredible playmaker. We know that he's been at his entire career and when he's playing that aggressive and making plays that way, we're also a tough team to be and people have not seen much of that because I think, you know, he's worked his way into being more aggressive, but if you watch these games as a late he's been a lot more aggressive. And I love it because that opens up a different dimension, that gives you something that you don't see a tone with us, and I think it opens up different lineups. Chris Paul is a lineup connector. He make any lineup work. You can put him on the court with anybody and he can make it work. He's that smart, he's that elite of a point guard and it's great for us and for us last night, the defense definitely picked up.
Speaker 1: And really took control of the game for us.
Speaker 4: They was hitting a lot of threes, They shot a lot of threes, I think they shot thirty threes in the first half. They were twelve for thirty, so they were shooting the ball really well. And then you know, our defense picked up, and I'd like to say our defense picked up after the little thing. That's kind of when when when everything changed, when the little thing with Taylor Jenkins and Zmond bag which was nothing, by the way, but when that little thing happened, our defense went to another level and we never looked back from there. You know, we've had these games where we get a big lead and we get a lead back.
Speaker 1: Not last night.
Speaker 4: We controlled the game pretty much the entire way after that and it was our game for the taken. We have to do that more consistently, and I think that's a big you know, that's a that was a huge step in the right direction for us. That's the level of growth that you know, at this time of year, you want to see. So you know, it's important that we continue to put that together. I think we have fourteen games left, Yeah, fourteen games left in this season, and we all know what's at stake, we all know all the situations, so it'll be important for us to continue that.
Speaker 1: In other news, Lebron.
Speaker 4: James on the Mind the Game podcast with JJ Reddick, spoke about a plethora of different things, but one being.
Speaker 1: Lakers.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, the Warriors beat the Celtics in the finals because of basketball IQ. And of course you all know this is on the rundown of things because Jackson is always going to find a way to insert the Celtics into anything that he can possibly do. Talk about the Celtics because they're weird.
Speaker 1: Fans like Jackson get off by listening to how they lost us, So let's talk about this. That to a certain degree is very true.
Speaker 4: I think we definitely had a higher IQ at the time, but I think we also as more than just a higher IQ though, Like we had an higher IQ for sure, but it's also IQ in the moment, you know, like in these situations, like you get in these you know people, somebody can have a high IQ and get in those moments and completely lose it, like because the moment gets too big.
Speaker 1: You know. We saw Jared Allen a couple maybe that was last year, he said, man, those lives were brighter than we thought.
Speaker 4: I was very surprised when he came out and said that publicly, but it was as real as anybody could be. Like you get in these playoffs sometimes and this is the NBA Finals we're talking about, sometimes those lights can get a little bit brighter than you expected, and so and then you know, they were much younger and you.
Speaker 1: Know, had never been there. They had been to the Eastern Conference Finals, but had never been there. They were much younger, and so I think our basketball IQ was higher.
Speaker 4: I think at that time also our coaching staff basketball highkey was hied. The adjustments that we made throughout that series, it made all the difference in the series. But again we have been there before. Steve had been there, Mike had been there, Mike Brown, you know, they had been there, so they knew the adjustments to make like that. But I definitely think our IQ was better. Like I remember when we switched and start guarding and sending all those guys.
Speaker 1: Left like that kind of came.
Speaker 4: That came from the players like, yo, they can't go with their left hand, like go you know, like, let's send them left everywhere. Because as a coach, you're you're hesitant to do something like that as a coach because if you're on the right side of the floor and you're sending left that means you're sending left.
Speaker 1: I mean that means you're sending it to the middle.
Speaker 4: Go watch the NBA and tell me how many times guys intentionally send a pick and roll to the middle.
Speaker 1: Your defense ain't really built for that.
Speaker 4: And so we're telling guys like, yo, we're going to send them left and like spray out, like don't even stay in help, just spray out to shooters so they can't hit to shooters.
Speaker 1: And like it changed the entire series. That is an IQ thing. And so I think that's definitely crazy.
Speaker 4: And you know, and you know, for those of you out there that don't quite understand what I mean by IQ, it's like what level are you processing this game? And how are you processing these pictures? You know, in the course of the game, like pictures develop in every twenty seconds, every fifteen seconds, a different pictures developing. How fast can you process those picture? Take an IQ to another step? Can you process those pictures before the picture become clear? That's taken IQ to another level. And by the way, there's not many guys in the NBA. And when I say many, you're talking probably I'm gonna be generous and say less than twenty that can literally see the pictures, and that's being very generous by the way, that can see the picture before it even develops. That's a whole nother level of IQ. Chris Paul can see that, Lebron James can see that. I always go back to Ragion Rondo. I know Rondo is retired, but when it comes to basketball IQ, I've never in my life got an opportunity to talk the game.
Speaker 1: Of basketball with Ragion Rondo.
Speaker 4: I have the utmost respect for Ragion Rondo's basketball IQ. So anytime I mentioned IQ, you always hear me bring up Ragion Rondo, and I always will because to me, when it comes to IQ in the game of basketball, he is one of the goats.
Speaker 1: And I say that and I mean it like nobody somemout.
Speaker 4: Ray Jon Rondo is one of the ghosts when it comes to basketball IQ.
Speaker 1: So there's not a lot of guys that see those pictures before they happen.
Speaker 4: And quite frankly, you know, there's always the discussion of is IQ is that an innate thing?
Speaker 1: Like? Is it inherited?
Speaker 4: Like is that like like do you like, how does that come about? I wouldn't necessarily say inherit it that's crazy, but like, is it an innate thing or is it learned? And the reality is I think it's partly learned. Like my uncle taught me the game of basketball when I was young. When all these coaches was like rolling out of basketball telling guys go play. My uncle didn't roll out no basketball. He's like, all right, first, I'm gonna teach you all this game. I learned helpshid defense when I was in the first or second grade.
Speaker 1: Most guys don't learn that to high school. Some guys don't learn that to college. Some of these don't learn until they get to the NBA.
Speaker 4: I learned that in first second grade, So imagine the head start that I have with that, right, Like my uncle has always watched the games with me, and like look at this, see you see this.
Speaker 1: My uncle still sent me stuff about the game. And he my uncle ain't never coached past the elementary school level. Maybe he was like an assistant coach for my aunt at the high school level where and I don't think he went to games. He just go to practice.
Speaker 4: Like my uncle is a basketball teacher, like savantly like level teacher, and the the base that he builds for a not for basketball players. Out of this world. And so the foundation's out of this world.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 4: Number one, when I first started playing, I was taught the game of basketball. But then I also think, like there is some part of it that's in eight Like that's my gift, you know, Like Steph Curry's gift is his shot. Like I can go shoot the ball a million times and like get a million extra shots up, I would not be as good as shooter as Steph Curry.
Speaker 1: It just won't happen.
Speaker 4: Like Steph Curry has an innate ability to shoot the basketball. Not saying that you can't become a better shooter, but Steph Curry, like that's a gift, and then he worked his butt off to enhance that gift. And so you see some guys with gifts and they don't work, and like it don't work, you know, but like so Steph Curry has a gift of shooting the basketball and then you work your tail off and enhance it, right, Like so.
Speaker 1: That is a part of my gift, Like my basketball.
Speaker 4: I Q no matter what level of play that I've always been a savvy player.
Speaker 1: And you know that's so back to the original.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was part of the reason that we beat the Celtics was because of our basketball IQ. Before we get out of here, let's talk a little bit of March Madness and then we'll have a couple uh giveaway winners for you guys have asked, promised, But my March madness, Man, March Madness is such a fun time of year. It's quite frankly, if I'm honest, it's really the only time I can watch college basketball because I can't really get into college basketball. It just never makes sense to me how in college basketball your guarding every player the same, Like if if if we got Steph Curry coming off of screen and roll in college basketball and me coming off of screen and roll in college basketball, and BP Brandon Pozemski coming off in college They're gonna guard that's ball screen the same exact way, no matter what. And you, like, you can't possibly tell me that best sushi defense like gardener screen and roll with Steph Curry the same way that you guard a screen and roll. Me, Like, you just can't tell me that that puts you in the best position to be successful. So you watch like these college games and like these coaches make no adjustments, Like if you start off with something that work. It works till the end of the game, like they don't want to make any adjustments.
Speaker 1: It just it doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 4: The basketball be so bad, Like you watch most of these games, the basketball be awful. Like again, I am someone that pride myself on basketball i Q and sometimes I'm watching some of these games just trying to figure out the type of offense they run, and you can't even make it out, Like you can't even make out what style offense they run. So I only watch during marsh Madness and saying that, you know, for me, as someone who went through it, I'm not sure I have like crazy favorite moment to March Madness. Like everybody loves the upsets. That's great, like fine, but like I don't. I'm not one that kind of has this these all these favorite moments. My favorite moment would be winning the championship. I never fucking done it. I lost in the championship, and so I'm just not gifted with that moment. I think the one moment I love the most if I had the point to any moment of seeing the one shining moment at the end of the game, at the end of the the NCAA Final because coaches appreciate that to us, like he made you have such a strong appreciation for that song, because that's all he talk about every year all years, like, yo, like you just want to be the like you want to be the last one standing. You want to hear that one shining moment playing while you're standing on the court, like and.
Speaker 1: So he would just talk that to us all the time. So I have such.
Speaker 4: A large appreciation for that moment because that's the moment that was kind of embedded in us.
Speaker 1: That's the moment that was sold to us.
Speaker 4: And obviously I never got a chance to live it, but I always enjoy seeing it because it was something that I strived for and it's one of few goals that I never reached. But if I had to pick, that would be.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite moments. Today we got my spartans.
Speaker 4: Michigan State versus Mississippi State, and when we win, we will play in North Carolina.
Speaker 1: And I am telling y'all, it's all, don't lose.
Speaker 4: The second game in the weekend. You give me the first game. This is this is time Mizell talking to you. You get me the first game, I will get you the second game. You give me the first, I'll get you the second game of the weekend. Now often does he fail when he say that? And he say that every time. So I'm rolling with my spartans to be Mississippi State, with my spartans to be North Carolina. I hope for your bracket sake that you roll with the same thing, because if not, you will be like Quinn derry Weatherspoon who called me talking about he wants to bet on Mississippi State, which is a football school, and he want to bet on them against my Spartans. If you see this episode before the end of that game, this will be taken off the episode if we lose, And if you see this episode at the end of the game, you would not see this park.
Speaker 1: So don't even worry about it.
Speaker 4: It'll be a social media behind the scenes out of the scenes, and.
Speaker 1: I'll just give it to y'all that way.
Speaker 4: But those Spartans, Tomzzo, mister March, this is his time of year.
Speaker 1: I can it's gonna be a farmer. But Jack, So, who is our who is our winners for the giveaway? If we said we would do two giveaways, who are to our winners?
Speaker 5: Are these are both from Twitter. Thank you guys for subscribing to the show. The winners are Raider as Techa at Oakland five to ten and Luke Stevens at Luker zero five zero or zero five one seven. So if you guys are still listening to the show, we hope you're still subscribed even after the giveaway, check your Twitter. Dms I will be there and we will get you guys here signed jerseys and we will be doing more giveaways in the future, so make sure to lock in fire.
Speaker 1: That's what we got. Raider asked Techa at Oakland five to one.
Speaker 4: Oh, well, I'm happy you want anyway, because I love Oakland. I got nothing but love for Oakland, so I'm very happy you want. And then Luke Stevens at Luker zero five one seven, make sure y'all check y'all. DM Jackson will be there making sure you get your giveaway items till next time.
Speaker 1: That's a rap from Draymond Green Show Peace lilil Ver, Climate Very Climate Liver